Speaker 1: Diabetes dot org. Today, that's do I Have Prediabetes dot Org, brought to you by the AD Council and its pre diabetes awareness partners.
Speaker 2: Broadcasting from the Tri County Board dot com studios. This is Sports Talk seven nine day. It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 1: You know, just looking at the numbers here, I guess I should say the scorers from the NFL thus far, I feel like we we've had a pretty good NFL week. It's not over yet. You've got Dolphins and Rams tonight for Monday Night football, but some some pretty exciting games. It started Thursday with the Ravens and the Bengals. Obviously that one worked out well for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson. But if you didn't have a dog in a fight, and you didn't wager on it, you just wanted to be entertained with a good football game. That one certainly delivered. I wouldn't say that. The Panthers Giants yesterday in Germany at nine am was like a great game, but it went to overtime. I mean it was a close game. I mean Chiefs Broncos. I mean that sucked that the Chiefs were able to still hold on and win. They have had their best start since this whole era, this whole dynasty came together. This is their best start now, being nine to zero on the year. But man, I feel like just watching them, they look as average as they as they ever have during this run. I mean they look they look kind of mid, but you know what, they keep winning. And you know, even if they look this way all year and still have a great season and get a good spot in the playoffs with home field advantage all that kind of stuff, if they turned it on when it mattered most and Mahomes does Mahomes things, then like, you know, I won't be surprised. But man, it just seems like they've had three maybe four games this year that you feel like, you know, I mean, maybe this is just me being a hater, because I am certainly a hater of the Chiefs, like they should have lost, teams beat them.
Speaker 3: I was just about to ask, are you over? Are you done with the Chiefs?
Speaker 1: I've been done with the Chiefs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have you met me? My God? Like I'm I mean in my hate is more so just because I'm tired of them being so good. Yeah, but that's how it works in sports, right.
Speaker 3: Do you think that they've gotten to that, because I feel like we used saying and I used to do the same thing with like Tom Brady and the Patriots, like you were just you were just over it. But I feel like there's something and it goes back to your saying, they're sort of playing as average our ages starting to show a little bit, like Chris Jones isn't like the pass rusher that he was last year.
Speaker 1: Holmes hasn't looked good either.
Speaker 3: I mean, stats are terrible.
Speaker 1: Again, you would thank you. I'm glad you said that, because he's still being mentioned for obvious reasons in the MVP race, but it's all based off of his career, nothing to do with this year now. Again, I guess if you're any other quarterback and your team is the only unbeaten team left, you're gonna get some notoriety just because of how much people are aware that the quarterback position is important. But I'm not sure how many games they're winning. But because you're like, well, what will they do without this guy? Now? He can still make plays that a lot of people can't. But yeah, he's you know, I don't want to disrespect him because as much as I don't want the Chiefs to win, I do know the Patrick Mahomes is a hell of a quarterback. But like watching him this year and looking at his numbers, like there's really not a whole lot there to be worried about. But you know, if you know, you know, right, he's a guy that'll the second you feel like you may have him, you know, you may have them off the field because it's third and twenty seven and you know you brought pressure and there's no way they get out of this. Well, then they do because that's that's where Mahomes really shows that he's he's different. But yeah, I was hoping the Broncos could get it done.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 1: Some other I mean the Steelers Commanders game. That one was awesome. And then last night, I mean, the Lions, they keep winning. They're on fire right now. The Texans really let that one get away. I mean it was twenty three to seven at half and Texans don't score in the second half and the Lions make a big comeback, And I really I love the story about this kicker, Jake Bates, because I mean, it's not just the fact that last night he made the game winning fifty something yardfield goal in his hometown of Houston, Texas. I mean that alone is awesome. I mean that enough is like, wow, that's pretty cool. The kicker was able to get it done. He's a young guy, probably the best moment in his young career. But his story is wild, Like it's truly something that you see in a movie. So he played high school football as a joke. And let me explain. So this was in that Yeah, this was in a write up by Nolan Bianki, who covers the Detroit Lions. He's a beat writer for one of their I think, yeah, the Detroit News Detroit Daily News, and he shared last night his column. But then he added something that says, this didn't make it in the story. But Jake Bates told me during an interview this week that he jokingly started playing football in high school after securing a soccer scholarship. And Nolan asked him, like, as a bit, like you did it like to be funny, and he was like, yeah, I just wanted to see what everybody how everybody would react like I've never played football in my life. But now soccer players are becoming kickers, Like, let's just go see if they let me play, and they did so he ended up playing I guess he played socka yeah. He played college soccer at Central Arkansas in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen, and then he transferred to play football at Texas State, walked on at Texas State where he only did kickoffs, and then from Texas State he transferred to Arkansas a couple of years ago in twenty twenty two, once again only doing kickoff duties, and that was really the first time he ever had any like legitimate football success. He was first team All acc As just the kickoff guy. So once his college career came to an end again he was not a field goal kicker, he went undrafted, of course most kickers do. He ended up signing with the Texans last July and was released within like a couple of weeks. Right, they got to look at his boot, did love what they saw, they released him. So then he ends up in the UFL playing for the Michigan Panthers and did that for it looks like one season, and he ended up doing well. He made a lot of kicks He was named to the twenty twenty four All UFL team on June fifth, twenty twenty four. And let's see, so his contract with the team was terminated in June of this year, which gave him the opportunity to sign with the n NFL team. So again, the Texans gave him the opportunity first because he's from there, right, like, they got to look at him. Well. Detroit signed into a two year contract this summer, and he was one of only two UFL players to make it on a fifty three man roster. And you know, here he is being relied upon in a major way on Sunday Night football, everybody watching, and he didn't even like he's literally kind of just getting a feel like he was in the UFL, just feeling like, hey, you know what, I think I can make far field goals, Like I got a pretty good leg. I've always played. They only let me do kickoffs. Well, I think I'm pretty good field goal kicker. I mean, he apparently made a sixty four yard field goal in the UFL, which that'll clearly get you a lot of attention. But for him to kind of come through like that and be the hero, I mean, it reminds me of stories whenever you you know, you see somebody in the moment like that, and you can just imagine being able to say, let's let's let's go back three years ago and just see what you would say if I told you this would be what you're doing right now, and you know clearly they wouldn't believe it, and you would wonder, how on what scenario in my life could I see this playing out? Well, you never know, right, Life's crazy things, things happen, opportunities come your way, you surprise yourself, and you know clearly it would have been a bad night if he didn't get it done, because kickers have one job. But he got the job done last night, knocking in a a forty four yard game winning field goal. And I oh, I'm sorry, let me back up a second. So this wasn't his first gaming field go So in week seven he had a game winner against the Lions. I'm sorry, Austin the Vikings. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, so they beat it, they beat the Vikings. Sorry, you're a Vikings fan and that was a tough loss for you. Yeah, So then after that it was yeah, we yeh fifty eight yard field goal is what it was last night, and then before that he had a fifty two yarder. So the guy was awesome. And you know, with kickers, maybe it was just a one time thing and he starts missing because you just never know. Like kickers, I'm fascinated by this being able to kick it consistently a certain distance. He had a pretty good feel for kickers range, right, like Louisvill's had some really good Like Louisvells's best kickers over the years have been guys that I don't think are that good past forty yards, but man, if it's less than forty yards, they're not missing many. But like that wouldn't really get it done. In the NFL. You need to be able to kick further field goals. And there's some guys who, like you know, you've watched them all throughout their career and all of a sudden they just can't make it anymore. It's not about distance, it's and it's you know, I guess it is accuracy, but it's also got to be mental, Like it's just got to be such a mental thing more than anything, because if you're if you're even getting a chance to sniff a roster spot, it's like a tryout as a kicker in the NFL. You have to have something on your resume that shows that you have the ability to at least get it there right, but doing it consistently, not you know, letting the big moment get in the way like that's it's clearly a valuable thing because you know you can do it. You can have moments like this kicker Jake Bates had last night, so.
Speaker 3: And if and in today's NFL, like especially you got the head coach trust and everything like that, if you have like two or three bad weeks, then you're probably they're they're probably going the next man up too. So and I think kicking is probably now as important as it's been for a long time in today's NFL. So it is a mental thing, like you just said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I think what happens is, you know guys who've been in the NFL for a long time, gms and coaches, they're aware that what your actual asking somebody to do, you know they can. So therefore, if you're not doing it, you don't get many chances to rework. You don't get many chances to kind of work on it during the season. During games, because again there's countless guys that physically have the ability to do it. And if you're not getting it done, they're gonna trust somebody else. He's not getting it don they're gonna trust somebody else. And you just find somebody who's in a good mental space that can get it done when the pressure's on, and eventually that'll run out and you'll go to somebody else. So you know, it's a good gig if you can get it, but it's also, you know, a gig you can lose pretty quickly with a couple mistakes or you know, a bad game or two. All right, it's coffee and Company. We are fel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Veterans Day, as you could expect a lot of talk in the three o'clock hour about the basketball game on Saturday. Props to everybody who went to the game. The atmosphere was awesome. Just about everybody there seem to really follow the instructions. They understood the assignment where White and I don't know why that stood out to me. I'm sure it's a silly thing. It had nothing to do with the actual game itself. But I feel like we've had white outs, blackouts where you feel like the fan base did a good job, but you still see, you know, a certain percentage that's clearly Louisville fans, but they didn't get the they didn't understand they were supposed to wear a specific color, or maybe they didn't care. But like everybody there, I feel like that was there for Louisville. They were all wearing white, which isn't that hard to do. But I'm just telling you, over the years, I feel like, you know, I'd usually give our fan base a B plus when it comes to it as far as just understanding, hey, the school's really promoting and trying to emphasize they want all fans to wear the same color. B plus is typically what we've done. I'd say a plus on Saturday because there it was mostly white, in fact, about ninety nine percent white, and the fans that were there they wanted to get they wanted to get excited and cheer about something they really did, and I think these guys were trying. I don't think it was because you know, they were loafing out there. I mean, I know there are some instances and people have already reminded me of this on the text line, and I just I disagree with you, but there's really no way to prove one person right or wrong. And I'm not even telling you that you're wrong. But here's what I just don't feel comfortable doing looking at a game, rather it be in my seat as a fan a little closer if I'm sitting in my press seat or watching on TV. I think we believe we can watch and have the ability to gauge the effort level, you know what I mean. Like, just because somebody gets pushed around like Tennessee did at times, doesn't mean those guys weren't trying, And that can actually be a more demoralizing thing, right because if it's not lack of effort and you just get punked, that's a pretty big wake up call. And I think that's what happened. I'm not saying that there weren't instances where guys weren't ready to play and they didn't match the effort that Tennessee was given, and they certainly didn't match the physicality, But like, I'm not at all thinking that we got to be worried about this team playing hard the rest of the year. I don't think that that any Look, even if I did agree with you and say, yeah, they didn't play hard, man, I really didn't think we'd be worried about effort. Like, even if I wanted to agree, even if I agreed with you in every aspect, I still believe that you have a guy on your sideline that will get that corrected. Like Pat Kelsey is a basketball coach, and I think he's a good one. If you don't, that's your opinion. I think he's proven to be a good coach. But the whole experience with the previous regime, and I'm not trying to, you know, make the well I guess I am. I'm not really trying to make the direct comparisons, but this I'm blaming on the person on the text line that just is emphasizing these guys didn't play hard, which again I can't change your mind, but I disagree. But when it comes to what a coach is, again, there's a lot of different ways to do it. You can be a coach that's a hard ash. You can be a coach it's more of a player's coach. You can be a coach that you know, there's a lot of and look a lot of coaches, you know, there's not like four different types of them, right, Every human being on earth is unique when it comes to being an individual. So your personality is a big factor of it too. But at the core, you know what a coach is a leader. You know who was employed as the coach but wasn't a coach last time? Kenny Payne not a leader at all. So I don't know how many games back else he's going to win this year or long term, but I don't have any worry that if these guys for some reason did come out and play a game where they didn't give any effort and it was quite clear he would address it, he would handle it. And look, I hate even like going out of my way to prop him up for that, because that's really the fundamentals of the job. You are the leader you are, you know, you set the tone. You are in charge of this organization that is, in fact, the louisvill basketball program. And I think these guys are still appreciative of the fans that showed out, like I think, you know, I can't tell you what it's going to result in as far as wins and losses. But I think everybody within that program, top to bottom, all the support staff, all the coaches, Pat Kelcey, all the players, Like I don't think they feel like victims here. I think they're like, Damn, that wasn't a good look for us. We weren't ready, but we're gonna get better now again. Will they end up taking advantage of other opportunities to win games like that? Only time will tell. But there's just different levels of like what you're worried about now compared to like everything. I mean, I don't even know if you were worried at the end or even last year altogether because you knew that that was never going to work out well. Now we still don't know how things are gonna work out long term with Pat. But it won't be because his guys aren't playing hard, and it won't be because he's not putting every single thing. I mean, I think what he said on Saturdays, every fiver of his being is you know, they're gonna put everything they have to get it figured out now Again. Results from that, who knows. Only time will tell. But best case scenario here is that you look back at this big twenty two point loss, and it was a wake up call. And you think, man, I'm glad that happened in Game two because they were able to take that butt whooping, get humbled if it needed to happen, not even saying it did, and then have a ten day break where they can really, you know, work on some things and grow from this. Now ten days is you know, not ideal for a fan for sure, and maybe not even for Pat. I'm sure he would like to get his guys out there sooner than just ten days here. But I think given the situation, he'll make the most of it. And you know, we just have to wait and see if they do get better and start to take advantage of opportunities to beat teams like Tennessee. Because here's the thing, the opportunities are going to be there. I mean, they take off for the Bahamas in a couple of weeks, and then when they come back, they got Old Miss and the sec ACC Challenge. Obviously they play Duke Carolina Kentucky all before December first, I believe, or sorry, January first, which I mean ready or not, They're going to have these opportunities, and I hope they're ready.
Speaker 3: One thing that I will admire is, you know, and it's something that PK brought up on the postgame show, is you can get down your down twenty points and you're definitely out of it the last couple of minutes and you could start to see some of the body language off the players. And that's something that they corrected during that last time out. That's something that he came out and said that they even noticed that and they wanted to change that. Hey guys, I know we're down this amount of points, but they're still going to play their tail off up until the final whistle. And I hate that it has to come back to this and or they won't play right, or they won't play And there's always an next to it because this, you know, there is some deaf and talent there on that bench. But just the fact that you know, we're kind of going back to the mother bear thing, well, we're just trying to groom them into be better people and just to be better competitors, just because that's what we haven't had in a while and the last couple of years under the previous regime. And don't we just love talking about the ex wife, right, It's just like you never saw that correction, and the body language was always off in previous teams.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the one thing that not many would say out but I would scream it. There would be people that would try to tell me that it was going to get better, he was going to fix it. Give him time. How can he fix something when he told us nothing was wrong, that this was just going to happen regardless, and every embarrassing result, every embarrassing thing that happened was just to be expected because he inherited something that he claimed was broken. Like he was a victim. His players became victims to where they just felt like, well, hey, this is part of it, because I mean, because of reasons I don't know, there was no scenario they should have been as bad as they were. So with Pat, I mean, I hope he figures it out. But if he doesn't, it won't be because he's not putting everything he has into it, and it won't be because he's refusing to accept that, like hits his responsibility. So all right, quick break what I want to do. On the other side, we'll get at the text on some good stuff coming in. Also, we'll talk some football. Louisville back in action heading to the West Coast to take on Stanford on Saturday, and obviously Kentucky their game is against Murray State this week. I believe so not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Would love to hear if Louisville fans wanted to get weird like Kentucky fans get weird about like attendance and ticket sales and scanned seats and all that stuff, they might have forty people at their game against Murray State. I mean, that's an exaggeration, but like I would question your social life if you're a Kentucky football fan and you went and watched him play Murray State. Given the type of season that they're having now the next game at home against Louisill, that's a different story. But if you're just wanting to ride this season out in hopes that Mark Stoops is going to walk away and you guys can start fresh, start anew, he confirmed today that's not happening. In fact, he said there's zero chance that happens, which in a weird way. I think that probably disappointed some Kentucky fans. But we'll talk about all that and more. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Fresh off of bye week and a ten day break for the Louisville basketball team, we are back in football mode. We'll still, of course talk hoops, that's what we do around here. But Jeff Brohm and his team coming off of a needed bye week when it comes to getting guys healthy this late in the year. Obviously momentum on their side after finally breaking through and not just playing a really good team competitively, but you know, actually getting it done and winning their performance against Clemson. I'm hoping they can carry that over to two weeks later. I mean, they had a week off and now they get to travel across the country to take on Stanford. And don't forget we will have you covered when it comes to pregame coverage. Our pregame show will start at two thirty on Saturday. It is the Louisville Football Pregame Show presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then as soon as it ends, postgame show will start and we'll react to whatever it is that happens in the Bay Area. The Louisville Football Postgame Show presented by Alex R. White Lawyers to distracted driver dot com. I don't want to give this thing any energy, any life. I hope it's dead, but I think Jeff needs to beat Stanford to kill it. And what I mean by it is the pattern. I don't know if it's a streak, but it's certainly been a pattern in Jeff's time as a head coach where he will pull off a big time win and then they'll lose to a team that they really don't have any business losing to. It was last year after they beat Notre Dame and then they went to pitt And I give Jeff a lot of credit last year in the press conference, he brought it up like he knew that his team's and he wasn't blaming his players, but like he in some way brought it up in the press conference about how yeah, I mean, we got to stay focused because each week you got to I mean, he gave you the coach speak that Jeff typically gives you. But like he wasn't offended or bothered or surprised that, you know, that's a talking point about him as a coach because it is unusual. I mean, he's been a good enough coach to where he clearly has a pretty good reputation in the college football world, and people know the man. Some games, like the Clemson games set up to where brom can just go get it done because that's what he has proven to be able to do at different schools. But then don't be surprised if he turns around and loses the next game to a nobody, so like he wants. He knows that it's a real thing, and he wants it to end more than anybody. He wants that pattern to no longer be referenced. But here's your opportunity.
Speaker 3: Go win.
Speaker 1: Be the better team that you know you have. I mean, you're favored by twenty points in this game against a bad Stanford team who won their first acc game beat Syracuse. That's Syracuse, and look pretty good doing it. I only remember that because I got my ass kicked that night when it comes to betting, because I felt like Syracuse was in a good place, and sure enough, Stanford came in and beat him. I don't think Stanford's won an ACCAM since then, so you know, it's truly a take care of business game. Stanford's the first team you've played I believe in. I mean, honestly since you played Jacksonville State in your second game. This is the first time you've got an opponent where I'm not really looking at what they do and looking at their personnel and looking at their results. And I shouldn't say that. I'm telling you there's no scenario Louisville loses because we know they can. This has happened before. But like, there's not any thing about them that you got to be worried about. Yeah, they got a quarterback who can run a little bit, but I mean he's run and they've still gotten their ass kicked more often than not on Saturday. So you know you're better just go take care of business. And I just, you know, I get why the whole pattern has been brought up about avoiding the letdown after a big win. But the only way to completely like not have the PTSD that you have as Louisville fans because of what happened last year against Pitt is for just them to go out there and take care of business. And my hope after the Boston College win was that that win not because of who you beat or how you did it, but what played out in the process. That was a chance for these guys to kind of put it all together. They're down twenty one to nothing in the first half. Had Boston College, we all collectively, as Loisvill fans, I feel like, felt like the season had crumbled right before our eyes when that happened. And sure enough, they come out in the second half and the defense was different. The offense has been good enough and in fact, sometimes it's really good, and they carried it over. They carried it over to Clemson and now I've see no reason why they can't keep that momentum going. But yeah, they're favored by twenty points as we speak. So as far as what Miami's lost means for Louisville, nothing really. And by the way, there are five teams ranked in the top twenty that all lost. You had Georgia lose to Ole Miss. Got that one wrong. It's the first real big time I mean that. I think I was justified in taking ole Miss. I'm sorry taking Georgia because Lanekiffin has been in that moment, has been in that in that spot at ole Miss for at least, you know, probably at least four or five times since he's been there. Where Hey, they're good, but man, can Lane get over the hump? Can he actually win a game against a big time team that they're not supposed to beat and he'd never done it, and then he did it on Saturday, So perhaps to ole miss Miami. They lost to who got him Georgia Time. Yeah, Georgia Tach. I don't wh I was blanking on that. So they lost to Georgia Tech. They you know, they were playing with I mean, this Miami team looked like they were I mean, they probably should have a few losses, but you know what, they found ways to hold on and win. But they couldn't get it done against Georgia Tech. LSU they lose to Alabama they were ranked fifteenth. Iowa State loses again. That's not good for Matt Campbell. And then Pitt they lose at home to Virginia looking a little more, you know, they're coming back down to the real world a little bit. They got a great they got off to a great start, but Pitt a couple of pretty poor results in these last two games, which bodes well for Louisvill because that's who Louisville will finish up the home slate against next Saturday, when they take on Pitt at three thirty or four o'clock. I think we'll know on Saturday what the actual kickoff time is going to be. But it's relatively it's relatively the same thing. It's either going to be three thirty or four o'clock, depending on which which of the TV networks it ends up, well, which of the which of the channels it ends up within the ESPN family of networks. So Miami losing as far as the ACC really doesn't change a whole lot because right now, I mean for Louisville, I mean it does for the rest of the ACC see at least some teams. But Kelly Dickey, U ofl Statistical Guru, you can follow him on Twitter at Real Card Game. He's always providing good info and stats, but also you know, doing research that you know. I wouldn't even be able to know how to find this out. But Louisville will have a fifteen percent chance of making the AEC Championship Game if they beat Stanford and Pittsburgh because of the possibility of three or more teams tying at six and two. Louisville would win a multi team tiebreaker with Miami and Clemson because those three teams didn't play each other and have no common opponents, causing the tie breaker to be the combined win percentage of acc opponents. So Louisville wins out, they'll they'll be a two loss team. Right now, you have no unbeaten teams other than SMU, so SMU's by themselves, and if you ended up having a bunch of two loss teams, I mean, the scenario, I mean again, it's it's it's impossible, Like we don't even need to give this any energy, any life. Nobody needs to get their hopes up. Louisville not playing in the AEC championship game, let's just kind of leave it at that. I guess technically there are certain results that would all have to play out for it to happen. But it's just again, you hear things like, well, crazier things have happened, or people reference the old dumb and dumber line. So you're telling me there's a chance. No, let's not even do that because it's just not gonna happen. And it's okay. I wish they could play in the AEC Championship, but you know, their losses earlier this year they were I mean, they were to good teams. But you know what you don't get credit. I mean, you get credit from the committee, and you clearly got it. Last week when we saw the results from the first edition of the college Football Playoff rankings. You're sitting at what twenty two, and you have three losses, the only three loss team and it's because your losses. Yeah, you're not getting a whole lot of credit for losing those games, but it also doesn't mean that you're bad because you were toe to toe with teams that the committee thinks is really good. In fact, I wonder if Louisville might is your mic on and you're clicking in there, oh yeah, and breathing, So just be to be aware.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Well I didn't. I don't think you knew that it was on. That's why I said that.
Speaker 3: So gotta pay attention.
Speaker 1: It happens. No, it happens, It happens. It's fine. So anyways, the committee might look at what happened with Miami and maybe they view Louisville's close win, close loss against them not as impressive. I mean, I doubt that ends up happening, but you know, I still feel all things considered, Louisvill's win against Clemson was huge, and it gives them a chance to finish strong. If they went out, here's what they've done. They will have beat Clemson for the first time that's already happened in the street to Kentucky. And if they win a bowl game, and that's so so tough to envision what that'll look like is we don't know who's going to play what bowl game. It's going to be like it's the ultimate like bowl games or the ultimate unknown at this point. But if you do get into bowl game and you win, you can claim that you had back to back I mean, you don't just claim it, it's the truth, it's facts. You will have back to back ten win seasons for only the second time in school history, and that would give you momentum heading into the next year. So you know, yeah, I think the ACC Championship was certainly something fans were justified and aiming for. And I think we even can look at the results at this point and say, yeah, you were justified because you know, a play here and a play there, you might be sitting here undefeated. I Mean, I hate saying that because it sounds like something losers say, but I think we all know that, like, yeah, like, if they don't change the call in the SMU game, you had momentum at that point, right if they call the incomplete pass a fumble like the initially did whenever you were playing Miami and you got the scoop and score, I mean, who knows what would have happened then, So yeah, it's a lot of would it could have shout us. But I was pretty down earlier this year when it comes to football. And it wasn't just because it wasn't because I'm like, man, I was so wrong. I thought Jeff would have a better quarterback or I really thought that, you know, it wasn't about ability, it was about, you know, putting it together. And it's unfortunate that they had some early issues at doing that that kept them from taking advantage of those big opportunities. But the win against Clemson confirmed to me that, like, yeah, we know, at the end of the day, you got to you gotta win games, right, you don't feel good about losing, but there's always a lot more to it than just that that you can that you pay attention to. And I looked at this team feeling like, man, I know the record doesn't say this, and your record is all that really matters as far as how people perceive you. But I think they're good. Why can't they win? And we knew why, right, Silly mistakes, terrible timing, And I'm not gonna blame it all on reps, but clearly there's been some there's been some questionable officiating throughout the year. So you know, if they finished strong, I'm still gonna be bummed at that happened, but I'll live with it. And I think if those things play out, I think you can say in the two years into the brom era, you've got still and this thing looks like it's working out. So we'll see what happens. Now with Kentucky real quick, I don't really have anything to add when it comes to any update on their football program or their season because they you know, they didn't have a game this past week. They were off, just like Louisville was, and now they've got Murray State coming in. They'll then travel to Austin, Texas for their last SEC game, and then of course the Governor's Cup game is the final game for everybody involved.
Speaker 3: And I sort of heard you say it earlier when you were talking to Tony Venetti on his show, it's you kind of hope that you get to that point where they are sort of defeated, something happens little viets up to a couple of touchdown lead in that and then you just kind of hope that all right, this is I'm kind of just crumbling their season away. But you also still had the caveat of that seems to be the only game where Mark Stoops gets his teams ready to go, not not the big games that they just had, but just to close out the season. And it would be just like last year, a season where the Kentucky fans weren't happy with where they were at. They're probably going into the Louisville game just thinking that they're going to lose, but they had the mentality of let's just go ahead and beat Louisville and then we can call this again day, regardless of the wind total.
Speaker 1: They've always had the mindset. And I want to get I want to take a break in just a second. I want to revisit this on the other side because I want to make sure I give myself enough time here, because I think the news about Stoops today, for those who didn't who missed it, he was asked, you know about rumors of retirement and speculation that maybe he's he's maybe just going to walk away. He clarified today there's zero percent chance that he does that. I mean zero. In fact, he said zero percent chance I do that. Next question, that was all he said about it. So he's probably bothered. That's that's out there, and I get it if i'm him. But the scenario where they win this game, meaning Kentucky, and it can happen, and I get why Louisville fans would be worried and Kentucky fans would feel really really confident, But the scenario where they would pull it off, given how the season have gone for both of these teams, I think the news from today actually makes it a little bit harder for Kentucky. And we'll talk about it next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to the phone calls coming up here in the five o'clock hour, five or two. If I have seven to one, seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. It's Coffee and Company fuel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me, the company man. Mister John Alden is not here today. He's out, and we've got the one and only Misstrawston Montgomery.
Speaker 3: From one coming to another.
Speaker 1: That's right, You're damn right. Couldn't have said it better, my man. All right, So I want to use the little time I have left here in the four o'clock hour to just quickly, I guess, pick up where I left off when it comes to the conversation about the Governor's Cup game. I didn't really want today to be a day where we talk about it. But I'm also never going to act like it's not a big deal. It is to both sides, and I think most agree and would acknowledge that and wouldn't really have any issues saying, yeah, losing to Kentucky hurts more than losing to anybody. Beating Kentucky in most instances, feels better than beating anybody. Now, maybe that's not always gonna be the case, but Louisville is in a drought in this rivalry matchup in the Governor's Cup series that I never thought was possible, But here we are, so you know, given the way the seasons have gone for both teams, clearly you would say Louisville is pleased to see Kentucky is, you know, not good this year. But what always has worried me about this is that I don't think that they're not good because of talent. I don't know how talented they are top to bottom, but I think they've got some guys that are gonna play in the NFL, and they just haven't been able to put it together. And maybe they turn it on late. But I know, if you're a Kentucky fan, you probably don't believe that. You probably are assuming the opposite, because when you get to this point in the year, like they know that they're gonna be what one in seven, I'm sorry, is it one in seven or two and six in the SEC?
Speaker 3: Think let me see here, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, because it sounds crazy to say that they'll go one and seven in the SEC, but I think that is what's going to happen. No, yeah, right now, if you look at the SEC standings, they've played seven of their eight games. They're only the only SEC game they have left is that Texas and right now they're one and six, So they'll finish one and seven, so you know, like that's who they are, Like that's just you know. But but they didn't lose to Auburn or Florida or Vandy because you know, what, are you going to South Carolina? Because South those teams just have players that Kentucky can't match up with. Now, they lost close games than you would have said. Man, they can't just get over the hume. But like they end up getting killed by Auburn, the end up getting killed by Florida. I mean they've had I mean, Vandy didn't kill them, but you know, Vandy didn't really have a whole lot of trouble beating them, it seemed like, so you know, the ability for them to just all right, here we go, it's Louisville game. Let's let's now turn it on and play for real and put out put a performance together that shows just how good week we can be when we play well. I mean, I guess it's possible, but the human element within sports is a powerful thing to where if they get killed by Texas and they bear you know, let's say they just you know, they who cares what they do against Murty State. Let's just say they win that game, and they let a lot of backups play because they want to keep people healthy or whatever. And then they get killed at Texas and they come back home to host Louisville. There's going to be renewed energy, but I don't know how much they're going to be able to even believe it internally, because all it'll take is a couple of plays and you're reminded that you're you went one in seven in your league, and that like this was the worst season that your coach has had in the last ten years. Like they'll know that to where they may not just lay down, But you don't get to Week twelve and not know who you are. Yes, I know last year they were. They weren't in a good play. They had an embarrassing loss to a bad South Carolina team before they played Louisville. There was no real excitement about the game from the Kentucky side that I could tell. We had many Kentucky fans calling in during that week that didn't want to say that their team was going to win, but they just wanted to tell me that Louisville sucks and then it won't be because Louisville is good. That they win, it'll be just because you know Kentucky's you know, they're just they got a bad quarterback or this and that. But then when they go out and win, I mean, like last year sucked because it's the one year where it's set up to where you should be able to just take care of business and in the streak and you couldn't do it. But think about this year if they come in one in seven and their only wins to speak of are against two mac teams, Murray State and somehow Ole Miss like, and then you still can't beat them in a year where you're gonna be probably top twenty in the college football playoff rankings. I mean, I felt like last year there wasn't gonna be a scenario that could set up worse than that as far as how it played out. But a loss here, I think is worse than that. If I'm being honest with you, I know you're at their place and last year was at home, so maybe that's a big factor to you fair enough, but their football fan base I think is as lifeless as I've ever heard them under Mark Stoops And I get why because this is not just a bad year, like you shouldn't be this bad. And I'm you know, don't shoot the messenger here because I'm just gonna say this real quick before we go to the before we get to the top of the hour. Last week, they were coming off of I guess their loss to Tennessee on KSR. The crew was kind of talking about, like, you know, how they see this thing playing out, and I think, and I don't want tom. You know, at least half of them or maybe more than half of the crew kind of said that they hope that Stoops calls it quits and kind of moves on and finishes strong by beating Louisville. And I'm thinking, you know what, I could see that happening right he's on his way out. Boy, might as well do what we've always done well under Stoops, and that's play well against Louisville. But like now that's not going to be there. He's coming back and he always was. I guess it doesn't mean that they can't turn it on and like finish strong and go. I guess what would that be if they end up So right now they're three and six overall, they'll be four and seven when that game was played. So I guess they could get to five and seven and they wouldn't claim that that means anything, but they would also know that they still own Louisville. And like, I just don't want that to happen, and I don't believe that it will. But I said that last year and I don't. It'd be a totally different situation if I felt like Kentucky was one in six in the SEC right now because they have no good players and no talent, no depth, that's not it at all. They're a mess for a variety of reasons, but I don't believe talent is one of them. All Right, quick break, five o'clock hours next, we'll finish strong here, don't go anywhere. Keep it locked on Sports Talk seven ninety. This report is sponsored by Rates Fenced Heating out This afternoon, just a few issues. Sixty four westbound around the Snyder Freeway crash, another one southbound on the Snyder at Brownsboro Road. At first in Jefferson and Abraham flexed