Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, come on your Story Hours on.
Speaker 2: Welcome to your Story Hour. I'm Aunt Nicki and.
Speaker 3: I'm Uncle John, and we're here to bring you today's inspiring story. Say, Aunt Nikki, you know what what, Uncle John. With all the people around the world who listen to your Story Hour, I'm beginning to feel well popular.
Speaker 2: Well, now, Uncle John, I guess you might just be popular. After all, A popular person is someone who is liked, admired, or enjoyed by others, and you're all of the above.
Speaker 3: Oh, Aunt Nikki, you're going to make me blush? Do you really think so?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: What got you thinking about popularity anyway?
Speaker 3: Well, I read a quote today by an actor who said, I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win a popularity contest. I'm here to be the best human being I possibly can be.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's a very good thought, Uncle John.
Speaker 3: I agree. I want to be the best human being I can possibly be too.
Speaker 2: Then, I'm sure you'll relate to the two girls in Aunt Carol's story for today. They did what they believed was right, no matter what other people thought of them.
Speaker 3: Well, then I'm eager to hear all about it wonderful.
Speaker 2: But first I should let you know that part of this story is told through the eyes of one of the main characters. It is, and very little has been written about this experience of hers. So we've taken the bits and pieces that we know about her adventure and woven them together.
Speaker 3: But the heart of the story is true, oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So listen now as we bring you the story entitled The Sisters Grimkey.
Speaker 4: Sarah and Angelina Grimkey were Southern Bills born in South Carolina, the daughters of wealthy plantation owner and respected judge John Grimkey. Sarah and Angelina witness first hand the brutality of slavery. Though Sarah was thirteen years older than her sister, whom she called Nina, the two were inseparable in their abhorrence of slavery and in their campaign for the right of women to vote. Starting in eighteen thirty six, the sisters toured New England, giving speeches known as parlor talks to inspire new female anti slavery societies in the North. Many people rejected and criticized their activist behavior. Our story begins just outside of a Quaker meeting hall.
Speaker 5: Didst though take notice of the women walking toward our Quaker meeting hall.
Speaker 6: I would recognize the notorious Sarah and Angelina Grimkey anywhere, though it's been a while since they regularly attended our meetings.
Speaker 5: Since before they were ostracized by the Philadelphia Society of Friends. We strongly object to their association with non Quakers in their fight for the abolition of slaves.
Speaker 6: Yes, their involvement in politics shames us.
Speaker 5: All sh they're approaching.
Speaker 6: Hello, friends, Hello Sarah, Will THEE and thy sister sit with us today?
Speaker 1: Thank you for the invitation, but we're going to sit on the bench at the back of the meeting.
Speaker 6: Hall, the colored bench.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're welcome to join us.
Speaker 5: We could never mingle with those women.
Speaker 6: Well, since the Lord created all men and women as equals, Angelina and I shall mingle with them. We shall go inside and take our seats. May the Holy Spirit speak to thy heart to day and to yours.
Speaker 1: Surprises me that some Quakers who believe in the abolition of slavery object so strongly to the idea of treating black citizens.
Speaker 7: The same as white citizens.
Speaker 6: Sad Indeed, hopefully we can lead by example. Speaking of which, yes, look Nina that black Quaker woman standing over there by herself. Yes, let's go talk to all right, excuse me, May my sister and I sit next to you when we go inside.
Speaker 8: For the service, thee would sit next to me.
Speaker 6: Yes, we would then welcome.
Speaker 8: Imagine the renowned Grinky Sisters sitting next to me. I've not yet been to one of thy parlor talks. But folks say so many women attend thy talks that a parlor cannot contain the crowd.
Speaker 1: That's true, So our parlor talks are mostly held in churches.
Speaker 6: But we've been granted an opportunity to speak at the Massachusetts State House, to the House of Representatives, to the state legislature.
Speaker 8: But you're women.
Speaker 6: We will be the first women in America to ever speak to a legislative body.
Speaker 1: Sarah is quite excited. She dreamed of being an attorney when she was a child.
Speaker 8: Oh how I long to hear thy plans. But look, we must hurry inside, otherwise we'll miss the service.
Speaker 4: As the day of their appearance before the Massachusetts State Legislature approached, the Grimky Sisters spent many hours planning their speeches.
Speaker 1: Sarah, can we go over our speeches again? Again?
Speaker 6: We've already practiced them twice. I know.
Speaker 1: I just want to make sure we could make our presentation to the House of Representatives in our sleep if we had to.
Speaker 6: All right, I will start out by presenting the concept that God created men and women as equals. Therefore, as citizens of this republic who equally share in the fate of our beloved nation, women should have equal political power to men.
Speaker 1: And then I'll refer to the petitions against slavery the twenty thousand women in Massachusetts have signed. I'll speak on their behalf about the inhumanity and immorality of slavery.
Speaker 6: Together, we will present a case of such sound reasoning that any attorney would be proud of our argument.
Speaker 4: However, things did not turn out as the sisters planned.
Speaker 1: Oh, Sarah, you sound like death.
Speaker 6: Death is a knocking at my door yet, but a nasty cole decided to let himself in without even asking my permission. Oh Nina, I don't think. I don't think I'll be able to speak tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Or you have to speak, Sarah. Presenting an argument to a legislative body is the culmination of your life's dreams and plans. Dearest Nina, you can bring my dreams to life.
Speaker 9: Me.
Speaker 6: But how as Moses spoke the words of God to the children of Israel. You can speak my words to the House of Representatives, but you've heard me present my argument, and Paula talks all over New England.
Speaker 1: True, and I do know exactly what you would say to the legislat.
Speaker 6: You are well prepared for this challenge, and I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.
Speaker 1: I might be well prepared, but I've I've ever spoken to an audience without you by my side. I'm terrified to do it alone.
Speaker 6: How about I tell you a story to call you nerves?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, please distract me all right.
Speaker 6: Let me think of a story that might do the trick.
Speaker 4: Hm.
Speaker 6: I know, I'll tell you the story of my greatest act of disobedience. As you know, we grew up on our family plantation and were taught all the skills our parents believed would help us manage a wealthy home. We learned arithmetic, how to pick cotton, and how to embroider dainty flowers on to cushions. But I was much more interested in the scholastic areas that our brothers were learning. One day in the library, Thomas spread out a large map on the table to show.
Speaker 10: Me see, Sarah. This map is of South Carolina. The dots show where all the towns are, and our plantations should be about here. Interesting, And this dot right by the ocean is Charleston, the town we visit every summer.
Speaker 9: What are these monks that look like bumps?
Speaker 10: Those are the Appalachian Mountains the corner of South Carolina.
Speaker 7: Oh well, will will? I see you're giving your sister a geography lesson Thomas. Yes, Father, Well, I must borrow your student for a moment. Sarah, come with me. I have a surprise for you.
Speaker 9: I love surprises. Where is my surprise?
Speaker 2: Father?
Speaker 7: Your surprise is standing right in front of you.
Speaker 9: Hello, miss a girl. Father, you've brought me a.
Speaker 7: Friend, not a friend, Sarah, a sleeve. This is Hitty, your very own slaw.
Speaker 9: Hetty. What a pretty name, and you look very friendly. I think I should like you as much as I like your name.
Speaker 6: Despite Father's differentiation between slaves and friends, Hetty and I quickly became inseparable. She was my closest playmate.
Speaker 9: Hetty. Let's arrange my doll collection. Oh they so pretty? I know. With pretend we're acting out saying, from the Bible, maybe the story of Esther? Who's Esther? You don't know the story of Queen Esther?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: What about other Bible stories? Do you know the story of Ruth and bowass Gno, Miss Isaac and Rebecca?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: Why don't you know these Bible stories? Slaves don't get Bible learning. Well, I think you should be taught about the Bible, you and all the other slave chilling. I'm gonna ask father, Father, will be in the library with my brothers and so.
Speaker 7: Boys always remember that a good lawyer.
Speaker 9: Please, Father, Sarah, Father, can I teach the slave chilling about the Bible? What? Hetty doesn't know any Bible stories? She says, slave chilling aren't taught about the Bible, but they should be. Can I teach them?
Speaker 7: Well, now that's an interesting dilemma, a provocative topic. I was just setting up a debate for your brothers. How would you like to participate?
Speaker 9: Oh? Yes, but suh, she's.
Speaker 10: A Yeah, she's a girl.
Speaker 9: But you know, when I grow up, I want to be an attorney.
Speaker 7: And you know that girls cannot become attorneys. But you can provide good practice for your brothers. So boys, listen up. Yes, Father, Thomas and Sarah will have a debate. Thomas, you shall argue against teaching slave children the Bible. Sarah shall support the idea. Ready begin, give me a moment to think.
Speaker 10: Okay, thought about a reason why slaves shouldn't be taught the Bible. People say that if slaves knew the Bible's teachings, they would become rebellious.
Speaker 9: Thomas, the Bible shouldn't make people rebellious.
Speaker 1: But the opposite.
Speaker 9: The wisest man whoever lived, King Solomon said that only an evil man seeks rebellion.
Speaker 10: Well, what about Moses? He freed the children of Israel from slavery. Don't you think that our slaves would start looking for their own Moses.
Speaker 9: Why would slaves look for a Moses when they could look to Jesus, the Creator and Savior of the whole world. And Jesus taught his disciples if anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.
Speaker 10: Father. That's not fair. How can I refute something Jesus said?
Speaker 7: Well, then, Sarah, you've won this debate. I swear if you were born a boy, you just might have become the greatest attorney in the country. So may i, father, may you become an attorney.
Speaker 9: No, may I teach the slave children about the Bible.
Speaker 7: Oh, I have many reservations about this idea, bud Yes, you may, thank you father.
Speaker 9: How do you wait? Yes, miss, Father gave me permission to tell bob stores on Sunday afternoons. H how wonderful. In Bible times, it was illegal for anyone to appear uninvited before the King of Persia. If they did, they were killed. Esther, the queen, was a Jew. She found out that an evil man was plotting to have all the Jews killed. So to save the lives of her people, as to put on her finest dress and so her glittering crown on her head. Then she bravely marched to the king's court, right past the scary guards. What happened? Then? The king recognized his lovely wife and held out his scepter in welcome that nut she won't be killed.
Speaker 6: I loved telling Hetty and the other children Bible stories, but I longed to teach them to read the scriptures for themselves. It didn't seem right to have them hear about the lord's second hand. So I did something that I knew would make our father angry if he were ever to find out.
Speaker 9: Hmmmmmm, Hetty, have you ever wished you could read the Bible?
Speaker 11: Yes, miss, but as slaves don't know how to, I can teach you to read namas it's illegal for slaves to learn how to read. I don't want no trouble, but bro it.
Speaker 9: If no one ever found out, it will be a secret just between the two of us.
Speaker 2: We'll find out what happens to Sarah and Hetty in a minute. But first, Uncle John and I want to tell you kids about Adventures in the Holy Bible.
Speaker 3: That's right, Aunt Nikki. We are so fortunate to live in a time where we can read the Bible in the open. We don't have to keep our Bible studies a secret.
Speaker 2: The Bible is full of such interesting stories and good life lessons.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Adventures in the Holy Bible is such a fun way to get to know the Bible better.
Speaker 2: The Adventures are a series of fun and free Bible lessons. They are non denominational, which means they take you through Bible principles without promoting any particular church's beliefs.
Speaker 3: And the best part is that as you complete the lessons you'll be earning for f read our stories on the life of Jesus.
Speaker 2: We encourage you to check out the adventures on our website at yourstoryour dot org. But now let's get back to our story called the Sister's Grim.
Speaker 9: Ky.
Speaker 6: I knew it was illegal to teach slaves to read, but I didn't care. The most important thing was that heady learn how to read the scriptures.
Speaker 11: Your hair is so soft, miss.
Speaker 9: Good, then you don't need to brush it anymore. Instead, I can teach you how to read. Ah hear RDI is my spellumble. I'm gonna use it to teach you your letters. But but why somebody, Jesus, nobody will see us. We'll be careful. I'll only give you reading lessons that night, when you're supposed to be helping me get ready for bed. Come, let's go step by the fire so we can see. Yes, niss, all right? See this letter that looks like a snake. It sounds like a snake to you. It's an as s S makes a sound. It's the first letter in my name, Sarah. What's the first letter in my name? It's right here h H When H is at the beginning of a name or sentence, it looks like a gate c. But when it's in the middle of a word, it looks like this, more like a chair.
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's just the house creaking. It does that, and not when the temperature changes. Oh I was Yeah, somebody found us out. Don't worry, Hetty, our lessons are gonna go just fine, Hetty. I just told mother that I'm getting ready for bed, and I will. But first, are you ready for your reading? Oh? Yes, miss sh Grab the spilling boot and come over.
Speaker 4: By the fire.
Speaker 11: First, I need to hang a planket over the keyhole in the door as usual, so that nobody can peek in and see what would do it?
Speaker 9: And now to get the book, come and sit right here next to me. Okay, ready, let's start with an easy review. What's this letter? Jay? Correct? In this letter?
Speaker 6: You good?
Speaker 9: You know the whole alphabet now, and you've also been getting better out sounding out words. So I'm gonna write a short sentence and see if you can read it. What does this say? God loves me? God loves me? I can read it. Yay, you can read.
Speaker 6: Days and weeks passed in a flurry. I could hardly wait for evening to come so I could continue Heady's reading lessons. Teaching Heady to read and write made me feel daring and invincible. I didn't think anything could go amiss, but I was wrong.
Speaker 9: Here Heady read this, and God said, let there be light. Oh no, somebody's.
Speaker 12: Coming, Sarah.
Speaker 7: Sarah, I came to tell you that Thomas has been accepted at Yale for college.
Speaker 9: Thomas is a leaving Yes.
Speaker 7: I know he thinks he wants to be a minister, but I'm sure that attending Yale would show him that his best course of action is to become an attorney like me.
Speaker 9: I don't want Thomas to go away to college.
Speaker 7: I know that, Sarah, but he Sarah, why is your slave holding a spelling book? Um?
Speaker 9: Well we were.
Speaker 7: You know that's illegal, Sarah.
Speaker 9: I just want to teach Hetty how to read the Bible.
Speaker 7: But that is against the law. You disappoint me, my daughter. Your disobedience will have grave consequences. Sarah. I am an attorney and a judge, and you, my daughter, flout the law under my own roof. My life's work has been to compile the laws of South Carolina, and you have knowingly broken those very laws. Don't you know that if anyone were to find out that you have been teaching your slave to read, our family would be fined one hundred dollars. Father, No, you listen to me, young lady. Hetty is going to be severely punished, and if I ever see her reading again, I will have her whipped.
Speaker 9: Father.
Speaker 6: No, No, I couldn't bear the thought of Hetty being whipped. But I also couldn't bear the thought of her and in her reading lessons. What a quandary. Tragically, however, the problem was solved for me. Shortly after our reading lessons were discovered, Hetty got sick and died. I was inconsolable.
Speaker 7: Sarah, Sarah, I am sorry about Hetty, but.
Speaker 9: She was just a slave.
Speaker 7: Come, I'll give you another girl to take her place.
Speaker 9: No, I'll never have a slave again.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Sarah. Look at that sunshine. Come now, it's been weeks since your slave died, and I Missy in your lovely smile. But I think I have a way to bring your smile back. I have a surprise for you.
Speaker 9: I told you before, I don't want another slave.
Speaker 7: Come and see this surprise is not a slave.
Speaker 9: It isn't what is it then?
Speaker 7: Just come along meet your baby, sister, Angelina. I know you've been eager for our baby's arrival, and she was born last night.
Speaker 9: She's so beautiful, just like her mother, and she has such tiny fingers and tiny toes. Can I be her godmother? Please?
Speaker 7: We'll see.
Speaker 6: After much begging, father and mother agreed to let me be your godmother. I took the responsibility very seriously and prayed to God, asking that he make me worthy of the tame as I resolved to raise you to be a woman of integrity. And look at you now, you are getting ready to speak to the Massachusetts House of Representatives.
Speaker 9: I am so proud of you, my beautiful Nina.
Speaker 1: Oh Sarah, I am who I am because of you. From my whole life. You have modeled the courage to do what is right, even to the point of breaking the law. Your character reminds me of Queen Esther.
Speaker 6: I remind you of Queen Esther.
Speaker 1: Yes. In fact, tomorrow, when I'm speaking to the Legislature, I will draw parallels between our mission of life and love and that of Esther. We are also trying to save a race of people.
Speaker 5: That is true.
Speaker 1: And now, my dear sister, I shall leave you to rest and recover. You have given me the courage I need to face tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Despite Angelina Grimkey's positive words, she was terrified as she walked to the State House the following morning on February twenty one, eighteen thirty eight. Angelina and her sister had already visited sixty seven New England towns to give parlor talks and addressed over forty thousand people, but her heart hammered in her chest as she saw the crowds heading to the State House to hear her speak.
Speaker 13: You mind, it looks like everyone in Boston is coming to hear the Grimkey sisters. I heard the people started arriving two hours ago.
Speaker 14: Well, it is the first time in our country's history that a woman will speak to a state legislature.
Speaker 1: Quite momentous, and.
Speaker 13: I'm eager to witness the grand event me too.
Speaker 14: Who just look at all the people gathered around the State House building.
Speaker 7: It's doubtful we'll get a seat.
Speaker 13: I'm willing to stand in the back as long as I can hear the speech.
Speaker 5: That's the spirit.
Speaker 14: Oh, I see one of the Grimkey sisters walking toward us. Angelina, I recognize her from the parlor talk I attended.
Speaker 13: She looks nice. I wonder why the Daily Press nicknamed her Devilina?
Speaker 15: Where's that Devilina?
Speaker 14: Woo, sir, why don't you like Angelina Grimkey?
Speaker 15: Women have no mind for politics.
Speaker 5: Excuse me?
Speaker 15: The gentler sex belongs in the sphere of her home. There is no place for her in the political arena. But there's only one reason those disreputable Grimkey sisters will parade themselves in front of the legislature to catch themselves our husband.
Speaker 14: The Grimkey sisters have the support of the Anti Slavery Society. Society members have traveled to Boston, all the way from Springfield and Worcester to hear them speak today.
Speaker 12: Ah prah, missus Grimkey has a ryd ye.
Speaker 9: Excuse me, Will you let me through? Make way for mister.
Speaker 4: The State House was packed. Legislators sat in their reserved seats on the floor, while Anti Slavery Society members and curious onlookers filled the gallery and lined the back walls. The chatter of the boisterous crowds suddenly hushed as Angelina Grimkey entered the room.
Speaker 12: As Chairman of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. I would like to welcome Angelina Grimkey to the floor. Here, my dear, you will be best seen and heard from my spots.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm so nervous, like cold faint.
Speaker 1: Oh Lord, give me.
Speaker 16: Strength, mister chairman, I stand before you as a Southerner, exiled from the land of my birth by the sound of the lash and.
Speaker 1: The piteous cry of the slave.
Speaker 16: I stand before you you as a moral being, and as a moral being, I feel that I owe it to the suffering slave, and to the deluded master, to my country and the world, to do all that I can to overturn a system of complicated crimes built upon the broken hearts and the prostrate bodies of my countrymen in chains. I stand before you as a citizen on behalf of the twenty thousand women of Massachusetts whose names are enrolled on petitions which have been submitted to the Legislature. Man who was created in the image of his maker never can.
Speaker 1: Properly be termed a thing man, I assert, never was.
Speaker 16: Put under the feet of men by the first Charter of human Rights, which was given by God.
Speaker 4: Angelina Grimkey spoke to the Massachusetts Legislature for two hours. Her compelling first hand accounts of slavery gripped all those listening. The Chairman of the House of Representatives was so moved by her speech that tears shone in his eyes as he welcomed Angelina to return to the State House in a couple of days to present a closing argument. No one was happier to hear of Angelina's success than Sarah. Together the sisters Grimkey rejoiced in the knowledge that they had bravely stood for what was right and.
Speaker 3: Just what an inspiring story, Aunt Nikki, and you know, the society of friends in the story sounds a bit familiar to me.
Speaker 2: You have a good memory, Uncle John. In the past, we've presented a couple of stories about people who were part of the society of Friends, or some times known as Quaker's. In fact, one of the stories is about a woman who was a good friend of Sarah and Angelina Grimkey. Really who Lucretia mott Ah, Yes.
Speaker 3: I remember her. She's the woman who boycotted goods that were produced with cotton or sugar that came from slave labor exactly.
Speaker 2: She may have even been the one to inspire Angelina Grimkey to do the same thing. In fact, Angelina was married just three months after she spoke to the Massachusetts House of Representatives, and she made sure that her wedding cake did not contain sugar produced by slaves.
Speaker 3: What a woman of character.
Speaker 2: And boys and girls, we have many other exciting stories of people who have made a difference in our world.
Speaker 3: You can find them right on our website at your story hour doorg. But until next time, goodbye, and remember we love you very much.