Speaker 1: Welcome back, everyone, and happy holidays. Welcome back to Crash Course Pot. I'm your host, ash Tony, and we're tackling the titans of the late nineties pop explosion. Five guys, over one hundred million records sold, and a vocal harmony that defined a generation.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 1: Now. It's easy to look back at the matching white outfits and the choreographed moves and think teen idols, but Backstreet Boys is a fascinating case study.
Speaker 2: In the music industry.
Speaker 1: How did a group put together by a suspicious Ponzi scheme mobile in Orlando, Florida become the biggest band in the world, And more importantly, how are they still selling out arenas thirty years later when so many of their peers faded away.
Speaker 2: Let's dive in so a little bit of history on this episode.
Speaker 1: I did an episode already on boy bands.
Speaker 2: It was a two part episode actually earlier in this.
Speaker 1: Season of Crash Course Pod, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we kind of covered Backstreet Boys briefly.
Speaker 1: However, since that time, specifically maybe a week ago now, maybe ten days. I don't know specific numbers, but my love for the Backstreet Boys has been reopened they re released I want it that way. What is the name, because anyone us I want it that way. I think that's what it is, But they re released I want it that way vertical. I talk all about it on my actual podcast, The Journey into Creating People Life Media. The links are below if you want to hear that episode where I break down my whole fascination and the.
Speaker 2: Reawakening of the nostalgia for Backstreet Voice. But anyways, for this quick little tidbit of back history on this episode.
Speaker 1: Saw the music video, went down memory lane for every song they ever produced, watched nearly every interview, and I've just been so obsessed with the Backstreet Boys lately, not to mention, they're a hot topic literally on social media.
Speaker 2: Everyone's talking about the Backstreet Voice. They're just making their second round or third round on the internet again, and I feel like it's what better time or what better person to talk about group than the Backstreet Voice.
Speaker 1: So that's what we are in this that's where we are in this rather, so let's talk about their origin story. Understand, the Backstree Boys. We have to go back to nineteen ninety three in Orlando. I was two years old by the way, and I didn't know that their group went back that far. I literally thought they came out in ninety eight, but apparently they've been out since ninety three.
Speaker 2: So the group was the brainchild of Lou Pearlman.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know everyone has their thoughts on Lou Pearlman, but we're gonna keep it strictly music this episode.
Speaker 2: If you want the tea on Lou Pearlman, there's plenty of T channels that dissect it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna skip past the shadiness of everything and stick straight to the music. And like I said, Lou is a name that comes up a lot in music history, often for the wrong reasons.
Speaker 2: But he had a vision for a new edition style group with the Florida Twist.
Speaker 1: He found aj McLean first, my Favorite, then Howie Dereaux and Nick Carter. Eventually Kevin Richardson joined and he brought his cousin from Kentucky, Brian Latreux, to round out the sound. They weren't just faces, they were vocalists and if you hear them live today, definitely can stamp that vocalism.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a word, but that vocalism in their voice.
Speaker 1: They spent their early days, singing a cappella at high schools and shopping mass But.
Speaker 2: Here's the twist.
Speaker 1: America wasn't buying it yet, Grunge was still king, so their management made a bold move, the European Pivot. They sent the boys to Germany and the UK, and while the US was still listening to Nirvana, No Shade I Love Nirvana, Europe was falling in love with these.
Speaker 2: Five guys from Florida.
Speaker 1: By the time they released their self titled International debut in nineteen ninety six, they were already superstars Abroad. Now released in nineteen ninety five, While it was part of the ninety six album, it was technically their debut single. So fun fact We've Got It Going On flopped in the US, peaking at number sixty nine, but it was a top ten hit in Germany and Switzerland, which is actually what triggered the European pivot that I mentioned. So Yeah released in ninety five, but it was part of the ninety six album.
Speaker 2: To make that clear. The Imperial phase, I would say was.
Speaker 1: Between nineteen ninety seven and two thousand and one. By nineteen ninety seven, the US finally caught on why are we the.
Speaker 2: Last to catch you on to gold.
Speaker 1: Anyways, this is what I call the Imperial phase because Bakshi Boys wasn't just on the charts, they were the charts, and a huge part of that.
Speaker 2: Was the Marx Max Martin sound.
Speaker 1: If you're a regular listener of this podcast, I'm sure you know that Max Martin is the.
Speaker 2: Architect of modern pop.
Speaker 1: I think we talked about him in last week's Stojakat episode if I'm not mistaken. He used what we call mathematical pop, focusing on phonetic sounds and melodic math over literal lyrical meaning think about quit playing Games with my heart, or Everybody Backstreets Back, and on Everybody Backstreets Back. It was actually co produced by his mentor, Dennis Pop. Anyway, These songs were designed to be stuck in your head before the first chorus.
Speaker 2: Even ends so quickly.
Speaker 1: I want to play this clip that I saw on YouTube because I feel like it efficiently describes what I'm talking about now. This strictly is about the percussion, but I feel like the engineering of the sound and the beasts go hand in hand with the lyrics being one of those things that gets stuck in your head and gets you hyped before the chorus. So this clip says, ever noticed Backstreet Voice used the same percussion in all of these songs, so let's hit it. So you see what I mean, very catchy sounds that just gets you moving. They solved the mathematical equation with that percussion. So the factory where this sound was born was Kran Studios in Stockholm.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm saying it right. Karn Studios.
Speaker 1: Anyways, nineteen ninety nine millennium, this album was a juggernaut.
Speaker 2: I was eight at this time.
Speaker 1: It sold one point one three million copies in its first week, and at that time, this was the highest first week sales total since sound Scan started tracking in nineteen ninety one. It held that record until n Sync broke it a year later with no strings attached. Fun fact, I'm sure all of us fans know this, but n Sync and Backstreet Boys were literally both ran by Lou Pearlman, so it's giving Kendrick versus the other artist and which literally played for the same team, but the media pits them against each other to boot boost sales. Anyways, en Sync broke that a year later with no strings attached, So think about that in today's streaming terms. With them selling one point one three million copies in its first week, It's almost unfathomable.
Speaker 2: This was also the.
Speaker 1: Era of the great divine backsheet boys versus N Sync. It was like the Beatles versus the Stones of the Y two K era.
Speaker 2: You had to pick a side. So that's what I'm saying. It's giving that same.
Speaker 1: Energy and literally under the same label, under the same manager. So yeah, that is Hella numbers one point one three million copies in its first week.
Speaker 2: They were an.
Speaker 1: Icon on you guys, I'm telling you, I'm telling you, so I want it that way.
Speaker 2: Let's pause on this track. Why does I want it that way? Still work?
Speaker 1: You know? Rumor has it that the lyrics famously make no sense. Even Chrissy Teagan has questioned the meaning, to which the band offered a cryptic response, AJ MacLean stated, it means whatever each individual's interpretation is. So there was a leaked, alternative, alternate version of this song, and it features the opposite message.
Speaker 2: I love it when I hear you say I wan it that way, and I added to the confusion to be honest.
Speaker 1: The song's opening guitar riff was inspired by Metallica's Nothing Else Matters.
Speaker 2: And weirdly, I Want It that Way was.
Speaker 1: Banned in China and twenty eleven for bypassing a mandatory screening.
Speaker 2: Process, So.
Speaker 1: The confusion behind the song is hilarious because the song's lyrics were initially considered too abstract by both the band and the record company.
Speaker 2: I want to go through these lyrics with you, guys. I hope I have enough time to have about like two minutes.
Speaker 1: So you are my fire, the one these I believe when I say, ah wan.
Speaker 2: That way, we are to the world depart.
Speaker 1: Can't read to your hot when you say that I want it that way.
Speaker 3: Tell me why ain't nothing but a heartache? Tell me why ain't nothing but a mistake? Tell me why I never want to hear you say I want it that way?
Speaker 2: Am I your fire? Your one deeps higher?
Speaker 3: Your son? No, it's too late, but I want it that way. Tell me why ain't nothing but a heartache? Tell me why I ain't nothing about a mistake? Tell me why I never want to hear say I want it that way. Now I can see that we falling apart from the way lady used to be. Yah, No matter the distance won't you know that deep down inside me, you are my fire, the one deep desier you.
Speaker 2: Are, you are, you are, you are. Don't want to say, ain nothing but.
Speaker 3: A hertay, ain nothing but a mistake.
Speaker 2: I never want to.
Speaker 3: Hear you say I wanted dad way. Tell me why ain't nothing about hot? Tell me why ain't nothing about a mistake? Tell me why I never want to hear say I wanted it that way?
Speaker 2: And then it repeats.
Speaker 1: Can we get a round of applause for that? I, honestly, in my little child eight year old mind or maybe nine year old mind, thought that the song was about a breakup, like maybe a cheating scandal and a breakup, or maybe like there was a breakup and they want to get back together. That's what I always thought it was, until everyone said the lyrics are too cryptic, and I'm like, I always thought I understood exactly.
Speaker 2: What it meant.
Speaker 1: But now that everyone's confused, maybe I'm confused too. Regardless, the lyrics famously make no sense, but the chorus contradicts itself. But the melody is scientifically perfect, as we heard with the percussion, It's the gold standard of the era. It's a masterclass on how a song can feel emotionally resonant even if the logic isn't there. And then, like I said, they actually recorded a logical version of the.
Speaker 2: Song, which with different.
Speaker 1: Lyrics, but they were because they were worried about the contradiction. But they decided the nonsensical version sound better and apparently it has billions of views on YouTube. So behind the scenes things went dark. The group discovered that Lou Pearlman had been skimming millions off the top. He was essentially their sixth member when it came to the paycheck, but he wasn't doing the work. And so then there was a whole lawsuit which fueled the turning point and the loss of innocence for the band, or realization that the industry can be as predatory as glamorous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, after some personal hurdles and health scares, they took a hiatus and in the early two thousands a lot of critics wrote them off.
Speaker 1: But in two thousand and five they did something interesting and released Never Gone. This was their rock light era, and they traded the dance routines for live instruments and a more organic sound.
Speaker 2: Honestly, they were growing up and.
Speaker 1: Were determined to take their audience with them rather than chasing the next trend. So if you guys liked this conversation, join me on the next episode where I finished this conversation and we round out Part two of The Backstreet Voice. For more information and for ways to click my other links for entertainment, all of the details are down below.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in.