Speaker 1: This is just a bonus broadcast this week runs about twenty minutes with a very special guest from f fr F and Joy.
Speaker 2: The Thinking Atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 3: The population of atheists this country is going through.
Speaker 2: The rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not.
Speaker 1: Because I put my hand on a book and made a wish.
Speaker 2: And working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 1: Take the risk of thinking, feel so much more happiness. Truth Fusian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 2: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast, hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 1: Did you know that there are blasphemy laws on the books in this country? Now? I always think about like the blue laws. You know, you can't have an ice cream cone in your pocket on a Sunday and stuff like that, and you know, the more benign stuff that doesn't really get noticed. But no, no, there are actual blasphemy laws. This is not an Islamic state. This is the United States. Wait a minute, I'm going to talk about this and a whole lot more with a friend of mine and somebody who is the regional government Affairs manager at FFRAF, the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Hey, Mickey Dollins, good to see you, Mickey.
Speaker 3: Seth, great to be on the show.
Speaker 1: Tell me what a regional government Affairs manager is and does, would you?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure many people are familiar with Freedom from Religion Foundations work. We work to educate society on nontheistic issues. We uphold the constitutional principle of the separation of state and church. And on the C four side, the policy team that I'm part of, we advocate for commis sence legislation. We're actually on the offense of this year, and we also fight a ton of bad legislation.
Speaker 3: Seth.
Speaker 4: I know, being from Oklahoma, you're very familiar with all the bad theocratic legislation. But it's not just here, it's across the entire nation.
Speaker 1: Yea, my home state like Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana and others are just constantly trying to ram the Ten Commandments into public institutions. And so if they get defeated, then they go back and they kind of rewrite the proposal or bill and try again and try again.
Speaker 3: Just will not go away.
Speaker 1: I know FLFRAF has been involved in some of the Ten Commandment stuff, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: Ten Commandments is a popular one. Inserting school chaplains and replacement of trained mental health professionals is a big one. But what this ultimately gets at is chipping away long established Supreme Court ruling centered around the Establishment Clause. And so in a proactive way, we've taken an offensive approach in codifying those long standing Supreme Court precedents centered around the Establishment Clause, and we've written a piece of legislation that would codify those into state law.
Speaker 1: The establishment clause. Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of Christian nationalists like to grab the free exercise. Well, we're free then to have a Christian nation. It's a weird bending. I know Andrew Seidel, constitutional attorney, has done a lot of writing about this kind of thing. You've probably heard that as well, Like the free exercise means, hey, if all of our politicians or most of them profess Christianity, then we're Christian.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that seems to be the talking points going around, especially a lot of red states. For example, there's a handful of states that have resolutions that declare their state is under the kingship of Jesus Christ, that they derive their moralities from the New Testament. Unfortunately, this is exclusionary to not just people with minority religions, but those who have no faith at all, who do not practice a religion, who are non religious, which is about one third of the total population of America. And so we know that the best way to protect people's religious freedoms is to keep government out of religion and religion out of government. And we have an incredibly talented staff across the board at FFRF who help uphold those constitutional principles.
Speaker 1: It's always fun to talk about the Ten Commandments in this Christian nationalist notion that they belong in our public institutions. And so are you like, fine, okay, well off the cough. Can you name them? And statistically most believers can't name even so I think it's mostly about marketing territory. Tell me about k pop. What in the world is k pop? What's that about?
Speaker 4: We created k pop, which is an acronym for keep proselytizing out of public schools. And this is really unique in that we're taking an offensive approach, and this is a collaborative effort with the American Atheist and the American Humanists Association, and we wanted to be able to present lawmakers an opportunity to uphold Supreme Court precedent centered around the Establishment Clause to protect religious neutrality in government, especially in public schools.
Speaker 1: Some of these attempts are pretty sneaky. I'm a big fan of Katherine Stewart, journalist and author, and she wrote about the Good News clubs that were around years and years ago, and where they kind of sneak in and say, hey, kids, we've got some fun stuff going on after school, and the parents had no idea that beneath all the fun and activity and coloring books and snacks and everything else, there was a Christian nationalist agenda. I'm guessing you I know FFRF has, but I'm speaking to you personally. You've seen some of these I'll call them shady. I mean, they're not exactly fourth right. In some cases, they're just kind of sneaking and saying, hey, this will be great for the kids.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Every year, there are hundreds of theocratic bills that are introduced in states around the country, and I'd say about seventy percent of those are focused at the elementary and school aged level. The reason being because children are young, impressionable, and they have vulnerable minds, and they assume that if they can indoctrinate them at a young age, then they can force upon them a very narrow religious perspective that's rooted in Christian nationalism.
Speaker 1: Do you probably saw the recent headlines about the National Prayer Breakfast, which why is our government hosting? You know, why for decades has the United States had a National Prayer Breakfast? And of course they're not doing Islamic prayers or Hindu prayers. It's always, you know, Christian prayers. And then Trump weaponizes it to essentially go after his political enemies. I mean a lot of I mean a lot of people say, can you talk religion instead of politics? But the two you cannot extricate them. Right, if you're talking about religion, certainly Christian nationalism, you're talking politics, right.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: And Mark dan is FFRF's federal policy director, and he did an incredible job of leading faith coalitions and non religious coalitions into signing on to a letter that really laid out what the National Prayer Breakfast has become, which is a platform for maga Christianity to basically give Trump an additional platform to talk just about everything except the fundamentals of Christianity.
Speaker 3: We heard some remarks in.
Speaker 4: That he said he quote couldn't see how anyone could call themselves a democrat and be a Christian and YadA YadA, And so we were very successful in getting a lot of congressional members to not attend the Prayer Breakfast. We worked close with Congressman Jared Huffman, who did a great job in explaining why this isn't a traditional faith based initiative, but more so of a political ideology that's been weaponized to amplify megapolitics.
Speaker 3: And so we are.
Speaker 4: Seeing the we're seeing the enrollment and the attendance for that drop off because people.
Speaker 3: Are becoming aware of what it really is. And we were happy to see that maybe one day it.
Speaker 1: Will be like the Milania movie and be a few people who go and.
Speaker 4: Or people are on Craigslist pay others fifty dollars to attend the National Prayer Breakfast.
Speaker 1: Fail at the box. Let the Prayer Breakfast fail at the box. Office. That's all. That's all I'm saying. I want to get into trying to protect children from anti science, anti vax you know, the anti medice and initiatives that are going on. Can you. I mean, tell me about some of the politicians at whatever level, local, state, federal, who are on the front lines for secular activism. I'm always seeing Jamie Raskin out there, but I mean, are there some people out there who have impressed you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: There are so many secular lawmakers are becoming more and more outspoken. At the congressional level, we have the Freethought Caucus that continues to grow, and they're elevating their platform to raise serious concerns. Many states still have religious exemptions for child protection laws, and we believe that religious beliefs does not override a child's right to safety and health. And that's why we've authored the CHARM Act. It stands for Children Have a Right to Medicine Act, and this bill would repeal those religious exemptions for parents who don't get the necessary medical treatment for their children when they're sick. For example, there was a case innic Wisconsin in two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Eight where a child had diabetes.
Speaker 4: The family refused to get medical treatment because their congregation at their church was praying the diabetes away, and unfortunately, that little girl passed away. And that's just one of many, many examples that we have, these just terrible tragedies where children aren't getting the right to medicine, they're not getting the treatment they need because of because of religious beliefs, and the parents who fail to get their children the treatment are exempted from any type of penalty or law because of the religious exemptions.
Speaker 3: And we want to repeal that.
Speaker 4: We want to make sure that first and foremost children have access to health and that they can stay safe even in religious environments.
Speaker 1: I'll continue with Mickey Dollins, the Regional Government Affairs manager for the Freedom from Religion Foundation. To second, I appreciate you listening so very much. I continue speaking here with Mickey Dollands is the regional Government Affairs manager for the Freedom From Religion Foundation. I mentioned at the beginning of the conversation blasphemy laws, so we should talk about that now. I used to think this was just blue law stuff tucked away ignored.
Speaker 4: No, Mickey, well, first, so everyone's aware of blasphemy is when someone is critical or disrespectful of one's religion or someone's deity, and in other countries this is punishable by death. We've been working with the ex Muslims of North America to get lawmakers to repeal the five remaining blasphemy laws on the books in the United States of America. You may wonder, like, why are these still around? Well, I think Salem, Massachusetts back during the witch trials. Back then, blasphemy was punishable by a hot iron rod stuck straight through the tongue. At one point, it was punishable by drowning, of course, and so while it's unenforceable today, it is still symbolic, especially for people who are members of ex Muslims of North America, who let many who have escaped countries where they could be punished by death for being blasphemous. You look at this state of politics now and you say, hey, we still have blasphemy laws on the books in five states. We don't want to go down that road. So it's best it's just to get them repealed right off the books.
Speaker 1: I'm reminded of the license plate controversies. Wasn't all that long ago somebody wanted to put atheist or godless or something on a license plate, and they were rejected, and it became like this big, big thing you're talking about blasphemy, you know, with Trump's memorandum saying that they were going to go after anybody in anything that was anti Christian, anti American, anti capitalists. So I guess Jesus is a free market capitalist. But I'm like, okay, well, what's anti Christian mean? Doesn't mean anybody critical of Christianity because that includes moderate progressive Christians going after Christian nationalism. Right, So this I don't know if it's legally enforceable, but it certainly sets the tone anti American, anti capitalist, anti Christian.
Speaker 3: Could be me right exactly. An ambiguity is the point.
Speaker 4: The idea is to chill free speech, to make people less braverable to be outspoken. And you do that by putting out these ambiguous executive orders that no one can really pin down, but they could use them in any way they want if the circumstance.
Speaker 1: Arise, Anything else on your plate before I direct everybody, because I want them to support FFRF and these initiatives as well, But anything else that we need to know about, at least here on the front.
Speaker 4: Well, the Great thing about the k Pop Act or the Student Cycler Bill of Rights and the CHARM Act Children have a Right to Medicine is that this is model legislation. And for anyone who's listening to this, you have a state senator, you have a state representative, reach out to us at f frfaction dot org. We can connect you with the model language. We can give you our toolkits that will assist your lawmakers in introducing this language. And we will be better off by having these Supreme Court precedents codified in the state law. So unfortunately, in the kind of likely event that they are overturned or continue to be chopped away at you will in your state retain those religious freedoms and protections at the state level. So reach out to us at f frfaction dot org. We'd love to give you the toolkits and assist your lawmakers in introducing this legislation.
Speaker 1: I read an article recently about how autocrats and oligarchs and even tyrants will sometimes provide a way for people to rant and be exasperated social media. I guess, but they lock off their opportunities to actually affect change.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, let them whine and that'll keep them busy and then will actually lock off any opportunities for them to affect positive change, to resist. And yet FFRF is providing an avenue for that. So instead of just sitting around cursing the darkness, wondering how bad it's going to get, we have to get in the game. We have to reach out, We have to engage our elected officials. So I know some people who are even running for office. This has motivated them. You've probably seen that as well. You've seen a lot of folks who've been watching the news and they decided, screw this, I'm going.
Speaker 4: To get in the game right absolutely, and I would encourage many secular people to also run for office.
Speaker 3: In states like Oklahoma and Texas.
Speaker 4: Many may assume just because they're non religious, they're automatically disqualified from being a competitor for public office. That's absolutely not true. Your constituents are going to care more about how hard you work for them during the week than what you do on Sunday morning. And so if you want to run for office, you definitely should. If you just want to advocate, keep calling, keep emailing. You've seen how this is making a difference, so continue speaking up. If you live near a capital, you can attend committee hearings, you can testify, live in some states. There's so many opportunities for you to use your voice. And that's why we wanted to empower you with these model legislations that you can take to your state elected's and ask them to pass, and we will be right there to help you every step of the way.
Speaker 1: Hey, I know we're supposed to be done, but I got to ask this cynical question. Does it make a difference now if I write a letter or make a phone call? Don't they have some menion and they're like, okay, thanks for all and click and then they just go do whatever they want to do anyway.
Speaker 4: You know a lot of people think that, and there are some lawmakers who are going to ignore it. But I have people that I have talked to in the past who have just been very consistent and reaching out to those lawmakers, having in person meetings, calling and hey, if ultimately you continue to get a brick wall, you may be the one to run against them. So and also I would differentiate between the federal level and the state level. There's so many bad things happening at the federal level. And yes, you can should continue to call your congress person and you're us senator, but do not neglect what's happening at your own state level, in your own local municipality, at your own school board, because that's a great place not only to start if you're going to run for office, but also in a great place to start when reaching out to those who are elected, to amplify your voice, to be your voice in the decision making process. And at the state level, it's much more easy to get in person meetings, meet at a diner, you can meet at a coffee shop, or even at their office. But don't give up. We've got a lot of resources at f frf Action dot org that can help you and assist you in being effective when it comes to reaching out to your lawmakers.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up the school boards. There's a concentrated effort to actually stack the school boards with Christian nationalists. They are well funded organizations doing that. So becoming a member of a school board, I mean that's fantastic. Mickey Dolland's regional government Affairs manager for fr F and the f FRF Action Fund f fr Faction dot Org. I'd say you're doing the Lord's work. But I don't think that's how I want to phrase that, Mickey. But it's been a joy to speak to you and I appreciate you being out there fighting the good fight.
Speaker 3: Man, you too, Seth. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Follow The Thinking Atheist on Facebook and Twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and videos, products like mugs and t shirts featuring the Thinking Atheist logo, links to atheist pages and resources, and details on upcoming free thought events and conventions. Log onto our website, The Thinkingatheist dot com.