Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray WBS costs video.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking with tick me and Dan and tick Man Dan. I just want to say thanks so much for one being with us tonight and also hanging into the next hour here a little bit let me in a little bit more, a little more slowly, give you an opportunity. You're you're developing a website which is called Tickman Dan all one word dot com. Correct, that's right. And when you say you're developing, is that going to be a website that you hope is you know, up and running and uh. And people can call during you know, literally throughout the entire year when they have a question or a problem. They're not able to get through one night's side. But you know, sometime in September someone gets bit by a tick, you could help them at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because there's a lot of people that basically they discover a tick and the first response is panic and what do I do next? Well, I'm trying to just develop a step by step response that will allow them to do whatever is whatever we can do to help reduce the risk.
Speaker 4: Of contracting a disease from the tick.
Speaker 3: Okay, And there's prevention tips and other information. There, I'll be starting a newsletter. It's all very early, so it's in its infancy, and so it is there and you can contact me through that site. And I will be implementing a hotline, which probably will cost a few bucks in the future, but at this point I'm offering a complementary consults just to give you the basics and hopefully just ease your mind a little bit if you are experiencing a bite.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I think we saw that with the first call a last hour Ken from Tomsfield. He had a lot of anxiety, which is understandable because it's an unknown. And then this number that you have, it's eight five five B A D T I C K bad tick, So that's easy for people to remember. Let let's get a few more phone calls here. Again, I don't want to impose on you, but I really do appreciate you taking the time, and there's some people holder over and again if you'd like to call and ask a quick question six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other the the other lines I'm not going to give out right now because they're full six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty, which I just gave out is full if you got it, if you want to call six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Let me go next to Frank in Harwichport, Massachusetts. Hey Frank, welcome, You're next on nightside.
Speaker 3: Hey Dan, how you doing baby?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Doing great? You're want with tick me and Dan? What's your comment or question?
Speaker 4: Question?
Speaker 5: I go to Thompson Field to walk the German short haired pointer who's taking.
Speaker 4: Brevec though, which is a pill.
Speaker 5: He takes it, keeps it for three months the ticks off him. Somebody asked about essential oils. I like to spray peppermint essential oils with some other stuff and water on the dog on my legs to keep the ticks up. And I didn't hear from tick man Dan whether he believes those essential oils are any good?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead, Mandan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Frank.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Again, it's it's hard to say, but I don't think that that's gonna hurt anything. And certainly if you spray peppermint oil or essential oils on these ticks, they don't like it, but they are a different creature, and I'm saying in the worst situation, they could certainly get around that type of barrier somehow because of the way that they actually don't breathe very often. I've heard stories of ticks that get flushed and can survive, ticks that have been left underwater for days and are perfectly okay. So just given that, but but it does irritate them. And I think in conjunction with the promethrone treated clothing and other flea and tick preventatives for your pets, like the brevecto, I mean, you know, there's always gonna be some controversy, and there's always gonna be people on both sides saying no, that stuff is gonna kill your dog, or this.
Speaker 4: Stuff is better.
Speaker 3: And and you know there has been some neurologic response that it's been noted with the ingestible tick and flea treatments. You know, that makes me a little nervous when you're starting to you know, ingest medications that will repel biting.
Speaker 4: Arthropods like ticks.
Speaker 3: So but if your experience is good and you feel comfortable with it, by all means, that's what you need to do. And I just may add Dan and for the rest of the listeners that my area of expertises is more on the prevention and more on how actually ticks behave, how they wait for you, how they bite you, what kind of processes go on, what do they secrete all that stuff. So I'm going to kind of stay away from the more of a disease aspect and treatments and therapies and so forth.
Speaker 4: But do they smell the peppermint? Dan?
Speaker 5: Do they smell the pepper? Would be like, I don't want to be anywhere near that? Does it sort of does that a repellent?
Speaker 3: Like there can smell it act like a repellent. It's an irrit it's an irritant. They don't. They have sensory organs, and they do detect carbon dioxide, which we were all breathing out, and they do detect some kind of heat signatures. But again it's vary depending on the species of ticks. Some are actually will will detect you and run towards you. Those are called the hunters, and deer ticks are called questers, which they actually just wait for you to come by, and it's more luck than anything else, but they know where to where to go and wait. So yes, they can detect whether they're actually smelling it or not. It presents an irritating, you know, aspect to the repellent. That's why I always kind of go back to this permethron because it's not a repellent, it's an actual killer. It's called in a car a side side meaning killer kills. It kills the ticks. And think about it this way. You put the repellent on your dog, but ticks get on the dog and they go I don't really like this. But the dog's already in the house, sitting on your couch, and then the ticks.
Speaker 4: Get off and they're still alive.
Speaker 3: With promethrone.
Speaker 5: They found one on my wife yesterday.
Speaker 4: I found one on so great.
Speaker 3: No, I've had him in I've had him in my bed, I've had him on the you.
Speaker 4: Know, in the dog bed and so forth.
Speaker 3: So you might want to check out some of the the treated pre treated apparel.
Speaker 2: Frank, great, great question. I got to ask her, how's our signal? Are you listening to us on the radio or on some sort of electronic device? In Harve's point, because you're on the south side.
Speaker 5: I'm on my phone. I was driving home and then I went in.
Speaker 4: On the phone.
Speaker 7: So I was supposed to you in the car, and I put it on my.
Speaker 5: Phone, so I'm listening through the internet.
Speaker 4: I guess on my phone.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, well I'd love to know because I know it's on the south side of the Cape and the signal there is can be spotty. Thanks, thanks so much, Frank, call anytime. Have a good one.
Speaker 4: Bye, thank you, good night.
Speaker 2: I talk to you good night. Let me take a quick break here tick me and Dan. I actually have a caller from Missouri, a caller from Indiana, And if that's going to be it, we'll wrap it up and we'll let you out of here at ten thirty. We will give again your address and your website, and also there eight five five number that people can call. It sounds to me like you're providing a potential service here to people which doesn't exist. And when someone does find a tick on themselves or on a family member, who better to call than tick Ma and Dan. We'll take a quick break right back on night side, right after these messages, and we will get to the whole question of what the Food and Drug Administration has done. They have now ordered that a lot of the synthetic food dies that have been used so much in our food material here in the States to be done with these petroleum based food chemicals, and that is a big victory for Robert F. Kennedy Junior. And he wants to make America healthy again, and I hope no one disagrees with that. We'll talk about that probably at the end, well, once we finish up with tick Man Dan. But I just think he's such an important guest, particularly at this time of year. I do want to ask you about some of the other ticks. We think deer ticks are bad, but they got like these spotted mounted mountain ticks, and there's a whole bunch of really nasty ticks in other parts of the country. And when I come back, I'm going to ask you, since we're going to talk to someone from Indiana and someone from Missouri, if some of these even nastier ticks are coming our way. My We'll be back with my guest, tick Man Dan right after this very quick break.
Speaker 1: It's night Side, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got time for two quick phone calls for tick Man Dan. Jim Jim, you were next on Nightside. Welcome, Go ahead. Jim is in, by the way, what Jim is in Missouri? Go right ahead, Tick Jim.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Kansas City side here, Dan, and Dan, Hey, thanks for taking my call. So a guy walks into a bar with a tick on his Now, seriously, last time you were on, I gave this a lot of thought, and I came down to this one. It came down to this one question, and but I didn't know the answer to it. And I'm sure you will know the answer to it. Are these ticks born with these diseases or do they have to like get them from each other, or do they have to get them from animals or.
Speaker 2: And that's a great question, and I'm sure Dan has the answer for you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Dan, Yeah, the answer is according to research up until now, we have discovered that ticks are born clean mostly, but there there is a caveat to that. There is one bacteria that has been found to be passed on from the mother tick to the egg, and it is a cousin of.
Speaker 4: The line bacteria. It's called Borellia.
Speaker 3: Miamotoi I and that is was discovered in Japan, and fortunately it's very rare around here, especially in the northeast. However, some I actually know somebody who has been diagnosed with that. So that's bad news because the typical scenario with a deer tick, which I always referred to because they can carry the most different types of pathogens that can cause people illness, tick born diseases, lime disease, and what they call.
Speaker 4: Other co infections.
Speaker 3: The mother lays the eggs. The eggs are typically clean, so the larva that come out are clean, but they will search for a small road, in particular a whitefooted mouse, and the white footed mouse is also either clean or dirty.
Speaker 7: And those white footed mouse were in on it, yes, they are big in on it.
Speaker 3: So the clean tick bites a dirty mouse. Now the mouse stays dirty and the tick is now dirty. So then the dirty tick bites a clean mouse, and now the dirty tick stays dirty and the clean mouse is dirty, and so that's how it kind of evolves. They molt into their nymphl stage, same process, and then they molt into their adult stage. That's why the older a tick is, the more likely it contains some sort of pathogen. So larval tics are typically non worrisome. However, you still have a slight chance of this borelliu mi motoy I, So of course I wish it didn't used to be like that. A few years back, but these new strains are starting to pop up and we need more research.
Speaker 2: Well, we need to appreciate that question, Jim, I thank you for the question. I got a couple more. I'm going to try to sneak in here. Okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that's a good thing, because if they're born with it, we're just completely hopeless.
Speaker 2: But anyway, thank you appreciate it. By the way, there's some other ticks around the country, and of course we're being heard in different places around the country that are even worse than deer ticks. I mean, you've told me about some of these before. Was it the rocky mounted spotted fever is carried by some ticks in different parts of the country in Gym's direction, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Correct, Dan, I wouldn't say that there are other ticks that are worse than the deer tick. I think right now in the US, deer ticks are the worst ones because again they can carry a dozen or.
Speaker 4: More different diseases.
Speaker 3: Other species of ticks and the most common in this country would be the dog tick or the wood tick, the deer tick, and then there's a lone star tick. There's also Gulf Coast ticks, but these are kind of more variations of the wood or the dog tick. Now in New England, it's the three ticks now that are bad, the lone star, the dog tick and the deer tick. Now there's different things that go on with the different types of ticks, Like the dog is more associated with carrying this risetia or what's called Rocky Mountain speed fever. It's very rare up here in the Northeast, but much more common in southern areas of the country and out west. So uh they you know, we we have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: The loan start.
Speaker 2: Let me, let me, let me get at what more India quickly for your Pat in Indiana. Pat next on Nice I with tick man Dan and go ahead.
Speaker 8: Pat, Hello, thank you for the call. I ensure that I do have a sustained pick bike that I did not know was there. Well, it's more than a bite. So what's kind of specialist what I see? My regular internal medicine I know would not have a clue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the difficult thing, and that's why people are having so many problems. But there are websites and foundations that can help direct you and provide you with much better resources than I can, and I would suggest if you have a pen and paper or maybe jotting this down, or you can re listen.
Speaker 4: But there is.
Speaker 3: Something called Limedisease dot dot org. There's another website called eye lads which stands for Associated Lime and Disease Society eye lads dot. I think it's it could be dot org. But if you just google those those too, you.
Speaker 4: Will find a good resource.
Speaker 3: There's also a Global Lime Alliance and a Bay Area Lilliance Line Foundation, which I think would be great resources. And they do welcome your type of call, and they provide some good referrals and good even some what they call Lime literate doctors in your area that could probably help.
Speaker 8: Very good because that's one of the reasons I've not gone, said the doctor was I've been doing my own research, but after listening tonight, I thought maybe I didn't choose the right path.
Speaker 2: So let me make a suggestion to you, Pat, Pat, let me make a suggestion to you. Are you pretty good on the computer? Yeah, Okay, google this name. I think he's the smartest doctor and the most the advanced doctor. His name is Alfred Miller. He is out of Texas. We've had him on the show before you can google him and you can contact him. Is doctor Alfred A. L. F R. E. D. Miller. Simple as that, okay, and you leave your number with Rob or Betty or Betty at you take, Rob will give you my phone number. Uh, and you will have my phone number if you have trouble reaching doctor Miller. I can put you in contact with him, but I want you to make an effort to find him. He has some very short videos on YouTube on the Internet which is going to be very helpful for you. Trust me on that. But take my direct number from Rob. If you're a regular listener.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well I am, and I will. As they say, I've listened to that gentleman many times too, but I never expected so much information, So thank you very very much.
Speaker 2: Don't hang up. Rob will give you my direct line. Okay, all right, let's try this. I'm gonna try one more call and we'll let you go right after this. Phil is in Boston. Phil, you gotta be quick for us.
Speaker 5: Around in Boston.
Speaker 3: Have you concerned about these turkeys and they they drag a run with them? Yeah, takes your feet on anything that has blood. Turkeys certainly have blood. Although I've been told that turkeys will will eat them in the wild, but it's hard to eat a tick that's, you know, stuck behind your ear. So yeah, yeah, good, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Phil was so quick. I'm gonna maybe if you want to get this caller up real quickly for me, Rob. If not, I'm just gonna uh uh and ended. And here this guy is just called in. If this person wants to talk to tick Man Dan. Here we go, Rachel and Quincy. Rachel, your regular caller. We're into the newscast. You got to help me out. What's your quick question for your last the last caller for tick Man Dan.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Rachel, okay, really really fast. So Dan, I have horses. I have a horse that suffered from line. Had him tested. His numbers were fifteen hundred. I put him on all the medication. His numbers still stayed at fifteen hundred. And he's older, so he decided not to I also know that.
Speaker 8: And doctor Ti, what is.
Speaker 2: Your question, Rachel, give me a question please.
Speaker 6: My question is is when somebody goes to the doctor, do don't they have to ask for a trace tick test? Not just a line test. It's a line trait test.
Speaker 3: I'm not too familiar with what you've just mentioned, but the standard office offering for Lime is going to be Western Blot and ALYSSA E L I s A, and I think that's all they're willing to do. I even asked my provider to approve a private UH diagnostic test, which is a year analysis test, and she denied it.
Speaker 2: Rachel, I got you. Yeah, Rachel, We're going to give Dan's number. You can call him, but I am way into my newscast. Rachel, you understand write this number down when we give it. We're gonna give it right away. Okay, thanks, Rachel, get it right. Okay, you're welcome. Thanks. Okay, So you guys can reach tick Man Dan dot com all one word, or you give him a call at during hopefully during business hours. Don't call him like at midnight one eight five five bad tick tick Man Dan. I can't thank you so much for the generosity of information and time. I know we're a little crazy here with some of the Lake callers, and I apologize for that, but we got it all in somehow, some way, and maybe we'll have you back one time before the summer sets in. If that's okay with you.
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely love doing the show, love your callers and love you Dan.
Speaker 4: So feel free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk to you soon and thanks again. Good luck everybody, and reach out to tick Man Dan and don't neglect your crevices.
Speaker 2: Words to live by, words to live by. Thanks tick Man Dan. We get back. We're going to talk about red diyes, getting red dyes out of our diets. Hallelujah. Back on night Side right after the news