Speaker 1: The right quist.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition scam is back.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is sas and cakes in.
Speaker 3: The a APPA go with Proway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now while the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Yankees have hit back, punch the Dodgers in the mouth, and now the Dodgers need to win Game five tonight to close out this Best is seven twenty twenty four world with a three games to one lead going into night's game. From the Bronx, Tim Kates, Steve saxon you on this Wednesday morning, October thirtieth, Thanks for being with us here on your home with the Dodgers and five seventy LA Sports. Dodgers had a chance to close out the World Series with the sweep last night. But you knew the Yankees weren't gonna go without a fight, and that's acts exactly what they did. Anthony vulbe a grand slamm of five run eighth inning. They busted it open late in the game and the Yankees win Game four last night in Yankee Stadium. Eleven to four is the final, and the Dodgers now a Game five tonights with Jack Felherty on the mound going up against Orange Lutherans. Garrett Cole, who got to start in Game one pitch well against the Dodgers, and now we'll get to start in Game five tonight for the Yankee Saxon Kate's brought to you by Chef mourto season the seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's party time and World Series time, so bring out the chef in you. Looking more and more at these two knucklehead fans in the right field corner that interfered with Mookie Betts last night on a catch carry the fan in the home Yankees pinstripe jersey holding mookie Best right wrist while the other fan is taking the ball out of Mooky's glove. On his left hand. Both of them got kicked out. The fan in the glasses in the home jersey grabbing and holding onto Mooky's right wrist. He should be prosecuted. I would have.
Speaker 4: I would have grabbed he was grabbing his right wrist. Yeah, I would have shed that and grabbed his shirt and yanked him down on the field and exposed him. I mean, he grabbed you. Let's let's find out. Let me grab you. Now, you know I would have. I would have done that, But that's me, and that's probably what I shouldn't have done. I would have regretted it later, you know. You know, MOOKI handled it much better than I would have he did. I would have taken that. For one second, you're grabbing the ball out of my hand and then you're grabbing my hand right. No, you're not grabbing my hand, dude, No, nope, No, you're getting You're You're gonna come down here with me if you want to start grabbing people.
Speaker 1: Mookie, come right down here. Handed it beautifully. They were kicked out of the game. But the more and more I sit here and I tweeted out the picture for our show teas here on say, some scam and I look at the the one fan grabbing the ball out of the glove while the other fan assisted him by holding the right wrist. I mean, we have no right to do that. No, you can't hold on and grab a man like that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: You know what they said too. They interviewed did the chump and he said, yeah, we got kicked out of the game. He said, this is this is my area, and I patrol this part of the wall like you're some landowner whatever, okay, And he says, you were. We're out. We got kicked out. I knew it was gonna happen. But they said we can come back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: No, they said the chumps are going to come back to Ma that we got to get somebody with the camera on these fools and see if they're really in the game.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think I think somebody should visit them tomorrow or tonight if they're back at game five and yeah, you know, hello to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's a nice little hello.
Speaker 1: It's inexcusable for fan to do that, it really is. It's one thing to grab for the ball, and you can.
Speaker 4: Say what you want within reason. You have a great time yell at him and do all that. That's great, right, that's fine.
Speaker 1: But if a ball is there along the fence and you want to grab and try to grab the ball get out of there. No, I mean, I'm okay if you're going to try to get it if it's into the stands and once it's in his glove though, no, And once it's in the glove like that, and you're trying to grab it out of the glove, like, what are you going to think?
Speaker 4: It was? It almost almost like a tag team because the one guy, the one guy's grabbing his hand, his right hand, and the other guy's got the glove prying open, reaching in and grabbing the ball. After MOOKI clearly caught the ball, all right, and the guy's doing this. Yeah, I'm raving mad. Now I'm tipped off.
Speaker 1: It felt exactly like a WWE style move, like, oh, the referees distract it over here. Meanwhile, Bobby the brain Heenan's over here trying to get the ball out of Mookie. That's his glove while we're penning him down and nobody's gonna see it. The fans are all upset, but the referee doesn't see what's happening.
Speaker 4: Doesn't see it, and there's no tag. They just double team on him, you know what I mean. So I look, Mookie's got the you know, the glove, He's got the ball in the glove. You got the chump reaching in the glove. Then you got the other guy grabbing the hand. I would have just I would have just grabbed that guy's jersey and yanked him right down onto the field and say, well, you know he he wanted to grab, so let's grab you know, come on down here. That's what he should have done, SAXI.
Speaker 1: I like to believe if that was the case and I was there, I'd be over the railing and I'd be high need it down to help you out. I wouldn't have your back of a thousand not need any help with him, I promise, not at all.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: The more and more I think about this, it's ticking me off.
Speaker 4: It ticks me off too to think that they had the audacity, but the absolute gall to reach into the glove. Who do you think you are? I mean that the man's trying to work. Mooki's doing his.
Speaker 1: Job and the other brothers grabbing the.
Speaker 4: Ris are they are? They?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 4: They're not brothers. One's John Peter, and what's the other guy's name, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's got some Italian last name. Yeah, it's always an Italian dude, you know, you Italian sacks.
Speaker 4: He darn it, I know. And they're they're I don't know. This is not representative of the Italian nation.
Speaker 1: We love your piens on your pasta, but come on, end up with the Shenanigans already.
Speaker 4: Don't grab my man's hand. Okay, that's just not fair. Now, unreal.
Speaker 1: I see this and I'm getting my blood is boiling. Okay.
Speaker 4: I don't think most of the Yankee fans like what he did either.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope not.
Speaker 4: I don't think they liked it at all.
Speaker 1: I mean I did see a video the guy's being escorted out, and some of the fans were like high fiving them and excited about.
Speaker 4: It, which I why not counting to this. I think most of the people are like, hey, dude, get out of the man's way. Okay, really, you're gonna reach in and grab the ball out, Yeah, that's funny. Note it's not funny. It's not funny, and MOOKI could have been hurt.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. What if he grabbed he grabbed his wrist. What if he squeezes and poles and twist his wrist.
Speaker 4: What wasn't Mookie like off the ground, he was like reaching in off the ground making that catch, and the guy's grabbing What if he like broke his finger or something.
Speaker 1: Percent?
Speaker 4: You don't grab a player, Come on, really.
Speaker 1: Now here, here's the other side of this is I'm like, where the teammates, where are the other Dodger of players to go over there? You know, start hard.
Speaker 4: So it happened so fast. I don't even think they realized it. I don't even think they realized it was happening until MOOKI kind of screamed at him, yeah, which which was good. But but uh, you know, if he could have just grabbed that guys, I shouldn't say that. That's terrible, but that's what I would have done. I mean, I mean, you're grabbing my hand. Come on, now, this has taken me off. This is a fight. This is a street fight now between the Dodgers and the Yankees. You want to start pulling on Mookie bets wrists, you want to start assaulting him down the right field line. We got ourselves a fight now between LA and New York. Yeah, you can't be grabbing on anybody. And you know.
Speaker 1: Nobody grabs Mookie's wrists like that.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh no, we don't put up with that. No way, no way. You don't grab our team, no chance. Now I've done, Dave Roberts. That's the speech I'm giving.
Speaker 1: I'm postering this picture up everywhere, on the bulletin boards and the lockers. I'm putting it on the led screens that they all have. Now that's what I'm doing. They're watching replay after replay of Mookie being assaulted down the right field line. We're not gonna put up with that here at Yankee Stadium. That's right here. In the media, we can, you know, stir all this stuff up. But you know, in the clubhouse, they want to forget it. No, don't forget it, get it. It's a rallying cry.
Speaker 4: I don't think the Dodgers need that. They don't need a rallying I mean, you and me love it, But I think in the clubhouse, you know, you know what he's probably saying. I would venture to say that Mookie's having private conversations with his players and say man, I'd like to jack that dude up. I'd like to just give him a good short right hand and drop him. I mean, I bet you he's probably thinking that, but outwardly, Nope, it's okay, no problem. We're gonna move on and uh, we're gonna win tonight. That's it.
Speaker 1: No, I want Dave Roberts on a stool like William Wallis, William Wallas and Braveheart saying they'll they'll never take of freedom.
Speaker 4: What do you think Lesorda would have done on this case? He thought what he would do, well, he probably would have been so ticked off in the clubhouse. He would have probably been, you know, shouting every expletive you can possibly think, maybe even took his shirt off in front of everybody, got on the stool and let the jelly show begin. I'm serious, yelling, Cale, can you do that to our team? Look at Mookie's out there trying to make a living, and you go out there and then hibit him and grab him and turn him and twist his arm. And meanwhile, the depasta's coming out from earlier. You know, it's going everywhere. People are guarding their faces, the jelly's shaken from the body, That's what Tommy would have done, and everybody would have been like, yes, yes, yes, yes, they would have loved it.
Speaker 1: We would have dug that they love it. I love it. We need to get Tommy's spirit there to inside that Dodger's clubhouse to get these guys fired up.
Speaker 4: He used this stuff big time. I mean, you can go back. We don't have to get into it, but you know the instances where Tommy's used what somebody said or somebody did and he turned that into a tornado.
Speaker 1: I love it. You need that. It's called motivation. And you're one went away from a World Series. You need a little motivation. You got hit in the mouth by the Yankees last night. How are you gonna fight back?
Speaker 4: Then you get then you have to go down and to the low life and have somebody grabbing your teammate. Oh that would tick me off. I mean, don't grab my buddy.
Speaker 1: I don't know if Joe Kelly's with the team or not, but I know fighting Joe Kelly from the nine oh nine, I know, I know Joe Kelly would not have put up with that. Maybe he was there, maybe he didn't see it, But if Joe Kelly was there, I'd have to believe Joe Kelly would be right there saying, come on.
Speaker 4: You can't have the funniest thing when he when he did that with his lip or towards absolutely brilliant. Joe Kelly, don't care. He's in the nine to nine. They don't care out there, Joe Kelly, Wayne about you know a buck seventy. He didn't care.
Speaker 1: I loved it, speaking of the nine on nine squat to Ontario, John, you don't care. You guys don't care out there.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, the hell no, we don't care. We just want to win.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey guys, quick, two quick points. Today's body or yesterday's body language didn't feel like the Dodgers. I mean, even though we want to win, they wanted to win. It felt like they had some good command as far as a three zip lead. So I was like, it didn't feel like Dave Roberts put all his chips to win that game. I mean, that's the honest truth. But today, especially after what happened to Mookie, I just want to we just want to win and just get it over with. Anyways, your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: All right, John, appreciate it. Yeah, But we talked about how it was a wait and see approach from Dave Roberts, and he talked about that before the game. Wasn't a secret the Dodger players knew that. They jumped out to the early league. The game was close late, they had the lead late, he would, you know, go to the high leverage relievers, the dentical Kopex of the world, the Blake Trinon's out there.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: Look, Look, here's the thing about baseball and sports in general, is you can make the right call. Dave Roberts made the right call. I guarantee you he didn't punt that game. There's no question that he expected to win that game with those guys, and you know, you parse it out Land and Knack people want to, you know when they're nick him a bit nick Knack Snack whatever they were talking about last night too. Hey, look, he hitched great four innings in one run, pretty darn good. Okay, so he did not punt the game. Uh, but you can do everything, make the right calls, and you can still lose because what's the bottom line, The players have to execute. And if they don't execute, even though you make the right calls, that was the right call. You can still lose, and that's that's where we were.
Speaker 1: Danny and Almonte is next up here on Saxon Kates in the Am on a FI seventy LA Sports. Hi, Danny, Hi, good morning, morning.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 6: I know we were starting to feeling a little down to a little, you know, out of it after that loss. But honestly, what do we all expect from a Yankees Dodgers World series? I didn't expect to sleep and that's definitely not what I want her to see. I want her to see a Muhammad Ali versus George Foreman. I wanted to feel slug it out. If we would have taken this series on a four to oh, I don't think anybody would have looked back at it like that, Wow, what a classic, you know, and this is exactly what I expected. But now we need to rally when you come back. How do the boys in Blue respond?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Yeah, you know how they respond?
Speaker 4: They Danny, good, good, call Danny.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 4: You know another thing is they may have they may have said, you know, there wasn't that good of a series, wasn't that good of a matchup? That Dodgers were just so much better than the Yankees. If we had a sweep. You know, might have heard that. Now, now we gotta fight, right, So it is what it is. But I think the Yankees are they're a really good team. Yeah, you know, really good team. So it's it's not gonna be you know, he they weren't that good anyway. No, they're that good.
Speaker 1: They're a very good team. And they got the bottom of the lineup going last night with Anthony Vulpi and Austin Wells and Alex Rdugo. And the scary thing is they got a couple of hits from Soto, Judge and Stanton who went over four, but on base once. Uh, you got to keep them down. You got a silence in as long as possible as this series, hopefully, and tonight in the Bronx, let's go out to Michael and Buena Park has been waiting very patiently. Michael, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys. I don't think last night is any reason for concern. The Yankees top six and the order were four for twenty four. Dave Roberts seemed to kind of mail in the game, and no manager or coach could ever say that. But he didn't throw all of his horses out there as far as the pitchers go. Understandably, Steve, what do you think about Tommy Edmund being moved up in the order. We understand that you want numbers eight and nine, the number eight and nine hitters to get on base for the upper part of the order, but given the postseason he's had, shouldn't he be batting fifth or no lower than six?
Speaker 4: All right, appreciate it, Michael, Thanks Michael good call. I understand your sentiments, but I got to go with you know what got us there? And you know the guys that have been smoking in the postseas and certainly he's one of them. Then LCS MVP and I love it. So I'm gonna kind of keep it where Dave Roberts has him right now, and uh, and just go with that.
Speaker 1: I like him in the nine Spy. I know he bat clean up in the in the NLCS and was.
Speaker 4: He's almost like another leadoff hitter. Absolutely, when you're hitt ninth, you got two leadoff hitters now. Absolutely, it looked what he did last night. He was all for one at the plate, but he got on base twice with walks. So he's getting on in front of show. Hey, Otani, who what do we talk about when he's got runners in a scoring position, when guys are on base, he during this postseason has delivered more times than he has it. It's when he doesn't have anybody on base, when he's starting to chase pitches and getting out of the strike zone. And we didn't we mentioned it earlier. He was a guy who won for seven runners in scoring position, the Dodgers of the team showy Otani, oh for one last night. So Tommy Evan got on base. You know, if you move them up and you drop kiy k and nine, you flip flop him in the sixth to ninth spot. Okay, great, But I like Edmond of that nine spot you hit on the head. It's that's another leadoff hitter to turned that lineup over. And I like the fact that he gets on base no matter what. Yeah, and look, show hey, o Tani's the lead off hitter one time, you know, starting the game after that, you know it's mixing. You know, it's he's not gonna lead off every every inning. And having Tommy I'd been at the bottom of the order to set the stage for show Hey and Mookie and Freddy. I like that you know, that's that's a good spot to be, so I like him in that number nine position too.
Speaker 1: Let's squeeze in one more call before the break. Coming up at the back end of this hour, Jeff and Nelson from Yes Network is gonna join us. Manny all the way out in Katie, Texas joins us from the Long Long Star State. How you doing, Manny, Good morning, guys.
Speaker 8: Honored to speak to you, guys, listening to you guys on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Thanks Manny, Thanks, Manny's going Saxy.
Speaker 8: I just want to say, it's an honor to talk to you, man, And I want to remind everybody, I mean, with somebody. A lot of people don't remember this that how magical eighty eight was. Besides Gibb's home run and Oral's accomplishment, you hit that home run on that first pitch on opening day.
Speaker 4: Man, you remember that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, buddy, I remember that. Running to the TV to watch the news because that's what it was. That's the only way we were to watch clips of it. And man, you were pumped running down the bases. But hey, guys, last night, Hey, I expected it. You know when they said Kaspirius and and Nack was going to pitch. It's exactly what I expected. Yankees just feed off of triple A pitching. Tonight we got Jack Flarity, you know. And I believe tayl is gonna wake up tonight. He's gonna be clutched tonight. So I said, Yank, I had called Dodgers in six, but hey, we could do it in five. Let's do it, baby, and let's celebrate safely.
Speaker 1: All right, go Dodgers, guys, appreciate thanks for checking in. Yeah, I got the big dog going tonight, Flarity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and see that's kind of like the sentiment. You get the kind of the narrative. Oh not not the top quality landa NAC four innings, one one run, Okay, he was one of the guy bright stars of the pitching staff, if you can make it that way, A little kernel of good things that were happening yesterday for the Dodgers. So anyway, not a punt, not triple A. Uh, it's just what it is. But tonight you turn the page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you can tell that Dodgers lineup last night. We're punting this game. Just go out there, go through the motions, guys, and you're thirty two combined bats go ahead and strike out eight times. We're good. We're gonna We're gonna try to win this in five. No, that's that's not the mentality. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two, five seventy is a phone number. Your phone calls coming up. David Vets joins us. Next hour, we'll hear from Mookie Betts. We'll hear from Jeff Nelson, former Yankee, now part of the Yes Network in New York. That's coming up later on this hour. Your phone calls when we come back. Dodgers fight themselves now in to fight. Yankees have hit back. We got ourselves a series. Dodgers still up three to one right here on n FI seventy LA Sports, Sax and Kate's in the Am here on your Home of the Dodgers and five seventy LA Sports Live and Lo Goal with Saxon Kates in the Am. If you want to listen to the Dan Patrick Show, you can find them on the iHeartRadio app. We're leading you up to Game five of the World Series. Yeah, a Game five coming up from the Bronx after the Yankees avoided elimination in his sweep with an eleven to four win last night over the Dodgers. Dodgers on Deck will get started at four pm, first pitch at five oh eight from the Gallping Motors broadcast booth. I was just watching our buddies at the MLB Network during the commercial break here Staxy, Matt Vskersion and Sean Casey and talking about this series. And Sean Casey brought a great point. It's hard in baseball to sweep a team in a three game series in the regular season. Now Here we are in the postseason, it's a best of seven series. And now you're asking a team to go and win four straight games over a team that is arguably just as hot as you, arguably just as good as you, and here in the position to also try to win a World Series championship. And you think you're just going to go in there and roll through them in four games? Did it not expect the Yankees to put up a fight? I mean, this is a Yankees Team's got a lot of pride. Certainly they don't want to get swept. When he pointed out it's hard to win four games during the regular season against the team in a row.
Speaker 4: Almost almost never happens to get swept in four during the regular season. Nonetheless, thinking about what happens in postseason a World Series, it just almost never happens. Yeah, I can tell you during eighty three when we were playing the Phillies, we beat the Phillies. I think every game that year, maybe we lost one, I don't think so. I think we were twelve and oher against the Phillies. We come when we play them in the NLCS, they swept us in four. That shows you how how you know tentative this thing is. It's not just it's not just you know, reason that comes to the forefront. It can be some other thing. You know, certainly where you are in the cycle, if you're hot, if you're not, if somebody's injured, all these things matter and things can change on a dime. But I just, you know, never would expect any team to come up and just slam him down in the World Series four straight. Remember, these are the two best teams in baseball, arguably in the National American League. So there you have it.
Speaker 1: We got a game five tonight. It's Garrett Cole and Jack Faleri the pitching matchup. Jeff Nelson will join us coming up in about fifteen minutes from the Yes Network in New York and a perspective from him. He was at the game last night, so h'im hanging out with Flavor Flave on the Fox broadcast. So we'll talk to him about Flavor Flavor and end this series as well as the Yankees have forced a game five. Let's go back down to the phones, Richard and Elson gund waiting patissly on this Wednesday morning. Richard, how are you? Richard? Go ahead?
Speaker 5: Hey guys, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Doing pretty well.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 9: A little bit of a hangover from last night's game, but you know, honestly, I'm not.
Speaker 5: All that worried.
Speaker 9: You know, the eighth inning was kind of a sluke. You know, Volpi sold that foul tip, he struck out, and then nine times out of ten Will Smith is catching that ball behind behind home plate. That's two outs right there. So it's kind of just, you know, things happen in baseball at sports. And then to test on the thing you guys were talking about regarding how they were talking about not being a home run in Dodger Stadium, I think that was more a knock on the Yankees and their literal league. You know short porch, because you know all those home runs that those guys have. Look at where they're hitting it. I mean, it would not be a home run in like numerous stadiums around around the league. So not too worried. Hopefully they're going to bring it home tonight and we can meet them at the airport when they.
Speaker 5: Fly home tonight. Sounds good, Richard, have a good one go Dodgers, all right.
Speaker 1: Appreciate itrid The game of baseball could be so beautiful yet so frustrating, and Richard just brought a great point. It's a six ' four game. Honeywell's on in the bottom half of the eighth inning. Anthony Rizzo grounds out to Freddie Freeman. Honeywell goes over, covers the base one down. Here comes Anthony Volpi hits the grand Slam earlier. Again, it's a six to four game. Bottom of the eighth inning. Dodgers still have one more at bats coming up. It's only a two run deficit. Dodger's still in it right. Wpy comes up to two pitch, fouls it off, and it looked like he didn't foul it off. It was a strike that just whiffed and got past Will Smith. It should have been strike three. Yeah, Instead they call it a foul tip. It clearly wasn't. I don't think you can challenge that in baseball. But the next pitch he doubles, yeah, and then Wells walks, and then both of them steals second and third, and then Alex Rdugo comes up and hits a fielder's choice because Volpe's quick off the secondary and scores even with the enfield up to make it a seven to four game. And then Taurus comes up and clears the bases with the three run home run. It's a ten to four lead. It ends up being a five run inning for the Yankees in the eighth. Baseball can change so quick, and a foul tip that wasn't and it should have been strike three. Next thing, you know, the door opens and it's a five run inning for the Yanks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And how you can redeem yourself And just even in the same game where Volpe had the base running blunder on the ball that should have been a triple to right center field, and then he comes in, has another chance to score side on a fielder's choice, and he does and turned out to be you know, he hits the Big Grand Slam. So you can really turn things around in baseball very very quickly. And that's in a big sense in the macro view of the whole thing. That's what the Dodgers are going to try to do. Put this one behind him last night, and I'm sure they have. Listen, you gotta have anesia sometime when you're a baseball player, and the Dodgers certainly know how to do that. They're gonna come in tonight, fresh ready and a great outlook on what's to be starting in Yankee Stadium tonight. Win that one and then they can just go home for a parade.
Speaker 1: Gus and Roland Hines is next up here on a five to seventy. It was Saxon Kates in the Ams. The Dodgers now find themselves with a three to one series lead after the Yankees win in Game four last night. How you doing, Gus?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Really good?
Speaker 10: Boss?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 10: You got to be fired up, man, keep that seats coming ready to go.
Speaker 1: I am fired up, but I think this Dodgers team needs to be fired up. Mookie Betch was assaulted last night in right field down the right field line, and the just got hit in the mouth by the Yankees in Game four, they scored eleven runs on them. Certainly needed to come back tonight and they need to hit back.
Speaker 10: Gus, Yes, they're yes there Ay, quick question about that play. Obviously, grabbing his glove is a little over over the top, no doubt about that. But you know, some people might take a good home field advantage, you know, trying to knock the ball out or trying to stop him from catching it.
Speaker 4: What's your take, hey, Gus, he didn't try to knock the ball out. He tried to dig it out. He opened his glove up and was digging in his glove. Get your hand out of my glove, would you? And then your chump friend has got Mookie by the hand. I mean he's trying to, you know, do whatever the Mookie's hand. That is not acceptable, not at all. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely over the thought man. All right, Gus, appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, man, you got got great takes.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys, thanks.
Speaker 1: For just watching the replay for the nine hundreds time of Mookie bets.
Speaker 4: Does he kick you off?
Speaker 1: He leaped atousity, Yeah, he was in the air, he leaped and as he's coming down the guy is still holding on to his and then as Mookie kind of bounces back up a second time because he's being held onto, that's when the idiot grabs his right wrist and his other buddy goes to work on trying to dig the ball out. I mean, he could have pulled the shoulder, he could have pulled the wrist, he could have built, you know, broken a finger. I mean, this is unacceptable for this to happen. A Yankee stave and just to kick these guys out and we just move on, we continue to play the game. This was the bottom of the first inning in Game four of the World Series.
Speaker 4: I mean, what if the hey man, what if the guy had to blade on him? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: What happens to this? This is a Dodger stadium.
Speaker 4: Could you know what I mean? You don't know?
Speaker 1: I mean the first thought is, oh, Dodger fans they're always roud. You look what they did against the Padres, all the pavilions out of control of Dodgers. Look at all the fights that happened up there and throwing trash on the field. Yeah, we got Yankee fans in the front row, grabbing and holding onto players. And not letting go.
Speaker 4: That's that's crossing the freaking line. Okay, I can see if the ball is going in, like you said, everybody jumps up and you try to get it and jump all it falls on the ground. Okay, exact Mookie catches the guy, grabs his glove, opens the glove, digs in, hunts.
Speaker 1: For the ball.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, chump Arella next to him is grabbing Mooki's three hundred and sixty five million dollar hand. Okay, I'm ticked off. Now, I'm some way shedding that grab grabbing onto the jersey as I fall down, bring that chump with me. He's coming down. Yeah, and then I'll explain later. Yeah, you know what the video tells everything. Mooki had every right to protect himself, right, guys grabbing on protect yourself Mooki.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lucky it wasn't more of a mess out there and right field along the line after those Yankee fans, those Jabbroni's did to Mookie Bets down that right field line. Unacceptable and major League Baseball, the Yankees, they need to come down on these two knuckleheads. They need to be out in front of this. I haven't seen anything yet except for these two guys got escorted by security and they.
Speaker 4: And they, and they smugly said, as they're going out, well, they just told us that we can come back tomorrow. Not acceptable. No, they should not be able to be there. They should have a camera right there patrolling that area. Make sure they're not there. Hey, I got some my buddies back back east, and you know what they say, just what we're saying right now. We're from out here. We don't like that stuff. These guys are jerks. I mean, my friends in New York are telling me this.
Speaker 1: I mean, Bartman barely interfered with the ball in Chicago, barely, and he is persona non grata in the Windy City for life. Meanwhile, you got these two Jabbroni's out there grab it on and hold it on to Mookie Bets's wrists and assaulting him while they dig into his glove for thirty dollars baseball.
Speaker 4: I didn't see the phield, even the Philly fans. You do remember the how tough the Philly fans are. The guys there and in Boston, they're really tough. Remember this, Back in the late seventies, the Philly fans on not the Philly fans. I'm sorry the Philadelphia Eagles fans on Christmas Day. You know what I'm gonna say, right, throwing hard packed snowballs at Sandy Claus. Who would throw hard packed snowballs at Sandy Clause? Well, they did, they did. That's horrible. I mean, but but you know what, you don't see this kind of aggression. Nope, I mean grabbing a player and yanking the ball out first, and then who knows what he was trying to do? Why are you grabbing Mookie's wrists?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 11: What are you?
Speaker 4: What are you trying to do? I mean, you know, do you have no right to touch Mookie?
Speaker 5: None?
Speaker 4: I don't get it, man, none. This ticks me off, really does, fires to bring back memories.
Speaker 1: Fires me up. Let's go to Gerardo in downtown l A. He's next up here on a FI seventy l A Sports Gerardo.
Speaker 5: How you doing, I'm doing good? Little pissed off as well. Yeah, because of the game.
Speaker 11: I felt like Hudson sold sold man.
Speaker 5: He fits horrible.
Speaker 11: The rookies did, okay for for the fact, you know Ben then Alanda Knack surprised me yesterday only on line one run the spirits did well for his twinnings, but uh yeah, that Mookie player. Man, it's like those guys need to get ban from every baseball every baseball stadium because that's not you can't do that. Man, You're gonna get You're gonna hurt somebody, and.
Speaker 5: That's not right.
Speaker 11: And yeah, and hopefully Dodgers win the wills.
Speaker 5: Iss today, man, let's bring today.
Speaker 1: Let's get it done, Girardo, let's get it done. Today is today. Dodgers need to show a little fight after Mookie Betts got assaulted by two guys last night down the right field line going for the baseball, grabbing onto his wrists, digging into his glove. I mean, I I'm getting I'm with you. I'm getting more and more upset by watching this video.
Speaker 4: How do officials just let this go? They just basically let it go. Yeah, that's not acceptable.
Speaker 1: No, no, And there the two idiots started arguing that they were making a case of the ball. They're gesturing like, hey, he came over here, we're trying to get the ball on the glove.
Speaker 4: Come on, No, the guy's digging in his glove.
Speaker 1: Come on eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy the Yankees fans fighting back last night. The Yankee players on the field fighting back last night, avoiding a limit Nation in the sweep. Anthony Volpe Grand slam at five run eighth inning, Yankees beat the Dodgers eleven to four, forcing the game five tonight. Garrett Cole, Jack Flaherty Dodgers Yankees Dodgers still one win away from a World Series championship. Won't be easy, though, Yankees are putting up a fight. We'll get into your phone calls. David Vesse joins us Jeff Nelson from Yes Network as well, say FI seventy l A Sports saxon Kates in the am here on a five seventy LA Sports Live and Local are your home of the Dodgers as we lead you up to Game five of this World Series. Dodgers a three to one series lead, had a chance to sweep last night, but you knew the Yankees working to go without a fight, and they put up one last night in the stands and on the field, an eleven to four way over the Dodgers. As the Dodgers went with a bullpen game last night, Ben Kiss Sperry's got the start. Daniel Hudson gets the loss, coming in in the third getting and giving up a grand slam to Anthony Volpe as the Yankees were up five to two. The Dodgers, to their credit, made it a five to three, five to four game going to the sixth inning when Anthony uh well Well Austin Wells comes in and hits a solo home run, making it a two run game. And then they tack on five more in the eighth inning to really blow out the Dodgers with an eleven to four victory, and we got Game five tonight. Great pitching matchup put the bullpens aside. I expect to see both these guys go deep. I think a great pitching matchup. Hits are going to be their premium tonight. I think Saxy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too. And you know, you compare these two guys, and you know, Garrett Cole, lots of you know, great stuff said about Garrett Cole. Rightfully, so guy's a horse, he's a great pitcher. But if you really kind of parse out these two guys, what does he do great? Is what does Flarity do great? Flerity actually, numbers wise had a little better year than Garrett Cole. Did. Flarity was thirteen and seven, Cole was eight and five. Era was a little better with Flarity than with Cole. So you're getting quite the sample size. You're not just getting a couple of games. And so when people think that the Yankees have this gigantic advantage in the pitching department tonight, not so fast. Not so fast. Flarity's right there with them. You saw how Flarity's been pitching lately. Besides the one game that he gave up, all the everything else has been pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's pitched well for the Dodgers since coming over from Detroit. Garrett Cole was banged up for a good stretch of the season this year, back healthy, and certainly we saw what he can do in Game one of this World Series last Friday night out of Dodger Stadium, joining it, joining us now Saxy. Longtime major League you're actually drafted by the Dodgers back in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 4: Went on to have a great fifteen year.
Speaker 1: Career in the major leagues, dominating with the Mariners and Yankees, a four time World Series champion. Now you seeing hear him on the YES Network in New York. He is Jeff Nelson and he joins us now here on a FI seven DLA Sports Steve Saxon, Tim Kates, Jeff, good morning. How you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great? And Tim, your partner was the first guy I've ever faced in the Major league Saxey when I was my rookie season. He was with d White Socks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and tell him, did you strike me out?
Speaker 5: I don't know because it took me a little bit to get my first strikeout, so no, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Get Thank you, Nelly. How you doing, Buddy, I'm good? Thanks, good, good. Tim's gonna go first. Go ahead, Tim, and then I want to talk to Nelly of it.
Speaker 1: No, we saw you last night at the game, Jeff, And yeah, we saw you with Flavor Flay first off, hanging out with big Flavor Flame.
Speaker 5: How was that? I went to Game one? And then yesterday last night we did a watch party down by the Trade centers out on the Plaza, and yeah, he was. He's a really big Yankee fan. He lived a block away from Old Yankee Stadium where he lived in the Bronx, and he's a really he was a really nice guy. He can definitely get the crowd going and when I'm doing that picture. It was a stand up for cancer, and he's I'm six six, he's probably what five five five six, So I had to squat down or I would have blocked everybody out. And they caught me on camera and I said, I said, my quads are burning. I said, let's say and then all of a sudden we went live.
Speaker 4: Nelly, how you doing, Bud?
Speaker 5: I'm good, Saxon, how are you good?
Speaker 4: Nelly and I worked together? Was that an MLB network or where were we working together?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're doing like that youth baseball stuff.
Speaker 4: That's right. Nelly and I did some work together, and he's so good at the mic. I'm so glad to see you just killing it, Nelly, and you certainly deserve it. But I wanted to ask you a little bit about this game five. You have the two matchups between Flaherty and and Garrett Cole. I mean, it's almost a flip of the coin when you look at the numbers between these two. But can you know some of our listeners been calling in saying, can this momentum that the Dodgers had flip and go over to the Yankees. I you know, this is stuff that's very tenuous, and I don't know, what do you think? What do you think now? Do you think this momentum can flip over to the other side?
Speaker 5: Well, you look, you look at what the what the Dodgers did in the NLCS against the Mets and the couple games that they lost. You know, I think they punted in a way that okay, you know, we're going to save our main relievers and we're just going to throw some of our low leverage guys and see how that works out. And it looked like they did that, especially after Volt they hit the Grand Slam. They did get it back to one run, and then the Yankees just started, you know, going a little bit further and extending it. And then all of a sudden, I Roberts started using his low leverage guys. I don't know, I think you know what they say, momentum is as good as your next day start. I think the Yankees have set up the way they wanted as far as Garrett Cole going in Game five. I went in Game one and he pitched great, but then you know, everybody was all over Boone for taking him out after eighty eight pitches. But then all of a sudden, you understand you hear that he was exhausted, and he said he was he was tapped out, so that might be a little bit alarming. I know he's been banged up during the year. He missed pretty much the whole first half cold did I think you're right, Saxsy. I think it's a toss up. But I was listening to you before I came on, and you know, Celerity's pitched great, and all you have to do is try to give him. Give the Dodgers five innings and they're going right to their high leverage guys. And that's what Roberts plan is.
Speaker 1: Aaron Judge has been quiet the first three games of this series. Last night he hits by a pitch, he draws a walk, and then his last a bad hits a base hit for the Yankees. You kind of hope, if you're a Dodger fan, the bear hasn't been brodded awake here because once he gets going, lookout is this a thing where he can get going? And you've seen him a lot this year. He's been up, he's been down, and when he's hot, he's one of the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you kind of hope. So you know they'd been waiting for that. And that's about the only thing that I think maybe carry over to Game five is a bet that finally woke up at the bottom of the lineup. That's you've been wanting to see wake up. And did I mean you had the seven, eight nine guys. I think we got a couple of home runs came out of that with Volpi and also Wells, and Wells had a double himself, as you know, along with that home run. You kind of hope, so, I mean, he did have that RBI's first RBI World Series, so you kind of hope it does carry over. Obviously, that's that's first at bat, and again, you would love to see the Yankees get ahead last night. They fell behind again in that first inning with Freeman, and if the Dodgers get out to a big start or get get ahead early, it may only go five. I think essay the bullpen game and maybe the advantage is a little bit towards the Yankees, uh, and then they just got got away from the Dodgers late. But you kind of hope so because it's kind of tough to see a guy as his stature. You have two of the best players in the game, and you kind of wish Otani was a little bit healthier too, because he's just playing through that shoulder injury and you can really, you can really hell two of the greatest players in the game and they're struggling the way they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Nelly, with your great experience that you've had in the regular season and certainly in World Series play, you look at the situations where with the Dodgers and they got that spread out bottom of the orders usually doing pretty good for them, with you know, Tommy Edmond down there at the bottom almost acting as an additional leadoff hitter for this team. If you had to say, and you had to kind of go at the Dodgers and say, what part of this team do I have to the gate, what would it be? Would it be those kind of supporting role players, or you know, do you just kind of let Otani sit there at the top of the order and just let him do what he's doing, don't let him get off, kind of like the situation we see with Aaron Judge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the Dodgers lineup is so deep that he just mentioned with Edmund at the bottom, he is like another leadoff guy. You kind of want to stay away from Otani, and if you're a Yankee, you're kind of fortunate enough that he is banged up a little bit and probably not swinging at one hundred percent and you're getting away with it. And you know, Mookie Best has been Mookie Best, but still he doesn't have a homer in the in the series, you want to pitch around Freeman. I've been watching this guy ever since he was with the with the Braves, and when he gets hot and then he gets healthy, forget about it. I mean, he is one of the best players that I've seen, and being in Atlanta, I always thought he was always underrated and hidden being there. But everybody out in LA's and see what kind of player he is. I think that maybe the middle of the order, you know, but it's really tough if you're trying to navigate through that Dodger lineup. They're just so deep and you're just hoping that you can eliminate the walks. I mean, the walks have really haunted the Dodgers. Guy got to stay away from that. But there's the same way with the Yankees. You gotta you can't walk these guys.
Speaker 1: Jeff is a guy who dominated out of the bullpen winning four World Series championships. When you see the evolution of the bullpen now, and especially a team like the Dodgers day way they use it because of injuries, certainly that is played the factor. But these bullpen games, they've done it twice going into last night. Who worked in the NLDS against the Padres, It worked in the close out game against the New York Mets in the NLCS. It didn't necessarily play out to script last night how they wanted it. But as as one of the best relievers out there, Jeff, when you watch these bullpen games, do you just shake your head at the evolution of bullpens and the way things are now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I don't understand how you can't you can't develop starting pitching. I know the Dodgers have been banged up and some of their main starters Glass Now and Stone there, they're injured and they're not going to be They weren't in the series. They weren't you know, eligible to play, so that that really hurt them and they had no choice but to go with the bullpen days. You know, it's really tough to see. You would think that that team organizations could develop more pitching. You know, you always hear about, oh, you know, one more time you use relievers, the easier that it becomes because they're throwing the same thing. And it's true nowadates with analytics because these guys are taught only one way to get guys down. And when you're facing the same hitter three or four times in a row, and there's no feel for the game with these guys because they're so set on analytics and so set. Okay, this is why I have to get them out with a slider. Well, more times you throw, you might not have that great slider. You know, we didn't have analytics, so we had to go by feel. We had to Hey, the hitter made us adjust or am I going to throw my slider if he's on it, then I got to do something different. These guys don't do that. That's why you hear so many times that, oh, you know, the more times you see a reliever, the easier it is for them or the hitter. Maybe it has their advantage only because analytics has just made these guys into a robot. But it's a little disturbing to see to see bullpen dates, but it's worked for the Dodgers for a couple of times. It's not last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jeff, I agree with you first of all on the analytics analogy, totally right on with that. But you know there's some talk, Jeff, out there now of the Yankees trying to maybe create this narrative that maybe it's somebody like you know, Anthony Volpe who's going to step up now to create a narrative that Hey, the guy from the Bronx that grew up loving the Yankees and his family's there. He seehim on National TV when he was nine years old and how he loved the Yankees comes up with a big Grand Slam after having a base running blunder, and he's really redeeming himself. And can this be something where the Yankees can hang their hat on a little bit like kind of like the Dodgers had done with Tommy Edmond and the NLCS.
Speaker 5: Well, I think they're trying to do anything right, I mean, and trying to get any kind of positive after being down three to zero, and everybody knows that you're fighting against the odds because this is the first, what the fourth time it's actually gone to a fourth game after its team has been down three to zero, and no team has gone to a sixth game. So the Yankees know exactly what kind of odds they're they're going up against, and they're just trying to put together anything positive that they can carry into the next game. And if it's Anthony Volpi, he had a hanging slider and he crushed it. He would put it on a tee and he had a grand slam. I mean it looked like that. The Dodgers want to get out of that with no runs with only one out, and Rigell popped up in the innfield and then Bolti came through. So you're looking for anything if Aaron Judge is not doing it, you know, you look at Chisholm. He's gotten a couple of hits and stolen some bases, you know, even standing all of a sudden, it's now cooled off over the last couple of games ever since he's gotten back into the Bronx. So you're just looking for something to hang your hat on it and you get some kind of positive feeling going into game five.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens in game five tonight. Garrett Cole and Jack Flaherty first pitch right here at an five seventy at five oh eight from the Galpamotors broadcast. But Jeff, we really appreciate you coming on this morning. Great to see you last night with Flavor Flave on Fox, and great to catch up this morning.
Speaker 5: Thanks that pleasure. Great talking to you guys. To Saxony, good seeing see here you go.
Speaker 4: Is the great Jeff Nelson? What are the dominant closers? Great to work with. By the way, I loved working with him with MLB. He was great, great dude as well.
Speaker 5: I said.
Speaker 1: I fired him off at text last night at like nine o'clock our time, midnight his time, because I saw him on TV and I'm like, hey, Nell, he's at the game. Let's get him on. He works for YES Network. Let's go and text me right back. So I appreciate what Jeff.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Jeff?
Speaker 1: You know what? Tim?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Tim?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 4: Boom? Boom?
Speaker 2: He is?
Speaker 1: Steve Sacks and Tim Katz and saxs and Kate to the am. Two hours down, one to go. Dodgers have found themselves now in a series with the New York Yankees, who won Game four last night eleven to four. Now Game five tonight still a chance to win it and get it World Series Championship, but the Yankees aren't gonna go easy. We'll get to your phone calls, David Vasse. We'll join us next hour. Thanks for being with us here on n FI seventy LA Sports