Speaker 1: Understand the thinking atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists this country is going through the.
Speaker 1: Rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not because.
Speaker 3: I put my hand on a book and made a wish.
Speaker 1: And working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 3: Take the risk of thinking. Feels so much more happiness. Truth Usian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast, hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is just something to listen to. It's a bonus, absolutely free to patrons in case you're looking for some content. Maybe you're killing an hour and you want to sort of evesdrop on a recent conversation I had on the Humanism Now show with host James Hodgson out of the UK. I love talking about humanism, and he asked me the basic questions to start about my past and my deconstruction, my deconversion, and then we got into humanism, humanist values and the world around us. And you know, he's looking over the ocean and all the insanity that's been happening here in the United States, and I thought it was an interesting and compelling chant. And so if you're looking to kill an hour and you'd like extra content, here you are. I'm going to go ahead and include all of his production tags. I mean, it's his show, and I'm real broadcasting with his permission. But you'll hear his intro, and he's hosting, he's asking the questions, he controls the vertical and the horizontal. A lot of fun for me, and big thanks to j James for letting me share it with you.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Humanism Now, a podcast about secular ethics, curiosity, and compassion.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, James Hodginson.
Speaker 4: Our guest today should need no introduction to our listeners. Seth Andrews is one of the ogs of humanist and atheist podcasting, as the host of the Thinking Atheist podcast, one of the most popular podcasts and online atheist communities in the world. A former evangelical and Christian broadcaster, Seth is now one of the leading voices in the atheist movement globally. He's authored six books, including his latest offering, Christianity Made Me Talk Like an Idiot and He hosts a second podcast called True Stories with Seth Andrews. A renowned conference speaker, always with humor and heart, Seth is a global advocate for science and skepticism, importance of humanism, and why we should all bursue a personal relationship with reality. Seth Andrews, Welcome to humanism.
Speaker 3: Now I'm with an intro like that, I sound like I should run for office, although I know in Oklahoma and in the United States, being an atheist, I'm probably the least qualified, like the least electable. Maybe I'm more qualified least electable. But now thanks for the kind words and thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: It's good to be here.
Speaker 3: Maybe the campaign starts here.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true. Yeah, maybe we'll start. This is ground zero right here, so.
Speaker 4: I'm sure most of our listeners will be aware of the thinking atheist. And I've heard you speak previously, but I don't think i've ever heard the full journey or your full personal story to how you arrived at whether you'd like to call yourself humanist or you prefer the term atheist, having previously been a Christian broadcaster, So whether this will begin for you.
Speaker 3: It's funny I used to lead with atheist when I first came out of the faith first several years. Now I lead with humanist right because atheism is what I don't bel the god I don't believe in are gods I don't believe in.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: That's not a statement of values. Really, humanism is my statement of values. And I've really been pounding that drama a lot more on the show. The short version of the long story is that I was born into a devoutly Christian home. My mother and father were hardcore believers, theologian level believers. They wrote sermons for pastors. There was no light reading in our home. They had an entire bookshelf of concordances and breakdowns, theologies, religious histories, and my mother wrote a Greek New Testament study guide that was used at the college level. I mean, this was the type of Christianity we had. So it was Bible literalism. Adam and even Noah's aren't and Moses and all those things Jesus died on across Heaven and Hell are real. And so that was my normal and we loved it. Yay, good for us. We happen to be born into the right faith at the right time, in the right place to the right parents and the right religion, and so I was just immersed, literally baptized into Christian schools, Christian churches, Christian music, Christian culture. I was a student leader, kind of this front facing dude with the ability to communicate when I was in high school. So I ended up on stage a lot. You had some teenager who's expounding and giving his great wisdom about the world. Wasn't old enough to drive, I wasn't old enough to vote. I hadn't been into the world, but somehow I was useful for church leaders. Ah, look a bright and shining example of the new generation that will take back this country for christ. And because I was immersed in Christian music and a big fan, it was an easy segue into Christian radio, and I became a Christian radio host in nineteen ninety and I spent fourteen years in FM radio, most of it Christian radio, Amy Grant, Stephen Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith, Whiteheart Striper, those types of bands, and then I segued into video production for a decade, and most of our clients were churches. I was eyeball deep in it. But it was funny because late in the nineties, I started to hear that alarm bell of doubt in the back of my skull, and for a long time, under the surface, I was really struggling to make sense of the senselessness. And it was in my late thirties that I started to finally give myself permission to not take for an answer, just take it on faith, but to try to find out what's going on. And that's why I named the site in the podcast the Thinking Atheist, which is not me, certainly, but it's an idea because faith is a terrible way to find out what's true if you take it on. Christopher Hitchins used to say, it's called faith because it's not knowledge, and so I'm like, well, there are a lot of gaps will never fill in our knowledge. But I don't want to just believe when possible.
Speaker 2: I want to know.
Speaker 3: And so The Thinking Atheist was an encouragement to myself and to everybody else. Let's think on these things, let's reason it out, let's try to figure it out as best we can. And so the site in the show's been going on for about seventeen years, and somehow I'm still here. So anyway, that's my story in a nutshell.
Speaker 4: So was it quite an immediate jump then, from being immersed in the world of not Christian radio whinning are but still working primarily with churches to I guess had you fully deconstructed when you launched the Thinking Atheist or were you still working through these questions?
Speaker 3: I'm slow. I mean you stiped me forever. It was in the late nineties. I remember that I was starting to think, well, this doesn't make sense. But you are trained in the faith that doubt is his sin. Right, Who's the one disciple that our parents never told us to be like. They were like be like John, be like Paul, be like Peter. They never said be like Thomas doubting Thomas right. Bible says the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. And so doubt was either an attack of the evil one, or it was rebellion, or it was just weakness in your faith. And so whenever I would hear those doubts, I used to just blink them away. Oh there's something wrong. I should never doubt. That's disobedience, that's weakness. It's an attack. And I don't know if it was midlife or maybe it was just all those years of being dissatisfied. I just came to a point in my thirties where I thought, all right, well I'm gonna figure this out. But it took me a long time. I mean, my deconstruction. I think I started to my deep dive. I thought, I'm gonna go back to square one. I'm gonna figure this out. I was thirty seven, but I didn't say the word atheist in regard to myself till I was thirty eight.
Speaker 2: And so it was a year.
Speaker 3: It was a year of reading the Bible and getting into Bible history and speaking to the experts, the apologist, and of course the more they answered my questions, the more questions I had. It just it took me a long time too to find the courage and and it's a mess. It was a big noise in my own head, and I had to let that noise settle just a little bit. And then after that, you know, I was like, I want to be part of these conversations.
Speaker 2: I've got to get the word out.
Speaker 3: I was so naive when other believers hear what I have discovered about the Christian faith. They will all lock arms with me, and we will walk away from superstition and we will prance off to Reasonville together and it will be a beautiful thing. And of course that's not remotely what happened. Nobody cared, nobody wanted to hear. Everybody was patting me on the head like I was some broken thing. And I actually probably started my activism long before I should have.
Speaker 2: I should have taken.
Speaker 3: A few years and settled down because I was hot, I was keyed up. I still had so much to learn. I always do, But back then I jumped into the race a bit too soon. But even then, it took me a few years after that to get over the fear of hell. Even though in my brain I'm an atheist. I know Christianity is not true, but that baked in fear of what if I'm wrong, I'll burn forever? Oh my god, what's going to happen? That stuff runs deep, So it took me a long time. It was not Some people get out with the snap of the finger, and for me it was it was a slow burn. It took a long time for that fuse to reach the end.
Speaker 4: And so then you would have started The Thinking Atheists.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and nine, I think for the website.
Speaker 4: So then you lords Thinking Atheists really before the boom in podcasting, and yet to publicly advocate as you say.
Speaker 3: But also think through these questions. Yeah, what's funny is that I was still working for a company owned by Christians, which serve churches. Mostly we did some It was a video and three D animation company. We also served universities and some city planners and some other things. There were probably eighty percent of the videos we did were fundraising videos for churches. So I was terrified that if I am found out, I will lose my job. They'll find a reason to fire me. I won't be able to afford my mortgage payment, I'll lose everything financially. I will be destitute at midlife. What else would I do? And so for the first two years of The Thinking Atheist it was an audio podcast and videos that did not feature my face. No one knew who I was. It was just my first name. And it wasn't until the summer of twenty eleven that I finally just decided screw it and stood on stage at a convention and sort of introduced myself to the world. The cats out of the bag. Whatever happens happens. But it took me a while even just to be able to be real enough to say hi, I'm Seth and reveal my first and last name and face. I think that speaks to how hard of a journey it is for a lot of people. It's there are some who dismiss and say, come on, get over it. It's Santa Claus for adults, you coward or what's the matter, and they don't understand the many gears in the machine of deconstruction, and sometimes those gears turned slowly, And I think we need to be empathetic and understanding about that.
Speaker 4: And I think anybody who goes through that process there's a huge amount of bravery to step away when, particularly when you're so immersed, you know, and it's every part of your life, but even more so to do it in such a public manner.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I say that to people I meet on the road. They will come up to me and they're like, I heard this show and it encouraged me and you inspire me or something like that, And I'm like, holy cow, I'm like, do you have any idea how much courage it took for you to be honest with yourself and others about your journey and to speak in your authentic voice, whatever the consequences were, and to come to this point in your life when so many other people will never get there. I say, you inspire me, and that's I'm not trying to be fake or Sacharin.
Speaker 2: I'm like.
Speaker 3: Yours is a remarkable story, and that's the encouragement I give other people, because it does take a lot of courage, and a lot of times people pay a terrible price with the crime of being an authentic person.
Speaker 4: Were there any advantages you found from going through this process publicly? Was it helpful but having a way to explain your abuse to people who may have questions that they could help them understand, or did it help you went through any issues.
Speaker 3: One thing about being an ex evangelical is I have a kind of equity in conversations about Christianity. So if someone comes up to me with one of the standard protests, no one who ever knew the love of Jesus would have ever walked away, or you don't know what true Christianity is, or that's not what the Bible says. After an entire lifetime or at least thirty some years in the faith. Yeah. No, I was absolutely sincere, and I did believe it when I said the Salvation prayer, and I did understand what the culture is like. Everything I did was Christian, everything we said was Christian. And then part of my deconstruction was an even deeper dive into a Bible I thought I knew at the time, but going back, of course, we like, oh was that verse in their Holy Cow? I never read this scripture this way before, Oh what's this about? And it's interesting because I knew more about the Bible than many of its defenders. So having those decades inside the faith has I lament the wasted years, and I beat myself up sometimes for being too thick to figure out that maybe an Old Testament donkey did not speak in Hebrew, right, I mean, this is basic. But the upside is is that I can speak with authority about what happens behind church walls and what is within the covers of the Christian Bible, and that has helped me in my efforts to help others deconstruct and to sound my protests about a superstition which does provide some good things, but has way too much baggage for me to support.
Speaker 4: And I guess you know the arguments that they were put forward. I always wonder looking back at the time, what would you have said, was the strongest argument that you knew of for the truth to Christianity.
Speaker 3: For me, it was more of a defensive posture. Here's what Christians are often, even if we're not realized, we're trained to do it. The science and nature and the evidence proves God. And then someone brings evidence that doesn't add up, and we say, it's not about evidence. God exists beyond the natural. This is a matter of faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus, and so I always had a fallback position. I wasn't engaging non believers a lot when I was in the faith because I was just surrounded by Christians. I was in a reinforcement culture. We just knew we were right. We didn't have to answer ask any more questions because we already had the answer with the capital Hey, it's one of those things like we were taught to make fun in Charles Darwin, none of us had ever cracked open on the origin of species or taken a legitimate evolutionary biology class, So we knew he was wrong, but we didn't know what he was talking about, and that's kind of the faith. But a lot of it really came down to he lives in my heart and I just know it in my heart, and that's this weird spot where because people can't read minds, because clearvoyancy isn't real, then we felt safe. But beyond that, it was the typical stuff. How could you look at the birth of a beautiful baby, how could you see the design? How complex the world is? We saw complexity, and we saw great engineering. And of course engineers will tell you that the most amazing pieces of engineering are the ones that are distilled down to simplicity with the least amount of waste. But we just saw complicated stuff and we thought, wow, it's beyond me Jesus kind of thing. But you know, probably the personal relationship argument was the one I used the most.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I guess that's the hardest one to challenge from the outside as well.
Speaker 3: How do you know what I'm thinking? How do you know if there wasn't a magical moment inside my body and my mind? Well, how do you prove I don't have a soul? It's one of those things where because they can't crawl into my skull, I'm supposedly able to quote unquote win the argument.
Speaker 2: It's pretty convenient.
Speaker 4: And now that you're an active leader advocate within the atheist humanist movement globally, how do we avoid some of those same mistakes of falling into groupthink and the arrogance of going we know that we're right.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of that. It's funny, I'm preparing this speech. I don't know if I'm going to give it this year. That I may do this speech, I may do it this fall, and many of the non religious in my circles are going to get it, and they're going to go with it, and they're going to support it, and they are going to be others who lose their minds. And it's about how we who are not religious are not immune from being emotional bags of animated meat. Right, we're all primates. We look for things that reinforces what we already think and who we already are, and we can be very knee jerky. And I found that atheism is not an inoculation against irrationality or awfulness. I've met flat earth atheists I've met anti vaccine atheist. I've met just nasty, mean, toxic human beings who happen do not believe in a God. So I don't believe in God doesn't guarantee anything else about you. I would like to think that removing the god baggage might prime you a little more possibly to edge into a natural world existence, a science based existence. But you know, we make a lot of mistakes. I'm often online when I see my fellow atheists, humanists, progressive, and they'll post some sort of meme about the religious that is totally untrue and unfair. Religion is a mental illness.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: I wasn't mentally ill when I was a devout believer in Jesus. It's horrible argument, and why in the world would you ever say it. There was one that I saw where why are Sunday so peaceful? It's because the evil people are at church? You know, somebody actually posted that one. Politically, a lot of people like to post stuff. And I'm a huge critic of President Donald Trump. I just despise the man and what he represents. But people will post things about him, quotes that he never actually said, and I have to come forward and say he never said this quote, and they get mad at me because, well, it sounds like something you would have said. And why in the world would you take a moment to talk about what's wrong with us when so much more is wrong with him? And I'm like, this is an example of how we often become less interested in being right than sounding right or being proven right or being validated. And you know, we're all flawed, fallible human beings, and so you know, it's the difference, I think between atheism and rationalism. And I get it wrong. I've shared stuff I found out was wrong and had to go retract it, have that horrible ideas, and I'm like, oh, what was I thinking. But once we acknowledge that we are not immune because we use the A word in regard to ourselves, it does open us up to live a more honest, a more difficult, certainly even a more honest life when it comes to trying to figure out what is true. Robert green Ingersol famously said the more false we destroy, the more room there will be for the true. And I've taken that coda up in my own life.
Speaker 2: It's a goal.
Speaker 3: Let's destroy the false so we can make room for the true, and if that includes something that we have believed, something that was said, or a bad statement about religious people or whatever, we need to destroy that.
Speaker 2: So we can make more room for the truth.
Speaker 4: It's a good quote because it doesn't say that whatever's left is true. Yeah, you still have to do the work.
Speaker 3: And as some of that just comes from such a superior, smug, reductive attitude. Most of the people in my life for religious and they're not evil, they're not wicked, they're not Nazis. And I think, well, what are you trying to accomplish. This's just tribalism, which is what we say they're guilty of. This is us being the superior tribe. We are the lofty, meritorious in group, and they are the troglodite out group, and therefore we diminish and dehumanize constantly. That's not the world I'm want to live in. That's not how we're going to change the world. And I'll tell you, our tribe can have some really bad ideas. Any group, any organization, any gathering of people who have like minded ideas or like interests, or whatever, a family of any kind, they can be guilty of the tribalism. Having a tribe can be a wonderful thing, but we know that tribalism has a dark side to it, and atheist humanists are far from immune, and we have to be honest.
Speaker 2: With ourselves about that.
Speaker 3: I think to be able to pursue truth in a healthy way. My conversation with James Hodgson, the host of Humanism Now, will continue in just a second. A lot of content creators are understandably nervous about this mandated switch that Patreon is forcing everybody to do. Actually, Apple is forcing Patreon to do it, moving from a per upload support system to a monthly subscription. If you are a patron, please log onto your Patreon account and make that switch to a monthly subscription. And if you're not a supporter, I'd welcome your support to help do what I do, but subscribe as a monthly, not as a per upload, because they're going to switch everything over and make that mandatory I think the first week of November. Patreon dot com slash Seth Andrews continuing the conversation I recently had with host James Hudson on his broadcast Humanism Now.
Speaker 4: Have you seen tribalism in all areas get worse with the rise of political polarization, I think particularly in the US, and I know you're focusing on more political content.
Speaker 3: Now do you think that the.
Speaker 4: Tour related or was there always a strand of that within this the religion versus the atheist context.
Speaker 3: Human beings have always potted themselves, you know, podd not potted like a plant, but they've always gotten into pods and even potted the word I just made it up, Thank you world. But the Internet has really facilitated disinformation and information and disinformation and tribal silos where the algorithm can push you into an extremely narrow way of thinking.
Speaker 2: That's new.
Speaker 3: So we're starting in the nineties, we really began to see that we could immediately lock in with somebody who was hyper focused on how we think and validating how we think, echoing how we think, and vice versa. We feed on and feed into this group and we are then connected with each other. And even though we are digitally connected to the rest of the world, there is a disconnect intellectually and emotionally from what others are thinking and feeling. And so now we have instead of this amount of tribes, we have a squillion micro tribes, sometimes within those tribes like groups and subgroups, And I don't even know how you deal with that except we have to purposefully, as a course of will, step out of our tribe, beyond our walls, and begin to whenever possible. And it's certainly not always to understand where are others getting their information, what's feeding them, what's their background, what's their temperaments? Where they primed in some way? Are they members of a cult? And how do cults operate? What's the model or what are the models for cults? Am I guilty of tribal thinking in a destructive way? And this requires time and energy and pain and nuance. And you know what the internet does not do well?
Speaker 2: Is all of that? Right?
Speaker 3: We want it simple, we want it on a sticker or a.
Speaker 2: Meme or a line. We want to win.
Speaker 3: We're not interested in engagement as much as just smashing the other. I can put any comment online, I'm going to make any polarizing opinion online boom. And there is very little in terms of nuanced approach to other people. I have to go into my own threads and say, two members of our community in the atheist movement or whatever let's stop with the name calling. This is an unfair response. They came in with an apinut disagree with. Let's explore that as adults in good faith throwing feess at each other to try to win, and then gathering our tribe to gang up. Is their tribe gangs up, and before you know it, you're mashing into the internet forums for weeks. Nobody changes their mind, everybody leaves exasperated, We're further divided. I'm not saying it's always possible to connect with because sometimes we have to draw the hard line. Sometimes we have to cut a cord. I sometimes we do have to go it to go nuclear. I get that, But too often we unnecessarily cheat ourselves of the humanity that many of these conversations deserve. And again it's not always popular. I get a lot of pushback, but I feel like I have to lead by example as best I can. But I'm guilty. We've all knee jerked. We've all heard and said something where like oh, I'm done, I've just done, and then you go into nuke mode and nukem from morbit. But the tribalism is going to I think it's only going to get worse. The only way to get past it is to be aware of it, and that's going to be a challenge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems to come back to this idea that if you want to be considered rational, you want to be considered reasonable. It is constant work. It's not a case of saying I am a rational person. Now I'm reasonable, therefore I've got the right views on associating with the right people.
Speaker 3: As you say, it's that constant questioning. It is, and it was in my own life that I had to I was pretty snarky about the religious I think I was mostly just angry with myself. For the first three or four years of my activism, I was really sarcastic. My content was really snarky about the sheeple. And then once my temper subsided and I got my head together and I realized how unhelpful I was being, I thought, no, I'm I wasn't a bad person when I was a believer for so many decades I was. I didn't deserve the insults. When I was a believer. I was simply a victim of bad ideas. I was perpetrating bad ideas, but I was also a victim of bad ideas. And this is also something the Internet does not do well, and we emotional primates do not do well. And the truth is that more than one thing can be true at the same time. We liked it, people like cut and dry, ab left, right, black, white, good, evil, absolutes and that's just not the worst. Are there things that are absolutely this or.
Speaker 2: That out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will, I'll concede that. But often many things can be true at the same time, and that requires again us putting in the work to get through this ocean of nuance to be fair. And that's something that especially when we are bombarded with the avalanche of information, disinformation, inflammatory headlines, online, baits, you name it. We're puns drunk all the time. We are certainly not in the mode of well. I think I'll take a few days and with consideration, research this one thing. We're scrolling past five hundred things that have doom scrolled through our lives in the course of an afternoon, you know.
Speaker 4: And do you see a need going back to the point about politics and polarization, do you see that there's a press need to have more political content in the current times with your podcasts or do you still feel that the main space needs to be in the atheist humanist advocacy.
Speaker 2: Things have changed.
Speaker 3: I think there's an overlap between humanism and our political conversations, and there's some overlap with atheism. But I'm an activist against the overreach of this administration in the United States. I'm an activist condemning the grift and the corruption and the predation of Donald Trump, the weaponization of our government against our own citizens, the cruelty and the suffering that's being carried out with glee and supported by tens of millions of my fellow countrymen and women. I'm against that which is political, but I'm against it because I'm a humanist, because I want to decrease suffering and increase flourishing. And I resist all this holy word God speak that many are using to justify.
Speaker 2: The worst of behaviors.
Speaker 3: This country is infected with this idea that we one nation under God and God wills it. And there's a riff on divine command theory or vertical morality, which is how many people in the Maga cult excuse the horrible things that Donald Trump does. You challenge them, and you say, well, he doesn't represent any of the best teachings of Jesus turn the other cheek, a soft answer, turns away wrath, don't love money, don't lust, don't commit adultery, don't take revenge. And they're like, God has appointed him, and if he breaks some rules, and if he bends the laws and he has to smash the system in order to rebuild it, as long as God appointed him, that's all that matters to me. And that allows them to excuse the literal shredding of our constitution because God's champion is here and will rebuild God's Kingdom upon the ashes. Resisting that is a humanistic thing to do. We say the supernatural needs to be taken. Our foreign policy initiatives, our attitudes about the Israeli genocide and Gaza, which has just been confirmed by the UN investigators, these are religious. They are excused biblically in this country, Israel at all cost, Net and Yahoo supported at old Cosmo, matter who's murdered, et cetera. I resist the religion in a political environment because I'm a humanist. Again, more than one thing can be true at the same time. And as a result, on my own channel, we've gone from we still do a lot of dissecting of the religions Christianity, Islam, we get into the cult, we talk about the psychology belief, so we do a lot of religion. Most of what we've done recently is about politics, the culture, humanity, and humanism. And that's because the country's on fire and you can only debunk the Book of Genesis so many times, you can only debunk Adam and Eve and Noah's flood so many times. So my work lately has really been more about humanism, and that speaks to the political nightmare that we are living in. And by the way, for the record, I'd like to apologize to the rest of the world for the rogues and the anti democratic agents of cruelty in the fact that we, once a leader in the world, are now a runaway clown car. I'd just like to apologize for tens of millions of us who've been dragged into this nightmare by a very well funded and very well organized minority, very well put.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting as well that you know, there's clearly religious elements and fundamentalist believers who are within that movement, as you said, a movement which is founded on, as you say, dehumanization. Really cruelty, anti empathy, anti democracy, anti curiosity as well. It's wanting to limit people's access to information and education. But there are also people at fairly certain would be atheists who are within that movement as well. And likewise, I think we have allies on our side of a people of faith as well. I absolutely, as you can imagine from the focus of this year, someone who agrees that the antithesis of what we're seeing is humanism. Humanism is this fantastic broad term which covers all of those areas which we want to promote in society. But I'm wondering, do you see that humanism is well understood in the US at the moment, and or is it still seen as slightly threatening atheistic, purely atheistic, rather than, as you say, advocating some of these positive attributes.
Speaker 3: I do find myself having to explain humanism. I remember I was a kid. We were watching Classic Star Trek Geene Roddenberry Star Trek, which originally aired in the late sixties, and I was watching the reruns of it in the seventies and the eighties, and I remember there was some Roddenberry was an atheist, and there were a lot of humanistic themes in Trek and I think that's true even today. But my mother was watching, and I don't know it was Kirk or someone went off on some tirade about how humanity and she said, oh, that's humanism, and the way it came out of her mouth set a tone. It was kind of baked into me that oh, humanism, bad humanism. And it was framed it as it's human centric. It's human focused, not God focused. So it's selfishness. It is the arrogance of thinking that it's all about us, or that we would even have the power to do what God would be doing. Good and evil and morality and all these things should be guided from the divine, not from the carnal and the mortal. But I didn't really understand what humanism was. I didn't see the beauty in it. I didn't see the importance of it. And I do find myself having to explain, well, well, what's a humanist? Is it just another religion? Some people have been the religious right in this country. They are defined, their campaigns are defined by scare words. Socialism's one of the big ones. Trans is another big one. Communism right now, that's another huge one. In the news this week, but they bake it all. They literally marry it all together. So it's all humanism, socialism, LGBT, the Sodomites, the humanists. They just throw everybody who is different and scary in coming for you. And they're coming for your church and your faith and your religion and your Bible and your God and your children and your future and your country. They're all coming for you. Humanists get locked into that narrative. And it's funny because these people are often like I was, they knew, they resisted it, they couldn't tell you what it was, and so I do enjoy having that. That's actually it's too an easier conversation than the atheist one because you say the word atheist and people will sometimes blink and blanche and sit up, Oh atheist, right, But if I say a humanist, I don't get that response as much. But they're like, what is that? And I'm able to talk about good for goodness sake, solving our problems in the here and now, leading with empathy, building the world we want to live in, and values wise, that is often something they relate to. They framed it differently, but they don't want to hurt people. The people I'm talking to, they want to help people. They want to live in a more peaceful and less warlike world. They don't want to see unwanted suffering. That's a point of agreement. And it's on those tiny foundations that I think larger conversations can begin. Also, if they know I'm non religious, but I'm interested very much in the good, it shatters their categories because they've been trained to think that the godless are these rudderless, sad immoral, purposeless beings. And here they see seth Oh, he's pretty centered and he's got lots of love in his life, and he laughs and has a great time, and his life is good. So how do I reconcile that? And secretly I know there must be having conversations. I'm messing up their categories and hopefully expanding how they see.
Speaker 2: People who don't believe what they believe.
Speaker 4: I was going to ask you if you elevate a pitch for humanism, but I think you gave it this.
Speaker 3: I had a guy call my show a couple weeks ago and he's like, well, how would you know right from wrong?
Speaker 2: How do you even know what harm is? Without God?
Speaker 3: And I look at it, and I'm like, it's not hard. I understand what harm is because I've had harm done to me.
Speaker 2: I get it. It's not arbitrary. I think.
Speaker 3: The example I use with him is, look, look, I could send you to the spa and we could do I could gift you here's a two hour massage, and you're going to get pampering, and they're going to bring you wine and they're going to treat you like a king, and you're going to go and decompress and have the ultimate pampering. Or I could hit you in the face with a bat. Which one of those could be qualified as flourishing and which one would be harm and suffering. This is not a difficult concept to understand it because we can understand that helping to build a society where we are reducing suffering and increasing flourishing, it helps others, which helps the tribe, which helps the species, which may come.
Speaker 2: Back upon us.
Speaker 3: Even if there's nothing there's no such thing as true altruism, Okay, fine, we can have that cont even if it's partially selfish, it's still beneficial to everybody to act in a pro social way. And so where I once didn't understand humanism Now, I look at it and I think it's very intuitive. Right, Let's be who we want others to be and ourselves to be to live in the world that we want to live in. It seems basic to me.
Speaker 4: And in eight I think this goes back to something that's been argued, debated, refined throughout human history. As long as we've been able to communicate, we've been having these conversations whether and this is possibly how religions are originally formed, where they start from having these debates and conversations, and then eventually it gets written down in a book and that's what then other people rely on later. But it's got to come from somewhere, I guess, unless you believe it's been divinely inspired.
Speaker 3: My last segment on the Humanism Now broadcast we'll play right after this hang On just a few weeks away. It's the Unholy Trinity Tour. Why am I saying it like I'm a monster truck announcer. I do not know, like Sunday Sunday Sunday, except it's gonna be a Saturday night. August twenty ninth, fort Worth, Me, Matt Delahunty are in raw on stage together for the first time in a long time. A lot of good stuff on the way. Baja Cohn in Sarnia, Ontario. That's just a few weeks away. Rocket City Reason October FFRF, their national convention is happening. I believe in Milwaukee all the information on all this stuff and more the Thinkingatheist dot com slash events.
Speaker 4: I know that you're also very interested in a respectful way, in the history of religion and the origins of deities. And this is the subject of is it an upcoming bookcorn I'm going to which you're putting together.
Speaker 3: I just released it actually to YouTube. I'd given it on several cities and the audience jo loved it. I've done some really heavy subjects lately.
Speaker 2: And I needed a break.
Speaker 3: But I wanted something that would be interesting so we could laugh as we learn. I did a speech which you can find online, about white Jesus and this idea that if an actual first century Jewish guy appeared in the United States, that Jesus appeared now, there's a good chance that immigration would jam him into the back of a van and disappear him into a concentration camp because our perception of Jesus in this country is very eurocentric. He's white. If I was to take and we find and I give examples in the speech of Jesus, is that reflect the cultures that believe. So there's a Native American Jesus, there's a Japanese Jesus, there is a Hindu, there's a Muscle Jesus, et cetera. If you go into those cultures, they're God to look like them. And if I was to take an African American Jesus, you know, on the cross or giving the sermon on the mountain, I was to walk into the standard American Protestant Baptist church and hold up that Jesus, they'd probably beat my ass. They would be offended, how this blasphemy?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Well, why what's the problem? You're supposed to be a personal Jesus. And so, with a lot of jokes sort of interspersed into the presentation, I walk through the early Caesars and early Rome and how that Jesus looked a lot like the Caesars. And we get into the artists who would pain Jesus to kind of look like themselves, almost like a self portrait, and bring us into the present day and lovingly tie it all back into humanism. And I leave everybody with three encouragements. If I was God, if I'd made a god in my own image, what would I encourage humanity to be and to do? And I leave with an encouragement. But you can just google or YouTube set Andrew's White Jesus and the speech will pop ride up. I think it runs about thirty five minutes.
Speaker 4: I don't want to give away the three commandments. People should go and watch the speech. But I am curious, as I said, as someone who's been a leading light in this movement in the online content space and helping to spread humanism and normalize atheism and make it okay for people for coming up to over fifteen nearly twenty years now, what is your message to others who are finding their way in this space, who maybe, as you say, it's been difficult times. Things can feel a little bit hopeless sometimes. So what are your words of encouragement for listeners?
Speaker 3: Well, I think primarily I would I would say give yourself some grace. This journey is often chess, not checkers. This is something that takes a while, and don't rush. Some people think, well, I should call myself an atheist but I don't know if I'm an atheist. Am I an agnostic or I'm an agnostic atheist? Or am I secular? Am I a doubter? Or am I a seeker? And I think get hung up on terms. Hey, I just say stop. You don't need a label, right. Your journey is not about a label that you have to put face it forward, you have to put it on a name tag for anybody else. It's just your journey, right, So take it at your speed, give yourself some grace for the times you have gotten it wrong, and we'll get it wrong. Be a sponge, ask a lot of questions, and understand that we are all humans trying to figure it out. No worthy God would ever punish anyone who is genuinely trying to figure it out and live truthfully. That's a great place to be when you understand that if there was a God, a truly benevolent God, worthy God, good God worth following, would never punish a child for saying, I just want to be right on this, I just want to live a on this. I just want it to be true, and I want to be able to prove it to be true. That's a noble thing and Certainly, no benevolent God would ever punish or send a hell, or annihilate or cause earthly calamity to someone who is trying to live truthfully. Even if you're still going through doubts about God, understand that you have every permission. And that's the second part. The church likes to say that we don't have permission to think for ourselves. Trust not in your own understanding. If you look at the whole of Christianity, even though it's framed as a love religion, it's really a dehumanizing scenario. Baptism is a great example. So if you go and you're baptized by immersion, this is symbolism. You are dying to yourself. Yourself has to die because you're so awful, you're unworthy. There is no one worthy, no not one, and you have to be risen again, raised again, a new creation in Jesus Christ. The Bible, the faith itself, in its fundamental literal form, says you can't figure this out. Let God do the thinking for you. And I always say, give yourself permission to do your own thinking, because your understanding is important, and because you are qualified to be able to walk in and say all right, fine, show me prove it or I'm not going to buy it. You have the authority to be able to do that. You have the autonomy to be able to do that. Liberate yourself. You don't owe anyone else any explanation for who you are, where you're going, or why you're not on this earth to keep them comfortable. And they don't get to invalidate your autonomy and authentic self and your worth as a human being on this planet. So once you give yourself permission to tell all the piety crowd and the funded bible banging piece people who tell you that your mind is infected and you must do this and you have to do that or else your incent the minute you're able to say no, you don't get to do that. Now I do get to ask these questions and expect good answers, and I am going to find my own voice, and I am going to live my values, and I am going to take this journey on my own terms. The second you give yourself permission to do that, every day after that, despite the challenges, every day after that, you had given yourself a gift. The authentic life is one of the biggest gifts you can possibly give to yourself and it will return to you every single day. It'll fill up your heart, it will you'll be comfortable in your own skin. And others may make it difficult because now you're not validating them. But your journey was never about them. Your journey is about you, and it is just fine that it's about you anyway. That's the encouragement that I usually give people who are deconstructing.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a wonderful way to end. I'd love to end on that note. I do have to ask you a standard closing questions. So we've spoken at length about things that you've changed your mind on it and how you've kept an open mind, But is there anything specific that you can share with us that you've changed your mind on recently.
Speaker 3: Sets I've mentioned the hot button word earlier, and this is going to be polarizing, but one of the big bad mustache twirling villains in the American story is socialism, and I, in my own life didn't understand. And I'm not an outright socialist, but I have embraced the term for me, a democratic socialist. I think understanding the responsibilities that societies have to society, you know, to individuals. I live in a country where we talk about freedom and it's all about individuals. It's many times a very myopic, self centered, selfish version of freedom. We saw this when people were being mandated to take the vaccine to keep other people safe, to help society. We see all of these things that are brought down and everybody wants to talk about freedom that nobody wants to talk about responsibility, and no one wants to talk about societies that have a responsibility to take care of each other. And so I have really in the last half decade embraced I used to be a Las Fair Jesus as a capitalist, free market guy way back in the day, but I have changed my mind to believe that, yeah, no, I have a societal responsibility and socialist type programs, for lack of a better way of saying them, we already use them in terms of our school Public schools are fire and safety, emergency services. There are state programs that benefit the poor. And I think we have to stop thinking in terms of rugged individualism, which is a catchword in right wing circles, and think, well, the individual is important, and autonomy is important. But if I'm going to be part of a society. I have a responsibility to that society. What is it and how do we create governmental programs to assist those who are disadvantaged, who don't have the head start that I have, who are going through men's suffering. Right If I'm going to decrease the suffering and increase the joy, well, I can't do it alone. I think we can provide a governmental structure, hopefully with a measure of accountability, someday, acting in a pro social and honest way to assist and to build the country that I want to live in. Right now, it's a free for all. It's a meritocracy, it's an oligarchy, it's a grift. The billionaires have become wealth hoarders. We get a trillionaire or close to a trillionaire, which is just obscene, And I think now there's no reason in a world of this much suffering that there should be billionaires. I think social societal social list democratically socialist programs. We can have democratic processes in place, but we also need programs that we are all funding to benefit the society that benefits us. Freedom with responsibility, and that's something I've really changed my mind on in the last few years to embrace the concept of democratic socialism. Seth, thank you so much for the time.
Speaker 4: There's so much more I'd like to ask, and I'm sure we'll get lots of questions from honestness as well.
Speaker 3: But this has been an absolute pleasure. It's lovely to be able to target humanism is it's just what I've been leading with. I just want the world to know that we're good. I'm good, You're good. People are good. And this thing that we walk through life with that we're all born with original sin, and we're all infected, and we're all unworthy, and we all deserve hell or annihilation or the grave or some sort of punishment because we're icky.
Speaker 2: And all this.
Speaker 3: Whenever we stop all of that nonsense and we see and acknowledge and promote the preciousness of being alive, it is just transform it. So any conversation about humanism, I'm in. You call me, I'm in, And so it's an honor to be able to talk about this subject.
Speaker 2: That's so dear to my heart.
Speaker 3: What we don't have gods and monsters, right, all we really have is each other. And that means we know what the work is and we know what needs to change, and we know who's going to have to change it, and the humanist within us should now be activated to go and change the world.
Speaker 4: Seth Andrews, thank you so much for joining us on Humanism Now.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the conversation on the Humanism Now show. I appreciate James letting me play along. I'll link to his broadcast in the description box if you want to go and subscribe to his show, which is streaming on all major platforms. So all my best to him and to you. Then I will see you back here next time.
Speaker 1: Follow The Thinking Atheist on Facebook and Twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and videos, products like mugs and t shirts featuring the Thinking Atheist logo, links to atheist pages and resources, and details on upcoming free thought events and conventions. Log onto our website, The Thinkingatheist dot com.