Speaker 1: Podze America is brought to you by simply Safe. The big tech companies treat your personal data like scalp tickets and the parking lot outside of the Super Bowl. Simply Safe, on the other hand, is an independent company not owned by big tech, so their only mission is protecting your home, not selling your data to the highest bidder. It's security that protects your privacy as much as your safety, right John, that's right, you nailed it, and you know this personally.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I set up to simply Safe and it was incredibly easy to do and I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: No big tech own zo, that's for sure, not yet. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs. It chips fast directly to your door. The app guide and set up is simple, and there's no drilling required, so you can install an arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. It's backed by simply Saves, twenty four to seven professional monitoring agents who dispatch emergency help when you need it. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring, and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm John Faber, I'm John love It.
Speaker 2: I'm Tommy Detour.
Speaker 1: On today's show, Trump says the ceasefire with Iran is on quote life support. We'll talk about why and what comes next is he heads off to China. We'll also talk about his new plan to make Venezuela our fifty first state.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect plan, perfect plan.
Speaker 1: The followup from the Virginia Supreme Court's decision to throw out the Democrats, New Maps, AOC taking on Jeff Bezos and what she might run for in twenty twenty eight, and Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy and his wife Rachel Campos Duffy getting back to their roots with a new reality television show.
Speaker 4: Yeah excited.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: A quick note before we start. If you're a friend of the Pod subscriber, which if you aren't you should be. You can now buy tickets for this year's Crookeet Con special pre sale just for subscribers, just happening for you May twelfth, that is today when you're listening. But if you're not a subscriber because you hate pro democracy independent media and you love listening to podcast ads, you can still buy Cricket cont tickets, but you're gonna have to wait till next week. Starting on May nineteen.
Speaker 2: You might get a job at CBS.
Speaker 1: You might get a job at CBS. You might get to someday interview bb net Yah, sir.
Speaker 2: Why are you so great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the only leadership.
Speaker 1: There's definitely a limited range of questions you can ask net Yahoo if you get the job at CBS, versus if you interview him here at pat America, which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Rhodes has gotten asking.
Speaker 5: I think we will be gett nan Yahoo before after we get Biden.
Speaker 4: Maybe actually a real question anyway.
Speaker 1: Either way, Cricket Con is going to be a big fun party right after the midterms November fifth through. Even Dan yelled at me for saying big fun party because he thought that was like jinxing in the midterms. I'm like, it's still gonna be a big, fun party. Even if we we're gonna still have a party, We're still gonna live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know what choice do we have, Galloys?
Speaker 6: Humor is still humor June and twenty seventeen, I did, I don't, and we don't. And when Trump won, and when Trump won, I remember telling Emily there might not be a wedding now yeah, and.
Speaker 3: She's like, on related reasons, that didn't.
Speaker 5: Take you in through that.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: Don't put this under a comment of Emily's Instagram.
Speaker 1: You know someone's gonna to send this to her. I hate it's going to turn up at your wedding, because it's going to turn up anyway. You should go subscribe what are we talking about? Become a friend of the pot, subscriber no ads for any of your favorite podcasts or cricket, and you get to support Crooked Media, and you get subscriber only shows, and you get all of our substack newsletters. And by the way, you can start buying a ticket for Kricketcon right now. They're going fast.
Speaker 2: Go get it.
Speaker 1: November fifth through seventh, Washington, DC. It's Cricketcon dot com and you can become a subscriber at Kirk dot COM's list friends. All Right, it appears that last week's siren emojis about the US and Iran closing in on a one page memo to end the war have given way to this week's siren emojis about Trump possibly resuming military action in Iran. Live by the siren emoji, Die by the siren emoji.
Speaker 2: We're talking about reporters.
Speaker 1: I mean that's that's who usually gets them. Well, actually no reporters do now. Also just random influencers and accounts, but any accurate information whatsoever.
Speaker 5: It lends a much credibility.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: It starts with judge, the sirens started Judge, isn't true, the siren doesn't make sense as a news break.
Speaker 4: Then reporters started doing it.
Speaker 1: And then just random influencer just you know, trying to gather information that's not in any way that just shows up in your four U algorithm, like Joey Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg is reporting it.
Speaker 4: It is all caps anyway. Anyway.
Speaker 1: All of this comes after Trump rejected Iran's response to the one page memo they kept telling it was one page. Get all on one page, anyway, rejected, which Iran waited ten days to send and included demands for US reparations and permanent Iranian control over the Strait of hor Moves. Trump called that quote totally unacceptable and inappropriate, before elaborating on his initial reaction in the Oval on Monday.
Speaker 7: I would say the ceasefire is on massive life support, where the doctor walks in and says, sir, your loved one has approximately a one percent chance of living.
Speaker 8: It's unbelievably weak. We say, I would call it the weakest right now after reading a piece of garbage, said I didn't even finish reading it. It was just unaccepted. You know a lot of people said, well, does you have a plan. You have to say to him, I'm the best.
Speaker 9: I have a plan. You know, it's a very simple plan. I don't know why you don't say it like it is. Iran cannot have a nuclear We to allow the removal all the enriched young Well, they did it two days ago.
Speaker 8: They didn't.
Speaker 9: Okay, they did two days ago. They say you're going to have to take it.
Speaker 7: We were going to go with them, But they changed your mind because they didn't put it at the pay I've had to deal.
Speaker 9: With them four or five times.
Speaker 2: They changed your mind.
Speaker 9: They're very dis honorable people.
Speaker 2: The leadership exhausting.
Speaker 4: Who would have thunk it.
Speaker 1: He's learning a lot of lessons over and over and over again, maybe not learning.
Speaker 10: It drives me crazy when he says I have a plan Iron cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 4: No, that's a goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what you want.
Speaker 4: What a plan?
Speaker 2: The plan is how you get to that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, that's a destination.
Speaker 2: You need, You need a root, you need a journey.
Speaker 1: So far as we start week eleven of the war, doesn't seem like that plan is bearing fruit.
Speaker 2: It's also funny that he didn't read the whole one page of Momo.
Speaker 3: Yeah finish well, Yeah, get to the bottom of the thing. Maybe there's some good stuff through some pictures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tommy, why do you think the layst deal fell apart? And what are the options does Trump have at this point?
Speaker 10: I mean it just all the details weren't public, But I think that the US sent over a bunch of hardline nuclear demands in the Iranians were like, nah, we just want you to stop blockading, the straight o'h her moves and give us all this shit and that's our take.
Speaker 2: And so now we're back. So all the options are bad.
Speaker 10: I mean, he can restart the war, which is extremely unlikely to lead to regime change, but we'll certainly lead to economic chaos in the region. He can keep the blockade going and hope that the economic pain breaks the Iranian regime before breaks the global economy.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's going to work either.
Speaker 10: And then he can find a way to declare victory and slink away, which seems like the most likely option, but Aron will probably control the straight oh horor moves in that case.
Speaker 1: I'm very interested in his how he keeps talking about the leaders in all these different ways. First he likes the new leaders because they're better than the old leaders. They killed all the old leaders. Then he also does sometimes we don't know who the leaders are. And then this one was they're awful, they're dishonorable people, they're lunatics.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's also we've been through so many rounds of reporting in which where Trump felt we were on the precipice of a deal, then the talks fall apart. But if you take out the spinning coming from the administration. Is it possible that really they've just been far apart the whole time because the ven diagram of On one side, you have Trump requiring a deal that is better than the JCPOA, the Obama deal because he said that deal with the worst you'll ever made. On the other side, you have Iran in a stronger position when the war began, wanting a better deal than that, including consequences to the ES. Yeah, to the US, reparations for the cost of the war, and the power it's gained from having control of the straight or removes. Those circles don't overlap. So what are we doing here exact? Just we keep and then the reporting is so credulous, and so it feels like we're having this up or down, up and down roller coaster, but really we're just dealing with the like kind of strategic reality of this stud fucking war. Yeah, it comes me out personally same.
Speaker 1: Well, it also sounds like, and you know they said that they in all these plans and proposals that Iron keeps sending back or responding to, it sounds like they just want to keep control of the straight up her moves no doubt, and why wouldn't.
Speaker 10: Or they want sanctions relief, or they want one together, they need a financial lifeline. But it's also like they're they're sending over their maximal's position. We send over our maximalist position, and then we just get mad and walk away. That's not how negotiations work. Get in a room, hash it out, give a little on each side, and maybe we can come to some conclusion. But they're just like they're not even trying. Trump's like I didn't read the one page memo all the way to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Bob Kagan, the hawkish neocon Iraq war supporting Bob Kagan, that one just wrote a piece of theo.
Speaker 2: I just caller Bobby Bobby.
Speaker 1: He just wrote a piece in The Atlantic titled Checkmate in Iran that starts, It's hard to think of a time when the United States suffered a total defeat in the conflict, a set back so decisive that the strategic loss could be neither repaired nor ignored.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He then ticks through every conflict since Pearl Harbor and basically makes the case that Trump's fuck up and Iran will be more consequential than all of them.
Speaker 4: Would you guys think I just want.
Speaker 3: To just before we get to get it, and that the neo, the Neo Khon High Dudgeon of the two thousands, I still do not miss.
Speaker 5: Like, look, this is a very big bunder.
Speaker 3: I think it is a little it's a little premature to be saying it's it's worse than Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Like, oh see, I thought Pearl Harber was actually one of the easier ones because because Pearl Harbor is thing was like, we came back and we won that one, pretty decision.
Speaker 3: Sure in hindsight it looked pretty good, but a year or so after Pearl Harbor things were pretty.
Speaker 4: Up in the air.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go to Iraq because that one was He was like, yeah, then we left. Then eventually we left Iraq stick more and I'm like, oh did we ya?
Speaker 5: YadA there?
Speaker 10: For that was my big note too, like I want to build the biggest ten possible. But his idea that a RAQ was mitigated by like a strategic change and then all's well, that ends well because like Saddam's not there now.
Speaker 2: I yeah, that was a little much for me.
Speaker 3: But this is all like throw clearing around what was truly a bracing and like just dismal read on the situation, including laying out like just how few options Trump has because part of the reason he called off military strikes wanted a ceased fire is because of the leverage Iran had when it was striking oil and gas infrastructure in the reason in the region. How he can try to declare victory, but that still leaves the strait of or moves. How like that all the options that Trump has are fucking terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're all terrible.
Speaker 10: And also the Israelis have also just been crystal clear that they don't think the war's over. I mean, if you watch Nan Yaioh in sixty minutes, he said as much. There's also the war in Lebanon. If you want a weaker ceasefire, I could point you to one, the one in Lebanon where they're bombing each other all the time and there's constant fighting like daily, there's casualties all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I agree with this assessment that these Iranians are not going to get up the straight over moves unless they get sanctions really for something like really big for it, and that we look weak and we look kind of feckless and unreliable.
Speaker 5: It's also like the gall.
Speaker 3: Of Trump saying, oh, these people are dishonorable, like you used previous talks as a smoke screen to uh to bomb the leadership. You have ripped up the previous agreement, and you may not have liked it, but it was negotiated in good faith by the United States, which you can you know, which whose authority came from Obama to you. So you've kind of undermined our credibility there. They have no confidence that Trump won't change his mind in a couple of months and resume bombing if they accept a deal. They have no confidence that Israel won't bomb Iran if it'd used it in its interest, even if there is a deal. So just like the the the kind of the the the kind of the way in which we're like stuck in this morass because Trump went into this so half cocked.
Speaker 4: It's just it's it's.
Speaker 5: It's just sort of gruesome minutes when you step back and look at it.
Speaker 1: I think there were times in this conflict where people said, oh, you know, I remember thinking this at one point, Oh, he could end up just going back to like Obama's Iron Deal, right, and then call it a victory, but it's going to be like around me, like, oh, you know, you all criticized Obama for this. I think it's pretty clear now that there's no way he gets a deal that's better or even the same as the Iran deal. It's gonna be worse because when the Iran deal was made, Iran didn't control the Straight of Four Moves like this piece made me think about the not I knew about the strategic importance of the strait, but just from Iran's perspective, now they've got the control. Even they get some sanctions relief, they're gonna have to get a lot more sanctions relief and a lot when they're calling it reparations or whatever, than they ever were before because they got the straight they have full control over it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Maybe they go for a deal where they charge some tolls, maybe they share control with other, you know, Gulf nations of this problem. But it seems like the scenario now where Iran willingly signed some kind of a deal where they fully give up the Straight of Horror moves and it goes back to being like an international waterway seems very slim.
Speaker 10: There's no chance they just got this incredible toy, and they're going to play with it for as long as they want until it breaks or someone takes it away.
Speaker 2: There's just no chance.
Speaker 10: But also it could get worse, like if Ye Trump decides to go back to war, the economic cost could be just a resumption of what we've seen. But also the Houthy rebels could get involved.
Speaker 2: There in Yemen.
Speaker 10: They could start firing at ships in the Red Sea. They should could choke off you know, the Saudi's have been sending a lot of their oil and guests that they can't get out through the Straight or her moves west through a pipeline and then it'll get out through the Red Sea or through the Suez Canal. If the hooth He's get involved and they choke off those access points too, like prices could hit three hundred dollars a arrow.
Speaker 2: It's a disaster.
Speaker 10: And also, by the way, we're not even talking about the reason we're in a we're there, which is the nuclear material, the nine hundred pounds of highly enriched uranium. Sometimes it's dust, sometimes it's critical to get out. It is still sitting in Iran. And also all of that material was enriched after Trump pulled out of the JCOP jcpoas with's a problem he created and now is probably not going to solve.
Speaker 1: I like the scenario that he mentioned where they were we were going to go in together with the Iranians, like just a group field trip to go to dig under the rubble and to find all the nuclear dust together. I'd go, I thought that was a real that's a that's a show I'd watch. I also like, and this is so this is around giving up the straight like through some negotiation. Then there's the other option of trying to take it by force, but that that requires like you know, uh US Navy ships potentially getting fired on and around small boats firing on other ships too. And then Kagan points out in this piece too, even if they are not firing on the ships, they can retaliate against Gulf energy infrastructure like they did however many weeks ago before the ceasefire. So like, they have plenty of options around, and clearly they are fine taking a whole bunch of punishment because you know, as the Trump administration likes to point out, they don't give a shit about their own people.
Speaker 4: They kill, protests and all kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: They surely are not going to care if they're going to inflict a ton of economic pain on their country, Like it's not like they care a lot about their people, So yeah, they're gonna have They're gonna have the appetite for a lot of pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the part that's sort of like chilling about where we're at because we're in this sort of stalemate in which Trump looks like a loser. He can try to declare victory, but they'll still be the ongoing cost of us having kind of shown our might and Iran remaining in power and now controlling the Strait of Hormuz. Or there's escalation and we've already done, We've already you know, launched a massive campaign against Iran and the regime held together. What escalation looks like, how far they'd have to go, because the next the next escalation is toward the regime collapsing, and that's a combination of economic pressure to squeeze them. That's more an intense military action, and like it all, and while that is happening, even if it were to happen relatively quickly, you're still talking about Iran unloading whatever it is it's willing to do in the Gulf and so just they are terrible options in front of America's were person.
Speaker 10: And this was totally like Trump is a drunk guy at the bar who's been lifting a lot and decided to pick a fight with the crazy guy who is cauliflower ere and that guy is kicking the shit out of him and is willing to go a lot further to win this fight than Donald Trump is and take a lot more pain and it's not gonna well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and by the way, you also killed his father, I guess, and there's no gold toilet for him. Like it is like there was something someone said once a long time ago, which is like, uh, if someone is willing to fight you, it means they have less to lose. Yep, And uh, I don't think trum have ever learned that because something that's ever been a real fight.
Speaker 5: No pots of America's brought you by neutrafil.
Speaker 3: Real change comes from small things you do every day that quietly add up to big improvements. That's the idea behind neutrafol. It's built around a simple, consistent approach to hair health that works from within and delivers visible results over time, not overnight. I take nutrable and basically I've had listen.
Speaker 4: You have so much hair that I can't even see your face if.
Speaker 3: You're up to listen. If you left it up to nature, basically, i'd be a great swimmer, you know, just like nothing. But I've used the power of modern medicine and defiance of God's will to have hair on top of my head. But even still, I noticed, like six months ago that it was like thinning a bit, and I was like, ohock, because I'm at options. But then I started using neutrafil and red light therapy and the combination genuinely really brought.
Speaker 4: My hair back read light therapy.
Speaker 5: Yes, the combo has been great.
Speaker 3: Neutral is the number one dermatologist recommended hair grow supplement brand, and it's the number one hair grow supplement brand personally used by dermatologists. Neutrable's hair grow supplements are peer reviewed, NSF certified for sport, and clinically tested. It's not a one size fits all approach. Neutral offers multiple formulas for men and women, tail it to different life stages like postpartum er, menopause, and lifestyle factors such as plant based diet, so you get support that's actually right for you. Adding Neutrable to your daily routine is easy order online, no prescription needed, with automated deliveries and free shipping to keep you on track. I take the daily neutriphil and I take the DHT inhibitor. I do it every day. It's part of my routine. And I do the red Light therapy at night and the combo. I feel like as genuine work. Let your hair become one last thing taking up space in your head and see thicker, stronger, faster growing hair with less shedding in just three to six months with nutripl. And it did take the time. It did at first it was like.
Speaker 5: Oh no, oh no, my wedding, I'm come back.
Speaker 3: Neutrable is offering our listeners ten dollars off for your first month subscription free shipping when you visit neutrapl dot com and nt your promo code crooked. That's nutrifol dot com spelled n ut r afol dot com promo code crooked.
Speaker 1: Podze America is brought to you by Rocket Money. What ridiculous subscription? Did you discover you were paying for? Any embarrassing doubles? Yeah, a ton of them all the time. There was a time where I was trying to find like a like a good workout app that gives you some workouts to do, and then you like, sign up and you subscribe, and then suddenly it's like there's three workout apps.
Speaker 4: I never use? What am I doing?
Speaker 3: I was paying for all these different things. I had someone I was playing for one of them twice ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Rocket Money allows you to track subscriptions and cancel them within the app with just a few taps. In fact, rocket Money has saved users over eight hundred and eighty million dollars in canceled subscriptions. You can categorize automatic transactions across your accounts and customize category with tags to help shed light on your spending patterns. Set budgets and savings goals. Rocket Money users who create a financial goal on the app save over seventy dollars on average within the first thirty days. Get personalized insights and regular reports on your spending habits. You can even receive real time alerts for large transactions, upcoming bills, and low balances. Consolidate your checking, savings, loans, and investment accounts into a single dashboard to give you a clear picture of your finances. You can even set automated savings with adjustable amounts and frequency.
Speaker 4: Just set it and forget it to grow toward your goals.
Speaker 1: Rocket Money is a personal finance app that helps find and cancel unwanted subscriptions, monitors you're spending, and helps lower your bills so you can grow your savings. Let rocket Money help you reach your financial goals faster, or join at rocket money dot com slash cricket. That's rocket money dot com, slash cricket, rocket money dot com slash cricket. Good news though, for all you drivers wondering if we're ever going to see three dollars a gallon gas again. Trump said Monday he's considering suspending the federal gas tax to it, which is currently about eighteen cents a gallon for gasoline and twenty four cents a gallon for diesel. President said he'd suspend the tax for as long as it takes, which seems like not that long if you believe Kevin Hassett, which of course you should, uh, who just said oil prices will drop quickly before the midterms. Once quote the gusher opens, where's the gusher?
Speaker 3: I guess in the strait Chuck Schumer's office now they heard about the gas tax bill.
Speaker 5: He excites him.
Speaker 2: Sorry, just because he.
Speaker 5: Loves it, you know, he does the press conversation again.
Speaker 1: No, yes, for sure, for sure discussion suspending the gas tax a good idea or great idea?
Speaker 10: Yea, suspend the gas tax, release all the strategic petroleum reserve, get rid of all the sanctions on Iran and maybe Russia while you're.
Speaker 2: At it, go nuts.
Speaker 10: Prices will stay high, but now we won't be able to pay for highways or mass transit.
Speaker 4: It's a great idea.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, we already can't pay for those things anyway, and over the last sort of half century, more and more of our roads are paid for without the gas. The astats is supplemental, but we still pay for ourselves. I mean, having a gas tax is a good idea of the politics of suspending it or great, just do it.
Speaker 1: This is said said like someone who was on Hillary Clinton's primary campaign in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 5: Well, if I don't even remember, we were forcing you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to think about that too, because it's like the mandate fight. Who was no, you guys when we did the Indiana and North Carolina primaries, Hillary was saying we should suspend the gas tacks, and Obama was saying, that's just a that's just a gimmick and it's bad and we shouldn't do it, and it's just it's not really going to affect your prices that much.
Speaker 10: Is that when John McCain sent tire gauges to us, And that's something different.
Speaker 3: That was that was when that was when we were going to sell properly. That was when we were making we want people to check.
Speaker 5: He just suggested people check their tires. There like fucking piece of shit. We like running on these soft tires.
Speaker 3: Cushy's cushing can fill up my tires, communist bastard.
Speaker 5: But the uh yeah, I look.
Speaker 4: The way it is, it does it. It doesn't actually bring down the prices.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's what it's eighteen twenty sixteen to eighteen cents a gallon and then a little bit more for diesel. I mean, it's a bigger deal for truck drivers. Commercials like it does make a big difference for people, and it like that, But.
Speaker 1: Those are ridiculous. The drump said he would do this, can't do it without Congress. There's some bipartis in legislation that was floating around. It might get a little more lift now that he said it. But he can't do it on his own, or I guess he's not supposed to do it own on his own. Who knows he can try anyway, And yeah, of course it robs the government of you know, revenue. It can't afford to lose because we have a lot of big ticket items that we need to pay for, like bombing Iran and building a ballroom and now apparently painting the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool American flag blue, which along with some other repairs, is apparently going to cost thirteen point one million dollars. According to David Fahrenholds at The Times, this is an apparently it's an eighty eight percent jump in the cost of what it's going to take to repaint the reflecting pool. And you know why it jumped so high because Donald Trump decided to give a no bid contract to the guy who did all his pools at Bedminster.
Speaker 2: Which is Rudy Gulian. Honey, hope you feel better.
Speaker 3: It's all they're trying to sue it to stop it. And it was funny the guy that was suing is like, ah, we just look, it's a process thing. But also we just think they chose a bad color, which you know they did, you know through the tackiest fucking thing is the test blue. Like, come on, it doesn't look like a goddamn uh like splash mountain thing, like just kind of the best.
Speaker 10: Blue is North Carolina Carolina blue. Should just do that. You don't see colors.
Speaker 4: That'd be pretty bright in the reflecting pool.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm just making this up.
Speaker 10: Why did Kevin Hassett always he looks like Dennis the Menace just took down the biggest nitress balloon you've ever seen, and then he just spouts like economic bullshit on.
Speaker 4: The It's like he's spous the best, he's the best.
Speaker 5: Get him out more, get him out there.
Speaker 1: Uh, thirteen million dollars for the reflecting pool. They're boating on the ballroom this week. I remember that's a billion dollars that they want to add in security.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of security.
Speaker 4: Did you see what what are we doing to that?
Speaker 1: Speaking of speaking to your boy, Chuck Schumer, huh uh. He coined a new term for Republicans because the ballroom. Did you see what it was, Oh, I didn't no ballroom Republicans. He's calling them ball He's calling the party ballroom republicans.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 4: I know it's one of those.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's a it's definitely definitely not using a scalpel there, more of a more of a sledgehimmer. But maybe he he throws out ballroom Republicans and then everyone it's like a signal and everyone says it in a better way, but everyone knows what the message is because.
Speaker 4: He shot me.
Speaker 3: Shots made this point last week that because this billion dollars is in the budget, they're all gonna have to vote on it. And I think that's great. It's a yes or no yeah on the fucking ballroom terrific, terrific.
Speaker 1: The idea that they're saying, oh, it's security security, secret Service needs it, Well, would they need it if you didn't have the fucking ballroom?
Speaker 4: Probably not.
Speaker 3: Hey, well, it's like you knocked down the East Wing and you got to rebuild it, did you?
Speaker 5: Did you not?
Speaker 3: Was it a different American in which there wasn't security when you knock down.
Speaker 1: A building, that line item in the budget, when you were doing up the budget for the new ballroom.
Speaker 5: You knew what the thing was going to fucking cost.
Speaker 3: It's like now it's like every fucking now it's like a football stadium where uh, you know, there's these donors are going to have to go to the big unveiling because they're the ones responsible. But the vast majority of the cost of the taxpayers, because it's building that if the actual kind of construction is three hundred million, but securing the facility as a billion dollars costs that were inevitable and required in order to ever use it. It's a taxpayer ballroom, just one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Just trying to add it up.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We got there's the ballroom, there's the Trump Kennedy Center. There's the arch. We haven't even started building the arch yet.
Speaker 2: We'll get going.
Speaker 1: We got the and now the reflecting pool. They are also that that UFC fight. That's gonna that's gonna take some doing to put up that and take it down on the White House lawn. Now some of this is like privately funded scaping. It is, of course, the it's the it's the worst of all worlds for Trump, the best of all worlds for us in the politics. But it's like some of it's being funded by major donors, corporate donors who now get special access to Trump because of their donation.
Speaker 4: And then the rest is the taxpayers foot the billings.
Speaker 1: It's like a good mix of shady influence of corporate allies of Trump and just you know, good old fashioned uh, just you know corruption.
Speaker 2: The reflecting pool brought.
Speaker 10: To you by So when you're reflecting on your life, you like to think about the drones, like.
Speaker 3: Hey, we got really the reflecting pool wasn't a problem. Now I'm open to the possibility that they could use a ball room. I don't think it would have been my priority, right, but the reflecting pool is just doing its thing.
Speaker 2: It was just it's not the wrong color. It looks great.
Speaker 5: It's classic. I do think. Listen, I've said this before, no offense to Steven Spielberg. I think that World War Two memorial.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: This is my position, which I think is I don't want I don't want it. I don't want the final design.
Speaker 2: Trickle down ballroom.
Speaker 3: He was part of the class because it was part of the post saving Private Ryan Tom. It was in the it was part he was helped raise money for it, and he was kind of a big booster of it. I don't know exactly what it is direct involved. It was not the designer of it, but he was a big face of getting it done.
Speaker 1: So the Democrat takes over. We're going to bulldoze the ballroom. Yeah, bulldoze the World War.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I don't want that. I listen.
Speaker 4: The reflecting the reflecting pool.
Speaker 2: Is that where Jenny and Forrest gumpre united? Was that in the reflectable Yes? Yeah, it is, it is it. Don't mess with that, lamb.
Speaker 3: Look that this the the painting the reflecting pool kind of undoing that that's an easy one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That that all the gold on the White House that's coming off, that's on the outside of the oval.
Speaker 4: That's like cursive old writing oval this way clips here.
Speaker 5: Why do you think this house? He's a fucking name tag. We all know you. Everyone knows what it is. That's the whole idea of it.
Speaker 10: Funny they did a big gold like in this house, we believe, kind of like.
Speaker 1: The mar A Lago a bomb pond umbrellas, the yellow umbrellas, those are all.
Speaker 2: Going those drive me. It looks just like mar A Lago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's that's a silly color. It's a long list.
Speaker 1: Well, if suspending the gas tags doesn't work and the and the gusher of oil doesn't open, Trump does have one other top gusher gusher gush. Yeah, it's a snack gusher. Uh, it is a snack, Yes, Tommy Trump does have one other trick off his sleeve. President told Fox on Monday that he is quote seriously considering making Venezuela the fifty first US state because there's quote forty trillion dollars in oil there and quote Venezuela loves Trump.
Speaker 2: Isn't this the Naga fever dream?
Speaker 10: Isn't he president because Joe Biden let in too many people from Venezuela in prisons.
Speaker 2: Where is Stephen Miller on this one? I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm pretty sure every person in a Nezuelan prison would become an American. He would make he would make an unprecedented number of Venezuelan prisoners, quite an amnesty. Every person in the asylum, the worst people in Venezuela would all become American.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a good question, uh huh.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if, just to play this out, if this administration zeven Miller would make sure that they are second class citizens who have to stay in Venezuela. We know how they treat the citizens of Puerto Ricod. Maduro's advocate here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they're not they're not a member, they're not there.
Speaker 3: They don't have state of down the first state as a matter of Congress exactly.
Speaker 2: Considering, oh you're considering it, so am I.
Speaker 1: You also need I mean, I know that we don't care about international law or the UN anymore, but it's a flagrant violation of international law. The people of Venezuela would have to, of course vote on this.
Speaker 3: Only a flavorant violation of an international law that Venezuelans don't choose to do.
Speaker 4: It, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, presuming we'd have to have some sort of vote on.
Speaker 4: It, which would be like that's that's quite a presumption.
Speaker 3: Also, also, boy creates a bunch of new interesting boarders that presumably would also need walls from Mexico.
Speaker 5: To pay for.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also he said that they love Trump, and I did look at some polling on this. It was in the Miami Herald actually a couple weeks ago. They did put a big Pole in Venezuela. In January, ninety two percent of Venezuelan and said they felt grateful to Trump for capturing Maduro. That was like a couple of days after after the capture, and a few weeks ago it's down to forty seven percent. Eighty nine percent of Venezuelan's reject Trump's continued backing of Rodriguez, and seventy eight percent think the country's on the wrong track under her.
Speaker 3: So honestly, honestly, him losing support for deposing Maduro that quickly, it's actually very American to me. It's like, Wow, whatever have you done.
Speaker 5: For me lately?
Speaker 2: Bitch? I'm one hundred.
Speaker 10: I'm sure that we've now officially thought about this longer and deeper the path for sure. Certainly there's an easier way to just steal all their oil than to make another state. Yeah, that's the endgame.
Speaker 4: Although we're doing that now, and we're doing that now already.
Speaker 10: The oil is not just like it's like in the Amazon. It's like very hard to access. Actually, it's real pain.
Speaker 1: I know, we you know, I was flirting with not talking about this at all, but we saw what happened with Greenland there's there's. NATO had exercises military exercise in Greenland, so we got pretty close on that one.
Speaker 10: Raphael Lemkin just wanted to shato at us about international law over here, like a.
Speaker 4: Mall clooney over there.
Speaker 5: Get the first. That was very very yeah, I say that shit from then.
Speaker 4: Take it to the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, OK, God, Save America is brought to you by Helix. Sleep is so important. A good night's rest sets you up for a great day. I've had all kinds of sleep issues over the years.
Speaker 5: Brain can't stop.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I had a dream last night in the middle of the night that I had signed a contract that obligated me to an unlimited expense over a real estate deal involving apartment buildings. I woke up in a panic. You know. I sometimes think nightmares get a bad rap. If you have a really good dream and you wake up, it's not true. You have a nightmare and then you wake up that was real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that wasn't real.
Speaker 6: It's a nice feeling, That's what I've been telling charge. Awesome as worse of the five year old work YouTube also a nice feeling sleeping on a Helix mattress. I love my Helix next Writress again.
Speaker 1: Charlie also does, and we just got Teddy a big boy bat and guess what it is.
Speaker 5: Is it a Helix?
Speaker 4: It's a Helix. Another Helix in the house.
Speaker 3: You take the Helix Sleep quiz and I'll match you with a perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. I have the dawn Lux, very comfortable. We get free shipping and seamless delivery. He Looks delivers your mattress right to your door with free shipping in the US. The Happy with Helos guarantee offers a risk free, customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress. You can rest easy with seamless returns, it exchanges. Helix offers one hundred and twenty nights sleep trial and limited lifetime warranty. I'm a huge fan of Helix. Was an upgrade from my previous mattress and I've had it for a long time and it's great. He looks Sleep dot Com slash crooket for twenty seven percent off site wide. That's Helix, Sleep dot Com slash criket for twenty seven percent off site. Why this offer is exclusive to our listeners. Make sure you enter our show name after checkout so they know we sent you. He looks sleep dot com slash crookeet.
Speaker 1: Positive America is brought to you by cook Unity. You know how I feel about cook Unity.
Speaker 4: You're huge, guys.
Speaker 1: I put my order in, uh just yesterday for next week, and I was all excited because there's some new meals that I can get and had it last night, had it all last week.
Speaker 4: It's just great.
Speaker 1: Co Community is the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US, not factory, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you'd get at the restaurant itself, meals from Michelin starred chefs, James Beard winners, and Food Network stars. In fact, when you're picking some of the meals, there's a little there's sometimes a little sign at the top that says James Beard winner.
Speaker 4: You know that that's pretty good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how you know.
Speaker 1: But also there's different users rating it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like the rate.
Speaker 5: I use the.
Speaker 4: The four to five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, But I've been using it for a while and so now I have like a bunch that are just my favorites that I make sure I have like one of every week. Maybe they have they have a musaka thing that is fucking excellent.
Speaker 1: Musaka is great. They have a lot of bowls that are very good too. Some rice in the bowl. They got some salad bowls. Community works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly over ten different dietary preferences, high protein, low sodium GLP one, pescatarian, gluten free, and more. Over twenty five global cuisines Mediterranean, Korean, Thai, Mexican, Italian, and more. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small, batched meals just for you. Go to Cookmunity dot com slash crooked or enter crooked before checkout to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code crooked or going to cookunity dot com slash crooked. All right, so Trump, staying on this subject, Trump's about to spend some quality time this week with fellow imperialist jijiin Bing. When he takes his first trip to China since twenty seventeen. Naturally, Trump will be rolling a few billionaires deep. Elon Musk and Tim Cook are joining, among others, probably because of their diplomatic skills.
Speaker 10: Can we pause on that? Hey, Tim, you're resigning. You don't have to do this anymore. Tim Cook, you know what, when just likes Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: I really do.
Speaker 1: I think anyone who's Tim Cook was just like do? I think Tim Kirk's just figured he just liked fucking screen. No, fuck Tim Cook, he sucks.
Speaker 2: Wown't help your iPhone?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Help your Apple cares?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see it, pride him, I guess. Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, uh So Tommy, an Asian diplomat in DC, told Politico they're worried that China might offer to help reopen the Straight in exchange for American concessions on Taiwan, which I'm sure if Trump read that would be a good idea.
Speaker 4: How big of a deal would that be? How concerned are you?
Speaker 10: I mean? I, first of all, I'm just skeptical that China could actually force Iran to reopen the Straight and kind of go back to the before times, because if you're like China buys ninety percent of Iran's oil, but still if you're around you're thinking, look, we get a couple a couple of million worth of bitcoin. I had every boat that goes by, we find a new buyer for that oil.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, I'm skeptical.
Speaker 10: I asked a China expert friend about this quote in Politico, and his take was like.
Speaker 2: It would likely be more like, how can you expect me to.
Speaker 10: Help you with the straight Oh, hermuz not sell my Iranian friends anymore weapons. When you're selling weapons to the Taiwanese and giving them diplomatic cover, that could certainly happen. And Trump, I think, basically said today that Taiwan arm sales are up for negotiation, which is a huge deviation from traditional foreign policy where that's just not a thing that is discussed with the Chinese. It's you know, congressionally mandated laws which.
Speaker 5: He signed, Like, right, yeah, he could.
Speaker 10: Well, this is an interesting thing. Is like I've always assumed Trump could give a shit about Taiwan. He cares insofar as losing access to their semiconductors would be an economic calamity, right, And.
Speaker 5: It would be a historic it would be historic ego wound.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but like he doesn't give a shit about freedom, democracy, human rights, religious freedom, hating communism, all the traditional like things that once animated Republicans on this. So I assume he would trade away Taiwan in a heartbeat for a good trade deal. But even but cheting ping, like he doesn't need Trump to be to make some historic shift, even rhetorically, Like I think if he gets what he if hears what he wants to hear behind the scenes, that's more than enough. Like, yeah, you do what you gotta do. I'm not gonna go after you. I mean, so we'll see. Like all that said, the Trump administration has greenlit huge arm sales packages of Taiwan. Now, the rub here is that those haven't been delivered yet. They're like twenty billion behind in the delivery of those weapons. But like people like Marco Rubio is making sure that the packages get authorized, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then they're they're gonna be talking about Ai a lot as well. Apparently it seems like a good outcome on AI. It seems like it could be. There's reports that they may open a channel of communication to make sure that like Cold War style with like nuclear weapons, like make sure there's.
Speaker 2: She gives them a chatbot.
Speaker 4: This is me.
Speaker 2: I like you want want those two going deep on AI?
Speaker 1: No shit, but I would I would like our country cooperating with China on making sure that we are keeping a line open on AI when it gets scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I tried to bringy about it was last week. Feels like time flies. But uh, like there's obviously a space between like hamstringing whatever advantage we think we have and allowing to sort of unfettered development. Like there clearly would be some kind of there's a way to have an agreement about some kind of limits, uh, to prevent sort of catastrophic outcomes with AI, And like that seems like exactly what we would want them to be working. And they said they were going to talk about it.
Speaker 10: I do think that's just not AI. The nukes, the nuclear decision making process, no AI on.
Speaker 1: That, and they have they have they have both agreed so far. Do that split that off? But there's a lot more. There's lock that plenty of other problems that.
Speaker 4: Could end the world. Uh, you know, bio weapons.
Speaker 1: All right, we haven't had a chance to talk about the shitty news we got on Friday about Virginia where the state Supreme Court overturned the referendum that voters just passed to create new congressional maps ahead of the midterms. Tommy and Dan covered the news when it broke on the p s a YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: I have to say, we crushed it.
Speaker 4: That's why you should go subscribe for free.
Speaker 10: Subscribe to pot America on YouTube free if you want to see Dan looking spicy on Friday. Okay, he does most of the YouTube's he pops the top.
Speaker 4: Oh he does topless YouTube that Friday. Yeah, for Friday, and then.
Speaker 3: Under the table camera. That's for the subscribers.
Speaker 4: I'll talk about a polar coaster here dom one of these.
Speaker 3: Nice Anyway, nobody put this in the comments a message box.
Speaker 5: That's the only way Dan'll know this happened.
Speaker 2: Shy be fucking cool, fucking narcs.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what was I going to say?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, there's been some more developments on the potential redistricting can fallout in Virginia and other states ahead of the midterms. Uh, here's glass half empty. Nate Cone, of course, calculated that Republicans could now lose the popular vote by more than two points and still keep control of the House.
Speaker 4: Uh, then there's glass half full.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Martin is out with the column arguing that Republicans still might lose many of the newly drawn districts, which by definition will be more competitive. Amy Walter at Cook Political basically said the same thing.
Speaker 4: I think you guys probably talked about that on Friday.
Speaker 1: I think she thinks that when all of a sudden done, the realistic game is probably like five seats in a good scenario.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they could net like eleven or twelve, but probably won't right take.
Speaker 1: And that's because of the Democrats still winning those tough districts, not because they would still get to redraw them. And j mart argues that they're handing Democrats a generational opportunity to mobilize outraged black voters. Case in point, Republican Representative Ralph Norman said on Monday about the state's lone Democratic Congressman, Jim Clyburn, who's one of the longest serving black members in the House. Quote, I like him personally, but he does not represent the rest of South Carolina. Well that's you know, Jesus, That is part of the point of representing one district in a state, as you represent some people in the state and not all the people in the state. How are you guys processing the news generally and specifically on the question of whether this is all as bad as people think?
Speaker 4: And on that point.
Speaker 1: Some breaking news while we were recording this, the US Supreme Court did rule they lifted the injunction on Alabama that they had in place before, now allowing them to pursue their new maps.
Speaker 10: In that sting dick heads, they voted forward their new you know map proposal in the middle of a tornado warning they just kept going. Just loves to evacuate. They're like, no, no, no stripping away black people's uh voting rights.
Speaker 2: It is more important to us.
Speaker 4: So what do you guys think? How bad?
Speaker 3: So I seen a couple of different numbers, but basically, even with these new maps, if we have you know, if we went by I let's say four percent right nationally the House, the House margin is four percent, then we still win the House.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 4: That's an important one.
Speaker 1: Just to yeah, just put an exclamation point on that, because that was if if Louisiana, Alabama in South Carolina will go, which now seems like, we are definitely hit with that scenario, and they say, if we won the popular vote by four in that scenario, Democrats still.
Speaker 3: Win the House, right, And so I'm all for doing like a round of worry and recrimination. But I would say that in this political environment, the deeper, the deeper problem would be not having confidence that against a president with this approval rating, with both kind of on the politics and on the policy, has been as bad a president as you could ever imagine, as destructive of force as you can ever imagine, enabled directly by Republicans who deserve to be held responsible for this president's misadventures. We ought to be able to beat that four percent. We should focus on that, because if we do that, then not only do we overcome their advantages in the gerrymander, we can win those Virginia seats that on the old map, and we can actually prove that some of their maps were drawn to aggressively and make make them more nervous the next time they look at doing this to try to redraw the maps, because the Republican incumbents will start to think, oh, if there's even a slight wave, I could lose my seat.
Speaker 1: I mean Democrats won the House popular vote by eight in twenty eighteen. So if we're thinking and hoping and expecting this cycle to be better than even twenty eighteen, then we should have no problem in the House. And look, if we're not winning by eight, if we're only winning by four, then something else went wrong exactly more than redisserting. Like you said, if after all this, Democrats win by four or five or six in this kind of year and so worse than we did in twenty.
Speaker 4: Eighteen, maybe they like the ballroom. Maybe they like the ballroom.
Speaker 1: Maybe they like five dollars gas. Maybe people are like upsets then had so much money left over after they filled up their tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people hate it. They hate having other options with what to do with the money. But yeah, one and I would also say, if also this does galvanize people and we are able to win the House, suddenly we have people showing up in the Senate races that might not have otherwise, and it sort of, you know, Republicans can be hoisted by their own petards.
Speaker 1: Nate con points out the challenge is the Median District House district now in the country will have voted for Trump by five and a half points. Sweet, So that means to win back the majority, you're winning a lot of not all, but you have to win some significant amount of seats that you know Trump won by five to five.
Speaker 5: And look, which we've already been doing in every right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the swings from from twenty four to these specials have been like, on average, I think thirteen points. You know, these are base elections. Democrats are already more motivated. Hopefully they will all learn about this, be angry about it, even more motivated to turn out. And the good thing about Trump is he just things are as bad as they've ever been for him politically, and he's like, gimme a shovel. I'm not done digging billion dollar ballroom, one point five trillion dollar Pentagon budget. Let me drive my stupid car on a fountain. For some reason, he's just like wasting his time on stupid shit.
Speaker 1: And look, the bigger long term problem here that will outlast Trump is the concentrated power of the state legislatures in red states, which they have because they have gerrymandered their state legislative districts in such a crazy fashion and in many cases, like in North Carolina, know that if the full state elects a Democrat as governor, which happens in places like North Carolina, Wisconsin. Then the state legislature, which never has to worry about competitive elections or Republicans losing, just takes all the power away from the cow so liked at some point whatever Project twenty twenty nine, whatever long term thing we're doing, like, we have to figure out a way to win back power in some of these state legislatures in some of the Southern states and other heavily Republican states that have gerry mattered themselves on a state level. Forget about the federal level into such a play when and we know from the constitution right that it you know, in dios.
Speaker 4: State legislatures with a lot of power.
Speaker 10: When it comes with elections, certain alienable rights like like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that that is And on that note, if Democrats do control Virginia, I don't know if you guys saw the mini new cycle about Virginia Democrats considering whether to it was a mini new cycle. Mini it's like a mini war, which we talked about this morning. It's already over anyway. They were considering whether to change the retirement age for state Supreme Court justices uh so to bring it down in order to get rid of all the state Supreme Court justices on the Virginia Supreme Court and appoint new ones in time to uh change the maps and then have the new democratically appointed uh Democratic partily party appointed state Democrat state Supreme Court justices approve the new maps and in time for the midterms.
Speaker 3: First of a well, at first they'd have to get a bunch of new they'd have to replace those justices because they've been retired by the government at the age of I think in decrepit fifty four.
Speaker 10: I mean, first of all, shout out for create points for creativity.
Speaker 4: It's for creativity.
Speaker 10: A local news, some local news outlet in Virginia floated this idea, and all of a sudden we're talking about it.
Speaker 3: Real dog another thing says a golden retriever can't be Speaker of the House.
Speaker 10: Situation is without a doubt, undemocratic, terrible precedent, the kind of thing that voters would absolutely despise in this climate, absolutely would do it appropriate.
Speaker 1: You know, the governor of Louisiana is just talking about on TV how he's like thrown out ballots and he's not my fault from courts fault you did cancel on election?
Speaker 10: Do we really think Abigail Spanburger, Governor Spanburger would have wanted to, you know, kind of hemorrhage all the political capital she built up with independent Republican voters doing this early on.
Speaker 2: I doubt it. I bet she has other things she wants.
Speaker 1: Did you see Greg Sergeant's piece in the New Republic? When it the reason they're not doing it? So May twelfth, which is the day you're listening to this, that is the deadline set by the Department Elections for having congressional maps in the system in time for early voting in June ahead of the August primary. So they couldn't passed the lot to lower the retirementho to get rid of the judges, to point all the new judges to reach over the maps to send it back to court. Because the technology because because the technology is so old, it takes a lot of time to input new districts into.
Speaker 6: The computers that the computers we lose.
Speaker 4: Are we putting the maps? Like are we like faim?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is it punch cards? Like I don't know what we're doing? Like how big is it? Is it a room?
Speaker 3: Does it overheat, Like I don't understand, wait, Claude, but the idea that we could potentially lose the house.
Speaker 2: Because Virginia the computers called upon Rginia.
Speaker 3: The Virginia government's computers are too slow to be a democracy.
Speaker 5: That's what the potential there.
Speaker 10: Sergeant just call an old person by accident, like a luddite who doesn't think it was like the guy that runs the State Senate, he was the one that was.
Speaker 5: Saying the judgment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, no, no, no, he got a real guy on the phone.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think Greg Sargy got by like he was a real person. But that guy was like, hey listen, it was yeah, I love the idea.
Speaker 5: It was love love your idea. Yeah, I mean, look, my my take on.
Speaker 10: It was, Okay, bikinis got all the state legislation on all the districts.
Speaker 5: All the districts have just magnificent, magnificent yavas.
Speaker 2: The look at these canons.
Speaker 1: Look okay, it's just just so Virginia State Senate Majority leader Scott Serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just meant it was he old and doesn't no computers.
Speaker 4: That's fair. But I just want to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm calling him the Jim Comey of fucking Virginia. No, I don't, I don't. I don't think that's fair. No, look the thing about it.
Speaker 2: Is eighty six guy.
Speaker 4: He's the one who picked up the phone.
Speaker 5: Never don't make them.
Speaker 4: Could have been Spenburger. She didn't pick up the phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well smart, No, that's why she's governor. Yeah, I'm not taking that fucking call. Oh the crazy.
Speaker 3: I will get rid of all the just judge judges because the democracy.
Speaker 5: To save democracy. I've gotten rid of all the judges. They're worse than us. Everybody get behind me. We're going come.
Speaker 4: On, Gavin Newsom's breathing down or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gavin Newsom about it. We could have the raft and send them off to fucking Hawaii. That that fucking institutional, fucking fact. We could have had all democratic districts, all democratic districts.
Speaker 5: What kind of.
Speaker 2: Coward we see?
Speaker 1: Why is Gavin new some such a coward? Yeah put that out there. But I'm just kidding. But Governor, if.
Speaker 3: You told me right now that we there's no time isould we don't know what the future holds. We can still win the House. We should fight to win the House. Yes, this made it harder. But the idea that.
Speaker 5: If you, if we knew, like with with.
Speaker 3: With certainty, that our only path to to to having some check on Trump was doing.
Speaker 1: This updating machines with updating the machines, updated with Tim Cooks software, up updating the fucking updating now updating to see fifteen point two, so we can upload the maps.
Speaker 3: So the new judges that are young and vital, just the thirty two year old new Democratic judges could have proved the map, I'd be like, Okay, I get it. Maybe it's worth the risk of word second year, but everything can get worse. And look, I believe Republicans are leading us down all these escalatory paths all along the way, every step of the way.
Speaker 5: But this would be a new one and it would be on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, about democrats, is any it's it is clear that any state where Democrats have control either of the governorship or the governorship and ideally the state legislature, if we do not act to maximize the number of seats that we win between now and twenty eight, because the cycle.
Speaker 1: Is already pass Virginia will have a chance to do right, which you have to. If you decide to take a pass on that, yeah, then you're fucked. But like I expect New York, Virginia and Colorado, but are getting the act. Minnesota can, I believe, Wisconsin can. Maryland I think can squeeze out another one at Illinois.
Speaker 5: But JB.
Speaker 10: Prisker probably will be bull dozing the courthouses, you know, I guess right.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: The the problem is the Virginia State Constitution, commonwealth. That's that's that that gives you know, the legislature the authority to appoint the judges, uh and and gives them certain terms so that you get a bunch of republic especially probably a fair for democracy be great for I mean great for the country.
Speaker 3: But they can't they can expand from sething to eleven seeds as you need actually like a big super majority in the legislator, I think to present prevent exactly this exactly sounds.
Speaker 4: A good model for America.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, yeah, but again we have to do things as a country, yeah, and not as individual states, which is why you need to eliminate jerry mandering as a country.
Speaker 2: Back of this quarter, what.
Speaker 3: You all about to say, the US Constitution does not require any specifics on expanding the number of justices in the Supreme Court, and that is just a custom. And now are we have we ever did bide administration ever finished that report?
Speaker 5: Whether we should do where?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 2: We're on good wearing that report?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, I think they did. It's on Garland's to do list.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pods of America is brought to you by HYMNS. Eaty is way more common than most guys think. Millions of guys deal with at some point, and that's exactly why Hym's offers a straightforward way to handle it. Hymns connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate d treatment options from home. No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines. Just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribe, your treatment will ship directly to your door in discrete packaging that includes sildenafil also known as generic for viagra, available through HYMNS add up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version. And if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for d, weight loss, and more. Visit hyms dot com slash crooked that's hyms dot com slash crooked for your free online visit hyms dot com slash crookt Prescription required. See website for details and important safety information. Sil Dentifhil is the generic version of Viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Viatrice Specialty LLC. HYMNS is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice.
Speaker 1: All right, anyway, why worry about twenty twenty six when we can speculate about two twenty eight? Nice AOC made some news over the weekend when she sat down with our pal David Oxroud at the University of Chicago Institute of Politics. Boy, was there an event that's just designed for us acts at the IOP with the interviewing AOC. Good times, We reviewed the IOP tape and I'll tell you all about it. No, Yeah, pretty good twenty seventeen joke where she provided the terminally online among us plenty of content to engage with, as people have been over the last couple of days. There was one response in particular she gave to the age old question of whether she's planning on running for president or senate in twenty twenty eight we should talk about in which she answered by pivoting to a Washington Post editorial last week going after her for saying that it's impossible to become a billionaire without breaking rules and abusing workers or paying them not what they're worth.
Speaker 4: Take a listen.
Speaker 11: It was very clear this was a veiled threat, right, So the elite saying, if you want this job, you just stepped out of line. They assumed that my ambitions, position and all. They assume that my ambition is a title or a seat, and my ambition is way bigger than that. My ambition is to change this country. Presidents come and go, Senate House seats, selected officials come and go. But single payer health cares, forever a living wages, forever, workers right, for forever women's.
Speaker 1: Right, which this president would come and go a little faster. Yeah, which you guys think I thought it was. In terms of non answers to questions about are you going to run for president?
Speaker 4: That's one of the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went to the crowd to a guy named Chuck Chumor, who is.
Speaker 10: Like, yeah, we've all heard a million politicians duck that question, and usually it's some version of look, I'm not thinking about that right now.
Speaker 2: My priorities are on the state of Virginia. Mike Calendar.
Speaker 10: It's like she made it bigger, she made it about what she wanted to do with the people she wanted to help. I thought that was that was nice, was well done. Now, the nitpicking response that we kind of hinted at is the legislative acomplishments are more durable, but not they're not forever.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court overturned ro versus way. But I think that's a little too literal. Yeah, yeah, we all know.
Speaker 1: I feel like we would have written the line forever and then and then, like the policy nerds or the lawyers would have been like, more durable is more, it's more accurate, which is correct.
Speaker 4: It would have been more accurate to say that almost ac is still hanging on.
Speaker 5: Nearly for Yeah, yeah, by the skin of its teeth.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: I did think it was completely wild to have a Washington Post editorial, not a column, but an entire editorial from the ed board owned by Jeff Bezos being like, hey, stop picking on billionaires.
Speaker 5: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Well, he's like, I'm going to redo the editorial board so that it focuses on free markets and and uh like, you know, not attacking success. And it's like, you know, promises made, promises kept. I guess on what that editorial board would do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I watched the whole thing, though I'd never heard her talk about the specific experience of going from candidate to overnight celebrity.
Speaker 2: That's a really interesting story, that's it. And how just like head spinning it insane that was, And.
Speaker 10: Then the part about what did you hear that story about why she didn't go to med school like her dad got sick passed away actually and her mom started working at these jobs. I mean, it's not just like the bartending story that makes her feel like more of a human being than any other politician. It's the very recent past and economic hardship shed I know, it's just a very compelling of that. It was worth watching the full hour, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say that the whole conversation about should billionaires exist? To me, is not the most productive use of time on either side of the debate, because it's like, here's the thing about billionaires. I just want to make sure that they are taxed appropriately. I want to make sure that they can't use their influence and power to change the laws and have a bigger megaphone than everyone else in the country just because they're rich. But like it seems like an academic dorm room debate to be like should they exist, should they not exist? If they exist, does that mean that they broke the law.
Speaker 4: Or not broke the law? Like, I don't know why we need to be debate in that place.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's I was thinking about there was something about the online debate that was very frustrating to me because there's a lot of people talking past.
Speaker 1: A few a few aspects of the online debate that we can get into most we can start with the billionaires one.
Speaker 3: And and I was trying to figure out what was bugging me about it, And it is, I think, because you end up in this conversation in which the terms are moral and fuzzy terms like earned, legitimate, deserved, and those are moral language. And I actually think the debate over the kind of morality of who can amass fast sums of wealth and how they do it is not like I don't think it's I think it's more than academic.
Speaker 5: I think the way we happ it is academic.
Speaker 3: But the what was interesting to me is the response, like it is absurd that Jeff Bezos's paper is writing a defensive of billionaires. And and what was interesting about the defense is they always land on celebrities like Taylor Swift and Seinfeld and and and people like well lego people and people that like, you know, nobody had to pee in a bottle for Taylor Swift to write the music, right, Like nobody had to sew sneakers with their little hands, right, So, like they do.
Speaker 4: See that documentary about the errorstore.
Speaker 6: Many how many children are working those gears, it seems like she had to be in a few bottles.
Speaker 3: Like but then so it's like, oh, because they really earned it, And what the the kind of underlying defense of it is like, well, Taylor Swift, by dint of talent, without exploitation, created more than a billion dollars worth of value, and like, I think I largely agree with that, but where I kind of what they they are talking past the deeper argument, which is a system in which one person can accrue all that wealth, Like even Taylor Swift, like she's protected by intellectual property law. She's been able to take her vehicles on the roads and all the rest. And it's not about like like the righteousness or the morality to me, Like, that's just not what I care about.
Speaker 5: I think it matters a lot in politics.
Speaker 3: It's like a system in which those benefits accrue so much is both wrong on the front end and the back end, the incentive structure and power structure of the economy, and then the tax structure on the back end. And so whether billionaires should or should not exist, if a lot of them do, it is because of something is fundamentally broken in the system and they have the ability to exploit that wealth that has kind of also wrecked our politics. And like that to me is what makes it worth having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And for me that brings us to like, all right, so what are the policy considerations here? What are we going to what rules and laws are we going to put into place to make sure that the system is more fair?
Speaker 2: How do we tax wealth?
Speaker 4: That repax wealth?
Speaker 1: And it goes into regulations and lobbyings and and other corruption stuff as well, right, there's all that. And I also think I think about Ruben Diego and what he would always say after the twenty twenty four election is that Democrats with Latino voters failed the big ass truck test and that people people in this country want to be rich. Working class people want to be rich. And do they all want to be billionaires or do they think they billionaires? No, but they want to be wealthy. And what they just want is to like have a you know, fair playing field, whatever you want to call it, whatever cliche you want to bring out. But like people want to make a lot of money, and they also want to make sure that people who are absurdly rich like pay their fair share and taxes and don't have more power and influence than everyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and but I think like Democrats end up focusing on the tax side of it and not as much on like the deeper kind of like structures that mean individuals, like whether they have whether they have a union or not, whether they have other protections like let's say, non competes and things like that, all of which like kind of mean and as like more like all the productivity gains are sort of going up to the top which means the individual has less negotiating and bargaining power than they used to and their dollar doesn't go as far because of all of our failures across like housing and all the rest. And to me, like those are the questions that I think democrats struggle the most to answer. We have the least compelling answer on like upriver from the taxes.
Speaker 1: One last thing we have to talk about gas prices maybe four to fifty a gallon. But Transportation Secretary and Road Rules All Stars veteran Sean Duffy really wants you to get out and take a road trip, so much so that he and his wife and nine children have been apparently doing their own road trip over the last several months, which they've documented in a Gazi documentary series premiering soon on YouTube. Duffy's wife, Fox News host and fellow Real World and Road Rule star Rachel Campos Duffy That's where they met, described the project as really wholesome, good family stuff. That's an antidote to the quote porn Hub world, we're living in.
Speaker 2: The fuck kind of road trip to Chigos.
Speaker 1: Well, she was on Real World rot real. I can never say Real World Road Rules challenge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, here's a here's a clip.
Speaker 2: What a beautiful family.
Speaker 3: Hi is Jessy Adam, mister president, Yes, out of the President Trump.
Speaker 1: We're inviting you along with our family on the Great American road Trip.
Speaker 5: The Duffies. They've got tons of kids. Let mean, they have like eleven kids, nine and something?
Speaker 2: Is there a difference.
Speaker 4: Before kid Rock became kid Rock? You're traveling all the country.
Speaker 11: You're earlier basically an aerostar van.
Speaker 4: Dad's real world house. If I never lived in this house, none of you would be here. Was that that looks so boring? Was that antidote to porn? Hubbard?
Speaker 6: No, uh well, I mean you got a lot of kids, so something's working, all right.
Speaker 10: That's a that's so many. First of all, you can't road trip with nine kids. What are we drive in as a school bus? Because that looked like a little car, so we was leaving them behind it. A lot of also bullshit that they're really driving around the country. They're flying places and then driving around and filming it. Right, we assume you think of the moon that he was fake.
Speaker 1: No, you might be wondering who paid for this massive boondoggle? Five oh one C four called the Great American road Trip, Inc. Which says it fully funds its own efforts to celebrate and share America's story, and whose sponsors happened to be industries with a business in front of the Department of Transportation.
Speaker 4: So that's how cool.
Speaker 1: And the department later confirmed the tax payer dollars paid for the secretary's travel to a bunch of the stops, but not his families. And the whole thing is official business anyway, because he's the Transportation secretary and he was doing some transportation there.
Speaker 2: I guess your job is driving. Dude.
Speaker 10: Remember when the planes were all crashing and like Sean Duffy was the guy who's going to fix it.
Speaker 2: I just watched a guy get hit on the runway in Denver the other day. I don't know, maybe don't road trip around so much.
Speaker 4: Look, you know this, first of all, this would bug me less if a they didn't have a bunch of sponsors who have business in front of the Department of Transportation.
Speaker 1: That's what they were Democrats, right, John Well, No, I was gonna say, I was actually gonna says, you know, you know who fucking wouldn't stop talking about Pete Bootage Edge and criticizing Pete and Chasten Rachel Campos stuffy when they spent two months. When Pete took two months Fortny leave because the twins were in the nick you yea, and she criticized him for that, and so it's.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, and now now you're going to go do this.
Speaker 10: It's crazy to film a seven month reality They said that he like popped in for a day here and a jay to like whatever if he wants to do it on his days off.
Speaker 4: It's none of these people are fucking doing a good job anyway. In the cabinet. It's all a grift.
Speaker 3: One guy, Sean, Yeah, he's one guy where it's like, dude, like you got like real legitimate ongoing like management problems at your department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if and if butt Rocket Duffy can't fix it, who can?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: That's what his nickname was in the in the real world.
Speaker 2: But Rocket, why was it that?
Speaker 1: Because he would run around the house streaking and mooning people.
Speaker 4: There's there's there's.
Speaker 2: There's a rocket.
Speaker 1: I remember he did a front moon I think too out a window in one of the episodes.
Speaker 2: But this is on the.
Speaker 4: Rachel Rachel was Yeah, Rachel Camposlawton is a pretty good series.
Speaker 5: There's so much him, his youth.
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's too much reality TV.
Speaker 4: But Rocket's a great name.
Speaker 10: But Rocket Trump Sean Duffy, fuck Spencer Pratt torturing us in the mayoral race here like all these annoying reality people just popping back up and ruining the twenty.
Speaker 3: Six Seawn Duffy, I defended you as one of the lesser offenses in terms of the actual cabinet performance so far, and that remains the case.
Speaker 2: But rough is tough.
Speaker 3: I also look as a rule, like if someone's producing their own reality show, it's just more boring.
Speaker 5: That's just how it goes.
Speaker 3: You got the only reality shows like, oh it's wholesome. What do you think That's why people go to bravokon. No, they want to watch these bitches throw shit, you know.
Speaker 2: And get into He was also a lumberjack. Yeah, we're gonna chop some wood. That's part of the thing.
Speaker 5: He was a lumberjack.
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't know that that was a part of the real world Boston thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, huh, that's right. That was his that was his shtick. That that butt rocket.
Speaker 2: I don't remember butt rockets.
Speaker 4: I send you the video I was going.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought that was an old joke that was going to be like I've said it too many times.
Speaker 10: Also flagging that he was briefly NASA administrator. He has remember that, I wanted to keep the job.
Speaker 5: Let's get some other rockets up there.
Speaker 3: You know, he's got the expertise, he has a history, he's worked with He's worked with all kinds of rockets.
Speaker 4: Anyway, is that it. That's it. That's our show for today. Everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was a gusher of a show. Dan and I are going to be back with the new show on Friday, so I want to check that out.
Speaker 5: I think we're starting. This is a new ending.
Speaker 3: There's a new end segment of Potsive America. I want to apologize for calling Kevin.
Speaker 2: Do some awoke.
Speaker 3: I want to apologize for suggesting that removing the gas tax would cause Chuck Chamber to come. I think I regret saying that. We're applying it now I read saying it.
Speaker 4: It was ass rocket.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Oh, well.
Speaker 4: Same thing. I was just being family friendly to pick up uh huh like me.
Speaker 5: You know, real rump rocket.
Speaker 3: And something that's something different. Speaking of Tim Cooko and a China What Fuck and the show We're out.
Speaker 4: Credits Potsive America is a crooked media production.
Speaker 1: Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groate, Ben Hethcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlottelandis Krol pel Avieve, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East