Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services in sure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Iye on the Ball. I'm Steve Rivera. Lukey who we have here, Jagan Saws? I have to pick up on the side of the road, casino.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the side of the road, you almost had to pick me up on the side of the road because getting out and all of a sudden, I look down on my gas cage and I'm on fumes.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to be here before I got here, But yeah, of course you're here. We're at the del Song. Are you kidding me? What a fantastic place to be at.
Speaker 3: Great place to be at all kinds of TVs. If you want to come and watch ball games, bet on them. It's a it's a neat facility. We've been talking about being here for a long time and it's very cool to be here.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the space is like, but it's one of two thousand.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but all I know is they got a big, big old bar over there. Yea and run ahead of use the games right. Uh, you know what, I wasn't sure you're gonna show up today, Dodgers. The Dodgers were a little shaky, you know what it was shake. I was very nervous going into the game last night.
Speaker 2: You should have been. But they did a nice job. Five oh right.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, you know, you know, Mookie went yard in the first inning, you know, second batter, and you get to one nothing leading you go, okay, I know that's not a lot, but it's better than being down one zip. And then they just took care of business. And the you know, the bullpen was incredible. I've been highly critical of them all season long, and they you know, they it was a bullpen game and they shut them.
Speaker 2: Out right right right. So now game five tomorrow or tomorrow five o'clocks one today? Who's playing to day?
Speaker 3: You got the Tigers and the uh and the Indians coming up. Indians, the Guardians coming up, uh just about about ready to get started. And then you'll you're gonna have the the Yankees and the and the Royals.
Speaker 2: Uh so in a couple of hours. Okay, So that's that's game five to no. Both of those are games four. H Okay.
Speaker 3: Yankees lead Yankees lead to one and the Tiger's lead to one. Yankees run the bridge.
Speaker 2: It's just so many people dissecting and what's going on with the playoffs already with you know, a couple of number ones, ye kind of just not number ones, but the better team say, not winning. U good to see you hadn't been It's been a while. It's been a while. It's been a while. It's been a little cranky this week's team. You've been working.
Speaker 3: You have to not only just working, but I'm really I'm really pissed at there is on a football team.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, I want to go there. I was gonna go there with you because uh and I said this with the guys on Monday. Uh you you you called in. I think it was a Monday. I called you the monday after they beat Utah. I called that this week are premature evaluation because you called in. You says, Hey, the one thing I don't want to hear are the people ragging on the coaches blah blah blah. Okay, A week later, is it okay? No, it's not okay, Well it isn't. It isn't okay.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's the realization that that there's still a transition going on, and and you know, and when you think about, yes, they beat Utah, but they only score twenty three points, right, So so really, while they beat Utah look good doing it, and the offense looked pretty good, they were effective enough to win the game, the offense still is having issues and I don't know if it's having issues with transition, having issues with how they call plays, what they're calling, what they're running. Brent Brannan mentioned in the press conference, guys are going in the wrong direction. It's just amazing, right, So there's still obviously a transition going on, you know, they that's the tough part of what we saw. But the good part of what we're seeing is that this defense is good. The defense is really good. The defense kept them in the game. Texas Tech has been averaging forty points a game, right And if you know, walking into the stadium, if you'd have said, and this is the old cliche, if you'd have said, you're giving Texas Tech twenty eight points, you're going to take that. And I would have taken that all day long, thinking that Arizona offense would be able to do outscore that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they're going to have to be good the rest of the season, right because you just don't know about the rfence. It is very weird that the offense is doing what it's doing because you think that they're capable of scoring more. We all know about the number one target team. Act is going to be the number one target with whether people like it or not. Burnett needs to be target number two. Right And and it just kind of shows you last year's offense on the receiver end, they had teammates, they had Cowing, they had they had the book, right, yeah, they had. They had a few guys. This year they don't seem to have a few guys, although it seems like they have a few guys. Well there there's more they do, but there's more.
Speaker 3: The guys that we were doing all the things that they did last year, a bunch of them are gone.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The whole running back room has changed. Even Speedy Luke is not is not you know in there anymore. There isn't There isn't a Jacob Cowing. You know. Uh, you thought Lamonious Craig was was gonna could be that guy. But again, if there's a transition, uh and and things are different enough that they're still getting used to each other offensively, those things aren't showing themselves yet. You know, I'd like to think within the next the next couple of weeks to three weeks, whatever it takes, you know that this offense will begin to click a little. In the meantime, you just they got to do enough to win these games. These are two hard games coming up. They're at buyu on on Saturday. Then they got Colorado coming in on the following week.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So if they don't win the two, this season is going to be on the brink that that said, they could win both because we talked about being doing the area. You know, we have Peterson on I think on Tuesday or Monday. How how this is an Arizona thing. Don't expect them to win they win. Expect them to win, they don't win, right, I mean, you've seen it all your life and it continues that trend, and the year after having prosperity, the year after they don't. I mean that's sometimes unexplainable, but here you just have to show them.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to keep my mind from wandering over to that thing of is this happening again? After a ten win season. It's happening four straight, right, It's happened every time so far. And they're three and two right now. Arguably we thought they would be three and two at this point anyways, but not this three and two.
Speaker 2: No, that's why it makes it look bad because you're suspected they shouldn't be they shouldn't be three and two. But we okay, we give you they'll be three and two. But the thing is that it gives you pause to say, is this gonna happen again? And I've said this, I don't think I've said this with you since you've been gone. But do you trust this team? Right? Well?
Speaker 3: You think you think you can't help, but think that Texas Tech was a missed opportunity to really get ahead, as they say, get ahead of the chains, right, be four and one, uh with a with a win over a road win over a top ten team, to be four and one, two and zero in the conference, and you know, the what if of that is incredible? And now it's kind of like buy us a must game? Yeah right by b y U is one that I think it was that one game that we thought we thought Central Florida was more a more.
Speaker 2: Likely loss than BYU. But you thought BYU could be tough.
Speaker 3: So if they don't beat by if they beat BYU, you.
Speaker 2: Know now they might lose the central for it. So let me ask you this. They beat Utah? Was it more? And this show could be coming from Salt Lake City? If we were in Salt Lake City, what do you think people in Salt Lake are saying? We blew this? This was not about Arizona. We weren't good enough that day. Okay, So if that that's a different scenario, right. But was it Utah or was it Arizona against Utah where Arizona played better and Utah just didn't show up? Or should Utah had? They should have won? They should have won. Let me tell you what who should have win? You taught you they had two opportunities in the red zone early and didn't score.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The coach just said, we're gonna I was almost to say that word, Uh, We're gonna do this all night. This is continued to go and he kind of blew it with that, and Arizona got you know what I'm saying in the end. Do I think Arizona's a better team than Utah? Go there? I do not okay, play some times, but close.
Speaker 3: Enough that Utah had to play well to win the game. To win the game, right, they couldn't play bad and expect to win.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They played ten times, they say, Arizona win win four for six and four, I'll give you that. I'll give you that. Okay, Texas Tech give me Arizona. Arizona win seven okay. And and then and they had one day. They're they're right that one day Arizona clearly a better team both sides, right, Yeah, better better team, better quarterback, better skilled players, and they just lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you hear any noise in the background, we're at Del Soul Consumer Del Sol, come and visit us. I know we already have one of our guys who listened to us regularly here in town, here in town, here at the casino.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here at the Soul Sports Sports Book. So if you come in, come looking for us.
Speaker 2: We're uh.
Speaker 3: We were surrounded by televisions the uh the playoff game that is in the top of the first inning.
Speaker 2: They just put it up on the big screen.
Speaker 3: A great place to come and sit, have a drink, maybe put put a little some little some some on a on a couple of these games. Uh, there there's an an NFL NFL game tonight. You got the forty nine ers, the damn forty nine ers against the Seahawks at it starting about five twenty or five thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, there's so many things that can we'll go back to the game now and moving forward that we're concerning. I had never I've been in this business a while. I remember Sean Miller talking about his team, I don't know two three years in. This team can't dribble, can't pass, can't shoot, and it was bad. It was like, holy crap. And then Rennan says, this team doesn't know where they're going. Yeah, how did that sit with you? I was just you were there.
Speaker 3: You were disconcerting to hear all that, because he's one being honest. Yeah, and what are you doing being honest?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, it was very I'm like, what the hell is going on over there? What did you?
Speaker 3: What did you do in the two weeks leading up to the you know, the time you had off because you look great, you know against you and maybe you didn't look so great against Utah, but because you won the game, we thought you looked great.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's the title of the story right there. Maybe it was Utah, but the thing is they got to win and they're moving on. And I don't know how much the new offensive coordinator Plait apart. Yeah, it different. Everybody was applauding the hell out of it on the Utah game, and then the week later was what the hell just happened?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is, it gave you the sense that all things were fixed after the Utah game. And I think I when I called, you know, the Monday after the game, I think I said something along those lines that, Okay, you know, they took the two weeks, they they handled their issues.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 3: You know, we're looking at possibly a special season coming up. And then they went right back to where they were not as bad as Kansas State because the Kansas State the defense played poorly as well. But again, look at that game Kansas Kansas State scored thirty one points. Again, if somebody, if you keep a team, you liked to think that Arizona can keep a team. They're around thirty points, that they have a really good to winning. Sure, and and again let's let's let's let's be real about this. You know, the uh, the Texas Techai that last touchdown, right, you know, was it was a you know, it was a backbreaker, but you know they got that got him to twenty eight points. But that was a you know, that was a twenty one twenty one, uh eighteen game at that point.
Speaker 2: So so the one thing that I said, and I said a week and I kind of don't want to do it again, but I will, uh the stars, the stars disappointed teammate doesn't fumble any fumble, Yeah, okay, And then you have you have the kicking the kick he missed, he missed a field.
Speaker 3: He gets Player of the week after kicking a field if he makes that field, Galvez, who wins the game.
Speaker 2: It's a different tone of the game, right, And then your quarterback continues to struggle, and I think that you guys, you fans and things I witnessed, this is this is this disheartening because last year, the ball bounced fantastic every where every week, everywhere, every week, right in the final moments of final seven weeks. What it really did, it really did and then you kind of have to appreciate maybe that's what it was. It was just a magical year and they played well. Now this year they're trying to find. No, he's not playing well, I don't know what anybody well, he.
Speaker 3: He's he's you feel like he's pressing a little bit. He's trying to make throws that he didn't have to make last year. Right, he keeps throwing that. He keeps throwing that ball into the corner of the end zone that's been picked off what I think three times.
Speaker 2: Now he's going deeper, long more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, you're not you're you know, you're you're seeing the mid the mid range throws to team act but not to anybody else. Uh, you know, Uh, it's it's it's it's been, it's been difficult to watch.
Speaker 2: And let's talk about about our guest today. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we wanted to have a fantastic guest. We got one, uh Dr Robins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doctor Robbie Robbins, the UH now former University of Arizona president.
Speaker 2: Huge sports fan.
Speaker 3: You know, he was a guy that you saw at all the UH at all the sporting events front row kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: For those of you who don't know his background, he was a junior college quarter back growing up in Mississippi, had dreams of being the next Archie manning at Mississippi, UH got injured, didn't play beyond beyond junior college. Big fan though, and UH and and he showed that he was involved in deeply involved in all the hirings and UH and things going on as as best as we can tell, actually made the decisions for a couple of the coaching hires. You like, you kind of think he let he's he has left the program in a better place than it was.
Speaker 2: Oh, with a question when he got here.
Speaker 3: Now we understand though that he was obviously partially responsible for for.
Speaker 2: What happened with UH with Kevin Someling.
Speaker 3: But big Fan, UH, we promised we were going to stick to sports today. So we're going to do that where we're not going to go into all the other controversy.
Speaker 2: You bring up something, but the thing about it, and I'm not trying to give doctor elia had not had it not been for someone, you would not have had fish and you would not have corrected it correctly.
Speaker 3: Right And again again, who didn't think that Kevin Someone was a good hire at the time? Right, So that that's as much on Kevin Someone as was.
Speaker 2: The phones are going to be open, so you can right, no, no, no, no, we're not getting calls. We got to call it.
Speaker 3: No, we can call guests, but we're not We can't take calls taken.
Speaker 2: Were taking close to it now, Okay, no, no problem. Uh. So you know, you know, listen to us as you usually do, if you want to come by, if.
Speaker 3: You if you if you want to send us a message via our Twitter feed, our face, Facebook message and my my iHeart email is on the is on both the Facebook and Twitter.
Speaker 2: You can send us an email. We've got it up.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you if you have a comment you want to make, we'll we'll read it on there.
Speaker 3: Most of the people have our texts right right, yeah, yeah, a lot of people. You have our text messages. We'll be able to take because work we're still getting settled on on all the and all the technolog new technology.
Speaker 2: We're dealing with. Because we might even have a guest or two in town here and tell us like we're you know, I'll cook you something here to to listen. We'll bring them on. There's some of the guys who walk listen and call every now and a grind. Okay, we got to go. We'll be right back now.
Speaker 6: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Dollar. That's dollar enter in right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco YUCKI trye.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 8: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 3: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: With type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve polos. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choosroom Come visit Creative Awards at Creative Awardsazy dot com or see our Idea center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 10: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 5: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona to BK nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity Got to commitment to lyric syncredit rates and available loan programs or suchet to change un notice.
Speaker 9: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 12: In sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 2: On a road trip or just around town.
Speaker 10: Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate, no mattering your credit score.
Speaker 3: You can borrow better with peering me.
Speaker 10: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 4: Got Bugs, Termites, bees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 2: Arizona Pest Control is.
Speaker 4: Your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 6: Breaking down all the uses and ohs. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on blox sportsporteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Al the Ball here on Fox Sibos fourteen. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Jacob Dolls, and we're here at the Cascinadel Soul. I want to thank you veronicas Ron Pabasca is the marketing manager here at.
Speaker 3: The Cassinodel Soul also set all this up. She's sitting over here, but I think she's a little shy, doesn't want to come up on the Oh.
Speaker 2: She's talking to one of our guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she does over there, hanging out with Nick Bruns, our producer who's here and set up all the technology. Got a little dicey for a couple of minutes there, but we're on the air and there there's Veronica and so we're here at this. We're here at the Soul Sports Sports Book. We're having a having a great time. The games are on the bedding, windows are open, the bar is open. They got some drink specials going today. Beard of the Month. Here is the MODELO Especial Draft and cors Light and Miller Light Alumina bottles for three seventy five Someliar is that? I say, that's me Somelli Year, Somelier Selections, Grounded Wine Company, Cabernet Savignon, the Pinot Noir, Grenache Rose, Sauvignon Blanca, and Napa Valley for nine dollars. And then Bartender Creations. I love the names of these. Their bartenders create drinks. She told us about this My Sancha's Revenge and the Creeper featuring Maestro Dobell Tequila. Those are seven fifty. So come and give those a shot. Hang out here with us, Come come in here and watch the baseball Game's on right now, the Indians of taking an elite in the top of the first inning on the Tigers. You got the NFL game coming on at five point fifteen. It's the forty nine Ers at the Seahawks forty nine ers or three and a half point favorites the over runners forty eight and a half if you're inclined to throw something down on that. And then at five o'clock the Yankees and the Royals, and that's also a game four coming up.
Speaker 2: I wonder who the my Sancho revenge is for if you know what it means, you know what it means, right, hopeing it's never happened to you, exactly exactly. So let's kind of go back to football. We'll talk a little more about basketball because you were at Red Blue. I was at Red Blue. Uh, but you know football needs to turn the corner, yes, me, after how many weeks you.
Speaker 3: Have to be going well, yeah, well you're five weeks into the season and uh, you know again, if there's a transition that's still taking place, then maybe it's you know, a lot more to it, a lot harder than any of us thought it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing that I brought up this week after seeing what happened, and you know, I'm kind of in the psychology of the crap that I follow, and you you kind of you put poo it or not. But I was watching it and I'm thinking they're missing something. They're missing something. And I'm not gonna say offensively or defensely, it's not that they're not playing hard. To me, they're not just not playing hard. And you know that comes to me that comes from either they're not respecting Rennan or they're not playing hard for the man or they're just not playing hard, and it's like they don't care. And I said this when you were there before. I think where they just it was indifference against Kansas State rights. Just to me, it was nothing. They just had nothing else to the first drive. And I don't want to say that's true, but that's just how I feel. Well, I I I'm Kansas State. That's that's so long ago and I barely remember it.
Speaker 3: But but you know, yeah, it looked like they lost the interest in that game when they you know, when they start getting beat up the Texas Techa. It was like they just couldn't, right, they just couldn't. They couldn't do things. They couldn't move the ball. They they couldn't make the great throw. They couldn't make the cat you know that that flea flip flicker that they threw.
Speaker 2: It was interest from being a touchdown. Yeah, right, well, and and they've been interest from.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that, you know, uh, you know, just some some things that you know, the missed field goal, uh uh.
Speaker 2: Tyler Loop has missed a couple of key field goals.
Speaker 3: He keeps getting Player of the Week, but he's missed a couple of key field.
Speaker 2: Goals and he's in his money. Right, you want you'd rather have them than not have it, right.
Speaker 3: So to me, it's just there's just as you say, there's just a little something missing. I don't think it's effort. I really don't. It may look like where would you go with it? It may it may look like effort because it's things that if he just would have done this or that. I don't know that it's so much that they didn't try to do that. It's as much did they know what to do those kinds of things. It looks like it looks like the receivers aren't getting open, like like you know, Jacob Cowen was open all year long last year. Right, he's had to And that's the thing. Is he when he gets that time? Is he looking to do too much?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Is there a receiver that he can throw to? But he says, well, I've got time, so I'm gonna go over here those kinds of things. Is he does does norfal fet? Is he expecting too much of himself?
Speaker 2: Well? And that's translating into some ineffective And I joke with this because the gods, the gods, uh, the Jinx gods show up every now and again, and you guys are still cursed. I still believe it's something that it's just you've been Arizona. If that's a verb, I'm gonna use that as a verb. And that said, well, you're only gonna have certain success and this is not their day because it happens. I mean, come on to me. This was like a basketball game that I've seen a thousand times. Oh, we just show up, you play because we're Arizona, and we'll kind of uh, you know, the half asset if you will, yea, and but you know what, no problem, we'll come back and do it. And they did. They took the lead. Okay, they're gonna win this. It's not gonna be pretty. And then they gave it up. They spent all their emotions and then they gave it up. But Arizona has that. Arizona football has absolutely no business no doing that. No, no, no. But you win ten games last year, you think you might be able to you know, gives you that self awareness that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 3: Sure, no, I yeah, yeah, it's I'm gonna stick with the transition thing until I see something different. I'm not I'm not seeing a lack of effort.
Speaker 2: How many times can you tell your wife you love her and then she believes you. You're five weeks in plus the spring, I love you, I love you, love you, well, prove it, prove it. Yeah, and then then this comes up.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, I mean it's Steve. There's things wrong. Certain, there's definitely there's there's definitely things wrong with the offense that that things aren't happening for the offense. Whatever it is, if it's if it's scheme, if it's communicating the scheme, if it's understanding the scheme, if it's.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem that it's that different. I mean really, because they're they're going crazy. And then okay, so let's go. Let's go to the defense now and playing fantastic rank if that's the right word for it. Now they lose two guys, two bigger guys in the in the defensive back the field. Are those guys coming back? Duke Stukes has done and so is h I don't know about Gunner Gunnery.
Speaker 3: Well, he was on crutches. That didn't look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So those are two dudes that you kind of need, although you know everyone that's shade every man the next man up? What else can you do? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So yeah, how effective is the defense going to be going forward?
Speaker 2: I hear you? I yeah, I mean when I when I start Gunner.
Speaker 3: Model and out of COmON the locker room because our seats are on that end. And I just happened to look down and I said, this guy crutches, that's Gunner Maldonado.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, no, yes, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's the defense. You can't lose people. Wow, they don't have the depth to be losing a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 3: And you know, we're seeing, we're seeing how depth is playing such a role.
Speaker 2: Not everywhere, right.
Speaker 3: You know, Vanderbilt beats Alabama because their front line players can compete with anybody. But it's when you start losing those guys that you can't keep up. And then Alabama part brings in another five star and you've got a walk on coming in. But you know, what happened with Vanderbilt and Alabama showed that there's not the gap that so many people predicted was going to happen with Nil and the transfer portal. In fact, the gap has closed.
Speaker 2: Well, you haven't even mentioned that the quarterback at Bannerbolts a homie hop me from Albuquque. Yeah, homie from Albucrique. Wo just last year played for New Mexico State and and got him to a bowl game. I mean, and coach Kills now with Vanderbilt. I mean it's funny because, uh, I still think that the big team's top teams think a lot of themselves show up, don't no problem, it doesn't work out. I mean, look at what happened last week. You know, Arkansas Beach, Tennessee, Missouri gets slaughtered.
Speaker 3: Now it was to to Texas and m but they got slaughtered. You know, they got slaughtered. It's gonna continue.
Speaker 2: Miami should have lost, right, It's gonna continue to happen. It's just just what it is. I think that was it with the offense defense. And what do you think about the offensive coordinator coordinator situation? I don't you know, I don't know, Steve. I mean, it's that's that's probably a solution.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, I mean, Lootino Babers knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 3: It maybe you know, the complaint I heard most about him was that he's still running an offense from the nineties, which I'm not.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Their offense looked. Their offense doesn't look old. But you know, he's he didn't all of a sudden become a dumb coach, right right. He knows how to coach an offense. Now, is there something being lost in the translation of bringing along this other guy?
Speaker 2: Is is is.
Speaker 3: Brent Brennan seeing something that says, I'm not liking the plays that that the Dinos calling. Let's let's accelerate. Uh, you know, the new guy coming in and calling plays. I don't know, but that's it. That's all part of how them trying to figure out what the offense should be and can be doing.
Speaker 2: Right, right, and we'll see that was that was too off? Now right, he's this is second opportunity right to do something and we'll see. Now let's go to another third thing that I have my concern on. And and you know, color Bill, whether he's listening to us or not, that that crowd, you were part of that crowd.
Speaker 3: Disappointing, so disappointing. What are you supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You go on the road, you beat the top ten team, you whether forgetting what happened going into that game? How much more how more excited could you have been about Arizona football right than that? And and and then to still say I'm not showing up right right, I mean, come on, but we've seen this. I'll throw my I'm gonna throw my brother under the bus right now. Okay, So my brother Rick, who you know, he's old, he's had back surgery, he's you know, it's hard for him to go to.
Speaker 2: Games and stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh, we go to lunch as we always do on on on Wednesdays, and and we sit down at lunch and the first thing he says is, damn games at eight o'clock. I'm not going. I'm like, really, really, you're no. This was before the Utah game, because they had announced the eight o'clock start gamn eight o'clock game. I'm forgetting, I'm not going. And I said, okay, mister, eight o'clock is too late. What the hell are you gonna be? You're gonna be that fan that we always talk about. You're gonna be that fan who knows we do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So then by the end of lunch, he, you know, he had kind of eased off on it. Then Utah wins. All right, so he sends me this text about how proud he is of the team, what a great effort, so inspiring. These guys are great. And I said, okay, you're going mister eight o'clock. Are you going to the game or not? I didn't say hey, that was nice. I just said, are you going to the game or not? And he, of course he went. But that's it. That's who the fans are. That's who they are, that's what they now. Guess what's gonna happen with the Colorado game. It's too hot? Yeah, I don't want to sit in the sun.
Speaker 2: They're sold out, So I think the thing about a jay for the Colorado game, it's not more about Arizona. It's a curiosity of Colorado, right, which is fine, sell out, sellout, and if they pull off that win, how but how many people are gonna be happy?
Speaker 3: But Steve, how many people would take its? Still aren't going to go?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Possibly those people that sit up in the upper deck on the east side. We're in the sun the entire game. How many of those seats are gonna are gonna stay empty because they said, now it's too hot. Well, the other game was too late, So I didn't come to that one. Then why did you buy tickets if you're gonna always look for a reason to not go to a game?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, you saw on the thread that with the in terms of I said, it's a Goldilocks fans, this one's just right, this one's too hard, this is too hot, this is too late, this one's just right. And how many times you heard this is just right? The conditions will we find if they win? The thing about it? We see it on TV. Utah fans showed up, Kansas State showed up. You know, b YU fans, they're gonna show up. Where don't they show up?
Speaker 3: They're waiting for you, and they don't care who's coming in, right, they're waiting for whoever is coming in. And Arizona fans are gonna have to get to that. But you know, somebody I talked to you in the flight department said we're years away from Arizona fan being like that, and it may never happen.
Speaker 2: Wait, Jay, you've been hearing all your life. Yeah, it's never happened. Yeah, no, it never has. We talked about this. Are you gonna be here for certain things? That's one of the things that you've never be around for, you know, occasional, occasional things. And this is not basketball. Football still needs that to.
Speaker 3: Support, right, No, absolutely, And and I don't know when Arizona fan or if Arizona look Steve, they did it for basketball. And I know we're talking fifteen thousand versus fifty thousand. And I'm not saying you got to sell out every game with you, but when you're coming off of a win like they were coming off of against against Utah and you're five thousand seats short, yeah, what the hell is wrong with.
Speaker 2: You here in t uj If it was a seven o'clock game, six o'clock, it would have been the same.
Speaker 3: It would have been the same thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the eight o'clock thing is an excuse. And seeing, here's the thing that UCLA and USC aren't coming to town anymore, right they would people come out for that because they were UCLA and USC.
Speaker 2: Washington to a degree.
Speaker 3: But even the Oregon games, you know, they weren't necessarily you know, filling up the state for Oregon. You know, it's like just the mystique of USC and UCLA. People will come to that game. But even though even even when they sucked. Arizona fan has got to come out to see Arizona, not to come out and say, well, let's see who they're playing, because because the when you say Iowa States coming in, Central Florida's coming in, West Virginia's coming in, those things aren't gonna pump anybody up.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm curious. You don't need to tell me who you talk to. But that's probably the you know, in the in the in the building, there just the overall scape of scope of the people thinking, yeah, it's gonna be a while and might not be in my lifetime. What can we do? Well, you kind of try to do it already and just go to the games even if you can. The way free tickets, yeah, I don't know if they would use them, and we'll go down for Colorado because people have bought about it, about about all the takes. You'll see if they actually use them.
Speaker 3: Right, all rights, take our next break. We're here at the Casino del Sold Sports Sports Book. Come and join us, have a drink, make a bet, hang out with us. We're gonna be here on occasional Thursdays. We're gonna be back here again in two weeks, but would love for you to stop by. We're gonna be here till five o'clock watching games.
Speaker 2: Uh real quick. One of our call listeners are saying, wow, and he's right.
Speaker 3: He's right, We're right, we're here. We're talking about the same stuff every week, exactly. Okay, stick around, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attiy. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 6: And your life.
Speaker 13: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, in freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead to age and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Markets All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 15: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebels Poker dot com.
Speaker 6: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio AP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome that boy on the ball here. I'm Steve Rivera. Good Todays my special code. Thanks well, I know you. I don't know that text book.
Speaker 3: Put Okay, okay, I've been.
Speaker 2: Called the worst season the text book.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna say I missed this, you know. I mean I'm working and I need to be working. Uh, I do miss it, you know, the conversation. I'm sitting there all through the game on Saturday night, right thinking what am I gonna say on Monday?
Speaker 2: What am I say Monday?
Speaker 3: What am I gonna sad? And then realize I don't have to say anything on Monday.
Speaker 2: Well, it's better to eat than not eat.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very important, very important to both to me and my family. But I'm working hard, Steve, just working thing, getting up every day works for that word.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I shower every day again, putting on, putting it on clothes for me. You know, Covid, I was going to tell you that I did shower to day. No, no, no, Steve Covid changed my whole, my whole hygiene pattern and uh and let's just say it got it. It got attle dices sometimes, right, Yeah, you know, I mean I was wearing the same T shirts every day.
Speaker 2: They're all kind of stinky, so I got to get some new ones. Okay, No, now that you have a job you can afford to exactly exactly, but yeah, we're at Soul Sports because you know de Soul, We're in the sports book. Uh.
Speaker 3: There is our first show here of six that we're gonna do uh on Thursdays.
Speaker 2: We're back here, well, back.
Speaker 3: Here in two weeks because we're it just took a while to get this ball rolling, so we didn't get one in in September, so this is sort of our September show. We're doing one in two weeks. Uh on two weeks from today back here and then the the November show, November the fourteenth. Would love to have you out here. Come and hang with us. We'll put you on the air, maybe talk a little sports, lay a bet down, watch some games, have a little something to eat, and the bar is open. Let me have those drinks again. You can get their their their bartended creations. Their drinks today are my Sancha's Revenge, which that just sounds scary. That sounds like one of my my aunts who used to like get in bar fights.
Speaker 2: Right. And then uh, well actually baby stole your your your your friends, yeah, husband or something exactly.
Speaker 3: And then the Creeper which has Maestro Dope, Doughbell or Dobell Tequila. Those are seven fifty if you come and get the bartender creation. Then they've also got some some beer specials and some wine specials. So a lot going on over here. But would love to have you over here, check us out, meet us. Would well, we'll sign your We'll sign your cap if you want us to, or we won't.
Speaker 2: Do you value you. We have a special guest here at four o'clock, right, yes, doctor Robbins. And you're just telling me, you know he's gonna be here for four half hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna have him for a half hour starting four o'clock. We'll obviously have a commercial break stuck in there. We won't be able to take any questions news. We're not gonna do breaking news because we're gonna have doctor Robbins. We'll keep an eye on the games for you. Zero it's one zero Cleveland. They scored one on the top of the first. But uh, we're we're gonna have doctor Robins for half an hour. And we told him we would stick to sports because you know what's he's had enough, right He's he's out of the job at the U of a big sports fan. Still still as smart as he ever was. You know, he didn't get Dummery. He's a smart guy. I love to hear some of his perspective on some of the things going on in sports right now.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 3: I don't will ask him what he's up to. I don't think he's a guy that's gonna retire. No guy, they're all, yeah, a guy like him. His you know, his brain returned to mush if he stopped.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because you know, I'm going through some heart stuff and I should ask him. By the way, Doc, I'm having a little complication.
Speaker 3: What do you could you give me some free If he throws you on the ground and starts feeling you up, I'm gonna I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave the radio, Steve. I haven't done this in a while.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't I don't give I don't give phone phone examinations.
Speaker 2: Right well, by the way, Steve, I didn't know you had a hearty. We've always been nice to him though, you never know. We're always nice to him because I got him a book, and I'll say, have you started to read this damn thing now? Yes?
Speaker 3: Time, you know, I remember my first interview with him when he first got here. In my job for biz Tussan, I did do a profile of him and they gave me exactly twenty minutes to him and they said, you got twenty minutes? What man?
Speaker 2: Maybe it was a half an hour. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Whatever the time was, I knew I was cramming every had all the questions, all the questions I had to cram in.
Speaker 2: There we get I get to I get to the.
Speaker 3: Time, and uh, the the media guy that was with him is looking at he's pointing at his watch like you're out of time, and I, you know, so I said, thank you, Doc Crams, appreciate all the time. He goes, we're not talking about sports. So no, I didn't get any more time. And this guy said, no, you gotta go, and so he was. He was kind of bummed that I didn't get around his talking sports with him. Yeah, it was pretty funny. So he's a big sports fan, big sports fan. You got another guy here.
Speaker 2: One of our calls up Vic, another Dodger, and I thought, I, you know, I said, we're gonna do the show tomorrow. VIC may not show up if they lose tonight and Jay might not show up. I'm gonna be here by myself. I'd be here.
Speaker 3: I would be here, but man I would have I would have been seriously down. I look going in. I did not want the Dodgers to have to play the Padres. I saw the Padres in person, all right, and I'm like, you know, I was sitting next to my my wife at the game, and I said, I don't want to see these guys, So tell me.
Speaker 2: Explain to me. Maybe Vick will come on later. Explain to me. The Machado incident with the ball one, and then you know, then the dugout and then the the left fielder who caught the ball and kind of taunted them or whatever. That was fantastic, by the way, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It wasn't. There was nothing fantastic about that. And Manny Machata is a big giant. The blank c k if you know what I mean. And I think, so, what did he do? I didn't even know what he threw. He threw a ball into the dog, but he threw he threw it pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard Yesterordy. It was not that hard.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't. He didn't roll the ball in Okay, he was. He didn't toss it and he because he's a jerk, he was thrown it at somebody in the dog had some context he was. There was a lot of chirping going on throughout the game and here and and what happened was was that uh uh uh.
Speaker 2: Machada threw the ball and then.
Speaker 3: Just the ball that they throw around the infield, and he threw and he throws a ball at the dugout and again that's not where he would normally throw that ball, right, So he throws the ball and then he gets struck out and the Dodger pitcher chirps at him. He's chirping back thro all you on nature. Jerks and Profart started it all when he kept makes the catch.
Speaker 2: People know what did he catch a ball or not?
Speaker 3: He's standing there, he doesn't show the ball, he's he's talking to the fans.
Speaker 2: That's you know.
Speaker 3: So then later in the game, that's when somebody threw something at him, and then that would led to all the other things that happened in that game.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't have I.
Speaker 3: Don't even know Jerks and Profile, I didn't know. I hadn't even heard of him until I saw him when I went to the Poets game a couple of weeks ago. And then he does that. You know, at Dodger Stadium, what do you expect fans to do. They're gonna rank, They're gonna get on you, they're gonna rank. Two fans got arrested out there because of the stuff that was going on out there, So you know, so he does that, of course, and so it just it just went on, and so the team looked and all of that on top of the fact that these two teams just don't like each other.
Speaker 2: Again with two guys being the rest of the Dodger Stadium, let's come Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well too, I think two guys from the same row. Vin, were you one of those guys?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's funny, he said, that's one of his players.
Speaker 3: So look, it's a it's a hated rivalry and good, you know, I don't mind the rivalry. You know, they're they're there are one hundred miles from each other, right, they're both really good. The rivalry is great, but you know, it's become like an a s u as on a football rivalry, right, it's going over the line, right, brother, But you know it's going over the line sometimes, and the stuff that happened the other night went over the line. It really did on both sides. I'm not saying, you know, the Dodgers are are blameless than any of this. You know, I'm not trying to say that. What I am saying, though, is I know I didn't like Manny machadav when he was a Dodger, Right, he was a Dodger, and I didn't like him back then, so, you know, because I just knew he was that he's a big steaming pile of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay, we'll see that Tomorrow's night. Tomorrow night, the game, the game decider, right, yeah, yeah, it's what happens. Yeah, it's a yeah, it's uh, you know, it's a game five. It's at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: That means nothing, right, you know, they've you know, they split at each at each team's field both.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: They the Projects blasted the Dodgers in Game two ten to one. The Dodgers blasted them last night in San Diego eight to nothing. Whatever happens tomorrow night, nobody should be surprised.
Speaker 2: Padres blowout.
Speaker 3: Project is close win Dodgers, close win Dodgers blow out you got especially this year, he got you Darvis starting for for uh the Padres, you got yellow motives starting for the uh for the uh the Dodgers. It should it should be a great game. And I gotta lock in. I just I just realized that the game is is at five o'clock tomorrow. My wife and I were going to go out to an anniversary dinner and now we're know what you know? She says, we're watching the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the boss will do that another day, do the boss whatever the boss wants. Yeah, exactly, Okay, so we can't take any calls here. We're at the casino Dell Soul, one of our new stops.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: We have about five more shows. Maybe we'll get more shows down the road if we're halfway decent at think yep, uh, as we move forward for the football season, right, it will promote today's tonight's game. Yes, forty nine Ers and Seahawks. Whares that game at.
Speaker 3: It's in it's in Seattle, so you know again, I mean the forty nine ers, they're they're in a tough spot. Yeah, they're two and three, right, they lose this game now they're two and four and Seattle is a tough place to win when Seattle's.
Speaker 2: Not even any good. And they're good this year, right, they're halfway decent. Right, And in San Francisco we lost done to the Super Bowl a few times, yeah, recently, yep. So we'll see what happens. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you if you want to reach us and have us a talk about any topics you have, you can send us an email, our email addresses on our is on our twitter feed. Some of you have our our personal phone number, our personal cell phone numbers. Can send us a text.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We're trying to figure out a way to be able to take calls to you know, we can call out. We're gonna call doctor Robinson. He's gonna do this this interview over the phone. But we can't take calls until we get this figured out.
Speaker 2: Well, let's we hit one of our guys is here. Vic? He called, I think he called in yesterday. I wanted to see if you've changed your mind on Noah. Vic. He was, he was, he's you know, Vic, mister happy. It was a little critical on on Noah in a sense that you know he hasn't played well. You still behind that, I am, He's uh Stee. We talked it's the star factor.
Speaker 16: Uh, Jay, go back to the Dodgers when their stars didn't show up, they lost, and the and the Padre guys came through the stars, and yesterday the Dodger stars showed up. It's a and I had all I mean, I still do. This is one thing I haven't waivered on. I think Noah's gonna find it. H Jay, I disagree with you on on the coaching change. They've had those guys since last January and and you can go out to the park and run routes and then get to know your guys and that's what they do. This is, uh, this is something else that's going on here, whether it's a personal thing with t Mac and Noah just getting on the same page with the other guys. I'm kind of with everybody else in Tucson. Where's the little ten yard slant and a little fifty Everything seems to be either a run or a forty yard pass downfield and that's not working.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know the I guess the point I'm trying to make regarding transition is that it's it's it's it's more or less of just not being on the same page for some reason, and I don't know why. And you're right, they've been you know, they had a full spring to go through it, they had a fall camp to go through. But again, nothing. It's still hard until you start doing that stuff in games. And so you think you know what you're supposed to do until you've got a defense out there trying to make you do something else. And so I think there's there might be something to that. But you're right, were five games in, you shouldn't still be running in the wrong direction.
Speaker 16: And I'll tell you I've been around teams. I've told you guys, I was with those great Domingo's high school teams. It didn't take it took five seconds to know they were good and and and it took five seconds to know when I was with a bad team.
Speaker 2: Okay, so your fight week, shuld is this team any good? Just good? Maybe right, and much much less than you thought they would be.
Speaker 16: Much less. I had so much faith in this uh going in. And you know what, I had faith because I'm telling you, the character of these.
Speaker 2: Kids, anybody you know them because you know the family or whatever.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I thought the character of these guys were going to show up and and and it just hasn't come that way yet.
Speaker 2: Gosh darn it. But I'm telling you, I don't want to give.
Speaker 1: Up on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's why I wanted to go to Jay. Can it be fixed? And how soon that? Well, you's got to be.
Speaker 3: Fixed by day after tomorrow, so you turn out of time.
Speaker 2: You can't lose.
Speaker 3: Look, if you want to achieve the things that you want to you expected to achieve at the beginning of this year.
Speaker 2: Now your your margin for air, uh is gone? Right.
Speaker 3: You gave yourself a margin for air in the Utah game, but you lost it. You know, you know you if they're three and three and two and and and uh and one and two in the league is not is not where you want to be and that there you know, if they do that, they're they're a seven and five team.
Speaker 2: Uh something like that. Don't agree with you.
Speaker 3: Time is ticking and you better do it right away or else or out or else right because they're gonna and this is a tough one because Bay's undefeated and they're at home, which of course an afternoon game on Fox, which.
Speaker 2: Means Arizona will win this game because of the situation, because they're not supposed to because it's supposed to because because thanks, We've got to take appreciated Victor. All Right, we've got to take our break.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come back doctor Robbie Robbins, the former president of the u of A big sports fan. We're gonna talk sports with him. He'll be here for half an hour starting four o'clock. He'll be a commercial commercial break in there, but we'll get him on the phone and we'll talk about a lot of the stuff that he went through as president of the u of A. But just get some of his thoughts on the landscape of sports. Who's he a fan of, Steve He's worked all these great universities, right, yeah, okay, so stick around. We'll be right back with doctor Robbins.