Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 1: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 4: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 6: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 7: Landed and his name is Amy Kame.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, December thirtieth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. As we get ready to close out the year, I've had some people talking to me about you know what was great about twenty twenty four and blah blah blah. And one of the coolest things that happened in twenty twenty four was what you were just listening to. Was our opportunity to talk to Colonel Haig on board the International Space Station. Like you get to do a lot of cool things in radio. That was probably one of the coolest busy travel goes through New Years. But of course, if you're like me, you're back after Christmas so welcome back. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Good morning to Kono, who's been at the helm the whole time. You didn't take any time off, did you.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Christmas Day? Oh you too. Oh well, let's try not to you know, overdo it there, buddy, and producer Michelle is in for producer and good morning Michelle. Good morning, and Seth Blackman's got traffic for you. So we got you all had as we get our days started and get back to work. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The longest living former president has died. Jimmy Carter died yesterday at his home in Plains, Georgia. The former peanut farmer and Georgia governor was the thirty ninth President of the United States. He served from nineteen seventy seven to eighty one. His wife, Rosalind, died in November twenty twenty three. Jimmy Carter was one hundred. We're going to be talking more about the life and legacy of Jimmy Carter with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. The FAA is investigating a close call on a runway at lax A Charter flight carrying the Gonzaga University men's basketball team apparently failed to follow instructions from the tower on Friday, plane stopped just short of taxing in front of a Delta Airlines flight that was taking off. A wood burning ban is in effect again today because of high pollution levels in the forecast. The ban is for non desert areas of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties and all of Orange County. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. As the nation mourns the passing of former President Jimmy Carter, two local area mayors are paying tribute to his enduring legacy.
Speaker 6: LA City Mayor Karen Bass honored Carter's commitment to service and human rights. She says President Carter established the idea of human rights as a core tenet of American foreign policy and created a path towards a clean energy future, while Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson praised Carter as a leader who continued to help others far beyond his time in office. The reflection from both Bass and Richardson highlight Carter's lasting influence as a global leader and Amanitarian Andrew Caravella KFI news.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom echoed those sentiments. Colin Carter a man of rare character. The National Weather Services a fire weather watch will be in effect tomorrow for most of southern California. Forecasters say critical fire weather conditions are likely across the Santa Ana wind prone areas of La and Ventura Counties, as well as the Inland Empire. Meteorologist Sam Zuber tells KFI a lack of rain is one reason for the advisory.
Speaker 8: What's going to be happening is the next system that's coming in is just going to kind of pick up gusts, especially over there in the mountains, and with that we're also going to be seen some really low humidity.
Speaker 1: She says. The fireweather watch will be in effect through Thursday night. A man who shot at police and barricaded himself inside a motel room in Woodland Hills has been found dead. The shooting happened just after ten last night at the Vantage Point in on Ventura Boulevard. Police SWAT officers found the men dead when they went inside. Investigators to trying to figure out if the man was killed by police or if he shot himself. A new study shows California has the sixth highest vehicle theft rate in the United States. The study by the Cimmarn Law Group of Burbank analyzed crime data from the FBI and National Incident Based Reporting System and found that California has a theft rate of three hundred and ninety three point nine per one hundred thousand people. Maine has the lowest car theft rate, at sixty five point two per one hundred thousand people. Show Hey, Otani and his wife are expecting. They shared the news on social media. A photo on Instagram shows a pink Onesie baby shoes and an ultrasound image. Otani's dog is also in there. The caption reads, can't wait for the little rookie to join our family soon. Ooh, exciting news for the Otani family. Now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, the thirty ninth President of the United States, has died.
Speaker 5: Yes, surprising, maybe not at all, not at all.
Speaker 1: We were I mean, he's been in hospice for almost two years.
Speaker 5: Two years. Yeah, I went out there and covered that. When he left Atlanta, went out to planes Georgia essentially to die, but lived for another two years. Did have a lot of health issues, including cancer which successfully was treated five or six years ago. So yeah, a long long life, one hundred years. No other president has ever made it to triple digits. No other first couple has ever made it to seventy seven years of marriage.
Speaker 1: Isn't that amazing? And they when did they get married? Were they really young when they got married?
Speaker 5: They were, Yes, they were young, and just after World War Two. He was a nuclear engineer during World War Two in the Navy, had been to the Naval Academy, first president to do that, to graduate from the Naval Academy. Then they began this seventy seven year marriage. They'd known each other their whole lives there in Planes Georgia.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. It's sort of like the George Bush and Barbara Bush. You know that they just were together forever and it was just a beautiful love story. You said that he'd been in hospice, he'd been in Plaines. Was he in the hospital or was he at home?
Speaker 5: No, he was at home. He was at home, Yes, and he had to you know, given it. Maybe he had stopped taking you know, he's still eating, still drinking and taking basic medicines, but was not doing any sort of therapy that was intended to prolong his life. He had kind of accepted this and quite peacefully and gratefully accepted this very long life that he had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned that he had been treated for cancer, and I was just reading about that, that he had brain cancer. But then after a few months he stopped getting treatment because he got some new sort of cancer therapy. Do we know what that was? I don't remember hearing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that was another one kind of surprising that he had this cancer diagnosis, but some sort of alternative therapy that appeared to work for him. And I think doctors are hesitant to say that it was the treatment that did it or was it simply that he overcame this cancer? Hard to say, but yeah, an interesting twist there, and I think people then eight nine years ago assumed that he was on his way out. Essentially, they sent me out there to cover that when the Quarter Center was going to give an update on his health, and here came Jimmy Carter to sit down and give the news conference about his own health. So really a resilient person physically and emotionally, So.
Speaker 1: Jim, I think that, at least my memory of it is President Carter was not regarded as a particularly good president, but he has a wonderful legacy that you know, after he got out of office, he really had some really big accomplishments he did.
Speaker 5: I think people forget though about you know, the Camp David Peace Accords that he broke at this piece between Egypt and Israel.
Speaker 1: Is that while he was in office? Yeah, okay, so I'm going to retract the last thing I said. But I think as an overall thing, like you look back and you don't at least again, I don't know if it's my generation or whatever, but I don't look at that as being a successful presidency. But you're right, that was a huge, huge accomplishment.
Speaker 5: Well it was. He established the Department of Education. That was one of his big pushes. He came up with a the National Energy Policy. I think he was kind of forced into that because of the energy crisis that was going on during his presidency. So yeah, I mean the peace between Israel and Egypt last forever. No, it didn't, but it certainly was a moment in time and in that picture of Nwar Sadats and Monacham began. I still remember that vividly, with Carter standing there between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then after he got out of office, what are some of the things that he did? I know that the Habitat for Humanity is one of the things he'll be remembered for sure.
Speaker 5: When he left office, his biographer says that Jimmy Carter was depressed, deeply depressed. Didn't know what he was going to do with his life. He left behind a White House, and he knew what his legacy within the White House was going to be. The hostage the Iranian hostage crisis ended just as his presidency was ending. Minutes later, the crisis ended, the hostages were released. So I think he saw this kind of this dark spot over his presidency, so he said, what am I going to do with the rest of my life? So he and his wife roseland dedicated themselves to causes. It became huge, not just giving money and lending their names to something like the like Habitat for Humanity, but going out and actually building houses physically. I covered him at several of these builds when he and his wife would come, and there was this earnestness about him. And he wasn't just there to symbolically, you know, turn dirt. He was there to pound nails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then what are some other things that he did.
Speaker 5: He and his wife also championed human rights around the world. They traveled the world, visiting places of soth Africa and places in Eastern Europe to try to promote democracy and human rights. And certainly that was a big part of his legacy. And of course the Carter Center, which went on to establish this human Rights Center in nineteen eighty two, it sent observers to elections around the world. One hundred four fourteen elections in thirty nine countries have been watched by the Carter Center as an effort to further democracy.
Speaker 1: Nice. Well, you know, one hundred years. I think that's a life well lived.
Speaker 5: Sure you also know that he won three Grammy Awards.
Speaker 1: Why did he win Grammy.
Speaker 5: Awards Best Spoken Word Albums twenty seven, twenty sixteen, twenty nineteen. His books, his books on tape or his audio books won Grammy Awards.
Speaker 1: Nice Okay, I might have to think about it all right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Seamy tak too. Soon Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A wrong way driver has caused a crash on the two ten that killed one person and injured another. Police say a driver was headed eastbound in the westbound lanes at North Allen Avenue around three am yesterday when the crash happened. A decomposing body has been found at the bottom of a cliff in Rancho Palace Verties. The Eli Kenny Sheriff's Department says investigators believe the death might have been the result of a fall from Dina's viewpoint. They say the body's not related to recent discoveries of human remains along the shoreline where two boaters disappeared last week. Beach goers in North Carolina have seen a juvenile female humpback whale up close and personal. It washed a shore Friday. Crowds have been gathering to see it. This onlooker says he couldn't believe his eyes when he saw how big the whale is.
Speaker 6: I've never seen a whale before, but this is like the first time, and I was like, holy.
Speaker 7: Smoke, that is huge.
Speaker 1: A neck crop they was before, or was due to be performed on the whale's carcass to determine what caused its death. At least sixty six people have been killed when a truck plunged into a river in southern Ethiopia. We're just getting word in of that tragic accident. New analysis shows artificial intelligence data centers are using massive amounts of power and could be distorting the normal flow of electricity across the US. The analysis by Bloomberg of seven hundred and seventy thousand home sensors shows more than three quarters of distorted power readings are within fifty miles of AI data centers. That's called bad harmonics and means household appliances that use electricity could be affected at some point. There not Fresh, the actress known for a role in the TV sitcom Alice in the nineteen seventies, has died. A representative says Linda Lavin died in La yesterday of complications from recently discovered lung cancer. Lavin worked on broad Broadway before moving over to TV. Alice ran from nineteen seventy six to eighty five, and Lavin sang the theme song There's a New Girl in Town. She was working as recently as this month promoting a new Netflix series Linda Lavin was eighty seven. President Elect Trump says the challenges faced by President Jimmy Carter came at a pivotal time for our country. Trump said on a truth Social that only those who served as president can relate to the enormous responsibility of leading the greatest nation in history. Jimmy Carter died yesterday at the age of one hundred. A seventeen year old girl has been killed in a shooting at a house party in Signal Hill. Three other girls and seven boys were also shot at the party on Burnett Street on Saturday night. There's a black moon tonight. That's when there are two new moons in a single month. It's a rare occurrence, happening about once every two and a half years. It is the kind of the opposite of a blue moon, which is when there are two full moons in a month. So nice, dark skies, hopefully lots of stars. Tonight at six oh five, it's Handle on the news. Elon Musk drops the F bomb over his spat with some immigration hardliners. We'll be talking about that. Of course, it won't be handled. It's going to be Wayne Resnick in for Handle this week. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Sam Sweeney. Sam, horrible plane crash in South Korea. One hundred and seventy nine people were killed. Can you give us the latest on what happened.
Speaker 3: Instigators are now on the ground in South Korea trying to figure out what happened. We typically can deduct and come up with some scenarios of what may have happened in these situations with so much data, so much video, But this one is a strange one. Why did this plane go around the airport? Possibly because of a potential bird strike? They did a may day call, But why did it come back around so quickly and land without its landing gear down, without its spoilers or flats engaged to slow the aircraft. It came down at a high rate of speed, didn't use much of the two mile runway, and then touch down at the end, had a few hundred feet before it crashed into that wall. Why did that happen? If you have a bird strike that takes out one engine, you still have a second engine to power the aircraft and keep it flying. Give them time to run checklists and of course lower the landing gear. They're on very different systems and then there's backup systems redundancies within these planes. Why did that landing gear not them down? And why did that plane not stop? That's what investigators need to figure out with the black box data that they recovered over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just going to ask you if they got that. So you meant I had heard about the no landing gear, but also that they didn't have the flaps like they It didn't appear that they were even trying to slow the plane down.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's what you know, all of these experts can figure out when you look at it. Typically, when the plane lands, when the wheels touch the ground or just above, you know, ten feet off the ground or so, there's the automatic reverse thrusters engage, almost like a vacuum that pushers air the opposite way to slow the plane, the plane down. We don't know or believe that those activated as well. Again, flaps weren't down, spoilers not engaged, landing gear not down. So many failures. Was this flight crew simply overwhelmed and rushing to get the plane on the ground that they forgot to drop the wheels. That's a possibility, and that's what we'll be able to figure out with the black boxes. They had the voice recorders, which record everything that was said, every noise in the cockpit in those final moments, and then the datta recorders, which will record all of the maneuvers the plane made, any input from the pilots, any button that was pushed. We will learn all of that and figure out what happened here, okay.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime until they release that information, do we know anything about the pilots. Do we know if they were veteran pilots or maybe brand new or anything.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about the pilots, but we do know that the two people who survived were flight attendants. They were seated in the rear of the aircraft.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you that, okay.
Speaker 3: And they were in the jump seats, which means they were harnessed in and likely their backs were up against the wall, and they were facing the rear of the aircraft, so the opposite direction of all the passengers. And if you look at the wreckage video, the only thing that's left is the tail.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, the two flight attendants. Because I was I was again, I was going to ask you, Sam who survived and where were they sitting on the plane.
Speaker 3: So it's just it's worth noting that the black boxes are also located in the tail of the aircraft. That's typically the strongest point of the plane, and of course furthest from that concrete wall. There's gonna be a lot of questions. The reason they do these thorough investigations is to prevent these incidents from happening again. It's not just to quench the first of the public to understand why they want to prevent them from happening again. A lot of experts are saying, why is there a concrete wall at the end of this runway. Perhaps they will say that was one of the causes. This could have been less deadly if that wall weren't there. Will they make those changes. They're going to look at all of that and.
Speaker 1: Get at the Bourbank Airport. I think that there's a sound wall or something like that, so we don't know that that might be why that wall was there.
Speaker 3: So this wall, actually it was a concrete wall with a dirt mound over top of it, and it held the instrumentation the localizers what it's called, and that helps glide the planes in. But in Burdbank. That wall there at the end that a plane would go right through that, it wouldn't crumple like a concrete wall, that sound barrier. It's a small airport, so a little bit you know, different scenario there.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, So thank you for that clarification.
Speaker 6: Sam.
Speaker 1: This is, you know, just out of the blue. But are there any signs of any kind of foul play or anything like that aside from a bird strike, which that's a bad joke.
Speaker 3: Nothing points the foul play. I mean, this was a routine flight. It was in the air for over four hours coming from Bangkok, full flight, one final approach. They were given that warning that you know, it's right near the water. So there's a lot of bird activity in the area. Not uncommon, but there are thousands of bird strikes every year or just in the United States. It is a very common thing. Now, what is not common in the situation like you know miracle on the Hudson where you have dual engine failure, birds went in both engines. That is so rare. In fact, they can only think of that one case. So did that happen? Here was their dual engine failure? It doesn't appear, so we have no reason to believe that because the plane has so much power when it landed. But look, we don't know, and it's tough to speculate in this situation. And the only thing that's going to give us those answers are those cockpit voice recorder and the cockpit data recorder.
Speaker 1: Okay, And since those have both been recovered, Sam, do we have any kind of idea does it take a few weeks, because obviously if A and TSP, those guys all the airline regulatory agencies have to look over everything. But do we have any kind of clue about how long it usually takes to get the information.
Speaker 3: One of the one of the black boxes was damaged. They believe they can still get the data off of it, but that could take a little bit more time, but typically they can do this in a couple of days. And if the Koreans who are leading the investigation, if they can't pull the data, then it will be sent through the NTSB lab in Washington, where they likely will be able to pull the data, and again they can do that within a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then just one last question, the flight attendants who survived, how are they doing? Are they are they okay.
Speaker 3: One is in intensive care, and there are reports in local media that one did wake up this morning, the male. There's a male and female, and the male did wake up and he has no recollection of the crash, and he reportedly asked the doctors why he was in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Well, that's amazing that anybody survived that. ABC. Sam Sweeney, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, all right.
Speaker 1: As twenty twenty four is about to become twenty twenty five, police departments around the US are warning gun owners not to fire weapons into the air to celebrate the new year. One city where that's the case is Milwaukee, where Assistant Chief Nicole Waldner is posted on social media that firing those weapons is illegal. When MPD responds, it is unknown to us if shots are being fired into the air or if an active shooter incident is taking place. The LAPD and La Kenny Sheriff's Department both have policies on not firing guns into the air on New Year's Eve. They say it will not be tolerated. I know last year at New Year's I think I worked on New Year's Day and so of course I went to bed at like eight o'clock, but there was a lot of gunfire in La. It was a little bit shocking. I mean it's nothing like Fourth of July, but it was a lot. A fifteen year old boy has been critically wounded in a gunfight with police in South LA. The LAPD says gang enforcement officers saw someone spring graffiti on a wall last Thursday night. Another person apparently fired an officers, who then returned fire. Three people were able to take off. They led police on a chase that ended in Compton, about five miles away. A twenty year old and two fifteen year olds were arrested, and again one of those fifteen year olds critically wounded. A seventeen year old girl's been fatally shot at a party in Signal Hill. Six other teens were hurt on Saturday night, many of those that the party took off when the shooting started. Billy say those hurt are between seventeen and nineteen years old. It's not clear what led up to the shooting. Singer Marvin Gaye's adopted son is being sued by a woman who claims she was hurt while trying to calm a dispute between Gay and his wife at their home in twenty twenty three. The lawsuit, filed in Cordon van Eyes by a woman identified only as Jane Doe, alleges that when she arrived at Gay's house, things got violent. The suit says Gay allegedly pointed a gun at her and his now former wife, Wendy. Final floral touches are being put on floats for the one hundred and thirty six Tournament of Roses Parade.
Speaker 9: Each float has about sixty volunteers who are up to their elbows in glue and flowers, seats and other floral components to make a float amazing. It's messy and it's cold. To keep flowers lively, the warehouses are kept between thirty two and thirty seven degrees. In the end, each float will be covered with about forty five thousand flowers and lots of other organic materials. After the parade, you can see the floats at Floatfest until January third, then they're turned into potpourri and mulch.
Speaker 1: I'm pre tennis and of course the parade rolls through the streets of Pasadena on New Year's Day. Hey, Cottonwood, California never heard of it. You're probably gonna hear of it now if you haven't already over the weekend. It's a little town in northern California of just six thousand people, and one of those six thousand people is one point two billion dollars richer. That's where a winning Mega Million's ticket was sold for Friday nights drawing.
Speaker 2: Durn it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't me, I had my ticket. There was no Powerball winner over the weekend, So that next drawing is tonight and it is worth one hundred and sixty three million dollars. Can you imagine how popular that person's gonna be in Cottonwood? I wonder if they no, because you know how like in small towns, everybody knows everything and knows everybody. Wonder if the person who won is gonna suddenly disappear or come forward quickly. A man's been arrested for allegedly stealing thousands of dollars worth of apple products from apple stores around southern California. Irvine police a Malcolm Walker, who's from Illinois, grabbed about twelve hundred dollars worth of apple products on Friday night at the Apple store at the Spectrum Center. A search of his vehicle found about five thousand dollars worth of other apple products that had been stolen from stores in the Southland. A body's been found on a beach in Rancho Palace, Verdes. A hiker spotted the body at the bottom of a steep cliff on Saturday afternoon near Pelican Cove. POLICEAI It appears the person had been dead for a few months. Linda Lavin has died. The Tony Award winning actress was best known for her role on TV's Alice in the seventies and eighties. She died unexpectedly from complications of recently discovered lung cancer. She was still working filming a new Netflix series called Not Good No Good Deed, and also mid Century Modern that's being worked on on Hulu. Linda Lavin was eighty seven at six oh five. It's handled on the news, but it's not handled today. It's Wayne Resnick. President Biden says he regrets dropping out of the race and thinks he could have beat President elect Trump. Speaking of President elect Trump, is a department of government and efficiency go in toe to toe with some Republican hardliners. We've got ABC's Stephen Portnoy to tell us the latest on that. Okay, so I said, I had a six sick holiday, And you know, sick can be good and it can be bad. So sick, the good part was I got to go home, spend time with family and see friends, and we did shopping, and we did did a little wine tasting. The Rogue Valley in southern Oregon has become quite a little hub for wineries, and so as a person who enjoys a little taste of wine, we had a nice time. So in that way, it was very sick. And I got to spend time with my mom, which was great, and she I don't know what your family does, but my mom is one of those. Well, she's an overachiever when it comes to holidays. She has like six Christmas trees. They're all over the house and it's so cool because and then she has them on timer, so they go on and off. But when I'm home, I set them so that they're almost always on because they're so pretty. So it's very festive at Mom's house. Now on the sick part, the literal sick part. My brother was driving to southern Oregon to spend Christmas with the rest of the family, and he got less than halfway there and he's like, I'm sick, and he had been sick for a couple of days. He said, I'm going to try to fight through it. I'm going to come and he like, I said, he's less than halfway there, and he just goes. I feel horrible. I said, then turn around. You got to go home. And so what should have taken him like four hours to get home took him seven hours because he kept like falling asleep while he was driving, so he had to pull over. So we didn't get to see my brother for Christmas, so that's bad. And then the younger brother got sick at Christmas, so he's better now. And I've been oding on vitamin C and my mom is so cute. I'm like, Mom, would you like an emergency and she's like, no, thanks, I eat an orange every day and she's healthy as a horse. So also I was mentioning why economic travel is not always the best idea. I got to take a Velo Airlines, which I've had great experiences with before. So it's one of the low cost carriers and it flies to some like random places that a lot of the bigger airlines don't fly, and has direct flights, so like if you fly Alaska to smaller cities, you have to like stop in Portland or Seattle and then go back south to get to southern Oregon. Sort of it's problematic. So a Vello has this great flight from Burbank to med and the rates are very inexpensive. The base rate is like seventy nine dollars, but you can get them for like thirty nine dollars or fifty nine dollars. But then they charge you for absolutely everything. So you get a small you get a backpack, but if you want to carry on, that's sixty dollars. Carry On is sixty dollars. If you want to check a bag, that's sixty dollars. So I had to check two bags, so that was one hundred and twenty dollars. And then they're like, hey, want a seat, that's going to cost you too, so and it's anywhere from I think nineteen dollars up to about sixty five dollars, and so I didn't choose a seat, and so they assign you one. Well, you always get the middle seat. So I'm like a nine E and my seat doesn't recline, and I swear they've shoved another row of seats in there because my knees were touching, and I'm tall, I'm like five eight, but I'm not that tall. So next time I might splurge and spend the extra one hundred two hundred dollars, because by the time everything added up, if you put in the luggage and the carry on and bought a seat, then you're back up to three or four hundred dollars for the flight anyway, So why not just take another airline? So that's my wise words of wisdom. Although I will say I've had a good experience on a Vello before, just the one on Saturday wasn't great.
Speaker 5: So do your homework.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Biden has ordered flags at the White House and across the US and its territories to be flown at half staff in honor of former President Jimmy Carter, who died yesterday at the age of one hundred.
Speaker 10: America and the world, my view, lost a remarkable leader.
Speaker 1: Carter died yesterday at his home in Plains, Georgia. Biden says he's known Carter for fifty years.
Speaker 10: Millions are people all around the world, all over the world. I feel they lost a friend as well, even though they never men. And that's because Jimmy Carter lived a life measured not by words but by his deeds.
Speaker 1: Carter was elected president after the resignation of President Nixon. He brokeer the nineteen seventy eight Camp David peace accord between Israel and Egypt, but his presidency was marred by inflation, energy shortages, and Iran taking fifty two American hostages. When Carter left office, he spent his life doing humanitarian work. President elect Trump also praised Carter for his service to the nation. Trump said in a statement, those of us who have been fortunate to have served as president understand this is a very exclusive club, and only we can relate to the enormous responsibility of leading the greatest nation in history. Trump went on to say the challenges Carter faced as president came at a pivotal time for the country, and he did everything in his power to improve the lives of all Americans. He says, for that, we all owe him a debt of gratitude. President elect Trump's nominee for Chair of the FCC says he's questioning ABC's negotiation with local TV stations. Brendan Carr says it's his understanding that ABC is trying to get financial and operational concessions from TV stations or it could end their affiliate agreements. When local stations air ABC content, they have to pay the network. The FAA is investigating a close call at lax.
Speaker 5: Stop Stop.
Speaker 1: A Delta Airlines flight was taking off Friday when a private jet carrying the Gonzaga men's college basketball team crossed its path. No one got hurt. The Gonzaga team went on to play UCLA the following day. A small but significant earthquake has jolted an area of northwestern Ohio.
Speaker 11: The US Geological Survey says a two point nine magnitude quake hit the village of Hicksville in Defiance County just after six thirty am Sunday. What's unique about that is there are no known faults in that area. In fact, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, there's never been a record an earthquake in Defiance County before, but now this one is the strongest to hit that part of the state in the last twenty five years. I'm Jack Crumley.
Speaker 1: You know, Moe Kelly gives you gives us all a hard time if we mention earthquakes if they're not at least a five. So when I heard that story and it's like, oh, it's a two point nine. But I guess they never feel them. So if they felt it, it might have been a little scholten. Public observances are planned in Washington, d c. And Atlanta for former President Jimmy Carter. The services will be followed by a private internment in Carter's hometown of Plains, Georgia, where he died yesterday. The family is asking for donations to be made to the Carter Center in low of flowers. Jimmy Carter was one hundred years old. At least four people have been killed as severe storms moved through the South. More than thirty tornadoes touchdown over the weekend in Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas. A man in North Carolina was killed when a tree fell on his truck during a rainstorm. Lufasse is king at the box office. The Lion King prequel took in just under sixty four million dollars in the five days of Christmas. Sonic three was second, which is under sixty million in ticket sales. The horror movie Nasparatu scared its way into third place. Wicked and Mowana rounded out the top five. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, but this morning it's Wayne on the News. Wayne Resnick's filling in for Bill Handle. A boy in a bubble found off the coast of Brazil. Really bizarre story. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, what's the flat between Elon Musk and the Veik rumas Swami and some Trump supporters about H one B versus.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a pretty epic rift in Magaworld which pits some of the long standing supporters of the America First movement and really the intellectual basis of it, people such as Steve Bannon and others, against some of the newcomers who are newly influential, people like Elon Musk and Vek Ramaswami who are right at Donald Trump's side.
Speaker 1: And the issue is over.
Speaker 7: These highly skilled workers from other countries who are brought to the United States to work for companies and be granted H one B VISUS. This is mainly seen in the tech sector. It's for highly skilled computer programmers and coders and other kinds of people who have unique skills where they can sit and perform what are generally seen in the tech world as sort of menial tasks coding. And the idea is that we simply in this country do not have enough qualified people to fill those jobs, and the tech industry leaders say that they have no choice but to bring in foreign workers to perform these tasks, and that's why they want to see an expansion of the H one B program. Steve Bannon's perspective is that it presses the wages of Americans, that they're certainly Americans who would love the opportunity to have these jobs, and that this program should be smaller or shut down altogether. Donald Trump over the weekend seemed to weigh in on the side of musk and Ramaswami, telling The New York Post that he believes H one B is a great program that he has used many times now. There may be some confusion here on Trump's part, because the record reflects that he has much more often taken advantage of the H two program. To bring in lower skilled workers cooks, housekeepers, and waiters versus the highly skilled tech jobs that are typically seen by the H one B program. Although his Trump Media and Technology Group does have an application to bring in a data analyst, the posted salary is sixty five thousand dollars, not clear whether that position was filled. And under the H two program for agricultural workers, Trump is seeking thirty one foreign vineyard farm workers. According to the New York Times, the listed salary for them is fifth teen dollars eighty one cents an hour. And that's it is winery in Charlottesville, Virginia. Again, this is an epic philosophical struggle. And last week you had vike Ramaswamy going on a tear on social media talking about how American culture is flawed in many respects, that we here in the United States value prom queens over mathletes, and leisure time over hard work and valedictor I'm sorry, jocks over valedictorians, Stefan or Kel over Steve Rkele, and Zach and Slater over Screech some deep seated resentment. It seems to me that vivike Ramaswami has and it has also resulted in some racist posts directed towards him and anti Indian sentiment in particular exploding on social media. So this is a really strong and powerful rift here, and it's been depicted sort of as a maga civil war. Let's see how it all plays out. But at the end of the day, for the moment, Trump seems to be siding with Musk and Ramaswami.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Steven, here's a question. We talked about how they're saying we need these H one B visa people to come in and that there aren't enough in the US, and then people are saying there's lots of people who would want those jobs. Do we have any data showing that we do have people to fill those jobs that are highly technical and like you said, kind of menial but needed.
Speaker 7: Well, look there, you could look at the statistics the number of people, for example, who graduate every year from colleges with a computer science degree and the number of jobs that exist in the tech sector. You could look at the ability now for a lot of this work to be done remotely from other countries. Anyway, I'm not an expert in this area and I don't have the data in front of me, but again broader and more philosophic. The issue is whether it's in the interest of America and American workers to have this program, because the argument is that if you bring in the foreigners, they're competing with Americans. The requirements of the program is that a company has to certify to the federal government that there simply aren't any qualified Americans to fill these posts, and the company has no choice but to bring in foreigners. And that's why this information is publicly available, and the salary data is posted publicly so everybody can peer in and see. The argument has been that companies have misused this program and displaced Americans to bring in lower paid foreigners who are eager to do the work, because for them it's a complete and total it's a total change of their lifestyle, and it allows them the opportunity to bring in their relatives to this country and offer the whole family a new start. That's nice, But the argument, again from the America first types, is that it undercuts the Americans who are already who are looking for work, and how is that in the interest of the country. So again there are no right or wrong answers here, But this debate is ongoing, and Trump seems to for the moment be sympathetic to the tech executives who are newly influential and very much.
Speaker 2: In his ear.
Speaker 1: And maybe putting all of this in the spotlight will be enlightening and we'll see who who's actually right, how it all plays out. You bet, all right, Stephen Portinoy, thank you so much. Appreciate it, you bet. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One thing that maybe on people's New Year's resolutions list for twenty twenty five is how to limit time on social media. Doctor Darien Sutton of New York says, the first thing you can do is look at your numbers.
Speaker 3: Change your settings when you go into those apps.
Speaker 8: You can set settings for a night time, when you're about to go to bed.
Speaker 3: You can set daily limits.
Speaker 2: Also, my suggestion, get rid of your notifications.
Speaker 1: Oh I so am in favor of notifications, drive me crazy. The experts generally recommend keeping your usage of social media to between thirty minutes and two hours per day. Flu season is picking up after a slow start this winter.
Speaker 4: Data from the CDC found that positive tests went up by twelve percent for the weekending December twenty first, compared to the week before. Over twelve thousand people were hospitalized from the virus. Flu activity typically starts to pick up about Halloween, but this year activity just started picking up in recent weeks. The CDC says flu activity was hised in Louisiana and Oregon for the weekending December twentieth. Activity was also high along the West coast and throughout the South. I'm Chris Cracio.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what my brother had. Maybe that's what both my brothers said. Who knows. Researchers say a new sunscreen may block harmful rays from the sun and keep you cool at the same time. The sunscreen has been developed by researchers in China who say it can keep you up to eleven degrees cooler than other sunscreens that are on the market. They say their new formula includes in green adians the block UV rays, as well as moisturizing creams and a common silicon or silicone polymer that is used in cosmetics. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI low clouds, fog this morning, then sunny with highs in the sixties at the beaches, Metro La and Inlando. C Sunny and windy, with highs in the sixties to about seventy in the valleys and Inland Empire. Low sixties for the Anelope Valley. Morning clouds and sunny Tomorrow with highs in the low to upper sixties at the beaches and Metro areas, sixties to mid seventies in the valleys in Ie, around sixty for the Anelope Valley. Then we're going to warm up into the sixties to upper seventies for New Year's Day. It's fifty three in Anaheim, fifty six Redondo Beach, fifty two in Calabasas, fifty one in Rancho Cucamonga. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Michelle who's filling in for an and technical producer Cono. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime. It's on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.