Speaker 1: This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seifeld, The One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount.
Speaker 2: Well, if you never forget anything, tell me this what colored tie am I wearing? You are wearing a red and white striped club tie in a half winter or not?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I am am? I is that what you think? Well, if that is what you think, I have something to tell you, something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows. I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Speaker 3: That was pretty good, Pretty good.
Speaker 1: I wasn't trying too hardy or sore throat. This is Guy on Springfield, a review of margin chains here on four Finger Discount.
Speaker 3: I'm Dan O, he is, I'm Guy on Springfield, and yes, welcome to the podcast. That is wesp quiet. Yeah, I hope that worked hurt my ears quite a lot. I didn't clip the audio too bad. Welcome to Margin Chains and Guy on Springfield. Yeah, what do you think of this episode? Just quickly, I didn't like this one as much as I've liked previous Guy on Springfield's right, there's a lot to love about the episode. There's also as a parent, now there's a lot you can relate to, particularly in that opening act. But for me, March episodes, especially when I was younger, there were never ones that I gravitated towards. There were never ones that I went oh, oh bye a March episode, right. Same with Lisa. As I get older, I've said that I, you know, find that I'm more lucky Lisa than I realized when I was younger, And that's because the writers use her as their voice, and I think I'm just getting older and becoming a middle aged man. But the other thing with March episodes is that I always found them quite boring. Now, being a someone who's lived.
Speaker 1: The stay at home dad podcast a lifestyle for the last couple of years, I can really relate to someone in Marge's position and situation and see the simplicity of her character, and I can really relate to those kind of elements that I when I was younger I thought were really boring.
Speaker 3: But now I go, hey, that's it's just like me. Okay. So essentially what you're saying is you've grown out of your hatred of and contempt for women.
Speaker 1: Not quite great out of it, Okay, getting there.
Speaker 3: Good. It's good that you're a work in progress. The reason I asked that is, I mean, I was, you know, cruising around the internet, as you know, I was cruising the I was surfing the net as the kids like to say, and found that there was a bit of disdain for this episode, certainly from a particular sort of forum and that talks about the Simpsons a lot.
Speaker 1: There was like when was this forum? Was this a recent forum? Was this one from the nineties? I don't think it was from the nineties. Okay, because there are some ones on like Simpson's Archive and things like that, we can actually go on and see what people thought of the episode when it first came out, which are really interesting to go back and read.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm not going to name names or throw any particular side, but they were not.
Speaker 1: They throw the review out there, then we can name names who didn't like it.
Speaker 3: It was no Homers, No.
Speaker 1: Homes's not y Yeah. Friends of the pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah. There was a lot of yeah talk on there about it. I didn't like this episode at all. Yeah, and for what reason? They had various reasons. I think they One of the main issues that people had was they thought that it was quite actually misogynistic, and I think they was specifically focusing on the seeming glee that our Poo and s took in taking their march with one line in particular, we can talk about a little bit later, putting the bitch on ice, the bitch on ice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't see it as misogynistic because if I'm watching this and I've got a whole bit about this, I see a Pooh and Sanjay as the real vielains of this episode. They're the ones you're not supposed to like, I don't think because I think it. Poo's despicable throughout this and it's just completely ridiculous length. He's willing to take this for someone who he knows much, right, he knows so well, is one of his best customers. They granted they do have snakes steel his store, right, that's karma. But I don't think it's enough calm and to justify us to not forgive approve for us to go, oh, well, at least he got what was coming to him. I don't think it's enough because you know in the next episode he's getting his store back.
Speaker 3: That's true. Now, Having said that, they do allude to the fact that the QUICKI Mart does have a pair and Company. I hope I'm not stepping on one of my trivia questions. I don't know. To counteract this claim and misogyny, I would maybe have that pair and company, like going down hard on our poo and sign Jay saying no, no prosecute, we don't negotiate with terrorists kind of deal. You need to show that, you do need to show.
Speaker 1: I know they did throw it in there because this was the first episode ever written by Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Probably my favorite showrunners in the history of The Simpsons. My peaky of the Simpsons for me personally is season seven and eight, and that's when they were in charge of the show. I just think that's when the show was at its best. This is the first one they wrote. Apparently, They're Ripped was very different to what we got in the end, which I'm going to delve in a little bit further now, Bill and Josh they did throw that they're sticklers for details, and they threw in that line about the parent company, probably for that reason to go it's not just a pooh yeah, But there wasn't enough to sort of he was going along with it weight he seemed to be enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, that's what was annoying me. Way too much satisfaction in the Downfall of March. Yeah, everybody was.
Speaker 1: Everyone just jumped off the bam bag and threw under a bus, and it's like, yes, yes, she accidentally had a bottle of bourbon in her pocket.
Speaker 3: That's for me.
Speaker 1: What this is My negative of the episode was it felt a bit far fetched the lengths in which this town and the people were going to to hammer down Marge for accidentally having a bottle of bourbon in her pocket. To the point where I'm going in the in reality, right, I know, this isn't reality, it's the Simpsons, it's Springfield. But are we supposed to believe that a she would be even be found guilty, there would even be a court case? Really for this one, there's no prize, and like someone like Judge Schneider would actually send this mother of three children to prison for it. It just it just seems silly.
Speaker 3: This kind of ties into suding I want to talk about, because yeah, there's been a lot of to do about the Simpsons predicted this and the Simpsons predicted that, and this is regarded a very pressioned episode in terms of like, oh, well the ohsaka blue equals COVID nineteen or tweet twenty.
Speaker 1: This episode went viral because that people were replacing asaca flu with coronavirus. Actually, yeah, people, we've mentioned it recently a lot. People don't fact check anymore. I'm not saying news websites in particular, but just fans, you know, even just people in general, they go, oh, the Simpsons predicted it. I had so many people sending me my personal friends who don't really follow the Simpsons. They're Simpsons fans, they watch the show when they're kids, but they're not diehard Simpsons fans. They go, did you see the Simpsons predicta the coldplay thing? And I go, do I have to explain to everybody? I'm like, by the end, I was just doing the laugh react you know, I couldn't. Of course, I couldn't be bothered explaining it, And I don't want to be that guy. Go, well, actually it's actually not real. You don't want to be comic book comic book guy.
Speaker 3: No, exactly.
Speaker 1: So this one went viral because people were thinking they actually predicted coronavirus, not just a flu like actual coronavirus. Ifn it wasn't like a term in ninety three, right? But then also, what was the other thing that the killer bees as well?
Speaker 3: Was another one? Yeah, killer Bee's equal murder hornets, and the riot.
Speaker 1: At the end equals I guess the Black Lives Matter, any any uprising in the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What I'm thinking is the whole town turning against Marge is kind of emblematic of a town that's on the edge. It's having its nerves frayed by Oh, there's this virus going around. Everybody's sick, nobody's feeling good. Everybody's kind of on the razor's edge, you know, about to sort of snap, and the town needs escapegoat. You see it, When all these people are outside, doctor hippensaf are saying, well, you want a cure, We want to cure it's like flu, you just need bed rest. No, no, give us bos anything to be a placebo. Where can we get this with ebos? Yeah, everybody is just really tightly wound, and so when something say element to it, Look, that's maybe a stretch on my part, but that's maybe how I choose to read it. But yeah, when something goes wrong and everyone has an opportunity to go not necessarily, Oh she's the cause of other problem. Oh here's something we can focus our anger on. Here's something we can maybe all agree on, even if it's the most tenuous of reasons. So that's one way of looking at it.
Speaker 1: Certainly, I'm watching this going by the end of it. I asked myself the question, what was the point of this episode? What were they going for? Because the episode is called Margin Chains, and I feel that this episode would have been pitched as Marge goes to prison, Josh Bill go write that. Yeah, and apparently they did a lot of research.
Speaker 3: They did a lot of women in prison research. I'm wondering what that might have actually entailed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a lot of realism to it. And maybe that explains why for an episode that's called Margin Chains and marketed as the one where Marge goes to jail.
Speaker 3: She's not in jail all that much.
Speaker 1: She doesn't get to jail till like the final six or so minutes, and even then there's barely any scenes in the prison that much. And we get introduced to characters like Phillips and Annie, but not enough substance there for us to develop any form of connection to these characters. They're just sort of there and very forgettable, to the point where I was going, should she had just even gone to prison at all in the end?
Speaker 3: Anyway? I mean, look, I'm not saying this is how you could have done it. It could have been interesting that everybody in all these women in prison are basically in prison because they've just been pushed to the edge by either having to do with dead bee dudes or life pressures or something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, Phillips alludes to that, you know, she's got a shitty husband and that she's stared with the Phillips head screwdriver.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're right. I mean, for the episode being titled margin chains, not a lot of chains.
Speaker 1: It's the one where Marge goes to jail. That's what it's marketed, That's what it's known for. It's the one where Marge goes to prison, but she we don't even really see her response and her having to learn to live the prison life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not it's not exactly an episode of Orange is the New Black. I mean, for all of it being called margin chains. I really view this as a line of Lart episode. Yeah, or just attribute to Phil Harmon episode because he's just got this forgrific one two punch of some great Troy McClure stuff and some really great Lionel Hut stuff. Yeah, it's not really a Marge centric episode at all. She's kind of the I guess, the catalyst for some events, but she's almost like a yeah, second or third string player.
Speaker 1: I was watching this feeling like this is actually very similar to our last guy On spoof for The Boy Who Knew Too Much. A lot of it is court case based.
Speaker 3: There we go, something.
Speaker 1: Happens in the start, we get a whole act about a court case, and then in the end it's just kind of like, eh, but other stuff happens. It's like, oh, Marge, I've cooked it. I was like, it's like the sixteen minute market. Now Marge is only fine to go into prison, and even there she doesn't seem all that bothered by it. The family's like, oh, we'll miss you. It's just I know that a kind of somewhat emotional moment in the court room, but I don't know, it just felt like it wasn't that big of a dealer, mar just being taken away for thirty days.
Speaker 3: It's not so much her going to jail as the smear on her reputation as well. I mean, yeah, the way that particularly hell and love Helen loved you, agg.
Speaker 1: I mean she is also to me, I've always seen her as a villainesque character. Oh yeah, I've never She's never had any positive traits for me, Helen love Joyce. She's not the busybody thinks she's high and mighty when really she's not at all and just gossips about everybody. Sure, yeah, she's not a good person, Helen love joy.
Speaker 3: No, and no sort of comic retribution for her either. No.
Speaker 1: But at the end though, when they have the statue from Margin, like the town's just like, hey, Margin is a big town, welcome back, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what do you mean? I know what the hell is going on? And here's the thing. Look, I know that they've played this up for comic effect. Yea, for the whole you know, we're fifteen dollars short. Look, that gag works when it's like, oh, we're short for cinder blocks, we can't build a children's hospital. That's funny, and that works when it's we're fifteen dollars short exactly what Marge's squares would be. Like everyone's shipping a dollar, everyone head dollar. There you go your sword. I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say this episode fell off the rails when Marge went to prison, because there are some funny scenes.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. The first two thirds are really good. Yeah, the final third is like a bunch of stuff that happens.
Speaker 1: And as I read on wiki, as we're saying, they did a lot of research Bill and Josh about women in prison, but much of it was later replaced. So I'm thinking maybe this final act was their episode and it was just the rescue stretched out and they tried to cram in the good bits of what they could into that final act. But there was not enough there, There was enough. It just wasn't memorable. The final third, Oh absolutely not. It just it just felt like, oh, this is just you just trying to fill time, cramming it in. Yeah, Phillips is just not that interesting a character. Tatoo Anni is a one gag bit, like what it's just they're tough women? Is that it essentially who fall for easy lies from people at Barney There.
Speaker 3: Was clearly you've never watched a little show called Love after Locker or even Judge Judy. We saw my car in the block.
Speaker 1: But I just don't, I just don't think this episode felt a story of two halves. It felt like the court case and then it felt like quick cram in margin prison at the very end there well, not even two hards, like three thirds, because because not even the whole final act is her in prison, because you've you've got her coming back home, the kids trying to clean up the house. There's all these like she disn't in prison for like three minutes of the episode. But certainly the first third episode, maybe the first act even is just Springfield is infected with osaka flu and the town kind of starts to fall apart as a result. For mine, Actually, no, not the funniest the court case of the funniest, mainly because of the whole line of hut stuff.
Speaker 3: But I reckon that first third is that's the best part.
Speaker 1: That's pretty damn But for me, the first act feels like Golden euro Simpsons. The second act is good, it's enjoyable, but it's just not a great deal happening. There's a lot of hut stuff, right, but not a great deal happening. The final bit is just whatever it is. You know, let's wrap this up. But you can't stay in prison. No, of course that's the thing. You watch this going when she's going to get out thirty days anyway, that's what's the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like I was saying, I mean, yeah, it's not so much the prison sent as the tarnished reputation, and that reputation needs to be restored. By the end, it doesn't really feel like it is. It's just more like, oh, we realized, you know what a pivotal part of the community. I mean, it's not like, oh, we've cleared your record. Oh we know that you didn't steal it or something like that. I mean, you didn't necessarily need Oh look, here's some security camera footage that shows oh she was flussled or something like that, or you know. Arph says oh gosh, I think we made a mistake with that one or something like that. No, it's just she gets out of prison, like we missed you, Marge. Here's a statue, eh eh.
Speaker 1: But it needed to get Marge on the stand and have Marge explain herself, and I think that it could have been a really emotional, nice moment of her just saying I'm sorry, yeah, not hired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not even that. Have everybody else saying, yeah, it's not necessarily amissible in court. But it's like we pushed her too hard. She was Yeah, she was the foundation. She was the rock that we were all sort of relying on.
Speaker 1: Because it feels like that's the point of this episode. The point is them trying to say, how great is March. Yeah, yeah, we'll break down with the systems, break breaks down without her, not even just have her family do it. Have other members of the community saying, or other female members, Marge can't go to prison because of this. She you know, her bakes, her marshmallow squares are what keep this bake sale going. Just this seems trivial, but all the little things add up, and I just think it should have been a everyone in town showing her appreciation not sending her to prison and going, oh shit, we probably shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for purely selfish reasons, because it's like, oh, well we didn't make our fifteen bucks and the ether we've fallen a bit short. No, she needed character witnesses. Yeah anyway, Yeah, but hey, look that's aspect of the episode. We weren't exactly fond of it. But I think there was plenty of that to be very very fond of them, all right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, particularly the hut stuff in general. But I was I just don't want to touch on I mentioned earlier, but the relatability and being a stay at home dad and me being able to sort of relate to March more that scene where she is I'm not going to say the word breakdown having a break She's not having a breakdown in the quickie mart. But I guess it's just a case of it's the overstimulation of.
Speaker 3: Everything put it right to the edge.
Speaker 1: She is just there is so much going on at home and Springfield where everyone sick except for her, so it's up to her. It's all on her shoulders to keep the thing afloat right. And that's pretty much life here, not Nikola. She obviously helps out great deals. It's a team here. But just even as even when there's two adults in the house when the kids are sick, there is so much going on and kids want this, kids want that. The cats are hungry to the point sometimes I just sit there and go, I just need a second. Oh yeah, And it's so easy to understand how much she didn't steal the moment. She just she forgot that it was in her pocket. So easy to do.
Speaker 3: You've only got so much bandwidth, Yeah, I say.
Speaker 1: I compare parent life sometimes to managing a restaurant where the customers are never satisfied and you don't get paid. It's just there's always something that they complain that, they're never happy that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The kids are just being kids, right. They don't understand the trivial aspect of their life and how the slightest thing is like the greatest, the biggest thing in their world. But sometimes I'm just getting dinner ready in Alliot It's like I want this, and Holly's like, but he's in that and this is happening. I'm just like stimulated. So when I see marginal supermaker here, I'm like.
Speaker 3: I feel your sister. Sure, it's it's it's it's hard sometimes.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and I just thought they really really capture the the emotional stress of being a parent sometimes in that scene. Yeah, I love in the Golden Ere they do a really good job of these these visions or dream sequence. This wasn't a dream, but just just the animation and seeing all the faces everywhere, it's like the overstimulation.
Speaker 3: That's it to a t. Well, it's a very relatable show in that round. I think that's you know, part of its secret source, isn't it the fact that it's like, Okay, these are cartoon characters, but hey, they're also just like me and the simps that is worked best walks that very fine line of like I can relate to this, but it's also kind of heightened my favorite.
Speaker 1: What were your favorite moments from the episode?
Speaker 3: This episode actually has a few of my all time favorite moment just little gay You thought.
Speaker 1: One of us in this one was in the previous episode, which one was that it was something the bluehaird Lawyer says.
Speaker 3: That's correct, but it isn't this one. Yeah, I mean, because the flute Heavilay wasn't even in the last one, but he's so confident this time around that he can waste the jury's time by rating the super Hunks. I'm sorry that that line tickled me when I first saw this episode. That tickles me to this day. I'm just holding up what is it? Magazine covers were like, who do you think is my handsome Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson.
Speaker 1: It's like, where are you going with what a nineteen ninety three statement?
Speaker 3: That one. I'm still looking pretty good for gentlemen of their age. But yeah, rating the Super Hunks is just it's just a phrase. It's entered my personal vocabulary. But another one of those. And this is also Mike Reese's favorite joke apparently, or favorite joke to date. He might have other one.
Speaker 1: Since I read that, and I was like, you guys in the audio commentaries say this so often it's lost. I was one of my favorite lines. Yeah, this is fact, And ten minutes later I was one of my favorite lines. I'm like, you guys just throw it out there like it means nothing. Fuck it, I'm sticking to my guns.
Speaker 3: This is great. Yeah, but it's Troy mcclaw saying you might remember me from such films as P is for Psycho. I'm sorry, that's fantastic. Explain why what you love so much about that? Well, it's, first of all, it's just a It's the kind of movie you can imagine someone like Troy McClure appearing in. It's like some nineteen sixty five B movie. It's like something that Rick Dalton from Once Upon a Piment Hollywood might have appeared in. But also just a great sort of P. Isn't it a word? No? No, yeah, you say psycho? It lines U where's the P in that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but P is also just the deliverer peas for a psycho, like President's neck is missing.
Speaker 3: Also not a bad gig, but peas a Psycho is just affection. Also two psycho shout outs in this episode. Yeah, yeah, because when Marge's going to the I guess the love Joy's bathroom. That's Flanders's, sorry, the Flannders bathroom. Yeah. That whole Stands with the People is a direct lift from Alfred Hitchcock Psycho. It's beautiful. I love it.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite movies comes just before that bit there when she says I'll keep an eye on it and Flanners is like wiping his mouth. He doesn't saying this goes just not It's just a subtle knot of that's right. You fucking watch her. Flanners give me such a bit sometimes a lot of good Flanner stuff in this episode. By the way, this show is brought to you by the four figure Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the one about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discout.
Speaker 3: There's a lot that I enjoyed in this episode, so I hope I might have This takes a little while, but when the Osaka flu hits Springfield and people are getting very infected by opening boxes or whatever, I've got two that I really enjoyed, just Patting and Selma giving each other a juice loose. But when they both at just the act that was fantastic. But Wigham shooting at it, yeah, that's brilliant. And the pov of you being there. Oh yeah, it just did coming out for a movie style. Yeah. Yeah, what was the other psycha reference? Sorry? Was that the piece? And that was the other one? Yeah? Yeah, yeah. I've always loved the image of the Osaka Floon being represented by Godzilla with just the poor good the sick crowd attacking the truck that they think has got blacebos and it turns out to be full of killer bees. One guy eats a killer but I'm curing, I mean out, Yeah, I'm not sure how this plays thirty something years down the line. But the whole Crying Game bit.
Speaker 1: I wanted to touch on that when it came to it, But you'll do it now. That film came out in like May of ninety two, right, Yeah, it's been out for like less.
Speaker 3: Than a year.
Speaker 1: That's a big spoiler, throw in a TV.
Speaker 3: Kind of it, massive spoiler. But the Crying Game was a very big hit. Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if I would have been talking about imagine Yeah, And was that spoilers went really a thing back then?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think they were actually selling it on the don't reveal the secret of the Crying Game, but I think it would regard it as poor forms made. I saw the Crying Game. I'm going to say anything. I'm gonna say anything. Just go see if you're just wait till the end. Yeah, but I've been generally everyone's sort of like that checks a dude, right, dude, So quit me to go. I mean, man, is that a good movie. But just what a great escape hatch.
Speaker 1: But the fact that he's blabbing at his rally, at his rally, I know that's fair.
Speaker 3: He just can't keep quiet about anything. But my last is at the end when when the statue of Jimmy Carter is revealed and everyone just up in arms like his history's greatest monster, which I think is a fantastic life. But why do they say that?
Speaker 1: Though al Jina said that he doesn't like him Carter, Yeah, but like, why goes to that?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if we were in the Jimmy Carter Reclamation project yet, I think he was still regarded as a bit of a lame duck president. He had one term. Everyone goes, oh, this guy is kind of weak. He didn't really help us out with the erase hostage is a fan kind of yeah, Yeah, I mean I think they made fun of him again with George H. W.
Speaker 1: Bush That, Yeah, it was another episode where they just he's just building houses and stuff, right.
Speaker 3: Which he did. I mean, you know, he ended his presidency and he started doing stuff the Habitat for Humanity an absolute fantastic humanitarian and now was regarded as one of the you know, a really great president. Because we're coming off of all America is coming off watergates. You know, there's no faith in politicians at all. This is a pre the Reagan era, sort of the cult of personality, celebrity politician era begins with him in Earnest Carlor is kind of a placeholder, but he's also he's making the best of a really shitty situation, a terrible economy, and he's trying to sort of restore faith. But he's also he's not sugarcoating it for the Americans. He's basically saying, we're facing a Christ as a constant confidence here people. You know, you know, America is not in a good state and this is not what America wanted to hear, not what the world wanted to hear. So when Reagan comes along and says we're going to make America great again, he actually did say that. Yeah, they're all like, yeah, give us hell, Regan, Whereas you know, Carla's going like, this guy's telling us the truth and it's a bit of pill to swallow. Yeah, when he died recently, did he make it to a hundred, Jimmy Carter, I'm not sure if he did. I can look it up while you continue. I don't think you heard a bad word about him from people who mattered age one hundred. Yeahah, I think we're wow. This guy, you know, served his country both in the military and as a civil servant, as a politician, Christian, married to his married to his childhood sweetheart, or is a teenage sweetheart? Is his entire life solid? Dude? What's his speech now that? Yeah, it's not really it's on the statue. The statue says Malays forever. I think he refers to Malays at least once. But in the I think it's in that speech that I referred to.
Speaker 1: Speech apparently says known as that that's we have a.
Speaker 3: Crisis of confidence. I think that's what he's talking about. I think Malays might be in there, or at least sort of alluded to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a kid going who the hell is that.
Speaker 3: So, I guess you know again, as our pal Rainio wolf Castle says, that's the joke. But someone's so inoffensive is history. It's greatest monster. It's just entered my personal yeah vocabulary again, it's like history as great as Manster. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I loved so it's a prison sequence and I've touched on it in previous episodes. How I love the relationship between Homer and Marge. It's just and their sex life. Homer is saying, you know, don't want to push you into anything, you know, and Marge just pounces on you. Marge, you know, she's ready to get down.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: And there's no secret to that. Marge is always ready to go.
Speaker 3: And I love that they sort of lay a little bread crumb before that, you know, when Marge is a boud to go to prison and home, I'm going to miss you. And it's not just the sex. There's also the food preparation. Yeah you think stains all kinds, he's going to be the horny one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Instead it's Yeah, that's an empowering women moment as well, because for even when I was growing up, it felt like women and sex was like, you know, only men are allowed to be down and dirty.
Speaker 3: Like it's oh, it's something that men want and women.
Speaker 1: Women are allowed to be just as loving for sex as men now, and that's that's that's that's fine.
Speaker 3: Right, that's acceptable. This is used to me.
Speaker 1: But women like seeing someone like Marge just like I want twos on you now as sure.
Speaker 3: That's great. Oh yeah, for the conjugal visit to get conjugal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next question you there eating the.
Speaker 1: Beast trivia time. My first question for you is where does Arnie Pie in the Sky vomited onto? It's the twelfth and main, Yes, who does he vomit onto?
Speaker 3: Man al Am? My first question here because I had the twelfth and main question as well. Okay, what are Wigams demands of Marge as she exits the quickie mart. He wants.
Speaker 1: A capricorn freshener something with coconut on it? Yes, two, two cinnamon something. It's two coffees, two coffees. Okay, So my next question for you is Grandpa can't have liquids after what time? It's after three three pm?
Speaker 3: And lit it up.
Speaker 1: Apparently that's a thing where if you are known for having to go to the toilet a lot throughout the night. They say, don'tdrink liquids after three pm. Something A long time ago without water?
Speaker 3: Right, it really does.
Speaker 1: Maybe if it's like a five thirty bad time off the wheel of fortune or something.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I'm not looking forward to my old years that that's the case. How they going, by the way, how are they going my old years? Oh? They're fine? Right again, I alluded to this earlier. What is Quickie Mart's parent company name? I've got my notes. I'm not going to check. What is it? Nord Iron Defense Dynamics.
Speaker 1: My next question for you is Lionel Huts's law firm is in between what?
Speaker 3: No bankruptcy hearings? It's between stores, I know, but I don't remember. That's the life for me, yogurt nook and gum for less, gum for less. What's his store called? What's his firm called. I can't believe it's not a law firm. I can't believe it's law.
Speaker 1: Which is the same gag they've just said. I can't believe it. Yeah, the same gag twice. But I mean obviously his story name came first.
Speaker 3: Correct. Yes, I have one more question, speaking of Lionel Huts after the case against Marge, there is a case against Lionel Huts. It is being brought by who the nash All Cancel of Churches. That's right, all right.
Speaker 1: My final question for you is how far is it to Mexico City from Springfield? Because when he is taking off, you see the sign there's Ogdeville's another one of them, maybe north Haver Books another one. I'm not too sure, but I didn't pay attention. It is six hundred and seventy eight miles.
Speaker 3: One good probably surmise where Springfield is in the United States. From that.
Speaker 1: Someone did do that on IMDb. Let's try and find that person at the time on their hands. People take that shit seriously, man, Yes, this is from doesn't say the user's name, but the wide ranging debate discussion about where in the United States the simpsons hometown of Springfield is located may have another clue. In this episode, as jail Birds Snake is towing the entire Quickie Mite building, he comments that he's taking the thing to Mexico. As he disappears down the road, a sign on the road says the distance is six hundred and seventy eight miles, roughly the distance from Brownsville at the southern tip of the Texas to the Mexican capital. Driving from anywhere else in the US would be a longer trip. So Springfield is now Brownsville. Interesting, Brownsville is a very Simpson's name. It is Brownsville. Anything else on the IMDb we didn't talk about the inmate number, of course, two four six oh one my name is. It's been on various since the episodes. Remember someone that's got a prison or whatever. That's that was Marge's inmate number. Actually, there's there's a few things here as well, but we'll touch on it when we're doing our full review. Before we do the full review, of course, we need to give you out some shout out. Shout them out, starting with the incredible Katig with her one hundred dollar sport. Thank you so much, Katie g Also shoes to the following people. We have Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Chaney Macker, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewn, DV. P. Anderson, Timothy Bells, and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dentzel, planned Flood Bello, Windo Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby Adrick McLeod March eleven, Ginger and Pickle, Preston Murray, to Lee and Riquez, Deklan Phoenix, Brian mc roy, Logan, b James Shepherd, Joe Reiden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNelly, Gavelaine, Charlie, Joe and Damian Miller. Think if you've been top tier supporter Stonecutters here at fourth thing a discount and keeping the lights on.
Speaker 3: Indeed, thank you for being a friend.
Speaker 1: If you want to support the show, you can do so by following the Patreon link in the description of this video slash podcast. All right, mister Davis, So the original air date of Marche in Chains was May sixth, nineteen ninety three. Let's do the box office quickly, ninety ninety three. The crying game is ninety two. What was ninety three? May ninety three? One quick guess, that's that's your your time it is, but it was also a long time ago. Is the fugitive in there? Let's have a look, may not. If you've got that, that's a pretty good guess. May six of ninety three. So we've got indecent proposal number one, Sidekicks is number two with Chuck Norris went from number eighteen to number two. That's a big climb, right.
Speaker 3: That's the power of Chuck.
Speaker 1: It is indeed, number three is Indian Summer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's a very nice sort of ensemble tale of kids who went to camp together and cut and reunite. Has grown Up's got the late Bill Paxton in their Spider Man director Sam Raimi in an acting role, not a band of the movie. It's fine. There we go the top. I'm amazed that made it as high as number three in the box office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the US box office. In on May six, ninety three. The production code nine F two zero, written by Bill Oakley Josh Weinstein, directed by Jim Reared in the chopboor Gag, I do not have diplomatic community and the couch gaz of miniature family climbs onto a normal sized couch. So the episode kicks.
Speaker 3: Off with what I can't believe they invented it.
Speaker 1: I can't believe they invented it. Products you could only imagine before. We've got the ss microwave make creaks to them, guy laying in the pool, the doggy doorman, Good evening, Rex and the mobile. Ea, the chandelier for the car.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we get to Troy McClure, the man himself. This is a very Phil Hartman spotlight episode, this one, wasn't there? Yeah, and stars of such film as he is.
Speaker 3: For Psycho and the President's nack is missing.
Speaker 1: Now here to tell you all but the remarkable new inventions, including this one here the juice listener, which was the only way to get juice from an orange was using your eye.
Speaker 3: I mean there's another way? You love that? You mean that's the cutter home. Yeah, exactly the same thing. It's so you mean, there's a better way.
Speaker 1: So good, And then Homer can't believe it, as we said. Then he introduces doctor Nick, who is the inventor of the juice loosener toy.
Speaker 2: Would you like a glass of orange juice?
Speaker 3: I sure would?
Speaker 2: But won't we have to pay those outrageous grocery store prices for something the farmer probably spit in?
Speaker 3: Not anymore.
Speaker 1: It's such such a great infroversial Yeah, it's incredibly loud, the juice looten.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's whisper quiet. It's whisper quiet. Yeah. Then he gets you got all that it's just one drop drop of juice, one whole bag of oranges. Yeah, orderly reminded me of the Peltzer Pela juicer from Gremlins. He did other Yeah, that's right, Yeah, except that's mostly split that pulp. Yeah, it's been a little more juice. But yeah, I remember the toothbrush. Oh yeah, yeah. The bathroom buddy. Yeah, the bathroom buddy. That's it. Yeah, bath room buddy. What a good movie. So then, uh do you them? Gremlin's three is apparently Gather and gain intraction. No, no, no, been reports in there in the trades going to be written and directed by Chris Columbus, who wrote the original script for the first one, will actually happen, they're talking about it. As long as the Gremlins are all computer computer generated, that'll take away some of the magic from that, I think so. But the whole match was that they were just puppets, and I think viewers and fans of the visuals would prefer if it doesn't look realistic, they sad puppets, I think. So that's the charm of it. Right, Let's see what happens. But you know, apparently they're waiting on the okay from Big Daddy Steve Spielberg to say, no, I'm happy to send this out with my name on it. Jack Gallaghan apparently said, oh it's will I need this quiet you might remember from such movies as ges for Gremlins.
Speaker 1: And Geers Gremlin's too, the New you might remember from such film Gremlins and nothing else. Sorry, Zach, but they just tear the streads in the commentary. Oh god, having Mandel eats him alive and spits him out.
Speaker 3: I think I said when we've done think it might Yeah, talked about that, but also how he just seemed really kind of thirsty. Yeah, sorry, Zach, what a first trap indeed anyway. But yeah, So this is where they've done the information for the juice Loosener. If you order it now, you get a free thing of sun and run the lax that the sun lotion that's also a laxative. Mcclup puts it on and runs off. I've got here.
Speaker 1: This whole bit just feels so true to what an information is because it just feels off the cuff, even though it's scripted and it's animated. The way the energy of the room clearly Troy McClure is just riffing here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And the fact that he didn't do any research onto what Sun and Run actually makes you know he is, as we said, he's just a former star who's just doing what he can to just pay those bills.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, look, hey didn't he didn't write the stuff, man, He's just delivering exactly.
Speaker 1: So he's just there, just riff and just being Troy mcclum. You can see Rusty doing this quite well as well.
Speaker 3: Oh surely anything Rebuck. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to love watching Good Morning Australia with our man Bert new and they always have these kind of informationals on there and but will just get over there. He's just tearing these products to shreds. Oh yeah, but that's what they preferred that because well it's giving it the tick of a brill.
Speaker 3: B Bert's left the desk, Yeah, like asking you know, a cometing to come over to Johnny Carson's. There's like, oh I made it, yes.
Speaker 1: Then Homer calls quickly he wants to drink juice loose weight, won't get chess pens mention the phone anymore, and it gets cuts to us in a sucker. Now where they're packing the loosener the juice listeners into the boxes. And we've got two guys here who are Unwow, one's got shdded palvis for the last three weeks and they both laugh. It's all out of sync. Yes, again a very early nineties joke. Yeah, they cough into the box, tape it up and send it on its weight. They're bad taping, by the way, Yes, who's now professional back in the old back on the docks.
Speaker 3: Mate, Well, gotta make a little scratch anyway you can. So, yeah, that's that's bad taping.
Speaker 1: But more patients, guys back in the factory, we need more patrons help a brother out, I would say.
Speaker 3: Factories back in the warehouse.
Speaker 1: Which warehouse worker on a day's work for an honest day's payment. Yeah, it so, there's but there's many layers to this, right, So they're mocking. It's mocking the OHNs of what we think it's like in Asaka of Japan, even the early nineties. Anyway, Well, the whole salary man thing. Yeah yeah, that work culture in Japan is like you'll have a job for life, but the job will be your life. Yeah yeah, but you don't want to see the whole That lifestyle is very similar to you wouldn't need a sausage if you know what's it's what's in it, right, similar to you wouldn't buy that iPhone if you know who packed it. Oh, yeah, it's just it's not good. No, you wouldn't it came out if you knew who packed those anko shoes.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But on that note, there's also the fact that these workers here think that they're getting one over their boss by saying, don't tell the boss that I'm sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 1: I've been working with the show's pubbles for three weeks, jokes on him. Their mentality is that you should be working through those injuries, but in reality they should be at home getting paid to rest up.
Speaker 3: Oh exactly, yeah, the whole play through the pain thing.
Speaker 1: Then there's the parody of the voices being out of sync, which he said it was a very offense time thing. You don't really say it anymore, but usually generally the parody was though in Japan or whatever, would speak so many words for it to be like one or two English.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the gag.
Speaker 1: But they double down here by it being the laugh and that's the one that gets dragged out, even the laughs so longer than when they should be. But then six to eight weeks later, the loosener arrives. Homer opens the box and the the fog, the virus comes out, the virus, your suck of food comes out. Skinner then tells Agnes to get one of her extra special hugs ready and then gives it, opens the box and he gets done by the germs.
Speaker 3: Coming under every orifice in his head.
Speaker 1: When he says that out loud, this feels very much man's plaining to the younger audience at home who might have quite idea what's going on, because it just seems like just the flu going into every orifice in my head, making me on well, just explaining that it's not necessarily man's plaining. I know, the younger women viewers completely understand fun patting someone as we said, what the birthday gifts? They both bought each other a juice loosener, and then the virus is waiting for the traffic lights goes through and Wigham shoots at it after buying some hot dogs, and we get the news report.
Speaker 3: See it's why this, Yeah, it's the joy of animation. This. I mean you, I mean you're gonna have people getting sick in live action sitcoms or live action shows or whatever. But yeah, having the virus sort of scoot around town stop it to stop, like like a slasher film. Yeah, approach wiggam like here like a monster or something like that. Yeah. I mean, look, you could probably do something like that and live action, but you'd have your work cut out for you. But it just makes more sense here, and it's I know, it's funnier. I just really enjoy it. I that it stopped for the red lights. That's correct.
Speaker 1: It will follow some rules, that's true, some not all, not all indeed. But then we get the news report here and it's about how this sucker flu has now got over three hundred cases in Springfield. This felt it was always like PTSD. I was like, oh remember when every morning you wake up to see how many cases of oh yeah.
Speaker 3: The numbers. That was every morning.
Speaker 1: It's like eleven ten am every morning, like how many cases are there? Can we get out of the house yet, and we're we're still on lockdown?
Speaker 3: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just forget that. Ever happened right five years ago? Now, that's crazy that is crazy. I think we're still feeling five zero four when it started. Yes, yes, yes, yes, still we're still feeling the tail end of it, I think. I mean, yeah, COVID is still out there, people still get it. But people aren't living the house as much as they used to though.
Speaker 3: Well that's true.
Speaker 1: People have worn Oh you know what's better beach being home by myself, living indoors.
Speaker 3: That I was talking about this with the lovely Oh. I don't, okay, but the people some people are just some people are mad, but they got so comfortable being home.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, I just watch I just stream shit and just get daw dash or not doors over each to my door or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is only paying the sky. And he's feeling unwell. He's also got the virus. He's over the twelfth and main yeah root four oh one, twelve and twelfth and main. He vomits out there with no vomits onto it Otto who's making on top of the on top of the building, whatever building it is, then.
Speaker 3: But he is.
Speaker 1: His temperature is ninety eight point six here, which works out to be thirty seven degrees celsius, which slightly about and he's slightly above like thirty six. Thirty six is supposedly yeah temperature, anything in thirty seven is stuck in a little like maybe a little bit unwell.
Speaker 3: So then he makes do.
Speaker 1: It again because she says you're feeling fine, and he tries to force himself to feel sick, and they keep the inside of his body. You get the German say, we keep getting orders to let the virus win, and it must be a school day.
Speaker 3: And then lay down and surrender.
Speaker 1: It was a nice touch that the virus had the voice of snake. Yeah, but I definitely tried this when I was a kid. You know, from time to time you'd wake up and you just feel like I just don't want to go to school, and I know I'm not unwell, and he would always almost like, try and give yourself a.
Speaker 3: Headache, right, I'm not unwell enough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you ever be where we try to give yourself like a try to make yourself hotter, I'll try to give yourself a headache.
Speaker 3: I never did, now some reason. I must have been a really goodie goodie. I mean I never sort of tried to convince the folks like, oh, I'm too sick to go to school. Today.
Speaker 1: I always yeah, I did, I never did, but yeah, And there was always that moment of throwing the pitch out, waiting for the results. Is she going to buy it? And the days when she goes fine, just go to n hands. I was like, yes, doon't want pie for lunch, homemade chips? That doesn't pretty much ready, steady Cook Morning Australia, Judge, Judy All the show, Bitting the Beast. Now we'd watch her stories which were, I mean, it's still on right, Young and the Restless, and summer what's young and the Restless? And days of our lives, our lives. Man, whenever hear that music, I us think of Nan NaN's house. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you will find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount. But but is now actually unwell. He's got the cold Pack on his head sitting there watching Itching and Scratchy the germs of endearment. It's nice when an Itching Scratchy cartoon is relevant corresponds with the episode. You can almost say that Itchy and Scratchy is the South Park of Springfield because they are doing an episode based on something that's popular right now, like South Pack, have the ability if something happened yesterday, next week's episode of South Park could genuinely just be about that. It doesn't have as much substance to it, it's just the cat and the mouse kill each other, but the ability to be able to produce an episode timely in a timely manner, very much like South Buck. But then laughs but actually coughs, and the episode is interrupted by a message from Quimby, who says he's canceled his holiday to the Bahamas, but turns out he hasn't. The guy works past, walks past, playing the steel drum, still drums that. Okay, yes, clearly this is meant to be a take of for a lot of politicians who do this.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's happened with Ted Cruz.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yes, and I remember scom I got in a lot of trouble when the shola was like on fire.
Speaker 3: That's look, he didn't really try to deceive anyone that I mean, he just wasn't here.
Speaker 1: He wasn't he didn't come back. Let me know what's going guys. But he doesn't pick up hoose no no Burns and says he's he's not worried that because he's come up with this like germ proof hideout. But turns out home's already in there eating a sandwich of some sort, and use this is the whole My name is mister Burns. Yes, goes back to that one. Then the mob of demanding a cure from Hibittu standing on top of the clinic. I guess he is, yes, yeah, and he says the only cure is bed rest. He says anything he gives to them is simply a placebo. It's just on their head. A placebo for those who aren't aware. Is just when they give you something to make you think you're getting better, when really it's just all ahead a little sugar pill. This happened recently. Elliott had to get a blood test last week for his foot injury in a moonboot. At the moment, young Elliott and they told us they have numbing cream.
Speaker 3: They're right.
Speaker 1: And we get there and I said, you have the cream, clut Tod, don't worry about it has numbing cream. And she goes, oh, we don't have any of that. You can buy it from my chemist's warehouse. I'm like, oh, okay, cool. She goes, but you have to wait an hour before it starts working. Okay, so we buy this cream. Blah blah blah, either get the blood test dout. He still feels it. He realizes now needles aren't anything to be scared about it.
Speaker 3: But it didn't work.
Speaker 1: And afterwards she goes, yeah, it doesn't really work. It's just so the kids think in their heads that it's actually numbing the skin to make him feel like it's less painful.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, you could have told me this story went to chemists ware I'm like, I went to spend twenty bucks on cream. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But she's like, because Aliott was really nervous. But she said, I didn't say it. But in reality, if I didn't go and do that, Elliot would have panted because he thought he was getting numbing cream. Sure, if the idea of numbing cream wasn't addressed, in the first place, then he wouldn't have been thinking about it. But then when he was told I wouldn't have any he immediately went, oh, no, I need that cream because I was told it would hurt less. So that's when I had to go and by maybe it's a scheme they got going on a scheme with it. With my chemist way, I was like, you can just go down the road and get some cream, like and shit. And then afterwards she don't believe in conspiracy theories. And then afterwards she's just like it doesn't really work. I'm like, fine, say it, don't believe it, but you should. But then I said to Aliott, I said, see I didn't really wait that well, didn't He goes, noe, but did it hurt? And he goes not really like see, see it's fine, mate, I said, needles aready because blood tests are in for like twenty seconds or so getting blood out. He said, needles in and out. And he goes, I'm not scared of needles anymore. I'm like, good man, good.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Ali.
Speaker 1: He was very brave, your little sticker that said, I was brave, getting brave as a lion getting my blood tests and he wore it with pride. She would wouldn't be a lying He now puts it. He put it on the inside of the door in the car, so now whenever gets out of the car, is like, oh, I was as brave as a lion when I got my blood test. And I'm like, you were, but sure you were good. He was very brave though, so shout out to him. But as I was saying, he says, he's going to give you pisbos. Can we get these pisinbos? And they see the truck. In this truck truck, they smash it over. Killer bees coming out?
Speaker 3: Is it killer bees? Bees? Just bees? Yes? And he eats it.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, Todd is now speaking in tongues what they think he is, But no, he's just delirious from fever.
Speaker 3: What does he say? Long for the day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Maud asked God why God has forsaken them and then realizes he once laughed at a married with children gag him out a limp plant.
Speaker 3: He kept you in bed, you air the pig. I love how they do a fairly faithful O'Neal. And Katie's gold sort.
Speaker 1: Of looks just like yeah, I guess because it was a Fox property. They didn't want to really take the mickey out of it anyway, But yeah, as he said the slogan, watch Fox and be damn for all eternity. Now Marge is trying to keep the house running and looking very disheveled. Lisa once moj butt on some flintstone chewable morphine or chuble flintstone morphine. Homer says, the boys wasting valuable time, come and change the channel and pat my head. Is Homer actually sick or is he just being a nuisance? I think he's man. Yes, sit, how are you when you're sick? I get annoyed because I want to be able to do work. Because when I'm sick, I can't do my work.
Speaker 3: I tend to be just leave me alone. It's like people will be saying, oh, can I bring your sandwich? And bring no? No, no, I'll be fine, be fine, not gon over in a couple of days. So I don't subscribe to the whole Oh I'm so sick, help me out or whatever it's like. But yeah, just give me a couple of days to sleep it off. Yeah, hip, it's right. The only cure is bed rest. Nick Nicholas says.
Speaker 1: She goes, I know when you're actually sick because you decort to go to the bedroom and just go to sleep. She goes, you, you don't do that because you see every I look at you, and you look at every possible time you are awake as a time to do work for your fucking podcast. So when you are going to sleep, I know you must be unwell. Like it's just it's annoying. But my brain, this never turns off. I'm constantly thinking what can I post next, what could I do next? How can we improve? What can I do?
Speaker 3: And it's just it's it's exhausting. Can you bring me more?
Speaker 2: Jay?
Speaker 3: Can you give me some of those Bristow's chewlbral morphine.
Speaker 1: There's no such.
Speaker 2: Thing, Marge, the boys wasting valuable time. Come change the channel and pat my head in a minute, Miss flow.
Speaker 3: Ball, and give me a bottle of bourbon. Grandpa. You know you can't have liquids after three pm.
Speaker 4: You can stir it into my mush either way.
Speaker 3: Just give me, gimme, gimme.
Speaker 1: Then Marge's at the QUICKI mautas. This is where it all goes down. She's hearing all the voices of the family whining. You're seeing their faces when she takes away stuff off the shelf, and eventually the entire supermoker shehoves is filled with their heads complaining. And she gets to the check out ask for a bottle of aspirin as well for her self. I'm gonna assume it's twenty five dollars. He dropped the price because an escape mental patient tempered with the bottle. She then goes to leave, but unfortunately the alarm goes off, which puzzles her. I think I love why they animated her. She's just genuinely for sure. Have you even gone through like a k Mart and it's gone off and you're just like you immediately think what did I steal? You know you haven't stolen some Oh yeah. It's like when you see I've mentioned this before, when you see a breath o and you go, oh what have you? Haven't drun anything? It's three o'clock and you just pick the kids up fro school?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or you just see red and blues in there in the rare vision mirror. It's like, what's my speed come from? Me? Yeah? Yeah, I don't really feel that anymore. If I'm walking out of came or any department store where you know you know them, we are going up. I make you scan it came out. No, I don't know that's true. But there's maybe like a microsecond of like did I do something wrong?
Speaker 4: Is it me?
Speaker 3: Are they coming for me? And then you realize, look, I haven't done anything wrong and easily talk my way out of this.
Speaker 1: Even when I've done something wrong, I can easily took my way out of the s. Sure, well, when's the last time you stole something? You said you still a lot when you were kid? Right, I didn't see a lot when I was a kid, but I stole someone was it was just little books?
Speaker 3: Books? Wow? Was all these books? A couple of bookstores?
Speaker 1: Try to steal a book once court and I never did it again.
Speaker 3: Like a busted trying to pin some sunglasses and then wow, what did you put them on your head and just walk out? That's correct. I'll just put them on my face with the tag and down. That's correct? Is actually what you did?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, but I got bustard. And how were you at this time? I was probably at seventeen okay, and I never did it again. I was scared straight, Yeah, don't do what Donnie don't does. Did I leave a message on there on the No, No, there was no. I was worried that might be the case. Yeah, but yeah, I think I've really sort of gone off for the warning more than anything else. I had to go up to the store, deteck, what did you Yes? Yeah, I got the Simpson treatment and say yeah, well it's pretty gnarly. I was a be worried there.
Speaker 1: There was that time I got accused of shop living in a big w in Geelong and one of my life and I was like, mate, you're a store fucking security guy. I had to give you ship like. He's like, I'll call the police. I'm call the police. I've stolen nothing. It was because they bought something using my phone after pay. I didn't have a receipt. He's like, there's a receipt from targeting. It's after pay right there. He's like, no, I need a physical receipt. I'm like, way twenty five, you're blithering full did making friends all over.
Speaker 3: To this receipts in twenty twenty five? Who uses cards anymore? So?
Speaker 1: Then she yeah, so she's been she gets accused of we're not quite accused of shoplifting who tries to play it cool. He says, the son Jay happy with their bags, but speaks in Hindi to essentially, this is what he says, So I looked it up what he actually says. So I had a terrible fear in watching this episode. Yeah, like, are they actually speaking Hindi or are they?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Are they being very early nineties?
Speaker 1: It sounds very Simpsons nineteen ninety three for them to just do that, right, Hey, Hank, just say something, just make some stuff up. But no one's watching this outside the US or I don't think they're watching this in yeah India. Yeah, but the writers Bill and Josh were smart enough to go, let's not do that.
Speaker 3: They dotted i's and crossed t's. Yeah, because later on, I mean, we talk about pie. And apparently they did their research, because what.
Speaker 1: They did was they called the Embassy of India in Washington to get them to translate it to make sure there was actually all said correctly.
Speaker 3: They didn't they embassy sort of saying okay, fine.
Speaker 1: He says, they said the embassy was not interested or happy, but they still did it. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed, just confused. Who are you Why are you calling me? But the translation was this is some guy on Reddit. He's given it a crack and it says there's very something similar. That's some jay on Reddit of some guy some guy and read it. Yes, the cream of it says her coach in that direction. Look, So it's something on the lines of looking her coat around the pocket direction. Yes, and he approves by saying something on the lines of yes, I'll do that quickly right away, something that implies that Okay, yeah, it's not nonsense.
Speaker 3: It seems like some jay is more of the smartest. He's like, oh.
Speaker 1: That's apparably just something like I'll check right away, but yeah pooh said something like just check her coat pocket or what something on those lines. But there's any Indian viewers or listeners out there who want to completely translate it legit for us, we'd love to hear from you guys as well.
Speaker 3: We sure would.
Speaker 1: And by the way, consider being a patron Yes, mailbag, four finger discount, dot com, dot you or comment below in the video. So he checks her pocket, finds the Colonel Quickie Mark. See Colonel Quickie Mark, Kentucky Bourbon.
Speaker 3: That's a great name. Isn't it who it is?
Speaker 1: And the police cars arrive. They are two cups of coffee auto Freshenet of capricorn and something with coconut. It just seems crazy that four cop cars are rocked up because Marge has taken some bourbon. But hey, for the second of the story, let's just.
Speaker 3: Go with it. That's the thing. I mean, you had, as I said before, certain people taking issue where it's like, why are there so many cops coming from March. It's like, come on, guys, really, it's just a story. This is what you're taking issue with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's now time for them to go see Huts at the I can't believe it's a law firm.
Speaker 2: Now, Marge, you've come to the right place by hiring me as your lawyer. You also get this smoking monkey. Better get down there, smoky mist huts. Look, he's taking another puff.
Speaker 1: I love the genuine excitement of he's taking another puff.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you take another look at these thing. It's great, just.
Speaker 1: Great, Phil Line, Phil Line reading for that. Better cut down there with Smoky. He's more interested in this than actually helping Margin at this point, greatest toever. But Margin's not interested in the smoking monkey. She says, it's all a misunderstanding. But then this is where he realized, Oh no, we've got Judge Schneyder, and why is that an issue?
Speaker 3: Well, he's got its had it in for him ever since he ran over his dog. Oh he kind of ran over he's kind of ran over his well, yeah, and replaced kind of with a repeatedly and replaced dog with the son.
Speaker 1: Yes, another great reading harmon. This is what Homer says, Oh, look I'll go speak to a pooh. He'll be reasonable, and then I'm his best customer. I'm sure he'll let you off. Because of them just celebrating. But are they celebrating Marge being caught? I've never quite got this.
Speaker 3: Here's the yeah, I mean, why are they celebrating? This is in a civil case, they're not about to get damages?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that is? It just always just just how they hang out. It's just so bizarre they're celebrating and hums like, can we not do this? And they said, we're putting that bitch on ice to the fully send of the law due to our apparent company, norde Iron Defense Dynamics. It's just like, okay, sure, it's a. It's a cheap line to get a cheap laugh the bitch on Arsley. But this is where the reputation of Marge just really goes down the toilet. People just really just being horrible. So Wigham blabs to Quimby in the sauna about don't tell anybody, but then it cuts to him at the rally just spoiling to everybody, then spoils the crying game as well. Then we're at the card game, which I'm ashimming. Is that the love joys Hibbitt and Hoover there as well. She at the love Joy's house because they're both there, and she says Miss Hoover says one time she made gingerbread men but had a hair in one. Hibbitt says that Marge has web toes. I love the deverish delivery of please from Lovejoy.
Speaker 3: Here's gross.
Speaker 1: Flanners says, don't worry though, because she's having dinner at Margin at Flanner's house. You know we've all had our runnings or brushes with the law. Is this Ed Flanders? Nope, Ma misteak. Then Marge goes to Fresh Enough and just the note from Flanner's wiping his mouth I'll go check on her.
Speaker 3: Yes, you do that.
Speaker 1: She looks through the wall and Marge tries to fix the frame because that's just march, just like washing hand. Anyone with OCD would try and fix that frame. Crooked frame drives me insane.
Speaker 3: What particularly crooked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wash your hands and get out. And she's looking through the God Bless you sign as he said, it's a psycho reference. Now a friend of mine, friend of ours actually Tash from the LPC. She has her own store in al And Town called Cate Cult Right, check it out. Go to Kate Culton, Geelong for the best desserts in Geelong. Our friend Tash cooks them on side. But she has a lot of I'll get to the point in a second. She has a lot of art prints around the place, which are just paintings from op shops and whatnot, but she has painted Simpsons characters into them. So there's one where it's just the out back trees and it's a damn and she's painted the Prime Minister Andy and Tobias' dad and what Bruno Drundrig where his name is just looking at him Andy to stuff like that's great. But my point being that She's also created a new device, which is the God Bless You thing right that you put on the wall, and it's got the eye behind it and the eye moves left and right.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: That it's like having your own God Bless Your sign with more looking through the wall. She's super smart.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard of a brain working overtime like that since Brendan Dan. But she Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will host a link for her store in the description of this video and this podcast, and you can check out her stuff.
Speaker 3: It is fantastic.
Speaker 1: You can buy those those paintings as prince as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do it.
Speaker 1: It's great indeed, Yeah, just great cakes at a Mars bar slice.
Speaker 3: It was delicious. Okay.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, so they've kicked Marge out of the house or told it to get out, then there's time for the court case. And the blue headed lawyer he's you're a bit, I'll let.
Speaker 3: You take it away. Well you do, Oh no, he's just he is so confident in the of Marge Simpsons guilt that he can waste the juries time, but waste the courts room time. Yes, by rating the super hunk.
Speaker 1: Super hunks, Indeed, who is the biggest hunk? Mel Gibbs, ninety three Mel Gibson or ninety three Crews.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say ninety three Gibson.
Speaker 1: I agree, ninety three Gibson for all his faults. Now, ninety three Gibson is a far bigger hunk than ninety three Crews in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Not an unhandsome man, not an ugly man. Ninety ninety three Tom Cruise. But yeah, I think Mel pips him at the post. Just feels like he was a bigger action star, a tough guy. For me, a hunk is a guy that can beat share the people, right, I think, what's your definition of a hunk? Oh? I think a hunk is many things, to many things. See, when I generally think you're thinking of a hulk, I'm thinking a hunk is usually like, that's a good looking chunk of man. Is what a lady or meat or a gentleman who feels that way? What a hunk? Yeah? So, look, it might be a combination of all things. But no, I think Mel is probably the super hunk of this particular time. Yea indeed, But yeah, so it's just no going Marge's way. The blue head lawyer is on his game, and Lonald Hunts is not is he? Oh no, no, maybe not a good lawyer. He's gonna win.
Speaker 1: We have Helen love joined the stand and we need to put it out there that Helen Lovejoy was probably the worst possible person in Springfield to be in the quick amount at the time of this happen.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely not just looking for the worst in just about everyone.
Speaker 1: As the wife of the minist I'm privy to a lot of information, and here it is my husband doesn doesn't earn much. The family is a mess. And then made the drinking drink. That's fantastic. Let it be known that drinking drinking emotion.
Speaker 3: As I said, there are some lines in this that just enter the collective consciousness. And I'm pretty sure drinking drinking I said them a lot in this part of you. But it's been used many times by many people. I'm sure the drinking drinking, it's just hilarious to say. Frink.
Speaker 1: Then shows the subruta. Subruta is just called the pretty film. Yeah, the JFK sassination and March's Hairs behind at the Grassy Knoll, basically just JFK. The film probably just come out, was that early nineties, Yeah, ninety one one. Yes, it was still a thing. Yeah, signe, we're doing parodies of it and whatnot. Was almost like the JFK saessination became a thing.
Speaker 3: Again, very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So who's now in the stand just being an obnoxious jerk?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: So Huts is well, first of all, Huts is hole in the bourbon and then he realizes, oh, you want me to drink you and then he races off and he gets calls his AA sponsor, who is David Crosby actually voiced by David Crosby. Correct, Now you know the story behind this, yes, yes, So basically he says here to him, take them one day at a time, and know that I love you. There's two things here. Not only is that a reference to the lyrics of their song Teach your children, Yes, about they say and I love you? But Phil Harmon also designed the logo for Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean I think one of the writers here says oh Phil developed or created an album cover Crosby, Stills Nash. That's not the case. He did their logo album cover. He did a lot of album covers.
Speaker 1: Over forty well. He was a graphic designer before he became a comedian.
Speaker 3: What a man? Oh? Absolutely, but no, that the logo for Crosby, Stills and Nash, I say, there's all due respect to Phil who we love. And a door not the best logo. Yeah, it's pretty plain. It's kind of ugly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then Huts ask a Pooh if he's ever forgotten something. He's like, no, no, it never happens. He goes, I can recite Pie to forty thousand places. The last digit is one Oakley in one scene, of course, being the sticklers for details. Yeah, they prepared for this scene by asking David H. Bailey of the National Aeronautics that sounds like NASA is is NASA? Yeah, the National I've never I've never.
Speaker 3: What you've never wanted? What naturally? That? NASA actually stands, No, you did you? What's NASA? Unlike the bad taste joke, it doesn't actually mean need another seven astronauts.
Speaker 1: For the number of the forty thousands decimal place of Pie and Bailey. Davida's Bailey sent them back a print out of the first forty thousand digits.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing. How would they have received this? Probably by a fact, it.
Speaker 1: Would have been hundred percent. Oh my god, how many facts, how many sheets.
Speaker 3: How many pages are coming through it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So then, of course the great button to this is hom aging.
Speaker 3: Mm pie Hats.
Speaker 1: Then asked what color his tie is, and it's a red and white striped tire in a half windson knot something that.
Speaker 3: May shuck and discrete. You, I'm not wearing a tie at all, but just the vamping while he's getting it round. Yeah, I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Speaker 1: I'm not wearing it. It's so confident and the jury believes it. Who then questions himself no further questions as the ti tanking out of his sleeve. This sums up the sheer stupidity of Springfield, because yes, we have to suspend our disbelief. Then he turned and faced to the courtroom, arguably the jury as well. All this in front of them, so we're supposed to believe that they didn't see that. But still it's funny, it is. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpson's reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, speaking of the Hill, talking Sifould, the one about friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount over dinner Now, Hut says to the kids, I don't think your mum's going to be going to prison. They're all happy, and Lisa compares him to a modern day Clarence Darrow. Is it the black guy from the Mod Squad? No, that is who guy.
Speaker 3: That is Clarence Williams, the third, a fine, fine actor, no longer with us, but yeah he played link on the Mod Squad. Ah, yeah, which we can and that's correct. Yeah, I mean you're aware of the Mod Squad. Now that's about the eighteen it's closer to twenty one Jump Street. Hard to not watch any of those three shows. Okay, this is the height of the counterculture, you know. But so you're hippies, you got all that kind of business. But TV doesn't really want to see too much about that. But they do love cop shows, so what they what you've got is like, well, yeah, there's all manner of crime, you know, with the kids these days. But you know, they're not going to accept a square like me with my coat and tie. We're gonna have to send in some more modern types. We're gonna have to make a mod squad. And so you've got a white dude, a white girl, and a black dude.
Speaker 1: So the twenty twenty five version of the Mod Squad would be guys who meet modifications to PlayStations.
Speaker 3: And your computer needed boost in get the Mod Squad. Uh yeah, and you actually remade it into a movie ba Can like the late nineties with like clear Danes. Really, yeah, it is. It called the Mod Squad. It's called the Mod Squad. Memory.
Speaker 1: It was like, no, at the beginning of the trend, we don't want this Books of Hazard, we got the Starsky in Hutch was another one the A team.
Speaker 3: We talked about this on the movie with Marlin Davis. I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got TV shows just getting reboots, correct, Yeah, none of them.
Speaker 3: Really all that good. No, When I think when we talked about Mission Impossible, the fact yeah that during the nineties was like, let's get all these TV shows and make them to me, and they're exactly two good ones. You're a fan of swat, aren't you? No, not really.
Speaker 1: I thought you said you're a fan of SWAT. You thought because Colin Farrell was in it. I'm pretty sure you said you were a fan of SWAP. You talked about Colin Farrell is a Colin Farrell film that you were a fan of, and let it was like it was Miami Vice Momy Vice. I apologized, Yes, I knew it had Colin Farrell in it. Colin Colin Farrell is in both Swatt. Yeah, yes, indeed, because it's not a TV show, it's what is a TV show?
Speaker 3: Is T show? It came from the seventies. Yeah, it's not that great if you want a good laugh. I'm not sure if it is the opening credits of SWAT, but was something I saw recently when I was doing one of my YouTube deep dives. It was like an opening credits thing, and all the members of the SWAT team are like when they introduce them, they're like jumping through windows or doing these really impractical kind of moves that just show how cool they are.
Speaker 1: It's like, this just doesn't seem right. Yes, but oh he's in SWAT, but he was in Miami Vice. Swat not a good movie. Mimy Vice A great movie.
Speaker 3: Not Clarence Darrow either. Not Clarence Darrow. Shall we talk a bit about Clarence Darrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is known, he made He became famous in the nineteenth century, I believe. I don't think I've written down my notes, but basically he represented a lot of unions.
Speaker 3: Became famous in the nineteenth century for high profile representations of trade union causes, but also criminal matters in the twentieth century, including representing the Gillers, Leopold, and Lobe. And yeah, there's also one called the Scopes monkey trial, which was I think it was the state of Tennessee wanted to outlaw the teaching of evolution in schools. They're like, no, God, create a man, none of this. We were not here otherwise, none of this monkey business. Hired those bones, Yes, and yeah, I think there was a teacher called Scopes. He was like, no, no, we're teaching evolution. That's the real deal here. And Darrow very high provolowyer represented him. So yeah, I mean he was kind of shorthand for like big gung lawyer.
Speaker 1: But this is where Bart says, too hearts, I want to be a lawyer when I'm older, just like you and there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers. Can you imagine a word without any lawyers?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: So Beck has used a lot of just a vision of world piece.
Speaker 3: Essentially, it's like it's like the well they are they actually using the I'd Like to they wanted.
Speaker 1: They wanted to use I'd like to teach the World to sing from the Coca Cola commercial, but they couldn't get the rights to it, so they did.
Speaker 3: Something that sounds similar.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie I never put two or two together. I didn't think of that commercial when I heard this, I just saw it as like a world peace harmony song.
Speaker 3: I got the coke thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for those of you who were about spoiling anything, fans of mad Him, we know exactly what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this next bit was kind of odd to me. So it cuts two huts resting the case, but he's not wearing any pants, and it comes across me just shaking his head, and I was like, okay, So I came out of absolutely nowhere. Why is he wearing no pants? What is going on here? Because he got so confident in his abilities, he well, I can treat myself to a drink and he's just taking up, you know, one sip too far and now he's showing up in court with it doesn't seem drunk. No, No, she's not wearing pants anyway.
Speaker 2: I moved for a bad court thing.
Speaker 4: You mean a miss troll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where you're the judge and I'm the law talking guy.
Speaker 3: The lawyer.
Speaker 4: Right, the foreman will pass the verdict to the bail of This verdict is written on a cocktail napkin, and it still says guilty and guilty is spelled wrong.
Speaker 1: This is the thing is where that's where they said that she's guilty. Right, Well, he gives him the napkin. It still says guilty and it's guilty spelled wrong. But the thing is, so are we meant to believe that she didn't get off because of this part? Because I'm a little confused, But this is where the starts to sort of because last time we saw the court room, they was like, oh, oh my god, maybe he is wrong, maybe I did get it wrong. And then it's just like, no, she's still guilty. But this can't be the chain of events that results in her being them turning their opinions.
Speaker 3: This is where it goes.
Speaker 1: I want to say off the rails, but oh well, it's it's shaky. Yes, okay, the ride gets a little bit.
Speaker 3: Little shake, shake, shake, share, shaky, let's shake.
Speaker 1: It isn't it that song? It is is Moally Cyrus's brother, that guy.
Speaker 3: I believe. So the band is metro Station. Metro Station? What a song did they do? Shut up and dance with me? Shut up?
Speaker 1: That's a similar kind of vibe. It's not the same. Yeah, okay, metro Station. Wow, I can't believe you remember that?
Speaker 3: And I didn't A big fan of the Cyrus Klan. Yeah, don't, huh. But Marge, tune into going down to south Park and check out an episode you got f in the a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just check it going down to south Park. Great show, we just did that the Jeffersons. You'd be ignor if you be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Margin gets taken away and Martin Liszt says, you're still my hero. Mum Bar says your bus route it just needs a cocktail dress and a crowbar. That's the Bartina Bartina. Yes, I've got a story here that down I go right, I've on't ever heard anyone use this in real life once and I was at high school and I knew the reference when he said it, and it was a guy who was a new kid of school, wasn't not necessarily friends with him. He hadn't been there for like two or three days, and we're on our way to class. We meant to go up and downstairs. It was at Gelong High School, the big Win Stanley building, whatever it's called, and you had to go three flight of stairs, R up the way and he's going up. It was almost like yeah, both arms full and he starts sort of falling over and it's just like slow motion.
Speaker 3: He goes down.
Speaker 1: I go and it falls down. I was like, is that the Simpsons refitly goes Yeah's one of my favorite bits from the episode.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, we're gonna be best friends.
Speaker 1: Him going down, I go eight shit, books go everywhere. Yeah, Crab, James Crabb, do you one of my grooms on at my wedding? One of my best friends still to this day. And that's where their friendship developed. From down, I go over. Then says he's going to miss Marge, not just for the sex, but the food prep as well. Skills with the stains of all kinds. But he also missed how lucky you make him feel every single morning.
Speaker 3: That's nice.
Speaker 1: That's what modern Simpsons is missing now. Oh sure, yeah, because you believe it. Oh yeah, yeah, there's gag, gag, gag, ridiculous silly Homer. But no, he at the end of the day he loves this. Oh yeah, one percent. Yeah, it's a lovely expression as well. Just have you lucky, lucky you are to wake up? Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they drag her away essentially, and who says, well her behind bars our story of secure like he's showing no remorse, no, no, but like the last we saw him, his second thoughts at all, last we saw him, he realized he was wrong anyway, But Snakes taking Ustore to Mexico and that's the end of that chapter. Then it's like the final little bit here. So Marge's arriving at the Women's prison, a prison for women. She enters her cell very much here, introduces herself and she meets Philips, a woman who is in there court Phillips because she killed her husband with a Phillips and a screwdriver. They're eating dinner in March. It's just so nice, not having to cook back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very bright side.
Speaker 1: I think this episode would have benefited from an extra five minutes or so of just these kind of bits of March adjusting to prison life. You know, we don't see any negatives to her being in prison besides the fact that she doesn't get to have sex.
Speaker 3: But again, maybe that's the joke in terms of like, oh my god, she's been so busy taking care of so many people. Now she's in like what you would regard it generally the worst situation. I mean, no one wants to go to jail, and she's kind of like, oh what it was like a holiday, someone's actually good. Yeah, She's like she's going to Rancho relaxo. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what I wanted to touch on the start and I didn't get to it was that we already got a similar story of Marge leaving the family and it going to ship with Homer alone, which is the previous season. Yes, so it's almost like they wanted to do the same story, but how can we do it. She has to go to jail, but she wasn't away for long enough justify any of this because it just goes to shit.
Speaker 3: So quickly. Absolutely, But for her to be like, oh, you know, yeah, someone's making dinner for me, it's like, oh, I've got all this time to myself, et cetera, cetera. Yeah, I mean yeah, they just don't don't expand on it enough, not at all.
Speaker 1: But she also meets, so she did, and dinners get Phillip says, well, didn't your your husband ever cooked for you? Well, once he's cooking the fish, doesn't yet the lobsters. He's trying to put lobsters in the pot. Then we see tattoo Annie Mad magazine. God rest it so and still exists. I thought mad well, I thought stop, I've got a swarm Mad magazine and end have a look.
Speaker 3: Because there's about twenty minutes before we started recording today, I saw online, well there was a cover of a Mad magazine. Now, whether this was just mocked up by somebody, but it was like the poster for the great horror movie Reanimator, where you know, it's there's a head in the dish and you're a mad scientist behind it, and it's Alfred ALFREDY Newman's head in the dish, and it's Robert F. Kennedy behind him. But it was a Mad Magazine cover.
Speaker 1: It says here, Mad Magazine, this is two years ago. I love this magazine as a kid, and was it's a reprint only apparently as of two years ago. Okay, the magazine effectively folded five years ago. Interesting, So what did you found a new one? Yeah, the end of satire Mad Magazine to cease regular publication.
Speaker 3: That was in twenty nineteen. Okay, hang on one second, but then it says, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Mad Magazine is an American human magazine which launched nine fifth who is currently published by DC Comics.
Speaker 3: So it must have got rebooted. Yeah, Facebook, Mad Magazine. Look what we've reanimated, revived old pieces and all new ones make up our Mad sign Its issue on sale Wednesday, August thirteen in comic book stores.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely got canceled. It definitely got canceled. I did not know it was back. That is good because I used to love going to that. I was that kid that used to go to them and go try and do the folding without bending it to come up. What's a bendit? I've got to pay for it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: That's not happen when no one's I would not be buying a Mad magazine if someone's done the folding, like you have to be the one that doesn't. Yeah, like, it's it's yours. That's what you're paying the money for. You get to do the.
Speaker 3: Fouls at the very end. Yeah, and all the way through. And here's your treat. Yeah that is and they were a treat. All.
Speaker 1: There's a point in life where you get old enough to get the jokes. Oh yeah, the already other this one here is what kind of was? What kind of slime would I marry? What kind of slot slime? What I'm I thinking it is?
Speaker 3: It's not like that? What me worry? Is that?
Speaker 1: Mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Mad Magazine Tato Annie tatoo on her back. Then it's the family meeting home is like, all right, margin's in't here. This is what's going to be going down. I don't want to wash your dishes and washes away, So we're gonna straight from the forest or the milk carton and we're going to eat while standing over the sink or the toilet.
Speaker 3: It's this sounds very practical.
Speaker 1: Then they said, what about magg who's gonna change the diapers?
Speaker 3: Will take its call.
Speaker 1: We let he free the back, yet nature will take its course. Lisa the sugests, if we just do all our fair share, we'll be fine. I think we'll law be gobb to keep this house stable. Ten minutes later, minutes later, yeah, house is completely torn to shreds as an alligator that goes through. It's you think it's just a sight gag. But they paid off in just a few moments. Yeah, they're out of clean clothes. And Lisa says, I feels like we're wearing the same red dress forever. Homer says, go to the attic, the old trunk and close up there, and as much as wedding dress, which he has ripped. We all like to think we can handle these situations, right, husband's men, whatever. But it's pretty fairly accurate depiction of what happens when the woman of the house gets taken away. Well, Nikola went to England for a few weeks earlier in the year, like two to three weeks, and I like to think I had pretty good grass for everything I had. It was all under control. But there were times where you know, little things creeping where you go a little later, See these dishes do them tomorrow, and then it gets to tomorrow You're like, there's only a few there. Oh, the I'm gonna be built up. And it gets to the point when you're like, Mum's back in an hour, quick fix the house.
Speaker 3: Indeed a civilizing influence. Yeah, So either you either you live with a woman and yeah, she is kind of like, we can't live like this, or you live by yourself but you have a woman in your life, it's like, well, she's not going to come over at the houses like this. You know, it inspires you to be a better person. All So, if you said to me, what color is Lisa's dress, I'd say orange. I don't think red dress. It doesn't scream red to me like Marge's necklace screams red. Yeah, I would think more orange than red.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she goes it feels I've been saying that's wearing the same red dress all my life, which is the gag, being that they never get changed, You're always wearing the same clothes. But I never thought Lisa's wearing red. As I was watching go Back and watching reruns, what I Okay, well, I know it's a red dress, but I remember thinking earlier on red really, this seems orange to me, you know it looks I agree with you. Yeah, it's very similar to Bart's orange T shirt. Then Bark compares you that school was comparing lunch to Millhouse, Millhouse as I believe a baloney and she sandwich and he's got a pack of sugar and a peanut butter smear on a playing card. Nelson mocks him because his mum's in prison, so as yours. Hey, let's play, let's friends have something to bond over. Then it's time for prison visit day. Home is wearing the Halloween costume. There Satan, I am evil Home, but this is a whole It's like he clearly wanted to wear this, but the reactions he's getting in Puppy, he's like he's unsure if neither had a moment where you've worn something. You're going, I look great in this, but then when you get outside you're like, I'm not too short now, oh yeah, And he gets real self conscious. Oh, very much so, because it might be a loud shirt or something. You're like, I thought, I thought no one said anything to make you think you couldn't. But it's like, no one's compliment to me either, no, is everyone looking at me and laughing.
Speaker 3: When you take a step outside your fashion comfort zone, it you are usually expecting looking good. You need something. When you don't get looking good, your brain automatically switches to well, I must be looking bad.
Speaker 1: I need to go back and a change to wear the same black shirt I where every day.
Speaker 3: It must be time for as the sky blue Oxford buttons and shirt and jeans. But I always wear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you love your north face, don't you?
Speaker 3: I do very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of people do, apparently everywhere. Now I talk about conspiracy theories. I swear they're taken over the world. Normal they're following the same black, gray white jacket to see everyone wearing.
Speaker 3: I'm too I'm too scared to be individual.
Speaker 1: But says that I mentioned. There's an alligator. We flushed down the toilet, got stuck half ways and now we're gonna Now we're gonna feed it, and Grandpa accidentally feeds it. It's his teeth. Then we get the conjugal visit.
Speaker 3: Honey.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're feeling right now, so I don't want to push anything. We can just hold hands or sit and talk.
Speaker 1: There's actually really nice mode for Homer as well as like, I want to have sex with you, but I'm willing to go No, just hold hands if that's all you're comfortable with. She's like, lay down, kno's the whole trailer over my pantsy on him. Then we were time for at the Beautify our Parks bake sale, and there's this very campy man who wants Marge's marshmallow squares.
Speaker 3: Oh darn, darn, oh darn.
Speaker 1: But they're not there, and then the fifty dollars short, so they can't buy the Lincoln statue they wanted. They have to settle for the thirty ninth President, which is history's greatest monster.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Carter. Yes, they knock it over and the town goes through hell. There are riots everywhere Williams, at least the dogs. They look pretty angry. Yeah, I've been teasing them, starving them, singing out a key me me ma'mo. That is fucking so funny to me me me mama. And they let him to attack him and Maud's this never would happened that March Simpson was around. And then Marge is ready to go home, is leaning against the car.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Apparently this is a similar shot to a scene in Goodfellows in which he gets out of prison and his wife is waiting for him by resting against the car like this, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sounds about right, Rayley. He gets out of jail, the rain Broko was waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Apparently the visual design of it all looks very similar to Good Fellows, apparently according to someone IMDb. Nice Phillips then says that you know, I don't worry Marjor. I'm doing well with meta. Guy is Barney. He says, his name is Holmer. He works at the power plant. And March here, she's two nice to say anything, otherwise she's never getting out. She killed a guy, so let's just let's just let her believe it. Let's just let her believe it. Butt and Lisa and there cleaning up the house because Marge is coming home, gonna sweep it all under the rug. Your man, wise guy. He watch it and it ends with Marge being greeted with a giant welcome home party. Helen Lovejoyce says Sean only use her gossip for good now and not evil. Free cheers for March, and they show off the statue which is just the statue of Kada with a.
Speaker 3: March wig, but also it says March forever as opposed to Malaise forever. Yep.
Speaker 1: If it's just got her head on her hair on top, as you said. But and Lisa now using the statue as a ted the ball station. And that's the end of the episode. So a really strong start, an entertaining middle, and a rushed ending.
Speaker 3: Rushed that's the best. That's a very polite way of putting it, Yes, and a very diplomatic way of putting it.
Speaker 1: You sit down and go, what is the point of this episode? Is it just Marge goes to prison or is it everyone needs to realize how pivotal Marge is now important March is to not just a family, but Springfield, and how do we execute that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think there are two separate episodes. I do. I think the town needed to realize we rushed the judgment and we let our own worst impulses sort of come to the fore. And I think they needed to take a good, long, hard look at themselves because of that, I think, which it never really does.
Speaker 1: I think you needed for if you want to tell both these stories in the one episode, you want to be a Margin Prison episode. She really needed to be in prison by the end of the first act. That needed to be the first commercial Marge going to prison. You need to get the court case and the coronavirt yoursaka Flu all done out of the way, because that sort of goes on a long time.
Speaker 3: It's editing, It goes on a long time. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think, Well, but you need to play out the insanity margins going through as well.
Speaker 3: That's true. Look, we're sort of speculatating stuff that didn't happen. It feels like the court case stuff and the osaka Flu stuff in the first and second acts feels more entertaining than anything anything they could do with Margin Prison, if you know what I mean. I mean, look, I'm sure if the riders sat down, like, let's come up with fun scenarios while Marge's behind bars.
Speaker 1: It's probably why they do that week because I mean, granted, the stuff in the prison that we got was entertaining. We got the at tattoo and he was a good gag. Yeah, we get her pantcy on Homer with a good gag. I just think there was a lot too.
Speaker 3: I get the villain that I'll probably spitballing ideas in the writer's room for like entertaining, Yeah, what's fun for margin prison? And Yeah, they just sort of crunch the thumbs and realize we're coming up with more entertaining stuff with huts in the court room. Yeah, let's let's drag out the courtroom stuff a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I just think if you're going to do that, though what she did wrong needs to be worse, it still has to be an accident. There's been more than just accidentally taking a bottle of bourbon from the Quickie mark Like, that doesn't to me justify thirty days prison. How many time do we see snake? I suppose State goes to prison, but Homer's done so many wrong things he hasn't gone to prison. It just seems like, I don't know, it's not a bad episode.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no. I got a lot of the enjoyment out of this one for me.
Speaker 1: I don't say this very often for Golden Near episodes is one where you kind of need to switch the brain up and just go with it. Yeah, which I don't recall ever feeling this way watching it previously, but when you're reviewing it, you're going this doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: Foundations are a little flimsy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we need to also throw a shout out to our patrons, right, oh yeah, they actually didn't vote for this episode. They voted for Hurricane Nenny. But then we realized that we already reviewed Hurricane Nenni two years ago with our man from the best Simpsons collection ever. Oh okay, worst Simpsons collection ever, but you know best Simpson Man Michael a couple of years ago, which is already Apple on our feed, and we thought, well, why are we going to review the same episode two years later. We haven't touched on margin Chains for a while, so apologies, guys. We do appreciate your voting for it. But hey, you got margin Chains reviewed.
Speaker 3: Hopefully you're happy with that. Please please get patronized again. You're going to be happy with that. You'll be happy with Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to be coming up with a new theme for next month's quiz, Paul should say on the Patreon page. So if you are a supporter of ours on Patreon, you get to decide which classic review we go back and review for the Guy and spread for monthly specials. It's always ever episode from the first ten seasons, so we'll think of the theme. If you're support of az on Patreon, you get to vote and decide which one we do. You get all of that bit one Patron, you mean, there's a better way to vote. But thank you guys for all of your support at four Finger Discount. For everyone who was watching us on YouTube, hit that subscribe button, give us a thumbs up and come up blow and tell us what you thought of margin chains, what you think of fourthg a Discount, and general. We'd love to hear from each and every single one of you. If you're listening to us in podcast world, we would love to for you to give us five stars on whatever app it is you're using to listen to the show and leave us some reviews there as well.
Speaker 3: We'd love to read all the reviews, especially the good ones.
Speaker 1: And if you can't support us on patroon, as we've mentioned several times in this podcast, we would appreciate that as well. For as little as just one dollar per month, you can keep the lights on here at the four Finger Discount Network, get access to over one hundred hours of exclusive content, and get all these shows early and add free, no pesky ads early and ad free. But this has been our review of March in Chains. We'll be back next month with another guy on Springfield, but for now us to Davis. Any final words for those incredible viewers slash listeners out there.
Speaker 3: It's like they always say, watch por Finger disgame, it'd be damned for all eternity.