Speaker 1: Who's the kidd here? Who's the kidd here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So far this football season, Mondays have been have been pretty fun on the show, and I guess we can try to have some fun today. But for the first time this year, we are starting a week coming off of a loss for Jeff Brohm and the Louisville Cardinals in a game that I still think it might be on its own as far as just the insanely frustrating feeling, but also kind of knowing it's not like that big of a like, you know, it's not as if we learned on Saturday that the team that you know, we think is pretty good, like that they stink. I mean, we're not there. But what a weird feeling. I talked about it on the postgame show, and usually I try to kind of reset do a condensed version of that to start the show Monday. And sometimes there are different feelings, different thoughts that weren't there when I'm reacting to the game. As soon as it ends, like as soon as the clock hit zero, we just turned the mic on and start yapping, And that's our postgame show. And I wouldn't have it any other way. But here we are two days later and I still kind of feel the same, And I cannot think of a different Louisville loss in my lifetime as a fan that I think gave me similar feelings. I mean, there's been worse losses, trust me, but like that was just man that sucked to be in that position, to make so many mistakes and know that if you just maybe didn't make one, or maybe if you got a questionable call to go your way, maybe you end up winning. And when you can say that, I think moving forward, it helps you feel optimistic. But it also to me, it's just a punch to the gut knowing that if you just didn't hurt yourself, probably would have walked out of there with a win. And that's not to take anything away from Notre Dame, because they were able to take advantage of every mistake you made. They made you pay, and that's what good teams are supposed to do. So we'll continue to react to it and then put it in the rear view because you got to bounce back. You've got a game against SMU coming up on Saturday, and that opponent looks a lot different now than they did a few weeks ago. I mean, I think SMU is a pretty good team, and I think louis is a good team too. I think they're deserving favorites. I'm not discouraged by the personnel on this team really at all. There's one area that we need to discuss, and we will, but overall, I still think from a personnel standpoint, as far as the pieces, Louisville's got a chance to be really good. But right now they're about to play a team that if they win, it would easily be their best win of the season. So go do it. How about Mark Stoops and his team? Where the hell did that come from?
Speaker 3: What a win?
Speaker 2: Best win for Kentucky football? Probably like ever, at least in my lifetime. They beat Number six on the road, and they deserve a lot of credit for that. But I can't help but notice, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed this, Like they're not getting as much love as you would expect a team to get for going down to Ole Miss and knocking off Number six and really just bullying their opponent. I mean, they're getting love, trust me. Like it's not like people are saying that they didn't deserve to win. I mean, they won, but it does seem like Ole miss is getting more attention than Kentucky here because it might it might have reminded some people that Lane Kiffin a good coach, no doubt, but like he's not really won anything that ever matters, and there was nothing flukey about what happened in Oxford. I mean, I don't want to do the I told you so thing because that just feels weird as a Louisville fan who you know, wanted to see Kentucky lose every game they play, but even when they got busted by South Carolina, which by the way, that laws continues to look just very odd for them. But like I've known all along, like they have good players, they have good personnel. They're really good defensively and they have been for a while now. On offense, you know, they're not great. They're not you know, they don't light it up, and they didn't do that on Saturday, but they had some guys that can make some place. I mean, Barry and Brown Dankey, those guys are pretty damn good. So it is weird though to see them get that win and have their only losses be to Georgia and then a blowout loss to South Carolina, which is, you know, a bad loss overall. I mean it's not terrible, but you got blown out at home. And yet there's still like ten places out of being ranked in the top twenty five. That tells me that people didn't necessarily gain a ton of new respect for Kentucky. But they're just looking at Old miss as a bunch of frauds. And I'm not saying they are. Aren't. We're gonna find out because they got a tough schedule and we'll see what they end up doing the rest of the way. But they were not good on Saturday. And you know what that's Kentucky's doing, all right? It is Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us here on a Monday after noon. My name is Nick Coffee. The company man is out. He did louder than Life for a couple of days, and he just, you know, he didn't want to come in today. I mean, he took a planned day off, so it wasn't as if he called in, but he knew that louder than life was going to take a lot out of him to where he needed a day to rest. But you know who didn't need a day to rest. That's Austin Montgomery who's in the house. So I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure you were at every day of Louder than Life, were you not? Yeah, day, and yet you're still here an bourbon and beyond last week? Are you coming for the for the for the title of company man? Because I kind of feel like that's what that's what this is like. This this might be John being dethroned as we speak us.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to do that to my guy, John. He was bestowed by you, the company man, and then this played out the way it did, and you know, don't sleep, John, don't sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, in all seriousness, if I went to music festivals for you know, a music festival for that many days consecutively, I would I would probably want to take a day off as well.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: But Austin he didn't do that. He's he's here, he's ready to go. Which we'll get to Lotter than Life because I do have a lot of questions and I want to kind of go back and maybe live through you because I love the event. He was able to go last year did not make it out any this year. And it's not like I regret it, but I know the vibes there are are unreal and I can't imagine what it was like. I feel like the vibes were even better because of the weather. Like what these are people that these are people that are going to embrace the mud and the nastiness and just turn it up a notch. And I wish I would have been there, not to necessarily partake in any like you know, mud fight fling in. I mean, who knows what goes on there. I mean it's there was a lot of that, yeah, but like to be a fly on the wall to kind of just observe it would be would be a lot of fun. So again I would lie to you and tell you we're gonna like get to a lot of different things today. I mean we might, but obviously we're going to talk about what happened at Notre Dame, and we'll talk about what happened in college football. Obviously at the thrilling matchup between I mean Georgia and Alabama. That game could not have worked out any better. If you're just somebody watching without a dog in the fight that wanted to be entertained. And it looked like you were gonna be able to go to bed early because Bama comes out and just completely whipping George's tail, only for Georgia to come back in miraculous fashion to take the lead only for one play. I mean, what a game, what a thrilling finish, and uh, Bama, you got it. I mean, I know it's not Nick Saban anymore, but I don't see them slowing down really any You know, people were making the lame joke, like it's a lame joke, but like I get while people are making it, but it was like so predictable and there were so many people doing it that like before it was ever even put out there into the earth, like you already knew it was gonna be underwhelming, because again it's just you know, you walk into it. But when Bama was up, what twenty one nothing or twenty eight nothing, So I guess Nick Saban was holding Alabama back. Oh, like I mean, you know, like it that's not really funny at all, But again I'm making sense here. It lost any chance of being funny when you knew that everyone was gonna do it and try to like be clever. But Carolyn, or is is I mean, he's had a hell of a start, not just at Olbama. I mean that was an impressive win for him, but I mean if you go back and look at where this guy was, like what seven eight years ago to where he is now, I mean, what a rise in college football coaching for this guy. Some other results from the weekend we certainly need to get to when it comes to college football, some just because you know, we like college football around here, but others because they could impact the local teams. So look, if you guys want to join us on the show, you can. We'll open up the phone lines. We'll make this a show today where you guys can can react and sound off, maybe get some things off your chest. Maybe if you called the postgame show, maybe you've got different thoughts now compared to what you felt as soon as that being ended on Saturday. But either way, the number to give us a call is five O two five to seven, one seventy nine hundred. Again, five O two, five to seven one seventy nine hundred, And if you want to text in you can five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. It's the ln N Federal Credit Union text line and we'll take you up till six o'clock. You could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Alheart Radio. Have listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. I'm not just you know, trying to delay the inevitable, which is just to break down all of the times Louisville shot themselves in the foot only for it to you know, come back and bite them. But somebody stole my my headphones, and I'm upset. I use the old school wired Apple headphones. Yeah, like the earbuds, yeah, earbuds. Yeah, So I use those, and I for a long time would just keep them with me in my backpack, and then, you know, after a while, I'm like, look, there's like two people that use this studio, so I might as well, you know, might as well just leave them here, right, don't. I mean, I just leave them right next to the board here. And I come in today and like, all the other stuff's here, but my headphones are gone. And I don't know who did it. I don't think he was Shannon the dude, because he's had plenty of opportunities. He's here every day in the studio and they've been sitting there and he's been able to resist temptation from stealing my headphones. And he's also my guy. He wouldn't do that. I don't think that all of a sudden, after his cats take down Ole Miss, that he can't fight the urge to steal my my earpot What they call earbuds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess the old school earbud.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I still call them headphones, but I guess technically they are referred to as earbuds.
Speaker 3: I would consider what you're wearing now was like head fund the big cans. Yes, Oh I hate these things, man, I actually like them. It makes me feel more radio.
Speaker 2: Absolutely hate them, and I don't know, I just hate how I sound in them. I feel like I'm I've got, you know, like a satellite attached to my head right now. It's just I don't know. And comfort is crucial in what we do, at least in my opinion for me it is. Maybe others it's not. And I'm just not comfortable with these stupid ass headphones on and it's pissing me off. But you know what, I'll get through it. I'll get through it. I should have brought it back up, but I didn't. It's on me. I think I know who I need to go after though, because the and I'm kind of joking, but like I'm kind of not that makes sense. Like the Racing Loo broadcast on Saturday was a road game, so when they're on the road, they actually do the live play by play that you hear on our stations from this studio. They don't travel with the team for road games. They're doing the radio broadcast for a game that's not at Lynn Family Stadium. They're in here.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: And they were in here on Saturday. And now my headphones are gone. So like again, like it's not that big of a deal. I'm not accusing anybody directly, although I kind of kind of did, I guess. I'm just I'm just laying out what happened. I'm laying out that the headphones were sitting here as they usually are, in the same spot every day we have, you know, somebody coming over the weekend, and now those headphones are gone, but nothing else is misplaced. Again, that's not proof. I mean, I wouldn't think that somebody would just grab headphones that they knew were not theirs, but here we are.
Speaker 3: It's one of two things somebody is. It's just one of those you know when you're in the studio, especially if it's one you don't come into as often as you do, where you just kind of pack everything up. They were using that. Maybe they don't like using the bugear headphones, so they just kind of packed that up and put it in their bag. One A or I could be a honest mistake. I could could be honest mistake, but I could. I love I love a good conspiracy. I like to buy into Shannon. The dude just absolutely sabotaging your show. They got to got a big win the other.
Speaker 2: Day and lost of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. But also at the same time, I don't think those headphones are loud enough for Shannon, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's I mean, how old is Shannon? Like forty ish something like that, maybe can forty. Oh, he's he does an age man. He looks like he looks like it looks like a Ken doll. He's a great looking guy, but like by fifty he'll be deaf completely, like double double double ear. What do you call him? A hearing aids like he'll be he'll him and Venetti will be deaf. Tony already is uh. Shannon will be though, because if I don't check the levels before this board fires up, and he's the one that was in here previously. I mean, I just take the headphones off after I get blasted in my ears, and just once I realize I can still hear, I just thank God that that that that instance didn't make me deaf on the spot. But I'm gonna I'm gonna choose to believe that, you know, it could have just been a common mistake. They're they're gathering up equipment, and sure enough they grabbed a pair of headphones they thought were their's earbuds, I should say, and you know they weren't.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to be on headphone watch if it's not there by next week.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I don't forget these kind of things too. Just see you guys, know, just just be aware, all right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Where shall we start with with Louisville Really just a disappointing result for sure, but not to regurgitate. But Louisville played. I mean, how would you even say they played if you watched that game from start to finish, because if you made enough plays to make it interesting to where you had, you had the ball late driving at their place, you were playing freaking Notre Dame in South Bend. And yes, I know that they're lost in northern Illinois as a head scratcher, but still, I mean, they've got good players and a win they were whatld have had a lot of value and to know that you didn't get to walk away with the valuable win. But it really is mostly because of just dumb mistake after dumb mistake. Like it's just it's maddening. And I'm not trying to do the sore loser thing like louill didn't, you know, like I'm not trying to act like Notre Dame didn't take it like Louisville did it last week against Georgia Tech, the same thing Notre Dame did. I mean, Louisville had some breaks go their way where you know it's not luck necessarily, but you took advantage of Georgia Tech making some big mistakes. You blocked a field goal and the ball goll ends up popping up right to one of your guys as he's in stride to take it to the house for a touchdown. Haines King went full Will Levis and made a really dumb pass and you took advantage of it. So it's not luck, it's just hey, if it cheam's gonna make a mistake and you were, you made an impact in that mistake, then you man, if you make them pay for it, like that's the best of both worlds. That's what you're supposed to do. That's how games completely flip, and that's what Notre Dame did Louisville. So you know, credit to Notre Dame, but like, I still don't know how good they are. I mean, look at the box score. I mean Louisville out gained them three hundred and ninety five yards to two hundred and eighty. They had more yards on the ground, more yards through the air, nearly double the amount of first down they had. I mean, it was it was a game where I don't feel like Notre Dame is that good. But you know that's not their fault, right, I mean, I mean, I guess it is. They should be better. But my point is I could deal with this a little bit easier if I felt like you went up there and you lost to a Notre Dame team to where you just knew you lined up against them on certain plays in certain instances of the game, and you realize you're just outmanned and you're just you know, it's gonna be really tough for you because they got some dudes that you just can't account for. That's not what this was at all. Now, they did bully our offensive line when it comes to pass protection, but other than that, Louis was a better team I think. And again it sounds like such sore loser stuff because if you don't win the game and you still claim you're the better team, yeah you can say that, but it really doesn't matter because you didn't win. You played the game for four quarters, they scored more points than you when it ended, therefore you lost. So I mean, just frustrating beyond belief for me. But it's nice to know that, like I still feel I mean, again, you don't have to feel a way I feel. I'm sure you feel different. Maybe you feel the same, it doesn't matter. You can feel the way you want to feel. But like, I still have a lot of confidence in this team as far as what they can do. I gotta see it you know, I got to see them put together a clean game. They haven't done that yet in the only two games they play that matter. I mean, what happened against Jacksonville State and Austin p You know whatever, you got to play who's on the schedule. You took care of business. But those games don't mean anything. So you play two games and you didn't play clean football and you didn't look sharp. And those are things you can control that has nothing to do with you know, a bad call or you know, just a mistake like coming out sloppy. You just can't be sloppy and make that many mistakes and really expect to beat anybody. But yet you almost did. But again, keep going in circles here, because that's what makes this whole thing so frustrating, is that all these things that like you just know, well, yeah, if you snap the ball over the punter's head and you give them a touchdown from that, well yeah, good luck winning, because you can't make those kind of mistakes and still win. A perfect pass from Tyler Shuck to Jacory Brooks, who's a great player, but he bobbles it and they get an interception and get a short field for an easy, you know, for an easy score. Tyler shuck showing some wheels, fifty yard gain it seemed, and then he goes down loses the ball. Like those are all things you think. You do one of those, You're like, well, it's gonna be tough to win now. But you did all those things and then made more mistakes, had more bad decisions, mismanagement with the clock, play calling on fourth down, like all these things went against well you did it to yourself, but like, these are all mistakes that if you make one of them, you're gonna think, oh, man, I really hope when this thing ends, we're not thinking back to that play or that play.
Speaker 1: You did all of.
Speaker 2: Them and yet you still could have won. So there is a silver lining there kind of. But I've yet to really get to the point where I'm gonna just fully bray embrace the silver lining aspect rather than just thinking to myself, how the hell can we be so sloppy? You know, how can Jeff Braum, you know, not just take the three points there? And you know it wasn't about running out of time there of course at the end of the first half, but like, how about you take a time out? You got three of them and just figure out, Hey, we know we're not taking three, we're gonna try to score here, so let's call it time out instead of being rushed and figure out what we want to do. Let's let's let's really take advantage of these timeouts and get a game plan together so we can execute better at the end of the half. And they did exactly the opposite. So it's just it's frustrating in a in a major way.
Speaker 3: I would also like to think, I mean, you just mentioned it at the top of the show, trying to find out what this loss felt like to other previous Louisville losses. I guess you can kind of go recently to last year at Pittsburgh, but there's a lot of factoris that was a sloppy game, and then I still don't believe that anybody had full trust in the quarterback. Wherever, when you walk away from this game at Notre Dame, you feel even better about the quarterback situation and you don't feel I wouldn't say not feel as great, but you come away quest the play calling and some of the time management that Jeff Brohm had. But there's just a silly interception, silly mistakes, let's just say, bad spots, and just putting yourself in these crucial moments. Last year, even though you are the better team, I didn't feel like there's a lot of players or Louisville find themselves beyond the markers too much, because you had the athleticism was shook showed a lot. Not only watched just in between breaks of when I can you know, in between mosh pitting and all that, but it was every time I turned it on, there was just something silly happening. And you can talk about.
Speaker 2: It not being able to get out of your own way, ketchley.
Speaker 3: Drop passes that turn into interception, especially when the game starts out so good for you score too later.
Speaker 2: You could not have asked for a better start. As far as how you know the first play played out, you know they fumble it, you score quickly. You've already got momentum in a place that you got to think it'd be hard to get momentum there unless something like that happens, and sure enough it did again. I can't think of a loss that I would compare this to as far as just how frustrating it was, but also knowing that like it. It didn't change anything for you. It doesn't mean that Louisville still can't control their own destiny. As far as winning the ACC. Do I think they're gonna win the ACC as of right now? I don't. But you know, it's not because I'm thinking that they just don't have the pieces. It's just, you know, I got to see something better than what we've seen up to this point, and that's just that's that's.
Speaker 3: Where it is.
Speaker 2: Last year against Pittsburgh, that was just like, yeah, you played, You played a piss poor game and a team that's not good took advantage of it, and you never were able to climb out of a hole. They did enough to climb out of the hole here. They made some adjustments defensively, they got better. They I mean, they were able to hold them scoreless in the in the third quarter, so you know, I I mean, in fact, the twenty one points you gave up to them in the first quarter and then that touchdown late after the interception from Shuck, I mean, to me, really it's it's a Cory Brooks interception, not a Shuck interception. But that's not what the stat sheet shows. But I mean, again, it's just it's the same circle. I keep going and I've been doing it since Saturday during the postgame show. All the things you did to lose the game and yet you still could have won. There's two ways to look at that. It's like, Okay, well, hey, at least we know we're capable. We just gotta we gotta fix some issues. And these issues are fixable. It's fixable. It's it's not something you gotta go practice. When it comes to coming out of a timeout and having twelve guys on the field on defense, that's that's just not being stupid. So again, these are things that you can absolutely see not being an issue down the line because it's not like you go get It's not like you gotta go practice and get guys better. It's just like cleaning stuff up. Don't be sloppy. But also again to to to know that if you just didn't hurt yourself, maybe one out of the billion times, seemingly you probably win that game.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I know why, I know why exactly that all played out Saturday, Nick, I think we're missing the big point. Notre Dame wore green. I think our players were a little bit confused. They had those green jerseys on memory. The captains of Notre Dame settled on it, right, They're gonna wear the green jerseys.
Speaker 2: It was a big deal.
Speaker 3: That was a huge, huge deal.
Speaker 2: I think that they look good too, by the way, I got to say, they look good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there, that wasn't bad. It was a green out. Yeah it looked. I mean, you just don't do that every game. The captains nick the captains get together and they discuss that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they chose it. I mean, it didn't have once the game started. I don't give a damn about what they're wearing. But I will say, and it's easy to just forget about it now because I'm so pissed about how the game played out. But both teams I thought looked great. Like that was a really good uniform combo, to be honest with you. So like a couple of things, I've yet to discuss the bad spots, the bad officiating, not because like I'm saying that, you know, we can't bring that up, like I mean, we can't change it. I mean, yeah, and they were bad calls, and maybe one of those things doesn't happen and you still win with all your mistakes. So you know, it's not like I'm choosing to just ignore it, but I want to. I want to specifically talk about those things and go from there. I don't want to, you know, don't turn it into a show. I'm not sure. I'm not going to turn it into a show where we just blame officiating for the loss. But you know, there's just a couple of things that like we've never seen, least I've never seen before, Jeb Browm said to data Is press conference. He's never seen a pass interference called on both offense and defense. Like that's insane. So we'll get to that later. And also, you know, it was clearly a big topic on the postgame show. I mean, I said it one of the first things I said when we started the show. Jeff Brom had a really bad day, and a lot of you called in and kind of said the same thing. Some took it even further. But like that's an unusual feeling for us, not to say he's been perfect, like they've lost it. I mean, I think in any game they've lost this year, you can look back and think that he made a mistake or made a bad play call, or you know, I mean, it's not to say he's perfect, but with such a big game in such a monumental opportunity blown because the team wasn't ready to play and because some of the decisions he made. I mean, like that's an unusual feeling for a lot of people. But hey, we got a call like it is. He was certainly a factor in the result on Saturday, and he would probably tell you the same thing. So, you know, I think we were toxic as a fan base for so long with basketball and football that any time you would criticize a coach or you know, express frustration, I think some people would act as if you were turning it into you want to get rid of the guy or something. And because we were toxic, like Saderfield was a weird thing to be honest with you, from the South Carolina situation on you know, the end of Mac, the whole Kenny Payne thing for the first you know, if you remember, for the first year, there were still people acting like that wasn't a disaster. So like, I think we can and look, Jeff's one of our own. So like, I think if there is a silver lining for me, I think we now know like we have a healthy and safe space where we can be critical of our coach, but no, we love our coach and know that he's good enough to be. You know, he's good enough to be. He's good enough for Louisville to be a serious team, right. I mean, there's still a top twenty caliber team right now. They went to the a SEC championship game last year. So it's just, you know, it stood out to me that nobody's making it personal. Nobody's saying the guy is a bum. But there was a lot of criticism thrown his way, which I don't think we had been there before. And yet you know, I think he wouldn't have it any other way. I think he understands. So all right, let's get to our first break. We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. If you want to join us on the show, you can. Phone lines are open five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred. It's coffee and Company. Feel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You know one thing I'm aware of, but I'll be honest with you, I haven't thought about it at all since since since before the game, to be honest with you, but all those things that we know Louisville did wrong that played a big role in them losing coming up short to Notre Dame is you didn't have Quincy Riley, who a lot of people think is your best NFL prospect. So that's an another thing that honestly, it depends on how you want to view it. Do you want to feel like, Okay, well man, that's another thing that we still played well enough to have a chance to win, and that's another thing that was going against us, So I feel good or you can say damn. That makes it even worse to know that, you know, with everything working against you as far as well, maybe it's not fair to say turnovers are going against you. I mean, you did that. That's not bad luck. I mean maybe some people view it that way, but.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you turn it over rather it be a fumble or an interception, you know that's your fault. I mean, the interception that was thrown by Tyler Shuck was not his fault, but it was ja Cory Brooks fault. Therefore it's Louisville's fault. So it is Coffee and Company. We are feeled about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the gas pump and your life will be better. I can't prove that, I can't guarantee it, but I want you to trust me. Life will be better for you if you are a member of the Refreshment Awards Program.
Speaker 3: With theory.
Speaker 2: All right, five oh two five seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to give us a call, Text Lion Ellen n Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five to three zero, seven ninety. So, I mean, I don't feel like we really need to reset and list all the big mistakes that Louisville made. But I'll try to rapid fire through this. But all of their turnovers were avoidable. I mean, think about it, the the fumble from shock. I mean again, make you know, give credit to the defense, but that's again, that's your vault, and he knows that snapping the ball over the punter's head, that's something you did that really had nothing to do with notre Dame. If anything, you give credit to their crowd, right, maybe they were so loud you were just spazzing out out there as the long snapper. And then you know the interception that that happened later in the game and Notre Dame scored seventeen points off those mistakes. I mean, that's I mean, that's that's crucial. I mean, that's that's that's scary. You can't do that and win. And then you mix in those mistakes with I mean, the play calling from you know, from Jeff at the end of the half was just like so not him, and it just seemed like, I don't know, somebody put me on the spot on the postgame show and asked me to, you know, try to you know, I guess guess what he was thinking with that decision to you know, to stretch the edges when you need just one yard? Why not just running up the middle with Isaac Brown, I mean, or maybe do a QB sneak, like to try to go outside with Donald Cheney just seemed like maybe the worst thing that I mean, honestly, what do I know. I know nothing about football as far as play calling, and Jeff's probably already forgotten more in the last fifteen minutes than I'll ever know. So it's not as if, like, you know, he should listen to me, But I feel like if you gave me options of what to do in that situation towards the end of the first half, when you're trying to get a first down, that would have been the last one that I chose. So maybe he just said to himself, well, this is this is not at all what they're going to expect, so let's do that. Let's let's let's give it to Donald Cheney and try to stretch and try to stretch the edge because they won't see that coming. And you know, it was a risk and it didn't work out. I had no problem with him being aggressive, and I would have taken the three. But you know, I'm not even that bothered that he decided to keep going and try to punch one in. I'm just really disappointed and surprised what he chose to do with that decision, meaning those play calls, and yeah, I think they got the person down on one of them, and the fact that they didn't, you know, they didn't get reviewed is you know, it's another thing you can just add to the list of what really frustrated you.
Speaker 3: And he didn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like he you know, didn't utilize those timeouts, and that impacted Louisville being able to even get a play in before the half came to an end. But to see just kind of how disorganized they were, and it seemed like every time they got to the to the you know, to the line, it just kind of felt like they weren't. I shouldn't say they were disorganized, but like I could just get a sense that many of the plays the offense kind of looked unsure themselves, especially as the play clock the play clock started to get you know, lower and lower. So why not utilize those timeouts? I know, you want to go fast, maybe catch them off catch them off guard, have them on their heels. But like when it looks as if this is not going to go well, call time out. I mean, you had three of them and they didn't use them. And that's just again I thought that was that was a head scratcher from coach Brown. You know, he had a bad day. You know, he's had many many good days. I think this is an outlier, but it is just a it's really disappointing to know that this team has played two games against real teams and both times they've come out and they've been sloppy. Against Georgia Tech it was penalties and just being disjointed, and against Notre Dame, it was just dumb mistake after dumb mistake and sloppiness that was due to play calling, decision making from the coaching staff. I mean, getting twelve guys on the field right out of a timeout on d defense, it's just inexcusable. I mean, that is just I mean, that's that's egregious. So I think you do something enough times, it becomes your identity. Yeah, it's fixable. Yeah, it's an easy it's an easy thing to like not do, but if you do it enough, that's who you are. And I'm not saying Louisvill's identity is a sloppy football team, but we're not far from it. I mean, if they come out and they look as if they just aren't sharp and they're sloppy once again, but yet they still hold on to batsmu Hey, I'll take a win. But like I want to see him, I'm not asking for perfection. I'm not asking him to go out there and not commit a penalty. I'm not asking him to go out there and not make a mistake. I mean, things happen. But you know, in previous brom coached games, even last year, they had stretches of sloppy play and then they cleaned it up and really you know, got it rolling and that kind of you know, they did well enough to fight back. The defense made some adjustments. You know, clearly the offense made some place. Tyler Shuck looked good to me, and I mean really good. His stat line will not show you how good he actually was. If you watch that game, Ja Corey Brooks, that guy is a baller. A really costly mistake on his end, but man, he's good. Colin Lacey, you know what's he doing? His debut at Louisville make maybe the catch.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's special. So, you know, just a frustrating loss, no doubt. But we'll let you guys react. If I go to if I have seven to one, seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, let's go to the phone lines. We will welcome in Ben Ben. How are you doing this afternoon? Brother?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 4: Nick man?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I was mad after the game. Man, I couldn't call it in. I ain't want to cuss none, but man, I hear you. It was frustraight And I did listen though. On my way back to South Being, I went up there and it was you had a good show.
Speaker 2: How was the atmosphere?
Speaker 1: Man, it was not.
Speaker 4: It was good. I would go again, but I think it's slightly overrated. We don't know how good we got it. Man, no bird, no, no turn back seats and he's sitting on bleachers. Yeah, they got one replay board.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm glad you said that, Ben, because I'm you know, to Dame. Apparently it has made some really big improvements to their stadium since the last time a bunch of Louival fans went up there ten years ago. But I think what what people like really cling to when they prop this up as one of the best atmospheres, like in all of sports. And one of the coolest things to see is the tradition. And that's cool and all, But I'm somebody that sometimes sees tradition and I'm like, man, it's just old, Like I went to Kieron Indoor, Kevin Indoor, just old and small, like that doesn't make it cool to me, but you know, everybody's got their own preference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just felt like I was kind of going to church and a football you know. I mean, like I said, I will go again just cause, you know, but it was a little overrated, and I you know, I got some flat from Norre Dame fans on Twitter. They all just keep calling me fat because I want to turn back seat. Oh well, but I mean, you know, Nick, I was mad after the game, but I feel better about our quarter quarterback even after the loss, that he was a baller. He's a baller. And another thing, Nick, I'm glad you're you're being real about you know, bron Man. We love Bron He's probably all of our favorite coach in Louisville history already. But he had a bad game. Dude, he had a bad game. And you know, for everybody wanted to harp on the defense, I thought the defense was solid, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they settled in really nicely.
Speaker 1: They did, man.
Speaker 4: I mean the I mean Riley Winner had like one hundred and fifty yards pass him. The leading rusher had fifty yards Russian. I mean, you know, like defense did the thing. Man, But you know, long term. I think a lot of people are saying, you know this, that game had nothing to you know, affect long term. But I kind of disagree because I mean, there's no room for error now, you know what I mean? So hey for I hang up and listen Nick over on Under ten wins this year. Now, man, hung up and listen to the show.
Speaker 2: But thank you appreciate it, Ben, Yeah, I'll be to start with his question there. I mean, as of right now, I think I have to say under. And I don't think i'm you know, I mean, I think most people would probably say under if you wouldn't, like, I don't think you're crazy. You did just lose to Notre Dame on the road, and even though you deserve to take the l and know that you know it's what it could have should have it, there also are factors within that game that they could have you looking at other games and feeling like, Okay, we're not gonna shoot ourselves on the foot that many times, right, and these opponents that we play, it's not gonna be playing Notre Dame at their place. But again, I'm going under until I can see them play a cleaner, a cleaner game and just look more. You know, they just don't look they look disjointed too much at times in these last couple of games, So I would say under But yeah, I mean, as far as you know the margin for air, I I've heard people kind of talking that to both sides of their mouth, and I don't think that's because they're trying to take both sides of it. But like, yes, you can still go to the ACS, or you can still go to the ACC Championship potentially, and of course, if if you win the ACC, you're in the playoff. So this game on Saturday had nothing to do with that. That's all true, right, But if you are gonna potentially be an AQ team that's sniffing the playoff or i'm sorry, a non AQ team that sniffing the playoff because you didn't win your league, you would need a win like this to prop you up. I am someone of a belief that it would be really tough for anybody in the ACC to get an at large essentially just because of the league. I mean, that's just the way I see it. Maybe I'm wrong, but like I think Miami, if they stay rolling, maybe they could find themselves. I mean, if they win the league they're in. Maybe Clemson if they go eleven and one. I don't know. I guess the scenario where there's two ACC teams in as of right now, maybe it changes. Could be that Clemson ends up beating Miami in the ACC Championship game and yet Miami's only loss is that, then maybe they would still get in. They probably would, but you know, we're a long way away from that. But yeah, I mean, I'm not gonna say that who cares this game didn't matter, because it did. But what gets me is just I know what a win at Notre Dame can do for programs. It doesn't happen very often. Ninety percent of the teams roughly that go out there and play don't leave with victories. And I know Northern Illinois just did. So maybe the instant you know, the instant value wouldn't be there just because you were. You would be the second team to do it in a matter of what three weeks. But let's be real. If Louisville can go into the offseason and they would have had that win, they could then say they've not only beat Notre Dame two of the last times they've played them, they could say that they are now two and one in South Bend since they've been in the ACC and like, I'm not saying we'd put a banner up for that, but like, let's not act like they doesn't have value. And to know that you easily could have done it had you not screwed yourself. It's just again, it's frustrating. It's frustrating. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Get to more of your phone calls. Let you guys continue to react. Here talk some NFL. Austin is a big Vikings fan, and I'm convinced he's got the best quarterback in the league right now, which not something anybody would have said a month ago.
Speaker 1: But here we are.
Speaker 2: I mean Sam Darnold looking good out there.
Speaker 3: Donald Schwarzenegger, who.
Speaker 2: Saw that coming. Quick break, don't go anywhere. It's coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's hit the text line, shall we? Five O two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says Nick, I'm with you one of the most frustrating losses I can remember as a fan. But when it comes to the players and the coaches, I still feel like we have a lot that can be accomplished. Go cards. Yes, and even though Jeff had a bad day, I mean, he still, you know, did some things as a coach that you know, puts you in the position to where you still probably I mean you had a chance to potentially overcome all those mistakes that were made by players and made you know, by him, or maybe not a mistake but just a bad decision, which again technically I guess you could chalk it up as a mistake. But yeah, I mean I I what keeps me feeling, you know, I guess maybe not optimistic, but just you know, like I'm not worried that Louisville's going to play teams this year that you simply say, well, what are we gonna do? We don't have any we don't have anything. We don't have we don't have the personnel to match up with him in any way. Now, clearly there's gonna be games where you play opponents and they're gonna have an advantage at certain positions because you know you're you're not elite at everything. Nobody really is. But yeah, I mean this is not a reaction to where you're questioning do you have the ability? Like is it possible? It's more so can they tighten it up and can they play clean football? And you know, and improve? And it's not to say that they've shown us from a talent perspective that they're good enough to beat anybody. I mean I think they're pretty good. I mean on defense, even like stan Kwon Clark that was his breakout game and it happened to be against Notre Dame, one of the top programs historically in the country. I mean, ja, Corey Brooks, we've seen what he can do all year. Tyler Shuck. I mean, he's looked good against the bad teams, and then against Notre Dame his stats won't show, but he played great. And then Colin, how about this guy? I mean, there's gonna be a lot of creative ways that Jeff can use him. So yeah, I mean, I'm it just sucks. I think tomorrow I'll not over it. But just you know, my tone may be a little bit different when talking a little football because it's just it still stings right now, all right, real quick, just as we sit here today in the NFL Week four that has yet to conclude, because we've got two games tonight. You know, what I try to do each week is to like, okay, who's who do we know is really good? Like who's And last week I'm not sure you could say anybody outside of the Bills in the Vikings were like really good teams, because you had teams that started the first two weeks looking like they were really impressive and then they come out and would lose to a winless team that you know stinks. But right now there are only two undefeated teams and that's the Vikings and the Chiefs. I mean I would, I'd still I don't know, I'm not. I think the Eagles losing the way they did to the Buccaneers was a bad sign for them. I mean, do we put the Commanders in there? I mean, they look really good these last couple of weeks with Jaden Dan Annieals. I was expecting that to be a really close game. They dominated the Cardinals. You know, the Ravens. They're two and two after starting zero to two. But I think you can look at their loss in Kansas City. And understand, they lost in the opener against a team that's currently in the midst of a dynasty, and it was you know, one play that they didn't get because the guy's foot was on the line that really changed that game. And then they had this head scratching loss to the Raiders. Of course, but that happens to some teams. But to bounce back and beat like last night, I think going into that game, everybody would have told you the Bills looked like the best team, and the Ravens knocked them down thirty five to ten.
Speaker 3: As for my.
Speaker 2: Colts, we did move to UH two and two on the season with a game that you know should have been shouldn't have been as close as it was, but you know, they held on in one. By the way the Steelers were, they not like the and again, this is what they do with Mike Tomlin, Like Mike Tollin, will well, Mike Tomlin will compete and win ugly. It's just that's his brand. But there were three and oh, and I don't think anybody actually thought they were they were very good.
Speaker 3: No, especially with their whole quarterback situation. And at one point they're gonna put Justin Fields at a kick returner and now he's doing wonders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look he's doing I mean, look they started three and oh there's there's clearly some value in doing that. But you know it just it never felt like it was legit with them, and I don't I can't. I can't say that for the for the for the Vikings. I mean that's your team. Yeah, I mean they've had they've had I feel like starts to seasons that are either really really good kind of like this, or starts that are like they can't win a game for like seven weeks or something like that. This seems like legit. Like I don't think it's fluky. I mean, you're you're a fan of them, I mean, are you Are you believing that this could be one of their best teams in a long time?
Speaker 3: Yes, I think so. And I can understand the the consensus that it's hard to look at a team prior to the season and say, a Sam Darnold led team is going to be really really good.
Speaker 2: Oh, you would get checked for insanity, I think, of course.
Speaker 3: But I mean it's all situation matter in the NFL, and he took a good pause going to San Francisco last year learning that Shanahan offense. But I mean he got drafted into their there's a study on these these quarterbacks who get drafted to save our franchise, right, Baker Mayfield save our franchise, Sam Donald save our franchise, and their dumpster fires. You know, Adam Gase hasn't been in the NFL in a while, their coordinator when Sam Donald was there is now a tight ends coach at Arkansas, and so like, I mean, put Patrick Mahomes in that situation. He gets drafted to a perfect place, and especially going into the season where everyone just thought that because JJ McCarthy is gonna be their future quarterback. I thought he looked really good in the preseason and it was always going to be a Sam Donald year this year, and Kevin o'connelly got to give it up to him. He's got to be one of the best young coaches and mix up with Brian Flores, who is just an absolute mastermind on defense. I think they might have one of the best defenses in the league. And don't let you know them getting outscored last yesterday against the Packers. Do it that the way they have their blitzes their pass rushers, and getting rid of Kirk cuz A was a great sign to disbelief. I never hated Kirk Cousins, but he took up a lot of cap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it felt like you guys were kind of starting all over and you were, and yet here you are looking like maybe the best team in the NFL. I mean, you know, it's crazy to say. Some of the teams that they've beaten so far, I'm not sure how good they are. But they did go in and beat San Francisco at their place. I mean that's I mean, that's I'm sorry that they had that game at home, but still that's a win against a really good team. They demolished the Texans, who have been pretty good this year, beat him thirty four to seven. And then they got off to a great start at Lambeau yesterday. They were able to hold on before Green Bay made a big run. But no, the look they look good and I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for guys that get another opportunity whenever they were pretty much written off. I mean, Sam Darnold had been labeled a bust for many years in the NFL, and now he's thriving as honestly right now, statistically there's no better quarterback in the league. He's got the most touchdown passes. Yeah, I mean, it's just crazy. And then Baker Mayfield, same thing for him. I mean, that's a guy that all. He just became a joke because and I don't mean like he was, but when people brought him up, it was probably to joke on him, to clown him because of how things had played out for him. But sure enough, he takes advantage of the opportunity in Tampa when Brady moves on and he's having a lot of success, which, by the way, later we need to let you hear Tom Brady apparently took issue with some comments that Baker Mayfield had about the time those two were together in Tampa. And to hear Brady bring that up, was he doing the game? I heard the clip because it made its rounds online, But for him to bring that up if he was calling that game would be even better. But anyways, we got a run, We got two hours to go. Stick with us. We will take you up till six o'clock. Continue to react to react from the week, We'll continue to react to the weekend. That was I can't speak today