Speaker 1: Podsave America is brought to you by simply Safe. Nothing says summer like cookouts, vacations, and hoping your neighbor remembers to bring in your package while you're away. Or you could skip the warrial together with simply Safe because their outdoor protection can actually help stop porch pirates before they strike. Don't like those porch pirates. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs, then ships fast directly to your door. The app guide had set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. John Lovett installed simply Safe all by himself, and we're all very proud of him. We've been We've been saying this praises on us for many years now, but he likes it, and he can operate it from your phone and keeps you nice and safe. Great technology, so check it out right now, Our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for a professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash cricket. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash cricket. There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm John Favor, I'm John Lovett, and Tommy newtur On today's show. We got major Supreme Court decisions on mail in voting and Donald Trump's right to fire agency heads he doesn't like. It's decision time for Trump on the bipartisan Housingville, which he has threatened to hold hostage until the Save Act passes. And Democratic socialists are feeling the momentum after last week's primaries in New York with big primaries in Colorado today. Then Heather Williams, president of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, stopped by to talk about breaking Republican trifectas and building democratic ones in a bunch of key states and how critical it is that you get involved in the down ballot races happening wherever you are. But let's begin where Trump kicked off his week, posting this at six thirty am on Monday. Do you think people appreciate what a fantastic job we did in building and operating the Great American State Fair at the National Mall, packed with happy people and everybody loving it. Question Mark, ask yourself this simple question, and now we're in all caps. Do you think that Obama he wants to say Obama, but he spells it Obuma, so it's like o boomah. It just looks like a type of a bummer, right, of course, but he's shorthanding them. Yeah, he's not quite getting there. Do you think that Obama or sleepy Joe Biden could have done it? The answer is a no. President is of course, referring to the sixteen day exposition on the National Mall that will run through July tenth to celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, an event run by Freedom two fifty, which is the entity Trump created to compete with America two fifty, which is the bipartisan entity created by Ungress years ago. Why sixteen days, that's such a weird number of days. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. It's a good question question I don't have answer. Two weeks with an extra weekend okay, started last week. Now week's really work.
Speaker 2: Right, but it'll be a set you oh, Saturday to a Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two weeks, two weeks. This is the one thing he got right, I guess. Anyway, the perception that Trump turned America's two hundred and fiftieth into a partisan event caused all the state fair musical acts to drop out, with the exception of Floorida and Vanilla Ice. Ten states have also decided not to participate, and the opening weekend was plagued by extreme heat, rain, power outages, and sparse crowds. You never know this if you listen to Maga World, where everyone thinks it's going great. Happy early Birthday, America.
Speaker 3: We're celebrating already.
Speaker 1: Hit the great.
Speaker 3: American state Fair.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We've got thousands of people celebrating this birthday with us.
Speaker 4: You ever, in your wildest dreams think you may be doing your Sunday show from a state fair on the National Mall.
Speaker 3: How great is that?
Speaker 1: It's really it's really something and the weather not the best today, but people are still coming out to help me out. I want to be a part of this. Well, it's a great day for Larry good afternoon. Perhaps now the closing bell is here. We're gonna get more people. That work is done. You mentioned the latest with the ron.
Speaker 5: If you look behind us, you see, okay, there are a couple of hundred people back there. But the truth is when you make your way over here and you're in this lot, you're in a wash of people.
Speaker 3: There's tons of people here.
Speaker 2: It's a huge space and it's just gonna get more and more.
Speaker 1: God as the week goes on.
Speaker 6: Take yo, I think we have to give a big rod of applause for our military band in singers, way better than those lip tards that canceled on us.
Speaker 1: It's Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy talking about the lib tards. What do you guys think? Happy to fiftieth? Thanks? How are you feeling about the festivities? Trump has organized the Freedom two fifty America two fifty split in the ten states that aren't participating.
Speaker 7: I thought the performance by Manny was really good. Do you guys catch that one? He didn't see Maga Manny the live streamer who jerked off in front of the acrobat.
Speaker 1: True forgot about the guy, forgot about the guy in the Uncle Sam CAUs.
Speaker 7: Fifty four year old right wing Maga streamer did not think fifty four was the number arrested. Younger arrested by park police for masturbating in front of an acrobat troop called the Cirque Mechanics.
Speaker 1: Can you blame him?
Speaker 7: According to The Independent, fairly rearely, he was vaping recording and then had a hand through the pocket of the overall.
Speaker 1: So he's holding the face and.
Speaker 7: I was going to say how many and then another witness said he came back for round two later, and that's.
Speaker 1: What I think. The park police got him. Not bad for fifty four. That's a good point. Yeah, I love that it did look it did look sparse. But now that the closing bells.
Speaker 2: The traders leaving the floor of the Stock Exchange where in DC gonna run up to go check out the latest quilting, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Also, there's just something about.
Speaker 2: All the like the thing that I was thinking about is watching this all over the weekend, is just how much like the whole Maga world is online. It just exists online. It's a bunch of people complaining online, the caricatures of the cities that are going to hell. Online, just people talking to each other about how America's going down the tubes on the Internet and on Fox News.
Speaker 1: But like Larry.
Speaker 2: Kudlow's like, oh, it looks like when's last time Larry Cudlow at a fucking corn dog? When's the less time he walked around to state fair? Like none of these people look like they're at home in a kind of outdoor event with their fellows sit.
Speaker 7: It's so funny that Fox News State TV decided to go all in on this event, and the net effect is they have to do like sweltering live shots outdoor in front of no one.
Speaker 1: It's just green fields and then Manny jerking off. I also loved that the comment like did you ever think you'd be doing your live shot from a state fair? Hypothetical? It's but that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like these are just people that seem like kind of unfamiliar with the country on some level.
Speaker 1: Like state fairs are great. They're all over the country.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different most states, it turns out, yeah and there and you can go and there's like actually the news were often broadcast from them and tell you about the latest deep fried foods you can get, Like that was the vibe you could have had if this weren't taken over by Trump like he took. He took something that was bipartisan and a decade in the making. You can actually go online and read what the original plan is. I don't think it would have you know, what is going to change the country or anything, but it would have been nice. There was like a lot of events happening all across the country. There would have been kind of like a kind of a national event for craft makers. It would have been big concerts by famous people. There's a lot of money set aside. Trump took that money, gave it to Freedom two fifty, turned it into a partisan boondoggle, and now nobody's showing.
Speaker 1: Up and for even though it's a five oh one c three. Apparently donors who donate a million dollars in more can secure an invitation to a private reception hosted by Trump himself. There's not a lot of transparency on the finances of Freedom two fifty.
Speaker 2: And even though they've taken most of the money that was supposed to go to America from tax.
Speaker 1: Bearers, and we do have some corporate sponsors as well. Of course, your Northrop Grummans, your United Health Groups or SpaceX's you.
Speaker 7: See the little army or robot dog kind of marching around like filming people and performing.
Speaker 1: It's very dystopian there.
Speaker 2: I was the ferris wheel, I was. I read Devil in the White City. Recently, I'm an Eric Larsen kick, which is about the World's Fair in Chicago in eighteen ninety three, I believe, And that was when the first farrest wheel was built. And it was this marvel because they were trying to rival the Eiffel Tower, and all the Europeans are like, oh, those Americans will never be able to build a thing. And then we built a ferris wheel that was basically a steel tower that moved. It was amazing, like America is building an Eiffel Tower, basically the size of the Eiffel Tower. And then you would get on it and you would rotate. Freak people to fuck out, and people like tried to jump off it. They were freaking out because like we were saying, you know what, each shiit, Europe, We're gonna make something awesome. We're gonna build skyscraper. Is gonna be a cool country, and wait till you see what America is gonna do. And now here we are one hundred and thirty years later, we got this jag Off, you know, doing his version of a great American state fair quite literally jah and with jags with jagofs despair and you see.
Speaker 7: The ferris wheel was broken for hours because of generator issues and also there were power outages that spoiled like all the food and melted all the ice cream. On the first day and last minute, Vanilla Ice canceled because it did inclement weather, even though he had previously said rain or shine he was going to be there.
Speaker 1: Did you read the profile camp That doesn't sound like the Vanilla Ice ig know? Did you read his profile in The Atlantic? Fascinating?
Speaker 7: He claims to have performed for the Taliban. Just one little tidbit for to.
Speaker 1: What your beak go read the rest here When he said that I believe he said that this is a government where he feels at home. Then yeah, that it's kind of rulers.
Speaker 2: That he hadn't taken under pressure. Wasn't that he had claimed, like the Vanilla Ice thing, that he hadn't taken under pressure.
Speaker 7: There was a great clip where he's like, no, that one's doom, doom, doom to do doom, doom, and mine is doom doom, doom to do doom doom. That's the same thing, the same thing. It's also funny some of them mailed it in, like Connecticut Maine, I think shared a space, put up four chairs, and then Maine just had lobster facts on the wall and they're like booth and a tote cop.
Speaker 1: State bird.
Speaker 2: I believe, Yeah, I guess that.
Speaker 7: I mean the North Carolina booth had a Confederate flag up, so yeah, you're not far from.
Speaker 2: Him because that was because that was take because North Carolina didn't do it, so like a private somehow someone others did it, even though, by the way, that was never any That flag was not the North Carolina flag, not associated with the state of North Carolina, so they just wanted to throw one up there.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of a bummer, like he said, it's it's it's not the biggest deal of anything. But the two hundred and fifty anniversary could have been a moment where, you know, a president decided to try to at least try to bring the country together, or didn't try to bring the country together, but at least off entertainment that anyone could welcome. Yeah, anyone could feel welcome, you know, participating. He could have just done nothing.
Speaker 2: He could have just let the group America two fifty that existed, had bipartisan membership, had a lot of his allies on it.
Speaker 1: Come out to make a little speech on the fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been offensive to us. He would have come out there and said something terrible, but whatever. He could have just let it happen, but instead he got his his his mits on it.
Speaker 1: I ruined it, I will say NBC. And then the New Republic went out and interviewed a bunch of people, and you know, even people that didn't like Trump were like, it's fine, this is great, this is cool, and I do like the one attendee named Scott said to the New Republic, I like this. I don't really take Trump into consideration. He's going to be gone in three years, dead in ten. He's not going to take away my joy of this event. He's the president, but he's not God, even though he thinks he is. I wasn't going to come to this, but then I thought, you know, I'm not going to let him take it away. I like, good for you, Scott, I like that. That is the attitude I want to hear from all the libste don't let him take it away.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well yeah, you know, to take and away. The fireworks show in DC doesn't start until eleven pm Eastern.
Speaker 2: Because he has to give a long speech, right, that's what they're.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's weather too, that's so late. It's so late for fireworks. Weep, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: No, the sun goes down. You look up when sunset is whenever that is, I want five minutes later.
Speaker 1: Explosions in the stock kids when I was a kid used to yeah, we used to. Our town was like nine pm. Yeah, nine, but that's eleven is a wild starts masters as a late sunset. That makes a lot of sense. Oh there we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry, I'm getting on my my my high horse.
Speaker 1: So one DC event that will undoubtedly be packed crooked kind of November, and it's fine to crank went out in front of the main stage. There, Yes, it's fact because then Tommy feel like, you know, yeah, he's got you back. Yeah, you know what I mean, He's not the only one doing letter rip. You can still get tickets for that, and you can get discounted tickets if you become a cricket subscriber. You also get ad free episodes of all your favorite Cricket Pods, subscriber only shows, substack newsletters, and much more. Or sign up at crioka dot com slash friends. So with his fair getting rained out on Sunday, Trump spent the morning moticating around the Capitol. He's busy rebuilding as a monument to himself. He toured the East Potomac golf Links, and we'll start renovations on that federally owned public course September first, despite a federal judge threatening quote serious consequences if he moves ahead without approval, which he seems to be doing. The President is also planning to redesign Lafayette Park, which is the one right in front of the White House, so that it contains exactly forty seven maple trees in honor of Trump. That's according to the Washington Post. If you're in town visiting and hop on over to the Washington Passport Agency, you might be able to pick up a limited edition US passport featuring a photo of Trump at the Resolute Desk in front of the Declaration of Independence, which Trump described as saying, quote, welcome, but be good. Even though those words don't actually appear on the passport or make any sense. Yes, that's not what passports are for. I did when I saw this.
Speaker 2: He because he said this passport says this, and a lot of people are like, but that's not what passports are for. You're a citizen. It's not a welcoming document. You can only get it here.
Speaker 1: It's to leave. It's not a green car. Right to leave, they come back. I think he's a little confused.
Speaker 2: But I think he was describing his own portrait in a way. I think he was his way of saying, because my angry face here saying welcome, but be good. Well, because we could take your pap he was, it's a citizenship thing. We could take your citizenship.
Speaker 1: Dick anyway, interpretation limited edition Act now while supplies last Closer to home, The Atlantic's Michael Cher found out that the new White House colonnade walkway made of quote, polished African granite carved in Italy. The Trump said he paid for himself, was actually paid for by US about six hundred and ninety thousand dollars charged to the taxpayers. I didn't even know that had happened. I didn't either replaced there's apparently another couple hundred thousand dollars spent on the wall next to the colonnade, because remember he put up the pictures, all the pictures, and you had to like do something to the wall. I don't know why it cost that much money, but to do something to the wall in order to put up all those pictures, and so that costs money as well. Have you guys said thank you yet? Have you even said thank you?
Speaker 2: Just a math scores in the schools are continuing to slide. It's kind of flag some problems that are getting worse. Well, he's been president.
Speaker 1: I just I think that the.
Speaker 7: Lafayette Park forty seven tree tribute to mand is actually quite instructive because for those who've never been to Washington, DC or gone to Lafayette Park, it is nothing. I can't I can't overstate how underwhelming and shitty of a little park it is. I've been through it a thousand times. I'm sure you guys have too, because like you get off the bus or you get off the metro, you walk a block and you walk through it to get to the White House, and.
Speaker 1: It's like usually there's just a lot of squirrels.
Speaker 7: And like a couple crazy people, and then that one protest that's been there for like thirty years, the anti war protest. But the fact that like he needs that to be a tribute to himself means that like, no narcissistic stone will go unturned by this man.
Speaker 1: It's also no one knows if he wants to add trees or subtract trees, because no one knows how many trees there are in lafay At Park because who would count such a thing. It's just a park with a bunch of trees. And now we're going to go figure out whether we have to add more trees or maple. That's his favorite. Oh yeah, it's got to go with his favorite. Everything's everything's about him, his favorite trees, his favorite, his picture everywhere.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, though, you know, at this point they are great. I want him in as many fucking tree meetings and arc meetings and pool meetings as possible. He is not busy enough if he wants to plant a couple of trees, We're just three chop trees away from being the Obama Lafay Park tribute. So whatever, have at it, park, plant your fucking trees. Fucking asshole, but the absurd you imagine. Could you imagine if if in the last year of his administration, Joe Biden was wandering around the various grounds talking about the renovations he was going to be doing, what kind of reaction you would be hearing right now from from from the right of you've been.
Speaker 1: Hearing it from us. You'll be here from us. Yeah, oh boy, all right, plant away, buddy, plant away, yea. Enjoy those trees. Let's get to some more consequential news. The Supreme Court handed down a few big decisions on Monday as it closes out its term. The Court declined to throw out the twenty twenty three jury verdict finding Trump liable for sexually abusing and defaming Egene Carroll, meaning he has to pay her that five million dollars in a six' three ruling where three conservatives joined the. Liberals The court also held The Fourth amendment covers your cell phone location history even when you've agreed that a third party Like google Or apple can record, it meaning police now need a specific warrant to get, it rather than a so called geofence warrant that sweeps up the movements of every phone in a particular, Area so that seems. Good both of those seem, good, Right we have some other ones to get, through but we'd start With Egene carroll and the and the. Geofencing, yeah did you Have vinzy? One is just.
Speaker 2: Interesting it's also interesting that it's like it's a non ideological it has a kind of a ideologically mixed, ruling and part BECAUSE i do think it's like a novel. Question and if we are going to have kind of allowing these companies to track us, digitally including in ways that in a previous era would have been only private, information then it's still being Like google has already changed their policy so your location data is stored on your. Phone they did that to avoid this. Issue but if my phone knows WHERE i am at all, TIMES i view that information as both like my private information and useful to. Me whether or not it is stored directly on my phone or stored at a, server it remains my private information in the same way that IF i had written it all down and put it in my safe deposit, box it had remain private. Information AND i think the more that when they're thinking about how to translate our principles into a digital, world the, more they're respecting how we actually use things and how what privacy really, means not sort of the technical definition that's sort of blown up by how interconnected and cloud based so much of our lives.
Speaker 1: Are the. Better, yeah it's definitely it's a limited but it's. Good it's a win and a good day for.
Speaker 7: PRIVACY i, mean like the government was trying to argue that like just demanding to the little tiny taste of your location, history uh for a discreete period of, time was not a, search which is just. Nonsense AND i think the court saw through that because you can learn a ton from everyone's location.
Speaker 1: History soda Moy or laid that.
Speaker 7: OUT i think she talked about how you can uh see that someone went to the, psychiatrist the plastic, search and the abortion, clinic THE aids treatment, center of the strip. Club she goes on and on and, on and Then kagan argued went.
Speaker 1: To a concert to jack? Up were you at The Great american geofens of that?
Speaker 7: Place and Then kagan argued that tracking location data isn't really. Optional it's like the price we all pay to use a cell. Phone so it was nice to see them have a little techno fluency and understand how this stuff actually.
Speaker 1: Works, Gorsic, Cavanaugh roberts sided with the. Liberals, interesting very interesting. Group, corsic gorsicch the other. End we'll get to the other.
Speaker 2: Ones but the courses is always is an Interesting he's an interesting.
Speaker 1: One oni tribal rights in, Particular trump said that he would fight back on The Egen carol thing is powerfully and. Strongly it's, like, no you. Won't he already transferred five point five million dollars to a court controlled account back in twenty twenty. Three so she's getting. Paid that's. Happened that's the end of the road For trump on that. ONE i can't believe that's the.
Speaker 2: LIKE i, Know i'm glad she's getting her cash, money but, man there were so many avenues For trump to face some kind of. Accountability and him losing five million While i'm glad goes To Egene carroll is not high on the list of ways in which he could have faced.
Speaker 1: Consequences but there's still an eighty three million dollar verdict that he's appealing as. Well that's one. Deal On kasaks sign Right Positive america is brought to you By.
Speaker 7: ZBIOTICS i gotta tell you guys about a game teaching PRODUCT i.
Speaker 1: Use before any night with. Drinks it's called pre alcohol.
Speaker 7: Zbiotics pre alcohol probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered. Probiotic it was invented BY PhD scientists to tackle rough morning sector.
Speaker 1: Drinking here's how it.
Speaker 7: Works when you, drink alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut to build up a vis buy, product not dehydration that's to blame for rough days after. Drinking pre alcohol produces an enzyme that break this buy product. Down just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the. Night drink responsibly and you'll feel your best. TOMORROW i cannot recommend the z biotics. ENOUGH i will not have a drink without. IT i think it is just incredibly, effective especially if you're going out for, dinner you have one extra, drink you're doing a work thing something on a. Weeknight you need to feel your best the next. Day really saved us In. Chicago you save this In chicago lots of work. TRIPS i cannot recommend it. Enough just give it a, Shot try it one. Time go to z biotics dot com slash crooked to learn more and get fifteen percent off your first order when you use crooked to check. Out Z biotics is back with one hundred percent money back, guarantee so if you're unsatisfied for any, reason they'll refund your, money no questions Ask go to zbiotics dot, com slash crooked and use the code crooked to check out for fifteen percent Off.
Speaker 1: Podzave america is brought to you By. HYMNS ed is more common than guys talk about the good. News getting real treatment is, simple and THROUGH hymns it's one hund percent. ONLINE hymns connects you with licensed healthcare providers, online giving you simple access to LEGITIMATE ed treatment options from the privacy of your. Home no awkward, appointments no pharmacy. Lines just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for. You if, prescribe your treatment ships directly to your door that includes sildentifhil also known as generic for, viagra available THROUGH hymns at up to ninety five percent less than the brand name, version and if that option isn't right for, you there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your. Body to get streamlined online access to, personalized affordable care FOR ed and, more visit hymns dot com slash. Criokeet that's hims dot com slash. Cricket hymns dot com slash cricket not available in all fifty. States prescription. Required see website for, details restrictions and important safety. Information sildentiphil is the generic version of. Viagra viagra is a registered trademark Of Vtrice SPECIALTY. Llc hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed By. Vatrice there were also two big decisions on the president's ability to fire people at independent federal. Agencies the results were. Split in a six to three, decision the conservative majority reversed the court's long standing precedent and said That trump can fire people LIKE Fdc Commissioner Rebecca, slaughter who brought the case without any specific. Reason but in a five to four, decision the court decided That Fed Governor Lisa, cook Whom trump And Bill pulti have accused of mortgage, fraud can stay on the job while litigation. Continues in a post on Truth Social trump said The slaughter ruling quote greatly increases presidential power at a time when it is most. Needed he is right about the first. Part how do you guys square what the court said about The cook firing versus what it's saying about all the.
Speaker 7: Others, well, so what the court says is THE ftc is an entity that exercises executive. Power THE fed is different because it's supposed to be a non political entity that is insulated from presidential. Pressure and they argue that THE fed has to be independent because even the appearance of political pressure could destroy the faith in THE us. Economy, NOW i think THE ftc case is very. Bad they throughout ninety one years of precedent and basically THE ftc the implications go well beyond THE. Ftc The president can now fire leaders at will from THE, sec The Consumer Product Safety, commission The Equal Employment Opportunity, commission The National Labor Relations.
Speaker 1: Board the list goes on basically everywhere about THE.
Speaker 7: Fed everywhere with THE, fed and he can sort of paralyze those entities by making them not have enough.
Speaker 1: Members they don't have a, quorum so they can't even. Meet so it's quite.
Speaker 7: Bad THE fed is different because monetary policy has to be free from political manipulation and perceived. Meddling but even in this, case like ominously For, cook the court said That trump could try to fire her, again they just. Didn't they, said he didn't go through the, process, right he didn't tell her why she was being fired and given her a chance to robut the.
Speaker 1: Charges and, yes they said. THAT i Think roberts sort of cordoning off THE fed as a special case means that the ruling was, narrow and that, Said, okay they got the pros 's. Wrong and so while it's still, litigating she can be on the, job but they still have to prove that she did something. Wrong she can be fired for cause exactly.
Speaker 7: Right under The Federal Reserve, act The president can only move A fed governor if they are fired for.
Speaker 1: Cause and he didn't meet that standard by presenting any. Evidence, Right so if she doesn't get if her case goes, away then like then there's no, cause, Right but it won't go.
Speaker 2: Away it's, ironically it just puts more pressure on the administration to politically Prosecute Lisa cook until they can claim that she can be fired for.
Speaker 1: Cause that what will? Happen they leave the door open to.
Speaker 2: Kind of evaluating whether or not they've met some threshold for, cause whatever that would. Mean it's interesting kind of reading that going back and forth between the ruling and the, descent because they're all so like mad at each, other WHICH i think is is very.
Speaker 1: Funny but then you Read. Gorsa she wrote this like really interesting concurring opinion about.
Speaker 2: It AND i see a lot of people today Saying democrats, Win, oh we'll just put our people in charge and now will have that. Power but as like The Sodama rare notes in the, Dissent congress creates THE. Ftc the court says that these people can be insulated from being fired by the, president and then they give all these independent, agencies not just executive, authority, right but legislative authority and judicial. Authority So congress creates these independent, agencies and they're kind of quasi, legislative. Right they can write rules and regulate and do things That congress could. Do they also do things an executive could. Do and the majority decided that given that kind of mix between the, authorities they're going to give all the power to the. President, Right so the president is now taking all the legislative authorities that were granted all the judicial authorities that were granted and, oh one Of democrat wins will have the same. Authority but Then gorses comes back and says, no because we're going to look at this again in the.
Speaker 1: Future so in deciding.
Speaker 2: Whether or not to allow there to be an independent agency or, not the court said, no we'd rather make the president like a supreme authority over all these legislative. Functions but if A democrat becomes, president we'll just come back and, say, no one has this, authority will strike.
Speaker 1: A bunch of this. Down that's that's not what the majority. Opinions, no, no but that's What gorsic is saying happens, next and there is going To but that is what's. Happen it is Because robert's, opinion roberts argument is it's all unitary executive, theory and they have been. So roberts, says the president may remove his. Subordinates it will because subordinates who exercise the president's power must be accountable to him and he to the. People and that's where it.
Speaker 2: Ends but this is the problem because it's not just the president's, power it's congressional. Power the reason there was a balance and the reason it makes, Sense AND i think this is Why sodamior And kagan are so pissed about it is you're not just giving the president his executive. Authority you are stealing power From congress Because congress delegated some of ITS.
Speaker 1: I agree with that for. Sure i'm just SAYING i Think roberts And, kavanaugh the unitary executive, people, yes would be very comfortable being consistent with The democratic president on this kind of, stuff which they have shown.
Speaker 2: Before except this wouldn't be about where the authority should. Rest this would be about saying that NOW i think it's.
Speaker 1: Bad no matter. WHAT i don't think democratic presidents Or republican president should have.
Speaker 2: See but you come back in and then you, say, actually you can't do this because this whole agency shouldn't have been allowed to do this in the first. Place so now we're Not we're no longer going to say you still are in charge of this whole, agency but we are now going to restrict with this agency allow the.
Speaker 7: CHEVRON i Think Leah lilt been in a conversation With dan said she was concerned about. It kind hypothetically you're talking about there love. IT i, mean just like one thing that worries. Me so you read this comment From Bill, poulty who, tweeted As i've repeatedly, SAID i Believe Lisa cook will be indicted for mortgage. Fraud no, shit this is a case he cooked up as THE Us director Of Federal. Housing he is now tweeting this attack on her from his new job as the Temporary director Of National.
Speaker 1: Intelligence that is. CHILLING i, mean, yeah the whole. THING i, mean it's it's nice For Lisa cook AND i, actually you know what we're talking about is who knows what will? Happen right if this comes up. AGAIN i think that the upshot of this whole thing is there are no more independent ages except for THE, fed the one, potentially and so that means That, Justice, Department, intelligence all the rest of, them everything That trump has done over the last four years now gets to happen, Again like this is, This this is just this is what The Supreme as long as This Supreme court majority is in, place they believe that that no one has to be independent except for THE.
Speaker 2: Fed, well and the distinction they're breaking down right like it was always the, case there were a bunch of executive agencies that The president was totally in charge Of what they're saying is that these independent agencies are no longer, independent even though those agencies were made incredibly powerful By congress in ways that assumed that the president would be so wouldn't be solely in charge of, them and so like The that to me is where the kind of, Like, yes, NOW ftc looks a lot like The department Of, justice except THE ftc can do more than what The department Of justice.
Speaker 1: Could, meanwhile in a very close five to four decision Where John robertson And Amy Cony barrett sided with The, liberals The Supreme court ruled in favor of A mississippi law allowing the state to count mail in ballots that are postmarked by election day but arrive. After the decision could preempt similar legal challenges By republicans and at least fourteen other states the continue counting ballots that arrive after election. Day trump wind about the decision and said it proves the need For Senate republicans to pass His Save, act name dropping the five holdouts on truth Social how meaningful or not do you guys think this is in the context of the Larger trump assault on voting?
Speaker 7: RIGHTS i, MEAN i think it allows like thirty states to keep their policies in place in terms of how they count mail in. Ballots so that's pretty. Important i'm sure the ongoing assault on voting rights will. CONTINUE i, mean it was a five four. Decision it Was TRUMP'S doj and THE rnc trying to strike down A mississippi law allowing ballots to be.
Speaker 1: Counted i'm glad to see they made this.
Speaker 7: Decision it just it feels just like part of a broader process of just constantly chipping. Away and maybe this chip didn't come, undone but there will be many more.
Speaker 1: Attempts. Yeah So dan AND i talked last episode about How trump's trying to get The Save act passed by refusing to sign the by Partisan housing bill until it Is On, Monday Mike johnson Sent trump The housing bill, anyway which means that it will become law in ten days Unless trump signs it sooner or vetos. It the bill passed so overwhelmingly The congress could override A trump, veto Though House republicans are now unclear if they'll have the. Votes just listen to What Florida Representative Randy fine said On monday Morning.
Speaker 3: My issue was If Elizabeth warren thinks a bill is, great then it probably.
Speaker 1: Isn't and that's sort of HOW i.
Speaker 3: Look but the enthusiasm with Which democrats had for this bill got me. Spooked AND i didn't come To washington to work With. DEMOCRATS i came To washington to beat.
Speaker 1: Them here's a message for. You uh did you read the bill before you voted for? Her probably. Not and here's What trump said On monday when asked whether he'll sign the. Bill what are your plans for the housing bill as the?
Speaker 7: PRESIDENT i don't.
Speaker 4: KNOW i think it is so unimportant by compared to, by compared to The Save American WHEN i look at that, bill it's a. Bill but WHEN i look at The save and it's the Best.
Speaker 8: Saving america to, me compared to The Save America, act just about everything is a big.
Speaker 5: Yawn.
Speaker 1: Wow he's really part of The Iran. War bart Of housing just wants to. Recollections how badly do you guys Think trump And republicans have fucked up the politics of this? Bill and what do you guys think of the final?
Speaker 7: PRODUCT i, mean the goal is to boost housing supply and. Affordability they're going to like streamline environmental reviews and encourage.
Speaker 1: Development i'm not an expert on this.
Speaker 7: Stuff it passed with eighty five votes in The senate and three hundred and fifty eight votes in The. House it's like overwhelming bipartisan. SUPPORT i will leave it to smarter people to see if it will really solve the. Job but, like politically, speaking this is a very important issue to The american, People like voters overwhelmingly think housing costs are really. Important huge majorities Want congress to do something about. It the underlying components of the, bill when you peel them out and pull, them are very popular for young people in. Particular they feel like they're never going to be able to afford a, home like sixty seventy percent of. Majorities and so to say that that's a big yawn when it could have been your like crowning legislative accomplishment on housing as opposed to The Save, act which is a thing that people are like fifty two percent think it's maybe a good idea because there's by the, way there's just not a huge issue in this country of undocumented non citizens registering to vote or whatever the hell he's talking. About so not going to. Pass it's not going to. Pass want that's what the that's the whole that's the whole, thing so.
Speaker 1: Stupid, yeah there's no leverage.
Speaker 2: Here it's fight because part of, it right is, like this is a housing bill that's about addressing the long term causes of a lack of housing stock and the rising price of. Housing there's no, like, yeah he's being clean.
Speaker 1: Fixed he does know that no one's going to feel the effects of the housing for a year for. Years, yeah and then if it's a good, build you can sell, it right you, Can, yeah you can try to buy an. Administration, yeah There Recovery act is divided into three, parts, Right, yeah you can try to say it's a good.
Speaker 2: Thing but, yeah, uh there was a there was a little the commini fight as part of this bill for a for the details are, complicated but basically to try to prevent institutional investors from sitting on houses that a lot of experts thought would have kind of a counter railing effect to what the bill was going to.
Speaker 1: Do it might actually cause housing prices to go.
Speaker 2: Up Senator Brian shott's friend of the, show was accused of me a corporate stooge for pointing this, out including by a lot of, progressives and they did manage to kind of change that rule in such a way that it's no longer going to have that effect in that one the day, too which WAS i think a good victory for the kind of mb abundance people that were arguing that he wasn't being a corporate. Stooge he was just talking about basic economics and what the impact would. Be but like this was a bipartisan. Bill Elizabeth warren hard for this. BILL a ton Of republicans voted for this. Bill it's a rare kind of policy making, victory like from another. Era and of course right on the one yard, line they were literally putting up the podium and people will speaking with. Them we were speaking at the. Podium the event was basically already tweeting out how excited they. Were, well, Yeah Caroline levitt posted about how the most, important one of the most important bills ever something to that, effect and he just rips the rug out right from under all of, them and now they are afraid to support it even though it has a veto proof majority because the deer leader says he would rather rig.
Speaker 1: ELECTIONS i haven't seen these stories, yet But i'm looking forward to the anonymous Frontline republicans and races who were like getting ads ready to tee up the housing bill as part of how they were going to tackle the issue of affordability and work with the other party to show that they're bipartisan because they're in a district that you, Know Kamala harris won or that's you Know trumpe they won by a Couple just hear what they think about.
Speaker 7: This another, RESPONSE ads like big, Yawn, yes as the, President, okay so that'll be.
Speaker 2: Fun so if he, doesn't if he refuses to sign it And congress doesn't, adjourn it'll become. Law but if they don't want to deal with, it they could Adjourn congress and let the thing. Die is that basically the gist of it's what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: In ten, days it becomes one unless he vetos. It if, okay what's the how would? He, YEAH i, DON'T i don't know the cons that's just the THAT'S i. DON'T i don't. Know All i've seen is the ten days it becomes long ten days or he vetos, it you, know listening to the whole thing, there he's gonna let it become. Law, YEAH i don't think a baby about it unless now someone could who, knows, right he changed his mind on a, dime so some something could piss him off between now and when he decided to sign. It but there he sounded, like, Fuck i'm annoyed THAT i have to do, this BUT i threw a tantrum and Now i'm just gonna let this bill become low But i'm not going to be happy about.
Speaker 7: It that's sort of WHAT i, got just cutting off his nose despite his, face someone gave him really dumb last minute advice about how to use this bill for leverage to get the same act.
Speaker 1: Pack it was probably Probably Bill poult exactly What i'm gonna. Say the mortgage, yeah because he passion sign mortgage mortgage using and Dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah and he's, also by the, way he he did promise not to sign any new legislation until The Save act was. Passed he just instantly wrote that, promise so in a, way he's actually returning to what he had always said he was going to. Do Promise, cat he's a Promise.
Speaker 1: Cat no legislation from.
Speaker 7: Me Positive america is brought to you by Common power with redistricting happening all across The. South THE gop has made it clear that Earning americans votes is the least of their, priorities and after gutting THE, vra they've doubled down on their attempts to rig the midterm. Elections Common power believes That democrats can still take back The house and The senate by focusing on three. Things one policies that benefit the working. Class two paying for those policies by taxing billionaires and. Trillionaires three expanding The democratic. Coalition their support has already driven major victories for emerging leaders In, York, texas And. Maine Now Common power is focused on the general, election working to ensure wins For democrats. Nationwide Common power is the organizing force behind training and deploying volunteers to doorknock For democrats at over fifty key races across battleground. States Votes Save america part With Common power in the twenty twenty four, election sending hundreds of volunteers to win important races across the. Country As republicans rely on rigged maps to, Win we're relying on people. Power for those who refuse to sit this moment out donate and volunteer With Common power at commonpower dot org slash crooked that's commonpower dot org Slash.
Speaker 1: Crooked pods Of america is brought to you By Magic. Spoon we Love Magic. Spoon we'll be talking about it for. Years love the, Cereal love the treats they, got like protein, bars protein snack, bars and it just tastes really. Good Magic spoon figured out how to turn treats into something you can actually feel good about. Eating the treats are crispy airy protein pack snack bars with twelve grams of, protein seven grams of, fiber zero grams of added, sugar two to three net, carbs and certified gluten, free and they genuinely feel like a, treat not a sad health. Bar they're perfect for tossing in your, bag keeping in the, car grabbing one between, meetings or just whenever you want a good. Snack flavors include, marshmallow, chocolate peanut, butter double, chocolate and. More very, nostalgic very dessert, coated but without left you up on. Sugar these hit that sweet tooth itch while actually doing something for. You and if you already Know Magic spoon for their. Cereal, yes that's still, iconic Don't you were worried that it wasn't iconic. Anymore but it's still, iconic the cereal tom. Sure yeah, Yeah AND i know that's something you were being concerned. About iconic and. Edible, also that's a thing case really. GOOD i Love Magic. SPOON i do. TOO i kind of want some of that chocolate peanut part right. NOW A Magic spoon is easy to. Find just look For Magic spoon at your local grocery. Store and they just rolled out Treats Nation why at seven to, Eleven and if you haven't tried them, yet check Out Magic spoon's New protein, pastries a high, protein low sugar take on the classic toaster pastries you grew up. With you can get five dollars off your next order including the protein pastries at a magicspoon dot com slash. Crooked that's magicspoon dot com slash crooked for five dollars. Off all, right let's talk about the debate inside The Democratic, party which is likely to keep raging this week As colorado becomes the next state to hold primaries On. Tuesday fifteen Term Congresswoman diana To get is in danger of losing to twenty nine year OLD dsa Member Milatt. Kiros Senator Michael, bennett who's running for, governor is also getting a serious challenge from the. Left republicans are having fun with all of. This trump spent much of the weekend posting about, communism While democrats offered their takes on THE dsa wins in last Week's New york. Primaries Here's Zoron mumdani, Himself Josh, shapiro And Chris.
Speaker 2: Murphy Josh, gotttheimer A democratic member Of, congress, said many of.
Speaker 1: Us, believe as DO. I if you're a, socialist you are not A.
Speaker 2: Democrat and in, fact they put out a manifesto.
Speaker 1: Today have you seen this?
Speaker 5: Thing sounds pretty socialist to. Me democratic socialism at the heart is, pragmatic because if we cannot deliver for working, people then what is this. For i'm not interested in writing a manifesto or, frankly in reading. One i'm interested in, delivering and that's exactly what we've been.
Speaker 4: Showing democratic voters In New york chose three candidates back By, zoramumdani far left and democratic socialist. Candidates what message do you take from that about where your party.
Speaker 9: Is we know those were races and individual districts in a whole other. STATE i think what is important are the people who are making a lot in the, ways who are engaging in these performative, politics have to now figure out how to deliver.
Speaker 8: Results i'm not A democratic, socialist BUT i do believe that The Democratic party has been historically way too timid in taking on corporate. Power democrats are not going to win by defending this version of, capitalism BUT i think we'll be able to offer ideas on how to dramatically reform it rather than throwing out the entire.
Speaker 1: System all, Right, Well Chris murphy doing a Little goldilocks at the end. There i've already said. Plenty so maybe you guys can kick us off with your reaction to this debate and what it all. Means you waited on, THIS i, Did, YEAH i didn't notice. That as a clip From thursday's pot.
Speaker 7: Look for what it's worth slot into The murphy. CAMP i, mean, LIKE i think my big takeaway from The New yor collections is how much voters hate the establishment and the status AND i think that is not new. Information every poll we've seen is like people really Hate. Trump they also hate The Democratic. Party things are not. Great these people are. Pissed the RESULTS i think hammer home just how angry voters are and that they are happy to trade a powerful incumbent for something new to demonstrate that. Anger does that mean that every district is going to want the furthest left Candidate No lak who's on the ballot and from The Democratic party In, iowa for, Example they're very different than The york. Races that's not surprising at. ALL i think what's exhausting about this and that you experienced is just how much everyone's talking past each, other because like a lot of people want the same thing and they're labeling it. Differently Like i'm sure there are SOME dsa members who are like classical, socialists like The marxist Lenin, estate BUT i think most people do not want. That it's certainly not What Bernie sanders. Wants he is talking about redistributing economic power through the democratic, process not a Violent bolshevik. Revolution people eaves in civil liberties and elections and change through democratic. Means and it's a world view that is a lot closer to The Labor party in THE, uk or Like nordic. Countries then you, know something radical like medicare for all of THE, nhs, Right, like these are not crazy, ideas But trump And republicans, say, oh.
Speaker 1: This is, communism, Right this is all about drumming.
Speaker 7: Up Like Cold war era. Fears and that is more politically potent than saying you want A scandinavian welfare.
Speaker 1: State BUT i think no one goes after the. Scan, now well they got all. That guess social democracy what is the?
Speaker 7: Term, yes They in a country with a two party, system this is. Inevitable you're going to have a huge range of opinions within the party FROM dsa TO. Dlc AND i think if we want to effectively fight back Against, trump we're going to have to find a way to work together and kind of bridge some of these gaps and find common cause on. Things and you know which is where the kind Of josh gottheimer kind of you're with us or against, us you're a democrat or you're a socialist. THING i think it's just reductive and stupid and not.
Speaker 1: Helpful it's. Counterproductive why are we doing?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 2: YEAH i, LOOK i know that you had sort of said your peace about, this AND i found very few responses to what you said about trying to persuade you or kind of think about what you're saying and try to respond to it in a way that was sort of treating you as you were acting in good. Faith didn't see.
Speaker 1: A lot of. That, yeah, look it is The. Internet so.
Speaker 2: Some of the most liberal districts in the country are feeling like they can have someone who is further to left and they know they're going to win In, november and they want that kind of person fighting for, them or they want to support the person That bernie And Mom donnie got behind because they really like. Them they don't have a lot of love for establishment. Figures they don't feel like establishing politics has done well for, them even when those establishing figures are to the. Left that doesn't mean That joshapiro is not one of the most popular governors in the, country or that if there was just a poll out that said who are the most popular political, figures, well They're Barack obama And Bernie. Sanders Right, like it's a complicated heterodox. Country we have the big, one big pro democracy. COALITION i think that puts responsibility on both sides of this. Divide on The Josh, Gotdheimer Jamie, Harrison James carvill. Side you can disagree with, PEOPLE i think you should be really critical of. Them you should say why you. DISAGREE i Think Josh piro actually did this. Well it's LIKE i have strong disagreements this district in another. State that that's one, district And i'll defend my. Views the people should defend their own without saying that these people have no place in our. Coalition if you are A democratic, socialist you are not A democrat like you don't get to decide. That The democratic voters in those districts went to the polls and decided the party reflects what the voters. Want the voters aren't meant to follow what the party tells. Them right defines A democrat if.
Speaker 1: You, Mom donnie had said that that in somewhere in that interview THAT i thought was, right.
Speaker 2: Right and if parts of your coalition are further than the, left then you like well have an argument with, him figure out the places where you agree and figure out an agenda. Together Joe biden wins the primary in twenty twenty and, ACTUALLY i thought did pretty extraordinary job of talking To Elizabeth warren And Bernie sanders and kind of finding a way to bring those people into his coalition to the point where they were some of the people advocating for him the.
Speaker 1: Most after he blew the.
Speaker 2: Debate so are there is a way to bring these sides of the party Together on the other, side it is not just because someone is on your team and you want to and you don't like the Mainstream democrats and you think they're two, centrists doesn't mean that people on the left don't have to answer for some of the dumbest or most heinous things that they've said in the.
Speaker 1: Past and by the way that people.
Speaker 2: Do we've talked About graham plattin people deserve a chance to explain the difference between who they were before they were in public life and who they are now now that they have a bigger platform and more. Responsibility they deserve that. Chance but also that is a. Responsibility you are part of a. Coalition speak your, mind say your, peace but also know, that like, yes Sometimes republicans are going to take, words either in context or out of context and try to paint people that you should also want to win with what you have.
Speaker 1: Said in the.
Speaker 2: Past it's just where it's it's it's collectively doing what IS i think the work of being part of one, big fractious.
Speaker 4: Team.
Speaker 1: YEAH aoc was asked about this in an interview With Jen, saki and you, know she said this without referring directly To Daria Liza, chevalier but she was, like, LOOK i think what happens is from my, experience when you actually take these jobs and you go into, office the weight of the office and the weight of the, job it does change you and, it you, know it makes you realize the responsibility you, have which is you, know WHAT i said On friday, is, look she has these views that she just articulated a week before the, election not in her old tweets a week before the. Election but maybe she'll go To congress and vote in a way that doesn't align with some of the more extreme, positions in which, case, great everyone deserves the grace to change and prove, themselves which is like WHAT i. Thought that was pretty pretty normal to. Say i'm not. Concerned and Again i'm not concerned about LIKE dsa candidates or progressive candidate's knocking off Incumbent democrats and deep blue. Districts that's what primaries. Are for primaries are. GOOD i think primaries are good no matter. What if the progressive, wins if the moderate wins their, primaries they're, fine that's what the voters. Want i'm also not concerned about WHAT dsa wins For dems in more competitive. Districts my only advice for those front Line, dems WHICH i had said On, friday is don't be afraid to distance yourself FROM dsa positions that you disagree. With if someone asks you whether you agree with abolishing prisons and police and, borders and you don't just say, that say that you don't light the, ideas say that they're, terrible say that they're not that. Great so whatever you want to, say but, like don't be afraid to say, that because then folks on the left will be mad at you that you said you didn't light that. Idea you don't have to attack the people and try to purge them from the. Party you have to attack their character or their. PERSON i don't want to do that with anyone who. Want but you can disagree with the.
Speaker 2: Ideas and by the, way LIKE i also then and and if you AND i think there's nothing WHERE i was, saying Like i'm not a socialist AND i actually, think you know. SOCIALISM i want to figure out whatever a person like A Josh godemmer would say it has been their actual point of, View Like i'm not a, SOCIALIST i don't agree with socialist ideas whatever it looks. Like but to say like and THEREFORE i cast you out as it means to protecting what you think the brand should, be as opposed to saying AND i look forward to having that disagreement approach BECAUSE i want to make my argument for how for WHY i think that it could.
Speaker 1: Be such A godheimerson then would say that, like all, right let's discuss. This let's discuss your ideas and have a debate and we can learn to work. Together maybe we can find some common ground on stuff that we do.
Speaker 7: Aground, yeah but, that, yeah it's just posturing us political. Paustion like The godheimer version of this is. FRUSTRATING i think the reaction to you that was sort of, like how dare you criticize an elected? OFFICIAL i find that's so patronizing and stupid because once you're an elected, office like everything is up for.
Speaker 1: Grabs you're going to be criticized for. Everything it just is what it.
Speaker 7: Is, also the freak, out LIKE i think the establishment should be worried about what it means for them, electorally but the people who are like the parties off the rails is going to change. Everything like we heard exactly the same shit in twenty eighteen WHEN Aoc beach Oh crowley and there was all this fear mongering about the squad and then we Nominated Joe biden to be Our democratic nominee in twenty, twenty and you know what establishment, Moderates And.
Speaker 1: Joe biden went out there and said for all that he did to bring In bernie and the, left he also, said AND i think defund the police is a horrible, Idea and he said it like he articulated it and said it, specifically and the left got really mad at. Him but it's probably good that he did that because then people know Where Joe biden stood on that issue and didn't lump him in with the. Left it's like The republicans tried, to but it didn't. Work the online reaction to you is just the sort of like the most annoying version of an online, reaction which.
Speaker 4: Is like.
Speaker 7: It must have been in bad, Faith like you, know it means you're dead to, Them you're like a, Shill you're a, corporatis you should Be luigi like, whatever like, insane.
Speaker 1: Literally, people and it's like everyone calmed the fuck. Down it's a political. Discussion some of the whole. Video put my picture nexs To Mike johnson and, said these these two are the. Same but this is like we've been saying that for. YEARS i know that's. True IT'S i do like to monitor other people's. Porn, yeah so that's your, King well many back to.
Speaker 2: Guy. Yeah and but also by like Mom, DONNIE i mean we, INTERVIEWED i talked to him Mom donni about this, directly.
Speaker 1: Right like he's so, smart he gets. It but also by the, way Like i'm, saying that's the thing's LIKE aoc so smart about.
Speaker 2: This he is defending views THAT i think maybe would be unpalatable to a lot Of. Americans but he's the mayor Of New, york so he's free to do. That he's evolving on certain, things he's trying to persuade on other. Things he did so much work to try to demonstrate To Jewish New yorkers that he could be relied on as an opponent of Anti semitism without giving an inch on some of his views that are Anti.
Speaker 1: Israel including condemning the rally That chevalier went.
Speaker 2: To, yeah and, so like, HE i do think online is so it's so, toxic, Right but like actual, organizers EVEN dsa organizers that are actually trying to do this, WORK i think probably are not as toxic as what you are. Getting though at the same, time there is there are people in the real world following people Like Scott wiener, around yelling at them on the.
Speaker 1: Streets let's talk about that. Then Scott, wiener The State center From San francisco who's running to Replace Nancy, pelosi was over the weekends surrounded and berated by a gang Of heckler's at the city's annual trans, march who told him that his long record of fighting for trans wrights was no longer sufficient because of his record On. Israel let's take a.
Speaker 6: Listen, Yes, SCOTT i want to support someone who's so positive about trans, rights but you're a piece.
Speaker 1: Of, shit my, yawsa how could you do? That how could you betray? Queers how could you propress these? People you stuff don't queer the moment you Said pisa, SET i just want to read From wiener's website what his positions are On israel And. Palestine he has publicly called The israeli government's action In gaza, genocide Joining Bernie sanders And Representative bailant as one of the only three Prominent jewish elected officials in the country to do. So he has never taken any money FROM, apak he has no on military funding For, israel and he Supports palestinian. Statehood so that was because he didn't say the word genocide Until. January And wiener said that he left the march because the hecklers quote were so physically and verbally aggressive that it was impossible for me to safely remain in the. Park what do you guys Think San francisco Being San francisco or is this a bigger? Deal, no this is assholes being.
Speaker 7: ASSHOLES i, mean, Like i'm fine with confronting collected officials heckling, them saying, whatever but like he's in a public.
Speaker 1: Space you can't tell this man to.
Speaker 7: Leave and also they're so threatening there and they sound stupid saying your sexual orientation is predicated on your past comments On gaza is just like SO i don't, Know Scott Wiener i've never talked to the guy, like but he, is by any objective, measure an extremely Progressive democrat who like he's probably a touch more moderate than the squad, say because of like housing. Issues the people filming this stuff ultimately make their movement look. Bad they Make wiener look, sympathetic WHICH i assume is the opposite of what the intention. Was AND i think they also Hand Fox news And republicans a piece of content that they'll now use forever to Make, democrats especially progressive, democrats look crazy and aggressive and so soup to. Nuts it was just a fucking, terrible terrible way to conduct politics and to.
Speaker 1: Treat another human.
Speaker 2: Being. YEAH i think if you're following around an elected official who is pro, gay pro trans at a trans supporting, event and you are yelling at them and saying you're pressing queers because of your position On, israel even though your position On israel is that you Believe israel's committed a genocide In, gaza then what you're doing is being an Anti. Semite if you're Following Scott weener around yelling at him in this, park it is because you are being Anti.
Speaker 7: Semitic talking about His zionist handlers yelling you are an Anti, semite and, yeah.
Speaker 1: That that is what.
Speaker 2: Is that is why you are yelling at this. Man whatever you tell, yourself whatever story you tell yourself online about what you believe, in why it's.
Speaker 1: Justified that.
Speaker 2: Is that is as pure Anti semitism as you can. See and uh it is, corrosive and uh it's worth calling. Out there's a lot of people LIKE, i you, know when when someone says that Brad lander In New york ten one because of Anti semitism against, it or that Anti semitism played a, ROLE i find that hard to understand because it is a Very jewish. District Brad lander Is, Jewish Dan goldman Was, Jewish but that doesn't mean That SO i don't like it when Ani semitism is used as a, Cudgel but that doesn't mean it isn't like worth calling out when you see, it and, like give me a fucking.
Speaker 1: Break we live in a world where like every single person with the phone has a megaphone now and can do this kind of. Thing SO i don't, think you, know talking about the people who Followed Scott winger and like they're not gonna listen to us or anyone, Right you're not gonna be able to ever stop people from being assholes and holding up their. PHONE i do think that it would behoove people on the, left and especially people who have been marching and organizing in protests For palastinian rights and have been right on this issue from the beginning to call that out right because this is the, like As tommy, said this is going to be the clip that they use to show That democrats are crazy and all that kind of. Stuff and also it's just it's good movement politics to be, like, yes we can hold two ideas in our head at the same, time that it is horrendous what The israeli government has, done and that the most important issue is the fact That palstinians are being slaughtered and now people In lebanon are being, killed and that is the more important. Issue but also it's still awful that this. Happened in our. Movement we don't want that kind of thing and we don't believe that like. THAT i think that's it's very possible to do, that, yes and believing it just didn't see a lot of.
Speaker 2: It now and that under that have been more outraged doesn't justify treating people terribly and, like it's not obviously these are just random. People you can't to a few random people following someone. Around the whole movement can't be.
Speaker 1: Held account for, it and it shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be, however, however it is more than just, that right because you will see, people, uh defend Following Scott. Wiener you'll see people defend a coffee shop that refuses to Serve Dan.
Speaker 1: Goldman you will.
Speaker 2: See people and you will see people describe any figure that criticizes following Around Scott wiener or criticizes what happened To Dan goldman as civility politics or kind of or or formative. Respectability, right and, look we've made fun, of you, know the red hen alert around around. Civility but but if but like, being if you want a movement to, succeed it has to be something that is appealing and and and generative and and and brings people in and tries to persuade people and treats them in good. Faith and that's obviously not what happened.
Speaker 1: Here, yeah all, right when we come, Back i'll talk to the D. Ls Heather. Williams Patzave america is brought to you by Rocket.
Speaker 7: Money i've told this on the show, before BUT i REALIZED i was paying for A british only version of some streaming service just to watch one, show and then we watched one episode and then we got rid of. It, yeah it's, terrible, Honestly Rocket money it'll save you a lot of. Money they'll track your, subscriptions they'll cancel them within the app with just a few. Taps in, Fact Rocket money has saved users over eight hundred and eighty million and canceled. Subscriptions you can categorize automatic transactions across your accounts and customize categories with tag to help shed light on your spending. Patterns get regular reports on your spending. Habits you can even receive real time alerts for large, transactions upcoming, bills, refunds and low. Balances consolidate your, checking, savings, loans and investment accounts into a single dashboard to give you a clear picture of your. Finances Rocket money is a personal finance app that helps find and cancel unwanted, subscriptions monitors you're, spending and helps lower your bills so you can grow your. Savings let Rocket money help you reach your financial goals. Faster join at rocket money dot com slash. Crooked that's rocket money dot com slash, crooked rocket money dot com slash.
Speaker 1: Cricket Hey, williams welcome to Patsave.
Speaker 10: America thank. You it's great to be.
Speaker 1: Here so you hear state legislatures of the firewall Against trump's staling an, election and it can sound to abstract to, People so maybe you can help make it concrete if we get a contested presidential results in twenty twenty, eight which chambers are the ones standing between a close call and a stolen? One where's the actual?
Speaker 10: Fight oh that's such a good.
Speaker 11: Question you, know in twenty twenty, six we have real opportunities to create new majorities in our presidential bataground. States so Thank, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona. Pennsylvania these are the places that are going to have huge impacts obviously on the twenty twenty eight presidential and these are places where we can Women alreadson twenty twenty, six which will allow us to move legislation as needed to shore up our democracy laws in those states to ensure that we've got a really strong presidential.
Speaker 1: Process, yeah AND i think people don't maybe not everyone, understands though probably more people after what happened in twenty. Twenty just the power that state legislatures have over the electoral, process over sending delegates of electors To. Congress maybe you can speak a little bit about.
Speaker 10: That, yeah that's exactly.
Speaker 11: Right the presidential certification process originates in our, states and that alongside with our voting.
Speaker 10: Laws with our election, administration all of that are state.
Speaker 11: Actions and so the more democratic majorities we, have the better our elections. Are certainly now in this, environment and the opportunities that we have to build that power this year will be sort of immediately put to, use right to again ensure that people's votes are.
Speaker 10: Counted they're counted in.
Speaker 11: Real regardless of who, wins that the election is certified and that person becomes.
Speaker 1: President so potential election theft decide for someone who's not familiar with their state legislature or what state legislatures even. Do what's a concrete example of something that a democratic run state legislature has done over the last few. Years it's, actually you, know changed people's.
Speaker 11: Lives, oh the one THAT i love to talk about is meals for kids in, schools ensuring that every kid has access to a female in. School this was something that passed In minnesota when they had the, trifecta it passed in a number of states. Sinds then it is such a great way to think about how do we nurture our kids in our, community how do we make sure that our researchers are going into our.
Speaker 10: Future and it also puts a little more money in people's.
Speaker 1: Pockets so you mentioned some of the battleground States, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Arizona what are this states Where democrats have the biggest opportunities this? Year talk about sort of the map and the target list for you.
Speaker 11: Guys, Yeah so we think about the map of opportunities in building power in the states and what that means for us is that we are looking at everything from how do we put democrats in the negotiating room by breaking The republican power of a, supermajority to how do we make sure that our democratic governors in states where their legislature Is republican have the veto pen and how do we of course create new majorities trifectas for the. Future so those places that we can create these new, majorities these new trifectas really are centered in those presidential battlegrounds, Again, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan. Arizona winning just nineteen seats in those states will build six new majorities and four new. Trifectas it's, amazing, Right and that's, seats and that's where the core fight is going to. Be BUT i think it's important to also mention right that thinking about how do we build power for the long, term how do we start building Back, democrats particularly in The, south where that break of A republican supermajority Puts democrats in that negotiating. Room it gives them a little more, Power it gives them more access to, voters to, constituents and allows them to build back for the future because we know post twenty thirty that the census, comes reapportionment, happens and we've got congressional districts that are growing in The.
Speaker 1: South, Yeah so this is SOMETHING i think about all the time, now is you have all the opportunities for twenty twenty. Six there's so many states now Where republicans have taken power in a state legislature and then jerrymandered the state legislature to such a degree that it's almost impossible For democrats to make any. Ground AND i think About wisconsin as an. EXAMPLE i remember When Ben wickler was the party chair there and he would talk about how it's just really difficult because you can elect a democratic, governor but they have gerrymandered the legislature so badly that they. Can't and ultimately what Fixed wisconsin was State Supreme court. Elections so in states Where republicans have jerrymandered the, legislature what is the strategy there and how do we make headway and some of those those those legislatures that are really.
Speaker 11: Jerrymandered Your wisconsin example is, great, Right so we are winning statewide or could win statewide In. Wisconsin we could win at the congressional, level although not as much AS i think what was possible, there, right but couldn't couldn't flip those state. Legislatures you, KNOW i think the strategy is sort of multi. Pronged, Right you can't divest in the state legislative races because we do still have legislators, there and those, legislators well maybe not in the, majority do still have some power to band together to bring some folks together on issues that matter a, lot, right particularly when there's a democratic governor their assurance that he has the veto pen has been really.
Speaker 10: Important so we can't.
Speaker 11: Walk away from the state legislatures just because it's. Hard but alongside that In wisconsin is a great example where The Supreme court mattered. Deeply you, know These Supreme court races are sometimes, partisans sometimes, nonpartisan but we need to make sure that we let voters know the values of these candidates and that we are thinking about a court strategy alongside our electoral. Strategy and THEN i think the third thing right in this varies by. State wisconsin is not a great example of, this but others are where there's ballid initiative. Opportunities that is another. Way In, michigan right we've got a people not politicians process that put a nonpartisan commission In michigan that has incredibly competitive legislative seats and, Chambers and those are sort of the three anchor ways THAT i think that you really start to build.
Speaker 1: Back one thing that surprised me IS i assumed one Reason democrats have been at a disadvantage is Because republicans outspent us on the state legislative. Level but in twenty twenty, four The democratic side outspent THE. Rslc The republican counter heart to you, guys roughly one hundred and seventy five million to forty nine, million little better than three to, one still lost The minnesota trifecta in The Michigan. House so if beyond, money what are some of the biggest challenges that the party has faced at the state?
Speaker 11: Level the attention, battle, right these races are you, know folks know these candidates. Less they're often first time, candidates, Right they're running for the first. Time their NAME id is not, great they don't have a record right to run, on and that attention fight is really. Important AND i think the thing when you couple the attention with the money and you think about these battleground, states we have competitive races up the whole.
Speaker 10: Ballot so when you.
Speaker 11: Think about a low NAME id candidate that's running for state legislature but has a great story to, tell competing for people's timed and brain space in the election season is really. Hard SO i, think you, know as much as we can run as, tickets as much as we can support in coordinated campaigns and other statewide, efforts what is happening at our local.
Speaker 10: Races it's really.
Speaker 1: Important that's also going to be an issue of sort of the hollowing out of local news and the disapparancy of local, news because if you're reading about politics, now you're reading about national, politics and if you're reading about national, politics you're reading about presidential, level maybe congressional, level but probably not much about your state.
Speaker 10: State that is exactly.
Speaker 1: RIGHT i imagine that in that, situation the ground game field probably has to be even more critical than even sort of the media.
Speaker 11: Strategy, yes the direct voter contact by the candidates is the most important thing that these races. Do these, candidates you, know these districts are small enough in most cases where the candidate can knock the door of every voter in their. District they still live in their, districts so they're going to the grocery store and drop off and the library and you, know everywhere else alongside voters and, constituents and they are sort of never off. Duty and that means that their muscle of communicating and talking about the things they care, about what they believe, in why they're running for, office what's happening, nationally and how they put it in their own, words that's happening all the, time and they're building that.
Speaker 10: MUSCLE i think we call it.
Speaker 11: Now they're authentic, communicators but truly like they're just normal people who are having conversations with their.
Speaker 1: Neighbors so the recruitment numbers are really. Impressive In. MINNESOTA i think he has a fill to every. District kansas has the biggest late in thirty. Years QUESTION i, had how does the recruiting pitch go for a candidate who lives in a district Where republicans routinely win by twenty to thirty, Points because that is a getting people's run for office in the first place. Difficult getting people to run for office in a place where the climb is very. STEEP i imagine that's even harder it.
Speaker 11: Is you, know this is the thing THAT i was most us about this, cycle, was you, know coming out of twenty twenty, four starting this year, off how are we going to get people to run for? Office and then of course we had the horrific assassination Of Speaker cortman In, minnesota another reminder ride of how difficult.
Speaker 10: It is to run for.
Speaker 11: Office it didn't come, true like people were really excited to run for, office AND i, think you, know we work hard to make sure that candidates across the country have.
Speaker 10: Some level of tools and sort of toolkits right to run for.
Speaker 11: Office BUT i think what we've seen is our ability at this bout level to connect with voters and all kinds of communities this year and win. Elections we've already flipped thirty, seats some of these have been in ruby red. Districts is a reminder that if we don't show, up if someone doesn't show, up we can't even, compete let alone. Win and this really feels like a year where you, know people are seeing that one way to change the direction of the country is to change the people In and you've got two options in that you vote or you run for, office and we are seeing that all Over it's just.
Speaker 1: Incredible i'm sure there's an incredible diversity of candidates that you've, recruited but is there any sort of demographic group or type of candidate or profession that keeps showing up more this cycle compared to other.
Speaker 11: Cycles you, know it's interesting that you asked this question in part because you, know our candidates tend to be middle. Class they tend to, be LIKE i, said first time. Candidates they tend to be maybe. Not you're sort of made FOR tv sort of, politician and that is what is so great about this bout. Level it's what's great about our state legislators is you've got real people trying to solve real. PROBLEMS i feel like there is a stronger spotlight on, that and you're noticing it. More it feels just different than what you stereotypically have seen in sort of national.
Speaker 1: Politics student council, president, yes lawyers, right lawyer, right, yeah.
Speaker 11: Exactly AND i think that the value of these candidates is their ability to, say you, KNOW i GET i get what you're dealing. With here's my story and How i'm dealing with it and how it's challenging for. Me this is my own personal antidote of what is happening. Here BUT i get, IT i hear, you and, like we may have slightly different views of how this can come, together but we can talk about. It AND i, think you, know that is really what we're seeing in these.
Speaker 10: Candidates it's.
Speaker 1: Great, obviously the democratic parties are national favorability rating is in the, basement and yet state legislative democrats routinely run ahead of the of the national party. Brand what are your candidates doing that the national party can't seem to.
Speaker 11: Do these candidates are community, organizing. Right they are still talking about the thing that's happening in your. Backyard and you, know if you talk to someone who has been in office in the state, legislature you will hear them say like they are problem solvers on behalf of their. Community they are connecting constituents with federal agencies that are solving their. Problem they're trying to get their trash can that you, know had gone missing and they hadn't been able to get it. Back they are able to take these big. POLICIES i like to use The Infrastructure bill as an example and break it down into community. Impact you, know the Infrastructure, bill what does it mean for our? Community it means that this road is going to be fixed in twenty, minutes is going to be cut off your commute. Time you're going to have forty minutes a day back in your life to do whatever it is that you want to. Do that ability to really localize the national issues is really the art form of this boot. Level everything is about your. Neighbor and as much as we are a country, divided people still care a lot about their communities and their.
Speaker 10: Neighbors and that is what separates.
Speaker 1: Things for a person listening right now who's surrounded by trumpy neighbors and is Sure democrats have no shot where they. Live what do you say to that, person what should they?
Speaker 10: Do get involved in your state legislative? Race?
Speaker 11: Seriously like it, is it, Will it will broaden what you, think it'll broaden your view of your, neighbors, right but it will also.
Speaker 10: Give you that opportunity to have those.
Speaker 11: Conversations you, know these legislative candidates are surrounded by friends and family who are volunteering and talking to voters on their, behalf persuading them all the way to the end of the. Election and it is in conversation that we move the needle. Together you, know even those of us that are are far, apart maybe not maybe not on the super mega end of, things but on the disillusion To republican that no longer feels like they have a place In Trump's Republican. Party, like there's a real opportunity to dialogue and have that conversation and find some level of common ground and honestly just listen and hold space for. People and that is that is what is being craved.
Speaker 1: Everywhere last, Question, yeah give us the state legislative. Chamber people aren't paying enough attention to that you'll be watching on election night and and what it'll tell us if it goes our?
Speaker 10: Way oh, Man.
Speaker 11: Okay So i'm going to take this in two. Ways, one the one THAT i care most about Is. MINNESOTA i just it's my home. State AS i hasn't been a, Lot we've been through a lot. There we JUST i really want to get that one. Back so that's my personal take on. IT i, think you, know if we are having just an incredible like, year there's real things happening In.
Speaker 10: Arizona.
Speaker 1: YEAH i Saw arizona in the list AND i was, like oh, Wow, yeah how do we go From arizona being so read to now Two democratic, Senators Katie hobbs's governor AND i guess the legislature is up.
Speaker 10: For grabs to, them it very much.
Speaker 11: Is and you, KNOW i think this is A this starts to tell us right, that like big things are. Happening but you, know we're in an environment right now where if the election was held, TODAY i think we've got roughly a plus four environment that we're seeing at our bout.
Speaker 10: Level that means that we could flip as many as six hundred plus. Seats there is a lot in, play and these races are often run on the.
Speaker 11: Margins so we've got this big spreadsheet as everyone does an election night that we watch and it.
Speaker 10: Is it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Exciting Heather, williams thanks for Joining Pod Save america and good luck out.
Speaker 10: There thank.
Speaker 1: You that's our show for. Today thanks To Heather williams for coming. On dan AND i will be back with a new show On. Friday Podsave america is A Crooked media. Production our show is produced By Austin, Fisher Saul, ruben McKenna, roberts And Faris safari With Ree, Jerlin Elijah cone And Adrian. Hill our team Includes matt De, Grote Ben, Hefcote Jordan, Cantor, Charlottelandis carol Pel, Avive David, Toles Mia, Kelman Ryan, young And Naomi. Single our staff is probably unionized with The Writers guild Of America east