Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network. He lay the cable guy, and you're listening to tech cock Radio. Welcome to another episode of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Seanda Weird.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for being here. A couple of great things to start off with. We got a whole bunch of info tech stuff for you on this show that I think you'll enjoy.
Speaker 2: I need the mental unload, man. This week? Is I'm so busy this week? Are you really? This is the only night that I have to do something not sport related? Right?
Speaker 1: And that's all week? It's games, right, and not.
Speaker 2: A women's boxing men's basketball, Right, I've got NCAA women's soccer tournament. I've got women's basketball versus USC on ESPN. I've got football versus Eyracuse. Sports are coming out of my ears this week.
Speaker 1: So do you do you ever get in those situations because you know, you play, say women's basketball, men's football or whatever, and you have in the afternoon, you've got a game in the evening, you've got a game where you're just stuck there all day. Right?
Speaker 2: Sometimes?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into some tech here. First off, well, let's se it's kind of tech. We have noted. We have talked about it for the last two weeks since it came out the Coca Cola AI holiday ad. And I'm sorry if you're like going, oh, not this again, guys, but seriously, we have talked about this, and we've talked about the fact that the people move a little funny. The window where the puppies are looking out the window, there's some kind of blob of red blob that goes by. It doesn't really say Coca Cola. We're like, why didn't they brand that?
Speaker 2: It's a reflect Well, no, you so if you watch it again, yeah, it's a reflection of the truck driving by. At first you can see Coca Cola in it, but then it blurs with the puppies face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as you get this.
Speaker 2: Weird amalgamation that comes out the other side that has nothing and it's just a mess.
Speaker 1: And then the people walking if I've watched the video over and over and over, like the people walking funny, and then.
Speaker 2: They look like the robot from Interstellar Tars remember that walk the big block server from Tars.
Speaker 1: Not like Robbie the robot who flings his arms around, but no, but they they move funny. And then at the the end, of course you you were the one who brought it up, the truck runs over people you it's kind of out of frame, but there's no way, there's no way these people would have survived. However, here's a new update. I've watched it over and over and over and did not notice this till somebody else in social media mentioned this, and then I went back a look and looked, and it's like, you know one of those games where it's what do you see that's different here, and you have to both poke it out or you have to find the ducks in the picture. I don't know if you've noticed this, Sean, but the big trucks as they're going down the road, the axles keep disappearing. So there is there is there's a shot of one of the big, you know, eighteen wheelers hauling all that delicious Coca Cola. Their new holiday flavor is really amazing. Their vanilla zero sugar is great. Yeah, it's super good. But the back, the back axle that keeps disappearing. It goes from two to three to two to three. It's so weird. So again, something else to look for now by watching the ad.
Speaker 2: I mean at this point, I think they're just doing it and letting all these mistakes go through so that people just point them out and people just watch it over and over again. I really think that it's it's just a joke for them at this point. They know it's gonna be bad, they know it's gonna be controversial. They just don't care. Yeah, because people are gonna watch it, people are gonna talk about it, ais all the hype, So why wouldn't you do it? It's a great marketing strategy. I think for them, it's just it's gonna get to the point where it's like, if you do something not AI, it's gonna be the cool thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead of AI is the cool thing to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's here's here's a big story though that people are talking about Call a Duty Black Ops seven and have you had a chance to try this yet? I mean, I want to get back into the franchise and play, but people are telling me just don't. Maybe you don't want to, I don't know. There's a representative out of California ro Kana that is concerned now that gaming companies are replacing human workers with AI. It is saying that AI generated icons, posters and achievements and the new Call of Duty Black Ops seven are a prime example. The fact that they're just saying, well, let's just throw this in there, let's throw this in there, let's put that in there. And you know, her district is Silicon Valley. So they're really concerned that some of these companies that are you know, gaming developers, are going to say, are you taking the short route whereas you used to create games with you know, so many people working on this end, so many people working on that end, and now they're saying, no, this game is full of AI generated icons, posters, achievements, and some have even gone so far and I've always loved the franchise is saying it's AI slop. And that's a term that people are using now that some of has said that thing would with Coca Cola and their ad. It's slop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's because that's what it looks like. It looks sloppy. There are a handful of gaming studios that are protesting against AI because it is taking jobs, and it's taking graphic graphic design jobs away. It's taking coding jobs away, it's taking design and environment jobs away. It's it's in my opinion as a gamer, I appreciate and this is something big, right. It's like a lot of places use AI for art, right. And in the video gaming world you're seeing it a lot more. In the tabletop and board game industry, you're seeing it a lot with small time developers that don't maybe have the staff or the budget to do a lot of or pay a lot of.
Speaker 1: Artists to get their game out.
Speaker 2: But the large companies that are coming out Wizards of the you know that are coming out of the content, Wizards of the Coast, Critical Role. Half of these they're getting caught up in these things where they hire out a third party vendor to make something for them, and those third parties don't have the same restrictions on AI, so then things start to slip through, and all of a sudden there's AI being used and stuff when they've been so adamant about not using AI, and then they're not policing their own work that they get brought in for a third party and fans are getting upset because they're paying good money for art. And then also AI slips in yeah, but they've all come out and said we're not using AI, we're not using it because it's not for our values, things like that. But then all of a sudden, here's the c AI thing, and then they're getting held accountable and then they're finding out it's third party stuff. So it's like trying to keep tabs on. All that stuff is way more in the video gaming world than you are in the tabletop and board game industry, but it's very prevalent in both.
Speaker 1: I've seen ads on LinkedIn where they're looking for somebody as a copywriter or layout designer or graphics and one of the things that they're saying is no AI. They don't want they don't want to hire somebody that is reliant on AI. They want somebody who has, you know, had experience with Cork or you know, Adobe or Correl or any of the graphics programs that are out there, rather than relying on saying, here, create me a basketball, you know, with the sunshine behind it, you know, when they want somebody who can actually take an image and do this. So some companies are saying, no, no, we got to put our foot down. We want to hire people who know what they're doing now, whether they hire that person say we just want to make sure you could do it now use AI to make it faster. I mean, I don't know if that's what's going to happen, but a lot of companies are saying that.
Speaker 2: I have to look at it from my job perspective. With AI, it's like, what are things that we could do with AI. I can't automate my side of the job. I can't automate plugging in cameras and setting up tripods and like maybe one day at Roboto billing one day maybe, but there's a lot of the physical side of my job he can't do with AI. The things that are going to be caught up in AI for sports is going to be stat generation, graphics generation, so taking like I give me these stats for this player and generate them and it'll just pull.
Speaker 1: If somebody could somebody could write code that could automatically put that on the screen and have that running tote on the screen and identify the players by number. And I mean, let's face it, the technology is there that it could do that, and.
Speaker 2: That's how it's that's how it's working now. Yeah, I mean it's but it's how fast can a human look at all the content that's been recorded throughout the game? Say there's fifteen camera angles, right, and all the stats are tied into the metadata of each angle. That's how it is. Now AI could scan that and you say, show me all the angles of player three when he's got the ball, and now you have a playlist of clips of player three with the ball. Yeah, show me all three three pointers. That's where AI is going to come into play, the big one. And this is something I've talked about talked about at work, is a handful of the replay vendors are offering faux hyper frame.
Speaker 1: Rate And what does that meaning?
Speaker 2: I can take a thirty frame rate camera and it will look at it and I'll scale it to one hundred and eighty frames. They give me a smooth so when I slow it down, everything smooth, right, looks smooth looks looks hyperp.
Speaker 1: And they charge for that. Right.
Speaker 2: Sure, But the issue now comes, and this is an ethical dilemma because officials replay relies so heavily on broadcast camera angles and replay can you use AI generated camera angles because if it's taking so say thirty frames or sixty frames and making it one forty three whatever, however you how many times you want to slow mow it there. We're looking at things specifically to show so whether or not the ball or the foot was on the line or over the line. But if it's generating an AI interpolating frames and now it shows the foot and it blends it so it's on this side of the.
Speaker 1: Line for this football, if that side.
Speaker 2: Of the line for the next frame, how do you know which frame was real. Trying to flesh out whether or not this type of content will be able to be used in sports broadcasting is going to be a very hot topic coming soon because of this AI generation. At what point is it ethical to use it for a broadcast, whether or not it's being used for official replay as a separate question, but can you use it for the broadcast? Can you use it for an in venue show? Could you put it up on the videoboard and show it there so maybe get the maybe hype up the crowd. But if they're looking at something that isn't real, and you're weighing the options on whether or not it's real or not, but the officials are looking at what was captured and it's showing something different. Yeah, you're in this weird limbo of do you show it, don't you show it? Do you use it? Don't you use it?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: It looks it looks cool, but is it ethical?
Speaker 1: I think for the upcoming Super Bowl for next year, I think we're probably gonna be seeing a lot of AI driven commercials, maybe even making fun of AI, which I can kind of imagine that might be something. Somebody asked me though, guy named Roger called the station and he had listened to our show and he wanted to talk to me about these this AI commercial from Coca Cola, and he said, do you have a commercial that you liked during the holidays. I said, I've always liked the Coca Cola commercials. I said, I've always liked, you know, the family commercials. But honestly, one of my favorite commercials and it's on now and it is I don't think there's any AI in it at all. I'm hoping I'm not wrong. Is the three ladies that are on the sitting watching the snow and people going down the slopes. It's for Amazon, and one of the ladies buys these, you know, seats that they could actually go down the slopes on. It has warmth, it has feeling, it has heart. That's I still even though I like that Coca Cola ad, albeit you know, aside from the AI it was kind of lacking in that this one had human interaction. It just had a lot of heart. If you get a chance to see that one from Amazon, you haven't seen that one yet, that one is really good.
Speaker 2: All the AI stuff just it makes me think about we're losing human creativity. Sure, you have a marketing team and they storyboarded this what they wanted, but then they just said generate. They didn't have somebody sitting at the computer designing it, putting their human touch into it, their design feelings, their their look, their feel into it. They just said generate and the computer did.
Speaker 1: It, and let's see what it did. And if that doesn't like, the.
Speaker 2: Emotion in content is becoming so sterile, it's frightening.
Speaker 1: It's almost going to be like the emotion that's received as the emotion of the creator of that that scene, Oh that's great, but is he is he feeling the emotion that those those viewers will get?
Speaker 2: Right? So it's like people are gonna want to follow like a lot of times, people like to follow directors based on their style, they like the way they feel. This is trying to emulate that, but it's it's just an empty, soulless feeling because there's not a human element to it. That's been my take for a long time since pretty much to say I was started. Go back and listen to all our shows. I've been saying this for a long time. You take the human element on of stuff, doesn't matter how good it looks, it's still gonna feel soulss. It's still gonna feel empty. And I know it. I know it's hard to uh display emotion and what's the word inflection across with with images and texts and moving pictures and stuff, but it's there's still an element there that it's going You're just you're gonna feel empty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it was created by AI.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say this, and I wish I knew more of the story. And I don't know if you heard about this this week. There apparently is an app that will allow you to have it. And this reminds me of The Black Mirror, which was the series on Netflix Still Great. There was an episode on there where this company was delving into artificial intelligence, and you were able to communicate with a loved one that was no longer with us. And over time that got so good as we've seen with AI, you know, over the years and very quickly that it then created a robotic character and then it created a fleshy type of organism that was just like that human being. It's a great story, Charlie Booker with the Black Mirror, you could watch it. I think it's in season one. But there is a company that apparently has created an app where you could put the information in of your beloved one who passed Grandma, mom, dad, you know, grandpa, and you could have a conversation with them using AI. And it's like, you know, I just is this really really needed? No, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's you can't. It's from an emotional level, from a mental level, that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.
Speaker 1: Because we have their voice, their likeness, and that's just a yeah, it's not a good idea.
Speaker 2: Or here's not a good idea.
Speaker 1: Here's here's something. This tells you how far we came. What was the number one movie this week back in nineteen eighty four see if you know this one? This week? And fall. Yeah, it was kind of tough fun Nope, and it's kind of a little bit about what we're talking about, you know.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on all right, thinking about.
Speaker 1: Technology and it's getting away nineteen. No, no hackers, No, you're throwing some good ones out there though. How about sneakers. I love that movie James Cameron's Terminator.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, that's a great one too.
Speaker 1: You got everybody talks about sign it with the robots and they took over. But believe it, it was only number one for two weeks, which was kind of surprising. It was a great movie. But this it had me thinking about some really good computer deep fake, which if you remember the term deep fake technology that was big between twenty eighteen and about twenty twenty one. And there was an artist out there and named control Shift Face right. You can look them up on YouTube. He was from the Czech Republic. Did some great work, but he slowed down over the years. Why because AI is doing all this. There's one that he has if you get a chance to see it, it's a terminator deep fake call roombo Roo m bo. It has Brad Pitt, Jim Carrey and even Stallone as the terminator. And you can find it on YouTube. But again I was thinking about it, like, how is different is deep fake technology to where we are today with AI and how that's being used. So I started doing a little deep dive on this, and no, I did not use Network Notebook LM to do it. But the deep fake technologies we had were just the face and it was computer graphics that did it, and you had to train your models and work the models, and it could move the face and it really came out really good. Whereas the AI that we have today is the entire body. It can move all the movements of the whole bit. But you honestly had to be a pretty skilled visual effects artist to work the tools for deep for the face swap deep fake technology. And I mean now with AI video technology, it's kind of taking that over. But some of that stuff that this guy control shift face and some of the others that were creating on there. There's one guy who does a lot with Schwarzenegger and he's still doing that stuff. It's pretty darn good, it really is. How far we've come.
Speaker 2: Now, How how fun Speaking of that, how far we've come, let's talk about socks.
Speaker 1: If you could find a way to segue into socks. That was the perfect segue. You will not believe what Sean is about to share with us.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it was real at first. I thought it was a joke, like in April Fool's joke. It's just fitting that Justin's not here, because this is the type of thing where Andy and I both like out. I know, and he's on Android now, but.
Speaker 1: I have an Apple. I have an iPhone.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, we both have loved the Apple ecosystem for what it is. Yeah, this is something that made me even go, what the heck? Why is this the thing? Right? Okay, I know they've made some dumb thing, dumb mistakes with making like a nice nine hundred hour computer mount and some other stuff, but for hardware and stuff, but this, this just tops it. Yeah, that's just Apple partnered with I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know how to say. You say Miaki se Miaki. He's an artist out of Japan.
Speaker 2: An artist. iPhone pocket features a singular three D knitting construction designed to fit any iPhone. It's knittedly knitted.
Speaker 1: It's like something your grandma would make.
Speaker 2: It's like an over the shoulder sling bag that is a iPhone sock. It was available November fourteenth, so is about a week ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was available in iPhone pocket is what it's called the iPhone pot.
Speaker 2: To go to go to google it Apple iPhone sock. It's the most ridiculously.
Speaker 1: It's very colorful. I mean you gotta give it's got some great colors. Yeah, but it's knitted and.
Speaker 2: It's just for holding your phone and it goes over your it's it looks ridiculous for one and it's two hundred and forty dollars.
Speaker 1: For a sock. This is gonna create some excellent.
Speaker 2: Short strap the short strap one hundred and the long strap two nine.
Speaker 1: Apple stores were carrying it. But here's what's even more amazing.
Speaker 2: It's so loud because it's just like, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm thinking, John, this is going to cause so many knockoffs that are gonna pop because seriously, the Green Valley Recreation Knitting Club, I'm sure there's one could be making this right like right now and start selling them at events.
Speaker 2: Somebody's Grandma's gonna be sew them on Etsy in two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just oh, I can make a sock. How perfect?
Speaker 2: I'm sure, it's like it'd be interesting to see if anybody's already designed something like this right on Etsy and now they're gonna go wait a minute, Apple, this looks like mine. Yeah, fact and something against Apple's lawyer.
Speaker 1: Somebody could make it, well, somebody could make it for their Android device or a tablet or I mean, if it's gonna become popular, somebody could wear it. I did not see any branding on it, did you. I mean I was looking.
Speaker 2: There's one there's one small tag on the side, but I can't without looking at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't really see.
Speaker 2: In detail like what the late label says, but it's not Apple brand. Doesn't look Apple branded.
Speaker 1: No, So I'm thinking you'd be walking around and feel like you're in fashion because oh, you've got one of those, which I'm wondering are they going to restock or is it just limited that for two hundred and you know thirty bucks. Now you gotta sock you can carry your iPhone with and if anything, it would make a great sling if you get mad at somebody just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I just I don't.
Speaker 1: Which okay, but if we gotta go to a break. But that reminds me Sean It asked the question, Okay, we're in November, right, we're towards the end of November. Where is Microsoft and it's ugly sweaters? We have not We've not seen.
Speaker 2: And find any information on it? Right for free show? Yeah, so where are you Microsoft? Because I'm probably gonna buy it?
Speaker 1: Right, We're gonna take a break. We'll be back with more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sean to Weard. Find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com and like us on your favorite podcasting platform.
Speaker 1: And now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks via help and keep up the good work.
Speaker 1: You got a great show.
Speaker 2: So we were on the topic of Apple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last and the sock the nice But.
Speaker 2: We've got a listener question, all right. Abigail from Green Valley asks us she's been doing a lot more work on her iPad lately. She has an iPhone, but she doesn't use it for work. The iPad is more convenient to take with her their laptop. The only wish I had for my iPad and with my laptop, which is a PC, is if I had an internet connection. I hear your show not really big fans of connecting coffee shops for internet. No, public Internet's not always great, but I do have an occasional meeting at one. What are my alternatives?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, your alternatives really are. You can get an iPad that has a cellular connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have. I'm my iPad. Actually it's a second gin and I know if I wanted to, I could have set that up with a self connection. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have an iPad Mini that has a cell connection. It's been great. We don't we don't use it. We used it for the two years that we had it when we bought it. Wherever we got tied into that plane with the horizon. But yeah, I would go look at your cellular options for the iPad.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, what about this too? Is this possible? She got said she has an iPhone, but she don't want to do the work on the iPhone. She wants to do it on the iPad, right, And if she's at a coffee shop, she don't want it to connect to the coffee shop WiFi. Could she not? And it depends on the carrier, I believe set up her iPhone as a hotspot and then connect her iPad to the iPhone.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, you can hotspot. You can hotspot your iPhone depending on which plan you have and how many devices and connect to it and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Some carriers may not allow that, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, some may not. And depending on if the is the cell phone single good at your coffee shop? Does it stink? Is it completely concrete? Does the cell phone quality even good in the coffee shop? That's the question. But yes, you can tether your iPhone so you can plug it in via a USB and share your Internet from your phone via USB to your computer. Or wait a few months and see if Apple's rumored cheaper MacBook you're looking at a butt. Apple is rumored to be producing a cheaper iMac which will feature the A eighteen chip, which is the chip that's used in phones, which is they're saying is equal to, if not better than, the M one Max, which is crazy to think about.
Speaker 1: Wow, So if you're not doing anything.
Speaker 2: Graphically intensive, not doing any three D rendering gaming, et cetera, that could power display, have really good battery life. And they're rumoring it that it will have an onboard SIM as well, so anim so you could bring in your laptop and have cell phone. Think about it, right, it'd be kind of cool to be able to bring your laptop, turn it on and be connected to five G LTE or four G whatever whatever. The next generation of cell phone connectivity is going to be, right, Do you have options? Right? You have options? Right? Get an iPad with cellular connectivity, hotspot your phone to your laptop. Wait and see if Apple's rumored a eighteen Mac MacBook comes around and has cell phone connectivity in it. You have some options there, So.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be pretty awesome. Then you'd be able to use it pretty much anywhere you get a signal. If you get a good signal and you're anywhere, yeah, that would be it. You don't have to rely. Now. One other thing that she could do in the meantime, if she wants to use the coffee shop WiFi VPN, I mean I'm a VPN. Yeah, get a VPN. There's there's different choices out there. Some people will say you know NORD, Others will say semantic. Others will you know, say you know Viper, whichever one.
Speaker 2: I use, malwar bite CVPN.
Speaker 1: Oh that's trying to do one.
Speaker 2: I I have their plan that gives me the VPNs if I ever need to be remote and connected via I can just connect with malur Bites VPN. It's part of my plan. But yeah, Nord, there's tons, there's tons of good ones. Don't just go search free VPN.
Speaker 1: Yeah you might, you.
Speaker 2: Might get some UNSULLI you know, some some pretty gross websites, but yeah, just do your research, but stay stay close to the big the big name brands for VPN and you'll be just fine. All right.
Speaker 1: That one came from Abigail in Green Valley. Here's one real quickly, because I know that you have experience in this Sean. This is from Ted in Clarita. He said, I found some old film, undeveloped thirty five millimeter. Any recommendations where to get developed? I mean people probably gonna say Walgreens, But I you I had done something like this not long ago, didn't you? Or was it one twenty or one ten film that you were working with? What was it?
Speaker 2: So? So, if it's unprocessed film, right, if it's still in the roll, there is a website that I used called Indie Film Lab.
Speaker 1: All right, and they will take the role.
Speaker 2: You've mail it to them, They ship it to you and they either they process.
Speaker 1: It for you and just give you the negatives, right.
Speaker 2: They process and scan them. They process and scan and do you find touches to that? Like they have a couple of different tiers for them. I off to pull it up. I don't have it and pulled up. But Indie film, I just look it up, Indie Film Lab, film processing. I think it was about ten dollars a roll.
Speaker 1: To be honesty, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Try to find their prices while we talk.
Speaker 1: But right, Oh, that's good services, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like thirty five millimeter uncorrected is twelve dollars for color. If it's black and white, it's twenty one black and White's just a little bit different process for developing because the chemicals are different than they do. Yeah, so it looks like it's about pre cut film scan only, meaning they just give you the pre uncut roll. Right, it's fifteen bucks uncut scan only meaning they develop it and just give you a whole roll, a long roll of your threat is eleven dollars. So that's what I did. Oh wow, all right, five milimeter.
Speaker 1: When you say that, give your whole role, it's like a negative you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like they develop, they take the role out of the film, right, and they develop it and they don't cut it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Just you just have a big long roll of a negative and then you can cut it. You can cut it up yourself or you can yeah right, yeah there. So indie film lab dot com, all right, check them out. They can do three five millimeters, six by four, six by six, six by seven, six by nine, six by twelve, six by seven, They can do all sorts of stuff. This is just film though. That doesn't look like it's eight milimeter. It just looks like it's like photo stills, not did not movie stills.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, Yeah, that'd be kind of cool too, because I know a lot of people want to want to do that kind of thing and get their photos done and you know, you find that role of film. You don't know, you're sitting there thinking what's on this? Yeah? What did I shoot with this? That it's stuck in the back of a drawer and you know this is family vacation, is it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, must say your your favorite car at a car show. So that'd be kind of cool to do.
Speaker 2: All right, we got it, and it says like the turnaround time right during their non peak seagus in which is January to May. Uh, what if you send in one to twenty five roles, so you can send in twenty five rolls of film if you want to do uh, you can expect scans in five to seven days.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna say a big shout out and congratulations. We got to get them on the show. And to Chase Roberts. Chase Roberts from Hackey Labs. He's a guy who put out these books. The books are first off Computer Engineering for Big Babies and then of course Computer Engineering for Babies from Hackey Labs. He is now. He told us about this, He told.
Speaker 2: Us about the he spoiled it on this show.
Speaker 1: He did. He said what his next book was going to.
Speaker 2: Be Mechanical Engineering for Babies.
Speaker 1: So well, it's actually simple machines made simple and it just shows kids like those books are laid out, but it shows them levees and pulleys and you know, movements and a wheel, how a wheel works and can't interact. It's a great It really is a good book for the young kids. And I guess it's available now Hackey Labs. So we're gonna get Chase back on the show so we can talk about.
Speaker 2: It a little more.
Speaker 1: So did you release so you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get it because it's it's I fundamentally believe in what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Computer Engineering.
Speaker 2: For Babies book blew my mind when I got it. I enjoyed playing with it, and Max and Daniel both loved it. The logic behind the books is really cool and it just teaches basic functions. It's it's just it's really really cool and it's weird to think like these little functions. Okay, they're just functions, right, but it's like it's fundamental functions of how things work.
Speaker 1: Then that get right, teaching.
Speaker 2: Critical critical theory just from a kid's book. It's seven pages long, but it just it's a book that I'd never seen design like that before. Just a very creative way to get kids involved in one reading also pushing buttons.
Speaker 1: Kids love pushing buttons.
Speaker 2: And then coming up with a second book, Computer Engineering for Big Babies, taking logic gating and memory reads and memory rights and tying it into a book that makes sense. And then you're changing the colors on this page, and then the next page you're writing those colors to the page and.
Speaker 1: It's just it's did they did the kids? Did the kids get a chance to play around with the book at all? Did you get I mean, I put it in front of my you know, my four year old grandson and who I three, and he was having fun with it, flipping the switches and looking at the lights and making it all work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the computer engineering for babies, that one is a little bit more basic level, like push this button, the light comes on. Don't push this button and the lights on. Push the button the light turns off.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That has Max and Daniel both understood that one. They were both able to do, turn the latch on, hit the reset button. They all they figured that one out. The computer engineering for big babies that takes some a little bit more understanding of logic gates and some other stuff like that. Like that one took me a couple of times going through it to figure it out. So that's a little bit more advanced. Not saying they won't get to that, but don't expect a kid to just they're just gonna want to flip the switches up and down, yeah, and watch the LEDs go up and down and stuff like that. But I'm excited to see this new book. It's simple machines right right. But again, it was cool because we asked him if he had any future projects when he was on the show. He said, oh, I guess I can tell you guys, and he.
Speaker 1: Told the show for us yes, which.
Speaker 2: Was really cool. So we're gonna have to get him back on the show talk about this.
Speaker 1: It would be good somebody else. Since we're on the subject of books. David pog who's also been on the show before. You've seen him as a CBS News contributor. David's got a book coming out highlighting the Life of Apple, which is gonna be pretty good talking about, you know, what Apple has been through over the years, the changes not only in the product, the changes in the theory of what technology is all about. And David has been working really hard in this book, so be looking for that one. I'm going to try and see if I can get David back on the show. We've had him on I think a couple of times over the years.
Speaker 2: And again the sock, See what.
Speaker 1: He thinks about the sock? We got to ask everybody, so do you get the sock? See what he thinks about that? All right? So that's one. The other one is do you remember growing up sean magazine that was really thick called Computer Shopper, and it was it was a huge magazine and you could flip through it and you'd see stories, you'd see sales, you'd see all this cool tech. I mean, we're and we're talking, you know, like the nineties two thousand. It was always fun to read and it was super thick, super thick magazine again, Computer Shopper, and it kind of went away, I think early the early two thousands. But there's a brand new one called Computer Gazette Magazine, which is you know, trying to get more people into it. You can find it on Facebook or check out Computeesgazette dot com. Computes Gazette dot com, uh, and you can find it there and they're got their November issue. It's been a while, but they're putting this one out and they, you know, want people to check it out, especially if you like some of the older technology, whether it be Amiga or Commodore or you know early Apple, like you know, my one of my first was the Apple two E. But again you could find some great stories in there in this new Computer Gazette Magazine again that's Computes Gazette dot com of this, and I wouldn't mind getting them on the show too, talking about you know what are they thinking?
Speaker 2: What nine five a month for print and digital?
Speaker 1: I could I could get Netflix for that, can you? I think.
Speaker 2: The only ones that I ever subscribed to, caitl I actually just talked about magazine descriptions here Ech it's great. We were talking about like how magazines were just one big ad. Oh yeah, yeah, for a lot of stuff, right right, so right, PC Gamer was one that I had. Yeah, Transworld Motocross is what I had because I was big into motocross growing up, right, trying to think of there's another game when I had Gaming Went Intended Power was what I had.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember that one. Yeah, I still have.
Speaker 2: I don't have a lot of I mean, I don't think I have any of them but anymore.
Speaker 1: But oh I still I still have a lot of mine. Uh mine Boot if you remember Boot magazine. Boot was really good Maximum PC, which I think was may have been for the same editors it's that was also a good one, and we've had editors on the show over the years when that one was out, and Boot was one of my favorite because Boot was like for those that really liked gaming, that liked you know, the top end of technology when it came to their own rigs what they were putting on. You saw three D effects in there quite a bit. You know, they have the Voodoo cards which were awesome. Creative Labs was if you wanted sound and great sound, you wanted something from Creative Labs in there. Uh, if you wanted you know, great hard drive technolog you know you were looking at the ten thousand rpm drives. You were going that way. And yeah, it's kind of it's kind of neat to take a step back, but yeah, I have all of my Boot magazines, Maximum PCs and stuff over the years. It's it's kind of cool. And then the other course was PC magazine from ZD. I know that before we take a break, I don't know if you saw the story that Paramount Plus is going to raise their prices and you're ready for this one no more seven day free trial. So they're hoping that people will just come over anyways, no seven day free trial and just go ahead and sign up for that higher price for Paramount Plus. Kind of makes you wonder, all right, we're got to take another quick we got to take another quick break. We come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm shy to wear.
Speaker 1: Subscribe us for free, yeah free.
Speaker 2: We're free on your favorite on your favorite podcasting platform, and I do find us on Facebook at tech Talker.
Speaker 1: Now back to TIF talk. I wanted to get your thoughts on this, Sean, because I'm thinking about delving into this, and you know, I know it could probably or maybe be a fad. And over the years, I've looked at different different devices that pair with your smartphone that are sunglasses so you can put them on and you can hear whether it be bone conduction and you can hear it. And I remember when Matt first came on the show, he won the mojaua bone conducting where they just fit right over your temple and that's how it plays music. And we've seen those over the years. Paula Abdul got together with a company and they sent us one of those to try out, and it was a lot of fun. But now I'm seriously looking at the Meta ray Ban glasses and I don't know if you've heard about these, but they are they look like sunglasses, but there are lenses in them so it can shoot video, take stills. They and that's the thing. It's a little hard to bite because the price is a little crazy. For the Gen one, which is out now, they run anywhere from two at the low point two fifty to about three hundred and eighty depending on the lens or depending on the type. But the Gen one, here's a downside to it. You get four hours battery life, and that's four hours of just okay, use here and there. My buddy Tyler, who I do the segments on Fox eleven with Tyler, said that that's if you're using it constantly, it's going to be a little different, probably even less. Features. A basic camera and audio dual five megapixel cameras, open your speakers, you get short video clips. Their resolution isn't that great. Microphones they're okay, but when noise handling, they say, isn't that great. No live streaming, so you can't wear them and go live, and no AI assistant. The new Gen two's which are available now at least a couple of years ago, and they've kind of improved on them. It could be time for Gen three have twelve megapixel cameras or photos ten ADP video, you get upgraded speakers with louder sound less leak five mic array for improved voice capture, live streaming support to Instagram, Facebook directly with the glasses. Because remember it's Meta and it has AI built into it. So if you want to ask Meta AI question, you say hey, Meta, and you could ask it a question. It would deliver that answer into your ears. Longer battery life about eight hours, they say, and fast charge in the case. But do you think these Meda ray ban smart classes? Are they a fad or is this something that will continue to be developed.
Speaker 2: I think it's a fad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really get nervous about It's a privacy thing, right, So if you're worrying classes at any.
Speaker 2: Moment, in any moment, you could just be like, poop, I'm recording now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it doesn't alert anybody around you. I think. I don't think it has a red light on it.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know. I mean there has to be some sort of indicator, right, because I mean people are going to use that nefariously, people are gonna use that. And you might say something off canter or maybe something you don't want to be public, and you have to worry about privacy.
Speaker 1: Brothers always watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not every we have to remember, not every state, but one party.
Speaker 1: Consent state rights.
Speaker 2: If you walk into a room and you're recording and there's a reasonable expectation of privacy, you have to if you're recording, you legitimately have to announce, hey, I'm recording this. And a lot of facilities, a lot of places you're going in public have rules for recording. You can't go into a private establishment and record without permission. So if you are, you're violating the law. Two. If it's a single party consense state, it gets it gets tricky. If it's a two party consense state, absolutely not. But it's it's all ethical at that point. It's all about like what for me? It's what am I gaining right right by live streaming this interaction.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny you're talking about this, Sean, and I'm thinking, I'm remembering Black Friday some years ago. I want to say, it's when you know, one of my TV segments, I went to our local Best Buy and they let me set up inside the store before they opened the doors on Black Friday. And I mean I had a tripod, I had a full camera, microphones. I had a light that was really not needed. But again and they open the doors and here they come rushing towards the camera. It's great video. I've got I've got that. Now, creators, those people that want to create videos can walk into a store and if they if they're quick, if they're quick, they can have somebody showing off a product without even them having to buy it now and show, hey, this is the newest product. I'm looking at it at store shelves from lynksiss or, I'm looking at this product from Western Digital, and they're showing it on the shelves. They're not even buying it. And there's they're creating, you know, videos that could go viral of somebody showing off a product in a store. Whereas before you had to get permission. I had to get permission from Best By Corporate to be able to be in there, even though it was a news crew to do this. Where people are finding they don't have to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: And what's I'm saying, It's like it's like it's it's just ushering in a new era of I don't even know what tow to fraze.
Speaker 1: It well and I can't. The reason I want to get it because amag you know, my grandson is is you know, for there are moments where I don't want to pull out my cam my phone and you know, shoot video all the time. You just have it on. I just have my my lenses on. So we take them to the park, you know, we go somewhere. We're talking about a Disney trip.
Speaker 2: But they're but they're they're ray like are they do they have clear lenses or are they sunglasses?
Speaker 1: They have sunglasses and look, well you can get clear lenses. So just be like wearing my sunglasses. You know, that's the thing. So you know, that was one of that was the thought for it. The price is a little but Tyler was was shooting video of him driving to Disneyland and you know, out of the car and now that he wasn't holding the camera, he wasn't holding the phone. It was taken with his Gen one ray band glass. I thought that's kind of cool. You know, you're on a road trip, you want to get a photo, you want to be safe. That's one way to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think it's just I think it's a I don't think it ever caught on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a very small place. It's very small place to try and cram it. It's on a hardware and you're gonna sacrifice the size for battery life, so it's not gonna be super great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very niche, very niche.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I won't get one. I think I think they're silly. Yeah, I got I always have since they were first announced.
Speaker 1: I got one from a company called the Hauh Dajo Cam Go, and it's a body camera and we're actually it's actually gonna be used in a video that I'm helping a buddy do that's all about remote control airplanes. I've talked about that. We went out and did the drone, so we were thinking, hey, we could attach the body cam while he's flying the plane going in circles, so you see the plane and you see his arm outstretched. But that thing only gets seriously it's maybe an hour of video and then it has to be tied to a device, and it's like that's kind of a pain. So I thought these also could be used for that. But yeah, you may you may be right, and that privacy thing is going to be a big concern with people. That's I mean, it's the privacy.
Speaker 2: Things are concern now just phones in general. Yeah, you're you have the capability of live streaming live stuff. I mean, just think of all the stories you've read about somebody getting caught in this. People think I'm a little bit paranoid about this, right, But it's like, right, being in public and policing yourself and just be a good human being. Let's just put it that way, right, just be a good human being. Don't do dumb stuff. But what what happens if I do something silly or I pick my nose in public, or I do something stupid? Right, you know what I mean? Whatever, Like little things like that, let me catch something and now I'm a.
Speaker 1: Meme exactly right, memes.
Speaker 2: It could be embarrassing for me. Yeah, it could be traumatic for me. It could be job ending depending on the content. Right. It's like there's an unnecessary burden mentally for not even my generation, just everybody yet getting caught in these scenarios where you have to understand that you're being recorded twenty four to seven all the time. That has to take a mental toll on kids, on adults, on It's just I think it's unnecessarily a mental burden on a lot of people. And I don't know, this is weird. It's that's how I think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. It totally makes sense how you feel too, And I think a lot of people probably feel the same way about that. I know that you love this, this space travel, and you love rockets and you love you know, everything, and it comes to it Blue Origin, of course they did their flight, and I know you did a little like studying into that. Is this kind of a good thing? Is this a big thing?
Speaker 2: It's a great it's a great thing. Right. So Blue Origin is owned by Amazon, which everybody's you know whatever. It's another billionaire of putting stuff into space. Great, it's good for the competition. It's the space race right all through the sixties and seventies. It was China versus rushovers the US first, Yea, India and Pakistan. And now it's had stalled off for many, many many years because the cost was prohibited because it was one time use. SpaceX came along said well, we're gonna launch a booster that we can reuse and land it. So in twenty sixteen they launched the Falcon nine on a booster, landed on drone ship, brought it back, reused it. They've been reusing drone.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah pretty amas, yeah.
Speaker 2: Dozen, dozens of dozens of times per per booster, saving saving billions of dollars. But then they were the only ones that were able to make a reasonable booster that could then land and be reused for future flights. Blue Origin finally did the second flight of their new Glen baster and on their second attempt landed it on a drone ship in the ocean and aren't gonna use it. It was incredible to see so again to see a another competitor joined the joined the market in reusable boosters to get stuff to space. It's gonna just ramp up. Other companies are gonna try it. Other companies are gonna put development into it. It gives NASA, it gives other companies that are putting satellites into space the opportunity to go with a different vendor. It's going to lower cost potentially because of competition. So it's incredible to watch. Go to their website Blue Origin find it the new Glen too. It's just it's just a cool, surreal experience to see it happen. I watched it live and it brought back memories because I watched the Falcon nine booster twenty sixteen land live which was really cool. And now I have an app called NSF which is Next space Flight, which tracks all these flights from SpaceX to Blue Origin to rocket labs out of New Zealand and the you know, the Indian Space Force right and China launching some of their satellites and stuff like that. It covers pretty much every space flight comes that happens. Is is getting alert for it and you can watch it because they prefers livestream all the space flights now. But yeah, the space stuff stuff, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: All right, and you could see this on YouTube right. Tech Crunch, I know, had a story about it too.
Speaker 2: Tech tech Crunch had an article about it. You can just search Blue Origin New Glen Rocket and it'll be one of the first things find.
Speaker 1: Perfect another quick break, we'll be back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm sure to words send us an x at tech talk Radio. We'll bear back.
Speaker 1: And back to tech talk Radio. All right. I have a quick reminder for our listeners. No doubt you know the shopping season has begun. Black Friday coming up, and of course a lot of the retailers out there want to get a piece of your hard earned dollar, but so do a lot of scammers. Just just a reminder that you get an email and it looks like it's from you know, one of those retailers, whether it be Cohle's or Walmart or best Buy or even Amazon, and it says, you know, to get this deal, you got to click here. Do not click there. Just don't take the chance. There's a lot of scammers out there that can create great landing pages that you'll go to to think you're getting a great deal and it turns out you're not. You'll be scammed into putting your information or your logging credentials for another site that looks very similar and give up the info. Honestly, if you want to shop for the deals, go to that retailer's website. Don't click an email to make a purchase. Go to that website itself and do your purchase there. Also, if you're going to be out shopping and maybe you're having a cup of coffee somewhere. We talked about it earlier, VPN use don't do your purchases through a coffee shop internet connection. Honestly, that's just not a good way to do it. Make sure you have some kind of protection on your system, VPN, the whole bit. But again, just a little extra, a little extra warning to how to be safe. Now here's something to share with you. This is the time of the year where we see a lot of dogs and cats. If you're on next door or on Facebook, you hear a lot of them just running off, running away, and then you hear a lot about the Animal League of Green Valley, you know, posters pack is inundated with dogs and cats that have been lost. Here's the thing, there is a product out there that can help. And if you love your dog or cat, which hopefully you do, it's called the five Mini Pet Tracker, and it's GPS and it's barely bigger than an air tag, has more accuracy than what they say Bluetooth trackers is, and is small enough to fit on a cat. So while we most of the time I think just putting on a tracker or maybe on your dog, you could put it on your cat. And it's a small smart collar and it comes as a subscription about one hundred and twenty nine bucks per year. You can attach it to any collar or harness that's about three eighth to one inch wide, and it's suitable for dogs of cats of any size. Now there's saying it's because of the size. Now I'm thinking you could do this with an air tag, right, I mean, we've heard great stories about air tags being used where people are traveling putting in their luggage, their luggage gets taken and then they track it down. There's a great one about a month ago with that. But if you want to take a look at it, shop dot tri fi t r y fi dot com. We've not looked at it, so we don't know. We just know that this is out there if you're looking for a solution to be able to track Fluffy.
Speaker 2: Or I mean, it just looks like a dog collar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dog color, and it's got be anything.
Speaker 2: But it's got real time GPS, live tracking and Escabler, so I'm assuming it's got some sort of geo fencing on there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Altae covers using Verizon Altae Mobile. It says it does three weeks of battery life with USBC charging or can compared to a five base for extended up to three months of battery life, assuming when the dog is asleep or you're home, you can.
Speaker 1: Wow charge it.
Speaker 2: It's IP sixty A waterproof, so is there in the rain, outdoors or so. It looks like something for a concerned pet owner.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: If you don't want to, if you don't want to do the r FID micro chipping, this is something a little bit more removable.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I still think you should get your pets chipped, to be honest, absolutely, yep. Uh cop. Fun fact is that if you if you're a nerd and you have a flipper zero, you can read the RFID tags on pets it with a flipper zero.
Speaker 1: I want to get one of those. Yes, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this just looks like a for something a concerned pet owner might want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we'll have to get a flipper zero and talk about that in the next couple of weeks. That would be cool, right, shop dot try fi dot com. That's it for this week's tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Shonda Weird.
Speaker 2: Find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com and give us a like and subscribe to us on your favorite podcasting platform. Have a great week,