Speaker 1: And we are talking Ali today. We have Amy Finny in here. I always have fun with Amy and here I get her to break up a little bit every now and then. Right there, job done. But Ali is we're serious business. We're talking about the summer schedule for adult learning. And we got we got a lot lot going on, don't we Yes, we do.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Let's get right to what do we have.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to start off with I think everybody knows Joe series. Oh yeah, Well, he's in the process of writing a book. But needless to say, he's got a lot of Broadway experience in theater and all that sort of thing. So he's going to talk about that. He's going to do a series and uh going from Broadway into how it can help you with the mental health and your aging years. And that'll happen at the do A Hotel.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that'd be great. He likes to tell stories from the perch there, so.
Speaker 2: Joe is always interesting. Then way, we've got a series going on. We're gonna look at old the history of planes, trains, and then car shows the classic cars.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Nice, yeah, And we have Kay Little it's going to do the old historic trolley here in Bartlesville. I've heard so much about that, but I never could find anybody that would talk about it until now. And then Old Trains as well. Mickey Bryson. I think her body knows him that does the car shows. Yeah, and then Dave Sink is going to talk about planes. That should be very interesting. Then we have Aaron down at the candle shop.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right downtown.
Speaker 2: She's gonna do a class on making candles. Okay, she's really excited about that, and that will take place in her shop.
Speaker 1: She is a master chandler, she'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. She told me she does online classes. How do you do that? Because I know you have to melt the wax and all that, but she does it.
Speaker 1: Wow, she was. She's pretty creative.
Speaker 2: Yes she is. And then we now these classes are going to take place, all of them, but the Joe and the Candles at the First United Methodist Church out on Price Road. So then we have we're going to do a governing type class. We'll have our legislators. I call them the Three Jays, Julie, Judd, and John. They perform well together, they do, and I yes they do. And I'm very proud of them for doing that. Then I have the city people and I like to have I have the Mayor and Jim Kurd, City Manager, Mike Bailey. They will be one session. And then I have Special Projects which is Greg Collins and Mike Wickham but he does code enforcement. Then Mike Richardson is gonna do us like the history and the whole nine yards on the city airport.
Speaker 1: If anybody knows the history, is he? Yes, boy, he knows it all.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm really thrilled to have him. Then we're going to have a when it gets down to the field trips, we're going to do a fun day of first responders. We'll have a retired fireman which is Richard Kyle. Now I couldn't get names for the others because you know, the crazy the shifts they do is crazy, so they couldn't give me a name of who would be there. Plus not all of them are willing to speak, so that's going to be a surprise. Who's going to talk? But there there will be a whole day.
Speaker 1: Devoted to that and it's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: We always have fun. In fact, the pastor out at the Methodist Church, Greg Teiner he's retiring, and he said, you guys have so much fun. I think I need to do that.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: You got him in there, Yes, we did.
Speaker 1: The doctor is taking one more class. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we'll also because we're gonna that's gonna be the whole day, we'll have lunch there too. So then I've got a well about three field trips we're going to tour all in one day. We're going to tour the Lekenta Foster mansion that is beautiful, yes, and then the Walmart distribution center that's huge.
Speaker 1: People are going to get there. Steps in on that one.
Speaker 2: I'm concerned about walking on check over a wheelchair and let somebody push me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, why not go in style? Man?
Speaker 2: Well, Rosie always said you would, so on that one, yes, and uh. Then we're planning a trip out to Tallgrass Prarie.
Speaker 1: Well that'll be fun, Yes, it will. Man. You've got this all lined out and it's all ready to go. Now, how do people get all signed up for the classes? Frawley?
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's two ways. You can go online where all the classes are listed and you can register there and you can you can pay there also, then you or if so many of in our age brackets say I don't do computers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That's okay, Okay, it's way okay. There is a phone number. Just call it and we're.
Speaker 1: Going to put that in the news story a little bit later. It'll come out about one this afternoon. Okay, Yeah, everybody can see it.
Speaker 2: And classes start Monday, summer courses. It's just a small session. It's four weeks.
Speaker 1: So that way, you know, you can get a little knowledge you and have a little fun.
Speaker 2: You learn a lot better when you're having fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've learned that over the years with you and your group. I tell you what, I've never seen people happier to take your class of my life than the folks at ALI.
Speaker 2: Well, you think about it, no homework, no tests, you can ask questions, you can eat cookies while you listen.
Speaker 1: I'm good with that. And for the folks who don't know what ALI means, and we do this all the time, but because there are folks that are kind of coming into this range of interest at all times, what does ALLIE stand for you?
Speaker 2: Well, OLLI l l I is Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and this is a senior learning program through OSU. It is a membership program. There's a premiere charge for the membership of two hundred dollars, but that's an annual and you can take any class you want without any additional charge, unless there's a charge for supplies or something like that. There. If that's a little much for you to do it one time, then there is a forty dollars annual charge, but you do have to pay for your class. Now, there are some that we do just as they call all the cart but basically the classes are twenty five dollars unless there's you know, just a couple or small station or whatever. But it is, as one of our members said, it's the best bargain that you could get for being out there social learning.
Speaker 1: You get a lot of pluses. You'll learn something, that's for sure. But a lot of times people make friends and then they get out and they kind of find a new little groups to kind of hang around with.
Speaker 2: And there's so many people who there. We touch on all areas. Oh yeah, and I tell the speakers, I can't guarantee it, but almost every time one leaves, they leave with more information on their subject than they came with because everybody's been around or retired from their profession and keep right on learning.
Speaker 1: Now are the catalogs that do we still have information at the library.
Speaker 2: There are catalogs at the library, and I took some to the YMCA.
Speaker 1: Oh good, So you've got two places where people can go and take a look. And it's got all the information for signed up and all that's on there too.
Speaker 2: So we do send out send one to everybody, all the members. I think they cover a three year period that they'll actually you'll get one in the mail and then we then I put them around town busy. I'm planning on putting some out at Eggbert's. They got a table there that and so I'm going to take some out there. But right now, since we're down, the office in Stillwater has had a total turnover. So it's been a little hairy getting everything organized. Oh not only getting the summer online, but are up ready to go? But the fall session is already in place.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So you's been working double time, haven't they. Yeah, I was like they had to take the class.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I'm really I'm really excited about learning and our fiscal year in June thirtieth and so the new year will start July first, and that will go through kind of like a college, you know, fall, spring, summer.
Speaker 1: But we have fun with this. It's a let's just put it this way, folks. If you don't believe it, try it, just try it ex and if if we're not telling you the truth, you come you come tell me about it, because I guarantee you people are having a ball.
Speaker 2: They certainly are. We furnished cookies, coffee and water and a great social life.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, you accidentally learned something.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've been back in college since I've been doing this job.
Speaker 1: I bet you do a little bet she only graduated from college a couple of years ago. Folks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, yeah, yeah, they're gray hairs. Yeah, just you know, but yeah, yeah, come and join us because I guarantee you you will enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Oh great, okay, folks. We're going to have the information out to you here a little bit later on on our website, and you can get on there. Somebody, if you know it's a little bit more computer savvy than you, they'll be able to get on there and show you what's going on too. And look for the catalog at the Y and also at the library too. Amy, Thank you very much you always writing up by day.
Speaker 2: Oh I love coming here.
Speaker 1: Oh come back again soon. I imagine August will probably see you again. Yes, yes, about it really warm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be starting in mid September. Yeah, and I've got a great program plan. We're going to do an end depth study on aging, all aspects, legal documents, diseases, a whole thing. Somebody said, you're going to focus on aging. Well, yeah, it's kind of depressing, but it's things we need to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, you do, gang.
Speaker 2: But we've got some fun things planned for that too, sure, I mean we gotta have fun.
Speaker 1: How does surprise part? How do we surprise people at your own wake? Never mind me? Never mind me?
Speaker 2: Well, we had some homeschoolers that joined us last semester.
Speaker 1: Really how'd that go?
Speaker 2: They were amazed at what they learned. They basically came in to take the constitution and then the mother was very she was very active with you know, exchanges and all that. The kids loved it, and I expect them back, and of course we all love watching kids learn.
Speaker 1: It's also new to them.
Speaker 2: There was a she was sixteen girl and the boy was fourteen, and so I asked him what they like. She liked about anything, sports and anything, and I asked him, well, he because I wanted to point him to people that could help him. And so I asked the boy what he like and he just looked at me, and his sister said, video games.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Oh my gosh. Well, you know, when you start talking to people, those video games just you know, they're nice. After that, they're not. They're not the compulsion start talking about people, think get real.
Speaker 2: And his mother monitored everything they did, so so I know it was within norms reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh very good, Amy, Thanks for being with us today. Golly, it's always fun to have you.
Speaker 2: I know, I love it. Even if you do put me on that camera. I don't like that, right, We got work it out