Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groomri?
Speaker 1: Sorry we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time. No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky Hiks for free at Lucky Landslots dot com.
Speaker 5: Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 3: No purchase necessary board.
Speaker 1: We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applying see website for details.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day, lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: Nope, necessary dvoid over by lost An Eating.
Speaker 6: Clay Loop Toadian.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good evening. Nineteen twenty six was the year that Americans all over the country said screw it, and screw it they did. Mixing too much bootleg booze, marijuana, cocaine, and heroin with fast car sex and jazz music can only lead to trouble. The number of allegedly normal people senselessly committing ghastly murders in nineteen twenty six is astounding. Is like a switch got turned on and some people went mad, unlike any other time in American history. The book they were featuring this evening is nineteen twenty six Homicide in America with my special guest, journalist and author David Colchick. Welcome to the Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Again, David Colcheck, Hey, It's.
Speaker 1: Always great being on this show, and I'd like to thank you and your listeners for liking me.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much for joining us once again. For your latest book. Let me ask this. What was the impetus for this book, nineteen twenty six Homicide in America.
Speaker 1: Well, while I was writing my other five books about mostly about California crime, Maybay, they all were about California crime, I kept finding nineteen twenty things happening in nineteen twenty six that were just outrageous. A lot of them weren't happening in California, so I didn't put them in the book, although I have in my other books, like the terror Bandits of San Francisco happened in nineteen twenty six, Tan't Go and Hall happened in nineteen twenty six. There were two murderers that cop killers that escaped from San Quentin were on the run for a long time. It's pretty crazy. Happened all through the middle of California. So I'm finding all these odd things, and I started a file, and I started putting away, you know, the news clippings of what these crimes that happened, and came up to it, and I had decided I had enough that I could write a book about it. The weird thing about what happened there is that people they were fooled by World War One. You know, God in country. Everybody went out there and everybody, you know, so many people got killed, but so many people people were injured, severely injured. There were laws in some towns that if you were missing a leg or an arm, you had to you couldn't be out in certain like the business district during the daytime. And it just you know, people were just you know a lot of people had damage to their lungs. And you know, a lot of the soldiers during World War One it took them ten years to die. You know, same thing in World War Two. My father had a cousin who died in like nineteen fifty three from the effects of what happened to them in World War two. And so after a war like that, and then they had a Spanish flu pandemic, so everyone knew somebody who died the pandemic flu. The Spanish flu killed young people and healthy people, kind of left older and sick people alone. But you would get it and you'd be dead. You'd be dead. In forty eight hours, you'd just start coughing. Blood just splattered. So everyone knew my wife's my wife's grandmother, her her parents actually would be her great grandparents died in the epidemic, and her grandmother was an orphan. You know, it's like everyone knew somebod who died. People were just going like, you know, what's what's the point? You know, what's the point of everything? You know, when they saw death, you know what else could scare them? What else could bother them? And aroun At the same time, we had probation here in America where they outlawed alcohol, which brought everything underground and made it on to a big party. We had the rise of jazz music, which was something that you know, people never hurt anything like it. I've been reading some other stories about my friend Bill Berg here in Sacramento this story, and he's writing about a section of Sacramento that was torn down d' an urban renewal to put the throughway through. And you know, jazz music hit Sacramento like crazy at all happened in the early twenties and and people never heard things like that. So, you know, then we also had women had the right to develop and both my grandmothers were able to vote in the very first election because of that. But you know, women started saying, you know, hey, I don't need these Victorian rules, and you know, they got rid of the corsets and started relaxing a bit, showing some leg smoking cigarettes, going out unescorted, you know, moving out by themselves. There's a lot of things happened, caused a lot of friction among families and things, you know, And at the same time too, a lot of things are being modernized. For some people that had you know, guaranteed job like a blacksmith or something, or the quintisential buggy whip maker, completely lost their occupations. It just disappeared, you know, kind of like a kind of like a little type of writer or some and you know, so all these changes were happening, and at the same time, this is what I think caused the whole thing. It was the first modern epiphany is that in nineteen twenty six or NBC, the National Broadcasting Corporation, had simultaneously been able to broadcast coast to coast a show all at the same time, so everyone in the country was hearing the same thing. First time in history. Everyone was listening to the same thing, and it's kind of like, you know, the moonshot that just happened the fifty eight or anniversary, you know, and everyone was like, wow, you know, the look at that the same thing kind of happened, except they weren't is articulate about it. You know, there was still a lot of not much modern thinking. People were really second on out old world waste, so they didn't realize what was actually really happening. So all these things combined, you know, along with fast cars. You know, cars were all of a sudden, they were pretty affordable. The economy in the cities were booming. Almost every almost every city in the United States. Their original downtown was built during the nineteen twenties the mid nineteen twenties. Almost all of San Francisco, of the downtown of the old buildings, was built during that time. So it was very prosperous. People had money. They had, you know, money to drink, they had money to buy cars, They had money to go out and have a long drinken drug filled weekends.
Speaker 6: But as you write, but as you write, this is a time that unlike any other time in American history. I mean, you talked about all the conditions that were ripe for this to happen. But despite that, this is an unusual time regardless this nineteen twenty six, Let's talk about one of the first stories that you that really, I guess jumps out of you at this book. This book the story they Urged for Overkill June twenty eighth, twenty eighth, nineteen twenty six, and it goes to May twenty sixth, nineteen twenty seven, a year and you talk about Eva Lina Roll and her friend. She's looking for her friends, so she goes to the house looking for her tell us about what happens at the Role house and this friend and what she finds along with her father that one day when they go to see her friend.
Speaker 1: Well, Rolled in a big house in the old part of Tampa. I guess it's called the Canal District. And Tampa at that time was a major port to Cuba in the Caribbean and stuff, very busy, prosperous place. There's about fifty thousand people there. So they had this big house, extended family, uncles, aunts, niece's, uh, the grandmother. She was anywhere between ninety six and one hundred and one years old. They all lived in this house, and in this big house, they had a lot of you know, social things happening, and they also rented out some rooms to border some stuff. So this girl, Eva or Ruby uh comes over to Eva Roland's house. They were going to go look for a job together, to have some interviews and Ruby's father was going to drive them around so that, you know, it could be a lot nicer. She goes to the door and there's no one there, and you know, this house is pretty much away twenty four seven, with you know, the range of ages of people in the house and stuff. She looked through the window and saw the bloody body laying there. So the police show up and not everybody that lives in the house is there. You know, some people had some jobs out of town, some people were just staying over somewhere else. They find four bodies there. Eva was still alive, but she died in the hospital a couple hours later without getting consciousness. Everybody's head was bashed in with a railroad spike, which is like a hammer with a spike on the end of it. Right, So her forty five year old uncle Bee which is that great name, Uncle b and her her grandmother Caroline and a border who was thirty six year old Charles Anderson, were all just all chopped up. So the cops, you know, they thought, oh, is this a crime thing, and they you know, arrested everybody that had visited him in the last day. And after a year it went cold. They could not figure out who killed this whole family. And so a year later, and this is weird, how I found this story is that originally I just found the murder story, and then later while I was really doing the research for this book, I was scouting through Tampa papers and I found the conclusion of this This is like one of the strangest, strangest murder cases I have ever come across. So a year later, on me twenty six, nineteen twenty seven, there's like a three bedroom, three roomhouse and this little kid that lived their eight year old Hugh Merrill, who woke up on the floor of his bedroom. He'd fallen out of bed, and he went to his parents room and he found them dead. He ran to the house on the sixteen year old brother who was coming home from there. They killed a baby, the husband and wife, eleven year old, a five year old, and a three month old baby. They all had their heads crushed in and so the police are going like, what it's going on here, you know, and turns out that there's this guy who was is this so strange? He was a heroin at His name was Benjamin Franklin Levin's and he was hanging out with this other guy and they were drinking, you know, like raw alcohol and trying to score heroin and stuff, and they were just loud in bars, and they went to a fortune teller and asked if they were going to get caught, and a couple of people are probably called, you know, but.
Speaker 6: These guys.
Speaker 1: The cops ended up picking these guys up. And this eleventh guy was a fisherman and a dope beend for amusement, and he admitted right up that he killed that family. And it turned out that one of the Rolls, one of the royal family, lived at that house until recently and they had moved and a new family moved in. He broke into the house because he wanted to kill them, so hopefully he wouldn't get caught with his crime or something. Who knows what was going on in his brain, you know, this guy was very chemically dependent, so he broke in his buddy. He told the pointed it out to him and said, it's well, one of those guys lived that was in that murder, you know, and he broke into their house and killed them off five people. And the people in Tampa were various, you know, the Royal family were longtime residents there, and they wanted to lynch the guy, and they went to the jail started throwing bricks and things, but the police had already gotten him like three counties away into another jail, just because they knew this was going to happen. So that three thousand people, like for three nights in a row, kept on barricading the jail throwing bricks. A group of them actually had a big timber of bean and they bashed a hole in the side of the jail and they were met with shotgun pellets and all arrested. So the National guardgets called in and they set up and stuff with machine guns, and somebody in the crowd. No one knows, it's the way it always happens, you know, No one knows who shot first or what happened. But they ended up opening fire and they killed five more people that were just there. Yeah, and one person was just like walking by had nothing to do with what was going on. This guy hit with some bullets, so they ended up getting you know, they they let the leaders go into the jail to see that the guy wasn't there, you know, just to cool everything off because it was going crazy. So yeah, they took him the trial and he was like, oh, they beat the confession out of me and stuff, and he was like found guilty, like right away, is just because of this one guy. It turns out that the reason why he killed in the house in nineteen twenty six is that he went to see the border the person who was just renting a room from them, Charles Anderson. They went to discuss with him about some female jail problem and he ended up smashing him in the hat and he realized that he would be caught, so he just kept quiet until everybody went to bed in the house and there were actually like visitors visiting the teenagers and then there was like a card party happening in the kitchen with Uncle B and he killed them.
Speaker 2: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 2: With family Cannoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 1: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Sludge.
Speaker 6: Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 2: Played the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No purchase necessary.
Speaker 2: If we were bravited by loss, he terms and conditions eighteen less.
Speaker 1: For my reason. Then he killed the other people because he thought that was a relative of them. So because of this one guy, fourteen people died. You write about protesters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about the interesting trial of his cohort Thompson. Would you write that when they drank this ethanol, it looked like this Thompson passed out and he did. He did the carnage himself. Richard did the carnage himself. Now, he was supposed to testify because he admitted to killing in Orlando Benjamin Franklin Levin's admitted to it. What does he do at the trial of Leonard Thompson's when Thompson is facing what the death penalty? Tell us what happens?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they brought in Levin and he told the court that he had committed the murders alone, and Thompson had nothing to do with the crimes, and they had no alternative but to release him. They discharged the guy and he went on with his wife. He's probably pretty lucky guy. You know, he didn't commit the crimes, so I could see. But it's actually almost commendable for person like Levin's to actually save one person's life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's something automoly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh, after the murder. I didn't even include this. This is like really important. After the murder, the first murders, Levins went and signed up on a fishing boat and was like in the golf of Mexico for a whole year. That's why he was gone. He just signed up right away and you know, left town, and you know when you went to look for him, I mean, he finally came back and he opened his mouth. That's one of the craziest I can't really think of anything as crazy as that crime.
Speaker 6: I've got some more in the book here. Let's talk about let's talk about panic in Cicero, Cicero, Illinois and July eleventh, nineteen twenty six, and maybe can help me out with the pronunciation James Christius, and yeah, he was angry and wanted revenge. Tell us about James Christius. Why he was angry and wanted revenge?
Speaker 1: Well, James Christmas was this guy who was working in a manufacturing plant in Chicago, and the owner's son told him to use this one late that everyone knew was unsafe, and so he pertest that he did it anyways, and he lost his finger. It's like I'm training, I have everything marked in my bood.
Speaker 6: But of course that well, I could tell you he lost his left thumb in the industrial accident at work.
Speaker 1: And then the.
Speaker 6: Owner's son, Saul Schwartz, had, like you say, he had insisted did he operate this late? And then after that, you say, he wasn't compensated for his injury whatsoever? And then with his lump thumb missing and his hand bandaged, what was his fate in terms of trying to find work and what was his uh inevitable fate as a result.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he wasn't even compensated. He was fired for losing his thumb, and uh so he uh just ended up becoming homeless, sleeping in parks and freebag motels. And he met this guy named Thomas mcwing. Now he said later in his trial that he wanted to rob to get money to get a good attorney so he could see his former boss. But you know, these these guys were both drug addicts too. You know, a lot of people don't think about it, but you know, there was a lot of people were doing heroin and speed and cocaine and crazy stuff like that, and so these guys that's kind of all they did. They he sent away, so he met this Thomas mcwing guy, who was not much better than crisis. They ordered a mail ordered gun. They got it like in a week, and they went out and robbed some people, like I'm almost right away. They got ruby wing and twenty eight bucks, which wasn't that bad of a score. The next day, just before midnight, the flag down a cab and this guy named Legwig Rose was the driver, and they wouldn't really give him an address to go to. When he finally said, hey, you know, I got to know where I'm going, poked a gun in the back of his head and then stopped. They took his uniform, tied him up with snow tire chains and stuff, and took his cash box and the weird thing is like the Terror band it's in San Francisco did the same thing where they got a cab driver and they got us clothes and stuff and then they shot and killed him. So I guess it's always been bad, hard time to be a cab driver. So these guys started driving around looking for somebody to wrap. Just after midnight, they saw nineteen year old Mary Blaine who worked in the offices of Cracker Jacks, and she was with her her kind of suitor, Frederick Hyne, who was like the church seeing church, Sunday school and stuff like that. And they belonged the Saint Church in Cicero, Cicero right cro that's where El Capone had his headquarters too. It was completely bought by the mobsters and things. So they're sitting in front of her house. They just got back from like a church service or something. They were doing something at their church and mcwayne and Christmas pulls up and they jump out wanted money and they hin had the collection money from their evening meeting, and they shot him in the had this boom and then they shot Marie, which was like dead right in the head, both of them, just headshots. They took the money jump out in the cab and rode off, and Rose was still tied up. The candy was still in the back seat and he heard all this. They started driving fast, and he kicked the door open somehow and managed to fall out of the cab. So the bandits stopped and they just got out and shot him dead right there, so that there was three people dead in this little little problems. They ended up wrecking their car and uh and uh mcween got caught in his pin and the cops took him to the jail, to Cook County Jail, and on the way they stopped at the Morgue where where Marie was just dropped off on this lab you know, in a big hole in her forehead, and the guy totally just cracked, just cracked and said everything he knew and but you know, he only knew crisis as Eddie and uh, you know he didn't know he went us for another name too. Uh. So everyone's looking for the craze, this guy, and it turns out he was hiding on a roof of this apartment building. It's still there too. The whole neighborhood is really attacked. It's it's actually quite fascinating, and he hung out out of the roof next to like the you know, gable thing or something, and he kind of bothered some of the tenants asking for food and stuff. They're kind of wondering, in what the what's this guy coming around the apartments for. So later in the day, the two people that lived in the building, they noticed the trap door of the roof was open and they went up there and it was, uh, it's where he was hiding out. They found the roses chauffeur cap and coat watch, the ruby ring from the earlier robbery. Yeah, and they found the glove with the left fund was stuck with paper because you know, this guy didn't have as they had a bunch of scribble and stuff. They ended up getting them, getting them down from there. But yeah, it was you know, kind of really frightening by the people that lived there that they realized that there's this multi killer that was just like on the roof, you know, a real urban, real urban area, you know, it was like real apartments, just you know, wall a wall up and down the street. So yeah, both of those guys got the death sentence, and uh, we're hung at the scaffolds of Pilcock counting jail. And the weird thing about it, it was kind of funny thing about it is that you know they had in the papers they had about the execution, they had a sidebar about the executioner because it was his last execution. He was the jails plumber. And he said, I'm sixty years old. I've had enough of this job. I'm going out to California to take a rest. That was a sixty his sixty fifth execution.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about too, and continue with that story and that he had he say, a semi literate a notebook where he left I guess a suicide note. But it was very interesting, sort of said goodbye everyone. Everybody, not all my fault, it was their own faults. I wish I'd died myself instead. He said, never be peace on earth. Too many hogs. Goodbye old Earth. So yeah, he had left something behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know this is a strange thing also about what in nineteen twenty six is that all these people left their big letters behind and you know, big notes. There's like just a minister in Montana who was basically he had his life ruined by area politicians, so he shot the rest of his family and he wrote like these five hundred word letters, you know, to make concerns and things, and another ones did too, one of if they were less more literate back then, like to kill.
Speaker 6: Her obviously, as we'll see, Yeah, that'll be the next up, for sure, we'll discuss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you talk about that? Go ahead, sorry, go ahead, No, we were just saying the same thing about being more literate bigs then or go ahead. I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I just I just want to mention they that they both received a death sentence and they were scheduled to be hanged on New Year's Eve nineteen twenty six, and they were hung that day. As you're right, oh, oh.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, Yeah, they were in New Year's Eve. Yeah, tell you I think you know, you think back then in people have movies to watch, you know, you had to leave your house to go see it.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 1: Anything you had was like the radio that you could play, or a player piano or something like that. A lot of people knew how to play piano, and they would buy sheet music, just like people would buy records or do downloads now. You know, they went to hear in the latest song, they'd go buy it and then they'd play it. There's always people could cite read and they wrote very flowery letters about things.
Speaker 6: M Well, there's a limited form of communication, and so obviously, just like today, maybe we're using short forms and emojis and things to express, but we're still communicating in the popular mode of the time. And so if we're going to try to impress somebody with a profile on a dating site or a profile on Facebook, we would put our best photo forward, and we put our our best thoughts forward. Are our best description of ourselves. So again again probably flowery description of ourselves and our potential love for somebody else. And just like as we see in the nineteen twenty six that despite the flowery wording that there was a very murderous time as well, we're going to use this as an opportunity, David to stop for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is Native at Native. We create safe, simple, effective products that people use in the bathroom every day. We create products with trusted ingredients and trusted performance. Not convinced check out the eight thousand five star reviews from our customers. Formulated without aluminium, parabens and tulk filled with ingredients found in nature, such as coconut oil which is anti microbial, Shaye butter moisturizer and emollient, and tapioca starch which absorbs wetness. No animal testing, free shipping and returns. It works, don't hold back. Native can hang with your workout, busy, mum life, or sixteen hour day. We have over eight thousand and five star reviews. Check out us out in Today's show, Women's Health, l Good Morning America, Pop Sugar, Nylon, Hello, Giggles, and more. Less is more with Native. We have fewer, simpler ingredients, so you know everything that's in our deodorant. A Luna may be linked to some serious health ramifications. Although Native is priced at a slight premium when compared to conventional deodorance, it is safe and effective. Native comes in a wide variety of enticing scents for men and women. Plus we release new, limited editions seasonal scents throughout the year. We also offer an unscented formula and baking soda free formula for those with sensitivities. Classic deodorant cents include coconut and vanilla. Most popular scent lavender and rose, cucumber and mint, and eucalypti and mint. No risk to try. We offer free returns and exchanges in the US. Subscribe and save seventeen percent, save two dollars per stick, and have Native conveniently delivered to your door every one, two, three or four months. I tried the lavender and Rose deodorant. I really liked it. It was not sticky at all. It was a real clean application, and I gotta say, smelt great and was very very effective. For twenty percent off your first purchase, visit nativedeodorant dot com and use promo code true Murder during checkout. For twenty percent off your first purchase, visit Nativedeodorant dot com and use promo code true Murder during checkout. That's Native, now, David, we were last talking about and you just alluded to one of the most fascinating stories in this collection of fascinating stories, and that is the Phantom Killer. Willard Carson born in nine eighteen oh two, and this takes place and he was born in Liberty, Indiana on a farm, and his parents, Clinton and Minnie Carson, which are very important to this story and tell us a little bit about Willard Carson and his life and what happens.
Speaker 3: Okay, Round two, name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumba casino to chum. That's right, chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 4: Um chumbacasino dot.
Speaker 3: Com eighty plusters conditions of Blue website retails well.
Speaker 1: Willard Carson was you almost have to say it was like a proto beatnik born, like said in nineteen oh two. And Liberty, Indiana is pretty close to the Ohio border. This whole chapter takes place between that small area, probably only fifty miles square between the two states. So Willard his parents were successful farmers. His father actually sold out in his early fifties and moved to a big house in town. But Willard he was he liked gloss interest in school, dropped out in eash grade, and he left home and he lived out in the woods around this area and a small town. There's only a thousand people there. It's all just you know, cornfields and the great Midwest. You know. He met his own camp and went to the library and checked out books of you know, existential literature and dime novels. He just read all the time. So he in trouble every now and then, and his parents would bail him out. You know, he was kind of a you know, they gave him money all the time, and he was kind of a spoiled kid. He only had an older sister, so he living out rough in a forest camp and he'd drink and read books and hang out in the pool hall. And you know, of course, in a small town like that, they actually had a police force, which is kind of hard to believe a town a thousand people. This officer started giving him some grief in the pool hall for being public intoxicated, and Willard pulled out a gun and fired at a deputy. Didn't hit him or anything, but he just took off and he just disappeared. And that's a trait that will follow him throughout his life. This guy would just vanish. He was like a phantom. And he must have been a really likable guy because he had a lot of friends who helped him throughout this long, weird career, and he had a thing for the late he's too, evidently, because he had a girlfriend who was a nineteen year old married mother too, and he was glad as quick, and she had gotten him out of town, took him to like another town's got him out of train and got him out of there, and he was just hanging out until he came down, and he was hoping his father was gonna get a good layer and they would just kind of give him a fine or something. So he's living like twenty feet he had like a treehouse twenty feet up in the air in this tree and had all kinds of all kinds of you know, comforts there. He was really mad that is well, he needed money. He came to his brother in law's place on his farm and asked for money. And he's like having money to after after the harvest. You know, this is in July. So he was he was furious that his parents didn't help him out. So on the night of August third, nineteen twenty six, and August third is my wife's birthday. And there's a lot of murders happened on that day for some reason. And I always see that it's like, yeah, that's my wife's birthday, and it's like but a lot of them make sure. In this book, I think there's like three that happened on that day. So about four in the morning, he used the ladder, climbed up stairs on the roof, got into his parents' bedroom, and as he's climbing in through the window, he tripped over a sewing machine and woke up his parents. And his father, Clinton sat up in bed, and Willard shot him four times with a thirty eight caliber revolver. One of them hit him in the face, one of his hands in the third in the chest, and then he put the barrow up to his father's forehead and fired one more time. Yeah, and so his mother, well this has happened, and she jumped out the window and broke her back and stuff that she got out of there. He stole his father's car. And after this man he never stops. And you know, the cops always thought that, you know, they were always watching to see if he was going to come back into town and stuff. But you know, he had a lot of friends that helped him out. The cops kicked down the doors of all his friends.
Speaker 5: And things and couldn't find out anything to happen. So, uh, in November, Yeah, in November, he went to his brother's.
Speaker 1: House again, tried to get money and he called the cops and they sent up airplanes and they couldn't find them. So a year later, he's in Kocomo, Indiana, and he's written a room from this fifty year old guy named Alonzo Whalen and he was using the name Edgar Dixon. And he was there with his wife and his kid. He got to move fast. Yeah, so this guy is landlord can get suspicious of him because you know, he's like, this guy just reads books and stuff. And I guess that was weird net or something. But he went and told the police, and so the police came out over there with soldiers from the Indian International Guard and he was gone. And they found his wife, Irene, this kid, and she didn't know. She met him in November nineteen twenty six in Indianapolis and got married to him. She always knew him, this Edgard Dixon. She had no idea that he was this wanted murderer Willard Carson. So about a year later, May third, nineteen twenty nine, Alonzo, his old landlord that squealed on him, was sitting in his chair by his window after dinner, chatting with his wife, and Carson had a double barrel shotgun and blew his hat off through the window disappeared, So he's got this vengeance thing going. So they were like, what what the hell, you know. So, like another year in nineteen twenty nine, this town called College Corner, which is on the border of Indiana and Ohio. It's a little town. It's like five hundred people, and they had their own police officer. He was just a merchant cop who'd walk around at night make sure the doors were locked and no one was stealing from anything like that. And he was found dead in the morning and laying in the alley and he had come across Willard somehow, and Willard shot him. And it was kind of weird, is because it happened right where the border is, and it was like his gun was like in Ohio and his body was in Indiana. And there was all kinds of arguments about that went out and out of the paper and stuff. But you know, this is like a small town. It was only eight miles from Liberty too. So this Carson guy, he turns into like the Bogeyman in the Midwest. You know, it's like, oh, he's going to get you. So then okay, So years go by. It's in nineteen thirty five and Anderson, Indiana officer Frank Letty, he gets called that there's a suspicious vehicle idling with its lights on in this quiet neighborhood. It's just just a little town, you know, and there's an island there. For a couple of hours. Of course, he was with a woman. So so the cop goes up and Willard jumps out and shoots him four times in the chest, just kills him right there. And you know, this is a small town. The cop gets killed, it's like a big deal. So, you know, they tried to shake everybody down this woman that was suspected of being in the vehicle Wooden talk, and you know, they never got it. In the meantime, you know, his mother died and stuff, and he's supposed to get you know, inherit a bunch of money, so the cops were He would also send postcards to different police departments taunting them that you know that they'll never get of and things like that, which is like really something. So by nineteen thirty nine, is sister and the police over there in Liberty were wondering they haven't heard from mint awhile, so they made up a new reward and they sent out, you know, wanted posters to all different police departments all over the place. So nineteen forty one in July, Iawak County share Frank van Etta and this is a Michigan the west coast of Michigan on Lake Here on a very beautiful area of beautiful beaches, and you know it's kind of a vacation area for people from Chicago. These stamp ships that would go from Milwaukee and Chicago over to Grand Haven in that area. You know, it was that popular. So the chiefs looking through and he sees the picture and he goes, hey, that looks like this vagrant guy that we found washed up on the beach in nineteen thirty nine. They knew him as Lloyd Keene, and they found them on the beach in August. It was August. I heard about things, so I'll get third again. He was in the swimming trunks and he you know, the Lake Michigan undertoes are notorious. They'll just take out and just drown you and then dump you on the shore. A couple of days later, so they found him and they just thought, well, you know, bury him in a pauper's grave. And he realized that that was that guy. So he contacted the police back in Indiana and his sister and he exhumed his body and they identified him from a chip tooth and a bullet scar and he had a missing rate pinky finger and that's another thing, missing digits and it's mainteen twenty six feet. So yeah, it turned out that that was him, and he had died of drowning sixteen years after he had murdered his father. Yeah, and he had killed two police officers and you know, that terrifying people for years, and Lake Michigan got him and he kept doing it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like you say, it wasn't like it wasn't for Lake Michigan's undertow that prevented him from more killing. Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I had another story too about this guy in him in Indiana, which was the area where my mother is from a lot of my family and uh he uh, a social worker came because this guy just pretty much just quit working and he had nine kids and and uh no furniture and stuff. Social workers stopped by. He ended up shooting her in the head and he ran off and they never found them. The uh the son said they about years later, he heard that he was living in a farm in Michigan. He went up and saw and a couple of years later he went back and the farm and burnt down. And the neighbors said, yeah, he just moved away after that happened. That's another guy that just got away with it.
Speaker 6: M interesting. We're going to talk about one more story here, and this is again a very bizarre one, but much different than the other stories. And it's titled Like a Girl who Married Dear old Dad. This is in Springfield, Massachusetts, and a person named Richard Burse and you always said he was an oddball. He's twenty six years old, living with his divorced mother Eda and his father Fred Verse. They had had a amicable divorce and he's a county treasurer for Hampton County. Tell us about life with Richard Burse and what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was another only child. He was, you know, spoiled, rout and about things. He had a degree in the mechanical engineering Northwestern University in nineteen twenty four. He's a pretty young guy and he was a nice guy, but he had an explosive temper. So he had added the Springfield gas Light Company and he quit it because he thought he could make more money with his electrical engineering degree or mechanical engineering degree someplace else. Instead of looking for a job first, he just quit it. I guess that's how good the economy was that, you know, it was like you could just quit your job and go get another one. But he was he was kind of pummed about what he did, and his parents sent him out of vacation. Like I said, he was pretty spoiled. The homes where he lived are all still there too. So he went to the beach out in Saybrook, Connecticut, and for a two week vacation. He met this woman, Marie Wilson. She was from Springfield, Tissues twenty one, and they fell madly in love and they wanted to get married, like right away in things. So they're back in Springfield, and you know, they went a date and stuff, and she told him when he was dropping her off that she had a boyfriend when she met him, but she wrote him a Dear Johnt letter and broke up with him because she wanted to be with d And Richard just freaked out, just just totally lost it, you know, unreasonably, you know, And he took Marie home and went back home to his home he lived with his mother, which that home is for sale. When I was ready to this book.
Speaker 6: Just kind of still there.
Speaker 1: So about six point thirty in the morning the next day, neighbors hearted big commotion in the house and they actually called the police. Cops came, didn't see anything until they left, and they got called again saying there was more sounds. So the cops came and kicked down the house and what they found was Richard burse covered in his mother's blood, cradling her naked body on the int intestine laden gold covered kitchen floor. He had suffocated her, revived her, and had suffocated her again until she died, and then using his bare hands, he pulled out her eye balls and her internal organs, completing her heart. He did not use a knife, he used his bare hands.
Speaker 6: Incredible.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's just amazingly horrible. And uh, he was all historical and said to the cops, I did it because I love her her. My love was intense, and that's why he mutilated her to clean her soul from sin. So, you know, it was just horrible. And his girlfriend Marie was just in shock. She said that he told her that when they get married, he wanted to live with his mother, and she like laughed it off because she said, you know, the house gun gave her creeps and stuff, and she didn't want to live with her mother in law. You know, the young kids, they're in the early chores, you know.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: He's murthered to the murder, and uh you know. Of course his father, you know, helped him with his uh well with his legal seas and stuff, and he ended up getting put in Bridgewater State Hospital, which I guess is putting notorious at the time. He was there for twenty two years and he was in isolation the entire time. So his father pulled as much strings as he could got him into a nicer hospital, and then eventually got him pardoned from the governor and he brought him home, but he died just a few weeks later. His father died just after he brought his son back home from the insane ASAUBM And so for six months he stayed at the house at ten seventy five Boston Road for about six months, and then he checked himself back out. When he was in the nicer mental hospital, they would let him out he could walk around in town and things like that, but he ended up living at age fifty nine, died of a heart attack on my birthday. I was a year old on April twenty eight, thineteen two night he was still a voluntary patient there. But well, what would make this guy, I know, what would make this guy? What could be so bad? And how badly did he have to really click to do that? You know, with the world as his oyster at.
Speaker 6: That point too, Well, obviously he was insane. All his actions after that date obviously a simple I mean, obviously he was jealous, and a lot of people have experienced those feelings. But he went home and did some bizarre right, Like I say, I mean, I've heard of people taking out organs out of a body, but they used a knife. I mean they weren't surgeons, and not shocking enough, but to somebody to rip organs out of a body with their bare hands, again, it's it does point to obvious insanity.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, certainly I'd never heard of that.
Speaker 6: No, No, that's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even in you know Aborigine stories, you know Captain Cook and all those things, or American Indians and all that, I never heard of anything like that.
Speaker 6: Well, what I find is what I found is doing this for so many years and reading is that the psychopathic killer or the insane killer both seem to have this extraordinary almost superhuman strength and endurance and stamina to do what they're doing, to be able to do what they're doing, incredible amount of effort and strength. This story demonstrates even more, you know, strength to be able to do something like and anger and yeah, so it's it is a horrifying story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't get any stranger than that, you know, you know, at the same time in nineteen twenty six, there was not only was there a lot of like the gangster wars happening, you know, that was all over the place. I mean, this book could have been the size of a you know, nineteen eighty LA phone book if I would have really gone through, I just picked out the ones that weren't like mob related or you know, just like the average person that did something like that, because you know, at the same time that ape guy was running around Canada in America killing middle aged landladies. You'd go in and see about renting a room, and he'd kill these landladies and rape them after death and stuff like that. And at the same time that was happening nineteen twenty six was just crazy. The first day in nineteen twenty six at the Rose Bull Parade, the bleachers fell and injured like one hundred people and killed one person. You know, it was just like in August, three hundred people died of alcohol poisoning in New York City. Can you imagine if that happened now? I mean, that's like, you know, drinking tainted booze end up on Lake Ontario in outside of Buffalo, Like fifteen people got pulled out by an undertow and drowned. And a bunch of them were like a bunch of high school kids that were all there together, and others were just people just having a good time. But this weird undertow happened and pulled everybody out, drowned all these people. Yeah, it was just a very odd year.
Speaker 6: Could you tell us a little bit about a few of the other just a basic outline of a couple of the other stories in your book, like Just a Good Old Boy, which is another fascinating story. Tell us about this one a little bit on the outline of it, and a couple of the other ones that you include in this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, George Jefferson Hassel was like the psychopathic guy, just you know, one of those guys that kind of he has a good old boy and got along with everybody and was always just like a manual labor. He found out his brother died got kicked by mule, so he went to his farm and ended up marrying his wife, and he inherited like six kids. And the same time, there's just all these weird things that happened. Like his brother's oldest daughter. He met her in California once, ended up having an ascious affair with her and had a kid with her, and she showed up at the ranch and things kind of came to a head, and his wife found out he was really angry. He was drinking one night and she got mad about that, and he killed everybody's family and took a couple of days to do it. As people came into the house, he told told everybody that they were moving, like they already moved to Oklahoma, and he was selling their stuff while he's having his auction wagon went over We're he buried them and sunk into it and they found all the bodies right there. So the sheriff just happened to be there when it happened. So after the arrest of this guy, they started finding out all these people that he had married and things like that, and it turned out that he had had a family in nineteen eighteen in Whittier, California, and we adopted children. And his wife he said he was going to join the army. She said, you're crazy, you're like forty years old. And he killed them and buried them on their floor too. So you get this like sheriff from Texas called in La sheriffs saying, you know, hey, there's this house. You know they had like five bodies and they were like, yeah, right, And they went and investigated and there were like five bodies down there too. And he loved to talk to the press. He was just like a horrible, horrible person. One of the weirdest things I thought was in Nebraska, not too far out from Omaha, there were abandoned Gypsies that were horse traders, and weird, weird thing happened is this woman, uh the gypsy father his wife died and his son married this woman, but she he married her, but it was really his father, Frank Mason's girlfriend, and so they were you know, he was married to his son. But they were like running out together hotel rooms and omaha. And she was buying the latest fashions and bobbing her hair and stuff. And while she was getting her hair bobbed in a in a barber shop. And this is in this little town called Leah, Nebraska. It's still only like five hundred people, another one of his sons walked in and shot her in the hat and said that, you know, he got rid of her silely and stuff. And this is just really strange because his son that Mary had married her. Her name was Spaine Schaeffer. He quit the gypsy family and you know, none of them had education. They could they were all literate and stuff. And he was only like eighteen years old. He completely left his family and became a farmer and got an education and stuff. But you know, you don't think of flappers or gypsies in Rule Nebraska. And that's a lot of the thing you know that you know, people say, like, you know, they think they'd like to think that when women's got the rights to marry and think or to vote and stuff, that all kind of happened slowly, but it didn't like women just kicked off their you know their courses and says, screw that man, I'm having fun. You know, there's another guy in Michigan who this white supremist. He was like the leader of the ku klutz Klan in Miskegan County in Michigan. Didn't like this guy who who had just one like road commissioner something like that. And uh so this guy, the road commissioner guy had like a bar restaurant type place, no resort thing on the lake, real nice. His daughter was getting married and they were getting all these packages and letters from everywhere, and he was he gave him that package to open. He said, oh, it's got to be for you, you know, it's just you know, package, and it blew up. It turned out that that that pansman guy had made a bomb and meant for the road commissioner guy to explode. Instead he killed his daughter and her husband they were getting married like the next day, and killed and killed the road commissioner. And he got caught right away because they he had used the postage that was like metered, and the male guy remembers it and he hit Part of one of his jobs was to blow up stumps, and Michigan was full of stumps because it was they cut down trees and by then they went to clear the land and so he knew about explosives. But they found the triggering device from the old rifle. That was that the part fit perfectly that was in the bomb. I think that part had like went into the man was they found it inside of this part of the stratone or something. But it was part of the triggering device. But you know, you got this little rural town in Michigan and you know, bomb blows up, basically blows up the whole place, you know, just strange. Another one was this this reacher out in Montana, like outside of Yellowstone and he killed his like eighteen year old girlfriend and tried to make it seem that she was trained to kill him and stuff. You know, this guy was like forty five and she was just like eighteen and just this crazy, you know thing of lies. And you know, funny thing is that he was convicted immediately because the jury of his peers were like ranchers, farmers, miners, cowboys. It's like, you know, they didn't take any kind of malonely about.
Speaker 6: It, you know, right, you have. Sorry, I just wanted to mention before we have no more time to to see all of the chapters in the book. The story is the farmer in the Dell, I love a man in uniform, a moron with a gun, pocket full of bullets like a hole in the head, the end of the Frontier, the guy who Never got a break, Dumkoff a Michigan mail bomb. So Mike Toddler is an axe murderer, incest in Seattle, urged for overkill, three bullets for her husband, panic and cicero spotty excuse, Oh my Papa, the phantom killer. He auto stayed home like a girl that married. Dear old Dad, really bad Dad, Darnold Sock's Jitney's, Bill's Cafe, and the Cozy Cafe. Oh, we got a bunch. More So, there's numerous stories in here, all of them in the same ilk as this incredible sensational stories of nineteen twenty six and the year that Americans went berserk, even more so than any other time in history. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about nineteen twenty six homicide in America. For those that might want to check out other work of yours, and how can they get a copy of Homicide in America.
Speaker 1: Where do they go through Amazon? I put it out through Amazon, so it's on my author page David Colchik's author page on Amazon. I had my five other books on there, and that's where you can get it right now.
Speaker 6: Well, that's great. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about nineteen twenty six Homicide in America. A fascinating, fascinating collection, David. Thank you very much, David Kolchik for this interview. You have a great evening.
Speaker 1: Us out