Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, the Great America, and welcome this wonderful Fursday afternoon in the dry State. We have weather, we have the market, we have Tom Brenneman, we have Mike McConnell. We got assaults inside the Kenton County Jail, doc markets, and free fall. We're going to cover all these issues the next two or three hours with a segment of so much more. But until then, once again, Rob Sanders, Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And I kind of monitor the case here of Timothy Delahanty, which is really unbelievable. And I texted you that this guy belongs to El Salvador in one of those prisons down there, which might be a fitting. But describe first of all the criminal history of this guy, who, on the same day he sentenced to life imprisonment, punches a deputy trying to take him to prison on a different charge. Tell us all about Dela.
Speaker 2: Hanty, Well Willie. Timothy Delahanty was the only suspect in a cold case murder out of Ellesmere, the dates all the way back to two thousand and six, just before I took off. His is the kamal at the Turney here in Kenton County. There wasn't enough evidence to charge him at the time, although he was investigated for years on end until longhold back and I believe it is twenty twenty three. He walks up to a Covington police officer in a parking lot of Saint Elizabeth Hospital in Covington and says, hey, I want to talk to you about this fellow that I stabbed death out in Ellsmere eighteen nineteen years ago. Un Fortunately, that officer that he happened to walk up and talk to had spent a little bit of time working in Ellesmere before moving to the Covington Police department, so he knew what he was talking about. Didn't just think he was some kind of crazy person. Although he might be some kind of crazy person, but that's a whole nother story. Anyway, brought him in, called the Ellesmere Police. They sent a detective down, took his confession, we charged him up, and knighted him for murder. While he was incarcerated waiting for his case to be litigated on that murder charge, he decided to try and kill one of his fellow inmates at the Kenton County Detention Center. Another guy that was in from but we had it all on video where he came up behind him and choked him unconscious, tried to strangle him to death, and when that didn't work, he started stomping on his head while he was unconscious, right in a rec yard at the Kenton County Detention Center. So with his prior criminal history, he was eligible for sentencing enhancement as a persistent felony offender and first degree and he ended up entering an open plea means we refused to offer him any plea deals we were going to recommend the maximum. He went and plagued guilty anyway, went in front of the judge and Judge molloy and Kent Circuit Court gave him life sentences on both of those cases. So apparently mister Delahnty wasn't too happy about getting those two life sentences because he was taken back to the Kenton County Detention Center to prep him for transport down to Lagrange where they process all the state inmates. Before they could get him transported to Lagrange, he decided that as soon as one of the jail guards took his handcuffs off so he could shower, mister Delahnty took a sling at him, punched the jail wut right now in a face meanless to say, struggle was on. He did not win that fight, but he did get himself charged with the Sultan first degree persistent fellon the offender in the first degree. We charged him up, took in the trial, and the jury gave him a maximum sentence of twenty years.
Speaker 1: So he's facing life imprisonment and the killing of Paul Clayton. He's facing life imprisonment for the attempted murder of inmate Jonathan Muskiel, and now he's facing additional years for punching a cop. And the video is unbelievable. The CoP's been the guard's being a nice guy. You can't shire with your handcuffs on. Of course, down in El salvad Or not much shiring going on anyway. They put a fire hose in there every now and then and say I've ad it. And so this guy, thinking I have nothing to lose, let's punch a cop and try to take him out.
Speaker 2: And yeah, he thought he was going to get a freebe William. We don't give freeby's here in Kenton County. On any kind of criminal offenses, but especially not those against law enforcement. So we teet him up again. And even though it's not going to add any total time to a sentence, because of course you can't serve more than life. Once you're dead, they go ahead and haul your corpse out and bury you somewhere, So it really isn't going to add much to the total time he serves. But I tell you what, you are eligible for parole on a life sentence in twenty years. But now when he goes in front of that parole board, he's going to be looking at that one but two life sentences, is going to say, hey, wait a second. This guy was convicted of assaulting a jail guard and persistent fellon the offender, and the jury could have given him as little as ten years, but they maxed him out. They gave him twenty years. They told us that this guy doesn't need to ever get out of prison, and that quite frankly, willly short of sending him to the out Salvadorian prison, is the best place he can be is locked in a box here in Kentucky for the rest of his life. And although he will be parole eligible someday, with this new twenty year sentence for assault third degree and PFO first degree. I doubt he's ever going to see the light of day.
Speaker 1: He's not particularly an old man. He looks to be in his twenties or thirties. And the motivation of walking up to a police officer and saying, I want to confess to killing Paul Clayton, it's like you do, that's unusual. And then I've seen the video of him walking around the yard. I guess you got an hour a day out he wanted to kill somebody else. Jonathan Mskiel barely survived. So what's the punishment this guy could commit crimes and if and he could commit many crimes the next few years, and he gets nothing for it.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, he gets his sentence and it all it means is he's never going to get out. You know, if he'd gone in there and behaved himself, made use of his time, you know, gotten some education, maybe while he's in there, taking some classes, you know, woodworking classes, plumbing classes, they have all kinds of trade classes that they give him in prison. They teach him to be certified in Google. Whatever the hell that means, I don't know, but it gets your time off your sentence if you get certified in Google while you're in prison. That's one of the classes they offer. They have all kinds of stuff. They have anger management classes, they have parenting classes, they have all sorts of things. And normally inmates can get time off their sentence for them, but not Timmy. Since he's a violent offender, he doesn't get most of that good time credit. But nevertheless, it doesn't really matter because you can't save time off the back end of a life sentence. And now they're going to see another assault on a law enforcement officer conviction that came after his life sentences. Like, buddy, you didn't learn your lesson from a life sentence, not two life sentences. You got twenty more years. In no way, we're never letting you out. And that's what mister de la Ante has to look forward to now. So he might think it's a freebe but I think you know, about nineteen and a half years when he meets the parole board, he's gonna regret taking a swing at the jail deputy here in Kenton County, because we don't let anybody take free swings that are jail deputies or any of our law enforcement officers in Kenton County. You're going to go to prison or stay in prison. Mister de la Ante's case, you're not getting out, and this will probably get him in some kind of height and security, you know, maximum security. They'll probably ship him down to Eddieville, which here is not a fun place to spend your time. But who knows, we might get a contract with the El Salvador him over there, because he would sit right in with all the Ms. Thirteen and everybody else that were sporting over to El Salvador to lock him up in their prisons.
Speaker 1: I don't think things are going to go well for Dela Hanty and Eddyville, but in L Salvador he would go very poorly. He didn't fit in down there. He thinks he's in tough dude, go into that prison to see how tough you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dela Hanty, he was quite the full too and brought. At first, he refused to come back from prison. He wouldn't get out of his cell. Now I'm thinking, you know, if you're an El Salvador, I doubt you have a choice about whether or not you're coming out of your cell and they tell you to but apparently in Kentucky it's negotiable because he refused to come up to court a few times prior to trial, but somebody talked him into coming up before trial, so he came up, only to then come in the court room. First, he refused to put on his civilian clothes. You know they get they get your plane looking clothes. Even if you're serving a life sentence, you don't get into the court room in your jumpsuit. Although mister dela Hanty refused to change out of his pink jumpsuits, so he came into court shackled in a jumpsuit, and right before they brought the jury in, he started cussing the judge. He told me to perform a sex act on him, which I politely declined. He wasn't very happy with anybody. He was cussing me, cussing the judge, cussing the ballasts, cussing the deputy jailers, and eventually demanded to go back into his cell. And the judge asked him if he was waving his right to participate, and he dropped a few more f bombs and she says, I'll take that as a yes, sends him on back so we actually did his trials fastest tribe ever done, Willie. We were done in just a little over three hours, which is unheard of. Normally my trials go two, three, four days or more. But we got this spell any conviction, twenty years sentence done in three hours. But mister Dela Hanty wasn't there to enjoy it with me. He was back in his jail cell.
Speaker 1: So day La Hannah asked the county prosecutor to have intercourse with yourself, and you turned down those offers. And Tony Bender wants to know, is it legal to have a murder trial with the murderer not present?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not if there if they're like if somebody it doesn't show up to the court, will you can't start a trial without him. But if they are there in the courthouse and they are just making a disruption of themselves causing if they are the ones causing the problem, first of all, they can waive their right to be present for their own trial, or the judge can have them removed if they're disrupting the proceedings after having been warned. But this was a kind of a combination of both. The judge gave him every opportunity. He told him he had to behave himself and quit you know, calling people fu and F this and F that, that he had to behave himself. He wouldn't do that. She asked him if he was waving his right to appear. He dropped a few more f's and she said, I'll take that as a yes, and that was the end of him. So, no, you can. You can't proceed the trial if somebody is present at the courthouse and they are just the reason the trial is not proceeding with them in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: It's talking about twenty years. It'll be sa always say it'll be twenty forty five, twenty forty five, And mister Della hands he's gonna come up for per in his late fifties. By that point, the odds of getting it are quite small. And then he's gonna die. He's going to die in a box and then be put in a box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and be carried out of prison in a box. I anticipate that's the only way he's getting out of prison.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck to Timothy Delahanty. So when you have jail guards that are being attacked in the future, I would imagine you have to shackle the guy even when he's taking a shower, going to the bathroom. How do you do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know's that's Timmy's problem. Now he's going to figure out and I have to how to soap himself up with with shackles on, because I know they don't take him off of him very often anymore, and they certainly don't do it with only one guard standing next to him. Everywhere he goes, he's accompanied by three or four of our detention Center's finest and biggest and nobody turns their back on mister dela Anty anymore, that's for certain.
Speaker 1: Well, that's unfortunate, but he's going to get a full measure of Kentucky justice well past our lifetimes and maybe some others lifetime. It's unbelievable. This guy gets all these full measures of justice and he's just killing people, trying to kill people, trying to punch guards, trying to kill guards. If that guard I saw the video, if he was by himself, didn't have those two harry S men behind him, other guards, he would have been in deep trouble. This guy Della Hanty would have killed him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fight was on, I'll tell you what it was. Deputy Adam Oglesby is the one who took the punch and then started the wrestling with mister dela Hanty, got on top of him, got him secured as his other guards ran over to help him. And I wouldn't want to fight at him. He's a big dude and obviously knows a little wrestling or jiu jitsu or something, because he flipped mister dela Hanty over and put his head in the ground and held him there until the other guards could get him handcuffed. Mister dela Hanty took a couple of tasings in the process because he wouldn't cooperate put his hands behind his back, So no, I think mister de la Hanty ended up beating him bloody by the end of it. Actually, I think the guards showed tremendous restraint because if he'd ha a sucker punched me like you did at him, I don't know that I could have resisted the temptation to throw a few sucker punches myself, but Adam did very professional about it, got him into handcuffs and they just locked him down in a restraint chair and put him in isolation and let him sit there until he calm him down. I don't think he's ever tried it again, because I'm definitely certain that mister dellahuan't. He got the worst of that interaction.
Speaker 1: I imagine.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Lastly, you have some politicians in my home state of Kentucky causing some Trump kind of ripples. Number one is Thomas Massey is not Trump's favorite. Every time he runs against eighty percent of the vote. And then you have Ran Paul and then you have Mitch McConnell voting against the tariffs. You have the three most prominent politicians in Kentucky not on the So I always say that Trump trained whatsoever? Does this give you an idea that maybe you will run for Senate or Congress.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. I'm certainly not running against Thomas Massey. Thomas and I are buddies. I don't agree with everything Thomas does, but I agree with a lot of things Thomas does. And if there's one thing that I love about Thomas, it's how principled he is. And when he believes in something, he stands by it. And nine times out of ten I'll agree with him, and even on the tenth time, when I don't, I still respect how principled he is, because we certainly don't have enough of that principle left in Washington, d C. But I wasn't sure what you were talking about, Willie. I thought it was the pregnant congressmen were the ones that were blowing things up here in the last twenty four hours. I didn't think any of those guys were having babies or anything. So I was a little confused there. But nevertheless, you know, that's something. Thomas was the congressman that required everybody to come back in person and vote for those giant COVID and AID packages that put US trillions of dollars in debt and blew up the economy with all this inflation. You know, he was the one that said, this is what's going to happen if you do it, and everybody should come back to DC and vote on the record. So as sympathetic as I am to new mothers and new followers that want to be proxy voting, I certainly understand and respected the fight against proxy voting that Thomas initially undertook. As for Senator Paul, I really haven't followed his fight on the tear enough to know who's right and who's wrong there. All I know is that it would sure be nice if we could either have no tariffs like all the foreign countries do, or the same tariffs, the big tariffs, not the little tiny tariffs, but the big tariffs like the foreign countries. You know, Canada especially is imposing on the United States. I don't know why our exporters should be hit with and fifty percent tariffs and then the United States is not allowed to tariff back at all. I just don't get the fairness in that. So I don't know. We'll see how it shakes out. The President asked us to trust him. I know the stock market doesn't look like it's trusting him. But nevertheless, that just presents buying opportunities. Willie. You know, every time I see Tesla stop drops drops some more. I think maybe now is the time I'll finally invest in Tesla. But these days, the S and P five hundred down, that's great time. It's really tough to beef up the four oh one k's and any retirement savings because now when you can buy a discount, and when this all does come around, because it always does come around, the stock market never stays down forever. When it does come back around, everybody that's got money that they're putting in now we'll be making money hand over fist.
Speaker 1: The only ones he get hurt on a roller coaster are the ones that jump off.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Boone County Sheriff. Tell me about the new Boone County Sheriff, Well.
Speaker 2: The new Boone County Sheriff, effected April fifteenth, is going to be a fellow by the name of I'm sorry, Less Hill, Sorry, replacing Sheriff Helming. Mike Helmiing, who's been the sheriff in Boone County for thirty plus years, done an absolutely fantastic job. Oversaw the combination of the Sheriff's department and the Boone County Police Department. They used to have separate police and sheriff's departments in Boone County like we do here in Kenton, but they combined it out there in Boone County, and the police department merged into the Sheriff's office. And I don't know that it ever would have gone nearly as well as it did if it weren't Mike Helming in command. And so the hats off to Sheriff Hellming, and thank you for all his years of service. He's done a fantastic job. But Gary Moore, the Bon County Judge executive, just announced a couple days ago that he's appointing Sheriff helmers right hand man is chief Deputy and good friend Less Hill to go from the number two man to the number one man. And congratulations to Less, who will be the first new Boom County sheriff in decades. And I know that there's no more qualified person for the job than Sheriff helmc's right hand man. So two good men. Best wishes to Sheriff Hellmg and his retirement, and best of luck to Less as he takes over a very fine law enforcement agent.
Speaker 1: All Rob Sanders, Isaai Sanders for Kentucky Red and white buckets everywhere. It's the future of politics. But once again, good luck with mister Timothy Delahanty. Beat the crap out of him and send him to El Salvador. And Rob Sanders once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. And you're a great American. Thank you, Rob.
Speaker 2: Thanks Willie and go Red.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course score some runs might be good. Let's continue with more and by the way, the Reds. Last time the red went back to back at home losing one to nothing in two games was nineteen oh seven, during the presidency of Teddy Roosevelt. It's been a while. Hopefully the nineteen scoreless industreak ends tonight in Milwaukee on news radio seven hundred WLW.