Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, this point, it's the biggest news we've had in terms of this man hunt. They do have a guy in custody for questioning matches the description. He was apprehended in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Adam McDonald's people called him in, said he was suspicious and they are questioning him over evidence that links him to this murder. They said he was found with a same or similar gun to the one used in the slaughter there in midtown Manhattan silencer, as well as a fake ID.
Speaker 2: Police have apparently found a document railing against the healthcare industry on that.
Speaker 3: Guy, wow and all of the things.
Speaker 2: CNN is reporting that he has officially been arrested on the gun related charges.
Speaker 1: Certainly sounds like a bunch of things that were planted on a fall guy. To me.
Speaker 2: There are still dive teams in Central Park looking for evidence they were originally looking through. There's a couple of lakes there, one really big one looking for a potential murder weapon. And then today is also a private funeral for Brian Thompson, the guy who was killed. I guess in Altoona they're waiting for NYPD detectives to show up. I don't know if that means that at some point today we're going to hear from them. They're going they'll explain who this guy is or why they picked them up, and what the plan is going forward.
Speaker 3: But that is a significant development.
Speaker 1: The aftershocks from last week seven point zero earthquake up North still happening. About two dozen tumblers have hit in the past twenty four hours, ranging from two point six to four point three. All were about fifty or more miles out to sea.
Speaker 2: However, a bid buy the Onion to buy Alex Jones in full Wars platform is scheduled to return to a Texas courtroom today. A judge is deciding whether the bankruptcy auction was properly run. Jones has said that it was all about collusion and that there was fraud involved, But a bankruptcy judge is hearing testimony about this auction from last month how a trustee chose the Onion over the only other bidder, which was a company that's been affiliated with Alex Jones that offered actually twice as much money as did the Onion to buy that website.
Speaker 1: The National Weather Service has issued a rare particularly Dangerous Situation red flag warning those are their words, Particularly dangerous situation red flag warning for the coming days in La and Ventura counties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this along with the normal red flag warning. The particularly dangerous situation as they say, the PDS.
Speaker 3: Is that what they call it in the bizs. It's probably something like that, or yeah.
Speaker 2: Bob, we got a PDS par dan sit particularly dangerous situation par dans partan I like that expected to start about ten o'clock tonight and last through tomorrow afternoon. And the extreme fire weather could be similar in magnitude to the Santa event sorry, Santa Anna wind event that we saw on election Day. I called Santa Anne started the mountain fire or the man fur windy, dry vegetation, desiccating conditions.
Speaker 1: That's a desicating is a great word. Good job, wrong, goong Limb two.
Speaker 2: Southern California's second most destructive fire since twenty thirteen, of course, which was the Thomas Fire, the of course Woolsey fire in twenty eighteen. Also, okay, this is proof some of our most devastating fires have come in the month of December, as weird as that sounds, but it's before really the rainy season really kicks in, so we have an opportunity to or the nature has an opportunity to kind of refresh itself.
Speaker 3: So it's still very, very dry.
Speaker 2: Sinking wind blows at high speeds out to the beaches, generally in the northeast to southwest direction. They're talking about gusts as high as eighty miles an hour. One of the areas to watch is the Santa Clara River Valley, which goes from the Santa Clarita area all the way out to Ventura, So along the one twenty six there is one of the areas that they're keeping an eye on.
Speaker 4: Desicate is your word of the day?
Speaker 1: Kids? Desicate? We should do words of the day. You just did, yes, Desicate to remove the moisture from something, to cause it to become completely dry.
Speaker 4: Desicate.
Speaker 1: A man being questioned today and the killing of that United Healthcare CEO, as you mentioned, did have writings that appeared to be critical of the health insurance industry.
Speaker 3: This is either way too.
Speaker 1: Convenient because he also had a gun thought to be similar to the one using the killing, he had a fake ID. The way the hostel reported the guy checked in with a fake ID and writings now that appear to be critical of the of the industry. You're say it's too convenient.
Speaker 2: If you were going to set up a patsy, those are exactly the things that you would give the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he wanted to be found.
Speaker 3: He was dying to be found.
Speaker 1: He was dying to be found with all the evidence that they could just button this thing right up in a pretty little package.
Speaker 3: With a bow on it.
Speaker 2: Listen, we had said multiple times that had to be the obvious reason the guy was targeted was something to do with the insurance industry, whether it was somebody whose coverage was denied or somebody whose Families Members coverage was denied, and this guy was getting revenge. But the NYPD kept saying, we don't know what the motive is. Maybe we don't, and he was getting upset. I mean, if your point is right that he wants to have been caught, he was getting upset. He wants his day in court because he wants to be able to have the platform to rail against the insurance industry.
Speaker 1: Then why didn't he give himself up. Why did he go on the lamb for six days? Why didn't he just shoot that guy and then sit down with this sign that says you're killing many more people than this or something, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, Like, why not I only killed one?
Speaker 1: But just why not make a big deal if you want to be found out, be found out. Why put yourself through going on the run for six days? It's all very odd.
Speaker 3: Speaking of odd.
Speaker 2: Odd, holy cow, Hanikobayashi, this woman from Maui was headed to New York. She got off the plane at LAX and didn't go anywhere else. The LAPD says that this woman has voluntarily disappeared herself. She's a voluntary missing person, although her family has loudly proclaimed that she may be in danger or may be in the midst of being taken advantage of by some dark powers out there trying to take her money or do something with her or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently she met someone at LAX. This was before, as the LAPD reported, she walked into Mexico on her own volition and vanished. She spent the night in la with a she happened to meet near the airport. Apparently the two formed a quick bond after crossing paths and then spent about nine hours together. They walked through downtown LA. They meandered their way to Union Station. They fell asleep there. Again, we don't know if they fell asleep for a night, because somebody had called in and said they closed down Union Station for the night. You need a ticket to even be a even be there from like a ticket from like one am to four am or something like that. But they could have fallen asleep in the middle of the day. It doesn't tell you what time, right, this guy is a oh no, she is a thirty Now they say she's a photographer and a smoke shop employee.
Speaker 3: I've not heard that. I had not heard that either.
Speaker 4: Do we know more about what the guy does or well.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: They did interview this guy, and they said that they knew about him pretty early on. Obviously, some of the images you could see that they were walking, they were together, smiling, smiling. One of the detectives in the Missing Persons unit said that there were days and days where there's as many reasons that something could have gone totally wrong as there were that everything was okay.
Speaker 3: So that's where we live in that middle.
Speaker 2: That's where we've had to keep moving on facts, just move on to what the next fact will lead us to. And they said that they when they learn more. They figured out the relationship between this guy and Hanna Kobayashi.
Speaker 1: So he and Kobyashi met at LAX's train stop and struck up a conversation about nine pm, they say, local time, November eleventh. She was leaving the airport. He was going to help her get to Union Station. She was trying to figure out how to get to Union Station, and he was going to help her get there. The detective says, for the amount of time they spent together, he pretty much was an ear to listen. She just spoke and talked about her life in Maui, her personal life, her love life, and so forth, and he just listened to her.
Speaker 3: Isn't that lovely a man that listens?
Speaker 2: What say it again? They've all they have talked to this guy twice. I mean, obviously you're going to want to check out the story and make sure that there is nothing untoward. And they say pretty clearly that this was just a happenstance encounter.
Speaker 1: He said that she was a free spirit, that she seemed coherent and normal. She did not seem scared. She wanted to go see the Redwoods, mentioned plans to be in New York. They spent several more hours at Union Station. They ate dinner there, they went to sleep in a waiting area.
Speaker 2: And then she got up, she got her stuff, and she walked out on her own.
Speaker 3: Missed connections.
Speaker 2: She bought a bus ticket about six in the morning November twelfth, got on the bus after that, arrived at the border about four hours after that, walked into Tijuana at about noon.
Speaker 4: Look at her live in her life.
Speaker 3: What a strong, independent, single woman.
Speaker 2: Because this guy's not accused of anything. They're not telling us who he is. I mean, he's not a suspect or anything like that, so they have no reason to reveal his identity. But at this point, of course we've said this multiple times, the family believes that she may be in danger. She may be trying to get away from an over protective, overbearing family.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The side note of tragedy that was her own father having committed suicide in the midst of all of this makes it that much weirder and sad for the family. But in all honesty, it doesn't look like she's. But I don't know the rom com version of this, where I just meet somebody and then spend all day with them.
Speaker 1: There's spent many, many, many rom coms that follow that exact plot line.
Speaker 3: Well, we've done these stories before.
Speaker 2: We've talked about people meeting on airplanes or something like that and then living happily ever after or whatever. And when I, when I broke off an engagement, flew back from Chicago, I sat next to a woman who'd had done the exact same thing with her in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: And you still think of her to this day. I still know I do not. I do not.
Speaker 4: She wasn't your type.
Speaker 3: Though, from what I was not my type at all.
Speaker 2: But she didn't give me a ride back to to Chico from the Sacramento airport.
Speaker 3: That is a long drive. She was hoping to get a little.
Speaker 2: Action, No, because her sister was the one that drove us actually, so I think she wanted to get in there.
Speaker 3: All this it was years ago, it was probably weren't overalls.
Speaker 2: Oh so I think that was that answers, That doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Matt took us to a dive bar in Kansas City called the Peanut, where everything was dirty, and they had wings.
Speaker 4: The size of your forehead.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: I was, as I thought, you like this place, you like a dive bar, And I said.
Speaker 4: But not to eat.
Speaker 1: You look a little hepatitis today. I know, I know, I can see I didn't get into that stuff. I had a couple of fries, right, but I wasn't going to get into those wings. I don't know the pain of custody on those wings, because it's.
Speaker 4: It's a dive bar. I mean it's a real dive bar.
Speaker 1: And the tables are dirty, and the menus are just like a piece of paper that's been around and it's stained and it's it's dirty. And all that was on the menu were like wings and fries, like meat nachos. And the waitress was going through something. I don't know what was happening there. She was very efficient. Did she have a side ponytail.
Speaker 3: Kind of yeah, that kind of whole thing.
Speaker 1: And they said that it took about thirty five minutes for the wings to get to the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what animal those wings came from. I also don't know the chain of custody on the wings. Did they not make them there? Did they go get them and then bring them. Was it someone's house? Was it a trailer out back where the wings were prepared and fried and then brought in. And that's why it takes so long. I've never waited so long for wings ever. It was like forty minutes.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. What's the deal with that? I don't know. So I've been thinking about them that I didn't have there. Mine was much more satisfying. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: We are following developments in the murder of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson in New York City. This morning, just before the show started, we found out that a guy in Pennsylvania had been subject to questioning because apparently people in a McDonald's in Altoona thought that he looked like the pictures that the NYPD has been putting out of the suspect here. He apparently also had a similar gun as the one used in the assassination style killing. He may have had also writings on him that railed against the insurance industry. That would make sense. So cnnis officially said that he'd been arrested on gun related charges, and Fox News is reporting that the NYPD is officially calling him a suspect in this case. The private funeral, by the way for Brian Thompson is going to be held today. The Mayor of New York City, Eric Adams, is holding a news conference unrelated to this, but we do it expect him to make some comments on these developments in a few minutes when he takes to the podium.
Speaker 1: Keana was able to track down an article from nineteen eighty three in the Daily Pilot about a man in Newport Beach who was murdered. Robbery appears to have been ruled out as the motive in the brutal beating death of a thirty five year old Newport beachman found Wednesday face down in a hallway of his Newport Shores home.
Speaker 2: Ronald Gaski clubbed in the head and face, they said, with an unknown object. They described him as a very security conscience, sorry, security conscious person who had an elaborate alarm system. And it's weird to me because I don't I didn't think people had a home security systems in nineteen eighty three. I am just obviously not old enough to remember that. Thankfully, not that several neighbors. It would have been unlike him to leave his residence unlocked, so they don't know why, why, or what it was that happened that night. In nineteen eighty three, it.
Speaker 1: Was a former girlfriend that went to his home to check on him after he didn't show up for his construction job, found him dead there.
Speaker 4: According to this initial report from nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty three, now exactly forty one years later, they believe that they have a suspect. They have arrested a man in Huntington Beach, Michael Manette, seventy years old, arrested on Friday. They're not telling us how they connected him or what led to that, what their relationship was.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 1: You got to believe it's some sort of genetic DNA, right, Can.
Speaker 3: We take that? Jacob? You have any chance? I got that CNN up right there.
Speaker 2: The mayor of New York City has been talking about the person of interest that's been picked up in picked up in Altoona, Pa.
Speaker 3: Let's see if I can find it. I've got a couple of defectives. Here you go, we'll go over there.
Speaker 5: We are right now in the investigation. He matches the description of the identification we've been looking for. He's also in possession of several items that we believe will connect him to this incident.
Speaker 3: How did we do it?
Speaker 5: A good old fashioned police work. The Chief of Detectives and the Police Commissioner made the decision to release as much of a photo that we had at the time, We sent it across the country and someone, a McDonald's employee, did something we asked every American to do. If you see something, say something, but most importantly, do something, and they did and because of that, we believe we have a strong person of interest to deal with this case.
Speaker 3: I want to now turn it over to the Police.
Speaker 5: Commission of the City of New York, Commissioner Tish.
Speaker 6: Easy on that podium, Thank you, mayor good afternoon everyone. Earlier this morning in Altoona, Pennsylvania, members of the Altoona Police Department arrested Luigi Mangioni, a twenty six year old mail on firearms charges. At this time, he is believed to be our person of interest in the brazen targeted murder of Brian Thompson, CEO of United Healthcare last Wednesday in midtown Manhattan. The suspect was in a McDonald's and was recognized by an employee, who then called local police. Responding officers questioned the suspect, who was acting suspiciously and was carrying multiple fraudulent IDs as well as a US passport. Upon further investigation, officers recovered a firearm on his person as well as a suppressor, both consistent with the weapon used in the murder. They also recovered clothing, including a mask, consistent with those worn by our wanted individual. Also recovered was a fraudulent New Jersey ID, matching the ID our suspect used to check into his New York City hostel before the shooting incident. Additionally, officers recovered a handwritten document that speaks to both his motivation and mindset. NYPD detectives are en route to Pennsylvania as we speak to as we seek to interview this subject further. This apprehension is thanks to the tireless work of the greatest detectives in the world, and of course, the strong relationships we have with our local law enforcement partners. On every level, local, state, and federal. We all serve the same public safety mission, and this case, which captured the attention of an entire nation, is another example of how connected we are and how important it is to work together, share information, and pursue every lead For just over five days. Our NYPD investigators comb through thousands of hours of video, followed up on hundreds of tips, and processed every bit of forensic evidence DNA fingerprints, IP addresses, and so much more. To tighten the net, we deployed drones, canine units, and scuba divers. We leveraged the domain awareness system, our GIST cameras, and conducted aviation canvases. And our detectives also went door to door, interviewing potential witnesses and doing the good, old fashioned police work that our investigators are famous for. This combination of old school detective work and new age technology is what led to this result today, and we must also acknowledge the instrumental role the media and the public played in this case. The images that we shared with the public were spread far and wide, and the tips we received led to the recovery of crucial evidence. We should never underestimate the power of the public to be our eyes and our ears in these investigations.
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 6: Third time in three weeks that a member of the public has seen something, and said something and done something that led to a high profile arrest. The triple stabbing homicide in Manhattan, the gunpoint robberies in Queen's during which an NYPD officer was shot, and now this. Now the case will continue through the criminal justice process, and while we are proud of today's accomplishment, we must, of course remember that a family is in mourning. I want to again extend my sympathies to Brian's family, co workers, and all who knew him. Finally, I want to thank the women and men of the NYPD, especially our detective bureau personnel, with a strong assist from our intelligence analysts. We also thank the SAC of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division, Leslie Rodriguez Bekshi's and I want to commend the staff of the Manhattan DA's office and especially DA Alvin Bragg. He has been working with us twenty four to seven on this case, and I am incredibly grateful for his partnership.
Speaker 3: All Right, that's Jessica Tish again.
Speaker 2: The New York City Police Commissioner said that the suspect that they have taken into custody in Pennsylvania is a twenty six year old Luigi Mangione.
Speaker 1: I have activated my female digging what I do for all my single girlfriends. This guy seems to have been a genius. Valedictorian at his high school. Gave a speech at his graduation also about maintaining tradition, pioneering innovations. He was going to study engineering. He is somebody who has quoted Jonathan Height on digital security.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems like, by all accounts, this was a very intelligent person. And you kind of wonder, knowing the age, was there some sort of mental wiring that went bad that we see with young men about the age of twenty five.
Speaker 2: Sometimes some of the pictures that have come up purportedly of Luigi MANGIONI make perfect sense. I mean, the eyebrows are one thing that kind of stood out in some of those suspect pictures. And now you can see, yeah, now you can see a bunch of those. Oh he works out too. Is that what you're showing me?
Speaker 1: I cannot get over the amount of comments on this guy being too hot to convict.
Speaker 3: He's not too hot to convince. Now, that'd have to be a little hot.
Speaker 1: But here he is with a McDonald's happy mail in one picture. Yeah, maybe that craving for McDonald's mess. It sounds like he wanted to He's a smart person he wanted.
Speaker 2: To get well, that goes to my theory of he thought he was the smartest person in the room the whole time. Yeah, right, So even if he did have the paperwork on him and the gun and all that sort of stuff, and you thought he would still get away with it, and.
Speaker 1: The narcissist theory of he wanted to be the guy so that he did all of their evidence gathering for him, keeping it on his person and basically giving himself up in that McDonald's because I think you're right. I think he was getting pissed off that the conspiracy theories were abounding that this wasn't just one person and it wasn't somebody disgrunt told or what have you. He wanted to prove that it could be done by just one person. Clearly, this is somebody who is who has gone through a psychotic break. An IVY League student.
Speaker 2: I was one of the chief of the NYPD, or an assistant chief i should say of the NYPD has been answering questions from reporters, and there were a lot of questions regarding the gun that this guy was supposedly holding when police picked him up, and the chief kept referring to it as a ghost gun when they didn't have a serial number on it, and he said it's possible that the gun that they found him with was a three D printed gun capable of firing a nine millimeter round, but could not say if it was the same gun that was allegedly used in the murder last week or if this was something he just had.
Speaker 1: Well, remember when I was looking at the video and I asked you, like, is this one of the because I don't know anything really about guns full disclosure, is this one of those guns that were you could put it together yourself.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I had that thought, But.
Speaker 1: Now knowing his background that he was an engineering student and all of those things that certainly holds water, wasn't this particular gun tied back to Connecticut as well?
Speaker 4: And he's from Maryland? Is there something Well?
Speaker 2: I don't know how they connected it to Connecticut, connect connecticure, but they said that it's a very the gun that they were looking for, this sort of a modernized version of a World War II weapon for special operations forces and things like that. It would have been very rare and it would have been very expensive. Five or six thousand dollars to buy this thing, but it's used currently. The current version of it, they said, is often used by veterinarians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so again.
Speaker 1: Valedictorian of his twenty sixteen graduating class at the Gilman School in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: It's known for its high tuition.
Speaker 1: He played soccer during high school and talked about how he wanted to study AI with a focus on computer science and cognitive science at Penn. There is an interest when you look at his online presence in anti capitalist sentiments, quotes from various people, some from Ted Kaczinski, the unibomber. He engaged in content critical of the healthcare industry, aligning with the manifesto they say they found on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the manifesto itself was part of some of the questioning as well, and as far as the assistant chief was saying, they don't believe that it exists anywhere online that as of right now, they only have the handwritten manifesto, manifesto finger quotes that they found on his person.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, if this is you know, to draw sort of the character conclusions that you can about a guy who graduates valedictorian like you said, studying engineering and computer science or some combination thereof. He's pretty smart, potentially brilliant guy.
Speaker 4: Potentially a preponderance for crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get into that.
Speaker 2: And again no, at this point, obviously they're going to try to figure out if he had any family members that were covered by United Healthcare or to see if that may have led to the you know, given him a motive to go after Brian Thompson. But or maybe he was just doing it to be altruistic. There is no connection. He just thought he would strike out at somebody who represented the insurance company.
Speaker 1: Well, now we know that this is someone smart enough to do this planet meticulously.
Speaker 2: But still make mistakes along the way, it seemed or or was doing these evidence plants. Yeah, because he knew that they would be looking. I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, he's definitely started the conversation about healthcare. That's all you get now. It's all about online, it's all about oh, these are all these lefty Ivy League schools that create killers. It's not guns, it's education, people.
Speaker 2: People, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am. To one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.