Speaker 1: All right, you know what time it is. Let's get it started. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: I say it a lot.
Speaker 1: In fact, I say it every day, not only when the show starts, but every start of the hour. In fact, I probably I've never actually counted how many times I let you guys know that we are fueled about Thornton So I'm sure you've heard it in an endless amount of times. But I'll tell you once again, fuel about Thorton's, and I'll remind you if you want to take advantage of not only the great deal they got going on right now at Thornton's with the four Monster Energy drinks for seven bucks. I mean, that's an absolute steal, but also I didn't mention this the other.
Speaker 2: Day, or maybe I did, but even if I did.
Speaker 1: It's worth mentioning again because it's such a phenomenal deal that that will surprise you.
Speaker 2: When it comes to their food items. Right now, you can get two for.
Speaker 1: Six pizza slices, five piece boneless wings, and cheesy bread. So keep them in mind. And we got a lot we're going to get to throughout the day. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us, don't forget you can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheartradio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And I think I guess I should let you guys know right out of the gate, we're gonna be joined coming up here with the spring game coming up in a matter of hours, we're gonna be joined here shortly by Brian Brom, Louisville former Louisville quarterback. I don't need to introduce Brian Bram. Do you guys know who Brian Bram is. He's also the offensive coordinator for his brother Jeff. And spring game is tonight. Weather seems, you know, decent, right. It could be a lot worse. And I may be wrong, but I do feel like, more often than not, when the spring game has happened, we've had awful weather.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm completely making.
Speaker 1: That up and I'm just thinking of like a couple of isolated spring games where the weather was terrible, but it just seems like more often than not we don't have great weather. And I don't know if I would call it great tonight, but hey, it's better than rain, and I guess you know better than snow. We rarely get snow in April, but you never know around here, right, So it looks like it'll be about fifty low fifties in the evening, so hopefully they have a.
Speaker 2: Great crowd out there.
Speaker 1: There's been some spring games across the country, I don't know how many, but just flat out canceled.
Speaker 2: They just don't do them anymore.
Speaker 1: And I think there's some specific reasons for that, but I don't know. And I understand you want to be really careful about other teams watching your spring game and maybe evaluating players that maybe they feel like if they put in a phone call to somebody, they could end up getting those players from you. And obviously you really I mean this to me seems inevitable. But I guess letting guys know when they get to the spring game as spring football concludes, kind of where they stand on the depth chart, it could maybe give them incentive to say, you know what, I'm not. I've been here for a few months, thought i'd be really really earning a lot of reps, maybe looking at a starter position, But I'm third on the depth chart. So those are reasons why at least the reasons that I've heard as to why some of these spring games are being canceled or they're just doing something different. But like, those things are going to happen regardless if you have a spring game or not. I mean college football coaches, I mean, you think they're not watching film and trying to steal your players like at all times of the day, right, I mean, they don't need a spring game to look at your roster and then go watch film and see who you have. So that stuff's gonna happen regardless. I'm happy that Jeff Brahm and his staff it doesn't sound like there's really ever been any consideration for not doing a spring game. So again, reminder, it'll start at six. They moved it up a little bit just to try to make the most of the daylight that they'll.
Speaker 2: Have before it gets dark.
Speaker 1: So not sure what to expect as far as you know, competitiveness, But obviously there's a new quarterback in town, Miller Moss. It'll be your first chance to get to see him in action. We'll ask Brian sort of his first impression. Well, I don't know if it's his first impression, because his first impression as far as watching this guy in person was whenever Miller Moss lit Louisville up back in that was that the Sun Bowl. No, wasn't the Sun Bowl. It was the whatever the bowl is that was in San Diego. That was like easily the It was a difficult bowl to get to. I mean, I guess technically that bowl is believed to be and I don't know. I guess it's changed now that you have a twelve team playoff. I don't know where that bowl ranks as far as like a prime time bowl to be in, one that you want to choose, one that you hope to be in rather than some others that have those ACC tie ins. But yeah, you won ten games, went to the ACC championship, and it did kind of feel like a letdown knowing that with that special season you ended up playing USC in San Diego, which was quite literally the most inconvenient bowl for Louisville fans.
Speaker 2: That I can ever remember. Holiday that's right, Holiday Bowl.
Speaker 1: That's it was on Fox, which gave us the rare Louisville football game with Gus Johnson on the call. Oh yeah, and Miller Moss lit us up and here we are two seasons later and now he's going to be your your starting quarterbacks. So again we'll talk to to Brian about a lot of things. I've actually got a lot that I want to run by him, pick his brain on just this new world of college foot ball when it comes to recruiting the portal. Obviously want to get his thoughts on Miller Moss and you know, Brian obviously a hell of a quarterback himself and had had some time in the NFL, played in the CFL. I want to get his thoughts on Well, I'll just ask him. Maybe it's not really him sharing his thoughts, but is he surprised at all? He'll probably say no, because you know, that's what a coach would do to support his player. But man, this this love for Tyler Shuck. It's weird because it's not as if I'm sitting here thinking like, Wow, I don't know about it. I don't think the guy's that good to be getting all this buzz. It just kind of came out of nowhere, right like he was good at Louisville and I remember, you know you'd hear and this, I guess is where it makes a little more sense to where it kind of adds up like you would hear an nounce like Louisville really never at any moment had any in football specifically, they never really had any any time within the year where it looked like they were in, you know, great shape to like make the playoff, because again I still think they had a special season, well not a special season, but a good season, not a great season. And I still think after two years it's safe to say you've got real momentums to with Jeff Brom being.
Speaker 2: Your ball coach.
Speaker 1: But you had your losses earlier on in the year, right, you lost to Notre Dame, then you ended up losing to SMU, and then you lost to Miami, and those all came I think within like your first seven games, which, as you know, those weren't bad losses at all, but it ended up making it to where at that point you know that was really when you only have twelve games and you have those results within the first you know sixty percent of your season, you could still finish strong, and you know the teams you lost to aren't bad by any means, at least you know at the time we didn't. I mean, in fact, they those teams ended up being really good, all of them, but at the same time, like you already had removed yourself from the ACC championship seemingly, and also you really had no shot at the playoff. Although have they not lost to Stanford, there is a weird way in which they could have maybe flirted with getting in. I still don't think it would have happened. But you know, it's probably not even worth We'll never know, right, And I think the more we will look at it, the more we may think, you know what, just maybe it might have been, might have been there for us, and they were playing really good football. L Obviously, that lost to Stanford still is just, you know, something I can't believe happened. But outside of that, you had the one dud loss and the rest of the way, you know, a good season.
Speaker 2: A good season, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Speaking of not thinking back, because we'll never know, and if you do really spend time wondering what if, you might be bummed. I still at times do that when it comes to the two thousand and six Louisville football season, because it really was the perfect storm at the perfect time. Timing is everything in life. I say that a lot because it's true and you don't even really know it at times as far as like you could there could be something that is just phenomenal timing that's going to change something substantially in your life for the good, and you just don't know it at the time, and you'll look back and.
Speaker 2: Say, wow, how about that worked out? Well?
Speaker 1: That was the twenty or two thousand and sixth season. Brian's brian second to last year as the quarterback at Louisville, because if you remember it, you know they ended up up losing the Rutgers, and had they not, it just set up where everybody else, like you would have probably been that second place team playing in the BCS National Championship game. And whoever it was it Ohio State or Florida that won it. I don't remember which one it was, but I think it was one of those two teams. I could be totally wrong, but that that's the first two teams. Those are the first two teams that came to mind. And like Louisville was really good that year, and those teams they could have easily beat Louisville, I supposed, but like they weren't like scary good. It was the Louisville roster with Bobby and his last year that I kind of felt like, yeah, you get a shot at one of these big time opponents, like you might, you might take them down. But again, here I am spending time talking about it. We'll never know, and does kind of still make me sad because there's.
Speaker 2: One of those what ifs.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of what ifs and Louisville Athletics over the years, and I think that is that is certainly one of them. Are some of the things we need to get to today if you were not already well aware, because I think the proof's been there, but there's there's evidence now, at least reports, I should say, I guess there's no proof of it, but there's reports that really tell you that, yes, this is absolutely professional sports and there's no way around it. Because according to those that cover recruiting, those that are really you know, in the weeds, talking to collectives, nil agents, players covering all this NonStop musical chairs of players moving in and out, there are at least eight teams in college basketball that will be spending over ten million dollars on their roster next year in basketball, and one of those schools is BYU, which.
Speaker 2: I think it was the not the starfread.
Speaker 1: There are two really good freshmen, so Rob White's Rob Wright I think is his name or something, right, He's not bj Edgecomb at Baylor, but he was. He was another really good freshman that Scott Drew brought in this past year who had a good season. He's transferring to BYU to play alongside the number one freshmen in the country that's coming into BYU next year. And they seemingly have unlimited money. And you know, going to BYU maybe like a culture shock to some that aren't really familiar with like what that that is. But man, if they're paying that kind of money and it sounds like, you know, they got the Mormon money. Therefore, even if like and I'm not sure we'll get there, but it's certainly something to follow if we get to you know, Duke, Kentucky, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisville. Like, I'm just thinking of the schools that you know, would always try to find money to outbid somebody, like if they really want a player and they knew they were just gonna have to match an offer or go above and offer, Like there are some programs that would just do whatever they got to do to make it happen because they know that players that special and there really aren't that many guys. I think that you would just unload unlimited money on but like BYU, it seems as if no matter what you can do, they'll top it, and you like it'll it'll be. It'll be a back and forth bidding war until you run out of money because they probably have more than you. Just fascinates me. You speaking of that, there's some drama when it comes to money. This is on the football side of things, where the Tennessee quarterback Nico la Mavlea. I'm sure I'm not saying his name correct. It sounds as.
Speaker 2: If he's he's negotiating.
Speaker 1: His his current NIL situation, right, So like we've got players that are you know, in a good spot, already making millions of dollars. In fact, this young man made national headlines when he was in high school because the reports were that he was getting you know, a couple million, which now I guess is not that crazy in the grand scheme of things, But this was like early on, I think in this nil world, and now there are reports that he's trying to ask for more. Basically, you know, threatening that he might hit the portal if the money is not, you know, better than what he's getting right now. And I think it's Travis you know, it's Chris Low who covers SEC football for ESPN. I mean he's reporting that Tennessee is not like they're okay, well, you know, do what you got to do, Like they're going to call his bluff, I suppose, which is what they should do, because, to be honest with you, I mean, talented young quarterback better than a lot that you'll see out there in college football, so pose. But I mean, he's barely cracked the upper half of the SEC quarterbacks last year, and you could argue with that maybe he was overpaid. But it sounds like his family's involved, which you know, that's not uncommon for a family to be a part of a young man's decision when it comes to those kind of things. But like, I don't know if I want to be overly critical or just understand that this is now the world we're in and it's really not uncommon for a family collectively, even if it is the son who's the you know, it's his money, I suppose, but obviously you know that's life changing money. For most families in America, So like family's being involved in like wanting to you know, up the money and getting you know, basically probably not even talking to the kid, Like the kid's probably not thinking, hey, I need four million. It's probably people around him saying you should get more money. And a part of me says, that's slimy, you shouldn't do that. But I don't know, like this is a chance for this guy and his family to really change their life. And he could stink and maybe get hurt and never play again, he probably would still be able to make me. Like, it's just because it's such a thing now, meaning you know, everybody out there that's starting at quarterback in the SEC, the ACC, the Big ten, like you know, they're getting big, big money, and with that, like it's just like your job, you know, you're always thinking, Okay, maybe maybe I should look around because getting paid pretty well here, but I think I could probably get more out of this school. Like that's just that's just what it is now. And obviously it's it's a big difference than what we were used to for many, many, many years, many generations. To be honest with you, but again, this is pro sports folks, it has been and it feels like every day there's more and more evidence that that's what that's what this has turned into. All right.
Speaker 2: Also, I want to spend some time talking.
Speaker 1: A little bit about the uh, the news yesterday on the Kentucky basketball side of things. They lost one of their incoming freshmen, and you know, it'd be easy to kind of, you know, make a joke about Mark Pope not being able to you know, close the deal.
Speaker 2: Another whif for Pope. I mean, I have no I don't.
Speaker 1: Believe that this kid like was was encouraged to like move on because they want to make room for or veterans. But even if he does leave and you now have an open spot and maybe some good Nile money to go towards a transfer, like it's probably a good thing for Kentucky if I'm being honest, It's just the truth. Also, Pat Kelsey talked earlier today at the I think it's the Kentucky Derby Festival kickoff luncheon press conference, and he was there. Obviously, you know, he's he should be very much embedded within Derby this year. I don't know how they're gonna do that, but man, they should absolutely find a way to u to you know, he needs to be as visible as possible because he's the man around here. And I don't know if he's gonna be hosting any visitors, recruits, transfers, whatever. But last year, if you remember, there were a lot of guys who came in around Derby time. And you know, I don't know if who knows, maybe by Derby the roster's already set. But anyways, Pat Kelsey talked and says the roster is almost kind of coming to a to a close, and you know they still have some work to do, not totally done, but case and Pryor Is is the one they're waiting on and sounds like that decision could could could come sooner rather than later. So anyways, again at his Coffee and Company, we are feel about Thornton's. Make sure you hang out, stick with us. We'll have some bun today gets you set for the weekend, a weekend that should be thunder over a Lois but obviously you know that's not happening now and it's a bummer, but we could still have a good weekend. Right it's opening baseball weekend for the little leagues around here, which means I'm going to be a busy dad on Saturday, going back and forth to two different leagues. But you know, part of the gig. When I say gig, I mean, you know, the gig of being a dad. Nothing better than being a dad. By the way, congratulations to the company man himself, mister John Alden, he and his lovely wife Alicia. They welcomed their daughter this morning's right, so congratulations congratulations to John. Congrats on the sex, my man. Now we know for sure that's right, baby, It's all almost up to you. Yeah, I mean he's he's got some work to do. You know, I'm a two time. I'm a two timer. But yeah, congrats to John. Really happy for him and his family. Kind of feel like a I don't know, I kind of feel like an uncle, you know what I mean, Like like watching John, you know, come right out of w KU and and in turn a little while for Howie Lendsy and then he's then he Dinnie in the sky.
Speaker 2: Then he joins us. Now you know, now.
Speaker 1: They moved him up to the big stick, right, Yeah, I mean he's doing well for himself. But again, congrats to John and his family and Tyke.
Speaker 2: He was destined to be a dad. Oh big dad vibes. That's big dad vibes. I mean, it's just it's a natural thing. It'll come natural to him, no doubt. So all right, we gotta take a quick break.
Speaker 1: Keep it locked right here again, it's Coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: That's right, coffee and Company rolling along here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend, although it kind of feels like the weekend you know, is already here. But anyways, thanks for hanging with us, don't forget to take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the Ouhet Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. The reason I'm speaking so fast as I'm trying to get in as much as we can here before we take another quick break and then bring in Brian Brohm. But somebody on the text line asked if I if I uh, well, I guess just really didn't ask anything. They were sharing something A screenshot from card Chronicle mister Rutherford about the Tennessee program and the ole Miss program apparently not interested in scheduling Louisville when Jeff Brahm was apparently trying to get something done with them. I think both schools had ended up having an open date for whatever reason, and Louisville wanted to take advantage of that and try to see if they could get something scheduled. But both schools, it looks like, opted to play somebody else. And I'm not, you know, I'm not really that shocked by that. I mean, yeah, it's easy to say, well, why, you know, I think Louisville is one of those schools that, yes, clearly they're a solid program. I mean we're talking about a team that, you know, ten wins two seasons ago. Last year, I mean, by all accounts, he still had a pretty good year with just one kind of head scratching loss, and that was the loss to Stanford. So you know, I guess if you're ole Miss or you are Tennessee, you're probably looking at Louislle as you know, they're good. They could easily beat us. But if we beat them, do we really get a whole lot of credit? I mean, I think you would, because I have a good feeling that Louisville will once again be viewed as one of the best teams in the ACC, A team that will probably be ranked this season. I don't know if they'll start ranked or if they'll end up, you know, kind of sliding in and out of the top twenty five depending on what happens.
Speaker 2: But you know, Louisville there's value if you beat them.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, maybe it's the arrogance of the SEC to where they just don't feel like, you know, it'd be worth taking a risk because the reward wouldn't really do much for them.
Speaker 2: But again, I think it would.
Speaker 1: And it's not to say that louis will be a marquee win that could you know, elevate somebody from not being in the playoff to being in.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it could, though, depending upon I mean, I keep having to remind myself that there's now twelve teams to get in. But Louisville had this problem years ago, right when they would schedule something way way in advance, and then a school would buy out of the deal because you know, because of what I just mentioned, and it was a little bit more I guess understandable because when Louisville was in Conference USA or maybe even the Big East, it would be a I don't know if it'd be a black eye, but it'd be viewed as a if you beat him, yet it's what you're supposed to do, and if not, you know, it's not a bad loss by any means. But I don't know, maybe if you're in Conference USA at the time, no matter what Louisvel's rank, which I think one of their best teams ever, best team of all one of the best teams of all time, two thousand and four was a Conference USA team. So uh, I'm you know, I'm not surprised, and yeah, if you want to call those schools, you know, scared, then I get it. And what I love is that Louisville schedule right now. I mean, I'm not gonna, you know, knock it as if it's if it's you know, super soft. But what I what I felt like in the first couple of seasons of Jeff is I just didn't really get a feel for is he gonna try to keep Louisville scheduling in the non conference is you know, maybe not as many good teams as possible, But will he be out there trying to find games against teams like Ole misson Tennessee. Now we know the answer this year, you know, Indiana, Indiana buying out really put Louisville in a tough spot, and that's why you have the schedule that you have this year. So I never felt like Jeff was going to be making sure they schedule as many cupcakes as possible. But you know, this year's schedule, it's just, you know, this is the best way to describe it.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: I guess disclaimer Indiana is mostly to blame here because they should be on the schedule. You should be playing them in Bloomington this year, and I know we want to make fun. You know, everyone wants to call out what's their coach's name, Signetti? No Signetti, Oh we're talking about football, Yeah, Signetti. But like he he was not the coach there yet when they decided to go ahead and buy out, that was Tom Allen and the athletic director. And at the time it made sense because they're Indiana. But then you know last year they had a phenomenal season, so Indiana should be on the schedule, and you've had to scramble to kind of make what you you know, put together whatever you can and e KU, James Madison and Bowling Green in Kentucky are your non conference and then in conference, of course you're gonna have games against Clemson, SIMU.
Speaker 2: You do play Virginia Tech this year at their place. You're gonna be at Miami.
Speaker 1: So the schedule is not bad in the ACC, it's just in the non conference it's not great. And again Indiana is to blame for that.
Speaker 3: But the way I.
Speaker 1: Described it when we first talked about it a a few months ago, once we knew exactly, you know, who was on the schedule, It's a schedule that if it was Kentucky's schedule we'd make fun of it, right because they play, you know, the two MAC teams, an FCS team, and then Louisville. So yeah, I'm not surprised that Ole Miss and Tennessee decided to schedule differently.
Speaker 2: And look, the SEC. Nobody would ever tell you.
Speaker 1: I guess somebody would try to argue, But like, I don't believe that the SEC is not the best league in college football. It always has been. I think it always will be, just based off of just the depth and the old like they're their top is better than most In fact, their top is better than everybody in most instances, meaning year in and year out, you take the three best teams from the SEC, they're probably going to be better than the three best from anywhere else. And I think the depth is better in the SEC more often than not. But what it gets me is that they don't really do anything to prove that, like I believe it, but like they've in. Last year was not a good year for the SEC to get the benefit of doubt because in the non conference they did not have They didn't have a lot of success, and maybe the portal has changed it to where maybe they're just not, as you know, dominant against other leagues like they.
Speaker 4: Used to be.
Speaker 1: But I think they they still they still play eight games, won't go to nine, which the AEC does the same thing. So I guess I'm gonna be critical. I should be consistent, you know, I wish the ACC went to nine, like I wish Louisville instead of playing EKU they had another ACC opponent. But anyways, the SEC still lives in the mindset of like, well come on now, like I know, like to give you the old Shane Beemer and uh and uh Lane Kiffin last year. Right, you can't tell me we're not one of the it doesn't. Yeah, you can tell and tell you whatever, I tell you, whatever you want. You didn't actually get results that will put you in the playoff, and you wanting to get in just based off the fact that you're a solid team in a league that is probably the best, but you view it as like the NFL compared to the rest of college football, Like that's not enough to get you in and it never will be. So like playing games like this could help you. And there are some teams in the SEC that will schedule really really tough, and then there's some teams that'll play an eight game schedule and then they'll play you know, maybe one decent team out of conference, and then a bunch of nobody's And by the way, that's probably going to continue to be the case for most like you're This year, Louisville football has eight home games, which I believe is the I mean, it's the first time it's ever happened where they've had eight, and I'm sure that won't happen every year. But you're gonna want as many home games as possible.
Speaker 2: You will try to get to.
Speaker 1: Eight if you can, because you know, money, you need as much money as possible. Now because of the house settlement, you're gonna have to start sharing revenue. And anytime you open up those gates on a Saturday in the fall, it's a big, big payday. And last I check, people like big big paydays. Or we're gonna get to a break coming up here in just a moment. But I do want to talk really quickly about the news the Kentucky basketball got last night. They lost one of their top rated incoming freshman's a Kayden Lewis. And I mean, I don't think he's the highest rated commit, but certainly a really good recruit, top twenty five player overall. And you know, I wish I could just you know, make fun of Mark Pope and point to this as something that is maybe a sign of him not being able to you know, recruit as well as needed at a place like Kentucky, But I really don't. I mean, I think this will actually end up being a beneficial thing for Kentucky. I do, because you know, maybe they don't go out and get somebody that is ready to play that can really help them but there's a chance you could go get a you know, a solid guard that has decent production from another Power five school, and he will be better than what a Kate and Lewis might have been as a freshman. You know, well you know that's you never know, but kids that are ranked twenty five to thirty two where he is, sometimes they end up being really really good, and sometimes they end up you know, playing eleven minutes a game because the rest of the guys on your team that are twenty three years old, those guys are clearly.
Speaker 2: In a better position to help you win.
Speaker 1: So where I think this could help them as it frees up some in ail money, I suppose. But also, you know, if you're a veteran guard and you're in the portal and you know they've got not only Otaga away coming back, they've got Jasper Johnson, a five star guard coming in, and then they had another four star guard to Kan Lewis coming in, and you know, now this kid's not coming, like you see a bigger opportunity there because you're not adding a you know, a high level guard.
Speaker 2: As a freshman.
Speaker 1: So I hate to say it, but like I I guess the optics aren't great, right, but who cares about that? Like this will probably be a beneficial thing for Kentucky for the upcoming season. And that's again, it's just that's where we if you can still get value when you go young, you can still you know, find freshmen that can play a role and help you to an extent.
Speaker 2: But the proof is there, you're.
Speaker 1: Better off to build with more experience and veterans and then kind of sprinkle in your freshmen that can just you know, that can help you here and there. Now you're gonna have some special freshmen that are going to play a ton that are going to be really good for you. And I'm hoping that's what Michael Brown is this year for Louisville.
Speaker 2: All right, quick break. Brian brom joins us on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Friday afternoon as we get you set for the weekend and also get your set for the spring game for the Louisville football program that I am joining us to talk about that, among among other things, is Louisville former level quarterback offensive coordinator currently Brian brom Brian, how are we doing, brother?
Speaker 4: I'm doing doing good? Looking forward too the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'll start by it sounds like there was really no consideration for this program to consider not having a spring game. I know that's happened elsewhere. And I know you can't speak for anybody but yourself, but you know, obviously you've been in this industry for a long time.
Speaker 2: You have peers, you have contacts.
Speaker 1: What would you say is the biggest reason as to why some of those programs would want to do that?
Speaker 2: Is it because they're worried.
Speaker 1: About players post, worried about egos getting hurt, because maybe these guys who transferred in aren't where they need to be on the depth chart. Again, I know you guys aren't going to do it, but it's just a surprise to me that you're seeing this thing kind of just not be a thing anymore at some programs.
Speaker 4: I think there's too that I think. I think, you know, obviously, not getting players post and not letting your opponents be able to get a glimpse at what you're going to look like come come fall, because we will will study. You know, in the past, we study the spring games that people put on TV and make sure that we see the personnel and what they're running. So that does get studied. So some coaches get paranoid about that. And then you know the injury thing sometimes, you know, everyone wants to get through the spring healthiest, probably the biggest thing. You don't want to get your guys hurt. So that's probably one of the reasons that the teams are shying away from that as well.
Speaker 1: I wasn't planning on asking you, but you said the word which opened the door is college football coaching?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it true that it is a paranoid profession? Seems like it is, but you you would know better than me.
Speaker 4: Uh. Yes, I think a lot of coaches are very parannoyed about people stealing their stuff, stealing their signal, stealing what they're doing, getting the edge, and we're all working to try to get an edge. Yeah, the way we can so at some at some points it's justifiable. You know, we do so much on offense. Uh sometimes I tell you guys, I say, hey, I probably can answer my call sheet and you wouldn't really know what we're doing. So good luck figuring that out because we do a lot, so we don't worry about it too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I feel like it'd be a little more difficult when it comes to that with with the system that you guys run. But for tonight's game, I mean, is as far as formatter, we expected to have just a typical type of spring game, four quarters competitive rosters. I mean, you guys maybe planning to make some adjustments on the go just to kind of get some different looks. What's the plan for tonight as far as what fans can.
Speaker 4: Expect, It's going to be very similar to what we have done in the past. So we're gonna go ones on good, on good, ones, on one, twos, on two threes, on threes. You won't see much tackling, if any tackling. Uh So it'll be thud, which means that the defender has to get to the ball carrier and and and give them a little something without taking them to the ground. Uh So the ball will beat down when when that occurs. But you're gonna see you're gonna see all our players, all the best players. We're gonna be competitive. Uh there's a scoring system for the it's offense first defense. So uh, there's a scoring system for the defense to get some points and make it a competitive matchup, to to really have some fun out there and see these guys in some live action, see them in a competitive environment where the coaches aren't out there telling them what to do, seeing them when they get out there in front of fans in the stadium.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Sometimes when the lights come on, some guys play better, some guys play worse. It's good to know that going into the lost season, how they're going to react well.
Speaker 1: With the with the new world we're in with rosters, you know, turning over much more so than they used to. They'll be a lot of guys tonight playing in front of fans here at Louisville for the first time. One of them will be your new quarterback, Miller Moss. I'll go back to a couple of years ago. I guess it hasn't been quite that long, but two seasons ago. I'm sure there was no thought in your mind that whenever he was having a hell of a game against you guys in that Bowl game, that he would now be the guy kind of running the show for you guys.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't, you know, Yeah, that was It wasn't fun to be on the other end of that, But it's good to have him here. He's he's super smart, very intelligent. He throws a really pretty ball, very catchable football, and he gets the ball out on time. So very excited about him. He's been he's been tremendous for spring so far. He's done a great job of understanding the offense. He's a football junkie. He wants to watch film all the time. He's he's grabbing me for extra filmwork pretty much every single day. So he's done a great job of coming in, digesting the offense, learning it all, and then being able to go out and execute it on the field. So really excited about him, and really excited for the fans to kind of get a close of him in our uniform instead of in the opponents.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I know, you know, you guys would keep a guy forever if he has eligibility and he wants to stay and he can have success for you guys. But obviously that's just not as common anymore. And I remember during the Notre Dame game, it was the broadcast, I remember Jason Garrett had mentioned that I guess in conversation with your brother Jeff that that you know he really wasn't against having to go get another and I shouldn't even say having but like the ability to go get a veteran that has played high level college football. I think a lot of coaches they want to keep the same guy as long as they can, and sure you will if you can.
Speaker 2: But I don't get the sense.
Speaker 1: That you guys as a staff are are worried about bringing in somebody, even if it's only for a year. Clearly last season, even the season before that, it's it's been pretty successful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you try to adapt to whatever the rules are at the time. So you know, obviously we want to get the best recruiter here that we possibly can and develop those guys to be great players and get them on the field, and at the same time, we want to win now. We we've always kind of carried that m O going into every season that we want to win this season. We're not not as concerned about just getting guys in to get them ready for the upcoming years. We want to win now. So a lot of times, you know, there's good options out there in the portal. There are it seems like every year so far, there've been quite a quite a few good quarterbacks that get out there and are are in the open market. So each year we're just trying to put the best team out there that we can find the best quarterback that we can And yes, if we if we get a young guy that does a great job and carry this thing for multiple years, that would be phenomenal. We would love that. But a lot of times in this game it's about opportunity. Sometimes guys get that opportunity early, whether it be through bad play or injury or whatever it may be. Maybe we knock on Wood, have not had to dive into our depth chart very far the first two years. Hopefully it continues that way, keep our starter healthy and keep them off the ground and those type of things, but we definitely got to be prepared if we need to dive into the depth as well.
Speaker 1: Brian brom Is our guests joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety getting separate tonight's Louisville football spring game. Last year's quarterback Tyler Shuck, he was he was pretty damn good, and he's getting a lot of a lot of buzz right now leading up to the NFL Draft. Obviously, you spent time in the NFL, you played the game, your quarterback yourself, I know you were. You guys have had been impressed with with with Shucks since since he arrived, and obviously he had a really good season. But did you expect him to kind of wow NFL personnel the way he has. I mean, there's a chance he could be taken really pretty early in this draft, which I don't think any Loisville fan that watched would be surprised that he's good. I mean, we saw with our own eyes, but it just seemed like the buzz really kind of came out of nowhere and it continues to be growing.
Speaker 4: It seems yeah, I mean I am not surprised. I think his talent is evident if you just if you watch him as stature, the way he throws the football, the way he moves, and then when you get to talk to him and see how smart he is, how articulate he is, what a great leader he is. He just has he really checks all the boxes. He has all the attributes you want in a franchise quarterback. So I would not be surprised to see him taking in the first round. I think he is a first round talent for sure. You know that the knocks on him would be the injury history. And sure he's a little bit older, so that might push him down a little bit. But I think he's as good as anybody out there. And I think once the evaluators start seeing him in person and start watching the film, they're all seeing that as well.
Speaker 1: I'm not a body language expert, and obviously I've never I've never played the quarterback position, but one thing that stood out to me, I want to get your thoughts on about him and also good to me, he seemed just very sure of himself. Right, you could tell there was a confidence that was infectious. But it wasn't because of any type of you know, arrogance or I mean, he seemed calm and cool, but you could just tell he trusted his arm and made some big plays and it just seemed like that. I mean, again, I've never played the position myself, but it seemed like that. Really, really, they can really boost your offense with everybody.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it is super calm. I mean, just the maturity level that he had. Obviously he's a seven year player, but with all the types of experiences that he has had, he'd been through so many different things. I think that built your character, built your confidence. He was very sure of himself. You know, he went to Oregon, he was in quarterback battles. He won quarterback battles, he lost quarterback battles. He went to Tech when he played for multiple coaches. You know at Tech had the injury bug. He had to keep fighting through that, keep fighting through that. I think when you experience all those things, you mature as a person, mature as a quarterback. That confidence is going to show in the field now. I think it did last season, and that's why he was able to be so successful.
Speaker 1: You've already mentioned it, and I'm sure it's not something that people are surprised to hear, but hey, we want to win now that I like that motto, and it's I mean, you guys have been winning since you showed up a couple of years ago. I don't see that stopping anytime now. But usually that's a pitch to transfers, and you know, obviously freshmen as well, but freshman making a big impact in year one. It still happens, but it's just really it's never been super common. But you had two freshman running backs on your offense last year that were insane. I mean, Isaac Brown Duke Watson, two of the best, maybe the two best freshman running backs in the country. Certainly in the conversation, you played alongside some really really good running backs. Tell me a little bit about these guys, and really they're upside because, I mean, if they just come back and have the same production the same season they had a year ago, that would be phenomenal. But these guys, I mean they're still nineteen years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're really good. I mean they both are obviously a little bit on the smaller side of your running back frame, but both got really great speed. Isaac is got that home run hitting speeding time to give them the ball, just know that it can possibly squeeze through there for a huge play. So it's just so fun to watch him run. I think Duke is a little bit age loser than tight spaces. He has a little more wiggle and he's phenomenal as well. So we're we're blessed. You know, getting those that makes the quarterbacks job easier, It makes the play colors job easier, it makes everybody's job easier. We can hand it to these two guys and let them run the football and go get yards in ways where you don't have to really out scheme everybody. You just give it to your best player and players and let them go go get the yards. So we're blessed to.
Speaker 1: Have those two a couple of quick questions and we'll let you go out and you've got to get ready for tonight's game. But when it comes to recruiting players and now the Nile component being a factor, sometimes it's a big factor. I mean, who knows, maybe, I mean might be the most important factor for most players. That wouldn't really shock me when you consider it. But is there something about the recruiting process now in this new world that is a challenge, an obstacle that maybe average fans would never guess, like something that that you you guys run into that not to say it's you know, it's something you can't overcome, but just a part of this that maybe we don't realize that that is a new component to how you can sell this program and get them here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think the the challenge in recruiting now is is more of the the nil aspect. Every you know, the agent aspect.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, agents, that's what I assumed all the guys, all the guys that are in their ears that are telling them they can get this and they can get that.
Speaker 4: And then as coaches trying to trying to be able to decipher.
Speaker 2: You know, what is true or what is yeah, who's genuine who's not, you start to he started to.
Speaker 4: Get all these different ideas, and guys will tell you that they're being told this and that and how much they can get here and there, and you know, you just gotta It's it's hard to try to figure out exactly what's real what's not. And the more you just talk to the kids and get to know them and just build that relatelationship, you can start to figure out what's true and what isn't and and decipher all that. But it is, it is more of a challenge this day and age. And it was just a few years ago.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like being able to have a relationship, being able to connect with players has It's always been important, but man, never more important than now, because these guys can just up and leave and if they've got a good connection, a good a good back and forth and they trust you, I mean, they can still leave. But you know, nowadays, I just I think that's the ways of the ways of coaching guys back in the day. I mean, I just feel like it it could still work for you, but it's also going to be It's just it's just so much different. But last question I'll have for you, Brian before we let you go. I know you've you've been an assistant coach now for for quite some time. You went from from playing the game for your your whole life to now coaching it. You'd be doing it for a while, have you, I know, the head coach head coaching opportunities have come up. I know there's been some interest in you in that role. Elsewhere are you I know that's not your focus right now as we speak, but I mean, is that something that you've kind of always wanted to do? Is it something and you're still considering, Like maybe if the right opportunity comes, just tell me a little bit about sort of your you know, where you see yourself down the line in this profession.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think if the right opportunity presents itself, then that's definitely something to talk about. You know. Right now, I'm really happy where I'm at. Really focused on the University of Louisville, being in the hometown, being at the school I play that, and trying to go do great things here Today I am. I'm very happy where I am, but saying that, there's always opportunities that are gonna come up. Being a head coach is something that I would like to do at some point with the right opportunity. So we'll see how that all plays out. But right now, man, I'm so excited to be here and so excited about this season right now, chopping at the bit really to get the game won.
Speaker 1: Brian, appreciate the time. I know you got to get going and get ready for tonight's spring game. We'll see out there at Ellen N Cardinals Stadium. And again, big thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Here, all right, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That's Brian brom former lout of a quarterback, current Louisville OC. I don't I mean like I feel feel awkward having to. I mean, I don't need to tell you guys who Brian bromis. We all know who Brian Brom is. And yeah, I know that there has been some interest in him at becoming. When I say interest, I mean schools that were interested in hiring him. I don't know what the process actually looked like and how it played out, but he got to think is eventually he'll get an opportunity. And look, he's probably turned down some opportunities. I don't know that for certain, but it wouldn't shock me considering you know that he's as he said, he's in his hometown. He's he's playing I'm sorry, he's coaching for his brother. They're having success, so it's not something that he's probably looking to leave. But he would think if they continue to have success around here, there'll be hopefully an opportunity that he would want to pursue. I mean, I don't want to lose him, but I mean, who knows, maybe maybe he ends up going elsewhere in many years down the line, because I don't see Jeff stepping away anytime soon. Maybe maybe Brian comes back and he takes over. I mean, the Rus really are like the first family of Louisville football in a way that like, I'm not sure you really ever see that anywhere else, do you. I mean, and here's something that somebody brought up the other day. I was talking to one of my friends, big Louisville fan, who We were just talking about how excited we are about this upcoming season because you know, so far, so good with Jeff Brum, and there's a chance this team, with the offensive firepower they have, and if Miller Moss is as good as advertised, as good as see us when we played him a couple of years ago, this could be a special season once again. But there was never really any fear of like, well, I don't know, do we want to bring the guy home? We love him so much, and if it doesn't work out, there's really no way to kind of like ever, like, if it didn't work out and they had to make a move, it probably wouldn't never be nasty because Jeff not only as a legend here, this is his home. I mean, I would hope it wouldn't be nasty, but like you would always be something twenty years down the line if he was canned eighteen years ago and you think back to him, there's a lot of layers to it, but you probably like, man, I hate that that happened because I love him, But man, we had to make a move, Like I don't think any Louisville fans ever thought about that, because we just had so much faith and confidence that this guy. I mean, who knows if you win a national championship here, like like the Pipe said, you know we were destined to do.
Speaker 2: But I mean you knew he was a lot better than the guy you had previously. And you know he gets it. He gets it.
Speaker 1: I mean seeing him at all of the Louisville basketball games, him and his son Brady. I mean, we're pretty lucky to have to have Brom home, not only because of the obvious success that's had that's been had, but you know, like we have to worry. We don't have to worry about it. Like does he get us? Does he understand Louisville football? No, he is Louisville football. His family is Louivell football. Austin, at your age, you had to be geeking out, dude, with Brian Brom on the line. I saw you in there chatting with him. You saw you saw that, I saw you in there.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: It made me happy because I know, like you know, it's one of the things I love working with you, but I also love that you're You're a crazy lunatic Louisville fan like me.
Speaker 5: That was the first team I fell in love with was that two thousand and six team, and then first time crying to a game was Rutgers, and I remember coming. It was painful, it was bad. I remember coming the very next year to the Louisville media day. It was Cragthorpe's first year and I stood in the quarterbacks line to get my poster signed for hours just to meet Brian Brahm, and I told him, please please beat Rutgers.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I tell you what I know we got to get.
Speaker 1: But Brian talk about the nil money he could have gotten in that. I mean, in fact, we brought it up last time he was on the show and he kind of laughed, and I got the sense he didn't really.
Speaker 2: I mean, he wasn't he.
Speaker 1: Wasn't irritated by the question, but like your damn right, he's probably thought about that, and I'm sure he's doing well now.
Speaker 2: But like he was, Louisville's own.
Speaker 1: You know, you're coming back after going to a Sugar to an Orange Bowl and winning Heisman candidate, and at that time Louisville was, I mean, Louisville was rolling athletically as far as the athletics department with Tom Jurich and whatnot. So yeah, a big, big, big big thanks to Brian for joining us and he've locked right here. It's coffee and Company. Fiel about Thornton's on Sportstock seven ninety st