Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba lne.
Speaker 2: No necessary dvoid whereab By lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: Really, beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 6: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 4: But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Way eighteen plus terms and conditions applaing. See website for details. With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 4: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by Locke team plus terms and conditions applaing. See website for details.
Speaker 6: Okay, round two, Name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino. Chum, that's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem.
Speaker 7: Some serious prizes. Chum, chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 8: Us whatever retails.
Speaker 9: You are now listening to True Murder, the most Shocking Killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 8: Good Evening. On September fourteenth, nineteen ninety one, in Anchorage, Alaska, a very pregnant Peggy Barnett, along with her nine year old daughter, drove to the post office to deliver a package to an associate, George Kerre and chug Yik, fifteen miles outside of Anchorage. George's father, David Kerr, picked up the package three days later and brought it home. He and his wife, Michelle, were in the kitchen when David opened the package. The explosion was so intense neighbors feared there had been an earthquake. David died instantly, but Michelle survived. Michelle told us postal inspectors that Doug Gustavson was involved. It was no secret that Douglas Gustafson and his cohort Raymond Cheeley, despised George care had knowledge of explosives and liked to blow things up. However, they had perfect alibis they were already in prison for murder. An investigative task force was formed led by US Postal Inspection Service with assistance from the Anchorage Police Department in the US Department of the Treasury Bureau of Alcohol to back when Firearms ATF to solve this case. The book they were featuring this evening as the Alaska male Bomb Conspiracy with my special goals, the legendary Burrel Bear. Welcome to the program, and thank you for very much for greing this interview. The legendary Burrel Bear.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, a living legend in my own mind. Always a pleasure to be on your program, Dan, And I'm going to practice being very stoic today to fit in with the Canadian vibratory pattern.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, it's not Canadian, it's just but it emanates from a Canadian.
Speaker 5: So than.
Speaker 8: My pleasure, Yes, yes, thank you, it's always a pleasure to have you on, Burl. And let's talk about this Alaska mail bomb conspiracy conspiracy? How did it come that you were involved with this? Why this story? What was again? Tell us some of the.
Speaker 5: How did I get this one? How did I get so lucky?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 5: Well, it goes back to the book I did immediately before I started this. Now, even though if you have this mail bomb Conspiracy came out fairly recently, I started what was going to be a full length book a long time ago, over twenty years. It was the book that I was doing immediately after Man Overboard, the Counterfeit Resurrection of Phil Champagne, and doing it for the same publisher, Northwest Publishing. And it was during my investigation of Man Overboard that I met the United States Postal Inspectors who were involved in that case as well. They're the ones who told me about this horrific, just absolutely awful, awful case of this mail bomb conspiracy and what it took to solve it. And I thought this was absolutely fascinating, and I did a proposal for the book. We got a good deal and I started working on it. And I tell you, the US Postal Inspector were so thrilled to be having a book done about them, because even in the United States of America, where people are so astute and knowledgeable of government issues, people were totally ignorant of the US Postal Inspectors. In fact, Jim Bordenay, who I must credit with being absolutely fantastic in his help in putting this thing together. He made sure that this book or audio book, however you want to call it, is one hundred percent factual. I mean, he made sure I made no mistakes, and if I did, he maybe correct him. So you know, you're getting a real deal story here. But he brought this to my attention and we started working on it. And then I didn't get paid, and I didn't get paid next or the next and they called and said, Burrell, how's this book going on the US Postal I said, well, here's the problem. I haven't been paid in about two or three months. And that's kind of brought everything into a screaming halt. Well, I went fishing for a couple of weeks with my kids at a loon lake, Washington, and I got back and there was a facts on my fax machine, remember those I had a fax machine, And there was a message from the US Postal Inspectors saying, dear mister Behar, you will appreciate this press release pages of the United States Postal Inspection Service or office whatever they're called. Rated the offices of Northwest Publishing confiscated their computers and they went down. Turns out the true crime was allegedly the publisher and his son, who allegedly were spending the money rather than paying the bills. Over that he was like three million dollars in corporate checks cashed at the money tree in the mall, paying over two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in check cashing fees. So for a while, the Alaska mail bomb conspiracy was one of the assets of the company that was in the litigation, and it took a few years for me to get the get the material back and the wrights back because it was considered an asset of the company. And then what am I going to do with it? Well, several years later, let's fast forward to the wonderful author and editor R. Berry Flowers got hold of He had asked if I would yes go ahead? Did you say something there, dad?
Speaker 8: No? No, sorry, no, I was just saying yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 5: H R. Berry Flowers, who he cranks out books faster than I can read him in a variety of genres. He said, bo, would you like to be a master of true crime? And I said, well, I'd like to be the master of something. And slavery is no longer legal so sure, because I got to be in a verified atmosphere of all these really great true crime writers. So I figured I was snuck in there somehow, you know, a mercy credit, and so I couldn't pass that up. Well, then what was I going to do? Well, I already had all the research on the Alaska mail bomb conspiracy, and I found the still had Imbordinate's phone number tucked away somewhere, and even though he'd retired, he's still well connected within the department and had all the information, and he volunteered to help me make sure I got it right and got it accurate. And we launched into this thing, and I'm really happy with the way it came out. Now, while it's shorter than a traditional true crime book, I've always had the feeling, in fact, I have Frank Gerardo and I put this in writing. I think, well, we said it out loud when we did the book, A Taste for Murder and Betrayal in Blue, and that is, to put a mandatory word count on a true crime book isn't really rational because if you have to do one hundred thousand words on a story that takes eighty thousand to tell, it, really well, what are you doing with the other twenty thousand words? And that's always bothered me. So when you read a really fast moving mystery such as so say mine to bias my novel Headlock, it's going to check in between fifty five thousand, maybe sixty five thousand tops. You know what, a good quick read, perfect for the beach. But sometimes you go with a lot of true crime or what they call him now non fiction thrillers. You find yourself reading the reviews and go, oh, I'm sure he padded this with unnecessary facts. We don't just tell us who killed who and have lots of pictures. So Frank and I just said on that book, let's just write the book, and when we've told the story, we've told the story, and we did very well with that. I think this is kind of the same theory on this this book. This could have been expanded to whatever word count anybody wanted, because it was. Let me tell you how extreme this was in the investigation, and I'll tell you a little bit about the crime too, that would be helpful. But almost everybody in the state of Alaska was wire tapped, and I'm not exaggerating. They'd get federal authorization to wiretap almost everybody in Alaska it could possibly have any connection to any of the people that they thought may have been involved in They may have been involved, so that meant everybody. So as a process of elimination, if we can eliminate as many people as humanly possible, then we could get down to who may have committed this absolutely horrifying crime. Now you mentioned that Michelle survived, I think there have been many times when she wished she hadn't. Not only was her husband killed and her house destroyed, her face was melted, her eyes were filled with glass, almost horrifying, and it's cruciating pain for this woman, not only physically, but emotionally, psychologically, financially. I'm sure there are many times when she wished she'd been a thing forgotten and forgotten, quite very tragic. And no one was trying to kill her, and no one was trying to kill her husband. The two people who actually it comes down to about three or four responsible for this horrible crime. We're trying to kill a cute little puppy dog, George the teenage boy or you know, young adult boy, because they were mad at him because he testified against them in the murder trial, and so they decided to kill him from prison and Pegy, the sister pregnant as you mentioned, drove to the post office over a very bumpy road. Could have been induced labor right there on the spot and for two dollars and twenty two cents. Male's death and destruction to the home of George and his father and stepmom really horrible. I mean, they found his knuckles the roof. That's how powerful that explosion was. And it's just a horrifying thing. So so ask me something and I'll answer it.
Speaker 8: Let's go back to the characters responsible here, the main characters and the ones. You paint a very vivid portrait of Raymond Smiley Chili and you can tell us Whyley call him Smiley. And Douglas Lizard Gustafson, you tell us where.
Speaker 5: The name is. Uh. Raymond Smiley Chile and Douglas Lizard Gustuson are neither bright men nor endearing characters. They're convicted teenage murderers. Now. Chile's nickname derives from his continual grin. He looks as happy just as if he had brains. Gustuson earned his reputation by his lack of human warmth. Naturally, they became the best of friends. They went to Chugak Heights School, a well known educational institution where they dissipated their mid teen years and repeated displays of antisocial behavior. And they had a bunch of buddies that hung out with them. There was Travis and Eric and this guy and that guy, and they did all sorts of typical fun teenage things like blowing up mailboxes. You know, there's not too much to do in Shoegiac. Everyone liked Chili because he had a big suburban and he'd organized parties. He could get a lot of people in that suburban. And they were also known for as the Burden Brothers because they used to put out their cigarettes in their arms apparently a shortage of astrays in Shoegiac. They didn't think to show they were tough or nuts. We're both or one of the two. They were fairly fearless. They would rob places, do all sorts of stupid stuff. Yeah, they would get arrested to get in trouble for things. They were juveniles, and he can't do too much to them. You know, you don't want to because with the law enforcement theory, if a juvenile's a linquin can make it to the age of twenty four, you got nothing more to worry about because usually by then they've either grown up or they've got married, and that'll usually slow them down tremendously when they've got a ball in chain if it's not the president's spouse, so that usually takes care of him. But with Chili, not Raymond Chili, but rather Lizard Gustus. And if they wanted to give me the nickname Lizard, I wouldn't be that pleased. But apparently didn't bother him. He always wanted to be a sniper, whether officially or unofficially, so he mail ordered I believe a nice sniper rifle. Of course, what's the kid going to do with a rifle like that? Except he was it recklessly. He apparently didn't take very many gun safety courses, or if they did, they totally ignore them. For driving along in the car Smiley is driving, Lizard is in the passenger seat, and little George is in the back seat. Lizard has his brand new weapon and he decides he's going to fire it, and so he does. That sniper rifle arrived October nineteenth, nineteen ninety and They had a funny evening set up. They had some prostitutes meeting them at a motel where they're all just going to you know, smoked open ab sex, which sounds perfectly fine to me, except that on the way to this old party, Lizard decides he's going to take a pot shot with the rifle. The bullet comes out of the rifle, goes through the rear window of another car and kills this kid in I don't mean a little kid, but you know, a young man in the passenger seat. Now that's fairly shocking right there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you talk about this Jeffrey Kane. He was the passenger of a shot. But they don't stop, and they don't realize that they've actually killed anyone, despite targeting this car that they used the premise that they had cut him off, so they shot.
Speaker 5: But every time someone cuts me off in a car, Lord knows, I get out of sniper rifle. Sure sure, yeah, So.
Speaker 8: They don't really, they don't realize immediately and that they've actually killed this guy till George care the next morning reads the paper. What does he read in the paper, and then what does he decide to do?
Speaker 5: Well, he has more fics and brains and the other two put together. The next morning, he gets up, he asked to get to work, gets a cab home, butus he's the morning newspaper and he realizes that guests hasn't hadn't missed. He calls the guys at the hotel, told them what happened. They told him to keep his damn mouth shut. Well, he figured if he didn't take immediate action to protect himself, his life and future were in immediate danger because he was in the car when the gun was fired. Hanging out with teenage the tough guys is one thing, but murders something else entirely. And that's when he told his boss what happened. Now by Shirk Wittens, his boss's attorney was there at the same time, and he told the kid to go to the police and do it immediately. So he did, and he told the cops everything and agreed to wear a hidden recorder to tape incriminating conversations with she lead Gusterson. So oh well, David Carratt thought his son was at work. He was really out with the police getting wired up. Long story short, Uh, he got them on on wire, you know, blatantly talking about killing. Uh, shooting either intentionally or intentionally this uh, Jeffrey Kane Fellow and the media attention on this, as you can imagine, was beyond extensive. It was Anchorage's first drive by shooting and uh, you know what else you got to talk about up there, you know, Uh, and it became really a big story.
Speaker 8: You have a scene in this in this story, though again very movie esque, where Chili doesn't was at the house of Georgeia with his dad, and so they they were there to make sure they were on a premise there that they needed David to help them with their vehicle. But really was there, you right, that was really basically there to make sure he didn't write out and at the same time tell us what was happening while they were there to ensure he didn't rite out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know what, David cared about the zones of work. George was really with the cops. Finally, he calls his dad explaining what happened the night before and how we planned to help the police. Now, as you say, when George called his dad, he had no idea that Chili was right there at the house. Chili was obviously there to make sure that George had rolled over on him, and you know, like you said, he made up this nonsense story about anything helped preparing the truck. Well, here's his dad standing there listening to his son tell him about this murder while the perpetrators are standing right there next to him. So he has to do it best to cover up what he's saying, what the conversation is about, without tipping off Chili. The George has already gone to the cops. Now as a precaution, the cops sent George to talk to Doug Augustus, And meanwhile the police contacted everyone on the fringe of Chili Shrinking gang and got all of them to wear wires, so everybody's recording everybody else, and the fans to authorize wiretops on everybody in Alaska's phone. I mean, this comes up later, you know, this comes up after the after the kid puppy dog George is attempted murder, when his father is killed and his step mom has melted. So you've got this big story, a big trial. Chili and Gustus and are sent to prison for life. Now this doesn't stop Chili from gritting constantly, and it doesn't stop lizend from being cold. But Chili puts together a hit list of everybody he's going to get even with, and he's going to kill him. He's gonna blow him up. He's gonna do something horrible to him, everyone from the judge to the prosecutor. But most of all, who they most despise, who they most hate, is George, Little George, puppy dog, George, cute kid. They want to kill him more than anything because he rated him out and he did it smartly, needd it immediately. Well, the question is is how do you get a mail bomb, how do you make it, how do you mail it? And how do you kill your victim? Well, they did everything except the last part. They killed I can't say the wrong people because it's not right to kill people, but they killed George's father and destroyed the life pretty darn much of his stepmom.
Speaker 8: Michelle. When she was questioned by Anchorage police and by later by the Inspector's US Postal Inspectors the task Force, she somehow knew and thought and was adamant that it was Augustin is responsible.
Speaker 5: Because there was no secret that Gusta said. And chi Lei absolutely hated little George because He was the kid that you know, was in the back seat when they pulled the trigger. Uh, he'd been with him, you know, the night before party at the Botel and Uh, they figured that we bought better make sure George doesn't rat us out on this. He's got to keep his mouth shut. Well, George didn't keep his mouth shut. He told the truth. And they, I mean, they didn't blame themselves for what resulted in this innocent guy's death. They shot on the highway, but they blamed George for talking about it, and so their big revenge was to kill him. And the way they're going to endure it is a mail bomb.
Speaker 8: You write that two hours after the explosion, the investigative Task Force was formed. We mentioned in the introduction Anchorage Police Department, US Department of Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol to back when firearms ATF and Inspector Russell Mabray is task force leader. They spent a couple of weeks at the crime scene to establish that this was an actual What found materials that you only find at radio shacks, So they had all kinds of forensic evidence. But they also you talk about an Inspector Matthew Allen. We all know that well that most or I think all prison will record on cow call but are reported.
Speaker 5: But that doesn't mean anybody who listens to him they're in lies. The crux of the matter, this guy must have had the patience of two saints, because he sits and he listens to hours upon hours upon hours of banal, boring, useless prisoner phone conversations. Chili gustuson not saying anything. I mean, I gotta tell you I had in my position thanks to the United States Postal Inspectors. They gave me absolutely everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything. I received his giant box of transcripts of wire taps on these characters. Now, just listening to their conversations is bad enough, but reading them, if you have any command of the language, is a horrifying experience. I'm at a loss for words. As a word smith, I'm a loss for words. I got so tired of a four letter word that begins with F and ends with K that if I never saw that word again in my entire life, I'd be perfectly happy. Every every word was prefaced with some form of that. So it was like George Carlin is a comedy Boutino and how useful that word is. It could be now a verb, an age, and an averb. They used it in ways even Carlan never mentioned. And I'll tell you, their conversations were as blunt as their vocabulary, devoid of any depth, and there was just just even to read it, I mean, have to get too deep. I mean, these guys weren't famous for the use of metaphors. It was it was all right there, you know, but every other word was an expletive. They just like rained on it constantly. So this is an example of how cooperative everybody was in this case with me. And one reason for that s the fact that one of the story told and sold well was that the US Postal Inspection Service hadn't been the subject of anything since nineteen forty nine movie Post Office Investigator, starring what male lead was, but Audrey Long was the female lead, and she was the wife became wife of Leslie Charteriss, author of The Saint See What a Small World It is? Yes it is, So that was kind of an interesting little tie in there, But I mean they were really aggravated. I think Jim Bordinay when we were first talking about doing this book, he said I was watching the news, and he said FBI agents aided by postal workers righted the office of such and such. That sounded like you visualize, you know, these mail carriers rushing in pulling machine guns out their mail bags. Well, no, the United States Postal Inspection Service has a bigger and better lab than the FBI. That usually doesn't incur to people. The US Postal Inspectors Investigative Service is state of the art everything. They're ready beyond the FBI, or at least they were at the time. Now here's the shocking little thing that I uncovered that most people don't know. In the nineteen nineties, early nineteen nineties, I came who was head of the FBI then called me. I think may have been well, I can't recall one of the to the average teenager in America had more computer power in their bedroom than the FBI had altogether. The FBI still didn't have computers with hard drives. They had like you know, Franklin A's twelve hundred oms, you know, with CPM on floppies. This is what the FBI had because there hadn't been a budgetary allocation for computers for the Federal Bureau of investigation. Can you imagine that they had to bring in someone from the computer industry, which they did to testify before Congress. It was imperative that the United States come up with the money to buy the FBI computers, in fact, computers with hard drives and computers that had a mouse. I mean, that's how what the state was had a log of our FBI in the early nineteen nineties. So there had to be a lot of upgrades h to the FBI. That's a little sidebar story there you might find of interest because we always think of the FBI as being state of the art. Well, the art of the state had to get up with the state of the art whatsoever at that time.
Speaker 6: Okay, Round two. Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 4: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 6: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbu casino.
Speaker 8: Chum.
Speaker 7: That's right, chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 6: Chump chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 7: We're looking at plus start the condition of the blue website retails.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky in line of the Delhi, I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 6: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You can get lucky anywhere playing at lucky Landsloughts dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 4: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: We're just necessary foroid my long eighteen plus terms conditions, plus everything.
Speaker 5: Else with this.
Speaker 8: Inspector Matthew Allen from the US Postal Inspector Investigative Task Force on September fifth, he discovered in nineteen ninety one, twelve days before the explosion, Gustafson called Peggy Yeah, giving instructions by fixing her car. What did he find by listening to that transcript or reading that transcript and listening to that phone call? What did he determine that those instructions actually were?
Speaker 5: Okay? I think I got it right here. As a matter of fact, I wrote the book that's thought. This isn't because of perfect memory. It's because I got the book here, Alan called it Inspectors Babery and Polling. The more they listened, the more they learned. The conspiracy to murder Kerr involved Pagy, Doug, their brother Craig Raymond chee Ley, a mutual friend Joseph Ryan. Doug told Peggy that when it was all done, he'd sit back and he'd sell quote, smoke a nice juicy cigar, down a glass of spirits and laughed so hard. That's not a good sign. Now. The phone recordings also revealed Peggy's erotic dream in which she kills George with her bare hands after hitting it with her car. That extra was actually included the original charging documents final against Pegy, which formed the basis for her initial arrest. Those are pretty wild, and you know, I started off the book with that, with that dream where she because it was really weird, because she's telling her brother about this herotic dream she has where she shits George on purpose with her car and then he's laying there on the gravel with blood coming out of his mouth, and she breaks his neck with her bare hands, and she's got blood on her hands and she almost has an orgasm telling this story. And so does her brother. He just loves to listen, but he reminds me be careful about the blood. After all, word Jehovah's witnesses. We got to watch out for that blood. And they were Jeovah's witnesses. As a matter of fact, no bad reflection on the witnesses. They don't need Peggy and Doug reflecting. I'm sure.
Speaker 8: You talk about too that once the from the again from this phone line, and from some of the things incriminating things that Peggy said and other people said, and you say there was more than there was not just George ca wire tap, and that was very effective getting incriminating evidence. There was also other evidence presented at this trial. There was also another person named Joseph Ryan. What was his rule in this? And tell us a little bit about.
Speaker 5: With him, Poor Joseph Ryan. I can't figure this went out. This is one for the legal books that I'm sure it's reference somewhere in fact. Aaron Moriarty, who does the CBS forty eight Hours, she was a guest on my show a few times and I said, Aaron, can you imagine a case where someone is found guilty and sentenced to fifty seven months in prison for a crime they've never been charged with. She says, no, that's impossible, And I said, well, you got to meet Joseph Ryan. Joseph Ryan had absolutely virtually nothing to do with this. He was just a buddy of Chili's. And he said, hey, you go over to the yard like that. If you've ever been to Alaska or be sure, Washington. That much difference. He got people who've got yards, they've got cars and trucks and all sorts of stuff, you know, out there, and pick up a couple of these items for me that her mind has stored over there. And you know this individual items, there's blasting caps and you know, nothing illegal. And yet he was found guilty of possession of what firearm? Illegal firearm position? He was never charged with it. As a jury came back and he was found innocent of everything, but still sentenced to fifty seven months in prist for a crime that he was ever charged with. That is unique in the annals of American law. Now you think that he would get paid minimum wage for every hour he spent in prison after being found innocent and a letter of apology just did go to the appeals court. The Court of Appeal said, yes, this is a really ridiculous error, but we don't care. We'll just let us slide. Which isn't very substanti of supportive or legal system where people could be found guilty of crimes they've never been charged with. But it happened absolutely positively. Now, of course Peggy actually did have very direct involvement aside from me. There's no crime to have erotic dreams about murdering someone or listening to them, But knowing that you're delivering a male bomb, that's culpability for sure. And she knew, she knew exactly what she was delivering, she knew what it was supposed to accomplish, and she thought it was absolutely wonderful idea.
Speaker 8: What was Craig's rule in the bomb making and delivery?
Speaker 5: Okay, I got to refresh my memory here of being it has been more than a week or two since since I wrote wrote the book.
Speaker 8: But he.
Speaker 5: He was going to cooperate, I believe, the other the other brother, but he came up with a brilliant idea. He ran away. Yeah, he ran away from Alaska. And you know what's interesting is that in the United States, if someone is involved in murder or another Henus crime almost without exception. Guess where they run away to and you guess Las Vegas, Nevada. For some reason, people believe that if you go to Las Vegas, no one will find you. That's not true. As a matter of fact, following some murders where the prison vanishes, they know who they're looking for. They will send detectives first and foremost to Las Vegas, Nevada, because they know. People say they can't go to Las Vegas and not be found. It's not that big a city, for aven sakes. Serial killers will travel across country to go to Las Vegas to get caught. And people also think they can take counterfeit money or counterfeit money orders to Las Vegas and no one's going to notice, not really realizing that the United States Secret Service has with the biggest office in Las Vegas, Nevada. You know, law enforcements, you know, they may have a ITQ cap at some local department, but when it comes to federal as you're talking about some pretty smart people. Anyway, he runs off not to Las Vegas, but to Los Angeles. And this is where again it gets very strange. This is like something exactly right out of a movie. He calls back home to his wife or girlfriend, whatever she is, and says there's a was it a ten thousand dollars reward for his capture? So he tells his girlfriend, I want you to get the reward, so turn me in and get and get the money. Well, she keeps him on the phone long enough for them to trace the call, and they trace it to the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood, California, which is fairly close to Grauman's Chinese Theater as a matter of fact, and there's a movie being filmed at the Roosevelt at that time. The technical advisor to the motion picture happens to be good buddies with the real raw enforcement officer who comes crashing in to arrest the kid who's going from the phone booth, but they have to pass through the movie set to get to him, and the advisor on the movie thinks it's a practical joke, but they really are there run to arrest somebody, and that's the kid in the phone booth. So that was a very very strange scene, as you can imagine. Now.
Speaker 8: That was on what.
Speaker 5: March twelfth, I guess, Well, that's when Craig gust Is called and confessed of his role. But they know they didn't arrest him right away, and they hadn't arrested him until uh, he was down down here in Hollywood. In fact, none of these people were arrested. Now you might say, why weren't theyre arrested, Well, a couple of reasons. They wanted to keep their offices open on who all was involved in this conspiracy and who was a conspiracy not like some of the ones that people make up, but I mean, this was a real one and they weren't through all that were involved. Also, investigations of this nature are horrifyingly expensive cost of fortune. Who is going to pick up the tab for this? The uh, the police in Shugiak, the police in law enforcement and Anchorage, or the federal government. Well, who's gonna who's gonna pay for everything? This is a big issue. And as I'm sure you recall, the reason why you're you're a wonderful serial killer up there Vancouver, the guy with the hog farm, and the reason they didn't go after him, even though they knew it was him and he knew it was going on, was because, well they have three reasons. They said, well, we can't afford it. We don't know what we're doing, is number three, and we're not trained in doing this, so we'll let it slide. You know, after all, who cares how many people get murdered? We just can't afford this. Well. Finally, I believe the wise Canadian government coughed up some cosmic cash to pay for the investigation, very similar to what happened in Spokane with the investigation of the Spokane serial killer, which dragged on longer practically than reruns the Isle of Lucy millions and millions of dollars. Finally, the US government had come up with eight million dollars I believe to pay the expenses of the Homicide Task Force. People don't stop and realize how expensive these coordinated investigations are. So there was an agreement made between the FEDS, the federal agencies, and the local investigators that they will all work together, but the Feds would handle the actual arrests, prosecution, etc. So they have these several federal agencies involved, as you mentioned, and they didn't really come out and arrest anybody or press charges until they had all their proverbial culprits together, and there wasn't a change of venue. I mean, and I can certainly understand that is, how in the world are these guys, the girls, men and women going to get a fair trial when this has been so extensively covered in media that everybody I mean, I mean, it always stuns me. Of course, it's a little different there in Canada, were not allowed to talk about it. Ongoing case tell us resolved. We're here in the USA. All you gonna do is go on Facebook and listen to these people with absolutely no knowledge of anything, saying I know so and so is guilty. I know, so everybody everyone knows they did it. Well, how do they know they did it? They haven't seen it. All they know is they saw the person's name, you know, as being a suspect or not being a suspect. Oh, I know who did it. I know we'll never get out a jury, of course of that attitude, but I mean, people do win the conclusion jumping competition in the twenty twenty Olympics every time there's a high profile case. Well, so they moved it, I think, moved it out of Alaska down in San Francisco to try to, you know, get an impartial jury, which is which can be difficult in any situation where is a great deal of cover, which especially if you have someone. I think it was when Manson was charged the President of United States referred to as being guilty before the trial. That was a little much. Yeah, but you understand what I mean. So they've got to change your venue. The wound up of course, everybody being found guilty of something and even people who were found innoc and went to prison. Which is a Festol hosted a spin on American justice.
Speaker 8: Let's use this as an opportunity, birl. Just for a second, we're going to talk about that trial because there's some dramatic evidence put on the big screen at that trial. Again, another very movie esque scene with stuff for a second to talk about our sponsor this program, Blue Apron. Blue Apron delivers farm fresh ingredients and step by step recipes to your door. Blue Apron's mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone. Blue Apron achieves this by supporting a more sustainable food system, setting the highest standards for ingredients, and building a community of home chefs. Let Blue Apron do the meal prep for you, making back to school easier than ever. Dinner in as little as twenty minutes. Quick and easy recipes with insanely delicious flavors, perfectly portioned ingredients delivered right to your door, chef designed recipes and exciting September partnerships like Bob's Burger Inspired and Whole thirty approved. Now I tried the Whole thirty approved the spice crusted salmon and carrot fries with avocado, kale salad and chipolte dipping sauce. I was as interested just in the description. This was very easy, straightforward recipe and voila fantastic meal made by me. What a unique, amazing combination of flavors. I felt. This recipe again was approved by Whole thirty. So check out this week's menu and get your first three meals free at blue apron dot com slash murder. That's blue apron dot com slash murder to get your first three meals free Blue Apron a better way to cook Now. Burle tell us a little bit about what I alluded to was the dramatic prosecution showing a photo of the Michelle and two photos. So tell us about the two photos that almost made somebody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of the jurors almost vomited in the court room because it was just so horrifying. First they put up a picture of David and Michelle's wedding, their wedding picture, you know, their happy, smiling faces on their wedding day. And then he cut directly to a picture of his totally mangled burg corpse and her melted face. And it was so horrifying and graphic that one of the jurors had we restrained Chase of from actually vomiting right there in the courtroom.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you have also, yes, you have also that his behavior in well, actually we won't talk about Doug Gustafson. We got to go back a little bit to both of these people's behavior. Doug Gustafson and then later Raymond Cheley Smiley. Chiley didn't have the smile on his face when he went to travel. Let's first talk about Doug Gustafson readily admits what he did. Yeah, tell us why why you think he did that? And what exactly did he say about that?
Speaker 5: Well, he said that if people would have followed his directions, if they would have done things the way he wanted it done, David and Michelle would be alive today. He only wanted to kill a little George, and he has no plans to send any more bombs. But he was proud of the work he did and that mail bomb ready and instructing Peggy. And he felt bad that David was killed, and he felt bad that Michelle had her face melted and her eyes filled with glass. That wasn't part of the plan. No, the plan the way he wanted was George gets killed. George didn't get killed, and these two, in his mind, innocent people didn't. He said, he felt really bad about that. So, as you may know, this bizarre twist and the tail here is that Doug Gustusson teamed up with Michelle to sue the state for negligence in not stopping the mail bomb. Right. He felt sorry for her, and he wanted to cost to state a lot of money. But he adding more tragedy to this story. Insurance had offered her a settlement. I think it was two million dollars. She didn't feel that was enough, and I think she was right. But when they went to court, there was judgments against the state, judgments against Chile, judgments against Augustus, and judgment against Ryan, who was quite wondering while they all. He wound up at all this, and that the state was only responsible for twelve percent of the total cost which came out by the time he got done with her legal fees and one thing and another, she got less than the two millions she would have got up. She was just taken the deal of the insurance company. So she broke down in tears right there in the court rum when even though she won, she didn't win anything. And that was even more tragic. It was not one thing and something else, you know, he did Douglas and said he wanted to cost him millions of dollars. And so the state added Augustus and Chile and Ryan as co defendants to share the costs should she win her case. Well she did, but they didn't have any money, of course, and so that meant she got, as my father said, hay Cocks Bolovinis didn't get anything, you know, next to nothing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you talk about July fifteenth, ninety two, because the Department of Justice decides to go for the death penalty for Raymond Chile and July fifteenth, nineteen ninety two, Craig pleads guilty. Craig gusts and pleads guilty to mailing the bomb or being involved with the bomb and testifies against Ryan and Raymond Chile, and for this deal he gets twenty two and a half years. You talk about also jail house informants and their importance in this what oh yeah, informance.
Speaker 5: The prosecution dragged out prison in foremant so quickly they couldn't lie straight in bed, and these guys would change the stories with this concerning rapidity, and when they were confronted with her, dishonesty didn't seem to bother him. One of them testified under oath that Chili was involved in activity. The simple fact check showed that he wasn't even there at the time, and so they you know, the jailouts and formants are not exactly reliable witnesses. But I think what really did it was the pictures, which I would imagine the defense probably objected to the prosecution showing those pictures as would have so much of an emotional impact, But the facts of the matter were still fairly clear. One error that prosecutors make I've noticed, and I'm sure they notice it too, or maybe they don't beause they're not true crime writers. Maybe we have the blessing of being a little farther removed, since the perspective is going for the typical one, is going for a common scheme or plan when it isn't and that blows up in their face. Or trotting out unreliable witnesses, paid informants, and people with no veracity to them whatsoever. Then instead of bolstering the prosecution's case, makes them look like they're desperate by bringing out all sorts of people who lie on the witness stand and blatantly. So I don't think that's ever a good idea. If your case is strong enough, it's not a matter do you think you can win it is? I don't know what about up in Canada, but the United States, it's not so much. The system of true justice in most cases is can we win it? Whether the person is guilty or not, can we win it? And that becomes the contest. I think we can win this one, not, you know, And then that's not what the prosecutors. People think it's the prosecution's job to prosecute people. It's not. It's to prosecute justice to get justice done of the person's not the one, you know. It doesn't matter if you can build the case, is it true? It says it's really a difficult situation. I'm sure you're aware of the one. And I had the woman on my show too. Maybe you had her on as well. She wrote a book about a case in San Diego where the woman was convicted of poisoning her husband with a heart snack and then using some of the insurance mind you get a book job and having sex with every marine in San Diego, well not every but every other. She was innocent, but they found her guilty because they were able to push this thing through with enough smoking mirrors, and they won it on appeal. However, the arcstic evidence experts came forward and said, I told them she didn't do it, but they said they could win it anyway. They'd be a true crime book as heroes versus you know, sending this woman away. Finally, it was allowed that the woman could sue these San Diego prosecutors for twelve million dollars, which she did plus her heart. So, you know, some of the desire to be partially famous in a true crime book by being the winning prosecutor. If you're prosecuting people who didn't do it, there's no glory there.
Speaker 8: You're writ in the book though, that Peggy and Craig Gustavson both were testified at trial against Raymond Chiley and Ryan. And then Craig is now hasn't assumed identity and is in witness protection in prison. So there was clearly whether they gave him that evidence or he gave them the evidence that they needed for the prosecution. And when you talk about again and again, another movie esque scene in this is that Raymond Chile Chile's response when he gets sentenced tell us about what happens at the trial in terms of guilt or innocence, and then what does Raymond Chile do in response to the sentence.
Speaker 5: Well, I was there in person for the sentencing. I flew up to Alaska and because I was working on the book back then, you know, twenty some years ago as a guest of the US Postalist Spectures, who again I cannot compliment enough on how gracious uh they were to me and continue to be. I think if I ever get in trouble, I'll call them, you know, yeah, helped me out, you guys, I did a poke about uh yes, And I was there when Michelle gave her you know, victim's impact statement, and she just gave him hell. I mean how they destroyed her life, their face, her vision or future, or her husband or home. And Raymond laughed. He didn't just smile, he laughed, Well, she was a nervous laugh. What you got to be amused about. He's going to be sent off, you know, and he's already in prison for murder. What else are they going to do to him?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 5: You know, like there was a counterfeiting case that uh I was informed about where they were looking for this master counterfeitter and they finally found him in prison. What we're gonna do? Send him home? What do you do when the criminal new catch is already in prison?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you talk about Peggy's sentence twenty four years and four months. What if she's talking about her husband?
Speaker 5: Pardon we should she out now? Has it been twenty four years and six months?
Speaker 8: Could be it is, yes, yes, it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's probably working down a walmart.
Speaker 8: Wow. Her husband, Dennis didn't have anything to do with this, Didy.
Speaker 5: No, he had had nothing to do and he was disgusted by the entire concept. I mean, you know, it's it's upsetting enough to have your your spouse maybe having an affair with the local grocery clerk or the pool boy. Of course, you gonna have pool boys in Alaska, and if they have an ice boys, uh, pool breeze is over. But to find out that your wife was joyously committing murder and one of the most heinous, discussing crimes in Alaskan history, You're not going to be amused by that at all. I mean, he announced that he was getting a divorce. He didn't want to stay married to her, He didn't want to be faithful to her for twenty four years and six months while she languished in prison for the horrible murder that she helped take place, and weighed on her. I mean, I don't know how much it would have waited on her for the killing of the person she wanted to kill, which was George Contemporary, the only guy with the ethics practically in this whole story. Said maybe for Craig and Joseph, who was innocent of everything and yet did all the time in prison. Maybury told me that he saw her after she'd been in prison in a while well, and he could see that it was eating her alive. You know what she had done, the pain and suffering and death and destruction, that she had participated in. I'm sure had a negative effect on her self image. You know, it's hard to think well of yourself. And it wasn't that she accidentally fell into it, like a clean kid into a coal shoot. She joyously participated in what she envisioned as the horrifying murder of George Carr, when instead it was the horrifying murderer of George's father, in the complete disfiguration of his stepmother.
Speaker 8: Did Michelle Was Michelle present when they flashed the photo of her wedding and then of her of the crime scene? Was she there to witness that?
Speaker 5: I don't know the answer to that one, Dan. I was not in the court room for the trial. I was only there for the sentencing and the victim's impact statement. But I can't imagine that she'd that she'd be there. I can't imagine that if I was her, I wouldn't want to see that. She was lucky if she could see anything, and she was mostly blind. She still like glass in her eyes long after this had happened. Because she's standing in the kitchen when this explosion went. It was amazing that she was able to say, Doug Gustafson, you know, and I point that she knew who would have been behind it, that that's how much she doug hated her stepson. But I mean there was firstly nothing left, but her face was gone. She was blind shere ear drums exploded.
Speaker 8: Really yeah, and you you saw it was she was she there? Was she there at the sentencing? Well obviously she wasn't yeah to get back statement, yeah, obviously.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The whole thing was fairly horrible and shed you know, dark glasses and face kind of covered. I mean, you know, what do you do in that situation? Who was to no fault of her owness, who's so horribly disfigured? I mean, gover only. I mean, I've got a friend of mine who was held captive by some guys that should have known better, but it was drunk and disorderly. He beat her face in a took ten thousand dollars worth of surgery on her face to reconstruct it. I mean I saw her the day after she got away from this guy, and she'd just been beaten, and what her face looked like van and then the surgery and I mean now actually actually looks she did before and gave her a nice new face. It's not the face she starts did with.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: I can't relate to the emotional despair that someone could go through in that kind of terrible situation, and it's just beyond my I mean, I can sympathize, but I can't empathize. I can't imagine what they were, how hawful that would be.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, you talked about Michelle's bills at that time, that it accumulated by the time of that civil trial, that four hundred thousand, so over.
Speaker 5: Four hundred thousand dollars medical expenses, and that that was what nineteen ninety Yeah, but that twenty eighteen dollars and it's you know, well over a million, one million and a half.
Speaker 8: Well, what it seemed is that even though of the four hundred thousand, they were not ending, I mean, there was more surgeries to go, it was more work. Oh yeah, Augustly, Yeah, it was. That's the disappointment with the settlement too. The settlement was both here, you won the.
Speaker 5: Case, and you get less than what we offered you in the first place.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's incredible. Yeah, you talk about how big the media response was to this, how far reaching it was in terms of people being interested in this story, How did they portray this story? And just tell us a little bit more about the media and its response.
Speaker 5: Well, you got to figure what is the population of Alaska relatives anywhere else, and how many media outlets do they have. Well, you've got the Anchorage newspaper, but I got the two g X shopping News. You got your network affiliates. And when I was up there, I think the biggest news was if there was a bear walk in the J C. Pennies. You know, that's the thing that surprised me so much about Anchorage is that it's it's smaller than Spokane, Washington. Now, I was at the prosecutor's office. They were really great too, meeting with the federal prosecutor there. And then I got my rental car and I was driving to the home of one of the US Postal inspectors. And I got to tell you it was summertime and it was gorgeous up there, and the sun never said it always looked like it was dusk when the sun went down, it didn't go down. It was like seven o'clock at night, dusk, my favorite time of day. All night and they'd been out hunting and they were making reindeer meatballs. As a matter of fact, there was no deer in Alaska. It just rein deer, Okay anyway. So I went to drive to this guy's house. I kind of space out. Next thing I know, I'm in the middle of nowhere. Bam. I was out of town that past. You think you're in a capitol city, it's gonna have some streets to it, but it's a small town and everything else is smaller. So when you've got a major story like this, it saturates everything. It saturates every radio broadcast, every TV broadcast, every pair run of the newspaper, and individuals conversations, and the majority of those conversations were recorded with federal wiretaps.
Speaker 8: Well, you do single out and the US Postal Service Inspection Service is really happy to be able to work with you to highlight the work that they did do. And it wasn't impressive, as you say, the budget that they have and the technology that is available to them. But also as an investigative arm of the government, and I didn't realize their importance and as a result, what they have in place in case they need the investigative UH services of the US postal team. So hence this task force was put together with a lot of people, a lot of investigators, and a lot of emphasis and no constraints in terms of budget for this, did.
Speaker 5: They No, I mean this was this was top priority, and everybody cooperated with everybody else. So we're in the game playing power trips, you know, uh, boundaries barriers. In fact, they gave the it was a Inspector of the Year award, uh to the chief of police of Anchorage, who wasn't part of the federal team because it was so cooperative.
Speaker 8: Uh it was.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the kind of dedication you had. This crime was so horrific and so threatening that I mean just time to think of it. We all go to you know, pick up our mail every day and shuffle to the bills and the junk mail and to about to think about it. We don't think about someone destroying our home, murdering our wife, husband and children whatever at the mail and so they uh, you know, when you in the United States, when you put a letter in the mailbox to go out, it is no longer your property. It then becomes the property of the United States government. Un tell us delivered. And so if someone's messing with it got big problems and the next chiste I wanted to do this post the spectas shourwed me onto which was absolutely fascinating, but no publisher wants it because no one's murdered. Was I'll just take a minute to tell you this. I think you'll find it interesting as a journalist. A lady writes a letter to the Posts Spectrums and said, boy, I'm really mad. I paid twelve dollars a classified ads in the paper to how to figure out my winning lottery numbers. That was going to get you know, doctor Svendrick's secret lottery, you know whatever, but I never got it. Well, that's a violation of postal law, not selling how to win the lottery. But not if you're charging someone twelve bucks, you better deliver it.
Speaker 8: Sure, And so.
Speaker 5: They noticed that the po box that he was supposed to mail was in some other ads as well. And as you may know, it's against the law in America to buy tickets and foreign lotteries. If you're having a lottery in Canada American citizens, we can't buy a Canadian lotto ticket.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 5: Well, there was this guy who would target widowers and widows who had just lost their spouse, had befriend them on the phone and convince them to buy foreign lottery tickets and then tell them that they'd won and wanted to reinvest them and more tickets, and I'm sending you a form designed to make that easy for you. And the forum was a power of attorney over all their bank accounts, and he looked them of every cent they ever had. And they was doing it out of Canada, where it was a misdemeanor. Oh well, And they finally finally got this guy who was in India or something. He had several million dollars stashed in Seattle Bank. They were able to seize that. But his total punishment for this most heartless of crimes, which he was making millions and millions of dollars looting these people. He's only people's life savings is he did I think it was eighteen months minimum security in federal prison and then was released that he had millions stashed all over the world. The only way they were getting it was civil judgments against him. By Ireland I think went after him for thirty three million. The UK went after him for I think an equal amount. Whether they got it or not, I don't know, but you may know heartless someone would be to do that. And he wasn't doing it alone. He had another woman, another guy working with him, befriending these lonely, sad people who just lost her husband or wife and then robbing him of everything.
Speaker 8: Sure. Well, it's this example of people taking advantage of the very the most vulnerable, and we see that with in these murder cases all the time. I mean, they're mad at the world, so they take it out on somebody else that has been victimized by society.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say, the people's like bullies. A friend of mine runners campaign, you know, stop bullying. They say, bullies don't care to be told to stop bullying. Who's going to stop it? Bullys don't care because all bullies are afraid. It's a fear of response. They were bullied, they were abused, and when they see someone weak, it triggers that whole fear response of when they were weak. And just that's the thing, if they're asking for it, you see that person was asking for it because that's what they were told. That being weak is asking for it. Yeah, and that's a tragic situation. Until we stopped the whole thing of abusing each other. We'll have bullies.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what was interesting in this book, whereas in a full length book we would get a little bit more of I'm just curious because we never mentioned there was a person named Robert Chamberlain was the person driving the truck that passed Raymond Cheley and Gustafson and they decided he had cut them off. So Jeffrey Kane, as we mentioned, was the passengers, was shot in the back of the head. We never really you don't really mention, but it'd be very interesting to know the fate of Robert Chambers what he felt.
Speaker 5: And you are absolutely correct. If this had been a larger it's a big enough story. If it had been a larger book, and it is available as an audio book standalone, and it's available in print in the book Masters of True Crime, edited by our Berry Flowers, I would have followed up on that for sure, and there'd be a lot more about the investigation. I couldn't put it. I wanted to put in a picture of the uh, the agent who listened to all the hours of the tapes, right, and they said no, because he works undercover. Hello, Yeah, and they didn't want his picture.
Speaker 8: This call well, it's a theme of true crime uncensored.
Speaker 5: So yeah, interesting, that's the theme from the Saints.
Speaker 8: Yea, let's talk about your incredible true crime podcast as I did.
Speaker 5: It's a strange thing you've been doing these podcasts, who you were much hip to the hip or to it that I ever was in terms of how to build that audience. I can remember calling you up and said, how do I get this thing on iTunes? I couldn't figure it out. But along came Anchor FM, who did what mixed cloud these other places or blog talk didn't do, and that is that they give all of that plus the little hearts. I do my show, which is you know, live Saturdays at two o'clock on alfhol RadioLIVE dot com, and Douglas Shearer has been recording it for me every week dutifully for the past couple of years, although I think this coming weeks his last I did recording and someone else I simply uploaded to Anchor FM, and they upload it to every podcast platform that exists, iTunes, Google Play, this one. That one. I don't have to mess with it, which was driving me nuts. So it's interesting to look at the listenership just on the podcast, not at the live audience, because that's really hard to judge. We know our old server, the thing would blow up and we got to two hundred and fifty thousand, We're gonna sell them, blew up and we got a new server on that. But since it went up on on iTunes and other stuff, I can watch every week, it just goes higher and hire and hire and hire. And what's interesting to me is what episodes get the largest number of downloads. And ironically was calling me just now was Leonard Bouschell, who is a former drug smuggler who now produces the Real Recovery Film Festivals. He founded Writers and Treatment, which is similar the Music Cares as the founder. Writ is a nonprofit with Robert Downey to provide financial aid and treatment to people who work in the writing and publishing industry who may have problems with drug, alcohol, or other behavioral problems that they don't have insurance. And he produces the Experience, Strength and Hope Awards. And we did an interview with him a year ago November, I think October November about the upcoming Real Recovery Film Festival, and with everything else, that still remains our most downloaded episode.
Speaker 8: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and may I just because it says drug smuggler retired. I think people want to hear about drug smullers. But most and of course we have our friend Punch published Santa Meravic, the world's second greatest diamond thief. His father's number one, because his dad never got caught, never went to prison. He unfortunately or fortunately did get caught. That's kind of interesting because well, how did he get caught. Well, he got caught twice, once because he made a mistake and the second time because someone in the same building as the Diamond highs the taking place. It was like a gym still manufacturing place. You were not a private home. He never did that. It was like a commercial place. But there were apartments in the same buildings. And this guy went nuts and decapitated the family cat, the family parakeet, and the family father and threw his father's head out in the middle of the street, so he had homicide trying to catch this guy. In the process of trying to catch him, they run in where Punch and his buddy are doing this multi million dollar diamondized and they go, oh, need man, we were just eater trying to buy the same place a smoke a joint they tried to pull back on. That's so you never know what weird thing's gonna happen. You know. It's like I was you ever seen that Stanley uh uh Kramer Koberilia the too Confused U Kramer filmed the killing starting Stirling Hayden. No. Uh, it's a it's a height movie. It's a racetrack robbery and they plant it down to the last little detail and things. When the things can go wrong, it doesn't take much, you know. And uh, it's a great, great film if you get a chance to watch it. He couldn't remake it today because the way the restrictions aren't. Getting on airplanes, you can't just go, you know, grab a ticket and get on. That was back in the old days when it was still like a America in America every week.
Speaker 8: You and Howard Lapiti's producer and manager, Howard Lapites have and before that when I was had great honor of being on your show the first time with Don Woldman, did you have you have had almost a similar format to True Murder in that you have live interviews and so you get some fascinating stuff when it's live and it's not edited, and it's not a couple of guys just sitting around talking about a crime. You're talking to the people very much like I do. The people that are the authorities, the authors, the people that were there, the people that are part of the story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not too many people tackle the criminals. I think we had that exclusively. We had a guy that's actually that punched the diamond. Height Sky introduced me to in Florida who was in the Russian Mob, and we got along famously over dinner and said would you come on my show? And he agreed. I think I'm the first person they have someone from the Russian Mob. You know, there were some things he wouldn't talk about it would get him killed. But the things he would talk about, like how he wound up in the Russian Mob and why he was in it and everything else. With a crew, you know, we never know what things are going to come your way. And well, ron Chepstick, who also does a true crime show, absolutely, he who was the audience just breaking of course the way as he well should about his show and why he should about yours. You guys don't really do a true crime show. You do a comedy show that happens to be about true crime. Well, he's partially correct for the first five minutes and maybe a little later, but we get into some serious stuff.
Speaker 8: You know, you originator. You're the originator though, of adding some levity to to murder basically to true crime. And and some of your guests are humorous, but Howard and yourself and Don just it's a great degree. It's a it's a one shows. It's got levity where you wouldn't expect. And now it seems like a lot of the podcasts that's the format. So you're in many ways the originator.
Speaker 5: Well, you got to figure that I've been doing this show for over ten years on the air. That's Internet years. It's like dog years. That's a long time to have a show that every Saturday two o'clock specific time, I'll alreadiolive dot com for over ten years and the reason wound up being a true crime true crime show. It wasn't my brilliant idea, Matt Allen said, who used to work with me at Kyyx Seattle said, Brow, why don't you do a show on al Alreadio wants you do an hour before me? It's got to figure out what you want to do well. One of the l alredio listeners said, well, you write through crime books. Why don't you do a true crime show? Why do you want to do it by myself? Because I like having someone to bouncings off of. And right in front of me was Don Woldman, family law attorney, but he had brilliant man with great experience, and I said, hey, you want to do a true crime So I said, I'd love to do a true crime show. And we had the best time doing it, we really did. And he had to take a hiatus because of some legal obligations, and Howard stepped into a fill in for him. And then after about a year or so, Don said, I feel bad if I come back, if I don't want to take Howard out of the chair, because he's you know, he's in there now. But Don would come back and fill in, or he'd come back and join us on occasion, and of course when he died, so suddenly we were all just completely shocked. A great guy and with a joy to work with. And I'll be putting a lot of the old Don Woldman shows up on the iTunes and everywhere so people can enjoy that I still I think one of the most emotionally shocking shows I ever participated in was the first one you did about these Shall We Dance Murders? That was so shocking. I mean, that's an incredible book. I'm not just you know, blowing smoke here. That is I think one of the most gripping true crime books I've ever read. And the guy is so twisted. Did it mess with your head? I could interview now, Did it mess with your head to deal with that guy?
Speaker 8: Well? Absolutely, And as you know too, why you know, coming from you, it's it's great praise because all I really did was inspired by authors like yourself. I was able to ask the questions. I read books like Broken Doll, and I've read books from you over the years, true crime classics, and from that you get an understanding of that psychopathic mind. So certainly I had read some of these things come into life talking to this guy that from these true crime books, these classics, I could understand the kind of mind that this guy, this person was, and he was influenced by the kinds of murderers and killers that you and others wanted to be the.
Speaker 5: One most horrible killer in the Canadian history.
Speaker 8: Is his goals. He's got some competition, but that was his goal. Yes, his goal was. He was very competitive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he certainly was. I mean, it was just shocking to me the things he's like, I've got a great idea what I'll do to this corpse. I mean, that guy was the worst. Can't describe him. You did, fucking childlate of it. I was unnerved enough when I went uh and spoke to Ronda Glover UH prison for Fatal Beauty. And when I came out of there and I got back in the car in Texas, my daughter said, don't worry, Dad, she can't come out of there and come get you. She's going to be in there for another sixty years or something. I didn't realize it was so obvious that it affected me that when I came out of the prison, she could tell that I was bothered. But you're right, you know, when you know you're dealing with psychopaths, which is a step beyond sociopaths, You're dealing with people that cannot see beyond themselves. They are the center of the universe and reality is at their whim. That they can make up anything, say anything, and it's just like they're creating the universes. They go along and facts and information have little or no importance to them whatsoever. And they do not have the ability to feel the pain of others, and psychologically or emotionally, and it doesn't matter carb a Turkey carbon person the same difference. Well, you know what people think I'm hidden about this. There is a support website for sociopaths, and I can't recall those, called sociopaths dot org or something like that, but it's actually maintained by sociopaths as a public service for other sociopaths. And they didn't like a short story I wrote called Giving Shoulder, which was written for the standpoint of a psychopath actually, and they didn't like it. But that's okay. I can't please everybody, can't please every sociopath. But there was some interesting letters to the editor statements in there. They know always this what sociopath says. Okay, everything they say about it is true. We only think about ourselves. We're incapable of thinking about anybody else. And so I realized that if I do all these really sick things that other social paths and rip people off, that it's not that Gee, I don't want to cause other people problems. It's will cause me problems, and I'm the only person that's important to me, and being as I don't want to have problems like going to prison or being you know, treated poorly. I'm not going to do that stuff. Now they're not doing it that he's not behaving because he has a moral code that says I care about others and don't want to hurt him. It's I care about me and me alone, and if I do these things, I'll be unhappy. So they say that if you can get to a sociopath or a psychopath before the age of fourteen, you can teach him that, but once they get in the system, it's really hard, really good.
Speaker 8: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: I know that that.
Speaker 8: Peter Ronsky Sons of Kan just recently described in his book that the cycle path can intellectually understand the feeling that he's supposed to have, but yet not feel it physically or psychologically. But he understands it. So the danger is is that whether he's saying he was, you know, maybe abused when he was a child, there's always an excuse, there's always a blame, there's always that narcissistic focus that they're you know, they even want to be liked and loved by the police. So we never really know what the truth is with a psychopath, even when they are being candid and because they can to fool, want to play, think that they're smarter at every stage their life.
Speaker 5: The first set of the psychopaths, they'll become their ownan defense attorneys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, or they'll take the stand when they shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah. Well that's like the situation we have down here in the United States right now on whether our current president should do.
Speaker 10: An interview with the investigating committee, and even his own attorney said, well, we don't want any perjury traps.
Speaker 5: Perjury is lying under oath. Sure, you know, it's like it acknowledging that the individual has a mic proclivity for making things up, and you can't do that when you're being interviewed by the FBI as a crime. And if you know, if you just can't, it's like, you know, it's your nature. If you can't resist it, you know, you're in big trouble.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, I know he would. He would be well advised, as most people are, to let their attorney handle things exactly.
Speaker 5: Because I mean, even if the person is innocent of any wrongdoing, if their natural tendency is just to make stuff up on the fly, just gonna hurt him, you'd have they've done you know, don't do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was the case of the Happy Face Killer. There was a woman first came forward and then said it was her and her husband, and the courts were so convinced because she was lucively right on on some things that she shouldn't have known, and she was confessed and did confess and was convicted of a murder that the Happy Face Killer killer jessperson committed. And then, bizarrely, his lawyer said, it's the only time I ever had to fight to prove that my client was guilty of a crime.
Speaker 5: Oh kid, well, well the you got together. Tell me more about a delicious recipe.
Speaker 8: No, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I like that last one that was made me hungry. But yeah, there was a situation where I was attorney here in the US knew that his client intentionally set an innocent person to prison for a crime that he did, and he thought it was hysterically funny, and he would not allow his attorney to let anybody know that an innocent person had been in prison all these years until he died, if he died.
Speaker 8: First, incredible. Well, like criminals, there are some people without any moral or ethical standards or.
Speaker 5: See, that's always the problem is I assume people have at least some standards similar to mine, not the miners of that exalted alias through. You know, it seemed fairly rational to me, you know, whether the line that from the big chill. You know, justifications are, you know, are the most important thing, more important. Justifications are more more than sex. After all, can you go a week without a justification?
Speaker 8: Well, you talk about the courts. If you talk about the courts though, and you talk about a prosecutor, and you right about this, and you are a journalist that's fair and balanced, and you say, sometimes a prosecutor just wants to win. So why wouldn't everyone, Why would everyone, you know go buy those standards?
Speaker 5: Well, because that's that's not what they take an oath to do. Sure, Well, there they get elected, they run on how many convictions they got. That's really sick. I don't like that idea. You know, how many times did I win? You know, right or not?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Absolutely, Well, it's tied in with political unlike Canada, it's tied in so heavily with politics that it's not it's political rather than judicial. And so you do you have problems inherent right with that system.
Speaker 5: Have a board system in the United States but don't have a justice system.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well don't look now. Canada has different problems, but serious, serious problems. Anyway, brol I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about about conspiracy and absolutely I just want to mention again this is originally from Masters of True Crime Chilling Stories of Murdering the Macabre, edited by Rberry Flowers, and your story is in that and but now it's available as a standalone audio book and available everywhere. I guess tell us a little bit about where we might get this.
Speaker 5: It was done by listen up audiobooks dot com. You get a direct from them, or if you go to audible and you don't have a membership yet, did you sign up? You could get that one for free. So it's a heck of a deal. Also, Mom said, Kill is also now available as an audio book for the first time, and it just came out as an audio book and you could get that free too, I or instead, if you want, if you don't have an account at audible, you signed up, you can get a free audio book and we're welcome to pick one of mineely.
Speaker 8: I like that.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed listening to these. I enjoyed listening to the audio book of the Alaska mailbomb conspiracy. We went on a long drive and I listened to it in the car and I thought the guy did a great job narrating it, so I was very.
Speaker 8: Absolutely oh, thank you very much, Burl. And make sure for people to remind them of True Crime Uncensored. Every Saturday at four o'clock.
Speaker 5: Is it No, it's a two o'clock Pacific time, five o'clock East Coast time at ten o'clock the UK. And if you're where would you be uh oh, in Pakistan, it's exactly twelve hours later. We do have listeners in Pakistan any afternoon. It's on two in the morning, the day after the next day or something. I don't know that it gets very confusing when you cross the international datelines.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, thank you once again, Burl. You have a great evening and we'll talk to you again soon to this. Thanks a lot, Dan, thank you good night,