Speaker 1: Channel nine weather forecast got cloudy skuys a day with light precipitation. Afternoon showers may be popping up fifty nine for the high today, down to forty five tonight with clouds will decreasing. Get mostly sunny day tomorrow with the highest sixty four, a few clouds every night forty seven and Saturday partly cloudy skies in the highest sixty eight fifty six degrees.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's hear about traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Triumphic Center. From pregnancy and metopause to healthy aging. The women's health experts that you see health offer person obia's care with the newest treatments. Learn more Age you see health dot com. Forward slash women southbound seventy one break lights for an extra fifteen minutes between Fields Irtle and Red Bank. Northbound four to seventy one is slow out of Southgate into downtown. Some of those the alternative to Columbia Parkway being shut down. To get ready for it takes that's six street chucking from fifty five krs the tog station.
Speaker 2: It's aake thirty one. It's Thursday. It's time.
Speaker 1: Always look for this particular time of the week and day because we get to talk to iHeart me the eighty AH extpert Jay or left Jay, Welcome back to the program, our friends.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure having you on.
Speaker 4: It is a pleasure to be here. And a belated happy birthday to Honor Flight. Yesterday was the twentieth anniversary. They've taken three hundred thousand veterans to Washington, d C. At no expense to see their memorials. It was started by a team here in Ohio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now they've got Honor Flight one hundred and twenty five cities across the country and they are doing an incredible job.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had one yesterday that went up to d C. Took I think eighty eighty some veterans. Yeah, eight that was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and most all of them Vietnam veterans. I think they are eighty of them that were Vietnam veterans. The rest from North Korea. And you know, God bless the folks that showed up at CVG last night. I was kind of bummed I didn't get a call in a sort of a recap of the welcome home celebration, which is always an emotional thing. It's such such a great, great opportunity to see some patriotism, which we don't get enough of it these.
Speaker 4: Days, and from kids, you know, and in older adults as well, and it's great to see the kids out there. And most of the time they have cards and notes and letters that were put together by kids, colors, coloring and different types of things that'll be putting the welcome home packs for these veterans. But yeah, just a phenomenal organization is Look, if anybody is interested, it's on or flight. Tristate dot org is the site to go to if you want to throw a couple bucks at them or just kind of follow the great work that they're doing because it's it's incredible and happy birthday to an incredible organization that turned twenty as of yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought it up. And if you want to be a guard I was actually had the blessing and benefit of being a guardian on two separate honor flights and just just an amazing opportunity. There's a wait list for that though, I'm always pleased to see, so get on it and wait around maybe a few years before you can be there as a guardian, but it is well worth the effort real quick. Here, we've been in we've been down this river before, and I know you don't mind a curveball or two thrown at you.
Speaker 5: But absolutely what thursday of that? A curveball?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But I saw the headline this morning and I got another chuckle out of it because you and I have talked about this before, and sadly it was a Navy technician. US Navy technician been charged with making a false bomb threat. I mean he made an outright false bomb threat on this flight that was getting ready to take off to Hawaii from San Diego.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know when you're joke king and you say, hey, the guy next to me, he's got a bomb.
Speaker 5: You know, flight attends don't go ha ha and go no. We've got a protocol that's followed.
Speaker 4: So what ends up taking place is, yeah, the airplane goes back to the It doesn't go back to the airport. We take it to a remote location in case there is a possible bomb threat. And they've got their protocol where passengers are removed, the rescreened, they're questioned, the airplane is searched, and it's just an absolute debacle when it comes to what happens to people on the on the airplane because somebody's joke.
Speaker 5: It's like when somebody wants to.
Speaker 4: Be funny by renaming their hot spot on their phone, like Jehad terrorist or something. So when somebody's on a plane and they're looking at some of the hot spots around them, they see that.
Speaker 5: It's like uh.
Speaker 4: And of course once they bring it up to the flight attendant, who notifies the captain, right, it's very clear what's going to happen at that point in time.
Speaker 5: And it's not like we have a choice.
Speaker 4: We have to follow that protocol and it will be done every single time. And that's why when I had people that would fly it and they would show up in a group and they'd be like, hey, you know, when you screen my bag and see these bombs, don't worry.
Speaker 5: It's like, what okay, time out. Now, you and your entire group stand off to.
Speaker 4: The side until the police get here and they're like, well, what did I do?
Speaker 5: It's like, well, you're an idiot.
Speaker 2: I mean, because.
Speaker 5: You just don't do stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Well, Brian, I understand a lot of people that are nervous to fly the way they try to to, you know, compensate is just humor. They want something funny to take their mind off of how scared they are. But there's different ways.
Speaker 5: To do it.
Speaker 1: Nothing funny about that. But then the reaction, and you know this is required, That required the Police Maritime Tactical Team K nineteen, the Joint Terrorism Task Force, along with the San Diego Fire Department, and multiple federal agencies showing up of the scene to sert the aircraft. Think of them being taken away from their valuable law enforcement obligations and going after something that doesn't exist. I mean, the chaos that you create by doing this. It just really angers me, especially that a US Navy technician would be the one of the idiot who should know better that it would cause all this.
Speaker 4: And you're pulling those resources from other places that can be and now they can't immediately respond for a real threat. So you're putting other lives potentially at risk as well by something that you're just exactly it's stupid. It's absolutely stupid, and it happens far too often.
Speaker 1: Don't be that per eight thirty six will continue with Jay Ratliff straphangers on airplanes. That's one of the subjects we're talking about coming up next. Stick around you right back.
Speaker 5: Keep your stupid mouth shut.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Jay Ratliff has He's our heart, media aviation expert and a pilot. Jay forty right now, if you've got a tiercecy talk station, I can't believe this story. You've got here standing airline seats. I suppose if you're standing, they're not really a seat. But this is like the concept of a straphanger on a subway.
Speaker 2: Jay. People are gonna like his no kidding, I don't like the sound of it.
Speaker 5: Well, it actually came out in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: It was at a some sort of conference in Hamburg, Germany, where this skyrider seat was unveiled. It was considered a lightweight alternative to the typical airline seat by having it elevated slightly to a nearly standing position for people that were flying now. To me, when I first saw it, I thought, okay, this is a joke. But the seat look cramped, They looked uncomfortable, and I really questioned how fast you could exit an airplane if you had everybody in one of these things. But you know, apparently these seats have gained approval in Europe and a few low cost carriers are going to be using them by next year. Now airlines love them because the seats are lighter, so less fuel and surprise, they can crab more seats onto those airplanes, more people, more revenue. Who cares if you're comfortable. Apparently it's going to be targeted for flights two hours and less. And I'm telling you, anybody, a person of any kind of size, Brant, I don't see how. And the other thing is, I've got to see the aircraft, see the schematics as far as the seating configuration.
Speaker 5: But you know, now, if somebody.
Speaker 4: In the window seat needs to use the laboratory, you know, you're just moving knees in.
Speaker 5: They kind of screwed out. That's not happening here.
Speaker 4: Everybody's going to the aisle if the person on the on the window seat has to get out and use the laboratory.
Speaker 1: So it's that much that it's that narrow between the standing sea and appears Okay, look.
Speaker 5: I've well said.
Speaker 4: All I've done is I've looked at maybe twenty or thirty different variations of how these could be used in an airplane, and you know, and in a lot of places around the world comforts up secondary. I mean, we're spoiled as Americans because we know what we like and we've got our personal space, which you know, you go to a Disney in Tokyo or something, you're not going to enjoy your personal space because it's just that's how it is. You got to some third world countries and I mean people just cram it and they don't think anything rude of it.
Speaker 5: It's just that that culture.
Speaker 4: So the idea of being crammed into an airplane like this is something that for a lot of people. You know, this is how we travel in some other ways. It's not a big deal for us here in the States. We look at it like, oh, there's absolutely no way. But I tell you what if airlines can find a way to put more people onto those silver revenue, I mean and I both know they're going to do it, Yes, absolutely, And they're going to be forced to you because they're going to say.
Speaker 5: The cause of fuels going up, and we have to do this. It's not our fault.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, right, Well I'm flying blind on how they look. Are you actually supporting your own weight on your legs? Because I'm thinking about folks, maybe if a knee pain or folks that aren't capable of standing for two hours?
Speaker 2: Does it take any weight off of you?
Speaker 5: It does? It? Does it?
Speaker 4: It kind of looks like, you know, one of the things I first saw was the King Cobra. I thought, you know, when that stand up roller coaster where you had kind of the thing that came.
Speaker 5: Between the legs where you get rest a little bit.
Speaker 4: This is a kind of a slight variation of that, but a little bit more where both your feet could.
Speaker 5: Be off the floor if you want it.
Speaker 4: Okay, But Brian, they're just I mean, they're just really crammed in there and the sky if you want to google the image, it's a skyrider seat and it's a sky rider too, I believe it is. And they are there's nothing that screams comfort on this all. And you know, they've got to be safe because they have to meet aviation protocol for regards to you know, withstanding crashes and those kinds of things where they meet a certain tolerance as far as strength, So they're not just throwing a bunch of lawnchairs in there and saying good luck. But it's just, you know, it's it's something totally different from what we've seen here in the United States. And when you go back to the days when you know, the fifties, sixty seventies, when you had plenty of run between rows, you people thanked you, you.
Speaker 5: Know, all these kinds of things. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: That's one thing, But these things are I mean, sardines having better than I think.
Speaker 5: It's bad.
Speaker 1: Bryan, let's puzzle bring Jaba back for one more. Apparently the contagion is spreading now. The Austin Airport's having some delay issues. Plus we'll hear about hub delays one more with Ihart Media aviation expert Jay rat If it's eight forty five right now, fifty five KRC DE talk.
Speaker 5: Station fifty five KRC, What if you had an extra thousand?
Speaker 1: Tell nine? First one will forecast final one in the morning. Here scorecast all day. So we got clouds today, maybe a little possible precipitation later this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Fifty nine for the high down to forty five.
Speaker 1: Tonight, a few clouds and mostly sunny skies Tomorrow sixty four for the high, few clouds every night down to forty seven, and a partly cloudy Saturday with the highest sixty eight fifty six right now final traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Traffic Center. From pregnancy to menopause to health.
Speaker 5: The Agent.
Speaker 3: The women's health experts at u see Health offer personalized care with the newest treatments. Learn more at you see health dot com. Forward slash women South Bend seventy one continues slow from above two seventy five towards Red Bank northbound. Four seventy one backs into Southgate and rain not helping any there. In Bend seventy four backs above Montana. There's a wreck outside eleven and on sixty three near McClure. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRSC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Forty nine if you have KERCD talk station, Happy Friday Eve for you. Back to Jay Ratliffe breaking news. You heard it here first yesterday from Congressman Warren Davidson's mouth. He was going to be a no unless there were sizeable cuts in the spending bill, the Big Beautiful Bill. He and Congressman Massey were the only two no votes. So to Steve out there who claimed that Warren Davidson was ultimately going to vote yes. Sorry, Steve, you called that one wrong, and that confirms what Congressman david said he was going to Davidson said he was going to do so. Spends too much, increases the debt too much, pivoting over the contagion has spread Austin Airport. We had problems with an insufficient number of air traffic controllers in Newark. We Als said, the system manages. I guess it's gone to Austin as well.
Speaker 5: It has.
Speaker 4: In fact, it was a yesterday the Federal ABA's administration initiated a ground delay and it kind of hit us on and off from noon until about seven thirty yesterday, where they had more than one hundred and sixty flights that were impacted, and it caused a significant issue because of the fact that the air traffic controllers they simply didn't have enough. So from a staffing st standpoint, they just reduced the flight activity. And Brian, we're going to be seeing this across the country because a lot of these men and women that are exhausted working over time, some that are taking a mental leave of absence for forty five days. It's just getting tougher and tougher for them to do their job. And when you factor in the idea that this antiquated technology is failing them. A lot of these individuals simply just don't want to stay on the job, and from a retention standpoint, we're really suffering here. And that's one of the reasons that I'm further excited about President Trump trying to make sure that they do everything that they can to upgrade this technology, because I'm telling you, weave these men and women some fun tools to play with, you know, while they're on the job, they're going to it's gonna make it easier for them to do their work, and I think that the job satisfaction everything else will be a lot higher.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Austin was the latest we've had Austin, We've had Denver, We've seen it in as well as in Newark, obviously, and that's going to be an ongoing discussion for a number of years.
Speaker 5: But we've until.
Speaker 4: We address the issue of air traffic controller shortage, and we've talked about it's gonna be years before we can do that. Uh, this is going to be something that we're going to be dealing with as we continue to fly well.
Speaker 1: And something that's taking a number of years off. You and I've been talking about this and it's been all in all over the news, going back to Newark and the failing U systems. I Sell, the CEOs of ten Airlines wrote an open letter to members of Congress asking them to take bold action to deal with the air traffic control system and they point out in the letter U air Control air control offers should not be operating with corroded copper wiring, floppy disks, and physical strips of paper with flight numbers.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, that's the problem, Jay.
Speaker 5: I mean, here we are.
Speaker 4: I mean, we can find a drug dealer on the corner of the fifth and Maine using their cell phone. But we've got to subject our air traffic controllers of this kind of an issue. And it's you know, when when Seann Duffy said some of their parts you have to go to eBay to find Yeah, people thought it was a joke, and no it's not. That's what they have to do to find some parts to keep these types of this type of equipment moving. And it's really unfortunate, but it's the truth. And sadly it's something that you know, could you imagine waking up every day knowing you're going to go to work with people's lives at stake under your control, and you're given these kinds of tools that work some of the time but not all the time. Yeah, and that are so outdated that they were created before you were even born.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And the other component of this, I thought, with the timing was kind of questionable because as you've mentioned, as it's been widely reported, this has been a problem for decades. They're using nineteen eighties technology. Nobody's ever any administration has stepped up to the plate to resolve the problems. Finally now being addressed. But after Donald Trump and the administration says we're going to tackle the problem, We're going to get upgrade to the systems, the CEOs now come out and send a letter to Congress saying they need to take bold action. I mean, you know, hey, wake up, guys, where are you in.
Speaker 4: Well, they've been asking for it, bro Oh okay, but it's been falling on deaf ears because no one really cared because it worked, and you know it's but look, airlines are just as guilty. Southwest Airlines had a Christmas melt down a couple of years ago when their computer crashed for their crew scheduling that was developed in the nineteen nineties technology that they're still using when an airline was a third of the size as it was right now. So airlines are also guilty of not upgrading their own personal stuff as well as they should. But you know, we're talking about something that's twenty years outdated versus something that's forty to fifty sixty seventy years outdated. So it's just ridiculous. It's just beyond that, and the fact that we've been able to enjoy the safest air ever of commercial jet travel as a testament to just how hard working a lot of these people are to keep making that stuff work well.
Speaker 1: As we part company, we always went on hub delays. So how's it looking out there for air travel this way today?
Speaker 4: For all of us hoping we never have a standing seat to have, it looks like, Yeah, the Northeast, Brian's going to be a mess. We've been talking about Newark, the biggest storm system in the country. Whereas it that smacdab right over in Newark, Newark, Boston, d C, Philadelphia. Basically, if you're headed towards the northeast, make sure the airlines have a way to get a hold of you. Show up at the airport early because it's going to be a slogo if you're headed in that direction.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure having none of my program there, Jay. I'll look forward to next Thursday another edition of the segment, and between now and then, best of health to both you.
Speaker 2: And your better have Thank you much, Take care brother.
Speaker 1: Eight fifty four rather fifty five KR site talk station Hour of Health Power with George Breneman and Keith Tennenfeld. We talk about a whole variety of health related issues. Restore Wellness dot Org is where you find George and Keith. Jason Riley with his book Man I'm Pressed by Jason Riley always have been the affirmative action myth why blacks don't need racial preferences to succeed? So interesting conversation that you can get a copy of the book at the five KRC dot com and of course my comra station with Jay Ratliffe there. Tune in tomorrow for Tech Friday with Dave Hatter. Thank you, as always Joe Strekker for producing the program. You do an excellent job, my friend, and I hope you all have a wonderful day and don't go away.
Speaker 2: Glen Beck is coming right up. News happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour, we're moving very quickly. Fifty five KRC the talk station. This report is