Speaker 1: Problem Hollywood.
Speaker 2: It's time though for ed Mund O'Brien as Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 1: Tenan Honison, Dollar, you can come down any time you wanta. I'm still at the.
Speaker 3: Hospital, thanks, Lieutenant. How's the driver?
Speaker 1: He's not gonna live.
Speaker 3: You them the doctor's doubt they can bring him around.
Speaker 1: For a statement. Uh what about the loss? Is the amountmans figured out? Yet? Pretty close?
Speaker 3: Almost two hundred and fifty dollars. I don't suppose there's a chance, But was any of it marked or listed by serial numbers?
Speaker 1: It? You better come down.
Speaker 4: The driver does regain consciousness, we may get something.
Speaker 3: If he doesn't, we'll be starting pretty much on the stark. I guess both of us have done that before. All right, Lieutenant Honison, I'll be right there.
Speaker 2: Edmund O'Brien and Another adventure of the man was the Action Packed Expenser gownd America's Fat Bill has free lance.
Speaker 3: Insurance Investigator because.
Speaker 1: Truly Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 3: Expense Mound submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dollar to Home Office, Columbia All Risk Insurance.
Speaker 1: Company, Hartford, Connecticut.
Speaker 3: The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the month end raid matter expect count out of one one hundred and eight dollars and twenty five cents airfare incidentals between Hartford and Kansas City, Missouri, where I arrived some seven hours after the company had advised me of the loss sustained by armed robbery by the Andover chain of department stores. The first details I received were sketchy. At the finish of a four day month end sale, the armored truck that had picked up the receipts from three branch stores had been robbed. One god had been killed at the scene. The driver, Carl Billa, was dying. At eleven thirty that night when I met Lieutenant Arneson in the hospital corridor.
Speaker 4: Doctor say three, I'm afraid, I talked, you're into a way to tip down here. Just saw the doctor gent I'm giving Bill a lesson now to live now. His wife just went in the room, never came back at all. Huh No, I've been with him most of the time and had the men, and I was, what.
Speaker 3: Did you expect him to give you? A Lieutenant, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: According to witnesses, he and the guard were shot down by one of the men in cold blood, not because they resisted the killers. Why to eliminate them. Maybe why because the victims knew the killer. Maybe in spite of the masks they were wearing. That's what I hope you tell me. That's eploying. How are these witnesses any good? Good as most The picture seems to have been two cars, both sedans. One of them was in the passenger loading z home when the armored truck arrived and pocked in front of it.
Speaker 1: These men you went and were then?
Speaker 4: They sure did? They knew the truck had picked up the receipts at the end of the stores across the in Kansas City, Kansas and Independence, and the one car was waiting for them at.
Speaker 1: The store here.
Speaker 4: The other car double parked when the money came out, The men were shot down and the truck was empty before anybody turned in an alarm. How our license numbers both them were stolen. Car age didn't work anyway. You want a dollar, I won't get new.
Speaker 1: Road, thanks, lieutenant.
Speaker 4: Were both aiming for the same thing, and I'm gonna have my hands coll robbery detail tells me their informansts have hinted that the gang has been forming here in town for the.
Speaker 3: Last month or two.
Speaker 1: I guess they were right.
Speaker 4: We're pulling in everybody we can. Maybe we can get some talk out of some of them. I'll wet a slow process, but that's the way we work. I'll be in my Oh, yes, Cole, is he gone? There was nothing they could do. Well, it finishes that. This is mister Dallar, Sergeant co all right, Sergeant Call. Dolla's investigating for the insurance company. Yeah, but they're hurting.
Speaker 3: H I've seen them in better moods. Were you planning on talking to the widow tonight, Lieutenant all out?
Speaker 1: The possibility that he knew the killers? Kind of condition is she?
Speaker 3: And Call?
Speaker 4: I'm hard to tell. She seemed to be standing up all right. I just as soon leave it to you tonight, Dolla. Cole, and I am going to get back to headquarters and see what we've pulled in.
Speaker 1: Sheer, Lieutenant, anything you say.
Speaker 3: A short time later, a white sheeted figure was rolled out of the biller room, followed in a couple of minutes for missus Beller, a plain, lumpy woman in her forties. In silence, she followed me into an empty.
Speaker 1: Waiting room a few yards down the corridor.
Speaker 3: I want to go home.
Speaker 5: I've been here all day, and I'm tired.
Speaker 1: I can certainly understand that, Missus Beller, and I won't keep you long.
Speaker 3: This may seem like a strange question under the circumstances, but do you think there could have been anything personal connected with your husband's dead personal? We're looking for a valid reason for mister Beller and the other men being shot down the way they were.
Speaker 5: What are you talking about? I wouldn't he get shot? Didn't surprise me. It was always with a lot of money, and I told him he'd get shot some day.
Speaker 3: There was no apparent reason, Missus Beller. They weren't given time to try to protect the money. They didn't draw their guns. Private guards worked under orders to surrender as a rule, but they weren't given a chance. They were met on the sidewalk and killed without a word.
Speaker 5: I haven't I've been thinking about anything like that all day long. I've been wondering what would.
Speaker 4: Happen if he died?
Speaker 5: Now he has here, I am with a house, still not paid for, no money. I just have to face it dead, That's all there is to it.
Speaker 3: You'd want to helps find the man who killed him if if you.
Speaker 5: Could, wouldn't you how could I help you do that?
Speaker 1: He and the other man could have been killed because they knew the man who killed him.
Speaker 5: How could anything like that be? Why should Carl know anybody like that?
Speaker 3: We don't know that he did. We only wonder and.
Speaker 5: I read the papers. How could he know anybody when they were all wearing masks?
Speaker 3: That could mean that he knew them very well, well enough to recognize them in spite of the masks.
Speaker 1: Don't you see what I mean? Missus?
Speaker 3: Billing?
Speaker 5: I can't think you couldn't expect me to think after a daylight this has been I don't know what to say.
Speaker 3: I'm all mixed up now. I understand this is a billing. I won't bother you anymore tonight. But we want to know is if somebody who knew your husband and knew quite a lot about his job could have been responsible for his death and the robbery. We'll talk to you about it again maybe tomorrow. Lieutenant Andieson thought enough of the interview and the widow's reaction to assign a couple of men to keep her cupboard.
Speaker 1: The police spent most.
Speaker 3: Of that night pulling in known and suspected criminals and grilling them without any definite success. But the next morning I was in the Lieutenant's office while he was waiting for feathers informers could be brought in.
Speaker 4: Nothing on the missing cars yet, I love and I'm dead. Certainly they haven't got out of town. They had it sewed up in a hurry. I put another man on a biller angle too, walking into his habits and friends, but staying away from his wife.
Speaker 1: We'll save her for you, thanks a line.
Speaker 4: I thought you'd like her.
Speaker 1: Here's the count Lieutenant. Yeah, come on in a well.
Speaker 4: Or sometimes called the count. Em and I have known one another for a long time.
Speaker 6: I owe the Lieutenant a deep debt of gratitude.
Speaker 1: Here go on email.
Speaker 4: This man's working for the insurance company that covers the missing money.
Speaker 1: You can trust him if you say so. Fell what's going on in town? Email?
Speaker 7: What does the crowd say about this heist? They don't say very little. They don't like this. These are foreigners who do this Chicago. The crowd don't like this.
Speaker 1: Doesn't look like a farm job to me.
Speaker 3: And you'll just wear that on a truck with bea and we're waiting for it out Outsiders get information like that. Who are these foreigners and where are they?
Speaker 6: Where they are?
Speaker 7: I don't know who. I hear only some names that are nothing. One is Pinky.
Speaker 6: One other is Ross, first name alike only a Ross.
Speaker 7: Other is Shorty, other is the nick who their other names are?
Speaker 6: Nobody knows. He is not much, Lieutenant. I am only a man.
Speaker 1: Anything more Johnny. Yeah, do you know if there's here in Kansas City?
Speaker 7: Although I know that so I from the crowd of the only one who knows where they are?
Speaker 6: Then I am shocked to.
Speaker 3: The lieutenant seemed to be fairly sure that the man and the money were still in town. All the escape routes have been covered by police armed with composite descriptions of more than thirty witnesses to the shooting. The information given as by the informer was almost worthless, but the first names and aliases were wired to Chicago for a search, and the officer working on the bill angle came up with the development later that same afternoon. So I was armed with at least something definite when I went out to see the widow. Hello, missus villain, Hello, thank you're feeling better today?
Speaker 5: In some ways I do, some ways I don't. She didn't come in at you.
Speaker 1: This is Bella.
Speaker 3: I learned some things in this afternoon that I hope you've been thinking about what your husband and this woman named it Betty Claire. I was going to tell you what do you know about it?
Speaker 1: She's married to a man who just got out of prison.
Speaker 5: I was going to tell you. I knew she'd get him into trouble, sooner or later. I did all I could to get him away from her, even wrote a letter to the bonding company that she was nobody to be hanging around somebody with Carl's work.
Speaker 3: He saw her after her husband was baroled.
Speaker 5: Not so much, I guess, but her husband was away sometimes I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yes, Carl went to see her some.
Speaker 3: Then you must have thought of her when I talked to your last night.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: There's no use lying.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you mention it?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe I was ashamed of having a husband some other woman could keep her hold on until she got him killed.
Speaker 3: And you think their association was one where he would have told her details of about his job. Yes, now you admit that you think she had something to do with the robbery.
Speaker 5: Yes, cause Carl didn't come home, not before last I don't know where he was, but he came here in the morning to change into his uniform, then he left.
Speaker 3: That was the morning he was killed.
Speaker 1: Did you ask him where he'd been No.
Speaker 5: I got over doing that quite a while ago.
Speaker 3: Has she been arrested un yet? Tellan Honesson was waiting for me. We wanted to get what you had to say before we talked to her. Do you have anything more?
Speaker 5: No, except I hope she gets hurt as much as she's made me get hurt.
Speaker 1: I think that's all that ends. Uh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you'd have mentioned this last night, hope. Hey, I'm too late now.
Speaker 1: Mhm huh. There's nobody here.
Speaker 6: You are there.
Speaker 1: Over there, bring lark hum, you've got the key.
Speaker 3: Let's get over to the side.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 1: I guess we're safe, very clear they've been choked. At that.
Speaker 2: We will return you to the second act of yours, Juli Johnny daughter. In just a moment, there's lots of good folding money in an hour of merriment, and music on hand. Again tonight, when CBS presents Sing It Again, the fire a voice brings an extra tingle of excitement and pays off handsomely. When Jan Murray uses that coast to coast both here sing it again on CBS tonight with our star Edmond O'Brien. We've return you to the second act of yours, Truly, Johnny.
Speaker 3: Dollar Petty clad been strangled, obviously by a pair of hands. The apartment showed signs of a struggle, but further search revealed only a newspaper whose day and time seemed to indicate that she'd been killed. After Carl Villa had died, there wasn't a lead as to the possible where of ours husband, Arnold Claire that the search for him was speeded up. At five, A report from a section of Kansas City called East Bottom did give us a lead. The body of a man was found in a garage. He'd been shot today in his pocket as a receipt for an insured parcel post package. A follow up on the receiver's address or the package to contain fifteen thousand dollars in cash. Later, the informer am a lord. I followed the lieutenant to me and to view the body. Okay, Charlie, do.
Speaker 1: You know this man? Emo?
Speaker 4: Howk would I be sure he's one of the crowd?
Speaker 1: I know who he is, he.
Speaker 6: Know his name, is Nordworth It is?
Speaker 3: Yes, I know well know the.
Speaker 4: Record of narcotics possession, suspicion of burglary sixty days last year, on vagrancy and carrying a concealed weapon.
Speaker 3: Yes, Lieutenant tells me he's not from Chicago, animal and he's a local boy. Yes, you still say the and of a job was pulled by Chicago man.
Speaker 6: This is what I think, what the talk is.
Speaker 4: I also told Dollar that I never could really trust you.
Speaker 1: Amo.
Speaker 4: There was always a chance somebody might buy you into bringing me false information.
Speaker 3: Oh no, couldn't somebody who just made a two hundred thousand dollars hall by you in that Amo, Oh no, none.
Speaker 4: He's not going to do you any good if I find out you aren't leveling with me. I got about four charges I can bring against you.
Speaker 1: They send you up for quite a while.
Speaker 7: I owe you deep gratitude. I tried to find out more. So you let me go.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I'll give you the rest of the evening up to ten thirty eight. One thing you don't have to find out nor with here some fifteen grand out of the city by mail. There's only one reason he do that. He was mixed up for the end of a job. I'll get going. I'll pick up later.
Speaker 3: The two additional killings, possibly linked to the robbery said Kansas City is underworld and police force spinning. Every officer in town was put on duty until further notice. By eight, the tanks were filled with hoodlums. By the streets and hangouts were strangely empty.
Speaker 1: I'm silent. At nine o'clock, it.
Speaker 3: Seemed that things started to break aknown associate of Arnold Clare was picked up and brought to the lieutenant's office.
Speaker 8: Sure, sure, I know Arnold. I was in prison with him. I met his wife the other night. But I don't know anything about the and over.
Speaker 1: John, where were you in the morning?
Speaker 8: Was pulled Listen, I got alibis to prove I wasn't mixed up and nothing.
Speaker 3: What about Arnold Clare, As far as I.
Speaker 8: Know, he was going straight, That's what he told me.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we've got Claire link got pretty close. We know his wife was running around with the driver of that honored truck. That would give Claire access to the information he'd need.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I can't help what his wife was up. But he told me he was going straight. He said he was looking for a job.
Speaker 1: When did he tell you that.
Speaker 8: Last time I saw him the other night when I met his wife Tuesday?
Speaker 1: It was Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, robbery came off Wednesday morning, and you were with Claire and his wife Tuesday night.
Speaker 6: That's right, I tell you.
Speaker 8: I don't think he had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: How late were you with him?
Speaker 8: Oh, must have been one thirty two in the morning.
Speaker 3: And Betty Claire was there all the time. That's right. Present giant with Missus Biller's story. Lieutenant, Look, I'm.
Speaker 2: Telling the truth.
Speaker 4: I got no reason to lie.
Speaker 1: How about proof? Is anyone else there? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, somebody else was there. We ordered some liquor sometime around midnight. The boy from the liquor store brought it up. I forgot the name of the place, but I can show you.
Speaker 3: Missus Billa said her husbands with Declaire the night before the robbery. That ain't true.
Speaker 8: Nobody was with her but Arnold and me.
Speaker 3: I'll take you to that liquor.
Speaker 4: Store, and she was killed yesterday, the day after Billa died.
Speaker 3: What why?
Speaker 9: Who was killed?
Speaker 3: Are you sure Billa wasn't with you and Betty Claire and her husband?
Speaker 8: You're telling me Betty Claire is dead.
Speaker 3: You know she is strangled. I'll tell us why Wait.
Speaker 8: A minute, Wait a minute. I didn't know anything about it. I swear I didn't. I'll tell you what Arnold is to prove.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 6: What kind of proof is that I didn't know?
Speaker 8: I swear I didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't tell me.
Speaker 8: He said there was too much heat on from the end over job and he didn't have an alibi for the whole morning. He said he wanted to stay out of sight for a while.
Speaker 1: Sure, make himself looks and I suppose I.
Speaker 2: Don't care what you think.
Speaker 3: That's what he told me.
Speaker 4: And that's all.
Speaker 8: But if his wife has been killed, I don't want to have nothing more to do with him.
Speaker 4: That's a real double cross to.
Speaker 9: Get me mixed up and anything like that.
Speaker 3: I'm through with him.
Speaker 6: Where is he?
Speaker 8: There's a shock out by the hedge of town near the river.
Speaker 6: I've been taking.
Speaker 3: Food to him.
Speaker 1: Let's get started, Jewstone.
Speaker 8: Now, look, you you ain't gonna make me go with you, ain't. I ain't. Ain't it enough I tell you where he is.
Speaker 3: You are the first real life hunker progress we've had. We want to hang out. Come on he'll kill me if he gets a chance.
Speaker 4: You try and see that he doesn't get on. Let's call bad news. They caught up with a mordoff.
Speaker 1: He's dead. Yeah, the report just came in me.
Speaker 4: That's too bad. He is a good, honest story, and I'm gonna miss him.
Speaker 1: He's a better stop.
Speaker 4: Don't you think the town is really hot? I can't remember it ever being this hot.
Speaker 1: We checked stones story at the liquor store.
Speaker 3: The delivery boy finally remembered and agreed that only Stone had been with the.
Speaker 1: Claires in the apartment the night before the robbery.
Speaker 3: Twenty minutes later, with headlights out, our car pulled up on a bird robe. The shack Stone pointed out was screened by a stand of willows on the river bank. One small window showed some light from inside.
Speaker 8: Wait, wait a minute, I ain't going in there.
Speaker 3: You can't make them come.
Speaker 4: Acrass you kill me?
Speaker 3: No, he won't. Stone, Let's go. I tell you he'll kill me.
Speaker 1: It's my case. I'll take it. Here we are.
Speaker 4: Claire stalled at it chair, then on Aniston Homerson stalled, You.
Speaker 1: Saw me off?
Speaker 3: Who lied?
Speaker 8: You lied to me? You didn't tell me about your wife and you was getting me mixed up in a killing.
Speaker 10: I don't set with me, and I called you my film.
Speaker 3: You want to check him for weapons? Junny, Sure, relax, Clay. You can't do yourself any good by making a play. Stand up.
Speaker 1: I won't make a play.
Speaker 10: There's a thirty eight in my left coat pocket.
Speaker 1: You can sit down.
Speaker 3: Why do you want to start clan I?
Speaker 10: I guess it don't make much difference, does why'd you kill your wife?
Speaker 6: What makes you so sure? Right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 10: I killed her because I was trying to go straight this time, and she got mixed up in this hand over job. If i'd known about it before, i'd stopped it for sure. But but I didn't find out until after it happened. How did you find out? One of the guys that got killed, the driver, Biller, His wife got me on the phone the night he died.
Speaker 1: She told me.
Speaker 3: About about Betty and her husband.
Speaker 1: You didn't know about it, No, I didn't know.
Speaker 10: The dame told me about all the years I was in prison, and after I got out, every chance they had the only.
Speaker 1: Reason I told you, I was trying to go straight.
Speaker 10: And I found out that he was working this villa into sitting up a job with her.
Speaker 3: She was doing it to get rid of me again.
Speaker 10: She knew the board would take my parole away no matter what I said.
Speaker 1: Missus Biller told you all this.
Speaker 10: Her husband talked about it before he died.
Speaker 3: You're a stupid fool.
Speaker 10: Sure, I am sure, but I couldn't. But I went crazy. Betty wasn't at home when I found out. I I guess I drank a lot and thought about it. When she came home, I just grabbed. I couldn't help, but I knew I was killing. I couldn't stop.
Speaker 3: You know something, I don't care.
Speaker 1: That's the spirit.
Speaker 3: And at the end of a job, how much do you know about that?
Speaker 10: I know one guy that was in on it, and I'll finger them for you. I'll finger him. I'll see some of them take the same trip I'm taking.
Speaker 3: From the Breakstone gave us the case Snowball. The man Claire took us too, led us to another, and he to another. Drunk that way until four point thirty, and all that remained for the men from Chicago we'd heard of earlier. They were holed up in a house together, and one of them ross degnant in the killer during the job.
Speaker 1: He'd killed for no reason except that he'd been under the influence of narcotics. Dawn was just beginning to break when the stakeout was drawn around the house.
Speaker 4: Got fast and I wanted to one of the men have got head before we did, says he heard a phone ringing in the house even tipped in, probably sageant call ready to go all the town. I think, so you've covered me with the Thompson from the driveway and the ports there. Yeah, you aren't forgetting those sort of shotkins. I not going to get within range.
Speaker 3: And me I'll try to call them out in the street.
Speaker 1: Wait, car starting, where is it the garage?
Speaker 3: They got into the garage?
Speaker 1: The garage.
Speaker 9: You men on the back home of the garage.
Speaker 1: Watch hit a count.
Speaker 9: And call use It took a driver.
Speaker 3: It had been a long night, but we saw the end of the trouble there on the street. What the Chicago man had with him and stolen money brought the recovery up to within two thousand dollars of the original amount. Spence count Adam two one hundred and eighty dollars miscellaneous Item three same as Adam one. Transportation back to hundred expense account total three hundred and ninety six dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 1: Remarks.
Speaker 3: I talked to missus Beller before I left, hoping to get some kind of revenge against the woman who'd stolen her husband. She told Arnold Claire that Betty had set up the robbery, but she got her revenge murdered, and the company owes her a deep debt of gratitude, because when that broke, the whole thing broke, it goes truly, Johnny Downer.
Speaker 2: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars Edmond O'Brien in the title role and has written by Gil Dodd with music by Wilburt Hatchmen. O'Brien's latest picture is a Paramount Picture is production.
Speaker 1: The Redhead and the Cowboy.
Speaker 2: Featured in tonight's cast were Herb Butterfield, Joe Devall, Virginia, Greg Edgar Barrier, Sidney Miller, and Peter Leeds. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed by him del Vaier. This nick cutting inviting you to join us next week at this time when Edmond O'Brien returns.
Speaker 1: As Yours truly Johnny Dalla.
Speaker 2: Do you know that there's one fire in an American home every twenty seconds.
Speaker 1: That fires killed.
Speaker 2: Eleven thousand people every year. Staggering, isn't ninety percent of fires and the home start through carelessness. Be careful with matches and keep them out of the reach of children. And if you're a careless smoker, don't smoke in bed or discard lighted cigarettes thoughtlessly.
Speaker 1: Don't gamble with fire.
Speaker 6: The odds are against you.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned now for five minutes of the latest mus This is CBS where our Miss Brooks holds classes every Sunday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System