Speaker 1: Good evening. The makers of the New Rinso bring you the Amoson Andy Show with their guest tonight, the star of stage and screen, mister Walter Houston. Well, trouble is nothing new to amoson Andy or their friends. They're usually able to cope with almost anything that comes along. However, today George Stephens, the Kingfish, seems to have run into a.
Speaker 2: Little extra trouble which appears to be more than he can handle.
Speaker 1: Right now, he is in the office at the Lodge Hall trying to explain it to Amoson Andy.
Speaker 3: No, boys, I'll tell you, I don't want to sit down. Two nervous? Are two nervous? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Trembling on?
Speaker 3: I take it is a king fief.
Speaker 4: I can't boys, I jammed up. I'm really in a mess. Or I tell you I'm being sued. What is it being sued for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And who is doing it?
Speaker 4: I be ensued by a fellow by the name of nist Jackson, and for no reason at all. I was just exercising my rights as a citizen of the United States of a murder to use freedom of speech.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I called him a crook, a LoVa or swin land of bum and the man u crook, a loaf of swinland of bum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do the constitutional lie you to say that?
Speaker 4: Well, there's a freedom of speech, there are full freedoms and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I only called him four that's right.
Speaker 4: If I'd have called him a thief on top of that, that made fire freedoms and the man got the kids against me to see, Or that's a dangerous thing to do. When did you do it? Or here's the whole story. A few weeks ago, I writed this for the n Jackson the letter. Now in the letter I called him to those names, and now he's suing me for one thousand dollars he claimed i'd done smirched up his repetition.
Speaker 2: Oh that nifty Jackson didn't have a thousand dollars worth of reputation to smirch up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that ain't what counts to tell me, King Fish, how is he gonna.
Speaker 4: Handle the kids by getting a lawyer? Or I gonna see the alley lawyer that hangs around back of the jail.
Speaker 3: I gonna see him.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, jare he charges big money before he's gonna give you any advice. Where you're gonna get the door to pay him.
Speaker 4: Brother, And I think I got a great idea for that. I was going home now and see the little woman.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 3: Honey, you engagement ring don't sparkle? Legged order? Well, what's the matter with that ring?
Speaker 4: Or that diamond used to look like the twentieth century limited coming in at night?
Speaker 3: Now look at it? Not a twinkle into things.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful diamond, though, Joyce.
Speaker 3: But the thing needs cleaning. Let me look at that. Yeah, look at it. That that that thing leeds.
Speaker 4: Give me that ring, I'll take it over to the jeweler and I'll have him give that a good cleaner. I want my wife to sparkle like other women's sparkle. There's nothing sloppy looking than dirty diamonds. Now, look here, honest, Joe, you are to give me more than fifteen dollars on that stone.
Speaker 6: That's the top price, Kingfish, You see, the way we figures is on the color of them. Blue white stones is worth the moves. The plain white ones is fair. The yellow ones ain't so good. Oh yellow bed huh?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: What color would you say? This one is? Well?
Speaker 6: Kingfish in the tree, this is what we call a jungice diamond.
Speaker 7: A yellow uh huh, yellow and cloudy.
Speaker 6: Even a yellow diamond, you is supposed to see the daylight through it. In fact, this Kingfish looking at this again, I see it's money too.
Speaker 3: Give me the fifteen dollars. Just give me the fifteen dollars. Okay, now now look at it. You know what I want to do on top of that? Yeah?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 3: You take a stone out of the ring.
Speaker 4: Now here is a rhyme stone that I got at the five and ten cent store.
Speaker 3: Put this in place of it, and I'll take it home to the little woman and put it back where it was.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, I'll make.
Speaker 7: The switch for you.
Speaker 3: Tell me this. You think that my wife will notice the difference.
Speaker 6: Well, if she does, it's only because the rhyme stone looks better than the diamond.
Speaker 7: Well, Kingfish is your lawyer. There's two ways you can settle this case.
Speaker 3: What is there?
Speaker 7: Well, the first is to paid man the one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: I like the second way better. Well, I ain't told you what the second way is yet. Well, whatever the other I know, I don't like it.
Speaker 7: Butter Well, the second way is the result of some pretty heavy studying. I skimmed over several similar cases looked over the whole legal aspect of the keys. And this is my personal opinion as an attorney that there's a way that can't fail.
Speaker 3: Now you're talking now, now, what is that tell me that?
Speaker 7: Well, scare the pants off the other lawyer scam so bad that he'll drop this to it against you.
Speaker 3: Put fear in him, f doubly r fear. Well, now, I don't know about that though. That's gonna take a lot of thought and time. Uh, there's nothing else I could do.
Speaker 7: Huh, Well, there is a third way?
Speaker 3: Or was that? Uh?
Speaker 7: The third way ain't included in the fifteen dollars.
Speaker 3: Or I'll see the money that I've paid you only includes two ways.
Speaker 7: Yeah, runs approximately seven dollars and a half away. You see the reason the third way runs into extra money. It's caused it all postgraduate stuff. Stuff I didn't learned after my diploma was framed and on the wall and everything.
Speaker 4: H Well, I just can't afford it though, But you know, come to think of it, that's second way and bad at all.
Speaker 3: Put fear in the other lawyer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just what I gonna do.
Speaker 2: What took you so long? King Vic?
Speaker 4: But after I went over to the Fawn's job, I had to sneak back into my house without my wife's seeing men and put the phony ring back in the jewel box, actually keep it.
Speaker 3: And then I went to see the Ali lawyer.
Speaker 2: See. Oh yeah, well what the alle lawyer tell you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, my Alley lawyer told me to put fear in the man fear. Yeah. You know people that's more scared of fear than anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, how is you gonna do it?
Speaker 3: Now? Look at you.
Speaker 4: When I meet Sniff, the Jackson's lawyer, I was supposed to make him think of that is tough, A cool blooded, mean tough guy.
Speaker 3: I all supposed to make.
Speaker 4: Him think that if they don't drop that kids against me, I'll liable to beat them both up.
Speaker 2: Uh, when do you start this one man rain of terror?
Speaker 3: I starts leaning right away if de happens and that at Nithtery Jackson's lawyer, a man by the name of mister Nelson called me up and he wants to meet me at four o'clock this afternoon to see if I want to settle. That is when I gonna show him how tough.
Speaker 2: I a Isay, well, how can you make a man scared of.
Speaker 4: You, or it's gonna be a sin sander. I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. Wait a minute, well here's my man. Now come in here, leightning.
Speaker 3: What if you want to see me bout brother Kingsley's lightning? For certain reasons, I want to be a tough guy. I want you to find me a man that will let me punch him in the nose, and I'll give him two dollars for it. I'll let you punch me in the nose for two dollars.
Speaker 2: No lightning.
Speaker 4: I gotta leave friendship out of this. Give me a total stringer, a nice size fellow.
Speaker 3: Can you do it?
Speaker 5: Iaser?
Speaker 3: Now good? Now here's what I want you to do. Like them you know where Sam punch from aasa.
Speaker 4: I'll be there at full thirty on the dot, me Andy and a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Hiava.
Speaker 4: Now we'll sit down so there'll be an empty stool next to me. Tell the man to sit down next to me on the empty stool and order a hamburger and have him saved with pickle, onions and mustard. I'll know it's him when I hear them words, and I'll pick a fight with him.
Speaker 3: And I'll punch him in the nose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll get busy on it right now, and i'll have the man at the lunch room at four thirty sharp.
Speaker 3: Who'll care?
Speaker 2: Let the well I show hope everything work out all right, King Fish, Oh, it.
Speaker 3: Can't miss brother in it.
Speaker 4: The whole idea is fool proof, punching the guy in the nose, scaring the pants off. They're the lawyer hawking my wife's diamond.
Speaker 3: Why and there? Within a year, I bet they'll.
Speaker 4: Be teaching this stuff in every law school in the country.
Speaker 7: Hello, Sam's lunch room, he'll die.
Speaker 5: Man sitting at the counter by the name of King Fish Stephens.
Speaker 3: No, ain't nobody here now? All the stool's empty.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm supposed to have a man there for him at four thirty sharp, but.
Speaker 5: I couldn't find one for him today.
Speaker 3: But sure i'll have one dare for him tomorrow. Well, I'll tell you what i'll do. I'll call up the Kingfisher about five minutes. Okay, go right on in, Nelson, right on in there. I don't know why we're going here to this lunch room. I don't want anything to eat.
Speaker 2: It won't take long. I'll sit on the en stool here, King Fisher, Miss Nelson, you sit next to me, and King Fish, you sit down there?
Speaker 3: Could we have two hamburgers? Sam? Okay, excuse me, I lean down here on time my shoes.
Speaker 2: H You know, Miss Nelson, this King Fisher is a tough guy.
Speaker 3: Anybody makes it mad across him. He's a fighter from the word go. What are you fellows talking about? Uh? Just sealing my muscle in my right arm. Here, gotta have this sleeve made bigger?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, here we go. H well, look at that. There's a fella sitting next to Kingfish.
Speaker 3: What do you have? One hamburger? Please? One hamburger?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Put some pickle and onions and mustard, dollo for me?
Speaker 7: Will it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Then we're right on schedule. Here I go, say, bud, uh, well you pass me that salt up here in front of us. Sure pairs the pepper too. Okay here it is, uh pay us to catch it? Catch it all right? I don't see any catching Listen, I don't took it just about enough from you. Stand up.
Speaker 2: Watch this, mister.
Speaker 3: What's the matter? Put up your deuce. I'll show you what's the matter. Take this? Yeah, look and it.
Speaker 5: The Kingfish is opening his eyes now, Oh me, Well there's a we brung.
Speaker 3: You over here to your office, Kingfish, he was laying on the sofa. Oh me, every boone in my body aches.
Speaker 2: See if you can open that left eire yours?
Speaker 3: Kingfish? Who was that fella that I got in the fight with.
Speaker 2: Well he seemed to be a pretty nice fella. He even helped us pick you off the floor and carry over here.
Speaker 3: Oh what did you.
Speaker 2: Put on my nose? Boys?
Speaker 3: Uh? We didn't put nothing on there? You mean that what I feel there is all nose.
Speaker 2: Every inch of it. Ah.
Speaker 5: Here, Kingfish, here's a piece of beef steak I got you for your eye. Let's put it right on there now. That'll help take the swelling down. Oh me, I still could have licked that fella if it'd been a fair fight.
Speaker 2: Well what wasn't fair about it? He was my head shorter than you was.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, well that's where I had the advantage of me. You see, I had my arm up guarding myself like this, and he was so short that he got under my guard and before I could get him for money day, I was on the floor.
Speaker 2: Well, Kfish, that whole plan of yours was a flop?
Speaker 3: What is he gonna do about the lawsuit?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Kingfig? Listen, boys, the ali lawyer has got a third way, Howard that I can handle the whole thing with the judge.
Speaker 4: But it won't tell me unless I give him five dollars extra in advance. Well, I just ain't got it, King Fig, and I was flat broke.
Speaker 3: I gotta get five dollars somewhere to find out how to handle his kids. Listen to us. I'll tell you what you do. Go over to my way.
Speaker 4: She's got some money that she's gonna give the landlord today. Ask her to let me have five dollars of that.
Speaker 5: All right, I go over there and see what I can do. So you see, that's the whole story, Saphire. The Kingfish needs the money to pay a lawyer.
Speaker 6: Well, I ain't got it, amos is isn't already paid the landlord to rent this morning?
Speaker 3: And another thing, I ain't seen the Kingfish. Where is he at? He didn't come home last night? Well he is alright.
Speaker 5: Uh, he was uh sort of stretched that on the sofa restling when I left him.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's been mixed up in a lot of things here Lily Well, is he well? Is he ethal?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's Ethan alright? Uh a fact it is the last time I seed him, he had his eye on a steak. Well, Amos, I'd like to give him the five, but I just ain't got it. Wait a minute, I know what I'll do. Oh is he got a idea, Amos?
Speaker 6: Is at a time like this that a wife has got a stick by her husband, no matter what the cost of the sacrifice is, I just gonna raise the money for that.
Speaker 7: Lord.
Speaker 3: Oh that's wonderful. How is he gonna do it? I've gone out and pawn my domin engage with rent.
Speaker 1: It's been a busy morning in Judge Houston's court, where the Kingfish will appear later in the afternoon. But right now, before the Kingfish's case comes up, the judge is concluding another case just prior to his noon recess motion.
Speaker 3: For a new child denied.
Speaker 8: James Edward Farrington, you is defendant in this case, are entitled to no sympathy from this court. The crime for which you were originally brought here is insignificant compared to your attempt the war of the opinion of a court of justice through Bibrary sentence just imposed upon you for attempt at Bibery is extremely severe that it stand as a lesson to those who are of the belief that judges and juries.
Speaker 3: Can be bought, and so like commar this is in a public market.
Speaker 8: The judicial system of this country has built up a reputation for honesty and integrity over a period of many years, and as judge of this court, I am going to do everything in my power to do my part in preserving that reputation. By let's take the prisoner away. Be a recess for lunch, but it will reconvene.
Speaker 3: At too thirty.
Speaker 8: Are you going to lunch, Judge Houston, No, I'm just going to have a glass of milk. This last case has upset me somewhat. I have a little headache. I think I'll go over to the park and sit down on a bench and get a little fresh air. There's nothing that infuriates me like a man trying to bribe somebody.
Speaker 3: Well, le's sit down on this park bench here, brother Andy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got about forty five minutes before you gotta go to court.
Speaker 3: Yeahs all prefair door like a tool. You're the Halley lawyer to a milk all that stuff. How to handle Judge Houston? You know he's the judge that's gonna handle my kids.
Speaker 2: Tell me this, how did you raise that five dollars to pay the alley lawyer or.
Speaker 4: One of the brothers the large all in to have it? Oh, it's all set to take care of this, Judge Houston. I got the box of seaguards on the am, a couple of bucks in my pocket.
Speaker 3: And do one of your men have a match?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, yes, I think I got one here, Thank you very much, Thank you?
Speaker 3: My device to down here?
Speaker 2: Oh Nosa, move over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Where you boys from?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: We live up around one hundred and twenty fifth Street.
Speaker 2: Uh yes, sir, h my friends. Yeah, the kingfish is waiting to go in the coat over there?
Speaker 3: Yuh going over the Judge Houston's court. Oh is that song?
Speaker 2: The ain't gonna take a long ago? I?
Speaker 4: Yes, No, hein't gonna take us long ago. I knew exactly how to handle that judge.
Speaker 3: No you doing?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, how do you handle Judge Houston?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I got a boxer seaguars. Y're gonna slip him down a little bride for stuff, you know, what.
Speaker 3: Else what I gonna do?
Speaker 2: And only five cents c guards to plenty? Good enough for him?
Speaker 3: Five cents of guards.
Speaker 8: I suppose you saved the ten cent once for the Supreme Court cases.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, Yeah. Another thing, if the seaguards don't work, why we got a few bucks.
Speaker 3: In cash for the judge? You mean to say that a judge. Let's say, for instance, this Judge Houston can be bought.
Speaker 4: Well, I wouldn't go though farthers here that he can be bored, but he s then it can be rented.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, these days you can get to them.
Speaker 3: Well that's very very interesting. Tell me more.
Speaker 4: How would you well, how would you reach Judge Houston? Oh that ain't hard. Or Judge Houston reaches awful easy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our lawyer told us all about how to handle it.
Speaker 3: The Judge Houston an no motor. Nobody else is. He doesn't cook it as the others. You know. Oh, this Judge Houston is a crooked judge Jerman. Oh yeah, so he stuffed his own ballot boxes. That's how Judge Houston got elected.
Speaker 2: Yes, the man is crooked as a snake.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He wears one of them long black gowns in the court. They tell us, somebody hand him a box of sea guards, a couple of pounds of steak, a few dollars. All I gotta do is shove it under that gown. Ain't nobody gonna see the g.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 8: That's that's what those guns are for. They sort of make things disappeared, or you know them to.
Speaker 3: It when you get a judge like Houston. Well, I still don't see how you expect to do something like that in a court.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a sense. The most important thing is the wait evenne Look, I'm surely just how we work it, just how we bribe the judge.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm glad to know these things.
Speaker 4: Now, I lost the pools that this is the courtroom right here, and we'll use this bench we sitting on here for the judges bench. And you can just stand here and kind of watch the thing. Now you mister, can you make believe you as judge Houston?
Speaker 3: Well, I shouldn't be too high. Okay, then the trial has just thought.
Speaker 2: Well, now wait a minute, wait a minute, you got to get on the stand, King Fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, mother, you play like you Judge Houston. Now you asked me to get on the stand. My name is George King Fish Stephens.
Speaker 8: All right, when the defendant, George King Fish Stephens, please take the stand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, wait, don't take a thing too seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after all, we just talking the thing over here, mister.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Now I was in the chair on the witness stand. Now O leans over to you and I say, uh, hi, you judge. Then I say to you listen, Houston, old boy.
Speaker 3: Uh can I come behind the bench there and speak to your private conferential and under your hat? Now as the judge, you say something back to me.
Speaker 8: You know, anything you have to say to me, you can say to this cart. Wait a minute, monse, So you can't talk that way.
Speaker 3: All that was a matter. Look at you. See what I trying to do. I trying to show you something. Now you were supposed to act like you was judge using. I don't think you get the idea of what were you trying to do here?
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't get the idea mister.
Speaker 3: Uh So now be more natural. Now, look, I gonna stay to you here. Now.
Speaker 4: I say, now, now I own the witness stand and you sitting on the judge bench, I say to you, as a judge, old boy, Uh, judge, I got a little package here for you. Now give me an answer to that, and I'll show you.
Speaker 8: Any package that you have that has any bearing on this case can be opened in front of the cart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you see, judge.
Speaker 8: Await a minute, month, Await a minute, my mother, you can't talk that way, but barren again, I feel that that's what a judge might say.
Speaker 5: You do.
Speaker 3: Huh. I see someone coming for me. It looks like I might have to be running along. Well, see you again soon. Yes, we may meet again very soon. Excuse me a second. I hate to bother you, but.
Speaker 8: There's a long distance call and the operator says it's a person to person for you, Jude Houston.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll take it. Goodbye boys, And.
Speaker 4: What uh you remember the man that was sitting here on the bench with us. Yeah, remember the man that walked up to him? Yeah, when he walked up.
Speaker 3: To him, Think now, and did he call him? No, I ain't gonna mastered. That couldn't.
Speaker 4: That's a that'd be a seven million to one shot. The biggest coincidence ever happened in the world.
Speaker 3: Now look at it. The man was sitting here right uh. Now, another man walks up to him.
Speaker 2: Ain't no question about that.
Speaker 3: You heard every word he said, Jine.
Speaker 4: When he walked up and told him about the long distance telephone. Did he call him something that started out with the letter each?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Now listen, Nanda, think good, pull all your brains together and one lump. I'm gonna ask you something.
Speaker 3: Did he call him? Uh? Huh?
Speaker 8: So, I say, in the case of Lefty Jackson versus Kingfish Stevens, the paintiff has shown no evidence of libel. A male let a mail in a sealed envelope to the paintiff does not constitute libel in the eyes of the law.
Speaker 3: The case is dismissed.
Speaker 8: Before I adjourned court, I would like to say something curly for the benefit of the defendant. A black robe worn by a jurist is a symbol of justice. It is never worn to hide anything.
Speaker 3: Court adjourn and come away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: And it's over, brother, and he has over put it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I'm gonna tell you something. King's face. I want to tell you that Judge Houston's show was fair with you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I say it was, fan. I ain't never been just scared before my life. After what we've done said to him in the park. Or this has been a great lesson to me, brother, And I ain't never gonna do nothing again that will get me in trouble with the law. My skirts is clean, and boy, I gonna keep them that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put it.
Speaker 2: There, Come on, let's get out of here. Pardon me just a minute.
Speaker 3: Are you George Stevens the Kingfish? Oh? Yeah, so that's very does iorge Stevens? What do you want to do? Take a picture of something for the newspaper. No, I have a warrant here for your arrest.
Speaker 2: A lady is having you arrested for pawning the stone out of her diamond ring.
Speaker 3: Willed that ain't old, lady, that's my wife.
Speaker 1: Be sure to be with us again next Friday evening at the same time when the makers of Brinso again bring you the Amos and Andy Show, at which time Amos and Andy will have as their guest the fine picture actor mister Franklin tang Borne. Meantime, this is Hallow Wilcox speaking for all of us, thanking Walder Houston for appearing with us tonight and bidding all of you a pleasant good night.