Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't aware we were gonna be getting this information today, but it is good timing as it's been a big topic for a while and it was what we were just talking about a moment ago, the ACC Coach of the Year National Coach of the Year conversation. Well, the ACC Coach of the Year has been decided and it was Pat Kelsey who who won, which again shouldn't be a real surprise and certainly very very well deserved. I mean, you've got I'm trying to see if they've got Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't see. Okay, the ACC themselves is now releasing it. U of L is the first person I saw that put out the graphic that announced that Pat Kelse was the ACC Coach of the Year. And now they've also meant they've let us know that Chucky Hepburn was named ACC Defensive Play of the Year and certainly going to be a first teamer as well. So certainly well deserved for both Chucky and for coach Kelsey. And again I'm it looks like the ACC. On the Men's Basketball ACC Men's Basketball social media pages, they're currently announcing these winners right now. So again Pat Kelsey Coach of the Year, player and Rookie of the Year no surprise in the ACC. Cooper Flag have a hard time thinking he won't end up being the national Player of the Year as well, but most improved ended up going to Donald hand Junior no clue that is, but plays for Boston College, and the sixth Man of the Year is Col's Jeremiah Wilkerson.
Speaker 3: Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if that says more about the league just being so whatever, or if it says more about me just not paying attention like I mean usually usually, I fu's anybody getting any kind of an award in the ACC. I feel like I would have some awareness of who they are. I don't know who either of those guys are. Maybe it's because Kyle's brand new to the ACC and Boston College is not new, but they've never really mattered. And really that's that's I can tell you who's good for who in the ACC as far as which teams, But none of these teams were really like threats, Like it was nice to have this awesome season that we had. I mean again, still doesn't seem real to go twenty five and six, and I mean just be in this position that we're in. It again still doesn't seem real at times. But one thing that, you know, it just hit me as I'm realizing, shouldn't I know who these guys are? And the answer is yes, Like, as someone who does what I do, I should know. This is Boston College guy's name again, Donald hann Junior.
Speaker 3: Oh hand yeah, one heck of a job by him, DHJ.
Speaker 2: So it just hit me when I came to the realization that I have no clue who either.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even lie to you like, oh yeah, he's number on. No clue.
Speaker 2: These guys could walk in and tell me who they are and I would just, you know, I would.
Speaker 3: Just have to take their word for it. But there really.
Speaker 2: Wasn't many nights in the ACC this year or where I felt like as a fan, and I know I'm not the only fan that does this where I'm like, oh, they got hair and Goady in the post that notre name. It's gonna be a tough night for us, Gonna really need you know, such and such to to play, to play strong and not get in foul trouble.
Speaker 3: Ben Hansborough's yeah, problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you just because you played a lot of teams in this league, because that's really what the league was filled with. That just really like if Louisville really early on in league play, right, like once they got to January and started rolling, and they knocked off Carolina and they beat Clemson, and then you know, you started, you know, you started to see that a lot of the teams that you were gonna play down the line were not as good as.
Speaker 3: The teams you've already beaten.
Speaker 2: Right, you still felt like you had some value at the time with your wins over Indiana and even West Virginia. So Louisville showed early on. It's not just because the league's terrible, but Louisville showed early on despite the league being down, they look like they're pretty good. So therefore it was more more often than not, it was just all right, let's take business right, Let's let's just go do what we're supposed to do, which is win. And oh, by the way, if we win big, we're gonna be enjoying it because we no longer take winning it all for granted around here because of you know, the previous few seasons. So anyways, Louisville a great sendoff of those seniors on Saturday, and the postseason will start for them on Thursday in the ACC Tournament. In the quarterfinals, they'll take on the winner. So it's gonna be tomorrow is when it starts. It's gonna be cal And and Virginia Tech winner that play stand for on Wednesday win or that will play Louisville. So now that you're actually here the postseason, in the postseason and you're seeing you know, the All Conference awards being announced, I mean, what a phenomenal regular season. And in college basketball it'll always be the case that teams are remembered mostly for what they do in the tournament and you can have a great season, like it really shouldn't be that way, you know, the more I really give it some thought, compare it to I mean, every sport it's it's about what you do when it matters, which again is the tournament right when you get to the playoffs in the NFL that kind of stuff. But because you know, the tournament's just so different to where you know, we have resumes and seating that's done in a way that you know you don't see in the playoffs, right, there's a selection committee that decides who's gonna get in, who's gonna get what seed. They put sixty eight teams in, which means you know, you could you could end up just having the opportunity to have your season ended by a fifteen seed.
Speaker 3: As a two seed.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a scary thing if you think about it, because, man, your two seed, which means what you had a phenomenal year. But if you lose that game, which again you shouldn't and if you do, you have nobody to blame it yourself, but that loss could ruin everything. I mean, I think you'll you'll have fond memories.
Speaker 3: Of the ride.
Speaker 2: But is college basketball fans, we just it's hard to look back on a year and view it as all that was great, That was awesome, what a fun year, great year.
Speaker 3: If it is a real.
Speaker 2: Disappointment in the postseason, like Ucky went thirty eight and one made a Final four under no circumstance. Is that ever a bad season for anybody, But because they were undefeated and clearly were the best team in the country and then they lost two games before it all came to an end where they could have won the championship.
Speaker 3: The fifteen team. They loved that group, They know how good they were.
Speaker 2: They probably don't have like bad memories, but there's always going to be a sad and negative connection to that team because you fell short. I mean, it doesn't mean you didn't love them and that team, but you know what I'm saying, Like college basketball, it's just it's it's a different level of what you do in the Big Dance is not only going to matter more than anything else, because again that's the case everywhere, but what makes college basketball rare is that it's almost like nothing matters right like because you can have a great regular season that accomplished, like for example, like Mark Pope. Mark Pope put together a season in his debut at Kentucky that I don't think anybody would say he did anything. But I mean you could find probably people who are complaining about certain things and maybe not liking his substitution patterns or something like.
Speaker 3: That, but overall, like the guy won enough.
Speaker 2: I mean, he went twenty one to ten. They're safely a three or four seed at worst, and they've got a bunch of wins that have value. They beat Duke, they beat Louisville, they swept Tennessee, they beat Florida, who right now I believe is maybe the best team in the SEC. So you know, he did a lot of good despite them having ten losses. But if they lose in the first round, I mean, I think level headed Kentucky fans can say, oh, well, next year will be better. And look, I'm not saying that's going to happen, but all those great wins that I just mentioned, because look, some of the wins they have, you no, mean more to you as a fan because of who it is, more so than their resume. Right, Like sweeping Tennessee's is a great day for Kentucky. Beating your rival Louisville once again, it's a little extra special than other games because it's the rival. So what I'm trying to say is, like if they were to slip up and let's just say they're a three seed and they lose to, let's see who Lenardi's got them playing, And by the way, I'm not saying they will, but like if they lose to Troy, who's a fourteen seed, I don't think you're gonna hear me in the Kentucky fans talking about, oh, he swept Tennessee, he beat Louisville, he beat Duke, because when it actually mattered, you fell flat. And again, maybe that's not even good example, because I think I'm sure there are people hearing that in thinking I'm saying that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I'm not. But that was a long winded way of me trying.
Speaker 2: To say that college basketball will always be a real tricky a tricky thing for your emotions. Because this team for Louisville, you know, they had a phenomenal year, and who knows what the tournament looks like for them. I mean, I think their seed is pretty safe at a six seven, I don't think you could be an eight. If you did get an eight, he probably means you lose on Thursday. I don't think you can get higher than a five, even if you beat Duke. To be honest with you, which again easier said than done. But we have a real rare situation here to where no matter like we have such house money, if you will, when it comes to the tournament that I don't think there's a scenario that could play out wherever they end up in their first game if it's a loss, Look that could happen to by the way, like who knows who they're going to play against, Like you just don't know, But I just can't see any scenario. Let's just say worst case scenario again, you lose first game and it's a blowout. That will not make me feel any differently than I feel right now about this team and how phenomenal this first season was, how enjoyable it was to come back to life again this team, the revival, it's a real thing that happened. Pat Kelsey put it in motion, started talking about it. Did the Zach Bryan thing where he's sharing that song called revival anytime he gets a commitment. I mean, that was the clear brand of this debut season for him with the program, Right, we're reviving thing. It's a revival and it happened, And I don't need a tournament to make me feel any different. So what I'm getting at is like this is like, just enjoy this because moving forward, like if Pat Kelsey does the same thing next year, and like let's say they lose in the round of sixty four and this year, let's say they make the Sweet sixteen. No clue that happens, but let's just hypothetically say that that's the situation.
Speaker 3: That plays out.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be a lot more upset next year, just because you know, this was such a rare, really a once in a lifetime kind of thing as far as just being able to enjoy it and everything that comes with it because of the circumstance.
Speaker 3: So again, it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: And again, if you are just not joining us, maybe you just jumped in your car leaving work at five o'clock, whatever it may be. Pat Kelsey was named ACC Coach of the Year by the ACC. Now will he get a national Coach of the Year. Who knows, But he'll certainly be in the conversation, and I won't be shocked if he does end up winning it, because you know, look at the job that he's done this year. It's been phenomenal. We got more awards coming in as Chucky Hepburn.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: I love this because I well, never mind, I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: I got it wrong.
Speaker 2: Because I'm reading Jody Demmling's tweet, which I think is incorrect. Yeah, because yeah, here we go. Chuckie Hepburn made First Team All ACC as you could expect. Terrence Edwards made third Team All ACC. So again, I if he's third team, then there's probably gonna be no second or third for Javon or Rain. And that's not a crime, you know, clearly. I'm I'm I'm gonna be a little biased, I suppose, but I just think when you look at how good Louisville was compared to the rest of the league outside of two teams, really, I mean, Louisville was I mean todd for second with Clemson, but they had the tiebreaker and the only team that was ahead of them was Duke. And Louisville had four guys that I think production wise and really just their value was I think worthy of All ACC. And I would And I know I sound like I'm such a homer here, and I guess I am. But I feel like giving All ACC honors to a guy who put up you know, not as good as numbers for a team that was substantially worse, I just I don't know, Like I it would be hard for me to vote for that person because I feel like being a part of one of the better teams should matter. But yeah, I'm hoping that it's the Louisville graphic that got it wrong and not Jody, but two tweets that came in at like the exact same time. Jody says, Louives pack Kelsey named ACC Coach of the Year, chuck you, Hepburn named Defensive Player of the Year. Hepburn and Edwards both on first team All ACC squad, and the Louisville tweet the graphics shows fat and it says third.
Speaker 3: Team All ACC. So I'm not better. I mean I kind of am, but you know whatever a tease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyways, congrats to those guys, and you know, not that anybody had to worry about it, but like these guys aren't going to get like complacent, right, Like this is innocent and that's one of the value. There's all kinds of I mean, I think there really are all kinds of different things that have just factored into this being such a rare and special season. And we've talked about a lot of them. But one that I just don't think you can emphasize and enough is that these are grown ups. These are mature men that you know, they play their experience and their maturity not only as individuals but as players like that's how you were able to go eighteen and two, and you know, even though it's against the team a lot of teams that aren't going to be in the tournament, you didn't have but one slip up where you actually lost. Because these guys do the little things. They watch film, They know the teams they play aren't making the tournament. They know that they were really expected to win and expected to sometimes win big against a lot of teams they played in, played against every night in the league. But they were still taking the floor as if it was a big game and they could lose because again, I think it's a reflection of the guy leading them, but also because their maturity, Like I know, we're gonna have some young guys on this team next year, and that's exciting, especially a guy who's you know, probably gonna be a top ten draft pick when it's all said and done. But I would hope that Pat Kelsey was able to really learn from this that there's you know, you got guys that can play. That's really the most important thing. Talent, guys that can fit what you want to do, all that kind of stuff that matters a lot. But man, I selfishly would love to see more guys that are you know, that are on the older side, that transfer here for one, maybe two years, because I think their maturity will make them one appreciate being here a little bit more. And you know, I just think it's a good recipe. And one of the things Pat Kelsey talked about and we got to get a break into a moment, one of the things Pat Kelsey talked about on Saturday that really really stood out to me was, you know, he gets asked the same thing a lot of coaches get asked when you're in that situation where you're finishing with that league. REP mean, you're you're supposed to win a lot of these games that you win, and so he'll get questions about the tournament and about seeding and all that. And I think what he says is the truth. It's what a lot of coaches say, and I'm sure a lot of them are telling the truth. But with Pat Kelsey, I think it's quite obvious that like he doesn't think about any game until it's the next game. Like it's a corny thing a coach would say, but him telling you that the next game, whoever it's against, if it's against Duke or if it's against Spaulding, it's the most important game in the history of a basketball because it's the next one. Like, I think that's truly something that they embrace and that's the philosophy that they have, you know, So that's that's that's really really important. But Pat was asked about something about the future and he said, look, I think we're gonna lose every game.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: My coaches will will laugh at me when they if you ask him this. But and I'm paraphrasing here that you know, he looks at film, he looks at everybody they play and fears they're going to lose because not he's down, not that he's not on his team, but he just you know, he's gonna make sure he's well aware that if he doesn't do what he needs to do with his team and his guys, that this opponent, you know, will beat you if you let him. And you know, you never take anybody lightly, and that's hard to maintain. And we'll see if he can do it. You know, if he's here for twenty years and Louisville's win in twenty five or more a year, then maybe he does get complacent because you know, he's a human being, but also like I think he really really really means that, and I think that's why he's been able to be successful at every level he's been at because he has a winning formula.
Speaker 3: He is a leader, and the way he's done it has worked.
Speaker 2: And I think the real kicker, as far as you know, can it work at a higher level than Charleston and Winthrop. I just think there's now things in place to where that adjustment period is not going to be what it used to be because the things that you know used to need, like a larger than life personality, a lot of charisma to walk into a living room and recruit a young man and have him come and play for you, Like, you still need to do those things right, like recruit, but money does most of the work right. And if these guys approach it like, hey, I'm paid to be here, it's a job, you know, you don't really have to manage the egos quite as much because even if these guys end up not playing the minutes that they want to play, they're still getting paid. But anyways, there's a clear, comfortable fear that Pat Kelsey has of losing to everybody that I think keeps him with an edge that again makes him really successful. You always got to have a comfortable fear of everything, not to be a philosopher, but a comfortable fear of losing everything you have. It'll make you live in the moment. It'll make you appreciate what you have and not take it for granted. And then also it'll also allow you to maintain an edge to the you know, maintain the same kind of work havoit the work ethic that got you where you are. Anyways, it was corny, but I'm just telling I'm just being honest with you. I see, I now know why before Pat coach to game, all these businesses that had him come in and speak, because you know, he's trying to revive not just Louisville basketball fans, but this city. Right he wants to make an impression on business leaders and whatnot in the community. And I mean before he coached the game, before he put the roster together, there were people like, I heard this guy talk. You have to listen to him, like he's he's he's phenomenal. And I was like, yeah, I heard his pres commerce. They're like, no, it's it's way. It gets way better than that like, I'll take your word for it, and sure enough, again, this success they've had so far, his leadership, it's the it's the root of it.
Speaker 3: All right, quick break will come back.
Speaker 2: On the other side, we'll talk about Scotty Davenport who's decided to uh to retire.
Speaker 3: Bittersweet for me.
Speaker 2: And speaking of coach, the ACC has already made a couple of highers and we'll see how they work out. But I want the ACC to not suck anymore in basketball and some of the hires that have been made in some of the decisions to retain some of these coaches. Currently, I'm not super confident we're going to be back anytime soon meeting the ACC.
Speaker 3: Stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: So last thing here on the Coach of the Year conversation for those who missed it. Pat Kelsey earlier within the hour actually was named ACC Coach of the Year.
Speaker 3: Not a big.
Speaker 2: Surprise, but the other conference awards are out meeting other leagues and in the ACC it was Bruce Pearl, which that's a guy who got it won because he did a good job. But I feel like you could have easily given it to Dennis Gates at Missouri, who went winless in the SEC last year. Had he won it this year, I don't think anybody would have been surprised. But again, Bruce Parl also did a good job. And then in the Big Twelve it was Kelvin Sampson, So you know, I mean to me, I don't really know who the overachiever would have been. And I think more than anything Kelvin Samson. Everybody knows it's a great coach. But also to see Houston jump up from American Athletic Conference previously Conference USA, and they've been good with Samson for a while now, even before they got to the Big Twelve. This is now their second year in the Big Twelve, and this is a league that, let's be honest, I mean, for a while, before the SEC exploded like it did this year, the Big Twelve for many.
Speaker 3: Years was viewed as the deepest college basketball.
Speaker 2: Conference and they had a title winner from just a few years ago, Kansas, who by the way, has been really good and this is the like Kansas is still safely in the tournament, might make a deep run who knows, and yet this is a really down here for them. So Kelvin Samson, this probably is not included in the criteria that they tell you to consider when you make the vote as far as who gets Big TELF Coach of the Year. But Samson in his first two years winning the league regular season twice with games to spare, that's that just out of respect like that guy. Nobody should be complaining about him getting it.
Speaker 3: And then the Big East.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it, but I think it's Rick Patino, which makes total sense. So you know, if you don't win your conference coach of the year, can you win national Coach of the Year? Right? Like will pat get it ahead of Shire? Because Shire didn't even get his conference?
Speaker 3: Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like but again, like for example, there is a there's an award that the Field of sixty eight gave out to the best transfer in college basketball. Well, they gave it to Tanjay, the guy Wisconsin who's had a phenomenal season for Wisconsin, which I have no issue with that, But Chucky was the first team All American and he was the only guy that was a first year transfer on your All American teams. So if he's your first team All American, how would he not be the Transfer of the Year. And again it's because you can be you know, you can be selective as far as how you want to give it out. But I would say for national Coach of the Year, the biggest competition for Pat Kelsey has got to beat Bruce Perl and Rick Patino, right, I mean, Rick has got the juice right now. He was on with Jimmy Fallon the other night. I mean, I feel like Rick is getting more limelight and hype than he ever has. I mean, maybe not as as much as he was when Louisville won the national championship and that kind of stuff, but I mean it just seems like, I mean, it's almost crazy to think that the hype trained for Patino being what it is now.
Speaker 3: Like go back to.
Speaker 2: Four years ago, even three years ago, before he even got the job at St. John's Head, when he first before he got hired at IONA.
Speaker 3: Right, like he was show caused. Yeah, the thought of he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Actually, by the way, the thought of uh was no, like he never even got any trouble. He didn't get suspend I mean, or maybe he did get like some kind of a suspension, but that whole thing like Rick, like Rick, Rick, whatever happened, I guess none of us will know deep down the full details of what involvement he knew of or you know, knew of anything that kind of stuff, and that's not here nor there. Nobody cares anymore. But my point is he never left fingerprints, even if he was dirty, So they couldn't actually punish him because they didn't. They had no way like he fought at anyone when it comes to the NCAA. So anyways, he just got in trouble for you know, having assistance that you can still get in trouble for not running your program and not having oversight as far as what guys do, But they still don't punish you quite as much as you're the god doing it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So anyways, with Rick, if.
Speaker 2: You'd have said three or four years ago that he'd be in this position right now, I would never believe you. Not because I didn't think he was going to be a good coach, because we know he's a great coach.
Speaker 3: Nobody's ever really questioned that.
Speaker 2: But I mean, he was a guy that, like it was hard to not as a human kind of feels sad for him because it just kind of felt like his reputation was insanely ruined, and like when people bring him up, they're going to bring up, you know, jokes about Minority Hall, and you know, he'd kind of removed himself from the whole Careen Cipher thing as far as it being like a national story, like people knew of it, but it wasn't like the first thing that came to mind for you when you thought of Rick Patino, because he was able to kind of put it in the past and win it a high level and then sure enough you had, you know, the Katina pal situation as well as the Brian Bowen thing, and it just kind of felt like that was going to be the lasting memory of Rick Patino in college basketball for a lot of people. And yet here he is. He might win national coach of the Year, he might win the national championship. I don't know if they will, but can't say I'd be shocked if they're they are competing for because we know how good the guy leading them is and they're a pretty good team. They don't shoot the three as well as uh as a lot of teams that you would consider to beat title contenders.
Speaker 3: However, Rick Patino, listen to this. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: Rick Patino at Louisville in twenty twelve and in twenty thirteen he so the two worst three point shooting teams as far as percentage is to ever make the final four were Louisville coach Rick Patino teams, which, again, like we all know, they had some good shooters. Luke Hancock was phenomenal, Russ could get hot. I mean, they had guys that they could knock down shots. But Rick has won where he embraced the three point line, and it was really how he built his teams. And then he's also been able to win wherever his teams aren't great shooters, because again he's that good of a coach. So I would say Bruce Pearl and Ricky p are probably the two biggest contenders for Pat Kelsey when it comes to national Coach of the Year. But we shall see, all right, Scott Davenport is going to retire from Bellarman. That news broke over the weekend. I mean a hell of a run for Scotti. D a Louisville legend, a self made Louisville basketball legend, a guy who I mean really grinded his way up from the bottom of, you know, the coaching ranks. I mean, I'm pretty sure he started. I mean all he went to Iroquois High School. Yeah, I mean he grew up in Louisville, attended Iroquois, and I mean.
Speaker 3: Ended up. I can't think of what.
Speaker 2: I don't know what year he got hired at Ballard, but obviously he made a name for himself at Ballard, coaching some of the best high school teams we've ever seen around here.
Speaker 3: And at that point he was already a legend. Well, then he.
Speaker 2: Decides to take a job on the staff with Denny Crumb and obviously became one of Denny's top assistants.
Speaker 3: And then Rick.
Speaker 2: Patino decided to keep coach Davenport around. And you know, he was one of those assistant coaches on that Final fourteen back in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: So again, the story's already great there.
Speaker 2: Well, then he decides to take over a Division two program right here in town, Bellerman, which to my knowledge, Bellerman basketball had very little success historically before coach Davenport.
Speaker 3: I mean, I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure they had some years where they were kind of good, but like, I don't really remember here, and I followed basketball a lot as a kid, and I don't really remember Bellerman ever being mentioned as like a team people followed or cared about or was successful. And then he got there, and now here we are, you know, twenty years roughly removed, and Bellerman is absolutely a team around here people care about.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a part of our basketball culture.
Speaker 2: And it's really because of him, I mean, him leading Bellerman and him being such a lovable louivillion that everybody. I mean, I don't know many people, no coach Davenport, that don't think the world of him as an individual, as a coach, as a teacher. I mean, he's you know, he's got a pretty good approval rating here in this town for good reason. And he's not He's not a young guy, let's be real. So I feel like if this guy wasn't everything we thought he was and everything we see we know. So because of that, he takes over for Bellarman, and people with no connection development, people that didn't graduate from there, people that didn't don't have kids that go there, they want to support Bellerman because coach Davenport is one of us, right, I mean, especially Louisville fans, because you know, he gave us a lot of great players, including Dewan Wheat back in the nineties, and of course he was an assistant here at Louisville and he's one of our own. So he got the job of Bellerman and I don't need to tell you what. You know what he did there. I mean he built them.
Speaker 3: Into being a D two powerhouse.
Speaker 2: And national championship within the first six years on the job. I mean a bunch of deep tournament runs, a bunch of nearly thirty thirty win seasons that he had during his time there, overall four hundred and twenty six and one ninety seven. And think about what that number would have been had he not had the struggles as they made that transition to Division one, which, by the way, I mean clearly this year not a good year for Bellerman, and you know I hated that this was the last year he was coaching. But let's be honest, Scott Davenport, I mean even before I.
Speaker 3: Guess, really the last two years while they were.
Speaker 2: In the D one, I guess the initiation phase, right, because they could they could compete, but not they couldn't play in the touram which is so stupid. But you know, they ended up winning their conference in just their second season in Division one and couldn't go to the tournament, which again that's a different conversation for a different day. But I mean, anybody that looks back at five and twenty six this year, eight and twenty three last year, which again, that's that's tough, that's really tough. Don't ignore the first few years before you know, college basketball turned into what it turned into. Because anybody that claims this is because Scott Davenport couldn't couldn't transition bellermant D one is just wrong. They made the decision when this world was different, and Bellerman's the kind of program that would absolutely get gutted by the portal. I mean, they're not alone, but when you're selling Bellerman, you got to sell money now because every program has to and Bellerman, I'm sure they're trying, and I'm sure they have some level of resource, But you know, Coach Davenport, the best case scenario for a Coach Davenport team as a team that's been together with guys who were veterans that have been around Scotty for years. They understand what he wants, they understand what he expects, they understand the system. I mean, I remember some of his best teams that I watched over the years, and then they were so in sync. I mean, you'd watch a possession where I feel like there were thirteen passes in twenty seconds, the ball never touched the floor. They got exactly what they wanted. Man, they were just it was like it was like a well oiled machine out there to watch these guys offensively, they play so hard compete. So again, I would hate for anybody to look at just the last couple of years and ignore the fact that this guy in his first two years as he transitioned to Division one from the Great Lakes Valley Conference Division two to the Atlantic Sun and Division one, the guy went twenty one in eight in conference play in his first two seasons twenty one and eight won the conference. And had, you know, things stayed the way they were, I think Bellum would be in a different position.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I just think there's certain coaches and look, it's not to say I think Sott Davoports is a phenomenal coach, and I'm I'm probably going a little linkier here than I intended. But you know, I wanted to play for Scott Davenport so bad when I was a kid, because I just I remember going to Denny Crumb's camp when I was a kid, well, the Louisville basketball camp. When I was a kid, it no longer was the Dnny Crumb camp. It was the little basketball camp, but it was run by Scott Davenport. And that's when I got to know who he was, just because you know, this guy's running the Louisville basketball camp, he must be a pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: And then I found out are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: He coached my favorite player that he used to pretend to be in the driveway when I was a kid to want wheat. And then you know, you hear him the camps, you hear him talking in coaching, and you know, just he's a guy that's hard on you, but he's got such good energy.
Speaker 3: It's infectious.
Speaker 2: He's got I mean, like, I love Scott Davenport as a as a human, as a coach, and you know, I think if you handed him the keys to a team that just needed a guy to be the ball coach, I think they'd have a lot of success because he's a good coach, but as far as running a program, maintaining a roster, building a roster, it just kind of feels as it. But it's not to say he can't do it. It's just that Bellerman's a really tough place to do that now. And I don't know this for certain, but I would say that if you're Bellerman and you know, you see that you've made this jump and things have really fallen off the last couple of years, and you already have it in place, which they did that Doug Scotty's son was going to be the next head coach. I mean it's probably and again I'm sure it was on coach Davenport's terms, But also I think if you're Bellerman, you know the timing here is, Okay, we're still gonna honor Doug Davenport, who is deserving of this opportunity to take over for his father and see what he can do. But you know, like if if Scotty would have gone three or four more years, they might have felt a need to really get some completely new life in there and and start over. But he's stepping down, and now, uh, Doug's gonna take over, and who knows what happens, but.
Speaker 3: Clearly he's UH, He's, He's, he's, he's, he's Davenport.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't say he's gonna be as good as his father, because I don't know if that would be fair to Doug, But clearly he's He's been around his dad as a as a coach for quite some time now, and he Doug, if you remember, was a staffer on the UH, on the Louisville team that Rick Patino won a championship with, ended up spending some time on Xavier's staff with Chris Mack. Took a job at E K You as an assistant as well, and then came back home to work for his old man. And here he is now taking over the program. So I wish those guys nothing but the best. I know, some of those staffers over there from just you know, being Louisville guys that grew up here, played basketball, and you know, I know if those guys don't have success, and it's not a long long term thing, it certainly won't be because of effort. Those guys are gonna put everything they have into it. And I hope, I hope that it works out, Love, Coach Davingport. All right, let's see here. Where do we want to go?
Speaker 3: Let's uh, let's take a quick time out. We'll come back.
Speaker 2: Actually, before we do that, let me tell you guys at the Little of Men's Clinic, because I have neglected my folks at the Lois of Men's Clinic.
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm gonna go see him later this week, but I haven't mentioned him yet today on the show. And that's foolishit me. Sometimes Monday's just they're so busy, I lose track.
Speaker 3: But Wood visit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love, Doug, go see doctor Wood later this week. Looking forward to seeing doctor Wood. He's I mean he's he's the man, and he can help you, like he helped me when it comes to a low testosterone. Didn't even know what it was. But that's why, without really any change in my habits as far as eating and exercise, I started getting man boobs, started not getting the same results in the gym, and I didn't know why. Just assume, Hey, I'm getting older, you know, I guess this is what thirty four looks like. And then sure enough, year or two goes by and I'm like wait a second, Maybe it's not just because I'm getting older, and it wasn't. I'm sure that was well, I was getting older, but that didn't just automatically mean I was, you know, losing my edge in the gym and just being lethargic at all times.
Speaker 3: The age ended up.
Speaker 2: Keeping me from getting and producing the u the right amount of testosterone needed for somebody in my age. So it's a really common thing that people don't even realize. So if you feel like you, you know, have lost your edge and you just think it's because you're getting a little bit older, maybe instead of being twenty five, you're not thirty five or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, it may not be just the age. It could be the age.
Speaker 2: Causing a low t issue, which I can tell you now that it's been over a year for me that I've been on testosterone treatment.
Speaker 3: I mean it's changed everything about my life.
Speaker 2: I don't I mean, it's like I didn't realize how much better I could feel. And it's not just like you know, muscle, I mean clearly that that's a factor in it, but like just energy, you know, even mental clarity. I mean again, I'm not just I'm not just throwing stuff out there to make them sound great.
Speaker 3: It's the truth. You can look it up yourself.
Speaker 2: The effects, really, I guess, more than anything, the negative effects that you can have by not having testosterone levels where they need to be for someone your age. I mean, the list is long. So again, doctor Wood is the man over the Louile Men's Clinic. Go check him out Louis Men's Clinic dot com. Give him a call FABO two four four four four thousand. Quick Break will wrap it up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to get to it today just because you know, mondays are really really busy, But at some point I want to talk about the the ACC openings.
Speaker 3: Because there are some jobs that I thought.
Speaker 2: Would open that are not going to open, and then one job that I understand why it's open, but I didn't expect to open. I didn't expect Kevin Keats to be let go, but you could understand why they did make that decision. So NC State's a job that is good and who they hire. You know, I have an interest in just because I need the acc to not be what it's been the last few years. And I think so far when you look at who Miami has hired and who Florida State is hired, doesn't mean I mean, those guys may be successful. I just I don't quite understand.
Speaker 3: What the real value.
Speaker 2: I mean, again, maybe it's just an individual thing to where they didn't think they would be hiring a young, unproven coach who's never been a head coach at any level. I mean, Florida State's hiring a guy's never been on any type of staff in college basketball and he's thirty four years old. So maybe they just it didn't matter as far as what they were targeting in regards to resume and age and experience.
Speaker 3: They just were so impressed with these two guys.
Speaker 2: Jay Lucas is the guy at Miami, which that was reported a couple of weeks ago and ended up happening, So you know, maybe it wasn't by design. It's just, man, they were so impressed they couldn't not take, you know, take take the chance to offer the guy those guys the job. But I just think right now, when you're a Power five program, the risk is not worth it.
Speaker 3: It may be super successful. You just never know.
Speaker 2: But the risk that you take this day and age and hiring somebody who's never been a head coach, never been in And it's not even about the experience as far as X's and O's. I mean it is, but I mean it's also about the fact that like, you got to man you gotta lead, you gotta manage people. You got to be the you know, you're the guy on the line. You're the guy that's responsible for a locker room if there's turmoil, You're the guy that's got to keep you know, everybody working together and on the same page.
Speaker 3: They got it, like they got to believe in you.
Speaker 2: And trust you, and and I just think when you've never ever been tasked with that responsibility in this new world of you getting new players every year because of the portal guys that you know, it's more about money than anything else.
Speaker 3: I just you know, maybe it's.
Speaker 2: Super successful with both these guys, but I just think the risk is not worth it because you could go get a coach who has proven that he can win.
Speaker 3: And yes it's a lower level, but.
Speaker 2: Nowadays guys can bring I believe they're winning formula and the likelihood of it. I mean, it's still an unknown, but the likelihood of it working at the higher level. I just think there's a better chance of it now than in the previous world because again, the things that you couldn't buy right that you had to have, you know, final four appearances and you know, banners and a larger than life personality because you know, coaches you know, and there's still a value in having that if you're a coach. But like, if you don't have that, you can still get players because you know what money does most of the work now. So if you are a school like Florida State and I don't know what they have in iol wise, Miami has all the money in the world. Like I think Miami is the biggest. I mean again, maybe they just love Jie Lucas that much, but he's never been Like I just feel like, you can take all the resources you have within il go get a proven winner like Will Wade and just trust that, Look, this guy can do it. All we got to do is make sure we are healthy enough for him to you know, have money to go get players and it's going to work out. But I wouldn't be shocked if Will Wade ends up at in C State. I hope he does, because I'd make the league better. I We're at a time everybody enjoy their evening. We're back at it tomorrow. March is here, folks, postseason play. It's exciting. Have good night, everybody,