Speaker 1: Hey there, and welcome back to the deep dive. Hey, get ready, because today we're tackling something well maybe a bit cloak and dagger sidding.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: We're diving into the actual how behind ethical hacking techniques. Right, this comes straight from the source material you shared with us. Yeah, you're asking about the practical side, you know, the tools, the steps. Yeah, and that's exactly what we're here to unpack.
Speaker 2: That's right. We've got this guide here and it lays out various practical methods and tools. Okay, what's really interesting about it is the focus. It's very hands on. It's really designed to show how things are done, rather than getting you know, bogged down in abstract theory.
Speaker 1: So our mission for this deep dive then is to pull out those key techniques, the tools, the concepts from this guide. I want to understand the steps involved, see what insights they offer about how these methods actually work in practice.
Speaker 2: And look, it's absolutely essential we highlight something the source makes really clear right at the start. Okay, what's that It states very iplicitly that whenever it uses the word hacking, it's referring to ethical hacking.
Speaker 1: Right, important distinction.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it gives a strong warning against using any of this for illegal stuff and clearly says it's not responsible for any illegal actions.
Speaker 1: So, just to be crystal clear, we're exploring the information in the source purely for education to understand the techniques described precisely.
Speaker 2: That's the goal here, understanding, not instruction for misuse.
Speaker 1: Got it, and the material itself, you said, it's quite direct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets straight to the point, almost like field notes, you know, focuses on the practical steps. It acknowledges there might be like language imperfections, but the focus is action, okay, And it sets the stage early on saying, look, this isn't movie.
Speaker 1: Magic, right, no glowing green text rolling super fast.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, probably not. It emphasizes groundwork, especially information gathering and a solid grasp of both theory and practice. And it really highlights knowing Linux specifically calls out Kala Linux as like found.
Speaker 1: Okay, calie linox good to know. All right, right, let's unpack this. Then the guide seemed to jump right into gaining initial access first method up SSH brute force.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It points out that getting SSH access is like a top priority because if you get.
Speaker 1: That, basically in control of the whole system pretty much.
Speaker 2: So it shows how to use tools like n maps, specifically an n MAP script called swish brute and another tool MEDUSA right to just hammer away trying tons of username and password combinations.
Speaker 1: Until one works. And it mentioned something kind of surprising trying a blank password for SSH.
Speaker 2: It does a small detail, but yeah, it's just giving that a try. Sometimes NMP even does it automatically as a first check.
Speaker 1: Huh, a simple potential weak point.
Speaker 2: Maybe less common now, but yeah, it's mentioned so before.
Speaker 1: The main brute force. It's about recon finding weak spots. Yeah, what other reconnaissance tools does it mention?
Speaker 2: Early on it lists a few others to sort of give try once as it puts it, okay, like dirbuster or dirb They search for hidden web pages or directories.
Speaker 1: Ah, finding stuff that's not obviously linked exactly.
Speaker 2: Then there's an n MAP script FTP dash and non dot NSS just to quickly check if a site allows anonymous FTP logins.
Speaker 1: Another potential way in YEP.
Speaker 2: And nikto for vulnerability standing though it notes nikto can be slow but often.
Speaker 1: Accurate slow bit steady, and.
Speaker 2: Search sploit, which lets you search databases of known exploits.
Speaker 1: Offline, right, So you don't need to be connected while searching for attack methods.
Speaker 2: Correct, So it's all about building that initial picture.
Speaker 1: Reconnaissance sounds like a whole toolkit, not just one thing.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, the guide really hammers home that information gathering is maybe the most critical.
Speaker 1: Phase, more important than the attack itself arguably.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It lists tools like Maltago, the Osen framework, reconninging and map again dymmetry, a lot of tools, and the stresses that any info can be useful user names, emails, even things like hobbies or company structure, anything. The more you know, the better your chance is.
Speaker 1: Basically, Okay, here's something that caught my eye in the notes. Banner grabbing Chapter eight sounds a bit retro.
Speaker 2: It does sound a bit old school, right, But what's fascinating is how simple the source makes it seem.
Speaker 1: How simple.
Speaker 2: Banner grabbing is just described as, you know, connecting to an open port on a system to see what service responds.
Speaker 1: And how do you do that, according to the guide.
Speaker 2: Using really basic often built in tools like netcat and c or tilnet. So nothing fancy needed, Nope, just connect to the port like port eighty for web or twenty two for SSH. Maybe send some garbage input and the server often sends back a banner basically a greeting.
Speaker 1: Message, and that banner tells you.
Speaker 2: Often the service name and crucially it's version number.
Speaker 1: Ah. And knowing the version is key because.
Speaker 2: Because you can immediately look up if that specific version has known vulnerabilities. You know, cvees common vulnerabilities and exposures.
Speaker 1: So it's a low tech way to find a known weakness before you even try anything complicated.
Speaker 2: Exactly straight from the sources description.
Speaker 1: Okay, Moving on from reconnaissance, the guide gets into common attack types. Wi Fi hacking comes up, apparently a popular search query.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it mentions that, and it contrasts the older method capturing that Wi Fi handshake and trying to crack the password hash offline.
Speaker 1: Which takes a lot of computing power.
Speaker 2: Now right right, the guide calls it a headache. Now instead, it focuses on what it presents as a more modern approach, the evil twin attack.
Speaker 1: Evil twin sounds ominous. How does that work? According to this guide?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it involves setting up a fake Wi Fi access point, one that looks exactly like a legitimate one nearby same name the SSID.
Speaker 1: Like mimiking the coffee shop's s WiFi precisely.
Speaker 2: The material shows using a tool called.
Speaker 1: Flection for this election. Got it.
Speaker 2: Then the attack actively kicks legitimate users off the real network, forces them off, yeah, deauthenticates them. So their devices automatically look for the work again and find your fake one.
Speaker 1: Ah, and connect to the fake one because it looks right and might even be open often.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And once they're connected to your fake network, then what then comes the trap? They get presented with a fake login page looks like one of those captive portals, you know, enter the password to access the Internet.
Speaker 1: So it is like phishing, but for the Wi Fi password itself exactly.
Speaker 2: But and this is a crucial difference, the source highlights m M unlike a lot of web fishing where you might enter fake details and it still looks like it works right here, for the evil twin portal to seem to grant Internet access, the user actually has to enter the correct real password for the network they thought they were joining.
Speaker 1: WHOA, So the attack relies on them needing to input the actual password to proceed. That's how it captures it.
Speaker 2: That's the mechanism described Yeah, the requirement for the real password is the core of it. The guide walks through the flection steps pretty thoroughly.
Speaker 1: That's clever deceptive. Oh okay, speaking of fishing, the guide cover standard webfishing too fake login pages, but it notes people are getting better at spotting fake URLs, so it suggests twists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of interesting vectors described. First, instead of just sending a link, generate the fishing link using a tool like next fisher, but then embed that link inside a mobile app file. It shows using an online tool like appskyzer dot com for.
Speaker 1: This, Wait, turn the fishing page into an app.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, so you're tricking someone into installing a seemingly harmless app, which then presents the login page.
Speaker 1: That's wow, that's a different level. What was the other method? Masking the link?
Speaker 2: Right? Using a tool shown called mask phish, it takes your nasty fishing url uh huh and creates a new link that looks incredibly real. It can make it look like www dot Facebook dot com, but maybe with extra words tacked on that seem legit while completely hiding the actual malicious destination.
Speaker 1: The sources. These look so real sounds really effective, especially on mobile, it does.
Speaker 2: The guide notes desktop browsers might sometimes throw a warning, but on mobile often works smoothly.
Speaker 1: Scary. It even gives a tip about making a fake Facebook app and asking a friend to log in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, highlighting that social engineering element again is often not just about the tech, right, Okay.
Speaker 1: So, let's say an attacker gets some kind of foothold or they're probing deeper. The guide talks about defenses they might hit, like cloud Flare.
Speaker 2: Cloud Flair's common the source explains its main job is protecting sites from things like denial of service.
Speaker 1: Attacks and hiding the site's real IP address right acting as a proxy exactly.
Speaker 2: So. The guide shows how to try and bypass that protection using a tool called cloud.
Speaker 1: Fail cloud fail, and its goal.
Speaker 2: Is to find the actual original IP address of the web server behind cloud Flair's network.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, yeah, And why is finding that real IP so important for an attacker?
Speaker 2: Because, as the guide shows, if you know the real IP, you might be able to attack the server directly, maybe launch that DOS attack cloud Flair was supposed to stop.
Speaker 1: Or access things cloud flaw might be hiding, like an admin login.
Speaker 2: Page, precisely like the cPanel login. The source demonstrates it's about peeling back that protective layer.
Speaker 1: Got it, so stripping away defenses. Now what happens after getting basic access to the SSH access we talked about earlier? The guide implies that's just step one.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely, it moves onto something critical, privilege.
Speaker 1: Escalation, raising your permission level.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially on Linux systems, which the source notes are common for websites. You might get in as a regular user with limited powers.
Speaker 1: Right, can't do much damage, not really.
Speaker 2: To make significant changes, install things, read sensitive files.
Speaker 3: You need root access the super rouser the administrator keys basically yep, and the guide calls this the point where real skills come to play, not just running simple scripts.
Speaker 1: So how does it suggest getting root without having the root password? This seems like the hard part.
Speaker 2: It demonstrates a technique focused on exploiting the pseudo command.
Speaker 1: To pseudo that lets users run some commands. Is root right correct?
Speaker 2: The method shown is first check exactly which commands your specific user account is allowed to run using Pseudo without needing the root password. You use pseudo dsh L for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you see your allowed list?
Speaker 2: Then what then you cross reference that list with external resources? The guide specifically mentions gtfobins gtf obins. Yeah, it's a curated list of Unix Linux binaries that can be abused to bypass local security restrictions, including getting a rootshell if they're configured incorrectly with pseudo.
Speaker 1: Huh. So you find a command you are allowed to run with pseudo, check gtf obins and see there's a known exploit for it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The guide shows an example using the tar command. Running tar in a very specific way with pseudo based on the gtf opins entry directly gives you a root command.
Speaker 1: Prompt Wow, turning a file archiving tool into a root exploit. That's subtle.
Speaker 2: It's presented as a classic example of, as the source puts it, the game of Linux privileged esigalation. This configurations are key.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's getting deeper access. What about communication? If you're doing this, you probably want to share files or info securely, right, good point.
Speaker 2: The guide addresses that too. It points out that normal methods email cloud storage aren't secure for sensitive stuff mentions. Even big platforms.
Speaker 1: Get breached, like Twitter, it said, right.
Speaker 2: So it introduces a tool called Onion Share.
Speaker 1: Onion Share uses tour I assume from.
Speaker 2: The name YEP designed for secure and anonymous file sharing over the Tour network.
Speaker 1: How does it work? Does it use servers?
Speaker 2: No, that's the clever part. According to the guide, it starts a temporary web server directly on your own computer and makes whatever you're sharing accessible only via a unique, unguessable Tour Onion address.
Speaker 1: So the recipient needs the Tour browser.
Speaker 2: To get it exactly, and the connection is described as end to end encrypted using tours strong v three Onion services, no third parties, no accounts needed.
Speaker 1: Meat What can you do with it? Just send files?
Speaker 2: The source shows options for send files securely, receiving files from someone, and even publishing a simple static website anonymously.
Speaker 1: Pretty versatile for a secure peer to peer sharing.
Speaker 2: Seems like it okay, But the guide doesn't just focus on attacking. It flips the script a bit, so it talks about catching attackers. Chapter seven introduces honeypots.
Speaker 1: Honey pots like setting a trap? What does the guide say they are?
Speaker 2: Describes them as a way to catch the hacker, or even quote hack the hacker.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds interesting? Are they hard to set up?
Speaker 2: Present? It is pretty easy. Actually. The demo uses a tool called pent box vent box.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It shows configuring it to listen on a specific port. Maybe make it look like an interesting service, and you can even set a custom fake message if someone connects.
Speaker 1: So you set up this fake service, how does it catch anyone?
Speaker 2: The practical example shows running an NMP scan against the machine with the honeypot running.
Speaker 1: Just a standard port scan.
Speaker 2: Yep, and the pent Box honeypot immediately detects the connection attempt from the scanner and lugs. It logs the attackers IP address and the port they tried to connect to. So even this simple setup acts as an early warning system.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you see someone poking around your network where they shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Exactly turns the tables a bit using their scanning against them.
Speaker 1: Clever. Okay, so we've gone through access attacks, escalations, secure comms, even detection. What's the final stage?
Speaker 2: According to this guide Cleaning Tracks chapter thirteen, absolutely vital.
Speaker 1: It stresses to avoid getting caught obviously and maybe maintain access both.
Speaker 2: Avoid detection maintain persistence. The guide shows a few methods creating hidden directories to store tools or data.
Speaker 1: Like putting a dot before the directory name and Linux Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like secret inside devshim was the example. Clearing your command history history dash you see so no one sees what you type.
Speaker 1: Makes sense?
Speaker 2: And critically clearing system log.
Speaker 1: Files that seems like the big one which logs does it mention key.
Speaker 2: Ones like varlogoth dot log that tracks logins, authentication attempts right, also varlocron dot log for scheduled tasks, barlog, mail log, web server logs like varla tpd basically anywhere your activity might be recorded.
Speaker 1: And how does this show clearing them just delete the file?
Speaker 2: It shows two ways, either armin to remove the file completely, which.
Speaker 1: Might be suspicious if the file is suddenly missing.
Speaker 2: Right, or perhaps more subtly, using echo varlogoth dot log to just erase the contents of the file, leaving an empty log file behind. Ah less obvious maybe possibly. And it also points out an automated tool called cover my ass.
Speaker 1: Seriously, cover my ass that's.
Speaker 2: The name shown for those who are as the source puts it lazy to clear your own tracks. It apparently clears logs and bash history automatically.
Speaker 1: Okay, automation for the file steps seems so now to put some of this together, the guide includes a CTF walkthrough capture the flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a simple one from tri Hackney chapter twelve. It's a nice way to show how these techniques link up in a practical scenario.
Speaker 1: Okay, walk us through how the guy presents it. How does it connect the dots?
Speaker 2: It starts naturally with reconnaissance an n.
Speaker 1: MAP scan finding open ports.
Speaker 2: Right, it finds FTP, SSH and HTTP open on the.
Speaker 1: Target machine standard services.
Speaker 2: Then it runs a specific n map script that ftpdashanon dot essa we mentioned earlier to check for vulnerabilities. Finds an anonymous FTP log in vulnerability. Anyone can log in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the first way in well.
Speaker 2: A way to get information logging into FTP as anonymous. The walkthrough finds a couple of files. One has a username and another file contains a list of passwords.
Speaker 1: So the recon led to a vulnerability, which led to finding potential credentials. Clever exactly. So now they have a username l I N and the example and a password list locks dot txt.
Speaker 2: What next try those passwords?
Speaker 1: Yep. The guide shows using a brute force tool MEDUSA again targeting the SSA service, this time.
Speaker 2: Using the username l I N and the password list found via FTP correct and MEDUSA successfully the SSH.
Speaker 1: Password, giving them command line access as the user.
Speaker 2: Lai in precisely. Once logged in via SSH, they find the first flag user dot txt. Goal one achieved.
Speaker 1: But there's usually a root flag too, right, the ultimate goal.
Speaker 2: There is and to get the second flag root dot txt. The guide explicitly states you need to perform privileged escalation.
Speaker 1: Referencing the techniques from chapter six we discussed pseudo SLGTF opens exactly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't show the full steps again in the CTF walkthrough, but it points back to that chapter saying that's what's needed to get root access and the final flag.
Speaker 1: So the CTF example really ties it together. Reconvulnerability and on FTP info gathering, user name, password list, brute force, initial access, SSH post exploitation, privileged escalation, final goal root flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in a neat little package showing several of the key steps described individually in the source, all used in sequence.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that was quite a journey through the practical techniques this guide laid out. We went from scanning and initial access as the states brute force banner grabbing, to common attacks like the evil twin WiFi hack that appmbitted fishing yep, the creative ones bypassing defenses like cloud flare, getting deeper with privileged escalation.
Speaker 2: Using tools like onion share for secure.
Speaker 1: Comms, setting traps with honeypots, and then that final crucial step cleaning tracks.
Speaker 2: We really unpack the how to details, the specific tools mentioned in the source material, seeing the steps according to the author, and how they might chain together. In that CTF example.
Speaker 1: It definitely gives you a different picture than the movies, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Completely, It's much more about like systematic information gathering, understanding the target system, finding those specific weak points.
Speaker 2: And knowing the right tools and techniques for the job. Like the source kept emphasizing that practical knowledge, and you know, going back to the start, that strong disclaimer the source included about ethical use, only it really underscores the power I mean understanding stuff. It's potent knowledge.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So thinking about everything we've just gone through, all these detailed steps, the tools many readily available, Yeah, it does make you think, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely raises a pre significant question, I think, which is well in a world where this kind of technical knowledge, these methods, even if learned for defense, are becoming more widely documented and accessible.
Speaker 1: Right like in guys like this one.
Speaker 2: Exactly, how do we as individuals, as organizations, as a society, how do we ensure that this powerful information is pursued, used and applied responsibly ethically.
Speaker 1: That's a heavy question, definitely something that you want. Thank you for taking as though as deep dive into these techniques as presented in the source.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Thank you and honestly just understanding these methods even at a high level like this, Yeah, it really can highlight why basic security hygiene, strong passwords, updates, being cautious, and having multiple layers of defense are just so important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely a good reminder. Yeah, Well, until next time, keep learning, keep exploring, and stay curious.