Speaker 1: The Team House with your hosts Jack Murphy and David bark.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Guys, welcome to episode one hundred and sixty five of The Team House. We're here tonight with Nicholas Moore. He is the author of Run to the Sound of Guns. He served in second Ranger Battalion from the ranks of private to platoon sergeant over one thousand missions and thirteen combat deployments, where he was wounded. He was involved in some very significant operations, from Jessica Lynch to Extortion one seven, to Operation Red Wings the Recovery, to numerous other things that we'll get into tonight. So, Nicholas, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: Oh, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Absolutely dude, really appreciate you taking some of your Friday to speak with us.
Speaker 4: Oh, no worries.
Speaker 3: So let's start off, man, start, We'll start start at the beginning, the beginning of the story. If you could tell us a little bit about, uh, sort of where you grew up and why you.
Speaker 5: Ended up in the military and why and Ranger Battalion.
Speaker 4: So I grew up in Newton, Kansas and you know, just trying to figure out, you know, what to do, and I thought, you know, college sucks. But if I joined the Army and I want to go to school, and you know, I serve that I can don't have to take a student loan and I can go and it's all good. And you know, some of us do it and end up going to school, and some of us don't and we just end up staying in the military. But the whole thing was, you know, I had a recruiter, you know that just based on the lifestyle that we had, you know, playing sports and being active and out outdoor activities, hunting fish and all that stuff. He goes, Man, you guys love the Army, but you'll never be happy if you don't pursue the Ranger Regiment. And so you know that was kind of well what's that? And you know, so you do a little bit of research and you're like, okay, well that's definitely what I want to do.
Speaker 2: And so you know, you.
Speaker 4: Go and do it. And you know this the old mantra that goes with it. You know, as you continue to be in the Ranger Regiment, what have you done for the rage of Regiment today? So you know, there's always that little aspect, you know, as your career progresses through you know, it's always trying to better you know, against the organization as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you do was any of your family in the military. Was it something that you had been exposed to earlier than that, or like or is it just kind of it seemed pragmatic at the time.
Speaker 4: No, my grandfather's both both my grandfathers served in World War Two, and then you know, we've had, you know, family members in the military, but mostly it's always been in the Navy, and I had an aunt who served in the Air Force back in the late seventies, I think, and you know, but nobody really in the army except for my grandfather's brothers. You know, they were in the Army in World War Two. But you know, we're basically a Navy family. And then me and my brother decided we were both going to join the army and be rangers, and you know, so it was fun. Uh, you know at that part of it. My grandpa didn't talk to me for like three weeks because he was mad we didn't join the Navy.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you and your brother, did you like have the same like entry date into the Army?
Speaker 5: I mean, was it that close?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're we're identical twins. So we were at school and went through uh, basic training, everyone school, RIP, and then got stationed together. So we did it all together all the way until I think four five, and then he went down to his wife, got restationed to Martin Army at Fort Benning and so he went down to be a RIP instructor and and that's kind of where our careers split apart. I stayed at second and then he moved down to third for a while and then you know, when it is some time in the big Army and finished his career as an ROTC instructor at the University of Kansas.
Speaker 3: So what at that time, just to hit it up a little bit, going through basic training airborne school, what was the RIP experience like? But that was nineteen ninety nine, pre pre nine to eleven, before the war kicked off. What was it like going through RIP during that timeframe?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, it's a I don't know if it's better or worse because I think about it and it's like, God, would I want to sit and do that for eight weeks? You know? It was Yeah, the whole RASK thing, It's like wow, No, but it was I had I had a lot of fun. There was really a lot of my ranger experiences that I didn't like. You know, some of them good, some of them bad. But they're all memories and you know, just just kind of fun. You know. It's always that that mental challenge through some of the things, you know, can I make it to the end? And you know when you do, you're you're a better human for it, and you're a better ranger all the way around. And you have, you know, a starting point to learn what suck is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you get out of RIP and you go to the best company in the best battalion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, BC two seven five right.
Speaker 4: Yep, BKO two something went to first platoon. My brother went to third, and so that was always fun. I mean it was always, you know, all the way up until we both got our tabs. You know, it was just you know, who's got the better twin And they were always you know, putting us, pitting us against each other, and so it's you know, it's nothing changed from school or you know, sports, and so it's just you know.
Speaker 3: So two seven five is something something different between two seven five and three seven five, And I believe one seven five is you guys all have platoon names and through.
Speaker 4: Something every platoon.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and three seven five. I think my platoon was the only one that had a name. But I'd like to hear what your platoon name was and how it got that name.
Speaker 4: Well, One Bravo it was. Eventually it became the Sea Bass and it was just, uh, you know, it was at the same right they tagged it right at you know, the Afghanistan was just cranking off and Austin Powers had just come out, and it was, you know, our pl was calling us a bunch of mutant Sea Bass, and so it just kind of stuck. And so that was that, and then you know, I was in One Bravo till I till in the middle of three, and then it went over to three Charlie, and uh stayed there till eight.
Speaker 1: So you you actually were in ranger school during nine to eleven, right, Yeah, so how did that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's on one of those things, you know sometimes you you're like, now, this can't really be happening, and we just thought it was some kind of weird, you know, false motivational thing that.
Speaker 4: Our eyes were doing. We weren't you know, nobody was really sure if it was something that everybody was you know, accustomed to in every class that you know, oh, you got to hurry up because you know, the army, the country's throwing the war and all this stuff. But what kind of struck at home was you know, when they came out and they asked people if they had family that worked as world trade centers, and you know, you kind of get the weird look like why are you asking that? And then you know, forty five minutes or so later, you know, a does anybody have parents that work a Pentagon? And you know, everybody's like, why would I raise my hand out? Want to get singled out for something? And you know then they're kind of like, hey, no, this is you know, serious, and they realized that we weren't believing them, and so they kind of called a couple of guys to go forward and just kind of see the news feed on the on a TV and for about five minutes and then kind of came back and say, hey, they're not lying, it's this is real. And so we have one guy who raised his hand and say, yeah, my dad works at the Pentagon, and you know, they said, well you need to call him. And so that really messed with him. It was a kid out of three some five and luckily his dad was out of the office. I think he was at Fort Lee, Virginia that day, Bud. He you know, when he came back to work on the twelfth, he didn't have an office. Holy shit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then how much so how far into ranger school were you and how much longer did you have to go?
Speaker 2: And how did that affect Ranger School?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you we're basically day.
Speaker 2: Two, okay, oh wow wow.
Speaker 4: So you know, we've just done the pet test in that morning, we just finished the five mile run and so it it was it was interesting because you always hear the stories of guys, you know, you got to get you know, seventy percent of your patrols you gotta pass. Well, I mean, at that point they were you know, the ris knew the writing on the wall. And then so the whole point was to get the guys back to the units as fast as possible. So you pass one patrol and you never got another one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you know, and then it it became guys that failed patrols.
Speaker 4: You know, it was putting the right guys in positions to help them get the next patrol to pass so that they could go on to the next phace, so that guys aren't stuck, you know, playing the how many months can I be in Ranger school games and graduate and then get back to your units because we got to go do.
Speaker 2: Business, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you have any of those guys in when you were when you were doing a jack where they just assigned like for four bat guys to them and just say, he's going to pass this patrol, so you basically don't let him make any decisions.
Speaker 3: I probably was that guy going through his life as an E two had been in battalion for like two months.
Speaker 5: I think I was that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, but where where they basically give you the reins and say get this guy through this patrol?
Speaker 4: Right? You know it's not the pick on people, but it's usually the young lieutenants that they're just still trying to get their feet underneath them as you know what it's like to be a leader, and and you know we've got you know, guys from the Ranger regimen been there twelve eighteen months. You know some guys that got hurt, you know, maybe twenty four months of experience, and they kind of understand the game, so you know, let's just turn them loose.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so you were you were in ranger school when the first actions, when when Afghanstian kicked off, right like they Yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Were, Yeah, we were just finishing up mountains when when everything kicked off and we were getting graded patrols and who was going to go to Florida And it just happened to be the night that three seventy five jumped on Rhino and the Riyes wheeled the TV cart out and say, hey, check this out, and all the guys from three seventy five are crying, and then guys from first and second are laughing, and the guys from third are like why you you know why you laugh and it's not funny. We're not a part of this. And it's like, well, guess what, Ourpatalians haven't gone yet. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you worried that that it was going to be like another war, Yeah, it was going to be like Desert Storm.
Speaker 2: It was going to be over before you are out of ranger School.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot of us that were, you know, it's going to be the traditional like Grenade of Panama Desert Storm, where it's going to be over as fast as it started, and uh, you know you're going to miss it all. And but you know, when you when you start thinking about the amount of time that it was going to take to put everything over there, you know, and get it in place, it was just a matter of you know, when when's it going to be our turn and is there going to be anything left because the regiment's going to rotate everybody through at least once.
Speaker 1: And right, right, So you graduate ranger school and how how was your reception when you got back to second bat What was going on at the time.
Speaker 4: Oh, everybody to have just gotten back from the Yakama, So it's kind of the I got back like twenty four hours before the battalion rolled back in from doing you know, all the big fun stuff over in Yakama, and you know, it was just kind of figuring out, you know, how the rotation was going to work, because you know, one seven five was just gearing up to go, and so we were trying to figure out what our training schedule was going to be and what was going to look like and then when was our window going to come to to go and was there still going to be anything to do? When we got there. Yeah, you know, and then twenty years later it's still going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So what when did you get the word that you guys were heading over and like what what was it like jocking up for that deployment, getting ready to go out the door?
Speaker 4: We got kind of got the word that we were still going to get to go as probably uh in late November December. You know, one seven five is going to go, and then it's gonna be our turn to go, and you know it might be the only deployment that we get in Afghanistan, but you know, it's as it stands right now. You know, we saw to go do rudder wing Bilats and and all the training that you know was normally you know, gearing up for for all that stuff, and so you know we did and then uh Vico Bco led the push for Second Italian because at that time it was uh, basically you know, there was only the need for like basically one company. We were still sitting you know, split between Canaharn Vogram and that was about it. And then you know, everybody realized that this was gonna be the long fight, and so then we started uh kind of pushing out and doing the expansion for the American footprint and setting up bases and and all that stuff, and that's kind of what we ended up doing our first deployment. And then after we'd been there for oh, I don't know, maybe a month or so, they rolled in with the rest of the battalions. So AKO and SICCO came in and kind of helped expand the footprint and all the fun What was you know, like post taku Gar, post taku Gar and you know, Operations Anaconda. There really was nothing going on in Afghanistan. You know, it was basically you know, when you look at what was going on, you know, you hear about one seventy five and Roberts Ridge and then three seven fives jumping on Rhino and doing all that stuff. You know, we're going over there thinking, you know, it's gonna be game on. It's spring summer, and everybody's gonna be fighting. And that was, you know, complete opposite.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Let's they were just as much as we were trying to feel out, you know, what was going on with the Talban. You know, they're kind of sitting back on the border and just watching, you know, how we're doing business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that first deployment was like pretty relatively quiet at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we did one There was one operation and where you know, they got it. The platoon got in a gunfight. I was on a fifth kel, so I didn't get to be you know, on the ground for that one. But it was one engagement, last five seconds and that was it. Yeah, that's the deployment was just setting up bases and driving around Afghanistan and homebies.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you mentioned I forgot you mentioned in your book that you actually had a guide, a tourist guide, and a ranger who had been a Russian in Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a kid in the well, not a kid, but you know, there was a guy in theirpleteen and that it was I believe he was Ukrainian, but you know, it was part of the Soviet block at the time. And he was like eighteen nineteen and got conscripted into the Red Army, and you know, he spent a year in Afghanistan in like eighty eight, eighty nine when they were shutting it down. But it was really cool because you know, at the time, you know, he could tell you what everything was on Bogger and you know, all the remnants of what was left. So that was I mean for a history lesson, that was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's pretty surreal.
Speaker 1: So so that was sort of your your first trip. It was just you know, setting the footprint. There wasn't a lot of activity. What happened then after that you went back and reset and what was your kind of time between the deployments looking like at this point?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, so we we went back to reset and that was kind of when everybody was thinking that, you know, this is basically a wrap up and you know, we're we're not going to be involved in this anymore. But you know, all the Italian's got at least one deployment and you know three seven five came back over and ripped us. And you know, so when it came time, you know, throughout the year that it was we were going to at least go one more time, it was you know, Iraq was ramping up, and so it was like, okay, well who's going to go to Afghanistan? And so Charlie Cookmanty got picked to go to Afghanistan. And the whole preface was for them to go was to shut down the special ops. You know, flipprint over there, and then kind of if things did crank off in Iraq, then they were going to join us over in Iraq. And you know, they ended up staying for six months. You know, they did their three month deployment plus the Iraq and you know and stuff, so they got stuck in Afghanistan for six months. So let's just say Manning retention to Charlie Company was terrible after everybody got home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So then you guys were working up toward towards the invasion of Iraq, right, which was that that was in March of two thousand and three. So were you guys part of that initial invasion or did you get through shortly after it?
Speaker 4: We? Uh, the battalion was infilling, you know, shortly before everything cranked off. But we didn't actually put wheels down, you know, over there until the night that it officially cranked off, because we got I had a bird we are bird broke in Germany?
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 4: What? You know? It's always kind of one of those those fun things, are you know, uh, riding in on the C seventeen, you got your gas masks strapped to your hip and you're wearing your mop suit.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So can you tell us a little bit about what a mop suit is for the people who might not be familiar with it.
Speaker 4: It's a chemical suit that you have to wear and you know, it's a charcoal line suit and it's for gas and biological weapons and stuff. It's gonna help keep it off your skin. And they're terrible to wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They they're like hot in the They're hot in the daylight and cold at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they trap.
Speaker 1: They're basically like sweats, like the plastic suits that you used to wear for wrestling or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like they're not comfortable at all.
Speaker 4: Uh no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you guys, because your bird got hung up in Germany when you landed for the invasion, did you guys go to Saudi or did you go did you go someplace elf Sport?
Speaker 4: Since you was we landed in Saudi?
Speaker 8: Okay, Yeah, so you know, every everywhere where the special office footprint was during desert storm was the same place that we went to, and you know, basically basically unloaded and then just got everything set and I think within a couple of days we were running cross border offs out in the West.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then what was that like for you, Like moving into you know, from Saudi into Iraq and what kind of vehicles were you guys in and what were they?
Speaker 4: Just you know, we're running the light the soft skinned you know, humby gun trucks. We'd skin the roofs off and taken the windows out, which was stupid because we caught one of the sandstorms right after it happened, and I know Therple team got caught out in it in the trucks and the windshields and they're trying to hold m R boxes up over their face to keep rocks from blowing in, and you know, nobody could see anything. So they're stuck sitting out there in it anduntil the sun comes up and then they can at least try and attempt to get back. And so it was interesting. You know, we had five fifty cord from all the tents to the latrines and to the chow hall, so the guys could follow the string and and you know walk around in the brown out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, those sandstorms were something else out there.
Speaker 1: And then, uh so how long was your trip to Iraq and like where was did anything particularly notable happen during during your tour there?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 4: Not at the first part of it, you know, until everything came down for for us to do the Jessica Lynch rescue. And we've just rolled in off like a twenty four hour off to go tie in with three seven five and help them come back from H one when they where they jumped in and then bring their vehicle convoys back. So we drove out tying with them and then brought this like five mile long convoy back across the border. And then you rolling in dog tired, and the commander comes out of his tent and he's like, hey, pack your stuff. We're leaving in three hours and we're gonna go do this. And I was like, oh, that's funny.
Speaker 9: And seriously, folks, yeah, I was stupid eat for what do I know that the commander is not just you know, not being a jerk and trying to get guys to have some kind of false motivation because you know, you know, get in dog tired and throw down on the cot and start cleaning your rifle and Squeadlier comes back in he's like, no, pack your stuff because we're.
Speaker 4: Out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And were you guys aware of Jessica Lynch, of that whole situation at the time or was the mission.
Speaker 4: No, I mean no, we hadn't really gotten any I mean we kind of got like a little brief of it. But the kind of the the shit, you know, kind of the the awe of the whole thing was like, how in the heck does a maintenance company get ahead of the front line?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like the.
Speaker 4: Unfathomable, you know, how does this happen? It's you know, we start kind of spitballing this whole thing, and you start, you know, talking to some of the maintenance units that are out there, and they just you know, at the time, they weren't equipped with night vision at the time. They're still driving you know, blackout lights and the way that you know that everybody has since World War Two. It's just slow moving and trying to navigate. And you know, only the combat arms units have night vision because that's the priority, right, So you know, it was just kind of like how does this even happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so what was what was the mission?
Speaker 1: As it was brief to you guys, what was your role and what was your overall effort?
Speaker 4: We were gonna set in as far as Bravo Companies part of it, we were gonna infill on Marine Corps forty six is on the west side of nazarea kind of in this flat looked like a kind of a trash pit area on the west side of town. And then we were just gonna run in a few blocks off the desert and established blocking positions around the hospital while one five a company from one seven to five was gonna skirt all the way around on the east and then come in from the north and then bringing the you know, the big guns on the trucks and just basically you know, lock it all down until we had gotten her out and gotten confirmation and recovery of everybody else that was off those trucks. And uh, I was we were only on the ground for like three and a half hours and it was all done. Yeah, I mean by the time the seals came in on the hospital and did the whole uh you know, recovery of her, we had just basically put the blocking positions on the ground. We hadn't even gotten the established yet. As far as how fast that that whole thing happened, it was a matter of just moments. Yeah, And because no, but it was fun, you know, it was fun to be a part of it. And you know, I guess we were saying earlier this is you know, there's all these things. It's just another day at the office until you get later in life and then you start talking to people about it and then it's like wow, uh, you know, it's kind of a historic, you know, event that we've got to be a part of, you know, the first successful pow rescue and over forty years. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then what happened in terms of recovering the bodies were you were you guys part of that?
Speaker 4: Uh No? That was Once in five? Would you know they're guys on the trucks that they recovered them and then they ground X filled them out on their on the humbies and so we just stab, you know, maintained blocking positions and stuff until you know that they were done and they had X filled the trucks and then we pushed out for uh xfil on the forty six's and you know, got back on the on the air base there in nazarea, and you know, high fives and handshakes and it was all good and you know, go find your friends and Once in five and see how the everything went on their aspect of it when they rolled back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how I mean, I can't imagine.
Speaker 10: That that that that was well, of course it wasn't pleasant, but it was it was pretty harrowing for them because those those bodies were in show shallow graves, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was you know, they they said it wasn't it It wasn't pretty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, And I could only imagine you know, yeah, you know, later seeing some of the things that I've seen, you know, later on it's just, you know, it's not fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So was there anything else that happened, Uh during that trip to Iraq?
Speaker 4: That was we did you know, Operation Reindeer, which was then you know, the true you know, the true rangeer mission, smash everything, kill everyone, you know, destroy it all and then you know, come out high five and in handshaken. At the end. We had our first wounded an action on that on that deployment team leader from second second Squad Uh got hit with an RPG and and lost his lower left leg. So, you know, other than that, it was it was a you know, it was a it was a great traditional you know, typical ranger training op. You know, do you remember everything?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but do you remember any many of the details of Operation Reindeer in terms of like who you were after and sort of what how it was going to go down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what what it came came down to was that there was a second collection that had you know, large sized force was kind of out training in the in the desert kind of northwest Afghani or Iraq, and it was just basically, you know, it was like eighty to one hundred and twenty is what Intel was was putting on that it was. And you know, you could tell they were holding formations and they were doing training and things like that, and so it was you know, who could hit this first? And you know at this is at the big command level and this is you know, what's been filtered down through the company commander at the time was that it was in the hundred first sale or area of operation and they were going to take like a week to plant it out. And that what didn't make you know, the powers that be happy, and so it kind of came to the special opsite and you know, we just said, well we can hit it tomorrow and so we you know, just work through our normal off cycle and planned it out, rehearsed it, and you know it basically other than Matt getting hurt. You know, it worked, you know, the same way it doesn't training, but even to that part, you know, we trained, you know casually play and all that stuff. So it just sucked that, you know, it actually happened.
Speaker 5: So I mean, that was a pretty sizable force on that target.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was the I don't the exact count. I don't remember exactly the number, but you know it was over eighty. So first and second came in on helos, and third had launched basically about ten hours before the half. The helo package launched, and they drove up on trucks. They were going to do the backside blocking and set up the fark for the little birds and all the stuff, and so then they you know, after we x filled the half, then they stayed and kind of did the BDA, the battle damage assessment afterwards. It gave a rough count and you know, handed the objective over to the hundred first when they came into take control of it, and so it was kind of interesting when they came back, you know, kind of get the picture of, you know, what it looked like in the daylight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, uh so after that then it was back home.
Speaker 2: You become a team leader or.
Speaker 4: Were you move over to Charlie Company and took took a fire team over to Charlie Company. And then we did the Winter Surgeon three to Afghanistan. Were walking around in the mountains for six weeks. We always call it Mount Fay's Research for.
Speaker 2: Those of us that are there, And can you tell us about that?
Speaker 1: What was uh? Was it similar to your first apployment to Afghanistan or was it completely different?
Speaker 4: It was different because we were up in the Conar and in the Petch River valley.
Speaker 5: This is the big surge, Wesley Morgan writes about, isn't that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I believe so, yeah, yeah, So we were, you know, kind of expanding the footprint and just kind of getting into the mountains to kind of chase down some of the rat lines that people were, you know, Taliban fighters were using to come in and just kind of deny the access through the mountains in the winter and show that everybody that hey, we're not afraid to come up here and we're not afraid to hang out for weeks on end and and and do our thing, which was it was fun. I mean, you know, like I wrote in my books, you know, so a lot of the people, you know, in villages at like ten thousand feet, you know, they're still thinking that the Russians are in there. Yeah, and so you know, just to see the disconnect in that country at you know, at that you know, at that primitive point, was like, uh no, they haven't been here for like ten winters. Now at least.
Speaker 3: What was it like operating at that altitude and such like, I mean, that's some of the most difficult terrain in the world.
Speaker 4: It was definitely taxing, if you will. Some of the guys, you know, they've never been at altitude like that. Some of the guys you know out of Florida and Geordia and you know, never you know, being on the Mount Yona and Ranger Schools probably some of the highest elevation that they've ever been on. And so you get guys up there, you know, ten thousand feet or above, and guys are coming with altitude sickness and they're just not being able to adjust as easily as some And you know, Manning is still low and Charlie Company at the time because it's just coming off the Iraq thing. Guys are like, now I'm out of here. We got hosed over and so we're we're in there with five man squads, so we're still carrying all the gear for nine and so, you know, the only nice thing is we went in with no body armor. We were just carrying chess racks and rocks sacks. But the rock secks were still weighing in about eighty eighty to ninety pounds, depending on you know what is in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that land will break you too. That's not easy terrain to move over.
Speaker 4: No, you know, there we did. We did hire on some pack mules, which is kind of interesting for a while, and that was a lot of it was just to go to the resupply points to be able to bring bring back the supplies that we needed instead of doing the Ranger School ruck dump and then walking down and loading up and then carrying it all back up. It's like, well, let's just hire some people with mules and we'll pack mule this stuff up there and all we have to do is just walk.
Speaker 1: So did you guys just hire like the mules or did you actually have people because you have to know what you're doing with the mule, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, we we hired the locals at the time, and it's like, hey, you know, here's however much in you know Pakistani ruppes that makes them happy, Like they're justified to waste a day, you know, renting their mules to us and walking them up the mountain. Yeah, and then bringing the cases of m R E s and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And uh, one of the stories, Oh, I was just gonna say one of the stories you told during that time, because you you guys were on the h VT, the High Value Target, the Time Sunset Target, and uh, can you tell us about when you went out with the Seal team.
Speaker 4: Oh, so we had just coming out of the out of the pest. We've been in there for three weeks and it was like supposed to have like a seventy two hour rest and refit back of the block room. So we all get back, you know, off the off the birds, and you know it's kind of standing around in line for showers, and this HBT comes down and they said, hey, the team's gonna Seal Team is going to go out and hit this and we've got to go out and do blocking positions, So get it all back on and and load up. And so you know, I didn't get a shower and uh so we roll in there and we hit this this draw off the uh off the conar and uh, you know, seals are hit the wrong side of the valley because intel's just not very good in Afghanistan at this point. It's just you know, it's human so it's there's a huge margin of error in it. And they didn't want to walk across the valley and go up, so they just called a helo to come pick them up from one side and carry him to the other because they didn't want to walk it. Yea in a nutshell, I guess that's the nice way to put it short.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So was there anything else on that? And for those of you who don't know, I'm not really drinking them on, Madge, I had surgery, so if I'm a little like faded, but uh it was Was there anything else on that on that particular trip that because you mentioned that that was up to that point like sort one of the best sort of all around sort of I guess military experiences you had, just in terms of the type of job you guys were doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it was kind of the for those of us later on that you know that were that were still in uh, in the regiment or the battalion. You know that that kind of became the baseline for the word suck. It was like everything else if it did, you'll meet that threshold of just pain and misery. It it wasn't that bad, right, because that was that was just brutal. I mean, you know, got knees and ankles, and you know, guys are quitting and it's like, oh, well, awesome, you can quit all you want. You ain't coming off the mountain. They're not sending a helicopter for you.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, where are you gonna go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're a private They're not gonna send a helicopter come get you. Great, awesome, we'll deal with you know, you quitting later.
Speaker 1: And those are also the type of operations that you hold over the new guys had when they weren't on it.
Speaker 2: You like, you know, they start play, You're like, ah, you weren't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then you made yourself feel like a dinosaur later.
Speaker 1: On, right, Right, So then so you guys are on this hop in schedule because that was in two thousand, like late two thousand and three, and then the spring you're right back in Iraq again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did the winters. The end of three, we were back in Afghanistan and then we were kind of doing the Spring Surge as we refer to it, in four and it was just a short, little forty five day to kind of reinforce the Special Ops footprint so we could move some units around, you know, shift guys and not have a loss in combat abilities. Yeah. So so that was that was definitely interesting because that was like the the introduction, if you will, to IEDs. You know, at that point, you know, it was starting to get armored vehicles and it's like, why are we driving around with this? You know, what's the what's the big deal? You know, they're like popcan size explosives and you know, like within a year, you know, we're they're planting you know, two thousand pounds of hme E under the roadbeds and blowing tanks apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well and not just that, but you talk about your story with the tanks, the Abrams tanks, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had that trip. We were going from by app from the airport into town into the green zone to link up to do an op and you know we're running blacked out and you know, we got the city lights shining in our face, so you can't really see anything other than about twenty yards in front of you, but you know, the highways along straight run and so you know, put it down and just go. And there was a tank that had been sitting in the median and they traversed the cannon to look at something with thermal off the cannon and they brought the barrel across that a zero plane and it was right at the same time. But we came in with the truck and almost killed the gunner out of my truck. You know, he was in a medically induced coma for about forty five days and his face was broken in about thirteen places, turning mark nineteen on the front on the lead truck into Basically the receiver was a banana and the barrel broke in three places. The strike plate we never found, and you know, it basically almost totaled the truck. It took us two days to get the turp, you know, reconfigured with stripped parts off other vehicles and put it back together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's, it's and it's weird sometimes too in combat. How it does you know in a war zone? How how it's some of the most random events that right, you know, you know, blue on blue isn't always just friendly fire. Sometimes it's just these incredibly random events like that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And it was just one of those things. They didn't see us because they were busy looking at something and we couldn't see them with the lights and just the you know, the the we're all running, you know, the monocular PVS fourteen's, and you know, it's like, well, hey, we're good, we're on this. We own this section of highway between town and the airport and there's nothing going on out here ever, and so you know, we don't really need to, you know, watch out for for other forces. But you know, there's a tank sitting in the media and right right it happened to be the you know, I've just had chosen to drive in the left lane as the lead truck, you know, and we hit it didn't damage the tank, I mean, we scratched the paint a little bit, but the damage to the barrel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that was a fairly on eventful trip for you guys, right.
Speaker 4: Uh, Yeah, that one, that one was. Yeah, as as far as any any operations that saw you know, any contact in it. You know, there there wasn't really a lot going on at that point.
Speaker 2: Uh. And then your next trip was Mosul.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, no, Afghanistan. We went to Afghanistan. That's five. That was Marcus la Trail.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, sorry about that, so can you yeah, so can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 4: Uh, Marcus the Treill you know, it's Afghanistan. Targeting was you know, still in its infancy. Is still a lot of human based at that point in time in Afghanistan, so they're really wasn't a great targeting platform to go on. As you know, we looked for you know, legacy targets and plant out some of that stuff. And as far as what the rangers were doing a lot of it. We were just on ts TS time Sensitive Target for one platoon and then the other was on CSAR Combat Search and Rescue was a STEO basic standard Ranger tasking at that point in time, and we had just rotated off of the CSAR tasking onto the Time Sensitive Target tasking. So we had just finished all the stand ups for you know, running through timelines and checks on all that stuff, and got the word that you know, uh, Marcus Traill's team was was going to go out and do this Operation Red Wings. And you know, as rangers always do you know, we get enough information to have a conversation about it at chow hall table, and so we started talking with some of the Rekie guys and you know there, you know, they're briefing us because they've been following this a lot closer than like a rifle balteon has that wasn't kind of in our uh in our wheelhouse as far as targets we were looking at, but stuff that Reki had been looking at in areas to do to do some of their stuff, and they were like, wedn't do it this way, not four guys, No, we'd take a whole recon section, you know, twelve guys and then but we wouldn't do it without a rifle teon and support, you know, even if it was a you know, five k standoff between the two, because they can fight to us and we can fight to them, and it's a bigger footprint on the ground. Yeah, do we run the risk of spoiling the target, yes, But you know, on the other side of it, you know, we as rangers, you know, we're always going to bring everything in the kitchen sink to bear on an objective to turn the you know, the odds in our favor. And you know, did they do anything wrong in the way they did it? No, they made judgment calls along the way. And you know we can armchair quarterback this right. You know, here's years later and say, well I wouldn't have done that, and I wouldn't have done this, but you know, they did what they do and right, so you know that led us into you know, you know, then losing calms and them getting in the fight and you know, as the as the movie portrays it out, and you know, and then we got to go in and do the combat search and rescue on the Turbine three three crash site and then figure out what the question mark.
Speaker 3: Is what was going on on your base with your platoon? I mean, are you getting worried that this team is compromised? There are guys who are m I A, we might have to go look for them. Then you find out a bird went down? I mean, can you take us through a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: So so that morning, so June twenty eight, that morning, you know, we we got up and we just did what rangers do you know, We got up to pt went ate breakfast. Going on with our training cycle, we were going to go out to East River Range, which is just outside of Bograam, the little town of Bogram. So we left the base, got outside there. We're gonna go do some shooting drills and just you know, have a good session on the range and we get out and start throwing the target stands off the trucks and that's about the time that you know, we we find out that the bird's been shot down, and you know, it was hey, don't don't worry about what you've thrown off the trucks, get back on the trucks. You know, we got to get back and there was a lot of guys who are like, what are we doing? And you know, we didn't have any of the answers at the leadership level of what was going on. We just knew that, you know, we had to be back for something that was gonna gonna get breathed, you know, to us. And as the situation was developing, and and so then as we were rolling back in, you know, we find out that the aircraft has been shot down, that team's in the fight, and you know, we're just stand by at that point. So I wouldn't really kind of understand the whole situation for you know, probably another six years as I progressed through through leadership. But you know, as I tell people, it's, you know, it's as a young guy, you know, it's not that we're not going to get in there and we're not going to be a part of this and we're not gonna but we're going to turn the tables so that way when we do recommit forces into this area, we've got so many assets to bear on the objective that nobody would be in their right mind to want to play. So, you know, it was probably you know, about ten hours or so after the initial shootdown that you know, that night as we're getting ready to launch and you'll finally got the green light that we're going to go, and we load up everybody that's going to fit on the aircraft at altitude and launch and then we hit the mountain weather on that night and have to divert infill and go sit at jawl about for a day and then wait to get infilled the next night.
Speaker 1: What what was your understanding at that time of the situation on the ground.
Speaker 4: So the understanding was that the forty seven had been shot down. There was no movement on that, you know. Is SR feeds were terrible at the time. I you know, I don't even understand how people could understand, you know, what they're seeing on that screen. It was such a bad quality feed even then, you know. And so we knew that the aircraft has been shot down. We're going in to do combat search and rescue on the crash. You know, Murphy's team was still a question mark as to what's going on because there had been no radio comes with them since Murphy's SAP phone call. So the priority tasking was to recover the crash because we knew where it was, and then after that it would just be to figure it out, if you will.
Speaker 3: So we we we interviewed Tony Brooks on the show before.
Speaker 5: Was he in your platoon?
Speaker 4: Tony was in one, Charlie, so he was the other half of the element that went up. So it was, uh, theurplatoon led the way because we weren't on the CSAR, so we didn't have all the recovery and crash axes and all this stuff to do that. So we we kind of plowed the way, if you will, and we were there to kind of take the brunt of any contact that was going to be made, because we were just there to add security to to what they were going to come in and do. As far as recovery, that was you know, one Charlie's tasking at the time. So that was that was where Tony was and.
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's cool to get like some different perspectives on it. So then what was your platoon you know, I mean you just explained what your platoon's role was, but then walk us through infil and getting on the ground.
Speaker 4: So infil we infilled somewhere about probably about eight thousand feet and you know, it was what we could get to with the package size that we had on the aircraft. And so there we knew there wasn't a way to land anywhere up there, so we knew it was going to be a rope and it was going to be at least and minimum of forty footer and it ended up forty and then as it broke drifts, you know, it kind of goes forty to sixty to you know, as it works out. And then when one Charlie came in, I know, their rope started at sixty and it ended somewhere around eighty.
Speaker 3: Tony said, they just roped down into fog with like no idea of where the bottom was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was. Well, I mean the fuck came in after we were already on the ground. I know what he's talking about, because you know, it is just the way the weather was working, and you know, it's just it was. It was, you know, one of those points where I never really you know, after a private I never roped with with leather gloves, you know, fast rope, you know, the working work gloves anymore. I always did it in no max shooting glo Hamburger helpers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I never tried like trying to take those gloves off, and always felt like my hands got so much hotter. And you know, I had a teen starts said hey, just just rope in your shooting gloves because you don't have to grip. The rope is tight. He this paces the heat just as well, and he said, just try it on the fast repe tower. So I did, and that's that's a forty foot rope, and you know, it wasn't terrible. And then I was watching guys carrying two forties and stuff roping in and they've got the big thick gloves on and they're squeezing extra tight just to have a feeling on the rope, right, And so then they're burning in and you know, and their hands are getting so hot that you know, they're blistering at you know, still ten or fifteen feet above ground, and they're just letting go. They're like, I'll just deal with it when to hit the ground. And you know when once Charlie came in, you know, they had the same problem, and guys were falling off and then they were just ending up in the big pile. And I know their rto had had his arm broken because he got stepped on. Yeah that's and so you know he got guys that need to get meted back, but you ain't getting meta backed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So what was it like for your platoon roping in and getting on the ground.
Speaker 4: Uh, it wasn't. We didn't have any contact or anything. And it was it was quiet, you know. And then when you when the brown out cleared and all the you know, the wash of everything, and you know, you kind of look up the mountain, you know, you you could see the crash because it's still on fire, it's still burning and it's just kind of one of those ominous moments, if you will, just kind of you know, the gravity of what you're doing has finally set in because you're seeing it with your own eyes and not on a TV screen. And then you know, it just becomes the all night walk up hill through the nettles and you know the Scotch Burn or not the Scotch Burn, but you know the pines and all the groundcover that's up there in the mountains, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Were you guys.
Speaker 1: Was there any intelligence that there were enemies on the objective or around the objective?
Speaker 4: We had, you know, any eyes around the area, but it wasn't anything like on on the objective. There wasn't any movement on there, you know, throughout the day or or anything. And there wasn't there wasn't any you know, people coming and going from it. I think, you know, looking back at it now, is they realized what they had done and what was about to happen, and so they were just kind of got a little bit of standoff and they really were it was to observe how we were going to take care of it. Yeah, and so you know, as the the that day turned into you know, a week to two weeks. You know, at night, you know, you see little fires on the mountain and you know, get eyes on it, especially can and then ac one thirties dropping, you know, one O five's on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what was that first movement that first night? What was the movement like for you guys? How long did it take?
Speaker 4: It took all night. We didn't get to the top until about an hour before you know, sunrise, and then were sitting there on it and the kind of listening to one Charlie, you know, suck their way up the mountain and then one Bravo was still about halfway up the mountain because they had driven in from Jelalabad the night or the morning that it happened. They drove up the ninety k in their trucks and then they started walking from the base of the mountain up and they didn't make it until the next day. And you know, only about half the guys that started to climb up the mountain made it up and the rest of them had to go back down and get picked up by the trucks. And you know cause they just either heat, heat, exhaustion or you know, twisted ankles and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and so what did that what was the next like week to what how what did that set in motion for you guys in particular?
Speaker 4: So what a said of motion for us was, you know, the priority tasking was to accountability and recovery of all you know, members of that aircraft crew and then the QRF team that was on there. So that totaled sixteen. And so we got those numbers, you know, kind of early afternoon and there was a small clearing on top of the mountain. You could put a small helicopter like little bird on it, but it was you know CDs drops for demolitions and you know, basically had to create an HLZ to be able to get everybody off that mountain that you know, the remains for those guys. And so it was kind of a was a good distraction, if you will, to do timber charges and clear that space to be able to make enough room to bring you know, helicopter in. And and so we just finished our regimental breachers course and uh so all that old stuff, you know that that timber stuff was still fresh in everybody's mind. So it was, uh, you know, we're all sitting there trying to do the math and the first starting to like use the peed method. Yeah, so we're sending tree stumps and everything up, you know, like Roman candles. It was, you know, just packing as much explosives in these little burrow holes in or knees and launch it. And so that that was fun. We cleared that and then we got to tasking for you know, what would turn out to be, go down the mountain and find Marcus, and so that that started the fun of the mountain. Weather moved in that night and dumped on us, and we're trying to walk down hill and you know, the trails a little stream bed at the time, and so guys are slipping and falling and guys are trying to not fall off the rid and then we end up, uh just for safety reasons, you know, we end up spending the last few hours kind of under pine trees waiting for the sun to come up so that we don't lose anybody.
Speaker 5: How many guys did you have left in your platoon at this point?
Speaker 4: We had split the four so we had two squads in the p LS package. So you know, the PT leader R. T. O f O were with us, and then the pat servant had his you know, uh, one squad two machine guns, you know, on still on the top and okay, on the on the top of the mountain, and we knew what we were. Yeah, they were still up there with with one Charlie and and reinforcing them, and we're just kind of the the maneuver element, if you will, going down and trying to confirm or deny what this push to talk signal was that that we were getting being triangulated down into this. I I always forget the name of the village, so I can't even remember it.
Speaker 3: So you guys have you guys had to kind of like hide hide out, not hide out, but you know, take cover under the pine trees until dawn and then continue to move down to where this you know, ostensibly there was a sigate hit that you had to go investigate.
Speaker 4: Right and so that was basically confirmed deny. You know, was it enemy recovered American equipment or was it actually in fact, you know, Murphy's team or you know what what the question mark was still for that and that was kind of where we were at from the tasking. You know, the crash had been accounted for us and now we're just trying to figure out, you know, the fate of you know, this Foreman seal team and so you'll finally push down in there.
Speaker 1: Was it consistent signal that you guys were going off of or was it just like a single a couple of hits and they're like okay around this general area.
Speaker 4: No, it was. It wasn't like a consistent but you know it's like somebody just ken the can the push to talk you know, intermittently enough to get a you know, an orbital transmission to triangulate, uh, you know where it was. And so it was kind of confirmed or deny what that was. And so you know, there was an s F team that was walking up that we tied in with and uh then pushed back down into this this little village. And then you know, as we're doing the rangers smashed through all the doors and clearing the village. You know, here comes Marcus, you know, from up from where they had him hidden and kind of stashed, and so you know, confirm that and then start you know, doing the.
Speaker 3: So so they actually brought Marcus out to meet you guys.
Speaker 4: Right, and they knew why we were there, and they knew what you were lying for, and so it was to you know hand him over and then do the you know, the kind of the whole s F thing where they do the you know, let's drink some tea and talk and you know, what.
Speaker 3: Was that moment like, what was that moment like when you first got face to face with Marcus and confirmed this guy's alive? And what what was your your perception of all that?
Speaker 4: I don't know the big question. You know that we you know, the first thing that we asked was once you know, we went through the whole challenge and kind of confirmed that it is him, you know, through the whole you know, M I, P O, W, M I A cards, you know, we all fill out, and going through that, it was you know, dude, where's everybody else? You know, and then you know it's like they're dead. Well okay, great, not great, but you know it's like, okay, but where they're on the mountain, that's it. You know, it's kind of that you can't give me anything more. The CITYO has just started kind of a frustration thing, and I get it. You know, he's been you know, that wasn't it probably wouldn't have been fun come down that mountain the way he says he came down that mountain. But you know, I I would like to hope to think that, you know, my friends were dead on that mountain. I can at least remember some kind of terrain feature that I could at least tell somebody that they're you know, they're up here in this area.
Speaker 3: And so what was the next step after that initial you had that initial questioning of Marcus, Uh, what what happened next?
Speaker 4: So then what happened next was, you know, we just kind of secured the little village that we were at and uh, you know, confirmed that it was him passed up, you know, oversap that you know, we had him, and then we were in control of him. And then we just had to sit and wait for nightfall to come so that we could bring in the middle of Backburg and get him out. And then it just started, you know, days and days and days of sweeping and searching this mountain.
Speaker 5: Side for the rest of the team.
Speaker 4: For the the rest of the team.
Speaker 3: I mean, did you guys eventually find the remains of those three other guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we expilled Marcus in the next day. You know, we were sweeping the lower portion of this of this spur and the other half of our paton was coming from the top of the ridge down we were just kind of meeting in the middle. And so after we had met in the middle and you know, kind of traded information and they got a break, you know, they started to climb back up for the night, and we turned around and started coming back down to finish our suite. They stumbled on on two of the remains just by half instance, somebody lost their footing and slipped into a little wash and ended up, you know, face first with with two of them oh Man, and so well, the rough part was that they still had to go like eight meters vertically with you know, to two sets of remains, and all we have is the old school poncho method to carry him up, right, because you couldn't do it with a litter. So it was wrapping them up in the poncho and kind of getting them up as best as possible, and you know, then they have to carry it traverse them across the ridge back over to the the HLZ and you know, then that was the hard part is after that, now we're just looking for one person, right, and you know, we ended up searching for oh Man, well, probably another ten days before we got ripped out when three seventy five came in. Yeah, and you know, at that point, you know, we're fourteen days, twelve or twelve days into this whole thing, and it's guys are just gassed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember Tony saying that, I mean the weather, you guys weren't getting enough water, that it was just it was just non stop for you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was you know, from sun up to sundown, you know, and then you got to you know, we're pulling security and small elements and so you're not getting much sleep, and guys are getting sick with you know, dehydration stuff or guys are getting you know, you know what happens, and you you get a bad MR and then you got a little bit of food poisoning or whatever, and work doesn't stop. You just got to keep going. You know, you've got a little bit of food poisoning from an MR that may have spoiled and you ate it anyway. And yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so you guys get ripped out before you find the uh, the final body.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then but well we got ripped out and then so I want to say it was probably eight hours later, you know that three s five had had found the uh, the last one, and so uh you was we were happy that. We're upset that, you know, we didn't end up finding him, you know, because somebody else had to come in, but you know, we're glad it was over with right right.
Speaker 3: Well you said the you mentioned earlier on that you know there were things that you pieced together years after uh, the event because at the time, you know, you're a you're a sergeant, You're you know, reacting on the ground as things unfold in front of you, doing the best you can. I just want to ask you real quick, you know, what's your perception of what what happened out there today versus what it was when you were actually there as a younger man. I mean, is there anything you've learned, anything that kind of like opened up your scope or offered a wider context that was surprising to you, or that kind of that you look at this event much differently today than you did at the time.
Speaker 4: I think it just what you know, it comes to mind is you know, the the amount of that goes into this type of situation. It's one of those things that we never trained for. When you know, nobody ever goes into a training scenario that we're gonna have aircraft shot down, and we're gonna do this, and we're gonna do that, and then all this kind of stuff and so it's like the worst of everything, you know, as far as the circumstances, and it's trying to understand all the pieces, you know, the wizard behind the curtain, if you will, of what's going on. And you know, it's all the questions that we asked after we got back. You know, why did it take so long for us to launch? You know, what were the circumstances? And you know, it's it's when this type of situation happens, it is everything stops in in theater, uh, you know, and then it's it's all assets shift focus, and it's trying to put everything in place so that way, you know, like I said, you know, when we do commit the force, it is you know, with all the odds can be stacked in our favor as best as possible. And so, you know, not not to jump forward too far, but you know, it's kind of one of those things that always stuck in my head. And then when the Extortion one seven shoot down happened, you know, we're on the ground and so then it's I can explain, you know, because I'm the old fart at this time. You know, it's kind of explains. The voice on the fly is like, hey, look, you know, this is what's happening behind the scene. You know, we're here in the middle of it right now, but this is what's going on on the backside. And so it's not that you know, we're not going to get things that we need, but there are steps and things that have to that have to happen. And so it was one of those that was the big learning lesson for me was you know, what are what are all these steps on the backside of of this type of scenario.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it's we talked about on last Friday's episode. I mean, it's it's amazing the effort that the US military will go through to recover our soldiers, uh, even if it's only to recover their remains, that will go through incredible lengths to u to repatriate every American troop.
Speaker 5: It's just incredible, right right.
Speaker 4: You know that was you know, the war Fighter series on History Channel. We did a segment with with this Marcus Latreil Red Wings recovery and you know something that he said, you know, it's you know, when they get in trouble, you know, they it's it's not expected. But you know when they say that the Rangers are coming in, you know, it's they're coming in with everything, you know, because you know, we're bringing everybody that we can, and we're bringing all the toys and all the stuff, and you know, we're bringing a big footprint.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you know, even though it was it was challenging for all the Rangers involved.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: We I mean, I'm grateful and I think you know, obviously the families are, like everybody's grateful that those seals did come home, you know, that they were found, because that would also be a horrible, you know thing for a family to go. Are they just out there missing? You know, are they still alive being held somewhere like.
Speaker 3: To this day, I mean, dpaa. I mean, we deal with it with our Vietnam veterans. You know, there's like one hundred and fifty Special Forces soldiers alone. I believe we're missing somewhere on layouts in Cambodia, And I mean that's just terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So after did it Aside from that, you guys ripped out.
Speaker 2: So you left Afghanistan at that point, correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was our last off. You know, we were out of there. It was just a couple of days long enough to you know, download the ammunition, pack everything up, throwing the palette and get on aircraft. We were we were out.
Speaker 1: And then you turned around and then you were in Mosoul in two thousand and six, and uh, I thought you're Yeah, I thought that your uh, your chapter name, Fast and Less Furious was funny. Can you can you tell us why why you called your chapter that?
Speaker 4: Uh, it was just a I'm not really sure anymore. It was just kind of a play on words with you know, I you know, things are speeding up in Afghanistan, but you know, or in Iraq, but you know, not necessarily are we having more fun? If you will, there's not you know, we're smashing targets and taking guys in, but we're not really getting in the fight. Yeah, gun fights really going on.
Speaker 1: And part of that the way what I got from this chapter and the way you explain it, the reason you weren't getting in a in as many gun fights is because you guys had really nailed down how to do these hits and that ninety eight percent of these hits we're debt. We're done silently where the bad guys never even knew you were there until.
Speaker 4: Exactly you know, it was one of these. You know, so we've just come out of Afghanistan, we've been dealing with this, and you know, the other battalions are you know, kind of setting this new trend, if you will, this new ttp for this what we're calling silent entry. And you know it's not the traditional ranger below the front door, open, go in, smash everything. It's you know, how can we come in as sneaky and quiet as absolutely possible. And you know, basically we're waking people up out of a dead sleep to take these targets. And so you know, at first you're like, oh, this is such a big letdown, But then as you start going on and it it really becomes this thing that we're all kind of driving for is you know, mission success is now not how much can we smash, but how how successfully can we get in repeatedly silently without firing any of these shots. Because now we're getting all of this intel from all these people through interrogations and all this stuff. And so you know, when you shift your mindset kind of away from the traditional you know what we'd like to call the ranger smash, and now we're kind of playing on the same TTPs and and kind of lines that you know, Team six guys are playing on a Delta Forces playing in and they've been having success for you know years, and you know all kinds of settings around the world that they're employed in. You know, we can as a Ranger regiment, we can employ these types of you know, operational guidelines that we're going to go do this and we're going to do it as quietly and mission success is now based on the amount of people that we can not kill on target, but we can drag off target, right, you know, and then it really becomes the driving force. You know, mission success is now can we do it? And how many times can we do it? And then you know it's kind of not necessarily mission failure. But you know, if shots are have to be you know fired in, right, you know, what do we do wrong that that got us into that gunfight? Because it's really impressive, you know, as a leader when you can bring like thirteen plus guys into a target building and roll up fourteen or fifteen dudes without anybody knowing that you're even in the room, right, And so you know, that was you know, and then when we started going into two other techniques later on, you know, was like, but we're so good at this, why are we switching to doing this this other thing? And you know, I never really liked what we call prefer you know, later on it would be the call out. And I understand the you know, as a leader of the thought behind it is that it's less risk of force because we're now telling the enemy. And you know, for those of people who don't understand, it's kind of like what you know a swat team will do, or you know, the FBI does, you know, when they surround a house or a compound or whatever and then they're getting on loud speakers and they're telling people to come out and surrender and and all that. But you know, it's never the fun way to do. It's kind of you know, if you will, it's boring.
Speaker 3: Right, right, You walk us through like one of those ops that really like stands out in your mind where you know, you just kind of like pride open the front door, and rangers and night vision just kind of swept through and.
Speaker 4: Well, there was uh mostli we we had one op and I mean we had been in probably four or five houses down the block trying to get the right house. And when we finally did get the right house, you know, we popped the front door open, all nice and quiet, and I mean there was no there was no reverberation off the metal door or anything. We had you know, pressure and counter pressure working, and you know we ended up you know, sliding in all nice and and quiet. And then you know, I had a whole squad of guys, you know, pulling security on dudes. And then it was you know, we had the first floor, you know, secure as as far as you know, guys are. We've got guns on the right amount of people, and you know, we've got a whole other squad is sneaking in to take care of you know, what needs to be going on upstairs, and everybody's all super quiet, and you know we're basically we take the whole house down all in one shot, and we end up with like sixteen detainees and you know, the whole target's done in forty five minutes. We got everybody's tagging bag. We've done all the sight exploitation and you know, and then we're we're onto the next objective. Yeah. So it's amazing when, you know, when when you can look back at that and and be like, wow, I was a part of that, and you know that that worked out great and and you know when you can explain you know that that is you know, mission success because you know, intel drives the targeting, and when you don't kill the intelligence, then you get more targets and you get to go have more fun. And you know, when you could explain that to the younger guys who are you know, nineteen twenty and just kind of chomping at the bit, and it's like, no, hey, to relax, relax, We're being smooth, We're being quiet. You know, we started, you know, climbing walls and and you know, then then it would became the whole you know, can we do a top down? You know, can we come in from one building or can we ladder up the side of the building. And you know, not only can we come in from the ground floor, but can we send in the salt force in from the top floor and still do it all silent? You know, it just becomes a whole other side of you know, this developing persona that we're creating in the Ranger Regiments. Not just are we the ability to go smash things, but we can be as precision as anybody else, but do it with twice as many people.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I want to take just one second here to give a little advertisement actually for our own podcast. We have a Patreon site and there's a link down the description. If you guys check it out, and if you join, you will get ad free episodes. You get all these episodes without any of the ads in them. And there's also a couple bonus episodes and bonus segments that you guys can check out. So the links down the description, that's all I wanted to throw out there.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 1: You get deep thoughts by Jack and Dave sitting in our smoking pajamas and uh, you know, talking about the way of the world, plus a lot of great bonus content.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: But so then after Missoul, you guys did Ramadi, which is a lot more of the same. But now you guys are operating on boats.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, we're on the on the sweat boats, on the sockars, no ship yep. So that you know it was it was different. It was totally fun. I mean, you know, because at the time, you got to remember Ramadi and Flujah, they're still on the you know, it's still a wild West out there. You know, the Marines are still having it out all day long every day, and we're trying to you know, kind of squeeze in the seams and do what we're doing. And uh, you know, we had a company commander at the time. He was notorious for you know, any holiday. It was a day that you know, he had been blown up and so he didn't really like to drive anymore. And so he's like, the only holiday I've never been blown up on is Halloween. And so we took the ground of salt force out and strikers and uh hit a target driving back and uh, his truck gets popped, and you know, it's what we call a catastrophic vehicle kills. So it's a striker, but it had a whole penetration and it was enough to penetrate the bottom of the floor and then what came through stuck in the back of the seat on the driver. But nobody, nobody was hurt. And you know, the testament to the striker as a vehicle platform that we were using, it blew all the circuit breakers in the vehicle and all the driver had to do was just reach around, push the breakers in and start back up. And it drove all the way back to the gate and then it gave up the ghosts, you know, the all the steering linkage and the front broke apart and it was plugging the uh the ECP there at the at the gate onto Ramadi. And so that was kind of funny because we had to move the the t barriers out of the way to open it up so we could get the record in there to hook onto it, because there wasn't a way to pull it through the chicanes with with that with all those barricades in place, so we had to you know, it was probably a three hour process to get that truck through the gate. You know, we got all the marine convoys and the army convoys and body they're all backed up sitting outside waiting for us to move our piece of junk. And so after that, you know, the team six guys were like, hey, we've got you know, the boats are down you know at the little off site you know, on the on the river, and you know we could start employing those and so we started doing you know, boats in, helicopters out, or helicopters in and boats out, and that's pretty cool kind of and riding the rivers. And it was definitely really cool because we could get way closer to target on the boats than you could with you know, helicopters without the noise signature. And it just you know, opened up a whole nother avenue of a technique that we hadn't really you know, been utilizing. And it was Yeah, I just I'm the only thing I wish that it was it had been in the summertime instead of in the winter.
Speaker 3: I've never been to Ramadi before, so I'm actually looking up on the map. So the Euphrates kind of runs right through the center of the city and there's a few like outlets, one of one of which it looks like it runs right into like the city center.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That's pretty that's pretty cool, man. So you were you said we were able to get closer to target using the boats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could get within you know, a k of the target building or you know, depending sometimes it was within you know, four or five hundred meters of the target. And so you know, you have a last you know, the LCC is you know basically at the boat drop off point on the beach and then you know, move the target and take the target down, and you know, then moved to Xville and you know, just short helicopter ride back onto the base and so it was uh, you know, it was definitely fun because we were the one of the first to actually implement it and so, uh, you know, we kind of got to be on the on the front side of that. As far as what the rangers were doing with you know, boat boat ops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now did you guys did you guys have those? I mean, I know that boat ops was always supposed to be a ranger thing, but it really we only at least like in the nineties, we only use for training. Like, did you guys have those in theater? Did you acquire them? Did somebody else have them and you borrow them? How did that all start?
Speaker 4: Well, it was the They were the quick boats, so the teams brought them and so the Swick teams are the guys they were manning all the boats, and so they're the sofcars that the you know, the nine hundred horsepower twin jet drive uh, you know, forty foot assault boats and so you know, they've got a whole there's a whole crew, these navy guys that drive the boats, gun the boats. All we did was just get a ride.
Speaker 5: And that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I never even knew the rangers did that. That's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was definitely fun. You know, in the in the boats of you know, everybody's like, well, I wouldn't want to do that. Well, it's a fully armored boat. You know, it's nine hundred horse power. They'll do fifty miles.
Speaker 3: An hour on the water and safer than drive places.
Speaker 5: It's safer than driving down a road that's packedfull.
Speaker 1: I yeah, unless they're like deploying yeah, mines or something mine dog men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, there had been there was a time, you know, early on where the enemy had been trying to figure out how to id the river and they could figure out how to do it, and there wasn't any success. Whether they had tried hanging them from the bridges, but you know you can see that, and then they tried to plant them in the river banks, but it wasn't anything that was going to cause any kind of lethality to the boats. So they just basically gave it up as like, well, if they're going to use them, then there's something that we can do about it until they come on target.
Speaker 2: So I know that. So we have like more Missoul in Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: I don't want to leave too much out, but I also really want to get to I want to talk about twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to make sure we talk about that. Am I missing anything? All space? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So can we talk about about your injury, about how all that came about?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So do you want to skip the extortions? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, No, let's talk about the extortion. Yeah, let's talk about extortion on first. Yeah, sorry about that.
Speaker 4: No, that's okay, we can. So this was kind of the the twenty eleven deployment was it was the last of the surge, the Special Ops surge into you know, Petreus's surge into Afghanistan and and kind of increasing that force. So, uh, BICO was the last company and second Arrange battalion to surge whether stay late or or go early. And so we had just finished the the KPEX at Fort Bragg, which is the big you know, the Special Ops dog and pony show for Congressman and uh you know, the President and all that stuff, which was fine because it gave us, you know, an extra week of training with you know one sixtieth and some you know, platoon time if you will, to run around of work through fine tunes, some TTPs and some s ops and break some of the new guys a little bit tighter online with you know, how we're gonna accomplish these these tasks when we're getting overseas. So you know, we got task to go to Bob Shank and be passed with Team six, uh under their command, and so h we went over and and did that, and uh, you know, we had a pretty good working relationship with with the Gold Squadron for for that uh early part of that deployment. And then the uh, you know, night of August six rolls around and so objective Left to Grow comes up on the table as a you know, it's a a target that had been tracked and chased and kind of lost but never could get a lot of fidelity to to it because he's a pretty dynamic target meeting. He's constantly on the move and and you know, hard to nail down to one location. But he had rolled into the Tangy Valley on this you know, this day and singing. It had kind of pinned him into a certain location inside the the valley and in a little cluster of buildings, and it was enough that it was probably about seventy percent fidelity on the on the objective targeting that it was. It was still solid, and we had just come off a few days of weather and uh, we're looking at maybe some more days of weather on the back end of this. So it was we had this little like two day window of good weather to do an op and I was kind of you know, looked at the at my peel and you know, we went to chow and we were sitting there having the conversation. I'm like, look, I'm willing to take a swing at seventy percent, you know for this target. You know, uh, you know we're gonna be stuck sitting for weather for a few days. And I don't you know, we've already been stuck sitting and Rangers doesn't do well sitting sitting around with with whether if we don't have anything to do. So you know, I was like, I'm willing to take a swing at seventy you know, we're going into the Tangy Valley. So it's basically a guaranteed gunfight, and you know, what do you think And he's like, yeah, I'm willing to take a swing on seventy percent. So we went back and pitched it that will take a swing at it and if nothing else, you know, we'll let him know that we're chasing him and kind of break his pattern of life. And usually when we can do that and break the pattern of life on people, that's when they start making mistakes and it becomes easier to you know, launch, launch a follow on operation because he's not sure what he needs to do. And so, you know, we drew up the plan and got approval and then brief the plan, pitched the plan to the boys and you know, one of the only times I've ever told the boys we actually it was the only time I ever told him. I was like, you know, this is the Tangy Valley and it's not an if we're going to get into a gunfight. It is a one we are walking into a gunfight on this night. And there's a reason why we only go into this value on the no illumination cycle, and that's because they're going to shoot at anything, helicopters, aircraft, people, So you know, switch it on, put it on straight, and you know we're going to get it on tonight. And so we had an uneventful you know infield when no rounds taken because we had flown in extortion one six and one seven had been our infield aircraft. And so then they flew back cycle through and Gold Squadron was on QRF for for us or any follow on objectives that came up from what we were doing. And so infield, got the guys, got the boys on the ground, uh, you know, started moving to the objective, got word that you know, there was eight to ten and we fighters moving off the objective, and so we uh pulled the formation, got clearance for fires with the Apache gun ships and and lit into them with the Apatche gunships two gun runs per aircraft and and then push the target uneventful after that, and then cleared through the the contact and had stirred up a bunch of you know stuff in the valley, and so you know, I was it's just you know, guys in their rebel rousing, trying to get guys to come out and you know, gather a force to come and fight. And so we're clearing through our target and uh, you know, it's it's looking good for what's being seen on is R because they're seeing a bigger picture than what I've seen within you know, a thousand meters circle of my objective. And so the the call came from the from the jock to my petun leader and myself was like, hey, are you guys gonna go You know, you're gonna go push farther into the back and you know, taking on this contact. And at the time, you know, we're working a pretty good objective and we were actually kind of thought we had what we were looking for on the objective as far as who we went into the the valley to get and we said, no, you know, we think we're working at and we have what we want. They said, you know, do you care if you know gold squadron comes in and you know it starts there on movement to contact on the rest of this objective and you know, about five k to the west of you. And I said, well, that's plenty of deconfliction of space for small arms fire. So if they want to come in, you know, and that's what they want to do, good on them. You know, it's had been a pre briefed h discussion between malteltoone leader myself, Jonas.
Speaker 11: And Lou the master chief and the commander for the Gold Squadron, that hey, look, if it does ever happen that it's a single objective, but we end up bringing in the other al, you know, we'll link up and then we'll just kind of work Xville, you know as it.
Speaker 4: Plays out, and if we have cycle aircraft and a cycle aircraft and you know, we'll just get it done and it's like okay, great, awesome. So we knew how that was going to go, and we kind of had a pre pre planned position where we were going to link up, you know, if that had happened. And you know, we got the word that they were loading on the extortion and we weren't sure which way they were going to come into the valley, and we kind of said, hey, we recommend, you know, if you overfly our objective, then we could at least, you know, provide groundcover for anything. And you know, but well, you know, we only get a small amount of say, and it doesn't really carry that much weight as far as what the airplanners are doing, you know, because these are conventional aircraft. So the pilots are only flying what's been improved through their S three Air shop and and so, you know, what we were saying to our job is not necessarily making it over to theirs. And so we were like, well, okay, so you get the call that their wheels up and they're ten minutes out, and so we wanted to clear one more building. So we've kind of pushed to try and clear the building real quick and get the call that you know, there are six minutes out, and then three minutes out, and so we held our assault and what we're doing, and we're just kind of sitting there waiting and I'm waiting. I'm waiting to see the bird's flush after infill and so that we're not you know, if we end up shooting on target, that we're not getting to ricocheting something into aircraft because they're within you know, small arms distance, and then that that never happened, kind of wondering what's going on, and then we get over the fires in it from the FOS that there's a fallen angel and I had known what the you know, the pro word, if you will is, and it's just kind of dumb struck by and I said, say that again and He's like, where I've fallen angel? And I was like, okay, now, so that my brain and my you know, it's all connecting, you know, speaking English, and he goes, extortion has been shot down, and I was like, okay, great. So then it was you know, how fast can we back out of this target building? How fast can I get the guys on the road and get them to start moving even though we don't know exactly where it is yet, it's I just know the general direction that we need to go, which was to the west. And so we got the boys back out of the objective, off the objective and we're moving in about three minutes, you know, as far as getting guys pushed out, and then it's trying to all the weapons and everything that we had accumulated on our objective. Is trying to take all that stuff with us and you know, get everybody and everything on the move and not leave. You know, all this stuff too potentially be shot in the back with it, so send it forward and find a place to blow it in place. And you know, then the question comes to, like what do we do with all these detainees, and so it just becomes well, leave them, and you know, people are like, well, you're gonna untie them. I was like, nope, somebody will come over and cut them loose later. I'm not not cutting anybody loose. They can figure it out, right. And so we've got off the objective and start moving. I just, you know, well, I'll never forget you know, when the lead element and the snipers and the dog handler finally got with an eyesight of you know, around the terrain feature and it was just this you know, I won't use the profanity, but it was one of those oh my god moments. You know, the whole night sky is just lit up with just fire and you know, the burning wreck of it, and you know, you know, we're still trying to figure out, you know, the fastest way, and you know, should we you know, so the tangy road that runs through this valley is heavily ied'ed. I mean it's ied like every three to four hundred meters. There's something planted in that road and it's to stop you know, the trucks. And so there was this you know, do we want to go over land? And I told the po's like, hey, look sir, my recommendation. We got to assume the risk the force and we're just going to have to stay on the road because we got to get there. And he said, I agree. So we just you know, I told the dog and the handler up front. It was like, if it looks suspicious or he wants us, you know, to you know, say that there's something in the road, and just mark it and mark it good, and just tell everybody to stay out of the way because we got to go. And so it took us about an hour to go the five k to get up there, and then you know, it's a kind of trying to put this whole thing together on the fly, and you know, everybody's radios are going nuts as far as you know, the pl these you know, like basically glue to the stat radio and just like, hey, sir, we've got to I need some information here, you know, we gotta you gotta tell me how many people on this aircraft, you know. So we're working through that and it's you know, I finally get the numbers and I'm thinking, you know, it's half the force, and I'm like, okay, so and they you know, but he gave me the number thirty eight and I was like, so, how many are on the other aircraft. You know, I'm not joking about it. I'm like, I'm in disbelief. It's like, how many people are on the other aircraft then goes empty ship and I was like, oh, you know, it's like for those people that don'ts you know, that aren't listening, that aren't you know. In the military mindset of this is that, you know, it's a technique, and it's not a bad technique. You know, it's a it's a risk of force risks the aircraft decision that leaders make. Do we put everybody on one aircraft and only risk one aircraft to enemy fire and get the force all in it once, or do we only put half the element on one aircraft and the other half on the other. And the problem with that, you know, split force on multiple aircraft is that lead aircraft makes contact, that second aircraft is not getting on the ground right, and so then you only have half your force on the ground. So, given the situation that they were going in to pick a fight with you know, of anywhere twelve plus fighters on that side, it made more sense to just risk one aircraft and put everybody on the ground all at once. And it's not a bad decision. It's just you know, people ask me, well, why didn't you do that? Then, well, I brought fifty five guys to the fight that night, and we don't fit on one aircraft.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, you know, we finally get up there on the crash and we start you know, saying calling for supplies that we're gonna need, and you know, the backside support, you know, from you know, guys in the rigger shop to doing CDs drops because we're out of we're out of water by this point. You know, there are supplies that we just don't have. And the whole way up there, I'm in my mind, I'm I'm flashing back to all the stuff that we brought in the night we did the you know, the turbine three three in the Marcus the trail, you know that six years ago. All that's floating back into my mind and I'm trying to think of all the stuff that we had and all the stuff that one Charlie had, and I'm trying to you know, request this stuff because at this point in the game, as far as you know, the g WYT, this is combat. Struch and rescue is not something that we have time to train on anymore. And it was something that you know, back in the day when we assumed Ranger ready for US one. It was one of those one day, two day taskings that you know, we all trained, you know, crash axes and smashing through and this is what we do now. We get fan egress once a year when we do rotor wing violets. You know, if the aircraft has a hard landing, not destroyed, but it has hard landing. You know, this is how we destroy the radios is how you destroy you know, the airframe if need be, you know, and so on and so on. But at this point, it's like, okay, well I need I need body bags, I need water, I need bio hazard, you know, and if you can find them, I need Class D fire extinguishers. And so I'm trying to get all this information requested to the jock so that they can build this weird CDs palette to hopefully help us, you know, get everybody recovered, because by the time we got on the crash site, you know, it was still a fireball. It was still on fire for hours after and you know, it was one of those learning points, I guess if you will for the for the job that Hey, look, you know this is the second time I'm in less than ten years that we've had this happen. And we don't have any classic fire extinguishers to put out a middle fire, right, and helicopters have a lot of magnesium in them, right, And so you know, we did correct that, you know later on that that all this stuff did make it into country, and thankfully that never had to be used it again. But it was one of those well, we probably should have some of this stuff at least on standby.
Speaker 2: And given given that you are already in a non permissive environment, I imagine that you probably had a decent air package you start with. But what happened at that point?
Speaker 1: I mean, did they start pushing all the assets you guys needed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the air package, you know, we had a patches on station, and then we had AC one thirty, and then we had fast movers in the stack at altitude. And so what happens is when this kind of situation happens is everything in the country shuts down. Doesn't matter where at in the country, it is. All operations are ceasing assist. If you're not on target, you'd better be calling for expill or you're walking home because you know every ISR platform mann is unmanned, you know, fast movers, rotor wing assets, they're all coming to wherever that crash is at. And it was nuts the amount of support that we had, you know. And then so the big Armies Combat search and Rescue element, the pathfinders in the book, they're not you know, pathfinder pathfinders. That was just our call signs pathfinder. You know, those guys almost didn't make it in because they were shutting everything down, and so it was either going to already be there, which was us, or it was going to have to come in on a truck. So they made it in just moments, moments before everything got shut down as far as rotor wing assets. And the strange part is is that you know, transport aircraft have flying pairs or triplets, and so Extortion one six the other aircraft in the flight I had to get special permission to fly back from the objective area as a single ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I'm actually misunderstood because I thought when you were saying everything in the country got shot shut down, I thought you meant because it was all pushed to you guys. But why would they shut down the path fight or the combat search and rescue efforts.
Speaker 4: The rotary wing aircraft are getting shut down. It's not the fixed wing aircraft or the IR platforms or any of that stuff. It is the uh you know, uh, the apaches are getting grounded. All all rotor wing air assets are getting shut down at this point, you know, And it's it's a timing issue of can we get these in? And basically what it is is it's allocation of assets. And we just had a helicopter shot down, so we're not going to commit any more helicopters into this area. And so what their whole thing was is that they had to get on the ground after we had containment of the area to provide a ground force security element on their HLZ for them to be able to come in. And so we had that just you know, right before the sun came up.
Speaker 1: So it almost, i mean, it almost sounds like they get super risk adverse, like we have.
Speaker 2: One helic very risk.
Speaker 1: Yes we have that we have, and so we're not going to risk another helicopter to get you guys assets you need because we don't want to lose another helicopter.
Speaker 4: Right And that's so then a lot of it becomes like things that we were requesting that normally would come in like on the back of a forty seven and just get kicked out in a kit bag. Yeah, it has to get put on a fixed wing aircraft, so see what thirty and then has to get CDs drop combat delivery system has to get dumped to us that way so they can fly in you know a tens as air support and and all that other kind of stuff, and it just becomes a risk aversion to more ground fire, so red ry wing assets.
Speaker 5: So how did this unfold?
Speaker 3: As as the sun came up and you're continuing with this recovery mission.
Speaker 5: Now that's what this has turned into.
Speaker 4: Right, it's you know, so it is all this is going on and uh, you know, we're trying to figure out what you know it is there gonna be anybody else that's coming in, and you know, so we're we're securing the crash site in a you know, kind of a football shaped perimeter as loose as we can and uh to start working the recovery efforts of it. You know, it's still dark and night vision is not working because it's so bright with all the fire. It just becomes this basically sent two fire teams out on the north side of the the create that the Tangy River and one on the south side. We just started doing concentric arcs, you know, basically fire teams online just kind of calming around this. And what we're looking for is anybody that had been possibly ejected from the crash, you know, whether they had survived or you know, hurt or whatnot. And so that was the first thing is you know, how how how much of this can we clear within reason, you know, get out you know, one hundred and two hundred meters and make sure that you know, when we start pulling remains, we're not missing somebody because they got pitched out of the back. So that's how we found like the first sticks to eight guys were kind of in this arc pattern that had been kind of thrown out within you know, fifty meters, and then you know, we got started getting the accountability and so then we started finding chunks of the aircraft. The rotor assemblies, the front and rear rotor assemblies, you know, are in these positions, and we're kind of assuming that that's the farthest that any of this wreckage is going to get as you know, people aren't going to get that far, but you know, the rotor blades are still spinning and and torqued out, and they're going to you know, wobble off and you know, end up in an orchard here, or get slammed into a tree, you know, cluster of trees over here. And so then it becomes you know, how can we work this problem while it's still on fire? And so then it becomes you know, how long can we sustain you know, the exposure to the heat and things cooking off and exploding, and you know the risk of force for us to make this as fast as possible, and you know, it's just kind of one of those the real moments if he will, because he start you know, as the sun's coming up, you're starting to see the look on everybody's face of just you know, horror and disbelief that you know, I can't believe this has happened, and you know, you try not to expose everybody to that, so you're really relying heavy on the guys that have a little bit more seasoned under their belts and the squads that are a little bit more mature, and you know, so I was really relying real heavy on second squad at the time too, you know, to work this and then as they started to get gassed and just worn out, you know, rotating one other squad in two take over until we kind of got this all, you know, accounted for, right.
Speaker 3: And I mean I don't, I don't, I don't want to get like too graphic, but I mean they're actually having to recover the remains of these seals and attachments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're picking them up out of the firing you know, wreck and stuff.
Speaker 5: So it's a pretty difficult.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, you know, if you were for the guys that were there, you know, we we had talked about it later. It's like, you know, Hollywood couldn't have written anything more graphic for people that you know, want to imagine what this is like. I mean, you couldn't have written a script like this any any more graphic than what it actually turned out to be. As far as the way movies are made now, it's crazy. And you know, and I give the credit to the boys because they you know, they handled a lot that night, and you know, for some of them, you know, it's their first deployment and you know they're seeing the worst that can happen, and so you know it's trying trying to make sure that everything was okay, right right, and so you know, we I think it was probably about four four and a half five hours and we had everybody you know, pulled out and accounted for, and you know it wasn't there wasn't a lot of some people left. So because that was one of the questions you know, later when talking with the jock and and things after it was all said and done, you know, there was you know, questions, questions over you know, how did you get accountability because you know through the investigation. I mean there was investigations that went on. This thing went on for weeks of you know, there's everybody wants all these answers, and so then you know, one of the questions comes is like how did you you know, come up with that you had accountability of all of these people? You know, and it wasn't prefaced. The statement wasn't prefaced correctly because they're getting information from like mortuary affairs that says, you know, you can't count it as a human unless you have fifty one percent of the remains, and some of these guys are you know, not to be graphic there's you know, c spines and skulls.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and you did the best that was you did the best you possibly could under combat conditions, right.
Speaker 4: Right, And so you know, we go, you know, we go up for the ramp ceremony, and so anybody who's spent any time in the range of regiment, you know, personnel and accountability of people and equipment. That is the senior n CEO's bread and butter. That's his baby. And so I just remember going into the jock and you know, we're up there for the ramp ceremony. I'm kind of talking with the you know, the regimental staff and officers, and you know, bumped into somebody that I you know, knew and I respected, and he goes, you know, hey, you really good under the circumstances. And I said, so, I got a bone to pick, and I don't care if it gets me fired. You know, it was one of those, uh, since winning the Ranger Regiment is personnel, accountability of man, weapons and equipment, not the NCO's job. And when you grill my opportunit leader over something that he's not involved in, I have a big problem with that. And so you know, I'm being polite about it, you know. Uh, but uh, it was one of those those things where you know, it's like, you know, we we did the best we could under the circumstances. And you know, I wouldn't have given you a false report in the circumstances if I wasn't sure that we had everybody right.
Speaker 2: And so you're.
Speaker 1: Your p always taking heat like they were trying, like your p always taking Yeah, there.
Speaker 4: Was a there was a a vtc SO video teleconference like a few days later, and he was being grilled over you know, accountability and how did we get these numbers, But they never prefaced where they're getting their questionable you know, right numbers from, or or how we could say we had accountability and and so uh, you know that came to light and I just I, you know, I was still short feused from the whole thing, and I just was like, well, I don't care.
Speaker 5: Not, I get it.
Speaker 3: You're you're the platoon sergeant and the buck stops with you, and you've said that, you know, I understand.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I mean what was fun is that you know, I excused myself from the big jock, and you know, we went over to the ramp to stand by for the ceremony, and somebody came over and they actually apologized to michaeltoon leader or you know that grilling if you will, and I was I actually thought that, you know, the the fabled Bleckshook was going to come in and carry them off and I was going to be without a tune leader. But it didn't happen, and uh, you know it's I felt, you know, justify after that that you know, he got raked over the coals for something that wasn't in his lane, right, and you know I got him in apology and so then everything was straight. Not not trying to brag on this situation, but you know it's you guys, because.
Speaker 1: Also that they are using an administrative standard for you know, yes, you know this right, this is this is a sailor, but it's not enough of a sailor to be counted like yeah, exactly, yeah, you know, like.
Speaker 4: I said, you know, we you can't nobody can have more than one school and one c spine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now I I did did the.
Speaker 2: Did the army or did the military.
Speaker 1: Take steps to make sure that that your guys were okay after that? Because that especially if you think about some yeah, his first deployment, so sorry.
Speaker 4: We had you know, throughout the rest of the deployment, we had you know, the the psychologists and the chaplains, you know, they were always coming in and checking on the guys, and you know, as leaders, you know, we were constantly asking if they were you know, doing okay, and you know, if everybody was still having issues from the floor. But the hardest challenge as a leader was to you know, look, look the boys in the face when it was all done and everything got cleared to operate again. Is to you know, tell them, hey, we're going out and we're going to load back on these aircraft and we're just going to keep doing business. And you know, to see the look in some of their faces, it's just, you know, there's timidness in their eyes that you can see is because they've seen the worst that could happen, and you know, ask them to step back on those airframes and to you know assume that risk. You know, that was the hardest, you know, and then it got easier for them, you know, as we kind of settled back in. But you know, then we started and we went back in the Tangy like six weeks later, and we lost one of our guys, Tyler Holtz, was killed, had one other guy Specialists was wounded, you know, all in the same area of you know, where that crash had happened, within about four hundred meters five hundred meters of the crash site itself. Because what we had done was we had gone back through all the video and the ISR and you know, figured out where that those rocks were fired from, and so that became a target in itself, a very deliberate target. And you know, we'd brought the rest of Bravo Company up and did a big company off in there, and you know, we'd put one hundred and fifty rangers on the ground, and you know, we were just basically what it was was to just say, hey, look, you may have shot an aircraft down, but we're not afraid to come in here. And you know, then you know, unfortunately we have a team leader that's killed, another guy that's you know, severely wounded, and you know, so it just kind of this big, big downer for that and uh and then you know, and then I get hurt a few weeks later, and so it's just kind of where just one brather just continues to just take a meeting, either physically or emotionally or mentally. And it was a it was a rough trip. I always you know, guys always asking you know, what was that one? Like I was like, well, at that point in time, you know, one Bravo had been in more gunfights that deployment than the rest of the Talian together all the other platoons. We had been in more gunfights on that trip, and guys were just spent.
Speaker 1: Yeahs before we get into the operation that led to your injury. I I wanted to ask you because it's something we've talked about on the show before, and as a senior in CEO, you know, you mentioned the one side of how the guys responded to the extortion one seven, the timidity or the tim midnus, how is it?
Speaker 2: How is an n c O. Did you have to.
Speaker 1: Deal with the other side of that too, of reigning in the guys that wanted to get some that wanted payback and and would look and and that was a broad definition of a payback.
Speaker 4: Sure, I know what you're I know what you're getting at, and it's to say, hey, look, you know we're going back in here, but we're still going to be as professional as we possibly can, and there will be no shenanigans. You know it is to beat that into them, is like, no matter what you feel, no matter what happened with those guys, We're not going to get shut down operationally because somebody wants to do something stupid as payback. We're gonna it and we're going to give it to them in the right way, and we're going to do it our way, you know, within the rules of engagement, and you know, and that's going to be it. There's there's not gonna be any shenanigans.
Speaker 2: Were there during your time in the Rangers?
Speaker 1: Were there like leadership challenges and if in that in that sense, and if so, how were they dealt with?
Speaker 4: Not really, I'm I know what you're getting at. And you know, if as the Ranger regimen or even just the battalion as a whole, you know, the kind of when you look back at the way things were when when everything started in two thousand and one, you know, we started kind of as a special operations support. You know, we're there to you know, provide security and blocking positions and things for you know, Delta Force and Team six and you know, to get to the point where we're now we're running a gun and on the same target decks and you know, the same targeting lines, and we've earned our right to be in this point. Most of the guys at this point as part of the squad leaders and and you know, even some of the senior team leaders, but you know, team starters, we know what it's like to be the guy on the outside looking in, and now we're on the inside right there. There was no way that anybody was gonna risk, you know, ruining that reputation that we had for anything.
Speaker 1: And so now that's it's it's really interesting because sounds it sounds like it really was a amount of responsible leadership in the sense of, yeah, you know, setting the tone and making sure that that making certain that that tone is stuck to.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, and you know a lot of that, you know, it comes down to the to the people that you know, we pick as ntos to continue to lead inside the regiment. It's not you know, it's not just me. You know, it's all the other eleven ten sergeants that were there at the time, and you know, it's all the squal leaders that we say, hey, this guy has what it takes to be that squal leader. It's that guy that has that personal integrity to you know, continue to push push the you know what we're doing in the right direction. It's not to compromise our integrity or or any of that stuff, because you know, when those kind of things start happening and you start getting questionable uh cera answers on target, you know, then then your freedom of maneuver and freedom of movement and and you know what you do, it starts getting you know, put under the microscope. And so nobody wants to be under the microscope. And so you know, I give it to the guys that that took over after I got hurt, and you know, the guys that are even still doing it today. You know, it's it is carrying on that legacy of what we started twenty years ago and still continue to develop you know where it's going in the future. And you know, it's awesome to be, you know, a part of that history. You know, because I look at what the Ranger Regiment is now and back to what it was when when you were there, and you know, when I was a young private and you know, it is hands down a completely different organization and you know, we can do all that old stuff, but we are so much better at fitting into the operational roles that we have now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we'll just talk about the incident where you were wounded, and then we'll take some viewer questions and yeah, yeah, so can you tell us about Yeah, the operation, which.
Speaker 5: Presumably a Purple Heart is in the works here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so it is October six seven, twenty eleven. We're taking a swing at an ied and weapons facilitator. It's mid level target, you know, kind of the middle of the deck. It gets you the guys above and the guys below, which the guys below are you know, the targets in the pyramid that you know, the bus battlespace owners are dealing with. And so when you slice out the middle, you can work the targeting from both sides. You can get the guys who are providing stuff from across the border, and then it gives you the ability to pass on to the battle space owner who's putting this stuff in the roads that's trying to blow their trucks up. So, you know, that's kind of where we're swinging across the food pyramid. If he is right in the middle and so we're in Baraki Barack, or well, Brocky Barock was the little the town. But we're in Logar Province, kind of on the east side of the Tangy Valley. And the target grids dropped in a little cluster of four buildings that all shared walls. So it's like a plus symbol, and you know, you get twenty five chance of taking the swing right the first time. And so we swung wrong, and so we were reset all the pieces to move and strike the next compound. And as we're resetting all the pieces, you know, I made a stupid decision that I had preached a thousand times before, and shoot houses, don't ever put your body in front of an open doorway, and I had just instinctually, I just stupidly put my leg across this doorway. And as soon as I did it to hold the door were open. I took a three round verse. Took first round to the right thigh, and I took one as I was getting spun out of the way. I took one through the right arm pit and entered in my armpit and exited out my bicep, and then I took the last one through the through my helmet.
Speaker 5: Through the helmet.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it split the helmet, like the kevlar opened up, so it hit right temple right here, and then it blew my nods off my mouth. It came out right right on the top.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at the picture in your book. I mean, that's that's.
Speaker 2: From your leg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So you know, dual TB, dual tube night vision. You know when I when I got everything, when I hooked it back on and and went to flip it down, everything was offset and uh so I always people go, what does that feel like? I was like, well, I know what a baseball feels like when somebody hits a home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and honestly, all those I mean all three of those areas you're like, you know, with the femoral and everything down there and then right and then your arm pit like around going in them is one of the worst things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is one of the worst things.
Speaker 4: Uh Right. So when I finally, you know, after it was all said and done and I got you know, I finally made it to Germany and I was talking, you know, had a chance to kind of talk with one of the surgeons who happened to be one of the old battalion surgeons. Uh. And you know, he came in and he was kind of joking with me. I heard about this cranky old ranger n c O who's down here, just you know, he's just given me a hard time. And so uh, I was like, you know, I was asking questions. I said, I know I got shot through here, but you know what were the you know, how how how lucky am I?
Speaker 2: Or how yeah right was it?
Speaker 4: And he goes, well, you have the the you know, the Federal artery and the Federal nerve. They they run parallel to each other down the inside of your thigh. And he said that round went right between both of them.
Speaker 2: God oh.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, okay.
Speaker 5: And all those ops and this was the one that got you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all that and this was the my stupid mistake. And uh so you know that being said, that night, that gunfight went on for uh. You know, they brought in the q r F two. Bravo came in to back up first pretendent because we had I was wounded urgent surgical uh specialist Sara's was expectant and uh then we had an Afghan partner who was expectant he had taken around to the face, and uh, you know, we had two other guys that were wounded severely, but they didn't say anything about it because they were still able to conduct op some uh. And then we had twelve other guys that had received fragmentation because I got shot and then you know, there was an exchange of gunfire and then the enemy threw a hand grenade out in this little alley and so then it went off, and you know, I got a whole bunch of fragmentation in the back of my you know, hamstrings from it, and then a bunch of other guys caught frag off it. But that that objective alone that night, we gave out fourteen purple hearts. Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: So even after you got shot, you kept getting like they just wouldn't leave you alone.
Speaker 2: You kept thinking, you were like frying, You're like, I'm out, was like I got.
Speaker 4: Shot and then yeah, you know it's like time out.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, right right, I'm already out.
Speaker 4: Guys. Everybody goes, everybody goes. You know, did you have this uh you know, surreal moment where it's like time slowed down? Yeah, because what I perceived in my mind as being you know, just a minute or two is turned out. You know, it's probably about six or seven minutes, because you know, my bell's wrung. Yeah, the lights got real dim in the tunnel, if you will, and uh, I'm in my mind. You know, we do all this casually played during training, but when it actually happens, you've got it. It's a conscious thought effort to go, Okay, I have to put a tourniquet on. You're like, I know where they are, but can I reach it? Can I get to it? Because I'm kind of laid over on it. It's like, well, I can't really move. And I knew my femur hadn't been broken because I stupidly stepped, you know, I put pressure down on my leg when I lost my balance after I got shot in the head. So I was like, okay, good. You know, in my mind, I'm like, my fever's not broken. And uh so then I'm like, okay, I've got a tournique in my mid pouch and then I also have one down on my left calf. But I've got all this crap and I'm kind of in this weird position. Can I even reach it? Yeah, you know, because I've got a I've got a team leader and two other guys who are straddling over top me trying to get guns through this doorway, and they're you know, in the in the fight, and I'm not in the fight anymore. And I'm trying to like reach between their legs and my legs and grab this turn quit and put it on. And then you know, that just sucks. And then you're like, okay, but I still have to crank this thing down and you know, get it as tight as I can get it. And then there's a lull and then you know, I know that Cress is hurt, you know, so I know I can get I can probably walk, and so you know, I get help stood up, and then I try to get myself out of the way, you know, as best I can, and so I start walking, uh back down the alley way to where we're gonna have the CCP, and then, uh, you know, then then my leg starts going dumb and it's like, hey, doc, come here, you're gonna help me, and uh, you know, really, what I'm trying to do is just get out of the way so that the other medic can get in there and helps Cerro's and and get him kind of drug out of the way into the CCP. But I didn't really start panicking about the whole thing until I got my equipment cut off and my radios came out, and so then I lose all situational awareness to the fight, and then it's like anxiety comes in. It's like I have no idea what's going on anymore, and I am not in control of anything, you know, as a leader, and that that just sucks. But I knew when we reorganized the priority for METOVAC and it became myself and one of the snipers who took Frag through the nose took took Frag through the bridge of his nose. I knew that when I and him went from being on the second aircraft out being on the first aircraft out in the Afghan and Cero's ended up on the second aircraft, I just knew that, you know, thanks, we're not not going well. And you know, wasn't gonna tell me anything anymore because I'm not in you know, the first start and so on the objective. So he's kind of taken over those duties, and I just, you know, it was bad at that point. In my mind, It's just you know, everything that's gone sideways can go sideways and inside out.
Speaker 1: And and so they metavaced you. And then when did you when did you become aware of how the operation went.
Speaker 4: So I got metavacked and got back to Shank. It was probably about thirty minutes after I'd gotten shot by the time we got you know, from the c C you know, point of impact to the CCP and then over to the HLZ to metavac and then loaded on and then into the cash and then surgery. And then I didn't find out that Sarah's was killed till I got the ball room and then you know, some of the guys that were in the S four shop come over to tell me what was going on on the objective and that game. The QRF came in and the boys are still out there, and you know, the whole thing went for like six more hours before you know, the sun you know, it was done and over with and they were pulling both flatuns out just as the sun was coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so then you both you begin that long process of rehabilitation.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, yeah. Uh. So you know it was uh probably three or four days in Afghanistan and Bogram waiting on the Metavac transport to go to Germany, and it was a week in Germany and then back to the Madigan and you know, another week to ten days at Madigan, and you know, by the time it was all said and done, it was a dozen surgeries and then uh, you know, rehab. So I didn't make it back on active duty status until after New Year's Toy twelve?
Speaker 2: Did did did you?
Speaker 1: Were you able to contact your wife from the theater or when did she find out about it?
Speaker 4: Uh? I called her right after I got out of the first surgery in shank and but they handed me the SAT phone and I'm still, you know, trying to come out of sedation from that and so you know, sat phones don't work well when the antennas pointed to the ground, and so I was kind of frustrated. You know, my mouth's all cotton bold from you know, the anesthesia and the fentanyl, and you know, I'm frustrated that I cannot be coharent enough. I just remember handing the phone up to the UH thirty tune. I'm like, just please tell her, And so he gave her the you know, the you know, the information that was going on and then uh, you know, the Battalian commander called her a little bit later. I was in surgery and in my ball room and so uh she she knew within you know, a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're right in the in your book that you know, probably the most difficult conversation you had to have was with the family of specialist serahs and you know, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: You know that that was a you know, it was It's always tough, you know when you have to look you know them in the you know, in the face and say, hey, I'm you know, I'm sorry that your son died. And he died, you know, right next to me from you know, not not getting shot, but you know, he died from fragmentation that just happened to catch him under the arm and just the right spot where there was a gap in the armor. And you know that I survived and your son's dead, and you know, that's that's one of those those tough situations. And you know, because they can go one to two ways. You know, they could be they can hate you for life, or they can embrace you. And you know, luckily enough, his dad had spent uh time in the army, uh so he understood and so that was okay, And you know that was kind of one of the harder things. You know, last year, I got a chance to meet a bunch of the gold Star families for the Seal team that was killed, and you know, I'm always proud to meet him. But it's kind of one of those double edged things is that you know they're still holding on at anger grief and you know, uh, which way is it going to go? You know, are they gonna embrace you or are they gonna hate you? And you know that that's tough because I never not want to meet them, but you know, on the same same side of it, you know, I'm you know there, their son is not here, and I am right, you know, but regardless of the fact, you know, I I have a sense of pride, and all the boys that were there that night have a sense of pride. You know that. Hey, you know, regardless of whether you like us or hate us, you know, we brought him home and you know we're willing to accept you know, your anger or frustration at the situation. You know, that's just the way it is on the survivor's side of it.
Speaker 1: Right right, yeah, you I mean, you can't blame people for their emotions and the circumstances.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So how did how did you end up finishing out your career after getting shot up pretty badly?
Speaker 4: I spent six months on the Talian staff and running the S two shop, and then we had an incident happened where we had to relieve a platoon sergeant in one of the companies, and so I ended up moving over to snipers for my last year, and I was running the sniper platoon for the last year, and then I was on the sniper range. We were out eastern Washington shooting on a Department Energy range over there, and you know, the company commander of the first sergeant come over, and you know, off site training is always fun because everybody gets to be out of the office. So you know, I'm hobbling around and and kind of dragging my leg and at first start and like, hey, you're going to see a specialist when we get back. And so I went and saw the specialists and he kind of just laid it out, you know, bluntly for me. He goes, do you want to walk when you're forty? And I said, well yeah, and he goes, well, then you need to stop now, and so you know, that started the whole uh you know, medboard process. And so then I was out of the Army about six months later. Wow wow. So I know a lot of guys that take some a year or two or three to get out. But because I wasn't on any kind of pain medications or any of that stuff, you know, was they didn't have to, you know, worry about substance abuse or any of that. And so my packet kind of went a little bit faster than than some of the other guys. Some of the other as from they had gotten shot that deployment. You know, we're still in for another year or so even after I got out, because they had to get you know through kind of a I don't want to say rehab process, but you know, they kind of had to get leaned off the meds and you know and finish the rehabbing and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also I noticed it in your book. You also are you involved with Gallant few?
Speaker 1: I know that you have the PostScript for them.
Speaker 4: They I'm friends with, you know, some of the guys that had to Gallant for you, tim Abel and I'm drawing a blank. Carl Monger and some of the others, but it was one of those things. Yeah, Carl Monger did, so it was one of those things that he Carl asked me if we would put that in there, and I said, I will most definitely gladly, you know, put that in there to kind of help you know, all the film is out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, since it's in your book. Hey, folks, if you have a spare of five bucks this month or whatever, why don't you head over to Gallant Few.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't spoken to Carl in a while, and probably I should correct that, but he's a good guy and Gallant Few does a lot to help guys out.
Speaker 1: But it's a gallant Yeah, Gallant Gallant Few dot org.
Speaker 2: Check them out, throw them a buck or two. You know.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: I know we've kept you for a while here, uh, Nick, but let's hit up these user questions real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've only got a couple one from Jackson, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Did you ever work with any of the Tier one units Delta Seal Team six hr T and a SOW which impressed you the most of the bunch?
Speaker 2: And why.
Speaker 4: You worked with all of them, you know, in in some aspect or another. I lean towards you know, I did enjoy working with Delta Force a little bit more, and a lot of it is just because there's kind of this I don't know, you know, and all the tier elements have their own personality, and you know, we kind of sometimes fit better with guys in Delta Force because especially early on, you know a lot of the team leaders and squad leaders and guys, you know, the career progression is, you know, from the Ranger regimen is to go to that organization, so there is a familiarity with people who understand where you're coming from as a unit or an organization, whereas we didn't really have that for a while with Team six, and so we always kind of got looked at as like the kid brother thing. And then as far as the HRT, I've only worked with a few guys from there, and that was in the kind of middle part of Iraq, you know, it was only a select view, and that was the kind of we were building the terrorist database with the you know, the three letter agencies for you know, Homeland security and whatnot. So as far as that goes, but you know, everybody's they're all a great bunch of guys. I mean, I know, you know, in certain aspects, you know, we all talk trash on each other because we can, and you know, it's a cultural thing, and if you're not a part of the culture, then sometimes it gets looked at it's unprofessional. But you know, you read enough Seal books and they take cheap shots on us, and so this some of this was, you know, a chance to you know, level the field if you will, and take a few shots at them, and so yeah, professional then you know, then so be it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Elms, thank you for the donation. So Elms gave us a sticker and I'm not and Alms later comments that sicker didn't work out right, dang, So I don't. The sticker is either somebody raising us up and worshiping us, or I'll go with it, or it's uh, it's I don't know, it's like holding up a new baby. I'm not sure, but I'm gonna go with the worst. That the three of us, the four of us including d the four of us are are the new pantheon for Ohms.
Speaker 4: Hey, can we take like a five minute break?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, man, we'll yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, sure, thanks yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So guys, uh, next episode is going to be Hold on a second, I'll tease this out here. Uh okay, So on the third, actually we have an extra episode that we crammed in here James Laporta, who's an investigative journalist with the Associated Press. He is also a former marine, and he's broken some of the stories about what's that guy's name, Majewski, guy running for Congress who's a stolen I shouldn't say he's a stolen valorie guy.
Speaker 5: He he actually did serve, but he's still.
Speaker 2: Still on valor. If you say that you did top secret deployments and you.
Speaker 3: Didn't, my deployments are classified, Yeah, that's still I think that's still still.
Speaker 1: We'll let you guys vote whether it's stolen valor or not. But then dude makes step stuff about his military career that's kind of not cool, stolen valerie ish.
Speaker 5: And then next Friday is Tim Winer. Tim is a journalist. He wrote, He's written a number of books.
Speaker 3: He's written some pretty definitive histories of the Central Intelligence Agency and the FBI in a history of political warfare between America and Russia. So that'll be a pretty interesting conversation, I think. And then on the tenth another extra episode Joan Barker and she was facilitating some of the aviation for an internal de fence in Afghanistan. And in both Tim and Joan they will be in studio interviews, and so will on the fourteenth John Fox, who he was a marine and he worked or he went and he became an international volunteer with the YPG in Syria, and he wrote this book that I'm almost done with it now. He wrote a book about it's co authored him and two other guys who are foreign volunteers and fought with the Kurds in Syria against ices. So it's a pretty fascinating book.
Speaker 5: I think it'll be a good interview.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 1: And if you haven't joined our patron, join our patron, like hook us up, hook yourselves up.
Speaker 2: There's a ton of bonus content on there.
Speaker 1: Like I said, you get to see John Jack and I and are I said smoking pajamas earlier.
Speaker 2: I'm not smoking jackets smoking, but we keep it casual.
Speaker 5: We don't have smoking jackets.
Speaker 2: We keep it really casual. And our wife who pillows.
Speaker 3: That we have that we have the human door and the cigars are on their way, so we'll see who wants to smoke it up.
Speaker 2: Mecheless.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much man for for spending a Friday night with us.
Speaker 2: We we really appreciate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, quick, quick, quick one from what.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you guys having me what of our what if?
Speaker 3: Our Patreon users asked if, since you were two seven five, did you ever serve with Pat Tillman and his brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they were in Alpha Company and I was in Robert Company and Charlie Kenedy, But yeah, they were. Kevin and Pat were both there at the same time. Do I know them? Not really? I mean I know him about as well as I, you know, know Matt Best, which is I I know who he is, and I know he was in Alpha Company, and you know that's about where it's at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: So everybody some great eight great war stories, I mean on the ground stuff for for so many things that have happened during the g y first hand accounts run to the sound of the guns.
Speaker 2: Check it out, get it on, you know, we say Amazon.
Speaker 5: The link is down the links down.
Speaker 1: Below, but yeah, we highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: Uh, do you have anything that you want to plug an aside from gallup you or you involved in any charities or organizations or businesses that you want to plug, anything that you want to do.
Speaker 4: Not currently you know. No, I'm not involved in anything of this deal. Retired guy who got conned into writing a book if you will, and uh, well if people ask me, you know, hey, would you would you write another one? And I was like no, because I don't know what it was going to take to write the first one. I would not have even written that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great book, tons of references, a lot of great pictures too, which is something you know, you see a lot of pictures in Vietnam era books, but you don't see a lot of pictures I think in like modern g WAT books a lot of times, which is I think it's it's really cool, you know, it's something that a lot of really interesting.
Speaker 2: And that one of your wound I've never seen a pump like that sucks. Yeah, it's very interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually it does suck because it's a wound back. Yeah whatever.
Speaker 5: Sorry, all right, all right, thank you Nick so much.
Speaker 3: You know again, I really appreciate it, appreciate your family's patience with us while we suck you away on a Friday, and you know, if there's anything you know we can do, feel free to reach out anytime and hope talk to you, talk to you again soon.
Speaker 4: All right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, have a good night. Thank you everyone who joined us. We'll see you next Friday, or we'll see you before that. With my names