Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray's Costin's video.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. I will bet you that some of you had a holiday today. If you work for the federal government, I found out the post office was closed, went to mail a couple of letters. If you work for the state, it's a holiday here in Massachusetts. Is Christopher Columbus Day. Nationally? Is Christopher Columbus Day here in Massachusetts. Although there's a lot of people who don't think it should be Columbus Day. Christopher Columbus Day. I like Christopher Columbus Day. As you know, I'm not Italian, but I feel it's it's a holiday that we've celebrated for many, many years with us. Is State Representative Jeff Turco. Jeff is from for those of you who are keeping score from you, Winthrop and you have a little bit of Revere maybe as well, Jeff, if I'm not mistaken, I.
Speaker 3: Do, damn. I have a little forty percent of the city of Revia in all of my childhood, in all of Winthrops and.
Speaker 4: All of Winthrop.
Speaker 2: And I know that you celebrated a holiday today. Tell us what you did today?
Speaker 3: Can I say it in public? Dear? I hope, so happy Columbus Day. I say to you, this is it's been a federally recognized and state recognized holidays since at least I believe, in nineteen thirty seven. First recognized in this country in eighteen ninety two in response to the largest single day lynching of Americans in the history of this country in New Orleans in eighteen ninety one, when eleven Sicilian Americans are brutally murdered because they were Sicilian. And that's where the tradition of recognizing Columbus Date comes from. And I'm proud to support it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I wish you were happy on Columbus Date as well.
Speaker 2: I had many friends and many listeners in the show proud supporters of Columbus Day. When we talked earlier today, I thought you made a great point and that, uh, there's plenty of room in the calendar for other other days, and there's no reason that we cannot also have a day celebrating indigenous people. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the second Monday or whatever the designation is. When when you and I were growing up, it was always October twelfth because that was Columbus's birthday.
Speaker 4: Correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but I believe I'm correct.
Speaker 3: Yep, yes, sir, And yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you think there almost seems to be like a group of folks who not only want Indigenous People's Day, but they want to make sure it's on what what what would have been?
Speaker 4: Or what would yeah, would have been Columbus Day?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, well that's it the end. I mean, this is like you have to look at Yeah, I'm sure there are some people of good motive, but you have to look at the underlying motive behind this. I mean, these people are not proposed to replace Columbus with Vespucci Day or of Arizona Day. You know, they're simply looking to pit one ethnic group against another group. And it's just really is beyond the pale upsetting. You know, the United Nations recognizes Indigenous People Day on August ninth. It's the only month of the year we don't have a holiday. If people wanted to recognize Indigenous people, they can easily go to August ninth. But this is there's something more sinister behind this effort, and that effort really is let's wipe Italian people off the face of the calendar and that's the path that's so difficult to swallow. That people don't know the history. They're blinded by the lack of education of why we celebrate Columbus Day and why it means so much to people of Italian American descent in the United States. And that's why many of us are fighting to educate people and talk about the eleven Sicilian Americans who were killed, and why did President Harrison and why did President Roosevelt make the decision to recognize Columbus Day in this country? And why is it the law of land now? I mean the you know these communities that ignore the law. I mean the city of Boston and Cambridge and Newton sort of, they're like the modern day election deny is instead of denying election results, they deny the law, the Carmelwaalth and law of the United States, and say, oh, we disagree with the law, so we're going to ignore it. And it really is just it's offensive.
Speaker 2: Interesting point are the efforts at the legislature to replace Columbus Day. I mean, it is at this point a Massachusetts state holiday. Massachusetts state. I don't believe the state State House was open and functioning today. I know the federal government wasn't open and functioning post offices were closed. Is there a there has to be some members of the legislature who would like to change the celebration today from Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, are you? I mean, there's definitely there's a move afoot. It's been for a number of years. People that you know, have filed legislation to get rid of Columbus Day, to stop recognizing the contributions of Italian Americans, to call Indigenous People Day. And fortunately that bill has it's all, it's come out of committee the last couple of years, but it's never gotten beyond that process. And I think that's the feeling amongst a lot of legislators that you know, enough is enough to all cancel culture, applying today's standards to the standards of hundreds of years ago, you know, as well as your kid. Really, the sadness in the year twenty twenty four to be pit trying to pit Italian Americans against Indigenous people is just quite an affront to all, to both groups.
Speaker 2: Really, what I want to do is I want to take a break, Jeff. I'd like to have you stay with us and invite people to call. There has to be a way in which both groups can be reconciled here and that there can be a celebration of both groups. And it would seem to me that the easiest and the cleanest solution would be to maintain Columbus Day as it has been holiday for nearly one hundred years, and then add something to the calendar you mentioned August ninth. There may be other proposals out there, but again, I don't like this idea about one group has to win and one group has to lose a day that they've celebrated for decades. I don't have I don't happen to be either an indigenous person or an Italian American, although my children a twenty five percent Italian American. And let's let's see what people have to say. I do think, Jeff, you just made a point that resonated with me, and that is that it seems to me that the fervor to replace Columbus Day has diminished in the last two or three years.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 2: And now if people can reach out and come to an agreement where both groups do not feel diminished in any way and both groups are given due recognition. I think that's the way to go. Uh, we'll see what our listeners think. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. My guest is State Representative Jeff Turco. He's a Democrat in the legislature. He represents forty percent of the city of Revere as well as the town of Winthrop. And we'll be back with phone calls in more conversation, and I'll give you a little bit of a sense of how both of these days were celebrated. WBZ covered Columbus Day celebrations as well as as as an Indigenous People Day celebration as well.
Speaker 4: We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: This was one of the Columbus Day reports filed today by Kyle Shaffle of the WBZ. Kyle Chef Hio Okay, Hio okay, Hile Schaffle Okay. I wasn't sure that pronunciation. This is cut number twenty six.
Speaker 5: It's become a sensitive cultural nerve. They didn't want Columbus to even exist.
Speaker 4: But US Italians, you know, he means a lot to us.
Speaker 5: The opposition to Columbus Day and the push to rename it as Indigenous People's Day has gained steam in recent years, but in Boston, Columbus still has his champions.
Speaker 2: It's bravery against the unknown to set sail across the void.
Speaker 4: Basically at that point.
Speaker 5: Mark was wearing an honest to goodness Christopher Columbus outfit he bought online. The Italian Americans have seen the day as a celebration of their heritage since the late eighteen hundreds. That's why the Italian American Alliance is holding this event here in East.
Speaker 2: The grades were stopped in the north there in East Boshington, so we didn't want the tradition to disappear.
Speaker 5: For many here, Columbus and Italian heritage is still a point of prime.
Speaker 2: I tell people we have Columbus Leonardo da Vinci Volentino.
Speaker 5: Style Schaffele w busy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, right back again with state Representative Jeff Turco. Jeff, let's see what our listeners think about this. You very clearly want to maintain Columbus Day, which I understand, but you would not be opposed to supporting a piece of legislation which would add to the Massachusetts holiday calendar a day recognizing the contribution of Indigenous Americans and their ancestors.
Speaker 3: Correct. Correct, and in fact, just to prove the hypocrisy of the people against Coumbus Day, I intend to file legislation and the next legis session to name August ninth as Indigenous People Day in the Commonwealth and to recognize the contributions of Indigenous and Native American people. I'm going to say, you can do that without attacking the Italian people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, When you do that, let me know and we'll do some We'll support you on that, because again I appreciate them.
Speaker 3: We're definitely gonna do that in January in the next filing session.
Speaker 2: Well, then you can count on it. You let me know. In the meantime, let's go to phone call. It's going to go start it off tonight with our friend Karen in Wisconsin. Karen, you are first on night side with Jeff Turco, SAT representative here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Karen, Hi, Jeff. Dan actually actually and probably calling off topic because I heard Dan say what did you do for the holiday? And so I picked up the phone call before.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what you call. Took the time to go, what what did you celebrate today?
Speaker 6: Well, I didn't realize it was actually holiday all day until I just got a message and somebody said Happy Indigenous People's Day to me, and which I wrote back, well, and she gave me good news and I just wrote back yippie for you. But I love Indians and out here I was brought up with Indian, you know, with Indians, and I didn't mean to. Then I realized it was all political, and so my call doesn't really fit in.
Speaker 2: With Well, I'm glad you called. Nonetheless, always good to hear your Voicecaren. We will talk later on maybe Okay, I can't.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry. I clearly I am for both. Actually I would like to see Columbus day stay and then another day.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what my guess is talking about.
Speaker 6: I did hear it all, so nice to stand. I'll give you. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me go to Stephen Camp. Steve, hopefully you've called in on topic.
Speaker 3: Run ahead, Steve, I'll try.
Speaker 7: I don't think you. I think you underestimate the animosity aimed at Columbus. I mean people at universities and probably throughout the country. They despise Columbus. They feel he's a criminal, and they feel pretty much that way about much of our Western civilization and our country and our founders and our presidents. I mean, I think the sixteen nineteen project that has been promoted by the New York Times. They hate Columbus, they hate our background, our history, and so I don't think it's simply a matter of having one day for indigenous peoples in another day.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they're going to respond to that, and I want to get Jeff involved here, but as far as I'm concerned, there's always going to be an element in a free country that that hates the genesis of the country and is gonna They're going to deny that that we are a country that that's founded on Western principles and that the Judeo Christian ethic was very much uh uh. Through all of our founding documents, they will find denial there, and they'll find some comment that Thomas Jefferson made in a letter to someone about separation church and state, and they can go off in whatever direction they want. But I think the vast majority of Americans would agree with Jeff and me and probably you. Jeff just get in here and respond to what I think. I do think that uh, that that Steve has identified an element to people who really have an animus towards anything that happened before they were born.
Speaker 4: To be really honesty, they go ahead.
Speaker 3: Jeff No, I think see hit They hit it right on the head. And coming from Cambridge, I'd refer back to MI, I t when they're not when they're not doing everything they can to discriminate against Jewish students, in Jewish people in general, in supporting you know, anti Semitic attacks on those students on campus and doing nothing to protect them. They turn around and they say, well, we don't recognize Columbus Day, we recognize Indigenous People Day. And I say to mit, well, when do you give back to the land to the tribes that owned it, and maybe you can sign a lease and give them money, do something of substance that will improve the quality of life for people, because because they want to go out and start protests like we rarely care about these people, so we want to change the name of a holiday, but we don't want to do anything to improve their lot in life. And and so I think that goes to there really is an underlying anger amongst a lodge group, not everyone, but a lodge group of the people that support this change. Anything that's pro American and pro American history somehow is bad and somehow needs to be brought down and destroyed. And it's really tragic.
Speaker 2: Steve, you mentioned that I think you're referring to me is that I might have under estimated it. My sense is that the fervor to eliminate Columbus Day has somewhat diminished in the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: You don't see it that way.
Speaker 8: Steve Dan, I really don't know.
Speaker 7: I just can't. I hope it has, but I mean when you think that the statue of Columbus was decapitated and the city of Boston didn't do anything about that, did not replace the statue in the North End, and so many of our leaders and so many of the persons who are responsible for the greatness of our nation have been demeaned. I hope it's changing, but I don't think it will.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll see, by the way I think the statute, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Speaker 2: That was the statue that was in Christopher Columbus Park down on the waterfront on Atlantic Avenue and the statue was after it was decapitated, it was put for safe keeping by then Mayor Walsh, and I believe the statue is now in a church courtyard in the North End. Am i am I If anyone knows this for sure, I'd love to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can tell you, yes, you're you're exactly was in Christopher Columbus Park in the North End off of Hanover and the criminal element went damage and broke the decapitated the statue. Rather than a statue, rather than prosecuting people, they just said, well, we'll hide the statue. But a brave Catholic priest at Saint Leonard's Church they have a peace garden there and they put it. In fact, I posted a picture of that statue in the peace garden on Facebook today when I posted my pro Columbus message talking about the history of why we celebrate Columbus Day. So there are good people that have said, you know, we're going to recognize the attributions of Columbus and Italian Americans. And he stands proudly in the peace gotten right on handle the Street in the North End where he belongs.
Speaker 7: And Jeff, there's a there's a biography I believe of Columbus by an historian, a Harvard historian named Samuel Elliott Morrison. And you know, of all the navigators in the history in history, Columbus's ability to navigate and his bravery were almost unequaled.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: By the way, there is also a statue of Samuel Elliott Morrison.
Speaker 4: In Boston.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 7: It's right on that right outside of the public garden, you know, in the middle of Commonwealth Avenue there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on that stretch between Arlington Street all the way out to Massachusetts Avenue.
Speaker 7: But there are so many things to admire about Columbus, and that for these people to detegrate him is when when they have it so easy, Uh, is really I find despicable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well, we we've got some support here.
Speaker 4: Jeff.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, uh as always the very thoughtful call to night Side. You are one of my very best callers, and you've been so for many years and I always appreciate your contributions.
Speaker 7: You're too kind, Dan, Thank you, gentlemen, good taking call.
Speaker 2: Are going to take a quick break here. My guest is Jeff Turco. Jeff Representative, Jeff Turco Representative. Can you stay with us into the next half hour.
Speaker 3: Of course, good you.
Speaker 4: Get some more calls.
Speaker 2: We have a couple of open lines six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three ten thirty. We're talking about Christopher Columbus, uh celebration today and and uh we're talking with Representative Turco, who is a leading representative and an advocate for maintaining Columbus Day in the Massachusetts legislature. And by the way, it is a state holiday in Boston. I guess it was a stripped as a state holiday. I read in the paper today that Acting Mayor Kim Janey actually signed sort of an executive order. Doesn't sound very democratic to me, but signed some sort of an executive order ending the celebration of Columbus Day in Boston and substituting it with Indigenous People's Day. And again, I had no problem celebrating every group that contributed to America, including Christopher Columbus. And Jeff Turko, the representative here who's with us, is going to file legislation in January designating August ninth as Indigenous People's Day. And the reason of that, Jeff, Just for clarification for the audience that has just joined us. There is actually justification for what you're going to do there. And what is that The August.
Speaker 3: Ninth day, August ninth is Indigenous People Day according to the United Nations worldwide in August ninth, the month of August is also the only month of the year that Massachusetts does not have a recognized holiday. So you could you could have recognize the contributions of Native Americans and Indigenous people consistent with the UN calendar, but also to balance all holidays across across each month.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Okay, we'll take a quick break. It's nine thirty the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: Were going to get right to the newscast on time and we'll be back with State Representative Jeff Turkle of Revere and Wthrop. And if you live in either of those communities and you'd like to talk with forty percent of Revere, talk to your state representative. The only line that's open right now, there's one line at six, one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. This is a Monday night, it is a holiday. What did you celebrate today? If you celebrated Indigenous People's Day, you're more than welcome to call and tell us what you did.
Speaker 4: Today we are we are.
Speaker 2: A program that welcomes all points of view, just to express them and be respective of my guests and other callers.
Speaker 4: That's all we ask. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with Massachusetts State Representative Jeff Turco, a Democrat member of the state legislature. He celebrated Columbus Day today and I'm sure there are a lot of other people around New England who did as well, and there were others who would prefer to have an Indigenous People's Day, and Jeff Turkle will file legislation next January to have an Indigenous People's Stay here in Massachusetts on August ninth, so that both groups can have their day to celebrate their heritage. I think that's a pretty smart solution to a problem which has really been a problem and a concern for several years now. But my way of thinking is that the level of intensity has minished. Let's go to Angelo, and Angelo welcome back to Night's Side. Say I had a state representative, Jeff Turco. Go right ahead, Angela.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Jeff Turco, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Dain.
Speaker 9: You know, I was at the parade day and they were very to a lot of people that were very unhappy. The indiscate people put up a big sign saying that we were terrorists, and they were calling us all kinds of names. And there was a person that was in the parade and wanted to get out of their car and they wanted to destroy that sign. And it was very bad what they put down against us there. And it was all so there.
Speaker 2: Was a motorcade that was supporting Columbus Day, if I'm not mistaken, that rode through a part of Newton today and they and if I'm not mistaken, is that true?
Speaker 9: Right by the album playgrounds and all around through West Newton and then Donandam area.
Speaker 3: And what it was?
Speaker 2: Why were people objecting to you and in your friends celebrating Columbus on Umbus Day?
Speaker 4: It is a state holiday, it's a national holiday.
Speaker 2: What did they do know that you were going to be having a parade that you have to have a permit or something like that.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they had to have a permit, but they had to shareff in front of us, and I don't know if they had a permanent or not.
Speaker 2: So who are you confusing me. You're confusing me. Who were the people who were protesting your.
Speaker 9: Parade, the the the indigenous people.
Speaker 4: So so they just we were, we were there, We.
Speaker 9: Were in the parade going by where the Indigenous people were, and then they held up a big sign saying that we were terror us.
Speaker 4: Right right. Question, My question is was your parade in Newton?
Speaker 2: Is that an annual event? Was it announced publicly? Was there everybody knew where the parade was taking place?
Speaker 9: Is that it was Anne on the radio to where it was going to be held, and there was everybody that was very upset when they saw this.
Speaker 2: People in the comment Jeff, I don't I don't think Jeff was with you today. But Jeff, this seems to be I guess, some animosity in the city of Newton, which is always supposed to be a welcoming community.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, there's there's You're always going to find radicals that they don't want to just promote their viewpoint of saying we want to we want indigenous people there. They want to insult people and attack people that disagree that Dane to disagree with them, And it sounds to me like that's what that sign was all about today. I mean, I am a free speech absolutist. I think people have the right to say objectionable things, and I think we kill them with kindness and we kill them with education. When I talk, I mean I spoke in Revere on Thursday at a ceremony at one hundred people there in public, was on TV, and I mentioned all eleven Sicilian Americans who were killed and talked about why we celebrate Columbus Day, and the number of people that came up and said thank you for for letting me know. I didn't know the history and the origins behind the holiday, and I think that that's critically important that we educate people as to why we celebrate Columbus Day. It's not about the man. It's about the contributions of Italian Americans, and it's to symbolize the contributions of all Italian Americans, not just that one man. And people don't know that today because they're either wilfully blind or the public education system has failed them by teaching propaganda instead of teaching facts.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it, Angelo, Thank you very much for your call, and always good to be always good to hear your voice, and Dan you.
Speaker 9: Were talking about the statue. The statue is I heard today they put it behind that that church.
Speaker 2: But I mentioned that Saint Leonard's on Hanover Street.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 9: Yeah, somebody told me that they put it back there and somebody fixed the head to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well it's beautiful. It's in a beautiful spot. All it up and it's quite nice.
Speaker 9: Yeah, somebody told me today.
Speaker 4: Thanks, I'm in the North End. Make sure you go buy and give give a look. Angelo. Thank you very much for your call. Touch you soon.
Speaker 9: Thank you, guys. Have a good day, great day.
Speaker 4: Good night.
Speaker 2: Let me go next to Regina is in Boston. Regina, you are next on nice side with State Representative Jeff Turko.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Regina, Hi, I'll make it real brief.
Speaker 11: I just hope you all all everyone have a good night. I have nieces, four of them that are half Native American and also half Italian. I love all of them. They're buy two family members, and I just want to say that people need to stop fighting no matter what, because all they're doing is making more issues for everybody. We never had an issue like that. We see each other because we're human, human beings that love each other, and you know there's good and bad in every background. So I think what he's going to do, they really need to move it back to the month of August and leave well enough alone and forward everything and try to get along with everybody. But have a good night.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, thank you, Regina. Yeah, Clement on that. If you like Jeff, I think that she's pretty much where you are in terms of accommodating both camps here, okay, and hopefully everyone can walk away happy with a day dedicated to the celebration of their ancestry.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think Regina hit it dead on. That's what I'm That's the needle that I'm trying to tread. I think we can accomplish recognizing and supporting everyone without attacking anyone by doing it the way I've suggested. I look forward to trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and I hope it gets out of committee. I should have asked you earlier. I'd be curious if you can't answer this question because of your status and the legislature. How to speak of Mariano feel about this, I would assume that he would probably have some concerns about protecting Columbus Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't thing to speak for you for the speaker, But I mean I think here he is Italian American, and the bill hasn't passed even though it's com out of committee the last couple of years, it hasn't passed, and so hopefully that's a sign that of the speaker's view. But you know, like I said, I wouldn't I believe that him to speak.
Speaker 2: On No, absolutely understand that, but I just want to give you that job. We'll take a quick break here. It's a nine to forty four in Boston on a Monday night. It was a holiday today officially and celebrated as Columbus Day in both Massachusetts and across the country.
Speaker 4: It's a federal holiday as well.
Speaker 2: And there are those who want to turn Columbus Day into Indigenous People's Day. I think the suggestion of Representative Turco is very reasonable, and he's going to file legislation next January when the legislature reconvenes, to make it a different holiday for Indigenous people. And he's recommending, I believe, August ninth, because that is the Indigenous People Day that is recognized worldwide by the United Nations. So I kind of imagine people being opposed to that. Okay, we got room for a couple of more calls six one, seven, two, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty Coming right back on night side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the window World Light six Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're gonna get everyone in here, Eric and Methu and Eric.
Speaker 2: You're Oma State Representative Jeff Turco, who represents forty percent of Revere on all of Winthrop.
Speaker 4: We're talking about Columbus Day and Indigenous People Day.
Speaker 10: Go right ahead, Eric, I having been someone that has navigated the world in a Navy aircraft for the propellers. When I'm out over the Pacific of the Atlantic, I am always in awe and I always think of Christopher Columbus and what he days. One of my heroes, I mean Tiler, I'm Strong, and the Mercury seven, the astronauts are my heroes. But this guy did beyond what they did. He he borrowed three wooden ships that did five knots, filled them with enough food he thought to go across, notion that he didn't know how far it was, fought scurvy, malaria, and everything else, and still kept leadership over all three crews and and did it.
Speaker 3: He pulled it off.
Speaker 10: And I'm always in ode of his accomplishment of saying, hey, can I borrow three ships and go across an ocean that I don't know how long it is? And on top of that, we place twenty first century values on someone from the fifteenth century, which is so we don't want values five hundred years from now placed on us. You know, we don't want to be judged five hundred years now from what we do. We drop We drive fossil fuel cars right now. They're gonna hate us for it five hundred years from now maybe.
Speaker 2: But he's we're gonna five hundred years from now which will go and just air, but they'll be fueled by just air.
Speaker 10: That's what the said anyway. But what what Christopher Columbus did is amazing. He borrowed three wooden ships and did those ships did three to five dots a day. It took at least a month to get across the ocean, and he didn't know how far he was going. He said, hey, I've got this and I'll make it back. And and it's amazing that he was able to without GPS, without the Weather Channel. Without weather reports and hurricane reports, he managed to get to the tropics and come back home safely. Which he traveled the world he didn't have like.
Speaker 4: The Weather Channel back then.
Speaker 10: I mean, imagine the imagine the guts that that fuck is.
Speaker 2: Let me get Jeff in here. That's an excellent presentation by Eric. Jeff excellent.
Speaker 3: I think Eric, and I want to take you with me when I speak about Columbus, because it really it's like that's it's just it's celebrating the great accomplishment, the great daring, the great risks that he took in how we've all benefited from it.
Speaker 10: I love Neil Armstrong, you know, navy man like me, and I did twenty four years flying around the world on a sea one thirty at p three before that stuff on tur And when I'm out there twelve hours out over the Pacific Ocean or you know, the Atlantic Ocean, I've spent eight hours over that ocean and a sea one thirty hercules heading for a rack. And I'm like, how does someone take a ship that the five knots? I'm doing three hundred knots. This guy took a ship to the five knots and managed to get across the ocean and find where he was going without GPS. And I'm sitting there struggling with the electronics on a daily basis, going come on, update, update, update, and this guy just said, yeah, I got some stars. I'll be all right, Eric.
Speaker 2: Without without Christopher Columbus finding, we wouldn't have the World Series, we wouldn't have the Super Bowl. There's a lot of things that the cave came on this. Hey, Eric, I love the call. Thank you so much.
Speaker 10: All right, thanks man, that a great night.
Speaker 4: All right, great, I have great college. Yeah, I'm very proud of.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was awesome. That was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, here we go.
Speaker 2: Let me see you're gonna drop Yeah, Eric, and we're going to go to Paul and Shrewsbury. Hey, Paul, you're next on nice, I get you, and one more in here, Paul right in.
Speaker 12: Hey, how you doing to? I totally totally agree with the last caller and the woman who called before, you know about rescheduling the Indigenous People's Day to August ninth. I'm I'm a retired teacher and educator. You know, my birthday actually is October twelfth, all right, exactly I've always, you know, I've always from the time I was a little kid, I always enjoyed you know, my birthday and Clumbus Day, but also as a teacher, having you know, obviously having the day off, having the weekend, you know, respect everything he did, you know, as a seafaring navigator and you know, and you know all that stuff. So you know, totally totally think that, you know, and I kind of look at it the way of having it posted as an Indigenous day almost as a punishment type of sentiment, you know, to to either Columbus or or the way you know some people feel about you know, the sort of you know, whatever negative things that may have come up with him in history. But that the thing, the reason why I wanted to call, And this is kind of like totally flipping the table over is I was just kind of surfing the web, I think it was this morning, and this article came up about the possibility that you know, even though Columbus was a practicing Catholic and you know, you know, you know, revered by Italians and stuff, that he they I'm.
Speaker 6: Nancy Lyons Bloomberg Business on wb Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 12: I guess they did some DNA testing from his remains and his sons, and they supposedly claim it. Again, this isn't one hundred percent you know, sure yet, but they said that he may have like Sephardic Jewish heritage, which you know, kind of like flips the whole you know, Italian thing over in a little while. They like they said, I think they that he might have been born in Valencia, Spain, and it was at a time when Jewish people were being persecuted. I don't know if it had either of you guys seen that or read about that at all.
Speaker 2: I think I haven't seen it, and I think it's a huge stretch at this point, I know, I mean, it's all revision is history in my opinion, In my opinion, what do you think, Jeff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I've heard something about that today. I haven't read the story.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: All I thought was with the rise of anti Semitism in this country, then they'll hate Commas even more because now not only is he a Guyan, but he's Jewish, and let to make it even more and more.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out and says that some that maybe they feel that he was part Japanese and that his his great great great great grandchildren bombed Pearl Harbors.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Amazing the lengths people will go, Hey, Paul, appreciate you, Carl, thank you much.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to get ii Leen in here, Eileen.
Speaker 2: We are giving away Knights Eide T shirts pink Nightside T shirts to certain callers this month in awareness.
Speaker 4: I would love one awareness.
Speaker 2: Well, you stay right then we'll get you one. Let me get you've called on on Columbus feel free. Let's say, hey, did Jeff Turco? Your comments? Go ahead, Eileen.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, when I was a child gazillion years ago, we uh celebrated Columbus because he dared to possibly fall off the edge of the world. At that time, they didn't think the world was round. They thought was flat, and all the ships were disappearing.
Speaker 2: They thought that could those days these ships go out to see they wouldn't come back, And that's what they said, we must have gone off the edge.
Speaker 4: And he was a sea, he was a seafarer, he was not a sea. Fear great courage that this is.
Speaker 8: Right, yes, exactly, and I definitely celebrate Columbus Day, and we'll always celebrate Columbus Day and celebrate Christopher Columbus. He was a great man.
Speaker 4: A great point, a great point to end on. Eileen. You got in a little late, but we got you in.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, there's a couple of callers now who have called too Lake as we are changing topics at ten, Eileen, make sure Rob has all the information will get you at you that that Knightside t shirt from our great friends at College Hype dot com in Dorchester. Jack Darty and the gang are so generous making these t shirts and people can go to Knights Out Gear. You have to like to buy one, that's true, that's possible as well. Just go to nightsidegear dot com. Jeff Turco, thank you very much. Great presentation. We have callers who are now calling in. Unfortunately they apparently should have got reached for the phone a little earlier.
Speaker 4: Jeff.
Speaker 2: We'll do it again next year, Okay, and do me favor keep me posted on your piece of legislation because I'd like to cover that for you when it happens.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will definitely do that. Dan, always good to talk to you. Thank you very much for all you do. To have to inform the public.
Speaker 4: Your one Democrat. That gives me a little faith in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: Right now, thank you very much, Take you if you well, have a great night, and have you Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: All right, we are going to change topics. On the other side. We're going to talk about the strike of the hotel workers. For those of you on the line, I apologize, but you got to call it a little before the end of the hour. Back on Night's side, right after this