Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App ok F I and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County. All got all your host Amy Kay, Good morning.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, August ninth, appropriate that we played that show open. Dodgers are in town tonight. I'm going to the game, so that's why I've got my Dodger blue arm.
Speaker 4: Very excited. It's going to be beautiful, can't wait.
Speaker 1: I was walking around yesterday at about five o'clock on Oh it's starting to cool off. It's to be a great night at the ballpark tonight or tomorrow night. So excited for that. Hey, did you catch the end of Coast to Coast? George was talking to the pirate guy and so they started talking like pirates. So I'm like, are I'm going to be doing that all day? And then I thought, you know, they do have a talk like a pirate day, So I looked it up. Talk like a Pirate Day in twenty twenty four is Thursday, September nineteenth. We're gonna have to do something fun for that are a mate. Okay, here's what's the head on wake up call. Former President Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris will debate at least once. ABC says Trump and Harris have agreed to a debate on September tenth. During a press conference yesterday, Trump said Fox has agreed to hold a debate September fourth in NBC on September twenty fifth. The networks haven't confirmed those. Harris hasn't agreed to them, she said yesterday she was looking forward to the debate on September tenth. People living in Encino have been buying guns and higher private security firms because of a rash of armed burglaries in their neighborhoods. Residents are saying police aren't doing enough to protect them from repeating burglaries. LAPD investigators have said that an organized crime ring may be behind the burglaries. The US women's soccer and basketball teams are in action at the Olympics today. The women's soccer players are taking on Brazil in the gold medal match. The basketball team plays its semi final game against Australia. We're going to get the latest from Paris with ABC's Innez de La Katera. In about fifteen minutes before the top of the hour, ABC's Jason Nathanson's going to tell us about the latest from Hollywood heavy hitters Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and also Blake Lively is taking on her husband Ryan Reynolds at the box office. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Mortgage rates have fallen to their lowest level in more than a year. They'll tell you where they are and whether they're going to keep on falling. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has threatened to take state money away from any county that does not make a better effort to help the homeless. He was in Mission Hills yesterday helping to clear a homeless camp. Newsom says homelessness is a crisis and local government needs to step up. He again criticized La County for not doing anything to clear out homeless camps, even though he signed an executive order last month. Newsom's office says the state has spent twenty four billion dollars to clean up camps and move people off streets. The wildfire burning near Chico and northern California continues to challenge firefighters. The fast spreading fire started in late July. It's now thirty four percent surrounded. Calfire's Jim Evans says the hot, dry conditions are making it hard for crews to suppress the fire, which is now moving into the Lassen National Forest east of Reading.
Speaker 5: Thus, for most of the fire activities going on, we have a crews up there that are putting in some some good firefighting efforts. There were a few spot fires up there that we have people up there that are just knows as well.
Speaker 1: So far, the fires burn more than four twenty seven thousand acres. A third person's been arrested in Austria in connection with what investigators say was a foiled plot to attack a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna. Officials say the eighteen year old taken into custody yesterday had been in contact with a nineteen year old who was arrested on Tuesday. They say he had also pledged oaths of allegiance to ices, but is not directly connected to the attack plans. ABC's Maggie Really says three sold out Swift shows were canceled Wednesday because of the plot, the.
Speaker 6: Swift team releasing a statement just hours before the first night's concert saying we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone's safety.
Speaker 1: Thirty say the nineteen year old confessed that he started planning the attack in July and wanted to kill as many people as possible. A third person has died from a lasteria outbreak linked to Bor's Head Deli meat. The number of people sickened has gone up to forty three. The CDC says the third death was in Virginia. The other two were in New Jersey and in Illinois. Bor's Head recalled seven million pounds of Deli meats on July thirtieth, and Snoop Dogg has been such a hit at the Paris Summer Olympics that NBC is reportedly already planning to try to get him to be part of the twenty twenty six Winter Olympics in Milana Cortino. The president of NBC said they would be thrilled to have him back in any capacity. The Milano Cortino Olympics are scheduled for February twenty twenty six. It's five oh seven on your Friday morning wake up college, say now good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller, who's in Jerusalem. Jordana, with the threat of retaliation from Iran or its proxies, the Israeli security Cabinet has met in Tel Aviv deep underground, tell us about that.
Speaker 6: That's right. Out of the abundance of caution, the head of Istral Security Agency recommended that all of the ministers meet and essentially the war bunker in Israel's equivalent of the Pentagon. After several hours of meetings of that meeting, we heard from the Prime Minister that he is going to send a delegation on August fifteenth to be part of another push to finalize a Gaza ceasefire. This really, you know, President Biden and Texture of State Anthony's Lincoln deserves a huge amount of credit for keeping their eye on the Gaza ceasefire and really using America's ironclad support for Israel, both in word diplomacy to get Ran to pull back from its massive attack which is not imminent any longer, and sending so many warships here in the United States asking Israel to in exchange in a sense, you know, to keep it, to go back to the gods of seasefire and try to cut a deal, saying this is the best way to diffuse tensions and you know, keep the Iranians from a major attack and likely get has Bolah to moderate what they're planning. You know, it is diplomacy at its finest, and you know, we're going to see, you know, how much flexibility Nataniell gives his team. But for those of us that have been you know, following the ins and outs of the ceasefire negotiations for months and months and months, it's now at a critical moment where everybody except Na'taielle, everybody in the defense establishment, everybody in the intelligence community believes this is the moment for Israel to get to finalize the seasefire, pull out of the Godden Strip entirely, and get all the hostages out, and really time to end the war. So we're going to have to see if that happens, If there's progress that leaves on that front, very good news. And in the meantime, Isel says it's still bracing for a possible strike from Husballah. So that strike is you know, going to be likely limited to the North of Israel and no longer deep into Israeli territory, not in Tel Aviv. The Israeli Dan the Americans have made enough messages to say that, you know, if they strike Tel Aviv, even if the targeted the military base, there's so many civilians around the bases that Israel will not tolerate, you know, death and civilians, so that that would cause a major reprisal. So I can say a little more than a week out of after the twin assassinations we saw last week in Tehran and n Beirut, weren't a much better place here where diplomacy seems to have worked. And you know, Israel's bracing for something, but not a massive, massive.
Speaker 1: Attack, and we will hope that diplomacy prevails. And we will check in with you again as willing next week and see if they've made any more progress. Jordana Miller, thank you so much for your information. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Talk said, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man accused of throwing ten puppies wrapped in a kiddie pool out of his truck and mission via Ho could be facing animal cruelty charges.
Speaker 7: THEO shows him clearly taking the pool and tossing it into the bushes.
Speaker 2: Mission Viaho Animal Services Lieutenant Kyle Warner says hours later, a shelter dog pulled his volunteer walker over to where the three week old puppies had been dumped about two weeks ago, a good distance away from the Animal services center.
Speaker 7: We do have a relinquishment process, so if you would have just waited until we were open, we could have facilitated a owner relinquished man.
Speaker 2: He says, there are many options for taking in unwanted animals, but dumping them is illegal.
Speaker 8: In Orange County, Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News, a man wanted in connection with the killings of three women in nineteen seventy seven has been returned to southern California. Seventy three year old Warren Alexander was in custody for another cold case murder in North Carolina, Ventura County da Eric Nasarenko says the case could widen.
Speaker 8: This is an active investigation.
Speaker 9: We do, indeed believe there are additional victims, both locally and in other states.
Speaker 1: The women killed in seventy seven were sex workers found strangled in Portwainimi, Oxnard, and an unincorporate unincorporated area of Ventura County. Investigators say they were able to match Alexander's DNA to a nationwide DNA database, Amazing what DNA can do.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 1: Officials in Maui are commemorating the one year anniversary of the wildfire that killed more than one hundred people.
Speaker 9: The flames moved fast from the foothills through the historic Tunnel Lahaina, destroying everything in its path, including twenty two hundred homes and buildings. Kahuia Lewis says more than fifteen hundred families have left the island because they have no place to live, with more expected to leave.
Speaker 10: When you start to see max exodus of the people, you start to change the fabric of Hawaii, and that's what's at stake is the future of who what he is is, an identity as a people, as a place.
Speaker 9: Hawaii's governor said a four billion dollar settlement will be split among six hundred lawsuits. No official cause of the fire has been released. Steve Gregor King if I knows a.
Speaker 1: Man who allegedly stabbed a Walmart employee to death, in Lake Elsinor was on parole for a similar crime.
Speaker 11: A fast food worker says Lonnie Hinton stabbed him in the back three times after another employee punched him for stealing tips. Hinton was given five years in state prison under a plea deal in twenty twenty in which an assault with a deadly weapon charge was dropped. Assemblyman Bill of Saley, who represents Lake Elsinor, says the case points to a need to reevaluate criminal justice policies.
Speaker 8: Not of all people.
Speaker 7: Some people have to stay confined in a prison cell for the benefit of the greater good.
Speaker 11: Hinton is facing a murder charge for Monday's killing Blake Trolly.
Speaker 8: K if I News.
Speaker 1: Ukrainian forces are continuing their push into Russia's Curse region. ABC's James Longman says it could be a preamble for peace talks.
Speaker 12: So this is them putting their flag in the ground, if you like to say. If there's going to be talks, they're going to be on our terms. We want to negotiate from a position of strength. You're dealing with a serious party here in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Longman says Ukraine could be targeting Russia's energy infrastructure, as one of the towns attacked is critical to Russia's gas supplies. Former President Trump says suggestions that crowds at his campaign events are diminishing are wrong. He says reports by Democrats, the Vice President Harris and running mate Tim Walls are getting bigger crowds than he is. Our fabrications they.
Speaker 13: Talk about, Oh the enthusiasm. Let me tell you, we have the enthusiasm the Republican Party and me as a candidate.
Speaker 1: Trump said during a press conference yesterday that he attracts crowds bigger than Martin Luther King Junior had for his I Have a Dream speech. A coalition of local lawmakers and leaders have gathered to get the message out Hate has no place in schools or anywhere else. The group held a news conference after a couple kids went onto the campus of El Marino Language School in Culver City and tagged it with racial and homophobic slurs. The kids, who do not have any ties to that school, were arrested and released to their parents. Two men have been arrested in Ventura County for two separate attempted kidnappings. A forty year old is accused of trying to grab a seventeen year old who was walking with her mom outside the Semi Valley Library yesterday afternoon. The day before, police say a twenty year old man walked up to a woman in Ventura and tried to grab her. She screamed and he let her go. A Team USA member from Agoora Hills has struck gold at the Olympics. Tara Davis Woodhall won the gold medal in the women's long jump. The twenty five year old sword and I mean sword to her first Olympic gold yesterday, landing a more than twenty three foot three inch jump. That's impressive. Davis Woodhall is just the fourth American woman to win gold in the long jump at six oh five. It's handle on the news. It's mid August, but Halloween's already everywhere. How retailers are tricking customers into getting their Halloween treats earlier than ever. Now, lit's say good morning to our favorite ABC Olympics correspondent in this Dila Ca Terra in Paris.
Speaker 3: But your.
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 1: And as we only have like two days of competition left, are you a little sad or are you ready to be done?
Speaker 3: I am sad.
Speaker 14: The Olympics.
Speaker 15: The Olympics blues there called it's starting.
Speaker 4: It's a real thing. So let's look back a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yesterday the fastest man in the world came up a little short but has a good excuse.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so huge upset on the track. Noah Lyles, who was favored to win gold in the two hundred meter final on the men's side. He ended up having to stead for bronze after he was sunned by Botswana's Lidzilad Tobago. So he won the gold and then it was fellow American Kenny Badark who won the silver. Noah won the bronze. After the race, Noah Isles didn't look too well, so he was lying down on the track. He appeared to be having issue breathing. He was wheeled off the track in a wheelchair and we later found out he had been diagnosed with COVID two days ago, which is interesting considering we found out from the WHO a few days ago that at least forty athletes had been diagnosed to with COVID. I will say Paris organizers are they've taken a new approach here. They've said they want this to be a return to normalcy, and so they're letting athletes diagnosed to with COVID decide for themselves that they want to continue with the competitions or withdraw. In Noah's case, he did decide to compete, but it does explain, you know, why he was struggling on the track after the race, probably explains why he didn't get the gold because he was favored to win the gold medal.
Speaker 1: Well, and he still got the bronze running with COVID. So I think that's exactly that's gold medal worthy in my book.
Speaker 15: Totally totally amazing that he was able to do that with COVID. We've all, I mean, at this point, I think we've all had COVID and it's I couldn't do what they do normally, but to do it with COVID is all the more impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's something else that was pretty impressive. I was watching the women's four hundred meter hurdles. Did you catch that one?
Speaker 15: I did not, But we did very well in that did very well in that.
Speaker 4: Another stunning runner.
Speaker 1: I'm just I still am just amazed at how gorgeous the runners are, and you know, you'd think that they're out on the track and they're all sweaty and stuff, but they've got their makeup done, they've got their hair done, and I'm like, they just like look like a million bucks. Is they're running for gold. I think it's very impressive. But yeah, she gosh, I can't even think of her name right now.
Speaker 15: I should probably Yeah, Sidney MacLaughlin loves ron or Loro. I'm not sure how you pronounced it, but yeah, So she took the gold and she broke her own world record, which was a big deal. And you know about how good they looked. She was wearing a crown post race.
Speaker 4: I know that was funny. I think she was a little embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Her friends or her boyfriend or husband kept putting it on her and she'd take it off and then they'd put it on.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was very sweet though.
Speaker 1: And then Team USA basketball actually got a run for their money yesterday.
Speaker 15: Yes, that was an incredible one. I mean, yeah, it was just Appolis. So they were up against Serbia. We've talked a lot about how Team USA is amazing and they've got Lebron James and Stiff Curry and Kevin Durant and how they are basically unbeatable, but we got scared there for a second yesterday. So Serbia of course has Nikola Jokic three times MVP, so it was down to be an interesting game, but I don't think anyone expected it to be this close. We were actually down to Serbia by seventeen points in the first half of the game, and then Team USA staged an incredible comeback in the fourth quarter. We scored six points in two seconds and.
Speaker 4: Way we scored six twenty one. We've we scored six points in what you cut out for.
Speaker 15: A second in two seconds, in two seconds, and we did end up winning a lot of it thanks to Steph Curry. But yes, we beat Survey in ninety five ninety one. And I think what made it, you know, all the more fun was that for once you can kind of cheer on all these big names working together as opposed to you know, typically they're on different teams, they're opposite each other, and it was cool to have them all working together for once, and they're not going to be playing France in the final on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Fabulous.
Speaker 1: And you had an assignment yesterday were you were you able to check out break dancing or breaking.
Speaker 15: I know, I feel like I misled you because it's I am going. It's today, but it it is happening in the next few hours, so I can't report breaking just yet. It hasn't actually started. It starts this afternoon Paris time. But but yes, I'll be going. I did find out some more about judging, So judges are going to be using it's called the Trivium judging system, and they're going to it's gonna be nine judges and they're going to be looking at things like technique, execution, mutality, originality, range of moves, maintaining control, landing smoothly, and improvisation and creativity also encouraged.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it sounds like it's very, very, very subjective.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think it will be. Yeah, we'll see that. Yeah, women competing today, men tomorrow, and it is the first time we've ever had this at the Olympics.
Speaker 4: It'll be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: And then what other things do we have left because we only have two days left, but I'm imagining they're going to cram everything in.
Speaker 4: At the last minute too.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So today, the big one is a sixteen year old Quincy Wilson, who will be competing in the four by four hundred meter relay. He is the youngest male US track Olympian ever. We've got Shikarrie Richardson also back on the track. She's going to be participating in the four by one hundred meter relay. We're hoping for a gold medal there. The US women's basketball team has been on a fifty nine Olympic game winning streak. They're going to be playing Australia today in the semifinal match. And and yeah, and then we had marathon swimming for on the men's side. I went to see that this morning medals, but they did. I mean, it is really beautiful to see. I was standing on one of the bridges and you could see them simming under the bridges over to the Eiffel Tower and then back. It's really beautiful. It's impressive. So I understand what Prairius organizing we were trying to do with that, but just a little worried for their well being, so we didn't meddle in that. T USA did not meddle in the in the marathon swimming. And then we've got things like table tennis, yeah, and more track and field. Basically, I think track and field continues to be the star of the show Today, Action.
Speaker 4: Packed and then closing ceremony on Sunday.
Speaker 14: That's right, just a few days away.
Speaker 15: A lot of questions as to what you know we're going to be looking at. They haven't released many details, but they've been very secretive about the actual lineup. We know there's going to be a big handover to LA twenty twenty eight the next Olympics. Tom Cruise might be involved, Rumors that he could be participating in some kind of stub there, but we don't know. None of that is confirmed, so we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: We'll be watching in es de la Katera. Thank you so much.
Speaker 15: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, have a great weekend, closing weekend, and I hope you don't get too much of.
Speaker 4: The Olympics blues.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County health officials are investigating a reported case of hepatitis A at a restaurant in Little Tokyo. The infected person is an employee of a Zay Little Tokyo on East First Street. Health officials say anyone who ate there between July twenty sixth and thirtieth should get a hepatitis A vaccine if they are not already immune. Public health officials in Pasadena say a dead bat found in the city's tested positive for rabies.
Speaker 4: Officials said yesterday the bat was.
Speaker 1: Found near East Green Street and South Hudson Avenue and is the first bat to test pose in the city for rabies since twenty nineteen. They say the risk of catching the disease is low, but people should not touch bats with their bare hands. Curb areas painted red could be used for scooter parking in downtown La.
Speaker 16: Printed scooters already have to be parked at designated sidewalks rather than wherever whenever. City Councilman Kevin da Leon says downtown needs to be treated more like a community, which means keeping its sidewalks.
Speaker 5: Clearer increasingly, even post COVID, it is a burgeoning neighborhood that is growing incredibly vertically.
Speaker 16: Because more parking spots are needed and sidewalk space is scarce. The council's Transportation Committee voted to study red curb areas as a possible solution.
Speaker 13: In downtown La Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Pirates at home, with the first pitch going out at seven ten. I got my Dodger blue on I'm going to the game. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Five year old.
Speaker 1: Yun Chuen and four year old Singbao have been introduced to the world at the San Diego Zoo. Dignitaries and visitors around the world or from around the world. We're at the Zoo for the penda's public debut yesterday. The pandas will be at the San Diego Zoo on loan from China for the next ten years. You can get tickets to see them at the Zoo, or you can get them online at San Diego Zoo dot org.
Speaker 4: The California High Speed.
Speaker 1: Rail Authority has a new CEO, Ian Chudory, will replace Brian Kelly, who announced he was retiring earlier this year. Officials say Chudury has decades of experience in the transportation sector, Chudury will oversee the next phase of development for California's high speed rail project, which was first approved back in nineteen ninety six and as at least ten years behind schedule, not a single mile of track has been laid. LA Mayor Bass has returned to Paris for the Olympic closing ceremony on Sunday. She'll receive the Olympic flag to bring it back to LA ahead of the twenty twenty eight Olympic Games. And as you heard in Z telling us there's something set up that's going to be a little sneaky. We think it's Tom Cruise, who was expected to assist the mayor by repelling into the stadium to take the flag and then skydiving out of a plane to the Hollywood Sign.
Speaker 4: We shall see at six oh five. It's handled. On the news.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump and Vice President Harris have agreed to debate at least once and on the subject of the presidential debates and the vice presidential running mates. We want to say good morning now to ABC's and Flaherty So and JD. Vance called out the presumptive Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Walls for not being entirely truthful about his service and it seems to have gotten some legs. Is there anything to it or is this just a nothing burger?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, it's interesting. Who is Probably the biggest allegation is that Tim Walls. He had said in this clip that was actually promoted by the Harris Walls campaign where he's talking about weapons of war. He says that he's arguing for gun safety legislation after the Parkland shooting, and he says, you know, weapons of war that I carried in war should not be allowed on the streets. Well, we all know that he never carried weapons in war. He was never in active combat. He did carry weapons in his twenty four years of Army National Guard service. He was deployed to Italy as part of Operation and During Freedom in the wake of the nine to eleven attacks, but he was never in active combat. And if you look at the broader portfolio of all of his interviews and when he's talked about his service, he has made clear that he never actually was in a firefight. That he says he's gotten way more out of the Guard than they ever gave. He gave them because you know, he was able to pay for his college with it, so you know, in totality has been honest about his record there. But it was that one clip that the campaign promoted that said he had carried weapons and war and there were obvious questions about that because combat veterans say, you know, listen, don't exaggerate here. That's not where you want to exaggerate.
Speaker 1: Well, and then there was also that he was saying that he was a Master chief surgeon. I can't remember what the exact rank was, but that he didn't actually retire with that rank.
Speaker 14: So this is a little bit of semantics because what happened was that he had become the highest enlisted member of his unit, and it's called command sergeant major. He achieved that level in September of two thousand and four. Now, the Army Guard requirements or that you have to stay in it for three years, you have to meet certain requirements in order to retire at that rank. So he achieved it, but then he retired several months after getting to that level, so he wasn't able to keep that rank in retirement. So we saw yesterday the campaign changed. You know, they had retired command Sergeant Major Tim Walls. They changed that to former command Sergeant Major Tim Walls. Now, is that semantics, I don't know. I think the other allegation had a little bit more attraction of carrying the weapons in war. But of course all of this in its totality JD. Vance is saying simply, this is stolen valor.
Speaker 1: And apparently for somebody in the military, that's a pretty serious little allegation.
Speaker 4: And then there's there's the other talk that that.
Speaker 1: Walls retired before his before his unit was deployed, and that some of his people who were with him were not very happy about that.
Speaker 4: They think that he abandoned them.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, and that's a little bit murkier. He had already said that he was going to run for office. He was an anti war Democrat. He wanted to vote to end the war in Iraq, he wanted to bring troops home. He had filed papers to join to get into that race in January, and by March there was heavy speculation that his unit, the one that he was the highest enlisted member of, that it could possibly go to a rock. We've spoken with people too who say, you know, at the time, we didn't have an official alert order. There was speculation, but we didn't know for sure. He was very torn because if he went to a rock, you'd have to seek a deferment to stay in that house race. He of course filed his papers. Two months later they got the alert order. He ended up running for the house race and winning, flipping a Republican seat, and his unit ended up staying for close to two years in Iraq.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, Okay, So.
Speaker 1: We'll see if this one sticks or if everybody moves on and find something else to complain about. Be and Flaherty, thank you so much for your time and for clearing things up for us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Thank you, all right.
Speaker 4: And either way, both jd.
Speaker 1: Vance and Tim Walls served in our military, and we of course appreciate that because, you know what, that's a big deal. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Orange County has demanded a nonprofit either prove how federal COVID relief funding was spent or return the money immediately.
Speaker 2: The two point two million dollars given to Via America Society was meant for meals for seeing. OC supervisor Katrina Foley says every nonprofit is required to keep documentation on how taxpayer money is used.
Speaker 1: If they can't prove how they spent the money, we won't be able to prove how the money was spent to the federal government, so we could be on the hook for that funding as well.
Speaker 2: OCI supervisor Andrew Doe directed the money to the nonprofit where his daughter worked. Doe and a lawyer for Vieta America Society have not responded to multiple requests for comment. In Orange County, Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News and off duty Beverly Hills police officer has shot and killed a man in North Hills. LAPD Captain Brian Windling says the off duty officer tried to break up a fight last night on Roscoe Boulevard near the four h five.
Speaker 8: There were two people fighting.
Speaker 10: One was armed with a pipe, the other was armed with a handgun.
Speaker 5: We do not have all the facts at this point, but there was an officer involved shooting that occurred.
Speaker 1: The guy with the gun is the one who was killed. The guy with the pipe was arrested nearby. Samsung is recalling more than a million appliances. ABC's Dariel Helpinger says the problem is with knobs on Samsung electric stove sold since twenty thirteen.
Speaker 13: The Consumer Products Safety Commissions reviewed videos which showed dogs or cats jumping up against or onto certain models and pawing at the knobs. A dog in Colorado did that and accidentally set boxes on the stove a flame.
Speaker 1: Bad dog, she says that caused a house fire. Samsung says it'll provide knoblocks or covers for the recalled models. And Swifties have been serenading in the streets of Vienna, a day after Taylor Swift's sold out concerts in the Austrian capitol were canceled because of a terror threat. This thirteen year old fan joined in on the singing when the.
Speaker 4: News got out that was canceled.
Speaker 13: There were a lot of tears, but I'm happy that with other people are feeling the same and we're having a lot of fun together.
Speaker 1: Organizers in Vienna canceled three concerts on Wednesday when investigators found chemicals, explosives and detonators at the home of a nineteen year old so suspected would be attacker as well as ISIS propaganda. A seventeen year old was also arrested. A third teen was taken into custody yesterday, again, all three of those concerts were canceled. Former President Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris will debate at least once. ABC says Trump and Harris have agreed to a debate on September tenth. Harris has not agreed to two additional debates on Fox and on NBC September fourth and twenty fifth. Former President Trump talked about those during a news conference yesterday. Harris said she's looking forward to the debate on September tenth. The body of a fifteen year old swimmer who went missing while swimming with a friend in Huntington Beach in late July has been found. Huntington Beach Marine Safety officers found the body about ten am on Monday. The boy and a friend went swimming near Lifeguard Tower eleven on the night of July twenty eighth, and the boy never made it back to shore. Eastvale's Little leaguers they're going to play for a spot in the Little League World Series tonight. The championship game is being played at Al Houghton Stadium in sam Bernardino. Admission is free for fans if you want to go catch a baseball game. This is the farthest a team from Riverside County has advanced so far, we're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, mortgage rates have fallen to their lowest level in more than a.
Speaker 4: Year, but they're still relatively high.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's entertainment guru, Jason Nathan Send.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Jason.
Speaker 8: Hey, good to be here.
Speaker 4: Well, so it's.
Speaker 1: Week three for Deadpool and Wolverine. Is it going to dominate again or does it end with a new movie?
Speaker 8: It does not end, It'll keep going.
Speaker 7: The Deadpool Wolverine train is going to continue, probably this weekend with a fifty million dollars or so weekend. But but if Blake Lively's new movie it ends with US overperforms and Deadpool underperforms, then you might see something, you know, a little bit of a competition there.
Speaker 8: But I don't think that's going to be the case.
Speaker 7: Though I think the Blake Blake Lively movie is going to do well. I just don't think it's going to do Deadpool type numbers. And it's interesting because the two of them, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds, of course, are married, and it's the first time since nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 8: I think, no nineteen ninety.
Speaker 7: That you've had a married couple with the top two movies at the box office, and that was Bruce Willis with Diehard two and De me More.
Speaker 8: With Ghost Wow. So a little bit of trivia there.
Speaker 4: And a little bit of a friendly competition.
Speaker 1: I hope that they're doing well because remember when Reese Witherspoon and what was the guy's named, Ryan Philippi? Yeah, and she was all of a sudden getting all this success and then pretty soon their marriage fell apart.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean you know that happens. I guess, yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't think that's the case. Here you see both of them heavily support each other at both of their movies. We love to see that premiers and press Junkinson and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, And did you get to see it ends with us?
Speaker 7: I did, yes, And so it ends with us stars Blake Lively as a character named Lily Bloom who owns a flower shop, which just from that, I'm like, I don't know about this. It's based on a wildly popular novel by Colleen Hoover, which I know a lot of people have read and was a best seller, and given the name Lily Bloom and the flower shop thing, and the trailer that I saw, which does get into the fact that this is a movie that is about domestic violence, I was kind of like, I don't know, is this gonna be kind of lifetimey And I was actually very surprised at just how kind of thought provoking, nuanced and complicated.
Speaker 8: It is a look at a.
Speaker 7: Domestic abuse story, not something that we've seen before. The Lily Bloom character is a woman who she moves from kind of suburb to Boston. She's trying to start her own business, this flower shop. She meets a guy and who is who's played by Justin Baldoni, who's also the director of the film. They spark an intense relationship that you think at the beginning this is kind of like it's a romantic movie, but then things turn kind of serious and a little bit different, And like I said, it's subverted my expectations, which which is a good thing.
Speaker 8: It's not black and white. This is not a lifetime.
Speaker 7: Movie, and I appreciated that Justin Baldoni is complicated and nuanced and he's strong here. Jenny Slat also co stars, who is she's the best friend, she's comic relief shore, but she also has a nice dramatic touch with her character as well. And so overall, I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be with this film and Blake Lively, of course, I think is just fantastic.
Speaker 8: She's great and just about everything she's in, and I would love to see her in more.
Speaker 7: You know, she hasn't really led a whole lot of movies as of late, and she's got a bunch of things going on, and she's got different clothing lines and drink lines and you know, things like that, and I get it, but I would also love she's really she's she's dramatic here, she's also very funny. I would love to see her in a straight up rom com. I think she'd be great and something like that. Maybe with her husband. I don't know, but I think she elevates this film higher than what it would have been. So that said, it's not amazing, but it was much better than I expected.
Speaker 8: And this is seven point two out of ten for me.
Speaker 1: And was that Do you think it's worth going to the theater or wait for the stream?
Speaker 8: You know, that's that's gonna be a personal thing.
Speaker 7: I will always advocate for the theater experience. Do you need it for this? Not necessarily? No, I mean it is not. You know, I think there are there are some movies these days that necess that. I think a Deadpool is one of them. I think a horror movie, a comedy where you're in a group setting. I don't think you need to be in a group setting necessarily to see a movie like this, And it's not. It's one of those tough ones because it's not a romantic movie, although there are elements of romance, so it's not like a date night movie necessarily. But I think it is good for couples necessary to see. I think it is good for groups of female friends and male friends to go see as well, But it's not the kind of collective experience you necessarily have to have.
Speaker 1: In atheist Okay, okay, So then moving on, I'm interested in Girl. You know it's true because I loved the song and then the scandal surrounding Millie Vanilli.
Speaker 4: But is it enough for a movie?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, the story itself is fascinating.
Speaker 7: I think I think here the story is maybe better than the movie itself, not that the.
Speaker 8: Movie is bad but it's not.
Speaker 7: I think, if done properly, this could be like an all time great music biopic because the story is so fascinating, the story of Million Dan Millian, what happened there and these two guys, one German one French, who when you hear them open their mouths, you're like, how did anybody buy the fact that these guys are singing these songs? Because the guys who were singing these songs were you know, American almost kind of like Motown guys, and.
Speaker 8: You know, hit the highs that they had that they hit.
Speaker 7: With number one songs, several hits in a row, they won a Grammy, and you also just you realize how different a time it was in the late eighties and early nineties, because that just couldn't happen today with because nobody in the general public heard these guys speak. Now, when they were in rooms with the executives, they heard them speak, right, and they did do some interviews here and there, but for the most part, if most people, if they had had a TikTok or an Instagram, you know, you would have been going like, the voices don't match up. So it was very specific to that time that said I mean, it's just a fascinating story. And if you remember or if you're around at the time, and I was like twelve thirteen, fourteen during when these songs were hitting, and so I remember this happening, and I remember the music videos on MTV in heavy rotation. But I also remember it being like a joke, right, it was a national or international joke of what happened with Milli Vanilli. And then also you realize there were actual, you know, tragic consequences here, with Rob Palatis, one of the members of Milli Vanilli dying just eight years after the whole scandal was revealed of a drug overdose and he fell into deep depression and drug use because of the scandal that happened. I mean, this what happened here took his life. Now, Robin Faber painted here as pretty much victims, and I think that's how they see themselves, or saw themselves victims of Frank Ferry and the producer who was kind of just looking for hits and would do any to get them, and the record label Arista and them really kind of perpetrating this fraud on the public. So I think, you know, to what degree that they had a little bit more culpability here. I think it may be a little more than you should see in the movie. But because their family and fab are involved in the movie, you get the music, right, you get the backstory, you.
Speaker 8: Get a lot of interesting stuff.
Speaker 7: So it's all interesting and it's an interesting watch, even though the quality is a little.
Speaker 8: Lower than I would have liked. It's a seven point three out of ten for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, And now, of course we're running out of time, and I hate that. I always want more time with you. Jason on the stream, Matt Damon and Ben's baby brother, Casey comes to Apple TV for the Instigators. We don't have time to talk much about it, but just a thumbs up, thumbs down, what do you think?
Speaker 8: Five point eight out of ten.
Speaker 7: It's a heist movie that I wanted to be funnier than it actually was, and although it gets right.
Speaker 8: To the action, so all right.
Speaker 1: And then I saw a trailer for this one. Borderlands opens this weekend. Big names. Is it gonna be a big.
Speaker 7: Kate, Kate Langent, Kevin Hart, Jamie Lee Curtis. It has a seven percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 4: Right now, so I think the trailer was awful.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 4: Is that is the movie that way too?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, so oh well, there you go. I probably will not make an effort to go see that one, which is disappointing because, like you said, big names.
Speaker 8: You probably don't need to.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Jason Nathanson, appreciate it, all right, ticket all right, This is KFI and KOST HD two the Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app, and we certainly appreciate it that you do. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.