Speaker 1: You know, we use this digital world every single day, streaming movies, sending instant messages, even just finding our way with a quick search on our phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's completely woven into our lives.
Speaker 1: But how often do we actually stop and think about the intricate architecture underneath it, all the stuff you don't see.
Speaker 2: Not often enough, probably.
Speaker 1: So today we're doing a deep dive into exactly the fascinating foundations of computer networks. They're really the backbone of our digital lives, right, and.
Speaker 2: Our mission here really is to unpack the core ideas that power everything you do online. We want you to get not just what makes networks tick, but why they were built that way and some of.
Speaker 1: The ingenious solutions engineers came up with for well some pretty surprising problems.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We're digging into the key insights, basically giving you a shortcut to being genuinely well informed on this.
Speaker 1: And our guide for this is a really foundational book, Computer Networks Global Edition by Andrew Tannenbaum and Nick Fiemester. So get ready for some surprise facts, maybe a few aha moments along the way. Okay, let's start by looking back a bit. This idea of computers being networked. That wasn't always the case, was it. Early computers were just these huge isolated machines.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely. For the first couple of decades, computer systems were like highly centralized, usually stuck in a single room up and behind glass windows. You know, visitors would just sort of gawk at the great electronic wonder inside. The idea that you could have vastly more powerful computers smaller than a postage stamp pure science fiction back then.
Speaker 1: That changed pretty fast, though. What was the main driver? What pushed us from those isolated giants towards you know, global conversations, especially the personal media stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, it really boiled down to person to person communication That became the big thing for the twenty first century, kind of like the telephone was for the nineteenth Ah, think about email. It just exploded, right and pretty quickly it started pulling in audio and video too. Then you had instant messaging. Its roots actually go way back to a nineteen seventies Unix program.
Speaker 1: Called talk Wow the seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, allowing real time text chat. And then came things like Twitter, you know, multi person services for short messages, even video to your friends or well, the entire world.
Speaker 1: And with everyone adopting this, totally new uses popped up, didn't they. Mobile phones becoming central to.
Speaker 2: Commerce, exactly, using texts to pay for stuff snacks from a vending machine, movie tickets and the charge just shows up on your phone.
Speaker 1: Bill or NFC nearfield communication, just tapping your phone to pay right.
Speaker 2: Acting like an RFID smart card. And it was good for both sides. Stores saved on credit card fees.
Speaker 1: And customers got convenience but also power right like price checking competitors right there in the.
Speaker 2: Store precisely, or seeing where else you could buy that item nearby, maybe cheaper. That kind of instant information access changed things.
Speaker 1: And the uses for mobile and wireless just keep expanding, sometimes in ways nobody really predicted. Yeah, like sensor networks in cars, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: That's a fascinating area. Cars gathering data on location, speed, vibration, how much fuel you're using, uploading it all.
Speaker 1: So what do they do with that data?
Speaker 2: Well, it can help map out potholes across a whole city, plan roots to avoid traffic jams based on real time conditions, or even get this, tell you if you're a gas guzzler compared to other people driving the same road.
Speaker 1: Huh, that's quite specific. It's a whole new level of data insight. Really, it really is so okay, with all this complexity, this massive growth, how on earth do engineers even start designing and managing these huge networks. You can't just lump it all together, surely.
Speaker 2: No, you definitely can't. And the elegant solution they came up with is called layering. It's fundamental layering, Yeah, to make the design manageable. Most networks are organized as a stack of layers or levels. Each one is built on top of the one below it, and the key idea, the genius of it, is that each layer offers specific services to the layer above it, while hiding all the messy details of how it actually provides those services.
Speaker 1: So each layer doesn't need to know the inner workings of the others exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like each layer is a kind of virtual machine just serving the layer directly above it.
Speaker 1: So it's sort of like sending a package overseas. Is that a fair analogy?
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Yeah, think about it. One layer, maybe the application prepares the contents. Another layer, like transport, packages it up securely, puts the address on. Then maybe a network layer handles the customs forms, the cross border stuff, gotcha. And finally, the physical layer is what actually moves the box across the ocean or through the air. Each step has its own rules, its own job, and it doesn't need to know the nitty gritty of the other steps.
Speaker 1: And below that lowest layer, that's the actual wires.
Speaker 2: Or airwaves precisely, that's the physical medium where the actual communication happens, the real transmission of signals.
Speaker 1: So how does this connect to the internet we use?
Speaker 2: This layering concept leads us straight to the TCPIP reference model. That's the actual architecture running the global network you're using right now. Okay, TCPIP, I've heard that its ancestor really was the Arpinent, a research network funded by the US Department of Defense, and it was designed right from the start to seamlessly connect multiple different networks together.
Speaker 1: Like connecting networks was the goal. Now here's something that surprised me from the book. Why TCPIP became the standard. It wasn't necessarily because it was the best theoretical model. There was another one OSI.
Speaker 2: That's a fascinating piece of history, isn't it. Yeah, the OSI model was a major contender, very thoroughly designed. But the book points out that one of the first implementations of TCPIP was part of Berkeley Unity X that was quite good and free, not to mention free, Yeah, exactly. That practical reality was huge. People started using it, improving it, building.
Speaker 1: On it, so it wasn't just theory, it was availability and usability pretty much.
Speaker 2: Early OSI implementations, the book notes, were off, huge, unwieldy, and slow, so people started associating OSI with poor quality. Fairly or unfairly. TCPIP just worked and its spread, so that.
Speaker 1: Layered approach, specifically tcpip's implementation. That's why my phone can talk to a server halfway across the world without breaking a sweat.
Speaker 2: That's the magic. Yes, your apps don't need to know about the fiber optic cables or the satellite links or the Wi Fi signals involved. The layers handle all that complexity underneath.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got this layered system. But let's go right down to the bottom that physical layer. How does the actual data the ones and next, how do they literally get from one device to another?
Speaker 2: Right? Good question. Down at the physical layer, you're dealing with the actual transmission media, and there's a real diversity there, each with its own characteristics and challenges.
Speaker 1: Like the wires the cables we actually see.
Speaker 2: Sometimes exactly for wired connections, you've got twisted pair cabling. Think of your standard Ethernet cable plugging into your computer or router. It's super common, widely used because it's cheap and the performance is adequate for shorter runs within a building or home hundreds of megabits per second easily.
Speaker 1: Then there's the cable that brings TV or Internet into the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coaxial coaxial pable. Yeah, it's got that solid core wire insulation than a braided shield. That structure gives it a good combination of high bandwidth and excellent noise immunity. It resists interference.
Speaker 1: Well, so it's tougher than twisted pair generally.
Speaker 2: Yes, it used to be used for long distance phone lines, but fiber optics mostly took over that role. Still, it's very common for cable TV and bringing Internet into homes metropolitan area networks.
Speaker 1: And then the really high speed stuff relies on fiber optics, right, sending light down glass threads.
Speaker 2: That's the one using light pulses through these ultra thin fibers of glass. It works because of a principle called total internal reflection, which basically traps the light inside the fiber, letting it travel long distances. And the potential bandwidth is just mind blowing. The book mentions figures in excess of fifty thousand gbps. That's fifty terabits per second.
Speaker 1: Fifty terabits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're apparently nowhere near reaching these limits. The current practical limits maybe around one hundred gbps per fiber, are more about how fast we can convert electricity to light and back again.
Speaker 1: Incredible. Okay, so that's wires and light. What about wireless through the air? Right?
Speaker 2: Wireless connections, You've got radio waves and different frequency bands behave differently lower frequencies vlf, LFMF. They pass through buildings easily, which is why your radio works indoors.
Speaker 1: But they don't carry much data, right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, low bandwidth for data transmission. Higher frequencies carry more data but might struggle with obstacles.
Speaker 1: And the main one we all use daily is Wi Fi eighth two point eleven.
Speaker 2: That's the dominant standard for wireless local networks. Yes, and it uses a system called csmcka carrier sense multiple access with collision avoidance, trying to prevent device is transmitting at the same time and causing.
Speaker 1: Collisions trying to avoid them.
Speaker 2: Does it always work well?
Speaker 1: That leads to a really interesting kind of counterintuitive issue, the hidden terminal problem.
Speaker 2: In terminal, okay, what's that match you.
Speaker 1: You have three laptops A, B, and C. Laptop A and laptop C are too far apart. They can't hear each other's radio signals.
Speaker 2: Okay at a range, but laptop B is in the metal within range of both A and C. Now suppose A wants to send data to B. It listens, here's nothing, and starts transmitting. Makes sense, But C also wants to send to B. C listens, doesn't hear A because A is hidden from it, thinks the coast is clear, and also starts transmitting to B.
Speaker 1: Uh. Oh, so B gets signals from both A and C at the same.
Speaker 2: Time exactly, A collision happens at B and probably neither transmission gets through. Queenly, A and C didn't know about each other, but they interfered with each other at the receiver.
Speaker 1: Huh. That is tricky. So how do they fix that? You can't just hope it doesn't happen, right.
Speaker 2: Wi Fi has an optional mechanism called RTSC tests request to send clear descent RTSCTS. Okay, so laptop A, before sending its big chunk of data to B, first sends a very short RTS frame to B requesting to send got it. If B here's that and is ready, it broadcasts back a short CTS frame clear descent. Now here's the clever part. Laptop C can hear B. So when B sends a CTS, oh see, here's the clear descend meant for A, and knows someone is about to transmit to B, even if it couldn't hear the original request from A. Precisely, the CTS acts like a do not disturb sign for anyone within d's range. C virtually senses the channel is busy and holds off its transmission, avoiding the collision.
Speaker 1: That's really clever, using the central node B to signal everyone else. It's amazing that different techniques needed just for the physical layer, isn't it wires, light, radio waves avoiding hidden collisions.
Speaker 2: It's a whole world of specialized engineering just to get those bits reliably from one point to another.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got bits moving physically. But we mentioned packets earlier. How does a packet of data send from my phone navigate the entire Internet, potentially crossing dozens of networks to find one specific server somewhere else. That seems like a huge challenge.
Speaker 2: It is, and that's where the Internet Protocol or IP, really comes into its own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, p addresses, right.
Speaker 2: IP addresses are part of it. Yes, IP provides the fundamental addressing and routing mechanism. It offers a best effort and that's a key term, best effort way to transport packets from source to destination.
Speaker 1: Best effort meaning it tries, but no promises pretty much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It doesn't guarantee delivery or order or protect against errors. Its main job is to get the packet towards the destination hop by hop across different networks, without needing to know the specifics of those networks. It's the universal translator in a way.
Speaker 1: We mostly use IPv four addresses, those familiar numbers.
Speaker 2: Correct the thirty two bit addresses, but as you probably know, we've basically run out of them. It's like running out of phone numbers for the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard about that. So this polution is IPv six.
Speaker 2: IPv six, Yes, with its massive one hundred and twenty eight bit addresses, the address space is practically infinite for the foreseeable future. It's actually been an official Internet standard since nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety eight, but we're still mostly on IPv four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, adoption has been slower than expected. The book says itv six is deployed and used in only about twenty five percent of the Internet. Even now. Inertia is a powerful thing, and.
Speaker 1: That scarcity of the old IPv four addresses, it's actually created like a market for them. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, get this. The book mentions each IPv four address is now worth as much as nineteen dollars.
Speaker 1: Nineteen dollars for a single IP address yep.
Speaker 2: And it even cites a case in twenty nineteen where a man was convicted for illegally stockpiling seven hundred and fifty thousand IP addresses, worth about fourteen million dollars at the time, and selling them on the black market.
Speaker 1: Wow, that really shows the tangible value of these abstract numbers that run the Internet.
Speaker 2: It definitely does.
Speaker 1: But back to best effort. If IP doesn't guarantee delivery. How do we handle things where reliability is crucial, like checking my bank balance or a video call where I need things in order. Lost packets would be bad, right.
Speaker 2: You need something on top of IP to provide that reliability. And that's what the Transmission control Protocol or TCP comes in.
Speaker 1: TCP, okay, works with IP.
Speaker 2: Exactly, TCPIP they work as a pair. TCP is connection oriented. Think of it like making a phone call house. You first establish a connection like dialing and the other person picking up. Then you exchange your data over that established connection. Then you explicitly release the connection hanging up.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a setup and tear down.
Speaker 2: Yes, And during that connection, TCP works hard to create a reliable ordered byte stream. If IP drops a packet, PCP notices and retransmits it. If packets arrive out of order, TCP puts them back in the right sequence before handing them up to the application.
Speaker 1: So it fixes the best effort problems of IP.
Speaker 2: It does. It also handles flow control, making sure a fact sender doesn't overwhelm a slow receiver, and congestion control trying to prevent the network itself from getting overloaded.
Speaker 1: It's quite sophisticated, but not everything uses TCP. Right, There's another one, UDP, correct.
Speaker 2: User Data Ground Protocol or UDP. It's the lightweight alternative. It's connectionless, no setup or tear down needed, so it just sends pretty much. UDP does almost nothing beyond sending packets between applications. As the book puts it, it relies on ip's best effort delivery and doesn't add reliability, ordering or flow control itself.
Speaker 1: Why would you want that? Less reliable sounds.
Speaker 2: Bad because it's faster, no connection set up overhead, no waiting for acknowledgments or retransmissions. For things like say online gaming or streaming live video or audio, speed is often more critical than perfect reliability.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, If a single frame of video drops in a stream, it's maybe a slight glitch, but the stream continues. Waiting for a retransmission might cause a long freeze, which is worse exactly.
Speaker 2: The application itself might handle some level of error correction or just tolerate minor losses. So UDP is perfect for those kinds of real time applications.
Speaker 1: So that combination IP for the basic addressing and routing, then TCP for reliability when you need it and UDP for speed. When that's the priority that covers a huge range of.
Speaker 2: Uses, it's an incredibly flexible and powerful combination. It really is the invisible glue holding our incredibly diverse digital world together, allowing everything from secure banking to watching cat videos.
Speaker 1: Okay, so all these layers, all these protocols, they eventually enable the applications we actually use every day, often without giving the underlying tech a second thought.
Speaker 2: Like the Worldwide Web, absolutely tim berners Lee's invention. Now this vast worldwide collection of content, and you have organizations like the W three C, the Worldwide Web Consortium, working to develop standards and protocols so it all hopefully works together, and our.
Speaker 1: Browsers are doing a lot of work behind the scenes fetching and displaying stuff. And it's not just static pages anymore.
Speaker 2: No, much of the web is highly dynamic, meaning programs running on servers generate web pages specifically for you based on your request or your profile. Think online shopping, social media feeds.
Speaker 1: Right, And none of that works without being able to find the server in the first place, which brings us to DNS, the domain name.
Speaker 2: System, crucial piece of the puzzle. When you type a website name like www dot example dot com. Your computer has no idea where that is. It needs the numerical IP address like a phone book for the Internet kind of yeah. DNS is described as a hierarchical naming scheme and a distributed database system. It translates those human friendly names into the IP addresses that routers actually understand. Without DNS, browsing would mean memorizing strings of numbers.
Speaker 1: No, definitely wouldn't have caught on as well. But this very openness, this interconnectedness that makes the Internet so powerful, it also creates big challenges, doesn't it, particularly around security and privacy.
Speaker 2: That's the double edged sword. Yes, the design facilitates community, but also potential misuse. One major issue highlighted is the distributed denial of service attack ds DS.
Speaker 1: What exactly is happening there?
Speaker 2: It's where attackers get many machines on the network, often compromise computers or devices to send traffic towards a victim machine in an attempt to exhaust its resources, flood the target so legitimate users can't get through.
Speaker 1: And where do these attacking machines come from? Traditionally it was hacked PCs.
Speaker 2: Right, Historically, yes, botnets of infected computers, But the book points out a major new vector the proliferation of insecure IoT devices Internet of things devices.
Speaker 1: Like smart light bulbs, security.
Speaker 2: Cameras, exactly, thermostats, appliances, anything connected to the Internet. And here's the really startling bit from the source material. Can a coordinated attack by a million Internet connected smart toasters take down Google?
Speaker 1: Seriously smart toasters?
Speaker 2: It sounds absurd, but the underlying point is serious. The book states, unfortunately that much of the IoT industry in particular is unconcerned with software security. They just want to ship cheap devices quickly, so they.
Speaker 1: Become easy targets to rope into these massive attacks.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and it leaves the network operators, the ISPs, and others trying to defend against potentially huge floods of traffic coming from these everyday insecure gadgets. It's a massive headache.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, beyond attacks, there's the privacy angle too. With everything connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, data collection is pervasive. As the book says, it is becoming increasingly easier for various parties to collect data about how each of us uses the.
Speaker 1: Network and who are these various parties.
Speaker 2: It's a long list, your internet service provider, your mobile phone carrier, applications, websites, cloud hosting services, content delivery networks, device manufacturers, advertisers, and web tracking software vendors. Basically almost everyone involved in delivering your online experience could be collecting data.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of potential watchers. Now, just to be really clear for our listeners, our aim here is just to explain the technology and the challenge and just discussed in the field as presented in our source. We're not taking a stance on the debates around data collection or IoT security ourselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, We're just unpacking the technical realities and the issues network engineers and researchers grapple with based on the text.
Speaker 1: So wrapping this section up, it feels like the digital age is this constant balancing act, incredible innovation and convenience on one side.
Speaker 2: And this ever present, always evolving need for security and privacy on the other, and it's all fundamentally shaped by the network architecture itself. It's a dynamic, ongoing tension.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, So when you.
Speaker 2: Really connect all these dots, the digital experiences you have every single day, that simple message you send, the complex movie you stream, they're all built on this incredibly complex, often invisible, but really clever foundation of network architecture.
Speaker 1: It really is invisible, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Mostly Yeah, From the actual physical cables carrying light pulses or the radio waves zipping through the air, all the way up to those abstract layers of software are the protocols organizing and directing everything. Engineers have solved just astounding problems to let us communicate globally at effectively light speed.
Speaker 1: So what's the takeaway for you, the listener? Maybe the next time you effortlessly send an email or stream that HD video or even just you know, check a price on your phone, like we talked.
Speaker 2: About, yeah, maybe take half a second, just take.
Speaker 1: A moment and appreciate that invisible symphony, the light, the electricity, the layers upon layers of carefully designed rules that make it all just work. It's a truly profound testament to human ingenuity.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: And it's a reminder too that even the technologies that feel totally commonplace now they hide this deep, fascinating world of constant innovation. Definitely, And maybe here's a final thought to leave you with, Building on some security principles mentioned in the book. Think about the principle of economy of mechanism, the idea that simpler systems generally have fewer bugs and fewer ways.
Speaker 2: To be attacked right keep it simple possible.
Speaker 1: And the principle of least authority, the idea that any component software or hardware should only have the absolute minimum permissions it needs to do its job, and no more limits.
Speaker 2: The damage if something goes wrong exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, consider how those principles might apply not just to network security, but maybe to other complex systems in your own life, your smart home set up, maybe your city's traffic light system, it's power grid.
Speaker 2: Interesting extension, how much.
Speaker 1: Do we really understand the unseen layers, the hidden rules and mechanisms that govern so much of modern life, And maybe more importantly, what responsibility do we have to try and understand them a little better? Something to think about