Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: The Adversary, Old Scratch, the Lord of Lies, Dark Hory, host of the nether World. He's got many names, but I think you can guess who we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Could it be right?
Speaker 2: With more than a thousand movies and TV shows and countless literary and artistic versions, it might be easy to think of him as a fictional character. But to many Americans, Satan is a real and present threat, not just to our day to day lives, but to our eternal disposition. Perhaps you're the kind of person who thinks this has little impact on you, or that people who believe in the literal existence of the devil are out of touch with reality. Recently, Jennifer Senior at New York Magazine interviewed American Supreme Court Justice Antony's Kalia. I'll put a link to that in the show notes, but here's an excerpt presented for you as a dramatic reading, and I think it says a lot about the relevance of Satan in our real, everyday lives at all.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever you think of the opinion, Justice Kennedy is now the third good marshal of gay rights. I don't know how, by your lights, that's going to be regarded in fifty years.
Speaker 4: I don't know either, and frankly, I don't care.
Speaker 5: Maybe the world is spitting toward a wider acceptance of homosexual rights, and here's Scalia standing authwarted, at least standing athwarted as a constitutional entitlement.
Speaker 4: But I've never been a custodian of my legacy. When I'm dead and gone, I'll hire to be sublimely happy or terribly unhappy.
Speaker 1: You believe in heaven and Hell?
Speaker 4: Of course I do. Don't you believe in heaven and Hell? No?
Speaker 3: Oh my?
Speaker 1: Does that mean I'm not going.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, not.
Speaker 1: Wait to heaven or hell?
Speaker 4: Does mean you're not going to hell just because you don't believe in it. That's Catholic doctrine. Everyone's going to one place.
Speaker 3: Or the other.
Speaker 1: But you don't have to be a Catholic to get into heaven or believe in it.
Speaker 3: Of course not.
Speaker 1: Oh so you don't know where I'm going, thank God?
Speaker 4: No, No, I know. I don't know where you're going. I don't even know whether Judas is scary it as in Hell. I mean, that's what the Pope meant when he said to who am I to judge? He may have recanted and had severe penance just before he died.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Can we just talk about your drafting process.
Speaker 4: I even believe in the devil? You do? Of course, he's a real person. Hey, come on, that's standard Catholic doctrine. Every Catholic believes that.
Speaker 1: Every Catholic believes this. There's a wide variety of Catholics out there.
Speaker 4: If you are fait faithful to Catholic dogma, that is certainly a large part of it.
Speaker 1: Have you seen evidence of the devil lately?
Speaker 4: You know, it's curious. In the Gospels, the devil is doing all sorts of things. He's making pigs runoff cliffs, he's possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn't happen very much anymore. No, it's because.
Speaker 3: He's smart.
Speaker 1: So what's he doing now?
Speaker 4: What he's doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He's much more successful that way.
Speaker 1: That has really painful implications for atheists. Are you sure that's the devil's work?
Speaker 4: They didn't say that atheists are the devil's work.
Speaker 1: Well, you're saying the devil is persuading people to not believe in God. Couldn't there be other reasons to not believe?
Speaker 4: Well, I certainly can be other reasons, but it certainly favors the devil's desires. I mean, come on, that's the explanation for why there's not demonic possession all over the place. That always puzzled me. What happened to the devil? You know, used to be all over the place, used to be all over the New Testament?
Speaker 6: Right, What happened to him? He just got wilier, He got wilier. Isn't it terribly frightening to believe in the devil?
Speaker 4: You're looking at me as though I'm weird, My God, you are so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil. I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the devil. It's in the Gospels.
Speaker 5: You travel in circles that are so so removed from mainstream America that you are.
Speaker 4: Appalled that anybody would believe in the devil. Most mankind has believed in the devil for all of history. Many many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil.
Speaker 1: I hope you weren't sensing contempt for me, it wasn't your belief that surprised me as so much as how boldly you expressed it.
Speaker 4: I was offended. I was offended by that.
Speaker 3: I really was.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 7: A giant, hairy creature. Part eight.
Speaker 3: Part of that.
Speaker 7: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: More obstrutal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk. I'm your host, Blake Smith. Today I present an unusual interview about a monster who, whether you believe in his literal existence or not, impacts your life on a daily basis. Millions of people around the world and throughout history have believed that there's a dark force, a dark and powerful entity working against the powers of good in the world. Fundamentalists believe that the Bible is the literal and infallible word of God and that the villain in that tale is a real, impotent enemy of the world. And much the same way that they rail against evolution, they rail against Satan and Satanic forces too. There's a kind of logic era called a tautology, which goes like this. The Bible's literally true. How do you know because the Bible says it's true. But here's a demonstrable fact. The Bible has changed over time, and it's a complicated work written by many people in many different times. And what I find interesting is that as it has changed, so's the content the Bible evolves and its interpretation evolves. You don't have to go back thousands of years to see this. Merely look back into the eighteen hundreds and how the Bible was interpreted to support slavery. The purpose of this episode is not to infuriate Christians or to cause atheists to gloat, nor to help encourage people to question their faith. I just want to examine this villainous character who keeps being presented as the orchestrator of all kinds of evil in the world, because I think if we're honest with ourselves, we'll find that in the end, it doesn't take a supernatural boogeyman to cause all the evil in the world. We have that dark capacity all by ourselves.
Speaker 3: More Mobstertal.
Speaker 2: Monster talks proud to welcome back Robert M.
Speaker 3: Price.
Speaker 2: You will likely remember Bob from our Cuthulu episode, which so far is our second most popular episode ever, just behind our Ancient Aliens episode. In addition to his love Craftian scholarship, Bob's also a noted biblical scholar and the author of many books on biblical topics, well is the popular podcast The Bible Geek. So, Bob, welcome back to Monster Talk.
Speaker 7: It's great to be here and to be monstrous again.
Speaker 2: So I'm asking you here today to talk about one of the most well known villains in Western civilization, the Devil. But I think we need to figure out who we mean by the Devil, because there seems to be way more stories about him than just those in the Christian Bible, and he's recognized as a villain in both Islam and Judaism. So who is the Devil?
Speaker 7: Well? Who is he and who was he? Are two very different questions the way it's understood now, at least in literal supernaturalist Orthodox Christian. I've thought, and I suppose Islamic and Orthodox Jewish as well, the ideas that Satan, which means the adversary, began as Lucifer, the light Bearer, the morning stunner, and that he was the highest of the angel princes or archangels, and that he was proud of his greatness and decided he could do a better job running the show than God could, and staged a palace revolution with a third of the angels. He lost this bid and was cast down to somewhere now here. Opinion divides. Is he supposed to be in Hell, which general folklore imagines but the Bible never says, or is he in one of the lower concentric heavens that the ancients believed in. That's stated at least strongly implied, for instance in the Epistle to the Ephesians when refers to him as the Prince of the Power of the Air, and also in the Book of Jubilees and noncanonical work. But at any rate, he's supposed to be a fallen angel who is trying to get revenge on God by ruining his creation in the human race. In the Qur'an there's a bit more to the story, which has I as far as I has kind of dropped out of the standard Christian account, though there's nothing particularly animical to traditional Christian theology in it. The motive for the revolution was that when God created Adam as a flesh and what being, he summoned all of the angels to bow down before him, and Satan and his compatriots thought this was insane. He bowed down to this mounculus, not a chance. God must have lost his mind. We've got to take over. And then that's why, And then why is he so against humanity? Well, jealousy, and he's trying to prove that God was wrong and he was right, that the humans are unworthy of this tension from God. So you almost never hear of this anymore. But that's I think, the full version of the legend. But it's based on various components that have been melded together to create a new origin of Satan. It appears in ancient Israel that there was this character known as the Satan, since again it was not a proper name, just means has Satanas Satan that is, and it means Satan the adversary, implying on the one hand kind of a chief of sting operations and on the other an accuser like an attorney. And the point of this is that the Satan was a servant of God. He was one of the sons of God who would periodically gather, as in the first chapter of Job And whereas the others were all appointed the heads of the various nations of the Earth. His special function was to patrol the earth looking for hypocrites, basically in the unworthy, because he didn't want to see God made a laughing stock as in job. He says. Well, God says to well, if you've been patrolling the earth, surely you've come across my servant job. I'm pretty proud of him. He's perfect and righteousness, he serves me and so on. And the Satan says, don't be naive. With all the fringe benefits you give this guy, he would be a fool not to worship you. Now, what are you saying? And the Satan says, well, let's try a little experiment. Take away everything you've given him, and we'll see where his heart really is. And so God says to well, all right, do your worst, but just don't harm him personally. So there's the bunch of there's an ambush by a bunch of marauders who kill his cattle and stealing it, and he's God, and there's an earthquake and his seven children die and it's horrific, and his wife is let's see, we've got that detail wrong. She At some point, she says, why don't you just end it all, curse God and have him kill you. No, no, I'm not gonna do that. We've accepted God's gifts when we liked them. He's brought these things our way. We're going to start refusing delivery. It's up to him. I'm happy either way. You're crazy. Well, then the sons of God meet again, and God says, well, you loved me to destroy old Job without cause, but at least you see that I was right. He is faithful to me, and Satan says, well again be Satan says, well, you stopped me from really doing this experiment. Let me afflict him phistically and you'll see how fast he turns. Okay, And this time Job is stricken with plagues. He's covered with boils, and he's sitting in the wreckage of his house and his three friends come over and they tell him, look, obviously, you've sinned greatly. God doesn't punish the innocent, and he's look, I'm sorry to disappoint you, guys, but I am innocent. God is harassing me. He's fascinating. But the idea is that the satan is not an opponent of God, he's zealous for God's reputation. And the two other instances of this he I guess second Chronicles I said, first, I forget, where's the source document? First, Samuel had God test David by suggesting he take a census of Israel, and that was bad because, according to the Holy War idea, you didn't trust human resources. You just sort of fanatically went into battle because God was on your side. Well, he's showing that the lack of faith by seeing what the resources are. Well, God then punishes him. But in the retelling of it, it says that the Satan tempted David to do this. It's not inconsistent. The idea is that the writer figure, well, of course the Satan is the servant of God who handles these matters, and he wants to see where David's heart really is. Then there's another one in the prophet Zachariah, there's a vision whereof God is about to accept a man named Joshua to be the new high priest, and the Satan confronts him and says, no, this guy, look at his track record. His priestly garments are stained, so he's got something wrong with him. And then the Angel of the Lord shows up and rebukes him and says, well, you're right, but we're going to purify him and then give him the crown. So in every case where he appears, it's just three, but that's really enough to set the tone. He's God's right hand man in some ways. He's trying to weed out the fakes. Now, how did we get the idea that he is God's enemy? The name means adverse, but originally he was the adversary of sinners and hypocrits. How did he become what he's called? In Second Emoch sethan al the enemy of l Oheim, the enemy of God. Well that scene, he never appears as such in the Old Testament. The Satan has nothing to do with a serpent in Eden. That's a whole different thing. And nor is he the fallen being Halal the son of the Dawn in Isaiah fourteen. Nor is he the fallen king of Tire in Ezekiel twenty eight. These passages are all always quoted out of context, as if they were about Satan. But they're not, as he can easily see by just reading them in context. Well, what you don't see between the testaments is the Babylonian exile, Well, it does happen like in the Second Kings, but the missing pieces the Jews, the Jewish leaders, the priests and others were held captive there for about fifty years, they and their descendants, and towards the end of that time the Persian Empire overcame the Battylonians, and the Persians were Zoroastrians. They believed in this apocalyptic sort of monotheistic religion, and apparently a lot of their ideas appeal to the Jewish priests who learned about them, and they didn't persecute them. They got along fine, and among the ideas were resurrection of the dead for the final judgment, a supernatural messianic figure who would raise the dead, the division of history into deterministic, predestined periods of battles of good and evil, complex belief in loads of different angels, and especially the notion of an evil anti god Zoroaspis and was called Ahriman or or Ahreman or Angramineu. Well, he was almost the evil of God and his opposite, and the history of good and evil fighting throughout history is the two sides, and the God versus Ahriman, horamazda versus aframan, and every act of human performs is a blow struck on one side or the other. Hence it's all a great moral battle. Well, apparently Jewish thinkers kind of liked this idea because the notion of God had become increasingly rationalized and moralized. The holiness of God had originally simply meant the uncanny otherness of God. God was really beyond human good and evil, like we would be beyond the rules we set for our pets not to wet the carpet and all that we're not to worry about that. So now thinking of God as morally righteous, redefining holiness, now you had some explaining to do. Where could evil have come from if there is just one God? Well, the Zoroastrian said, well, there's kind of two gods. One of them is evil. Yeah, that means the good God is not all powerful, though he will win in the end. He would eradicate evil right now if he could, but he's not unopposed. And that sounded pretty good to Jewish thinkers, who said, all right, maybe somebody else is the author of evil. And though they wanted to be strict monotheists, by that time, so they couldn't have a second God. So they said, well, how about if there was an angel who fell and became God's enemy. That didn't quite solve the philosophical problem, but that does seem to be where it came from. In other words, they reinterpreted Satan to be afrem on, the evil enemy of the good God. And that starts appearing in various works that didn't make it into the biblical canon, the Book of Jubileese, first and Second Emoch, the Life of Adam and Eve, the Apocalypse of Moses, and various others. And that's in place by the time of the New Testament. And I'll end this in just second mercifully. But the New Testament still usually depicts Satan as a kind of a one who puts the anointed of God through their paces to test them. Not evil, just trying to make sure people are what they're cracked up to me, which is why he takes Jesus out into the desert to test him. If you're the son of God, how about this has pretty good idea, is and what do you think? And Jesus sees through it and won't do it. Satan's not trying to get him to do the wrong thing. He's just trying to see if he will do the wrong thing. Then let's see when Jesus accuses Peter of being Satan. Get behind me, Satan, because he's trying to persuade him not to go to the cross. Well, that's the whole idea. He will Jesus give in to this test and he doesn't. At the Last Supper, he warns the disciples they're going to all fall away and run away, and he says, Satan has demanded his right to test you all like wheat from the chaff. Yeah, that's what he does. That's his job on God's behalf. Then in the Book of Revelation, we have a bit of this idea that Satan is a fallen angel. But this battle in Heaven occurs at the end of the age, and Satan is called the accuser of the Brethren. Well, yeah, and that's the whole idea. He's doing a good service to God that way. Satan, even in the New Testament, appears only as an evil character only when he's been combined with other originally tinct beings. One of them is Ahreman. He's not named in the New Testament but that's in the background. Then secondly, when he's combined with beelzen Bull, the Prince of Demons in Mark chapter three, that's a whole separate character that originally was some sort of Phoenician god. It didn't really have anything to do with the biblical Satan. And the third one is in the Book of Revelation where they conflate Satan with Leviath and the seven headed chaos dragon that's mentioned several times in the Old Testament of this ancient creation myth where God like Marduke and Indra and various other deities created the earth out of the carcass of a dragon that he slew. So when Satan is combined with the seven headed serpent, then he's evil, but there's no unanimity of thought even in the New Testament, and more often the not he's a good guy there. So you really have a post biblical development into Satan the evil one.
Speaker 2: Well, just to let you know you've you've tore through about my first five questions almost in exactly the order I was going to ask them. This is amazing. So I was going to ask one, which was how did Satan get so many nicknames? But I think what you just said is that after I guess the development of the Bible. So when would that have been after? So by the time of Jesus he was still considered to be a tempter, or at least by the time the Gospels were written.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's not absolutely clear that he's more than that, except in the Beelzebowl controversy or the King James the beelzebab those different god where he's they say Jesus is casting out demons by magic. He's bound the power of Beelzebo, the Prince of demons, which exorcis Saxon. He did. Jesus goes on to defend the ideas I read it, you can't despoil a man of his goods unless you bind him first, and this is the rational for appealing to the power of the Prince of the demons to order around his subordinates so they no longer infest and possess people. Well, so it's not absolutely clear there that Satan is the bad guy, but that's about as close as you come in the Gospels.
Speaker 2: Wow, So how much of Satan's history actually comes from other popular fiction or folklore or I'm not sure what else to call it what do you call the sort of belief developments that happen after the canonical religious prescription.
Speaker 7: Well, the tricky part is that it happens in a kind of a gap between the Old and New Testaments. It's a product of folk religious belief, So I guess you could say folklore. But it just like the assumption of the virgin Mary became in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, it was apparently popular Catholic piety that eventually became official doctrine. That seems to be what happened here. That there were different theories, for instance, as to who the demons were. Of course, it was like an ancient diagnostic category. They didn't know anything about abnormal psychology, and especially when people had epileptic seizures, they said, oh, a demon has seized, because what epilepsy means to be seized upon in Greek? And so who were these demons? And various people said, well, they must be ghosts of the dead who haven't gone on to paradise, and others said no, God just created some bodyless creatures at the dawn of creation, and they would like to have physical warmth, so they try to they're squatters in other people's bodies. They said, no, they're the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of men who twisting led to the flood of Noah and Genesis six, and then another one was, well, maybe they are the sons of God. Back in Genesis six. That was originally a story about why a group called the Rephaem or the Anachem in Canaan were so tall. Most people were shrimpy and these people were over six feet and what made him that way? And they kind of figured out they must have had divine ancestors, they must be descended from demigods. And so you had Genesis six, one, two, and four outside of the flood story originally, which said, well, these people are the result of the result of the mating of the sons of God, the lesser gods, that God is appointed in charge of the nations mating with mortal women.
Speaker 3: And is it the nephelem, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Which kind of looks like the Hebrew word for fallen. So the legend may have grown as an attempt, as often happens in the Old Testament, to explain the name nobody understood anymore. So they're the fallen ones. But originally there's nothing bad about this. It's just like Hercules is so strong because he's a demigod, the God, divine Father, a mortal mother. And it was no problem. But as Judaism crept closer and closer to Monotheism, they couldn't have sons of God. There couldn't be seven be subordinate beings in charge of the other nations. So they demoted them to angels, created beings. And now the idea that they should mate with mortal women just seemed pagan and evil, and so the story had to be reinterpreted as the fall of the angels. Now that's still not Satan, but Satan gets tied in with this in the Book of Jubilees and First Enoch and so forth, where we're told that after Satan rebelled against God, he recruited these sons of God. And there are various versions of this in the few books we still have from this period. So it's like a folkloric embellishment of what is what you do see surfacing in the Old Testament here and there, especially when people no longer quite understood what the original point was and patched some of these stories together. And once you bring in Isaiah fourteen and Ezekiel twenty eight about some kind of angel or Adam figure or something, and you just ignore the original context. Well, suddenly you've got a whole biography of Satan here, and a lot of it is taken from granted by the New Testament writers. First John refers to Caine being a murderer, or where did this come from? Why is he such a bad seed? Well, because Eve was impregnated by Satan, and the First John says that he was of the evil one and that's why he murdered his brother. And second Corinthians it says that Eve was seduced by Satan, and this is made explicit in the Life of Adam and Eve and other of these works. So a lot of these are so offensive to any kind of theology today that they get reinterpreted again to take the barb out of the tale of it.
Speaker 2: Well, so, I think, growing up in a very fundamentalist family, I had always been told that demons were all fallen angels, And I don't think that's actually scriptural. That just seems to have come from somewhere like just gets does that seem I mean, do you know of any scriptural origin for that idea.
Speaker 7: No, it's not unlikely that that's what the gospel writers thought, but they don't really say so. And one of the most important exorcism story is that of the Gallerine or Garrisine demoniac in Mark five. I think it is where it implies that the legion of demons infesting this guy are the ghosts of the dead in the cemetery that he lives in, which is why he lives there and why when Jesus threatens to kick him out, they don't want to leave the area. Why is that, Well, because I think because they're the ghosts of the dead there. And so there's a big hint that not everybody in the Christian orbit believed that they were fallen angels. The idea of the principalities and powers that there are demonic well, the heavenly forces of wickedness, as Ephesian says, for instance, that is part of the fall of the sons of God idea. And this is a profound myth and the true Boltmanian sense, that is a myth that that explains and articulates a group's understanding of their position in the world. People realized that you couldn't have chaos, an anarchy, the war of all against all. It was better to stem the chaos with government. But everybody knows government is wicked, as we're seeing more and more day, and so it may be like the mafia run in Chicago, but it's better than just endless violence in the streets. And so they had this sophisticated myth that the nations are ruled by fallen angels the principalities and powers, and one day God will end that rule and rule directly, and then the millennia will arrive. But until then even this is better than nothing. And so the foreign angels were understood to be these evil powers behind the human thrones of the nations, not necessarily the pesty demons that caused epileptic fits, and seems like in the Exorcist, that's not quite the same thing. And yet there is some reason to think these guys were believed to be fallen angels. I believe it's in the Book of Jubilees, where it says that Mastema, who's apparently Satan, is after his big done seat God. He is tossed down to one of the lower heavens, and most of his minions are going to be cast into the nether world of darkness, of a feature drawn right out of Hesiod in Greek mythology. But Mastema says, well, look, I am to be the scourge of sinners, right, so why don't you give me ten percent of the fallen angels to do my dirty work? And that would appear to be the possessing demons.
Speaker 3: So that.
Speaker 7: Link is made, but that doesn't seem even to be the original point of the fall even that seems to be an embellishment combining different different myths.
Speaker 2: Well, at least nobody believes that that these powers are controlling people today, who, of course are of course, I grew up like I grew up with the uh was that Hal Lindsey, Yeah, and that that sort of mentality, So like in the in the in the nineteen eighties, I was really aware of these sort of vast, dark Satanic conspiracies which are supposed to be at play in America.
Speaker 3: And it turns out that a lot.
Speaker 2: Of this, especially some of these satanic cults and UH stories about children being murdered and stuff, were actually coming out of recovered memory, type of behavior which has now been shown to be able to make people believe really amazingly unlikely or implausible or impossible sort of things. And and then some of it seemed to be just a really imagic inative but paranoid people I'm going to say, making up or confabulating. But in that same time period, I heard people say that Jimmy Carter was the Antichrist, Bill Clinton was the Antichrist. I hear people saying Barack Obama's the Antichrist, so you know, and then there's this sort of satanic apocalyptic literature that's super popular, selling lots and lots of books. But how's that whole Satanic apocalypse coming along?
Speaker 3: I mean, is that working out? Okay?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know who is still saying that, because I'm in less close touch with the people that know about it than I used to be. But there were various people that at least three of them I can think of, that claimed to have been back in the late seventies Satanic high priests and all of that, And Mike Warnicky was one of them, and he was just a con man. He was simply making it up. And there were others that appeared to be more paranoids and believed it. But there was snow grounds for it, and then that was founded by this recovered memory nonsense, which is really just like a redo the Salem witch trials, that these incompetent shrinks would say, are you sure you don't remember your dad's sacrificing your baby's sister in the basement literally, and they just it was all leading the witness, just planting these memories. Okay, I can picture it. I guess I do remember. And so you had utterly dumbfounded parents finding themselves in jail for this, and none of it ever happened. As to the idea that the illuminati are around and they're gonna take over, that of course has had a vogue and still does on the extremes of both the left and the right. But whether they literally demonized that and tied in with Satan as these jack chit type fundamentalists did, I don't know how popular that is.
Speaker 2: It's Obama Vantichrist is a pretty powerful idea right now. I just in fact, right before this interview, I happened to be reading an article and one of the pop up ads, I guess because of my research, was a really graphic image of a giant Barack Obama in front of an audience with FEMA people pointing guns at the audience and click here for this important video to save your family in the future, the dark future that's coming. And so I clicked on it, and it was all about why we need to be hoarding our food for the dark times that are coming, and it.
Speaker 3: Is all you know.
Speaker 2: It fed into the same idea, and there seems to be in the conspiracy world. There seems to be kind of an interesting split between the people who believe in the illuminati, the people who believe in reptilian aliens, and the people who believe in a satanic overlord or sort of a dark power, spiritual power being behind all the bad things that are happening.
Speaker 7: Well, the unfortunate thing about this is that there is a point to this stuff if it's not understood in a literal and paranoid way, like the notion of the principalities and powers. I think this is quite profound. It just doesn't have anything to do with a supernatural It's a recognition of things that it took twentieth century sociology to understand that there are super individual forces politically, culturally, economically, in what multinational corporations, agencies of the government, religions, anything you want to pick, any institution that it was created by humans long ago, but now have taken on a power of their own to the point where there's no single human face, no concerned individual could hope to change these things. So these are I think aptly symbolized and maybe even irreplaceably symbolized by the demonic principalities and powers. If you reduce it to the omen and think that it's literal devils, that trivializes it, but there's a powerful I think I heard Jerry Brown say this once, probably the only thing you ever said I agreed with, but that there really is a point about this. I mean, if you're saying, you know, why can't we get those fat gats to just repent? It's not a question that there's an institutional inertia or institutional racism. You can get all kinds of individuals to stop being racist. But if there's a structure to it that people have vested interest in, this goes way beyond what any individual could do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 7: Likewise, if you like, when fundamental to say, oh, the universal product code is the mark of the beast, or something that seems kind of crazy, and it is because it taken it literally saying, oh is this the prediction? Oh boy, let's match A with B. That's crazy. But think of all this surveillance by the NSSA and the irs, all this stuff going on that I never thought was going on. This you suddenly see is what these symbols were about. When you see a shocking overreach by the authorities, then these myths start to click in. And it doesn't mean there's a literal Antichrist. There's not. In fact, that would just be that would be less relevant. The idea is that Hitler was the Antichrist, Mussolini style of these guys were the Antichrist because it's a mythic archetype that people unfortunately live into and embody. And I do think Obama is a dangerous megalomaniac who was shredding the constitution. And I can see why superstitious folks say he's literally the Antichrist. There is no literal Antichrist, but the symbol is handy to make us say, wait a minute, this guy is getting too big for his britches. We could be in trouble here. No matter who you think. I mean, if you didn't like Bush, the utility of the symbol would still apply, right, It's it's always a question mark to be raised beside leaders. And so that's the utility of myth. It's not just scientifically true or false. It's stillion kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it also works for corporations in that they have now achieved the kind of personhood legally. But they're right, but they don't have they don't have souls, and they don't have in a more literal sense, they don't have empathy, and they don't have regret so much.
Speaker 7: You know, that's right, that's right exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's certainly a workable metaphor. But I think I'm far too well. You live in the South too. But I mean, it's just I run into way more people who believe this literally in supernatural sense than I do who consider it in the metaphorical sense where it might be useful.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just I will admit to that these people may have they may also, like Tillick said about naive literalism, they may also be getting the real point of it, even though they happen to believe in implausible literal applications of it. I think that people are nowadays very rightly suspicious of government no matter who's in charge, and that if they also happen to believe it's going to be a literal Antichrist and a rapture, well, I really who cares that they might be right about their suspicions of the government.
Speaker 2: Anyway, This is going to be the most controversial muster talk ever because I think I've avoided religion as much as possible in politics almost completely, so this should be interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I know people that like my writing. The minute they hear I'm a Republican. They think that I'm an idiot savant, that I happen to know something. I'm like the rain Man, that it's self evident that no intelligent person could be politically conservative. And in return, I think it's seems very clear to me that dogmatic political liberalism is a fact proof faith position. So it kind of it's a mirror image. I guess.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think the issue when just again, one of the reasons I try to keep politics off is just because I think dogma itself is the problem, and that the whole political system seems to have made the idea of compromise like a bad word and like people are not working together towards right helping America or the world for that matter, they're just looking for their own personal gain, and that there's way too much selfishness and not enough altruism. So I just that's one of the reasons I just tend to avoid it because I don't have any answers.
Speaker 7: I agree, I agree, you.
Speaker 2: Really covered a lot of what I wanted to ask you about, really neatly without me having to ask questions. So the devil changes over time and becomes instead of being someone who's working towards God's mission, becomes this character at least within Christianity or I guess to some extent Islam as well, where he is the bad guy who's blamed for everything.
Speaker 3: How does that work?
Speaker 2: I mean, is it dangerous for people to ascribe blame to this spiritual force instead of taking responsibility for their own actions or do people even do that?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 7: Well? I know I've heard jokes like the old Flip Wilson thing, but Dema made me do it and all that, But I have never met anybody that I've certainly never met any kind of devout fundamentalists that was trying to slide out of responsibility. I regret the I think the intellectual errors of fundamentalism of any kind. But my experience has been that most of these people of any religion who take it so seriously, really are concerned about their moral integrity. I mean, there's hypocrites everywhere, but i've i've my experience has been that the devil is almost superfluous to their belief is a fifth wheel, because they do not underestimate the frailty of human nature. And when the Epistle of James says where do we get all these disputes in this strife? He expects them to say, well, of course it's could it be Satan? But he doesn't say that. He says, well, of course it's your own desires, it's your own nature, as it obviously is. And so the fundamentalists do happen to believe in the Satanic mastermind, But in my experience, most of them, it almost would make no difference to their belief that that wasn't a part of it, because they know, oh, yeah, I have the potential for sin, I'm tempted by my own weaknesses and desires. And they're a little too tough on themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that more than one humorist i've read has made the comment about Satan that I don't have time, nor am I needed to make up all these terrible ideas.
Speaker 3: People do it there are selves.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's an important Christian realization. Once I was talking to a professor Gordon Conwell's seminary right after the Jonestown horror and he said, but don't you think that's evidence of Satan in the world today? And I said, I wish it were. That's optimistic. If there was one supernatural terrorist we could somehow get rid of everything would be okay. But there isn't. This is in human nature that this shows the depths to which human beings can too easily sink. So the Satan thing, if they took it seriously, I think, would be inimical to their theology.
Speaker 2: When we think about how people consider Satan today, the image of Satan in our stories of Hell and of how Satan got there so much it.
Speaker 3: Seems to be sort of stuck, pulled straight.
Speaker 2: Out of Dante and out of Milton, and I wonder, like this is completely fanciful in a sense. But Dante, you know, he populated some of the lowest pits of Hell with people who were still alive, like their souls had left their body and now they were being controlled by demons and still walking the earth alive even though their souls were in Hell being punished. And and I thought, I know, he was making a joke, but it also seems like a wonderful metaphor for people who are psychopaths, who don't have what we would consider to be like the sort of emotional responses we would expect from a normal person. Yeah, and I always thought it was a nice metaphor for that, even though that's not what he had in mind when he made his jokes. But so, how much of that does I mean, it seems like most of what we think about the appearance of Satan comes from medieval and Renaissance art, but not from the Bible, and and and just our ideas of hell or the hell is I read the Bible was really not very well described.
Speaker 7: That's right. There's Tartaros that first Peter mentions, and it's the name and the ideas seemed to come right out of Hesiod and other Greek writers. Tartaros was the pit of darkness where Uranos had imprisoned the giants and some of the titans, monstrous offspring that he couldn't unleash on the earth, and they're in chains there under the in the caverns of darkness, just like First Peter says that the fallen angels are I think it's First Peter, maybe Second Peter, and that comes right from there or Hades, which is usually like of course, the word hell is an English word, not a bad translation for Shaol, the nether world of the dead in the Old Testament, but the idea of a fiery tit of torment that goes well, that hades the Greek word used in the Gospels. That could mean just the place of the dead, without necessarily being a place of torment, as when Jesus says that Capernaium, Bethseda, and Koradzen, who spurned his preaching despite miracles, they will not rise to heaven. They will be brought down to Hades. Well, that's kind of a recollection of Isaiah fourteen. The King of Babylon will find himself waking up on the dung heap in hate in Shaol. But Gehenna is the one where it's a fiery hell, and that's a very old idea in the Old Testament's a place. It means the valley of the Sons of Hinham, and this was a place of valley right at the base of Mount Zion. And according to their mythic cosmology, they believe that the that Mount Zion with a temple on top, was the gateway to Heaven where Jehovah lived, and that tafet or Gehenna down below was an opening to the fiery nether world of Molek, a god who received human sacrifices infant sacrifices. So there was this subterranean fiery realm.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 7: The innocent went there. That's the difference. It wasn't a place of post mortem punishment, but eventually I guess it's combined with tartaros and so on. But it's not clear in too many of the places in the New Testament where Hell is mentioned that they're thinking of a place where all the wicked will wind up in the clearest places in Revelation where it says those who have taken the mark of the beast to save their hide will ru it because they will be thrown into the lake of fire, and the smoke of their torment rises and night forever before the lamb and is thrown. But that's special treatment given to these people that knuckled under to the beast. It doesn't say whether all the unrighteous are going to join them there, which is kind of an important thing if you're trying to compile this jigsaw puzzle of theology out of little postage stamps in the Bible, and in Matthew twenty five the Sheep and the Goat's judgment, the people that didn't help the least of the son of Man's brethren are going into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Well, who then are the goats? Are they the devil and his angels? Are we even talking about human beings at all? It's not that clear. And the place is in Matthew, where it says that people we've thrown into the fiery furnace with the blue weeping and gnashing of teeth. These have been added by Matthew again and again from a phrase in the Queue document that didn't mean quite that originally. When the end comes and gentiles are welcomed into the kingdom, and Jews, the proper heirs of the kingdom are shocked to see it, and these unrighteous Jews will be excluded. They will weep and gnash their teeth in anguish. It's not about what's going to happen in hell. Matthew applies it to that. There's very little said. There is nothing in any epistle attributed to Paul about anybody going to hell. The dead that are wicked just don't rise. So it's really a mixed bag, and it's not at all clear.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about the parable of Lazarus and the rich Man, and that's the only place I'm aware of where you've got a picture of someone in hell. Also, not only are they being tormented, but also able to look up and see Heaven and what they're missing out on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he says, I am in agony in this pit of torment. And he figures this wicked brothers, or at least his rich brothers, they seem to quite the two in Luke. They will die and come to the same sad fate. There were hells of torment in ancient Jewish and early Christian thought as well. And it's interesting this doesn't entail a final judgment. This is yet another version of it. This is more like what people think of today. You die and go to heaven or hell. Did they also think that they would be recalled to their bodies one day for a superfluous second judgment rubber stamping the one that landed them in heaven or held in the first place. That sounds like somebody is trying to stitch together disparate ideas in the Bible. But that certainly or Jesus in the same gospel tells the repentant thief today, you'll be with me in paradise. Nothing about Jesus going to the right hand of God. They're just both righteous and they're going to go to heaven when they die shortly, so it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the scenario. But there is a post mortem suffering passage. It is there. It's just not all. Not all of them seem to.
Speaker 2: Agree, no, right, right, well, and the different writers different times.
Speaker 3: So should we be afraid of the devil?
Speaker 7: Robert? I don't think so. Only paranoids are. Even in terms of orthodox Christianity. If you're afraid of the devil, you're not being a very good Christian, because, as First John says, he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
Speaker 2: You know, I had that argument with the I'm not going to say who some family members of mine that I had some family member who are very very frightened a Satanic power, very very and the demons. And my reading was if you were a believer in Christ, there was no reason to be afraid. And so I never understood all the fear at all. I never understood the fear. It was so strange.
Speaker 7: I can see concern if you really didn't believe that, then again, this could be secular. If you think bar Our country is going to hell in a handbasket, well, yeah, it was made about that.
Speaker 3: This was supernatural fear. This was the oogie boogie fear.
Speaker 7: Well, were they afraid that the Satanic conspiracy was Gnasha in the Great Tribulation and they're just that things were going to be awful bad.
Speaker 8: I think they were afraid that that that maybe a demon could possess them, that people they knew might be under the influencer control of Satan, that that there's very real, dark spiritual influence in the world that directly impacted them in their life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would just if I were still a believer in this, I would tell such people that I think they're not trusting in Christ. That this is morbid preoccupation, akin to the person that's afraid every day they're going to die of some germ or whatever, that anything that hell are like Christians that don't believe in eternal security and said, well, gee, it's possible I might fall away and lose my faith. What would happen then? And anything's possible. But that's not the life of faith you say you signed on for. Isn't the hope of glory Christ in you? Isn't Christ powerful where you are weak? And if you trust in Christ, what do you have to worry about? It seems to me that's they have a poor faith in Christ. If they're that, if they're that worried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they may have also just had perpetual worry situation going on.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, but it's awful to have it magnified and compounded with superstitious fear. And I am the last one to say that if you're a Christian you're automatically superstitious. I think you've got pre scientific beliefs in some ways. But there are a lot of sound, healthy minded people that hold these beliefs that, however, is just neurotic morbidity. And I hope people like that can sluff off that burden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, kidding.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, I mean because again I've typically tried to avoid religion and politics on the show, but Satan is such a big monster, and he's had such a big influence on Western culture in movies in modern times and in ancient times, and directly.
Speaker 3: Tied to the witch trials.
Speaker 2: And directly tied to some of the interpretations of religion in early America, definitely tied to a lot of things that happened after the Exorcist and the sort of cultural impact that that had. So it really felt like we had touch on this. I mean, it has He's a topic that has to be covered.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there is evil in the world, whether whatever you think about it metaphysically. I mean, there's certainly stuff happening. There's certainly people that it's appropriate to use that that word for even if it's just a metaphor. It's it's unfortunate to get distracted from that by thinking the real issue is whether there's this fallen angel lurking around like Lex Luthor somewhere. That's the problem. It's that you can't do anything about it. It's possible, you might do something about your own character, your own circumstances, and that surely should be the place to to concentrate.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you, and that's is the devil's greatest trick convincing as he's not real? Or is it the recipe for delicious chocolate cake?
Speaker 7: I think I go with the cake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: This whole thing is circular. Once a pastor who was a friend of mine was saying that the Hammer films directed by Terrence Fisher were important. He knew they were literally true, but this idea that you know, the vampire's greatest strength is that no one believes in them. All that, and I said, well, yeah, but there aren't any vampires. What point are you trying to make? It's a circular thing. Is there any reason to believe in the devil? Because if not, you can say, well, the strength of the little green men in the moon is that nobody knows they're there. Well, how do you know they're there? I mean, if there was such an entity, I guess it might come in handy. But there's certainly no reason to take that seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I do like this film.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, me too, Me too.
Speaker 2: I want to say thank you again for spending almost another hour with us. And I do try to ask all my guests, and I think we asked you before on the Kathu episode. It may have changed with me now, but what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 7: I guess it would have to be the Frankenstein monster.
Speaker 3: That's a good monster.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love him. My daughter Victoria and I watched thirty or so monster movies during October as a countdown to Halloween, and we watched Frankenstein, Bride of Son of Ghost of House of They meet David Costello, Evil of Frankenstein, and so on and so on and most of the other universals. They're just better and better every time I see him. And it's tough to beat the Undying Monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's and also, you know, man's terrible hubris at creating something.
Speaker 7: Now I know how much it was to be God. I know.
Speaker 2: I can't get tired of those films. What I just realized maybe last year, I think for the first time I said down and watch Son of Frankenstein and didn't realize how much the mel Brooks Young Frankenstein it was really just a riff on Son of Frankenstein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing, but just.
Speaker 2: It made me want to go watch that film again and enjoy it even more so.
Speaker 3: I'm just just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. And this has been a great discussion.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, there's any old time. It's loads of fun.
Speaker 2: All right, have a good evening more Monster t Thank you for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. I'm your host, Blake Smith, and today you heard me interview biblical scholar Robert M. Price about the history of the Devil. You can find links to Bob's books and podcasts in our show notes at monster talk dot org. The dramatic reading at the beginning was performed by Brian Thompson and Carry Poppy. Carrie can be heard on the podcast Oh No, It's Ross and Carry, and Brian can be seen aimlessly wondering the streets of Los Angeles. I promise you the views and the opinions expressed on Monster Talk are not necessarily those of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. I'm still working to get a live Monster Talk Google hangout set up, so please follow me on Twitter Doctor Atlantis and check out our Facebook group, where you'll meet a variety of people who will passionately discuss cryptids, monsters, and adorable kittens with you.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's Facebook.
Speaker 2: I sometimes ask for donations here to help with our transcript project, but I'd like to ask you instead to donate to the Red Cross or any reliable aid organization working to alleviate the horrible tragedy going on in the Philippines right now, with more than ten thousand people killed by the largest typhoon in recorded history. Speedy aid is vital before disease and starvation kill even more. Don't just think about it. If you can afford a coffee or a phone application, you could give that up for a day or two and use that money to make a difference over there. Salamat Monster Talk. Theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Reading for more skepticism. Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J.
Speaker 2: Gould called the best journal in the field.
Speaker 3: To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 1: Who who is interviewing him?
Speaker 4: Oh, Connie Chung