Speaker 1: Full trial audio.
Speaker 2: Everything hurt in court, no silences to skip. Good morning, you're on America.
Speaker 3: Yes, please?
Speaker 2: Today we have all right.
Speaker 4: Well, good morning council, morning, Miss Clancy.
Speaker 3: All right, a ca se council side by.
Speaker 5: Please, hey, hey all Russon is having anything to do for the AUDI?
Speaker 2: Will you result just the spirit then you shall be heard of Massachusetts. This is down session.
Speaker 3: Please be seated.
Speaker 6: Good morning, you're on americacy, yes, please want to be for the court. Today we have the continuation of the Germany trial in the matter of commwealth for us as Lindsay Clancy. Miss Clancy is present. She is represented by Attorney Kevin Ruddington. The Karmawealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Sprague, an assistant district attorney she had.
Speaker 2: At lacking hand.
Speaker 7: Well, good morning, everyone finds out today a little nicer weather for us.
Speaker 4: Open was nice if you're coming in here today.
Speaker 7: So what I'm going to do is ask you those questions as I always do, and then I'll go over a little bit the schedule and then we'll return to the Cormwall's case. All right, So the first question, it's probably got to memorized by now anyway, But let me ask it, as any member of the jury red scene heard or overheard anything from any source about any aspect of this case, it would affect your ability to be fair and impartial. Last question, is there any other matter, a serious matter or concern bearing on your service as adjur in this case that anybody needs to bring my attention this time?
Speaker 4: Again, thank you for following those instructions.
Speaker 7: Now in regards to the schedule, if you remember, I said yesterday that sometimes we have to adjust on the fly, and that's going to be my call. Well, we may have to do that a little bit, all right, So today we're going to go through some cases up. We may break a little bit early today, all right, and now and then tomorrow, Uh, there is a matter I'm gonna have to talk to counsel pretty much in that in the afternoon. So the thought is tomorrow the plan for you should be uh pretty much nine to one, all right, and then the afternoon I'm gonna deal with counsel in regards to some other issues that will I believe I keep this case going, uh well on track, and that's kind of where we are.
Speaker 4: So I just kind of wanted to give you that update.
Speaker 7: So that's, like I said, the best we could do give you as much notice in regards to that.
Speaker 4: But if we will, you will not. I say, wait, you will not be sitting here tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 3: We may be uh and so.
Speaker 4: Uh So with that we're gonna do is continue with the Camwell's case.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go back.
Speaker 4: Uh come up, call you next witness.
Speaker 3: Please thank you.
Speaker 2: The Commonwealth would called Sina Garbier.
Speaker 4: Good morning, good morning, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, Bucky, please thank you, good morning, good morning. Could you please tell the jury your first and last name, Christina Carpio and can you spell your last name for the record, c.
Speaker 8: Arps and Peter Io.
Speaker 2: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 8: I am a general surgeon trained in trauma and critical care.
Speaker 2: And where do you currently work.
Speaker 8: I'm hired by Brigham, but I work at Salshore Hospital.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit about your educational background.
Speaker 8: I completed medical school and then went to general surgery residency for five years at Columbia Presbyterian. I then did two additional years of trauma and surgical critical care at Yale, and then I've been working for Brigham and Selshare Hospital. Since twenty sixteen, and.
Speaker 2: Explain to us how it is that you work for both Brigham and Selshare Hospital as a trauma surgeon.
Speaker 8: Brigham has many physicians of all specialties who are at Soultual Hospital. At one point, I think there was a merger attempted between the two institutions. Either way, my salary comes from Brigham, but I work only at Soushore Hospital.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's kind of my follow up question. Generally, your day to day work is at the Cetual Hospital in Weymouth, that's correct? And what kind of hospital? What level hospital? Trauma level hospital? Is the south Shore Hospital a level two? And so if there are cases that come in that need more acute care, are they generally sent over to a hospital in Boston like the Brigham.
Speaker 8: Yes, depending sometimes we get input from the subspecialists to guide that decision.
Speaker 2: And as far as your role as a trauma surgeon, do you actually do surgeries at the Sosher Hospital.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three. Were you working at the Cecial hospital that day?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: And what was your role that day?
Speaker 8: I was the on call surgeon. I was physically in the hospital working.
Speaker 2: At some point in the evening hours. Were you advised that a patient was being transported to the Susher emergency room as a level one Yes? And so when you are advised of that level of trauma or your advice of a critical patient coming into the emergency department, what do you do?
Speaker 8: There are guidelines for how quickly we have to be present in the emergency room, because I'm also operating times, I may be in the operating room when that notification happens.
Speaker 2: So, in this particular case, when a patient, a female patient by the name of Lindsay Clancy, was coming into the emergency department, were you able to go down to the emergency department as part of the assessment team?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And who were you working with from the emergency department in this.
Speaker 8: Case, doctor Kelly McDonough.
Speaker 2: Now, is that a common thing that you collaborate with the emergency room doctors or nurses and technicians in a situation like this?
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 2: Did you have information that came in through the EMS or the paramedics about the nature of the patient's condition.
Speaker 8: I recall that we were told it was a fall of unclear mechanism from a height of about twenty feet.
Speaker 2: And where you advised that there was the possibility of maybe neurological deficits or some serious final injury. Yes, And as a result of that information, did that inform your trauma assessment?
Speaker 8: It was already activated as a level one, that's the highest mechanism when there is concern for a height from a certain of a fall from a height of a certain level and with possible neurological injury.
Speaker 2: So we're members of the neurology department also part of that trauma assessment team.
Speaker 8: No, okay.
Speaker 2: As far as your assessment, did you go and physically physically see the patient make observations?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you observe her in the emergency department to be intubated.
Speaker 8: Shortly after arrival? She was intubated, so.
Speaker 2: That was done by the staff at suchral hospital to your knowledge.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And did you observe injuries to her neck and her wrists?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you evaluate those to determine whether they needed an immediate surgical intervention?
Speaker 8: Yes? Did they No, they were superficial.
Speaker 2: And as far as additional tests to assess whether there's any other surgical intervention that's needed, are you aware that CT scans were ordered?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And are you aware what areas of the body they were ordered for.
Speaker 8: We did pant scan, which means we scan the head, the neck, the chest, and the abdomen pelvis.
Speaker 2: As far as your physical observations of the patient, did you observe any obvious injuries to her head area like abrasions, confusions, fractures.
Speaker 8: There were lacerations to her neck, okay, But as far as the rest of her head or around her like.
Speaker 2: Face.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: When those CT scans were done, were you able to review the information that came from them, Yes? And as far as those CT scans, you're aware that there was a head CT scan or two head CT scans, one with contrast durn one without and as were you aware that the findings were there no definite acute intercranial findings on the non contrast enhanced head CT, Yes, and there were no significant findings on the contrast head CT correct.
Speaker 8: The head CT with contrast was what we call an Andrewgram head and neck. So it's ordered in two parts and has two reports. At the time of the note of the documentation that was performed, we had the report back on the head section, but neck was not completed at that time?
Speaker 2: Okay? Was there eventually a completed andigrim of the neck area at Selfsha Hospital?
Speaker 8: The images were done, the report was completed. I don't know the timeline of when the report came in compared to when the patient was transferred.
Speaker 2: So as far as your initial assessment in that trauma assessment period or that wasn't information you had available to you about the neck findings correct?
Speaker 8: The angio neck findings correct.
Speaker 2: And that's different from other CT scans on the cervical spine and other areas of the spine. Is that fair to say? Yes, that's correct. As the trauma surgeon evaluating this case, did you identify that there were some serious spinal injuries to the cervical and thoracic areas?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did any of those require you to intervene with surgical intervention?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Do you recall making note that while in the emergency department the patient became hypertensive and that she was identified as being hypothermic to eighty two point one degrees?
Speaker 8: I remember that she was hypothermic in when I reviewed my documentation, she was The two numbers I saw on my note were normal values of blood pressure, not high values, not hyper tension.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I may approach you just with one of the pages from the notes radio review, you can just tell me if.
Speaker 8: I, oh, no problem, which.
Speaker 2: Towards the bottom, the last second to last paragraph.
Speaker 8: Oh, she was sorry. She was hypertensive, which means low blood pressure, different from hyper tension, which is high blood pressure. Ok yeah, sorry, yeah, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: But as as far as thermit that, you recall that she was at a very low core body temperature.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: And do you know what was done to raise her body temperature.
Speaker 8: We raised the temperature in the trauma room to be able to raise her body temperature. That's usually our first line of intervention.
Speaker 2: And do you also have available to you at the Selsha Hospital what's called the bear hugger or some sort of blanket or wrappings that you can wrap around an individual to try to get their body temperature up.
Speaker 8: Yes, we have that.
Speaker 2: And at some point her body temperature did come up to ninety five point two degrees correct, yes, And based on your observations of her, did anything change about those lacerations that you observed once her body temperature was up that warranted some surgical intervention of those injuries. No, what was the ultimate recommendation for the care of this patient?
Speaker 8: She had complex fractures in her spine at the thoracic level. We conferred with our neurosurgery colleague who was on call, who recommended transfer to a tertiary hospital.
Speaker 2: And so where did this patient go? Brig them? Now, you identified that your hospital is a level two trauma correct. Yes, after fully reviewing this patient, did you agree that this was the level one trauma situation?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you able to do surgical intervention for these particular injuries that you observed on this patient at Selsher Hospital?
Speaker 8: The spinal injuries require input from our neurosurgical team.
Speaker 2: And there was none available to you at the Cush Hospital.
Speaker 8: We did contact the on call neurosurgeon because we are a level two trauma center. They don't they are not required to be physically present in the hospital, but they were immediately available and they can remotely review images.
Speaker 2: So I guess my question is why didn't you do any surgeries regarding those injuries at Selsha Hospital? Why did you recommend the care to tertiary hospital?
Speaker 8: Flex level spinal injuries was deemed necessary for transfer by our neuro surgery colleague.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Be reading to.
Speaker 8: Good Morning.
Speaker 3: Just a few questions.
Speaker 5: So Self Shoe Hospital and you made reference to as being a trauma hospital and the injuries suffered by Lindsay were at level one.
Speaker 3: Is that what it was? Yes, it's correct, that would be the highest level, is that right?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: What time?
Speaker 5: If you remember what time approximately was she admitted to Self Shoe Hospital.
Speaker 8: The word admission means that she would have remained there as a patient, so she was never formally admitted for the time that she was brought in by EMS. I would have to refer to that information from the record.
Speaker 5: Do you have an idea as to how long she was at your hospital?
Speaker 8: Likely several hours, but again I would have to see the specifics in the charts. There's documentation with the MS for arrival and for when transfer to Brigham.
Speaker 5: Okay, And at some point it was decided that she would be transferred to Boston, right, Yes, Brigham a woman's hospital. Yes, And it was decided by someone that they weren't going to put her in an ambulance for that transport, right.
Speaker 8: I would have to look at the record for what was the method of transfer to do.
Speaker 5: You do you know how she was transferred by helicopter midflight?
Speaker 8: I don't know, because MedFlight can also all MedFlight covers two modes of transportation MedFlight ambulance and midflight helicopter.
Speaker 5: Do you know that she was midflight helicopter to Boston?
Speaker 8: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: And the time that.
Speaker 5: She left was after you all had provided the treatment that you were able to provide to Lindsay as.
Speaker 3: A patient, right, yes, and you reached the end of eu rope.
Speaker 5: She had to be transferred because she needed immediate high level medical care, right.
Speaker 8: She needed higher level of care, higher level.
Speaker 3: Of care, and.
Speaker 5: As a result, she was then brought to Brigham a women's hospital. Now, the treatment that you had given would include raising her apparently temperature, I guess, because she came in at a low temperature, right, yes?
Speaker 3: And did you use IV fluids?
Speaker 8: I would have to check the record, but that is a intervention.
Speaker 5: So your memory would be that you believe that you used IV fluids, But you'd have to have me get out of the box and check the record to ask that question.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, correct, Okay, it.
Speaker 5: Didn't really work out very well though, did it because you know that when she was brought to Boston, after all of the time that she was treated at your hospital, she was still core temperature of eighty two when she hit Brigham and Woman's.
Speaker 8: Loud if she knows, I did not look at the medical record from another institution. I only reviewed my note from Safshore Hospital.
Speaker 5: Did you know that your patient had coded shortly after being brought to Brigham a women's hospital?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: Did you know that she had to have massive transfusions right after being brought to the hospital in Boston?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: Did anybody in sub Show hospital make a determination that she had lost a lot of blood?
Speaker 8: There was the EMS report did not share that there was a large volume of blood at the scene. She was evaluated to part of her catskins also help us evaluate for intra abdominal blood loss.
Speaker 5: Okay, So when you raised the issue of the EMS, that would be the ambulance, right, yes, and their report, their run sheet they prepare right, that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Right, there's verbal report from EMS when the patient is brought in and also the run sheet of the details.
Speaker 5: Okay, And when the people from the EMS came in, and did they speak to you about the verbal report.
Speaker 8: They speak, They addressed the entire room, so all the staff in the room is available to hear the details.
Speaker 3: And you're able to look at the run sheet.
Speaker 8: Correct, No, the run sheet is not always immediately available.
Speaker 5: So did the EMTs do your knowledge as a treating surgeon, physician and the trauma center tell you that there was blood loss?
Speaker 11: Not to my recollection, do you have did anyone tell you that at the scene where she was being treated, after coming out of the window and striking the ground, that there was blood in the snow and on the leaves and in the grass.
Speaker 8: I cannot recall if they commented on that?
Speaker 5: Is that important for you to know if there's blood loss on a patient, if there is a.
Speaker 8: Large volume of blood loss, Yes, the EMS will routinely comment on the patient being found.
Speaker 5: That's the EMS, THEAH the surgeon right, that is correct, sir?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: And one of the things would be blood pressure, right, what the person's blood pressure is?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: And she had if I understand your testimony correctly, low blood pressure.
Speaker 8: She initially when she came in are the note has a normal blood pressure and then after intubation her blood pressure dropped.
Speaker 5: Okay, do you know what caused the blood pressure to drop.
Speaker 8: There were several factors at play, because we discovered from her cat scan she had an injury to her spinal cord in the thoracic region that very commonly causes issues with maintaining your blood pressure.
Speaker 5: And do you know what her blood pressure was? I mean, if you don't, that's fine.
Speaker 3: You need the.
Speaker 8: Records blood pressure. At which point, at.
Speaker 5: The point I'm asking you about, when you noted that she had low bred blood pressure?
Speaker 8: No, I don't remember how hypotensive she was.
Speaker 5: Now, as far as being hypotensive, did you know that when she finally hit the Boston hospital that she had massive transfusion of blood?
Speaker 8: I thought you, I thought, I asked? An answered, well did you you asked me before? And I answered that no, I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Okay, So how about did you know that they introduced plural tubes in both sides of her chest and removed many many see seeds of blood from both the right and left plural cavity.
Speaker 2: Object to the one question, the witness, as already indicated, she hasn't reviewed those records.
Speaker 12: She's not aware of what happened at go through each and every injury is.
Speaker 8: If she gets to that, No I did. I do not know that about the patient when she was not at.
Speaker 5: All ther area and the left all the area of the upper extremities right and left that there were a deep cut noted in the skin.
Speaker 8: The notes about her wrist injuries said that it was through the skin with exposed fat, but there was no exposed muscle or tendon.
Speaker 5: Are cuts on both ouns. You wouldn't agree with that, No, I would not. And again you're not aware of anything that was diagnosed in Brigham a Woman's hospital.
Speaker 8: Right, That is correct.
Speaker 5: As far as the injury to her spine, what kind of injury was it?
Speaker 3: Do you remember it?
Speaker 8: It was at thoracic level T five, T.
Speaker 5: Six, And what type of injury was there to the spine?
Speaker 8: The report that the stability of the pattern of it indicated that there was instability of the spine, which is why we conferred with the neurosurgeon, right.
Speaker 3: And nothing much came out of that either.
Speaker 5: As far as conferring with the neurosurgeon, right, I'm not sure.
Speaker 8: What you mean by nothing much came.
Speaker 3: Over You didn't show up to come to the hospital, right, we did.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure, okay.
Speaker 3: The spine was transacted at T five T six. Right.
Speaker 8: The person the team, or rather the input you would need for further commentary on the spine would be a neurosurgery team. I am not a neurosurgeon. I am a general surgeon.
Speaker 5: So you're not aware of the transaction. You know what a transaction is, don't you?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay?
Speaker 5: And on your cat scans or on your pictures that you were describing for the jury with no problem for the DA, did you notice that the spine was transacted at T five.
Speaker 8: And T six there was compression of the bones. I would have to specifically look at the report to see if it used the word transaction.
Speaker 3: Okay. How about a thyroid? Did you notice anything about a thyroid?
Speaker 8: It said that there was concern there was edema at the thyroid, concern for a contusion or laceration, and that's.
Speaker 3: The extent of your nose.
Speaker 5: You don't know whether or not the thyroid was destroyed or anything, do you correct?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: How about her ribs? You noticed that some of her ribs were broken.
Speaker 8: I would have to look at her cat scan report again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, coming in here today, you're not aware whether or not she had broken ribs because you haven't been able to look at your records.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 8: I did review my records. I would have to specifically state into the record what was the injuries. I would be happy to read from my note, which I know is part of the evidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So who is it that decide is that a patient is going to be med flighted into Boston from South Shoa Hospital.
Speaker 8: Some of it depends on the level of injury and the transport teams that are available at that moment. Sometimes MedFlight ambulance is faster, sometimes MedFlight is available. It all depends on the available resources at the time of the event.
Speaker 5: So what I asked you is who decides whether or not somebody is getting med flighted out of South.
Speaker 8: Shoa Hospital and the in from the subspecialist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know. She was still talking.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, I finished, sir.
Speaker 5: All right, So you, as the trauma surgeon, would you agree that you had a little bit to do with whether or not she was in dire straits and had to be med flight at to Boston.
Speaker 8: I would be part of the decision to transfer her.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that decision being made and do you remember the meeting that you had to make that decision.
Speaker 8: I remember conferring with the emergency room team that neurosurgery had said she needed transfer and.
Speaker 3: It was by MedFlight, right.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether it's an ambulance or a helicopter, but you know it was MedFlight.
Speaker 8: It should have been MedFlight.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, call.
Speaker 12: Doctor.
Speaker 2: It was very clear to you that this patient has was suffering from multiple injuries.
Speaker 8: Yes, And is it.
Speaker 2: The policy of the Sutral hospital to make sure a patient is stable before they're transported.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's correct. Yes, correct. We would not put an unstable patient in any mode of transport to another facility.
Speaker 2: So when the review of all the CT scans, the DOBLINO scans, the head scans, the chest tax rays, all of the things that were reviewed as identified that she was stable enough.
Speaker 13: To be transfer because they think she's I'll love this question.
Speaker 2: Sorry what was your answer?
Speaker 8: Could you repeat the question please?
Speaker 2: So, after reviewing all of the imaging of the CT scans, the chess tax reas, everything, you and your team were comfortable that she was staying well enough to be transported to another hospital. Correct, Yes, And I think your testimony was that a large contributor to the decision of transport was the information that you got on the nurse surgery t.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you nothing for anything on that springthon. Thank you doctor, Thank you.
Speaker 8: Sir.
Speaker 2: Hi come, weal come, would call Joseph Rabbit to the stand.
Speaker 4: Please, good morning, sir, that's it's a fun.
Speaker 2: One with the.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good morning, sir, Good morning. Can you please tell the jury your first and.
Speaker 14: Last name, the head of Joseph Rabbit. Are a BBI T T.
Speaker 15: And where do you work the Massachusetts State Police? Currently assigned to the Cybercrime Unit.
Speaker 2: How long have you been with the State Police.
Speaker 14: Since March of twenty twelve, And.
Speaker 2: I'm going to draw your attention back to January of twenty twenty three. What was your assignment then?
Speaker 15: I was a trooper assigned to the State Police Detective Unit for Plymouth County.
Speaker 2: And do you recall how long you were a detective or trooper assigned to the detective unit in Plymouth County.
Speaker 15: Approximately from February of twenty seventeen to.
Speaker 14: September of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three. Do you recall being involved in an investigation in the town of Duxbury that day. I do yes, And do you recall where you went in Duxbury or or where the investigation was unfolding out of at first went.
Speaker 14: To Jordan Hospital or Beth Israel deacon.
Speaker 2: Plymouth, Okay, And so you didn't initially go to forty seven Summer Street correct.
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Fair to say you weren't the case officer in this case, that is correct, and your experience working with the detective unit fair to say when an investigation, our death investigation is ongoing, kind of it's all hands on deck and everyone's kind of directed to do different things.
Speaker 14: Correct, That is correct.
Speaker 2: And so in this circumstance, you were asked to go to the Beth Israel Deaconess or the old Jordan Hospital here in Plymouth correct.
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: Why did you get asked to go there?
Speaker 14: Because three children have been transported there.
Speaker 2: And so were you assigned to just go and check in on the status of the kids and what was going on.
Speaker 15: At that hospital, check it on the status and have them any potential victims documented by crime scene services.
Speaker 2: And so while you were at the hospital, you did have the occasion to speak with Patrick Clancy correct.
Speaker 3: I did yes.
Speaker 2: And after you left the hospital, did you go to forty seven Summer Street in Duxbury.
Speaker 10: I did yes.
Speaker 2: And are you aware that other members in your unit had obtain a search weren't for that home?
Speaker 3: I was yes.
Speaker 2: And so when you arrived at forty seven Summer Street, were you there to assist with the execution of the warrant? I was yes, part of the hornt execution. Is it fair to say that everyone's kind of asked to look at particular areas and search for potential evidence evidence related to the offence.
Speaker 3: That is correct?
Speaker 2: Fair to say this search warrant was executed shortly after the incident occurred.
Speaker 14: Fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And so did you and other investigators have limited information about what had happened?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: At the home you were you in that in the kitchen area assisting with the search?
Speaker 3: I was yes.
Speaker 2: And you show you what's probity been marked exhibit. You could look at the screen. Are you familiar with that photograph or what's depicted in that photograph?
Speaker 14: I am yes.
Speaker 2: And is that the kitchen area at forty seven Summer Street.
Speaker 14: It is, yes.
Speaker 2: There in January, well, the early morning hours, I would say, January twenty fifth, I was yes, And so fair to say you made observation till you're there right?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: And what was an observation that you noted to other investigators in that kitchen area on.
Speaker 14: The island ACVs bag.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to show you Exhibit number forty. That's a little bit of a closer view of the bag. Correct.
Speaker 3: That is correct?
Speaker 2: And how about this.
Speaker 12: Larger paper bag. Did you observe that as well?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 2: Yes? And going to just approach you with what's been already marked as Exhibit thirty one. Was that also familiar to you?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that receipt that is that bad?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: And fair to say all of these things the CBS bag, the receipt were noted, and certain things were collected, including the receipt Exhibit thirty one and the CVS bag correct call. What was inside the CBS bag.
Speaker 14: Was a bottle of pedal x.
Speaker 2: MH. You also observed other areas of the kitchen correct.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: And so there was a particular cabinet in the kitchen. Did you open a cabinet and discover something that stood out to you?
Speaker 14: I did, yes?
Speaker 2: And what was what was the cabinet? And what stood out.
Speaker 15: An upper kitchen cabinet with medication bottles.
Speaker 2: Okay, and fair to say that was that was pointed out and documented as well?
Speaker 14: It was yes, I may.
Speaker 2: Approach first photograph. Is that familiar to you?
Speaker 14: It is yes?
Speaker 2: And that's the cabinet that you opened and saw the items inside.
Speaker 14: Correct.
Speaker 2: And I'm just show you a second photograph And is that fair to say just a closer of those top shelves.
Speaker 14: It is yes?
Speaker 2: And what particularly stood out to you about medication in the cabinet.
Speaker 12: The spices or the generic medications or something else.
Speaker 14: The prescription medications it may be admitted.
Speaker 2: So just showing you now on the screen one and that's just the cabinet open and there's looks to be like air frier the below it correct?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: And now showing you one fifty three, which has those top two shelves, and it's the very top shelf has the prescription bottles correct?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: What did you do with the prescription bottles?
Speaker 15: I placed them on the islands and notified other members of that we're searching so they could be photographed by crime scene services.
Speaker 2: So I'm just going to show you another photograph.
Speaker 12: Is that fair as to replacing those bottles on.
Speaker 14: The island.
Speaker 4: May be admitted.
Speaker 2: And how many bottles were there?
Speaker 10: There were four?
Speaker 2: Or she would look bad. Take a look it's in the bag. Do those appear to be the four bottles that were in the cabinet?
Speaker 11: Yes, they may be admitted, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now, other than pulling these for the cabinet, latting them up on the counter and asking crimes and to photograph them, did you do anything further with these fills as far as inventoring them or examining them?
Speaker 14: I did not know.
Speaker 2: And when the kirch Warren is executed, for to say, there's usually an evidence officer who kind of documents everything and collects everything to take back either to the crime lab or to the State Police office.
Speaker 14: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Now. In addition to assisting with the execution of the warrant on this on January twenty the early morning hours of January twenty fifth, were you asked to do something else on this case on February sixth of twenty twenty three, I was yes. And on that day did somebody come into the State Police office at the District Attorney's office with some information or evidence? They did?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Who was that that came.
Speaker 14: In mister Patrick Clancy.
Speaker 2: And was he with an attorney somebody by the name of David Meyer. Yes, And what did they bring to the state police?
Speaker 14: Bottles of medication?
Speaker 2: How was it transported to the state Police or how did you receive.
Speaker 14: It in ACBS bag.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna show you.
Speaker 12: A photograph familiar to you.
Speaker 2: It is, yes, and this fairs to the bag that was pro.
Speaker 3: Yes, it may.
Speaker 2: Be admitted when mister Clancy an attorney Meyer brought that bag in. Did you do something or ask somebody to do something to memorialize what they were bringing to you?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 15: I asked crime Scene Services to digitally document them.
Speaker 2: And so the photograph I just showed you of the bag that was done by a trooper from crime Scene Services that came to the office.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 14: To recall who that was, I believe it was Trooper Roast Offers.
Speaker 2: And fair to say that with the crime scene trooper present, you also examined the other contents in the bag.
Speaker 8: Correct, That is correct?
Speaker 2: And there was a blank greeting card, some paperwork and a kind of insert for CBS. Is that back?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: Is that the other items that were in the bag other than the medications, that is correct.
Speaker 4: That may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And again as to the medications in that bag, when you saw that there were prescription bottles there, did you present them so that they could all be documented?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And did you then inventory or examine each of the bottles?
Speaker 14: I did yes.
Speaker 2: And is it fair to say that Patrick Clancy had indicated that the bag was in his truck and that he was bringing them to the state Police as a result of everything that occurred on January twenty fourth.
Speaker 15: I can't recall where he said he got them from, but that is why he was bringing them in.
Speaker 8: And I'm just going to approach.
Speaker 2: With the exhibit number two.
Speaker 12: You want it, take a look at that before we go through it.
Speaker 2: Is that appear to represent all the bottles that were provided to you on February sixth?
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: And that's nine correct. Correct now, just as far as each bottle one moment. So when you are tasked to tracking your inventory, particular items like this.
Speaker 15: That come in, what do you do count out how many capsules or tablets are in there? The date that would not it was it was filled in the amount left in the bottle and the amounts that it said should have been there and when filled.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so referring first to this bottle that's labeled le Razapam one milligram, fair to say it says date filled two correct, correct, And it says that originally it was filled with thirty quantity thirty correct. And you counted what was left in this particular bottle, and there were only fourteen hills.
Speaker 14: Left in that bottle correct correct.
Speaker 2: And so the next one, the bottle labeled Curtulan brand name Zilloloft, filled on nine to fifteen, twenty two, quantity thirty. Did you count how many pills were left in this bottle? I did, and fair to say there's twenty three left corst no use sperne. There were, in fact two bottles labeled U sperone correct, that is correct, and one of them with a date of ten twenty six, twenty two, date filled quantity thirty. You counted how many pills are in this bottle?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 2: And there were twenty eight pills left in this bottle, that is correct. Hydroxene filled on ten twenty six, twenty two quantity thirty. You counted how many pills were in this that is and fair to say there were twenty seven left in that bottle?
Speaker 14: Correct.
Speaker 2: Klon is a pan filled on eleven twenty five, twenty two, with fourteen pills in the prescription. You counted how many were in this bottle?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: And there were actually a eleven and.
Speaker 14: A half christ that is correct?
Speaker 2: Blocks eighteen filled on eleven twenty one, twenty two, with fifty six in the prescription. You counted how many were left in this bottle? I did guess and there were twenty or excuse me, forty three correct?
Speaker 12: Correct?
Speaker 2: The second bottle of lerazapam that was point five milligrams, filled on eleven two, twenty two, with it says forty on the bottle right correct? You counted what was left in this bottle and it was eighteen and a half tablets, that is correct. And the second bottle of busperone filled on eleven nine, twenty two, quantity thirty There were actually thirty in this bottle? Is aft to say?
Speaker 3: Correct? Guess?
Speaker 2: And Trazodone filled on November sixteenth, twenty twenty two, with a prescription for thirty. You counted that there were twenty two point five pills left in this bottle? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: And then once you identified and counted each and ever you want to the pills in these bottles you handed this in for evidence, that is correct.
Speaker 5: Take it all, right, cross Council, and the pills that you just counted or you went through the bottles that you seized.
Speaker 3: First of all, there's no.
Speaker 5: Doubt that you guys were executing a search warrant, right, that is correct. And to have a search warrant, you have to have a reason to seize something from a citizen's person or their home right, that is correct, if their probable cause is what it's called, right, and then you have to itemize what you want to have the authority to seize, right, coruct. So I take it that when you people went in executing the search warrant that you had authority to seize the medical pill bottles that we've just gone through, corut and that was set forth right in the where it says you're therefore commanded. One of the things that you're entitled to seize would be prescription medication, right correct, And that would be on January twenty five or thirteen, that this affidavit was submitted to the clerk in this court, right correct, at three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: Warrant was issued on January twenty five.
Speaker 14: Right, I didn't write it, but that sounds about right. That sounds right, all.
Speaker 5: Right, But do you recall what time you went into the home plancy home to execute the warrant?
Speaker 3: To serve the warrant.
Speaker 14: Is very more early morning?
Speaker 5: I was, yes, all right, so early morning hours. You're in there to look for in among other things like computers and things, sees any medication bottles that you saw, correct, So it's not that it's a random search that some police officer just happened to grab bottles.
Speaker 3: That is she saw.
Speaker 5: There was a specific intent to seize prescription medication.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 14: It was on the affidavit.
Speaker 5: Yes, And that's what you all did when you went in to try to execute the warrant and seize the items.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 15: I mean I for myself, what I found in the kitchen is what I sees.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: So were you the officer in trage of the warrant execution?
Speaker 3: I was not numb. Okay. Did you leave the kitchen and go elsewhere?
Speaker 16: I did?
Speaker 3: Yes? And where did you go?
Speaker 15: I believe I went to one of the children's bedrooms because it was somebody for me. There was a nuts camera in there a.
Speaker 3: Camera, Yes, okay, did you go anywhere else? If you recall I thought that I can recall. Did you go in the master bedroom.
Speaker 14: I can't recall if I did.
Speaker 5: Do you recall whether or not anybody in your presence or anybody went into a drawer a nightstand and looked in the drawer and saw an apple, watch, a bunch of pills.
Speaker 3: Things that nature. I can't.
Speaker 14: I don't know if anybody did or not.
Speaker 3: Description bottles that were seized.
Speaker 14: If you ever seen these, I have not known.
Speaker 5: So you went through the pill when the bibles through the district attorneys, and you did that when you did inventory apparently of these pill.
Speaker 3: Bibles that you ever tied about right.
Speaker 5: For the d she she asked you to looking and tell us how many pills were missing.
Speaker 14: Right, I did that for the ones that were turned in, right.
Speaker 3: And nobody ever looked at these bubbles right.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they have or not, if I understand correctly. Lorazepam as council asked.
Speaker 3: You, uh the dates that these scripts were written.
Speaker 5: The larazepam as you indicated was October twenty six. The busperone was the same date, October twenty six. The hydroxyzine was October twenty seventh flask Flamazepam was into November twenty five flocks the team was November Larrazipim was the beginning of November, November two busperine.
Speaker 3: These were all.
Speaker 5: Pills that were issued on prescriptions in about a three week period of time.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 14: Yeah, whatever the dates are, they would prescribe.
Speaker 5: Would you say that Patrick Clancy was very cooperative with your investigation anything you needed, he was pretty much there to try to help you out.
Speaker 15: I think I only dealt with him at the hospital, but he was very forthcoming.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you, that's all I have to come.
Speaker 17: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Counsel would call Maureen Fartnett as its next fitness.
Speaker 4: Good morning, morning.
Speaker 2: All right, counsel, thank you, good morning. Could you please club the jers.
Speaker 8: Your first and last name Enheartnett.
Speaker 2: And how are you employed? What do you do for work?
Speaker 1: Im a forensic scientist too in the criminalistics unit as well as a crime scene response unit at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Laboratory.
Speaker 2: And how long have you worked for the crime lab.
Speaker 1: Approximately a total of ten years.
Speaker 2: And what are your general responsibilities? As a forensic scientists too.
Speaker 1: In the criminalistics unit, I examine items of evidence for the possible presence of biological fluids such as blood, semen, and saliva, and those items would include clothing, weapons, or sexual assault hits among other items. I also collect and identify trace materials such as hairs and fibers. I perform damage analysis on clothing and collect gunshot residues.
Speaker 2: Do you have to undergo some specific training and education in order to perform those tasks at the crime lab. Yes.
Speaker 1: I have a bachelor's degree in biology as well as a master's degree in forensic science. In addition, I received approximately nine months of training in the crime laboratory as well.
Speaker 2: Do you have to take proficiency or competency tests on a regular basis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So competity test is taken after each module in the training. They address certain things like blood identification, seaman identification, and after each of those modules I took a competency test to move on to the next portion of the training. Yearly, I also take multiple proficiency tests in biological fluid identification as well as trace identification and crime scene response.
Speaker 2: I'd like to talk a little bit first about the crime scene response. So you, as a forensic scientist are a civilian? Correct?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Do you often work in tandem with a trooper from the crime scene Services section? Yes?
Speaker 1: Generally I work alongside law enforcement as well as crime scene services when processing at crime scene.
Speaker 2: And when you go to a crime scene to process with the crime scene response unit, what's the goal or what are you looking to do there?
Speaker 1: My focus generally is on biological evidence such as blood, semen, saliva, as well as documentation through sketches and diagram and.
Speaker 2: The trooper from the crime Scene Services section that is usually there the law enforcement are they also documenting the scene as well and reviewing those same areas but through photographs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I can't speak for all of their responsibilities.
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 1: They take photographs, video, and they also take their own diagrams on occasion.
Speaker 2: Now, in addition to locating biological evidence, do you sometimes perform what's called screening tests at crime scenes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: And what are the common screening tests that you can do at a crime scene?
Speaker 1: I perform screening tests for blood as well as screening tests for sceneen depending on the case history and what the forensic relevant evidence is.
Speaker 2: And does that help inform you on what to collect from a crime scene? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: I'm free to say if there's large a pool of blood on a floor, you can't collect that all and take it back to the lab.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: So how do you collect a sampling of it in order to then later process something like a red brown stain or some sort of biological spot or stain that you observe.
Speaker 1: Depending on the substrate on which the biological flood is located, I'll take a swabbing of the item, which is generally something like a Q tip to swab up the stain, or if it's on a soft surface, I could potentially take a cutting to preserve that biological evidence for future testing.
Speaker 2: And in some instances do you actually take the whole object if.
Speaker 1: It's possible In some instances, yes, that's correct. We would take the whole object, depending on what it is.
Speaker 2: I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three. Do you recall being asked to come out with the crime scene response unit on that day or this evening? Yes?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: And where was the first place that you went in this response?
Speaker 1: I responded to Seal Shore Hospital the emergency department, and.
Speaker 2: Fair to say that Trooper Rose Staffers was also dispatched to that location as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: And did you make observations of a person who was identified as Lindsay Clancy at Slusher Hospital? Yes?
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 2: And did you observe her to have red brown stains on her body?
Speaker 1: I noted red brown stains on her hands. I did not have the opportunity to examine her entire body. She was mostly covered with blankets and other types of medical equipment. But I did not red brown stains on her hands.
Speaker 2: And clearly she was there for some sort of treatment, right, So why was your focus on her hands? As a crime scene response technician and a criminalist at that.
Speaker 1: Point in time, I was collecting samples from her hands for potential biological evidence relating to the crime. So when I noted the red brown scenes, I collected samples from her hands.
Speaker 2: And while at Selshaer Hospital, you are also aware that she had come into the hospital with clothing that.
Speaker 1: Was cut off correct, Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: And that clothing was bagged up and collected.
Speaker 1: Yes, I returned that clothing to the crime laboratory.
Speaker 2: Who did you receive the clothing from.
Speaker 1: I believe it was Trooper Dan Lawler.
Speaker 2: At some point after being at Selfshore Hospital. Did you then respond to forty seven Summer Street in Duxbury.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: Did you have somebody with you that day?
Speaker 1: I had a forensic scientist training at that.
Speaker 2: Time At forty seven Summer Street. Were you directed to a particular area to examine first?
Speaker 1: I first entered the home through the main floor and then was directed into the basement of the home.
Speaker 2: And when you came into the basement or I guess this could be true of when you respond to the most crime scenes. Is it the best the best practice to be one of the first in the home to examine at the home as it is or the scene as it is.
Speaker 1: Generally crime tcene services would enter first to photograph and video so that there's no personnel in those photos or videos. Then I would normally enter, whether crimes scene response you know it would enter next so that nothing is disturbed and that we can mark and test and collect evidence as is prior to the detective unit coming in. And then once our things are marked and documented, then the detective unit would also enter the residence.
Speaker 2: So when you came into the basement at forty seven Summer Street, did you observe some areas of the basement that were of significance to you as the crime scene reserve crime scene response?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did. And did you observe a red brand stain on the floor?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did. Once you observe it, what do you do with that stain?
Speaker 1: I marked the stain using a piece of ruler tape, and I designated that stain as stain A so that I can properly refer to it in my report.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna is that familiar to you? Yes? It is?
Speaker 12: Is that stain A that you just told us about?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct, it may be admitted.
Speaker 2: I'm showing you now on the screen what's been Marcus Exhibit one. Obviously this appears to be on carpet craft.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 12: What did you do to collect sampling of that?
Speaker 2: Well? I guess what is the person you did.
Speaker 3: With that stain?
Speaker 1: So once I marked it, I then requested it be photographed, and that is a resulting photograph from that request. I then performed a screening test for the presence of blood on that stain. The screening test was positive. And at that point, once I documented that result in my notes, I then took two swabs of that stain for further testing.
Speaker 2: Now, when you're out a scene and you see something that is a red fern stain, you don't refer to the ask blood.
Speaker 1: Crash, that's correct, And.
Speaker 2: Even after the screening test, you don't refer to the ask blood do you? That's correct. Those preliminary tests are just screens, and so what do you do to then later confirm it?
Speaker 1: Once a swab is collected and then submitted to the lab. Later when I'm assigned to the case in the criminalistics unit. In the lab, I'll then perform a confirmatory tests on any swabs that they're interested in that need to be tested further and so as it, I apply di andized water to Q tips and apply it to the stain, and then the red brown stain is then transferred to the Q tips. I then package those, seal them, and enter them into our laboratory system and store them in a cold storage unit until they're ready to be further tested.
Speaker 2: Fair to say, with this particular investigation, the swabbing from that stain a on the basement floor was labeled as item three dash three.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Did you also go to another area of the house?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 2: And what other areas did you go?
Speaker 1: I went up to the master bedroom on the second floor of the house.
Speaker 2: Did you observe additional red brown stains in that master bedroom? Yes?
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 2: And so again, when you observe stains, you then note them, mark them, document them. Correct, that's correct. And how many stains did you document in the master bedroom?
Speaker 14: Four?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: And again, just like the stain on the basement, were you labeled A? Do you kind of start over with the stains in the other bedroom or do you continue to label them in sequence?
Speaker 1: I continue to label them in sequence as they were B through E.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So first referring to stain B, do you recall where that was in the master bedroom.
Speaker 1: That was on the floor of the master bedroom, in between the bed and the mirror photo.
Speaker 2: And was that fair to say stay in be stains? Yes?
Speaker 18: True?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Maybe admitted I started showing you one fifty nine on the screen Pratusly, that's not one one stain that was observed cracked, that's correcked. But what did you do to collective anything or screened this particular area of red brown stains.
Speaker 1: Sure, so in this particular case, based on the stains size and distribution, I consider them a related group of stains. So I tested one of the stains, performed the screening tests for the presence of blood. That was positive. So then I collected to swap from that stain just like the other one as before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another photograph that area is that familiar as well?
Speaker 17: Yes, all right, that may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And again now showing what's been MARKEDUS one sixty, you've now testified that there was a grouping of stains, and so based on your observations with the grouping, you were able to identify that they appeared related. That's correct. How about stain C. Where was that located?
Speaker 1: Stain C I believe was located on the mirror, and.
Speaker 2: Just going back to one THI none for reference. Can you see the bottom legs of the mirror in this photograph? Yes, so they were, it was close to that cluster of staines.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 12: You another photography depict the.
Speaker 2: Stained CE that you noted from here, Yes, it does.
Speaker 4: That may be admitted.
Speaker 2: With with what's now been Marcus one sixty one stained c again, is would this be kind of a cluster of related red ground stains.
Speaker 1: Yes, based on their location and their shape. I collected one scene from that area.
Speaker 2: Did you perform that scene screening test?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: And what was the results? It was positive? And did you then swallow and collapse from one of those scenes? Well, yes, I did, no stain d Do you recall where that was in the bedroom?
Speaker 1: That was on the windowsill?
Speaker 2: Are you two more photos those represents where you identify as yes.
Speaker 4: I would, he may be admitted.
Speaker 2: Showing you one sixty two, First, Curtsey, that's the inside of the windows still cracked inside the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: That night that you were there, did you make any observations of any stanes on the outside of the window sill?
Speaker 1: Yes, each of those were documented three photographs.
Speaker 2: Did you collect any swabbings from the scenes on the outside of the window so that night?
Speaker 1: No, I did not.
Speaker 2: And just kind of showing you for the jury. One sixty three. That's just a further close up of some of the staines. And is that fair to represent the area that you tested for the screen and then later swabbed. Yes, that's cracked and staying e.
Speaker 1: Do you recaller that was located that was located on the night stand next to.
Speaker 12: The bed photograph?
Speaker 2: Is that familiar to be staying e?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 3: It may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And I'm just showing you another photograph of the outside of the house.
Speaker 12: Do you see staining that you observe that night on the outside?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 14: I do, and I night that may be admitted.
Speaker 2: So first exhibit one sixty four, you observe several staines in.
Speaker 1: That location, Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: And did you do the same thing as some of the other grouping of stains screen one area, swap from one.
Speaker 1: Area, Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: And just now showing exhibit one sixty five, if you can see at the top stain on the outside of the windowsill, did you observe that on January twenty fourth, Yes, I did, but you did not swap or screen that.
Speaker 1: S that's correct?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Generally we don't collect every single scene from a scene. I organize the stains based on location, size, shaped distribution and collected from multiple areas and then the particular taste. I knew there was a single bleeder in that area, so I collected from numerous staines just not that particular one.
Speaker 2: And in addition to that stain on the windows. Still fair to say you did observe some other standing on the outside of the house as well, further down the window and on top of the first floor window frame.
Speaker 1: Yes I did.
Speaker 2: While you were out in the backyard, did you also observe staining or red brown stains in the yard? Yes? I did. And did you do that same procedure of marking it, screening it, collecting a sample from it?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did, just gonna show you a more.
Speaker 2: Is that familiar? Yes, it is.
Speaker 14: Correct, may be admitted.
Speaker 2: As far as the work that you did on the scene at forty seven Summer Street on January twenty fourth, fair to say it was limited to documenting these areas swabbing these areas for the most part.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I also collected a pair of pajamas and a pink pathrobe from the basement.
Speaker 2: Were all of the swabbings and those items collected brought back to the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab?
Speaker 1: Yes, they were.
Speaker 2: Are you aware that there were other items that were collected within that home on January twenty fourth that were also brought back to the State Police crime Lab for further analysis. Yes. Moving to January twenty fifth of twenty twenty three, did you go to the Brigham and Women's Hospital as part of the crime scene response again to see Lindsay Clancy, the defendant? Yes, I did, and you observed her at that location as well? Yes?
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 2: Do you take further samples from her?
Speaker 1: Yes? I collected samples swabbings from underneath her fingernails.
Speaker 2: And then, as far as you're duties on this case with crime scene response, did you return back to forty seven Summer Street on January fifteenth of twenty twenty three?
Speaker 1: I believe I returned on June fifteenth.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry June fifteenth, thank you?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: And when you returned to the home on June fifteenth, did you go in the nighttime in the daytime? I went during the day and again with a crime scene response trooper or a crime scene services trooper.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct.
Speaker 2: What was the purpose of going back to forty seven Summer Street on June fifteenth?
Speaker 1: I was informed that additional testing was being requested on some of the red brown scenes that were noted on the X tier of the house up on the shingles. They had not previously collected from so I went back to see if I could potentially collect samples from those.
Speaker 2: Is that something in your training and experience is possible to collect biological substances from something like a shingle months after the incident occurred.
Speaker 1: It's possible, So if it's requested, we'll certainly go out an attempt to do that.
Speaker 2: And in this particular in incident, you went out and first made observations of the rear of the home correct, Yes, that's correct, And then made closer observations of underneath that second floor window.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct?
Speaker 2: Did you observe any obvious staining in that area?
Speaker 1: There appeared to be a reddish brown stain underneath the windowsill.
Speaker 2: So what did you do once you observed those stains?
Speaker 1: I marked that stain as stain A, and then I also marked additional stains for the down on the side of the house on the shingles.
Speaker 2: Where was stain A.
Speaker 1: That was right underneath the windowsill of the window that was farthest right what would have been the master bedroom on the xterior.
Speaker 2: This photograph of the room the home, is this photograph at least show the area where you observe stan A. Yes, And can you point out to you where that was sure.
Speaker 1: It was sort of on the left side near where this this orange it seems to be some sort of window insulation, So it was right underneath there. So I did perform a screen.
Speaker 12: Test on that, and what were the results of the screening test?
Speaker 1: That was negative?
Speaker 4: I would move to Admitphis, it may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And on June fifteenth, when you were there twenty twenty three, showing you now Exhibit one sixty seven kind of closing in on underneath that window, there's that orange ball that you describe, appeared to be some sort of insulation, correct, and that was negative. That that staying observe was negative, so you didn't do anything.
Speaker 5: Further with that.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 2: As far as the the other areas you have Stains B, C and D correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Orient Is that a fair representation of San Dy? Yes, that's correct. And well in here stay C and D.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 12: And again stay B is kind of in between the top floor window and.
Speaker 2: The first floor window. Correct, And Stain's C and D are just above the first floor window.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 7: All right, those may be admitted, Council.
Speaker 4: It's just about eleven o'clock. Why don't we take the morning recess at this time? All right, so we can take the morning break at this time.
Speaker 3: Members of the jury, all.
Speaker 7: Okay, cool, that same thing we need to talk about for the break, all right, so we'll be in the morning recess at this time.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That is correct.
Speaker 2: And again we talked briefly earlier about the fact that there's always a screen and then that there you can't make a determination of the substance until a confirmatory test is done. Correct, that's correct, And so that is a process that you do at the lab. Yes. Correct. And as far as the knife that we just were referring to, the knife that was recovered, what's an exhibit one seventy, you were able to examine that further or swabs taken from that knife at the lab, that's correct, and confirm that what you say was stain a and the blade of that knife was confirmed to be blood.
Speaker 1: Yes, I performed the screening test as well as the confirmatory test for blood on stain a at the laboratory.
Speaker 2: Now, once you are in the laboratory and determine that blood is confirmed on these particular items or that there is biological substance present. Do you do anything to prepare those items for further testing in a different unit of the lab?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. What do you do for the swabs that I collected and for the swabbings that I took off the knife? I then cut them off, give them a separate item number, and preserve those for potential DNA analysis. Half of the samples also preserved for any future analysis if necessary.
Speaker 2: And fair to say, it's a different unit at a different part of the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab that conducts DNA testing. Correct. That's correct, And so if some of the items that you examined or selected for further testing, those swabbings or further snippets would then be sent to the unit DNA unit. That's correct now, as it pertains to some of the other items that were collected from forty seven Summer Street. You also did some work on three exercise bands, correct?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did?
Speaker 2: And what did you do in relation to the three exercise bands that were collected.
Speaker 1: After documenting them in the lab? I took samples from each of the ends of the exercise bands, as well as a separate sample from the center of each of the exercise bands.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And so the first band, which is identified as a yellow exercise band, had previously been identified as item two dash too. Correct.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: And so did you take samples from both the ends in the middle of that item?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna approve with a photograph. Is that familiar to you?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: And in addition to actually taking the swaps, you also document the item that you're analyzing and reviewing. Correct. Yes.
Speaker 1: Prior to performing any kind of collection of testing on an item, I'll photograph it.
Speaker 2: And so this particular photograph is Is it fair to say this is a photograph from your work at the laboratory with a yellow exercise band. Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: Next exhibit that may be admitted, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I'm it started now showing you what's been markets exhibit one se and you indicated that you took swabbings from around the handle areas correct? Correct, and then the middle of the band.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 19: Why do the thing?
Speaker 1: The purpose of the collection was to potentially determine who was holding or had contact with the ends of the band and who potentially had contact with the center of the band. Potentially there was being two different individuals. So I collected samples separate from the ends as in addition to the center.
Speaker 2: And was your approach on each one of the bands the same, Yes, it was okay. So the second band, which is the black band that was identified as item two Dash three, you took samples again from the ends in the middle. That's correct. And I'm just going to show you another photograph. And is that the black band you examined.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: That may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And finally, the blue exercise band that was recovered from the home at forty seven Summer Street that was identified as I'm two dash four, did you examine it in the same fashion I'm swabbing the ends in the.
Speaker 1: Middle, Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: Yes, photograph when you were examining it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 3: That may be admitted.
Speaker 2: And as far as the swabbings that you took of these each of these three exercise bands, what did you do with the swabbings after you swabbed the items.
Speaker 1: I allowed the swabs to air dry, I gave them each a item number, and then I preserved half of each of the swabs for additional testing in the DNA unit.
Speaker 2: And as far as your knowledge of some of the additional testing. You're aware that the exercise band swabbings were sent forward to the DNA unit for additional analysis.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, that's my understanding.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank cross, thank you. M definitely so I was having it.
Speaker 5: You initially went into the home at forty seventh Summes Street at what time that day?
Speaker 3: It was in the evening early morning hours.
Speaker 1: It was the early morning hours of January twenty fifth, okay, And.
Speaker 5: You had somebody that was learning underneath you, that was with you at that time, that's correct. And you went into the various areas of the house. You went down to the basement, right, Yes, you talked about the stain that you had taken swaves of that was on the carpet down in the.
Speaker 3: Basement, right, that's correct.
Speaker 5: And you went upstairs and then ultimately you ended up in the bedroom and you made observations of a number of blood drops or red brown as you put it, drops on the floor.
Speaker 1: Right, there were numerous red brown scenes on the floor. Yes, I did not believe I documented more bound scenes on the clothing and me been there. I don't know if I have that in my notes.
Speaker 5: How about the on top of the night stand, there was the knife the counsel had talked about. Yes, correct, And then you look at the window and there was a red brown stain on the right hand side of the window as you're looking outside from inside right.
Speaker 2: Yes, correct, And uh, you made.
Speaker 5: Observations of some of the markings on the shingles that were directly below the window, directly above where the reds were found.
Speaker 3: In the snow underneath.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 3: Your confirmatory tests.
Speaker 5: And first of all, what you do is you you have your screening tests. Back in the day, they used to you know, you use the orthotoldyin and you.
Speaker 3: Still use that.
Speaker 5: No, no, this time, now you use what crystalline?
Speaker 3: What do you use?
Speaker 5: It's called Mayer and the tessel Mayer basically, as I say, back in the day, it used to be that you would have vegetation that could give you a false positive.
Speaker 3: Right, correct. Certain chemicals could give you a false positive.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: Animal feces could give you a false positives.
Speaker 1: Right, depending on what's in them. Possibly.
Speaker 5: Yes, the test now that you have the confirmatory test is a lot more accurate, if you will, But still nevertheless I said, it's confirmatory screening. But Nevertheless, you still have to do a confirmatory test, right, that's correct. And back in the day it used to be tacking Yama tests. What do you do for confirmatory.
Speaker 1: Now we use a test card, a humanitates test card, which is something similar to a COVID test or a pregnancy test, where you just put the liquid in the beginning of the card. The liquid runs up and if there's two lines, that's positive, and it's only one line it's negative.
Speaker 3: It's not the techmin test, is it.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, So the confirmatory tests that you use, that's a color test.
Speaker 1: Though right, it's a immunographic test. It's an essay, so it's not really a color test where you add the drops to the swab and it's going to change color. It's a reaction that's happening within the test card between antibodies and antigens that produce either two lines are one line.
Speaker 5: So let's take, for example, in the bedroom on the floor, the council had shown you a number of drops that were in the floor between the bed and that mirror.
Speaker 3: You did confirmatory testing on that.
Speaker 1: I did back at the lab. I screened it at the scene, and then I'm sorry, confirmed it back at.
Speaker 3: The lab, and that confirmed that it was human blood.
Speaker 1: It confirms that it's blood, and it indicates human blood.
Speaker 2: There is cost.
Speaker 1: So the test card that we use indicates that it confirms that it's blood. It indicates human blood because it may react with primate blood, so it's not specific to human blood.
Speaker 5: Confirming that the stains that are on the floor of the bedroom, all the blood, all those stains iron in fact human blood.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm confirming the single stain that I collected from is blood, all right.
Speaker 5: And when you say the single stain, that would be a used the Q tip and you swab it, and that would be from all of these stains that were all over the place on the floor, right.
Speaker 1: I did not swab each individual stain. I took a swab from each collection of scenes.
Speaker 5: Okay, And that was human blood, confirmatory indicating it was human right.
Speaker 1: It was confirmatory for blood and indicated human blood.
Speaker 3: All right. Now.
Speaker 5: One of the exhibits that the district attorney had pointed out was.
Speaker 3: Mirror. There were one six one Do you remember that the mirror?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: I do you see those drops that appear to be going down.
Speaker 3: From above in a downward direction.
Speaker 1: I do see the red brown scenes, and yes, I performed a screening test on one of them at the scene.
Speaker 5: Okay, and you're again you're comfortable that that in fact is human blood.
Speaker 1: I did not perform confirmatory tests on that specific stain back at the lab, So I just screened it at the scene, and that stain was not tested any further at that time. It was what I performed a screening test at the scene. I did not perform any confirmatory tests on that specific stain back at the lab.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no doubt that the stains that are depicted on the full length mirror that we can see in Exhibit one point sixty one, and the stains that were on the floor next to the bed, and the stains that were on the floor in front of the bed heading towards the door, all with the same consistency.
Speaker 1: Right, I did make it indetermination whether or not they were all the same consistency human blood. I did not make a determination that they were human blood. So besent the scientific results, I cannot say that they were human blood.
Speaker 5: The substance that's on the floor and the substance that's in the mirror and the substance that's on the doorknob and the drops that are heading out of the bedroom, those in fact more probable than not would be human blood.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I do make certain assumptions based on the color of a stain, the size, the shape of the stain that I could potentially be blood, and that would would indicate what I might want to test further, So I don't make an assumption off the fact that it's going to be human blood. That's why we perform scientific testing to screen for blood and then to confirm its blood.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this year you indicated with some type of insulation.
Speaker 1: That's what appeared to me. I mean, I'm not an expert, but that's it looked like some sort of foam insulation and it's.
Speaker 3: A little difficult to see with it. Do that there? I love the little orange looks like a little balloon.
Speaker 5: But let's say it's installation, or let's say it's something for bugs. You see the red substance on that. I do see the red substance, red brown stain on that window ledge or window sill.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do you that I did not test that specific.
Speaker 3: Stain, now, ye, so do we know if that was blood?
Speaker 1: No, not at this time. Right, it appears to be a red brown stain on the X tire of the windowsill, but I did not do any testing on it, and.
Speaker 3: Did I hate it correctly that.
Speaker 5: It was five months later that the state police investigators decided that you would get the shingles off the house.
Speaker 1: I don't know when that decision was me, but that was the day that I was requested to go.
Speaker 5: Out and then the district attorney showed you the shingles and envelopes.
Speaker 3: You opened them up and.
Speaker 5: Looked at them, and you did a confirmatory test on those.
Speaker 1: I did not. I performed a screening test on each of those scenes at the scene. I did not perform a confirmatory test on those scenes due to the fact that the red brown stain color was no longer visible, so potentially the because of the weather. Right, at some point the red brown stains appeared darker. They were no longer red browns, so I thought that the material could be less. I didn't want to use any additional material for confirmatory testing.
Speaker 5: School, as a chemist, you learn how to testify yes. One of the things they tell you is look at the jury when the lawyer asked a question, you look at the jury and you answer.
Speaker 1: The question that's correct.
Speaker 3: So can you just look at me.
Speaker 5: When I asked you just a little bit a question, would you agree that whether affects degrees.
Speaker 3: Blood if in.
Speaker 5: Fact it is on an object and allowed to stay outside?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: And then and then you'd agree with me that what you noted appeared to be dark?
Speaker 3: Yes, would almost be like back Gwano for that matter. We don't know what it is, right.
Speaker 1: No, I cannot make determination what it was like. I just performed a screening test, so I could not confirm it was blood. They just screamed positive for blood.
Speaker 5: Do you remember there was a red brown stain on the door of the bedroom from inside of the dead going out?
Speaker 3: Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: Potentially? I noticed it. I don't believe I didn't clutch from that.
Speaker 3: We don't know if that's play correct. And how about the drops, the red brown drops that were by the door, directly underneath the doorknob. Did you test those with your swaps?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 20: I did not totally right, caalthy redirected.
Speaker 2: You were attempting to explain why you did not perform confirmatory testing on the shingles. Can you explain that to the drinks.
Speaker 1: Because I can no longer see the red brown stain, it just appeared more of a darker scene, a lighter sain that I preesously saw at the scene. Given that that material, whatever it was, on the shingle may have been limited, using performing confirmatory tests is using up additional material to perform that test. So, given that was already potentially limited due to the nditions and the time that had passed, and the fact that I can no longer see the red brown stain, I simply performed the screening test, and once that was positive, I took a swab and just preserved it. I did not perform any more testing in a lab on that swab.
Speaker 2: And is that because you would need something to forward onto DNA if you wanted additional.
Speaker 1: Testing to be done, correct, I would have had to use up a portion of that sample to perform the confirmatory tests. And I didn't think that that was in the best interests of the case, given the fact that the material may already have been limited, And.
Speaker 2: You indicated that you had previously seen those red brown stains in those same areas that you swabbed, and the shingles were collected back in January.
Speaker 1: Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 16: Anything further all right, thank you, thank you, right, good morning, sir, Yes, council.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Could you please tell the journey your first and last name.
Speaker 18: Yes, my first name is Jonathan. My last name is O'Laughlin.
Speaker 2: And can you spell your last name for the record?
Speaker 3: O l ou G H l I N.
Speaker 2: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 18: I'm a trooper with the Massachusett of State Police.
Speaker 2: How long have you been a trooper?
Speaker 18: Hired in October of twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: And what is your current assignment with the state Police Right.
Speaker 18: Now, I work in the Division and Field Services and I'm assigned to the State Police Logan Airport Barracks.
Speaker 2: Going back to January of twenty twenty three, what was your assignment with the state Police?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 18: I worked in crime Scene Services section?
Speaker 2: And how long have you worked in crime scene Services?
Speaker 18: I started in February of twenty twenty And.
Speaker 2: When did you move to your new assignment?
Speaker 18: I left crime scene in October of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 8: So do you.
Speaker 2: Undergo specific training as a trooper to work in that crime scene services section?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: What kind of training do you get?
Speaker 18: So we did internal training in the lab, the crime lab. A lot of it was the beginning was reading about crime scene processing and fingerprinting, and then it would move on to doing mock cases, following other crime scene Services members around to observe, and then it went on to do a competency test where you would process a mock scene, develop fingerprints.
Speaker 3: And analyze them.
Speaker 18: It kind of pulled it all together, and then that would go on to a quality assurance program within the lab and they would determine if you were qualified to be on call.
Speaker 2: And other What things do you do as a crime scene Services trooper? What are your responsibilities?
Speaker 18: So we respond to all different types of crime scenes. At every single crime scene. The main thing you do at every scene, no matter what it is, is document the scene with photographs. Depending on the type of scene you're at, you may also document the scene with video. You may also sketch the scene by hand, and then also you may collect items of evidence to be processed later or you may even process items at the scene. What you're processing for is fingerprints. You try to develop fingerprints if there are any you can do fingerprint analysis and try to determine whose fingerprints are on the items of evidence.
Speaker 2: And that can be done at a crime scene, but it also can be done back at the crime laboratory correct correct, depending on the item and where it was located.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: As far as your response to particular scenes, do you often go out to crime scenes in tandem with or with a crime scene response unit investigator scientist. Yes, And you indicated that one of the first things and one of the main things you do is document scenes. Is it best practice to be kind of that first in after a scene is secured, to document the scene as it appeared. Yes, And how do you do that?
Speaker 18: So when you respond to a scene, usually the that you respond to, the local police department will secure the scene, which means they don't allow anyone in to disrupt the scene until you get there. Then you start with photographing the exterior of the residents, and then you walk in and just document the entire scene, room by room as it is.
Speaker 2: And after that's done, do you kind of go back through and highlight or identify in any way on particular things that may be relevant to the investigation. Yes, the crime scene you're responding to, Yes, And how do you identify in the documentation items that might have some relevance or evidence your value.
Speaker 18: So some items might kind of be obvious that they're involved in the crime, that are still there, those you want to document further. And sometimes a detective.
Speaker 3: Detective unit or.
Speaker 18: A member will ask you to document another piece of evidence that they would like collected or they would like further looked at.
Speaker 2: And you indicated that with crime scene services you respond to all different kinds of scenes and all different types of law enforcement. So sometimes do you work with the local city or town departments. Yes, And in investigations where a death has occurred, who are the primary law enforcement that you're working with?
Speaker 18: So they will be local and there will also be the county stay police detective unit will also respond for any death investigation.
Speaker 2: Now, when you are processing a scene or documenting a scene, do you do anything to identify and highlight the items that have been either pointed out to you or that you've seen that could have value in the case.
Speaker 3: Yes, what do you do? So?
Speaker 18: But those we put what's called placards, and placards are pieces of plastic.
Speaker 3: That have numbers on them.
Speaker 18: That way, when you're going through the photos, you can refer to them as placard. One placard two and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: And as far as further processing the scene between yourself and the crime scene response are some items sometimes collected by either yourself or the crime scene response unit?
Speaker 3: Yes, And when you.
Speaker 2: Collect an item, do you identify it in some other way? Yes.
Speaker 18: When you collect an item and there it's put into evidence in the lab.
Speaker 3: It's given a lab number.
Speaker 18: The lab number doesn't doesn't match up, doesn't have to match up with the platcard number. The PLAT cards simply for your photos. And then the lab number is the number that will be associated with that piece of evidence all through the crime lab procedure process, all the way through the trial.
Speaker 2: And when you go to crime scenes for inside houses, for instance, is it oftentimes the case that your processing the crime scene at the same time investigators are getting into a location with a search for it.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And so when that's the circumstance, do you photograph and document everything that you can?
Speaker 18: I'm sorry, can you sure I can put that?
Speaker 2: That's a bad question. When you are with kind of the local law enforcement, do you document things oftentimes that maybe you don't collect and take back to the lab or the forensic scientist doesn't but might have value or relevance to the police. Yes, and in those instances, they're not assigned to those same item numbers.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: I'm going to draw your attention to January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three. Do you recall going or being called out to forty seven Summer Street in Duxbury.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: And what was your role on that scene?
Speaker 18: So the role was was Plymouth State Police Detective unit have been called out to what was reported as a homicide at that address, So we were called out to document the scene and collect any items of evidence that needed to be processed.
Speaker 2: Now in relation to this particular investigation. When you arrived there, had the State Police and the Duxbury Police already secured the home. Yes, And again in this situation where you you arriving and going into the home at the same time that a search warrant was being executed.
Speaker 18: Yes, we waited for the search warrant to be signed, brought to the scene, and then photographed the search warrant, and then we started documenting the scene.
Speaker 2: And fair to say, in this case, there were a number of items that were identified by your unit by the placards.
Speaker 9: Yes, and.
Speaker 2: If I if I tell you that you documented eight specific placards at the crime scene on that particular day, does that sound about right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: It does, okay, including a brown belt, some exercise bands, three in particular, a pair of red pajamas, a pink sweatshirt or a robe, a pink piece of clothing, a knife with black handle, and a phone. Yes, sound right, it does. And I will go through each and every item because we've seen several of those items before, but just in particular as it relates to placards seven and eight. I'm just gonna ask you to take a look at some photos.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So I'm.
Speaker 2: Showing you a photograph of placard seven. Is that familiar to you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And what is the placard seven? What was that to highlight or depict?
Speaker 18: That was a knife covering a red brown stain found in the upstairs master bedroom, that.
Speaker 4: May be admitted.
Speaker 2: And I'm showing you another photograph with depicting placard number eight. Is that familiar to you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And that was a cell phone that was also noted in your documentation of the scene.
Speaker 4: Correct, yes, ap admitted.
Speaker 2: Now, as far as collecting of particular items on this scene. You're aware that there were several of the placarded items that were collected by crime scene services for to take back to the lab. Yes, and fair to say, the yellow exercise band at placard number two, the black exercise band at placard number three, the blue exercise band at placard number four, the red pajamas, and the silver knife of the black handle were all collected.
Speaker 18: Yes, I believe the red pajamas were collected by the crime scene response.
Speaker 2: It okay, do you recall collecting the knife?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why would you collect the knife as part of the crime scene response or excuse me.
Speaker 4: There's no objection to any of this, and so I'll allow this line of ink. We just to kind of put things in respect.
Speaker 2: You good, thank you. Why would you collect the knife as part of the crime scene services as opposed to the crime scene response?
Speaker 18: So we would collect a knife because that would be an item that would be processed for fingerprints at the lab.
Speaker 2: And based on your training and experience, a fingerprint analysis is that something that should happen before any other biological testing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And why is that?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 18: Fingerprints are extremely fragile, anything that the forensic scientists would do would destroy any fingerprints that may or may not be that may be on an item of evidence.
Speaker 2: And so I'm just going to approach and show you an item. Is that item familiar to you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that the knife that you collected that was located at black for number seven?
Speaker 3: Yes? Thank you.
Speaker 2: That may be admitted now that knife was brought back to the crime lab to your unit.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And in addition to the knife, did you also bring back the exercise bands yes. As far as your analysis of those items for fingerprints, what did you do to try to identify if there were anything on them?
Speaker 18: So when we're examining for fingerprints, we're looking for latent prints, which are fingerprints that aren't necessarily visible to the naked eye. Therefore chemicals must be applied to bring it out to make them visible. Those are non porous items, So for those we would use it's commonly referred to what was cyano accolade esther it's more commonly known as super glue, and we put them in a chamber with the super glue. The super glue is is heated. There's water, so there's humidity in this chamber. The entire chamber fills with supergroup fume, super glue fume, So it's adheres to anything fingerprint related on those items. Once the chamber is cleared of the fumes, you open it and then you can now see if there are any fingerprints on there.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: And is it fair to say that when you touch an item and like leave some remnants of a fingerprint, it's your the oils and everything that are on your finger that leave the impression on the item.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And so are there things that can affect whether you actually get enough information to analyze a fingerprint?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: What kinds of things can influence that?
Speaker 18: So it could be the texture of the actual object itself. It could also be environmental factors. There's low humidity, could be if there's the person touching the item might not have residue on their on their hands. There's also movement can affect fingerprints. The strength the grip on an item also affects as well as they could be wiped off because fingerprints, like you said, are very very very fragile.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: And so is it oftentimes the case that you analyze for a print and don't find anything of value. Yes, And so as it pertains to these items that you viewed, the knife the exercise bands. Can you tell us what your findings were when it came to the knife.
Speaker 18: Yes, the knife did have limited detail, meaning that there there were areas of friction ridge impressions, which is referred that's what we've referred to fingerprints is the friction ridge skin is the skin that covers your palms and your fingers, and your toes and your feet. The friction ridge skin is what leaves the impression on an object. So there was there were there wasn't an area of friction ridge impression on that knife, so it was photographed further and giving an item number upon further analysis, there was not enough detail to do a comparison.
Speaker 2: So when you photograph it for further analysis, why do you do that?
Speaker 18: Do that in order to take a deeper look to see if if there was there was enough characteristics or minutia to do a comparison to a known print.
Speaker 2: With a photograph, you can enhance it and look at it closer. Correct correct, But after doing that, were you able to make any sort of opinions about that area and the knife?
Speaker 18: Yes, there was not enough characteristics or maneution to do any comparison, so it was deemed no value.
Speaker 2: And as far as the exercise bands, fair to say, you also did the same and examine those to try to identify if they had any friction, rich detail, or anything of value that you could conduct a comparison on. Right, Yes, and was there any on either either the yellow band, the black band, or the blue band.
Speaker 3: No, there was not enough to do no value.
Speaker 2: And after you're done looking for these delicate fingerprints, what do you do with the items next?
Speaker 18: So the ends are repackaged and they moved on to the forensic scientists to do their testing, and.
Speaker 2: Usually that's the criminalistics unit first. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now, in this particular case, as we discussed, you were also documenting as state police were executing a search warrant. Correct, Yes, and you did that again with additional photographs. Yes, I'm just going to show you a couple photographs, if that's okay, the three photographs. That's the first one. It's a little hard to see. What do you see an item depicted in there?
Speaker 3: Square? Item? I'm sorry, were exactly do you well?
Speaker 2: Do you do you see that this photograph a little washed out, but it depicts an area of the.
Speaker 3: Home, yes, or an item in the home. Yes, yes, yes, the dress.
Speaker 2: And then I have another photograph with a drawer open. Is that familiar to you? And then a third one with an action item pulled out? Yes, and fair to say you when you're photographing things as they are found, you photograph where it comes from as it's being examined, and then the item and the other stuff. Yes, the location of a ground journal.
Speaker 4: Yes, those may be admitted.
Speaker 5: So basically, how long is your course that you take to become a crime scene technician to the state police, So.
Speaker 18: Before you're certified for fingerprints, it's usually about a year, So you're working in that crime scene services unit for a year while you're going to the school for it. Yes, it's it's more of an internal training. You don't go to a specific school. But yes, so you told us.
Speaker 5: About your training, You told us about your experience, You told us about fingerprints, You told us how you seize items in the course of the search warrant, and then you told us about looking at the photo graphs that would and the items that would depict friction ridge if any. But the bottom line is that you didn't get any fingerprints, correct, and that you could have just said that right, just come on the witness stand say we didn't get any fingerprints. It's a state So then you're talking about it as the state police investigating this case. You guys walk around and you have cameras and you take pictures, right, yes, so you told us about Well how about when you're executing a search warrant? Are you supposed to be thorough in the course of your search for items?
Speaker 18: I don't search for items, sorry, everything I do with yes, I document.
Speaker 3: I found.
Speaker 5: In addition to the drugs that were found in the kitchen, and I found these internet's.
Speaker 3: And you were a photographed there right, yes, no, I have no critical redirect.
Speaker 4: Nice, definitely coming.
Speaker 2: We would call hillaryis.
Speaker 17: My good afternoon?
Speaker 2: All right, council, thank you, Sorry, it's okay, good afternoon. Can you tell the Jersey your first and last name, Hillary Griffiths and can you spell your last name for the record.
Speaker 19: Gri f fi thhs. And where do you work? I work at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Laboratory.
Speaker 2: What do you do there?
Speaker 19: I am a forensic scientist in the toxicology unit. How long have you been with the State Police for twenty one years? And have you spent your entire career in the toxicology unit or have you worked in other units? Initially I worked in the DNA unit and then in the office of Alcohol Testing, but I have been in the toxicology unit since twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: What does the toxicology unit do At the crime lab?
Speaker 19: We test biological specimens, primarily blood and urine and some other sample types for the presence of drugs, alcohol, and some poisons to aid in criminal legal investigations. Where does the samples the blood and urine come from before it gets to your lab. They could come from like often hospital collections of blood and urine. Occasionally, urine samples can be collected from a defendant at a policy station. Also, we receive samples from the medical examiner's office.
Speaker 2: So normally it comes through some law enforcement channel, right, yes, and sometimes through the medical examiner's office. Yes, you don't have any direct involvement in the collection of the blood or urine from an individual, correct, Correct, You're just looking at the blood itself, yes, or the urine yes, Okay, So what kinds of testing is done in the toxicology unit? You mentioned alcohol and drugs and poison, So how does the toxicology unit handle those things?
Speaker 19: We initially screen samples following a particular testing strategy depending on case type, and we will screen samples and then confirm whatever is found positive in the screening using a second methodology or repeating the initial methodology using a variety of different techniques. And when a sample comes to your unit, can you explain to us how the personnel in that unit divides up the work. Yes, Our samples are tested in a batch system, So each analyst is assigned a particular task for the month, and then any case that requires that test during that month is performed by that individual. So often cases could need anywhere from three to ten different tests to be done, and so different individuals will conduct each different test. And for any given case or any different lab number, is there an analyst that's kind of assigned at the end of it all to digest or analyze all of the data.
Speaker 2: Yes, When all.
Speaker 19: Of the testing is completed for a case, an analyst takes responsibility for that case and they will review all of the raw data that's generated by the different analysts involved. They'll review the case in specific information like the police report, the documentation on the evidence itself.
Speaker 2: They'll assess the case as.
Speaker 19: A whole and they'll generate a report containing their findings. And do you receive some sort of specialized training to be part of the toxicology unit?
Speaker 2: Yes? What training do you receive?
Speaker 19: When I began working in the toxicology unit, I participated in approximately a year long training program where I connected literature reviews, attended lectures to learn the theory behind the testing and the testing process itself, as well as the interpretation of the results. And then I practiced each of the techniques on mock cases and then took tests to ensure that I understood the logic and the background behind the testing. I understood the interpretation, and I was able to test these mock cases and get the correct results prior to performing those methods on case for examples, And.
Speaker 2: You described to us that the work is done in a batch flow process, so that you could be doing different things at various points. Are you trained to do each part of the process, Yes, and so ultimately you could interpret, but you don't always interpret with every single case that you work on. Correct Now, in the toxicology unit, you mentioned that there are screening tests and there are confirmatory tests, and those are usually assigned differently in this batch process. Correct, it can be yes. What are generally the green tests that are done when a case comes into the Toxic College unit. For the most part, all cases receive an Eliza screen, which is a very quick color screening test that looks for eight different types of drugs. It's very sensitive but not very specific, so it basically says this type of drug might be present.
Speaker 19: Now go do follow up testing to find out specifically what's present. They also all receive a general Unknown screen, which looks for several hundred different prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, and.
Speaker 2: Drugs of abuse.
Speaker 19: Then, depending on the case type, they can be screened for alcohol, and they can be screened specific screening tests for GHB can be performed.
Speaker 2: If the case type warrants.
Speaker 3: That D alcohol I mean really good, you can.
Speaker 19: Continue and then depending on what is present from those screening tests, that will guide the follow up testing.
Speaker 2: And with the follow up testing, that's the process of going through that secondary confirmatory testing right, correct. And in some instances with the screens, are you looking to get any sort of specific information about a particular drug or substance that might be present or is it just a determination of whether something is detected or not detected.
Speaker 19: It depends on the test itself and the sample. The general unknown screen only tells us if a substance is detected or not detected. The general unknown screen can be run as both a screening tests and confirmatory test. With other tests, the screening test would just be qualitative and we would determine if a substance is present or not, such as when we test urine. We can only determine or report out if a substance is present or not with some tests. When testing blood, we can determine a concentration and know how much of the drug is present and if there limitations at your lab as far as determining concentration of certain types of drugs in blood. Yes, and so what happens when your lab might have screened or detected a substance but doesn't have the ability to.
Speaker 2: Give a concentration. What do you do with that?
Speaker 19: We can if the substance is confirmed, so if we've tested it twice and verify that it's definitely present, we can report it out as just detected as opposed to giving the concentration.
Speaker 2: Do you often work with other independent outside laboratories to do additional testing that you can't as far as determining concentrations or levels. Yes, if it's important for the case to know a concentration of a substance that we can't quantify ourselves, we can send it to a different laboratory that can perform that testing. I'm going to draw your attention to a laboratory number twenty three DASH zero one seven two three. Do you recall doing work on that particular lab number?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do you recall what your role was in that batch process for the lab number?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 19: I performed the conformation method for benzodiazepines on the urine sample and the quantitation method for benzodiazepines on the blood sample.
Speaker 2: And in order to do well, can you tell us a little bit about the benzodiazepine What did you do as far as it that particular test.
Speaker 19: When it's testing both the blood and the urine, for the most part, the same method is used. We use solid phase extraction method to separate the drugs from the rest of.
Speaker 2: The biological material.
Speaker 19: Biological materials can have things like lipids and steroids and blood cells and bacteria and other things that can interfere with their testing, So we use this solid phase extraction method to separate the drugs and concentrate them to be able to run on our instrument, and then we run them on a LCMSMS, which is a liquid chromatograph mass spectrometer that can separate the different drugs and identify specifically which one.
Speaker 2: Is present and how much is there.
Speaker 19: When we're testing blood samples, we can report out that value for how much is present when testing urine samples by this method.
Speaker 2: Although the method itself can determine how much is present.
Speaker 19: We don't report that out because concentrations in urine aren't really meaningful. They don't reflect any concentration that had previously been in the blood. They mostly just reflect how much of the drug was present in the urine, so we don't report that. There is an additional step that's needed when testing urine at the beginning of the method. But otherwise, both the blood and the urine are tested in the same manner using the solid phase extraction and the LCMSMS.
Speaker 2: And in this case with this laboratory number, the Toxicollege unit was in fact provided with six files of blood in one vial of urine. Correct there were four vials of blood and then two vials of serum plasma which had started out as blood but were serum by the time we received them. And then one two B of urine. Okay. And as far as the urine goes in your role in this batch process, you conducted that benzardiazpine screen correct yes, and it was positive.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then the further testing were you able to detect any particular benzardiazepines in the urine. I didn't conduct the initial benzodiazepine screen through the Eliza method, which was positive. Based on that positive result, I ran the conformation method on the urine which identified the specific drugs that were present and then identified in urine nor diazepam, oxazepam, temazipam, and lurazepam. And based on your training experience, when it comes to those substances, if it's detected in either blood or does it mean that there are those four separate substances or could they be derivatives of one particular drug.
Speaker 19: Yes, each of those substances is available as its own drug. You can get prescriptions from them, you can purchase them. However, diazepam that's more commonly used than nordiazipam, oxazepam, and tenazipam breaks down into those other three substances. So often when we detect nordiazepam, oxazepam, and tenazipam, they actually are present in the body because diazepam or another benzodiazepin was initially taken and it broke down to those three.
Speaker 2: But as far as your testing is when it comes to urine, you can't determine or quantify what it was or if it was one drug or multiple. Correct. Now, in this particular case, you indicated that there was also further testing done on the blood. Correct. Yes, And was it a well for the benzodiazepines. Yes, and that was just because that was your role in the batch testing for this case. Yes, what were the results in the testing of the benzodiazepines in the blood?
Speaker 19: The blood contained eight point eight nanograms per mil a leader of diazepam and twenty nanograms per mila leader of nordiazepam and four point eight nanograms per mil of oxazipam, and one point nine nanograms per mil of tmaza pam and sixty one nanograms per mil of lurazapam.
Speaker 2: And in your role in this testing process, you're just running the equipment, running the test and getting the data correct. There is some analysis of the data.
Speaker 19: I have to ensure that the controls performed appropriately, that the instrument was running properly, and make a decision based on the instrument data what I considered to be positive or not. But then it's handed off to an other analysts who generates the final report.
Speaker 2: And in this case, where all the controls appropriate, all the equipment running effectively, and everything done according to the policies and procedures of the lab.
Speaker 19: Ultimately all of the relevant controls that were associated with the samples performed appropriately.
Speaker 2: What did you do with the information or the data that you received as a result of these tests? What did you do with it?
Speaker 19: I put it together in a batch file that contained all the data for my analysis. It contained the case data for the samples that were run on that day, as well as all the control data that was run simultaneously and other traceability type info.
Speaker 2: And gave it to another analyst who reviewed.
Speaker 19: It to ensure that laboratory policies and procedures were followed, that the controls performed appropriately in order to report the results, and that the results were scientifically accurate. And then after that analyst agreed with my findings. The data was.
Speaker 2: Put into the individual case lifeles, and in this case, the reporting analyst for the entire lab lab number of twenty three DASH zero one seven two three was in fact somebody by the name of Nicholas Roberts. Correct. Yes, And you're aware that there were other forensic scientists who did other testing for other types of drugs in the same test, but it wasn't part of your role or your batch. Correct, Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's greaty.
Speaker 5: So the toxicology report you're familiar with was dated February twenty fourth of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Is that correct? Do you have it in front of you?
Speaker 2: I can't refer today, Yeah, great.
Speaker 5: Thank you, yes, okay, and you can keep it right there and look at it, and then you have it makes reference to your lab number, and then it talks about the specimens that you've indicated, which would be the toxicology blood times for seren plasma you noted seren plasma and then urine right, yes. And when you say serum plasma, what is that? Is that just a breakdown of the blood or is it that that was actual plasma that was submitted? How did that come about? As opposed to the actual blood. In items number one, two, and.
Speaker 19: Three, we received samples that were taken for medical reasons, and the sample that was initially drawn would have been blood, but the hospital would have separated the blood cells from the liquid portion of the sample prior to it being submitted to our lab. So what I received it it was serum plasma, but it would have initially been blood.
Speaker 5: Okay, And likewise with the urine correct, yes, And you received all of these items in indicating light blue top tube, potassium oxalate, sodium fluoride that would just so prevent coagulation.
Speaker 2: Right, yes.
Speaker 5: And then looking down further, it says on the toxicology blood you make rep too, as you indicated the eight point eight diazepam, the nord diazepam, the ox azipam, tamazepam, razipam, and you're putting down would that be nanograms per miller leaders n G M L Yes, okay, And it's kind of had to follow through with that, so I'm going to approach you this is a copy.
Speaker 3: Of the blood toxicology before that you're referring.
Speaker 2: To, right, sure, of course, yes, And.
Speaker 5: This is the tox report for Lindsey Clancy right, yes, and it's making reference to incident data January twenty fourth and twenty three, correctly.
Speaker 3: Yes, ob chichen.
Speaker 8: No, that may be admitted.
Speaker 3: You can continue.
Speaker 5: You then make reference to organic bases and neutrals, right, yes? Can you tell me what is an organic basin a neutral?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: That refers to?
Speaker 19: So the line above that the organic acids and neutrals and the organic bases and neutrals refer to the results from the general unknown screen, which is another screen that was performed by a different analyst.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: Do you know who the analyst was, Lisa Yell And would that be with the Department of the Massachusetts State Police?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, And as it relates to the Talks report, it also notes that what is an organic base and a neutral?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Though? I just don't know.
Speaker 19: This testing procedure separates the drugs present in the sample into drugs that are more basic in nature and drugs that are more acidic in nature. This test looks for several hundred types of drugs, and so in order to customize the extraction method to target certain drugs, the sample is divided into two fractions.
Speaker 5: So, in other words, it gives you a broader spectrum, if you will, of the drugs that would be in the person's uh sample of their blood, right, yes, And that detected meritazepine, right yes, maatrogene right yes, probably mispronouncing this quietapinetiopine, quotiopene, and quotiopine metabolite, right, yes, as well as trazodone right correct, And just tell me what is a metabolite?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Tiopine metabolite.
Speaker 19: When we consume drugs, our body will break down the drug, often into another molecule before it's being extreted, and sometimes our testing can detect these breakdown molecules as well. So this test detected both quotiopine as well as its breakdown product.
Speaker 5: So there was that would indicate that there was critiopine that was in the blood as well as a quotyopine metabolite or a breakdown over a passage of time.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 3: Also, just you guys checked for everything.
Speaker 5: There's no alcohol detected, right correct, noemphetamines detected, right correct. It was a benzo screen that was positive, which we've already talked about, correct, yes, uh, we but penofarine screen none detected, right, Yes, cocaine, infentanyl none right, yes, methamphetamines none correct, it's none, yes, cannabinoids that would be weed, right none.
Speaker 2: It's the active molecule in there.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh, Diazepam none.
Speaker 5: Yes, nor diazepam detected correct, oxes pam detected yes, term az apam detected yes, detected right yes. And then finally it says organic acids and neutrals none detected.
Speaker 3: Right yes, And then you talk about that would be the acids.
Speaker 5: Then you talk about the actual organic bases, and it lists all of the other items that we just went through. Trazodone trasidome metabolite for example, So you have the trasidon plus to break down of the metabolite, you have the mertazepine as well as metazepine metabolite, right correct, the matrogene quietipene, and the quietipine metabolite right correct.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: You would also, in your direct examination made reference to another.
Speaker 3: Lab that you all work with. Apparently they've had occasion to work with right.
Speaker 2: Occasionally we have sent samples to another lab.
Speaker 5: Okay, would that be NMS Labs located in Horsesham h u r Saha, n Pennsylvania.
Speaker 19: NMS labs. I don't recall the location of the lab.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you know NMS labs and that's pretty well known, right, yes, you guys right? And was a sample Lev Lindsay's blood sent to that place as well?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: And were there results for that as a result of the examination.
Speaker 8: I believe?
Speaker 3: So, okay, I'm going to approach you with far sure, all right, redirect?
Speaker 17: Okay, thank you, mam said down thing, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, common would call Lisa Yell? Thanks?
Speaker 17: Oh you good afternoon, aie, come thank you?
Speaker 2: Good ascanoon, ma'am. Can you please tell the jurors your first and last name.
Speaker 8: My name is Lisa Yell spelled y E l l E.
Speaker 2: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 8: I currently work at a biotech pharmacy company.
Speaker 2: Did you work for the Massachusetts Please Crime Lab at some point?
Speaker 3: Yes? I did?
Speaker 2: And how long did you work for the crime lab?
Speaker 8: For fifteen years?
Speaker 2: And in January of twenty twenty three? What unit were you working with at the crime lab?
Speaker 8: The toxicology unit?
Speaker 2: Okay, and more specifically, I guess February of twenty twenty three, were still in that unit.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now I'm just going to draw your attention right to this particular case. We're talking about labatory number twenty three dash zero one seven two three. Did you do any batch work on this particular case?
Speaker 8: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: And what testing did you do in relation to the samples of this lab number?
Speaker 8: It was a test that was known as the general unknown screen.
Speaker 2: Can you tell the jury what the general unknown screen does? What it tests?
Speaker 8: For sure? That's a screening test for drugs.
Speaker 21: It essentially would test for hundreds of different prescription medications or drugs of abuse.
Speaker 2: And in this particular test, the general unknown screen, is there a portion of testing in the lab for general unknowns that would allow you to quantify when certain substances are detected?
Speaker 21: The General unknown screen is not a quanti viable test. It's just an identification screen. So you wouldn't be able to attribute a specific level of the drug, but just the identification that it was present or not.
Speaker 2: So it would be a detected or non detected situation.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 2: And in this particular case, items ten one zero one involved a vile of blood that was submitted to the laboratory. Correct, Yes, and you did the general unknown screen for the blood?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And what were the substances that were detected in that sample of blood.
Speaker 21: Would I be able to reference sure, just to ensure that I'm attributing everything.
Speaker 2: Eighty three is that refresher memories to the substances. Yes, for tazepinemtrogene, tras doon the doonem.
Speaker 21: In that test, there was a syringe issue, which means essentially, if you consider a needle that has a plunger on the top, it would have essentially gotten stuck at some point within the batch run, which could run for twenty four to forty eight hours. It's a very lengthy run. So once the error is notified, it's a very simple switch. You just pull the syringe out, place it back, place a new one back into that same spot, and then you would restart your run from that point forward, including a control just to ensure that the instrument is still functioning the way that it should.
Speaker 2: And so would that type of error that you observed in the equipment affect the results of the test not in any way. And in addition to the testing or running this general unknown screen on the blood, you also ran a general unknown screen on urine which was identified as item ten dash two zero one. Correct.
Speaker 8: That's correct?
Speaker 2: And were those same substances detected in the urine.
Speaker 8: Yes, they were.
Speaker 2: And again, as far as those particular substances in the general unknown screen are known screen tests for urine, are you able to quantify it in any way?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say that there are other laboratories across the country that potentially could quantify those substances. Yes, And so in this case, are you aware that there were samples of the blood and that were sent to another lab because of those positive tests for those substances?
Speaker 8: I am not aware.
Speaker 2: Okay, you weren't the reporting analysts in this case? Correct?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: I was not. So after you did those general unknown screens in the blood in the urine, what did you do with the information the testing.
Speaker 21: Every independent sample receives its own summary sheet where you document any possible drugs that were detected. All of the sheets are submitted to what's called a batch review, so a secondary person will independently review everything and ensure that they have that drew the same conclusions that I did. Once both people have agreed, all of the paperwork that is generated as filed within the respective case files, and then that's later submitted to an analyst at random to author the report and review the entirety of the case.
Speaker 2: And in this particular case for Lab number twenty three zero one seven two three, you're aware that Nicholas Roberts was the reporting analyst correct correct and any decisions on any further testing were likely made through him.
Speaker 21: In your experience, yes, it definitely would not have been part of the role for someone doing a portion of the testing within a case.
Speaker 2: And as far as the particular substances that were detected when you are running these tests, it doesn't tell you that there were several different drugs that were necessarily consumed by the individual.
Speaker 8: Correct finish in your question, well, are there.
Speaker 2: Certain substances that come up in these screens that could be attributable to the same type of drug?
Speaker 21: There are certain we would call them parent drugs metabolites. Once you ingest the medication, your body will begin to metabolize or break that drug down, So there could be metabolites that are related to the parent compound of the medication that was taken.
Speaker 2: So where there were five there were five positive or detected substances, doesn't mean that there was five specific substances, especially where there was a metabolite detected. Correct I guess that.
Speaker 21: I'm not sure I follow your question again, that's okay.
Speaker 2: As far as these particular items or these particular substances that were detected in these screens, weren't able to provide any further information for final review other than they were detected, correct, thank you. Nothing further.
Speaker 5: Basically, as the court knows, we agree to this, We stipulate to all of this. As far as the blood that chain, the custody, the testing, you didn't have any problems with the quality of.
Speaker 3: The testing, right, It was good test.
Speaker 8: It was a good test.
Speaker 5: So and the results that have been described numerous times. There's the reference to metabolite and there's five drugs, doesn't mean there's five drugs that could be one drug.
Speaker 3: With a metabolite.
Speaker 5: All the metabolite means is that it's a breakdown of the same drug at some point, right, correct, Like if you're smoking marijuana or something you have CABOXI nine or whatever they follow, it can be some residue in your blood.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, the way that from the breakdown, Yes.
Speaker 5: And the lab the console was referring to again would be the is it the n MS lab. You're familiar with that and that lab does exist. Yes, yeah, and what does that mean? Do you know what n MS means? Is like national something?
Speaker 8: I'm not familiar with the acronym.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, it's all I have. Thanks, thank you, we said thank you.
Speaker 2: Col Cybaris.
Speaker 4: At this point, I'm gonna ask you to come back two o'clock. There's another couple of witnesses.
Speaker 3: We still want.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gonna make it spend, but we'll have a couple of witnesses this afternoon.
Speaker 3: We'll kind of see where we go.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, thank.
Speaker 20: You, all right, please sure, all right, so we'll be recess on this matter till two o'clock.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 9: We're not that.
Speaker 3: This is the Bringham A woman's.
Speaker 7: Policies and procedures were followed in this case and three. In addition to forensic scientists, to Alicia Zimmerman being the assigned analyst and processing samples associated with case number two three DASH zero one eight seven five Core Clancy Laboratory staff at the following roles.
Speaker 4: In the testing process.
Speaker 7: A Brittany Massette and Natalie Law conducted screening analysis on item one DASH DASH one, which was the heart blood of Cora Clancy B Henna Knowles conducted batch review analysis of screening tests conducted by Massette and law c. Marissa Dreyer and Seth Utter conducted further analysis on items one DASH one DASH one. D Emily McCall and Jacob O'Connell conducted batch review analysis of testing by Dryer and Utter, respectively. E. T. She Washington conducted a technical review of the entire case prior to the issuance of Alicia Zimmerman's report, and F. Jennifer Mahea documented the measurements of the specimens collected for possible post bortem toxicology testing. So that's the stipulation UH on Exhibit one A four regarding the test testing related to Cora clans. Exhibit one eighty five is a stipulation regarding postbortem toxicology testing relating to Dawson clancy and so number one.
Speaker 4: In accordance with.
Speaker 7: Laboratory policy and procedure, laboratory staff screen analyze and review samples submitted for testing using batch testing processing prior to final review and interpretation by the assigned analyst.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 7: All policies and procedures were followed in this case. Three, in addition to forensic scientists. I Alicia Zimmerman being the assigned analyst and processing samples associated with case number two three DASH zero one eight seven four, which was Dawson Clancy. Laboratory staff had the following.
Speaker 4: Roles in the testing process. A.
Speaker 7: Brittany Massett and Natalie Law conducted screening analysis on item one DASH one DASH one, which was the heart blood of Dawson Clancy. B. Hannah Knowles conducted batch review analysis of screening tests conducted by.
Speaker 4: Massette and Law. C.
Speaker 7: Marissa Dryer and Seth Utter conducted further analysis an item one DASH one DASH one. D Emily McCall and Jacob O'Connell conducted batch review analysis of testing by Dryer and Utter, respectfully. E. T. She Washington conducted a technical review of the entire case prior to the issuance of Alicia Zimmerman's report, and F. Jennifer Mahea document documented the measurements of the specimens collected for possible post boredem toxicology testing.
Speaker 4: And that's the.
Speaker 7: Exhibit regarding Dawson Clancy. And then the last stipulation at this time is Exhibit one eight six, and that stipulation is regarding the postmortem toxicology testing of kalum clancy and number one. In accordance with laboratory policy and procedures, laboratory staff screen analyze and review samples submitted for testing using batch testing processing prior to final.
Speaker 4: Review and interpretation by the assigned analyst.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 7: All policies and procedures were followed in this case.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 7: In addition to forensic scientists II Alicia Zimmerman being the assigned analyst and processing samples associated with case number two three DASH zero two one four, which was for calm clancy, laboratory staff had the following roles in the testing process. A.
Speaker 4: Brittany Massett was.
Speaker 7: A screening analyst for item one DASH one DASH one, which was blood from Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth. B Natalie Law and Marissa Dreyer conducted further analysis on item one DASH one dash OH one. C. Hannah Knowles and Emily McCall conducted batch review analysis of item one DASH one dash OH one. D. Seth Utter conducted analysis on item one DASH one dash O seven, which was blood from Boston Children's Hospital and one DASH one dash OH four, which was urine from Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, Plymouth. E. Nathaniel al Meta conducted batch review analysis on item one Dash one Dash O seven, and F. Robert Anderson conducted batch review analysis on item one Dash one Dash zero four. He also conducted a technical review of the entire case prior to the issuance of Alicia Zimmerman's report, and G. Jennifer Mahea documented the measurements of the specimens collected for possible post bortem poxicology testing.
Speaker 4: So those are the stipulations at this time. Keep it in mind. Do you'll have those with you and everything that's contained there with you back in the jeri room.
Speaker 17: Okay, all right, come on, thank you? All right, well, good afternoon, all.
Speaker 2: Right, come on, thank you. Could you please tell the jurors your first and list name, Alisha Zimmerman. Would you mind spelling your last name for the record.
Speaker 10: Z I M M E R M A N N.
Speaker 2: And where do you work?
Speaker 9: I work at the Massachusetts please Crime Lab.
Speaker 2: And where do you work at the crime lab?
Speaker 10: I'm in the tuxcology unit.
Speaker 2: And what's your role there?
Speaker 10: I'm a forensic scientist too.
Speaker 2: How long have you been with the crime lab?
Speaker 9: Since August two? Thousand and fourteen, and in order to work in.
Speaker 2: The toxicology unit, did you receive some specialized training and education. Yes.
Speaker 19: I have a.
Speaker 9: Bachelor's of Science some forensic science from the Pennsylvania State University, a Masters of Science some forensic science from the Virginia Commonwealth University. I also completed the Toxicology sorry Toxicologies Units training program, which included wet lab work, literature review, competency exams, and written exams.
Speaker 2: And in your role as a forensic scientist too at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab Toxicology Unit, you're familiar with the bat review testing. Yes, And as part of that process of working the workflow being in batches. Is it fair to say, at various points, different members of the unit are a science to different tasks within the toxicraft unit, and at some point you might be doing work on a case where you're actually asked to author or report at the end of the testing. Is that fair to say? Yes, if you're authorized, and are you authorized to issue reports? Yes? And what kind of forensic or excuse me, toxicology testing are you authorized to issue reports for?
Speaker 10: I'm authorized for post mortem investigation.
Speaker 2: Now as it pertains to post mortem investigation in the toxicology unit. Where does the sample? Where do samples come from?
Speaker 9: So the samples are submitted from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to the Evidence Control unit in Subbarry.
Speaker 10: They then assign a.
Speaker 9: Unique LIMBS number it's the Laboratory Information Management System number and a corresponding barcode to the evidence. They then transport the evidence to our unit in Maynard. And then we put the evidence into our custody sample a sample the evidence and assigned testing to it.
Speaker 2: And so when a sample comes to you in a post mortem situation, that's because somebody has passed away. Correct, Correct, And there doesn't always have to be a corresponding state police crime lab investigation.
Speaker 10: No, our cases are separate.
Speaker 2: So your case comes to you and gets a separate lab number from the crime lab. Correct, And it also is tracked by a lab number or a case number from the Medical Examiner's office crest. And so when you receive in the post mortem toxicology samples, do you sometimes receive blood?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: At times? Do you also receive urine samples?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: What types of screening test does the post mortem toxicology testing? What are the screening tests used? In those instances. Are those cases I should say, now when it starts circumstance where the discedent or the person who died is a child, there are additional screens that can be done. Yes, And what's the additional screen? In a child case?
Speaker 9: If the discedent is equal to or less than equal to sorry less than are equal to eleven years old? We also perform in Eliza pediatric panel, a generally known screen for acidic and neutral drugs, and a vitreous chemistry analysis.
Speaker 2: Now, in cases where your unit receives these samples from the medical examiner and a screening test is done, if no substance is detected in either of those three screens, or if in a pediatric case that fourth screen, what happens.
Speaker 10: No further testing is performed, and so.
Speaker 2: If you are the reporting analyst in those cases, you would simply know none detected. Yes, Okay, I'm going to draw your attention to a case that was submitted by the medical examiner in January of twenty twenty three. I think your unit might have reviewed the evidence in February of twenty twenty three. Are you familiar with the case involving three different post mortem toxicology testing, but all related.
Speaker 10: They are three separate reports, right that you're.
Speaker 2: Where that the children that were the subjects were related.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, just referring to first what's identified as the state police lab number twenty three DASH two one four to one, involving the decendent, Calan Clancy, you recall receiving several items in the post mortem toxicology unit to test. Yes, and it included toxicology blood that was taken from the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth, Right, is that correct, as well as blood that was collected from the Children's Hospital in Boston. Yes, and urine also collected from the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Plymouth. Yes, And we're screens done on the samples, namely the blood from bid Plymouth, the urine from bid Plymouth, and the blood from Children's hospital. Were any substances detected on those three screens and the pediatric screen that you've just described to the jury, No, they were not. And as far as the next case, which would be Laboratory number twenty three Dish zero one eight seven five, the discedent being Cora Clancy, you received some heart blood from the medical examiner's office post mortem correct, Yes. And as far as that, were those screening tests conducted in this case for Cora, Yes? And were there any substances detected?
Speaker 10: No, we did not detect anything.
Speaker 2: And as far as laboratory number twenty three dish zero one eight seven four, which is the discendent Dawson Clancy, your unit received an item one dash one zero one of heart blood from Dawson Clancy correct, Yes, and that was also post mortem.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 2: And where those screening tests, those same three tests plus the pediatric test run for Dawson correct, Where any substances detected?
Speaker 9: No, they were not.
Speaker 2: And so where in each one of these three separate cases there were okay?
Speaker 5: And Marine Hattnett would be classified.
Speaker 22: As what she's a forensic scientist as well, the step below me of forensic scientists scientists too, okay, and she's is she.
Speaker 5: The one that does testing on objects or items or substances to see if there are particular.
Speaker 3: For example, blood, She does do that.
Speaker 22: She is also trained in documentation of blood stains. So generally that's why we do a lot of our examination through photos. So a forensic friend scientists too could be at the scene, do all of the documentation, make sure the photos are taken, and then those are examined back at the laboratory by a In our case in Massachusetts, it's all supervisors in the crime scene response to NET that do blood stained pattern analysis. We are also all trained in the identification of those biological fluids, doing a screening test as well as a confirmatory test for blood.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be referred to as grumpy, but I'm just going to ask if you can just kind of keep your answers done a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, like maybe a yes and the sentence after that, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: So when you go to a crime scene, you're usually with a team in otherwords, like Martine Hautton might be there right correct, and other state troopers might be there searching the area, right correct.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that you are doing is.
Speaker 5: Relying, if you will, on your associates or other people that are working that particular crime scene to do appropriate and adequate testing of substances.
Speaker 3: Right correct.
Speaker 5: So, for example, and again when you're investigating on a murder case and you're dealing with substances that are deposited.
Speaker 3: For example, in that in the master bid, it's.
Speaker 5: Not appropriate if you will to speculate that something is blood, and that's why it's referred to as.
Speaker 3: A red brown stain.
Speaker 2: Right correct?
Speaker 5: Do we use but your experience is such that you have a wealth of knowledge as to the ability to draw an inference as to what it might be.
Speaker 22: Right, We're not able to look at a red brown stain and call it blood. We call it by adjectives, so it would be deemed as a red brown stain. We have to wait until we do a confirmatory test to say whether we call it human blood or not.
Speaker 5: So when you say a confirmatory test, you're referring to the fact that because screening tests you can do that initially would determine.
Speaker 3: If it's possibly blood, right correct.
Speaker 5: Then it goes to the next phase, which would be a confirmatory test, which Miss Heartnett would do right correct, And then you go to the determination as to whether it's animal or human. It might be a primary blood, but it could be a human blood, and then you determine that it's human blood.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 22: The next step step after Maureene is actual DNA, so it will tell you whether it's human or not human, and who's blood it actually is.
Speaker 5: Okay, So we know that there was a transfer stain from the inside of the house, if you will, onto that ledge on the right hand side of the window, right.
Speaker 10: I believe it was on the left hand side.
Speaker 5: Okay, So as you're looking out the window, it's your understanding that the smudge, if you will.
Speaker 2: That was on that window was on the left hand side, I believe. So. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exhibit one oh six that shows the first floor window right correct, and then further up.
Speaker 2: It shows the second floor right correct.
Speaker 5: So if one was standing on the inside of the master bedroom and leaned on it with blood on their hand or red substance, it would be on the right hand side of that.
Speaker 2: Ledge on the window, right correct.
Speaker 22: The one on the outside was on the right hand side. The one on the inside I believe was on the left hand side.
Speaker 3: Now you know that that was not testing, right.
Speaker 10: I don't know if it was tested.
Speaker 3: You don't know what it is, right.
Speaker 10: I called it a red brown stain.
Speaker 23: But the bottom line is, from your experience looking at that bedroom with all of what you determined in the determined in the investigation to be blood, the inference that you would draw is.
Speaker 3: That that's blood somebody's hand right.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: So it shows in.
Speaker 5: Exhibit one O five the same window with a little hornet ball or that substance that was injected like insulation is what I think you described it, that also has red brown substance on it.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 22: I don't know from that picture. I only looked at the stain that was on the windowsill, right.
Speaker 3: Did you look at them at all? That object?
Speaker 2: Because I did not?
Speaker 13: Just okay, would you agree that underneath that window would be the two equidistance if you will, red brown stains on the shingles, right, correct, And that would be an object or something that has blood or you don't know if it's blooded red brown.
Speaker 3: Steam on hands or something that was a transfer onto that side.
Speaker 2: Of the house, right correct.
Speaker 5: Other areas of the bedroom, for example, console showed you the door coming into the bedroom and there were two brock marks of the red brown stains. You know, those were never even tested. I'm just saying this everdicates it was never tested. Right, But you're assuming failing that that would be blood, right.
Speaker 22: I don't know whether they were tested, but I deemed those that they were blood in my examination, and blood on the.
Speaker 3: Doorknob itself too, So that from the inside.
Speaker 2: Of the going out right the windowsill.
Speaker 10: I don't know of any red brown stains on the doorknob.
Speaker 3: Now the knife photograph of the Knight, and you call that.
Speaker 5: That has that linear stain that you referred to, that you you were able to observe correct, correct, And looking.
Speaker 3: At Exhibit one sixty two, that would show.
Speaker 5: The left side that you were referring to as to the red marks or or the blood if you will, in the window.
Speaker 22: Right, correct, That was the left side interier of the window that I examined to.
Speaker 5: So that would be again drawing an inference, would because somewhat conceivable with a person with blood on their hands leaning on the window with this portion of the hand out.
Speaker 3: He has this portion of the hand on the inside, leaving the transfer.
Speaker 2: Right a hand or some sort of bloody object.
Speaker 5: Yes, and the knife also has the transfer that you can see now is that coagulated.
Speaker 1: Blood you know.
Speaker 2: In which area?
Speaker 5: But with a knife, I mean you see that linear line. It almost looks like the knife was put down with blood on it and then it coagulated or it got sticky, I guess, and then it was moved again.
Speaker 12: Is that you wouldn't call it coagulation.
Speaker 2: So if you're referring to the linear line.
Speaker 22: Okay, bloodstained pattern terminology. But they were on top of the linear line, all right, And you.
Speaker 5: Would agree with me that one of the inferences that would possibly be drawn is that something banged into it or moved.
Speaker 3: It one or the other.
Speaker 22: Yes, correct, to get that original linear line, and then for the knife to be in a different position.
Speaker 3: Now the photograph in Exhibit five.
Speaker 2: Is the mirror correct?
Speaker 3: And then you were referring to.
Speaker 22: The drip marks on the mirror, so I referred to them either as drip stains or spatter stains.
Speaker 13: Because I was not able that would be consistent with some type of a highlight movement, would it not?
Speaker 5: I mean the christ is cutting their throat, for example, and then cast off into the mirror or leaning I guess considered a name.
Speaker 24: So it would be either due to gravity or due to blood in flight, So a force applied sending that blood to land on there, or drip due to gravity.
Speaker 3: And blood in flight.
Speaker 5: The difference would be that it's cast off. If you roll from the knife going in a particular direction towards the.
Speaker 22: Mirror, right, it would be a spatter stain coming off of any sort of blood source, whether it be the tip of a knife, a cut on the hand, something in flight.
Speaker 3: Oh ahead, you think I redirect.
Speaker 25: So you were asked about the documentation and let lit of samples of red bround stains at a scene, and that there is an initial test done at the scene, typically to determine if it might be blood.
Speaker 22: Correct, correct, and that we do a screening test called the castel Meyer test, so it identifies possible blood. It does not identify whether it's human or animal, though, and.
Speaker 25: When that test is positive, but you have a limited sample, you sometimes get the confirmatory step and.
Speaker 1: Send it right to DNA or correct.
Speaker 22: If it's a limited sample, so a smaller stain like something like a spatter stain, we may not do the in between step, which is our confirmatory test, because we don't want to use up any portion that we've collected, so we would go right to DNA for that testing if it's a smaller sample
Speaker 25: And then the DNA testing can tell you if that breadground state is from a human and