Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Games Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about a big update launching early for Nintendo and communicating with sea creatures in the return of a classic. It's gonna be a good one because we have jan at Choa on the show. Jan how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to flip and do tricks for fish small fish, jump through hula hoops and do the cool thing where you're like you're clapping and you're going back and skating.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, or or or or seals. Right, okay, but you're not I know what you mean. I know what you mean. E e yes, yeah, absolutely. We'll explain all that here in a second. But if you're a Star Trek four fan, you already know what to expect, everybody.
Speaker 3: So just hang in.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was how I humpback whales, But don't worry about it. How you doing?
Speaker 2: I think still at a good seven? A good seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh okay, listen, if we dial in this year at a seven, I wouldn't trade that.
Speaker 3: I would take that in an instant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not at all. I was the thing that no one ever tells you grub about having a short dog is their tummies will just constantly get wet and ms. It's a little dryer now here in the Bay Area. Somehow this little dog's tummy just gets wet whenever we go out on a walk. I'm just curious. It's to like, how how is this happening? Why why do you constantly need a towel on your tummy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So yeah, like one of them like truffle pigs, like or those like wires you use that to find water or whatever. It's like one of them dogs. They just have the magic power to find wetness wherever it is. My my cat is bad. It has a drinking problem. H He goes in to get to the fountain with a little fountain for the catch. It's like running water and he just puts his whole head or sheet as it's.
Speaker 3: The girl puts her whole.
Speaker 1: Head under the water and every day, basically the whole day or head is just wet, just constantly. Hand say, okay, I mean she knows she didn't goes and like licks the water like she's supposed to, but she just likes having a wet head, it's it's a weird cat. I like it.
Speaker 2: I seen people drink things weird, so I'm not gonna blame it on the pets. Yeah, I think it's just drinking things.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I try to drink things weird every once in a while, just you know, put the straw in, put your finger on the end of the straw, take the straw out.
Speaker 3: Drink the water out of the straw.
Speaker 1: Still do that, Yeah, exactly, all right. We should explain ourselves. We're a giant Bomb. We're independent games media. We're out here on our own, but with you at our backs. By going to giant bomb dot com slash join, we can continue to do the cool stuff that we get to do here. We appreciate everyone who has come through and done exactly that. It enables us, it empowers us, and it empowers you because you have a cool home base now on the internet where you can go hang out on the forums, find cool stuff on the site, and find reviews. I mean, we've been working like crazy, but Chuck especially getting everything up and running over there. So there's like user lists and user reviews and all these things. You could do that on giant bomb dot com. And you can take advantage all of that by going to giant bomb dot com slash join and become a premium member. Also that gets you, hey, I started up grub Snacks Premium new version of grub Snacks, hanging out answering questions from people. There's a premium forum on in the message boards as well where you can ask a question and I will try to address most of those. There's also a discord channel that I'll take questions from as well. But yeah, that episode went up yesterday. There should be one a week going forward from now on. Everybody, so looking forward to all of that. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I, Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. Got You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into. So let's start the morning mess with multiple Echo the Dolphin games officially in development. Somebody wake up, Mike Manati. This is from Salamano Akamatsu, starting off with a quote. Here, several new Echo the Dolphin products and games are officially in development. Developer A and R Itelier announced an Rlier is a studio founded in half Moon Bay, California by veteran game developers, including the original of the creators of Echo the Dolphin that includes Ed ann Ziada Annunziata. I think it's how you say it.
Speaker 3: Who was the Yeah.
Speaker 1: The chief creative officer at A and R previously announced plans to release remastered versions of the Genesis games Echo the Dolphin and Echo the Tides of Time, as well as develop a third Echo the Dolphin game. So that seems to be the plan here is, let's remaster these old Genesis games and then also make a whole new two D game. I'm assuing because they're same, third, because there was some other Echo the Dolphin games later, I don't. I guess we'll have to see exactly what this all ends.
Speaker 3: Up looking like.
Speaker 1: But okay, cool, I mean, first of all, why not the way Sega's been operating where they're like, hey, we will We're gonna remake a bunch of our stuff. We're gonna make new entries in Crazy Taxi and all these other like Shanobi, all this other stuff, and then the stuff that they don't do well, they've worked with partners to get like Streets of Rage four made and that went really well. So Sega just seems to have those stuff kind of like in a position where they can easily just hand stuff off to someone who does want to do something with it. So why not do that with Echo the Dolphin. My question, do you jen is does Echo the Dolphin play in twenty twenty six and beyond.
Speaker 2: Uh, well grub everything old is new again, And I can't say that there's a lot of competition in terms of dolphin, let alone aquatic games. So for sheer novelty's sake and nostalgia, I feel like this could do well. And you mentioned it at the beginning of this story, but the Shanobi game really popped off. A lot of us really liked it. It wound up on our top ten of the year. So I definitely see a world where an Echo the Dolphin game, Whether it's a remaker, A brand new game could be absolutely banging. It's interesting that it's in half Moon Bay because that's like twenty minutes away from me. Let me in, Let me, let let me let me. I want to see the dolphins. I want to see the Yeah, the dolphins.
Speaker 3: Show us the dolphins.
Speaker 1: I was trying to like remember, like what other dolphin games have I played Dolphin Olympics too, the flash game is that? Is that still mine? Anybody? I want to know. I was able to get like that my dolphin to like Pluto or whatever, get it way onto outer space.
Speaker 3: That was good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hey, if this is like a bigger game, I guess you know it's a two D versus three D. If it's a big three D game, people in chat say, man Eater, but with Echo the Dolphin, Like clearly not exactly that, but they made that like a fun swimming around upgrading your your Shark game. You could probably do something similar with Echo here. I would like it to be a three D Metroidvania with the dolphin underwater.
Speaker 3: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: I think that would be really fun to get upgrades through your Dolphin and that unlocks ocean doors or something I don't know, temples under under the water. I think that'd be fun. You just do an.
Speaker 2: At a certain tone that it resonates that it moves rocks.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah you war foos row dolphin there, Yeah, there you go. Yeah ah ah, there is. Of course, there was a time when I thought this was happening before yuh yeah, me and I heard some chittering noises from Sega that they were teasing something with and we put that under well, we put it. We pretended to put it underwater by slowing it down in premiere and playing it on our podcast. We're like, well that clearly those are dolphins sounds. And that turned out to be Hyenas, which is that game that never came out and Sega canceled.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I distinctly remember when you brought up that recording on an episode of Game As Mornings from a while back now. And this just proves how patient and polite Lucy James is, because she politely was like, uh huh okay, yeah, sure, okay, yeah, I go to the dolphin.
Speaker 1: Uh It's like, okay, well, thank you for humoring me, Lucy. I think that we made this happen, though. I think they saw that clip and the lad look clearly the children crave Echo, and well here we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no word yet on win for any of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Grub My pitch for an Echo the Dolphin game in addition to a remake is just make a space game but underwater. I want to do barrel rolls, surf and shoot echo sonar beams.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a star Fox sixty four. But Echo the Dolphin is not a bad idea that could go. There, you go, cut the check sega, we're over here. Well we'll see at some point. I don't know. I wonder if they plan to show up anywhere like a GDC or Summer game fest with anything.
Speaker 3: We'll have to wait and see. But it's like, I don't I don't know. They could also.
Speaker 2: I know that this is tied to an r aelier, but just give some assets over to the RGG guys, make them. Let them make a Yakuza Echo the Dolphin game.
Speaker 3: At least have them put Echo in a Yaku's game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right, there should be a whole dolphin subplot in one of those games.
Speaker 2: Why was there not an Echo the Dolphin summon in Yakuza Like a dragon in Hawaii?
Speaker 1: There should be there should be a new one that what they should do is basically a one to one retelling of Acevantera Pet Detective. Make that a like a thing, and then they just fix all the problematic stuff. So we get our generation, our generations as if it's not my generation, our generation's acepinter a Pet Detective without the bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right.
Speaker 1: The Disney Afternoon Collection seems to be coming to Nintendo Switch to and Switch. This is from Nintendo Everything. The Disney Afternoon Collection appears to be coming to Nintendo Switch to and Switch one loose. New listings for the game have just appeared on the ESRB website. Interestingly, Atari appears to be publishing. Captom originally released the Disney Afternoon Collection in partnership with Digital Eclipse in twenty seventeen. Fans were disappointed with the package, or that that the package never came to Nintendo Switch, but it looks like that's finally being rectified yeah again with Atari handling the publishing on this. For the Switch version, the collection always included Chipindale Rescue Rangers. Chippindale Rescue Rangers Too, which is a really Latens game that's surprisingly very good Ducktails, Ducktails Too, Darkwing Duck and Tailspin.
Speaker 3: All those are.
Speaker 1: Actually pretty goods. They're all Capcom games. They're like really solid. Let's see here, they have like stuff like some of the new features got added, like a boss rush mode and stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cool that this is finally happening.
Speaker 1: Interesting that, like Atari are the ones making it happen kind of a wonder. It's like, oh, I wonder how that went down, Like they just noticed this and we're like, hey, do you want us to come handle that for you? Or Disney sought them out? It's or I guess Capcom was probably the one that published it originally Capcom and or Disney. Yeah, did they seek out help and Atari's handling that? I mean, Atari probably does have a lot of specific experience and stuff like this now after like making like releasing retro games their whole thing by like with like purchasing night Dive and all that stuff. So yeah, I wonder if this is a new side of that business for them. And at the very least, it's nice to see this game that we were kind of always hoping would come to the Switch finally come to the Switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't say that I ever checked out these games grub because I think playing Lion King on the Genesis really traumatized me because of how difficult it was for a child to play that. I wound up not checking any other additional Disney games out around that generation. So you know, I'm always down for some Chip and Dale. Yes, Ducktails, I'd love to hear a midi or very garbled up version of that theme theme song. It should be a banger. And also I think the world needs more or dark Wing Duck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't gotten more dark Wing Duck. Did we? And I didn't notice? I suppose I know that.
Speaker 2: We had a new Duck Tails seat cartoon. I swear we did because like David Tennant was Scrooge right, and we had the Chippendale's movie right that came out recently. But yeah, nothing nothing with dark Wing Duck.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Yeah, we should get more dark Wing Duck that and again I'm surprised that hasn't happened that and like Gargoyles should also return. People pointed out like, oh yeah, Digital Eclipse, which handled this is now also Atari.
Speaker 3: So that's how that went down. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: I was like getting my hopes of like man Atari is just out there, like making these deals happen.
Speaker 3: Maybe they can finally get.
Speaker 1: Me Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the Switch, which somehow still hasn't happened. It probably still won't happen, though, all right, this is its great to see. I think, you know, between this and there was that like really lightweight metrode Vania, Mickey Mouse Game, Mickey Illusion, Illusion Island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, neat, that took.
Speaker 1: A while to get from Switch to the other consoles, but that happened, and it was like, I wonder if they're going to go the other way with this that finally did happen. I don't know, just these like Mickey Mouse games and like their cartoon adaptation games. I kind of was wondering if they would do even more after Illusion Island. Doesn't seem like that's necessarily going, like it's not a gold rush at the very least, but they should probably just keep plugging away at that stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, one hundred percent. I think Illusion Island was it's high it had an exclusive deal to be on the Switch for a while, and I think that might have hampered its performance initially yes, you know, if that was able to come out on all platforms. I know that the switch is often targeted as like, oh, this is a family console, this is a kid console.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it would have just been easier for some people to just play on a PlayStation or an Xbox in the living room. Yep, we we should have a Batman style dark Wing Duck game, crub, I can't get over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there should be a There should be an Arkham dark Wing duck or just a dark Wing duck that place exactly like the Batman for nes. But like so, just like a modern retro game or something like that. I would love that as well.
Speaker 2: Give me bonkers. Does anyone remember Bonkers out there?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I remember bonkers? Is that with a Z?
Speaker 2: I don't bonkers? I don't remember if it was a Z. But I think that's where I first learned about the word marsupial.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, there was a video game called Marsupialami or something like that that I was like, and I took me forever to decode that it was trying to say marsupial and the character was a marsupial. But I was very stupid and couldn't understand it all right, let's see here. Going on to the next story, Nintendo's the share price drops are dropped to thirty three percent in the last five months in Japan. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC. As noted by game Spark, Nintendo's share price dropped to nine hundred and fifty en, which is about sixty two dollars and seventy cents on Tuesday, the first time the price has dropped below ten thousand end since April twenty twenty five. Back in August twenty twenty five, the share price reached a high point of fourteen thousand, seven hundred and ninety five yen, and that's about ninety three dollars, the highest share price ever recorded for the company, but has dropped notably since then. It's worth pointing out August kind of right there, that first batch of switch twos launching, and the kind of the first report from Nintendo about how well the system was doing in that moment. While the reasons for the company's rise and fall in share price can only ever be speculated, it appears likely that the record high in August twenty twenty five was due to the switch to. The subsequent dropped then can likely be attributed to such factors as a slowing of switch to sales over Christmas, albeit still comfortably outselling its predecessor at this stage, and a lack of Killer app six months into the consul's life. I know that Circin Toto, friend of the site, he had a blog post about this, or that he speculated those two points that there is there was a bit of a slow down during the holiday season, or at the very least, there was some sales on the switch to at retailers in the United States and Europe, and investors are like, what's going on there that shouldn't happen. And then also there is, you know, there's the lack of big marquee first party titles, specifically Mario and Zelda. I think I would throw in like Smash Brothers and Animal Crossing and a few others into that, but Mario and Zelda seemed to be the ones that the investors are asking about. And then finally, the third thing that Cercin Toto mentioned that was not mentioned in the story yet is component prices. The everyone's worried to price increases. So those three factors seem to be dragging Nintendo's share price back down. If you look at it, there's a chart out there. This is a sharp decline after a really sharp increase in price. So it kind of feels like a little bit of a correction and that Nintendo will have to like sort of chip away at if it wants to stock price to go back up by making big games and making big game announcements.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of.
Speaker 1: That feels like where we're at right where the next time we hear from Nintendo, like that next Nintendo Direct is probably going to have a big twenty twenty six game in it.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel. Do you share that?
Speaker 2: I feel like it has to grub. I don't think they can get away with not teasing something at least for twenty twenty six, whatever that winds up being. But then again, I feel like it's impossible to really predict Nintendo's moves when it comes to anything predictable or pattern wise, just because they just operate at their own frequency. It seems like a no brainer that we should expect a new three D Mario game, especially with the release of the Mario Galaxy movie this year, But who knows. They could perhaps be going back to the well and teasing kid Iicris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the right.
Speaker 1: They could have any number of like lower profile games in an Nintendo Direct and they're just not ready for Mario. You know, we talk about Donkey Kung Binanza just came and it'd be hard for them to have a new game. Yeah, that's that's still true. Regardless of their need to have a title release like that to address these issues, they just might not be ready for it. That's the biggest reason I think those things have not happened up to this point. Of course, a news Zelda, it's not ready. They just had Tears of the Kingdom a couple of years ago. So yeah, we just might be stuck in linear time here. And in the meantime, the Switch two is gonna probably continue to sell just fun. The other side of this is that price issue components really are at in a rough spot. I know that Daniel Ahmad kind of had an analysis of this, pointing out that Nintendo was already riding the line of profitability on hardware, kind of maxing out their margins a little bit because of the tariffs, because of component prices, and now we're past that and component prices are going up even more specifically as always, as we said on every episode of this show for the last month, RAM prices memory store or memory and at this point storage as well are both seeing huge increases in prices, and Nintendo's like, hey, we have looked into this. We're always looking to procure stuff at you know, in the most affordable way. But people believe they might be running out of road, and Nintendo doesn't like to take a loss on hardware. I think that if they're like worried about all this stuff, though, they probably might have to because raising I think raising the price might be worse in public perception and in the perception of their investors then eating the costs and maybe losing a little money per console and not having as big of a number in your financial report. I just think that that raising the price is a more noticeable flag to everybody. But I don't know, Maybe that's me doing some copium and hoping that this price won't go up. What do you think now?
Speaker 2: I think I'm with you, Grub because I feel like, ultimately, overall, when PlayStation has had to announce a price increase as well as Xbox, public perception has like kind of plummeted. But then again, we did see the PlayStation have like a boost in sales when there was a sale on the PlayStation over right kind of back.
Speaker 1: Down to the original price even Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if Nintendo wants to do that level of calculus to kind of like, Okay, we'll raise the price now in expectations to low back to its launch price during the summer or during like a big sale. My question in terms of like big tent pole release grub is, I know that Splatoon has a gigantic audience, but is it big enough to be considered one of like Nintendo's pillars if they were to make a new Splatoon game.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I mean they're like, it's there's tiers of pillars for Nintendo, and it's it's you know, really Smash Brothers and Zelda and Pokemon at the top and a few others Mario and it's I would say that Splatoon is just one step down. Now. The thing that Splatoon would have going for it is it has always delivered in Japan. The other thing there is Nintendo's not having any problems in Japan. The switch to has not missed a beat there, everywhere else, it's like, oh maybe it had it's stumbled through the holidays a little bit, and you're a and the United States.
Speaker 3: It did not have that problem in Japan. It is like just chugging along.
Speaker 1: At an equivalent or faster rate than the Switch one. Now, that does not mean that they'll make a decision on Splatoon based on that. Splatoon Raiders is coming, I just don't. We just don't know what that is, at least does anyone know what that is? And they haven't talked about it. I think that'll be maybe be a big part of the next Nintendo Direct. And either way, having a new Splatoon thing will help them, especially in their home territory. But that game is done really well globally, so yeah, it's in that next tier. It's not the Mario or Zelda though that the investors would pop up for. That's the stuff like and at this point with that Mario movie coming, especially if a new three D Mario gets announced, which is you know, one of the many rumors about the next Nintendo Direct is a three D Mario. Whitt Nintendo Direct doesn't have that rumor at this point, but if that happened, I think that would directly address, like things would change instantly, like we would see this doc price probably rebound a good a fair amount, although that's always me going in a logical, asane, rational world, and investors are never those things. So what I know, right, surprise, And it's always frustrating to be like, oh, that thing happened, or though that company just announced their earnings and look at that they beat expectations. Let's go check. Oh it's it's down four percent. Well, oh, you guys were expecting some It's crazy. It's always so weird to try to understand how investors are thinking, because they're usually not.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, we're going to continue with Nintendo news. After a break, we're going to talk about oh, surprise or an update launched early. We'll get to that after these messages. If you want to skip out on this, you go to gimebomb dot com slash join become a premium member. There you can find ad free versions of the audio show and ad free versions of the video show.
Speaker 3: We will be right back.
Speaker 1: It's Game mess Mornings, Janichoa, Jeff gru We are continuing right along here with the Animal Crossing New Horizons three point zero update is out early. This is from Devin McClure at Polygon. The three point update for Animal Crossing New Horizons has released earlier than expected for most users and is available for download now. However, the Nintendo Switch to upgrade, which is separate costs money, and its associated update are still locked behind the release date of January fifteenth. So this is the free update that's happening before both the Switch one and the Switch to switch. Do I have extra content that is likely still going to launch probably tonight. I'm guessing this is only a little bit early. But yeah, I earlier this week I forgot that this was even happening, and then in the last couple of days, like yesterday, really it's like, oh yeah, later this week that new animal crossing stuff is going to pop off. That's why I've seen so many like Animal Crossing creators online, like getting their towns ready, cleaning them up, making sure that they're ready for this stuff. I don't know jan how I'm feeling about this. I want to go back to Animal Crossing. I do not want to start a new town, but I also do not want to face down all of those villagers telling me how sad they were that I wasn't there for one hundred and seventy five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part seems very intimidating. Grub this was I think I just learned about this this week from you, and I'm curious if, like the casual audience out there is aware that a big animal crossing update is coming. Like other friends in the industry, I see them prepping their islands as well. But for like the I guess regular person out there that may have picked up animal Crossing and a switch during the pandemic, is this news being surfaced to them outside of the Nintendo app, because this, you know, could be another significant wave for animal crossing if Nintendo alignes plays their cards right.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I don't know. I would guess that the people that consider themselves animal crossing people, which there are a lot of, they probably know people right, barely people, But You're right, there is a huge part of that of that player base that is just normal people who played Animal Crossing and have probably put it down and haven't thought about.
Speaker 3: It too much.
Speaker 1: Are they aware? I really don't know. I wonder how Nintendo would even think about communicating that to them. It is it on Instagram? Do they? They probably do that on Instagram or whatever. I have no idea, at the very least, like I do. I do think this could be a small, little inflection point for this game.
Speaker 3: Again, I hope really though.
Speaker 1: It's like, Okay, we get this, it's fun, it's great, let's go back place them at new horizons. And then in a few months we get like word from Nintendo and by the way, Animal the next Animal Crossing four switch to is in the works and it's coming out in like twenty twenty seven or something like that. I'm ready for the new one. It's great, this is getting an update, but it's it is one of the weirdest franchises for Nintendo to do the thing of hey, it's been six years, let's go back and again. It's specifically about that that going back to your town comes with a lot of emotional baggage. So I like, had they been updating this thing regularly this whole time, that's one thing, sure, But to do nothing for six years, which I never had a problem with. There's always people being like, hey, why'd you just let this game languish? And so well, they made a game, and they put a price on it, and they sold it to you and you played it, and okay, what's the problem.
Speaker 3: I don't see it.
Speaker 1: But for them to then shift from that back to and now here's some new content, It's such a weird game to.
Speaker 3: Do that with.
Speaker 2: It's so bizarre because I've seen people in chatter are echoing the sentiment. But a lot of folks have moved on from Animal Crossing new horizons. I actually see a lot of my friends that were super into Animal Crossing have now actually picked up Hello Kitty's Island. Yeah, okay, like now that it's off of iOS and now out on other platforms, right, And you know, san Rio is an ip that a lot of people are familiar with. People love Hello Kitty. She's only five apples tall, but you have all the other hooligans from that universe, and that has that familiarity. I've seen friends go flock to that, And I don't know, maybe it's just how my algorithm on social media is configured or whatever, but I've seen a lot of like casual cozy gamers talk about Hello Kitty.
Speaker 1: I Heiland Adventure. I know Alex on the recent podcast was saying that his girlfriend put it down and has now moved on too. Fantasy Life I and does not need this game anymore. So, oh yeah, there are a lot of alternatives. I bet this was a gateway to like start You Valley for a lot of people. In that game has been getting constant updates for forever. It's like, you know, what is that that just recently became the best reviewed game on Steam, finally beating Portal two or whatever, And it's like, okay, yeah, that thing is a beast into itself. And even Nintendo doesn't know how to do that sort of thing of keeping the game relevant like that for years and years with updates. So yeah, again, I just think this is a weird one to do this with. I kind of wish they just went I really wish they would have just made a new game. All that said, though, I like Animal Crossing. I could see myself spending some time the spring playing through this game and catching some fish and filling out the museum some more.
Speaker 3: But we'll see Bobby Kottick.
Speaker 1: Oh it's Bobby Cottic time. Unfortunately, we thought we were done with him because he was out of this industry.
Speaker 3: He has inserted himself.
Speaker 1: He's alleging the lawsuit against Microsoft's Activision acquisition was secretly aimed at helping Embracer Group. This is some Chris Scully and of Vicci. Former Activision CEO Bobby Kottick has alleged that an ongoing lawsuit objecting to objecting to Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard was secretly designed to help rival publisher Embracer Group.
Speaker 3: As reported by Game.
Speaker 1: File, Steven Tatilo's thing worth getting if you guys have never read that before, he does great work over there. The lawsuit was filed back in twenty twenty two by a Swedish pension fund called Sujunde ap Fonden Jude I don't know. I'm not gonna how to say that, also known as AP seven, though, and alleged that Kotik rushed the sale of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft so he could avoid the consequences of the sexual misconduct claims at the time. In a recently filed answer to the lawsuit, Kotick and his lawyers not only denied that claim, but has made a counterclaim that AP seven had ulterior motives in filing the suit, including to exert collateral harm on Activision and to help Embracer. Basically, as his reasoning there is one of the people on the board of AP seven was also like an executive of sorts at Embracer. But that is the only thing that really he has, because I mean he's saying like, by doing this activision, Blizzard's reputation would be tarnished. And then people in like California, when faced with like, hey, where am I gonna go work? Instead of going to work on call of duty, they'll go work at Embracer group. Jan tell me that sounds insane, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's coming. Any thing coming out of that man's mouth is insane. But this one.
Speaker 1: Why are all the billionaires so dumb?
Speaker 3: Insane?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If I had an obscene amount of money, I think I would just shut up.
Speaker 1: I think if you don't shut up, it's this clear sign of something wrong with the big old brain up there. If you get that much money, you could just shut up and go away, and if you don't, there's something wrong.
Speaker 2: He got the bag and then some he had like four golden parachutes grub to just peace out, never hear from him again. And also like he can just skirt past all these allegations that he's had skirt, but this man can't shut.
Speaker 1: The fuck up. It's uh, I mean, he's responding to this this thing. I guess said. This is probably his lawyer's strategy or something. It sounds real dumb. He didn't stop there, though he did. At least at the very least, This one's not as bad because he's just kind of dunking on Microsoft. He's like, basically, yeah, outrate it. Bobby Kottick alleges a lawsuit against Microsoft. That's the last one.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Bobby Kottik claims Activision call of duty and consoles are doing so poorly it proves he was right to sell Activision Blizzard to Microsoft for sixty nine billion dollars, basically saying I dumped that shit while it was high and now it ain't worth nothing and it's and Microsoft's caught holding the bag. It's a crazy thing to say, like, even if it's all true, which kind of looks like it is a little bit, it's a crazy thing to say, to be like, Yeah, I pulled one over on those fucking suckers over there, and I got my money. Former Activision boss Bobby Kottak has made a number of claims about the state of his former company, A Kottak, who left Activision Blizzard at the end of twenty twenty three, having sold the company to Xbox Maker for sixty nine billion dollars, is battling investors who claim you rigged the sale to keep his job in four hundred million dollars in change of control benefits and to insulate himself from claims he knew about widespread sexual harassment at Activision. Kodak has denied any wrongdoing. I don't believe you, Bobby. I don't believe you. I think you knew about all that shit. And that's why. One of the reasons you're so weird. It's because you're, like, I'm a normal guy, and you don't seem like it. You were covering this stuff up. That's my opinion though. But yes, he goes on to sort of ramble about this stuff and says, yeah, I dump this onto Microsoft, and Microsoft's got to be going around like, oh my god, we got to fix this call of duty thing. So this guy will shut up forever.
Speaker 2: Like he's he's not wrong, but also I feel like call of duty was heading this direction because of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, definitely, Like yeah, I think that's yeah, like he that's basically also what he's saying, Jane, You're right, like I did, I said I had I sold them a lemon, I sold them something that was careening off the road, and I got paid. So clearly I'm the winner here. So well, you you kind of set this whole thing up for failure or you could not fix it, and instead of taking into responsibility for the situation you created and then profited from, you just profited from it. And of course he thinks that's him just that winning, because that's the game, getting as much money as possible as the game to these people. And if he'd got the most money, clearly he was right. That's what defines right. So of course he's bragging about it. That's where we I mean, of course, that's where we are as a society right now, at least in the United States.
Speaker 2: It sucks. He's absolutely insane that.
Speaker 3: Just shut up, Just shut up, yeah.
Speaker 2: And grub like, you know, I'm not a legal person at all, but like I feel like maybe you shouldn't be saying as much in case something backfires or other litigation gets brought up. So Bobby, I don't know, shut up.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, Microsoft could assume him for not providing like, for oh, you knew this thing wasn't worth as much as you said? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you misrepresent the value of the thing that we spent sixty nine billion dollars on? Yeah? Why is he out there talking? Yeah? Mostly shut up for your own sake, But shut up so we do not have to talk about you ever again. If it really wanted to believe in that world.
Speaker 2: If this leads to mutually assured destruct for Microsoft and Bobby Cottick, I'll warm up the blackcorn exactly.
Speaker 1: Let him fight, and yeah, we'll see who wins. It won't it won't be any of us, but hopefully it'll be neither of them as well. Yeah. Call of duty. One of the things that to come out of this is he claims call of duty for this year is down sixty percent compared to last year. That's a pretty big decline. Now, Battlefield six is the biggest reason for that. It does seem like Battlefield six made like a huge dent. That is another thing he said where it's like, look, this proves that competition in the first person space is real. So we were never in a monopoly position. And it's like, oh, my god, please just take your stupid money and go home. But yeah, Mike, Mike, Call of Duty return next year to form Or is this actually the beginning of consistent declines going forward. I really don't know at this point.
Speaker 2: I don't know either, grub and I feel for the developers over there that are probably just being grinded into dust because of stupid, boneheaded decisions from people up top and or inclusions. We got an email to the BombCast, I think during the break where someone got disconnected from the Black Ops seven campaign for being idle even though it is a single player campaign, but you have to be online. There are also multiple, so many other multiple factors, Bobby, that factor into Black Ops seven performing poorly outside of your direct competition, You fucking jackass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I guess if I had to put money on it, I would guess that Call of Duty bounces back yet again. It's done it every time so far. Whether it bounces back to new heights ever, maybe not, but at the very least kind of equivalent heights, I would imagine that. And that's a good podcast with us Kelsey Brothers. All right, Prince of Persia, The Sands of Time remake rated by ESRB. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor. While we've known for a while that Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time remake was aiming for a release relatively soon, as you be self apparently still wants it out this financial year, the hope seemed to dwindled day by day without any proper gameplay shown or anything akin to it.
Speaker 3: Fans were beginning to lose hope.
Speaker 1: Fans were a specifically losing hope jam because the word was excuse me, this game could launch anytime in January and at this point, unless it's a shadow drop, which I suppose it could be, but don't think it will be. It sounds like, well, maybe they'll announce it at some point in the next couple of weeks and then it launches before the end of the fiscal so before the end of March. But I got a tea for team from the SRB website. As always, we say, like, okay, something get being rated by the ESRB, which is still done by these companies putting together a reel of all the most you know, violent and sexualized moments and drug use all this stuff into a video file and send it over to the SRB, but that has to be done when the game is content complete. Usually these things get rated about six weeks out on average from their release date. That shifts, that's not always consistent, but about six weeks and on the other side of it, like, okay, well, the end of March is justin a you know, a few weeks after that, maybe another six yeah, another four or five weeks after that, so I think we could probably expect to see this thing sometime between six to ten weeks from now, and I'm ready for I love the sense of time, and it sounds like they are going to make some really smart updates to this game, including making the princess that you're working with more capable on our own so you could just focus doing the fun prints stuff. It's like, oh, yeah, that sounds great, So I'm looking forward to this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too. Grub I can't help but have not the strongest belief in ub Soft, just because it's ub Soft, and I don't know, Prince of Persia just seems like one of those slam dunk ips, especially after Lost Crown from two years ago was our game of the year. I would love more Prince of Persia. There you know, Blinks of Time Sweeper never did it for me, Greb this was my favorite time rewind game.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, this was a great time rewind game. Yeah there's this. There's also yeah, that Assassin Screed four remake that you'd be so well, remake or remaster or something that Ubi Selft apparently is going to have very soon as well. Does that also come before the end of the fiscal And why haven't they talked about these games? Really are? Did Assassin Screed four pop up at the Game Awards? There was a lot of stuff there. I kind of can't remember now, I don't remember. I feel like it would have been a big deal if it did. Okay, yeah, that would exactly I don't remember it. Chet's saying no, okay, So yeah they got to talk about either of these things. Uh, you're right, Ubisoft a weird company, kind of a complete mess. Uh. When we are talking about them on this show, it is usually what's going on with the one of these games, or there are more cost cutting, job cutting, studio closures happening at any of those studios. They have nothing to do with Far Cry, Ghosts Recon or Assassin's Creed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the folks are mentioning that this ESRB rating is front maybe from a couple of years ago, and is not may not be for this current Okay, the remaster.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, so updated information. Yeah so this Startain game reactor doesn't say that. But okay, if people are just finding this old one and then assuming, then that would completely reset everything. Now, Ubisoft does still seem like they want to get out before the end of the fiscal and the rumors I was hearing late last year was something would happen in January. Uh, but we're in January. It's getting kind of late already, or halfway through the month. We haven't heard anything.
Speaker 2: Or grub This could be some viral marketing with time travel involved.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it. Yeah, I don't like if it's Yeves Gimo have it holding a knife and submitting things in the past. That's upsetting. Actually, oh god.
Speaker 3: Alright, let's see here.
Speaker 1: Season two of Battlefield six has been delayed so it can be further polished and refined. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC. Battlefield Studios is confirmed that the upcoming second season of Battlefield six has been delayed by around a month. Season one was set to end on January twentieth, but has now been confirmed that it will be extended by four weeks until February seventeenth, at which point season two will finally begin, and an update posted on the game's official website, the team explained that season two wasn't quite ready to launch at an acceptable standard, so it was being held back until it was ready. During our ongoing development, We've continued to review community community feed and in order to keep our promise, determined that our best path forward is to extend season one and give our extra time to further polish and refine Season two. The team also added that because the game's launch included a commitment to providing monthly content wrench updates for our players, it would be adding an extension update to season one to ensure that it has new content during its extended periods, So they're not going to miss out on that promise, at least not yet. Yeah, Battlefield six already feels like it's lost its way a little bit. The sort of word from the community is they want more stuff, and they want especially new maps, and they're not It doesn't seem like they're ready to deliver that and even if they do, is that even going to be enough?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It feels like the sentiment on Battlefield six has cooled dramatically since it released, where it was at a very high point. I don't know these games that are live service games at this point, jan they can run hot and cold. I think we've seen it happen over and over again where it's like, oh, the community loves that game, now they hate it, now they love it, now they're kind of bored with it, and now they've come back. I'm thinking of Destiny too, but it's happened to a lot of games. Is that going to be the relationship between game and players for Battlefield six? Do you think? I? Yes, Greb.
Speaker 2: But I also feel like a part of that is on EA for kind of like fumbling the bag and kind of not having like a clear roadmap ahead of them, especially, and I feel like the defined path for updates and keeping players invested is so crucial when all these other games that you were competing with, and I'm talking about like your Warzone, your Fortnite, your PUBG specifically the Fortnite of it all, but also you will have something be a runaway success like in Arc Raiders, and that will definitely fluts around with your player base and pull them away from you. Or you could have something random pop up like Held two being a gigantic phenomenon for like a definite what was it maybe like two three months and that flets is around with your player base. But you also have other games like Overwatch two is picking Steam picking up Steam again. Marvel Rivals has had a constant player base just going on in the background, along with Valorant counter Strike. So if you have the success of Battlefield six and you managed to eat Call of Duty's lunch, you need to be prepared to keep keep the slap, keep the food coming to those people eat eaten at the table.
Speaker 1: M hmm, absolutely. Uh let me ask you a question, well, pop quiz chat hold off on helping him, uh, because I would. I had to look it up. Do you remember the name of the free to play battlefield battle Royal that launched on October twenty eighth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: What that's not real?
Speaker 3: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: A battle Field Ageddon.
Speaker 1: Pretty close? Battlefield red sec red sex fuck. This launched on October twenty eight five. It has fewer than ten thousand reviews on Steam. Red sec red Sec and it has mixed reviews. Except for the four hundred recent reviews, it's mostly negative. This thing, yes dead on arrival, and it just seems like this has nothing going on. Honestly, let me look it up real quick. I just want to see concurrent players for red Seck Battlefield Red Sec steam dB. Let's see if it has it there, Let's go there. Okay, I don't have the exact number, but yeah, it does not seem like a lot of people are playing this game. It's yeah, that was supposed to be the thing that would take them to one hundred million players if you remember that jan Yeah, that was the talking point and Battlefield six, the premium price game, launched and gave it this huge head start.
Speaker 3: It did outsell Call of Duty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like it's well on its way now it's capitalized on it with the free to play thing and that went nowhere, and now Battlefield six proper is having problems. Yeah, this is gonna be something they're gonna have to put a lot of effort into fixing.
Speaker 2: I question for the audience, and you, Greb, is arc graders still popping off? Is that still have a gigantic audience? I know it's probably waned since the initial release, but I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Uh yees, yes, it is that they just did their first season reset where the first season ended, so then everyone could like, do you want to reset your characters so you can go through and do all these missions again and do some new missions. And apparently a million people reset and and are now going back into the game.
Speaker 3: So that's that's doing. That seems to be.
Speaker 1: Pretty That indicates a pretty healthy player base there.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it's doing just fine.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and over two hundred thousand players on Steam right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, that ain't bad. That's nothing.
Speaker 1: Sees that that's incredibly huge. Anything over like twenty thousand is huge. That's ten times. Then we should circle back to arc Graders, specifically with Kayla. Yes, oh for sure, Okay, let's make that happen. Okay, last story here. Forts the Horizon six's release date may have been revealed early by an in game ad. I'm sorry this is the second last story, but this is from Chris Scullion at VEGC. The release date for Forts the Horizon six may have been revealed early by an alleged in game ad. The ad is saying May nineteenth with early access where you can play four days early on May fifteenth, and then they're gonna have a bunch of other other stuff. Yeah, this date's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's correct.
Speaker 1: This is this is right. So yeah, I guess that begs the question of, like, Okay, if this is coming May nineteenth, May fifteenth, if you have early early access, and then who knows when that game free game is coming. But the other big announced game that's gonna be part of that Xbox delivered direct is Playground Games, same studio, their Fable game. When does that come out? I'm gonna say sometime in like late summer, uh maybe maybe even like yeah, no, late summer because I think Halo is gonna Halo and Gears are going to be their holiday games, so I think they'll probably want to get that out before that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see forts Rise at six taking place in Japan. Any excitement from you a jan about that game, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is I just am not I have not been interested in anything coming out of Microsoft quite a while. And on top of you know, their current practices and Satinadella not being able to wipe his own ass without.
Speaker 1: AI YEP agents for ass wiping.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool. I hope that people that are excited for more for it to are excited for this. A driving game set in Japan could be very sick, could be very cool. The only thing this makes me want to do personally is just watch Tokyo Drift again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I uh man.
Speaker 1: The drifting is the thing where it's like, I want to see how they handle that. But you're right, I'll just watch Tokyo Drift, which is my religion. All right. Last story, games Workshop bans Ai from Creative Process.
Speaker 3: Let's see here. I have a story over.
Speaker 1: Here from the Times dot Com. The maker of waramb Or tabletop miniatures, which said profit beat expectations in a record first half, has a very cautious internal policy on the technology. Basically, they're saying that they're very cautious. They want to protect human creativity. I bet they also got a talking too from their lawyers, which seems to be a thing that is growing, who are saying that the company is concerned about data compliance, security and governance as AI tools become embedded in everyday devices. Basically, they're just they want to own the stuff that they're making, and they're not sure that they use a if they own the stuff they're making. I've said before there are conservative companies in Japan who have felt this way for a long time, and multiple ones. Many of these companies have blanket bans on using AI for making games. So I guess I'm a little surprised till that this is spreading to someone like the Game's Workshop. But this is also the kind of thing that that community wants to hear. They want to hear that, yes, make the stuff the way you've been making it. There's a reason we've been showing up. Despite hating you Games Workshop, despite like having a terrible relationship with you, we're still happy to buy your stuff because we like the stuff that you make, So don't mess that up. Does this spread it even further? Jan? I hope so right.
Speaker 2: I hope that this is the slow beginning of the sentiment of banning AI content, because Jesus Christ grib going onto any form of social media are just casually trying to just do whatever. There is just so much AI garbage, and it is unfortunate the folks that eat it up, and especially within our space here. Greb in games media and also video game development. It's just you know, get it out, please kick it to the curb with Bobby Kottick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the kind of thing where it's like you just say this and you're gonna get a little bit of bonus points if it's If it's actually true, So good.
Speaker 3: For games Workshop. I don't know, I'm one of there.
Speaker 1: I always wonder like is there more to the story where we find out what's really going on? But hopefully this is just the whole thing. All right, let's see here that does it for the headlines. We have the poll question from Monday. We'll get that up here and respond to that. Let me get it, let me go, We'll take a look at it right here, YouTube dot com slash at giant bomb. If you go to posts, you can see the pole question each and every time we post. One. Most one was what is your childhood final Fantasy game? I gave you the options of Final Fantasy six, Final Fantasy seven, and Final Fantasy thirteen, as.
Speaker 3: Well as other.
Speaker 1: The most popular one was Final Fantasy seven with forty three percent, then other and Jane, I'm sure we got a bunch of like I'm guessing a lot of Final Fantasy tens. I wouldn't be surprised. We got a lot of tens, got some tens, got some eight. Yes, eight for sure. Okay, I'm surprised the people that said Final Fantasy eight had enough time when they're so busy posting on Tumblr that they're final. Final Fantasy six was sixteen percent, and then Final Fantasy thirteen was five percent. Worth pointing out we did this because one of the producers over at Square Enix is saying, when we hire young people now and ask them about their favorite Final Fantasy, they stopped saying six, and now they say Final Fantasy thirteen. Well, those developers are not in our audience. Apparently, apparently we don't have enough young people.
Speaker 2: Thankfully, there's at least one more comment that commented the same joke I made. Does Kingdom Hearts count?
Speaker 1: Oh boy? Yes?
Speaker 3: Why not? Who cares?
Speaker 1: Early on, that was the thing. It's like, it's it's Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters. That was the idea. All right, we have a new poll question. We'll get to it in a second. In fact, we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get to it right now. Have you ever played an Echo the Dolphin game?
Speaker 1: Yes? Or no, I lead with that echo the dolphin story. Have you even played these games before? Chat as anyone actually touched this? We'll find out.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about on tomorrow's show.
Speaker 1: Here on Giant Bomb speaking a Giant Bomb, Jan, what do we have going on?
Speaker 2: Well, Grub, hopefully today Mike Minatti can end our national nightmare by finishing leisure Suit Larry, please.
Speaker 3: Please please.
Speaker 1: I barely slept last night, like I was not. Steph was sick and I wasn't feeling great, and then I was up late, and then Emmy wasn't feeling good and she got in bed with us and I got like two hours of sleep. And so I need this game to end because I'm gonna be so miserable today and I don't even have to play it. But really it'd be better if I was playing, because I would finish it faster. I don't know. The Mike just likes to luxuriate in this game for some reason.
Speaker 3: It's the right.
Speaker 2: I know that that man just loves to dilly dally tilly dally favorite things being a fuddy duddy. Uh yeah, Grub, I'm gonna be honest. I fell asleep last week.
Speaker 1: Dude, I don't blame you. I mean, this is this is the worst game we've done. It's the worst game we've played.
Speaker 2: It's just like so cosmically bad. I feel like we're opening like a portal to negativity because of this game. With how bad the jokes are.
Speaker 1: We are, Uh, we're doing black Club today, everybody, so tune in for that. You get to enjoy our misery and I do. But I do believe the community, as they've said, this is the one where they've been the most miserable because the jokes are just not jokes. They're so painful. But hey, this could be the last episode too, might as we'll get a taste of it. Come watch the grand finale with us today.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like to spite everyone, Minati is gonna just be like no, we're gonna I'm going one hundred percent of this and get all the trophies.
Speaker 1: Yeah I want to. I want to go do some more of these dating mini games.
Speaker 3: I want to be weird to women until they have sex with me.
Speaker 2: I'm just also every time we fire up this game, I think this is going to be the time we get banned on Twitch or YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's not on the band list, but I. I mean, I have the same concern I did. I did want to like talk to Minati about these stories this end, because he cares about Echo in the Disney Afternoon Collection, and now we have a lot of questions about his play style. I was gonna call man, but I'm looking to the clock. We should wrap things up, all right. Let's see here, we did the new poll question, We talked about the upcoming schedule. People should go to giant bomb dot com slash join become a part of our whole thing over there. Other than that, Jan, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to start a Wednesday, Grub.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: We'll be back tomorrow, or at least I will.
Speaker 1: Jan.
Speaker 3: You're out on assignment, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm out on assignment, Grub. I'm going to see some things, all.
Speaker 1: Right, He's gonna go see some things in the meantime. Thank you all for watching today's episode. Thank you for listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.