Speaker 1: Saulsbury, Old Berry, Salisbury, Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this. Sean Salisbury to usc truth, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury, Bryan l Lima, go Lobos. This is the Seawan Salsbury Show, nine o'clock tip off tonight eight pm. Launch pad here on seven nine your home four Rockets Basketball Texans as you know, on their bye week. Ause he's aushi here his suspension upheld for three games. Sewn triple Ley. Good morning. It's also a special day here at iHeartMedia Houston. We've got our Saint Jude radiothon sponsored by Gallery Furniture. Obviously, you can become a monthly donor by pledging just nineteen dollars a month to help a kid help kids at Saint Jude fight cancer. We do this every single year and it's a phenomenal two days. It'll be today and tomorrow. Seawan, Yeah, good morning, guys.
Speaker 1: It is this Saint Jude is well, been a part of it for a while and just to be see the difference, So turn on your TV and and listen to the emotion. I mean, it's it's it's phenomenal to the point of it'll you want to talk about tugging at your emotions. It'll it will, You'll crawl ten miles over broken glass to help any way you can.
Speaker 2: So God bless them.
Speaker 1: Grateful we get to be a part of it, and our bosses here and the people involved from Eddie and Mark and the rest of them are so Uh. And and you know Gallery Furniture is obviously sponsors this as well, and Mattress Mac. We we are fortunate to have people that care a lot and rightfully so. It's one of our favorite weeks of the year, especially these two days where we get to be a part of it, a small part of it. You and I get to be out, but you know, anything you can do to help, making donations and the rest of it, it's changing lives and saving lives. And grateful for him and so grateful they're here today and we get to be a part of it the next couple of days and every year, so and thankful to our bosses it allow us to do this. Yeah, and we last year raised over a million dollars. Last year's efforts over a million dollars. That was combined with a Saint Jude golf tournament.
Speaker 2: Uh. And also of course our radio Fion which will be today and tomorrow across all of our radio stations here heart, yeah, through my heart here in Houston.
Speaker 1: And you know what is you don't yeah, right here in this building with that's a lot of money. But why stop there, you know, I mean, we keep doing it because we keep wanting to make a difference and it's needed and grateful for all those that contribute, and again, so good. It's always an honor to be a part of it. So thanks to Saint Jude and listen up, there'll be a lot of great stuff and we look forward to uh to having you guys be a part of it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we will. We will have little stories here and there about kids that were battling cancer and how they came through it and how much Sat Jud's help them. And of course we'll be giving out the number to donate if you want to become a Pledge member to give out excuse me to give out some hope to a children, some children at Saint Jude's. It's a spectacular thing that Saint Juws does every single day for these for these.
Speaker 1: Really simple I mean, it saves lives as well, and it saves lives every dime does, and it's it's important, you know, it's we're grateful for it, but it's important that every donation matters. It doesn't matter how much we'll try to beat that goal. So we can also make a difference here. So partners in Hope matter grateful to be a part of that, and I'm grateful to be a partner and Hope and we'll continue to do so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good thing what Saint Jews does. The families don't have to pay for anything when their kid is unfortunately battling cancer, going through treatments and stays and things like that.
Speaker 1: As if the families don't have enough Streuss. What an unbelievable thing that Saint Jude's has been doing for so long.
Speaker 2: So we'll be hitting on that all morning long. And again it's the Saint Jude Radio Thoon sponsored by Gallery Furniture. On the sports side of things, well, Aziz Aushaire, his case was heard by Ramon Foster, former player, and it was upheld three games. So Aziz Aushaire will be out for the next three games. And you know those three games, the Dolphins, the Chiefs and the Ravens. Three games ten days.
Speaker 1: They will not have him on that defense, Well, if they don't play better in the second half offensively, it won't matter if he's on the field or not. That's they're going to have to take care of their business offensively and play four quarters, which they don't seem to do much this year, even at eight and five. But we're gonna find out just how good they are this year in the next three weeks, starting next to what Sunday, I guess it is. I'm anxious to see. I'm anxious to see. Is it Sunday they played? They played the next game on Sunday? Or is it Saturday game? The first time when they.
Speaker 2: Come back, it'll be Sunday, and then they will play Saturday against the Chiefs, and then the following Wednesday, Wednesday, which is Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: I Uh. I'm not shocked that the three game suspension was held up. The public outcry and the public just all the coverage would have made it very difficult to lessen that because of the the the over emphasis, not just emphasis over emphasis on safety, which is important, but especially when it comes to quarterback, a battle that I'm not even talking about. The the uh and he's on ir is is uh? Trevor Lawrence and so you know the part of it. And isn't his shoulder heard as well? So that's a cushion and shoulder as well.
Speaker 2: That's what people uh you know took took uh what is it umbridge with? Yeah, yesterday basically the news came out, but no, none of these big time reporters and writers actually said why he was on IR. It's not because of the concussion, it's because of his shoulder. Ian Rappaport was one of the only ones that I saw. Trevor Lawrence is expected to have surgery to repair his significant acy joint injury in his left shoulder. His season is over, he heads to the IR.
Speaker 1: I had an ac joint injury, didn't have to have surgery on it. And when I was in college and it is you it's it's not fun. And I'm glad he for him that he's getting it done so he can have the off season to rehab it and be ready to go next year. You want good players on the field and the best of Trevor Lawrence and think and hopefully the concussion will go away soon.
Speaker 2: So he's okay.
Speaker 1: But I just think the outcry and the constant visuals you see on social media and around, there was a very minimal chance, especially that it was on a quarterback. Now, when I say that, you obviously know how I feel that situation. I try to judge every situation by what I saw on that play or the next play. All this and well, he's got the reputation, he's all those things you judge on. I'm talking about the play with Trevor Lawrence. He should have been suspended. I think it's too harsh, But I also think the rule, the the social media and the constant emphasis about quarterbacks you're always going to hit harder than not. But I also think that the slide rule needs I think the slide first, feet first rule is I think it's dumb.
Speaker 2: I do I think that. I don't even think most guys know really quite how to slide.
Speaker 1: It's like awkward, yeah, and you're you're you're not putting yourself in a protective situation, as we said yesterday.
Speaker 2: But this does not surprise me.
Speaker 1: And like I told you, if you think the NFL is going to err on the side of being less protective, they're not. All this is going to do is heighten it and don't be shocked if we have more rules for the quarterback, which to me is absurd. This is an unfortunate situation, an unfortunate injury, and an unfortunate play. And there's gonna be people that can't stand it and the optics of it and think that he's a dirty player because they keep showing the compilation of other things that have happened. And then you're gonna see the obviously listening to the character in the locker room and the people that swear by him as a person and a football player. So you're gonna make your own judgment. Most people aren't going to change theirs. But the NFL has spoken. It's three and now he's in position, go out and do it again. Hit somebody late again the second we won't be good. So now he's got to tread lightly and what he does, which can almost affect his play. I just if Trevor Lawrence, if we don't have the rule and Trevor Lawrence goes shoulder pads first, Trevor.
Speaker 2: Lawrence doesn't get we're not talking about it.
Speaker 1: He's getting prepared, probably still taking whatever shots or whatever he's doing for his you know, whatever rehab he's doing for and he's playing next week more than likely. And you know, it doesn't mean you have to take guy's head on when you're running out of the pocket. But I just think that you leave yourself in a very vulnerable situation and that's not what happens.
Speaker 2: Is in true Lawrence's fault.
Speaker 1: The rules say slide feet first, but I don't like the rule and I never have. I think we overprotect the quarterbacks, notwithstanding the Trevor Lawrence thing. And I think the feet first slide is part of the reason why the head's always exposed. Yeah, you don't have anything in front of it, and unfortunately, and the truth is too. I think the viciousness of al Shaire's forearm is what's what. Also where it's like it was almost like it was forced forearm right, Whether it's.
Speaker 2: Intention or not, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think he tried to maim Trevor Lawrence, right, but the optics weren't good. And I get why people don't like it. And I also get why the you know, when you appeal it that they looked at it said no, can't do it. They're going to always err on the side of that quarterback. They do on any quarterback. They just are, whether we like it or not. And I think we overprotect him in this situation. The optics were awful. It was out, it was just him. It wasn't like eight players around. It was him and Lawrence in the open field. And unfortunately, I told you, I said, I doubt it's going to get reduced. If anything, it'd be one game, but not taking this down any farther. Yeah, he's got three games. It's gonna be expensive, and it's gonna cost him reputation wise, unfortunately. Yeah, now he's gonna have to fix out with referees and the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Outside of the attack on his character and everything to be made about him, Shy, you're the player. The biggest thing that's come to light about this whole situation is the feet first slide for quarterbacks. I saw multiple videos yesterday of Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen from this season where they run towards a first down and it looks like they're about to slide, and it shows a defender literally stopping themselves and then they take off like there's a play. This year, I can't remember who Josh Allen who the Buffalo Bills were playing it looks like Josh Allen's about to slide. It looks like he's about to start the slide with his right foot going forward. Yep, he pivots, takes off for an extra seven yard, scores a touchdown because the defender literally stopped because he didn't want to hit the quarterback. Of course, that's a touchdown. You just had to give up a touchdown because you thought the quarterback was gonna slide.
Speaker 1: And Josh Allen's about six five two forty And if you if you do that and hesitate and you just kind of sit back on your heels, and then he re reaccelerates with his big body and puts his helmet in your your strands and runs you over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you become a.
Speaker 1: Highlight video right again and again, no question, And they show it five thousand times and nobody says anything other than ooh, Josh Allen. But you know, bitch slapped him, you know what I'm saying, or ran through him. Who quarterback tougher than the guy, Yet the guy simply broke.
Speaker 2: Down in front like I can't hit him like I want to. So it's just not right.
Speaker 1: And listen, I understand, within the rule, you can do what you do because they've allowed it. But Mahomes is the worst instigator of it all. Now, I don't promote him getting hit or hurt, but he milks it. I'm talking about throughout his career. It's a regular occurrence. I saw another compilation video of him doing it. I mean he does this stuff damn near couple times a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If it seems like if.
Speaker 1: I the thought process of a defensive player once they I mean they're already limited on how they can play. Hum, what's gonna happen when he pulls when it's not an okie doke and he starts to slide? So what happens when Mahomes all of a sudden gets towards the sideline and he does that fake step out of bounds or hesitate like he's going down and then cut back inside for fifteen more yards? What's gonna happen when one guy says not today, son, Yeah, and they run him through and knock him back into Andy Reid's lap and I'm talking about whiplash hit. They're gonna call penalty and everybody's just say, you can't hit Mahomes like that, and we're gonna sit there and say, well, if I'm the player, I'm no longer erin on the side of breaking down and let him get fifteen more yards. I'm gonna hit him, Yeah, not hurt him, but I'm gonna hit him legally. But is see, like I said, I promote I do. If I'm cooking, you hit them as hard as you possibly can legally and fairly, not head hunt. Hit him as hard as a hand, and you send a message the way football is supposed to be sent.
Speaker 2: But they milk it all the time.
Speaker 1: They milk it all and they're good at it, and the rule says you can so until they change the rule.
Speaker 2: Like I said, we overprotect quardecks.
Speaker 1: Don't you think quarterback's reputation in the last fifteen years has taken a hit? Yes, it even when you're a great player and doesn't deserve to take a hit. Not a hit on the field, the literal hit from like the way that we look at you. Okay, if I ask you who's tougher, Patrick Mahomes or Jim Kelly, what are you going to say, even it may not be true, what are you gonna say? Jim Kelly, Yeah, he's one of the toughest of all time, regardless of who you're talking about. If I say Dan Marino or John Elway or Jim Patrick Mahomes or I don't care, Trevor Lawrence, who are you gonna say?
Speaker 2: John Elway? And they may not.
Speaker 1: Be the case, but the rules have made it to where you respect the toughness of a guy, then then you do. Now why because they had to play true tackle football.
Speaker 2: When was the last time you saw a quarterback leap up into the air and get helicoptered around like John Elway? Yeah? I just I mean, honestly, when was the last time you saw it? Josh Aden is the only one that I can kind of think of that actually would put his body on the lines to try to score time.
Speaker 1: Everybody out there google Mike tom Zach hit when he was an NFL the biggest hit in the NFL on Mike tom Zach when you go to break You google that and you want to say, how.
Speaker 2: Did he ever get up? Yeah? Google that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they're tougher, but I'm talking about the perception is is your perception that Mahomes is tougher than l Way? No, he mcgret the right and he may very well be just as tough. My point is the rules have made it where I think quarterbacks toughness, even though they may be tough, has taken a hit. Yeah, because the rules. And that's another reason why I don't think quarterbacks like you like it while the game's going on. When when you walk off the field into room, if I set fifteen guys from two thousand and back to two thousand and in front, you know what, You're going to look across the room at each other like a hat Fields and Cooy's duel. The guys that are playing now are gonna say, and we could compete with you that way. But I almost sit on your side of the room when it comes to the toughness and the rules that have created us to be painted as a little softer, Yeah, which is not fair to them, right, and they milk the rule and I would too.
Speaker 2: But let's slow down now. These rules need to change.
Speaker 1: We are overly protective of these quarterbacks, but we don't give a rats ass about a receiver who doesn't slight feed.
Speaker 2: First right or the center right left tackle, the right tackle. Don't care the guards like it doesn't matter. It's all about the quarterback. I as a quarterback, I am all for getting rid of the rule. Once you break the pocket, you're a football player. Yeah, you're free run.
Speaker 1: Now you got to do what you've got to do to protect yourself and learn how to free runner.
Speaker 2: What should the NFL do about the sliding of the quarterback. We'll talk about it next and again our Saint Jude Radiothon sponsored by Gallery Furniture. Become a monthly donor by pledging just nineteen dollars a month to help kids at Saint Jude fight cancer. Put your gift on a credit card and you'll get the new this Shirt Saves Lives T shirt and a Saint Jude sweatshirt. Call right now. One eight hundred five eight eight one four three three One eight hundred five eight eight one four three three. Again, that's one eight hundred five eight eight one four three three