Speaker 1: Just then we got ready with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is High on the Ball breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, So, like like we've been talking about over the weekend, there's a lot of a lot of sports things that went on across different leagues and across different levels. First one, uh, the draft happened, and for the first time since two thousand and eight, there was four players drafted first, one obviously being t mac going to the Panthers with the eighth overall pick, and then Big Jonas Abnea going with the thirty seventh overall pick in the second round, and followed up by Tyler loop the outstanding kicker who tied tied.
Speaker 1: The record right with the sixty two yarder against the record.
Speaker 3: Okay, he broke the record. He got drafted in the sixth round. And then Jacory Krossky Merritt, who's going to be the next guest, drafted at two hundred and forty fifth in this seventh round to the Commanders. Tyler Lup went to the Raven Sorry I didn't forgot to mention that. And then we had Quality Conley as an undrafted free agent go into the Bengals. So that's gonna be interesting. Another interesting draft story that came out of the weekend was a South Point grad, Lathan Ransom, got drafted by the Panthers in the fourth round, played for the Buckeyes, and then you know, the big story was obviously that sha Door slide with everything, which I don't know.
Speaker 4: One of the things that came out. There's a lot of things that came out with the Shador thing that I've dealt with. You know, I haven't been really the day to day guy in forever, maybe fifteen years, but I've saw it a lot where the helicopter parent was there here a time or two. Not all the time because you wouldn't allow it, but they kind of became a nuisance. And what bigger nuisance than Dean Sanders with his boys, because that's who they had as a coach for all these you know, their lifetime really but it's also a thing of ego, and my poop doesn't stink. I'm going to ask you a question. You've come across those athletes, oh, for sure, Well, you know you've been you haven't been in the business long. I've been in a long time, and there's a point where you say stop.
Speaker 1: Being a jerk and know it's crazy. You see it not only in the big sports like men's basketball and football. You see it in softball, you see it in soccer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well guess what because they've been playing this all their time and their parents are telling you the next best thing, blah blah blah. And that's fine. If you need encouragement, that's fine. But at some point, guess what, you have to live the real life, and the real life is nothing like that, and it's a letdown of no, you know, to me, I'll.
Speaker 1: Say this realistic.
Speaker 4: When I was the paper, you know, I did a lot of different things, and when the paper was gone, I had to kind of say, what the hell do I do now? I have to reinvent myself because of the situation. Right, That's how athletes are after after this stops, now, what what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? And I've said this, I know a lot of great athletes. I've been able to meet a lot of great ones and good dudes, a lot of them, not so good dudes some of them, not a lot of them. But it's like when that runs out, some of the bad ones turn out to be good ones because they have no choice, but they have to be good ones. But some of them will have a hard time because they don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Be a good guy. Does it make sense? When the music stops, what are you gonna do? Yeah? And yeah, you wake up and the moment's over, and it's like, well, Okay, I'm thirty, I can't play sports anymore, or twenty eight, I can't play sports anymore. I kind of screwed around my whole entire college career. And what am I going to do now? What am I good for? Well, in some cases, we've seen that turn into a bus player, waiter at a local restaurant, lipping burgers. Eventually they make it. I'm just saying, but there's no harm, no foul with that. But but you know, yeah, it's a culture shock. Yeah sure, yeah, keep it going. Yeah all right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The tennis regionals got announced men and women, men and women. Okay, Arizona is gonna be playing Denver University, which men and women? The men's men's team is going to be playing, Yeah, Denver University. They're the tenn seed right now, so they should be playing here. And then the women are going to the Virginia Regional and they are set to play against Illinois in the first round. That's this week yeah, this weekend, okay, on Friday. Yeah, So it's been interesting. I'm not gonna be here this weekend. But have you been to a tennis No, They's supposed to be pretty fun because.
Speaker 4: They just hoot and holler and just play, right. It's not like Wimbledon, go down down in front tennis collaps. Yeah, keeping that going Arizona. Former Arizona defensive lineman Isaiah Johnson committed to North Carolina.
Speaker 1: He's okay. His issue is he couldn't stay home, that he couldn't stay on the field, a little bit out of shape, can't play all three downs, decent, rotational d tackle. Well, he's going to play for Belichick, so his size is a premium though size of premium. Well, if you guys stay in shape, you guys stay in shape. Right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was interesting to me having been in that press conference and I didn't go too many with that night of the post. Right his name was mentioned. It was almost like they threw that out purposely so he could stay. Like, we acknowledge that you're going to be a good player without saying don't go don't go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Did you get that or no? No, Well, I'm not shocked that he entered, but it's definitely a piece they would like to have. How many left for how did they have left in terms of the tackles?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, no left the program since the spring game about five or five? Okay, So surprised by any of them?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And very marginal numbers. Yeah, very few? Right, Yeah. I think the one that I was kind of shocked with not because you want to play for an opportunity, just because I thought he was happy in this situation was justin flow. Now do I get why he did it? Yes? Wait wait wait okay, okay, so why because he wants to play? Is he any good? No? Okay, well there you go. Giving the level he's good at New Mexico. Okay, that's cool. So let me ask you how did he get to the places he got to? Well, he was a highly talented five start crew. Well that means you could play. He can play, but his problem is he goes a mile a minute. Yeah, he's a little in a game that isn't that way. It structured, Yeah, it's structured. You have to be a thinking linebacker. Had trouble reading coverages, and he was seaball hit ball type of dude. You saw it cost ume against USC when Jeed Fish was here in twenty twenty three, a couple of roughing the passer penalties. If you can't control yourself on the field, who you're gonna hit, you're not going to see the field very much. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just remember him all that, all the things you say. And the first time that we saw him, Jay saw him coming for the press conference, it was like, who is his dude? He was like a Donnis coming in and they don't get these dudes very often. But then he didn't play or he played, and he was just like, what the hell are you thinking?
Speaker 1: He had a couple of good games and then he was yeah, yeah the thallion and a half court twice, just like the mistakes, what are you thinking?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What are you thinking? But Jamel eventually redeemed himself right, well, well he would have really reduced shot. But you know, for every good thing he did on the field, I think he had ten tackles in that USC game. You had to pass interference penalties or roughing the passer penalties. So it's like you did all this good and then you're then he takes it away. It takes it, do it Okay.
Speaker 3: Women's basketball team signed Daneya Trammel. That got announced today. She's come. She's six foot one from Cincinnati. So that's that's another one.
Speaker 1: We've got a few. They got a couple, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's another one I was gonna say, as well as a guard from Spain that used to go to SMU named Maria Jurado.
Speaker 1: I think she was a commit to SMU. Yeah, she was a committed she didn't go there.
Speaker 3: And and oh here's a cool one. The gymnast, the Arizona Jim Kats, their coaching staff got named co Coaching Staff of the Year by College Gym News.
Speaker 1: That's huge.
Speaker 4: I mean that's huge because he's been he joked, he's been here a long time, here a long time, and he they're kind of finally breaking the door of at least knocking on the door for the you know, the right door.
Speaker 1: They've been a consistent program of always you know, knocking on that door. Top twenty five, top fifteen. Uh, you look in the Pac ten packed Paul of Era. Utah was phenomenal. Yeah, Ucla was phenomenal. So it's hard to break through playing. Didn't they beat Utah? Didn't They did be the first time in forever in Oklahoma. Maybe not Oklahoma, but yeah, there was like, holy, holy crap, we can be a team. But he's done a tremendous shop. Yeah, he's a good dude. We had him on not too Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think his assistants were named like Assistance of the Year or something like that as well.
Speaker 7: A couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I've always wondered, I mean, he does a great job of what he does. Does how do you coach like you're not gonna be going and slipping like oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well yeah he watched me. Yeah you know what I mean, Like some some coaches like oh you move this way. But even then, even then it's like.
Speaker 4: Golf, soccer, and only it's more of motivational than it is show, you know, show or yeah no, but I agree with you. Once you're a coach, those maybe they have their own coaches, you know it kind of like sweet coaches and things like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe they have their.
Speaker 3: Own maybe from like a judge's perspective too, it's like, oh, you know, you just moved a little bit too, a bit like on your landing or something like that.
Speaker 1: Hey, dude, I just try to get to my car without breaking the lift. There's step one to step five and six. Issues.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sometimes it's just safer to take the elevator here.
Speaker 1: But hold the rail, baby, hold.
Speaker 3: The Rail baseball team lost the series against Texas Tech over the weekend. They split the doubleheader on Saturday. After that Friday game got rained out or yeah, well, yeah, I was ranged.
Speaker 4: Are they still on top twenty five? I think they're hanging in there at twenty four before? Yeah, because I was wondering. But then that's the new poll.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then it got New Mexico State tomorrow at starting at six at High Corbett.
Speaker 1: I can't go anywhere near there. They still want my tuition.
Speaker 7: Oh man, running from the law, No from the school.
Speaker 1: Nothing. Lot.
Speaker 3: The softball team split the series against San Diego State at San Diego. They have their final series before the Big twelve Softball Championship.
Speaker 1: Where's the it's going to be in Oklahoma City? Oh, Hall of Fame Stadia, Okay, nice A nice venue to see what happens there. I think it's it might be their last year where that's the venue? Oh really. I think the contracts coming up, and I would expect the SEC drive Oklahoma and Texas to try to jump in there. Oh okay, yeah it makes sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 3: It starts on Friday going through Sunday, different times, different starting times throughout the series. Moving on to some of the NBA news over the weekend, Lakers lost last night by three points.
Speaker 1: No boy, Chris heals me twenty boocks.
Speaker 3: It was a good game, though I believe it was Luca had thirty seven.
Speaker 7: Is that what it says?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Probably both. All the teams played both really well. The first the second game and the third game were much alike where the Lakers couldn't hold on at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they got beat.
Speaker 4: But that game was fantastic because I don't know, if you notice, I call it the shot making League because these shots were coming down from far.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And not only those shots, I mean there was a special camera angle that a lot of people said they haven't seen it. I don't watch the NBA too much, so I don't want to say that I've never seen it and speak like from a knowledgeable perspective like that, But yeah, I guess that ceiling cam had never been seen on that. It was like a late, late foul.
Speaker 1: But oh okay, yeah yeah, yeah above the backboard.
Speaker 3: No, it looks like it was straight down because you could see the hoop and which was was this it.
Speaker 7: Was when Lebron failed Anthony Edward.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yea, yeah, that one because he stepped him.
Speaker 1: On the wrist of Yeah, that was a huge play.
Speaker 7: I mean there was only like, I think ten seconds.
Speaker 1: Huge play, yeah, and gave them the ball.
Speaker 7: Right, and so it was just it was interesting to see that.
Speaker 1: Did you watch a bunch of the I watched the Nuggets game. I saw the ending of that dunk getting getting the ball off his finger at point one. Yeah. Watched the Laker game kind of no friends, I was kind of watching just want to see what they would lose.
Speaker 4: And they're for Minnesota, so they did the thing that nobody really watched during the regular season because the Ragings were horrible. They're gonna start watching again now, which the games have been pretty good, right, But the one thing that people are telling me, it's so much more physical now than it was in the regular season. And two they still walked the hell out of that ball. Did you see Pritchard's basket the other last time, whatever it was, he started, he dribbled, dribble, dribbled, stopped, and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you just call the game the way you do in the playoffs, deficiating, you're gonna get more viewership. Yeah, you gotta have some defense and it's more physical. Just yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 4: But the regular seasons just like, yeah, just sit in the perimeter, get your shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the Pacers in Bucks series, Pacers won. But the big swing that came out of that was that Damian Lillard tore his achilles right, So his twenty five, uh, the five and twenty twenty six season is going to be in jeopardy because of like the rehab and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't play pick a ball. That's why I go take the elevator. They're done and they yeah, you could might see, honest a Manda trade after the season.
Speaker 4: Well, Milwaukee just a team that won the title a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, yeah, unfortunately, unfortunately. I'm a Sun's fan. You may be another thirty years before you think so. I don't think so. Okay, Hey, I didn't think we're gonna be good this year, and we weren't. We're gonna read to it. We'll be fine. How many championships have you won in your lifetan, it doesn't matter. It's gotta happen, exactly, gotta happen. You don't sound like a Cowboy fan.
Speaker 4: It's gonna you born in ninety six five next, yeah, like the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: They've been to one NBA finals since I was born.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, because ninety three they went to the part I covered that. I covered that. That was fun, and before.
Speaker 1: That was against the Celtics. And you better, if you want success in your life, son, you better pick a better team. That's why I'm a Bronco fan. Even then, even why I'm a Bronco fan in a better area.
Speaker 7: You know, well, just wrap you gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah with the Rockets and Warriors started at seven tonight, and the Cavaliers and the Heat start in about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, the scow we can get ahold of JR. Cory right yep.
Speaker 2: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in ponus box. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Check check that's check enter it now. Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 8: Dot com are you ready, ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 9: So fasco YUCKI trye The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go to or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 4: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorattle Rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed, and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more.
Speaker 1: Than fifteen years. Given we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 10: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional products supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com at.
Speaker 1: Nova home Loans.
Speaker 11: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine point two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lendrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the nut notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcatfan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 5: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 7: Fire mining so important.
Speaker 13: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in the process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 1: Dobm dot com.
Speaker 9: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 1: You'll find it.
Speaker 9: All here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Breaking down all the exes and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Troy hutch us In. And then we got Ray at the controls. Now on the phone, we have Jacorey Crosskey Merrit from U of A via Albuquerque and New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Jacorey, how are you doing.
Speaker 6: I'm good, I'm doing good.
Speaker 1: How you doing good? Congratulations? We're doing fine. What a what a Saturday it was for you? At least in my eyes, how'd you feel Saturday?
Speaker 6: It was amazing? It was it was the day my dream came true. And it's just beginning now. This again special.
Speaker 1: You know, Jaccorey, you have definitely had an interesting path to the NFL, being at New Mexico, then one year at Arizona and having you know, to work out and stuff like that and get ready for the draft. Just take me through that moment of hearing your name selected and just thinking about all that work you put in. Don't forget the previous in the previous stop to Alabama State as well, but just you know, all that work and the trials and tribulations that you went through this past season out of Arizona. To hear your name selected in the NFL.
Speaker 6: Draft, it was. It was amazing to see all that that work payoff after, you know, a different journey that I had to go on, especially missing my last year of college football due to lab It's it was. It was challenging, but my mindset was like just to stay focused and like trusting God, knowing something's good. It's gonna come from this and that's just that's the main thing. I trusted God. The whole process, family and coaches helped me out a lot. So I mean, it all just it all was a team effort and end up ended up happening it out in our favor.
Speaker 4: You know, it's good that you stuck with it, right because I'm thinking, let me just put you through this last year. Last season, when you become with the eligibility issues, you could have easily said, Okay, I'm done, I've had enough, YadA YadA. But then Troy was telling me you were on the field still being there as a teammate won and being kind of the opponent running back.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, for sure, I love the game. It was it'll be hard just to you know, just stop playing. I figured, well, I know I have a whole lot of more football le me, and I know it wasn't the end not being able to play my senior year, and I just I just got to, you know, think my coaches and teammates for like, just keep me focused on. They definitely helped me out a lot. So, I mean, it's it's a blessing.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you real quick, because I think a lot of people they saw you the first game. They loved you. I know I did you. I'm a New Mexico guy too. I came here from from New Mexico, and I think this guy is pretty damn good. And I'm thinking if this guy could just play more right, And I think were you hopeful that you would eventually come back?
Speaker 6: I definitely thought I would be able to come back. We was working the whole season. I mean every week we had the office trying to see what's going on with the what's the news? But uh, it never got back to then. I wish I could have played for sure, even.
Speaker 1: Good well, Troy and I talked about this just even before you came on to me. You were worth two or three two or three wins.
Speaker 6: Oh for sure. I definitely I definitely could have hlped the team out. It hurt me every Sunday not knowing that I couldn't be out there with those guys, especially like it's working hard during the summer, getting up early, just training hard. It definitely hurt me and it would have been special. I definitely could have helped out way more than year.
Speaker 1: You know, and you mentioned that the coaches and how they helped you along and the relationships you built throughout your time in college football. But I just wanted you to talk about that relationship with Coach Carter and what he meant to you this past season as the running back coach. And I know he is a guy that across the country, a lot of people look at Coach Cutter as one of the top running back coaches and just your experience getting to play for him and going through this time with him as well.
Speaker 14: H Coach Carter, he's.
Speaker 6: One and one man. He wants he wants you to be great on and off the field, happy, hope. I got the you know, run across the guy like that my last year and I mean, dude is just he's amazing. He helped me a lot with this, with this process as well, just making sure I was crispy on and off the field, like just getting me ready through the process. I mean with meetings, it's like knowing how they're gonna gonna roll out and you know, just taking my game to the next level. He's he's the type of coach that's gonna point out my bad stuff and we're gonna we're gonna work at it every day. So I mean, I'm blessed and have a coach like that my last year.
Speaker 1: So when you go, are you scheduled to be out in Washington anytime soon?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir? When you camp start next week?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, oh next week. So there's no press conference for the draftees.
Speaker 14: We had one over the zone.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, we had one over zone.
Speaker 4: So let me let me ask you because I said I used to live in now not Albuquerque, but I grew up in Santa Fe. So I'm from New Mexico.
Speaker 1: So when you eventually you know, two three years down the road, is Tucson going to be a home for you?
Speaker 4: Is Albuquerque is going to be a home for you in terms of you know, people you go see and go visit.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking more of both. I love Tucson. I'm thinking Tucson. It's my second home right now, so I'm liking Tucson.
Speaker 1: When you get there for camp, what what are some of your expectations next week heading into UH training camp, rookie camp, and just what are you mostly excited about UH to get to there.
Speaker 6: I'm excited about the staff, just seeing it in person, seeing what kind of value I can add to the team. That's what I'm mostly the site about just being able to go out there and make a name early for myself then making a team. So I'm just I'm just ready to go down, go down and work and and show.
Speaker 14: The coaches that they they got to go.
Speaker 4: So tell me you sit out last year, but you're still working out and you're doing your thing. How important or how crucial was that All Star Game? Because you were fantastic?
Speaker 6: That All Star Game helped me out a lot. Shout out to Air for inviting me, but definitely helped me out a lot. Had a chance to go out and play with, you know, some of the best guys across the country, even after seeing out of Yeah, it was it was good to show that I can I can still play with the best of them. I mean, I just had to take the I had to. I just had to. I just had to take the best of advantage. And like that's exactly what I did. That's something that I was hoping that I got a chance to do. And when I got that chance, it was no, it was no looking back. So it definitely helped me out a lot.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be having a chance to work with a guy like Jannon Daniels and that offense and just seeing what the Commanders did last season. Is such a young team with a lot of young players and you faces there just you know, have you gotten a phone call from any of the players on the team or or obviously you got the phone call from the head coach Dan Quinn.
Speaker 6: It's been a couple of guys followed me on the team that love. I can't wait to get out there and meet the guys. I mean, I know it's a good brotherhood out there and just ready to meet him in person.
Speaker 1: So what advice did once you got drafted? Did a guy like coach Carter or coach Brennan give you As you are making your way through this process and is starting to get prepared for training.
Speaker 6: Camp every day they're like, it's not it's not the end, Like you know.
Speaker 14: You're gonna have to be ready for this when you.
Speaker 6: When you get to the next level. I mean, like those guys believe they see like day want and that's that's that's huge to me. They was preparing me for the next level and those like every day and like it's just advancing that they they seen the talent, they knew what I was capable of and it's it was. It was amazing. Like those guys been with me from the starting. They definitely knew that I had the talent to go.
Speaker 14: To the next level.
Speaker 1: So who's your team growing up?
Speaker 6: I'm a Cowboys and in the Pittsburgh Stillers fan. Those were my team's growing up. But I mean that don't matter right now. Washington that's my team now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no questions.
Speaker 4: So did you you grew up watching the Cowboys because they were probably on.
Speaker 14: The love the Cowboys, but gave me so I'm definitely decided about going to Wash.
Speaker 4: So I give Troy a grief two here because he's a Bronco and I grew up with Cowboys fans because it was the only thing on TV back in the day. I gave up on them after the Super Bowl because it's been a tough life Corey since then. Hm, the Redskins have been almost a better just last year, right, a better run, Commander. So yeah, what I said, Riskins, do you have an old dude? Have an old dude? Yeah, they've had they had a great run last year.
Speaker 6: Uh, and we're looking forward to build on it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely looking for the build on it.
Speaker 1: Is there any as you go through this process and you get closer to the season, you know, preseason football. Is there anybody on that roster in terms of the running back room that you're excited to get to learn from, like a guy like Austin Eckler or Robinson there. I know they have a lot of backs there that that have gone through the grind of NFL seasons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm definitely ready to get down to meet those guys. I mean, those are events in the game and I definitely respect them. Ready to get there and learn the small details, learn the ends and offs of the game, and we're just ready to to just see see how things are ran. Look, Force is just learning a lot and just just being pro early don't have the Ricky mindset, haven't. I'm kind of going in there where I am going there with, you know, the older guy mindset and like just still still respecting those guys, but like just coming, you know, to to get a spot. So I'm definitely ready to go and meet the guys and learn from them.
Speaker 4: So how long is the Is the camp maybe for a few days a week and then you get ready for the summer.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I think it's on a weekend and then we're going to another portion of the season.
Speaker 4: Okay, but Ja Corey, appreciate your time. Good luck to you, congratulations and all that, because, as Troy said, what a journey.
Speaker 1: To this point.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, you will, good luck out the good ones. Yeah to Corey, Corey, Kross, Gyme Marr.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting I want to confuse the last two names. No cool, No, very cool. I still think two or three wins. There was one of those close games.
Speaker 7: Tech man, that's the one that comes to mind first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's kind of when they started to unravel West Virginia. If you're just able to run the ball in that game. Yeah yeah, I mean, imagine how much different the football season would have gone. Yeah. Maybe the honestly, maybe the Kansas State is different. The Kansas State game is different as a one possession game going into the second half and then it kind of imploded. Offense wasn't really clicking. You weren't running the football. So if you had that running back of stabilizing force.
Speaker 4: That's what you needed with this offense, because you would, you're exactly right, relieve pressure from the running the passion attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think another to note is also like the relief for quality, because I mean, I mean he did great obviously, I mean signed with That's another thing. Yeah, is like having a one two like that and keeping them both. I mean, everybody's gonna get tired throughout a game, but like keeping them semi fresh. It's like, yeah, that wears on defenses.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean there you saw what they had in terms of the transportal, their mindset. Okay, Jacory kross Kimer, He's gonna be our number one back. Number two back is going to be Kaally Conley, but those guys are going to get the majority of the touches. You're gonna have a red zone back, I do it all back, and that's how we're gonna work this offense. And then it kind of.
Speaker 4: Just got I know, this would have been a question of an excuse to to Britain, But did he ever talk about his absence at some point in review season review? How how it would have been had he had I.
Speaker 1: Think he did make an I can't exactly remember the exact quote, but I think he's talked about kind of starting behind the eight ball at the start of the season. Only merit about Raymond Palito as well, having deal of offensive line issues and injuries on the line too. No, and it's very true. It's not an excuse.
Speaker 4: It's just something that happened, right, and you can't It's hard to overcome something like that. It's like, uh, I don't know, so maybe Tommy losing a Bradley.
Speaker 1: Yeah for a while that the whole season, Well, imagine Bradley. Well, I was gonna say, imagine it was in a basketball without Tobyo Waka. Now nobody thought a Waka was gonna be great, but kind of that stabilizing toughness. Yeah, okay, take that away. How well did they do? They do very well without Tobio Waka.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, it would have.
Speaker 3: Been really interesting too, kind of like on that toughness part, because I mean, like everybody talks about like left tackles, right.
Speaker 7: Like being like the anchor of the line.
Speaker 3: And then you know, going into a big twelve that's kind of I feel like more known as like a pass happy kind of not too tough of a defense kind of conference. I mean, just being able to have a running game like that would have been probably would done wonders for the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, let's take a break here, come back, maybe take some calls to to end of the day. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's the loved Coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona the House, the lead ledge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of will not.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 1: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 4: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaking roof, They've got you covered. Don't bumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. At twenty seven nineteen note Tampbele or colhm at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 11: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead madge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is.
Speaker 1: Back behind the grill.
Speaker 16: We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pieas means more money in your pocket. Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less It's More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where less is more, federally insured and by NCUA an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, your Troy Hutchesson with gooasycats dot com and got ready here with the with us here.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, finish out your school year, just a few days left. Excited you panicky? No you don't. You're not graduating your You come back next.
Speaker 7: Year either way.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right, and this is nothing. This is my break. Let a break. What a nice thing to do.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, if you want to call five two zero four one. It was good to talk to Corey. I didn't know that you hadn't talked to him before.
Speaker 1: No, we never got an opportunity to really interview him. He came late during the fall because the originally he went to Ole miss uh transfer to Arizona, played in that game and that was it. That was it, and then the eligibility things happened, and they're not going to put somebody out there that has the eligibility thing going.
Speaker 4: Right, And they kind of talked about it right then, until you stop talking.
Speaker 1: About saying, oh, we're still going to figured it out. We're still week by week by week, and then by a week nine you're like, yeah, this isn't gonna.
Speaker 4: Happen, right and still may have helped him at the final two games. Yeah, it's a very sad situation, but good for him now that he's able to move on and possibly at lantic spot.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think a very underrated back. I know this is a heavy running back draft class, but you get a guy like that in the seventh round and there have been Hall of Fame seven round running backs and I'm not saying he's going to be. That's a long way away from now, but I think it's a guy that could make an impact year one. It wouldn't surprise me if some injuries happened, he comes out and plays and puts together five six hundred yards as a rookie. Just need a chance. Maybe I'll get a chance.
Speaker 4: Okay, And then you answered your own question first time Arizona went back to back your year on first round picks eight ninety eighty nine, ninety give me the answers eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I thought that it was ninety nine.
Speaker 7: Chris McCallister when he went to the Ravens, what.
Speaker 1: To number eleven?
Speaker 7: Ten?
Speaker 1: Ten? Went off?
Speaker 3: And then trunk candidate who went to the Saint Louis Rams at thirty one?
Speaker 4: Okay, and then in eight ninety I'm sorry, two number.
Speaker 3: Ones, yeah, and then yeah, ninety two number ones it was Chris Singleton and Anthony Smith in eight and eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Singleton went to Miami Patriots, Patriots and Anthony Smith went to Oakland. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there's not a huge history of NFL draft, right, but but you know some pretty good players, very good players.
Speaker 1: Some guys that shine in the second and later round. Do you think that Brennan can continue what Jed started? Take your time. I'm trying to figure out how to answer this, I'm gonna say I'm gonna say no. With the NFL players, I think it's going to be And that's not to say they're not going to be a successful program, but I think you're going to see more of the line lines and lines of Rich Rod where the recruiting might not be there, the NFL talent might not be there, but you're winning games. So let me ask you what did What was the secret saw for Jed NFL model and people bought into it, and people bought into it talking about being the thirty third That was his big mantra, being the thirty third NFL team, having an NFL mindset with the players, the coaching staff, and just really hitting the ground running in terms of working hard and finding hidden gems that not a lot of people looked at, like Jonas Salvanaa was a gift. Really, it just happened at the right time. You're talking about a kid that played in a big program in Hawaii, But unfortunately for him during that time, he had COVID, so not a lot of coaches bibles to go over to Hawaii and make those trips, so that limited his recruitment. Arizona found him and started from week one, right, so people believed what Jed was saying for sure the two thirty three and I guess he came through because he found some guys and it was a lot of to do with playing time. We're going to play you right away.
Speaker 17: M hm.
Speaker 1: They loved the conversation about that. And he had guys on his staff including him, that have coached at the NFL.
Speaker 4: Right, so, perfect storm, perfect storm at a number of levels. Right with that, ex players or ex coaches, talented, talented players obviously coached them up, caught them well, and believed in the saying that we're the team thirty three.
Speaker 3: Do you think on the offensive side? I mean there were one of the stories that I remember. One of the things that I remember hearing was that said Dege he was at with Jackson Dart at his Do you think like that like more on the offensive side?
Speaker 7: It can? You know that can translate?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I just even like rich Rod was a highly talented offensive coach, offensive mastermind, but there really wasn't a guy you looked at and thought that's an NFL player, especially on the line. They had a kind of undersized line. Caleb Jones was probably the the receiver him in Austin Hill before Anstin Hill hurt his leg. But Caleb Jones wasn't a tetro Roman. Wasn't Caleb the guy from Texas? Yes, well Dan Buckner. Dan Buckner was here before, you know when Caleb was as well. Yea, yeah, I think he was a trouble in Texas. Yeah. And his brother was Zay Johnson that played at Eastern Carolina that got drafted in like the second and third round or something like that. But maybe a Nick Wilson before the injuries, maybe he would have been a draft pick. But there wasn't. Just there wasn't and there was very good college challenge. Yeah, there wasn't tremendous enough with the Kadeen obviously. Yeah, and Kadeen Okay, maybe a different coaching staff, maybe Kadeen got drafted. He was maybe, but maybe you're not running to the sound and he was punished a lot. He ran a lot. Forty fifty times a game, yeah, something like that. Yeah, well the Oregon game two hundred and fifty yards and I think ninety forty nine carries or something something carries. So I think a different system, maybe Kadeen would have happen maybe more success than that. Yeah, yeah, so we'll see, we'll see. Yeah, No, I agree with you. That's where you reason.
Speaker 4: Actually, I don't think it's gonna happen much in this program under and there are two different people, right once a salesman, the other ones not. Uh, and we know which ones which. But at some point that you know, Brendan might have to get out of his box and become a salesman.
Speaker 1: They're you know, in terms of the recruiting field right now, a lot of the talented players of four or five stars, they liked this coaching staff, but their question is can they win in terms of being recruited here? In terms of being recruited here because they've talked to those high level skirts and the kids like them. They like Alonzo Carter, like Brent Brennan. They love the family atmosphere. But at the end of the day, are you going to put me in the NFL? And are you going to win games? Well? And wouldn't. How much are you gonna pay me be up there? Well, that's that's another aspect well, which is the which is the worst detractor? Pay me? I think can you win? Yeah? And I'm not saying you're gonna get like a Teto McMillan. Yeah, that was kind of a perfect storm you're talking for that to happen again. Tetro is a very interesting to you, highly talented. Yeah, but he was a little different from your average five star recrew. He wasn't so arrogant, he wasn't so cocky. Well he also, yeah, that wasn't wasn't that the key that turned down. That was the one of the big ones. But Oregon also had a coaching switch where they hire their their current head coach right now, and he's a defensive minded coach, so he called all the defensive recruits making sure they were locked in, kind of put the offense to the side and second fiddle. So that was noticed. I'm not saying that it's the reason, but it was noticed where Jed stayed focused. Hey, you know, we still love you out here. We have your teammates and da da dad. Oh they're ignoring you a little bit, you know.
Speaker 3: Sure, think on that article that ESPN like that, like where they talked about like his volleyball like history and stuff like that. I think they talk about I forget his name right now. But the Miami coach. They didn't even tell him that he was gonna Yeah. Yeah, they don't tell him that he was going to be going to Miami.
Speaker 1: Well, Mario Chris Paul and then Dan Lanning came in a very defensive minded coach, and it's you know, it kind of falls apart for them in that end. But then they get Elijah Rushian who hasn't panned out yet but hasn't had a lot of playing time, so they got theirs on that end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's just a it's a crap shoot. You get lucky or whatever, and then if you're good, Yeah, I know. The best thing that happened to Arizona was t Mac and Noah.
Speaker 1: T Mac, Noah and Jonahs Salvnea. Jonah's one of those dudes, you know. Jordan Morgan was the first round draft pick. I get he went higher than Jonahs Salvaa. I think the most talent alignment I've seen at Arizona is Jonah Salvaea over Jordan Morgan. He's not a tackle, and that's why Jonah went in the first Jordan Morgan went in the first round because he's a tackle. But Jonah salvae is one of the hardest working guards in the country. He is a very good player.
Speaker 3: It's it's an exciting I mean, I'm always excited for football season.
Speaker 1: I didn't Yeah, I didn't realize that going to camp right away, like next for rookie camp, get together seven like a week two week period for some teams. Feel you feel yourself out kind of thing. You know, where you're at, blah blah blah, get you ready for Minnie camps and then you know, OTAs. Do you know how Manu's coming along? I have not seen anything from Washington. They keep kind of those practices closed off. I know he's loving it there. You know that coaching staff. Again, another gem that Jetfish was able to find. Nobody wanted to Manu was a high three star recruit, but not a lot of big time programs wanted him because of his size. But you watch him play. He plays with his hair on fire, so it's like, okay, just give him a shot. You know, he worked his way up from the practice squad to starting his freshman year, so you know, you just gotta have that opportunity to be given that chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like that that's like one of the big things that like, especially right now, that's kind of probably one of Brennan's like selling points is like, hey, we're brand new program, you know, But for.
Speaker 1: Him right now, it's playing time, Like after going four and eight, how can you not offer playing time?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every position with obviously quarterbacks not open to discus us, but most positions, I'm assuming they're open. You want to come in and compete, you can play. Do you think we April? You get four months? They come back in a little less than four months. This team is going to be ready to compete at least play better than last year. I think they'll play better. I think I like the offensive system and the scheme better. No no offense to oh my god, his name is sleeping my mind right now. The offense coordinator what was his name? It slipped my mind from lust year babers, no offense to babies, babors. But he just wasn't very creative. You couldn't tell me what kind of scheme it was. The scheme was get the ball to Tiptoro McMillan, and I don't know what you're going to do from that. You know from there, there doesn't that. It wasn't a lot of cohesion there and it didn't play to the player's strengths. Where Dagi, you know, he gets classified as the air raid coach. But to me, it looks a lot similar to what rich Rod ran where it's up tempo. Yes, you're running the wall pass him, but it's going to be very balanced. They're going to want to play fast, they're going to want to play up tempo and get the ball downfield.
Speaker 4: Better to watch, easier to watch, oh for sure. Yeah, which could help you know, selling tickets and all that.
Speaker 1: Selling tickets and when you're not sold on your offensive line in terms of being able to hold up at twelve games. Yeah, you mitigate a lot of that stuff by just giving the ball out quickly, right right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember, like during the games, that was one thing that Lamont would talk about like a lot that he he felt that there was like there was a lot of like long developing like kind of passing routes and like things like that. So he always wanted like he would always be like, man, I wish they would like pass it underneath it.
Speaker 1: A little bit more. Wait, you're sleeping with the other guys.
Speaker 7: No, man, you know, sleeping with twelve.
Speaker 1: Ninety you cheating on me, Actually, your kid actually sleep with me. You were with them first? Okay, never mind, I'm not involved in because he worked at twelve nine, he probably you can probably go back.
Speaker 7: He usually tells me like a couple of weeks before the Masters.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, before the ends or before it starts. Yeah, okay, so remember where you're at right now. No but I think that's fair because he saw stepping back, you know, eight nine, twelve feet at times looking for somebody to get open, and a lot of it was deep balls, and Noah's weakness is his deep ball, so you're not playing to his strength. They kind of quit on the running game throughout times throughout the season where they just weren't running the football, and then you had the delay handoffs. I don't know, that was bizarre. We thought it was like just miscommunication. They're like, no, that's what we want. What was the purpose? They couldn't really give us a good reason behind it, to be honest, you know, never had a really solid reason for that. Yeah. And he's a smart dude too. I mean, he highly successful his first time at Arizona, was highly successful at Baylor, Texa, Sam and Syracuse too, So I was expecting more and it was kind of underwhelming. But no, this this system is very different from the previous system. And defensively, I think they're going to be a little bit more flexible than last year. Not lining up in the same for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I hope the school year is a better year athletically, basketball tournament to be okay, football, not so much women's basketball to ye if it's better because it was and we talked to who we talked to you last week.
Speaker 1: I can't remember, maybe Rocky.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what it was where this was rivaling the nineties where it was really good for a long time. And you have certain sports that are becoming that that level. But you know, some of the ones have to step up to make it competitive like it was back in the good old days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know when Jed was here and yeah, I mean basketball was going towards down direction. I kind of just fell apart in some areas. Yeah, and well just one that one program. Yeah, and women's basketball they weren't that good back then, but they were they were getting some steam right until it wasn't. Softball was missing the UH tournament, UH baseball getting knocked out in the first round.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, yeah, so we'll see I mean, it's so far, so good, at least in spring.
Speaker 1: You gotta go.
Speaker 4: Thanks guy, Let's see you everyone tomorrow. I'll be in Tomorrow's my last day of the week, so thanks