Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Ensure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: And good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is my booer Frinday, Monday, Mike, Mike, Mike Monday, Mike Monday, Mike Quinn and our guy Monday, Juan Mann.
Speaker 2: Yes, how's your day? Good? You have Manna, it's been manic? Okay, good, good teach it you. I do teach it to you. One of them. I don't know if I'm them. I mean, it's like, what is what is that them? You're a week? Yeah, you're we like what everybody else slips slip, We're we. I'm on the inside.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get to check this as Arizona. Yeah you know, it's like and I can throw myself as a fan. Yeah you can, and so can one. No yes, and no difference for about three more months. Yeah, so that you can't. I can that your man. Technically, I'm still a student. Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, then there's a little a little bit of a little bit of you're well, you're you're we we was pretty good on Saturday. I thought they.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want to you want to go on that they played their best game of the year to me, Yeah, I'll tell you know, it's interesting because I think we said that last week too, uh.
Speaker 4: The year.
Speaker 2: And you read me? I mean you only did that is me. Yeah, I look for typos.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you he does because I get him. He is my editor, which I'm greatly appreciative. Every writer needs an editor. And thank you for you know, great story. But but yeah, however, how did you you know how was the play link?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, I said that in b YU last week. Great and I thought that was a great game on the road against a pretty good team.
Speaker 2: And then they upped it. Yeah, yeah, no, I think that they definitely did. I think that their their defense uh there there rebounding, which had been pretty suspect. Uh, their defense in the rebounding was outstanding. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen too many games, but you have seen a lot of games, but you haven't seen a lot of games in person like this.
Speaker 2: Uh, Juan, And.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say this, I'm trying to see Uh give me, give me, uh give me calebs Love's best game, just stop top your head, best game since he's been here.
Speaker 2: But I'm not sure if I could do that. I know it's it's hard. He's had some thirty three point games. Yeah, organ was.
Speaker 3: That memorable, but I mean we can't even remember it now, right, No, let me say something. I won't forget the day Henry Vsar almost collapsed and he was fantastic. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, he was, he was great, He was beat. He looked like I could just take a nap for like a week.
Speaker 2: But it's one of those things where he kind of looked like he sensed he could take over this game, and he kind of did. He did. There was there were portions of that game that he took over.
Speaker 3: It was like in both it was like me walking up eight Mountain and you know, three quarters away and I've never gone three courts away. It just being Jolie said, what the hell am I doing here? I'm going to go back home, but he continued to walk.
Speaker 2: He did. He didn't you see that he was almost ready to fall down. You were there, he was, I didn't, I was, I was.
Speaker 5: I was preoccupied writing two different stories and tweets and memes and we'll.
Speaker 2: Get to that in a little bit. But he was to me, he was he was, he was winded, but boy, I tell you what, it was one of those things where he you could tell that he sensed that he was going to be a pivotal player in this game, and he was. And he came up.
Speaker 3: Big walking shots, having done in the court, shooting three and guess what if he's one A, Waka was one B because Waka was fantastic too.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that. That's what I'm saying. On the boards. They were really playing them together, and I know that that was the one of the big storylines, like, no, were they ever going to play them together? They ever gonna play that. I don't know what he was waiting at for, uh. I know it was like, hey, when the gows to get hurt, it's you know, it's like going, hey, welcome to the ffeeded.
Speaker 3: It'd been fefeeded, actually very much. But he was like the I guess the woman with a chess era cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we go, our chance, here's our chance. Now's our chance. But it was it was it was his chance. And then they went in there and they absolutely dominated the glass against the team that is owned the pretty owned him on the glass in in uh in Lubbock. The it was, Yeah, it was really something I will say that you know, and and I and I commented on your article. Uh if if you could imagine a at the beginning of the year writing an article saying that we beat one of the top teams in the Big Twelve this late in the season. Uh, and never once mentioning Caleblove's name. Uh, I didn't, Yeah, you didn't. You didn't mention And I went through it a couple of times, and it's like, and it is true. It was one of those things where it's like I do believe Caleb was was pressing. There was that one sequence where uh, we just kept getting in the offensive rebound, kicking it out. Caleb, you know, would throw it up again and drive to the basket, and throw it up and then drive to the basket. We had hit three maybe four shots in a row that looked like he was just like going, I just gotta make one of these.
Speaker 3: It's funny because in the final moments, final two three minutes, I guess.
Speaker 2: Uh it was on up by eight maybe and uh.
Speaker 3: They got an offensive rebound. They kicked it to your example, to to Caleb, and they could just pull the back. They could have pulled it back right, They're gonna have to follow him anyway. But he shot it with the shot clock maybe five seconds in. Yeah, and they could just pull it back and waste another thing. Caleb is never gonna do that. Caleb's gonna get Caleb's stuff. He was open to his credit, but.
Speaker 2: You yeah, your time, you're right, Yeah, And he's done that over and over again. I did that last year. We lost a couple league games, or games got a little tighter when it was one of those seas. Its like we gotta we gotta lead late and Caleb's throwing it up. You know, bring it and place your voice on the phone. So let's call it. Get it good. Hello, you're on the air. Nine the ball? Who's this?
Speaker 6: Hey, David John Jones? How you don't buy ten?
Speaker 2: John? What do you got?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: So a couple of things.
Speaker 6: First of all, when you play good defense and you rebound the ball and you make free throws, it gives you a chance to win a lot of basketball games.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And when you are.
Speaker 6: In a very competitive league, it really does come down or in the sweet sixteen. It comes down to the little things, and it comes down to making free throws. You know, I loved Ballo, but I didn't feel like you could win a championship with a guy that you either couldn't play late or you couldn't count on to make free throws. And right now, you know, watching the team the star. When I watched him the first two years, he was a step step and a half slow on defense. He couldn't rotate, and so you weren't able to challenge shots. And because he was late, that's why he to me, he wasn't getting playing time. You know, now he's anticipating better, he's in position, and he's a rim protector, and he's playing he's playing like a dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And when you have that, that to me the whole team. The resurgence of the team this year has been really contingent on on the play of our big guys, you know, and as far as the conference goes, what's impressed me, to be honest with you guys, is watching the physicality of our team. You know, I think when you listen like a fran Priscilla, you listen to whomever they thought we were going to get exposed for being soft coming from the week Pat twelve and watch us dominate physical games. It's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Well, John, come on, realistically, I know you watched a lot of games.
Speaker 2: You've been around a long time. Didn't you think the same thing.
Speaker 6: No, to be honest with you, like I saw, there's what I noticed when he had Kerr, Krisa and the Europeans, we were soft. And when we when we played like Houston in the tournament, we got exposed for being soft. And I feel like when he brought in Jayden and kJ Lewis you know, love loves an enigma man like to what What what I saw is that we can win games in spite of love and not that he has to play well for us to win that collectively we're getting. We're getting good effort from a walk Waker is playing like a he's playing great. Carter Bryant is challenging.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, Steve, like I thought that we addressed getting tougher at the guards, and that's where.
Speaker 2: We were getting beat.
Speaker 6: Like Kerr wouldn't be able to stack up against text attach he would have gotten beating like a drum. The entire game. Number three would have went by him all game. And so to me, like, I feel like we're in a better position to defend than we've been in a long time, and playing in this conference. You know, we'll find out where we're at against Houston, but we're going toe to toe against you know, very physical teams.
Speaker 2: And we're going to blow for blow with them.
Speaker 6: And that that's what's impressed me the most with this team out of everything. That and and VS are taking a huge step forward.
Speaker 2: John, I think I think you hit the nail and headed when you said the word confidence. Okay, these guys, especially when you're talking about VS. Are he goes out there and he's playing with confidence, and it's like just turned the game around. I mean, he's out there, can make it. Everybody's yeah, yeah, they have, And I think a lot of it again with John, you know, agreeing with John said is like going they're doing it. They're looking they've been looking at Caleb, they've been looking at him to be the one. They realize, Looksten, we can do this too. And I think they're playing with a lot more confidence making a difference. Okay, we got to go.
Speaker 3: Thanks man, Thanks Thanks John, Thanks yeah, we agree.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think, like we said, confidence is what's what's helping this team right now. And they they even if they're down ten early or ten ten midway through the game, they don't look phazed at all right now.
Speaker 3: But they haven't been I mean, they haven't been ten. They haven't been down. I think we'll know tomorrow. Here's my thing, and I'll be totally honest and transparent with me. I haven't been I hadn't been impressed is not the word. I think they just hadn't played anybody for a while here in this in this streak. Well, they beat Baylor, so that was okay, that was a guy. And but they beat them at home it was like asterisk okay. And then they then they went on the road and they beat buy U.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I thought they'd lose that game. I think, did you say, yeah, okay, So so they win. I'm thinking, okay, maybe I've been a little you know, skewed here. And then they played Texas Tech. I thought they would win. In fact, I thought they would win by bird ten and and I've told it on the show, I think, and and then but how they beat them, it was it was great because they played physical and they didn't get you know, they get punched, and they'd come back and it was very impressive. So I've gone from maybe a four believer to like a seven believer. Now they played tomorrow, Even if they win or lose, it's tough to win on the road.
Speaker 2: I'll stay at seven. And if they beat.
Speaker 3: Houston at home, okay, maybe an eight because Houston's good. But guess where the game is. That's here in the security blanket of Michael. But but that shouldn't excuse me. So even if they played well or whatever, eight and then guess what happens. We're gonna turn to March here pretty quick. All bets are off, baby, yeah, off, Yeah. I mean it's all one and done because oh, we beat Houston or we beat what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, doesn't mean it.
Speaker 3: Last year when they were beating people like crazy when they came to Pleasant, what.
Speaker 2: Did it mean? Not a damn thing. Yeah, but you know that. The other thing, I think that they were beating a lot of nobody's in the packast last year. Yeah, last year they were. Yeah, I think they're beating somebody's. I think that they're now I think there are people there. I think the big twelves are going to have some teams that are gonna win some games in the tournament.
Speaker 3: Well didn't you think this when we started the season watching these guys and there were four or five or whatever, And we said it on nauseum with Bruce and everybody else that at some point or no, no, entering into the conference was going to be a perfect remedy for being tougher later on. Guess what, Well, sure, and it's happening. It is because it has to happen.
Speaker 2: Right right, You're not gonna get through this, you know, and and and not be tougher. Right, Okay, you don't get punched in the mouth in the in the PAC twelve. You know, everyone pats themselves on the back in the PAC twelve and then you get and you get done. But in this conference you're gonna get punching them mouth all the time. You got to keep doing it.
Speaker 3: And and you see it when you're not tweeting and you're up right, how much the refs let it go?
Speaker 2: They do, yeah, which is which is a good thing. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, because they will they're not gonna try and follow people wish you on the cherry. You know, you use a two shot foul and you get the ball back. Yeah. Here it's like play yeah exactly, Yeah, you know, no blood, no foul. Yeah. But I will tell you the difference. There's a definitely the difference between this, you know, obviously a difference between this team at four and five and then what they are now. Oh yeah, yeah, And I think I think what it was, and I think, you know, I mentioned it before, but it's like I think at four and five, this team was like looking at Caleb, you know, they were standing there looking at Caleb to do something. Yeah, And then I think not so much that they're like going, well, we don't need Caleb. They absolutely need Caleb, Okay, but there are other people that are like, hey, i'm pretty good too, Yeah, and if we play together, then we're gonna be pretty good.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're gotta go. We gotta go to Brick. We're gonna have Arnie Green from the Topeka Paper. Yeah, this is gonna be in cover. Kansas State has been partly covering the team for a long time. See what's expecting up there. And then the four o'clock hour, we're gonna have Michael Ebb from the Daily Start.
Speaker 1: Now are your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Credit that's credit Enter read right now Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino, del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yucky? Try?
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 9: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 10: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 11: Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan program to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh sixe eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, how to commitment to Lyndrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the un notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 14: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the leading.
Speaker 14: Card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 15: In sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 14: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 12: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Briccall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball Go Cats.
Speaker 16: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespies, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four Action Pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm.
Speaker 2: Join us at Keno.
Speaker 17: Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Keno Sports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch your league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement. Is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field.
Speaker 2: Whether you're a lifelong fan or just looking.
Speaker 17: For an unforgetable day out, The World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com. That's SASFA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 2: Fifty You know the money.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Whying the Ball Here at Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, and today with Mike Quinn now on the phone, we have Arnie Green from the Topeka Capital Journal.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, Arnie good?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 3: We're doing fine. Thanks for joining us. Let me ask you a quick question just for perspective. How long have you covered Kansas State and the league?
Speaker 18: Uh, actually sort of off and on since nineteen ninety eight, but the last pretty much full time in the last five years.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you I asked because you're a Caju veteran of just what goes on in the league. And we all know because we've seen from afar it's a great basketball league, of physical basketball league, and it's nothing's really changed from our end because it's exactly that.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I had even more good team with Arizona and obviously Houston last year and and pretty much every all of them that they've added our quality teams. So it's done nothing but made the league stronger.
Speaker 3: I think what's been what's been the rising the success of Kansas State lately?
Speaker 15: If I have in a row, well, UH.
Speaker 18: I kind of looked into those numbers because I was I was kind of curious myself because this is kind of the team I think people envisioned when at the start of the season there was a lot of talent, but they're just there was really just one player. David Gasson was really the only player that had had played meaningful minutes for k State, and pretty much of the returning guys the only one right now that's contributing. So I think it just has taken. It takes some teams, I guess a little bit longer to to gel and I think part of it is they're just now figuring things out. But that's the thing with with the transfer portal and everything. It just different teams, I guess figure it out it at different times, and it's taken this it's definitely taken a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you guys, guys, and then Kansas State UH plays the rival Kansas. UH does very well against it is Kansas. This is I don't want to knock anything. Are they just not as good as they used to be or Kansas play out of its mind or both?
Speaker 18: They're not They're not as good as some of these the Kansas teams I think of recent years.
Speaker 15: I think they're they're.
Speaker 18: Going through maybe some of the same things. They have a few more guys back, but it seems like getting their their pieces to fit has been been a struggle. This is just watching This doesn't look like a typical bill Self team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Kansas State, of course is playing very, very very over well, so up their game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So outside of the guy you mentioned, what else is working.
Speaker 15: Well? They're shooting the ball a lot better.
Speaker 18: I look through the five game winning streak, they're shooting forty eight percent.
Speaker 15: Overall, whereas in overall.
Speaker 18: For the in their twelve league games, they're shooting forty five percent, and they've up there three point shooting to forty three percent over the five games, and it was at thirty five percent for the whole for all the league games.
Speaker 15: So that's that's.
Speaker 18: Been one thing is they're they're shooting the ball better. They've turned the ball over a little bit less. They're they've been better in transition, which had been a problem all season.
Speaker 15: Uh, basically turnovers.
Speaker 18: They were losing the the points off turnover ball and they've been winning that lately.
Speaker 15: Just basically playing better all around.
Speaker 18: Also, Joam Tang. I think has shortened as bench quite a bit. Really, there's only six seven guys now that are are playing playing a lot of minutes. I think only one of the subs is averaging double figures in minutes. So the question is whether they can sustain that with with the with the short bench. They've had a few guys occasionally step in and do some good things, but all five of their starters now are averaging and double figures. But really they're not getting a whole lot consistently from.
Speaker 15: Anyone else other than C. J.
Speaker 18: Jones who started at point guard early in the season.
Speaker 2: They seem to have really balanced scoring as you mentioned. I mean everyone has been in double figures in this in this streak. The uh, I mean, where's the strength? Is there a strength in the you know the in the front court? They are they really good at the guards. Where's the strength of this team? And how do you think to follow on, how do you think that matches up with Arizona.
Speaker 18: I haven't seen Arizona a whole lot. I think it's just the way the way Arizona plays, it looks like it's not They don't go very big to start with.
Speaker 15: That should that should be a pretty good matchup case state they have probably there.
Speaker 18: I'd say the biggest difference has been the play of when Doug McDaniel, who was a Michigan transfer, he took over as the starting point guard I think for the first league game, and he's really been playing well. And then Coleman Hawkins, the transfer from Illinois.
Speaker 15: It's a six ' ten guy who is averaging.
Speaker 18: Between I think about four and a half five assists per game. He's not a huge scorer, but he is leading him and scoring during league play, and that he works really well with Gasan, who's about six eight six '.
Speaker 15: Nine, is more of a more of a low post guy.
Speaker 18: That he's such a good passer that that it's given Gason a lot of opportunities. We're talking and then, uh, I was gonna say, Brendon hasen Villanova transfer. If he gets going, he's a streaky three point shooter. But if he gets going, uh, look out.
Speaker 3: So I'll ask about Colin. We have a columnist coming in the next hour, but let me ask you this too. We're talking to Ernie Green from the Topeka Capitol Journal. Since you've covered the league a while now, and the team you say a coach is bringing the the uh, the roster down to about six or seven to play. Arizona's doing the same thing. How do they sustain this because it's so physical and it's not easy. It's not an easy physical, it's a tough physical. By the time March comes around.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think that's going to be the big question is whether they can whether they can play those kinds of minutes and.
Speaker 15: Keep it going that right now.
Speaker 18: Other than during the streak, the only close game they had was Arizona at Arizona State.
Speaker 15: I mean they've won the KU game the other day.
Speaker 18: It's an eight point game, but it was fifteen points late, so we made a little bit of a run. So they've really kind of dominated during the stretch, which you didn't see, and then they found a way to win at Arizona State.
Speaker 15: Not helped that.
Speaker 18: Arizona State miss missed two free throws at the end, but I mean those are the kind of games they were losing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, early on, So you guys are well are you guys because you're not part of the team, but three eleven and ten or twelve and eleven's like that.
Speaker 18: Twelve and eleven, No, that's their first time above five hundred since I think since in Gen. I'm trying to think if it was in December or January.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask you because I heard I was watching some of the highlights stuff from the weekend and now because you guys they're playing so well five and zero in the last five that people are talking NC Double A tournament.
Speaker 18: Yeah, we've asked them, and we also asked Bill self about that afterwards what he and basically, they've dug themselves quite a hole. I mean, if they can keep playing at this level, they have a chance, but they're gonna have They're at twelve and eleven. They definitely got some work to do if they can keep keep it up there. Definitely playing well enough. As Jang said, he thinks they could win games in the NC Double A tournament.
Speaker 15: But yeah, right now, resume is not there yet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Another thing, Arizona was rocking on Saturday night. It usually does for big games, and Texas Tech was a big game. I'm assuming that place is going to rock on tomorrow, right.
Speaker 18: It'll be interesting to see because really the Kansas game was their first sellout of the season. Because they they have struggled and especially with weak night games.
Speaker 15: I'm guessing it was.
Speaker 18: It was really loud Saturday, and I'm I mean in the past they have been. I'm guessing with Arizona's what a six game winning streak, and they're arguably the hottest team in the country right now. It'll be interesting to see if if the fans turn on. I'm sure with the students will because they've I think they've definitely bought in. But part of the problem with with Kansas State is you've got where they're located. They really count on people from out of town. And also we've got looks like snow in the forecast starting tomorrow night, so that may keep some people home, but.
Speaker 15: I would expect it to be a pretty good crowd.
Speaker 2: So are these are I'm sure to interrupted, But are these new teams Arizona this year, He's last year. Are they still kind of considered strangers, kind of coming to dinner or is it you kind of sense the Big twelve ish rivalry already?
Speaker 18: Well, I don't know that they've developed any specific rivalries yet. It's kind of early for that, but I think I think people are excited about having the new teams.
Speaker 15: And then of course Texas and.
Speaker 18: Oklahoma leaving who have been in the league for long since, well Oklahoma way longer, but since Texas since the Big twelve for him in ninety six.
Speaker 3: So you you you covered the way you've been there since ninety eight. I can't remember. Arizona hasn't played these guys too much. I remember covering him in the late maybe ninety nine, two thousands, Tom Tom something Tom. He was a big coach, Tom maybe mar Berry. What's his name, tom Asbury Asbury Asbury?
Speaker 15: Oh that was now we're going backways.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it was a good guy. It turned out to be a friend of mine. He was helping with officials here. I guess in twenty fourteen Kansas State played the issue, so the juve, so the rivalry, the meetings haven't been much.
Speaker 18: No, that was the only In fact, I think that's the only one in this millennium, because I think before before that, the last game I think was ninety nine.
Speaker 15: I looked at up.
Speaker 2: That must have been the tom asbro Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 18: But I think what they played in Maui and uh two thousand and fourteen. I think he brought them in ninety that was yeah, and that was the year. I don't think I was covering them, so.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, so before you go, what do you think is gonna happen tomorrow? Give me a prediction if you got one in you.
Speaker 18: I did, Yeah, I did my prediction for my story earlier, and I picked. I picked Arizona by five, I think like seventy eight to seventy three or something. Now I'm starting to become a believer in this case state team. But I think Arizona has showed over a longer stretch. Plus I think maybe I don't it looked like their non conference schedule, they didn't look their record wasn't that good that I've got to think that really toughen them up for this league because they've just run right through the through this league and I don't see any real sign of them.
Speaker 3: Well, I applaud you because you're a true journalist, not going on not am not a homer one because I'm the same wait with Arizona. I've covered the team since in ninety one as a journalist. Now I'm on the radio and I'm not a believer of this Arizona team. Although I'm headed in that direction, I guess, and like I say, well no, in March because that's when it all matters, like at Kansas, it all matters in March.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well, I think this would definitely If Case State can, I would consider it's still an upset if they can. If they can win this game, then that would definitely help their resume. I do know that three of their five games during the streak have come against the wins that come against ranked teams or teams that were ranked at the time. West Virginia, Iowa States still up there, and then Kansas. They have played played well against some pretty decent teams. But I just don't know that they've come up against the likes of Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you appreciate your time, good luck, stay warm over there, and we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 15: Okay, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I appreciate good stuff. I'm not too sure he doesn't believe it. And then but they're five, and they're five, and oh the last five Arizona is what they are? Seven and the last seven. Yeah, it should be a fun game. It's gonna be crazy, yeah, I mean, it's not gonna be a pushover. I mean, you know, if you'd asked us a couple of weeks ago, this would be like a nothing game.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like this really is a it's gonna be a tough one. I think it away out snowstorm to keep people away. Probably probably, I mean darkness. Yeah, Arizona people. Well, that's Manhattan. Kansas is not like Manhattan, New York. It's not Manhattan, New York. It's definitely not Manhattan, New York. Right, you got to count on the people out of town. Oh yeah, I've been to Manhattan, Kansas and tell I think I've driven through to get to Lawrence. But yeah, I mean, you know, it's like different. No, they're there, big hotel is like the Fairmont Airfield, you know, in sweets. Uh, you know, I mean good hard working people. I mean, I don't want to say that things about my hand Kansas, but they're not a lot there. Yeah, okay except for college basketball. College basketball. Now there is college basketball there, you know, and you got the big red one fort Rally, But for Riley, Kansas is there. I think it's still named for Rally or it will be again, Uh, depends on how things going. We don't want to get into that. That's opening up a very different can of worms. But but you know, you said, there's you gotta try, Like he said, you got to travel in there to to get there. I don't know if they're going to be That's what I was kind of trying to get at. I don't I don't see the passion for people to race in a snowy night to get to.
Speaker 3: They They did a Cincinnati and West Virginia the same issue. There was a really bad weather and Mildred this watching from home that paps beer and give it to Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, hey, okay, yeah, Arizona's a good team, but you know, we'll watch them in March. You know, that was kind of interesting thing.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Kansas Cate either that much, but he hadn't seen Arizona And yeah, I got a stamp ten o'clock or twelve o'clock to watch them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's sing about it. I mean, no one's staying up that late, especially not Arnie, Yes, especially not me. Let's go, we gotta take a break.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about this, maybe take a a couple of calls or two. If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 19: Com, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher Here, I gotta tell you about my winning team Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance, called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four A H three five five one.
Speaker 12: Four four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tuson Steven Arry here, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back in a home home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health. Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 11: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot Tuson.
Speaker 12: It's time for the Call of Garden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the nines at La Palon Country Club and the Weston La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisador's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to.
Speaker 12: Join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the uses and os. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back towing the ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty Im Si Vera and today with me is.
Speaker 2: Look talkative Mike Quinn. Yeah, it's it's like, hey, you're not saying anything. Hey, you're saying too much. You need to be the just right person. Yeah, that's why I have one. Was exactly whin to talk because I give him the God Yeah, exactly exactly. He's open for a little bit of Well when I first got here, I never got I never got the high sign and it was never my turn.
Speaker 5: It was like he needs the Goldie LI likes not too too had to yes, right, beauty sleep over here.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hey, if you guys want to call and kind of eat up our time, that's why too five two, four, one, six, seventy four forty Uh. We already have John come in with a pretty good call at the beginning of the show. Your thoughts on the win on Saturday night, What a great game. The crowd is rocking, man, crowd is rocking and the Texas Tech coach, Uh said exactly that. I thought he was spot on. I thought he was very great with his insight too. Oh yeah, and very gracious loser.
Speaker 5: I feel like a lot of of the coaches that I've come to, Michael Ye have said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is the first time it actually had merit to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I mean it was even with the the fire, the fire panic alarm or whatever that happened pregame, and that crowd was ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they stood that entire I think it was a ten minute delay, it was, it was. It was a good night. Yeah. Yeah, I heard the coach was pretty good, gracious, gracious, Yeah, yeah he was. Uh he was in in our grill. Yeah yeah, Hey, you and I and the ball who is this? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And Henry uh Howard and Steve Trust.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because I was listening to Jefferies make the call because I don't watch it on TV.
Speaker 6: Is I don't get it at home?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he goes he's averaging ten points. I'm already predicted he's good by the end of a conference plays in me averaging over thirteen and that was before the last game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, he's fantastic. If you didn't see it, I don't know how how Brian.
Speaker 4: Didn't he dumped, he dumped. I know, he got a couple of dumb No.
Speaker 3: How did he describe how he was playing, because he was playing out of his mind?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just said he got a couple of days Henry gets the ball, don't say, oh slams at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't but I don't know if you can sustain it, because he had he had been very good and then he wasn't for a while and now he was.
Speaker 4: But you because I got the before even played, I got the scouting report from you, Steve and and the and the like that he was. You know, he was a highly recruited guy. He was supposed to be pretty good. But if you you know, I always talked to Jay and you, the big guys just take.
Speaker 2: A while to get going. A lot of these Euros.
Speaker 4: They have they play a lot more involved and and you know, on a.
Speaker 2: Higher level than than you know.
Speaker 4: Then the high schools can provide here in the States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Vic kind of texted me about this too when I first saw Henry and I spoke to him at the media day, and you can see him play, and you can see him move. He had a lot of fluidity. He could run run the court very well. He had a lot of skills. If you remember, I haven't written the story because I don't know if it's out there, but when he was younger, when he was younger, had to be about twelve thirteen, he's he was a smaller dude, and then he had this huge gold spurt, so he had to learn how to handle the ball.
Speaker 2: He was a gardish yeah.
Speaker 3: And and and then then all of a sudden he became this seven footer and so he had those skills.
Speaker 2: So he handles it all well. He's very mobile around the basket. He's just a dude, yep.
Speaker 6: And Vic's saying he really likes I remember last week when he was saying it that I was mentioning to you and Jay on Friday that Vick says, yeah, he's got to get the ball underneath and gunk and blah blah blah. We know he's doing that, but how what Howard says? And of course Steve could be Yeah, if he hits those threes, it's always gravy and he's a lot of games, he said, five hundred percent because he only takes.
Speaker 2: Two or one.
Speaker 4: Thousand percent because he only takes one and hits it. Yeah, so and that's that's that's pretty doable. He doesn't need to take more than that.
Speaker 3: Sure, Sure, it's just the time and circumstances of those three.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: And I think he's only going to get take some more shots and you warm ups and practice, and I think he'll be good, well off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, thanks for going to the show on Friday for a show at the Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because hey, Vick, we missed you. I was expecting to see you there.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, thanks, all right, appreciate it takes the call. Yeah. I think part of the thing too is ugo. We got another call? Cool, Hello, you're on the air.
Speaker 2: Nine on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 15: This is Frank.
Speaker 20: Can you hear me in the car?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hey Frank? Hey Frank?
Speaker 6: Hey, Well is that real?
Speaker 15: The what is it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 20: Eight victories?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Seven, ten, ten and the big twelve?
Speaker 20: I don't know, is it real?
Speaker 2: How does it feel? How does it feel?
Speaker 20: It feels unreal? After the how they started and uh, and you know we down this road before Usually it's the other way around that they win, you know, ten or twelve games, you know, unscathed. Uh, and then and then they go into a dump.
Speaker 2: So I like it.
Speaker 20: I'm gonna enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So you believe in this team, I mean, are you you? Are you a believer?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 20: I don't know that I'm believer when I've been when we get to the n c A. As you know, we've been down this most too many times. So uh, they say they still rely too much on the three pointier. When the three pointers out there there, they can be a little lost, and uh, luckily they've recovered and won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll see what happens. You know, you sound like jam the football program. You've been sneaking enough times. You're not too shy about or not too keen about following them.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 20: You know one thing earlier worried about. It seems like I cleaned it up a little bit was the beginn bounds pass, you know after a made basket. They were having a lot of time with that, a lot of trouble with that. So I hope that they've they've solved that problem because that's gonna hurt of if they get the other team gets a few steals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what happens. Yeah, okay, thanks Frank, thanks for calling. Appreciate it.
Speaker 20: Frank, you take care, Take care.
Speaker 16: Bye.
Speaker 3: Anybody else want to call? We saf some time? Right, we had about five minutes. You know, we can go to the end of the hour. I didn't realize this. We can go as long as we want, but that time takes up on the top ends, so you know, same time, I guess. Yeah, okay again, if you'd like to call five two oh four one, six seventy four forty Big game tomorrow. Kind of reviewing Saturday's game, I'm kind of like doing looking forward and looking back as well. But I was thinking, this is one of those games, like Tuesday Nights games where everybody had a hand in it. Like you said, I didn't mention love, and all the other hands were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no they were. I mean, and you you could see it there. It's like everybody's stepping up and uh and making pleasure. I will tell you some right now. This team has been running on a waka, you know, I mean, it's his energy, his energy, the fact that like underneath you know, you can kind of him getting a board uh, get the hell out of the way. I'm coming in. Yeah, it's it really is one of those things where you sit there and it's like you, you know, hopes are down and then there's a waka, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really something else. You gotta call who's this? We don't if you want to call back, please, we do.
Speaker 2: Gotta go. Who's this?
Speaker 7: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's the one issed you Friday? Obviously you heard.
Speaker 21: How I know? Man, I just couldn't make it down there. I definitely get down to the next one though, when you have it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's you one of your thoughts?
Speaker 21: So my thoughts are and this is a Twitter pool question for you, Steve and Mike. What's a bigger Advantag's the Crevious injury or the Gayden Delora injury.
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd say the Delora the Delora, Yeah, because that kind of transformed the whole program.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you.
Speaker 3: And we won't know we won't know the results of the Creevious thing until you know, six weeks, seven weeks, whatever weeks.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's very true. But uh hey, but I'm gonna tell you. I'm gonna give you props again. You called it that over a year ago. You said Henry was a stud and and it's come to fruition.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy.
Speaker 3: You know, I even asked you and the press commas and I said, how do you how do you have this seven foot string.
Speaker 2: Bean become a beast? Because I walk is beast.
Speaker 3: But Henry was a big, thin beast Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 21: But see he's dunking everything. He I mean, we haven't had a guy that's gone to the ring dunk stuff like that for a long long time.
Speaker 3: And I didn't even tell you maybe maybe and he was just this thing was Lauren Woods.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, probably exactly. I'll tell you what that another guy laying it up, even bollow a strong and he was would lay it up and get swatted.
Speaker 2: And yeah it'll fall down. He fall down up. Yeah that time. That the time that he reaches out and slams it, you know, I mean that stepping like what did I call him stretch armstrong, which was a great, great reference unfortunately was on Twitter and no one read it the as we were mentioning. But Vic, You're absolutely right. I mean, it's he's he he he goes to dunk the ball. I mean, O, what a what a concept for a seven footer. You know, it's like he's not playing games, he's making the basket exactly so.
Speaker 21: And then see if you asked about what's been the turnaround, and everybody said everything from love to Tommy. But the biggest thing is that previous injury and Henry coming into his own.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean certain things happened for a reason, right, and this may have happened.
Speaker 2: For a reason.
Speaker 21: Yeah. So, but great show.
Speaker 6: Man, you guys later.
Speaker 2: Thanks about that. Thanks.
Speaker 3: We might know. No more calls. We've got about two minutes, three minutes. If you guys want to call, we got one more quick call in. If not, you can call us on the other side of the hour. We have breaking news. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff to talk about. We ain't even talked about.
Speaker 2: Na say, it's like anything else happened this weekend. This is a local show man, this little it is local. Yeah, you know the super Bowl, It's like when it's is everything. How many times did they say America and that super Bowl in the in the lead up. I don't know if you watch the My wife watched the four and a half hour lead up to that thing. It's like, oh my god, yeah, more than sport. It's like, yeah, more than Taylor Swift. Yeah, okay, no, it didn't count anyway. Okay, yeah, no, no.
Speaker 3: If you want to listen to the other stuff, the super Bowl, that's another channel. Yeah something, we're local late breaking. We are, so we have a late breaking, we have break your News by Juan and then we're gonna have Michael lev at the other side.
Speaker 2: You know. He said we sat.
Speaker 3: Next to each other for the game, we think alike, which is kind of scary. I didn't read this call slowly. I typed this slowly because I know you read slowly. Okay, let's go before I insult you.
Speaker 15: Boy.
Speaker 4: Yes,