Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Wying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Jagin's Aws. Now we have Kobe with breaking news.
Speaker 2: Having some trouble with the breaking news sound today, but from breaking news from yesterday from sports. The Arizona men's wheelchair basketball team had their championship ceremony yesterday for their national championship win.
Speaker 3: Cool? Cool? What did they get ringers on them? I believe so? Yes? Okay, sorry did that?
Speaker 2: Arizona Sidney Stewart takes Big twelve D one Softball Player of the Week honors.
Speaker 3: Okay, they must have a lot of studs out there. I've never even heard her name. I know.
Speaker 1: That's why I said, right, the one who's controlled it is nets Devin Nats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both, you know, as they hit her and a pitcher.
Speaker 4: As we talked about that, I'm bum and I didn't get I didn't get out there to see him even one time this year.
Speaker 1: I know what we need. You know, what, do you have season tickets? No, we need to get season tickets even when we have it, because they're not very expensive, but you know, like eighty bucks, hud buck and then go whenever we have Yeah, yeah, I know you're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing anything. Okay.
Speaker 2: Rookie quarterback Shador Sanders will swear number twelve with the Browns after DeAndre Carter claimed his signature number two. Sanders starts Mini Caamp Friday and noted number twelve was also worried by mentor Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Okay, mentor Tom, I didn't do such a good job, did he. I'd rather have him?
Speaker 4: And then yeah, but you know, out of the whole shedor thing, I'm what I'm tired of hearing about it.
Speaker 3: Go out there and play and let's see what you can do. And that's it, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, maybe they'll be talking about you as a steal in the draft and all that, but let's see.
Speaker 3: You know again, I think in the end he wasn't.
Speaker 4: He wasn't as good as he thought he was, Yeah, and as good as the media thought he was. Right, all those guys get put in them and sure high up in mock drafts, you know, mel Kiper, you know specifically.
Speaker 1: And I think, and we don't know this to be true, we just saw it in real time, is that there's more to being a good athlete. Uh, and being hot and being yeah, yeah, you have to be a good and not to say he's not a bad a good guy or a bad guy. You don't fall that far, you know, without having an ego.
Speaker 4: There's yeah, there were some obvious things to to to the NFL that a lot of the things that they're saying that dropped him in the draft for things that you can get away with if you're really really good. Right, Let's again, let's look at his teammate, Deshaun Watson. He's got like fifty thousand central assault allegations, but he's so damn good he's still got a chance to play well.
Speaker 1: I think back in the day, and I could be wrong with Ryan leif kind of had this and he went number two, turned out to be not the best number two, right, right, because you have that yeah something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and and yeah, there was something. He was so damn good. He kept getting chances, and he kept playing with different you know, with different teams to finally he you know, he ran himself out of the league.
Speaker 2: Dodgers outfielder Taoscar Hernandez placed on ten day in your list with the growing screen.
Speaker 1: What the hell you just want this out. Yeah, is he one of your guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, out for a while. Expect board tragedy.
Speaker 4: Man, he's one of my best player on my fantasy team. So you're not doing well. I'm I'm at the top of the list. But I didn't the league. But I didn't see. Did this just come out?
Speaker 3: Yes, it came out. Let me see.
Speaker 4: I got a problem. Yeah, I'm I'm I'm upset. Okay, I'm upset. It's all right, it's all right. Well, he played yesterday. I know that an hour ago. Okay, he played yesterday. When do they play? They had three forty Oh, they're on not in the lineup, obviously, not dang it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The Mariners claimed outfielder Leonto Taveris off waivers from the Rangers and reinstated utility man Dylan Moore from the Ile. Seattle has optioned some med Taylor to Triple A and DFAD reliever Luis Costillo.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're not very good. Who's winning that West? Who's winning your West? No?
Speaker 3: The Dodgers, they got the best record in baseball right.
Speaker 4: Now, so they they've straight they're on a streak right now.
Speaker 3: They've won like seven of eight or something like that. They're they're they're on a bit of a tear.
Speaker 2: Clemson and Notre Dame have agreed to play each other every year from twenty twenty seven through twenty twenty eight and a twelve year schedule deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw that that even if they're not scheduled to play, you know, because Notre Dame has that eight agreement with the ACC, they're not they're not an ACC member, but they play a bunch of the a SEC teams, and even if they're not scheduled to play them, they'll said, they'll schedule him separately, so for everybody wants to play the game.
Speaker 2: But Big Twelve commissioner Brett Yormac has signed a contract sension through twenty thirty after hoping SEC you're a two point two eight billion dollar TV deal and four school expansion. Yourmac has led the Big twelve through major realignment and positioned it ahead of the Big Twelve by locking in media deals early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, all last year during the football season and then even during basketball season. I thought it was refreshing that Arizona was in a league that had a good commissioner. Oh yeah, yeah, much different after all that time, much different. The tail end of Tom Hansen's time, the whole time Larry Scott was there, and then a little bit of time that George whatever his name was whatever. Yeah, you know that there was a long period of time where you just felt like the Pack twelve just was not being run well and it got run to the point where it got run out. Yeah, you know, it was just nice to you felt like you've got a commissioner that a has some influence and.
Speaker 3: B is kind of smart, good at what he does. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Top twenty twenty six quarterback Jared Curtis commits to Georgia Monday night, choosing the Bulldogs over Oregon.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll see how good he is. What else we got?
Speaker 1: I sent you something on the text Yeah with you of a involving the APR stuff.
Speaker 2: The NCAA released the latest Academic Progress Rate through the twenty twenty three twenty four academic year, and Arizona Athletics had ten programs eorn the perfect single year of one thousand, which continues the legacy of supporting student athletes in the classroom as well as in competition.
Speaker 1: One of the things Jay is, I think that the transfer portal, how that's going to affect that maybe I don't know how to track that because everyone's moving, right, and you have a certain amount of time to get your degree in that window, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So here's.
Speaker 4: The here's that the credits, transfers and all that stuff. And let's say you went to some crappy school for a while and now you're at a really good school, and how does it you know, or vice versa, and how does all the I don't know how they can possibly.
Speaker 1: No one talks about that part of it though, you know, well he went to into the school, he's gonna get paid money and blah blah blah. No one talks about it, and not that it's important because you know, hell the academic part of it. Yeah, well, and then he didn't graduate. How many guys are in the transfer portal A few thousand? Yeah, yeah, how many are not going to end up somewhere?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bunch of them? And then what the no degree?
Speaker 4: There was that study that they were talked about a little bit while the last time I was on is that you know, there was a study that in college basketball, like the previous year or the previous couple of years, that sixty five percent of the players that went into the transfer portal, went into either didn't get another school or went to a lower level school, right, went to from a major from a high major to a mid major or mid major to you know, a lower school.
Speaker 3: And then and it.
Speaker 4: Didn't say specifically how many players did not get a school, which, you know, the question that doesn't ever get answered in any of this stuff is if a kid transfer, it jumps in the transfer portal, doesn't get to come back to a school, doesn't get another school, is he done with college?
Speaker 3: Is he done? Right?
Speaker 4: Does he not have a scholarship anywhere? And now he's got to go pay his own way to go to school?
Speaker 1: And no one talks about that. That's that's the most interesting part of it. Yeah, because here you are, I don't know, I don't want to be the old dude says you know you're getting an education yet yeta and everybody has own agenda. But that's pretty important. Yeah, you don't want to screw that.
Speaker 4: Up, right, you know, I know Conrad Conrad Martinez got a school, right, he's a he's a high point or whatever. But let's say and he's a smart kid, right, Let's say nobody had picked him up.
Speaker 3: Now, is well you and.
Speaker 4: He doesn't come and he cut and he doesn't you know, can't come back to Arizona. You know, where does he go for college anymore? After being a you know, a high level recruit or whatever and they're paying for a school and now nobody's paying.
Speaker 3: For your school.
Speaker 1: And what do you do? Do you finish college or do you not? Well, that's why these decisions are need to.
Speaker 3: Be they need to be thought through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Calves will be without Evan Mobley, Darius Garland, and DeAndre Hunter for Game two as they trail the Pacers won nothing in the series.
Speaker 3: They hurt. Yeah, they jone.
Speaker 2: Scarland was out last game and now all these guys are out this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: I know Christmas coming in here and wanted to be to take to take Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I'm not into Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Knowing that that was going to be the case that three people are going to be not playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After a Game seven loss to the Warriors, Rockets coach says the young squad made huge strides and will come back better. GM Rafael Stone hinted at roster continually yes, but left the door open for trades if improves title chances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a pretty good season, not a pretty good, very good season.
Speaker 2: He's a heck of a coach, and they have a bunch of picks I know from the Hard and trade.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, there's a guy hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see a fight with him in he was kind of like, you know, pushing show.
Speaker 4: There may be there may not be another guy in the NBA who I root against more than him.
Speaker 2: He's lost four four game sevens with four different teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I why you would want him on your team, I do not know. And there were times, you know, watching that Clipper series, there were times you just look like he didn't want to be out there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny because Kawhi Leonard, right, you see Kawhi Leonard and you go, that's a guy a get He doesn't play a lot in the regular season, and now you see why so that he becomes the guy he was in the playoffs and guy who gives everything he has on the court. You see, you know, he's he's a superstar, and he thought that he's diving for and he's getting rebounds and James Harden just kind of just stands out there on the side and just lets everything happen until somebody gives them the balls.
Speaker 3: We could shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you think that if if Kawhi would play more, they'd have better seeds during the year because the win more games, right right, But yeah, I guess you have a save them.
Speaker 3: Yeah that load management, that is whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, I mean, I I sometimes get I mean, you'd say you gotta play more. But you know, he was a beast in the playoffs. Yeah, but he just didn't have enough guys around him.
Speaker 3: The playoffs ended very early.
Speaker 2: Yes, seven points in game seven? What did he shoot? He wants to shot like three for eighty Yeah. That's it for today's breaking news.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well it take some Oh we got to go twenty four to fifteen. We don't no guests here because we've already gone through two. So we'll take a lot of calls. We have two segments of calls if you like to calls five, two zero four, one seventy four forty.
Speaker 6: Oh. At two thousand dollars, i'd pay off one of my credit cards.
Speaker 7: If I won one thousand dollars, i'd use it on a plane ticket.
Speaker 1: I would book a trip to literally.
Speaker 3: Where Wait, what's everybody talking about? Wells Bucks?
Speaker 4: The winning happens every weekday right here.
Speaker 7: Wake up and win one thousand dollars with a Dan Patrick show each weekday morning starting at seven am. Then keep listening to win every hour through seven p app Listen for those keywords and enter them online at Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 6: This report is sponsored by Macy's Backstage.
Speaker 7: Fox Sports fourteen fifty am Class Broadway Boulevard westbound from Hunt Road to downtown looking at a eight minute delay right now.
Speaker 6: Also getting some sling on Speedway Bulevard eastbound from the University's to cray Cross Road. That's going to be a seven minute delay. And we're keep an eye on those accidents at Ien eastbound on ramp from Park ab as well as the accident at Park App and Strexel Road to watch for delays in those areas. I'm Lauren Phillips toosond traffic. What will you find at Macy's backstage? How about fun Mother's Day gifts all for under fifteen dollars. Get low prices every day on unique fines before they're gone in store only at Macy's Backstage Today. Find a location near you at Macy'sbackstage dot Com off price on trend arriving daily.
Speaker 8: Dry your luck in fair Way Fortune this month. At Casino Del Soul Every Friday and Sunday, winners are drawn every thirty minutes for a shot at big rewards. Step up and aim for a hole in one worth one thousand dollars in free play Casino Del Sol Enterprise at the Buska Yockey Tribe. This is the Parker and Sun's Weather Center.
Speaker 1: For all your azy, plumbing and electric needs.
Speaker 3: Call Parker.
Speaker 6: This report is sponsored by a straight Talk wire list.
Speaker 7: This is your storm tracker for weathercast from News for Tucson on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 9: This is storm tracker for Chief meteorologist map Road and that bonus may rain coming to an end. Guys, It's about a ten percent chance of showers overnight and tomorrow, waking up Tomorrow in the mid fifties and a warmer Wednesday with daytime highs and the low to mid eighties. I'm storm tracker for chief meteorologists map Road on News four tu Song.
Speaker 6: Straight Talk might not be on your shopping list, but it should be next time. You're grabbing some milk off the shelf at your local Walmart, stop by this straight talk and switch to real unlimited data. It's quick and convenience. It won't even take up room in your cart.
Speaker 5: I'm Dan Patrick, and this is above the noise. The NBA is changed. We all know that the mid range jumper, basically extinct. Two point shots of taken a back seat to the analytics, and it's not breaking news. But if you caught Game one between the Celtics and Knicks, you saw just how far this philosophy can go off the rails. Boston shot sixty three pointers, they missed forty five at the sixty. After building a twenty point lead, they watch the Knicks come back and steal a crucial.
Speaker 10: Win on the road.
Speaker 5: Yes, when you're hot from deep, it is devastating for the opponent, but when you're not, it's devastating for you.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with trusting the numbers.
Speaker 5: Shooting threes at a league average clip is still good basketball. But when they stop falling at some point, you gotta pivot. Analytics have changed the game forever, and mostly for the better. But when you watch a team go fifteen for sixty from three, point range.
Speaker 1: In a playoff loss.
Speaker 5: I think it's fair to ask as the league become a a little too stubborn from behind the three point line. I'm Dan Patrick, and this is above the noise. You ever go car shopping and just walk back to your old car and say, you know what, you're not so bad. Maybe a new paint job, Maybe fix up those dents and dings. New car prices are going crazy. Now Maco can make your current ride look like new paint, touch ups, dent repairs, fresh bumper. It's a little like a car makeover, is what it is. And right now they got the spring specials going perfect time to get in. You get that free estimate, quick turnaround, by the way, real value. That's what Mako does, and we're keeping our cars longer. So make your current ride feel new again before you shell out for something new, make your old look new. Go to Maco dot com today. You'll find a shop near you and book an appointment. You're gonna get a free estimate. You're gonna love the community based feel you get with Maco. That's Mako, m Aaco dot com And remember uh oh better.
Speaker 7: KTCR two saw number one on your car radio preset and a new and improved iHeart radio app. This is Tucson Sports Station Chat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to our on about hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're jakins Aus. I think we're gonna kind of go thirty five minutes with no commercials just because if you like to call us, please do five to two zero four one six seventy four forty. It's been a what kind of day with yeah this system in here? Yeah right, so heay, just give us a quick call. Jay hadn't been on for a while. If you want to say a little Jake get his thoughts on. If you just want to yelling you you went to you went to the it's been a while. I saw your family at the spring game. What did you make of that?
Speaker 4: It was just fun? I thought I thought it was a good event because I thought it was fun to connect fans to the field, you know, to be out to the field and you.
Speaker 1: Were there one of the fans. Fun the right amount of fans. More you need more, you know what I'm saying. You had Tucson, Arizona. The night was a little cold, but still nice.
Speaker 4: I think if it hadn't been as cold, there'd been more fans. But I also think people didn't know what is it right?
Speaker 3: It was different. There's still fans who want to come out and see a scrimmage.
Speaker 4: And people got to think, understand, there's those are gone. You know, there's not hard you know, full pads hitting just everywhere. So they tried to try to make it a fun event. And I think that that part of it was cool, and I think it'll spill into you know, you're hearing that they're probably gonna do to meet the team type of event. Do we remember those right where go out? Before that? Did Tomy? You know, I mean my kid, My kid was little and he would you know that you'd get a poster and then all the players would be at tables around the field and you'd go get their out grass and we would put up my son's poster. We bought a frame for it, and each year, you know, would put the new one in and you know, and probably till he was I don't know. I think he was getting those when he was ten twelve years old, and that frame is still in my garage with you know, Ortiz Jenkins. You know, Keith Smith, all those guys from that era. Your kid, right, and it meant a lot to him, you know, to the point where he's making a career out of working in the athletic department. You know, Danny was one of those kids, Danny Martinez one of those kids. He and Adam would go and Sean Collins, who you know also worked in the athletic department, would go to these I mean we would get there, would walk out on the field and cut him loose and then would see him at the end and hope to find him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, there's there's a really funny picture of Adam when he would have been just over two years old and he's out on the field and we tied a balloon to his to his thing to so we knew where he was if he got away from us. But that's how long he's been going to that and and you know, I've been telling those guys, bring that thing back. You know, you need to get these kids to see the players, to get their parents to take them to the games.
Speaker 3: No, for that, it was great.
Speaker 4: I watched some of the practice, but I wasn't there to see the practice, and we were there with my grandson now now he's too and and you know he ran around, he loved it.
Speaker 3: He got a little football and was throwing it. He got up on the slide and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: And those things connect the community, connect fans to your team, and that they need to do more of that.
Speaker 1: If anything, that needs to happen here locally, because without the fans and the nil and all that stuff, you know how it is two sons not not that wealthy. Yeah, and you got to have people in the bunch.
Speaker 4: And you want fans to get close to these players so that you're not complaining about the money they're made. And then you realize these are kids who are making a living, making a good living, but you know you want them to have fun with those guys.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something here and you'll say so if you were you were in the media business there, how would you change things?
Speaker 3: Or would you if I was in the media at the office with a team like the.
Speaker 4: Football team, try and get them out more. You don't get them out more visibly, right, you know? How about with the me how about open the damn locker room after games?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: You know, instead of picking two guys to come and talk to the media and that's all they get. Yeah, and that's all they get. Just say, okay, we're going to pick two guys to come and talk to the meeting. But everybody, you can go talk to all the other guys.
Speaker 3: Right, you got a certain amount of time.
Speaker 4: Right, you got x amount of time, and then they're going to head to the locker room.
Speaker 3: All you need is fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, we would you know, we would go to practice, Steve, and you'd get a guy for ten fifteen minutes and they're talking off the field, and you'd have a story.
Speaker 3: Well the thing is back and we're going back in the old days.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, but you'd get your guy, I'd get my guy, and we'd have different Right, we wouldn't have the same story.
Speaker 3: Nobody wouldn't have the same story.
Speaker 1: Everybody here has the same story, just how different you write it.
Speaker 3: That's that's the one thing I would do.
Speaker 4: Now, it's not the side off, it's not the sports information office. It gets to decide that. It's the coach and the administration. Now they have general managers.
Speaker 3: It's those guys.
Speaker 4: Have got to understand that connecting these players through the community sells tickets.
Speaker 1: So Jay, you say this, and I have a smell on my face thinking, you know, this is not brain surgery.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not rocket science at all.
Speaker 1: And it's and I remember talking to an ad back back in the day, maybe not too long.
Speaker 3: Ago, this say is, well, things have changed, No they haven't.
Speaker 1: You've changed changed. You've changed it.
Speaker 4: You you have decided that the media is a bad thing, right that you don't trust the media to come in and talk to your kidd and get their story.
Speaker 3: You think the media is going to come.
Speaker 4: In here and try and find something bad about the kids so they can run with that. Well, and there are guys who do that. We know that there's guys in Tucson who do that. Sure, right, So let me let me say this. The kids are making a lot of money now. They're very they're very bright, they're very savvy. Uh.
Speaker 1: And I think that you have a past or maybe president or afraid what they'll say.
Speaker 4: Don't don't worry, don't worry about that. You know, people want they just want story. They just want the stories. They want to know who these kids are.
Speaker 1: Part of the part of the things that I asked you an hour ago, what do you know about Aaron Gordon, what did you tell me? But but but in his back, we didn't.
Speaker 4: You nothing about him, don't even know where he's from. Johnson Johnson's Stanley Johnson.
Speaker 1: These one and done guys who they could have had a lot of publicity locally. You didn't hear much DeAndre. We didn't know he was a funny dude until we got access to the locker room.
Speaker 4: I think, I think when it when it comes to U of a basketball because because they were always selling, selling all the seats, they didn't feel like they needed to do that without questions and question community lost touch not with the program but with the players.
Speaker 3: They have lost touch and still have lost touch with the players. How well do we know Carter Bright? Right? You don't.
Speaker 4: Now there was a lot of stuff done done on him through the n cua A tournament and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And that's where.
Speaker 4: You could they because CBS gets access right and the knocker room from right.
Speaker 3: But through the.
Speaker 4: Course of the season, you know, you as a reporter or Justin Spears or Michael lev or whoever, they don't get to go sit down in the locker room with these guys, you know, uh, And and I think that's the that's a really it's just a bad thing that's happened to college athletic because the coaches stopped trusting the media to just want to tell stories. And I get it, there's some bad just like there's bad guys in everything. There's bad guys in the knees media who are looking to just go be able to you know, to to ask a kid the hard question. And you know, and I saw you at the blackjack table when you should have been, you know, in your room.
Speaker 3: Guess what's fault that was? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not the media is yeah, exactly, So you know, and they want they want to baby these kids. Well yeah, but this kid's making a million dollars a year. Who are you babying them?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? No, you're right, That's why I asked.
Speaker 4: But I think I think that's been the biggest thing and that universally across all college athletics to hear football, basketball, softball, whatever.
Speaker 3: They don't let you get to the players. Hey, you're on the air nine of the ball. Who's this? It's Rick?
Speaker 11: How are you guys doing it? Rick?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: Good? Hey?
Speaker 11: Jay?
Speaker 3: How's Rick doing?
Speaker 11: By the way, just real quick.
Speaker 3: He's okay, he's getting old, really fast, but he's good. He's good, He's good logo.
Speaker 11: Anyway, to your point, there's two parts of this that people need to appreciate. Number One, the Athletic Department needs to educate these young people on how to speak with the media, but also how to speak to the general public. And I'll give you a good example of it. And I excuse think when Luke Walton and Richard Jefferson were here, they would go to their different restaurants around town and you would see them and most of the people gave them their space. But they were always very polite, respectful, and people respected them. And that's because Luke and the AD department ros they taught these young people how to interact with the general public. And also the coaches set a great example of how to interact with the general public. And for whatever reason, and they let fear override the opportunity for these people to be young people, to be successful and to educate them how to handle the public period, no question, whether it's no question, and that to me, that's on the A D Department to start with, and the coaches have to be respectful of the fact that is, without these the public, nobody is buying their tickets.
Speaker 1: That's exactly why you asked Jay this question.
Speaker 3: There's no attachment to these guys if.
Speaker 1: You, if you're Rick, I know you're a sponsor and not a sponsor, but you you believe in these kids, and you and you follow U of A for a long time. If you fell in love with a guy or a woman who who you really admire their story, you're gonna say, you know what, I'm gonna help this guy out, you know, otherwise you don't know the guys.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'll give another great example, Pokey. When she was here with Joan, she she was she was just an oversized kid, and she had a heart of gold. And I used to tease her all the time when she was dealing with knee surgery because I would see her uh and I'd say, well, come on, he lets this old man dealing with knee surgery and we'd laugh and have a good time. But she was always very good. And Joan taught her and the other players d D. Wheeler how to be part of the community. And they're not doing that and that falls on the A D Department and the coaches. Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: You know, as Rick was talking, I was thinking about why has Steve Curbin so wildly successful when he was here, he learned one well, how to deal with the media and how to deal with the public, but also the importance of it.
Speaker 3: Sure, no question, I'll give you.
Speaker 1: I'll go one further because back in the day, and this is when we were covering the teams, right and I think, whoever you know, Joe his kids and blah blah blah, because he let them grow up, maybe to the sometimes the demise, but he let them grow up. Sean is now with TV with san Antonio Sakura was doing his TNT. Now he is who he is, the Channey's doing TNT. Richards do becoming this famous guy on all these guys had access to us, knew how to deal with us.
Speaker 4: Right now they become us, right and they know how to do it, and they can do it really well one hundred percent, you know, I mean, you know there and then there are guys that that you couldn't get to, who don't you know, want that and who probably if they had been more like that, like those, they might have been more successful. They might have gotten more of an opportunity, whether it's in the league or as a coach or whatever.
Speaker 3: We're in the media. Yeah, and and and and those guys. It's just such an if.
Speaker 4: Again, it's it's one of those things that you feel bad that they've got this opportunity as college athletes.
Speaker 3: To be a part part of all of.
Speaker 4: This, and yet the athletic departments around the country take a big important chunk of it away from them and just say, well, we're afraid of what you might say to a newspaper reporter, so you're not allowed to talk to them.
Speaker 1: That makes no sense to me, especially in the day of nil when you.
Speaker 3: Need to tell their stories. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me tell you, in house media is not telling their stories, yeah, because you know they have their their stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 4: But like you know, I'm sitting as we're talking about something about you know, there was this one football practice, remember we have to you'd have to go to football practice, and that's but that's where you get your stories. And Dana Wells had won It was the end of the season and Dana Wells had won the Morris Trophy. Remember that it was given to the they used to go in to the best offensive and defensive lineman in the Pac ten. And it was like it was like the I think it was the Wednesday practice. It was like the last big practice before their last game, and it was when they practiced out of that for the the recreational field is uh and you need to go there and I need to talk to him. And I said, I said, you know, I need to talk to you. And he said, okay, he said, walk me back to the to the steam. I said, well, I'll give you a ride.
Speaker 1: He got in my car. Yeah, yeah, no, no, because that's the opportunity.
Speaker 3: I got in my car. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's take this call real quick. Hello, you're on the air nine in the mall.
Speaker 3: Who's this? Hek Steve.
Speaker 12: This is Don Who's who's that riding with you today?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, guy, I showed up out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Don Or.
Speaker 12: Did I miss the Dodgers portion of the show today?
Speaker 3: Well we got time, We got time. Yeah, that's done.
Speaker 12: You know, you guys are talking about the media availability and everything. The thing is is these kids, a lot of them, they have their social media, so they're they're already out there, and and and the athletic departments or the coaching staffs they're still afraid of these kids. And these kids already know what's gone on on. You know, things happen, things have been happening, like during their high school days and somebody got embarrassed or this or that. And I think a lot of these kids there are they're savvy, and like you just said, they take it away from them. And yet the coaches always say we're looking out for the best for these kids. Sure, well you're not because you're not teaching them exactly.
Speaker 3: You're exactly what we're talking about right now.
Speaker 12: You know, if you never taught your kids how to ride a bike, you were just inviting them to have a disaster later on.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 12: I mean, And that's and that's such a big part of it. And you know, you can't tell these coaches that you know, they're they're walking on eggshells any at everything. They're jumping at every shadow there is well with having to re recruit and everything else.
Speaker 1: Right, no question, let me say this done and you play are going to be surprised by this.
Speaker 3: And Jane knows this.
Speaker 1: A lot of the coaches and I'm not just here, are control freaks total and they more than ever.
Speaker 12: Yes, well that's why I said back in the day, there was no way the head coach didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 12: There's no way that these coaches don't know those those type you know, bad things that are happening in their program. They they there's no way that they don't know these things. And the thing is is if they think that they're shielding these kids, they're trying to shield themselves from for having less headaches. I'm saying, I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, let me let me ask you. But they're not.
Speaker 12: They're not helping their program.
Speaker 1: Now, so done, I don't know your history of whatever. Do you have kids? Do you have Okay, so you have kids, and I don't want to ask you. Just Jay has kids. I have kids. Luckily, my kids are good kids. Jay's kids are good kids. I'm sure yours are too. But you're the ad right now. Now, now you have five hundred and fifty kids, right when you go to sleep, How comfortable are you waking up the next day and.
Speaker 4: Thinking, I hope nothing? What do you do five hundred and not that many? Yeah, of course you do. Yeah, but you I had three kids and.
Speaker 3: I go to bed.
Speaker 1: Now you might say you're thinking, Okay, I'm gonna trust these guys are making good decisions. Yeah, but you have to let them make decisions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. You have to let them make mistakes.
Speaker 12: And you have to tell them, Like I told my boys, because I have two boys, I told them, you know, when you leave the house, you're making the decision to finish that trip to school. Once they hit like junior high, I was like, hey, you're the one making that decision. Yeah, but you're gonna have to live with the decision you make. So if you go to school, you do the things you're supposed to do, things are good at the house, you get things whatever. But if you don't, then the opposite's going to happen. So you you, you have to trust these kids, and you have to, you know, put the repercussions out there, teach them, you know, teach them what's right, what's wrong, what they what they can do, what they shouldn't do, and they're gonna make their own decisions.
Speaker 3: Sure, because they do.
Speaker 1: In the time and the time that I covered the Loop for twenty five years, there's only one maybe two, And I would even know what the two is of things that you said, oh god, and it was Gilbert, because you never knew what the hell Gilbert was going to say, but that neede it good for us because you didn't know what he was going to say. But of all the students that came through, the players, the student athletes came, that was one dude. There's one dude. And it wasn't that bad. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's it's and they they were they were afraid of the you know, athletic departments and coaches are just afraid of their shadows when it comes to that good point.
Speaker 3: And that's what it was.
Speaker 12: And the thing nowadays, every every everything and every every body can be forgiven and if you make a mistake and on up to it, you know, at least I mean, in today's society, you're going to get credit for that. Yeah, I mean, you know, how can you blame the coaches nowadays? With players having their agents and handlers and all these things, and now it's legal. You can't put everything on the coach, the old the lack of institutional control because truly they don't have that because they can't even control their own roster.
Speaker 3: Know, you're right, exactly, no, you're exactly right.
Speaker 12: So that's not even a that's not even a real thing that that a coach, if he got put in a bad situation, can argue and go, look all these things have been taken out of my hands already.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, talk to their agent.
Speaker 12: Yeah yeah, don't talk to me. Talk to the agent. Go talk to them, and then come back to me and tell me what you find out.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the problem two that I have. And not that it's a problem because I don't have to live with it. We just write about it and talk about it. Is your coach and you have your your star quarterback, you start running back whomever, and you've got to be play nice with them because in a month, a two or whatever he could be you could just if I didn't like the way he talked to me like this, YadA YadA, and I'm gone, yep, yep, yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean it just seems like like a that note, you know, promoting your program and making your guys available and actually probably you know, maybe pushing some We gotta go ideo people to take it easy on them. But anyway, guys, have a good one.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thanks Sun for the call.
Speaker 1: We got to another call, don't you on the air and on the ball, who's this reunited? And hey, does your buss know you're on the phone. Radio does your does your buss know you're on the phone.
Speaker 10: I'm driving home, so maybe you don't get pulled over while I'm multi tased.
Speaker 3: But this old guy radio is is cool. But you can't like like he said, he made an eloquent.
Speaker 10: Point, there's a complete lack of institutional control nowadays with everybody in these your door senders with doubt, Dion Sanders.
Speaker 3: Of course she wouldn't be probably a started quarterback.
Speaker 10: But do you think about the sense of entitlement and everything that a coach would have to deal with that had.
Speaker 3: To be his father in his college.
Speaker 10: Or think about the Florida A d in the hernn this days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, good, No, No, you're you're right, I mean, come out.
Speaker 3: How difficult would that have been? Yeah? Yeah, no, you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's just because, like like everything else, Mike, we it's you know, we were just not letting kids, young people do things because we're afraid of what they might do. Sure, right, so often and we don't trust them to, you know, to make decisions and fall down and get back up in those If.
Speaker 1: I were this and you were the student athlete, you know, what you were doing at eighteen nineteen twenty years old. Right, those days are gone and people now know exactly right.
Speaker 13: Smart cameras around and the trial in there is all part.
Speaker 3: Of growing up.
Speaker 10: I'm going to get until I was thirty seven, still still learning, still learning, So like.
Speaker 13: Like for instance, and I remember talking about this with Steve about the whole Bobby hur Lead incident, getting the guys off the court and not shaking hands.
Speaker 3: They have to shake.
Speaker 10: Hands because the thing was the fally, the fall, and then you gotta be accountable for what you did because you're raising student athletes like students. You're raising young men. Excuse me, they're not they're professional. You're raising young men because still you're raising people to be in society. That's a part of school and that's in quotation marks. But everything with this nil and these players getting paid, it's just like again, I hate to say the same thing. A lack of institutional control and a lack of control period and that contradicts everything that you just said. But the good coach there could show freaks, but they ain't got that control.
Speaker 3: Do you imagine Bill Belichick how long he's gonna last?
Speaker 10: How much like like kids talking to the media or keeping it in the house.
Speaker 3: And the Patriot way that's out the dang window.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait till exactly, wait till he finds out, you know, when when his eighteen year old quarterback is shooting his mouth off on social media, he didn't handle that.
Speaker 1: He doesn't even have control in his own little territory.
Speaker 3: But that's four. I know what you guys, well, what are you single? What's happily married? But if you think about it, I get a call there.
Speaker 1: But gee, wow, wait wait, you didn't say I'm single. I'm happily single, sir, happily.
Speaker 10: He has a secum bill.
Speaker 1: I can't translate on this show, but I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was nothing.
Speaker 1: I didn't hit the buttons. Good, No, thank you, Mike. Good to hear from you, Mike A.
Speaker 10: Tonight cowboy, cowboy, your podcast, tonight YouTube.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I gotta get that in cowboys. What still a disaster they are and they will continue to be. Yes, what the hell did you say? No, no entitlement and all that stuff. But I kind of just want to say, if you want money or to prove the nil, let them tell their story. Let us tell their story.
Speaker 3: Let us tell their story. Yeah, because.
Speaker 4: You can't just mis mistrust everybody, right, because there's three or four bad apples.
Speaker 3: Everybody's a bad apple.
Speaker 4: And and you know, guys like Again, guys like Justin, guys like Mike lev guys like uh, you know, Bruce, Bruce and everybody you go, they just want to they just want to do their.
Speaker 3: Jobs and tell their stories. You know, did you see what's going on? Well, the start is the start.
Speaker 1: You worked at the Star for a while many years ago, I wre with the Citizen. There's only like three four people there in the sports department. Yeah, there's four people on the staff here.
Speaker 3: That's not a knock. It's just the way the businesses.
Speaker 4: And it's the way the businesses, you know, the you know, the other work that I'm doing, you know, trying trying to get something into the newspaper today. It's impossible, is a story? Yeah, any story? You know, you just can't. I mean you don't have to write it. Yeah, you it's you can't. It's hard. Yeah, it's really hard, or on or on television.
Speaker 1: Well, because everything's been cut and everything's just not.
Speaker 4: Darned people around to go do that stuff. You know, you go through you know, you go through the newspaper and except for a handful of stories, everything's in you know, some sort of national wires.
Speaker 1: Look at sports now on TV. Not to exclude newspapers every I think most of them have one person sports sports.
Speaker 4: Ye who have to have a couple of days off, So you've got a couple of days where you know the news side is doing that is doing your sports for the day, or they don't do sports. Right, you're depressing me, Steve. You bring me down, man, good things. You're at the end of your road?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am. Does that mean this crap anymore? You know what I'm saying. You're right, I know.
Speaker 4: But you know, I've you know, I've got a kid who's two kids actually, who's sort of in the you know, communication side of well that adds in marketing, so that you know, that's a little different.
Speaker 3: He's you know, at the U of A.
Speaker 4: He's in the marketing and athletic department where they're trying to but do what we've been talking about, connect to the fans.
Speaker 3: Sure have you had this discussion with him? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, without selling him out or I'm sure he agrees he's.
Speaker 4: Done totally, totally it's just and and you know, I can tell that they're trying to do things right, but they're trying to do things because they need to sell tickets.
Speaker 1: Right, right, whatever, whatever, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: It is, you know.
Speaker 4: But you know, my daughter's in in in sports information at the San Diego City that's like department, you know, and they're they're out there just doing what they can, putting stories out.
Speaker 3: But you know, San die State doesn't come and cover the lacrosse team.
Speaker 4: I mean, the San Diegre Union Tribune doesn't come and cover the lacrosse team or you know, the softball team or whatever. Basketball and football, and that's what you get. They'll cover it when it's bad news.
Speaker 1: But the thing and it's a different market, obviously there's more to cover there. But here, man, it's a tough time. And I came here in eighty seven, totally different.
Speaker 3: You started back in the mid eighties too.
Speaker 1: So it's just saying you when your team was, when your team was in season, you had something in the paper every day, every single and sometimes you know why you're a part of it because I knew you would. You did it because I you know I would, right except for Sunday, like you I was well aware there's a competition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had fun. I remember drinking with you on the coach. Well, but on the on the road in Oregon, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember the electric station.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Goods were the issue when you they got in their fights.
Speaker 4: Yes, but you know, we were friendly, but we could and because of that, people got stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was part of the charm of the business and people who know, we know that.
Speaker 3: I love that we've lost it. He got lost somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no papers and newspaper and Dave. When Dave comes in here, he talks about I used to worry when I have to read the Citizen or read the Star, and then I don't have to go chase it too, because everybody was kind of like, you know, what they do?
Speaker 3: What did we do? What did they do?
Speaker 4: But I mean, for example, okay, we were in Kansas City for the UFA's Final four, all right, the night between games or take it back. This might have been the night before the games. But we were out out at the bars with It was me, it was Greg Hanson, it was Bob Young who worked for the Republic, Kevin McCabe who was at at the k well d I think Dave Silver was there. We were all together, we were we competed the hell out of it, but then we went out socially and we had a good time with each other, and we had a great time, and we loved that competition.
Speaker 3: I'm true. Later a night of your thinks. So what did you do today? What was your story for?
Speaker 4: You know, you wanted to beat the hell out of them, but that didn't mean you had to be a dirt.
Speaker 1: So listener, Bill sends me this note, asked you about writing with me?
Speaker 3: And oh, he said he had ghosted him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't do I can't do it, Bill, I got that got stuff going on that weekend. Sorry, I'm sorry I ghosted you. Man, My bad, My bad, already he.
Speaker 1: Did November twenty second. I'm busy that.
Speaker 3: I'm busy.
Speaker 4: I'm busy on the twenty second. Now, I've got stuff going on. I've had to move up my Vegas trip a couple of weeks because I got some much stuff going on. What did you see November third? What are you gonna do November third? I don't have anything November.
Speaker 3: There you placed Florida.
Speaker 4: He's on Florida in Vegas, right, we're going to be there the next weekend.
Speaker 1: So you're not going you gotta go to the third end of ten. Well, they have the right to, they have the the Formula one thing.
Speaker 4: I think that's the weekend of the twenty second.
Speaker 3: Oh really didn't really back, okay, and I take back. It's a weekend before that fifteenth. Yeah, I think I think that's uh okay, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Sure we're we're we're going more Vegas the weekend before Formula fifteen. Anyways, all right, well so I you know, I know that's a long discussion about about that, but it's the two old guys. Get off my long guys. But you know what, it was a better day. It was a more fun day. I think fans had more connection to their athletes and their sports and not become just who wins the game and who does it and if you don't win, you suck and we don't want to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Sure, no, I get I get it.
Speaker 1: If you had ten of us out there, ten of us local media guys, and we had them in front of the Desirays and the people there, it'd be everybody would have this conversation and say, this would be a beneficial to you and tell us yes, and it'll be very easy to.
Speaker 4: Do, right, it would be really easy to do and just just you know, let these guys be it's not it's not it's really not.
Speaker 1: And you'd have different different takes on different people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well yeah, I mean, again, what what do we know about the players on the UVA football team? Very little.
Speaker 4: The part of the player that we know the most about is no healthy and he's out in the community, he's out doing stuff.
Speaker 3: He's got TV commercials.
Speaker 4: Sure, but and you know we've had you know, you've had reporters talk to his family and stuff like that. Name another player who's gotten that kind of none and he used to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: With a bunch of players, even Caleb.
Speaker 1: Caleb, there was the athletic We had had her on the show based in Oregon, very very charming woman who wrote the story on Caleb. Did you read that story just about how he's kind of changed his style and unless year, no one here has written that story. Yeah, but they have the opportunity to sit down with them for Yeah, that's all weird.
Speaker 4: I was getting, well, I was getting to that story about Dane. Well, you know the guy jumps in my car. Yeah, all right, and I drive him back to you know, back Michael, which I later found out was an NCAA violation, you know, And then we just sat in my car. He's on his football pads and holding his helmet. Yeah, And we sat in my car and talked for about twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it was a mile, right, not even a mile to take it.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing was that I didn't want to walk back to McHale then have to walk back and get my car.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, but.
Speaker 4: And you only drove a right, Yeah, but he jumped in the car and I had a twenty minute conversation with him.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I had and I had a good piece, a good interview for that weekend. And and you know, and I just remember having those with you know, with guys like Darryl Lewis Parker, remember Glenn Parker, John Fien Our great house, remember our great house.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know.
Speaker 1: Guys you asked you we get them on the phone real quick. Yeah, lamont love it.
Speaker 4: You know all those guys that you know, we would get a chance to talk to and get people to you know, we did the second year that I covered football. Our editor said, I want a story about them that doesn't talk about football. Each week, I had to go interview with somebody and I mean we had to mention who they weren't talk about. But you try to get them to talk about something, what they do off the field, what's you know, what's meaningful to them?
Speaker 3: What's it?
Speaker 4: And I thought it was a hard It was a hard story to do every week because trying to draw these guys out to talk about something other than football was hard.
Speaker 1: It was it was the Conics and the Twins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Ronnie Gil and Derek Hill and all those guys, and and you would you know, trying but it was challenging to me to try and get the non football side of these guys.
Speaker 1: Well, let me give you here's the here's one of the issues, the bad things. The alligator story. I'm sure you heard the Jack mcgrider alligator story, because then you're trusting that they're telling you the truth. Well, I had I had one of those. Anthony Smith. Oh yeah, okay, Anthony Smith told me this whole story about how he was in the backseat of a car and his friend got shot and all this stuff, and he's seen some bad things and he was very passionate and emotional about it. And I told this story and it was it was gripping that he grew up in this place and he was lucky to be alive.
Speaker 3: YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 4: And then the Republic, Bob Young did the story basically the same story at the Republic. Maybe was talking to it a different pop Young. I can't remember his name. He was an old guy. No, not Lee Chappel.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he passed away.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Bob Eager, Okay, Bob Eager does the story and there was more to the story, so he embellished it. So then he gets drafted in the first round. Okay, and I'm and I'm in I'm in the office. The draft used me on the weekend, so I'm in the office because I gotta do the Anthony Smith getting drafted, Anthony Smith and Kevin Chris Singleton got drafted. Peter King calls me and says, you know, I interviewed Anthony Smith and he told me all this stuff he said, didn't he said? And I said, well, I'll just tell you Peter that and he told me there was more to the story. I said, Peter, I'm telling you. I'm getting I'm thinking he's making it up. Well, then it comes out Peter King does the story. But then Anthony Smith comes out and says none of it was true, he said, And he said.
Speaker 3: Then why did you do the story? Why did you say all that?
Speaker 4: He said, because I wanted to get attention on my self so I could get drafted. He said, So you thought getting an attention that you were in the back seat of a car where somebody got killed was a good attention to give to NFL scouts, you know. So I did that story and he said, he said, I had to. I had to tell that story because Chris Singleton was getting all the attention, so I had to get some attention on myself. So he made this stuff up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Chris went eight and he went eleven. Yeah, yeah, they're both yeah, yeah, yeah, remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 4: So that stuff happens, you know. So I don't know, But again, it was an isolated thing. It shouldn't have. I didn't feel like, Okay, every football player I talked to from now on is gonna lie to me. I just thought that was Anthony Smith. You know, I got taken for a ride on him. That's the way it happened. Did that happen sometimes?
Speaker 3: Sure does.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to go right. Yeah, thank you Kobe for thank you.
Speaker 3: J for coming on. Thanks for having me. Man, this is fun again.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, we'll get you every now and again.
Speaker 4: Dodger's up one nothing, Okay, we'll sleep on this. You got to get the Dodge reported.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks to everybody. Can see you guys tomorrow.