Speaker 1: Well whiskey, come and take my pain.
Speaker 2: The moneys all ring Oh don't why think alone when you can drink it all In with Ricochet's three Whiskey Happy Hour, join your bartenders Steve Hayward, John U and the International Woman of Mystery, Lucretia.
Speaker 1: Where this laps it up and live it?
Speaker 2: Ain't you easy on the should tap guy to give me?
Speaker 1: And left that whiskey clone.
Speaker 2: Well the paraphrase Monty Python And now for something completely different on the three Whiskey Happy Hour. This week, John U is not available to join us, so we have a ringer. We have a special guest, and not just a special guest, but the proprietor of a rival podcast. It's Alex Priu of the New Thinkery. Welcome Alex, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, It's great to be here. This is a drinking show. But you're not drinking.
Speaker 2: Steve Hi, you know I'm on the road. I forgot my flask.
Speaker 1: She drink he put some hair on your head.
Speaker 2: Well at this hotel, this resort hotel I'm staying at. It's very fancy and I'm just off the pool where there is a bar. So when we're done, I walk straight out the door. And then thirty seconds, I'll have my Martine Lucretia. How are you if you got a drink? Or you do?
Speaker 3: I do? I have? I have scotch now that now that I can afford it again, Well, that's good podcast.
Speaker 2: Well you know we uh, Lucretia was a pretty stout defender of Trump's tariffs. I'm more equivocal about that, and Trump removed tariffs on scotch whiskey last.
Speaker 3: Week, so that right, Just just to be nice to King Charles.
Speaker 2: We might talk about Trump's speech. I just wrote an article about it for our friends with the American Mind, because I thought Trump's speech was really quite a mischievous and ironic and on borderline esoteric message. But we'll leave that for now. Ah So, first of all, Alex, I think we want to have you introduce yourself a little bit to our listeners. A few obviously like Jack you Pray, are familiar with you, but you're well, let's do it this way. Let's do personal stuff first, and then I'll ask about the new thinkering. And my first question for you is how many packs a day do you smoke? To keep your heavy smoking deep voice?
Speaker 1: You know, I I you know, puberty hit me like a ton of bricks when I was young. I started shaving in sixth grade. And then when I was in high school, I was able to call myself out of class and say, ah, yes, this is mister Preu. My son has a doctor. So I actually actually quit smoking because it made it worse. Oh maybe borderline on intelligible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how long ago?
Speaker 1: Well, I should say quit a while ago. I wasn't smoking cigarettes. I was smoking cigars, and I actually just started again. So but but no, I mean, it's it's just I've been blessed with a voice and a face for radio, and so I'm sort of disappointed we're on video today.
Speaker 2: Right now, give us a little brief, you know, origin story of yourself, because I don't actually I haven't paid attention to where you went to graduate school or where you went to college, what you studied, how you became Alex Preu.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I mean I'll skip the meeting and copulation of my parents in jump education, which is I.
Speaker 2: Studied the show.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you know, origins are hard. Do I go back to the beginning of all things, you know versus welter and waste and then anyways, No, I mean I got into political philosophy, and undergrad I went to graduate school at Tulane University a brief stand at Saint John's University of Connecticut. Undergrad, I wanted to be a doctor. They were attached to a good medical program, and then I quickly realized it wasn't for me. I was reading a lot of dosto Yevsky and Nietzsche in my free time, which gives you an act events of my mental state, which was not hot I We'll put it like that. But I gradually got into Plato and very interested in what seemed to me just a brilliant understanding of the human being in human psychology, a political, social, and individual level. I got into the works of Leo Strauss and also of his great student Seth Bennardetti, who was unfortunately dead by that time, and so I went to study with one of his students, Roni Berger, at Rann University, also Richard Welkley, who had came in the same year. So from Richard I was able to learn a lot about Strauss and Heidiger, which I've actually been using lately because I'm working on something on Strauss and Heidiger right now, and from I learned a ton on Plato. It was my dissertation. Dissertation became my first book, and I wrote two more books on Plato, number of articles, et cetera on early Greek philosophy. At the same time as I went onto the job market. And this is maybe something we'll get into, which is, oh, the academy, which is one of my favorite things to gripe about, both in print and on Twitter. But hit with the job market, realizing how the political landscape had really changed things. It took me five years to land a good job. I ended up at CU Boulder. I was associated a bit with the Benson Center, which you were a crucial encoundering and for which founding I'm very grateful. And then I made my way in and currently am a professor of political philosophy at the University of Austin, not being confused with the University of Texas at Austin our pale imitator, but the University of University. But I'm currently on eighteen months of research leave, where I'm back at the Benson Center at CU Boulder as a sabbatical scholar and visiting researcher, writing on very right topics.
Speaker 2: Do let me have you back up a bit about two Lane. I'm a huge ron A Burger fan, and I enjoyed the podcast you did, right, I mean, and I've met her several times. It turns out she she's a fan of my weekend pictures on power Line. Okay, that may be my highest and best use for a lot of people, but okay, I'll take it. And she says that she and her husband that's the first thing they do Saturday mornings. Okay, good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But Toulane has always been this I don't want to say outlier, but you know, when you think about the world of political philosophy, you think about Chicago, Harvard with Harvey, Boston College, Clairemont until they killed the program, if you have Dallas right, Hillsdale, I guess in a certain way, and people don't normally think of Tulane. And that's because it's a philosophy Is it just because it's a philosophy department and not part of a politics department or is there something else there? And why did you pick Tulane, by the way, and not.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the interest was primarily in Bennadette's works and and RNA's sort of masterful treatment of him. She had written a few pieces that really just so helpful. Yeah, there's East coast trausings, there's West coast trausings, and now there's a burgeoning Gulf coast drowsing. And well, you know, for a long time, Rona got there in the early eighties, and then Richard got there in two thousand and seven. I think, so for a long time it was just Rana there and it was kind of hard to compete. I think since then it's become a real home, and she has a number of graduate students, and the students do really well. I tend to think for all the programs out there, it's about the best to engage in close reading. I mean, Rana sits there and she reads one Patonic dialogue of say, fifty sixty pages over fifteen weeks, and she really takes you through the ringer, shows you how to notice all the odd details. Doesn't always tell you what to do with them, which is good, but she trains your eyes, and when you do something wrong with it, she tells you why you're wrong, but she pushes you off the wrong track. You have to make your own way, and so if you really take that sort of education seriously, you're going to get a lot out of it. At the same time, you know, studying with Richard, what always struck me as his amazing talent was his ability to enter any of the systems of these modern thinkers, whether it's Rousseau or Kant, or Hegel or Heideger or a Nietzsche or Strauss himself, just to masterfully switch from one to the other. And so you really learned what it's like to occupy and think through a systematic philosophy, but with an eye to a philosopher's irony, which he often finds in these these thinkers. And so you really do get two different approaches within the tradition. But it is a philosophy program, which is meant it's been harder to find jobs traditionally, but with the New Civic Center, there's not a lot of philosophy programs that want Straussians that very allergic to.
Speaker 2: Them, even someone from Tulane. We're not part of the club. You're not part of the Southeastern Conference of Straussian programs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, so, you but you do now, I see, I was just there and I was very heartened to see a lot of the grad students finish up their PhDs already have tenure track jobs or good post docs at Princeton and other places that show that there's a real desire. And these civic institutes have a lot of political science PhDs, economists, et cetera, but not a lot of philosophers well versed in the traditions and with that philosophic training. And so I think it's actually having a good sort of run on these these new programs right now.
Speaker 2: Lucretia Alex was asking me before we got on the air, how you picked your non diplume, and I thought, I'm going to let her tell you that story.
Speaker 3: Well, when when Steve first asked me to come on the podcast with him, it was not the three whiskey Happy Hour, it was just the what did you call power line?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And I was a dean at the time at the University of Arizona, and we thought a that it was probably not a good idea for me to be the outspoken person that I usually am about my political views and as the dean, so we decided it'd be fun to have a pseudonym, and he wanted to call me Professor X and I absolutely despise anything that hints of a Marvel movie. Yeah, and so I said, I don't want to be Professor X, and off the top of my head I had to come.
Speaker 1: Up with something else.
Speaker 3: And I had just been talking with my old mentor about some things with some parallels between the rape of Lucretia and some biblical things and whatnot. And I decided, since Lucretia was the founder of the technically the led at least to the founding of the Roman Republic, that that would be an appropriate name.
Speaker 1: There we go. Yeah, it's not. I thought it was a reference to Lucretius and you are ad and and and Steve is void or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's it's that simple.
Speaker 2: So so one more a little bit of history with you, Alex is uh your your podcast, which I guess it's sort of dormant at the moment because it's just like us, it's difficult to get your other two papers together. But first of all, the new thinkery, and yet it's almost entirely about old books, So that seems a little discordant. What's new about the new thinkery?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess there's electricity, there's technology, there's the internet, that's the new part. But uh, yeah, it was. We were trying to think of something that would uh suggest the kind of levity but also the tradition better and we thought, well better than the thinkery. Uh, but we were not the original thinker, So we have to go with the new the new think from Aristot.
Speaker 3: What would argue or could easily argue that anybody talking about philosophic topics and hearkening back to real classical interpretations of real classical books actually is very very new and novel right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, yes, I mean this is Isn't this often the case with conservatives that you're you seem to be part of the old guard, but you're actually very much like what could be more cutting edge than then, I don't know, not not transing yourself or something like that. Right, Like it's everywhere believing in natural law, I know, I mean believing in anything before like twenty fifteen or twenty nineteen. I guess was, yeah, right, that's that's completely off your rockers these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then how did you so? Your Your two co hosts were Greg mcbraer, who's now the provost at astron University, The poor Man, but he's going. He's going.
Speaker 1: He's going to be a assistant or associate director at the new Civic Center at Miami under Flag Taylor. So he's moving on in Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yes, the univer of Miami of Ohio. Oh yeah, okay, I didn't know that. And then David Barr was the third one who I don't know. I know David a little and he was at the Claremont Institute for a while. And how did you get to know those two guys and start us up.
Speaker 1: In the first place. So when I was at Saint John's, David popped into my class. He was just said it was a fellow student. And immediately after the after seminary gatherings, we'd be having you know, beers and eating food, and we both caught each other, as you know, poor students, smuggling beers and our jacket said, I think I liked the cut of this guy's jip. And so we got we got to know each other. Now he was a student at the University of Maryland of Charles Butterworth. Oh, great translator, interpreter of medieval thought also but I'm known very much for his translations of Frabbi of airways et cetera. And so I went to sit in on a class and Greg was a graduate student at the University of Maryland under Butterworth, and so I got to meet him a little bit there. But then over the years, you know, I think we were all together at a bachelor party or two, and and then you know, we had a text threat. And you know, I had thought about starting a podcast or some kind of online magazine, kind of journal that's kind of centered on philosophy, but a little more loose without all the academic structures. And when COVID hit, we decided, let's just record conversations and it became weekly and uh uh it did well for a niche, and we just kind of brought our banter from text messages, took out all the stuff that we get you immediately canceled and and uh, you know, turned it into a podcast and and it worked well because there was a genuine friendship right now, the genuine friendship was eroded by the routineness of it. And now we all bid each other and each other behind wells, which if you keep if you keep having me on, that'll happen here too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we probably, I mean, you know, we we we abused John you ritually, which I think is why he is suddenly he's not available. He's getting tired of his being pummeled every week.
Speaker 3: Oh don't, don't even accuse John of that.
Speaker 2: Well doesn't. I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: What John doesn't want is a professional podcast. He likes the free willing part of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, quick question and we'll go to break alex So Saint John's Napolis. It sounds like that's right, right, I say that one of the top five breakfast spots in the country, if not the world. There was Ruth and Ned's Deli. What's it? The Deli, the Nellie's Deli. What's the place down there?
Speaker 1: I mean I never really went there.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, so what I did? What I did? I would wake up, you know, at the at the early hour of eleven a m. And I would go to I would go to the coffee shop and I get myself a big coffee and go across the street to the smoke shop where there was an ornery frenchman ran and I would smoke a cigar, do a little reading, have my coffee, and then go off to class. And so I often skipped breakfast for caffeine and nicotine only right and proper.
Speaker 3: All right, you're life that wait before you go on, Alex, I haven't told this one in a while, but I did quit smoking. Gosh, probably forty years ago now, but I started smoking at a very young age. And some of my fondest memories the house I grew up in, at least my teenage years I spent, had this lovely huge picture window overlooking this beautiful valley, and my dad and I when I was in college, I would work at his glass company, and so we would get up very early, you know, to be to work by six in the morning, and we'd sit and watch the sun come up over the valley in this picture window, and we would have what my dad would call a horse breakfast, which was two cups of coffee and three cigarettes. Some of my fondest memories.
Speaker 1: Ever other day, you know, one of my fondest memories from when he was when I was a kid, was when he would get frustrated with my mother. He would go to the kitchen with a cigarette, turn on the stove and light the cigarette from the stove. Oh God, that was the coolest thing he ever did.
Speaker 3: So because I know Steve was going to go there at some point. What did you think about all of those incredibly gorgeous Persian women lighting their cigarettes on the burning picture of Komani? That was just like, that was my feminist moment. I've never been a feminist my whole life, but I was cheering those women on. That was the coolest thing I think I ever saw.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do that. I got to go look at you didn't see that?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. You know he's busy translating. So what listeners should know? I think? You know this Lucretia is alex Is. Are you half Iranian?
Speaker 1: I think by Hakarani? Yeah, my mother's from Iran.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, he may come back to all that after we take a quick ad break. Care the three whiskey happy Era will be right back. All right, Let's turn to the subject that's on all of our minds. But you've done more work on it, I think than we have, Alex And that's the state of the humanities and higher education, among other things. Quick story for you. It came back to me as I was reading that Compact magazine piece about if you want to study the humanities or read English literature, don't go to graduate school. Good advice. I think. I remember back in the seventies when I was in college and a friend of mine, who I think was going to USC, back when it was purely a party school, told me the story of a class one day when in the seventies.
Speaker 3: What okay, sorry, go ahead. Wells like it's become a beacon of intellectual activity or something in recent years.
Speaker 2: Look, I agree with you. Have you seen what the admission radio is now at USC and what its rankings are? It's preposterous, but that may be part of the subject too. Anyway, friend of mine plosophy class said the professor was talking about Aristotle, and some blonde girl in the back says, wasn't he into shipping? And Professor's thinking, you know the punchline, don't you. The professor's thinking that I missed something. Was there a treatise? Was there somewhere in one of his books where he wrote about voter sailing? And turned out it turned out no, you know married you know Jackie Kennedy, And he realized the lady thought Aristotle was Aristotle Onathis. That's the sort of ignorance we had, And now it's probably even worse. So let's see, let's try this. I think you have got a book almost done or close to being published or something on this.
Speaker 1: I've got a book. It's in manuscript Forum. It's with a publisher being reviewed on sort of the state of the Academy, how to fix it. But it's actually pretty broad. It starts with a sense of crisis, but it goes through the ideological battles of the last century or so really sort of you know, American and French revolutions, but then you get the Industrial Revolution. You get suddenly the three major ideologies have the equipment necessary to propagate themselves and also to institute their schemes, and it sort of lays those out from the standpoint of political psychology, arguing broadly for a kind of platonic perspective, but in not being so direct in that way. The second chapter then goes back. It goes from political history to something like philosophic history, to the modern revolution what I call the modern conspiracy, starting from Machiavelli, and tries to lay out how we got this place. And it's basically a kind of sweeping history of modernity, but the main thrust of it, and we could get into this a little bit if you want to, but the main thrust of it is how we got to have these kind of chaotic education institutions we have, which are a weird mixture of medieval kind of study, really small, right, but it's still there in little vestigial forms, at least in the mottos on the buildings that nobody knows how to translate anymore. Right. And then you know there's a business interest, technological interests from early modernity. There's an ideological pressure from the left that's very well sort of cataloged. And then there's also just the kind of its market pressures, right, dumbing everything down so they can get the students. And what happens when you have a the peak of education, or what ought to be the peak of education, is so chaotic and contradictory, is that everything that's downstream from that, which is the regime, becomes chaotic and contradictory. You get the regime you earn by the citizens or subjects I would argue that you make. So the third chapter goes into the chaos of the education institutions, students, faculty, administrators, and the fourth chapter so that's more like social criticism and the fourth chapter is kind of like bird's eye view public policy, not really concerned with the nuts and bolts of it, but in broad sweeps, how do you start thinking about universities differently so that you can fix them? So this has been something I've been meditating about a while, drawing a lot from my experience being disgruntled within the academy, but seeing on the ground what's happening with civic institutes, what's happening at UATX, the things I think we're doing that are genuinely innovative and should be a model for other institutions.
Speaker 2: Right wow, Okay, Well there's a lot there that sounds very original to me. First of all, you know, most of the books these days, even the best ones, I think, but they tend to start in the sixties when things really do go bad. It sounds like you have a much longer range view of this, I think.
Speaker 1: I say, the really fifteen sixties is the latest I'd go for whateverything was.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I think that's the better because well, the next point to make. As Lucretian, I think that a large part of the problem is simply the triumph of historicism that has overtaken all the disciplines in humanities, where and everything is the problem of the present horizon, right, the fact that people don't take well, what was it, you know, Jaffa, not just Jaffa, but others said, you know, the study of political philosophy in the forties or thirties, forties, fifties was like a survey of a waxworks museum. You know, maybe interesting, but not really relevant because it's not from our time. And I just think that makes students think the material is not important, therefore not serious. So you know, that compact article said don't go to graduate school if you want to read English literature. Lucretia for years has been saying, if you want to understand the Constitution, for God's sake, don't go to law school. Right, isn't that still your view of Lucretia, I think most.
Speaker 3: Of them, yes, well, absolutely most of them. But actually, whatever you do, don't if you want to study literature any kind, don't ever enroll in an English department, English major in English graduate school. I just I think I mentioned once that I was looking for outside reviewers for an English professor we had who was going up for tenure, and I started and she had this Sorry it was stupid, this stupid focus on technology in Shakespeare whatever. I didn't and it made no sense to me. But so I was, you know, the good dean that I was. I was trying to find reviewers who would be you know, sympathetic, but at the same time had good reputations. And god, when I started looking into what populated English departments, I just, I mean I almost became physically ill. And never mind what they did to Shakespeare and critical race theory and LGBTQ queer plus US and you know, it's just there was no English anywhere. There was no there was nothing I mean anyway. So, and that was ten years ago, almost now, probably five ten years I once saw, I once read an article on that argued that Caliban.
Speaker 1: Was falsely used.
Speaker 2: I'm not here right like like a like a.
Speaker 1: You know, a Victorian George Floyd or something like that. It was absolutely bonkers. It was the worst argue. Yeah, and it was obviously fitting a narrative, that's what you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've read if you're lucky, Yeah, for my sins, I've read a couple of feminist takes on Shakespeare that are well, they're written in the usual jargon of you know, critical theory, and so they're almost unreadable and so unremittingly stupid, as someone here might say, uh, you know Gary. So I don't know if you're familiar with Gary Saul Morrison, who teaches Russian literature Northwestern. So two interesting things. One is, his classes are hugely popular. I think maybe he's the preeminent American specialist in Russian literature. And second, he was telling me, so, you know, he gets classes with free, you.
Speaker 3: Real Russian literature like Dostoevsky and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, okay, yeah, all those right, Tolstoy, the the you know, the classics, right, he was telling me. I had dinner with him once ten years ago, and Dan Lowenstein at UCLA put us together for dinner. Lucretian knows Dan a little bit, and he was telling us that the political no, the English department, he's part of the you know, the languages department, they won't give him any graduate students as teaching assistants because they don't like his politics and they don't like his popularity, I think, even more than his politics, which aren't that overt really. He writes for commentary now and then, but U and so he has to get teaching assistance from the political science department for a course on Russian literature, which I mean, you and I could squeeze that in easily enough, but it's still an interesting thing.
Speaker 3: I've read in a political science independent study class. I read all the Russian novels, and I have to tell you that I once on a Friday night, read the entire Idiot The Idiot until the wee hours of the morning. And that was forty some years ago, and to this day I can remember the horror of waking up from the most incredibly awful nightmare I had ever had and have ever had since in my life. There was just something about going down into that abyss with Dostavskan coming back out, But in my nightmare, I didn't come back out, and I've never forgotten that. So, you know, the idea that they could just turn Russian literature or Shakespeare or anything else into nonsense just makes me sick.
Speaker 2: I hate you.
Speaker 3: I hate English professors.
Speaker 2: You know, for for what it's worth, Alex. You know, our mutual teacher, Harry Jaffa did a long lecture on Dostoyevsky once which he gave a Hillsdale College around nineteen. I'm not sure it was ever published in print, but you can find the you know, the tape of the lecture on the Hillsdale website somewhere. It's quite interesting. That sounds interesting, Yeah, it is. It was very interesting to listen to. Now, I think I want to take an und break real quick because we got a little bit out of phase. But when we come back, Alex, I want to ask you for step one on your path to recovery for higher education. So don't go eight. The three whiskey happy hour will be right back. So, Alex, you mentioned that you're very capacious sounding book that I can't wait to read. I may flog the manuscript out of you at some point. Is you know, ideas for the way back? So what's step one? And maybe the next two or three after that too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean, let me let me in answering that question. Let me just offer a kind of way to think about modernity and about modern institutions. Right, So, manchi Vellu gave a very vivid image for how he was thinking about politics, which is there is a torrent, an out of control torrent, a flood of human wickedness, right, and it will tear cities apart and rip up the earth, he says, right, unless you set up dikes and dams, right, just walls that this torrent has to respond to, so it can be guided safely and soundly to its low but very very concrete end. Right. This is how institutions operate. Right. You set up and you set up walls, and you say, go at it. Be greedy, do whatever you can to get rich, whether it's the market or the state. Be ambitious, politically ambitious. We have checks and balances, We have certain sort of regulations around the market that make sure it has basic fairness. And then you go out and you will maximize productivity. And if politicians can't agree on what's a sensible policy, they'll just cancel each other out and we'll get a still which is much better than the alternative, which is active idiocy, right, which is too often what's pa all the ancient republics, right as the moderns well understood. Right. So the problem with that, though, is that you turn human beings into very greedy, selfish and narrowly ambitious people. Right. And so what we want, what I propose is thinking about dikes and dams that don't just direct the torrent of human wickedness downward, but maybe upwards a little bit.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is there a way to incentivize thinking, thinking about institutions that move people in the right direction? And there are ways to do this, I think, especially with education institutions. So taking this image of institutions, right, So let me give another image, just to make this a bit more concrete. Think about an engine, a car engine. Right, you're driving down the highway. You're going going seventy eighty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: And and uh in ninety a fairy of lucretia.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm with you. I'm with you.
Speaker 3: You know you're twenty seven.
Speaker 1: The other day one and seven were driving.
Speaker 3: There's a stretch of road that is essentially a frontage road, but it goes off and so it's not very well populated and a huge long straight away.
Speaker 2: I think you said, what are you driving? You just say where?
Speaker 1: Oh what?
Speaker 3: I drive a Tesla?
Speaker 1: Oh there you go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Just saw a studio of mine in the chat. How are you doing it? It's good, okay, So think about it like this. You're driving your car. There's thousands of explosions happening just like a two feet from your face in this engine and you're hurling, but you feel safe, right because you know that engine will contain the explosions, the fuel tank's not going to explode randomly. You trust in the engineering, helltho you? Yeah, you don't. Honestly, I think I think more teslas in getting gulfed in than that. Yeah. Anyways, trust you trust that this is going to work right. Similarly with institutions. But the problem is, human beings are not just fuel. Yeah, we can be irritated, set on fire, and we'll go out there and we'll find a way to make a buck, right. But the problem is is we don't always feel good about it, right, And so we have to educate those moral sentiments and we have to direct people to take them seriously. So what's wrong with education institutions, probably especially higher education. Well, we've talked about lower lower standards, right, We've talked about a lack of historical literacy. Right. So one of the things we've done at the University of Austin is that every student has to take a core curriculum. Every single grade in that core curriculum is ai proof to I think something like eighty percent very high percent, which means you can be certain that and we're also anti grade inflation.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was the thing you said before?
Speaker 1: A I proved right, So I proved yeah, so you know that. So just to give a simple example, just have essay exams. Have three hour essay exams. You have to sit down, you get a question you haven't heard before, that's what my h my preference, and you sit down and you have to actually work out that question of three hours.
Speaker 3: It's like we did in the old days.
Speaker 1: Just like we did in the old days, right, And so that's what I was trained to do since middle school. And this is what students ought to be doing from very young. So if you do that and then you say, okay, you're we're not having great inflation. This is an actual measure of your knowledge and your abilities. And on top of that, your access to university resources will be dependent on your rank in the class. So one policy we've had is that if we have a let's say you have a startup idea and we have a wealthy venture capitalist. Sounds redundant, but never met a down on can probably not be a venture capitalist anymore. But you've got a wealthy venture capitalcies interested and guess what, only the top GPAs get to go there. Those are concrete sort of walls. Let's say, if you want access, if you want the degree, first of all, but also if you want access, you need to be doing the right things. If you start thinking about educational institutions in this way, you can revitalize and incentivize historical literacy, right, institutional literacy just understanding how we got where we are, why it's sensible, what the limits are of what we're doing, and you can then take the most ambitious students, make sure that they have that background knowledge, but then also give them access to real opportunities. If you start thinking about institutions in that way, you'll you'll start producing much better citizens and leaders. Right. So that's just a single example that gives you a kind of general sense of how I'm thinking about this conceptually.
Speaker 3: Another word devil's advocate for a moment to things on that. Number one, the problem with sort of putting Machiavelli in the terms that you did is that this is the problem with the Machiavelli, not you, and that is that somehow you've got ends that are defined by nothing that leads me to my second problem with what you said, which is the left has successfully done everything you say in a perfectly Machiavellian way, which is to say, they have taken over educational institutions. They have to what purpose. It's not entirely clear, because there is no end for the right thinking leftist, but they have been so successful at destroying the ability of students to think, at the ability of students to write. They have been so successful all the way down to pre school that I am not sure unless we can sort of begin there rather than with right thinking, intelligent graduate students. I really am playing Devil's advocate a little bit because I'm not quite as it's pessimistic about this. But at the same time, you know, I have students who really cannot form a sentence. Now they can because they have AI, of course, but well, you know, and and they have this zero, absolutely zero historical knowledge.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: No, they're smart, but they're so poorly educated for so long that I don't know what you do about it.
Speaker 1: This is your your This is a great question because you're you're forcing me to bring a lot more into this, and let me just hit a couple bullet points that I think we'll address a few things that you said first. First thing you said about this this question of so I think what you're touching on is the malleability of man, the idea that human beings can be shaped to whatever end you want, which helps when you think of human beings as a kind of monad of fear and greed, self interest, right, which is what Machiavelli does, Hobbes does. Right. They all kind of do this, and then they say, well, taking man singularly, we can kind of build institutions around them. I'm heartened by the fact that as theoretical physics seems to sort of not have basic answers to our deepest questions. Is this revival of interest in Stoicism, in traditional Christianity, especially Catholicism, right in pre modern thought generally, It's remarkable to see technologists talking about Xenophon's education of Cyrus, Plutarch, about Marcus Thereli, is about Plato, even as they talk about Machiavelli and others.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's a real longing at the heart there, and I think this shows that we're well aware that the attempt to explain all of human longing, all of human ends in terms of mere matter, emotions, atoms, and void, my feminine lucretius over here. All of that has not really satisfied us deep down. And I think there's a real sense that there's a limit here, and there's a real hunger. And I see this from young students, a couple of whom I see Judah as in the chat here how you doing. I see this from young students that they really do want more. They do want something more, but they want it to be rigorous, and so there's a real opportunity for revival of nutrition. Now, as to where you should start to go back to the beginning of education, you're absolutely right. But here's the thing that I've been thinking about more and more lately, is that when a student comes into your classroom at eighteen, they haven't been in education that long. It's civilization can be destroyed very quickly. It can also be revived by people who really are not unafraid to wield power. And I'm hardened by the fact that the right is getting less afraid of wielding power and less sort of anti status. And it's I think that the libertarianism has its place in market et cetera. But we need to be dear about what our cultural priority civilizational priorities are. And I think if you did something as simple as classify any education institute that is accepting a certain percentage of students that are reading and doing math at below a certain level as remedial institutions and then use that as an index for failing high schools. If you just to clear an education crisis and really compel some serious changes, you'd see something. Now if you look at what's going on in Mississippi right for less money, they have higher reading scores than in California, that shows you that all it takes is a little political. But it doesn't take that much. Right now, it's Spencer pract going to do it in California. I doubt it. I really employed that superman at or whatever, right, but I do. I do think there is political will, and it only takes a decade or so. And I'll leave you with this this thought. The school choice movement does classical education. These civic institutes. There are young men and women already going through these places about to go and get an education. They'll get PhDs, they'll go into leadership roles. I think that in ten to twenty years you're going to see some pretty remarkable young men and women come out of these education institutions, and guess what we'll get. We'll get on the right, you're going to have really well formed, well educated leaders. And on the left, what will you get what we saw with Joe Biden and Kamrade Harris. You get puppet presidencies, right, you get weekend at Bernie's presidency, and then this DEI face for what is essentially, if you want to go that far a deep state right, you'll see how it works out. The real substance is going to be on the stage. And I think you know, we often as conservatives of one kind or another, put myself in the other category, but essentially, at one time or another we get very disheartened about the future of civilization. But there is a positive story to be told in which the quality and the power of leadership will be undeniable on one side because the other side has relied on institutions and not enough on individual formation. And that's just where the right has as a leg up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, my summary of what the way you describe your step a minute ago is that what students want and need is rigor and challenge and you're right that they respond to that. So you may know this already, but you know so Hillsdale they're pretty rigorous, they're and serious, they're explicitly conservative. But leave that aside from their method of instruction. Why didn't you hear about Oliver Washington and elsewhere the Wall Street Journal? You know, the media said cut these Hillsdale grads. They're really smart and they're really able at age twenty two, age twenty three, and I'll bet uat X is going to get that reputation really fast. Right, we're going to take another quick ad break. But when we come back, Alex, I want to take you back to something you said in your initial description of the book to push this a little bit further. So, Alex, you talk about remedies, but I want to go back to one of the conditions you describe in a way have never heard it done before, but I think it's probably correct, profound, deeply serious. You said something like I was trying to make notes that when you get chaotic educational institutions, it ends up spilling out too or causing a chaotic regimes. So the point is is that what you say, the populars version of that thought to the extent that is the same. Is everything bad in our country starts in faculty meetings, right, It comes from the campuses, right. But boy, I mean it's one thing to start turning out some really smart, effective leaders from these isolated citadels of excellence that we're all trying to promote and help out with. But boy, that's a long time for that to drip feed through a political system and turn around this the ship of state that's you know, sinking, right, So that's a I don't know, I'm saying, yeah that perhaps.
Speaker 1: There's this there's this line where the ship of State is brought up and players Republic where he's talking about about how you know, you have this drunken ship owner and he's got these all these sophist sailors trying to be hot and awful, and then he says and the ship sales as you might expect, which is a very strange way you would say it sinks. Right. The truth of the matter is that even with very bad leadership, it kind of trudges along because there are these these pressures. So I would just say that there's you know, there's a bit of of of pressure against that, and I am struck how much the the average person, even who's who's fairly ideological, will start conceding points when when they it comes up and butts up against their own lives. Right, So I think I have just a word of caution on the too much of the doomsday stuff there. But yes, I mean, civilization is always a difficult thing, right, It's always very fraught, and it has its fragilities, and it can be lost on the one hand. On the other hand, you know, students are running away from the humanities. And what's interesting is I see So let me take my friend Shiloh Brooks in his class at Princeton. He taught that at CU, he brought it to Princeton, and this guy, who was not a tenured faculty member, suddenly went from a class that had I don't know, a dozen two dozen students to hundreds in his class because he knew how to teach, He knew how to speak to the deepest longings of students. He wasn't just giving prepackaged ideology, wasn't finger wagging at them in this homeownersh way about their race, etster and their privilege. He just talked about what it means to be ambitious And guess what, Prince students, wouldn't you think they're interested in ambition. They tend to be an ambitious bunch and what they want to learn about that part of themselves, the part that they deal with every single day. I think there's you know, my hope, to be quite blunt, is that the civic institutes will cannibalize students from the other discipline so that they will grow even as we have this population. Yeah, and I think we're going to see it. As long as these places are well run, there's going to be a shift and the students are going to flock to them because that's where real stuff is going on. They have money, they have interesting speakers. There's a debate happening. They're actually facing the questions instead of just talking down to you. And guess what where talent is. That's where smart kids will go and the best kids will go. So things like that, and we could go on and on about this, but I'm happy to see some counter pressure. I'm firmly believe that the education on offer by individuals in these places is uh leaps and bounds better and more relevant and addresses to real issues. And that's students eighteen year olds. They're not committed like their teachers are. They are flexible, willing to dye their hair different colors, they'll dress differently, they'll think differently. Provided that there are some decent arguments, you just got to put them right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out competition works and right. You can tell by the way the established faculties at some places like Ohio State are freaking out about these tiny outposts and they're you know, so, yeah, that's going to be interesting to watch. Yeah, Lucritian, did you want to jump in on the No, you're you're happy. I mean, I usually Okay, I've diverted you during the break.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Plato. I'm not sure we have enough time to because I mean, we could talk to you for hours about it. Uh, but you have written a book about Plato's Symposium that I have to confess I've not read. But I started thinking about the symposium again when you had this ruckus out of Texas A and m in a or so ago about a professor of philosophy. He's a total modernist. I looked at syllabus. It's all modern journal articles on silly things plus two excerpts from Plato Symposium, and that got him in trouble because I think he was using him for mischievous and incompetent purposes. But but you know, am I actually pretty weak on Plato. I mean the Gorgioas is the one I know best because I took my first seminar in political philosophy with Jim Nichols. Was translated. Yeah, and you know, we spent a whole semester doing it like Roni Berger does, going you know, two pages at a time. It was fantastic, And I go back to the Gorgias and look at my notes in the margin all the time. In any case, So the Symposium, though, I think it's pretty different from a lot of the other dialogues, and it's actually I'm not sure it's right to say less of a dialogue than most of them that we're familiar with. Is it possible, Alex me to give a little thumbnail sketch about what's the central not ideas, but you know, central purpose of the symposium and how it firs from the others, And what's one or two things that you think people ought to know about it and why they should read it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's about love. And it's so I have this thesis about Plato that I've written a bit here and there, and then I've kind of nudged at. But I'll just throw it out here that every dialogue attracts a certain kind of reader. It actively cultivates a certain reputation. Right, So the symposion literally called the banquet or the drinking party. Drinking together is literally what the tuitle needs. Now oddly enough that people don't drink in there, which is Plato's way of saying, I'm going to subvert your expectations. And if you've heard about the book at all, you'll you'll know who's in it. Socrates, Aristophanes, al Sabaiines, Agatha, all these really remarkable figures in Athenian politics and in Athenian intellectual life. Pausanius, Eric Simgus. These are known people. And so it has a reputation, a gossipy reputation, and it opens with gossip by people talking about it, right, and you think, oh, this is like being at the mech gala after party. Right, I can talk to you know, this person and that person or whatever. Creastia rolls her eyes if you have a fine of her deep psychic health. That's very good, right, But Trance a certain reader, and who is this kind of reader? They want to be part of the in crowd. They want to be part of this community, the sense of that there's something, there's a real gathering here happening. I want to be a part of it. And guess what. Socrates shows up late. He shows up rudely, he insults the guy there. And here's the problem. Agathon is a is an accommodating host. He creates a beautiful environment, and that's what you think you want to be a part of. But Socrates, how do you accommodate the annoying, petulant, difficult Maggie Socrist? You can't. And Agathon struggles, and of course what does you do? The second he gets a chance to speak, he starts asking people questions, trying to make it a dialogue. And then when it's finally his turn, he objects to the whole proceedings and he has this whole whole issue, and he tries to change it. And the question really at the heart of it is can this wonderful, beautiful community ultimately satisfied The most stringent of guests, right, the most demanding of guests, and the philosophic question there is whether the beautiful or the noble, right, this beautiful, organizational, organized whole can actually be good for you for the person who's most serious about what their own good is, about what living the good life is. And the answer is yeah, maybe, but probably not not on this social social level. So it's a delightful dialogue. It's full of speeches about love, very ironic, kind of un self aware speeches about love. It's titillating, it's sometimes a little gross because there is a kind of pedaph right about it, and it's politically remarkable. Alcibiz comes in drunk and vino very toss. He confesses is joked in love with Socrates, the fact that Socrates, here's something for you, Socri seems to laugh at him, at his naked body. That it doesn't take a master psychologist to know that that could be damning to a beautiful person, to have the ugliest man at Porson Athens laugh at the person that everybody wants at his naked form. And that's that's a uh if you, if you ask me, what's a philosophic text that's both delightful and deeply interesting. It's got to be the symposium. It was interesting. His favorite dialogue, maybe the most beautiful dialogue.
Speaker 2: Now I've got one more question for you about this. So again as back to our teacher Harry Jaffa, who like to direct our attention to the final paragraphs of the symposium, And now here I'm going by memory, and I'm sure I'm going to butcher it, but it's it's where as Jaffa used to put it, And you know, my own reading says, okay, I see why I said that Socrates speculates that there will someday be a great thinker or writer who can be proficient in both tragedy and comedy. And Java says that was anticipating Shakespeare. Does that strike you as plausible or is that unting too far?
Speaker 1: Let me let me put a finer, finer point on that. He says that the person who can make tragedy by art or by technical ability could also write comedy. Would I take this to me? So my book on this is called Musings on Plato Symposium. It just got translated into German, so that's from Political Animals. It got translated to German as politic des eros Gungen not on symposion anyways, if you like German, that's from Claustromod translated by Peter Traviny. It's a wonderful translation, with a really good introduction by the translator. Anyways, Setting that aside, the person who makes tragedy by art by technical ability can also make comedy. Tragedy has that it's heart the gods. Right, If you're making it by technical skill, you're essentially inventing the god of the play. It's not just inspiration from beyond and then you give it voice, but you're actually making it, and so you've got a bit of ironic distance on your own gods. So that's a kind of a comedian element. I would say that the first master of that, and the first persons Socras intimates is Plato. The way he invents the forms, the good, the one, the precise itself, depending on the dialogue. But Shakespeare is certainly certainly capable of that, I think, and it's it's very difficult to see in play in Shakespeare, I mean, where he's not in control of the plays and everything that's happening in them. So certainly a master of his of his craft and of everybody on the stage, even if it is the God and Lee or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, so Alex, we have barely scratched the surface here. We're gonna have to have you back two or three more times and keep going without this some other things. But we're gonna do our last commercial break and then we're going to come back and do our exit stuff. Stick around for this, Alex, as you can hackle and chime in. We do our best of the Babylon b for the week, and then I'm skipping my AI generated parody this week. But this has been fun, So let's as we ride back for our usual closing. Although I've got a couple of new ruffles and flourishes maybe, so we'll be right back. All right, Lucretia, what's the best of the Bee this week that you've seen so far?
Speaker 3: The best of the Bee? We're a short week actually because the last time we met was only four days ago, just five days ago. But I came up with some So first of all, we haven't talked at all about Iran, which you said we were going to do, because in fact, you're half Iranian half path are you half Iranian or half Persian?
Speaker 1: Half? Alright, my mother is from Iran. My grandfather, who he just buried, was the son of a cleric, I'm told in Iatola. But this is from very long ago. My father is from France. He's a Parisian. So I'm the first person born in the US on either side, hence Priu and not right, Yes, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: So Iran issues a serious threat that they have a massive reserve of more serious threats. That's very Since you brought up the the petrol relationships. Experts say engagement ring should cost at least two tanks of gas. Always thought that was like the dumbest thing, you know, Oh, you've just been too anyway, that's because I'm not one of those kinds of women that anyway. Tucker Carlson denies ever hearing of this.
Speaker 1: Tucker Carlson, fellow, Oh that's gonna yeah, wasn't that didn't he He got caught ray Is that what I was referencing? He got caught saying I never said this thing.
Speaker 3: He went to he had did a really horrible interview with the New York Times, and I'm sure he wish was buried.
Speaker 1: But yeah, can I say to the Persians with serious threats, I can tell you As a matter of fact, this is when everybody says, oh, I'm so worried about the orions. Someone like, let me tell you, Iranian's talk a big game. I've seen it. I have. I have aunts and uncles up the wazoo. We got we got tons of cousins. They all have big schemes, big big ideas. And it's always Virgans like to talk a big game.
Speaker 2: It's saying rug merchant to slur.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I'm gonna start using it whenever one of my cousins gets big in his bridges.
Speaker 3: All right, Coder, I really like this one. Coder displaced by a I told he should just learn to mind Cole.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good one to write.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is only for my my Catholic friends, perhaps perhaps the Protestants out there. Jumping the Shark, I really like this one. Jumping the Shark. The chosen criticized for planning to kill off main character only to resurrect him next episode.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, okay, just I'll.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the met Gala.
Speaker 1: I'll do this one.
Speaker 3: Hubo hobo hobo with garbage can stuck on his head. Mistaken for met Gala attendee. Did you guys see that one note, Yes, the one in the wheelchair who was a black, transsexual LGBT cerebral palsy quadriplegic. I mean, and is now this the you know, the lead models of some modeling agency.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the next Democratic National Committee candidate exactly.
Speaker 2: Makes it easy. It's getting beyond parody. Now, it's gotten so out of hand.
Speaker 3: It really is last one compassionate, hoping everyone knows the news. Compassionate. Federal judge rules assassin should get one more shot to kill Trump.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, yeah that if Yeah, that's right. Okay, I'm done right, Yeah, all right. So I'm just going to compress our ending because normally John has a little speech and I'll just summarize it. He always says, always drink your whiskey and eat buy more books. That's one of our models. We have a hoarding problem when it comes to books. And then I usually come in and say, you have been listening to the three Whiskey Happy Hour sponsored by our friends at the Civitas Institute, the podcast dedicated to single malts singular metaphysics coming soon, microtonal punk. I know that it's my new way I'm going to torture you and John Lucretia stand by you will, you will, Those who know, we'll know, and others will find out. And with that, that's a rapper this week. Thanks for coming, Alex, this has been great.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me. This is a great, great time.
Speaker 2: Ricochet join the conversation.