Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome back to SOS Stories of Survivors. I'm your host, Serrina Dansker, and today's episode is about awakening. My guest today is here to talk about the moment when life as you know it disappears and when you're left with the question, who am I now? Maria Garcia was just twenty five years old when a massive stroke left her locked inside her own body. She was unable to move or speak, and what followed were years of frustration, grief, but grit and determination as well, and a rebirth of her spirit. Through her platform. Genuinely, Maria, she now helps others reclaim their lives, their health, not just in body, but in heart and in soul. Maria, welcome to the show. I'm so deeply honored to have you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you for yon pleasure.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Well this is such an amazing story. Can you take us back to the time when you first realize that something was wrong, something was happening in your body.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was talking to a boyfriend on the phone, sitting out my bed, and all of a sudden I start to say things like the red ocean is underneath the get to the table, and I'm like what what does that even mean? Because I watched myself say it if I was the third person wow outside of my body, and I was like that, I don't know what that was. And then I said something else that made no sense, and then suddenly I was able to get out. I used to go, I need to go, and I hung up on the phone. And as soon as I hung up, I got the worst headache I've ever had in my life. It was like somebody went bam with a metal pan on my head.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I fell into my bed, no position, And then I knew some things up now.
Speaker 1: Was there were there any signs before this happened? Like, were there any things that led up to that first moment that you can recall?
Speaker 2: Or if I really think about it, probably two or three these fire I had a weird feeling like writing up my body, and I remember going to the pharmacy like in the middle of the night, maybe two or three him was that related? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So you were only twenty five years old, so young, full of plans. How how did you know you feel when you were in that fetal position and your body wasn't responding anymore?
Speaker 2: Well? To be honest, I thought I had food poisoning. So because I just at lunch and we had a shrimp, so that was my first My first thought, I'm food poisoned. I never thought what was happening was that it was that a stroke because I didn't even know that word it consisted.
Speaker 1: Wow, So can you talk about what chance? So you're so you're in the fetal position, So what what what did you do? Did you go to the hospital with the food?
Speaker 2: A friend of mine was in the house and he heard the commotion in the room, so he came over, saw me lying down in the fetal position, called my mother, who was living on the second floor. Oh good, and she came down, just said, began to puke. They called the ambulance. Ambulance came. They actually came and left because they two thought it food poisoning and they didn't think of serious.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's such a fail on their part. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well they didn't.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't think somebody my age was capable of having a stroke. So what did you do after they left?
Speaker 2: After they left, I got worse and worse, and so we ended up going to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Your mom, no, your friend, my friend. Wow. And and when you go into the emergency room. They were like, oh, stomach thang, just sit over there.
Speaker 2: Well I waited probably something like it felt like ten hours, but it was probably more like two or three.
Speaker 1: Did you have like did you feel like your your jaw slack and your m going Now? I'm like, you know how stroke victims normally find they can't control their body.
Speaker 2: I didn't really feel it, but I was told that my face was drooping and what I felt was vertigo, extreme vitigal. I couldn't walk straight and told on to people, Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, that's crazy. So once they you were in the hospital, they were able to diagnose that you were having a stroke.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I had a couple of tests, probably three hours there, and finally so many books over and says, oh, miss, we think you're a stroke. And I was like, okay, so much for food poisoning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, stroke. I had no idea, You had no idea what it was. So what did they do for you when you have a stroke? Do they just put you in the ICU or you know.
Speaker 2: What happened to me is they transferred me a different hospital, one that specialized Wow. And it depends on what type of strokeer having. If it's a clot, they can give you medication called CPA and then you don't really have a side effects or all the stuff that is, I don't know, the sexy boys and not being able, so all that goes away or it doesn't eff too because it busts a clot. Okay, but they didn't know if my stroke was a clot or it might mean for first because if it's a breakage, it.
Speaker 1: Could kill you. Wow.
Speaker 2: It never gives me.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what did what did they prescribe? What do they do? They just well nothing.
Speaker 2: I got transferred. There was beefs now on the ground. It was Sunday, so there were no doctors or oh my gosh. So I was scheduled for surgery the following day.
Speaker 1: So what kind of surgery do they do?
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's called. But the procedures entered a type of balloon and you're growin and it goes up through your brain and to bust the clot.
Speaker 1: Wow. So they were able to find out that there was a clot in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after many hours.
Speaker 1: And by the time they did that and you've done with the surgery, what was it like? You know how to describe how you're how you felt afterwards.
Speaker 2: Well, they was considered a medical success, okay, but to me it did not feel that way at all because when I came out of surgery, I couldn't move, I couldn't talk, I couldn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Really, so you were like a prisoner in your body. Oh my gosh. So how what's that like when you're aware but you can't tell people that anything? So how did you communicate?
Speaker 2: I didn't for two weeks?
Speaker 1: Could you blank or any of it?
Speaker 2: You could? That's whole the story. So, yeah, I was able to blink, but everybody thought I was a nicoma or an a vegitative state.
Speaker 1: Oh so they.
Speaker 2: Called my eye movements involuntary.
Speaker 1: Wow. So okay, so your your mind is awake, your body is still You're trying to let people know, So how did you How did you make them aware that no, I'm not in a vegetative state.
Speaker 2: I was actually a friend of mine over with pictures of a trip we took to Brazil and she saw me tracking the pictures with my eyes right, and she still everybody and they're like, oh no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: She's not there.
Speaker 2: But then I guess my family said, well, let's tell her bank once for yes and toys for no SAP work, and of course I did it. Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes you really, I'm learning more and more you have to advocate for yourself because the doctors, as educated as they are, they lose sight of the big picture a lot of the time. Lottimes, you know, and it's and it's and it's it's scary really And you know what's.
Speaker 2: Really scary is that health is a business, so it doesn't you're a number. Really, it's all for profit, and the stuff that goes on is just mind boy.
Speaker 1: It is. I mean I was looking at my mom just gets noticed that, oh, all the doctors that you rely on now are not part of your insurance plan anymore. So you need to either change doctors or change insurance plants. She's eighty seven years old. Who in the world once there's are doing that. I mean, I just I could go on and on about insurance and the whole medical field.
Speaker 2: And scared there.
Speaker 1: Wow. So during those hospital and we have days when you were struggling to be recognized and that you were there, what what kept you holding on when giving up might have just been easier. What was your Why did you just keep trying to get recognized?
Speaker 2: And I think of so in shock. Oh what was happening? It was to me was surreal, totally surreal.
Speaker 1: And you're like, what the f right?
Speaker 2: I didn't know what was up or down?
Speaker 1: And just well, that's crazy, you know, that sense of being trapped, but yet somehow still reaching toward life. That's where your soul is like fighting to survive, you know. And I think that you have that inner spirit that you were like when your friend came with those pictures and you're like tracking and she's like, oh, you're awake, guard you and you're like, you're damn right, I am. What you're saying with your right that was your soul, And they're saying, I'm not ready to go. I'm here and don't discount me, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm so desperate and afraid.
Speaker 1: And of course, of course, I mean, this is your twenty five year baby. How would you even know you never even heard of a stroke before. How to get these people to listen to you? But that's when I think also God in the universe and our guardian angels kind of come in and send your friends or people that can help you get to where you need to be. Oh my god, I can only imagine how painful it must have been to relearn everything painful? It's the talk about that, but walking, talking, eating? What was the hardest part for you? Emotionally too?
Speaker 2: Everything? Wolf was the hardest part was watching what I could no longer do. Then I used to be able to do, and then there was all of a sudden, I can't do that. I can't feed myself, I can't talk. I'm twenty five and I'm wearing an adult diapers.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you were living were you're still living on your own? No, you weren't able to live on So what where did you let you look back with your mom? Or? Wow? Did you have to have to have care to come in to help changes? Oh oh honey, that's gotta be so hard now, So how did you learn to walk again and talk? It was just.
Speaker 2: Painstakingly slowly. I lost hope basically when I went home after months, because I've been home four months. I want to rehab hospital and I thought to myself, well, I'm gonna go home and now be totally fine. Because I had no old reference for a stroke, I didn't know I should have been paralyzed right right. So I figured I'm gonna be all patched uff soon and no, it'd just be like I'll go back to my normal life.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really thought. And there was no Internet, not that you could have googled anything because you couldn't move your handswer or done any of that. So wow, that's just crazy. So you've said that losing your voice felt like losing your identity. I think can you talk about how it felt to not be interested or to not have your words come or have your words come out differently than they did before.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I was so ashamed, really shaped. Yeah, like I brought this out myself or something.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. But but but that's that's not what happened. You can't bring a stroke upon yourself. I mean, I don't know what causes strokes. I I don't know if you've done research and have learned anything about that A little bit not to watch, Yeah, I I have. I have a friend that I played tennis with, and she was a little older than you, she was probably forty, and she too suffered a stroke, but not as debilitating as yours. She was able to fully recover, probably, I mean she still struggles a little bit with some things, but for the most part. She plays tennis and she's you know, she her voice is good. And she said she still doesn't know what caused it. And she said to ask you.
Speaker 2: She says, if she knows, it's probably different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I was told that the hospital was that the only risk factor was birth control.
Speaker 1: Really, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Exactually and the inserts.
Speaker 1: Oh that it can question. Yeah, well, they put so many things on the inserts. If we read every word, Wow, interesting, that's that's really interesting. Could be medication. Hmm. So can you talk about you're when you started to speak and different words would come out, what you didn't mean to, How how you were able to cope with that and and and eventually correct that.
Speaker 2: When I began to speak, I was actually not saying incorrect words, but my words were I could only speak one syllable at a time. Oh, and my voice was very ready.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of sexy I do have to tell you, Maria. So I, I mean, I've heard you describe, you know, about a moment where you were handed a hairbrush. You want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: So I was still in rehamp I was living in the rehamp I had a gun home yet at the very beginning and the first day I went to therapy, my therapist gave me a hair brush, and by this time I was moving my right arm, and my family had brought me my laptop, and I was communicating with your the laptop. Oh good, I couldn't talk, so I would just with my right hand. Wow, that was so amazing. When my brother brought my lips, I was like, Wow, this like freedom.
Speaker 1: So that gave you hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's big.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I had a way to communicate. Wow.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm in therapy with the hair brush, and the therapist says, just comera, and I thought, right easy, So I got them hair burst about here, couldn't even touch my head, and all of a sudden, I was like the realization hit me of the really long road I had ahead of me, and I started willing just I lost.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I don't blame you. It's overwhelming. I can see it now. I see it with my mom as she gets older. I can definitely relate to that because it's it can be daunting and you don't know you're really in the unknown, and you're at the mercy of the doctors, and you have to assume that what they're doing is really what you need. It's just it's it's crazy. So did you feel like depression?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I was stuck in that yme stage for m probably at least five years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean when I went home and I went home in the wheelchair and diapers, my eyes were crossed, mice got crossed. Oh honey, no that I crossed anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but your eyes aress. So now your mom looked on the second floor. So did they have to build a ramp? And how did they know?
Speaker 2: They they moved down to my apartment.
Speaker 1: So that was and that was the wheelchair accessible? Did you have to know?
Speaker 2: I don't even recall. I don't think I was the house much. But there are only a few stairs down, so maybe somebody held on to me while.
Speaker 1: I was on the railing or no carriage, yeah, or carried you down maybe wow.
Speaker 2: But then the wheelchair didn't fit through any of my doorways, so right when I got home. That's funny, gradually using a walker at home because I had to.
Speaker 1: I had Well, that's determination, right, It's either sink or swim, and you decided to swim or walk. So you had started walking during rehab, so they had gotten.
Speaker 2: You that or or no, not really, I mean they had used as standing table. But I was able to walk.
Speaker 1: What role did your family play? I mean in keeping that spark alive in you that gave you that fight.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there were my lifeline. They really were when I went home. I remember my brother came over every single day to go to me through workouts. I couldn't even really work out. Any would make me do squats holding on to the rail because I couldn't do it otherwise. And we also had a recoming bike, the kind that you can sit on like a regular chair, and so my mom took me to the bike. I put my feet on the pedals, my feet went. They look verd off. I couldn't even keep my feet on. That's how week I was.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So my mother what did she do? She died that's good, that's a good mother.
Speaker 1: She tied them to the pedal. And then you had to use sheer determination to I didn't they get the Oh BlimE.
Speaker 2: They were the ones that were like, you've got to do this. I was like, I don't like you people. Wow, time I thought they were like sergeants and I did it every second it.
Speaker 1: So when you look back, was there a turning point or a moment when you stop seeing yourself as broken and started seeing yourself as becoming someone new? Who am I now?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that came on very slowly. But the beginning of that was when I could finally walk and I wasn't using a cane or anything. I joined the gym, and at the gym there was yoga, and I figured I might as well because it's stoptable. I don't have to do everything and I'll just do the best I can. It was such a powerful mental exercise. I could not believe it. The black cloud that was over my head finally lived.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I can so relate to that. There's something about yoga. It really is. I mean there is. When I was in some of the darkest times of my life, I went to this yoga class and it was during COVID, and it was it was crowded, but yet I have your masks on and you were able to do the yoga. But the instructor, and I've had him on the show, there was just something about the meditations he put us through and and just the journey through the poses that was lifting that dark about it really is. Wow.
Speaker 2: I also had a friend who was going through a really tough time and they didn't and they were like, the noise stopped. The boys that was in my ear all day just stopped.
Speaker 1: And I thought, Mom, there's something to be said about that. Wow. You know, so often healing isn't just about returning to who we were, but it's about growing into who we were meant to be, really and and I think yoga helps us find that inner soul that in a spark that spirit within you know. Wow. So let's talk about how you know, you eventually turned to nutrition and holistic healing as you were, I guess, as you were struggling to figure out how to recover from the stroke. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I did all kinds of things. I I was thiring noodles at the all. I did hypermeric oxten therapy. I did therapy in Germany for six weeks.
Speaker 1: I believe was do you speak German?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's that's convenient and you remember now to right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I lived in Germany in my twenties. Okay, so in my early twenties.
Speaker 1: So how how many. How long had been going on before? Had you been in recovery? I guess, well they were in rehabilitation before you moved to.
Speaker 2: Germany probably something like five years.
Speaker 1: Wow, five years?
Speaker 2: And then I went to Germany for six weeks do that therapy?
Speaker 1: And what what? What did that entail?
Speaker 2: It was in the middle of the Black Purst Wow. Yeah, and it was a really awesome naturopathic center. So they didn't use medications, and it was I remember doing red light therapy. I remember them making me hike.
Speaker 1: They nature, that's that's fine.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it or did it the best I could.
Speaker 1: But right, wow, Now did you still use a walker or a cane or anything?
Speaker 2: Germany?
Speaker 1: Wow? So you had really come a long way in that five years.
Speaker 2: Well, I had done a lot of stuff. I had done stems injections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow. And what was that like?
Speaker 2: You know, I was doing so many things at one time that I don't know what exactly was helping.
Speaker 1: That's I could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everything little thing helped someone I don't even know. I was doing well then, Christmith, then I was. I did all kinds of things, anything that I thought would give me back any semblance of a normal life. I was twenty five. I had to get back to right and well your life.
Speaker 1: And by the time you went to Germany, now you're thirty, so life has looked pretty different for you at that point. What was what was life looking like for you? Then? Would you still have your boyfriend or now we.
Speaker 2: Broke up because he was living in London and I have thirty five four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's just too much. It was a lot, and you were working on you and sometimes that's really what you have to do, right is sometimes you little the noise go away and you focus on on being the best version of yourself. So after Germany, then what did you do? Then?
Speaker 2: What did I do?
Speaker 1: Your voice was returning your.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything was coming back a little by little. Just I definitely didn't speak anything like I do today, and that this only happened fifteen years after the stroke, and not only when I changed my nutrition.
Speaker 1: You're a nutrient, so let's talk it. So you turned to nutrition and holistic healing, right, and and I guess what threw you to what you should tell us what drew you to that path?
Speaker 2: So I was interested in nutrition already because in the time since my stroke, I had been macrobatic. Then I went pescatarian. Then I went regetsarian, just to see what happened. Yeah, to see if it gave me any games. And I don't know if it was so many things that once.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You weren't sure, but but it was something that that intrigued you.
Speaker 2: And I thought, well, I saw an ad for a program for non nutrition. And this is already fifteen years after the stroke, and I had already been bought old for at least five to seven years. I'd stopped covering at maybe seventy percent.
Speaker 1: So at seventy percent, you had balance, you could walk, you were able to to talk, You had a voice, not like it is now, but at least you can hear your own voice again.
Speaker 2: Right, I could have just nice, but still like, it's a lot of things I couldn't do that I used to do.
Speaker 1: So then you started to focus on your newttrition, right, and how did that transform you?
Speaker 2: My God, that gave me my life back.
Speaker 1: Was amazing? Talk about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, I could not believe it. Fifteen years after this stroke, I went through a course on nutrition, and I thought I would just learn something new.
Speaker 1: Like a college course on nutrition or it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a college course.
Speaker 3: That was just it was a different course, just put it on by somebody online, right, right, And I thought, I'm just gonna learn something new.
Speaker 2: Sure, I didn't have any other intentions beyond that. And but what happened was six months from the start of the program, I had recovered another twenty percent and I got my life back. I do not believe it.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. So the person teaching that course, did they know about the benefits that nature and has for people who have gone through strokes or was it just something you stumbled across.
Speaker 2: It was just something I stumbled to grow because they do not in their marketing say that it improves conditions, right right, because I think part of the reason they don't talk about that aspect is because it sounds pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure, and they don't want to be liable and say, oh, well it didn't help me when you when you did that.
Speaker 2: What it is and everybody can benefits from improved hydration nutrition, yeah, regardless of what the underlying problem is.
Speaker 1: M h. It's true. Water is amazing and just eating well and so often I'm guilty of it. I don't drink enough water. Sometimes I don't eat when I'm supposed to eat, I drink. If water was wine, I would be golden also. But let's talk about you know how you now coach others through pretty much the same program that helped you. Right, So what's the most powerful transformation you've witnessed from one of your clients? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow, I've seen so many.
Speaker 1: Pick one.
Speaker 2: One of the most powerful ones is this gentleman came to me on crutches, couldn't walk, he had terrible astatic pain, and he was scheduled for an operation. He was an operation within seven weeks asatica released. He can't do all the classes it's online. He's like March Maria and starts swarming place.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, okay, no crustions.
Speaker 2: Not he cancel his operation. And to me that was so blieved because I thought, what does food have to do with SATA? Yeah? To me at that time, I didn't know it had anything to do with it. But now I know it's foundational because if you're getting in your nutrition correct, everything else can stack on that. You're like, your whole life is based on nutrition. I mean, when we take our pets to the vets, The first thing to ask you is what are you feed your pet?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've never been asked what I meaning?
Speaker 1: No? No, they they don't ask us. That isn't that interesting? Don't ask you if you smoke, you drink? Do you do drugs? Not? Do you we eat cookies and ice cream every day?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Because that's the rouquals of pretty much everything.
Speaker 1: Wow. So for someone who's listening, who feels stuck, whether they're an illness, grief, self doubt, what's the very first step they can take to begin their process and healing? What would you say?
Speaker 2: So many things, but I would start with hydration one, that's important. And when you get the right stuff in your body, healing happens because your body wants to real.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how sometimes healing your body also heals your spirit. Yes, and that's the real magic in your story, Maria, it really is. I mean, it's just so beautiful to see how you've blossomed and you come alive and knowing the depths of the struggle that you've been through, it just warms my heart. I mean, you are just amazing, and I just I know that you're grateful for everything that you've achieved, but you've also worked really hard to achieve it.
Speaker 2: I did, and am more frustrated me at the time when I healed so much fifteen years after stroke, I thought, man, first I was happy, but it's also mad as heck because I thought I'd have to suffer for fifteen years. I did if i'd known.
Speaker 1: But I know now, amazing, amazing. I know you've said that you wouldn't take a minute of it back because it made you who you are today. What gives you that sense of peace and acceptance now.
Speaker 2: No longer in the eye of the storm and I can look I can look at it and see it for what it was. That's so powerful, seeing the way people shored up for me and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a special relationship with your brothers, so that's awesome. You've mentioned that this experience has awakened your intuition, your empathy. How do those gifts show up in your life with coaching people today?
Speaker 2: A lot of times I could hear what they're not saying. People say things, but that's not what they mean. Yeah, there's a bing, and so it's easier for me to see what's really at the root of Yeah, what they're telling me.
Speaker 1: That's that's yeah, it's true. You have to kind of feel with a lot of people, are they feel like you did? They feel like like they did something wrong to bring this on, and and just a lot of self you know, uh, recrimination, I guess, you know, against yourself. And it couldn't be further from the truth. You know, you're a victim of circumstances in a lot of situations. But it's really up to you to have the fortitude to move forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's got to do with childhood wounding and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course it does. What does living genuinely mean to you? And how can the rest of us begin to live that way too?
Speaker 2: Being true to yourself. I feel like before the stroke, I was just I don't know, I would say, a mask of what everybody else wanted me to be. And now I just I do what I like a coach, I say what I have to say. Sometimes you don't like.
Speaker 1: It, that's okay. You can be you and it's just and that's what you always should be. You shouldn't hide behind any mask because you're beautiful just the way you are. And I mean, we all have our special superpowers and our special strengths, and so often we try and and suppress that. I just I think that you've been through so much, and what does joy look like for you now?
Speaker 2: So different? So if there were not whereas before, I don't know. I was in my twenties, so I.
Speaker 3: Used to like partying a lot, Yeah, sure, And they used to do a lot of drinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the thing I really do today.
Speaker 1: So what do you do for what brings you joy? Because sometimes you hear people say, oh, well, you know, you gotta live, you gotta have your wine or beer or whatever it is that makes people have. But what brings you.
Speaker 2: Joy Being at the beach, Being at the beach and feeling the sun of my skin.
Speaker 1: Just I love that me too, I can. That is my happy place. I will tell you. I I love beachcombing and looking for seashells, and I marvel at all these little shells. Some of them are like pulverized, and yet others are perfect. And it reminds me of kind of like people. Right you go through the ocean, you go through all your turmoil and things that you go through, and some people get pulverized through it, while others come out and they're shinier and smoother and just more and it just it's just one of my happy places.
Speaker 2: It is really good. And I love hiking. I love traveling. So it's not like the things I was doing before the stroke. It's very different now.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that. What's one word to describe who you were before your stroke? All right, okay, that's cool, that's fair. That's well, it's one hyphenated. And what about one word to describe who you are today?
Speaker 2: Authentic?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, genuine, right, right. How do you have a quote or a mantra that's carried you through your recovery.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say ever montraally carried me through. However, I did your quote when I began to coach that I thought was so cool. It's a quote by Mark Twain and it goes, the two most important days in your life are the day you're born and the day you find out why.
Speaker 1: Oh that is beautiful. I don't think i've ever heard that. That's really I'm gonna remember that that one. The day you were being the day you found out why it's your soul's purpose. Right, that's beautiful. What's a song that feels like your personal anthem. M hm, may something comes on? Yeah, any song?
Speaker 2: What is that song by the Beaches? A little song by the Beatures that I'd love to play a lot.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, Oh, there's lots of songs by the Beg's Stay It Alive. I was just gonna say, don't how about something you wish people understood about stroke survivors.
Speaker 2: Everybody's stroke is so different. Something I wish people had known before to treat me as when I was acrosssied in a wheelchair, everybody assumed there was also bef or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would be.
Speaker 2: Like when they spoke to me, they would speak to me like I was poor, like I was half deaf, and I was like, you don't have to do that. Actually fine. In my head, that just looked different.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, it's it's funny that you say that, because I think people don't know how to talk to someone in a wheelchair with no matter what they have, what disability they have, and a lot of times they almost make them feel invisible. They don't see them. And I think because of the journey I've been on, one of the most profound things I've noticed is that I see people, but more than see them. If I see someone in a wheelchair, I will go up and compliment their purple tires on their wheelchair. I would never have done that before, not because I didn't notice it, but because I felt awkward or I didn't know how to but how to communicate what I was feeling without feeling inadequate myself. And now I realize that it's not about my inadequacies. It's about showing up for someone who just may need to know that I've noticed, I've seen them, and it can make their day again. And felt, Yeah, if you could go back to that hospital room, what would you whisper to your twenty five year old self.
Speaker 2: There's a reason for this and it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so hard to realize that when you're in the moment, isn't it. Well.
Speaker 2: The lucky thing for me is because I had no reference, I did.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing. Oh my god, Maria, your story reminds us that even when the body breaks down, the spirit knows how to rebuild. You've shown us that healing isn't just about walking again, it's about speaking, living and loving again. I'm so grateful that you're showing the world what genuine courage looks like. Can you tell our audience how to reach you if they want to learn about the program that helped you.
Speaker 2: So the best place I'm not in a social media much because I have a bit of a social media allergy. So the blest pace to find me is at my web page, genuinely Maria, and you can book a discovery call.
Speaker 1: Oh not interested in that sounds so genuinely Maria dot com and that would be awesome. And as always I usually close with a poem written by my son Scott, but I've got some exciting news that i want to share with our audience. I'm I've written a book, and my book is about my journey. It's about what I've gone through from losing my son and how I've come through to the other side. But more than that, it also tells his story. It encompasses all of his poems, which we'll give you an insider's view as to what was going on in his mind or the mind of a lot of teenagers at the time. He was really well versed in getting his feelings out through poetry. And I've also have been their letters that I wrote to him during my healing process through a narrative healing class I wrote. And so on November eleventh, I'm going to announce a special offer to our listeners to purchase my book before the genuine the general public. Han. It's SOS, a lesson on love, loss and Revival, and I'm going to just read the prolog to you guys to give you a little taste of what you'll find. Sam. Three booming thuds shattered the silence at one seven am, waking me from a deep sleep. The sound wasn't the drip of a faucet or the hum of the fridge, but fists pounding metal, demanding entry. I ran down the stairs, my heart pounding, yanked open the door. Two officers stood framed in our porch light, their hats in hand, faces full of sadness. Time slowed, the hallway tilted somewhere. Our dog whimpered. A single sentence fell between us, seven words that carved my world in half. I reached for the doorframe, for air, for my son. What you hold, or will hold in your hands, is the story Scott and I now tell together. Scott, my beautiful boy forever sixteen, speaks here through his poems. I speak for the letters I wrote in the quiet hours, through memories that both ache and glow, and through the pieces of a life I had to keep living when his stopped. These pages are soaked in tears, but they are also stitched with hope. I offer them as a place where you can set down your own tears, your own sma, your own tremors, and feel a little less alone. You'll hear three voices woven together, my raw memories, the letters I whispered to Scott in the dark when I couldn't sleep, and his own words, the poems kept exactly as he wrote them. Together they form a braid of grief and love, of loss and resilience, and the bond between a mother and son that even death couldn't break. Scott died by suicide just before his seventeenth birthday. His poems or snapshots of a young heart figuring out the world, unguarded, unpolished, alive. My letters trace the uneven path having someone who's both gone and everywhere. I like to believe this book is proof of something I hold to here, that no matter how far apart we seem, love finds its way back inside. You'll find our soaring highs, are shattering lows, and everyday moments that now shine with extraordinary meaning. I hope our conversation here reminds you that your light matters, that it sparks tender, honest talk about mental health, that it nudges you to hold your people closer. And thank you for choosing to walk beside us. November eleventh, you can go to my web page Serena Dansker dot com. I'll be on Facebook, on Instagram and on TikTok, and I will be giving you all the ins on how to get a copy of my book. Thank you so much for joining us, and Maria, thank you so much for being here, and to our listeners to SOS stories of survivors. I'm so grateful for you. And remember, even after the silence, your voice still matters. I'll see you next week. Sh