Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim Kashi.
Speaker 2: Everybody loo come in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. I hope you're enjoying your Friday afternoon. You're world champion Los Angeles Dodgers off to one of their best starts in franchise history, a perfect eight and oh here in twenty twenty five, only the nineteen fifty five Brooklyn Dodgers have had a better start. After a dramatic comfort behind win over the Breys on Wednesday, the Dodgers had a day off yesterday. Now they hit the road for a three game series in Philadelphia. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound, the series opener from Citizens Bank Park. First pitch coming up at three forty five. Between now and then, we got a lot to get to here on Moranggo Casino Dodgers on deck. You were gonna hear from the manager of himself, Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this series opening pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: David Vase goes.
Speaker 2: One on one with Blake Trining. We've got your Dodgers magical moment, your prize picks double play of the Day. Shortly we'll hear from Kirsten Watson and show hey Otani and at just a few minutes we'll send it out to Tim Neverett and Rick Monday at the Galloping Motors Broadcast booth. Well on Wednesday night at the Ravine, the Dodgers closed out the opening homestand of the season after taking three from the Detroit Tigers. The Dodgers looking to close out for the Atlanta Braves. Blake Snell on the mount. He went four innings, five runs, five hits, four walks, two strikeouts. Got into trouble early, but it wasn't his faults. He had a couple of pitches out of the zone for control issues. But Max Bunsey throwing air opened the door for two runs in the first then a throwing air and a miss cue in the second inning opened the door for three more Atlanta runs. The Braves are up five to nothing, all runs unearned against Blake Snell. Finally, in the bottom of the second, down five nothing, the Dodgers got on the board.
Speaker 4: So Edmond in a driver's seat. Dodgers trying to chip away at this five nothing deficit here with the runner on and one out at the bottom of the second inning one, Edmund swings and drives the ball right center field, going back white.
Speaker 5: He's at the wall, He's out of here. Tommy tanks alive and well to begin twenty twenty five, a two run blast, his fourth of the season, and the Dodgers right back in it.
Speaker 6: It's now five to two.
Speaker 3: Tommy Edmund with his fourth home run of the season. He leaves the Dodgers by the way in dingers.
Speaker 2: Dodgers down five to two, Michael Can four to oh his first home run at a Dodger uniform, solo home run of the fourth. Dodgers down five to three. Now, Blake's that would go four innings. Give up those five runs in the first two innings, but the Dodgers' bullpen was big, keeping the Braves at just five runs. Benki Sperry has two shutout innings, Kirby Yates to inning a relief, and then Jack Dryer pitched a scoreless eighth. In a scoreless ninth, the Dodgers were down five to three going to the bottom of the eighth inning.
Speaker 3: They had runners on.
Speaker 2: The sixth the seventh, but couldn't get that big base hit to get more runs on the board. Finally, the eighth two to on, two out for Max Munsey.
Speaker 4: Dodgers are zero for five with runners in scoring position. Tonight can Max change that in a big way the one two months he swings.
Speaker 6: Right center field. This boll gonna get.
Speaker 7: Down con photo scores spit behind him.
Speaker 6: Max Monsey redemption in the egg.
Speaker 5: We are tied at five after the two run double from Monzie. The game didn't start well for Max Munsey, but certainly pay made dew in the eighth inning with the two run double that tied the game at five, all the way back from a five to nothing deficit. The Dodgers tied the game in the eighth and then in the ninth. It's set up perfectly for show Hey Otani a walk off home run. Dodgers beat the Braves six to five on Wednesday Night. Otani with the home run his second walk off home run of his career. The Dodgers there's six come from behind win already this Sea. They're eight and o after the sweep of the Atlanta Braves, as the Dodgers, the best start by defending World Series champs in MLB history. Jack Dryer against the winning and relief for the Dodgers' bullpen, which put up zeros over five innings of a combined work. Dodgers now hit the road for a six game East Coast road trip, first up a three game series in Philadelphia against the Fight in Phills. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mount and with more we head out to the Galpos Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Tim Nevertt and Rick Monday.
Speaker 8: Guys, Tim, thank you very much. It is very pleasant here in Philadelphia. You never know what you're gonna get in early April in Philly, but we've been pretty fortunate. Temperatures are in the low sixties right now as we get set to start this ballgame between the Dodgers and the Phillies. Dodgers eight and oh, off to their best start in Los Angeles Dodger history all time. It's ten and oh. The nineteen fifty five Brooklyn Dodgers had the best start, and the Phillies five and one. They're three and oh at home. The Phillies won seven of their last nine against the Dodgers, sweeping them here last year. But that was last year and this is this year. Tonight. Haesus Lizarda, the left hander at one and zero. We'll pitch for the Phillies against the right handed Yoshinubu Yamamoto, who is also won and oh and Mota. Dodgers just keep on finding ways to win. They've won eight games, and six of them they've come from behind to do it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's amazing what they've been able to do. And when the stage is set in the later portions of ball games is when they have really been able to shine. So they come in first place team half game in front of San Diego. His action got underway today San Diego in Chicago against the Cubs and for the Phillies again game and a half lead in front of the surprising Miami Marlins. Oh, it is early yet as far as the Marlins, it doesn't matter if it's earlier late. With the Phillies, they have a very good team. So yeah, it's West versus the East. The other part about starting off this Dodger ball club eight and oh, they're the first of one hundred and twenty defending world champion teams to begin the season with eight consecutive victories. So you put it into perspective, we've already seen history made with this Dodger Balklub.
Speaker 8: Well, they passed the nineteen thirty three New York Yankees, who started defense of their title seven and zero in thirty three with a guy hitting in the middle of their order named Babe Ruth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's amazing. The Dodgers have their own version of Babe Ruth that may show Hey Otani the walk off home run to end things in that series against the Atlanta Braves and swept that series. The Dodgers said, Tim just find ways right now to get things done. Their bullpen has shut things down. And speaking of bullpen, you need a good bullpen against the Phillies because they have absolutely been feasting upon bullpens of opposing teams. That's why they entered this this game tonight. Five wins, only one loss.
Speaker 8: When you look at the Dodgers starters Era two fourteen so far, the bullpenny ra one point eight threes. So the Dodger bullpen has been getting it done. And you know the veteran guys you expect to get it done, guys with a track record, guys with a long list on the back of their baseball card. But you've got Ben Casparius and Jack Dreyer rookies who are getting it done.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're getting it done. There is when blemish is the Dodgers move in. And for those that have not heard, Freddie Freeman put on the injured list for ten days. That right ankle very problematic, so he has been set down and Hunter Fidusia joins this ball club in the absence of Freeman, so.
Speaker 8: They got a left handed bat here in Fidusha. Freeman would be eligible to come off the injured list on the eleventh, when the Dodgers would open a series at Dodger Stadium against the Cubs. But first things first, first of a six game road trip here to Philadelphia and to Washington, d c the eight to no Dodgers taking on the five and one Phillies.
Speaker 3: Tim all right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, get that game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Morogo Casino Dodgers on deg you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David Vaz saying we got your prize picks double play of the Day. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup, but up next it's all about show. Hey Otani, Otani rewind and then we'll hear from show. Hey Kirsen Watson as we lead you up to Dodgers and Phillies from Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network, its Morono Casino, Dodgers On, Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Phillies starting a three game set. Since this is made Ballpark, Yoshanova, Yamamono, and heyesus Lozardo the pitching matchup of this series opener, first pitch set for three forty five.
Speaker 6: This is the Otani ree.
Speaker 9: Wid All right, well, well this would be fitting if there were an end right here and everyone on their feet at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Show, Hey old Tony on his bubblehead night first piss swinging tie drive glass center.
Speaker 6: Field at the wall.
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness, so he Old Tony a sallo, not a swing. He's headed home and once again the Dodgers walk off winners.
Speaker 2: Show Hey O'tani with the walk off home run on Wednesday night on his Bobblehead Nights, a solo shot in the ninth Inna. Dodgers come all the way back and beat the Atlanta Braves six to five. Dodgers now start a six game East Coast road trip. But what a night it was for show Hey Otani on Wednesday night, the three for five, the home run, the ribbie and afterwards caught up with Kirsten Watson.
Speaker 10: So hey for you to have that moment to walk up home run, to come back being fat down five in this game, because what did it mean to pull that one out and get the win?
Speaker 11: Jack showpecial.
Speaker 6: Box and.
Speaker 10: Everybody's there a ball.
Speaker 11: I think the bullpen did a fantastic job bringing us back into the game. Max Munsey's timingly hit and all the guys really contributing today.
Speaker 10: That walk off though, that home run, What did you see in that app that allows you to get that swing?
Speaker 12: Sagon does a god takus on disco.
Speaker 6: But we're standing out almost on this kirdoo.
Speaker 11: You guys, you know, just looking for a really good picture head.
Speaker 13: But one of the fans was telling.
Speaker 11: Me, you know, it's your bubble head nice so you better get a hit.
Speaker 6: So I'm glad I was able.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 10: The bubblehead night's a special one. But to see all these fans here and part of you, what is this moment? What do these moments mean to you?
Speaker 3: Scott?
Speaker 11: I'm just ecstatic that the fans got to see this really good game today and was able to perform in front of these fans.
Speaker 6: Tonight.
Speaker 10: Guys are now at eight and no on this season. A terrific start to the year. What does it say about this group and how you guys have maintained your focus from last season?
Speaker 3: Freaky?
Speaker 11: Do you know.
Speaker 6: Second table for.
Speaker 3: I think really good.
Speaker 11: You know, overall ways of winning, even though we may give up some runs, like we find a way to come, you know, come back and win. And you know, when we're winning these games or we're scoring early, I think our pitching staff does an amazing job keeping the win.
Speaker 6: I sure did tonight. Congratulations on the win. Thank you minness.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Kirston with show. Hey o Tani after the game on Wednesday. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now. Friendly agents standing by to take your donations. That's Cars with a K to donate your car today. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck will dive deep into this pitching matchup. David Beatte goes one on one with Blake trying it. But up next an injury report and we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. Leading up to Dodgers and Phillies on this Friday. I'm Tim Katson's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Friday as we're leading you up to first pitch from Philadelphia Dodgers and Phillies Maronggo Casino Resort and Spot Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: Good Times.
Speaker 2: Yoshikamamoto on the mounta first pitch set for three forty five.
Speaker 6: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Freddie Freeman goes on the IL Retroactive the thirty first of March with the sore ride ankle so he'll miss his road trip to Philadelphia and Washington. D C Hunter for Dousha gets called up from Triple A Oklahoma City. Tony Gonsolin pitched on a minor league rehab assignment last night and ending in two thirds for Oklahoma's City. Evan Phillips on a minor league rehab assignment as well in ok Ce Clayton Kershaw Michael Kopek working their way back from early season injuries. All right, let's ted back out to Citizens Bank Park and check out the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 3: Any dad questions for Dave?
Speaker 14: Dave?
Speaker 11: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 13: The dugouts with Dave Roberts, What changed in what led to the decision to have Freddy stay back and go on the IL.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I thought, I think the thought was he could He could have played, but we just felt that even in talking to Friday the training staff, there was potential downside if we played them to make it worse. And given the time of year, the off days that we had, we built in some days that he missed off day coming up, just made sense for him to stay back, not travel fly, increased swelling and then be ready to go, hopefully when we get home for the Homestand.
Speaker 13: I know you're always thinking big picture, but how much of the luxury of having an aid to no start and as many good players as you have factored into being able to absorb a loss of a player like him.
Speaker 14: I think the having the depth certainly allowed us to absorb it, But I still believe that that's a separate decision which what is best for Freddy and given him more time, putting him on the IL made the most sense, and he wasn't too thrilled about it, as we would all expect, but understood it.
Speaker 12: Do you think he would have been having to play into the season with the ankle bothering even before this sort of should shower thing happened.
Speaker 14: You know, I think that if we wouldn't have done anything, I think it could have lingered all year. And not to say that we expected to be one hundred percent when he comes off, but I just think that it's something that we give it a chance to kind of maintain versus continually go backward as the season progressed, And that's something we just didn't want him to fight all year long.
Speaker 12: You have to go to any more like testing after the shower thing happened, or yeah.
Speaker 14: He took We got an MRI scan and there was nothing. Nothing. It came back the way we wanted to.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Dave Roberts, says Freddie Freeman goes to the ill. Yeah, when you're eight and O, you have the luxury, uh, putting a guy on the il to get really healthy and rested for the long season.
Speaker 3: When we continue here on Dodgers on.
Speaker 2: Deck, we'll check out with David Vassa as we lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and Phillies. I'm Tim Kasey, is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio notwek.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deach on your home for the Blue all season long law dance.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers and Phillies starting a three game weekend series. Yoshiamamoto on the mound. Coming up, will dive deep into this pitching matchup. Tim and Rick Lo have the keys to the game. We'll hear from Blake trying to first pitch set for three forty five.
Speaker 6: Joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck. I accept everybody for who they are. This is Dodger insider David.
Speaker 2: All Right, David, Freddie Freeman goes on the IL yesterday, and when you're as good as the Dodgers.
Speaker 13: Are, right, so it's better to get this guy healthy without a doubt to him. And that's what Dave Roberts expressed when I asked him about it. As you heard earlier. But Freddy didn't even make the trip to the East Coast, and he's going to miss out on being with his team at the White House. That's part of the perks of winning the World Series. So you know, this has got to be really tough for Freddie not to be able to play games and to even go on the IL. But the facts are Freddie, even before he slipped in the shower and reaggravated that right ankle, was telling us that he was going to have to manage this right ankle extensively until July. So this only makes matters worse when you reaggravate it the way he did. And this is the smart play. And even if Freddy doesn't agree, this is the smart play for the Dodgers. And they have a lot of good players and they're off to an eight and zero start. That all contributed to it, and Hunter Fiducca got called up today. He just came from Oklahoma City where he was telling me that team is stacked as well. It's like a major League team, he said, in Triple A. So the Dodgers have a lot of good players, not only on the twenty six man roster, but even in Triple A and Double A for sure. So this the Dodgers need Freddie Freeman healthy and that right ankle healthy when it counts the most.
Speaker 3: David is driven by four. There's one thing we like his choices.
Speaker 2: Find yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid all electric tough. This mark can only be called f one fifty. You mentioned the White House Dodgers going there on Monday and Mookie Betts going with the team.
Speaker 13: Yeah, MOOKI felt compelled to hold some sort of pseudo media session in the dugout at about four h five Eastern time today just because he's been asked by so many reporters are you going? Are you going? So it put him in an awkward spot. So he felt like he had to make this announcement publicly. But Mookie Betts wanted to make it clear he doesn't want it to be about himself. He felt like he did that when he skipped the Red Sox visit to the White House in twenty nineteen after beating the Dodgers in the eighteen World Series number two. He doesn't want to make this a political thing. This is not political, no matter how much anybody wants to make it. This is a tradition that goes back to the mid eighties where Ronald Reagan started inviting championship teams from California like the Lakers, to the White House. This is not political, and Mookie Betts wanted to stress he's not trying to make this political. He wants to be with his teammates. He doesn't want to make this about him. So it was awkward that he even had to do something like this earlier today. But he's been asked about it so many times.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna ask about the Dodgers win in every game this year, DV. Are they gonna go one hundred and sixty two and zero.
Speaker 13: No, But you know everybody talking about beating the Mariners two thousand and one record of one hundred and sixteen wins, that that looks realistic. Not just because they got off to this eight and zero start, but just the disparity and talent from other teams. The Tigers played really well, and I know talking to some of their players the final game of that series, they felt like they would have beaten twenty five other teams out there at least two out of three. The Dodgers played their worst game of the season and the worst I could remember in a while, that last game against the Braves, and they come back after being down five to nothing and win the game. So they're gonna lose one game in this series in my opinion, but there's a good chance they could give the Mariners of OH One a run.
Speaker 2: All right, tight out for the Dodgers. Derby brought to by Santa Anita Park. Tomorrow is a big day, Santa Anita Derby Day and Saninita Park starts with the five K the Craft Beer Festival, Spring Carnival, full day of raising at Santa Anita, millions of payouts. SORRYDV, We're gonna pick Tomorrow's Santa Anita Derby. It is the tenth race out of twelve, a mile in an eighth currently five horses in that race.
Speaker 3: Who do you like, DV?
Speaker 13: Oh? You know who I'm picking? I'm going with the number four horse Barnes in honor of Austin Barnes.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go with journalism. Something everybody needs to make sure.
Speaker 13: They uh Pertoispoli is the trainer? I heard the jockey.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, Italian man, the number one wars.
Speaker 2: All right, DV, good luck to you coming up here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. We're gonna hear from Blake trying to his DV sits down with him. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next your magical moment. So we lead you up to first pitch. Dodgers and Phillies, don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kasey's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Phillies. Yoshi Yamamoto, heyesus Lozardo. The pitching matchup in this series opener, first pitch of Citizens Bank Park, coming up at three forty five.
Speaker 13: Who wants hot?
Speaker 6: It's time for the Hawfy magical moment.
Speaker 1: Ditch Magical phone, presented by Hawpy hot tohts Well.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers taken on the fight and Phil so to go back to nineteen seventy eight the NLCS Dodgers and Phillies, Game four of the NLCS Dodgers, looking to get to the World Series, Bill Russell made it happen in the tenth all right one on.
Speaker 9: Oh to Russell, here's the look, check them the runner and the pitch on the way, lion time, pashut cutter, pay.
Speaker 13: Up, here comes say a round third hurry for whom the ball bars over.
Speaker 8: The cart comes here the pet up come ruffles.
Speaker 13: Fingers the feeder of the farmer.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers went on Russell's lion rush single to Federfield.
Speaker 2: Ah, the great cherry dogget on the call as Bill Russell's walk off single in the tenth sends the Dodgers back to the ninth teen seventy eight World Series. This Hofey magical moment brought you by Hoffey Hot Dogs, Haffey so Col's local treasure for nearly one hundred years, Hoffey hot Dogs, Local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you your prize. Picks double Play of the Day and we'll hear from Rick Monday. We lead you up to first pitch from Philadelphia on this Friday. Dodgers and Phillies. I'm Tim Kasey's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of.
Speaker 6: LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Phillies as a start a three game series. Yoshi Yamamoto on the mound, first pitch coming up, but three forty.
Speaker 13: Five got him with the two for one hard shot to third, droves the second on the first.
Speaker 6: Double What double tolls series? This is the Price Picks double Play of the Day.
Speaker 2: Join me and millions of others playing fantasy sports a Prize Picks. Download the free Prize Picks app and sign in using the code go blue and get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 3: That's go blue.
Speaker 2: When you sign up at Prize Picks, it's so easy to play. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win up to one thousand times your cash, whether it's strikeouts, RBI's first and you runs. You pick more or less at prize picks, use the code go blue. Here are my two picks today, Yoshi, i'ma moto. More or less six strikeouts, more more than six strikeouts. Key k Hernandez, more or less a half a single. I'm gonna say more. He's gonna get at least a base hit today. Key k Hernandez joined me at prize Picks. Use the promo code go blue. Prize Picks, run your game.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Bass saying, here's la Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 13: Rick, it's great to be in Philadelphia with you. You had a lot of successful years with the Dodgers coming to Philly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the city, your brother Lulu up for the guy that used to be behind the dugout at the Vet Veteran Stadium.
Speaker 10: So yeah.
Speaker 9: Other than that, the guy yelling at me for eight years never turned around. For those never heard the story, I never turned around, but for the moment we came out to take batting practice. The guy was on me from the Cubs and then onto the Dodgers, and for eight years I never turned around. I never gestured to him. I never even turned to see who it was. I just knew it was coming somewhere within proximity of the visiting third base dugout. And then finally one day I would come out to batting practice, and as you alluded to, I hit pretty well against the Phillies for whatever reason, and I came out on deck ready, I'm getting okay, this leather lung guy is going to get on me. And I heard nothing, and I had really a bad game. And the next day I come out and the guy's on me. Mondy, you bummed, you've did that. And I said, turn around for the first time, I see where the guy is. And I see the first time who the guy is, and I went, where in the heck were you yesterday? He goes, well, my Dodger graduated from my docter graduated from high school. I said, well, good, don't do that again. I said, a bad game. Game started, came in the ondeck circles going, oh, come on, Rick, come on, Rick. But this is a very knowledgeable city when it comes to the sport. Said this is a fun place to come in, even though fun because you know it's going to be competitive, and the Phillies leading the East, Dodgers leading the West, and Rick, you know, you.
Speaker 13: Go back to the years that you played against the Phillies with the Dodgers. We always want to talk about the World Series against the Yankees, but it was the Phillies that you would always beat in the NLCS to get to the World.
Speaker 9: And that was not an easy stepping stone either, because they had extremely good teams, not only the talent, but then when you come into this ballpark, you don't have to worry. Are we the visiting team?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: They tell you right out flat, Yeah, you're the visiting team. So yeah, the pathway to the World Series for a while is you had to get through the Philadelphia Phillies in order to win the nationally pennant to get to the World Series.
Speaker 13: All right, Rick, fast forward to twenty twenty five. Are the Dodgers ever going to lose? Everybody wants to now.
Speaker 9: Yes, eventually they will. I don't perceive it as being tonight if the Dodgers do not expand the strike zone. One of the things that you know, Tim Neverert and I talk about is that if you look at Lozardo, he had great success last year in getting hitters, in particular against the slider to expand the strike zone, and if they if they go chasing pitches out of the strike zone, it's going to be a long night for the Dodgers, and they've got to be a very disciplined as hitters.
Speaker 13: Miguel Rojas gets the start at third base against the lefty Lozardo Munsey, who came up with a big two run double on the Otani heroic night.
Speaker 9: Do you notice what happened also before that double was hit and knock into two runs late in the game. Here's my point. We keep hearing about these torpedo bats, right, which in my mind is a little bit of well, it's you're trying to go a mental placebo Okay, to a certain extent, I understand the dynamics of it. But Max Munsey used a torpedo bat the first three at mats in that ballgame. He went back to his original bat, the silver sword, if you will. That's right, the last time up and he got the double. I listened to your postgame show. I meant to ask you this on the plane yesterday. Did I perceive Max Munsey in your interview the postgame getting a little emotional super emotional.
Speaker 13: A tear coming from his right eye. That's how emotional today.
Speaker 9: From a defensive standpoint, The reason I bring that up is that this is not just show up and play a game and no go home. These guys care about what they do and it hurts them to not be able to present themselves the best manner to their teammates because they want to be there for their teammates, because they know those guys are there for them.
Speaker 13: Hey, Rick cared a lot too. You wren't on your sleeves and that's why La still loves you.
Speaker 9: Rick.
Speaker 13: Well two, Hey, here's something else for you, Rick. Yes, the great Tom Petty once had an album titled Damn the Torpedoes, Damn the Torpedoes in Baseball full Speed A h we'll send it back to you, Tim.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks a lot, MO, thanks a lot of dv As we lead you up to first pitch from Philadelphia on this Friday, Dodger fans, start your future. The California Community College financial aids available to help you with tuition, the books, sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes they can fill up quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot Com. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll get you a previous this pitching matchup. Rick'll be back with Tim. Never at those keys to the game, but up next we'll hear from late trying lead you up to Dodgers and Phillies.
Speaker 3: First pitch come up at three forty five. I'm Tim Kates. This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Hello, this is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunt. Game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers in Philadelphia taking on the Phillies. Yoshi, I'm a moto on the mound. First pitch coming up at three forty five. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zenchi handkrafted Sushi.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed the game with the quick, affordable meal.
Speaker 2: The whole family will enjoy Zench hand Crampton Sushi made fresh onsite daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion and a tradition. You can taste tudor roles, salmon, timpurra shrimp, my personal favorite, the mango crunchy dragon roll. They have poke Bulls fine zench Sushi near the deli counter at rause Zen.
Speaker 3: She always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 6: This this high and tight.
Speaker 13: We are in the city of brotherly love, and I'm joined right now by a man that considers me a little brother, maybe a big brother, and that is Dodger reliever Blake Trining. Great to see you, brother, Goode's it's it's moderately good to.
Speaker 3: See you today.
Speaker 13: Hey, I saw you just come back from this new revamped bullpen in Philadelphia.
Speaker 14: They got the.
Speaker 13: Slunning glass doors. What do you think about that situation?
Speaker 12: It's great, but don't no fool yourself. And we got it is because I think there's some type of rule where if you upgrade.
Speaker 3: One, there has to be competitive balance.
Speaker 12: We can't be sitting in the elements if they But thank you Philadelphia for taking care of that.
Speaker 3: So it's nice. They did a good job.
Speaker 13: I heard, with the reputation of a city that boots Santa Claus, it was a little distracting to have the fans here that close to the visiting bullpen.
Speaker 12: Fans are fans, I mean there's places just as bad, if not worse at times, you know, like for the percentages and population that filled the entitlement to say whatever they want because they bought a ticket. You know, like that's fine. I mean, we're professionals. We get paid to make sure we can block it out. So you know, that was only the handful of people across the league that want to be ignorant and do stupid stuff that weren't being ejected.
Speaker 3: So tread tread lightly.
Speaker 12: You know, like if you come to the bullpen, We've got guys that have a quick trigger.
Speaker 1: It's not me.
Speaker 12: I'm not going to tell you who it is, so but there are quick triggers down there.
Speaker 13: Blake Trening is our guest as the Dodgers and Phillies are getting set for first pitch. Blake, here's something I've never asked you before. How do you continue to get better with age? Because it feels like you're not only maintaining, but you're getting better every year.
Speaker 12: Was that a mild backhanded compliment?
Speaker 13: Blake?
Speaker 12: With as old as you are, can you teach an old dog new tricks?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 12: The reason I'm even in this game still is by the grace of God, and I've been very blessed with good people around me to try to, you know, learn me some new stuff. And you know, for what it's worth, Trevor Bauer helped me with my sweeper back in twenty one and spring training, Connor mcguinnis and Mark and Bard, they all helped me stay locked in on certain cues with my pitches. So my success is a culmination of plenty of good people around me keeping me dialed in. We are about as good as those who are around us. You know, if I was on my own, you know, you always think like, man, if I was somewhere else, could I repeat what I'm doing? Maybe, if that's what God wants me to do. But I like to think that the people here have really helped bless my career, and hopefully I've been able to bless you know, the organization on the backside of it too. But you know, learning new pitches certainly helps lengthen your career, and you know, I like to think that I'm doing something right and maybe the Lord has favor over my career too.
Speaker 3: It's to me, it's evident and.
Speaker 12: No more obvious than the fact that I'm here for another two years of the Dodgers.
Speaker 13: Yes, that news was broken by a TV reporter in Houston somewhere. Blake, as far as that sweeper goes, you're a great person to ask this. Can you define what a sweeper is? Because us mere mortals hear these different terms of pitches and don't really understand. Is it just another name for a slider or is it a unique shape of a pitch.
Speaker 12: I think it's more or less. You're you're clipping at higher rate with lateral spin to get it to turn. So if you were to put it more north and south, it'd be a curveball. But since it's east and west, the idea is that you're catching the seams just right to get a lateral curveball. And that's why you don't really see him higher than truthfully, like a big sweeper, you don't really see bigger than like, you know, sixteen to twenty and then uh lateral uh and then you know the vlo. I. There might be a couple of guys and there's a lot of talented arms out there, but most most sweepers are you know, no harder than eighty eight and that's pretty that's pretty elite to get. Usually when it's that hard you get you're flirting around like ten to fourteen lateral. When it's a little bit slower, you have time for it to catch more and you know you can get more more lateral with it. But yeah, it's just it's just a lateral curveball.
Speaker 13: Okay, good to know. See I was confused. We're all confused about the sweeper.
Speaker 12: And I would have never known to describe it as that, and unless I had talked with Connor mcguinnis and he kind of worried it that way because I you know, I'm not a big fan of reinventing different terms. I mean, people have thrown lateral sliders for a long time. The idea now that it's a new pitch is just that we've got more information. We've got kenn of tracts, we've got mo cap, we've got all these things that can teach guys how to throw these pitches at a quicker turnaround instead of learning it for years. That now the whole league can learn to throw them. And so you know, the next pitch, who knows what it is. Maybe it's the kick change, maybe it's something else. I don't know, which is another weird term to me. We've got a ghost for it, or kick change a splinker, which is just a split fastball that sinks, and I you know, we can call it and have fun with it, and it's it's good for fans. But at the end of the day that a lot of the pitches are still the same. But old timers never really called him new pitches. There's I asked my slider, ask my curveball. It's my sinkers, my splitter. So yeah, here's a we'll see with the next new pitches in baseball.
Speaker 13: All right, Thank you Blake Trennon, who's been very kind with his time, and he seems to be a big brother to some of these younger relievers. Your catch partner today, Ben Caspirius, how much are you mentoring him?
Speaker 12: I will only mentor as much as they allow me or want me to. I'm not going to force any of my stuff on anyone. I think it's hard to try to press who you are on someone else. Leading by examples, the biggest thing, he might get something from me, he might get something from Tanner or Kirby or Vessia Banda, whoever.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just you.
Speaker 12: You You're gonna have to pick and choose what version of yourself you want to be out there as a competitor, as a as a guy who prepared, as a guy who executes, and how to stay healthy. There's so many factors in being successful in this game. And you know the guys who stay around for a while or fortunate enough to have the right information and hold on to the right information throughout the course of their career to linking out, you know the innings they pitch and you know, is this is this where he's supposed to be long term? I like to think so is this?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 12: Is his body gonna stay healthy? Is his preparation gonna get dialed in? And you know, like every he's doing a lot of great things right now. And for being a young guy, he's one of the more polished arms I've seen come up as a rookie, with the amount of pitches he has that are plus probably that I can think of, maybe only Luke Trevino is about the only guy that I could think of that came up with three plus polished pitches as a rookie, and he's one of them.
Speaker 13: He's very lucky to have Blake Trenton in his life and as his catch partner, Blake. Always love catching up with you. It's always fun and let's do it again soon.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and one last note is Dave. Dave's my favorite interview to do in baseball.
Speaker 3: Also, well send it right there.
Speaker 13: On a good note, Blake Trining has been our guest and he'll receive a gift card for Caanansunglasses. Visit them at caanaan dot com. Tim, we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks Lot DV, Thanks Lot, Blake.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Pauler, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast.
Speaker 3: When it's Game nine, it's group night at Shaky's dot Com. Leading you up to.
Speaker 2: First pitch in Philadelphia on this early Friday afternoon here in Los Angeles, Dodgers and Phillies getting ready to go at it. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup when we come back. I'm Tim Kase's world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deap on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 2: Law Dodgers San Phillies Dodgers starting a three game set as Citizens Bank part started their first East Coast road trip of the year, the head to Washington, DC trip to the White House on Monday. First things, first pitch, first pitch coming up at three forty.
Speaker 1: Five, and before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: Forreshent about your Southern California Toyota dealers work hard, in play hard at a New Tacoma with an I Force turbo charged engine. It's a truck built for the Bowl. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Hey sous Lozardo on the mount of one to o with a three sixty era twenty seven year old left hander born in Peru, raised in Florida. Third round pick of the Nationals in twenty sixteen out of high school. There was a four seamer, a sweeper, a slider, a changeup, and a sinker. The seventh season in the Big Leagues the A's Marlins, and I was first season in Philadelphia after getting traded over in the offseason. In his first start this year, five innings, two runs, five hits a career high eleven strikeouts, he becomes the third Philly and franchise history of notch ten plus strikeouts in their debut at the club, joining Garrett Stevenson in nineteen ninety seven and Jim bunning Back in nineteen sixty four. This is his fifth time facing the Dodgers in his career. His fourth career start, twenty and two, third innings, three forty eight ERA, nineteen walks, eight e runs, one Dodgers homeward off from Shoeotani. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers, twenty six year old right hinder his second season with the Dodgers, making his third start this year. He got the opening day start in Tokyo, fired five innings of one run ball well, giving up only three hits and striking out four in a win. Last start five innings last Friday against the Tigers in his first home outing into twenty twenty five. He gave up two runs on five hits, two home runs, two walks, while striking out a career high ten. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the Mountjesus Lozardo two guys that get a lot of strikeouts. It's the Dodgers and Phillies were fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 3: Keys to the game are next.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers eight and oh to start this season, hit the road for a six game East Coach road trip. They'll go to Washington, DC next week. Not before this three game series though, in Philadelphia. Yoshi Yamamoto, Hey suth Le Zardo. The pitching matchup of the series opener, first pitch of three forty five. Before that, let's have back out to the booth one final time before first pitch. Tip Neverrettrick Monday, guys.
Speaker 8: Ten, thanks again, we count you down to the first pitch between the Phillies and the Dodgers. Weather is very good here in Philadelphia, and the Dodgers and Phillies pretty lucky about that tonight is temperatures will probably get to the high fifties by the time the game is done. So recent Dodger Stadium weather, I guess you could say they'll have here in Philadelphia.
Speaker 9: Yah, this is a lot better than Denver, where they had snow at the beginning of their game tonight, So yeah, this is not bad at all. They're expecting you could get a little bit wet tomorrow, but we'll worry about that when it happens. For Yoshinoba, Yamamoto is third start trying to make it two wins and no losses. And you look at Yamamoto, one of the big things is you'll hiss off speed pitch, as it's been absolutely amazing, and especially when he gets ahead and counts. That's something he's been able to do.
Speaker 8: The splitter is actually up in velocity, at least so far this year, about a mile and a half per hour, and that has helped to make it a little bit more effective. The opposition is only two for eighteen against his split fingered pitch. That's hitting just one to eleven, and he comes off an outing in which he had a career high ten strikeouts. Eight of those ten were on the splitter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, about the fact ten innings he's worked already has fourteen walks, only three or make that fourteen strikeouts only three walks. On the flip side of the coin, Dodger hitters have to stay back and make Jesus Lozardo throw strikes. Here's the reason I say that last year, seventy percent of Lozardo's strikeouts were pitches that were out of the zone. Don't expand the zone. If you do, it's going to be a long night for Dodger hitters.
Speaker 8: And with the left hander on the hill for the Phillies, Max Munsey sitting this one out at least for the start. Miguel Rojas will start at third base.
Speaker 11: Eight.
Speaker 8: A couple of guys with some hitting streaks right now. Tommy Edmond has hit in all eight Dodger games. Will Smith has also hit in all eight games.
Speaker 9: Yeap, and the offense just continues to go. And I think if you look at this Dodger offense so far, it's not been one area. It's been top two, bottom, including the mid part. And you don't know really which guy is going to be hot on a given day so far.
Speaker 8: So the Dodgers have been relying on the long ball too. They lead the National League in home runs with eighteen. There are a couple behind the Yankees for the major league lead, but they have scored a good percentage of their runs on the long ball. This is a very home run friendly ballpark three twenty nine down left three thirty four and then it juts out the three seventy four in the alley and left center. But this has been a very home run friendly ballpark in the past. We'll see what happens here tonight in Game one as jesus Lozardo, the left hander takes on Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Yamamoto making his third start of the season for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Tim all right, just a reminder, no Freddie Freeman on the end list.
Speaker 2: With the right ankle keiky Hernandez gets to start at first base. Yeah, yet again, and with the left hander on the mound, there is no Maximunzi at third base, as Miguel Rojas of course getting the start at third base because of Hayes Susi Losarto. What it starts, Studded weekend. It is Dodgers and Phillies, these two rosters, all Star appearances, Dodgers thirty four Phillies twenty seven MVP awards between these two teams, seven between the Dodgers and the Phillies. How about Silver Slugger Awards between these two lineups Dodgers and Phillies, A combined twenty six Silver Sluggers. So offense and pitching is gonna be on full display in Philadelphia, and it starts with this series opener. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Hey sus Lozardo, the pitching matchup. When it's all over, David Vasse will be back with all the post game highlights festivities in post game Dodger.
Speaker 3: Talk as well. Enjoy it.
Speaker 2: First pitch is next. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Oh you know where