Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode twenty seven.
Speaker 2: A lot of things to do before we even begin. As always, I listened, as I always do. I listened to the tape and I wasn't clear on something. So let me clarify this, this business that a coin is not supposed to do. And if people hate him, what the Mission of Burgh says it goes with the zoar is it could be a sakhal. What does that mean sakanal? I don't know, but it could be dangerous. So it says that if a coin the seaboard hates him, or he hates the seaboard, it's a sakana. The coing to du Berkus cohen Eve. And that's when I raised the question. I mentioned that the post can speak about Well, let's say it's they hate him for a good reason. Is that still a danger for him? Now, this issue, if anyone's interested, is discussed in this book by Professor Tushma Create. Most of his stuff was a Hebrew. But this is in English studied Creativity and Tradition Studies in Medieval Orbinic scholarship, on page one ninety three because the interesting thing is there's no rabbinic source for this idea, that it's just in the Zoar, the idea that the coing if the people don't like him, if he doesn't like them, it's it's a danger involved. What Tushma wants to argue is this whole chapter tries to show Germanic Ashkenazic influence on the Zoar, and he wants to say that this he tries to bring a proof from an Arzarua that this passage in the Zoa really is it's Ashkenazic residue. A whole book that deals with byzantines and other stuff, but this in the Zoor, this chapter deals with Ushkin what he calls the large residue of ashkin Nazi customs and lore in the Zobar. So obviously presis the Zoar is a medieval worker. That's what That's what he wrote about. Okay, a couple other things. Oh, we spoke last class about women's titles. I want to show you something and I just saw this week. Okay, So there's this newspaper everyone in the New York area knows and it's called the Jewish Like it's not much of a newspaper. It's mostly one big advertisement. Even the articles, most of them are just you submit them. So the schools submit their articles, and they had while you had two big pages this week to try it. Here you see it. You have right in the front official chacter you have. I also know Abari Liebowitz. If you don't know about a Liebowitz and you're in Hahaka, I highly recommend it. He has thousands of online stuff about ten minutes fifteen minute hahah. He's really spectacular. Also, notice that in the Haredi yeshiva you never would have this. They all wearing hats. We already spoke about them. In the Haredi world, you have to wear a hat anytime you take a picture. So this is but this is the ever shatter. And then you have the younger Roasti Yeshiva. He's the most important in the Roasti Shiva. And then you have some of the younger ones. Okay, very nice, so trying to uh it's you know, bringing its advertising. But then they have a problem because so what do you call the women? So they have the same pad two pages later, Hold on, nope, we gotta get the gotta share again here, So look what they do with the women. Uh, only one of these women, by the way, is an academic scholar. The rest of just tower teachers. They can't give them a title. Rather, they can't give them any things. They call them all professor. Professor doesn't mean you have a doctor or anything, just means that you are a teacher at the university. But so this is maybe being more conservative Paulus, because you don't give the women a title. But on the other hand, it's almost blasphemous because you're using a goyaship term professor and you're referring to as a for a tourer teacher. So if you ever needed a reason that there should be a title, whatever it is for women tower teachers, I think this is it. That we're calling women towers scholars. The best we could do is give them the gualish title professor, and not to mention the fact that it's false advertising because most people think professor, they think of like an academic type. These are totra teachers. But why you cannot come up with a title. They can't do any of the titles we spoke about, so they have to call them all professor, which I guess you don't want to call them missus because so that's you know, you want to give them some title. But I have to correct myself. So I was through the Jewish link, and remember I say last week, we can't use rob on Neat. That's used in the Israeli schools, but we can't use it. Saar can use it, but not the other schools. Even Kushner won't use rob on Neat. Uh. But then I noticed interestingly in the Jewish link as well. Well, and behold, let me show you something here. Uh me put up here there was an ad another ad old On. I gotta it's complicated here here it is uh for the Synagogue Renot in t Neck. And look what they have here. So take back what I said. They're having an advertising there. Torah is by zoom and loll and behold rob on Neat. Leastarna she's actually a Maha rat graduate. But so Reno. So I guess I take back what I said that Robert Meat is not used, because occasionally you will have the title here. Of course that's one of them. It's more liberal show the team neck. But there you go. Okay, let's move on. I read this book over Shampas I told you about it. Boyarn's book Yeshiva Days Learning on the Lower East Side. It's a great shopist read. I have to say that I really have an appreciation for the Yeshiva now MTJ because your sense when you read the book, and it's a very interesting book as an anthropologist. I mean he makes some errors. In fact, one of them, I don't know how he makes it. He doesn't really come from an Orthodox background, but he's been learning for a number of years. He doesn't know what halivey seerlds. He can't really explain it properly. But what you sent, what you get from this book is the uniqueness of MTJ in that it really is a place just to learn tower. It's there's no when you think of already yeshiva's today, you think of the big Yeshiva's often Hushguffer and Dost tell you does tyra all the things, And in mt J, this is the sense you get. It's just Torah. No sheet of of of a doctrine of politics, of this and that, just Torah. And there's the there's a sense of tolerance for different views. You could be a Zionist there, you could be a Husted you could be all that, and Uh, I find it. It's a sort of place that I would be very happy if I was living in New York. Uh to go there. You know, in the Yeshiva world, I use the term sheetshuffers scuffer. That's what they call it in in the literature Yeshivas, the dos tira and all that. But Uh, in one of the criticisms of of of that, someone writes the expression a huff there's no hush guffa except for bad. It's a criticism of the Lithuani Yeshiva world. What does that mean? It actually is uh. If you look in up she's just a few weeks ago. In parss Vyeira, the Pussic says the ashkifu upi sdome And what does Rashi say there from a micro Laura huts that every time the word hashkif shaffa is used, except for that one case, it's always negative. So uh, that's what some smart person said about the Lithuanian Tora word their hush skuffa. By the way, one other sid thing you get from this book is that they're smart alecs at emptj and that's the old tradition. I know the younger people have a hard time with this. Uh, but you're always gonna have smart alecs whenever you're training, uh trying to train people be independent minded, which is the old lifish away, You're always gonna have people with their own ideas. We saw on the remember of the Curasses on the Shanghai the students revolted and said, we're not going to listen to the Dostar. We want to go to Shanghai. You're always gonna have that. You can't have prosidium and you can't have uh just yes, people. If you want to create the Doolia ser you want to create great tors scholars, you need to have independent minded people. And therefore, whenever you have independent minded people, you're always going to have people with their own ideas independent and he describes a couple of smart he looks in the book. But that's that's part for the course for the Licashire world. In terms of so one of you asked me about Redove, it is it true? He really didn't right, we don't have Maybe they'll publish, but if you want to get a sense of his zuckem, the best thing is this book two volumes it's called the Debarta bomb. It's look how thick it is. This is volume two. It's written by a student. His name is A Muskowitz. That's bomb Barth Muskwitz. He's the son of the late Irving Moskowitz who gave all that money to uh, you know, expand Jerusalem into the Arab side settlements, et cetera. Every after every in every tuva. Here he records things they heard from his Rebbie Redubic. Okay things. Howard Handler writes to me that first of all, I we get the screen up a minute. Again on the screen, this is the page just we dealt with Rabbi I told you he went up to he goes at Harrabaiit we saw the picture. So someone asked me, well, doesn't doesn't don't Mara coas people not go to Harribite. No, it's not true. This is split among miracas. And he has an article. You can read the article here in which he explains why he goes up. And he says, there see who'd have changed his mind? He said, if I Goren tells you where you can go, then you can go. I also I forgot to mention that his name, say A lot is from Shivis. Tell me, but uh, I made a mispronunciation. Thank you to Howard. I pronounced this. I said, I don't know Italian, but I said that it's Hebrew. I said it's written Ricci. I said, I thought it was maybe it's Ricy. It turns out it's not. Uh. I should have known. That's because ponte Vecchio to go to the ponte Vecchio in Venice, that's also Hi. On the other hand, I was confused because this guy in Italian that's pronounced Ricci, who is Mattalio Ricci. Mattalo Ricci is the Jesuit who first Jesuit in China. He's the one that really had the first contact with the Kaifang Jews. When I was in China, I tracked down his grave and I took a picture of it because it's on the communist school grounds, and I sent it to my colleagues because I work at a Jesuit university. The other thing, two other things that Howard told me. I mentioned that Thou Shalt not kill is a mistranslation, and I said it's in the King James version. Howard, thank you for pointing out that the Rush bomb already mentions this the fact that dal shalt not kill, and Latin goes back to the vulgate and thank you for that. And the last thing is he says that I should give credits, which I will right now, and this will then end what we're going to do here to the late jose funt War, we lost so many important people this year twenty twenty, it's really unbelievable. And one of them was jose Funtwar. And he in his book on the Mission of Torah. You remember Mission of Tora, he already points out page one six, that's the page yes one six he speaks about this it's a cod and what it means that it's not it's not really proof, but it's something you're convinced with things we spoke about. Okay, So that's that's all I want to say. Oh, oh, we have one more thing before you go. Someone asked me about what the Time of Risk said. Remember we spoke about I told you that on the simple understanding what the RA means belief in God. There's a problem that Costa Crescas already points out what I mean, how could command belief in God? Who's the commander? And once you already assume that there's a commander, there's a God commanding you to believe. You already believe, so there's there's no command and and we so we spoke about what the Rahmbam means when he uses that term it to God. Reprai Am held miss mentioned by his son by you, I was recorded by shach in the Aviezri that rebra Am held that the word m muna, You don't use the word in muna for something that you know or somebody is obvious to use it for something that the sail doesn't lead to, like something which you can't understand when you say, hell, just on faith. And that's actually a very nice interpretation and can be used to explain maybe the same and others who really count belief. But for the Rhmbam, No, for the rohm Bum, there's no such conception of just belief. Everything either has an absolute proof or proofs that lead you to strong reason to suggest otherwise. It's not a commandment. There's no such existential existentialism type commandment for the real bum. Okay, so thank you havu. Okay, everyone, we are now picking up. You put this down. I'm told when I put my head down, it's hard to hear. So okay, we're continuing in the Igros mase Uh page two twenty six, Simon Kouf Gimmel, And before we go further, I have to make a few introductions. We take out my papers that we'll need. Here we're gonna be looking at the center. Because I asked Rev Mazous. We spoke about Rev Mazus. I forgot to mention that he's the ram which is with its different branches, it is really the largest now of the Spardak yeshivas you have. I mean you have a coon for radio safe and then you have but if you include Kisse Rachami min its branches. I believe that because the only issue was don't have branches, it's the largest UH with teaching still teaching the old traditional Spartak curriculum. I spoke a little bit about him last week. We'll speak more. Let me show you another picture of him with yours truly here he is. That's the image of his father, the Rezus, who was assessed killed by Palestinian terrorists in Tunis in nineteen seventy one in in his in his last in last week's UH power newsletter or whatever you call it. Uh. First of all, when you read it, it's amazing. He knows Kanach by heart. There's no one else like this. Where every other paragraph he's just quoting verses as part of his speaking, but just giving you a sense of why he's sort of not in the Haredi world. He's like in the middle is. He says on page one, note two, he's talking about what happened in beIN a Brak, and he says that this person was Irisha Maayan, but he was part of muffdal Osma. So what ishmvda mak Muftan Maffdala Nikim. They are members of the National religious Party sham Haridim, that they're just as religious as the Haredim. A couple of weeks ago, with number two thirty one, he says his follows because he's a big believer in not for kola, for everyone, just for release and against the Yeshiva world that everyone has to be in kolo. He says as follows. He says, there are those who say that I speak, he speaks. He mentions the iri and then he says the Iri Rigusa Gloria made a living from his own hands. He worked and then he says, they say about me that I'm against colo students. He says, I never said that. He says, we have one hundred students Colo students and we pay give them money, but we also make them take tests. And then he says, would that every colo pay them like we did? He said, but I debarting naked Agloo Shambokolo, He says, I spoke against those who sit in colo and they don't do tests and they get money. Basically they just spend their time there, uh to waste their time or as a draft dodge, just because it's a cultural decision in that community have to go to kolo. And then he says, uh, these people just sit in the colo and are not really focused serious, They're just doing it as part of their lifestyle. What about the fact that they signed to Katuba to say anna a fach that he's don't evoke your far nay that I have to support my wife. And he says, what kind of support is that you're singing in a colo and you're relying on your wife and you're getting a few He calls them brushen you know a little bit of money and then he goes on to say that how hard the wife works and you're just sitting around. He says, you have to go out and get a work and get a job. What did the rombum say? The rumbum says, you should work three hours a day and then learn nine hours a day. And he quotes his father that would that were the opposite today, that we actually learned three hours a day and work nine hours a day. And he goes on how the Amari to nim they all worked. And the Rabbi of Gerber bugs Don who he refused to take money. He used to sell at ro game and other things to make money. And then he goes on and on of Kaduri, he used to work, He bound books, et cetera, et cetera, And he says that all you people in co well, unless you're like going to be the superstars, if you have a good voice, become a hazan, give sheheri. Do what you can to to support yourself. So this is obvious not a position that really works so well in the Hredi world. So I wrote to him to the question. But before we get to the question, let me introduce you something here. I'm gonna pull up on this. Let's get the screen up again. Okay, we have a blessing when you I'm there, Cashana, but also when you see uh lightning here you see it? Okay, what is what does this mean? Osama with the word oh sin? First of all, we have to find out if there's under the sin, is there a secle or a say. I looked at all the signurim in my house, I have sacks burned down. Seems Shaham Seem Shalom is the conservative center. So you don't see it on my bookcase. I have to hide it behind. But it's important for me to have it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's actually different than the old If you looked at the citter, the the the conservative sitter that was in use for decades, the little black one. I forget who edited it. It's basically the same as the Orthodox, except for they take out references to sacrifices like even a Schwannasari. But the Seamsham is a completely new sitter. I have the new RCA sitter. Incidentally, you're gonna see. I don't think you're gonna see today, You'll see next class. How not only are of Mazous but also yours truly are in the new r c A Citter. Try to find it for next week if you want, because it's the letter that we're going to see either this class or next class that is responsible for something in the new RCA Sitter. So that's that's my claim to fame. I guess all these see Duram I just mentioned in this Brokhla have a say or have a segment like we see right now, Oh Sam Sebrici. However, the Matsuda sitter can ma Suda center. You can take it out. Matsuda citter. I like it very much. It's a interlinear sitter that has a say ing on it. Black men missionaios that I have on my shelf over there has a sayory. The art scroll Talmud has a segal, but the art scrow missionarios have a saying what's the difference, what's the difference to vocalization as well? If there's a segal, then the word should be translated in the present tense. Oh Sama cebri sheet and we'll get the translation in a minute when I say present, and we're going to speak about uh Tanach as well in a few minutes. Really, Biblical Hebrew does not know tenses like past, present, in future be though we use it Biblical Hebrew has the part of simple. This is the part of simple, and then you have what's the perfect and the imperfect. But it basically generally equals what we call the present tense. Okay, so you look at this brocola here o sam Ma sebre sheet. That should be translated as the who creates creation? Right. Well, we'll get to how that's translated. The work of creation? Who creates or is creating? Uh, the work of creation? However, if there's a saint ray there, then it should be it's a it's a now in the construct form and would be maker of heaven and earth. I found a mistake in the JPS translation JPS, the old JPS, I don't know new JPS. If you look in verse fifteen year uma and I residy of the Lord oh Ssha mayav arens who made heaven and earth. That's incorrect, though it's not pastens who made heaven and earth. Well we'll see in a minute why they translate it. Okay, So let's go back now to this braha and see if the translations follow. So see if the translations what is that we'll get to that translations follow the rule. Art Stroll we're gonna see, by the way. Today as well, art scrow has does an amazing thing. It gets something right that no one else gets right. I try to be honest. I criticize artcroll today, but art scroll does something which is brilliant and no one else gets it right. Art scroll has a secle translate so Sea miche who makes the work of creation? Okay, maybe that not the most felicitous translation, but it's correct. Uh. The new RCA translates who makes the phenomena of creation? Okay, I don't like that either, but it's we Uh. I think I like artscroll better. Sacks Rabbi Sacks Christ. I have this sitter here. I look, I mean what I'm telling you now, I wrote when he was alive, so I'm not doing anything improper within a period shortly after his passing. But I have to say that there's a lot of mistakes in his sitter in terms of the translation, and he makes a mistake here as well. He translates this for says author of creation. In other words, he makes O se the now when it's in the construct, it's not it's a verb there. So there's no way it can be. Oh sem o see sheet can be author of creation. Sim shall oh. By the way, conservative one also makes its source of creation. That's a mistake. So art throw gets it right. However, what do you do about in the arts Crow Sitter and pasukaz Inra we have this verse. Let me see, by the way, Joe Biden the other day he pulled a trump because he said the palm and the promised. I don't know where he got that from. This S is not silent. Sometimes S is silent. You can go on YouTube and you can see Obama when he referred to the marine corpse. No one told him that that the S and that is silent. So we can all make mistakes. But here's this verse in six. Look in verse six. Here we all know this. Uh say this all the time. Oh Sasha Maya Viris who made heaven and earth? That's how they translated. But again this is jps It's the problem. It's not h art scroll. If you look in art Scroll with Psika and Zimmer, they translate this Pussic mistakenly maker of heaven and Earth. Again, it can't be that because it's a verb. Sachs gets it right here. Who made Uh No, no, sorry, Sachs gets it wrong. It follows jps, who made heaven and Earth? Now, why am I say this isn't this is not correct? Well, first of all, it's a part of simple. But look in this, look in this peric of Taylor. The very next verb is that same verse a Schomer Metola keep the truth forever? Next verse, oh Sam mische but Lasha Kim executes justice for the oppressed. Oh hey, Sunny King show Maretha gay Ring. Everything is participle, so of course this would also be part of simple. But why do they translate it made, not made? Because what does it mean to make heaven and earth? It's this is something happened in the past, right, So why would it be? Why would you has to be passed? It's not present. No, this implies, this pussle implies the continuing worker creation. Just like you see in the center, me my cebrations, God is he recreates as it were every day, my separation. That's what this pussica is saying. And art give credits to the RCA new RCA center alone among all the sduriam. It translates it who makes heaven and Earth? That's not it has to be translated. Let me give you another example. This is all working our way up to what I asked her of Mazous. This is a broa we say with et cetera, et cetera. Bonnet Usha. There's a say ray under the nun didn't say bonnette, it says so what does that mean? Uh? Since there's a say under it, it means it's not a herb, it's a now an arts Grow correctly translates it as builder of Jerusalem and also the new RCAA burned DOWNE gets it right. However, Sachs and also the solo pool and seem shalelm are mistaken. Sacks renders boney or Shillelium as if there's a cycle. He translates it as who builds Jerusalem? Well, actually, no, that's yeah, who builds Jerusalem? No, that's uh. I guess that Maybe that is correct, the builder of Jerusalem? Who builds erusalm?
Speaker 1: Is? I think?
Speaker 2: Get back? That would work, I guess, But uh, stam, what does goel? You show me the very next Brahra? Does it mean redeemer of Israel? Do all the blessing follow this model? What Aboutnea? God arts Girl translates giver of wisdom, seeing it as a noun, sachs as a verb. Conana dodge, who graciously grants wisdom. So you have to the question is what do all these things mean? Are they nouns? Are the verbs? Is their consistency? What about? Let me show you another one here, may may team Let me show you here the okay, how do you translate? Uh? Well, I forgot to share it here, I will share how do you translate this? Brook at the end and the last one, venamma talam marye may sing is that a verb? Arch Girl translates to who resist recal states today arts Girl thinks it's a verb. Secks agrees, But the Matsuda sitter has it as a resurrector of the dead. And really that's how what I believe it should be, because Mehayeh would be with, for example in the previous paragraph that that's the verbal form. So we I don't want to spend too much time on it. We can go through it. Matsuda is consistent in everything. They they make it as if it's a noun form. Others are not so clear. Whether it goes back and forth. You could take a look and you can be whatever on line. I don't want to spend the time. It's as simple to understand it while I'm speaking here. The question, though I asked, I asked Rabbi Mazus is the problem is there's a few places in Tanah where the word said as as Ashkenas say, say Svardin and Sardin by the way pronounced and sego the exis same way. That's how modern Israelis do it. If you ask in Israeli how to say book in Hebrew, he'll say, Sehner. This isn't just an Israeli thing. This is actually the old Spardak way. So there's no difference for Saradim. If you tell them a have to repeat parsha zaher twice because you have zechr, they wouldn't know what you're talking about because they pronounce Seyra and segel the exact same way. So when you hear in Israeli sayefer, it's not an Israeli modern thing. It goes. It's the old Stardak way of doing it. But you have examples where it seems clear that it's a that it's a verb, even though it has a say ray, So what uh, what Ramazou's I don't need to give the details because we don't want to get two technical But Rebbie Mamazou says to me just that he explains one that it could be the not really a verb but a noun, and the others. He says, you have to say that the sai ray sometimes is in place of a segal. There's always going to be exceptions in the Hebrew language. That's uh So if you go through schwanstri and you go through all them and you conclude, for example, machea ma team, what does it mean, it means the resuscitator of the dead. Then you you try to put them all together and all the other brothers, you're gonna come that some there's gonna be some inconsistency. That's just the way it is with Hebrew grammar. But I do think that when you get to the word nekaya where you where you think that it should be a verb, it should be with the sai ray, it should be a segal. If you want see us a ship, for instance, use this segal, this sitter. This is a sitter from Rome, the old italianissa that has it with a segal. So let's leave with this I don't want to get too into much into grammar, but next time when you're in show on chops, take a look and take a look at how these are translated. There's no question that sex is wrong on these translations. They translate an Artscor's correct and RCA is correct. He's translating things as verbs that are really Now we're going to see another example where sex makes a mistake in a little bit. The next question is number one oh four, and that asked the simple question to revy Masus. We have a braha in schwan Estray. It's called meaning well, we say it three times a day. If you're an Ashkenazi, you can look at it. You have hove, etcetera, et cetera. The Kabara says that this was written by Schmuljakatan at the direction of I believe against the heretics. Who are these heretics the meaning? We usually assume that these are the early Judeo Christians. There's been a lot written on the meaning. Who the meaning were? In fact, I just saw a new article that came out about it. But let's assume it's the Judeo Christians. The problem is when you look at this paragraph it's called beer costs a meaning, but there's nothing in it about the meaning. If you read it, it's has vary the slanderers and then evil, so there's nothing in there about meaning. If you look at art scroll, the arts scroll doesn't know what to make. Arts girls has this whole thing that is machining because they were the heretic, and it's all nonsense. This is no medieval text. No original text has machine. Machine is from the sensors. All the original texts have it begins villamshue madem and any menium. Those are the two words. In fact, in some it doesn't say mashue madin it actually has no stream. Christians the spar Deem have it half right. They have the la machine, they have the Moudy. They take out mashue Madem and they but they still have meaning. I think because in the men was understood to refer to Christians. So in the Spardak world you can refer negatively to people who become Christians that they should be uprooted. But you couldn't say that about prostates to Islam. So instead it was the word was changed until our day, no sea during correctedness or so I wrote in my book changing the Immutable, even the Renati stroll, which did a lot to update and correct, do not make, do not change it. Then it was pointed out to me, however, that there are sea during for example. For example, if you look in this citter, this is published in Vienna about eight years seven years ago. Let's see, I believe it's uh no, no, it's in Vienna in twenty sixteen. This wasn't pointed out to Nise another sitter was I saw this when I was in Vienna. This is by one of the rabbis in the Vienna community, and it gets rid of all the censorship. Everything's exact, and if you look in the shortest ray, it's yehs it right moscheue mad Malta meaning craig ad. That's the original version of it. Uh So, I asked rug Muscles, why doesn't because he published a sitter it's called the siderramadu Yak. It's an exact citter in terms of the Sparda nus, with explanations on where they got everything. It's it's really detailed. And yet that still has the classic Spartak version, which is I think it's a minimu a machine MANI Corniolydor. I think that's where it is, so why not go back that? Why are we still using a false text? And it is it doesn't really have a good answer. He says, yes, the original version of mad but this has been totally forgotten. It's been taken out. And he mentions also everywhere the Gomorrow you look in the original gamarra Is they used the headword machu machumer, but there was changed to Mumar. I don't know why Mumar was thought not as bad as maschumed. But so he says, we say mini machining because that also includes Schumadi, and because a man mushumad the same thing. Even the menim you know, reject to the oneness of God. And of course, and he says the machine ume the slanderers did all sorts of bad things to the Jews. He doesn't really answer my question as to why not do the original version. Yakamenetski used to do the original version even though no Sigurian in his day had it. Why My question to Revmazeus is his sitter is the sinner ramadu yak, which I have behind me for maybe later I get it up there but and show you some things in it. But if you're gonna have a sitter hma do ya and he got they corrected all the other problems in the sitter, Why keep that? I have to say, he doesn't really have a good answer to do that. Yes, and the sinner I was looking at is by Rabbi schomhuffmeister of the end. Yes. Okay, so that's Simon kof Zion. Now we get to Simon show you up something for you here. I'm gonna show you something you all know or you think you know, because here we have a Donabo. Don't we all know a Donahue? Why art school doesn't put it at the end of Dophinin I don't know. But as far as I know, it's pretty universal. And listen to modern orthodoxials say it in a doin. But okay, coming in largest a bit, so you see it famous adnom? What are the first words mean of aDNA hum? That's my question for you. Oh wait a second, hold on, I skipped to pay. I skipped I couldn't play. I skipped something. We're gonna go back to that. I'm gonna go back to that because I skipped something. M Yeah, I don't want to go out of order by mistake. I turned to pages and I skipped, so let's stop there. But the other ones are quick. I don't know if we'll get to it alone. But uh, just the Simon one oh four, I just, I just I asked him something. It's not it's not the sort of thing it's easy to explain unless you have a mishnaias in front of you. But I quoted something that Shadal Schmoldvsato said, and I just want to know if he bought it, you know, a new interpretation of the missioner. And he says about Shadal. Hah obviously knows shad We know Shadal backwards and forwards. The typical Ashkenazi towarst scholar, if they've even heard of Shadal, they've never read it or assuse no Shadal backwards and followards. But he says, Mohammas, he does new things, and he creates trouble. Basically, he says that he in some places he disputes with the interpretations of Hazel, and he does and he does do his view even in practice. And that's true about Shadah. I'll tell you what he's alluding to here, Shudau sometimes interprets the although he's he's regarded as Orthodox in the Ower world. In modern Orthodox world they like to quote him and everything. But there there's one I know in particular, he interprets the verse that against shaving with a razor. He says that it only applies and he says only place in the colonyme or I think that's what he says, and it doesn't apply the way we understand what has I understand it that applies to everyone. And he says that alaha, and I said, I adopted this for me. So when you see a picture of Shadal he doesn't have a beer. And he tells us in a letter that he shaved with a razor because he thought that was shot in the pustle. Now that's on the other hand, Shadah was he trained all the rabbis of Italy. He was like, and this was a private I guess you would say idiosyncrasy that he says in a letter. And he says, I don't tell I don't pusk him this because I'm not a post sag. He doesn't go around to you what to do. But privately he thinks that this is the shot. Well, the rush Bomb came up with all sorts of shots on what is going to the rush Bomb shot is a film. It is not to be taken literally. Rushbomb says that when you free, you know you're supposed to free the slave. He says, well, I mean to Yovo, you could free He's supposed to free the Yovo. This the rush Bomb has many examples where he interprets, but he doesn't do it in practice. He's saying, that's the shot, so shut that's a problem. I have to be honest, that's a problem if you want to use Somebody included him in my book The Limits of Orthodox Theology because he's been part of the canon, even though he has some unusual views. But he also says, nevertheless, there are times that he stood firm against the musculine and therefore people treat him with the respect. For instance, he was the primary person arguing against the idea of the Doudo Isaiah that there are to Isaiahs, and he gave very strong arguments against there being too isaiahs. So Rev. Maazus doesn't like this second Isaiah. Therefore shout with that sense has to be praised. The I mean the the two Isaiah it's not really a dogmatic that trinal thing. In the Rabbinical Seminary of Berlin, Professor Barth who was Zad seimer Son, he was a great Bible scholar. He taught the Second Isaiah to all the students at the Berlin Rabbinical Seminary. You've been Ezra. You look at the beginning of peric and forty men it beIN Isra says that he alludes to it as he always does, but it's a different different prophet hurts somewhere rights it hurts in his parish, and Clublish writes, this is not an issue, and it's not an issue. What's the difference? Really? I don't think so. Yeah, you could say it's a prophecy, but whatever, it's not really in at least the Verbinical Seminary of Berlin didn't think it was dogmatic. The next tuva, we'll get to the Odlum. There's also a quick one. I asked him. I asked him a few questions, most of them are not of interest to us, except for this. I asked him about the min hug in Tunisia. Why don't we ask him that? Because I found in well, first Tunisia oh, well, holden, he's gonna tell us that even today. What I'm going to ask him about is the min hug in Tunis that we're gonna speak with right now. And if you're wondering, tunis minhug, what's going on? There's a yidden and Tunis.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let me show you a good picture here when I was well. First, here is the synagague of Tunis, the main one. There's more than one. There's two functioning shows in Tunis. This is the show and look it has the tetragrammaton right on the front. I took this picture when I was there a you're a year ago, less than a year ago January. I was there before I put to Morocco. Some of you were with Morocco with me. We're told in the Ashkenazic world in Europe, you know that only the Reformers put the tetragrammaton on the show like that. I mentioned that on our Central Europe trip. Until he gets a progue and progue you see that they also did it on the flag. But generally this is the reformers and the Orthodox rabbies were very upset with this, but not a soo. Let me show you I don't. I can't take a picture of the big show in there. But there's a little base Metrish And if you go to Tunis today, you have a nice here. Here's a in like the little base Matriss on the side of the show. I let me show you. You have a school there for boys and a school for girls, and the kids come together every night and they learn. Uh. It's not as religious a community as Gerba, by no means a typical SPARGI like if you know Syrians, other thing typical, Like for example, I was with someone and we walk out of the show and I put something in his pocket. They never do that inera Gerba. They're so mock bid. They have an area of some of the people in Tune are very observant. Oh these are just whatever. You know, they're observant, but they're not super observant. But so this is this, Uh it was I took this into this and uh this was before Minha. In the evening the kids come together to learn extra So there's civil community there with the school and the food and uh the butcher shop which is right near the shore. I couldn't believe it. I'm walking down with my baseball hat my toror emotion. My wou want if you know that, because no one knows. Only once in all my travels, this guy in Amsterdam a year and a half ago, I'm on the train thing and he starts talking to me. He says, oh, you must be Jewish. I said, you're hat But no one knows what to tower means. I guess, so I'm wearing it. I don't have a problem. And well, and behold this guy with the big black kamaka is right there, friend from at the butcher store. So I'm speaking to him. I said, he comes from Gerbi, he's the butcher and I he said, isn't it a problem you're walking around the street with them?
Speaker 1: Ga?
Speaker 2: No, no, everyone knows me And I don't know, because about six months before that there was a big rally right in front of that show, an anti Israel rally. So I would never wear them. Well, I wear it when I go to the UAE. I don't know. They said you could wear the keeper everywhere you go in the UAE. So I'll let you know. The question I asked him was follows though, if you look in the response of Kazan from here ci Cerrol and in Rome he was the Robe of Rome. We did classes with him on her emotion. We're going to get back to the classes on great rabbis. There's gonna be a surprise, the ones when we finished with the Safer I just started today. He's a god though, but not a sort of the god though that many people think. I found in the crosshall roamy. He describes as as follows what the Availian would do. And I wanted to know was this the practice when you were growing up in in Tunis? He says as follows that everyone would come dolviin on shaw this in the house of the mourner, the house of the other. We don't do that. The ovel comes to shul and after shannaes ray the of Shabas Chakras or maybe Muslim, I don't know. We just as Aframda, the the the the guy who gives the eulogy would stand up the domes and would give and would give a spade on shabis for the the dead person. And everyone comes to this house to hear that. Do we have it? Do we ever do espate? I don't know. I never heard it, I've never seen it. I can't imagine it. U and we don't do dofning at the house of the oufl anyway on Shabis generally, although we men we wont sometimes, but we went not show this morning. And then he says after but this is chakris actually, because it says then they go to the show here Christa Talla and raisa Moscha. Hazan says he doesn't remember if the availing themselves will go here a Christatola or not. So I asked for mazums. This is an interesting practice that you oh dofin shakharis at the house and then you even do I guess you stay for mussa for the show, but you do the hespaede at the house shaba morning and you dovin at the house of the other. And he says, this is also the men out today in Tunis. But he says that the the hespape the Drussia on the Niftar, we do it in the afternoon in his house. And he says, the availing today do go to show here kris of tower or they bring the tower to their house. But so in Tunis to this day they'll do shabists during the Shiva. They'll have a Russia or espe of sometimes you don't know the difference in Russia and Hespe because the whole hespape is all a Russia. But usually the dress is supposed to pull in things about the person who passed away, and you can hear by the instantly they just put on spading thirty days for Redovet Feinstein MTJ on their website. MTJ has a website that shows you also it's not a typical Haredi Yeshiva. I was informed of this by the administrator on it because thanks to Borrow, who told me that MTJ came out with this big volume some years a couple of years ago, some years ago, which gives the whole history. I ordered it today. You have to make a nice donation. I've made a nation and they're sending it out to me. So hopefully by next week I'll have information about exactly EMPTYJ when it was founded at center. Okay, So now the last thing, the next one is because Imani and we did this will be the last one. We get to today a dono um. So next week we'll get to where where Mosusa and I appear in you rca citter. But let's go back to the adalum here and let's figure this out. So here you have a dona hum? So what does a mean? The first words? I'm gonna tell you something now that I have found is not only is completely unknown in regular Jewish circles. I've even found experts, not academic scholars, tanach experts who were shocked when I told him this, and maybe for good reason, because Ramazous doesn't accept it. But here's what I'm telling you. If you look in all the dictionaries, the Bible dictionaries b dB, BDB is Brown Driver of Briggs and all the others, you will find that all the modern Biblical scholars agree the word olam does not mean world in Tenough. You cannot find anywhere in Kanough where the word olam means world. Rather, what does alam mean? It means eternity. And we'll see examples of this. So that then raises the question, what does a donalam mean? Is it using olam in the rabbinic sense, the missionary sense where it means eternity? I mean, sorry, it means world adonolam? Or is it being used as eternal here? You I'm just looking. I opened up to the rca sitter that has eternal eternal Master. Look at what the arch romance Master of the Universe. Now. Before getting into any more detail, I just think, if you just look at the translation, what does it say, Master of the universe, who reigned before any form was created, at the time when his will brought all into being. Then as king was his name proclaimed. After all it ceased to be the also one will reign alone. I think it's clear. Just I'm shot it has to be eternal. You're saying eternal Lord, who reigned before anything was created. He brought everything into being when no one was around. After all it ceased to be. He will still exist. If you just look at a Donald Um shot, I think it's obvious that it means it's referring to God's eternity. Hu ha yah. Yeah, he was, he will is and will be. A believer, he is sheetably taht. He has no beginning, no end. So leaving aside, you know the word olam is that it could mean world. Everyone knows it can also meaning So even if you think that could mean world, I think from shot, if you look at a donolam, the shot is obvious, at least to me. You can disagree if you want that it can only mean eternal world. And that's how the new rc eternal, eternal, master, eternal word whatever. That's how burn Bound has it. Also the new RCA also the Sola Pool. The Sola Pool was the sitter commissioned by the RCA. It never really took off and never was that popular. Some shows did it. It was only for Shavis that was a problem. Also burn Bound Burnbaum was a better sitter, so burn Bound became very popular. I asked, though Mazous about this, and I'm gonna point on something else and the second but where arts grows and this, I tell you they get wrong at least I think, but then they get something so right. It's they got to be given all the credits. But I wrote to Muss because he has notes on a poem of the judeng Levi, and there he speaks about uh this as referring to master of the world. So I write to him. First of all, I don't get it. Oham only means in Tanach. It never means world. It only means eternal. And I'm assuming I was assuming when I wrote that that the poem was using biblical terminology, but also the forma. The whole thing seems to refer to eternity. He writes to me, this view that olam only means eternity. That's the view of the krim throni ours, that's the view of the modern biblical scholars. So oam but tanah perisho metsach that, oh I'm in tanah means eternity. The modern Biblical scholars say that the word tevil, that's how you say world. But he says, and this is where it gets interesting, I'm not sure if I agree with him. He says, kaz Aal did not understand it, and he brings a proof to proofs. First, he brings a proof from Brothers Tomorrow and Brothos Uh fifty four A says as follows, in the mission not tomorrow missions a douke game. He's penis what this means is I have an English translation here? When the originally they used to say in the base that made us just the o them. But when they go they say in one of the brothers. But when the Saducees said that there's only one world, you know, the Saducees didn't believe in the world to come. Therefore, what did they what did the rabbis decree that instead of saying just the word olam, instead we should say minha oa the from including that this world and the next world. So he's saying that we see that Hazau understood oam as referring to this world and the next world, and therefore there's no reason to assume they want to use it here oham in that way. Well, that doesn't really answer my question. Of course, Razau understood oham as being both of them, so that that's obviously. But my assumption was that that this is using biblical terminology. But then he gives another example. He says, don't tell me that even in the Torama, oham only means eternity. He gives this example. He cites a pusserer here is chapter eighty nine enough to hill him verse three kiam Marti, for I said olam hassebone. So if you look at the JPS translation, here forever is mercy built as Mercy's around forever. However, if you look at the Kamara and it is quoted by Rashi here in in Vayikra we have in you're zion, what does the Pusics say? It's it's a prohibition on taking your sister. You can't marry your sister. And what does it say? It says Rosa, who this word? Hassen's unusual word because usually think of hesaid as a mercy or something like that. But has said, here means disgrace. You look at b dB and he explains that that word so it's a disgrace. What does Rashi say? Quoting the gamaras who herapa first? He says that it means rapa disgrace Hasuda? What's the mid rush? He says, if you're gonna say to her, say what he says? You can't marry a sister. But what about Kayan? We're told that there was a girls born. Also Kayan married his sister. What does it say? We've no Solomoni mendo the omnipresent or God in permitting this marriage performed an act of kindness, shine m r. What's the proof? Oh, I'm rusbana The world is both unkindness. So the mid rush actually its a mid rush. Don't think I don't know if it's MAA midrush derives uses that verse, Oh I'm hassei Bona to say sees it as world that is, God gave mercy to the world. And in this case he allowed someone to marry the sister so that they could, you know, uh bring uh progeny to the world. So Ramazoum says here that we see that at least hazau, unlike the modern scholars in terms oh sometimes at least in this case, as also meaning world. I don't know. I have to say, with all respect to Ramazous, I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's you know what's this is the mid Rush. It's not shot. This doesn't mean that the rabbi is Actually if you'd ask them, does it really mean that? No, I think they would say, no, it's shot. Really is that it means forever. But we know the word can mean other things. So does that mean that they thought that they totally the tail it meant that. We can't say. There are many times that Razal use words that in its in a historical meaning, wouldn't have meant that, but it comes to mean something else, so they use it. I'm not convinced that when the mid Rush cites this verse oh and hassidibana, that they really are saying that that the word in its context means a world. That's all I would say to mazous, and then he concludes by saying the python, the one who wrote a dona lump miss Dumma. He said, lum what did he mean when he said a lump rebono? So you can look at your own on champas or any time during this week, look at adno lam. You come to your own conclusion. Is Remazou's correct that a dono lam means reb and Martscrull has it? Or like I think, and all the other sea Durham I mentioned, does adono lam? And if leaving aside what the verse would what the word means at rass et cetera, just look at the all the sentences. Doesn't it mean eternal? Isn't that the simple meanings? Shut? Okay, Oh he's thirty nine thirty. We've had fun. We're gonna time flies when you're having fun. Next class will begin with going from a dona lump to yigdal. Oh you know what we're gonna begin before we before we get too I want to show you. I'm not gonna show you now because we're already finished off the beginning. Next USS arts girl's genius, and I don't know how that they get it that no one else does. I'm gonna pick up with that h next class, and then we're gonna move on to what sort of good stuff we have coming. We have Yigdao, something that I think you'll find really interesting, monushed on them, what is monished on to me? And then I've been waiting a elab or el because then we'll get back to the villain a goone Halilah. Has he sent me interesting stuff from a new volume that explains what's going on with the villain the Goone and Wylah how he sees it as a feminine and okay, all sorts of other interesting stuff we're gonna get to. Let me quickly take the questions the comments. Uh uh, someone asked me which paper, not the Total Link. It's called the Jewish Link. If you're in the New New Jersey, New York area, you know what I'm talking. It's very helpful. It has all the ads this time. Usually you'd have all the pasta hands. Unfortunately we don't have any of that, but you have all sorts of stuff information. The Jewish Week closed, so the only way to get the ads and things is from that. Yes, for Barrio Leebowitz is William Gowertz's son in law. He's he's really special if you're interested in how I spent a whole pace off with him. Ray Hellman says, just today he was bringing Advarturn touch Bates a great medieval authority quote. I'm not sure. Oh it's coming down. I Gotti raised Kiddish rabban He quotes the Rabbanit. Okay, well that's yeah. That's mentioned in Hagdoli where at the end of it, after giving all the rabbi he has rabanite and he mentions the see. I I don't know when the touch bakes says Rabbanit. He might mean the rabbits in. I'm right. I couldn't figure out from the context it means rabbits in, or because he quoted she said. She said, uh, Thera, I think he means rabitson but includes it. He doesn't mean rabbitson, he means learned women, and he includes it at the end. David says, as a RENOP member, I would rent remember, I would say it's modern Orthodox, not liberal. Actually, Renat was the last show I spoke at before the lockdown. The last shabbist that I went to show was that Renot. But I would say in the modern Orthodox, it's more liberal. I would think, after all, they had Marsha biro speak, so now I went say, it's it's very big on women's issues, et cetera, et cetera. So I think that's, uh, that's in our world today, that's on the liberal side of modern Orthodox. The rabbi by layer of ba Adler is fantastic. People don't know, but I don't know if other shows in t Neck would advertise it took by Robundit. I can tell you I'm not gonna say the name, but something that is also very modern and refused to use the word Robanite woman who had the title. I think over time it's going to become accepted because with the Israeli thing, you know, when we have now zoom and things from the people in Israel, they do have to call them rob a neat. Even in my show or the other show was stars my former show Havasafim, ben A, Jacob and David, they're having something on zoom from someone in Israel. So that's the title rob on Neat. So I don't know if the show in person you would have someone be called rabant, But it's changing. I think and for good reason, as I said, why should we call these people professors? They're Torah teachers. We can come up with some title. Doesn't not have to be rab on. It could be something. Howard says, yeah, prens tashmha nego and is starting very nice. Ah. So they just say Josh Hoffman or Josh Hoffman said that there aren Kryzer use that of expression, kohas Arah, you can get there to keep that in mind. Or Bark Moskowitz was mospitter dovid at you retreavdas. So that's if you go to the mt J dot dot e t U dot com whatever it is you dot org, I think it is. Hold on, I'll tell you right now because just dot E d U M t J dot eed you you'll see the SPA. I have to say I was a little upset though they're all there for the Spade team and people are sitting close to each other and not wearing masks. I don't I don't understand why you at THEA says why you has an antrasecuar studies and the two female teachers and listen as doctor. Well, that's because they are a doctor. Professor is not anyone who teaches at the university can be called a professor. You don't have to have a doctor, a pH d or anything, so you can call people professors. The problem is with the Tora teachers. So one of them who's there, they could have called doctor. She's actually an academic scholar. But you want to give a title, So I get it, But I think Robin need's a much better title for tourer teacher than professor. Professor and professor also has the implication of you know these what can I say, these skeptical academic types, and that's what professor is not a tower return? What can I tell you? Uh, there's nothing wrong with it. I have the title, but it's not a toe return. Whereby sell of a chick when he was doing philosophy, when he taught her revel in the early years, they might then call him, I get they. I bet they called him doctor solach when he's a rosha. He's not doctor soli Achik, He's he's the rebbe. Yes, jose Foer, I could speak another time about jose fo I knew jose Foer. Unfortunately he's not as well known as he should be. He had idiosyncratic views, and he was he had certain negative views about Ashkenazen. And but he comes from that world also. He was he learned in Lakewood. He carried he was one of the people who carried or at the funeral. That's all COO see was to a horn Kolber. But he had certain things against Ashkenhause, let's put it that way. I spoke to him about this as well. I went down to see him. Used to spend the summers in Elberon or Deal, one of those towns, and I went. We we used to have correspondence. He's though, he gave me all the if you know so we in the Orthodox, the stuff about or in it. I spoke to him about this. I got it from Rabbi Shama, but then he gave me stuff. I have more stuff also. Subsequently, that was a big loss. Rabbie Silverman, Yes, the Silverman United Synagogue sitter Ellen says that Rena distros under the sin ose. Okay, it's hard for me to yigdah the person commenting on yigd oh. I will get to yidah next class. So hold on, whoever privately did it, and I'll tell you what we discovered and how it got into the sitter. The rc Citterir in motion just sent two classes on Shadah. Yes it did that of Weisades. He quotes Shadal in one place you can find it. Cahadal wrote an amazing letter against the reformers and didn't circumcise their kids. And he said you have to throw them out. They can be part of the community. H So, Shadau, what do you do about someone who, in his public life is completely not just to observant, a defender of totra and an attacker. Sometimes he went too far, like he attacks the rumbaumb, but it came from a place of piety, like herschattack the rombum. He didn't like philosophy. He says, I'm not interested in kant k and T. I want to knock t Nak isn't knach. But you have someone who in a private letter acknowledges that he violates how Aha for ideological reasons because he doesn't things. That's shocked. So it's it's interesting, and it's I don't know if that's better than some one who acknowledges visa just because he doesn't care or's weak, or I don't know what to make of that. I mean, some people would say that that's a kofir shadal, but he's he's unique. Put it that way, crime says, is it possible that the follower of Messas and Tunis regarding carrying out Shabbat and that's why someone puts something in his pocket. No, that's not h that's not at all the reason. And it's just that this the person now I know, is not so observant. He's a uh, he's not that learned either, he's just a it's some What happened was when the French came into Tunisia with the Alian schools, it led to a lot of irreligiosity. You even had some intermarriage with Christians, and you had a lot of people whore not show Marshamas. And then you had a lot of people who were like the people that you think of in the nineteen fifties, or if you live outside New York areas, we go to the modern residic shoals, but are themselves not that observant ensure. But you have none of that because they refuse to let these schools in. The rabbis refuse to let the Alian schools in, but in Tunis, Tunis is like a modern Orthodox community. Every in my modern Orthodox community, if we didn't have an air, if you still have people uh carrying things, and you probably have people still pushing baby carriages probably, but we have errors now so you don't have that issue. Growing up. Of course we had that baby carriages every Childish. So it's not for holstic reasons. There's a it's a if you know the Syrian community also, you have different levels of religiosity. It's the same thing in Italy, it's the same thing. It's the same thing all over. That's that's how Jews always lived and that's that's what you see today. And in Tunis, Rabbi German and hugging are different higher than Tunis. I mean, well, obviously there's different in hugging, but Gerba is a much more observant place. I mentioned already every single woman in Gerba where's a techo and they're very mock pidy and it's because of the Allians they didn't allow it. Rafaian Angel claims that Isaiah too was no longer a show him not worth enough scholars and it's accepted. Okay, Well, if clime Angel says, if clim angels a great biblical scholar, and he's in the field, so like I wouldn't think it would be an issue, which is like I don't think dating of the Zoe War is an issue, but it is an issue. As you go further to the right, Mike says that me or Nates Slime and Israel have websites also, like what also now is a website here? I was just being tongue in shape there o, Mike says, can't mean eternal. Well, we see JPSA this eternal and many other ton off sou if you look at b dB he sees it as eternal. Yes, okay. So someone tells me that the a sitter, a very good sitter vocalizes mahai with a segment that's like a m has and he says that that an old the old your souls. It's with a seg office with a segal. Then it's a verb verb form thank you, but yes from Shopdai sofa if you oker of Shopai sofur sitter. He says that everything there is with the sairay and everyone is a now form. Even Jim timtar Ravoshia that that over there should also be a noun form that is the resurrector. So thank you for that, Howard says. The Orthodox scholarship even except tridoh Isaiah. Yes, the very end of Isaiah a third prophet. I guess yes, Mollocks is attributed to more than one author. Ib in Israel already tells us hints to the fact that it's a second Isaiah, the third Isaiah. It's never been a knee car. It's never an issue. It's just it's a prophecy. So what's the matter? The same thing into Hilim, the second half of the Pusser refers to a place, so makes sense that the O in the first half is also a place. Kia Marti, I said, O shamayim. Forever mercy is built in the very heavens, you establish your faithfulness. Let me show everyone here the plusic so they can see the interesting point that is being made. So Mike is saying, if you look in plus a gimbo. If if the first second half of the verse is saying, in the heavens you establish your faithfulness, so presumably the first half is going to be this world. For I said, mercy is is in this world, and in the heavens you establish your faithfulness. I don't know. It also reads, well, forever mercy is forever is mercy built, and you read it mercy is a parallel to faithfulness. It's I don't you have a pro album like, uh, you and I guess were mazous and that nowhere else. Well, I should say that maybe you can find a few where you could type shit to say it, But uh, it's an obam. Is used all the time, and it's not like we have lots of examples. There's a Ebn Ezra. I think on this Puster if I recall makes the claim that it's not sim in isra. The regular commentators, traditional medieval commentators do read it as a world. So but if it is world, if that's the exception, then just one exception, not others. Okay, but that's that's ramazoos. The Yu catalog had one course taught by the roof. He was listened as Professor of Tomwood. Yeah, the catalog they used, but in class he never would reformed to that. But high Crime Stalvation was a rosashiva in the early seventies. So I'm assuming you called Kai, I'm your new call him professor. You called them rabbi. But in the afternoon, you call him professor Rackman. Rabbi Rackman would refer to the Rove as doctor sulli Ach. I once asked Norman Lamb about this, and Norman Lamb didn't want to be critical, but he said that you could tell what people value by how they refer to the rough. I don't think that for Rapman, he wanted to show that the Rove was also a great secular knowledge. That was his way of putting the rove, praising the rof, putting him higher than the other russiashiva because they all were rabbized. But the rov was also a doctor. But I agree with doctor Lamb. That's why I asked him. Although he was called doctor Lamb, not Rabbi la but and he made his mark really not in the Ravinic world. In the other world. To refer to Rubbi Salavatik as doctor Solivacik, you know, it seems a little and it's not fitting. It's not where he made his mark. On the other hand, you're not going to call David Berger or David Schatz Rabbi Burger Rabbi. They made their marks as doctors. The famous story is that people would call up rabby Sola Achx's house and say, I'd like to speak to doctor Selli Aci. You know, his wife would answer the phone and she would say which doctor Sella Achik. She was also a doctor. Okay. Mel says that his nephew's wife is Rabundique Carmi. But if you go a meddlos, but if you look onto Medello's website, they don't have I didn't see it, at least I didn't see them calling them rabund I just saw them with their name. Okay. Oh and finally and I said this, Daniel says jose A JTS. Yes, jose Fa Or was one of the number of Orthodox people who taught at JTS. The old expression was that JTS had Orthodox teachers teaching conservative rabbis the minister to reform lity uh. And there's a lot of truth to that, because if you go down the list, one Orthodox person after another. And yes, and because of jose for Or teaching at the seminary, that's what led to the huge controversy that he was pushed out of the mainstream community in Washington Heights. I published about this in in Notash Heights and in Flaplish Syrian community I wrote about this at the end of Soliman the Orthodox, and subsequently I published a new document. I found a letter from Rabbi ben Haim mom ben Haim Kraim the noting the other one. I think it was Ben Haim who who was the like the other major rabbi not been Raim, the one who wrote magain Badi uh Matubabadi sorry Matubabadi, the author of the chew of Magain Badhi who was also a leading figure in the started community here. He was the post sake for the Syrians, great great Rabbi Uh. He he was a businessman and when he went to work he didn't have a yamaka on and he was he's a great a lot of authority. But he also wrote a letter of big to Rabbi Nissim chief in defense of Rabbi war Uh that always doing is teaching there. Lieberman wanted to get great Orthodox scholars, and Rabbi fat Or had a big influence on many many students, and it's unfortunate that he was sort of they never found his place in the community. And he had a yeshiba and he started yeshiba in the early night fifties early sixties where a lot of the Syrian rabbis learned there, and then then he went off to Spain he got his PhD. H it's a whole story he is. If you don't know any of fo worse stuff, it is recommended with that, I think we've gone long enough for tonight.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give the podcast to listen