Speaker 1: For thirty five years, Cindy Stumpo has been a female homebuilder with a passion for design, a mastery of detail, and a commitment to her crack. With daughter Samantha Stumpo by her side, I don't need my.
Speaker 2: Whole family on a date with me.
Speaker 3: That's a good note.
Speaker 2: It's goddamn weird.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: Stumpo Development is the only second generation female construction company in the country.
Speaker 3: You're crazy, You're a wacko, You're insane. I mean, it just doesn't end together.
Speaker 1: Cindy and Samantha welcome guests to explore the world of construction, real estate, development, design and more.
Speaker 3: Unpredictable. Every time I think I know what you want, you switch it out.
Speaker 1: But that's what makes sure houses all u D. They discuss anything that happens between the roof and the foundation. Nothing is off limits. You truly do care about everybody. She can yell at you get scream, but when you get her alone, she's the best person on the planet. Cindy Stumpo is tough as nails.
Speaker 2: And welcome to Cindy Stumpo check his nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty and I'm here tonight with who leam, what's night's topic? You No, you have no idea, No, I never know. So what's sitting in front of you right now?
Speaker 4: Twoe Brookline Police officers.
Speaker 2: So we think that shows about them. Okay, she really helps me lost my co host. You see that. See that's why she was a blonde. You see the blonde picture. Now as she becomes a brunette. She's becoming a brunette. She's supposed to be getting like shopper, the bloone is supposed to go, the bunette supposed to come.
Speaker 4: You're calling me stupid on national radio Mentione Thatt's see when you can't remember things.
Speaker 2: No, that's just called no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you're just having Cydney language. Now you have an excuse you We have Citney language.
Speaker 2: That's called metopause. Okay. Anyways, our topic tonight is what protecting the community. And I have two Brookline offices.
Speaker 3: Introduce yourself hisagant, robbed de Sarrio, Brookline PD, and.
Speaker 5: I am Paul Campbell, Deputy Superintendent with the Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Police depart What does that actually mean, Paul? What does what does that mean?
Speaker 3: It means he's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Making no money deal making, no money, But go ahead.
Speaker 5: It means I'm I oversee one of the divisions for the police department. So I do a number of a number of different roles. One of the roles I do is public Information officer. But the Community Service Division essentially works for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you Rob, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: So I am the supervisor, the frontline supervisor of the Community Service Division, so I supervise the patrolman that are assigned to the division. And of course I have my other tasks that I'm responsible for. Social media for a shameless plug if I may.
Speaker 2: Oh, so when I go on your social media, you see that's me coming.
Speaker 3: I see you all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so make sure somebody's noticed in what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I create a lot of the content there and videos and still and information and news and stuff. So social media and emergency management is another role of mine in the Community Service Division.
Speaker 2: Okay, And basically you've explained what you do. Okay, I'm going to keep the questions. I'll go so oft with you, guys. I won't go HRD, I won't go really really hard.
Speaker 3: We'll go easy. We're ready, all right.
Speaker 2: Let me just start with this question. If you date, how's the crime rate been? And I know you can't only speak about Boston Newton, nor am I asking you to. But are the cops communicating with each other across the communities or local like is Newton to talking to Brookline? Is Brookline talking to Boston? Is because you border you're bordering Boston, Newton, Jamaica. Plane which is Boston too?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What else do we border West Roxbury, Boston?
Speaker 3: That's it? Yeah, just Boston and Newton are the only two towns that we that we make contact with.
Speaker 2: So you do as police talk to the others, or chiefs talk to chiefs, politicians talk to politicians, or we all on our own in our towns and cities and kind of really.
Speaker 3: So we belong to several different communications, you know, media venues that we communicate with other communities. One example is the Fusion Center, right, and it's and that's specifically targeting you know, terrorists, intel intelligence. So Brookline will communicate with the Fusion Center, and the Future Center is made up of several different agencies. I can't really go into specific tay, so what's what they share? But we are constantly communicating with our neighbors. For example, the breaks that we have had recently. We in constant communication with Newton PD because it appears that these subjects maybe targeting more affluent communities, right, so we want to make sure we're sharing the same information with the towns that are similar to us, like.
Speaker 2: Newton, okay, and I know Weston now is getting bits picking up in Western so we start looking at Brookline, Newton, Weston, Wellesley. This is just common sense, like some things in life, is just common sense. Sometimes common sense is so common anymore. But you're right to say that they're hitting the higher end zip codes.
Speaker 3: And what's interesting about this group is there's no real pattern.
Speaker 2: You can't figure out the patent at this point.
Speaker 3: You can't. So they'll hit, you know, a town local to the Boston area, but then they'll move to a different region and.
Speaker 2: Hit that and hit that area and then come back.
Speaker 3: And then come back eventually. Yeah. So, although there is a lot of discussion about it recently, we've only been calendar year twenty twenty four. You know, we based on the modus operendi, the mo of the incident, we really only have one weekend where where there was suspicious activity and there was a break and that was the first week of March. Prior to that calendar year twenty twenty three, there was only there was only two incidents that we can match the same modus OPERENDI too.
Speaker 2: So when we heard that it was up to maybe close to seven with this one gang, it's up to maybe four.
Speaker 3: I can't speak to other communities, no, just.
Speaker 2: In Brooklyn because I thought on the zoom meaning I heard seven.
Speaker 5: I think that went back through twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Through Do you think these guys are around twenty two? This is a new group.
Speaker 5: It sounds like it's it may not be the same actual people, but it's the same emo. It's the same same type of crime. And we see house breaks from time to time that I don't know, let's call it just a typical house break. These seem to be more sophisticated, better planned out, better equipment there in and out. They know exactly what they're doing.
Speaker 2: But out of that video that I saw that we alsaw these are not Americans speaking people.
Speaker 3: We know that right, correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, like I said, some of my clients listen to it seemed like it was coming out of Central America and they, as I hear, they have what's the device that can lock down your Wi Fi?
Speaker 5: They have some sort of a jammer, at least we believe in some cases there have been Wi Fi jammers which can affect wireless security cameras.
Speaker 2: So and we've had other break ins in our areas. So it's just become what our areas just many areas, not just our area, many areas. It's just a target for what let's go rob Look, I'm a product of nineteen eighty two. Right when your house got robbed in nineteen eighty two or seventy and you're a teenager, typically you weren't home. Typically there were professional robbers. If there was such a thing as professional robbers, I guess that's what the profession was. A robbers. They weren't going to come in your house at night time. They came during the day. And I think everybody would agree. If you're going to rob me and I'm insured during the day, then go rob me. But this nighttime stuff is nothing. Nobody likes this.
Speaker 3: That's the scariest thing about it is when they come in when someone's home, right, so they'll they'll pick larger homes just for that for that reason. If somebody is home there on the other side of the of the house. We're talking about, you know, really large properties.
Speaker 2: Here, I would know that. I'm just a builder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a builder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually the one building those large homes if you're regaling.
Speaker 3: But that's the most that's the scariest part is the fact that's, you know, the idea that somebody will are brazen enough to come in while you're home.
Speaker 2: You use the right word, you know, word I use that's really ballsy.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I can't say that yet.
Speaker 2: I know that's a girl. I just use it real. Okay, what made you guys want to be com police officers?
Speaker 3: Well, I grew up in Brookline. I grew up in I don't know if you can refer to it as the point and yeah point, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my my mother grew up in the same house, so we were second generation in the same house. And I knew all the neighborhood cops.
Speaker 2: So it's not like your dad was a cops my dad.
Speaker 3: No, My dad was a custodian at Nina High School and my mother worked for Beth Israel in the human resources division, and we just knew all the neighborhood cops. And it just seemed like and you have to understand, I'm much. I'm a product of the eighties, right right, and I'm too old.
Speaker 2: No what how old? I'm fifty nine? What are you?
Speaker 3: I'm forty six. I just turned I feel really bad. Few not okay, So you don't to understand. Back in the eighties and nineties, what was the most popular television show on Fox? It was Cops? Right, So that's where I got all my internet. This is pre this is pre internet. I couldn't google anything back then, Cindy, I hear. So that was all my information was watching Cops and it seemed exciting, and that's googling band.
Speaker 2: I was a lesbian builder.
Speaker 3: Google it. Oh is that right?
Speaker 2: You know I'm married with two kids. Okay, yeah, she must be gaged to the building. No, I get it, I get it. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So that was this preaked my interest. I went to college for criminal justice, and I know I was nine months out of out of college when I took the exam.
Speaker 2: All right, hold that off, one man, we gotta go off to break. I'm Sidney Stumble And you listen Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Tent there and be right back, sponsored by Floor and Decor, National Lumber and Village Bang.
Speaker 3: You can look point somebody on the side walk car jacking. Old lady had a rid lad good god on the owner of the liquor store.
Speaker 2: You think it's cool left the food. Welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio. Tent there and I'm Sidney stump On and I'm here with my daughter Samantha, and I'm here with who good guys.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Rob de Sario Brookline pet Get used to.
Speaker 5: Radio Deputy Superintendent Paul cam Okay.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit of an agy song, as people would say that we just broke in, but it's it has a lot of meeting right like this the stuff that's going around the whole country. That song took some criticism. Friend of mine, Christy No South Dakota Governor got right behind him and stood behind that song was now racial, nothing about it. It was just it's called respect, respect of the law. And that's what we've lost here. We've lost law and order in respecting the men in blue and the women in blue. Right. That's why I asked you why you know you became a cop, and that was your answer. Now fast forward today. Like people always ask me, if you had a due over Cindy, would you change your career? My answers always know I wouldn't change a thing. Given the opportunity today, twenty three years old, coming out of college twenty one, twenty two, would you have picked the same not knowing.
Speaker 3: What you know now? And that's a very difficult question.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like asking a lot of I can ask you some easy one, like let's go.
Speaker 3: I like difficult. Okay, you got it. There's a lot of positives to the police service, and I'm glad I got into it when I did. But if you know, if I was there were different options for me today if I was in the same position. So I kind of dodged your questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna answer the question. I'm gonna ask the question differently. Okay, do you feel like when you first became a police officer there was more of a respect factor? And let me clarify something to all my listeners. There's always gonna be good cops and bad cops, and there's always gonna be good doctors and bad doctors, and good lawyers and bad lawyers, and good accountants and bad accountants and good people and bad people, good builders and bad buildings, and good builders and bad builders, and good brokers and bad brokers, and good financial advisors and bad financial advisors. Okay, that's just the way of the world. Most cops I've ever known in my both cities Newtonberg Line have been great guys. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I got pulled over, guess what, guys, I was speeding. I didn't sit there and say what I do and play stupid. My father said, listen, you get pulled over, just admit what you did and maybe the cop will be nice enough to let you go with a warning and maybe not. But own yourself, hold yourself accountable. That Hammond Street, I've probably been pulled over, were anybody else on Hammond Street? Okay in all those years, yep? I know what they did, you know. And again, you know, I've been a building here for so long, so every once in a while, you know, they do detail. They I'd get a break, Sidney, just keep driving, slow it down, you know what I mean, and yell at me like slow it down, not nicely. You know, he's right, slow it down. He's saving my life and somebody else's life. So you know, I always say, look at if you have a reason to feel the cops, then you should feel cops. Not a drug dealer, not killing people. I'm not doing anything wrong, So I don't feel you guys, right, and the story.
Speaker 3: And what's the worst that can happen? You receive a citation, what's the big deal?
Speaker 2: Okay? And my insurance goes up. But again, seriously, like, just hold yourself accountable.
Speaker 3: I think the attitude towards the police as more society based than it is an actual occupation.
Speaker 2: I just so disrespected out there. Come on, he's so disrespected there.
Speaker 3: So I came on in a very unique position. So I was in the academy when September eleventh happened.
Speaker 2: And if you remember, oh, you mean a day that everybody forgets this country. Yeah, oh and the other the other people that say we did this ourselves.
Speaker 3: It was an inside job.
Speaker 2: It was an inside job. Ye, September eleventh.
Speaker 3: I was in the academy. So I was at in and we were graduating in November. So two months after September eleventh, we were graduating. So if you remember, everybody had flags on their cars, everybody was very paid. The country came together everybody loved firefighters, but everybody loved cops because there's a lot of cops that died that day too, and who ran.
Speaker 2: By the way, are still losing their lives from nine to eleven from breathing in all that from from psych guys that came out afterwards and cleaned it up. No one wants to know that. No one remembers that because they don't talk about anymore.
Speaker 3: So when I came on, I just thought that was normal. So when I graduated in November, I had people by and my coffee I don't go, don't and shake in my hand, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You felt proud and it was very it was very proper.
Speaker 3: But I just thought that was normal, Yeah, welcome, because I didn't know any better. But then some of the older guys like, yeah, this is not how it usually goes. But everybody was still, you know, coming off the nine to eleven hangover that they were just kind of like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that hangover might be coming again. I have no proof of anything, so I'm not in discriminating myself, but the way you see the country going down, this one phase me and I wouldn't phase anybody at this point. So all I'm saying. I was trying to get to the point that if anybody that has stayed on, I know Brookline Newton as we were talking earlier, have left the force three years off of thirty years. Now, when you do your thirty years, you're full pensioned out. Correct, thirty two years thy two years. You have to be a certain age too, you have to be fifty five. Okay, so if you live, if you leave two three years earlier, what is that a difference in a paycheck?
Speaker 3: It's a big difference. Correct, You know, you're going from eighty percent, so maybe even into the sixties.
Speaker 5: Okay, about two and a half percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big deal. That's a big deal at the end, after you serve for thirty two years and you leave two three years early because you can't take any more stress, right, the stress the job. But the big one was nobody had your backs. The politicians didn't have your backs. The mayor is the this the that they no one has your back, So you're out there fighting a fight alone. And the things I heard from many community cops is like I'm out, I'm done, it's not worth it. I'm not going to get sued I'm not putting my life on the line if I do something, if I'm found guilty, I could end up in jail. So I'm done.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of the number one issue that I see is people are afraid to do that you're supposed to do because of being It's not so much criminal changes, it's more being sued. You know. I put hands on this person, you know, and I was justified.
Speaker 2: And everybody's going to camera out.
Speaker 3: Everyone's got a camera too, so.
Speaker 2: And then they'll add it out what they don't want you to see, right, the truth.
Speaker 3: Right, everything is, everything is added, there's no question, and then everything is out of context too. And only the TikTok video was only fifteen to twenty seconds, so everything that led up to that fifteen and twenty seconds has been heeded out. So yeah, it's a completely different world. And it wasn't like that when I came on. And I'm sure the deputy, you know, when he came on, they were still on horseback.
Speaker 2: But how long you've been on deputy.
Speaker 5: Twenty five years? I came on in ninety.
Speaker 4: Eight and a nice way of calling him old, I would never I would never do that.
Speaker 2: It's got a custom the game here. All right, here's a question to you, the same question. You like your job.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: It's there's been ups and downs for sure. And you know he mentioned September eleventh, when you know after that, there was there were, there were.
Speaker 2: It was a great feeling. America came together.
Speaker 5: You know, marathon bombing was the same thing. After the marathon bombing.
Speaker 1: Yeap.
Speaker 2: Most people forget that one too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was in a Twitter room recently. Yeah, they said in the Twitter room, Yeah, that was French people that did that. I'm like, we did you read that? You idiot? Like wire you coming up? I'm on that stupid thing, fighting with people every night, Like I need to get a life, right raise I get off that Twitter right now. I'm like, no, I'm not getting off. There's no fight. I won't fight, Okay. So this is what I don't understand, guys. You know, when you get into these debates for people, they'll say, well, crime's down one percent. Well maybe it's down one percent in your area, but it's up in our area. So how do they say crimes down one percent? Not that's a big swing, by the way, one percent. I'm not taking those odds, by the way one percent is not the odds I want to take. Is crime up in our area?
Speaker 5: So in Brookline, yeah, I think crime is up over the last couple of years. Okay, not up dramatically, but certainly not down.
Speaker 2: Really, because I don't remember all these home breakings, and I build most these homes, these new homes, the last thirty six years here, so I don't recall this is this is all Google crazy to me. This is not something I recall.
Speaker 5: You have.
Speaker 2: Of course you heard about a break in, but it wasn't like five guys running through a backyard with backpacks like I never saw that before.
Speaker 5: Well, I also think certain types of crimes are going to make a bigger impact.
Speaker 3: Right If you leave your.
Speaker 5: Car unlocked and you come out in the morning and someone has rifle through your car and they slow your change they had in the center console, you don't feel good about that. But it's not quite the same thing as if you learn that someone broke into your next door neighbors home while the home while the residents were in the house, And that's the kind of thing that that makes a huge impact. You know that that contributes to fear of crime in a way that someone's stealing loose change from your car isn't going to do so it You know that, you know, even if the percentages, you know, if the crime rate stays exactly the same, the type of crime makes it makes a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Of you know, similar people applying for licensed to care in auto.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is an increase, substantial increase.
Speaker 2: Yes, And how hard is it now in the town of Brookline to get a license to carry?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not the one who is them, but uh, you know, the Supreme Court, the Bruined decision came out a couple of years ago that that made it easier to get a license to carry.
Speaker 2: As long as you're a good person. Yeah, with no record, no background, no nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I forget exactly what. But there's a suit suitabil.
Speaker 2: I thought I gotta go to break com Siddy stompoint and listened Tough as Nails and WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Ten thirty rate sponsored by Pillow Windows of Boston, Next Day Molding and Kennedy Carpet.
Speaker 2: And Welcome to Tough as Nails And I'm Sydney Stumpone. You're at WBZ News Radio ten thirty. I'm here with Maantha and.
Speaker 5: Deputy Superintendent Paul Campbell from the Brookline Police Department.
Speaker 3: And Sajara rob DeSario from Brooklyn Peuty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so people are applying for licenses and that amendment is being honored.
Speaker 5: Yes, the standard to evaluate who gets a license to carry has changed, and so it is there.
Speaker 3: It's easier now to get a license care.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about that now, because I'm debating this with a lot of people across the country on Twitter spaces. Let's talk about there are states that have what we used to call the King of the Castle law. Right, you came in my home. I live in Texas, I live in Florida. Certain states we have Massachusetts, can somebody explain. Let's choose me. Hypothetically, somebody breaks into my home. What is the first thing I'm supposed to do. Let's give people the rundown on what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: To your knowledge, call nine one one and if you can't get out of the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, So remember I have a gun, Right, I can protect myself. Hypothetically, Right, I have to get to a phone to call you. But maybe I'm in the shower. I just got the shower. I can't get to a phone to call you, but I'm fine not to have my gun in the bathroom. Hypothetically you're coming. Let's say I can't get out of the bathroom. I can't get to a phone and call you. I hit the panic button, but these thieves have a set way of knocking down my Wi Fi system. What happens next if I can't get to safety, I can't get out of the house, right, because that's the rules. I'm supposed to get out of the house if I can't call you because half our WiFi sometimes doesn't work in any ways. Right, You're like home phones are important. People put home phones back in your houses. Right, that's important. If I can't get out of the house and go the way you just told me, and I can't get to I'm locked in the bathroom, hypothetically, what do I do next? Now you come in the bathroom? What are my rights? Do I have any rights? Or really no rights? Still? What is the how's this? How's this?
Speaker 3: Tell me? What the what the statue reads? Here?
Speaker 2: What is do we know what it really reads because it seems like everybody interprets it differently or do we not really have an answer? In Massachusetts?
Speaker 3: So if you're out and about the in society, pathetically, hypothetically, if you're out and about in society, you have a duty to retreat if you if there's what does that mean retreat? You need to remove yourself from whatever the situation is.
Speaker 2: And what if the person's on my back? Now I can't retreat.
Speaker 3: But then you have every right to defend yourself.
Speaker 2: And will I get arrested when the police come to the house until you figure out what happened, what will happen.
Speaker 3: Or hypothetic just hypothetic, will be arrested? I'll be arrested. No, it depends on when, it depends on when you call it quits. Right, So there's a you have. You have every right to defend yourself. If you're on the street and you're being assaulted or something, you can defend yourself, right, you have to take a reasonable means to defend yourself. Anything past that reasonableness.
Speaker 2: But then again, looks at that what's reasonable? What isn't reasonable?
Speaker 3: Right? I can't speak to what a DA would do, but as a responding police officer, I'm obviously pete. Let's say everybody separated. I'm interviewing this person. I'm interviewing this person I'm interviewing witnesses that were on the street or on the train. Tell me what happened. Everybody gets pulled in. Everybody gets pulled in, unless that might be hypothetically dead. Now, if there's any question whatsoever, the officer's going to write up the report and it's going to submit it to the ADA in the eight or the clerk magistrate, and they're going to decide whether or not our charges should be filed against you. And I think for the police, that's that that's the simplest, easiest way for us to determine because point.
Speaker 2: About, I guess that this is my home. I pay taxes here. This is where I'm supposed to come home and feel safe. Everybody walks the door. It's supposed to be. Okay, I got enough stress at work all day, enough stress with the kids all day. Now, I want to come home and I want to feel safe where a lot of people don't feel safe anymore. But okay, I get the way I interpret the law, and I've read it five times. I have to be you have to pretty much be right on top of me as a license holder to use that weapon. That's the way I'm interpreting it. And then the other interpretation is you come in and you you kill me, or I kill you. I kill you. No, I kill you. You don't kill me, okay, because then you'd be sued. It's my home. I kill you because you're right on top of me. I get my gun out and somehow I put the ball through your belly somehow, Right, I watched a lot of movies, right, so I'm going buy movies. Okay, Now your wife comes out, your mother, your father, your sister, your and I'm sued civilly because that's coming next, especially if there's something to get, which is insurance money.
Speaker 3: Right, So I don't have that problem because I don't have But you don't have anything, so you can't for anything.
Speaker 2: But if you own a home, you do have something.
Speaker 3: Right, and maybe the deputy can talk because but there is a there is a castle doctrine, whereas if you're there's a certain level of threat that you are being threatened in your home. So one of the things they have to evaluate, let's say the responding officer of response to my home, they have to evaluate the motive, Right, what was the person breaking into the house for? Is he a simple petty theft or Is he going to kill me?
Speaker 1: Is he is? He is?
Speaker 3: There social media posts about how he hates sageant Rob and he is going to get him at any Okay, you've got to get revenge, right. So there's a lot of different there's not one clear black and white answer. There's a lot of a lot of gray, and there's a lot of difference.
Speaker 2: So five people come in your house, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it's you know, what is their motive? Why are they coming into my house? Does my house look dilapidated?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Are they squatters? As opposed to another problem?
Speaker 2: We have the problems we have here in the States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, is my house lived in? I mean, are my windows boarded up? Can someone wrongfully think that my.
Speaker 2: Let's hypothetically say it's a beautiful class to upper class neighborhood. Five people lights, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they come in. You know they're asking they're asking for trouble. You know, you're breaking into someone's house with the TV on and the kids toys in the front yard and a swim set in the backyard, and there's cars in the driveway.
Speaker 2: Can we can we just establish here that every DA is going to read our laws differently and proceed differently. I don't think it's etched in stone correct the way I interpret it, and I like little. I've read it five times and I've asked many people the same question, and everybody's got a different interpretation. We're in Florida, Texas. Even your car is part of your home.
Speaker 3: Just think broke in is Norfolk County. In Boston, Suffolk County, you have two separate das there. You commit a shoplifting on one side of kalm Av, there's no you know, the AD will not prosecute certain crimes. I don't know. If you remember the previous District Attorney for Suffer County, she will not prosecute certain crimes. But that's that side of Commav. That's Suffolk County. You cross the street to Brookline side of Kalmav and you shoplift there. The Norfolk County DA will prosecute shoplifting calls.
Speaker 2: So there's a.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't I don't know. I don't know about that. But there was a lot of confusion, especially with the encampment on the under the bu bridge. If you remember, a lot of people were coming over into Brookline to shoplifts because there's convenient you just cross over there, so we would stop them after the shoplifting. We would stop them. In some cases we would arrest them. In some cases we would summon them in and they were mystified by the fact that we were taking any criminal action at all, and we would have to explain to them, this is Brookline, this is Norfolk County. That side of the street is Suffolk County.
Speaker 2: So now we're all suffering.
Speaker 3: Well, to your point, it varies by different das in different counties, not just different states.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when Gucci says to me, hey, it's not Boat's but a pleasure doing business with you. But we're stepping out of Bloomingdale's now because we're losing more than we're selling. And one of my best girlfriends leaves Bloomingdale's after twenty something years and says, I'm not looking at another gun. I'm not looking at another gun in here where they tell me to turn my back while they take thousands of dollars worth of clothing and left. And by the way, her husband happens to be a sogyant in Newton. Right that something happened in Newton didn't have their backs either, Right, they're still on they're still onto their investigation. Right, I did nothing wrong, nothing wrong, right, Okay, but it is what it is. So I just see, this is what I want. Is it so bad for me to want law and order? Is this so bad that I want to make sure and I call nine to one one the cops are coming, whether I'm having a heart attack, whether my houseband is having a stroke, whether we're being broken into? Is that so much? I think most people want that?
Speaker 3: So that comes back to staffing, right, So most police departments are struggling to recruit people to do the job.
Speaker 2: No, that's just civil service in Brookline that you have to live here for one year to become a Brookline police officer, which I think somebody should go in there and change that immediately under an emergency that we need fourteen Look, but.
Speaker 3: It's not unique to Brookline though, it's not unique to civil service communities. Everybody is struggling for first for police officers.
Speaker 2: Okay, but no matter what, stay but when you put a year delay that you have to live in Brookline, and I'm using Brookline as example, right, because you guys work for Brookline, I live in Brookline. That law is going to go right, and the whole that thought we're going to go to break. It's always sticking that stupid thing in my face. I'm send me stumbling and listening to his nails on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Temp sponsored by new Brook Realty Group, Boston Wood Smaller Insurance, World Auto Body and Tosca Drive Auto.
Speaker 2: Body and welcome back to Tefess Nails. I'm sitting stump on w Busy News Radio ten thirty and I'm here with saman My daughter said not do them too much talking and go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Robber sorry O Brookline PD.
Speaker 5: That be Superintendent Paul Campbell, Brookline.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we're just talking about uh civil service and how you have to reside in the town for a year before you can get residency preference.
Speaker 2: So that was that a thing? What's that? Why is that a thing? We'll get to that in a second. That's been the ruling since Look at Brookline's being run like it's still eighteen hundred. Okay, it's twenty twenty four. We need a meer. Okay, it might have worked.
Speaker 3: Why don't you might have worked for Why don't you be merrima?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanna been mere?
Speaker 4: Why not you have a lot of opinions do.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't run the state like it's nineteen seventy nine, no play. But okay, so here's a young kid or young girl, young man, woman, whatever, how theyre going to afford to pay the rent and brook line for a year to live here to become a police officer. Tell me I'm alias.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting that you say that because when I was taking the exam back in the nineteen hundreds, there was a lot of cri There was a lot of competition for the for the police and fire job up not even job. There was a lot of competition. You were competing with, you know, five or six hundred other residents. So the only thing that residency gives you is a preference. You go to the top of the list via civil service law rules, you go to the top of the list if you have resided in the town. Now, that doesn't stop anybody from taking the exam and being put on the non residence list.
Speaker 2: I tried that with one of Chan's friends. They said to me, verbatim, he's got to live in Berkeley in order.
Speaker 3: To get residency preference. Not to get higher, you.
Speaker 2: Need police officers. So we get rid of all those laws right now, how about an emergency in junction?
Speaker 3: So, well, we don't need emergency. I'll leave this to the deputy to explain my deputy process is because he so.
Speaker 5: Right now, there is a discussion for Brookline to leave civil service, and there's let's call it an agreement and principle between management and the union to exit civil service. So I do think in this year, twenty twenty four, you'll probably see Brookline leave civil service. And the problem that you're describing is not unique to Brookline. There are a number of communities. If you were to ask ten years ago the surrounding communities, how many of them are in civil service? The answer would have been just about all of them. And now people are leaving civil service and drove because of the situation that you're describing. It does it really does hinder your ability to run an efficient and effective police department.
Speaker 3: You were asking it was the value good?
Speaker 5: You were asking what was the value of being?
Speaker 2: Why was that even created? So again, we're running Brookline like it's seventeen eighteen hundred. Okay, it's twenty twenty five, packing bags.
Speaker 3: Because you're about to get a history lesson All right, Well, I take the history lesson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, think I do think years ago there was real value in having a resonant preference. You get people police in the community who are from the community, which is great, which I think there's real value in that.
Speaker 2: Because they knew the streets, they understood the neighborhoods, they understood the people.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. And but where we've gotten away from that now and in some community like Brookline, there's.
Speaker 2: We're being very careful what we say here right now, there's.
Speaker 5: Maybe less middle class in Brookline. You know, I grew up in Brookline, Rob grew.
Speaker 2: Yeah the booklist, and everybody always thought that Brookline's rich, Newton's rich. That's balloney, Okay. We had opera, we had middle and we had projects, and I forgets that, Okay, Like we have projects in Brookline, we have the projects in Newton. I mean, like people just think because we live in this area that everybody's super rich. By the way, public housing, there is public housing, and look at there's generational wealth money here for sure. But I can tell you this as a builder of thirty six years, my clients are all hard working people, hard working people that go out there and bust their hump every day to give their families a better life. That's really the truth. And I'm one of those people that have been busting my humb out there for thirty six years.
Speaker 3: But the people being raised here, the kids that are being raised in Brookline, don't want the civil service jobs.
Speaker 2: They don't want any jobs. They want it for YouTube famous. They want to be I don't know. They want to tell us how to live our lives. They want to be my What do I get on link life coach? They want to be my life coach. I get twenty year olds that want to be my life coach? What are you going to teach me? I just gotta laugh at this next generation, a bunch of aliens as I call them. But as much as they don't want to be police officers, they don't want to be plumbers, electricians. And they chase you guys either. I mean, we're all doing.
Speaker 3: Two young kids. My son is eleven, he'll be turned eleven this year, and I'm really advocating for the trade or the trade.
Speaker 2: You know, unless the kid is an ab student. You know who your children are. And I always say this to parents, and I run the game for fourteen years. If you are a kid to be a next question, No, next question, absolutely no, No, it's funny unless things changed growing up.
Speaker 3: I mean, like you know, we need you know, you know four or five, six, seven, yea, a copy wanted to be a cop?
Speaker 2: Ninety five?
Speaker 4: Did they talk about wanting to be a copy of kids?
Speaker 3: So now I think he's more Yeah, I don't know what he wants to do now, but.
Speaker 2: You know what here, here's what it comes down to with kids today is we got to go back to teaching our kids' values, try to teach them financial literacy, get them off these devices, and put them back to work. I'm sure everybody in this room, including my daughter, that's had a privileged life, had a job by sixteen, okay, working up bloom me deals, whether she liked to. She got a car. That car's gotta run on gas, right, Sam, go find a way to pay for the guests.
Speaker 3: But that's that's not the that's not the trend. It's you know, it's it's I'm gonna I think I think, you know, especially Generation X, they don't.
Speaker 2: Why keep changing these generations? What do you but, Sammy, what are you called? Generation?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Actually now, well I'm a baby boomer. So what do you I have to I'd have to google it x. Well, anything under me, anything under the age of forty is all crazy. And I think thirty five thirty six the tipping point, and anything out of thirty five is absolutely aliens.
Speaker 3: We're doing the disservice by not forcing them into oh.
Speaker 2: Playing the parents.
Speaker 3: You got to go get a job.
Speaker 2: So what did we do different? I asked myself all the time, and I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: When my antients had nothing, so you know, we had zero, We had nothing, Okay, So like we didn't have a choice. If you wanted back to school clothes, you had to go get it. At fourteen, you had to get.
Speaker 2: A job shining shoes, delivery papers.
Speaker 3: But every time of Morgan's pharmacy, of course I do. That's why I work, Okay for sure.
Speaker 2: So here here's the problem though, This is what I think the problem is.
Speaker 3: We know too much.
Speaker 2: It came out of our generations, things that we're hitting under the copy right. I call my parents and my grandparents' generation the hitting generation. But unfortunately ancestries bringing all everything out, like, oh, I have a first constant over here, didn't know that existed? Oh I got a brother over here or a sister right, Okay, didn't know that existed. They like to hit in generation. I think my generation found out more about coaches and teachers and molestation and and things going on in people's homes that shouldn't have been going on. And I think that's when we got nervous and said, I want to protect my kids from any of that craziness. Right right, bubble wraps, I was a helicopter. I'll be the first admit that I am too, and you are too. I mean, I can't avoid it like that because you see the real world every day exactly right, But and so do not I because see the difference is I work in construction and don't get realer than that. You see the drug problems, You see the alcohol problems out here, You see me holding my guys up straight, you know what I mean. It's got better over time because they're getting older, but the epidemic and drugs and alcohol and construction have always been huge. So I've had to deal with this my whole thirty six year career. Right, I don't get to go to work with guys that graduate Brown, Mit and Harvard. Let's just call it the wait is Are they all great guys? Absolutely, I'd rather work with those guys all day long than the elite, because these guys keep it real, which keeps all of our lives real.
Speaker 3: And they're good guys.
Speaker 2: Just because a guy runs into a drug problem, when alcohol problem doesn't make them a bad or her a bad person.
Speaker 3: You just go get help.
Speaker 2: It's a disease like gaming else. But look, I've never seen what I've seen the last couple of years. Here every job of mine's getting hit. I never had jobs getting hit. We've probably lost in the last two three years, well over a quarter of a million dollars worth of products. And then the police say, why don't you call me, Cindy? What are you going to do? Why am I going to waste your time on a call because we got robbed. I'm not putting the insurance claimant. We don't because of my insurance will go up and I got to eat it every time. And what am I gonna do bother you guys?
Speaker 3: Well, I have more important.
Speaker 2: Things to do in the act.
Speaker 3: In the act, call I like those in the act.
Speaker 2: In the act. I got a guys in the field. You think they're gonna get away with anything. You won't even have to show up all you show up, right, I got a hundred guys on the job site, so like, go ahead and get them down like that's easy butt. But they don't do it when we're there. They do it when we're not there, And then we come back to work the next day and we see that's there, so we see the products missing. Now we're doing everything we cannot power. Do you think there's any what what's the best device that you can give to me? Just pretend me for community leaders? Get out there and vote. What do we have to do as a community to make our towns and cities better? You got twenty three seconds stance of that.
Speaker 3: Hold people accountable? So everybody, so the criminal everyone complains about the criminal justice system. Everybody has to do there job.
Speaker 2: What can we do to make your lives easier?
Speaker 3: Call us?
Speaker 2: No, we can't call you. We have to call somebody that's above you. Who do we get in touch with?
Speaker 3: Hold people are accountable. That's that's the only thing I do. Everybody has to do their job. The courts have to do their job. The the you know, you know, with their clothes and jails because they don't have enough prisoners. I mean, police have to do their job.
Speaker 2: We have to look's I got to go to break again. I'm City Stumpy. Listen Toughest Nails on WBZ news Radio ten Theory. It'll be right back and welcome back to its Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten Theory. And I'm Sydney Stumpo and I'm here with Samantha. You're saying a lot tonight.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Robin the sorry about gryd Pete, Paul Campbell, w superintendent and I can't thank you guys enough for coming in.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Let's let's end. That's What's something fun?
Speaker 3: Well, one event we have coming up in August, it's August sixth. It's called National Night Out. This is where the police in the community come together for a good time. We have food there, we have rides for kids. One of the things we're asking for local commercial businesses or anybody that wants to donate, is we to sponsor a ride. We have several kiddy rides that are going to come from American Amusements and we want them to.
Speaker 2: So we need the local businesses, yes maybe locals, just to help support this and they.
Speaker 3: Can reach out to me police events at Forma Duco and.
Speaker 2: That's it that easy.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 2: So see Stumbo Development can make a donation, right, that would be great. Hit me up. Okay, I'm Cindy Stumble you listen Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty. Have a great, safe weekend, and we'll see you next week.