Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't know who.
Speaker 2: The hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or turn off.
Speaker 1: Their countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now? Here's nick coffee? I mean it when I say it. I always tried to really live in the moment, remind myself every day how lucky I am to be able to do this. But today's one of those days where I really mean it, more so just because I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off today. Just you know, I won't lie and act like it's been some like super important stuff. I've just been busy. John asked me, I've been running all over town and I haven't. I've set my house all day, just but on the phone zoom calls. You know, work and this you know this is this is work, but you know it doesn't feel like it. I had to do like more real work than usual today, And you know, it made me feel like like I had to grow up. Radio keeps me from having to, you know, truly grow up. I can live a lie that I'm a grown up, but like, really, I just get to play around. It's actually a pretty pretty cool scheme that I've been getting away with for quite some time. John, You're You're in You're in on it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I haven't had to grow up just yet.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, you I mean, you are mature beyond your years. But you know, actually you are. You're too good for this industry, John, because you could probably change a lot of lives in some other sector, right as a business analyst maybe as I mean, you'd be you'd be a good school teacher. I bet.
Speaker 1: I mean you're aware of that. Yeah, but you but you feel like I couldn't do what she does.
Speaker 3: You chose radio, and and you know radio is is is better off having the company man himself. But like, did you know you wanted to do? Like, did you have any idea really what you wanted to do? I know you went to college at WKU and they've got a great you know, media sports broadcasting program. I'm sure I'm not describing that perfectly, but a lot of people who have gone on to have great success in sports media as journalists rather that be writing print or media, online video, whatever, like a lot of them have come from WKU, and John is one of the latest. But did you, like, I mean, if I had told you eight years ago you'd be in this position, would it have completely floored you? Eight years ago?
Speaker 1: I can swhear. What year would that have been? Right at the end of high school?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sixteen?
Speaker 1: I wanted to be in radio at the end of high school.
Speaker 3: Yes, well cool that that now.
Speaker 1: I think I've told you this before though, The very first career I ever wanted to have was a TV meteorologist. Whenever I was, you know, a young.
Speaker 3: Lass, when did that fade? And you were like, yeah, no, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Probably once once I got when you saw Mike Weinberg on TV, and you were like, yeah, I can't be that guy.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't take myself that sid.
Speaker 1: I just think guy, I just think guy didn't want to be in front of a camera, and thankfully in radio you don't have to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. But yet now you have two other shows where you're you're right in front of the camera looking like a million bucks. So you know, life just works out the way it's supposed to work out. That's what I tell myself. But we're here. It is Coffee and Company. My name is Nick Coffee. The company man is the other voice you hear, mister John Olden alongside as we take you up until six o'clock fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program, because you know, life is better when you've got that membership in your back pocket. You save money at the gas pump, stopped in this morning, got the kids their fizz freeze. And even at eight fifteen this morning, man that walk from the front of Thornton's to the vehicle which was at a pump, I mean we're talking about maybe thirty yards at best, and man, those fizz freezes were already melting. I mean it's hot. It was hot outside. It was humid early like I don't even know if the temperature is as hot today as it was on Tuesday, but humidity heat indexes is crazy. But we've got a scrimmage tonight for my son's flag football team, and a lot of the parents are going back and forth about what are we gonna do? You know, But when you get to that late, it's hot, especially for you know. I mean it's even though it's always hot in August, late August, I mean, it's really hot this week, the hottest week of the year. But the heat indecks in humidity usually usually drops by then. So so you know, if the Vikings, I'm not sure what area the Vikings are from in our Cedar Grove, maybe the Vikings may be, you know, hoping for some high heat index so they can get out of a butt whoop in the night. I say that jokingly. I'm not even really sure how they do scrimmages for four and five year olds. I mean, it's flag football. The games themselves are not really games, so a scrimmage is probably going to be even more of like, you know, let's just let them run around and hope they get better. I give the coaches it really all level of youth sports, but you've got to be a patient human being to coach four and five year olds in flag football. I mean, even if you've got good group of kids, which we do, they're four and five and we've got a group of four or five coaches that volunteer their time, and man, they have patience, and it's been it's been pretty fun to watch as a parent because all the parents, you know, at that age, you don't really just drop like you can drop your kid off at practice when he's in middle school or you know, whenever he's seven eight or something like that, whenever, you know. But like my son is four, he just turned forth. He would cry if he saw his drive away while he's in practice, because you know, he's a little kid. So all the parents sit around in our chairs and watch practice, and I've become to I really love this group of kids. Man, I don't know him all that well. I only know him from football, but they become friends and they're having fun. They don't really know exactly how it all works, but our coaches many they are patient in a way that I could not be. And in fact, I've done a good job of and I don't get there till later on in the practice anyway, So parents are there for the entire hour and a half and it is nice to like whenever your kids just kind of goofing on, not being bad, but just you know, maybe not as locked in as you would as you would want, like all the parents have let every coach know, Hey, you gotta you've got to yell at him, do it, because if you don't, I'm going to. And it's just a it's such a process. But anyways, we're here with you on a Thursday afternoon, and I hope you guys will stick with us until six o'clock because we've got a lot to get into today. We're gonna be joined coming up at four o'clock by the one, the only, mister Kendrick Haskins from Way three Sports. Looking forward to chatting with him. And I will let you know, John, I've been ghosted you have by the Austin Pete beat writer.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, he's scared.
Speaker 3: No no response in the Twitter DM, no response in a formal email sent with my iHeartRadio email address to his Gannet email. He works for. He's a Capital J, Johnny. He works for that Clarksville Clarksville newspaper that you know is under the same ownership umbrella Gannet that you know the CJ is. He works for the CEA J Clarksvielle, Tennessee. Did I say Indiana Clarksville, Tennessee. And you know he's too good for the Coffee and Company show. Maybe he heard me talking about Austin P needed to just bend over and take it, and he thought he thought, maybe he you know, he's too high faluting for us because we're you know, knuckleheads on the radio. But he's gotten until he's gotten No. Five o'clock today. If he doesn't respond, then if he does respond after that, I'm gonna let him know it's off. And I better not see him in the press box either, because I'm here. I'm giving him an opportunity to reach millions of people on this show, right and he just is he's too good for us. It makes me want to see them beat them down, even more so on Saturday than they're already going to. You hear that Jeff, Austin P's beat writer thinks he's too good for us. So take that out on the Austin P. What are they?
Speaker 1: The governors?
Speaker 3: The governors? Let's go pee lame anyways, real quick. Last night, Jeff Brom had his first Coaches show of the year. I did not get a chance to hear much of that, but I think some notable updates here and by the way, thank you to Alexis Cubitt. She works for the CJ and she's a capital jay. I bet she'd responded to an email. She does a great job cover in UFL football. She's the beat writer for football and women's basketball for the CJ, and she did a good you know recap, not really recap. She was kind of tweeting along. And you know, I didn't hear this, but apparently Tyler shuck that guy like he's going to be a character. And you know, he's just different because he's old. And I don't mean to act like he's an old man, but like this dude apparently like is talking of he's starting. I mean he's married, right like most people are usually a few years into their career, even if it's at the entry level stage of that. He's still playing football at you know, twenty five years old. He's one of the oldest quarterbacks in the country. And you know, sounds it sounds like he's going to be somebody. When we hear from him after games at a press conference, or we hear from him during one of the weekly pressers to get ready for a game, or after practice, like the media availability for Tyler Shuck. I get the sense is going to be much different. Not to say that he's more entertaining or he's better or worse than any of the other athletes that have come through here that have been memorable when it comes to their interviews, but this guy is really in a different situation. He's played in two different Power five schools already, he got out of high school six seven years ago, and like he's a grown ass man who can play a little ball. So it sounds like they had to probably dump some of what he said because they asked somebody asked him, not sure if it was Paul Rodgers who asked him, if it was somebody that was in attendance that submitted the question, but what was it like in Lubbock, Texas where he came from, which is where Texas Tech is. And he responded by just saying that it smells like cow bleep, But he said the actual word, pretty direct answer. So anyways, I think it came up during the summer. And again it's not like it's I mean, there are a lot of guys who stick around in college longer than most, Like I mean, Jack Plummer was a if your guy last year because of the COVID situation, So old, you know, old old guys being around in college sports will no longer be a rare thing moving forward, because now you have an incentive to stick around because you're gonna make money. And who knows, I mean the NC double A, I mean, have they told anybody they can't come back and their eligibility is exhausted. Miami has a has a tight end on their team who is entering his ninth year of college force college football, like eighth or ninth, it's at least eighth, which is crazy. So like, you know, it's not going to be that rare moving forward, but you know, it is kind of rare to just think about. I mean, this guy when he was coming out of high school. Some of these guys on his team weren't in high school yet. So anyways, Jeff Brown was asked about the Amari Huggins Bruce situation, and it's, you know, from what I've gathered again from Alexis Cubitt, who is on Twitter at Alexis Underscore cub I t it sounds like Jeff acknowledged Tomorrow is back and they're happy to have him back, but it'll be more of a game time decision as far as if he's going to be able to play, So that tells me they have not been given the greenlight to play him just yet, which makes sense now where they get it by game time, I don't know, but clearly they're not going to risk it, so he's in the mix. It's just again, I would imagine at this point, it's just getting the thumbs up from the NCAA that he's going to be able to play, and I hope he is right because there's no negative here. Just gives you another receiver that can, you know, help you out, and you need that with the injury to Colin Lacy. But I'm also gonna be pretty conc I just don't know how they're gonna get him eligible because I was told yesterday by somebody who didn't didn't know this for certain, but they felt like the theory I floated out there as far as how he be eligible is not the case meaning he did not graduate, because that's what the only the only scenario I can see where they were able to figure out a way for him to be eligible would be that the portal did not matter with him because he graduated. Therefore he doesn't have to end of the portal. He can transfer whenever he wants, but he would have to go through through I mean, he's only been in college for three years. This will be his fourth year, so therefore he would have to I mean, and it's not crazy for guys to do, you know, a lot of summer school. And if he did summer school every year and got enough credits to where he did actually have enough to obtain a bachelor's degree and be a graduate, that wouldn't be a shocker. But I was told by somebody yesterday that they don't. They're pretty sure that's not the case with him, So we'll see. There's been a lot of talk about this guy. Uh and there's still really not any indication for sure that he's going to be able to play. I don't think. But anyways, all right, real quick, can we talk? Can we can? We can we have a grown up conversation here about attendance because I used to have the stance of like, I don't want to talk attendance because I can't fake that. I care what other people do. I want U of L to have a great crowd at every event they have hope that I hope every sporting event UFL ever has moving forward, You've got people lined up to the interstate to get in. But I also can't give you the faith, like where were you guys at we had fifty percent compelling? Like I just can't cause again, like who am I to tell people what to do with their time and their money? So I've that's that's where I have resided when it comes to this platform and the crowd, the attendance, empty seats, that kind of stuff. And then last year I learned to take my own advice and not get in the weeds because all it took was one tweet about the attendance being light at the Duke game, and I got everybody coming after me like I'm criticizing the fans when one tweet led people believing that. But if you listen to me even a little bit, you know that I never shamed, like I never get into the crowd conversation because I've never been able to understand how you can go to a game with your hard earned money and look around and see empty seats and then decide that you no long like it's ruined the app, Like why do you care? You can't control it? Like why in sports, there's not one hundred percent of tension on the people who do go to games, rather than shifting attention to people that don't go. I'll never understand, but I did it once last year just because when Louisville was dominating Duke and really bouncing back well from you know, that loss to Pitt and whatnot, like I felt like, you know, there should have been more fans there, and I should have just kept that thought to myself because that that, you know, people like like I was coming after the fan base, which again I don't want to get into that. The reason I bring all this up is because if it rains like they are they're they're predicting on Saturday, there's gonna be a light crowd there. Like, let's just be real here, Like, if it's legitimately raining for a good chunk of the game, even if there is a lot of people there, they're gonna be in the back. You know, they're gonna be in the the covered area drinking beer or you know, in that area that's near the new closed off section where you can actually still see the field but be covered. Like there'll be people in ponchos out there because you know, you're always gonna have people that do that. But like I if Louisville blows Austin P off the field by sixty seventy points and we get callers talking about attendants during a game when it rained and it's Austin P. I don't know what I'm gonna do, Like I'm not gonna be disrespectful to them, but like I just can't. I can't do it. I can't. I can't act like that's gonna be a legitimate talking point because one, it serves no purpose, right, Like talking about attendance doesn't help get more people there. In my opinion, what helps get more people there is when things are going really well and you do have a good opponent, and Austin P's not that, and weather's a factor. Like I don't know, I just I remember doing a postgame show years ago and the tendance was light and weather was a factor, and you know, somebody called in seemingly intoxicated, which, hey, we love drunk calls on the postgame show, right John, I love the drunker the better. He's just got to be ready for the dump button. But hey, you can get hammered and call. Yeah, So either way, I like when you go third person, that kind of works. But I remember this guy called in and he was like, oh out there, my potchow all game, baby? Where was that? And just started, you know, cutting a promo on the fans being fair weather and whatnot. And I just sat there and thought to myself, is this real life? Because sometimes sports does make you remove yourself from real life. In fact, I think it does it pretty often if you think about it, Like the way we communicate with each other within the rivalry, the toxic wasteland that is Twitter, like sports oftentimes is an escape from real life, and we, you know, act in a way we never would if we for a brief second thought, okay, like should I be doing this? Should I be saying this? But like, imagine telling somebody they're a bad fan because they didn't want to sit in pouring down rain while Louisville was up sixty points against Austin p Like again, remove the fanatic side of it and just think about it. Think about you know, just think about being a human being to another human being. Like, even if you you are a jerk as a human being in real life, you just sound ridiculous acting as if somebody did something wrong because they don't want to be out there in those conditions. So I hope there's a great crowd. I hope the weather is you know, I mean, John, you wanted to be a meteorologist. I'm sure you still got an itch. What do you what are you projecting here? Because I'll tell you what our boy, Mark with a C said.
Speaker 1: What does he say?
Speaker 3: And I need to know if you think this is true, because I trust you more than I trust Mark, if I'm being honest here. But here's what he says. Well, he tweets a lot. Now I gotta now, I gotta you know, I gotta keep scrolling. Well, I gotta find it. Basically, what he said is prepare for ponchos. Yeah, here it is. It looks increasingly likely that rain and storms, which by the way, there's a difference there, rain and storms will be around our area on Saturday. If you were going to the UFL game, I think a poncho is a no brainer. So that's that was what he said. I mean, you trust him.
Speaker 1: I trust Aci Weather, which is probably just as accurate as they say the same thing. Seventy percent chance of thunderstorms or rain on Saturday in the Louisville area.
Speaker 3: How how close do you have to get to the actual day before they give you the hourly And by the way, even if they even if I found an hourly forecast for Saturday, I'm not sure how much I would trust it.
Speaker 1: It's like a semi hourly. It's every three hours Saturday, and it looks like the highest chance is a little above fifty percent or the peak I guess what the seventy percent is right between twelve and one, so right around kickoff time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not great because it'd be better if it came late when the game's kind of already done, you know, like out of hand. But yeah, at theweather dot com website, it says thunderstorm is likely in the morning, then a chance of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. High of eighty six. Chance of rain is seventy percent. So, if I'm being honest, that sucks, like the test, the games at noon, like everything about that sucks. Let's just hope that they're wrong. Oftentimes they are. But I just I don't know, like.
Speaker 1: The moisture in the air is gonna be it's gonna be swamp ass at Ellen Stadium.
Speaker 3: Swamp swamp ass to get it started. Huh oh, yeah, that's when you know football seasons here, right, there's all kinds of signs that have been right in front of our face. In fact, you got games tonight we're gonna talk about because I got some picks to share with you. However, like maybe that's the final Maybe that's the incentive for people to go. If you want the final confirmation that football season is here, you be at Cardinal Stadium, Llenn Cardinal Stadium. I should say, get that swamp ass, get a nice base, and then then you're like you can look around and say, what it's here. Football season is finally here, because it's not really here until you get swamp aass. I guess. Anyways, let's just not talk about like attendance because again, like people don't go to games like they used to. It's never been more convenient to convince yourself to watch from home, enjoy your own cold beer. You can actually get more access to what's going on because cell service isn't great at the game, and I love, I want everybody to go to every single game. I just am acknowledging the obvious, which is it's easy for people to say that they're not going to go. And when you're throw in the opponent in this weather, it's an even bigger factor. Is as far as fans just deciding, yeah, this is if there's and honestly, if there's one game, I know it's the opener, and that's you know that there's something about getting the season started. But like there's one opponent on the schedule that you don't care to go see Louisville play. This is it, I mean, even more so than Jacksonville State, who, by the way, for who they are, they're actually kind of good. I didn't realize that. All right, we're loaded the rest of the way. Stick around and we'll let you guys be a part of the show today because we did that yesterday and we had probably I mean, you're the one that's man in the phone lines. John was that his caller driven as we've been like since basketball season, maybe at least since the coaches were hired, right, Yes, yes, so hey, I always throw the number out there here and there. But you know, sometimes there's shows where like you can call in, but like I don't like sometimes this show is not a in a spot to where we're you know, we're doing a whole lot of interaction or whatnot. But hey, the door's always open. So five two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to gives a call, you can text in on the ln N Federal Credit Union text line at five two sixty five three zero seven ninety. Stick with us right here. It's coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, coffee and Company rolling along on a Thursday afternoon here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Uh So, I am somebody who you know, likes to spend money on gambling. Don't win much money, but I love doing it and I have really in the last couple of days. When I do get some free time, I listen to a couple of different podcasts that do talk about college football bets. Right, they just do basically pick them shows, and Louisville is there's a lot for you. Rarely hear a lot about somebody that you know. If you've got the whole board of games which we have on Saturday. Usually if somebody's going to really promote a game that they feel good about, you wouldn't see a lot of Power five versus FCS, especially because when you got a spread that's thirty six and a half, like usually that's a stay away for most people. But both the shows that I listened to when they mentioned like five games, they're the most confident in as far as their pick and their wager, it's Louisville to cover, just because they think Louisville will light up the scoreboard in Austin. P Of course, you know, as an FCS team that you know is probably you know, they're here to get They're here to pick up a check ben, to overtake a spank in and go back to Clarksville. And I think Jeff is probably gonna be fine with putting a bunch of I mean, you gotta think he's probably itching to score an insane amount of points because last year, despite having a really good special debut season, there's no way he scored as many touchdowns as he wanted. He didn't hear that train horn as much as he wanted to hear it when they put six on the board every time, which, by the way, I forgot to mention it the press conference on Monday. It just randomly went off during his press conference, and I mean it probably made it even more eager to get the hell out of that press conference and go start working on the offense. Not to say that, like the offense has issues, but my point is I think Brohm wants to name the score this year, and that won't be You won't be able to do that with everybody you play, obviously, because you're gonna play some good teams. But if there's a team you could name the score, it will be this game, all right. If you guys want to be part of the show, you can five two, five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number? Do you give us a call? Text line Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellen NFCU. You can learn what open your account today at LNFCU dot com. Again the numbers five x two sixty five three zero seven ninety. But let's get to the phone lines here, shall we. We will welcome in day Dave. You're on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening, sir?
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, nick, I got a question about football scholarships at you? Okay, I thought they had. I thought they had eighty five football scholarships before. H Uh, Huggins Bruce, I mean, have they gonna are they gonna give him?
Speaker 3: He's walking on, pardon he's walking on.
Speaker 2: Give any idea. I wasn't listening when you spoke earlier about this.
Speaker 3: Shame on you. You better listen to all all three hours, Dave. You know the drill?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, sorry the uh yeah.
Speaker 3: So Huggins Huggins Bruce is here, he's enrolled in school, he's with the team, he's practicing. They're still waiting to see if they get the green light from the n C double A for him to be able to play, and I I have no clue how this works. The NSA A has never been more unpredictable than now, because nobody really seems to know what the rules are, if there are any, and if you're gonna be punished if you break the rules. But I've always felt like they gotta people, they're gonna have to pull off some kind of a magic trick to get him eligible, because I just don't know how he would be eligible. But maybe they get it. Maybe maybe there's some kind of a loophole that we don't know about. But as far as scholarships, maybe they had one available because you know, they just did. But the day that I the day, the day where the rumors started to really pick up with him. As far as him coming back to Louisville, it was it was gonna be that he would walk on. So Nil may be paying for his his tuition here this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's what I thought. Okay, well, thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave. Appreciate you, brother, Dave's and og man. He's been calling this show for years, and that might be the last sign I needed John the football season's back, or that, you know, the season's back in general, because you know, Dave's always gonna be called in. He's a mainstay football, football season, basketball season. Dave's he's locked in. He was locked in in basketball. He would watch every game, even if they were the worst team in the Power Five, which they were of course. Yeah, I felt like I kind of felt like we were in a joint therapy session a lot, because you know, we would kind of go in circles at times with Dave, not meaning him specifically, but like Dave and I had a lot of the same conversations on this show and on the postgame show about Louisville basketball and Kenny Payne, and you know, it was a wild time. And I don't mean that, you know, in a good way. But hey, we had Dave with us when we went through it, and that made it better. So shout out to uh, shout out to Dave. So now that I've gassed up Dave as a caller, we had somebody on the texting yesterday towards the end of the show that, you know, and it might have been the guy who called in that I had to kind of run. And the text essentially said, you encourage people to call, why would they if you're going to be little of them and and you know, talk over them. And it may just be somebody trying to, you know, get me riled up. But like I in another point, like people who work with my family members, like my wife, Like if you thought that, like I, I, I think what the issue is people who call into radio shows now, they like they don't seem to really want to like be a part of the show, to like care Like I'm all over the place here. But what I'm trying to get at is that if you want to call on the show like and say things, I'm not just gonna be appreciative that you're listening and calling to let you talk for four minutes and may not say a word, and you say things that are untrue or just things that are you know, wrong, Like I want to have a conversation. And I think people in this market specifically have just gotten so used to anybody that gets on the line they can you know, they just kind of turn it into their own show. I mean that happens on the morning show here at seven am, Like yeah, people call in, Damn it turned into their show for the whole hour sometimes. So like that's not what I would ever want to do. I don't think that's good radio. So because I'm having a conversation or I'm correcting someone who says something wrong, or maybe at times it does get like heated back and forth, that doesn't mean that I was mean or disrespectful to a caller. That's how radio is supposed to work. And I you know, somebody told my wife I was mean to somebody on the phone line yesterday.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 3: That's what That's why I'm bringing home, man, And I wasn't no, but she just asked, like what happened, and I'm like, nothing, you were.
Speaker 1: All you did was say you kind of just didn't appreciate the call. Moment after he said the few things that bring correct and maybe it was embarrassing to him.
Speaker 3: We'll never know, But I just don't understand why you would let somebody call in and just know they're saying things incorrectly and let them talk for as long as they want. And I think in a way, it's that people are so appreciated that somebody called in and that they're, oh, thank you so much for calling. You're listening. I'm gonna let you talk because man, I'm just glad you called because that means we got somebody listening. And like, I don't know, I think we got a few people listening right now. And I love when people call and an interacted. The show's better when it's interactive. But like, I just don't like being labeled as somebody that is mean to callers, because I, you know, will go back and forth, and I don't think I've ever been like disrespectful. There's been one time where I did get a little heated and I and I went back and listened, and I thought, you know what, Yeah, I could have said everything I was. I could have made my point, said everything I wanted to say and not been as big of a jerk about it, if you know what I mean. But like yesterday, and I went back and pulled it up so I could. I could so I could defend myself to my wife. I don't wonder thinking I'm mean to people.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: Here's the call yesterday? Is it Danny? I think it was Danny. I mean again, maybe I hear it this time and think, okay, yeah, Nick, you were mean. I don't think I was mean. And yet it turned into somebody on the text line saying, well, people probably won't call now since you're going to be a jerk. And then you know, people telling my wife that I'm, you know, being mean to callers. Jersey probably fitting with everybody else there. Number if he gives a call, let's go to Danny. Danny, you're on Sportsbok seven ninety. What's up?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 4: Nick admitted the UK fan here and just kind of playing Devil's advocate. We we went every year or you know, the past few years we've won. But I feel like when you ask Louisville fans about what's changed their only players, Jeff Brown. We got Jeff brom now. But and I'm being sincere. I'm not I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's like he was thirty six and thirty four at Perdue. Any the big games. You know, every year he he loses the big game, three lost mediocre.
Speaker 3: No Danny, Danny, Danny, Danny. Jeff doesn't lose the big game. He loses the small game. Jeff Brown beat round. Okay, Jeff Brown beat three top three teams at Perdue. Jeff Brown went thirty four. Yeah, and let me tell you listen, listen, let's send Danny before before Jeff Brown was at Purdue, the previous coaches were thirteen and nineteen in four seasons and three and twenty four in four seasons. Him winning at Purdue and making them even relevant for an hour was good work on his part. So look, Jeff wins big games. He you know, he didn't beat Kentucky last year and that that sucked. But his issue is actually he'll win a big game then lose to Pittsburgh like he did last year. So you know, like, and I think you're being sincere. But Jeff Brohm has more coaching ability in one of his testicles than Scott Sadderfield has, if he has any therefore like that, Like if you take issue with Louisville fans claiming that you know it, what do you mean it's different? It's clearly different, Jeff browm. Look, Louisville gets respected by everybody more because Sadderfield's not here and bram Is doesn't mean Jeff's going to beat you this year. I have no clue what's gonna happen. But Louisville football is clearly in a much different world now than they were. And that's not to say the elite. But with Sadderfield, they capped out like they never won a games with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree, I just like I said, I think the argument is just UK's improved, they got new transfers, players, Louisles improved. But it's like it's unfathomable but that that Jeff Brohm could could lose again, or that he's already won or somehow.
Speaker 3: Last year in that game, last game last year, when that game was played beforehand, did did you did you think Kentucky was gonna win? Because I didn't hear a single cars and I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Tell you what. I wasn't convinced they we're gonna lose. And I got a draft kings for Seed. I'll send you because the big Uglies are the SEC. We could literally be the twelfth or thirteenth ranked team in the country this year if everything played out on paper, and we'd be seven and five, and so when we go into a game six and six or seven and five, it does matter. It's like saying, well, throw out the schedules. Well, yeah, if we played in the American League, yeah we'd have or whatever conference Louis has been in.
Speaker 3: It's like, you think, thank you for the call, Danny. I mean if you don't even mean you were way off with a lot of things. You just started yapping about and I had to correct you, and then you don't even know what lee. So at the end, I could have just ran the call. The evidence was presented there for those who just joined us. In the last three minutes. I was replaying a call yesterday to defend myself because I think it's my obligation to defend myself. Nobody else is gonna do it. I wasn't be if anybody I was mean to Scott Saderfield. I made the insinuation that he does not have testicles. He took astray there. It wasn't that guy. I would Danny, and I do belok, Danny, he's being sincere. But like if I'm a bad guy for correcting a caller for simply saying things multiple times without a three minute call that are just flat out not true, Like what are we doing here? Like isn't it my obligation to you know, run the show and not let misinformation be shared. And it's one thing if you would have shared an opinion that it's agree with. He just said things that aren't true, and I thought I was respectful to him, and I didn't cut him off until you know the end. John, I feel like you, after hearing that, now think I was meaner than I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't feel any different than before.
Speaker 3: Okay, you mean that You're not just saying that to be nice to me? No?
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, I yes, I do mean it.
Speaker 3: Just make it sure I'm a nice guy.
Speaker 1: I think the reason that people are texting in is maybe they're afraid to call in, and maybe they're afraid they're going to say something that will kind of embarrass themselves and maybe they don't mean to, but maybe that's why you got people send it in things.
Speaker 3: That and that's why, like I always try to remind people when it comes to calls, like, let's you know, if you want to contribute to the show, like if you want to call in, and you know, you might get on the air to say whatever, like, but like for me, if I want to go to the phone lines, I want it to be something that is, you know, on track, and he doesn't have to you didn't have to be. You can ask a question that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. That's one thing, but like to just turn it into your own show, no offense. This this this is my show.
Speaker 1: Like remember the guy I think this is during basketball at least during the coaching situation. I can't remember the exact time, but it was the guy who was mad that we had him on hold for fifteen or twenty minutes whatever it was, and that's not even long compared to some people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then oh my god, that that's the guy that I did lose my cool on. Do you know why? Because he said one thing that really just made me just turn it up and notch to where I did. Even though I wasn't saying anything super disrespectful, I was just being an ass. I was coming off as an ass because he said, are you gonna let me talk? Whenever I was trying to respond to things he was saying, and I thought to myself, I don't have to let you talk. This is my show, dude, that's the truth. And whether it's not, and you don't want to say that, I sound like such an a hole by this is my show, damnit.
Speaker 1: And I would never want to say that either if this was my show or anybody show for that matter. But at the same time, the callers, they're not entitled anything. Yeah, even and here's the thing. Ninety percent of the people maybe even more than that, who call the shows or great shows are very good people and they're very nice and they're not trying to do what some of the other guys do. And I think Danny's one of those people.
Speaker 3: And then we was it yesterday the day before where we had somebody calling about Prime.
Speaker 1: That was that was earlier this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that was another example to where they just expected somebody to just let you know without having a conversation, Like it's not about cutting people off. But like the dude who called in once once I explained what I explained about Deon Sanders and why I felt the way that I felt. Once he got on the air, he'd completely changed his tune because he just wanted to defend Deon. Whenever I think he realized, like it's not like I'm saying he's not gonna have a chance to win this year, but like, you know, I mean, the guy hasn't proven anything yet, Like is what is out of line by somebody ranking him as the second worst coach in the Big twelve when he's had one year at this level and he won four games, Like I don't you know? And when people you know, listen and realize it's not to say that what I say is always going to be right and all you got to do is listen and you'll agree, Like that's not at all what I mean, although it's coming off that way, but like I'll put it this way. I think when it comes to callers, I've always been a little uncomfortable with it, especially on this show, just because like I'm not gonna do what other shows in the market do where they just put anybody on who can dial seven digits and just let him have a segment to where they have their own show, Like that's not what this is. It's a great way to get more people to call in, right, all right, let's take a break. We'll come back on the other side. More love out there nationally for Louisville's nil collective of the five O two circle, we can certainly get into that. ABC. As you know, they along with ESPN of course the same company really under Disney. They have college football games this year SEC and they've released their anthem, you know, the theme song, because they's no longer going to be the CBS SEC college football anthem. That's dead, So now we have a new one, and man, it's bad. It is really bad. Stick with us Coffee and Company feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'll be nice today. I can see why people would need two phones, like work phone, personal phone, but it would be I would I am already really really bad at staying organized consistently. If I had two phones, I wouldn't know what planet I'm on. Yeah, I wouldn't know what would I would just sit there with both not knowing which priority to lose one. Yeah, I mean so anyways, shout out to Kevin Gates, right, is that Kevin Gates? Two phones? Here we go. Uh so, let's let's let you guys here. The CBS sec anthem theme, whatever you want to call it, that's been around for a long long time. I mean, this is this is I think, I mean it's it's iconic. I mean, at least I believe that this gets you ready for football, like everybody knows this, right, like this is known. Then then then Gary Danielson starts talking and he sucks and it's kind of a buzz kill. But then again you think, okay, well we've got a top five matchup. The hell with Gary Danielson, he can't ruin it for us. So I will say this about this anthem. This isn't just good because it's old and nostalgic. It's good like it's I think it's well done. All right, now, I'm gonna let you hear what the new sec anthem is now that it's no longer on CBS, it's now on ABC. Because it's not good and I haven't seen any response since ESPN's PR put it out that is anything other than criticism for this new Uh yeah, it says the sec on ABC franchise will bring back a fan favorite from the early two thousands, revamping the old school ESPN college football theme song. So they revamped it. To me, it sounds like bad Ai is what. It sounds like a bad Ai production. Quit a second, Well it's not I got both playing. Here we go, apologies, here we go? Now this is this is the new one? So flat.
Speaker 1: I love the way you described it as it sounds like someone just asked Ai to make this. Because it also sounds like an off brand like March Madness song.
Speaker 3: It's not even well produced. It sounds so low budget, doesn't it? And there's no energy. I feel nothing.
Speaker 1: It almost sounds like I don't know if low budget's what I would say, but like they're trying too hard.
Speaker 3: Trying too hard for what. This doesn't get anybody excited. This is like there's just a lot going on with it. This. Look, I'm not kidding you. I could take this music and have it be the background music for an old guy running for mayor in a small town. Like to me, this doesn't give off any intensity football any I feel nothing, Like if you were gonna be promoting that you're about to have, like the presidential debate. You could play this and it would it would suffusing about it like this, this this is not action and tonight, Yeah exactly do you.
Speaker 1: Think, John, it's Tamala Harris versus Donald Trump hair on CNN perfect.
Speaker 3: I tried not to step on it because that was actually really good, Like you could hear that and think that you're really about to watch the debate. I mean, like this sucks and I'm and I'm I'm I've replayed it. Obviously it's still right, but like I just, I'm I feel nothing here. So again that's why when it comes to the other one, I stand by what I said. It wasn't just good because we were used to it and it was nostalgic. It was just a lot better, like a lot a lot better. I mean going from this to what we just heard, Like you see this is it's building. Is that a trumpet?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, see there's this. It's high energy, it's upbeat, way better than you know this And in debate night, like if I am a producer somebody who composes music, and I've got my catalog and I got those two I'm sending the new one here to the political news side. I'm sending the other one to the sports side. Like I don't think. I mean, it's terrible, and I mean it's not going to keep people from watching. But like you knew you had a brand new you know, you know, you had a brand new year. Here to you know, bring me this is this is a big deal for ABC, right the SEC has been on CBS for a long long time now, so they they screwed that up. Here's the here's here's the old ESPN one that you know. This is nostalgia right here. Baby, this is perfect. Is this what they're basing the new one off?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: But it sucks. Yeah. So like for me, I mean you own, like ESPN, you own what I just played, Like it's your production that you you know, you did from from from you know, long ago. Why not just do that?
Speaker 1: I mean, if they get enough backlash, maybe, I mean they probably won't, but maybe they will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we got to run top of the hour here. Kendrick Haskins from Way three gonna join us on the other side. Looking forward to our weekly chat with Kendrick and uh we'll keep it rolling along. Stick around. We're on Air till six, like always so hang out right us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety