Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls basketball fans, San Antonio Spurs fans, Welcome to another edition of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast with your boy, a fan of the Black and Silver of forty years, a former stand up comedian and actor, and a heck of a YMCA basketball coach.
Speaker 2: I love that I know you do. Here he is leading the point, your host, my host, our host, Kay Dizzle.
Speaker 1: What an introduction befitting of the NBA playoffs and the NBA Finals right around us. Can you believe this, Spurs fans? The NBA season is almost completely at a complete halt. Of course, it finished for us a couple months ago, but we've been having fun here on the show with the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast. Thank you guys for following us over the last couple months. We've been having some fun. Big shout out to you guys for you seventeen countries that are listening to us worldwide. We have France, Australia, Germany, now Brazil, Canada and a good old United States. Spurs fans are coming out all over and we've got a big show for you here today. Make sure you stick around like love and subscribe also to our social media outlets like YouTube. Right now, we have some really fun videos on YouTube. We do a lot of little fun shorts on there, making fun of the NBA, talking about trades, talking about the Spurs, talking about you fans, and of course talking about yours truly as well. No topics off limits, especially here on the San Antonio Spurs Weekly podcast and the topic this week, we're going to continue to talk about some of these trade rumors, and I'm not gonna call them out landish trade rumors because they're starting to look like they could really happen. Last week we talked about the Gianas thing where if San Antonio kind of unloaded the boat, this would possibly happen here in San Antonio. But I also talked to a guy in Milwaukee about where he is really going to go. We're not going to share that on this episode. Talk about baiting you in and throwing you back out into the ocean, right. We'll talk about that on a later show as well. Where Giannis really could be going other than San Antonio. But there's some interesting names being thrown out there in the trade world. We'll talk about one or two of them on the show today. We're going to talk a little bit of the NBA playoff action now. Of course, when we're recording this show on a Monday, it is pre recorded, And I just want you guys to know that we don't know all the information when it comes to who wins in the playoffs. Right now, we just watched Game five of the Eastern Conference Finals, where the New York Knicks have now closed the gap the three. We'll talk about that a little bit here in a moment. And who's the better opponent for Oklahoma City when it comes to the NBA Finals? Is Oklahoma City just gonna run Rockshaw and take whatever team? Kind of looks that way? And I know Spurs fans, we don't like saying that. I know, I know, And today you're really not gonna like the show. Hey listen, no topics off limits. Remember we may be Homers, but we got to remember where we came from. Today on the show, we're gonna have a little bit of fun too. Taking a look at what the Internet says about the top fifteen players in NBA history for the San Antonio Spurs. Do you believe that some of these should be on the list? Off the list? Who's on your list? You can actually comment with us on YouTube. You can go to SA Spurs Weekly WKD comment on any of those videos and let us know who your top fifteen are. We'll probably have a new short up very shortly, no pun intended, and we'll love to have your guys camaraderie in that section. We're also going to talk about the best San Antonio Spurs team of NBA all time, what that never made it to the NBA finals. We're gonna talk about the best Spurs team of all time that never made it to the NBA finals. Spurs fans, do you know who that is? I'm gonna I'm gonna let I'm gonna let you let that kind of marinate right there for you and yours before we get into the show. But we got a lot to get to here today. We're gonna try to make this a quick, painless and kind of have that really nice flow of offense going here today. But let's talk a little bit about the NBA playoffs. Currently, the New York Knicks have closed that gap to three games to two. It looked like the Indiana Pacers were gonna run away with this. We predicted the Pacers to win in seven games. And I guarantee you after the other night's loss in New York, Indiana does not want to go back to New York for Game seven. They do not want to go back to New York. That let's call them the fifteenth or sixteenth man. Those fans in New York are brutal, baby, and they came out and so did the Knicks. So where does this leave Indiana. Their backs are against the wall. They need to win game six. They need to win Game six. But let's talk about NBA conspiracies. Everybody's saying the league is rigged right, Well, now we want to extend the NBA playoffs just a little bit more and get a little bit more AD revenue. Let's kind of go back on the script here. A lot of you guys are saying, where the New York Knicks, of course, are going to.
Speaker 3: Win Game six. It's gotta go game seven so.
Speaker 1: Everybody can watch. We haven't had a interesting, fun filled game seven throughout any of these playoffs. Let's be honest, Oklahoma City has run Rockshoff all over everybody. Oklahoma City right now, Spurs fans, I know you hate, this is definitely the best team in the NBA, and one of the best I've seen in a long time. They have two thirty point plus scores a night, and that is tough to beat. And that's what the Spurs are trying to go for here in San Antonio. Wemby could be that guy. Who's the next guy who's another twenty to thirty point scorer for the Spurs. We're still trying to find that, and that's why we're so excited here in the city. And I believe we got to trust the process. Oklahoma City did. Oklahoma City trusted the process. Their general management staff went out there and made some trades, made some amazing deals, and now they're sitting pretty for many, many years to come. So that kind of leads to our trade talk here. In a few moments, do we go out and just grab somebody because we want to be in contention right now. We talk about this every week, and I just kind of feel like we're beating a dead horse. All of us San Antonio Spurs fan podcasters are doing this. I'm a big believer in trusting the process.
Speaker 2: Us.
Speaker 1: Let's make the playoffs next year, Let's get a five or four seed, Let's shock somebody in the first round of the playoffs. But I believe your next dynasty right now is okay. See question is can they hold this team together next year? I was telling my son, you tend to see this in sports with a lot of young players these days, where you get your ring early and now it's time to go make your money. What if you get hurt in the offseason. What if you get hurt in practice and you lose that contract, and now you know, you become somebody like Greg Odin in the past, where you're the number one pick in the NBA draft, you get hurt and you lose.
Speaker 3: All that money.
Speaker 1: You want to set your family up for many, many years to come right. So these younger players are doing just that. They're starting to go to greener pastors after they wing that win that golden ring. So can Oklahoma City keep it together? A lot of great storylines leading up to next year and we ain't even done with this year. That leads me to the Knicks and Pacers. What team can contend with OKC? OKC runs pretty deep on their bench, They've got a really good defense, Alex Caruso has been a beast, and Alex Caruso might be one of those key parts too. You see I win a ring, I'll go elsewhere. And he's a great player to kind of add to teams that need a specialty player like him. He knows his worth. He's been with many teams. He could be one of those elite players in the NBA if he wanted to, but he's becoming one of those. He reminds me of a Bruce Bowen type, somebody that could score the ball, play defense, and lead the team while certain players are sitting the bench and getting their breath. Okac seems to have it together. They run very deep with both Jalen, both Williams, guys Sga Caruso, Chet, Holmgren and Chets really haven't had a great playoff run. Chet may grab his ring and may get traded. It's just an interesting scenario, Okac. Are they going to be a one hit wonder? Are there going to be a dynasty? I think they're in a really good position.
Speaker 3: That's like the Spurs. The Spurs look like.
Speaker 1: A young OKC team and Spurs fans kind of rest on that.
Speaker 3: Rest on that.
Speaker 1: Now, who matches up.
Speaker 3: With Oka se New York.
Speaker 1: As Charles Barkley said, He said the Knicks will go as far as only as Jalen Brunson can go. Jalen Brunson gets forty to fifty at night, it's over Nick's will win. But the moment he hits thirty or less, who else is scoring. Michael Bridges has had a eh ah playoff after what he did to the Spurs on Christmas Day, you think he would be the breakout player. You would think that a player that was traded for five draft picks from the Brooklyn Nets. That's a pretty that's a pretty big trade that you would think you would be more of a load carrier on that team. I'm not impressed with cat guys. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm a cat hater. I don't know. You know, I'll take an antoine car dog any day. You see what I did there?
Speaker 3: Cat and dog. Yeah, sometimes we do that on the show.
Speaker 1: Dad Jokes galore. But Carl Anthony Towns is the softest.
Speaker 3: Player of the NBA.
Speaker 1: Every time he goes up for a shot or goes through the lane, he wants a foul. Dude, you're seven foot something almost three hundred pounds. Shut up, just stop, just stop stop being zesty. As the kids today would say, stop. Then you see people complain like a like a Josh Hart. This guy is a knit and gritty guy. He kind of reminds me of the Alex Caruso, and I like what the Knicks did by bringing him off the bench.
Speaker 3: Now he's a spark plug.
Speaker 1: But stop crying for every call, stop and just play the damn game. If you played the game that your coach put before you and you stuck to that game plan, I guarantee you won't have to worry about the refs or anybody else. It's basic coaching. It's one oh one basketball play. But because they start getting these egos, they think that they can kind of push the narrative a little bit. Who else is going to do it for the Knicks? Say it is Brunson and Cat and they have an amazing NBA Finals. Let's just say that, who's your third or fourth guy to really hold down the four? The Knicks bench is starting to play decent. When Brunson goes to the bench, Kat goes to the bench, it seems like the the bench is like, all right, we need to step this up now. But is it little too late for New York? Say Indiana makes the NBA Finals, same kind of situation, We saw it with Halliburton in game four, he was a monster triple double, thirty plus points, seventeen I believe assists no turnovers. That's putting you in legend status there. And this dude's still young, twenty four to twenty five years old. But then when you come back into game five and give us what you gave us, that is not super star potential, that's just star potential. You're not in that upper echelon just yet. Will this be fuel to fire? And like I said, when we do this show, we are recording it early. Indiana may be advancing to the finals already, but Indiana needs to win game six, Game seven in New York. Man, oh man, get your popcorn ready if that has happened or will happen. But who's gonna produce for Indiana outside of Haliburt Siakam? Siakam's another one of those players up and down. You would have thought it would have been somebody like nim Hard or Miles Turner. But Miles Turner's been that player his whole career. One night it's twenty five points, one night it's seventeen. He gets in foul trouble. Indiana's got a cast to characters. The one thing I told my son there usually is one player that can carry that team every night. The disappointment has been Mathrin. Mathren has been a disappointment. Every time he gets the ball too.
Speaker 3: He thinks he's fouled.
Speaker 1: Just just play the damn game. So who favors against Okac? I would love to see an sea, but they's see OKAC winging five. I would love to see Indiana coach because the fact they're the underdog. They have been there in all it's their time. They've lost two Eastern Conference finals. It's their time to at least get to that next step. And in Halliburton's young career, he could establish himself to being one of the Indiana greats. They lose this year, they come back next year, putting some players around him, maybe a Yanas.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yanas doesn't want to leave the East now. From what we've heard out of Milwaukee sources, very interesting setup to the NBA season. To close out this season and to start next season. I believe it's still Indiana going to the finals versus OKC. And if that's the case, OKC in five Okac.
Speaker 3: Will bring the ring home to Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: City applause for you OKC fans out there taking a listen today. Let's get right into the trade talks here in San Antonio. Let's go trade talks galore here in San Antonio over the last couple of weeks, and we've been trying to be on top of him, and some of those other great podcasters out there as well have been doing the same thing. Like our baseline bums, what's up to you guys out there? TSR Sports on YouTube as well have been doing a great job following up on what's going on here in San Antonio. With the trade talks was hot and heavy with giannasaka Patubo. We found out that Chris Paul will not be re signing with the San Antonio Spurs. We kind of felt that, and if you're a Spurs fan, you saw that at the beginning of the year, signing him to a one year deal, helping out wemby a little bit, helping out some of the crew, and his knowledge was basically paid for for that one year. It's almost like bringing in somebody to your business that knows how to make your business grow and you have them do a bunch of conferences and sit down in a room full of people and you hash out ideas, this is what Chris Paul was hired for. A lot of us get caught up in wanting to see people stick around.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The scary part of this spurs fans, especially in our conference. Right now, it's rumored that Chris Paul is going to go to the Dallas Mavericks. Can you imagine what he's going to do with Cooper Flag? Can you imagine, you know, with Kyrie out right now, he's a perfect piece to that puzzle to kind of keep Dallas in contention until about January or February when Kyrie comes back. So what does that do for Chris Paul? Does he sign another one year contract or does he go back to Charlotte Is the one thing that's being thrown up in the air right now. Whatever happens in Chris Paul's life right now, we really do want to give him a big round of applause as well for what he's done in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: A one year impact.
Speaker 1: Really boosted our morale on the team and also boosted the fans again. Only winning nineteen games in twenty one games and now winning thirty plus this past year. This is a positive and I know what you're taking. No, Chris Paul's going, we ain't gonna do that. Dearon Fox, is there, guys? Deeron Fox was on a subpar King's team his whole career, right around that thirty eight forty win mark. You know, they were pushing playoffs throughout his career, but he didn't have a dominant player like Victor Winmbinama. He didn't have a young core like a Devin Vaselle. And now I know these guys may not be here if there's a big trade about to happen here in San Antonio. But there's so much positive vibes here. I've watched some clips on Dylan Harper. I mean, you even got legends saying he's possibly going to be a Hall of Famer, so stick and stated of the course, I say, But some of the biggest rumors right here. Kevin Durant has now stirred up in the mix here in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Again, I've seen a.
Speaker 1: Lot of your tweets out there, really interesting tweet, and Kevin Durant blasted back on one of the gentlemen not here from San Antonio. But is he a top fifteen player? Spurs fans, not in Spurs organization history if he gets hired. But is he a top fifteen player all time in the NBA? Some people say, well, because he went to five different teams, or if he's going to come here to San Antonio and another team, No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Hold on, let's pump the brakes. Pump the brakes.
Speaker 1: Today's alleged goat for some of you, Lebron James, who's on the mount rushmore. Of course, my eleven year old son brought up something. Lebron James has been with four different teams, Ben with Cleveland twice, twice, LA and Miami. He's been traded four times, and you can't say, oh, Cleveland Cones is one team. No, those are two different teams. He had a different team younger in his career, and then he had the other team with Kyrie, So those are two different teams. Technically, is Lebron not in your top fifteen? Hell, some of y'all continue to argue that he's the goat above Michael, why are we laughing?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't tell where Jordan fans on this show, right, But to be perfectly honest with you, think about that is Kevin Durant your top fifteen? I love Katie. I loved Katie, not just because you know, my name's Katie and I'm older and I had the name first. But I'm not going to copyrite it, you know, Kevin, I'm not going to come after you or anything. But I'd love to have a Katie versus Katie show if you come to San Antonio. I think we could do that here on the podcast as well. You know, you know, hook a white e. That's all I'm asking as well. But it's interesting. Is he top fifteen material in the NBA? How about this one? For a barn burner conspiracy theory? Kevin Durant is Camaro Carmelo Anthony with a few rings. Wh I throw that out there? I want to throw that. I'm not saying that, Kevin. I know you're like, man, I'm listening this guy. I want to come on a show, But now I don't. No, no, no, no no, I'm just I'm starting a conspiracy theory. What do you guys think about that? Is Kevin Durant a Carmelo Anthony with the rings? Carmelo tried to chase the ring went to La Denver New York. He chased because when you get toward the end of your career, that's what you want.
Speaker 3: You want that ring.
Speaker 1: Kevin, I'm sure wants to add another one. I think he sees with san Antonio they possibly could be that next superpower. Can you imagine the knowledge that Wemby would develop having Paul last year and now somebody like Kevin coming in. These are some other rumors, some other rumors for san Antonio right now, they're definitely actively seeking a trade for a wing They want another wing player. We've talked about some of the wing players out there, some of y'all are throwing out there. Jalen Brown, I just don't think his attitude fits san Antonio. Jalen Brown reminds me of another Stephen Jackson. Steven Jackson did win a title with us, though, but his attitude we don't I think would only fit here for like two three years. We'll take a little bit more a look at the trade rumor mill here in weeks to come on the show as well, so make sure you stick around for that. But let's get right into our next segment with the greatest San Antonio Spurs team that never made it.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows, somebody didn't know, somebody didn't know something about it.
Speaker 1: But I won't have now way. So let's go. What was the greatest San Antonio Spurs team that never made the NBA finals? Spurs fans that are really young, I don't know if you know this one, US older fans, This one actually shocked me. I did a little bit of kind of research on this one. We had a great team in the Oklahoma City Thunder actually took us out in the Western Conference Finals in six games. Is this a prelude to what's going to happen with this year's OKC team. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not a prophet.
Speaker 1: I'm just here to give you some fun NBA talk. I'm not here to make predictions. But it's ironic that I kind of said Okcity.
Speaker 3: Is gonna win it all.
Speaker 1: And now we're talking about the team that de thrilled the Spurs. And here, can you name it? On the count of three, maybe you already have on the count of three, three, two and one, the greatest San Antonio Spurs team that never won the NBA title was the twenty fifteen twenty sixteen Spurs. I was shocked at this sixty seven wins that year, and the top that off Spurs fans. They tied the Celtics for the most home wins.
Speaker 3: In the history of the NBA.
Speaker 1: Did you know that forty wins at home? Forty and one at home? The Spurs were in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen. This team had just about every statistical category unlock. This is the only thing that scares me about teams like OKC or a dominant team like the Spurs were. We saw it happen to the Celtics this year. Of course, the Celtics ran into a little bit of an injury issue there as well, so we'll have to take a look at that. The twenty fifteen twenty sixteen Spurs, of course, dominated almost every statistical category for them. Taking a look at their offensive rating, they were fourth out of thirty that year. They were first in defensive rating, only giving up ninety nine points. They were beating teams by almost twelve points a game. That's a lot on average. But they just couldn't really do it on the road. Think about their road wins. You won forty out of sixty seven games, you won twenty seven on the road.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's still not bad.
Speaker 1: Right, you were twenty seven and fourteen, but showed shows in the playoffs that you need to win on the road. And at that time that OKC team was such a dominant team at home as well, and that those fans were just so nasty, kind of like they are now. They're like the New York Knicks of the Western Conference.
Speaker 3: You don't want to play in OKC in a big game.
Speaker 1: Now, the San Antonio Spurs were an excellent team at that time, and they were second in the NBA Western Conference at sixty seven and fifteen, and they had won forty wins at home and of course losing in the Western Conference finals. They swept the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round four to zero, and then they dropped that six game series against the of course, okay, ced thunder. Now, let's compare those stats that I just said to you to last year's team kind of give you an idea of where the Spurs are sitting. Okay, Spurs fans, here comes your reality check, here comes your silver lining.
Speaker 3: All right, so you're ready.
Speaker 1: So we talked about they were first in defensive rating, They were third in the league in offensive rating in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen or twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen. Sorry, now, last year's rating, they were nineteenth in the league in.
Speaker 3: Offense, middle of the pack, not bad.
Speaker 1: The game has changed, I get it, one hundred and fourteen points a game. Defensive rating they were twenty fifth. Even though we had good games at times where we shut teams down, our defense was great. They were twenty fifth in defensive rating and overall net rating at minus three a game. So we were losing close games. We were losing a lot of close games last year with the Spurs, So where does that lead this team coming up this year? We need to be in that mix of what we were like back in the day. I know being first and being third and offensive and defensive rating is tough to do, but look at okc Okac was top five in defense and top five in offense this year. Look where they're at. A dominant team that won sixty plus wins and now in the NBA Finals, find themselves four games away from winning the NBA championship this year. So I wanted to throw that out there, the best team that never made it in Spurs history at twenty fifteen to twenty sixteen, Spurs if you get out of here, I want to take a little bit of a look at the Spurs NBA All time roster. I'm going to give you my favorite players of all time put together our foster here on the San Antonio Spurs Weekly podcast on a future show. So make sure you guys stick around for that one. But according to a lot of sources on the web, you can google this.
Speaker 3: You can put in.
Speaker 1: Great Spurs players of all time right here. Great at San Antonio Spurs roster of all time you can put up on Google. And here's the players. Let's go over them. Agree or disagree. I'm going to agree with almost all of them so far. Tim Duncan of course, David Robinson, George Gervin, Jenobley Parker, Leonard Shawn Elliott, Avery Johnson, Bruce Bowen. Artist Gilmore. We forget about how good artist Gilmore was, especially early in the days playing with Chicago back then as Aba days, he was very, very dominant. Here's one I'm not too sure about. Some of you guys be like, oh, really, I loved him in Portland, but when he came to San Antonio, he just didn't give us what he had in Portland and that's LaMarcus Aldridge. I love LaMarcus as a person.
Speaker 3: U T grad.
Speaker 1: I love it. Mike Mitchell. Mike Mitchell on the list. I loved I grew up watching Mike Mitchell, James Silas, Larry Kenyon, Johnny Moore. One of my favorites. Danny Green of course should be on that list. Robert Rory and Patty Mills absolutely agree with those the ones on the list. I'm not too sure top fifteen, but I'm gonna have to compile my roster and take a look at some of my favorites. Maybe the best Spurs that never made it. There were so many great Spurs that we forget about because we've had so many great talented players now here in San Antonio. Another player that comes to mind, and a lot of people don't put him on the list anymore because of his off court antics and he's in jail of course, saying he's done some bad things outside the court is Alvin Robertson. Alvin Robinson was runner up for Rookie of the Year. He led the league in steals many many seasons. Great defensive player, was a leader on this team for many years. But we tend to cast people to decide that have had problems off the court, which I completely understand. What about Dennis Rodman. Dennis Rodman had a heck of a career here in San Antonio as well. Jazz didn't fit that San Antonio mold, kind of like Jalen Brown we talked about a little bit earlier on the show. But those are your top fifteen NBA Spurs great of all time in our organization, a lot of Spurs talk, a lot of action coming up, a lot of off season trades. We're gonna have to stay on top of all of this just like you do as well. Thank you guys for listening to another episode of the San Antonio Spurs Weekly Podcast on your favorite podcasting platform. Make sure you guys check us out on YouTube and Instagram as well. We appreciate all the followers as of late lately showing your love for the Black and Silver, and remember, no matter what the Spurs do in the off season or what they do next year, let that black and silver blood run through your veins and go Spurs, Go,