Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Let's get it start at five o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon, a very very cold Wednesday. I mentioned this at the beginning of the show, and I know audience turns over quite a bit during drivetime radio, and I know a lot of people don't really get to get this thing started with us until five o'clock. So be careful one, because you know you should always be careful, and it's really cold, so make sure you layer up.
Speaker 2: But one thing, I mean, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: I just wouldn't have thought about it if I hadn't witnessed what I saw earlier today, these mounds of snow that have been shoveled to the sides of these streets, so we can, you know, drive on it. That's great, you know, despite us getting so much snow and despite it still being freezing, freezing outside, we can we can navigate through this city without a whole lot of issues. There's still clearly some areas that are that are not treated. Our man Austin, poor guy, his streets still just a big might as well be an ice skating.
Speaker 4: Rink, right nasty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's it's that cold to where if it didn't get addressed, these temperatures make it to where it's it's frozen solid in a major way.
Speaker 4: But I still haven't fell yet. I'm still I'm still like, keep that street going, keep that street going, you know me, I don't care about hurting myself. I just look like the reputation i'd get because now I'm a bigger guy, and it's always funny to see fat people fall. I know I do, But yeah, is that true? Like I don't, Yeah, I love it. It's hilarious because they fall in such hilarious motion I know firsthand.
Speaker 3: I guess there's some truth to that. Anyways, what I saw earlier, again it makes sense. I just have never seen it before. But because it's so cold outside and we've got, you know, just big mounds of snow on the sides of these roads on Second Street, the guy across, you know, the other way, the other direction of Second Street, he I guess slightly. I won't even I don't want to say he went off the road. But like, we don't even have full lanes in certain areas because they've just moved as much snow as they can. But his vehicle hit the You know, I would have expected him to just kind of run into snow to where it would clearly not be something that you want to do. But it was so frozen that it damaged his car, like cracked his front bumper. And again makes sense considering how cold it is. But we just this snowstorm that we had. Of course, it's the most snow we've had in a long time around here, and because we only got a buff freezing for just a little while, not all of it melted. And now we've got such cold temperatures that again there's just a lot of chunks of ice out there. I mean, in fact, I turned left on this was downtown. I turned left on and again I'm terrible with my streets. I got off. I was on Jacob Street, went up, took a right the light that is right where the McDonald's is downtown. You guys know what I'm talking about. I turned left there, and they clearly have treated the roads to where like there's no issue. But like if you you know the part that is not driven on quite as much in those intersections, like there's still some just build up. Then it's so cold that I hit what I just assume is just going to be like, you know, little ice, But you would have thought that, like I unexpectedly hit a humongous speed bump, Like that's how that's how frozen everything is. So stay warm, stay safe, and I'm sure we'll get some consistent temperatures above freezing before too long, which, of course, you know, we'll get all this stuff melted and out of the way. I'm not bothered by it a whole lot, even though it has kind of inconvenienced me a little bit. But I'm sure there's many of you that you know, hate the winter weather that cannot wait for this stuff to go away. So I'm sure you'll get your wishes before too long. If you were somebody wishing that Louisville basketball would come back to life this year and give us a season as fans that we can, you know, just be a part of and you know, follow along, have some wins that give you a belief that you could maybe make the tournament like things do. We haven't had a long time. I know I'm not the only one that was wishing for that in a major way, and so far our wish has come true. Louisville basketball is continuing to play really, really, really well. They went on the road last night up to Syracuse again, a team that you know is not good, but I don't care.
Speaker 2: Louisville was really good.
Speaker 3: And you know, they're on the road at a place that's not Syracuse and it's a really good team.
Speaker 2: Do they win? I don't know. Would clearly be very tough, but all you can do is.
Speaker 3: Play who's on the schedule. And they're showing up and kicking everybody's ass. I mean, pardon my language, but I mean that's what this team's doing. Jerry called earlier one of our callers, and he made a good point, and I was aware of this, but I hadn't really even given it much thought. Because I'm now seeing Louisville win by twenty plus against a bad Syracuse team, and yeah, it's enjoyable. The feeling that you get from it is awesome. But also I'm not really that surprised because again, they've been on a tear since they hit January. I mean, they lost to Kentucky on December fourteenth, and that was their last loss, and they beat Florida State, a solid win, a good win. By the way, that was the way where I'm feeling like, Okay, here's our first chance. You've got Florida State, who is decent. But if you really did get better during these losses to the good teams, the Ole Misses, the Dukes and the Kentucky's, if what I believe was true, the first sign of me potentially being able to be correct would be go on the road and beat Florida State. And they did, and that was great. Well, then they turned around a week later and lost or nearly lost to EKU. I mean, they were lucky. They were lucky to win that game. Credit to Noah Waterman for getting that bucket who came in a major. But like you should have lost, you didn't, and that's all that matters. But like, that was a close call, and at that point I'm thinking, Okay, let's just ride it out and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This team, I like them. They're fighting hard. I kind of feel like they're getting the most out of what they have and there's gonna be some games where maybe they play well and surprise you and win. But I wasn't accepting that the season was going to be terrible, but the Eku close call was clearly an issue. But since then January, for when they showed up to play North Carolina, I mean that is when something was just different about this team when it comes to their energy, their intensity defensively and look, they were pretty good in those areas, I feel like all year, but they have really found their groove.
Speaker 2: And what I think it is is.
Speaker 3: They are they've now gone through the transition to where now they have They've had enough repetition with this being the team that the idea, the roles for each guy has been identified and they these guys are more comfortable in what they're doing. They know they're capable of doing what is needed of them night in and night out for this team to be good, and and it's been. It's been a beautiful thing. I mean, right now Louisville is safely in the tournament, and I think they'd have to start showing us a team that we don't recognize for that to change. Currently, if you go to the kin Palm, which by the way, check this out Louisville since they're because the Eku game that was a metric that was a metric loss, meaning you didn't take the l but man, you were held accountable when it comes to the net and the kent Pong. So here here's Louisville's net situation since the EKU game. So at the time they played EKU, they were fiftieth Louisville was. They won, but only by two against an EKU team that's now two to twenty five in the kin Pom. So they dropped eight spots despite winning. So with wins over Carolina, I mean they look, they've won every game by double digits outside of the four point win against Pittsburgh, who, by the way, is the best team they've played since they played Kentucky as far as the numbers go, So Louisville when they started twenty twenty five against Carolina, they're sitting at fifty eight. As they sit today, they're thirtieth. So they've jumped up twenty eight spots in the kin Pom. And yes, I know these teams they're beating a lot of them aren' going to make the tournament. Florida State, no EKU, certainly, not North Carolina, probably Virginia, no, Clemson, probably Pittsburgh, yes, Syracuse hell no. So like I know all that but you know how you climb when you beat the hell out of these teams, and that's that's really what they've done. So they've got Virginia coming up on Saturday. They should win that win Again, the formula is starting to give you the you know, it's starting to show that it's noticing Louisll's playing really good basketball, because when they went on the road to Virginia, they end up winning by a lot twenty points to be exact, but that was a game they think. I think the formula hadn't win in by like four or five, maybe it might have even been less than that. And here we are now they're expect the formula has this as a seventy two to fifty eight win, a fourteen point win for Louisville, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's even uglier than that, because this team is mature and clearly they're playing good basketball. But they I think last night they knew they could really make Syracuse just quit. And I shouldn't say quit because quitting literally means you just don't play. I mean, they were out there, but many that's Syracuse team. I said it earlier, I'll say it again. They gave me some PTSD because it was nice to be on the good side of that. But was that looked like a Kenny Payne type team out there. They would show signs every now and that they actually have some decent players, not great players, but some guys that clear, like Sterling is a really good guard. The big fellow for Ques I've already forgotten his name, real big fella, Eddie Lampkin. He's been around a long time, like he's He's been a good player in college. Was a good, good guy who was a good player for Colorado one year when they made a run in the tournament. Chris Bell, good shooter who you know, lit up Louisville last year and then last night got hot brief you like, so again you see some stretches kind of like Louisvill last year. You would see Brandon Hunty Hatfield make a play and you think, wow, that guy, he's pretty good. You could see why he was a five star recruit. You look at Tyler Johnson at times, same thing. I mean, you could tell that you know, this team ain't great, They're not good, but man, they shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be this bad.
Speaker 3: That's that's what Syracuse was so it was nice to be on the winning side of that, and that led to me kind of starting the conversation today because this was something if if Austin came to me yesterday, said Nick before the game, before the show, Fostin said, Nick, did you know that Kenny Payin's being paid more money to not coach Louisville than Pat Kelsey's getting paid to coach Louisville. I would have given it a brief thought that and said, yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's crazy. So that hasn't been something on my mind.
Speaker 3: But for some reason, I guess the PTSD of last night and just being so impressed with Pat Kelsey, you know, it is wild to process that, and that's really you know, if you want to blame somebody, I guess you can blame the the you know, the decision to hire Kenny Payne, but we don't want to. I mean, and clearly it was the wrong decision, but there's nothing beneficial and there's no need to even go back to that time. That was a long time ago. So again I don't bring it up to say we should be mad at somebody. It's just kind of crazy to process more so given how bad Kenny was in the contract he got and how good Kelsey's doing, so, I think it may have been perceived by some that I was acting as if Louisville like somebody like that they need to pay more money right now. And if they do, oh, I have no issue with it. It's not my money. And I think you're well aware that you've got Pat Kelsey on a really good rate for the Louisville job, but he's willing to invest in himself like Pat Kelsey probably would have taken the job for substantially less money because he's confident in what he brings to the table. I think he approached this with the mindset that is the right mindset, and so far, I think it's playing out exactly that way. I know I've got a formula as a coach, and I don't mean like his style. I mean I know what I bring to the table. I know how I how me and my staff work together. I know what I'm about. I believe in myself as a coach. I've been successful at everywhere I've been. If I can take what I bring and now add all the bells and whistles that you get at a place like Louisville that you don't have elsewhere, like Charleston and Winthrop.
Speaker 2: I think you would have taken the job. I mean, I'm exaggerating here.
Speaker 3: We might have taken the job for free if he knew that he could show what he's worth and it could work out long term for him. So I don't think what was going to give the guy a new contract right now. If they did, I wouldn't be shocked, but I don't think they will. But at the end of the season, if this thing continues to be very successful, I don't know if they're going to be the one to initiate it. But if the agent of Pat Kelsey decides to say, look, clearly, we came in on a deal that made sense for everybody involved at the time, and we'd like to to see if we can maybe get, you know, an extension and a bump and pay. And I have no clue if Pat is the kind of guy to nudge his agent to do that. In fact, I'm not even really sure how it works. I've never had an agent. But maybe the agents just do it without even your knowledge, because that's their job to look out for you, so.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do it.
Speaker 3: But if push comes to shove and pat wants a new deal, I think he's gonna get it, and I don't think anybody's gonna have a problem with that. It's just unfamiliar territory here because the unfamiliar situation you were in with Kenny Payin led to you to be here where you hired a coach and he's not making near the money that.
Speaker 2: You paid previous guys to take this job.
Speaker 3: So you know that there's an explanation as to while we're here is because of how bad it went with KP So potentially, I guess you could find yourself the product of that is is another unusual situation where you're sitting around thinking, hey, we better pay our coach because if not, somebody's gonna come and try to take him. Previously, nobody would ever come and try to take the Louisville coach because it's Louisville. I mean, it just didn't make any sense, not only because of the program, but because of who was the coach. Dinny Crumb turned down UCLA. You think he's gonna leave Louisville to go anywhere else. No, Rick Patino, like, there's better jobs than Louisville, but not many, And why would Rick want to start over and go elsewhere, like, you know, just doesn't make any sense. And it doesn't make any sense right now for Pat Kelsey to look to want elite, to want to leave Louisville for any other college job. And I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens, because if he keeps winning, he was gonna be compensated and they're gonna, you know, Louis's gonna get what they pay for. It just made sense for them to not. I mean, if they would have given Pat Kelsey the same exact contract they gave Kenny initially, it honestly would not have been a big surprise because again it's Louisville. Like there's a going rate for this job because of what it is like, it wouldn't have been a shocker, right, So what this did? I think it actually shows some physical responsibility from Josh to where he did learn this go around. I think this guy's going to be great, but I also thought Kenny Pain was going to be great, and now we're paying for it quite literally, so I gotta be careful. I'm gonna be you know, I'm gonna be a little more mindful of what we guarantee, what we put on, what we put in place, and you still have to do that now like it could fall apart. I don't think it will with Pat. But it's just this has been fun and I just I didn't. I wasn't trying to go relive the Kenny Payne era and bag on him because I don't. I'm so happy about level basketball. I don't want to focus on Kenny Payine. But for those and there's not many, there's some that get really there. In fact, I'm only talking about like one person that texts in. There's one person that called in that didn't want to come on the air one time, but just wanted the wanted whoever was producing that day to know that I need to move on from Kenny Payne. Why are we still talking about Kenny Payne. It's because you're triggered for some reason that I'll never understand. You are bothered by people not sharing opinions but acknowledging facts that he was that bad as a coach. And why that bothers you, I'll never understand. Because we had some people out here that expose themselves as Kenny Payne fans and not Louisville fans. That's what you were if you wanted to keep this thing around, which not many did.
Speaker 2: So when people the.
Speaker 3: Few out there that are like still triggered and get mad and talking about you're so security like he's a part of this. The reason we feel as good as we feel right now is because of how bad he was.
Speaker 2: So it's not like.
Speaker 3: Not being able to move on right now in the raw and real moment, halfway through a season. We're feeling great, And a part of the reason we feel as good as we feel is is because of how bad he was. So that's not going on, and that's just a part of this whole thing. And anybody who's like, why you're bringing him up, it's obvious to me. And if you're still triggered and bothered that, like anybody acknowledges what happened. Nobody's picking on him, nobody's going out of their way, and if they did, I wouldn't blame him. It'd be totally different if Kenny was you know, humble Kenny still to this day. I mean the last time we heard from him, I mean we didn't hear from him. Last time heard from him was at a press conference when you know when he talked about jumping off the Titanic, and I mean people forget he threw everybody under the bus in his last press conferences if he had no accountability like he was, I mean he was quite literally a masterclass in how to give two years at a gig the worst possible way you could. That's what that was. And I say this again not to be funny, because it's not funny. Not exaggerating.
Speaker 2: This isn't for.
Speaker 3: Effect, it's the truth. I appreciate his consistency. He was so bad from day one in every way on the floor, results off the floor, to where it was quite clear this wasn't going to work out, and I thank him for that, and I mean it sincerely. So Pat Kelsey, everything that Pat Kelsey is is everything that Kenny Payne was not, and it's been enjoyable. And we'll talk about this. On the other side, Kentucky can say the same thing about their coach. Both can be successful, like let Cal's clearly struggling in a major way, but he could be great at Arkansas and it wouldn't mean that Pope wouldn't be in the situation that he's in right now, right. But when it comes to why you enjoy this ride so much as Kentucky fans, it's because every single thing that you love about Mark Pope, outside of the fact that he played there. Everything you love about him, his style of play, his love for your program, his humbleness, his relatability, all that that is everything that the guy you used to have was not. And if he was still winning at a really high level, you guys would still act like he's the best thing that ever happened. Because that's just how fans o. That's how it works. That's how this works. But cal is crumbling, and I think him carrying himself the way he has really for his whole career. He doesn't have that army behind him anymore, Big Blue Nation. He's not at Arkansas and they haven't gotten anything from him, and they're worried that they made the wrong decision and he's going to be there forever because of the money that he got.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Imagine going back in time a year ago today and telling everyone that this scenario today would be in front of us. Nobody would believe you for a second. It's been a while ride, But I think both fan bases are, you know, clearly feeling much better now than they.
Speaker 2: Did a year ago.
Speaker 3: All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are fueled bout Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I was surprised that that was that was edited out. I mean, I get that it's it's a little risque, but I don't I think when it comes to like FCC which you're allowed to say nip, you can say nipples, can't you.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean what I wouldn't say, you.
Speaker 2: Can say nipples.
Speaker 3: But maybe it was the context in which, uh, in which he said it that was that was, you know, not appropriate.
Speaker 2: But how about that as the start of a verse.
Speaker 3: Stop drop, kaboom baby, rub on you nipples. Some call me something something, some call me misters.
Speaker 4: At wiggles, Yeah, some call Chris.
Speaker 3: I mean it kind of fit with him, and he had a hell of a run. That was certainly part of that run. But man, imagine, just like being a fly on the wall in the creative process, I think I got something here. I'm gonna start with this.
Speaker 2: Stop drop, kaboom, baby, rub on your nipples.
Speaker 3: I mean, it worked. It was a big hit. It's a it's a it's you know, it worked.
Speaker 4: It's a crazy sequence of things to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ludacris. Ludacris had a hell.
Speaker 4: Of a run. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yes. And I kind of feel like I'm not going to make the claim that like he's underappreciated in his world for what he did, because I don't know if that's the case or not, but I kind of feel like he do. People think he's corny or something because he's a huge part of the atl culture when they became like when they had a run where some of the biggest names for a long stretch. And I guess it's still the case today. But like whenever he became a big deal, like it was quite he was. It was quite clear he was from from Atlanta, and you know, he had a lot of big hits and he had a good run. And I just think it's funny now that there are certain is he still in movies and stuff, because like he was in Fast he.
Speaker 4: Did a lot of movies, the Fast movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and there may be people that just kind of know him for that, But I loved him. It's the last time he had like a I'm gonna look it up because I'm curious the last time he had a single that like that that was legitimately a hit within like radio hits and charts and that kind of stuff. It looks like, I mean, yeah, and this makes sense my chick bag. Yeah with Nicki Minaj, Dude, you want to hear something sad?
Speaker 2: That was fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know it.
Speaker 3: And then right before that he was still in his bag because he had how Low, which was also a big hit.
Speaker 2: He also had.
Speaker 3: I mean some of these I kind of feel like, I remember, like One More Drink with t Pain. Is that ring a bell to you? I don't think it does, but it was a hit. It was top twenty five in the in the charts at one point. But when he dropped I remember in twenty I was twelve years old, he dropped What's Your Fantasy? Oh yeah, And I remember liking that song, liking the video and knowing my mom didn't want me listening to that, and there was a level of like enjoyment, knowing you're you're getting away with.
Speaker 2: It, you know what I mean? I mean that was a.
Speaker 4: Dirty south head.
Speaker 2: What would you is that is that his biggest hit?
Speaker 4: I would have to say, what's your fantasy?
Speaker 2: What's your fantasy?
Speaker 4: Never even get stand up? Maybe? Uh? A lot of people know area codes. I think they still stand up?
Speaker 2: Is is his only song? I'm sorry? Money Maker by Pharrell was huge. I don't know how I forgot about that. Yeah, that one?
Speaker 3: So money Maker and uh and stand Up that you mentioned are in fact, just when it comes to like the numbers, those were his biggest hits.
Speaker 2: They both were.
Speaker 3: They were all three or that they were number one in all three US US R and B and hip hop in this US rap.
Speaker 4: Wow. But and he had get Back, of course everyone knows.
Speaker 2: That move get out the Way? Yeah that that that was a good song.
Speaker 4: And this one though degrade women like that? Of course I have them politely to get out of my way of codes was you know? I didn't love it, but it was it was a notable song. And what the song of his that I would say, like if you told me I only get to listen to one Ludacris song. Ever, I mean, I'm not gonna seek this out. I may never listen to it again. I'm not I'm not looking for it. But the Welcome to Atlanta with Jermaine Repete Jermain dup Prix was great. That was that didn't do as well as far as like charts and whatnot, but yeah, that was good. And then Act of Fool I remember that one, so shout out Ludacris Jermaine Duprix. I almost forgot about that, dude, And uh who else? The Dim Franchise Boys.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, you're talking.
Speaker 3: You're talking class of two thousand and six right here, bab Dim Franchise Boys.
Speaker 4: Uh, lean with it, rock with it, yup in my white tea. Yes, that was an era.
Speaker 3: That that and this is why, this is why I'm gonna miss TikTok because the algorithm, Like I'm sure it's because they're accessing something in my brain, Like I'm not, I'm not. I'm not somebody that thinks that there's not legitimate concerns about the security risk by having TikTok, because it's the one app that like, how did you how do you know me so well?
Speaker 2: Like all it works perfect.
Speaker 4: I'm still so sad.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's like maybe there's a scenario where you know, it's just because they can truly have that precise technology to know which videos I end up spending more time watching where they know they know to feed me that on my on my for you. But like when I was this is random, but I was laying in the hotel on Saturday night trying to go to sleep. I couldn't and we were in Pittsburgh. So I'm just scrolling through TikTok and I'm not kidding you. Everything I scrolled ninety nine percent of everything. I scrolled for like an hour and a half, two hours, And yeah, that's not a good look for me to admit. But I'll spend more than that wasting time on TikTok if I got nothing going on. Yeah, So so it was just nothing. But people of my age remembering that era than franchise boys, I mean, there's still people that are like like most of the people cast me. Ye, people that were in that in that realm are still known. They're just not as big now. But like they rarely did we have like I guess the franchise boys were kind of more one hit wonders.
Speaker 2: But you remember you remember Young Bloods. Of course they had a song called Damn.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was the So the songs that like I remember when it comes to like hip hop that that, and I don't mean necessarily just yeah, yeah, exactly, I don't. I don't think that, uh this probably was like this wasn't radio stuff. But when it comes to everybody who had a burnt CD in their car, because that was my ara, right, we didn't have you know, we did have MP MP three plays, right, yeah, so we all we all got stuff from Lime wire, we burnt CDs. I mean that's how we listened to music in our vehicles. We didn't listen on our phones. The eye the iPod had just had just kind of come around right around that time, but not a lot of people that. I mean, my buddy Blake had one. I was so jealous and he let me use it when I cut the grass, and he was such a great friend for doing that because I would just I'd be out there mowing the grass just vibbing out to like you know, and and now I do that every day in life, not cutting the grass. But like now, it's just something that I have and I know I always will have it as long as I have some. In fact, I don't even need technology or I don't even need the internet, like if I download an album on Spotify or whatever. I can be offline and still access it. So now it's just something that's there all the time. But whenever I used to cut the grass, I used to have to get a walkman out and put a CD in that thing and you know, find a pocket big enough to hold it while I'm you know, while I'm so to time.
Speaker 2: It was the time.
Speaker 3: It was special because I I don't mind cutting the grass if I can just go listen to music on my on my iPod. So anyways, the two songs that I feel and I'm sure I'm missing some because this was believed or not a long time ago. I mean, I'm I'm nineteen years removed from from high school.
Speaker 2: So next year will be our twenty year or twenty year reunion.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: But the song Fireman Bello Wayne, sure remember that one? Yeah, that song probably was played more than many songs in our I mean we listen to a lot of country too. There's this is just nostalgic, and I guess this will give you a reference, like if there's somebody that is a lot younger than me, if there's somebody that is a lot older than me. These you know, there are people listening that probably don't even know what Fireman Mellow Wayne is, but it was it. It's peak my senior year. Yeah, I feel sorry for those folks.
Speaker 2: And then also.
Speaker 3: The I just I was just getting ready to reference it. It might have been that it was it was the damn song. Yes you don't give it now, we don't give that's some young blood. Yeah, that was that one. Those were played NonStop and they still they still are great today. But country, do you remember that? You know, you work for WMZ, so you're familiar with the country world. But again, this is a little before your time, certainly before you became a country music guy. Do you know the name Chris Kagel.
Speaker 4: It's not bringing a bell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm again, this is kind of a tough thing, but I've been here before and I just need to get used to it. I want to crush you for not knowing who Chris Cagel is. OK, but it makes total sense that you don't because when he was really big, I was, you know, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen years old. Where at that point you were how old? Like you were really young? And yeah, probably it probably didn't listen to country, so he was really big in that and he kind of fell off for Roderis, I think he had some get some domestic violin stuff that kind of, you know, kind of canceled him, canceled him before we called it that. But he had his biggest song was one of his biggest song was Laredo I Breathe In, Breathe Out Again. We're talking about songs that came out in the early two thousands, well over twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: So what about Chicks Digget? You ever heard of that? What a beautiful day? Like he had a really good run.
Speaker 3: But the song that he had that I kind of feel like was his last big single that was played non stop because it was kind of, you know, it's corny, but it fit with us graduating high school at the time. It was called Walmart parking Lot. Still, I'm sure it's not a great song in the green scheme of things, but because of like, you know, the time it came out, it was kind of you know, like we didn't really do that, but we kind of did.
Speaker 2: Like we didn't go to Walmart, but what a whole lot to do where we grew up.
Speaker 3: So when we did have our license and you know, we didn't have a whole lot to do. We would just go sit in the parking lot and hang out and socialize. So anyways, there's a lot of layers to realizing how much time has passed and realizing that you're getting older, and it's right in front of me every day. I don't feel like an old man. But music is starting to become the thing where I'm like, wait a second, there's no way that was twenty five years ago, and you know, sure enough, twenty five years have passed and some of these songs used to be you know. And that's another part of the whole TikTok thing. Like a lot of the comments I go to it, and it's the people who comment, I'm like, these are my people because they're like, wait a second, they're calling this like an oldie what yes, it's like that, like, but it's all us collectively. Oh my gosh, we've turned into We've turned into the adults. Like we're the grown ups here.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Like we used to listen to that music thinking that old people would like not like it because they're old and uncool. Now that music is not cool to probably the younger generation and what they're listening to mumble stuff. We're probably thinking, what the hell is this?
Speaker 4: Right, That's how I start to timestamp when I'm talking to somebody and I'm trying to explain to them, Yeah, that was about the time that uh, Nelly and Tim McGraw did over and over again, or yeah that's when that's when this this movie came out back in the day, and that's that's that's what I used for time references.
Speaker 2: Anyone you remember that that was the thing Tim McGraw and Nelly.
Speaker 4: Of course I do like Sweet Sweat album, can album?
Speaker 2: Can we not acknowledge that that song was trash?
Speaker 4: I never listened like it.
Speaker 3: Just seemed like such a forced crossover that just didn't need to happen, Like both can be great exclusively. I don't think Tim McGraw and Nelly needed to make songs together. But look, Nelly, he's still riding some momentum because he you know, hadn't had a big hit on the radio in a long time.
Speaker 2: But you know what he's doing.
Speaker 3: He's doing music with like Florida Georgia line. He's still you know, getting booked for concerts because you know, he's Nelly. He had a great run.
Speaker 4: I love the Hot and Herd. Nelly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when Nelly.
Speaker 3: When Nelly dropped his his his first album, Country Grammar. I was in middle school then I was young. But that that that was that was such a big deal. Like he he was, I feel like on top of the world. And he said something that went viral not that long ago in one of these podcast interviews that all these guys do now to kind of keep their name out there, to still try to you know, make a good living being guys who you know, are still famous but certainly not super relevant in current music. He made a claim that everybody wanted to like say, he's crazy, but then when you think about it, it wasn't crazy. When Nelly debuted and he kind of came out of nowhere and he dropped his Country Grammar debut album and the Country Grammar single was the first was his first hit, and then that album was just insane. But that was in two thousand. So he made the claim that what he did in having a you know, a let's see what was he was platinum. I mean he had and that that album is honestly, and again maybe it's just my era, like that album's kind of legendary because of how many hits that you remember from it when it comes to you know, country grammar, Ride with Me Ei, I mean, I know a bunch of songs that didn't become batter Up. I know songs that didn't become a love and Me is a really good song that never became like a hit on the radio. But like, he had a great debut album that did really really well when it comes to numbers, and but nobody would ever put him up there with.
Speaker 2: Like the greats of hip hop and rap right.
Speaker 3: However, him being able to have that success given the competition at the time was insane. Meaning in two thousand, Eminem was humongous. Jay Z was always big, but he had kind of hit the mainstream at that time. I mean, there's there's others that that, you know, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but he broke it down, and I'm like, you know what, I would never throw him out there as like he's one of the best ever and collectively people agree. But he did do something that most never do, and he did it at a time where he was competing with guys that to this day are still legends. So shout out Nelly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he stayed relevant long enough, and he did, like you said, he did the Florida Georgia lying thing with Cruise and you remember it came on the scene I think even before that with the Saint Lunatics, right Histtle his little hip hop group from up and.
Speaker 3: Saying, I mean he put all those guys on Murphy Lee and they weren't great, but it was just because he had so much momentum, Like, hey, they wanted to keep tapping into you know what what what he was doing.
Speaker 4: He's like the Adam Sandler of music. He just got all his homies involved and they've been eating off him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is what he was competing with. I mentioned the obvious with Eminem and jay Z, but you also had Outcast really becoming. I mean they've they they've been they've been legends in that culture and of course in Atlanta for longer than just two thousand. But again we're talking about at the time they kind of became mainstream, and you know, looking at some other I feel like I'm blanking on one big name that was like, again, this guy is also not a legend. But when he had his run where he had the most momentum, bust rhymes.
Speaker 4: I mean that was and kind of keep forgetting about buster rhums, but like not that not yes, he's and.
Speaker 2: That's and here's another one again.
Speaker 3: This is somebody that's so easy to like laugh at now for understandable reason. But at the time you had Jaw Rule, who was in the when Joe Rule was big, he was huge, right, I mean he had a lot of hits. I mean this was at the time he was dropping, you know, put it on me, which of course is still it's funny to think about that being my wife and I saw when we were in middle school, not super relatable, not super relatable to twelve year olds and twelve year olds in Bullet County, but we felt like that they they were thinking about us as a couple when they put that song together. So anyways, let's talk TikTok. I think that's the reason I went down this path.
Speaker 2: Anyway. So what is this is X is a great platform. Love it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm gonna continue to be on X slash Twitter because it's a good resource for me. So I'm not like, you know, I'm not I mean, I am complaining, but it is absolutely the most untrustworthy resource to where like you have no clue if anything's actually real or not, and you need There's been so many examples of people getting god to where now it's just a common thing that like you're not like you'll believe it if it's from like Chefty or or somebody that's a legitimate source, but like you can doctor up an account, like, for example, here's an account that has five hundred and forty one point five thousand followers, over half a mill that's clearly a very popular account that has a ton of followers, and they've shared a piece of news that I feel like is believable. But again, maybe this is somebody that has this big following because they troll people. I don't know, so I'm sharing this without knowing if it's true or not. But it would make sense that Senator Ed Markey has proposed extending the TikTok us band deadline by two hundred and seventy days.
Speaker 2: Here's the quote.
Speaker 3: TikTok has its problems, but a TikTok band would impose consequences on millions of Americans who depend on the app for connections in their economic livelihood. We cannot allow that to happen makes total sense. But what I don't know is, like is that true? Like have they he proposed it? But did they? Because here's what I could see happening. And by the way, I could see him completely getting rid of it, because this is a real thing that they're trying to do, But I could see them kicking it down the road many times before they ultimately just pull the plug because they've given people a heads up. Like we've known for a while this app is we're in jeopardy of losing it because of the security, because security concerns.
Speaker 2: However, there are a lot of people that.
Speaker 3: Like in the blink of an eye, they lose their livelihood in every way. I would imagine most people who are big on TikTok they have a platform elsewhere.
Speaker 2: But if TikTok's were it started for.
Speaker 3: You, I'm sure it's a huge issue if you just have to automatically ship people to Instagram or x And I feel like, just from an outsider's perspective, I don't do this, but I feel like people using their TikTok following to then post products and promote them and have people click on them to buy. Yeah, that's clearly working, because that's a huge part of what TikTok is. I've purchased things from that, from the TikTok show, yes, because like I'm thinking, you know what, damn, that is a very affordable thing that I didn't even know existed that I could really use. So like, there are people that either are selling their own stuff there and making a great living utilizing the resource that is social media and TikTok, but there's also folks that are that have become you know, they get a percentage. So like, if I've got and I did see, I was interested in it, not that I would ever do it because I wouldn't be able to. I don't have a big following on TikTok, and I'm not sure what kind of products I could be pipping out that people to buy.
Speaker 2: But there are people who have.
Speaker 3: Like companies that have twenty of a certain product. They say, hey, here, I got twenty of them that I'm going to let you sell, and you get a twenty five percent commission on everyone you sell. If you've got a big following and the product is something that is in your niche and the people who follow you follow you for that, it probably won't take you long at all to sell twenty of those, and I would imagine, depending on the product, that's a good way for you to make a living. So even though they've been warned and it's been a known thing, just pulling the plug it will impact them. So I could see them doing it, But again I could also could also, you know, see them continuing to try to figure out some plan because what they want is for TikTok to sell and at that point then they could keep it active in the US. But TikTok is so big everywhere that they're willing to say, yeah, you know, we'll we clearly would benefit and would like to be available to folks in the United States, but well we'll live without you rather than just selling something that we think is huge. So I mean, have you heard anything about the latest on it?
Speaker 4: No. I just keep seeing all the memes or everyone's saying goodbye to their spy up until Sunday. And me personally, I love TikTok too. TikTok is ten times better than what Vine was, and I loved Vine back then. Yeah, I mean, I think what rid of TikTok is getting rid of my it's my entertainment.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there are certain things that like make me. I would have never envisioned some of the things I see, but I laugh uncontrollably sometimes with just silly humor on there. And now when I go to the comments of those videos Austin, a lot of them are people saying, can you.
Speaker 2: Believe they're taking this away from us?
Speaker 3: Can you believe they're robbing us of this harmless joy that we get out of people being funny on the internet.
Speaker 2: Sad, sad, sad.
Speaker 4: So the comment section is probably one of the best.
Speaker 3: You said it with everyone, you said it, brother, the funniest, The funniest thing out there right now anywhere is comment sections of some of these tiktoks.
Speaker 2: I love it. Quick break, We'll come back and wrap it up.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 3: So, according to ABC News, this happened actually today. The Supreme Court passed up a chance to intervene on behalf of TikTok today when a batch of new rulings did not include a verdict in the case challenging an intimate ban of the app. So Sunday's the day and unless TikTok severs ties with their based company that owns them, which is looks like it's called byte dance. Unless they sever ties than the plan is for it to be in effect on Sunday, So one hundred and seventy million TikTok users in the United States will lose access to the app.
Speaker 2: It'll be on your.
Speaker 3: Phone, but like it won't work, it won't do anything, which it sounds like that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: But you're tease here tech.
Speaker 3: This is I guess the scenario where they could they this this you know, we could eventually have we could have TikTok still the Supreme Court delays it, which that doesn't sound like it's gonna happen. TikTok could sell, doesn't something like that's gonna happen. The Trump administration could decline to enforce the band. I'd say that's probably our best bet. And then there's also Congress repealing the band. So doesn't look good. And I've kind of i've kind of, you know, just accepted that, like this is going away and it's a bummer and I'll miss it. But there seems to be a whole lot of people out there that are either in denial or maybe they know more than I know, because I think there's some that just truly believe there's no way they just get rid of it. Well, I think they're going to. This is a very serious thing that they're trying to, you know, get used to Instagram reels, buddy. Yeah, I don't like it, but I guess that's where we'll go to scroll through and see funny stuff. All right, quick break, actually no long break, twenty one hour break.
Speaker 2: We're out of time.
Speaker 3: You guys, Enjoy your evening.