Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I said it before we watched Pat Kelsey's team play two games in the Bahamas, and I've said it afterwards, and I'll say it once more. It's impossible to really know what to take from it when it comes to the competition they played. I think you can still look at what you see as far as personnel, style of play, energy, enthusiasm. I mean, again, for me, all the things that I looked at this team on paper before I watched them play the oppos that were pretty obvious. Right, They've got a lot of They've got a lot of balance and depth, a lot of experience. They got some old dudes, guys that have played a lot of college basketball, versatility and shooting. All those things I think were confirmed as far as what we saw. Now again, who they did it against, you know, maybe when they play much tougher competition, when they get to the actual like you know, Game two for Pat Kelsey is against Tennessee, who's going to be a preseason top fifteen team, So clearly it'll be a different world in regards to competition when we get to that point. But I don't care about who they played with with the Bahamas Select and the Dinos and Calgary whatever it was. But if you are somebody that is trying to, you know, kind of determine as best you can what it means to beat a team from a Bahamas by you know, thirty forty, whatever it was. We do have some other teams that took the trip that played those same two teams, and their results were not quite as you know, not quite as impressive, not quite as dominant. In fact, the Rhode Island team that that that did the same same trip and played that Bahamas Select team, they won eighty nine to eighty one by eight points against the Bahamas UH Select. So I just, you know, I thought it's worth sharing. Again. I'm not saying, hey, well, that means louisvill beat him by the gazillion, seemingly in Rhode Island, and the A ten barely beat him, So that means Louis is going to be great. That's not at all what I'm saying, but it is I guess somewhat of a reference.
Speaker 3: That is Archie Miller's team, by the way, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, And they weren't. I don't think they were good last year.
Speaker 3: No, they've not been good in any of his years so far.
Speaker 2: What I mean, how did he.
Speaker 3: He was on fire at Dayton?
Speaker 2: Was he really good? Or was he really good and he just fell apart? Or was he somebody that probably was not as as influential in Dayton's success as people thought because he wasn't very good Indiana at all.
Speaker 4: No, he's I think you're you're correct. He just kind of rode some momentum that probably did not have a lot to.
Speaker 3: Do with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was there for six years, and he did go to an elite eight and around the thirty two, which you know for Dayton, is that considered to be like really good. Like I'm looking back now at his record at Dayton, and he was good. I mean even when they didn't win games in the tournament, he still was really good in the A ten. And he was a guy that I'll be honest, I was totally wrong when Archie Miller got the job at Indiana and Chris Mack got the job at Louisville, I felt like, all right, you really couldn't have done better, just because those were guys that were going to get that next spot at some point, meaning they were going to climb the ladder and coaching and they were going to be tested at a higher level. And you know, I still you know, you guys know I'm biased. I love Chris Mack and I think he's gonna do great at Charleston, and I think we'll see him at a bigger job at some point. But Mack, you know, he had some success right away and it all kind of fell apart, ended up not being as good of a fit for him and you know, for everybody involved. But with Archie Miller, he never really got it rolling in Indian His best season was in twenty twenty when there wasn't a tournament, and we'll never know, but they probably they made the tournament that year.
Speaker 3: There was talk that they would have been but they would.
Speaker 2: Have needed to win some big ten games or in the tournament, right, That's thing.
Speaker 4: They were nine and eleven in conference to play that year. So he he didn't really do enough. He could have maybe gotten into the play four, but it wouldn't have been anything to really write home about.
Speaker 2: So, like, I don't know, I find it fascinating to see coaches that at times feel like they're about to just completely explode on the scene as like stars of the sport, and it just never happens. Like we talked a lot about some of these coaches when Louisville, we knew it was going to have an opening, right, you know, Shaka Smart's one of those guys, Like I thought, Shaka Smart, you know, when he was at VCU and he took him to the final four, and they continue to be really good in their level at the at the A ten, everybody's just assumed this guy is going to be a rock star, and I remember screaming it at the top of my lungs. I'm not saying he's a terrible coach, but there is nothing you can point to other than his random final four that he had to play in to get in the tournament that says this guy is anything other than a below average coach. Like he failed at Texas miserably. He never won another tournament game after twenty thirteen, and honestly, he did get to the sweet sixteen for the first time since twenty eleven this past year at Marquette. But you know, I guess you really just never know. And we a lot of times with coaches. It's about like timing, Like, who knows, maybe if Archie Miller would, let's say, instead of hiring Instead of hiring Archie Miller, Indiana was able to pluck Tony Benning away from Virginia and Archie stayed at Indiana for I'm sorry a Dayton for another year and then he got the I don't know, he got a different job. He got the Illinois job or something, and who knows, maybe he would have. Like it's all about timing, opportunity, that kind of stuff. But to see that Archie Miller is still you know is I mean he's been terrible. I mean they went nine and twenty to his first year Rhode Island. Then last year they went twelve and twenty and six and twelve in league play. Like, he'll get one more year and if they're the same, if there's you know, if he's still winning thirty three percent of his games, he'll probably get canned. And like at that point, you gotta wonder where does he go? Does he go coach for Sean at Xavier as an assistant, like you just don't know. But anyways, it's five o'clock. It's the five o'clock hour, here in a Friday coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's appreciates you guys hanging out with us. Been a busy, busy show thus far today. And when it comes to the basketball stuff with the Bahamas, there's really no I don't even know if we're gonna get any more details because it's not a story that I think you're gonna see the biggest reporters that cover college sports, you know, traveling to George Mason to get the to get the inside scoop as to what happened. But it is just a bizarre and unfortunate situation that is starting to get more and more attention. That's the Bahama. These Bahamas trips, really, these trips abroad for these college basketball programs to go play some exhibition games in the summer super beneficial. I mean, I think Louisville really benefited from having those games last week, not only for those guys to get more playing time together to gel, but also for fans to get more excited about this upcoming season, the first season of the Pat Kelsey era. But George Mason, a school in the A ten, they planned to do the same thing, and they showed up to the airport to take off, while some of the Athletic Department staffers were already at the Bahamas at this resort, and alumni fans had already made their travel to be there to see the George Mason team play a couple of exhibition games, only for everybody to find out it's not happening. It's not real. Now I say it's not real. That's probably a little bit of an exaggeration if you're going off of the word of the of the dude who is accused of dropping the ball, so to speak. But this company who put together this event, they're like promoters and event planners. I mean, I'm sure there's a better way to describe, you know, the business that they're in. But you know, for Louisville, when they did their event in the Bahamas last week, there was a company BDG Global I think is the name, and you know, they're the ones who kind of facilitate this. They handle logistics, They arrange for the teams to show up that you play against. They are the communicators with the resort, like they really put it in place for you. And of course they do that as a business right they get paid for that. That's what they do. Well, this company who did it for George Mason, they claim that they put they that the only issue that they had was the company they hired to book the flights for the team didn't do it, and that teams were scheduled or teams were going to be there and the resort had, you know, had the rooms blocked off. And if that's the case, you got to wonder, like who's eating the bill on that? Right? Like, if you booked ru like, you're not gonna just they're not going to just let you get out of that booking you had for however many rooms at this resort in the Bahamas that they blocked off for you for this event, right like it would be maybe be a lot of money. So I just feel like there's got to be like somebody's up to no good here. I don't know who it is, because again I don't know the specifics about what's going on with this thing. And I'm sure I'm more fascinated with it than most, but man, like the silence from George Mason makes me feel like they're still trying to figure out what's going on before they release a statement on their end. Kind of explaining what happens, because even though they're not at fault, and I guess if they are fault for anything, it's just trusting this company. But for what I mean this, this same promotional group they put on like Thanksgiving events for back in college basketball. Like there's an event I think that takes place in Atlanta every year that has like four different teams, kind of like you know your typical non conference tournament event that you see around Thanksgiving time. They've been doing that for years and it's gone off without any trouble. So I think they had no reason to think that this group wasn't gonna be legit. But at the end of the day, like they've got fans and alum that have traveled to the Bahamas hoping to see this team play, and they're not even gonna be able to show up. So just a bizarre, bizarre story, no doubt. All right, So, uh, do you remember my story about Costco, John?
Speaker 3: I maybe?
Speaker 2: So, I can't remember if it was Costco or Sam's. Aren't they kind of the same.
Speaker 3: They're similar.
Speaker 4: Yes, you have to have like a membership to you Yeah, so, oh yeah, I know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 3: I remember that yeah.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: One of the most embarrassing things that ever happened to me is I walked into I think it was a Costco, not knowing that you had to have a membership card to get in, and somebody like tried to stop me as I walked through, and I'm thinking, like, it's somebody trying to sell me something, right, because you know, you can't go to Walmart now without somebody set up in the middle of of, you know, of an aisle trying to sell you a cable or something like. I don't know why they let people do that, but and that would be a really, really tough job, but that's what I thought it was. I just kept walking like, oh, okay, no thanks, and they followed tractor, they followed me, and I'm like, wow, they're really persistent and trying to get this sale. So finally they like tapped me on the shoulder and I was like, you can't be in here, like what, like you have a membership And I'm like to what He's like to Costco, like, no, well, you have to be a member here, And I was like, you have to be a member to even be in here, and they were like, yeah, that's how it works. So I had to do the walk of shame. What almost embarrassing nobody. I don't think anybody recognized me or knew what was going on, but man, it was an embarrassing walk to know that, Like, I was walked out of Costco for not being a member.
Speaker 3: Imagine if they would have like Cuffy or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it was a young kid who was just like dude, Like I mean, I'm sure he didn't want to be that guy, but hey, it's the job. You got to make sure the people who do come in here are paying the monthly or yearly membership fee to you know, be able to shop here. So anyway, there reason I'm bringing it up is because they're making some changes that has turned into something that a lot of people are complaining about on the internet. So they're implementing a new policy requiring members to scan their physical or digital membership cards at the entrance of all stores. So I guess beforehand, would you just like show it to somebody.
Speaker 3: I've never walked into what on my own head.
Speaker 2: You probably would have to just show it to somebody, And I guess you could probably just use someone's that's not yours, you know, Yeah, and like, now they're going to scan it because I'm sure there are people sharing memberships and maybe you're not allowed to do that. But it says here that the change aims to prevent unauthorized usage of Costco memberships and is expected to be rolled out in the coming months. Members will need to hold their barcode or QR code up to the scanner before entering the store. And I'm curious if this will lead to more people wanting to sign up for more people being bothered by it. But what like what makes those stores so popular? And I maybe they're not so popular, but I do feel like they have clearly they're doing good enough in business. And I feel like the people who do have memberships and go, I feel like they really love that love those places.
Speaker 4: You can get a lot of things in bulk for cheap, but who think is.
Speaker 1: What it is? Like? Who?
Speaker 2: Like? You know, I can't think of any time I've ever needed something in like mass bulk.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm with you on that. I know my parents love to get stuff from Sam's. I think they get like toilet paper and stuff from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess if you can get a good deal and you get a bunch of it, and you know it's something that you'll always need, then you know makes sense. But I just to me like, I don't. I'm not wired to think, well, hey, I'm gonna always need bush Lights, so let me go buy eight hundred cans of it at Costco.
Speaker 3: That way, you know, they became the exclusive distributor.
Speaker 2: Of bush Light, and then I'd get a membership because that's that's what I need. I need my bush Light.
Speaker 4: I know you're probably not wanting to go down this road, but do you remember when the person followed you out of a store in Hellview to a pizza place?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I'm still remember when everybody tried to give me to sue. Yes, I ended up not having the I couldn't take myself serious when it comes to like a contacting an attorney to like, you know, see if I had a case, because I wasn't a victim, I wasn't wrong, nothing happened to me. We had people calling in if you remember, And then there was an actual attorney who emailed me and was like called me and I ended up reaching out to him, and I'm like, yeah, I can't take myself seriously when it comes to this kind of stuff. But yeah, for those who don't remember that story, I did a self checkout at this at this grocery store. I got like four or five items, and I left the grocery store, and then I went to Little Caesar's to pick up a pizza that we'd order. And I got out of the car at Little Caesar's and somebody had drove over from the grocery store and blocked me in, and like when I opened my door, I couldn't even open it all the way. And this guy, this billy badass who pushed carts at the grocery store, was telling me that I didn't that I need to come back to the store because I didn't pay, and I was so starved. I was so surprised in like, what the hell's going on to where Like I wasn't angry, But the more I talked to the guy, the more angry I got, because I'm realizing, first of all, I didn't steal anything. I have a receipt I paid here it is and I didn't even have to show him that. But he's not lost prevention. He's not law enforcement. And even if he was lost prevention, I mean he probably could have been fired for leaving the property and following me to a different business and then walking in because after I told him, like, I paid, I have a receipt, and then I walked into the Little Caesars and then he walked in there behind me and was like, you need to come back and pay, and I'm like, look, dude, I don't need to do anything. You need to get the hell out of here and leave me alone. I didn't steal anything. And they said, well, they said it was you, and I'm like, I don't care what they said. And finally I did show him my receipt, more so just because I wanted him to look. I wanted him to feel like a fool, which is kind of mean. But through this guy at that piece, right you yeah, well, and to me, I I he's an older guy, and I do genuinely believe he was just doing what somebody told him to do, and you know, sure enough, like he was wrong, and he wasn't like he wouldn't like threatening to call the cops or beat me up. He literally just seemed like somebody who was gonna do whatever they told him to do. It that at his employment place of employment. So he showed up and was just like, you know, hey, you need to come back, you need to come back. And he didn't. He didn't take no for an answer, like he just assumed, well, no, they said he didn't pay, so he didn't pay. And finally I was like, look, here's the receipt. I bought four items. Here it is, and he he kind of did a little bit of a walk of shame. And I remember once I got my pizza and I got back in the car and I kind of I kind of cooled down, and then I got really hot again and I called him his first time I've ever called a place a business, like after I you know, went there to give the you know, to get to you know, I wouldn't call it service, but you know, I went there and shopped, and it was the first time I was like, I felt like a care but I felt like it justified Karen because I had a right. So this lady answered, and she was so rude, so disrespect She's just such a I mean, she was a bum. And you know, I was like, can I speak to your manager? Somebody just chased me down who worked there, quite literally chased me to a different business, walked in and accused me of stealing when I didn't. And I don't know why that happened or how that happened, but I'd like to talk to somebody about it. And she put the phone down, but didn't like put me on hold, so like I could hear some guys on the phone saying so then I'm getting more hot. So then this seemingly a young person like somebody probably in their mid twenties managing this place. I explained what happened, and the sigh, the silence, and the inability to really speak, I think kind of made it clear to me that this guy knew they really messed up, because it was probably that dumb ass lady who told that old guy, hey, go chase him down, and he just did it because he didn't know any better. And the manager wasn't around and was like they did what? And I'm like, yeah, I'm sitting in front of Little Caesars and this dude comes over and like blocks me in with his car. I tell him you got the wrong guy. I paid walk in. He follows me in and it tells me I have to come back, and he was like, you know do you want? Like I am so sorry? What can we do? What can we do? And I'm like, I don't know if there's anything you can do. I mean, I just think you should know that that happened. And that's like that can't be normal, can it? And he was like far from normal. I think he didn't. I think in order for me to get like some kind of I don't know, like a gift card or something for my inconvenience or something, for that to happen, he probably would have to move it up the ladder within the company, right, and by doing that they would then know what happened. And I think it was so he was just like like please please, Like he wasn't begging me to not do anything. He was just saying, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. Please please understand, Please understand, this is not this is nothing we should have ever is. This doesn't happen very ong often, It'll never happen again yet, Yeah, And I'm just like all right. And then I talked about it on the show the next day, and I could not believe how many people reached out to one say, you got a lawsuit, it's like stop loss law or something that that that you know, and I remember googling it, and sure enough, it is a thing like if you get if you are accused of shoplifting, and it's one thing to like have your receipt check, but if you're you're truly accused, and especially if they follow you off the property, like I guess technically you could have some kind of a case. But again it comes down to this, what am I out of? Like what what am I? I mean? I was embarrassed, I was angry, but like I don't have any loss here. I didn't lose money, you know what I mean, Like it was it's what it turned into. But yeah, uh I forgot all about that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that's what I thought of.
Speaker 2: It's a good story. Yeah, I guess I just have a look, I might as well just like put it on my forehead that I'm a thief and I'm a and I'm a you know, I'm a criminal or something, because I've had a lot of run ins where I'm accused of doing things that like I wouldn't even have the balls to do, like you know what I mean, not because like it's some break I just you know, I would I have such a fear of getting in trouble with the law. I would never I would never do anything, even if it's minor, to like risk it. So yeah, I mean anybody who only my close friends and family, my wife especially, can can confirm this. But when we go to like Cancun or Riviera Maya, Mexico, and you're like out in the touristy area, like there's a ton of people that are just roaming around, a lot of people from other countries, Canada and the United States that are there for vacation. And obviously there you're gonna be bombarded by people trying to sell you stuff at every turn. But they'll be a group of thirty people, all different groups, right, like you know, family of four, group of ten people that are friends, and like I'm the one that gets singled out, like I've got it written on my forehead that I want to buy drugs in Mexico. For some reason, happen in New Orleans as well. I don't know why. We're walking down Bourbon Street and you know a lot of people having a good time. It's New Year's Eve, Louisville's playing in the Sugar Bowl. I mean, we're talking about packed and I just get spotted like, hey, yay, you look like you might need something, you know, and I'm like, no, I'm good, and they always got a response, Oh but you could be better. Let me show you what I got, Like, I look like somebody who wants to buy drugs and I've never done a drug in my life other than you know, things that i'm that are legal. So anyways, all right, So I got some criticism from my comments about Deon Sanders from a couple of different people on the text line, which is fine, Like, if you want Deon Sanders to be good, that's fine. If you are a fan of Deon Sanders in Colorado, cool, don't care. What I'm saying is that they've never he hasn't done anything as a coach, and for him to act the way that he acts. I just feel like it's an open invitation for people to hammer you with criticism when you carry yourself as the elite of the elite when you have actually done nothing. That's my whole thing, Like I'm not at I guess I am a but I feel like in a way, the hate I shouldn't say is justified. But again, I talked about this the other day. I think it's almost human nature for a lot of people to want to be able to humble people when they are entitled, arrogant with nothing to show, and then when they don't deliver on what they say. Deon Sanders was on the I think he was part of the coverage of the college football playoff in some capacity, and he said, there's no there's no ifans, but there's no questions we're gonna be in the playoff next year. First of all, no coach would say that and set themselves up for that kind of pressure and expectation because that's a tall task, especially when you're coming off of a four win season. But he does it because it's prime and I just I'm a little annoyed that because of just him being the way he is. And again, if anything, I'll give him credit for being consistent and being you know, original. I guess like he is who he is and has always been that way, and I can back that, but you can't be sensitive to criticism like he is clearly and his fans are clearly whenever you act that way and you don't deliver. So, for those who missed it, he was asked a question at his press conference. I assume it media day, and this is how it went.
Speaker 5: That's the end of that question.
Speaker 1: I guess next guy, Eric Kristenson with CBS Sports Colorado Tyler.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing none with CBS. Next question. It's above that. You got none to do with you. I got love for you, I appreciate, respect you, and got none to do with you. They know what they did.
Speaker 3: I'm here at Denver, not National.
Speaker 5: You are who you are, CBS, the CBS, all right, I respect you, just why I told you that. I'm looking at you and now as a man, I respect you. I got love for you. But what they did was foul.
Speaker 2: So what they did was foul. Like what CBS did was they have one of their college football writers, I think his name is David Cobb. He ranked the Big twelve coaches for the upcoming season, like some power rankings for coaches, and he had Deon Sanders fifteen out of sixteen. This isn't ranking Deon Sanders as a player, as an all time athlete, as an entertainer, as a hype machine. This is ranking coaches and Deon Sanders has not done anything in the Power five level of college football that warrants him to be any higher than fifteen out of sixteen. In fact, if you put him at sixteenth, I don't think that's outrageous because again he's won four games, and you know he actually and this what's crazy. He replaced his whole team last year, right like it was a new team. But he also had some of the most talented guys in the country according to just about everybody. So like, in a way, you could actually claim that, like it's not really an excuse to win four games. Whenever you go out and you know, bring in your son, bring in the kid from Travis Hunter from Jackson State that followed you, who, by the way, chose to go to Jackson State when he could have gone to any school in the country. So I'm not I mean, if he wins this year and they're good, then he'll get credit and it'll be deserved. But usually people don't feel that entitlement to credit and praise when they've not done a damn thing. It could be different if he hadn't coached yet he did coach last year. Last year counted it mattered and they sucked, all right, don't go anywhere it's Cofee and Company or Phil Beth Thornton's on sports talk seven ninety seek again, right, it is just giving me my JC Chavez fix. I think that's what you're doing today. And I'm not complaining about it. I'm not complaining about it, all right. So this is something I found to be, uh what I'm first of all, I'm jealous that I didn't, you know, come up with this idea. But shout out to a guy named Jeremy Etchy because he has the trademark and the domain name Harris Walls dot com. So that, of course is Kamila Harris and her vice president running mate Walls, who of course has been talked about quite a bit in the last week or so. And I don't bring this up to talk politics or anything like that, but domain flipping and domain hustling can be such a lucrative thing if you can get in on domains that you expect to eventually be really like no brainers for certain industries and businesses and you're the first to do it. So in twenty twenty, he purchased Harris Walls dot com for eight dollars and ninety nine cents, And that was when then Senator Kamala Harris was trying to secure the Democratic nomination for president. Quote this is from the man who bought it. Quote. I just tried to grab her name and all the heartland governors I could think of, he told the AP. He says he's willing to sell it for fifteen thousand dollars, which is how much he sold clinton kine dot com for after Hillary Hillary Clinton picked Senator Tim Kaine as her running mate in twenty sixteen and domain he'd purchased an twenty eleven. That sale turned out to have an unexpected outcome. The Clinton campaign declined to buy it, so it was snapped up by a digital marketing company that turned out to be owned by Donald Trump's campaign, who used it to publish anti Clinton news. So this is a guy who's clearly savvy when it comes to that with the political stuff. And I mean, I would say, of all the different industries that will have checkbooks open, by the way, can we retire, like open up the check like who's writing checks this day and age? Like it's I mean, they'll open up the venmo, right, they'll they'll initiate the wire transfer like nobody's buying anything with a check, are they? At least I don't think so. But anyways, like political campaigns, like they'll they'll find the money to pay for whatever they need because it's that important to them and the people who support them in from their campaign, like they usually have deep, deep pockets. But I find it just interesting to see people who've become at some point filthy rich because they snapped up a domain before somebody else wanted it. I'm looking here at SEO dot com search into optimization. They're telling you, although they've got a rundown of the most expensive domains ever, and the most expensive one according to this is business dot com. Apparently. Yeah, a single domain name sold for almost half a billion dollars in two thousand and seven, for three hundred and forty five million dollars. I mean, that is absurd. So the domain was originally purchased in nineteen ninety nine, right in the middle of the dot com boom, for a hefty seven point five million. So that's somebody who made a big investment on that domain. I mean, you got seven point five million dollars in nineteen ninety nine to buy something that you really the Internet was young then, right, you didn't even really know what it's gonna turn into. If you're ever gonna have flip a profit. Those aren't the stories that I find to be as fascinating. I love the stories of people who just are you know, hey, I'm gonna go buy that domain. I'm gonna own it because at some point that could be something that somebody wants to have. Apparently there's a lot of crypto ones out there, but ai dot com was sold to chat GPT for thirty million dollars at some point. Yacht yachts dot com like yacht you know, like the boats. I'm just going to the website now to see what it doesn't even give me anything, is it? Did it already shut down or did somebody give the wrong url here? But it was bought for three hundred and fifty thousand sold for six hundred k. So again, those are hefty prices for purchase, but you clearly do turn a profit and make a lot of money.
Speaker 4: Did you see what the current website layout is for Harris Walls dot com. No, it's just a green background with in black lettering walls.
Speaker 3: It's all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like usually that's that's yeah, that makes to I mean that I would have expected to look a little better than what I'm seeing. Here, but it's usually they'll be like for sale, contact this, like they're I'm sure it's a it's a business to where you just snatch up as many domains as you can and if somebody's looking to see if it's available, they'll then go to that domain and see that it's not available, and if they see somebody they can reach out to to get it, they'll they'll have to pay for it. So I know there was a college basketball website. Could be wrong about how I'm remembering this, but college Basketball Talk was part of NBC's like college sports website coverage. Like there was college football Talk, there was college basketball Talk, and they had writers, and that's where Rob Douster actually got to start and did that for quite quite some time for NBC before he ended up they shut down, and then he ended up launching Field of sixty eight. But anyways, I believe they were able to get around. I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure somebody owned the domain, but they didn't copyright it. So NBC Sports just made it to where if you go to NBC dot college basketball dot com or college basketball Talk dot com, you would then get there. But if you just or if you just went to straight college basketball talk dot com the website, it would take you to the guy who owned it that was trying to sell it, and they kind of had a way around it. And I think, again, maybe I'm just dreaming that this happened. But they tried to sue saying, hey, no, we own that. Well, you didn't own the trademark. You just own the domain, so you couldn't claim that College Basketball Talk part of NBC was infringement, Like you didn't known that. You just own the domain. You didn't own like the trademark for it. But I'm just trying to think of other websites that, like, people have gotten rich on because they realized, hey, if you you know, and sometimes people will buy them from somebody and then wait and like, hey, I'll go ahead and give this gout twenty K for it because I got the money and I'm I'm banking on in I don't know, ten years, it'll be worth way more because of something I expect to happen, and that's when I'll really make my profit. What's the domain for your the website you're working for.
Speaker 3: Who's your illustrated dot com?
Speaker 2: I'm curious if that was available because you know that that's such, that's a I mean, again, Hoosier is a unique thing. It's just I mean, when somebody says Hoosier, could it be interpreted for anything other than Indiana? Like, I have never heard the word Hoosier for anything other than I you if you know, so maybe it wouldn't be that surprising to see that it was available because again, but like card like my website that I had, Cardinal Connect, Like a lot of people just called it the card Connect because that was my Twitter handle, or they just called the website cardinal Connect, but the domain was the cardinal Connect. I had to put the thaugh in there because cardinalconnect dot Com or cardconnect dot com was already was already taken. In fact, cardconnect dot Com was some kind of like website where you can reference the best interest rates within credit cards, which makes total sense, right, that's a that's a fitting name for that kind of thing. I don't remember what the card connect or cardinal Connect was to where I couldn't get it, but yeah, anyways, I wish I could somehow think of a quick idea that takes little effort to where I'm like, you know what, I just became a millionaire. I just became filthy rich because of that. But you know it didn't really work that way. All right, real quick, before we get to our last break, I've got something here from Reddit that I want to share with you guys. It's a list of what people are calling morally questionable life hacks. And I guess everybody's morals are different, right, because some of these things I'm saying, I'm like, that's not I mean, I don't think that's morally I don't think you need to be worried about your morals if you do this. This says they use their ex'es and bosses phone numbers at Kroger Kroger fuel pumps to steal their discounts. Does would that make you question your morals? John, if you did that?
Speaker 4: Maybe because I wouldn't think to do that, doesn't mean that I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like, I feel like you're not stealing from them. I guess you are. But they're not paying for those discounts they just signed up for free, you know what I mean. Like, you're not stealing. In fact, you're not stealing from any are you? Because you can get those discounts by just signing up yourself. Now, I guess by giving them your information and all that, I guess that's the cost. But I don't feel like that's something people would do and feel like you know their their morals or in question. This is mentioned credit card chargeback to get a refund. When a company won't budge, they'll usually cave to avoid the hassle. I don't know what that means. I don't have credit cards, so you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you something my wife does. It's kind of questionable, hear. I've shared this before, but it was way early on in the show. Sometimes she will, like, say, let's say she buys a new pair of shoes, she'll throw an old pair of shoes into the box that the new pair came in and return it and get her money back.
Speaker 2: That's left. I mean, that's that's what that is.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to tell her.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, you cant in trouble for that.
Speaker 4: She's so, she's never done it with anything like overtly expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say this. The other day, she tried to convince me to do it.
Speaker 2: I would be scared to do that, just see exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, so she was one to do it with a laptop. I said, that is way too expensive. You're not going to do that, and she ended up not doing it.
Speaker 3: Thingful.
Speaker 2: Probably shouldn't be mentioning this on the radio.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you She's not the only person who does.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guarantee you she talks about it. And I bet that there are many people that do way worse things and I wouldn't have And I'm not going to sit there and tell you that I have like a ton of sympathy for any of these companies. But like I mean again, I'm fearful of getting in trouble and I can just see me trying that and getting caught and you know, get in prison time. I mean, wouldn't be at that level. But always it's a savvy move. I've said before. I'm like, this is going to come back to bidas down the road. We're going to have an unreasonable expense because of the amount of things we've returned through Amazon that we shouldn't have returned. And this is going to be the reason. I understand your mindset. I do this one says uh, this, this one I think is just this is just the lame thing to do. And it and it it does I think point to bad morals. If you don't want someone to sit in front of you at the movie theater poor some coke on that seat, that's I mean, that's lame, right, Like, I mean, like that's something I mean, I would never think to do that. And I guess it's probably effective because people don't want to sit in a seat that's wet, But like, I don't know, I just feel like that's lame. This says Walmart has a ninety day return policy for pretty much everything they sell. Ac broken heat wave question Mark rent a couple window units from Walmart. One a seventy two inch TV for Super Bowl party. Rent it from Walmart, Like, I'd never mean, will they let you do that? I guess they can't. That's their policy. Then I guess you can ninety days though, Like if somebody's got a TV for eighty nine days and on the nineteth day they bring it back, are they taking it and giving you a full refund?
Speaker 3: Oh No, that's a little question.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you can get away with it, you know, I like the Amazon stuf nack yourself out. This is in many elevators. You can hold down the closed door button while choosing the floor to get a non stop ride meant to be used by rescue service fireman. I didn't know that was the thing, and I I don't know, I'm did you know this about me? I'm scared of elevators.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that about you. But I used to be really scared of them.
Speaker 2: Like I literally won't ride an elevator unless like it's got a window to where I can see out, or there's really no or honestly, this is embarrassing to say. Like if I if we make it back to like a hotel or a resort where we're staying, and I've had you know, I've had a day a lot of bush lights, I don't think much about it, and I'm more relaxed. But I got stuck in an elevator in Mexico one time, and it traumatized me. And I'll never forget it and I'll never live it down because we ended up having to like kind of like prie the door open because it got stuck like midway. It was super scary because the door wasn't all the way closed. It fell a little bit, so we had to like pry the doors open and kind of like climb out, if that makes sense. And I was having a panic attack, I mean scared to death. Probably was in there for a few minutes, but it felt like hours, and I climbed myself out and ran and left my wife in there. I mean I eventually, I mean I eventually, like I'm it like twenty yards and I was like, all right, I guess I should go back and help her out.
Speaker 3: Did she give you a talking to?
Speaker 2: Yes and no, because she knew everything was gonna be okay. She, being the great person she is, was more worried for me because how panic how panicked I was, because I was already scared of them, but I would ride them, and then I rode one and that happened, and it's like never again unless I have to. It's more than anything. It's it's because I'm claustrophobic. Like I rode the subway or the train from Wrigleyville back to downtown Chicago Magnificent Mile after a Cubs game ended, and I'd never been packed in in something that crowded in a tight space, and it got stuck in the tunnel where you can't see out other than just the brick, like the concrete. I mean, I remember thinking, like, all right, I'm gonna die. I'm just gonna explode because I'm losing my mind here. All right, quick Break will come back and wrap it up on the other side. Stick around this, Backstreet Boys, it is okay. Yeah, I didn't know, but I was just the production here made me kind of lean that it was BSB. I love people not knowing at all how we ended up playing nothing but in Sync and Backstreet Boys. But that's a little incentive you to go check out the podcast. Check out the podcast in the three o'clock hour, and then at least it'll explain why we ended up here. But real quick, I don't we don't have a lot of time left, but I do want to let you know those visits that we knew were about to be scheduled for these college basketball recruits. One of the top players in the twenty twenty five class, Kden Magwood from right here in Louisville, plays at Oak Hill Academy. Now started his career at Western High School. He's one of the best scoring guards in the country, regardless of where what rankings indicate. I know, he's all over the place in these different rankings. But he's going to visit Louisville August to twenty third, and this he scheduled visits with Louisville, INDCI State, Ole, miss Memphis, Georgia Tech, USC, Mississippi State in wake Forest. So I'm not sure if that means that those are that's his list. I would imagine if other schools get involved, he'd consider them as well. But really good player. I would love to see him as a louis of Cardinal. I've mentioned before my connection with him. I played against his father for years in high school. Hell of a player. We actually signed to go to the same college our senior year. I ended up going elsewhere in the end, and he ended up going to Mid Continent where we signed. But his father al great guy, great player himself, and he's a big UK fan. So I just you know, I always felt like, man Louisville is going to be working an uphill battle here because his pops has been a huge Kentucky fan as far as long as I've known. But hey, they're not listed here as a visit. I know they did recruit him, so I don't know. You know, there'll be a lot of guys visiting Louisville, But I really think Kate mag could be a guy that fits in well, just a really good scoring guard can shoot it, can score at all three levels and high four start depending on where you look. So I'm sure in the next few weeks we'll start to get more visits confirmed as far as dates, and I'm imagining that the weekend they have Louisville, liive that'll. I mean, I'm sure they're going to be aiming to make that a big weekend of visits. All Right, we're out of time, you guys, enjoy your weekend. We'll be back at it on my Monday right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Mm hm hm