Speaker 1: Hello and welcome the Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark Underwater Ghost, Cello Hoffmeier and.
Speaker 2: I am Jay sandwich Bag Sweat Cluet. Welcome you board DeepC the Podcast. On this show, it.
Speaker 1: Never blows away, That never blows away.
Speaker 2: Not anchored by anything, never blows away and why should it? This is Deep the Podcast. On this show, We've been to the entire Deep Sea trilogy. Seen my scene. We do it again, but not today. Today we're looking at We're abandoning our year of reptiles once again for a new release. A new film, not a shock film, a killer whale film called Killer Whale? What is Killer Whale? Twenty twenty six film directed by joe Ane Breckins, starring Virginia Gardner and mel Johnson as a couple of estranged BFFs who who go on holiday vacation to Thailand where there's a Orca World World of Orca with a killer whale seed who it's just it's just eating too many people. It's just eating too many people.
Speaker 1: They've had enough of it, and trainers, trainers, everybody.
Speaker 2: Trainers who have never mentioned again. And it gets released at the same time as Maddie and Trish are out on a random jet ski in this cursed beach. It's cursed at all in the middle of nowhere and hilarity. It's used when it turns out the seed may believe that she is still in captivity because she's in the middle of this at all.
Speaker 1: Takes out, takes out of sea.
Speaker 2: Do what's the jet ski? This is just.
Speaker 1: So I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's c E t oh is how the whales name is is spelt, not how I wrote it down many times in my notes. Yeah, this is a new one. This is I write.
Speaker 1: I wrote like a C do, like a C E E d o, and then like the way that's wrong, and then I just put like cee do like it's a yeah a h O.
Speaker 2: Initially see hoe ho C toe C.
Speaker 1: Whale And then I read the review and I went, Okay, I get it. Yeah, but you know what's crazy. So I was reading about you know, killer whales or orca in captivity and they do go they they start harming themselves, they become violent.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They they have these routines where they chew on metal grates and they tear up their teeth, so they there's trauma, there's self mutilations of your aggress repetitive behavior. There their dorsal fins collapse, So it's they do experience psychosis and madness in captivity. And and so I think that's an interesting way. I think the center a plot around that's that's I feel like you could pack in a message there. But it's also quite interesting that that is what they're going for with Killer Whale. And it's not really explored, but it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yes, not really exploring things that I've got ideas is kind of the byline for this film. Because also we have our lead character, Matty Vintinia Gardner. She is is double opening double opening trauma in this film, during one of which one of which she is left hearing impaired. Yeah, and they they that kind of comes up with like when she gets near the whale, she gets like some interference with her hearing aid a few times with the echo location, and you think, oh, it's going to be some kind of method. We're going to use this to tell when the world's coming, or use it to tear the whale away, And they don't do that. That's not Yeah, that's not what happens. Like she has a hearing aid the battery runs out, that that the sound drops out at some point, you think always the rest of this film going to be in silence. No no is catailed initially immediately as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going to go into spoilers here, We're going to be we must so before we go into sports.
Speaker 2: Do we recommend the film? Do we recommend? Is Killer Whale? A film with that? You should if you're a fan of Deep with See and the kind of films we cover from the show, is kill a Whale? For you? What do you? What? Do you? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Mark uh Okay? I would say yes, because there's ghost Cellis Cello wists and the water. Trish is just Trish gets it. There's a jet ski. I think both Virginia Gardner, I mean, she's from Falls, she's good. Mel Jarnson was in Mortal Kombat, She's gonna be in Street Fighter. Good actors. I think the idea is good. I think the Killer Whale angle is good. Is does does this movie have green screen? That is wildly noticeable?
Speaker 2: Three sixty green screen showing a show in the what do they do? The avatar and cool?
Speaker 1: Oh? The the void not the void, the the not the purge. We'll get there. Uh, the extreme noes.
Speaker 2: I think it starts with me.
Speaker 1: The the wall of l l ed screens that are save you from using a lot of green screen because you know, but it looks you can. There's a scene where the three of them are on a jet ski together and you're going, oh boy, oh you know, oh boy. I get that this movie doesn't have the biggest budget, and I appreciate what they worked around. But there's a couple of scenes like Jesu Waits, it does make you appreciate the shallows more, much like Thrash makes you appreciate Crawl more. But I gotta tell you, Jay, this trauma in sharp volume.
Speaker 2: The volume.
Speaker 1: The volume is the volume, not the extreme. This the the Okay, so we've talked about shark movies, restalked just so many shark movies start with a traumatic event and then they aren't important later. These they are not important later. And then this one, Jay.
Speaker 2: That's one important one not important.
Speaker 1: Let's but let's talk about Trish.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Trish is a famous influence where the eight hundred and fifty eight hundred and fifty thousand followers.
Speaker 2: But working on her her science genetics degree of some kind.
Speaker 1: Yes, working on her science genetics degree. She needed money for her degree, so she hired a dude to go knock off a cafe. But I looked in the register and I took some photos. There's like three hundred bucks in that. Yeah, at Hill.
Speaker 2: Unless she had arranged for the guy to rob every every like store in town, every diner, every place that night, he's going on a spree.
Speaker 1: So he's gone. Yeah, she sent him there because that one lady wasn't supposed to be there. No one was supposed to get hurt.
Speaker 2: He wasn't supposed to have a gun.
Speaker 1: The back door was like unlocked. Yeah, he shouldn't have a gun. He shouldn't have taken her necklace. The boyfriend shouldn't have been at like super agro Bro if he just would have, if he just would have sat there. That guy wasn't gonna kill anybody. He did take off his mask, which is crazy, but okay, so right to pay off for school and PhD. She has a thief going rob a diner and they're gonna split the money. So she's gonna get a buck one hundred and fifty something like that. If he just doesn't blast out a town. So her plan is to knock off a diner make one hundred and fifty dollars to pay off for gigantic school loans.
Speaker 2: Correct, was it specified that it was to pay off her school loans.
Speaker 1: She's in debt, she needed money for something, and.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, one hundred and fifty dollars, it's gonna be better ways of making that money.
Speaker 1: She's worked like a bar, like a college bar or something that makes a lot of cash on two weekends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's like college kids splash their cash here, cash here because they don't want their parents seeing, you know that the credit card bills. You know what, like a lot of people spend their casher because they don't want their and to see that they spent it at h and ahe bar or shamoo bar. And and then that means there's twenty five dollars in cash because of this, and you go knock them off. That'll be easy. They just walk out like this. But then something happens and a big old you know, someone gets a boyfriend gets hit by a truck.
Speaker 2: So they should have had mad e v like working in a jewelry store or something like that where there's high high end ticket out items to steal and set on the black market, and that would you could see would be open. It wouldn't be open at night, I guess you wouldn't have like a late night bank or a late night jewelry store, late night bank, and it should be on our own in a bank. Yeah, it's tricky.
Speaker 1: No, how about this, At the end of every each week they take the money out of the safe and to put it in a a depart you know, they go deposit the money. Because when I was in high school, this is rare or no. When I was in college, I was dating this manager from Chuck E. Cheese and she had to go deliver a big deposit bag into a bank. And I went with her a couple times because she was just at night, not really digging the fact that they had to do that, you know. And at our theater you had to go drop the money off in a at a bank to deposit it for you know whatever, just to put it in the bank. But that's a lot of money to be bringing.
Speaker 2: To a bank.
Speaker 1: So something like that, I just don't understand the diner aspect of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean it makes sense. As for being a job that Maddie has while she's at college, that makes sense. But yeah, the fit being a successful robbery to pay off a student loan, No, doesn't doesn't compute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that's the problem with this movie because as soon as she explains the plan, I went, wait a second, and I went back and I looked at the money. That's not what you should be doing during a movie, is going Wait, she made like one hundred and fifty bucks. That's not a lot of money. No, Well, like she's smart. Tricia's getting her doctricious, very smart.
Speaker 2: And so says when they got because she's she's taken Maddie on the vacation. She's paid for all of it. She's got eight hundred and fifty thousand followers on social media, and Maddie is like cooled in sick. She still works at the diner. And they weren't at a post on social media, weren't a tric post on social media, and Tricias like now we should get you fired, we should get you fired. I'm never going to be poor again. She says, like way, hmmm, hard hard hard to like.
Speaker 1: Trish, Trish, Trish and then you get taken. But and then she makes it later on at the atoll and then she goes back in the water and gets eaten by a whale that can jump, you know, that has known for coming out of the water to get seals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's distressed by a plane. She's trying to yell at a Plane's gonna.
Speaker 1: Work now, listen. I think mel Johnson's good. I think Virgin Gardener. They do. And it's easy to see why they took this movie because it's the work is on them, like it's it's all on them. And also, you know, Joeann Breckon directed this. Cafro McPhee wrote it, so you know, I think they were really proud of the all like the all female team on the film, which is awesome. I mean. And you know what though, like if this is just a way to get a movie made, because this was in Australia. We talked about how Dangerous Animals was made. You know, Sean burn is a great director, but you need to have sharks to get a movie made. The Beasts of War. He's like, well, I can find the Beast of War, so we go make a shark movie and then what is it that I keep forgetting the name of the underwater truck robbery bull movie. Yeah, yeah that was made.
Speaker 2: Because what do you keep forgetting the name fair below market. It's so specific as to what that film is.
Speaker 1: I just like River Gold Robbery movie, y River Robbery, the shark River Robbery. Oh that's good, we need that. So yeah, that one. They were like, I just toss the shark in there, so I think they wanted to explore some things and then they're like, well, we can get a shark movie made. So I think it's better that they went out and made this movie. You know. Even even our guy from black Water like he he went, He's like, I can get these movies made. He's like, I would love to make a comedy or dark humor, but they won't fund it, so I can get alligator movies made. So I think, you know, he don't don't don't hate the player hit the game. So I think they're like, yeah, we can get this made. But when you listen, when you read the script, and you realize, like an opening minute, there's a weird old boyfriend who's super aggressive. Then he he gets his girlfriend, he destroys her, hearing permanently and then runs out on the road and then gets hit by a truck by a vengeful robber. He's just three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: He gets he said stood there for ages, giving the necklace back, and he gets the necklace back, and then they're still just stood there, and I get that both of them are like high on adrenaline at this situation and the ringing in their ears from the shotgun. But he just gets mowed down and no one sees the comment. He gets crazy. He gets meet Joe blacked right in front of her. I just want one, I guess. Yeah. He gets taken out from the side, and I was like, wow, hell yeah, And that's different. We don't we don't see that kind of thing like that. I thought the opening traule was going to be because she's a cellist, she's got a cell and then she had lost her hearing. That's the opening trauma, not like oh and also this guy not around anymore, And it comes like straight after the like opening trauma that doesn't really go anywhere, which is the dolphin the whale trainer in Na sea World yet like there on her own, she's been doing nights, she's been working every shift available. She's she's locking up. She goes to like say good night to the whale, and the whales not around anywhere. So what do you do? You get in the tank. Of course that's what you do. You can't see the whale from from on the side, so you get in the tank where your visit a t will be so much better. And then she gets heaten. Oh my gosh, I hate it's so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. None. And so I was reading interviews about this film before it was made, before I watched it, and I was like, oh man, they like went all out. They planned everything. They built us a toll. Everything's practical, they planned all the eye lines. None of that works. There scenes where like the characters are looking at two completely different things. Yep, and listen. They made the movie. They got experienced. It's awesome. But yeah, that opening scene, Jay, I'm like, what is this? Does this lady just like bone like when Mary and Courtyard gets her legs bitten off by a killer whale. Then she becomes a bare knuckle boxer promoter, Like that's the movie I want that didn't do this? Yeah, she's never mentioned again. The janitor just dies.
Speaker 2: Jay just dies, just reaching for a cup eating it's just trying to clean out the tank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, trainers died at this place, and you're just like mostiple this cup.
Speaker 2: The security guard cools up someone and it happened again. Not even there's another guy gone. So I'll get out of the fish.
Speaker 1: What does the guy say? He gets mad about it? Right, he goes. What does he yell again? Get rid of that damn fish? So he do they purposely drop it in? That a toll?
Speaker 2: I that's been dicks?
Speaker 1: What they so?
Speaker 2: This god knows he sees the people that have broken in and follows them. I'll teach these kids a lesson. I'll let their way out right where they are. I don't think so. I think it's that's just gotta be well pine. That's just got to be a fluke.
Speaker 1: But it's stuck in there, correct, Yes, so.
Speaker 2: I think it must have jumped in. It's gone over the perimeter. I'll keep on saying. And it's like stuck in there, and it thinks it's in a tank.
Speaker 1: How did it go? So it was in the open ocean. Yeah, it's by this point, it's psychotic, it's very aggressive, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's been in captivity for twenty years and it lost its calf two years ago. It's having a bad.
Speaker 1: Time, yeah, and it just gets stuck. And then these two ladies and a dude pop up and a seado.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they must have maybe it followed them, like followed the jet ski there?
Speaker 1: Did it jump into that? If it could get in? And can it get out? Knock get out?
Speaker 2: It can get out? But this is this is the it's not well established sides. There's no Yeah, they come up on a rock and you're thinking, oh, that rock's going to disappe it like the Shallows. Yeah, this is the Shallows too. This film is trying to be the Shallows too, and it fails. But I think the whale sees the jet ski, follows the jet ski, jumps into the into the enclosure after the jet ski into the perimeter sorry, and then thinks it's trapped in there because it's a phrased whale. I don't know, yeah, and then doesn't think you can get out because it's not used to being in the open ocean. It's what's the short sank thing. It's institutionalized.
Speaker 1: Who gets Brooks Brooks Brooks is himself Brooks is.
Speaker 2: But it's not Wait, no, it's not trapped because it is. No. Well, no, at the end, wayt spoilers right at the end that when the jetski crashes, that's inside the perimeter. Yeah yeah, so she goes down, she gets the bad She she like stabs the world and the eye down with the jets and then it just swims away. It just swims away.
Speaker 1: Where are these rocks from?
Speaker 2: There's a perimeter, but is the is the perimeter fully there underwater? It must be just.
Speaker 1: It's not just like the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, famously, rocks don't float. That's what they're known for. Uh huh. Yeah, this is we just needed that is not explained. Very few things are. So what bothered me about this film is it sets up as as you point out, it establishes like workers in captivity very bad, don't do it, they don't like it, not a good thing. And it establishes that Tito is a victim in all of this. No, she's been kept for twenty years, lost the calf, gone insane, so established that she is not not this She has become a mindless killer, but she's not like this monster, And so you feel sorry for the whale. You think watching it, I was thinking, how are they gonna land this plane, how are they gonna like get get out of this situation without just killing the whale because the whale is trying to kill them. They can't kill the whale because they've set the whole whole way up that it's it's not a monster, it's a victim. And so they they don't kill the killer whale. They stab the killer whale in the eye and then it swims away. But it's horrific. She really goes for it. You get whales of pain and whales. That was not intentional. I just felt so whales, the whale, whales, whale well well and just swims away, and I felt so bad for her. Well, I get it because she's already she's eaten. She's killed at least four people that we've seen in this film, many more prior to the events of this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably a customer a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a high turn I mean it's probably more staff because of the once you get closer, But that's a high turnover. You know, that's not good. That's that's poor employee retention. I think, yeah, yeah, it's not good. Not good. See, I wasn't satisfied with how with how the film dealt with the whale being a victim, but just like just stabby in the eye. It's fine, it's still alive, but it's it's life hasn't improved at all. It's gotten significantly worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now it's just psychotic and with one eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, psychotic, half blind out in the world, do it kill a whale? Two? Coming this next spring.
Speaker 1: I was holding that underwater Cello ghosts would come out and help.
Speaker 2: I was hoping at some point somebody would make an Orca Orchestra reference, but that also didn't happen.
Speaker 1: You know what's you know what's crazy too? Is all right, it's a fall, which was Virginia Gardner's. Then you realize that she was sleeping with her friends. Ah, what is it? She was sleeping with her friend's boyfriend for a while. Bait rules, Yeah, shark bait sleeping with boyfriend. Blackwater abyss sleeping with boyfriend pregnant. You know, Belius, Blackwater just has a pregnancy subplot and no cheating, which is refreshing.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's no bunch of anyway.
Speaker 1: So you know, the restock is good because it doesn't have a second half turn, which is kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: This is the craziest thing I've This is the craziest of all of them.
Speaker 2: Jay.
Speaker 1: It's not just like a cheating I slept at your boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I always his death for three hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: And you're just going, what like, she did not have to get that off her chest, Like, that's not that's not something you tell.
Speaker 2: Somebody or like, imagine, wait until you survived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, so you so you hired a guy to steal like one hundred and fifty bucks to pay massive loans and you split it with them.
Speaker 2: It worked. She hasn't got any debts anymore. She's and she's successful social media influence doing her degree. So this was the right decision to make. Evidently, it's if if she done that and then not gone jet skiing, then that's gold achievement were done. The mistake here wasn't the hiring the guy to pay it and it was going on there was taking a trying to make up for going on vacation. That's the mistake she made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like her guilt got to her. I guess, hey, I'm going to take you here to look at this whale.
Speaker 2: That your favorite whale that you and.
Speaker 1: Your boyfriend loved. You very aggressive. You're very aggressive boyfriend. I just want to get that out there, man. And then you have the kid from the Descendants riding jet skis around.
Speaker 2: That's who that is.
Speaker 1: And then he takes her phone. He's a stranger who takes a woman's phone away from her and hides it.
Speaker 2: And then somehow causes her to forget that it exists. At this phone is established anyway, I was thinking of a different de Descendants. I was thinking of that the George Cluney film. Ah, different thing. So, yeah, there's there's two phones in this one of them waterproof established early on, made a whole whole scene to say, this is a phone that is waterproof, she uses it all the time. And another phone not waterproof, in a plastic bag. One phone that is waterproof put in jet ski. Jet ski suck. The other phone not waterproof in a plastic bag. Lost, but bag important. So we have a phone is all in our mind because the bag is still here. But they forget the existence of the waterproof phone and the jet ski for an hour. That's an hour of film time. This is like two days of in movie time. And when they remember that the phone exists. It's so easy to get it's not a problem to get it at all. They just go and get it, and.
Speaker 1: Then they got it.
Speaker 2: This is a kind of film where a kind of script where like things are problems until the script needs them to happen, and it's not a problem anymore. It's all very possible. We can get there. Just gotta swim and yeah, there you're there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, phones down here anytime anybody else swims, it's horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And they're on a pizza float.
Speaker 2: They're an inflatable pizza which has a rope on it has a bit like a string. There's not tied to anything, but what it's like drifting away and getting tat despite not being tied to anything. And then the whale at one point is able to grab the rope and pull it hard enough that it rips it off of the inflatable and starts deflating it instead of just pulling the inflatable towards the whale. It it's again, it's magic. Plot is what do we need to seem to do in the plot, Well, that's what it's going to do. Bothered me. We like to be positive on this show. But these things all bothered me when I watched this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is an odd duck, this is an odd will.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the budget was for the film, but I think they did a good job. It's I'm guessing not huge. Ah.
Speaker 1: They got good actors though, that's the thing. Like, they got good actors who have been in some big properties.
Speaker 2: I like the Virginia Gardener in Full she was the influencer and now she's graduated to not being the influencer. In the film, she's the lead. That's I feel like that's the step up. So Mel Johnson, the next one of these she does, she won't be the influencer more, should be the lead.
Speaker 1: The next the next revival film. Yeah, I'm trying to research this movie too, but there's not much out there.
Speaker 2: It's hard to research because this is called kill a way.
Speaker 1: Because do you want to hear what I found?
Speaker 2: I'd love to please.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they shot it on a Brisbane soundstage. They the production design process began not with spectacle, but with clarity. They commissioned a detailed scale model. The I don't know, okay, they they commissioned a detailed scale so they want a clear vision of what they were making. So I know what, So if you're producing a movie with a very limited budget, it's smart doing what they did. So they commissioned a detailed scale model the atoll, creating a physical map that defined geography, distance, the sitelines, and character movement. The model became a constant reference point across departments, from stunts and visual effects to camera and production design, ensuring the spatial logic remain consistent throughout the film, which it doesn't that this thing is so deep and it differs in size, but whatever, only the elements the characters physically interact with would be built. Everything else would be extended digitally grounded in scans of the real sets. So then they allowed the team to work efficiently within an Australian budget while still delivering scale.
Speaker 2: The reasonult is with an Australian budget.
Speaker 1: That's what it says. The film is a film. The result is a film that privileges interaction over illusion. This film is shaped through a female gaze focused on agency, empathy and consequence rather than objectification.
Speaker 2: Although my wife did point out there was quite a lot of cleavid shots. When she pointed out, I was like, but it was written by a direct by a lady. It's okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like Shallows is less. It is like she because she starts, she goes surfing, right, yeah, and she has her top, but then she takes set off slowly to like tie up her wounds. So it makes sense why she does that, and I feel like it's less. Yes, you put a woman in a bikini for ninety minutes in a movie, it's a choice, but this one, I feel like there's a lot more butt shots than this one. And I'm not being weird. I watched this with Megan too, and like like she's like, well there's another one, and like like you're you know, like your wife said. So it's so I'm reading all this and like the thematic framing reflects a broader generational anxiety. Beneath the surface tension lie. Beneath the surface tension lies the story about powerlessness inherited crises and young people force to navigate disasters set in motion long before they arrived.
Speaker 2: Inherited crisies. Didn't inherit this crisis that's talking about the the whale, because like no, they calls they did it, They went there. They caused the friendship rift between them. Uh, I want to see this film that they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and imagine reading all this before you watch it. I was like, man, I'm pretty pumped this like I'm ready, I'm ready to rock. Because that's the one interview I found.
Speaker 2: I tried to lower your expectations with three Nights. Oof.
Speaker 1: That's it is oof because but you know, even in the trailer they show the the the underwater ghost cello player ghosts like this is odd, but cello's not even important. I don't even know why the cello subplot is in here.
Speaker 2: It's I think it's it's not like at some point in the script it was vital, and then through revisions it just became like, yeah, she's a cellist. And then it makes extra sad that she does her harry because she's she's musician and there's no famous musicians who were deaf, not not a one. I can't think of any Uh.
Speaker 1: She doesn't even play chords or anything during the movie to soothe the whale.
Speaker 2: No, she doesn't have a cello with us.
Speaker 1: Isn't a Bond film where they use a cello?
Speaker 2: They going to toboggan in a cello case in Oh God, I want to say that I don't manage the secret Service. I want to say, maybe don't.
Speaker 1: They don't even have this. They don't have a cello boat, which one has the cellist in it? Also Jay Trish, Hey you're grieving your boyfriend, let's go to this living Daylights there. That's the Dalton one, right, Yeah, yeah, he's with the cello lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did I think it was a different one.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: There's a toboggan as an actual tobogan, not a cello toboggan, and much secret service, whereas that it does has a cellow case toboggan.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's so many snow chases in that franchise, so.
Speaker 2: It's just, yes, too many. It's easy to.
Speaker 1: Mix them up. But okay, So Trisha's like, hey, we're going on vacation. I'm gonna get you fired from your job. We're gonna take a bunch of pills and we're just gonna on our first night there, we're gonna get pilled up and.
Speaker 2: Draw messed up, break into SeaWorld.
Speaker 1: Your next Like the rest of the trip's gonna be a nightmare because you're hungover in sunburn. Like, yeah, I get the urge, but like these also, you know, maybe it's just because of the age of the characters, but they're about thirty and so it's not in the.
Speaker 2: Movie they're supposed to be that's sposed to be like twenty two, I think, Yeah, but like.
Speaker 1: I guess since they're ball thirty, you're just there's like a weird disconnect. Like listen, I've gone to things before and just partied the first night and had it wrecked, but like I haven't.
Speaker 2: I never did that.
Speaker 1: Florida, So yeah, it's it's like it's just and then she hooks up with this dude and then they're like, hey, let's go jet ski and then I mean, it's a good plan, but.
Speaker 2: Just create this.
Speaker 1: It's they don't even mention how that the killer killer whale gets in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or how it gets out or where it goes off towards uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Tricia need to die because like Trisha made a jump for it, and then how do we kill her while she goes and stands in the water and gets.
Speaker 2: Eat I think given that she orchestrated straight the death of sorry, the death of Chad, she had to narratively morally be eaten by a whale. Yeah, I wish it was.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Jay, let's say the same thing happens to you and me, and you explain this. I'm like, okay, so Jay, you hired a random person.
Speaker 2: I thought there'd be more money there. I thought there'd be tens of thousands of pounds in this diner. In the twenty twenty popular diner, people go like students. I know it's prominent graduation. I know. I know that everyone in town has kids and they're all at this graduation ceremony. And the diner is going to make no money right now. That's why it's perfect time to rob it. But no one's going to be No one's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be Oh the guy shows up with this cap on, everyone's going to be here.
Speaker 1: Everyone's going to be here at the graduation. No one's going to be at this restaurant. And that's why everyone pre gamed. Everyone pre gamed at the diner. Everyone went and they got their evening meal. You know how you celebrate graduation at a diner. That's that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, he cap on, he's come, he's come from graduation wearing his cap on rope and then he gets killed in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't have to die a lot of car I remember my high school graduation. I went to Applebee's and I wore a short sleeved white shirt and you know, and you know since around the area there's a lot of scientologists and they wear like the white button up, short sh shirt. And my brother looked at me and he goes, you look like a scientologist. Like that's my one memory from my high school graduation set Applebee's and you look like it. I don't know why, but yeah, so but I didn't go to a diner jay, is what I'm saying. I went to like a pop in restaurant beforehand.
Speaker 2: I I don't My graduation was like during the day early, so I don't remember if we went. I know my granddad cried, is my memory of my graduation, because like the first person in my family to graduate from university, I got an award and he didn't know I was gontar he cried, So.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, we have such stories yea. But yeah, so it's like, hey, no one's going to be here, so let's rob it. And this is like a PhD candidate. I mean, I maybe don't have a lot of street smarts you have book smarts, but she also seems pretty savvy with things, but she is quite impulsive. Yeah, hey go rob my friend's diner when no one's there.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, we we have to get past that. It's not it doesn't it's not gonna make any sense. I can't fathom how it would like. It just doesn't work. It is.
Speaker 1: I will tell you, I was waiting for her to be like, I wanted you dead, so I hired a person to come rob, a person to kill you so that I could date your boyfriend.
Speaker 2: And now I brought you here to feed you to a whale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it's like, wait, you hired a hitman to come shoot me when I was working at the diner, but then you actually killed the person you were sleeping.
Speaker 2: With, and then you waited a year.
Speaker 1: Because the robber was actually in love with me with you, So it's like a weird triple cross. Now you're telling me this on a toll.
Speaker 2: Well, the whole plan was like the whole the hit was just out on Chad and he wasn't supposed to go to the diner. The guy was just supposed to kill Chad, and so the Chad went to the diner, and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna kill Chad. And the thing she's sorry for is the hearing loss.
Speaker 1: So she was gonna kill Chad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one knows, just Chad because Chad used to date Trish. Now he's don't Trish to go for Maddie, Chad.
Speaker 1: Chad's an angry fellow.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: An odd one. This is odd one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what though, I like Thrash, but it does make me appreciate Crawl more. And this movie makes me love the Shallows more.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yes, I feel like if we watch, if we want shocked, but again, we might appreciate this more. Whoa, Yeah, there's a chain of films.
Speaker 1: So and it ends with a great white but yeah, so we all right, But like Shallows, Blake Lively is just there with a bird and it's the tide is going up and down. She's timing things. There's other surfers, you steal stuff, there's people who come back the next day. Stephen, Stephen the seagull Like, there's there's a stitching scene, There's there's a narrative there. Also, the shark's there because of the way all carcass and she's there because she want to honor her mom's memory, and she stays out a little too late, Like that's you know what's kind of crazy is that doesn't seem hard to I haven't written anything, so I can't say anything. But it's like, hey, how is she on this beach? Well? Her and mom served that she wants honor her memory? Okay, how does she like sew up her stuff? She's a nursing student and she's on sabbatical. Okay, well is she there by herself while she's with a friend, But like, I don't know, her friend got drunk? Okay, well that's cool. What else is there? Like why is the shark there? Whale carct so they at least explain why she's on the rock.
Speaker 2: I feel like this film could be fixed, at least partially if they they show the whale jumping into the prom to get them and then show that it's don't tell us, show us that it's trapped in there, show it like circling and just being stuck in there, and then it ends not with it being stabbed in the eye, but with Maddie figuring out how to get Tito out of the perimeter, like using herself as bait or whatever to like, so it can free Willy over the over the rock and then it's out and it's free. And so the end of the film is Tito is out, hooray, Yeah, Trish died, Yeah, Josh died, Maddie scarred for life whatever, but she like, and the metaphor there is not only has Maddie freed Sito, she's freed herself from what was keeping her back and not graduating, not doing her shallow recital. This whole experience is freed, not just the whale but herself. That I feel like would work, But because we're missing seeing the whale going into the perimeter and out of the perimeter, two things that must have happened, but we are not sure. The swims off into the distance. We don't see it anymore. It just goes intil it can't and it's not that big of an adult. I feel like that.
Speaker 1: Would help the movie's crazy, because like.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the hearing had come into it, but that could be used some way, Like she can use the hearing aid and it's then she can embrace that new aspect of her life where she can't hear anymore. That's not going to hold her back. That's what's gonna help propeller forward somehow. I don't know. I haven't written the script, are in it, but that's where I would start trying to make this film better.
Speaker 1: And actors are good. Remember Rigidita Gardner and Halloween. She was like her and that little guy were like probably my favorite part. I don't really even like that movie, and I thought she was good, and they're good in Fall? Is she good in Fall?
Speaker 2: So this.
Speaker 1: I just don't get it. I mean, listen, a movie was made, people got paid well I'm rhyming, and we came up with the term of what what did you call it? Underwater? Wait river?
Speaker 2: I mean there are worse titles. There's like Ark the Shark and saw Women's Prison Massacre is the name of a film we haven't covered yet. You said, oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Uh you know what movie is rough when you go to like explain a plan and it takes twenty minutes, then you freeze halfway through it and you just you know. So on an episode of Movies from the Flicks with Norber, we were talking about Fled and every time I tried to explain the plot, I just stopped and I was like, gosh, this is crazy. I think the good I feel like even the movies that are really like Inception, you could probably explain that pretty quickly. They go to they go in as billionaires playing to praising idea. It's like a rob like it's like it's a heightst film but with memories whatever. So you can explain that. But when you try to explain this movie, which it.
Speaker 2: Should be a much simpler premise because it's just there's you know, it's a creature. I guess there's so many creature features, there's so many shock or well films to try and differentiate from each other. The way they do that is making the plot overly convoluted, maybe because like we've had you know, Jewels is very simple. There's a shark in the water. The town don't like it. Like the premise there is, there's a shark. It's a coastal town they make money from in the summer. There's a shark there in the summer. They want to get out of the shark. Very simple. Every film that's been made since then has to be a little bit more difficult, a little bit more complicated, Like even Jewels too, as a shark but also a regatta. Uh, and so it's it's little there's a shark there, but there's been a shark before, so they don't believe there's a shark there as much. And it's kids like Shark Jewels three put it's in sea world and a baby shark and yeah, that's that's getting more complicated because there's there's a baby shark and a shark and the baby shark is captured. But then tight and j got a Jaw's revenge Jos four is so simple, so straight forward as a shark. Its vengeful after this family. It was the killeryone in this family. Why, I don't know. Is it the same shock from the first film? No? Relative unclear, It's it follows them across the world to try and kill. Films just get more complicated, trying to be less like Jaws. I guess. So I mean what I was less to less complicated than like Chews of Revenge?
Speaker 1: Why does it need trauma?
Speaker 2: They always need? They don't need it, but it establishes a horror film.
Speaker 1: Why in the restock does her sister have to get murdered by her boyfriend really doesn't like? What does that do when you're fighting a shark.
Speaker 2: A it. It adds nothing to it doesn't. It's not related to being a shark film. It's just a gut punch. It's just you're watching it it. Yeah, that would be shocking in any film. I feel like any any film where like the characters were having a fun time and then the next scene one of them is is a victim of domestic abuse. There's no film like, Yeah, that makes sense. That's not Jerry.
Speaker 1: Why did she have to set up a robbery? Jay?
Speaker 2: I got nothing market. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: This atoll arises when the water is at a certain point. These rocks will be covered soon, so it's a ticking clock to get to the jet ski.
Speaker 2: To get over two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to right, Let's go from the rock to another rock to the jet ski and let's work our way. We got to get to the jet ski because we could drive away on it.
Speaker 2: The phones in it, Yeah, the phones in it, the phones in it.
Speaker 1: And then that gets wiped out and then you drive it and then you get on this but guess what, the water singings, what do we do? That'd be amazing if at the end of it, the atoll gets completely you know, submerged, and then the whales swims away.
Speaker 2: I just I also love that it's cursed. It's a cursed beach. It's a curse the toll, Like some stuff happened there, we don't know what, but it's cursed. A great okay.
Speaker 1: And then at the end, does she played cello again or she playing imagine that in her head?
Speaker 2: I think it was because it's cut between she's being airlifted out on the helicopter and then you see her playing the cello with one empty seat in the audience, and like, is that empty seat for Trish or for Chad, which one of the two people she's lost as such? Is that one seat for and because one of them was supportive and gave her a cello necklace that almost killed her underwater? Uh? Yeah. I choose to believe that she makes it back and does play the yellow because that's a happier ending rather than just she's imagining it. And the empty emptc is of course for chat because Trisha killed him unintentionally, but still of the two, and she goes to the murder victim rather than the murderer, we're accomplice. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Huh, how hard is it? You're just you're it's a good plot. Why do you need that? It's not even that important because then they're like they're kind of getting each other's backs.
Speaker 2: It's just something like dramatic tensions because there's not a lot of whale in the film, so you got to fill it with something else.
Speaker 1: But to be fair too, like the Edge, they go on a plane trip, but Baldwin's sleeping with Anthony Hopkins's wife, and so there's tension there.
Speaker 2: Why save that from Mamma Weir?
Speaker 1: Why? I don't know. The Crawl doesn't have that, Like there's some estrangement, but they start working together and there's.
Speaker 2: A lot more there's a lot more gator in Crawl than there is whale in Killer Whale.
Speaker 1: And I know, and don't get me started, Like that movie has like a thirteen million dollar budget, so it's not big.
Speaker 2: That's probably more than this film. Mat Yeah, that's true, I guess, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's an odd it's an odd one. Actors are good.
Speaker 2: What should this film have been called? Other than Killer Whale? Kill a Whale is a lazy title.
Speaker 1: It should be called The bull Shark River robbery. Wait, what is it?
Speaker 2: But yeah, river robbery.
Speaker 1: H Cello. The Whaling.
Speaker 2: I reviewed this simplue print review and I used the term bad friend mammoth mammalian marine mama. That's the term I used to describe the whale. This movie's crazy. Sorry mammoth what mammoth mammalian marine mama. I don't know why I did that, but it made me laugh, so I kept it in.
Speaker 1: That's all you gotta do, Jay, and here we are and here we are.
Speaker 2: So do you think that the characters in Killer Whale are deeper than those in deepsy Well.
Speaker 1: I think this movie is deeper in general because of the issue how it tackles it doesn't but the themes of Killer Whale is going insane. I think that's an interesting idea, and it's deeper. Deep Blue Sea doesn't have much depth, so I think the idea of a real life situation is very interesting. So I'm saying it's a little deeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think there is more character back story here in Deep we don't have a lot of you know, Carter and Susan haven't gone on a date. That's kind of the history that we have in Pussy. Yeah. I agree, Okay, bluer? Are they? Are they sadder than Deepussy? I feel like Maddie isn't living a happy life. She's living quite a sad life. Yeah, it's taken quite and the other way.
Speaker 1: The circumstances are quite set. She kills her boyfriend and then she takes her on a trip where she's probably gonna die.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, she's been living with that guilt for a year. Uh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think these characters, these characters don't really register as like cellist or anything, So I'm not going to say it's bluer, Okay, Like I think when Janice is depressed about Whitlock dying and like that hits hard, like this one doesn't have any of that.
Speaker 2: Is that the unhappiest moment Inde Bussy is Yeah? I think so? Yeah. When the when the door shuts and she whales, she whales? Are they more sorry? They're more lost here? I think? Yeah, because they don't really know where they are. Josh knew where they were. Josh died, Yeah, Josh did dead.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, and when you know, when when she lies, when she reveals the truth, she's kind of just lost, you know, what I mean, she's like and she loses her compass and a friend.
Speaker 2: So and listeners, If this is your first time listening to this show, welcome, because this is deep. We see the podcast every time we cover a new film, I go through and I watch it again and determine how deep all the action takes place at, how blue everything on the screen is, and how much of it takes place at sea. Deep with sea is, of course, on average, approximately fourteen and a half meters of forty seven and a half feet deep, thirty percent blue, and about eighty nine percent of it takes place at sea. Mark. Do you think Killer Whale is deeper, bluer, and more at sea than deep?
Speaker 1: We see no, yes, no.
Speaker 2: Right, we've been doing this too long, so in terms of depth, it's pretty much all on the surface. They go under a little bit, they go up a little bit. As this works out, being point one nine four meters, I've got to be that specific ero point six four feet up in the air. I've got to be that specific because that is one millimeter higher than Orca, the other killer whale film we've done, oh man, the only other killer whale film we've done. They are next to each other. This is now seventy first in the ranking, and Orca is seventieth and it is a couple of centimeters lower than the Racan or from below the Racken Racan. We never quite good to have that.
Speaker 1: Movie is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. Blueness, It is blue and deeper. Seed is fifty three point nine percent blue, so it is bluer than the last Shark, less blue than Avatar The Way of Water. It is eleventh in our blue ranking, so very blue, very blue, given that we've done a hundred and fifty nine films at this point. Wow, and see it is at sea quite a bit, but not as much as you see A sixty one point three percent of it is at sea, which is so it's more at sea than Shark Attack three Megalodon and less at sea. It's next to it again, doesn't see an Orca aucus sixty three point three three, so it's adjacent to Walker in two different columns on our graph twenty first film at sea on the ranking. That's that's Killer Whale. As I said, I have reviewed it over at Blueprint Review. If you want to read some of these thoughts as well as having listened to them go do that over at Blueprint review dot co dot UK. Mark, do you have anything you're a plug?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yeah, got a good movie. I did a thing for Chase Serrano and then movie songs and flicks podcast.
Speaker 2: Nice is it? And you can follow this show all over social media at deep Blue Sea pod or email us deep Pod at gmail not at gmail dot com. Next week, wouldn't you know it's a chapter on deep the Shark blows up. We've got to the sharp Bloor. That's a fun episode. Simon Apleton back as a guest on that one. We had a fun time with him. To come back next week for that, and then we're back to reptiles the week after. And who knows, Deep Water might get UK released at some point and then we'll cover it then. Still waiting, ready, still waiting. But as for look, I want to see the film, Mark, let me see this film.
Speaker 1: I love at the end when I.
Speaker 2: Would be so annoyed it's been out for like three weeks or something. Anyway, I'll see it sometimes hopefully so Yeah. But as for Killer Whale, I have been Jake Lute.
Speaker 1: And I'm a calf fire.
Speaker 2: I will Deep Blue see you next week