Speaker 1: B I in Peace and War another great story based on perfect Colors copyrighted book BI and Peace and War. Drummer Bill's Action, The Night Story, The wind Fall.
Speaker 2: Martian Prentice, Good morning, just one moment, please our connect you.
Speaker 3: With the legal department.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, mister Marsham, Well, yes he is, but he's busy right now. And if you've come about that new position, it's taken. I'm sorry, he's not about any new position. Just tell mister marsh is the personal call?
Speaker 3: What if the person.
Speaker 2: Oh, mister lady right away, Yes, I'll take care of it now. If this young lady isn't here about the new position, mister marsh it's a personal.
Speaker 1: Call, she says, Oh you want to see miss Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there some place we can talk private?
Speaker 1: Well, I heard is here at the moment. If you could tell my secretary we got to make a.
Speaker 2: Private mister marsh it's about the Alexander Nevin Construction Company.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid I don't understand well Alexander Nevin Construction comany.
Speaker 3: We must have read about it in the papers.
Speaker 2: Well, the government's investigating the company's past activities, and mister Nevin himself is being questioned by the Senate Banking Committee.
Speaker 1: Well, of course I read about.
Speaker 3: That, mister Marsh.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be so nice if somebody was to inform the government that a former state housing official had accepted a fifty thousand dollars see from Nevin Construction.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'd better go into my private opposite said, more comfortable than standing.
Speaker 3: Here, mister Marsh, after you?
Speaker 1: Now, who are you and what do you want?
Speaker 2: Names Wiggott, Francis Wiggett. I was the neven secretary before all this scandal broke. I'm aut one thousand dollars in cash. You have till noon to get it, and I'll give you my address where to have it delivered.
Speaker 1: What I need one.
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars, mister Marsh until well till I find a new job. Anyway, A thousand dollars that should only be a drop in the bucket through a man like you. Besides that, fifty thousand dollars see you all I knows, Mars?
Speaker 3: Please, who are we kidding?
Speaker 2: Everything I'm saying is written down the little Black Book of mister Evans that I managed to keep anybody.
Speaker 3: Else from find.
Speaker 1: But I'll tell you what's the address.
Speaker 3: Where they delivered the money?
Speaker 2: Thousand dollars cash, and mister marsh if the money isn't there, by say one o'clock today. The government will get a real juicy piece of information by say one o'clock tomorrow.
Speaker 1: During the early post war years, millions of dollars were made in so called windfall profits on housing projects financed on government insured loans. The windfalls resulted from the fact that the mortgage loans were in excess of costs, and rents were scaled through the loan and not to the costs. Although most contractors acted with complete propriety and within the legal frames, an inquiry was begun into certain alleged frauds and into various fees paid out by individuals representing specific plans, and Alexander Nevin, having completed his second day of testifying, was ordered to produce books, and his attorney asked for recess of one week and order to say, now you're just making yourself secreating that stuff. Will they'll ever get anything out of alex Nevin? Never? He's too smart for them, Joe, will you wait and see it. He'll make them look like monkeys with a smart lawyer like oh and Shaver to advise him out don't talk like a full This isn't small time stuff. This is the federal government, all right? So it is federal they know different from anyone else. I happened around Washington. Haven't set down, Joe, don't get it much? So so different? Will you tell me? I don't know. Let's not hash it over anymore today. Well we better get back to work. Alex won't name me. He wouldn't say anything about me. You don't think he named.
Speaker 4: Me, do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Joe. Look at the end of me, everything I've worked for couldn't take it. Isn't it a little late for spilt milk? But I warned you at the time not to play ball with never d you know what you were getting into? Sure I did. It's a lot of other guys. I wasn't the only one. I didn't say you were. Everybody else was on the gravy team. What was wrong with me? Get in mind? Listen, I could name some pig of names of mind and the stake. We've been over this before. Yeah, Well, I don't remember you turning down the money that I put in the frame. I don't remember you minding the new business had brought him and I'm going back to my office, Joe, not jud stay for just love Joe. What am I going to do with? What am I going to do if he names me? I've already told you what I thought you should do, but I can't well the book at me. You know that Hey might anyway, But if you go to the FBI and tell him the full start, I couldn't be not only for me, but you think what would happened to the office. I have thought of that, and I'd still rather Oh, I'm sorry, I just couldn't do it. I'll get out of this some way. I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a call from mister Marsh.
Speaker 2: Mister princess.
Speaker 3: Is he with you?
Speaker 1: Yes? Here is my sund that's the moment go off of you, Joe. Then do you want to take it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hello, one second, mister Marsh, go ahead please, I'll oh, mister Marsh, this is the young lady was going to see about some money.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you remember me, all.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, yes, I certainly do.
Speaker 5: You remember the address you send some money too?
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: This about it, mister Marsh. And there's a ah right downstairs at that of dress. I want you to meet me there tonight nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 5: Talk to you, mister marsh You'll meet me at nine. Like I said, I'll be waiting.
Speaker 6: This land is land, This land island, This land was made.
Speaker 7: H Paris in the stream, the cardinal whistling joyously as he builds his nest in the bush, or Cairo in the fall when the temperature is dropped below scorching far away places.
Speaker 3: The strange sounding name.
Speaker 7: Nope, I'm speaking of Illinois, the land of Lincoln. Oddly enough, though Illinois is sometimes referred to as Egypt because the fertility of the soil in and the wrong Cairo or Cairo giving it, the Illinois pronunciation resembles that of its Egyptian namesake, but there the similarity ends. Riding the rock Island line is considerably more comfortable than riding a camel, and the IgA stores the lonely grain elevators, the oak groves, the signs saying Edmu's cathay and claver girl and chew mail pouch are familiar to us in a way the Pyramids could never be. Oh, not that Illinois is lacking in the exotics. Chicago is testimony to that. But Illinois home not only of Lincoln, but of Grant and Clarence Darrow and Carl Sandberg and Ziegfeld and Montgomery Ward and Allan, the original pinkaton man, his home to us. All so reflective is it of our great nations celebrated in word and song? Illinois is indeed.
Speaker 3: A sovereign state, mister Evan.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are two gentlemen here to see you, sir, from the FBI.
Speaker 1: So, gentlemen, what can I do for you? Oh? Either one of your care for a cigar? No? Thanks? You eat it, mister Renolds, No, you would? You don't mind if I do? Go right ahead? Thank you. You know nothing like accomforting smoke when you're being drilled by the FTI that's not a friendly word, mister Nevin. Grilled. Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know this call was social. It isn't. But you're not obligated to answer anything you don't want to. But why shouldn't I answer? My life is an open book. Uh, you're in a bad spot, mister Nevin. Who are you kidding? You know it as well as we do. No, I don't know it. If I'm in a bad spot, why are you fellows over here fishing around? We're just curious, that's all. A week's a lot of time to gather your books. We're just wondering if they're going to prove as open as you claim your life is. But why shouldn't they be. I run a legitimate business. I always have, so I make money, a lot of money. What's wrong about that? Not a thing, so long as you make it within the law. I've got more brains on the next guy, that's all, and more connections. Look, mister Stevens, you're wasting your time and mine. Maybe, mister Nevin, maybe not. We're also wondering about your past relations with a former State Housing Administration officer. I don't have relations with state officials past or present. I wouldn't even know their names if you mentioned them. How about the name Joseph marsh He was headman around the time you secured your company loan? Was he? I wouldn't know. You can make things easier all around if you cooperate with us. Easier for you, gentlemen, or for me, you know what we mean. I'm not sure I do. Mister Nevin, you recognize this check? Where did you get that it's for fifty thousand dollars made out cash. You want to look at the date. Where did you get that check? Does it matter?
Speaker 4: We got it?
Speaker 1: One day after the fifty thousand was drawn. A deposit of the same amount was made at the Second National Bank in the name of John Morris, John Morris j M. And that couldn't be a fictitious name for Joseph Marsh, could it. Mister Nevin, gentlemen, I'm going to give you a free piece of advice. The state's attorney tried to pend something on me a couple of years back. He got nowhere fast. Now the government's find the same act and they'll end up the same place nowhere.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You've got friends in high places, not the idea. Maybe I've got friends, I've got money. I've got a lawyer who knows his way around the committee room. That's a pretty tough combination to crack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's better. I like sweet music with my beer. Got a drink for you, Joe couldn't mind if I tay Joe? Do you, mister Morris? It seems so formal? Okay?
Speaker 2: If I help myself on your cigarette?
Speaker 1: Look what did you get me over? Here for If it's yes, if it's more money.
Speaker 3: Money and a lot more, you and I are making a deal. Joe, you better have another drink. Get braced for it.
Speaker 1: I gave you a thousand dollars work more?
Speaker 3: Do you want another beer?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 1: Or another beer?
Speaker 3: I'm not made of money, you know, I know, I may lots of other things. I like, you've got class. What's you know a lot of nice people?
Speaker 1: Now, let's I brought an envelope along with me. There's fifteen hundred dollars in this envelope. I'm going to give it to you, but not one more cent. When I walk out of this place tonight. I never want to see or hear from you again.
Speaker 3: Oh it's too dead. I got other ideas.
Speaker 1: I'll forget them.
Speaker 3: Huh uh, you forget yours? I got you behind gate bold, Joe? Or have you forgotten?
Speaker 1: How much do you want?
Speaker 3: M I'll come to that in a minute. You're not married, are you what?
Speaker 2: Your wife died five years ago, didn't you? What about it bad for a man to live alone?
Speaker 1: Jokes?
Speaker 3: Nothing like a woman around the house to keep the man happy.
Speaker 1: It's nice to know your opinion, but I'll worry about my private life.
Speaker 3: Oh you no joke now, and you can relax. It's my word. Huh, this is Joseph smash. That sounds real nice. I'll be a good wife, teacher.
Speaker 1: You what be a good wife?
Speaker 3: Always one to settle down.
Speaker 2: But no, guy, I knew about a quarter when you worked all your life like me?
Speaker 1: You what if you're a mind?
Speaker 3: H I'm smart.
Speaker 2: The where you live at something my wife and goes, oh, nothing, no mink.
Speaker 7: Some rabbit.
Speaker 1: You really think i'd marry I don't think. I know, well, crazy idea, crazy or not.
Speaker 3: You're going to go through with it. Maybe I'm no Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 2: But I'm better than a ten year stretch any day. And a wife can't be forced to testify against your husband.
Speaker 3: Don't forget that You'll marry Joe. You will.
Speaker 1: I want to see the shape. Let's see your name is match, Joseph, tell him it's important. Well, there we are, Joe. The bishop has the king in check. Two moves are possible, three and the game would be all and for the love of people. When you stop trying with that and listen, tying you don't know CHESSMI, go on, go on, I'm listening. Well, I asked you a question. What's your answer? What's yours? Or better, what was yours? To the lady? You want to quote if it will stop you from wearing a hole in the carpet. My answer was that I wouldn't marry her. She was the last woman on earth. That's our Joe is the diplomat. Why don't you expect me the same? Just what you did. Of course, almost anybody else would have said, give me a little time, let me think it over. Well, I did say that too. She wouldn't take no for an answer, and I wanted to still learn until I saw you. Uh huh oh, Joe which one of the secretaries. While she a brunette with a cute nose. No, no, this girl's bleached blonde with a kind of broad, square face, Francis Legott, leg it sort of washed out, looking homely, and she wants to marry you and live the high life. Oh and how long did she give you to think it over? Joe? Tomorrow Friday, the ladies, Oh and you don't buy any chance planned to go through with it. You should have been a comic, not a lawyer, just asking, well, we'll just have to get that little Black Book from the Young Lady Joe. Without that book, she can't do much damage. Yeah, that's right, I'd be in the clear. But I am not only thinking of you. No, No, it's very considered opinion that such a book and such obviously wrong hands could become very dangerous, even disastrous. There are a lot of other names in the book beside Joe Marsh What what if she doesn't have it with it? Well, I mean, if you search your apartment is looking about me? You don't think i'd do the job myself. Well, one thing about being in this business, Joe One has connections. Miss does Gedrudy Kalman for me? Let me know when he's on. By tomorrow morning, the little book will be in our hands. Joe, Yeah, guarantee goes with it. All this takes the sound manipulation. Well, I still say, well, if she doesn't have it around, that's right. You don't play chess. What it's a great teacher. Joe One can learn the very move that might save his neck. Why don't you talk so somebody can understand? All right here it is so you can understand Rudy's brain isn't as big as his body. But it's absolutely one track. I've known him to be the man senseless just because the poor snap held out on a small numbers payment. Now if the book shouldn't be in miss Leggett's apartment, Oh but well does he have to. Don't be screamish. You can't afford that luxury. You've been on the polite side of the fence so long you've forgotten how the strings.
Speaker 6: Get pulled manipulation exactly like chess.
Speaker 1: This land is your land, this land is bland. This land was paid for you.
Speaker 7: Hawaii was a state of mind long before it became a state of the Union, and let's get away from it all places where soft spoken maidens soothed the fevered brawl with lovely hula, Hans Skiller, young man roads, surfboards. To day, annexation has changed our image of the islands, but it hasn't changed the islands. Cowboys ride the range just as they do in the Southwest, but at Hawaii's Parker Ranch, their pontiolas and their stetsons are ringed with lays historical landmarks, not the landscape, just as a long route sixty six, but there is somehow more unique. Molokai's primitive Cakuloa village and sacred groves of kookie trees, the sight on Kawaii of Captain Cook's first island landing and Hawaii's first sugar mills. This paradise of the Pacific is almost too good to be true, with its black sand beaches and golden waterfalls, flowers vibrant with real living colors. Yes, Hawaii alone among our states, combines modern cosmopolitan living with south sea island lollings, offering the best of both worlds, the real ones where we work and buy insurance and rear children, and the dream world where life goes on without a care.
Speaker 1: Steven speaking Steve, this is Reynolds. I'm in a cigar store across from home in Shaver's office. Rudy Kalvin just left the building. Douglas and Mills are following. Keep your Lyne clear, I'll be in touch. Go ahead, Dave. I'm calling my.
Speaker 4: Drug store on Third Street and Avenue l Roody Kalvin just entered a walk up over a bar and listen to this. One of the walk up tenants is Francis Liggett, Nevin's former secretary.
Speaker 1: You better get over here fast, okay, Douglas. You'll cover the rear entrance. Mills will cover the front. Dave, you stay here in the car with Ruody. Calvin, give me ten minutes in Marsh's office. If I don't come out by then come in and see why.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Rudy Kalman is here, sir.
Speaker 1: Oh all all right, miss how will you? Yeah? Sure? Thanks, come on in, Calvin. You are have a chair, help yourself this month? Okay, only I can't stay long. I just take my dough and get out. You'll get your money just as soon as I get the black book. This she got it? What does it look like? Down? Not so fair? I set you to get your money. So there that envelope on the desk, to geez, why don't you count it? And maybe you can't count. I'll take your word and I'll take that little black book. Now. Thanks, it's all you know, it's mister the right one. Yeah, this is it?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: FA?
Speaker 1: What about the girl? Was she home? She was home? She gave you trouble? Oh, body gives me trouble. She gave you plenty though, hu. Yeah, she had you over a barrel, all right? Perhaps perhaps not? No, perhaps she had you she told me. But what do you mean she told you? That bribe? You got melevin character? So all in that book I had little Floosy would talk. I should have known she's spilled plenty before she passed out, even though A buy some other deals. You all right, all right, you won't pay for that. Just see you keep your mouth shut. That's hey, take it easy. I don't like guys talking to me that. I don't like guys when I was around other people's business.
Speaker 2: Did your shavers here?
Speaker 1: Now here? Go ride and see? Thank you? Hello, Joe, I have Rudy beat me to it. I didn't think you'd get here so far. Yeah, yeah, he got here and he's on his way out. Well, don't let him go. Yeah, there's the paper I wanted to die. Where's Rudy all right there in that chair? What's the matter? N Who are you anyway? Joe? This isn't Rudy Calman. What I'm afraid? The man's right, marsh I'm not Rudy Calman. My name is Stevens, Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 3: What you idiot, Joe?
Speaker 1: Your stupid idiot? How was I to know?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Hardly matters? Now you're both coming with me. Well, where a man in your position, Shaver certainly shouldn't. Marsiha wouldn't try that if I were you. We're not going with you. You say where you are? I mean it, Make one movement, will be go less and I are going through that door and nobody's stopping us. They never put us behind bus. I've carried this kind of out of it since that the legoid creature first spoke to me. You won't get out that door, marw I'll try to stop me. I'm warning you know. Come on, I'll get you out of this. How about the door shut? The gun doo, drop it, drop it? Okay, Dave. But then a sense from mister Shaper everything is fine. Okay. I'll take a look at Marsha's armlow it's got quite a workout. Oh yes, what did you just stop me for? What was the idea? The idea was common sense. You were making a bonehead play NHS player could tell you that, Oh, both of you. Let's go on the advice of his counsel, Joseph Marsh became a witness for the government, exposing the whole corrupt story of the Alexander Nevin operation. Francis Liggett reluctantly corroborated his testimony. The investigating committee made recommendations, which a grand jury accepted, quickly indicting Nevin Owen Shaver, and Joseph Marsh himself. In a subsequent trial, all three were convicted, Nevin's and Shaver receiving terms of ten years each, Marsh the lesser term of six years. With these convictions, our files were closed on the Windfall. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and television service
Speaker 6: Of the