Speaker 1: Set up with the everyday grind. I want to get away from it all. We offer you.
Speaker 2: Escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of today, for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 3: You are making your painful way over the great India desert, alone and dying of first while behind you, pursuing you by the fanatical copy is who once bowed.
Speaker 4: To you as king, and now call for your life.
Speaker 2: Tonight we escape to India and two soldiers of fortune who pushed fate too far. As Rudyard Kipling told it in his famous story The Man Who Would Be King.
Speaker 5: One Saturday night, it was my unpleasant duty to put the paper to bed alone. It was a pitchy, black knight, as stifling as a knight can be in India and June. It was very still, save for the ticking of the clock above my desk, which seemed to shutter the black heat of the night. As the hands crept toward three a m. And then from the outside my door I heard voices.
Speaker 1: There only yes, and why are you so you don't remember a thing?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I can't order, then job purporder.
Speaker 5: Haven The authority turn us back for impersonating newspaper man newspaper.
Speaker 2: And then there was the Trine, yea.
Speaker 4: Half of which you had as throne if I remember correct.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, that flaming red hair, that bald head, Old Daniel driver and peachy conahead, let's die.
Speaker 1: Well what you two? One is time? If it's money, I haven't got it.
Speaker 4: And if it's a fight, it's too beastly hot.
Speaker 5: Again, less yourself easy, because we have come asking for nought except for information.
Speaker 2: We've been all over this country and we've concluded that injury isn't big enough for such as Daniel and me.
Speaker 4: So where are going away? To the kings?
Speaker 2: Kings in our own divine right?
Speaker 4: What I we shall be king?
Speaker 5: We've signed a solemn contract, each to help the other, and neither of it to look at liquor or women.
Speaker 1: And two we have become king.
Speaker 5: And I've never heard of such a fantastic idea. What do you want of me but a look at such maps of Kapiistan as you might have of that.
Speaker 1: Maps of Kafiristan. That's where we decided to go.
Speaker 5: And don't you realize that not one single Englishman has ever gone into the Characteristan mountains and lived at mouth?
Speaker 4: Again, you have a good deal more likely to become.
Speaker 5: Dead men than kill anyway, I don't believe you had the slightest intention of traveling a mile outside of Deli.
Speaker 2: Then you should come down to the Surai market place in the morning time, where a caravan.
Speaker 1: Leave for a note. Now look, look you to him.
Speaker 5: I'm a news man, not a no man. Now why should I come down to that filthy Peston? Not so sure that you're either what you mean?
Speaker 4: You say you're amuseman.
Speaker 5: But here's the chance to see the start are the greatest story of all time, and you'd pass it up because you're too blasty lazy to get up there early in the morning.
Speaker 1: Come along, grab at my life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you should have a change of art, come to the Serai in the morning and see whether we'd be.
Speaker 3: Liars or not.
Speaker 5: And so they left, those two lovable scoundrels, and I sat alone in my office, thinking the kings of Kafiristan kings indeed. But then, perhaps, just perhaps they might pull it off and it would be something to keeble home. And so it was that the next morning I was making my way through the dirty, milling clouds of the Serai market.
Speaker 1: Place, the.
Speaker 4: Far Canaan our stars and heard you should not laugh at him. Save the witless surrounder the protection.
Speaker 1: And who is the fellow anyway?
Speaker 4: And mad pre Savee was arrived only this morning from Ashmir.
Speaker 5: I see I see you side, Come look at my camels loaded with toys to please the eye of an army.
Speaker 1: No, now, go about your business. I haven't any use for toys.
Speaker 5: He is our wondrous toys. Indeed sibe fit for a king of Kafiristan. What my good lord and your drevet cuiet come along. I have two camels just beyond the warrior the blessings of pir Khan, and the gracious sidebe consents to look at the poor toys of a priest from Ajmere.
Speaker 4: Over this way, where's Commagen here we are. Permit me to present my servant as a mere god.
Speaker 1: At your service, Governor. Well, guy, did lay party?
Speaker 5: And if they fool this crowd and they said, they're probably good enough to get you across the border, and good enough to get you killed. Get and killed is no part of the contract Peche and me draw up, although perhaps killing fits in with our plans in a different sense. Feel around underneath the toys there and the camel bag.
Speaker 2: Huh my, good lord, the rifles twenty brand new liandfields with ammunition to matt Yeah, and twenty good reasons to make your death certain.
Speaker 4: Any patroon of the hill tribes would kill his own mother to get a rifle.
Speaker 5: Now, what harm a poor mad preside? Allah protects me? Mad is writer, and so was Lord five and Roads and Bonaparte drive out the camel specie.
Speaker 4: We have a long way to go before we become king.
Speaker 5: As a student listened to the camel bells fade away in the pisties, did I wondered if it might not be a glorious thing to go to kafurrias stand and.
Speaker 1: Be a king.
Speaker 5: Three years pass in India, much as they pass in any other land. It grows hot, then the rains come, and then they heat again. The paper duly records the death of a sultan rash Putana, and the trees in the courtyard grow a few feet fallow, and finally time in its circle turned up another night, much like the one three years before. Once again I sat alone in the office, listening to the clock and waiting for some unimportant item to come over the wire from Europe it was long after midnight when my office door slowly opened. Well, I say you might knock first, you know, Look, look, good lord man, what's wrong?
Speaker 6: You don't know who I am here?
Speaker 4: No, no, I haven't the faintest idea have it here. You'd better sit down, old fellow.
Speaker 1: You're in a bad way.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you. It's a whole year. I've been walking right here in this very office. We suddenly you're setting right there and given us the maps.
Speaker 1: You've been sitting here ever since.
Speaker 5: No, no, man couldn't change that much in three years. You're not pitchy connaheen.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was the king of Kafilis Dan Me and Daniel Travi, real crime kings.
Speaker 1: We was.
Speaker 6: It's just true gospel.
Speaker 1: What in the name of Heaven have they done for you? Pitchy pitchy, a new peachy k He's a king, a real golden crown on either told me he does. He's dead now.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, you're peachy Kanahan, you are, and you must put yourself together.
Speaker 1: Poor poor You've got to keep looking in in my eyes. Maybe everything won't.
Speaker 4: Go to piece, all right, all right, No, tell me what happened to pech.
Speaker 6: We left the caravan and yaddallah, and we struck off into the ears. Yes, go on a week signals for travel, Daniel me. First there wasn't no roads, and after a while no woo. There was always the drums. Sometimes there was close sometimes father, most of the time we could hear them.
Speaker 5: Oh man, yeah, Now it's no brace to be stopping up right here.
Speaker 1: It's no use, Daniel, what's got into him? The poor beasts are done in and starve with ourselves. I've gone no.
Speaker 4: Further and we'll go on without him. I'm not come this far to die on the side of the mountain. Wait.
Speaker 1: Look, Daniel, I would need them rocks, U.
Speaker 5: Men, they are y a's a score of more of them, and one goes out of the rest in nought.
Speaker 4: But those narrows they got a pair of the rifle of peg rot.
Speaker 1: You are, Daniel.
Speaker 5: It's now that way start to become kings here here and some cattridges too easy enough, peachey. I'll drop the spect lets the rear first. Then we'll lay a few at their feet.
Speaker 4: No arm to the one in front. We may need him. Now, old hold it, Daniel, look at him. Ah, right on that blooming faces leader.
Speaker 1: He's coming out alone, well.
Speaker 5: And good, he's gonna go pop. You meet him, Pache, keep your rifle by look at him, Daniel. He's as fair as us with yellow hair, so he is part of the lost tribes. These people are sopped.
Speaker 4: I await your command.
Speaker 1: Oh, ye who speak with the voice of thunder?
Speaker 4: Why the lord dairy peachey? Will you luck?
Speaker 5: It's the old Afghan tongue. He speaks, speaker. Who are and whence do you come? I am high priest and the chief of the village of Plushkai.
Speaker 1: A journey of only a few hot.
Speaker 4: Beats, it's Bashkai. How many people there are?
Speaker 5: Number in the thousands, and I'm all villagers in the hills more than a.
Speaker 1: Man has fingers and toads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that peachy. Here's our kingdom meat to order, and you you are going to take us to Bashkai. Do you understand?
Speaker 3: I understand the voice of thunder that you speak.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's a smooth one. Peachey. He does something that too. What's your name, Mazurk? That's too long. He We'll call him Pache.
Speaker 2: He has the look about him of an old soldiering friend of eyes Billy.
Speaker 4: So he touched. Hey, we bestow a name on you.
Speaker 5: From now on, you'll beat Pillyfish and put this on your drums.
Speaker 4: Tell them two kings have come out of the mountain tops. Two kings that speaking words are fund that so they are trembles.
Speaker 7: Tell them two kings have come to Camparistan, Joe, Peche, Why are.
Speaker 1: You sitting out here in the dark.
Speaker 4: I've been thinking. Man has to stop and think sometimes.
Speaker 1: But anything special.
Speaker 5: Then look at him, Pache, Look at that blinking campfires are cleaning in the dark like the jewels in the crown.
Speaker 2: Yes, Daniel, and a fine job for sure. All twenty three villages, you're joined together as one.
Speaker 5: It is the army you train to be thankful it two thousand men with a fair knowledge of better eyes.
Speaker 1: Some of them's a bit green at Itiot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there ours now, every man, jack, woman and child. We own a body and soul.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're kings now, Daniel, not proper kings yet, but we will be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sooner than you think. Pechy's that now.
Speaker 5: Billy Fish told me something today that fair amazed me. These people know the craft. They're freemasons, Danuines, I'm possible so well. Me it's gospel true. He give the grip and everything.
Speaker 4: It's old.
Speaker 5: The craft is older than the memory of men, and up here in the hills they've been preserving it all these years. Why some of the eye priests know up through the fillow craft, but they don't know the third degree, you see it, Peachey.
Speaker 4: They don't know the third degree, but we do.
Speaker 1: Daniel, what is it you're fixing to do?
Speaker 8: Do?
Speaker 9: We're going to be proper kings.
Speaker 4: We got them going and coming.
Speaker 5: Now I'm going to turn the whole country into one grand lodge, raise some of the priest to the third degree, and for me, I'll be the grand master of Kafiristan.
Speaker 1: You've got the right. We've never been officers in a.
Speaker 4: Lodge, right. What's a king got to do with asking for our right?
Speaker 1: I'm against it, Daniel. It's no good to go fooling around with the crop.
Speaker 4: You talk like an old woman. The thing will work, I know it will.
Speaker 5: We'll make it a bloomin ceremony, regular aprons with the symbols and the.
Speaker 4: Marks all for us pige The king's the Kafirrish child.
Speaker 5: Everything is prepared muster and the priests and the people wait, well longer, Billy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, peachy, how do you like my apron?
Speaker 1: The Wonderer's saw it for fair Daniel.
Speaker 4: Made a white almond skin. It is, and the Master's mark with him a little studied the mark? You know the meaning of the mark that I do.
Speaker 5: It's got into you, Billy, is a thing that's passing. Strange, muster, strange and radish. Have Alona very pg right with you, Daniel, and we go under the temple steps.
Speaker 4: We'll give him what far they're blinking eyes out, That's what we'll do.
Speaker 5: Look at I'm peche right down on the bloom.
Speaker 4: And knees and yelling their fool.
Speaker 1: Head George Hay's a good thing to be a king, Daniel?
Speaker 5: The mark?
Speaker 1: Behold the mark?
Speaker 4: Ye know what's wrong with the priest?
Speaker 1: Believe it looks like trouble, Daniel?
Speaker 4: No stand where you are? Must they recognize the mark? A great stone in the floor. Why do they turn it over? Wait? Oh, it's the same. There's the mark. Speak up, bellyfish, what's the maiden of it?
Speaker 5: See for yourself, loop Daniel carved on the back of the sun. Tis the Master's mark, all right, And the same as the sign you wear. Only a few of the priests have known of the hidden mark on the stone.
Speaker 4: What is the name? The many who have doubted you were a god? Doubt no longer? And you, billy, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I muster?
Speaker 4: I think that now it is the time for the.
Speaker 1: Ooh, tave you GOLs and crowns?
Speaker 4: Hi, how they glitter hit for the brow of the king.
Speaker 1: It's what we come for here.
Speaker 4: Now pull them on.
Speaker 1: We'll turn ourselves.
Speaker 4: Now ride well, listen to him. You know something, pitchy. We come here to be kings, and that we are all right but blamed if we ain't a couple of Roman gods. Taboo with a million people down on their knees. Well enough, peachey, So it was God's You became as well as kings.
Speaker 1: But then what happened?
Speaker 4: What became of Daniel Rabbit Travitt?
Speaker 1: Are you Daniel Travitt?
Speaker 4: Once?
Speaker 1: He's a king? Now Daniel is? Where's a golden crown?
Speaker 5: Conn was with dig trying to pull yourself together? Now I'll try good. Now you became kings, You and Daniel kings of all coapurists. He was a fine figure. Daniel was with his red red in that golden crown.
Speaker 6: Kept himself aloof from the people, start of speaking when he walked out in front of the temple like the had a crawl on his.
Speaker 1: Stomach to worship him.
Speaker 4: Yes, but what happened?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: Well, I I'll figure. Mostly it was winter coming up. Winds was starting up and clads was blowing down.
Speaker 4: From the north. Oh, it could blow beastly cold that winter wind. Who was out there at your belly? Can't found it anyway?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Now watch this, I have brought your food, master.
Speaker 5: She was the wild sheep, koury and rice above your knees? Girl, it inside?
Speaker 1: Why is it there? Y?
Speaker 4: You're a well favored wench.
Speaker 5: I do not understand.
Speaker 4: Why are you crawling on your name? It's sitting way to approach the god of Kafir.
Speaker 6: Stand?
Speaker 9: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 4: My room?
Speaker 1: Things up?
Speaker 4: You're married? It does not yet be my happy fortune must ready mean?
Speaker 5: What a god? I mean?
Speaker 4: How do I seeing here? You find me pleasing?
Speaker 5: What your fish?
Speaker 4: It's more wonders and noonday sun and you look the look of eagles.
Speaker 9: H very well in a leave now, thank you, master, m.
Speaker 4: Hey j.
Speaker 2: Hej ahs you calling me Daniel, Oh fools a right.
Speaker 5: Good, mark that wind that sn You know winters are bad. Do this strike and fill their passes with snow. There'll be a little moving about afore spring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, heyee, I decided to take a wife.
Speaker 1: But you can't do it, Daniel. We made a contract.
Speaker 5: That was till he was kings. Well, kings were playing these many months.
Speaker 1: Now, snow good, I'll tell you now, I'm against it, against it.
Speaker 4: You was against using the craft too, but look what it's done for us. This is different.
Speaker 1: Billyfish will tell you now the same as I.
Speaker 4: Do, Billy fesh eh, who's the king? Here?
Speaker 5: Him me?
Speaker 4: My mind's made up.
Speaker 5: Three days from now, I shall have me a while, and you could put it on the drums and tell every blighter out there in the ouse.
Speaker 4: Thingham, I'll hear a son, donna have a queen. Let's keeping a pitchy. They should have brought her in half an hour ago.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Daniel.
Speaker 4: How about you, Billy Fish.
Speaker 5: You put him up to stolen off, deliberate like, certain preparations must be made.
Speaker 2: Muster feet across the court with some of the priests. Maybe they're trying to buck her up a bit Daniel. She thinks she's going to die, you know, ah die?
Speaker 4: Indeed, why as it is against the loss of heaven for a woman to marry God, I'm not a god on a man. You know that by now, Billy know, and I should not want to think so. Muster. But either way this can mean only trouble.
Speaker 1: I beg you to reconsider, and I beg you to keep your mouth shut.
Speaker 4: Billy. I'm through waiting.
Speaker 10: I'm going over there to talk to the master. Please.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've got to go with him, Billy. I think it's gonna mean trouble. But come on, how many men can you depend on?
Speaker 4: No more than twenty with rifles. Most of my men are in Bashkai. And what shall we do. We shall have to make a run for it. I fear we might be safe in Bashkai. I've got bugling pools.
Speaker 1: Bring out the girl. Well now that's better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, girl, this is no way but obliged to behave ah smile now and give us a cares.
Speaker 4: Oh the waightious better don't let them see the brot.
Speaker 1: Right back. Daniels are coming with not they can't do this.
Speaker 4: I am the king.
Speaker 10: Come on, Daniel, come on, gone founded edens.
Speaker 4: I'll come back. I'll come back and beat the blastered edging.
Speaker 1: That's what I'll do.
Speaker 5: Daniel here, we'll be back, all right, how much further believe only short way beyond this ridge, muster.
Speaker 1: Well, so far, so good.
Speaker 4: Hi, at least them blooming drums has stopped.
Speaker 2: We're at the top, Daniel.
Speaker 5: Here, and a right good climate's been h Wait, it seems the drums have come before us.
Speaker 4: Muster, God off, no less than nothing.
Speaker 1: Sending.
Speaker 4: They're quiet like with them, look a long knives in their ends.
Speaker 1: So it'll be not getting past some Daniel.
Speaker 4: No, we're done for Go back, Billy Fish, take your man away with you.
Speaker 1: Go with them, Peachey. It's me they want.
Speaker 4: I did it me the king.
Speaker 1: Dan, I'm sticking with you, Philly Fish. You clear out.
Speaker 4: I am your friend.
Speaker 1: I stay with you.
Speaker 4: That a good man.
Speaker 2: Believe they're coming now, Daniel, pech forget it, Daniel, I'll forgive you freely fully.
Speaker 4: Then let them come. Maybe one thing they can't change, Peachey, we've been killing change and alone, right, I don't come.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if it sliced open publie Fish like a blooming earring. He did here in the snow and the rocks, and good lord man. But you, Pitchy, you got away from them, got away from him? Did I?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, it stung me out on a tree. It drove nails right through the hand, said did that say? Look, I have fooled him, all right, because the morning coming I wasn't dead.
Speaker 4: And then I made him.
Speaker 6: Think i'd I thought it was my senses, and I was afraid you m because I was protected by Allah.
Speaker 11: Cut me down, Lennon after the while, let me go, you poor devil, What a dreven What happened to Daniel?
Speaker 1: Daniel Daniels a king? He wears a golden crime in him. Now, now what happened to him? He never left me all in long months walking on the road back. He kept me safe the mountains.
Speaker 6: I daned at night, but Daniel held up his hand. Pitchy came along bent double. I never let go of Daniel's hand.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's with me now here in this bundle, you know, old Daniels, even if it was a monoquent.
Speaker 8: Look at him now, well, now I have seen that we were really kings. Be on my way, you pardon.
Speaker 1: I let him go.
Speaker 5: There was little else to do. It was only hours away from his death. I sat there and stared at the bundle he had left lying on my desk. Stared as the pale shafts of dawn struck fire in the Red Beard. Stared at the gold crown sitting too large and heavy upon the wrinkled, mummified head of Daniel Rabbit.
Speaker 1: The Man Who Would Be King.
Speaker 2: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Tonight, we have brought you The Man who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling, adapted for radio by Les Crutchfield, with editorial supervision by John Duncle. Featured in tonight's cast for Ben Right and Wilms Herbert with John Dayner, Peggy Weber and Jack Crusham. Special music by Ivan Didmark. Good Night, Then until the same time next week, when once again will offer you escape. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television Service.