Speaker 1: Which Italian island is getting its moment in the sun right now. Hint, it starts with s and has a unique culture that goes back many thousands of years to the Bronze Age. Today, let's take a trip to beautiful Sardinia and explore its coast, countryside, mountains and unique culture.
Speaker 2: Sawatuti and Benvenuti Tuan told Italy the Travel podcast to where you go to the towns and villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Bela, Italia. Each week, your host Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: Bonjo no friends, are you ready for a little island adventure? Sardinia is fast becoming one of Italy's go to destinations for English speaking travelers thanks to its stunning beaches and countryside coastal towns, ancient history, and slower pace of life. Of course, Europeans have been going there for centuries, mainly to the beach resorts. It has to be said but the island has some of the ritziest resorts in Europe. But it's also known for ancient traditions dating back to the Bronze Age, a history dominated by Spanish occupation, and a proud local identity and cultural traditions. This is absolutely fertile ground for us here at Untold Italy, and we recently launched our first small group tour of the island, departing in September twenty twenty seven. On this episode, I'm joined by my friend and local Sardinian Angela Carrias, who helped us design the tour so it includes all those Untold Italy touches, beautiful family run accommodation and the very best local seasonal dishes and wine, and even a visit to a local festival so you truly feel part of Sardinia. As always, you'll find the details on Untold Italy tours dot com and in the episode show notes andiamo, let's go to Sardinia. Then for new to Angela, Welcome to the Untold Italy podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh, you are so welcome. I'm so happy to have you here on the podcast. Angela. After bumping into you a few times in Italy over the last few weeks. That was a lot of fun, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, very much, and we got to.
Speaker 1: Know each other a bit over a few coffees, some snacks and a wander through the Vatican museums. But I was hoping you could introduce yourself to our listeners and tell them where you are from and what you do before we get chatting about beautiful Sardinia.
Speaker 4: I live in Rome, but I actually am from Sardinia. I was born in in Karlia, in the capital of Sardinia, which is in the south, but I grew up in the center of the island in Sardinia, in a very small village called Gillarza, which I always recommend also to visit. I have lived in Sardinia until I was nineteen because nineteen eene years old, I moved to Rome to study in university and I graduated in Rome in journalist and after that I took off and I traveled around the world.
Speaker 3: I traveled around.
Speaker 4: South America, Asia, Europe for about ten years, and then when I moved back to Italy, I settled in Rome and now I live in Rome. I am based in Rome, but I traveled to Sardinia every year. This year, I actually I already booked the tickets because I'm going in June and that's when the high season starts, because it's the Italian summer and that's when the high season starts. And I I'm planning to spend a couple of months in in Sardinia this year, and she lucky. Yeah, I think so, even though the beaches will be like super super crowded, so I think I need to do some different planning.
Speaker 3: I will certainly I will.
Speaker 4: Go to the beach also because it will be very hot, but I will be also some planning because every time I go to Sardinia, even though I am from Sardinia, I like to explore areas I still don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Angela, you are the absolute explorer, having been all around the world, and I mean, if you ever get chances, sit down with Angela and explore. She's got several websites, actually, but she's got one blog. She has been to the far flong places of the earth and it's got many, many titles to tell. So it's a delight to actually have you share all about your home in Sardinia. And I can't wait to hear more about it. But for those of us that, oh no, I obviously know quite a little bit about Sardinia, although I haven't been there, I have to confess, but some people may not know where it is. So can you let everyone know where it is and maybe some geography about Sardinia?
Speaker 3: Okay, Sardinia is an island.
Speaker 4: It's not connected to the mainland Italy by any bridge, so the only way to reach Sardina is by faerry or by plane. It's located off the Rome coast. It's on the western side of Rome and the north of Sicily. It's the second biggest island in Italy, and so you're reached by plane or by fairey and the plane from many European cities and many Italian cities. There are also loc cost airlines landing in Sardina, like European localst airlines like Wheit Air, easy Jet, Ryanair or by faerry. You can reach Sardina by ferry from Rome, Chibitavecia or from other ports like Genoa, Palermo, or also from other European ports like Barcelona Nice I think also Marseille in France.
Speaker 1: Would you recommend going on the ferry or do you think it's better to fly.
Speaker 4: Well, we always go by ferry from Rome because we go by car. We have a small child, a four year old, so we always go by ferry. Before my son, I used to go by plane because by plane from Roam it's a forty five minutes by fairy. If we go from Chivitaveekia to Caliery, it's thirteen hours. In the callier in the south thirteen hours.
Speaker 3: Very Yeah.
Speaker 4: If we go from Chivitaveeka to Albia it's eight hours.
Speaker 3: We usually go.
Speaker 4: Now we go to Portatores, which is also in North Sardinia, and it's eight hours. Also eight nine.
Speaker 1: Hours, so it's a good trip.
Speaker 4: Many people, especially from Europe, they come with the camper van, so they have to go by ferry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think obviously your choices are going to be determined by how much time you have where you want to go and see, because it is, as you mentioned, it's a big island, and I think people maybe think that some of these islands are quite small, maybe like Capri or you know, you know, some of the other Mediterranean islands, but it's actually really big and you need quite a bit of time to explore it.
Speaker 3: Properly right, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: If your only staying like a week, I suggest that you pick an area like, for example, you visit northern Sardinia and you explore and you visit the places in many places to visit in northern Sardinia. If you want to stay like two weeks or a month, then you have more time and then you can travel across the island. Yes, you can visit more places, but in the north and the south east west. Because it's very interesting. I think you should spend some time in where you decide to visit, not like stay there, you go one hour and then you take off. No, take your time to visit the place because it's very interesting. It also depends in not just how long you stay, but for example, you need to concede the flight. Obviously the flight is shorter, but the ferry often it's in the night. You can spend full night. So in the night, what do you do You need to sleep anyway, So just take the ferry, you sleep, you save on the hotel, and then the morning you wake up and you are in Sardinia.
Speaker 1: Well that sounds pretty magical. Yeah, angel you, I would say that you would definitely recommend a slow travel approach, Would I be right.
Speaker 4: To be honest, Yes, In Sardinia, I recommend the slow traveling because this is the best way to actually enjoy the island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what are some of the things that you love about Sardinia? Why should people go?
Speaker 4: Well, if I have to give you some reasons to be the Sardina, and there are many reasons.
Speaker 3: First of all, the landscape. The landscape in Sardina.
Speaker 4: Sardina is famous for its costs, the coastline, obviously, because the beaches in Sardinia are beautiful, But Sardinia has an extremely diverse landscape and we have the mountains, we have, the desert, we have. The beaches are different from each other. If you go to the east coast, it's completely different from the west coast.
Speaker 3: Some enjoy the landscape.
Speaker 4: If you come in the summer, I am sure you are going to go to the coast because it's very hot. But if you come, like let's say, in spring, I completely suggest to visit the inland, for example, the mountains, the small towns. Each town they have a different landscape and they are different, different customs, different traditions. That's also another reason why I suggest visiting Sardinia because of all the traditions each town. It's on language, it's on dialect, it's on traditional costumes, it's on food.
Speaker 3: Food.
Speaker 4: It is another big, huge reason to visit Sardinia. We have different many many, many different types of bread, many different types of pasta. We have obviously different dishes. Where I come from, where I usually go close to my to the beach, I usually go. There is Cabras, a town there. It's very famous for it the seafood. If you want to eat seafood in Sardinia, I totally suggest Cabras because we have the mulet raw. I don't know if you heard. It's called botarga, and it's especially from Cabras. It's it's used in many dishes in Cabras because you can grate it and season the pasta, or you can have like a very fine slices and you can eat it on a brosquetta. Let's say a toasted piece of bread is salty. It's salty. Yeah, it's slightly salty and fat. It's it's nice with some olive oil or some butter for the contrast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very it's very nice.
Speaker 4: Or you go to a ghetto they have lobster. They make lobsters in a very okay. They are influenced by the Catalan culture because alghetto, in a ghetto, they speak Catalan. And also the lobster they make, they make it in a Catalan sort of like cattle influencer reciping.
Speaker 1: So why is influenced by obviously Spanish Catalan traditions. What's the history behind that?
Speaker 3: Because they were Sardina was invaded by everyone from invaded and also.
Speaker 4: We have really we had like old relationships relations with with the Punic, with the Romance, also the Romance Cape Sardinia. In fact, we have Roman baths, Roman also cities, ancient Punic city, Punic and Roman cities. We have like in more south central and south we have Spanish and oragonists from Aragon, which was also Spanish population, which is different from the Catalan because in the north we have Catalan. In the south we have influence from genera like in the food and the culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing, It's like a little melting pot.
Speaker 4: There also Arabs, we had also an Arab Arabs invasion, Arab invasions and for in Caliery. Some some of our words remaind of the Arabic.
Speaker 1: Do Sardinians consider themselves to be Italian? Were they more Sardinian?
Speaker 4: That's a little lot tricky and sensitive, because yes, of course we consider ourselves Italian. But yeah, sometimes when they want to be a little bit like protective of our culture, we say we first we are Sardinians, then we are Italians.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just love that about Italy, so like people forget it's such a young country. It's been shoved together not so long ago, and what is it now, nearly one hundred and fifties almost, I think.
Speaker 4: Yes, eighteen hundred seventy that the fire went wrong or war wrong, became Italian otherwise even before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's amazing, Like I just, you know, we sort of think Italy Italian cuisine, Italian language, but in fact it's really a melting pot of so many different things. And I guess you're seeing that in a really concentrate form in Sardinia, which must make it very exciting to visit, because you wouldn't have the same thing at all from town to town.
Speaker 3: As you were saying, yes, Sardinia, it's the culture.
Speaker 4: It's very rich, like each town is different, but also from like you if you'll see Sardinia and then other parts of Italy.
Speaker 3: It's are very different. Different. Our culture and our language is completely different.
Speaker 4: If I speak Sardinia here in Rome, nobody understands anything.
Speaker 1: Do you sometimes forget oops speaking speaking Sardinia and in Rome, it will be funny. Time for a quick break shorter than your morning espresso. For daily travel tips and behind the scenes content from our tours. Make sure to follow us on Instagram at untold. It'll lead tours.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I some some words, yes, they come out, some words in Sardinia and nobody understands. For example, I don't know. I give just just a word. In Sardinia window we say banana, which is close to Spanish, because in Spanish I think it's a banana banana.
Speaker 3: In Italian it's finestro. It's completely different.
Speaker 4: Ah, So if I say bandana in here in Rome, either they speak Spanish and they understand because they speak Spanish, or otherwise.
Speaker 3: They don't understand it. I'm saying finestro window.
Speaker 1: I was, and I was getting confused with the French just now like.
Speaker 3: French is finalto yes, more similar to Italian.
Speaker 1: It's just great. A love this. And in Australia, we just have one word. It's called window. So Angela, tell me with the beaches. I know Sergini is very very famous for its Are they sandy beaches or are they storny or are there some on either side that are mixed? What's what are the beaches like?
Speaker 4: Well, in Sardinia we have sandy beaches, we have a rocky, very rocky beaches. And then we have also in my area the beaches where I usually go it's Sunday completely Sunday. Other beaches that I have very close they are very sandy, like very very fine sound one. It's some very good for families because the water it's not deep and.
Speaker 3: It's very very fine white sand. It's very beautiful. But then also close to.
Speaker 4: Me we have another beach another like it's a peninsula. It's or the sea's peninsula. A few beaches in there they have quarts, so it's like the sand it's like rice.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's very beautiful. There's also some pink sand beach there too.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the north and one of the La Madelena. There are another archipelago, La Mandellena. They have pink quarts also that quarts and it's pink.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful. If seriously everyone look, go and google that, or you can go to Angela's website. I'm sure there's She's got some beautiful photos of those beaches. But Sardinia in Europe is known for having some of the best beaches in Europe, and for some reason, it has that secret has not yet escaped Europe yet and got to the broader English speaking population. But like they're literally compared to the Maldives or you know, places like that. It's they're really I have not seen them yet, but they are supposed to be that beautiful. Have you seen the beaches in the Maldives? Can you compare?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't.
Speaker 4: I only saw pictures and many also, many people also from Sardina that they have been also to the Caribbean and they compare the for example, Lapeloza in Stintino near Algero, not far from Algero in the north of Sardinia, they compared to the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: I have been to the Caribbean. I've been to Lapelozza and it's really really nice.
Speaker 4: The water you can see from Afar, you can see the water change in chr It's emerald and then blue and then very light blue and then greenish.
Speaker 3: It's very beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds amazing. When we talked about Sicily on this podcast before. It's quite interesting because I identify myself as an island person because I love islands and I come from the biggest one in the world.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, but I do.
Speaker 1: I think. The thing is, I really feel at home close to the sea. So when you're describing that water, I'm thinking, oh, gosh, I really I would love to be close to that water. Are the many villages on the coast where people can stay and enjoy both the village life and the beaches.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are actually like villages on the coast and then smaller villages not too far from the coast. For example, where I stay, it's a very tiny village, very small, and people live there all year, but there are very few families. But in Sardinia you are never more than one hour far from the beach. Wherever you are in the maximum time is one hour you.
Speaker 3: Reach the coast. It's not a huge island.
Speaker 1: But it's you know, it's a decent size that you need to spend some time. So is it like a free beach or is it a lot of Is there a lot of free beaches there or are there a lot of beach clubs and leaders there as well.
Speaker 4: It's a mix, but there are many free beaches. Everywhere I go it's free. For example, there are some beach some beaches that there are close the meaning like there is a limit for the number of people that they can enter each day and you need to book. For example, the one that I mentioned, La Pelosa. Now they started for like it's already it's already been a couple of quite a few years. They start in June, from June to September, when it's the high season. They have a limit in the number. For example, I think it's one five hundred each day, and you book you book online from the day before high season, I suggest a couple of days before, and when you arrive, you show your booking, they have your name, they give you a bracelet, and then you have the whole day or once the number is reached, no you can enter. And other beaches they have like they are priv private clubs for hotels.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean, like quite rightly. Sartinians are very protective of their beaches, and I think it's you know, this is the way now, spontaneity is probably like not if you're traveling in high season, it's very advisable to really search out what you need to know about. You know, if any want to visit certain beaches, you're probably going to need to get a bit organized. Another thing I wanted to let people know is that in Sardinia it's illegal to take the sand from the beaches, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course it's illegal because it's really not sustainable. And the beach is beautiful because of the sun. So I know, the sun is beautiful, but too many tourists and take it away. Every year, they stop many tourists in the airport or in the port because they find them with full full of sund bugs or big bottles full of sund and obviously they take them, they find them, but sometimes if they don't find them, if they don't catch them, then they take away bags full of sun away from Sardinia, and you know, year after year, sometimes their room the beach, and then nobody can enjoy it anymore, not even tourists.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, we just all need to be a little bit more mindful of things like that. I mean, there's a lot more people traveling these days, and obviously these people aren't going on Ryan Air because there's no way you'd have the luggage allowance to take a big bag of sand on Ryan Air but it's too heavy. But yeah, everyone needs to just think about what they're doing and tread a little lightly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a nature In the end, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Like to me it's Sardinia is a little bit more natural than some of the other beachy places. Initially, am I right?
Speaker 3: Or you can say wild?
Speaker 4: While yes, true, Sardinia is much much wilder if you see it also from the airplane when you're when you're landing, you see completely different landscapes from Sardinia. Sardinia and Sicily they are completely different. Sicily is much more well looked after, for example, like the agriculture and everything.
Speaker 3: Sardinia is wild. You see more green, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Many agriaturismas on the island.
Speaker 3: They are.
Speaker 4: Starting look already, it started like it's been already a couple of years.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there are many. Unfortunately, I think they should work a.
Speaker 4: Little bit better on the marketing because sometimes even I end up in some agree tourisma that I didn't know just because I.
Speaker 3: Saw very close tourism.
Speaker 4: I saw I see like some signs pointing, and then we decide, okay, let's go there, but not because I had heard before. But sometimes they're very nice. For example, once we went to Touraga, which is an archaeological site, and we have many uragu in Sardinia, and we visited one, and then we have we ended.
Speaker 3: Up in close to Bonorva.
Speaker 4: We ended up in a small agree toisma which was actually very nice, but we it was no advertised and so we we just happened by chance. Otherwise, there is one I know there is one I have a visited, but I know it's very famous. One close to do Galli. Dor Galli is in the Dastra area, close to I don't know if you heard the Sugarpu Goropu canyon.
Speaker 3: We have a cane and close to dorgal gos Or.
Speaker 4: It's very nice and there is a very beautiful agriturisma there too.
Speaker 1: I just see it sounds like the type of place that would really an agriturismo would be the perfect place to stay, you know. I mean, I guess there's b and bs and hotels, but for me, when the scenery is a little bit wild and rustic. I think, you know, I think I'd like to stay in an agriturismo And for those of you who haven't listened to Agriturismo episode, that is a farm s day where they offer like accommodation and meals and things like that, and you can really get to know the countryside and the people a little bit better when you stay in a place like that. Now, Angela, you mentioned archaeological sites, and there's something really incredible about Sardinia that you won't find on the mainland, isn't there that's historic and very very ancient.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have a long history.
Speaker 4: But while in Sicily, for example, you can go for medieval history and this type of more modern history, Sardina it's solid archaeology, very ancient relics and sites to visit, the Nuragi. And then there is also the it's called the ossiery culture, which is even before the Nuragai era. And then we have the Punic. For example, you have Noura, which is an ancient city a Crossocalieri. Then we have Taros, which is also an ancient Punic city, and the west coast. Then we have Roman baths, and then we have this nuragi, which are Bronze age towers. Now in many you see only the tower, but in many other areas you see the whole village.
Speaker 3: Has been very long excavations they.
Speaker 4: Manage to to find all these villages and you can visit.
Speaker 3: There are many in Barumini sou Nuraji. There are also.
Speaker 4: Close in the in central central Sardinia. It's also very interesting to visit because you can visit both the tower and the village.
Speaker 3: Then there are also always local guides.
Speaker 4: Usually when you buy the ticket, there is also included a local guide like the stuff of the place in every language. They have in English and Spanish and French, obviously in Italian, and they explained the whole village connected to the territory. Because even if they are urgi, all over Sardinia they found I think, like some ten thousand, even if they are similar, they are in different areas, so they all have a different type of purpose function and why they were there, why they built them there, why they build them in the coast, there are some that they were fine also in the coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. Some of the oldest inhabited places in Europe right, so people have been living in these spots for thousands and thousands of years, and.
Speaker 3: I visited a museum in Cabras.
Speaker 4: Because we have also like apart from the nuragi, are the very extremely interesting archeological sites. They are the it's called in Italian, it's called tomba de gigante, which means the giants toms. It's not because they were giants, they were necropolis. They are like graveyards. Then we have the Domus Dayanas.
Speaker 3: It's collin Sardina, which.
Speaker 4: Is the fairies houses like the houses of the fairies. And also those they are tombs and they are more they're older than the Nuragi.
Speaker 3: They belonged to.
Speaker 4: This culture of Osier culture, which is older than the Murgi era. Then we have sacred wells, for example, in across where I live, it's the very famous one. It's called the Santa Christina Saint Christine Sacred well. Dar one is from the Nuragic period. It's like it's a it's a well like in the bottom you can see there is still water.
Speaker 3: But it was not for the water. It's like a temple. It was for.
Speaker 4: Religious purpose and it would been like thousands and thousands of years ago and there every eighteen years, the moon goes like straight to the bottom.
Speaker 3: It's like perfectly calculated.
Speaker 1: Every eighteen years.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's not only now we can't reproduce something like this.
Speaker 3: We are still trying to understand how they made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you seen it when it goes exactly in No?
Speaker 4: No, And I think the sun there is calculation also of the sun.
Speaker 3: And they're well, it's very fascinating, amazing.
Speaker 1: We think we're so clever. We're not that clever. These people have been doing the same things for thousands of years. Maybe we have electricity now, I mean, who knows what they had. We don't know.
Speaker 4: Do we also the reality for example, they are thousands of years old.
Speaker 3: But if you see they were not built like the stones. They're huge stones. They were put on top of each other, they were not glued and they are still stunding.
Speaker 1: Amazing, So you've got I mean, this is an amazing island with thousands of years of history, beautiful beaches and also beautiful mountains too, right and hills.
Speaker 3: Yes you have. The mountains are in the Numara province, well, not Ja.
Speaker 4: There is also Monte Archie, which is an actual Aristano and probably they.
Speaker 3: Are the tallest mountains. But Yastra, let's.
Speaker 1: Take a quick moment. We'll be right back planning your own easily trip, but feeling overwhelmed. Our consulting services give you personalized guidance based on years of insider knowledge and local relationships. Learn more in the show notes.
Speaker 4: And you can visit. You can go hiking. And in Adastra there is the Sugar it's called it's very famous. It's a canyon. It's like Kenya. You can go down the Kenyon.
Speaker 3: They do tours. Because I wouldn't go by myself. I went.
Speaker 4: I visited once, but I went with a tour because I think I would get lost. Maybe some people with that they are more confident hiking, they can go. Also, there are like there are actually roots and paths that you can follow. I don't have any orientation sensors, so I would I would get lost, So I go with someone. But if someone is confident they can they can go for themselves. There are the roots that they can follow.
Speaker 1: I mean some of these experiences you just if you're king to hiking or in any type of nature, it sounds like it's a great place to visit. I think just the contrast of all these different landscapes. The picture you're painting angelarious that there's just so many different things to do, and it's the culture on the mountain very different to the culture on the plains and by the water.
Speaker 3: Yes, very different.
Speaker 4: They are more you know, I think in Barbaja or yeah, those areas they are more authentic Sardinians Ah, because they were not invaded as much as we were in the coasts.
Speaker 1: People ran to the mountains to protect themselves and their culture exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. Yes, they have in they are famed.
Speaker 4: For example Mamo YadA, which is in Barbadia also neural province very close is the capital of the province.
Speaker 3: They have a very ancient festival.
Speaker 4: It's called the Mammotonas they wear wooden masks very ugly, the uglier the better, and the dance around the fire in for centenary in January. They start they were sheep skin and then thirty kilos of bells, you know, the bells of the sheep. They wear them so and the end the mask their wooden mask. Then now when they they wear them and they dance around the fire. They have a specific dance, the rhythmical dance.
Speaker 3: And you hear.
Speaker 4: Obviously they make the noise with the bells for Cententially they do it around the fire because in centenary in some villages they lit up the bonfires in every square of the village.
Speaker 3: So they go and they dance around the fire.
Speaker 4: They come out also for carnival, but they don't do the fire for carnival. They just parade along the streets with the other mask more modern masks.
Speaker 1: I love that type of stuff. I just think it's so interesting.
Speaker 4: But that's yes, this is in winter also because okay, the Mamotona's actually they come out also once in summer, but they suffer a lot because of what they wear. It's very warm, they sweat and summer it's too hot. Even if they are in the mountain, it's less hot than were ice stay, it's still very hot.
Speaker 3: Refer coming out in the winter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 4: It's obviously this is a pagan ritual. Yeah, from pagan times before Christianity. Because also when they come, it's like to welcome the new the new harvest.
Speaker 1: So interesting. But then Christianity to borrow a lot from many things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Christianity, let's say nowday, when Christianity arrived, they let them continue this ritual, but they say, you know, you keep it for Carnival and then after that there is like ash Wednesday and then Lent.
Speaker 3: And that's it. Yep, stop now exactly you have fun, that's it.
Speaker 1: Stop now. There is one thing I do know everywhere in Italy is when you do have celebrations, there is always food. So we talked about the lobster, which I'm all about the lobster. We talked about the potaga and the bread. Is there any other amazing special dishes everyone should try when they go to Sardinia?
Speaker 4: Okay, Sardinia is famous for the pit roasted piglet the cycling pig, and that's it everywhere. But then every place has its own dishes and also yes, depending on the season.
Speaker 3: For example, if you come for beginner of November.
Speaker 4: We have we celebrate the day of the Dead. There is a particular cake Pavaccini, which is famous. You can find it throughout the year, but it's traditional for that period. If you come for Easter, you have a specific, very particular bread.
Speaker 3: In some places they do it with an egg, the whole egg, not the.
Speaker 4: Egg in the recipe. The egg and then the bread all around. We have a specific cake for Easter, Pardulas, which is made with the ricotta.
Speaker 3: It's delicious, very nice. For Carnival.
Speaker 4: We have other cakes, different areas, different dishes. For example, some particular dish in the Panada Panada is you can find it very nice in the north, Santa Terreza, which is it's like a stew.
Speaker 3: In the bread.
Speaker 4: Like let's say, the dish is the bread like the actual plate. The plate is made of bread and inside it's a stew. And you can find also meat based or fish based. And you can find it in the north and also in a small village in Cooliery, which is a small village in the central western Sardinia.
Speaker 3: That's very nice. Panada, it's very nice. It's more a.
Speaker 4: Winter dish because it takes time to make. Can find it also in summer. I'm sure if they ask some restaurants or if they look, they can find them.
Speaker 1: I mean, Sardinian food is very well known throughout the world for being very very very healthy, right, and a lot of people are studying this cuisine because there are a lot of people over one hundred in Sardinia.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's in Barbadja, it's in the blue zone, oh yah yah Barbajia, even though that's the official blue zone in Sardinia. But also close to where we live, there are many one hundred year old people. Also my village now now that I think of there is a a gentleman there is one hundred, either getting close or he's already turned one hundred. And then my dad's village there was up a point where they were like a five more older.
Speaker 3: Than one hundred.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing, and they're healthy. I mean they're still getting around now, they can walking and yeah, you know, having good conversations. These are very active such Geneerian. So one hundred year olds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apart from conversations. Here there was.
Speaker 4: A man he died the last year he was one hundred, but when he was ninety years old, he was still climbing the tree, not just having conversation, he was actually climbing the trees. But because Sardinia, I think, well, I live in Rome, but when I go to Sardinia, I find the difference in the actual ingredients and not just the dishes. The ingredients you can find still more genuine, I think, genuine ingredients.
Speaker 1: Do you think they import much from the mainland or do you think a lot of it is grown in Sardinia?
Speaker 4: A lot has grown Like in Sardinia, it's more common than when I live in Rome to find for example, if you find a veggie shop in Sardinia, very often it's like the cellar is actually the farmer amazing.
Speaker 3: It's more common to find than in Rome.
Speaker 1: So on the average average street you're probably not going to find too many bananas. I'm suggesting.
Speaker 4: No, if you see banana, obviously you know it comes it's not from Sardinia.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just an interesting thing though, because you know, in this Anglo Saxon culture we have, we're kind of expecting everything to be there. You know, I'll kind of get a little bit upset if my avocados aren't around. But there's really in certain times a year there are no avocados in Melbourne being grown. And so it's a different way of life and I think it's slower and more considered, and that's why they probably live to be a hundred because they're just eating good food, walking a lot, and probably not thinking too hard about world events.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are very relaxed.
Speaker 4: In fact, those that they actually live on on they are usually the farmers. Yeah, maybe because they live in a more relaxed and cleaner lifestyle.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but usually they are farmers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting because those people also work really, really hard. You know, I think farming is not an easy job choice.
Speaker 3: No, but they say in nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something to be said for that, right is being connected to the nature and just soaking up the sun and the fresh air. Oh, it makes me want to go for a walkout. Oh, Angela, it's been fantastic. Before we wrap this up, I really love you to tell me. What if there's one place you wish people could see in Sardinia that will make them fall in love with your special island. What would that be.
Speaker 4: That's a very hard question because because of the variety. But one of my very favorite places is really this Barbagian or yah where I told you there is the authentic Sardine, more authentic Sardinia, Sardinian spirits, Sardinian style. The people of Sardinia, they are very friendly and warm all over the island everywhere you go, but in this Barbadja o Yasra they are warm, hospitable, still the old style, like they actually open the door.
Speaker 3: They even if they don't know you.
Speaker 4: They actually opened the door of their home and tell you to enter, please come in. When there is no like let's say, for a festival, there is no there is no bn B, there is no more space in hotels and stuff private locals, they actually say, okay, come come stay in my house.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: In Sardinia you can steal experience wilderness.
Speaker 4: Real wilderness, real warm real hospitality.
Speaker 3: It's a little continent on its own.
Speaker 1: And it's your home. Yes, so amazing. It's been so lovely hearing all about your beautiful home and it's just a place that's a little bit off the radar for most of us who don't live in Europe. And I just loved hearing about all the contrasts and the interesting things you can do there, the festivals and the food and all the archaeological sites. Angeline found listeners would like to know more about Sardinia and stay in touch with you. How can they do that.
Speaker 4: I have a website Sardinia Revealed dot com. There are update and I give plenty of.
Speaker 3: Tips on how to visit.
Speaker 4: And then I also have a Facebook group for this, Sardina Reveal. It's a public group, so anyone can join, they can ask any questions they need to know, and we are there to answer and to hunt travelers traveling to Sardinia. It's still requires planning because sometimes the rules are not marked properly.
Speaker 1: Google Maps may not work people, so.
Speaker 3: Not everywhere.
Speaker 1: You need to be friendly to get some help. Oh goodness, oh listeners, I really love Angela's thorough and detailed content. She's a really great writer and she's got a lot of experience over many websites, and so definitely seek her websites out when you're planning your trip to Sardinia and Italy, and we'll put all of those details into our podcast show notes. Gradsia, Angela, thank you for joining us on jo Joo. I have to admit that Pink Beach is so so tempting, and not to mention the ancient civilizations and the pagan festival, which kind of reminds me a little of the Crampus celebrations in the Dolomites. Sardinia seems like one of those places that is just begging to be ex and it is definitely one for those of you who have an adventurous spirit and love to be spontaneous as the wilds of this island outside of the main resort area known as the Emerald Coast near Oldvia, are largely untouched. Do note that you will need a car to get around, and not to expect smooth and well maintained highways. There's not a lot of tourist infrastructure in Sardinia except at the resorts, but I know that will be a big attraction for many of you. If you'd like to learn more about Sardinia, head on over to our website show Notes, where we've put links to Angela's site Sardinia Revealed. The link to our website show Notes is Untold Italy dot com. Forward slash two one nine for episode two hundred and nineteen, and as always, there's a lot of detailed information about the places visited and mentioned on the show, so if you were struggling to write those down and sort of catch up with the Italian accent, then that's all there for you. Groud Semile. Thank you to all our wonderful listeners for your support of Untold Italy. I really hope you enjoyed today's show, and if you did, then it would be incredible if you gave us a rating or review in your favorite podcast app, and that way we can reach more spontaneous, adventurous Italy travel lovers just like you. Next week on Untold Italy, we're going to have a little discussion about what exactly is Italian hospitality, and I think it's a really important one to have because I think that's a big reason why a lot of people want to visit Italy. So I've got a really good expert coming along to tell you all about what it means to experience Italian hospitality. But until then, it's chow for now. The Untold Italy podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content writing by the are they KG Clark, Yes, there are two of us. For more information that Untold Italy, please visit Untold Italy dot com.