Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. These guys are your favorites, so light say subscribe and raid it.
Speaker 2: Five stary s and me today listening, Oh watchy, lim always keep its watchy.
Speaker 3: And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 4: Greetings, Bobo. How you doing today, sir?
Speaker 5: Not too shabby? How's going with you?
Speaker 4: Not too shabby either. There's been some little bit of shab here and there, but for the most part, I'm shabless.
Speaker 5: Nice. That's a good way to do. I gotta say, Cliff, you're not You're not too shabby always, You're never shabby.
Speaker 3: You flatter me.
Speaker 4: What do you bet? Hey, Bobo, this is your second week of a job. But what's it like being a working joe working four or five days a week or third week?
Speaker 3: Third week? Don't care how you how? You holding up?
Speaker 5: Pretty good. It's a challenging. It's the schools up here were up so long for like COVID, that the kids, I guess are just so far behind on like social structure and class etiquette. And I was talking with all the teachers today, not all of them, but several of them at lunch and they were like, they said, it's just it's just a different ballgame, full different animal of the kids now that two years, especially at this age, I was in fifth grade the day because I roam and I was in the fifth grade class, and so those kids missed, you know, like first second grade, like they just were at home, like learning over zoom and zoom. Like, you know, trying to keep a six or seven year old focus on a zoom call for seven hours a day. Whatever it was, I guess didn't really bad classroom decorum and such.
Speaker 3: No, no, trying to keep three guys in their forties and fifties focused on a zoom callege.
Speaker 4: Yeah, says our producer. Right, well, you know, I really feel like I really feel like I probably got out of teaching at a really good time, and I think today's teachers I haven't taught since before finding Bigfoot. Of course, my last year in the classroom was twenty ten. I believe you teach every day, Cliff, I do. It's different. It's different though I don't. I don't wrangle a group of thirty of them or twenty five or thirty of them every single day. And it's just a different gig now. Especially with COVID taking a break, you know, out of their education for a couple of.
Speaker 3: Years, and I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, being an elementary school teacher for so long, I've got some pretty strong opinions about the way things go. And I think generally speaking, you know that we don't have such a terrible education system here in the United States, because I see the blood, sweat, and tears that these teachers pour into the classroom every single day. But I do see that teachers in the school system in general is very easy to throw rocks at for politicians and other people who are looking for a nice scape go, but they don't understand what goes on in the trenches and in the staggering challenges that teachers have to deal with. You know, twenty five or thirty people children coming to you from a variety of backgrounds and socioeconomic conditions and language abilities and everything like that, and you have them in one class and you have to perform miracles every single day with them, and somehow it all kind of works out more or less, you know, trying to address every single student's need. And so I'm kind of happy that you're in the classroom, you know, because another thing that you and I can share together is just like being veterans of that war zone, you know, and really it's a war of love of anything.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: We support these students and children everything we can do to help them succeed and help them become better thems, you know, better people, true to themselves.
Speaker 5: You know. Yeah, it's kind of tough to keep that line of trying to be firm and make them do stuff and still be like not alienated and all that, because the kids there are so sense. They're like they you know, they got like I need my space and I can just walk out of a classroom, you know and go walk around for ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that that that'd be kind of tough. But you know that that therein lies an opportunity for trust.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I have often said, I, if you want to to be trustworthy, you have you have to take a chance and trust, you know. And and and of course that also teaches them when they screw up, when they go fool around and do stuff that they shouldn't be doing. Then you say, okay, well here's a consequence for that. You know, our trust goes two ways here, and there's consequences to, you know, not so much disobeying. You know, it's never that kind of teacher. But you know, we had an agreement. We hadn't We had a written unwritten contract here, and you violated it. So now there's a consequence to it. And if that ain't life, man, I don't know what is, because that's the way everything works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they're I love them. They're they're great, you know, they're they're they're fun.
Speaker 4: The challenges presented to teachers and professional educators, I don't want to just know with the teachers, because that's only one, you know, one person on the team there. You know, professional educators like yourself, you know, going into the classrooms and doing this and being done in the trenches. I can't sing praises high enough, and I think unless you've been there and seen it, you're unlikely to sing praises in that same sort of way. But I encourage every parent who has a student in public school to go volunteer, go see what it's really like, and you know, pay some dues.
Speaker 7: I guess in some ways, especially parents need to get in there and see what's going on. I know a lot of them are too busy and jobs and this and that. But they can take a day off once in a while and get in there at least once a year, you know, get in there with your kid and see what's shaken.
Speaker 4: Oh and also you know, there's really strong research that shows a direct correlation between parent involvement and student performance essentially, so even I mean I've said that to my parents all the time parent conferences or whatever. So yeah, seeving committed the classroom, do something involved with the school, show up because if you show up, that shows your student, your your child, that school is important and and you care. The family cares about it. So yeah, I think every parent should be involved to some degree. You know, you don't have to be in the classroom every week or something like that, but you know if you can come, you know, once a month or something even coming by the school, that that that actually literally will help your students perform better. Simple, the simplest things, man, the simplest things improve a student's likelihood of success. You know, in the school labyrinth that all of us are kind of put through. Anyway, we stop to hear you that you're digging your job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's it's rewarding.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: And you know, what and students out there. I'm sure we have a lot of young listeners as well. If you can navigate the labyrinth of education, you too can have a big Foot podcast with one of your best friends and earn beer money on it.
Speaker 5: Young people aren't earning beer money.
Speaker 4: Cliff now, because they're way better at social media than we are. They're probably earning a living.
Speaker 5: So I got some listener questions line.
Speaker 4: The Yeah it is that day. It's the Q and A Day, my favorite of the month as far as podcasting goes, where we get to get questions directly from our listeners and of course you guys listening out there. You can submit questions to us anything you want to know. It doesn't have to be Bigfoot related. Most questions seem to be, but it doesn't have to be. It's not like we're a one dimensional kind of people up here. You know, we're not one dimensional folks. We do other things in our life, have other interests as well, just Bigfoot. It seems to be our favorite. So you can ask us questions. You can either write us or you can actually call us and leave a message, which is always a lot of fun. And Matt Prue will put the links to those kind of things down in the show notes, so feel free to check those out. Should we start with a call though, bobes, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Oh, you know what, I was just gonna say, Prue, I'm not sure what's part of when in, But when I told that ghost story from Hawaii about the big party at a pipeline, I actually found some pictures from from the party. I was going to send them to post.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's do it. That reminds me. We got an email from a listener named Christian who wrote to say that he loved Bobo's North Shore ghost story and said that Volcom House in the early two thousands was an exclusive spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, Well, Bobo was an exclusive guest there you go see us. So somebody knew what kind of what you were talking about at the Vulcom House. Vulcm House, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about. So I just sit back and listen.
Speaker 5: It's just a clothing company that had like has a diamond kind of shape logo.
Speaker 4: I just listened to your verbage cascade over my years and tickle my brain. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Hey, Matt.
Speaker 4: Did we get any other fun feedback from any of those episodes?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there was a message here from a listener named Brodie who says he's been a big fan for a long time and said that he loved the ghost Stories episode, thought it was a great idea, and said, I love hearing ghost stories from anyone, but from Bobo and Cliff is really such a treat. Can can we do this every year? And I think that should be the case.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys will have any new ghost stories by next year, but I'm certain we could do ghost themed episodes. We've done ghost or spooky themed episodes for Halloween for the last couple of years, so we can keep that trend going for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh you know, speaking of spooky stuff, Bob, but you saw the picture I sent you of Greg and Dana Nwkirk coming to the museum. Yeah, Oh, what a pleasure it was to connect back with them again. By the way, Yeah, I miss those guys, really really really nice folks. Yeah, they came in with a couple of their friends and they were they were very, very.
Speaker 3: Impressed with the museum.
Speaker 4: They had I guess a gig in town or something and they're on they do a tour now because they have a very very strong Patreon, you know, membership sort of thing that they do when they do like I don't know what they do because I'm not a member or anything, but I know they do like member meetings kind of like I do at the museum, and they do like they used to do, like Witchy Thing of the Month club or something like that. They've got a lot of really interesting and creative ways to please their patrons, you know. But they also do a podcast now, and what a pleasure it was. I think they had a very very successful gig and they're singing the praises of the museum. So Greg and Dana sure appreciate that. In fact, when Greg and Dana were at the museum, some customers came in. They're like pointing over to where we're standing, like and I'm thinking, of course, like, oh, they recognized me. Now they didn't recognize me. They recognized Greg and Dana. They didn't know who I was, which is awesome. And then they came over and they took pictures with Greg and Dana. That's hilarious, super funny, super funny because you know, at the museum. I'm kind of used to being recognized, and so probably the only place I am recognized nowadays, honestly because people know I own it or whatever. So I thought that was awesome, pulling the rug out of from underneath my what's left and my ego. Yeah, but what a pleasure it was to hang out with them. So and of course hats off to them. You know why they're so great too, to me at least, is that they're the only paranormal sort of folks that are out there and saying, you know what, you're just projecting that onto an experience is probably not paranormal at all, or they I've also seen them say well, there's a whole lot of mental illness in the paranormal community, you know, and stuff like that, like really kind of harsh critiques of the community that they're bathing in. And I've said similar things about the Bigfoot community and stuff. And of course I get a lot of like poop flick at me because of that, but I'm sure they do as well. But they're the ones out there who are full on one hundred and ten percent paranormal, but out there with a very very skeptical eye and saying that, you know what, so much of this paranormal stuff seems to be just psychology and projection, even though other real paranormal things happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had them on the show, right, didn't we have them on like early on? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 4: They were great guests, of course, and they have their own podcast too. It might add a Haunted Objects podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that's the mobile museum that travel their traveling museums. It's like Haunted Objects. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm encouraging them to make a brick and mortar.
Speaker 3: I hope they do.
Speaker 4: Now there road Dogs, Yeah, they are, they're they're they're warriors, man of what they do, traveling around doing this stuff. But they sold out. I mean there's a little theater over in albert I don't know how little it is. I've never been there, but they were they sold the place out like quite a bit in advance as well. So and uh they of course Melissa and I were invited to go down as their guests, but we we just couldn't get out our dogs. So Chie she's been kind of going through some medical stuff lately, and she had gone to the vet twice in one week, and you know, and one of one of which was the very same day, so we didn't want to like leave her and stress her out even more, so we decided to stay home. And unfortunate because I would have loved to see in greg A Dana's show and the thing they have going. I've heard great reports about it, though it's kind of like very feel good sort of positive thing centered around empowering their their their audience, I guess, you know, to do their own investigations. I wish I could have seen it.
Speaker 5: So she must be in bad shape with melissaus that.
Speaker 4: She's probably gonna have to have her thumb amputated, you know, her dew claw, the big infection, and there's a tumor in it and stuff they're seeing if it's cancer is there's things going on with soci. I've got that she's got some issues right now, and I'm of course we're devastated about it, but you know, so she's our everything, you know, so we're kind of like wading through the veterinarian pool at this moment. So, yeah, she goes under the knife this weekend on Sunday.
Speaker 5: We had it.
Speaker 4: We was scheduled for later in the month, but when the surgeon saw it, she she goes, you know, we need to do this sooner rather than later. Let's get this taken care of. So she's gonna go. We're gonna go cut off her dew claw, her thumb basically on Sunday, and god, I mean, her handwriting is terrible now, I can't imagine what it's going to be after she loses.
Speaker 3: So and keeping with the spooky theme, I'll pull one of the questions out of order because one of the questions was about that. But I will say too, we did that great Halloween release members only episode and people really really love that, which reminded me if you're thinking about becoming a member, dear listener, we now offer annual memberships and that's at ten percent off, so you're you're going to get like a pretty good discount. There a ten percent discount to do an annual membership. And then, like I said in the prelude to last week's episode, if you're an Apple user, make sure if you're about to become a member, that you sign up either through your web browser or your mobile browser, because now Apple is imposing a fee on anything that's signed up through the app and their app store, and we don't want you to have to pay that fee. It's a thirty percent fee. We don't get any of that. Patreon doesn't get any of that. Only Apple does, and so there's no need to give them additional money. So ten percent discount's now available for annual memberships. And if you're thinking about becoming a member and you're an Apple listener, just sign up at the link in the show notes using Safari or whatever your web browser is.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: This question came in. We'll jump out of order here starting with the voicemail. Since we were talking about the Halloween episode. I really thought this was fun, and so we'll pop this one in first.
Speaker 4: Okay, I see my name in capitol letters here. I'll go ahead and read this one. Bobes all right, Jen Serrata, I think, says Cliff. I just listened to your Halloween episode. This has nothing to do with Bigfoot, But I too have seen a seven foot tall easter bunny when I was seven years old. I have told no one, not even my husband of twenty five years. Please tell me the bunny you saw was pink and white.
Speaker 3: I need to know I'm not alone.
Speaker 4: I don't you know what. Honestly, it was dark, so everything in the dark is kind of like black and whitish, and actually my memory of it is also black and white. Now that I'm looking at it, I kind of got the impression it was yellowish, but that's probably from outside sources, because wasn't that a rabbit and Winnie the Pooh like yellowish and I kind of always associated that rabbit. I think there was a rabbit in that as Easter buddy, So I can't say for sure, Jen if it was pink and white. I remember it was quite large, and it was at least the size of the door. It's the door frame itself, you know. And I was younger than seven. I have to tell you that I was probably two or three or so. I've got and you know how memories are from that, you know, that long ago, that stage in your life. They're all pretty wonky, they're all pretty psychedelic, you know. I don't know what color it was. I wish I had something for you.
Speaker 3: On that one, but but.
Speaker 4: It's nice to know that I'm not alone. So I suspect there wasn't a seven foot tall bipedal rabbit in my parents' house when I was at age. I suspect it's just some weird, trippy little kid thing, you know.
Speaker 5: The bunny Man, Bubble shut the Bundy Man.
Speaker 4: Now there you go. Yeah, yeah, to talk about the South Park episode that we were we were guests on, even though we didn't get to do the voices, they took our faces and put it on South Park. I assume everybody knows about that.
Speaker 3: But I love all the Bobo lines, like when the Bubo character says, Bobo thing scary, shut up for the money Baker guys like use the therm milivager and it shows that the Bobo character goes it got all orange e.
Speaker 5: All right for that's enough Bobo.
Speaker 3: Can you watch that and laugh? Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I get a little mad, but I think it's it's an epic episode. I mean, without without anything, without nothing to do with it, it's still It's just I love anything to do with Cartman, and that's a Cartman one.
Speaker 3: So they did watch the Bobo character. The Bobo character should have been more like, you know, like dude, what you know, like a charismatic and assertive and you know southern California. Yeah, I'm missing words here because I've been up since like three fifteen this morning. But you know, just that sort of like hyper assertive, real charismatic, not just southern California, but you know, like, come on, guys, let's go like taking charge of things, not just kind of a sheepish only ways, because that's totally not Bobo at all. So they missed that completely and.
Speaker 5: They made money. They can look great and ren they didn't talk Cliff was normal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they didn't say one word and the whole thing.
Speaker 5: No, that was hilarious.
Speaker 3: She said she got off lucky. Some suggested it might be a critique itself. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well so I need to Yeah, that's how they take it. It was more like they weren't They weren't letting her slide. It was kind of like an underhanded slide.
Speaker 3: I would say the primo version of Bobo on screen is the Sagot episode. Once again, I would encourage all listeners to go listen to that, or go back and listen to our recap of that in Memoriam of Bob Saggat. But Bobo was on fire that weekend and a lot of that's on camera and you can tell it like Saggot loved it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he absolutely loved it. And you know the best part of that entire episode where the out not not the outtakes, but the special features. I don't know if those are anywhere. I don't know if they're on the DVD of the Sagot stuff that he did or what. But like those little mini episodes that they put out before the release of it, where Bobo and Sagitt go to buy a Samurai sword in Port Angelus, Washington, that that was gold. That was like top top shelf Bobo.
Speaker 3: I gotta see if I can find because those used to be online, and if they still are, I'll link them, because yeah, that was That'll show you like Bobo's telling Sagot what to do every step of the way. Sagoth's like, okay, okay, there's no sheepishness whatsoever on Bobo's part.
Speaker 4: No, it was. It was comedy gold. It was ridiculous. It was skinned Bobo in top form. Well, okay, shall we continue on with the questions here?
Speaker 3: I think we can dig into it. So we got one voicemail for this month that came in and it's from a dear friend of ours.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's I do kind of remember this from previous years as we got closer to the holiday season, there was less of that. Now on our member side, we've got a ton of questions. But on the made side, since the last Q and A we recorded, we've only got one voicemail. So here it is.
Speaker 6: Hey, Cliff Bobo and Matt Scott Dieter early here, longtime page, first time caller. My question for you is this, what was your age when Bigfoot captured your focus? And if you could go back in time, what words of wisdom would Cliff, Bobo and Matt of today go back and tell yourselves at the start of your journey in Sasquatry. Thanks in advance for your answers, and thanks for letting us patrons get to virtually hang out with you all twice a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Scott's cool man. I like that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I'd say for me, I was five, I'd say stay the course or on the right path.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think I became first interested in like when I was, you know, five years old approximately give or take a year. Actually went to kindergarten at four years old, you know, so I'm not sure, you know, somewhere in there, four or five, six years old, somewhere in there, because I was watching monster stuff. My mom was into the universal monsters and stuff. But I can't say that it became a focus of mine. I forget the word that Scott used, but it was something like that, like a focus or something. It wasn't a focus of mine until college, you know, Like I was like about twenty or twenty two or something like that at the time, and that's where I kind of jumped in the pool and never came up for air again, essentially, and I've been drowned ever since. In the beginning days, it was just an interest because I loved monsters, and you know, I think were wolves particularly scared me as a little boy, and to me, a bigfoot thing was very werewolfy, you know. And I've always kept those odd, eccentric interests. I'm kind of a weird guy. I always have been. Yeah, and there you go, and that's probably it. But as far as advice, I may have given myself the advice to pursue a degree in paleoanthropology because I think that my interest in paleo anthropology is pretty high and I think that has a whole lot to do with the subject. I think, and I've said I think I even said it last week or the week before. Is like, I think anybody who takes this bigfoot subject seriously really should study human origins. It's very insightful. I think learning about it, it creates a ton of insight for you as far as sasquatches go. Yeah, so I think I probably would have encouraged myself to do that, But knowing me, I wouldn't listen. I don't listen to advice. I'm not very good at that. It's like, you can't tell me what to do. Come on, no one's telling me what to do, not even myself exactly exactly. I remember one time I was driving on finding Bigfoot, and you were, you were, as you often did, criticizing my driving.
Speaker 5: No I was, I was teaching.
Speaker 4: Well, whatever you were doing, I'm just thinking, oh man, I remember that. So many, so many good and bad memories just flooded back to me and paralyzed my tongue for a moment. But this particular time, I remember the quote. And I still say this to this day, because you know, I was like driving and there's painted lines on the road and stop signs and things like that. And you you said you're gonna let paint tell you what to do. Nope, yeah, kindam Actually, but I didn't remember that time got pissed at me for doing something for the way I was driving, and you reached over and and you wrench the wheel out of my hand while I was driving.
Speaker 5: No, no, I was just I was just moving your hands. I could honk the horn.
Speaker 4: You have your memories.
Speaker 3: I have mine.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, it was scary. It's like, no, you don't get to you don't get to grab the wheel when I drive.
Speaker 5: If you were listening, Cliff, I wouldn't have had to good point.
Speaker 3: It is my fault. I drove Bobo to and from Knoxville, and I didn't hear a single complaint. So either he's calm down, you're a good driver, I'll take it. I thought Bobo was gonna say that his advice to his younger self would be like, whatever you do, don't sell a trailer. Someday you did say it was your biggest regret ever in life.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: And Cliff's advice to his younger self was, whatever you do, don't let your friends park their trailer on your property. I've already broken that rule.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: You know what's in my garage right now? A trailer? No, yeah, but you know whose it is. It's Gary's, it's my neighbor.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, it's yeah.
Speaker 4: Gary's got this huge trailer's like forty like it's I think it's literally forty five feet long. It's it's like nicer than like most of you know, apartments. But that's how he rolls. And he went up to Alaska for a few months. He drags it around and you know, and he's, uh, he put it in there to redo the top and it's been in there for five four or five four days, five days and he's over halfway done with.
Speaker 5: It now due what.
Speaker 4: With redoing the entire top of the uh of the trailer. Oh dang, Well, you and I were intended. Well, Gary's like that man. Gary's that kind of guy. Or it's there, he's going to get it done. And when he asked me if he could put it in there because because it's raining here, you know, it's it's fall, it's winter, it's raining crazy now, And I said, well, I'll ask Melissa. You know, although we just got rid of a trailer and it's by going and kind of sheepishly asked Melissa, so uh, Gary asked if he could put his trailer in there. Shees, Oh, yeah, that's no problem. It won't be there lung. It's like, oh all right. So yeah, he was tearing out the top and redoing like all those things that you were telling us. That telling me that we had to do to your trailer, but we didn't understand what to do, like he apparently does.
Speaker 5: His didn't have a structural damage and stuff. His is just you know, it's in good shave. It's just peel it and mine I had to like replace all the ply would.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's doing some of that.
Speaker 4: I guess. I guess what is that crappy plywood? It's like, you know, a press board, you know, basically that's kind of the roof in there. There were two leaks in there, so he's doing a little bit of that. But nonetheless, I just thought, how ironic is that traded one for the other. Although Gary's will probably be gone by the end of the week or so because he doesn't let anything sit undone, you know, which is great, a great neighbor to have. But until like it's, you know, eight o'clock in the morning on a Saturday, and you get a call, Hey, can you help me with this? It's of course I can. You know, I've got to get up and go.
Speaker 3: You had to answer Scott's question, like, I started looking into it hard at about so I would say twenty years old, although I really started going out in the field and getting pretty intense with that at like twenty two, so maybe the age twenty doesn't count, but thereabouts twenty to twenty two. And the advice I would give myself, I'm pretty fortunate to have a pretty steel trap memory, but of course I don't know what things I might have forgotten, because if I did, I wouldn't have forgotten them. And so my advice to my younger self would be take copious notes all the time. And I do have them. I'm staring at like a three drawer file cabinet right now that is full of notebooks, and all of those notebooks are full. But I didn't start doing that until like, for gosh, twenty ten, twenty eleven, and I still could be better about it, But those early days, like, yeah, I would say, take copious notes, write everything down. It'll all matters someday, like at least on a personal level, like I would love to have that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish I did a bit. I wish I do a better job now, honestly, but you can only do so much.
Speaker 3: That is what I've been learning.
Speaker 4: Indeed, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: This one comes from Heidi Campbell, High Globo and Matt. I was wondering if you think that sasquatches are self aware? Also, what do you think of sabsquatch would do if they found a freestanding mirror in the woods where they recognize their own reflection, make funny faces, or check the mirror high into the trees. You guys are beyond awesome. I like that keeping it squatchy and socow. Heidi, Yeah, that's been done a lot, and of course they've encountered mirrors plenty of times out there, like reflective windows. I believe they're self aware. I think they. I mean, we don't know for sure yet, but I think they are.
Speaker 4: I would think so too. I think all ape species are actually and they're at least as smart as the other apes. Maybe even a little bit more a third little closer related to us. Who knows, But yeah, I think that they would be a self aware to at least some degree, and aware of others and what are similar to them and what's not similar to them, and that kind of stuff. But what would they do if they ran across a mirror, I don't know. I think that the ones deep in the woods, they might be very, very surprised by it, of course, you know, like you see these videos of gorillas and whatever seeing a mirror for the first time. But the ones a little bit closer to town, they've probably seen their reflection a couple of times, as Bobo said, you know, whether it's walking by a vehicle or a house or something like that.
Speaker 5: Or lakes and pause just like when there's no win it's smooth and glassy, and they they've definitely seen the reflections and ponds and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you would think so, right at some point or another. Whether they noticed it or not is another question I guess as well. But I would think they would probably be very very self aware in some ways. You know.
Speaker 3: I think if you passed in front of a mirror and saw him self, he'd start flexing. No, that's Bobo, But yeah, I would think that they'd be self aware, and that to Bobo's point that just through actions of fishing and things of that nature, they've probably seen their own reflection in water or slow moving creeks or rivers, things like that. I think there's plenty of opportunities in nature with water at least to see your own reflection, let alone, and especially vehicles. Like there's a story that comes to mind. I've probably told her before, but there was a guy that I interviewed once who had a really close extended siding where he was in the driver's side of his vehicle and his vehicle was parked, and the thing walked up basically to like the driver's side headlight and leaned over and was staring. And he had said to me, he said, you know, in retrospect, I don't know if it could see me, because it was right like pre dawn, so it was twilight, but the sun hadn't broken over the horizon or over the treetops yet, so it was light but not daylight yet. And he said, you know, under those conditions, like it might have only seen the reflection of itself in the sky on that windshield because it was dark ish, you know, like it wouldn't have seen him clearly in there because he wasn't illuminated the human and so he was like, I wonder if it was just staring at this glassy reflective surface and didn't even realize there was a person in there. Fully, so who knows, But circumstances like that, you think, yeah, they'd have to see their own reflections.
Speaker 4: Well, what do you think they would do if they saw a mirror? I kind of think it would just like be annoyed by it. I think I think that we're annoying the Sasquatches.
Speaker 5: I talked to someone that watched one that would see it come up, and it was one of those big fish eye mirrors, like the you know, like like people have on hair print terms with their driva comes out on a hairprint turn on the road. These guys had one on a dirt road and that they saw twice the big looking in the mirror like pointing at it stuff, pointing at itself. Yeah, like you know, touching the touching the mirror which finger was and all that.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's interesting. Yeah, what made me think about the flex to make that joke? Do you remember there was a long term witness case from the nineteen nineties near Oreville, California, and the woman had said that the big male would come out like display for her and it would stand there like flex its muscles and stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't remember that.
Speaker 5: Lots of animalsts display. See.
Speaker 3: I think if it came out and flexed, if Bobo flex back, it would run away, like the story I told on a previous episode where a friend of mine was on an early PFRO expedition in the Olympic Peninsula with Bobo, and he told me that they're having some pretty aggressive activity at this tree line and that Bobo bluff charged it, beating his chest and screaming, and they heard this huge thing tear off and run away. Everyone else was terrified, and so Bobo like charged it right away. And my buddy said that Bobo just turned to the group and said, yeah, that usually freaks him out.
Speaker 4: It doesn't freak anybody out.
Speaker 3: Dog pile.
Speaker 5: Erect right.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Heidi's a good listener, a good number of ours and so appreciate that question.
Speaker 4: Oh, a member, but asking questions on this side of the fence. Interesting, cool, thanks Heidi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's sent in member questions via DM before on the Patreon side. That one came into the email, so I'm assuming since it came through the regular route that it was meant for the main show.
Speaker 4: We might be running out of regular listeners. Everybody's going over to the membership.
Speaker 3: Side if they know what's good for them, if they want them AD free episodes and now ten percent annual discounts, and.
Speaker 4: The pictures, don't forget the pictures, and you made a video for him now, and there's all sorts of stuff happening on that side of the fence. All right, we let's op to the next question here. This one's froms Palo Tourette, just wondering about the different types of relati hominoids across the globe sasquatch, alma, yetti a, ringpindec, et cetera. And the European Scandinavian tales of similar creatures. Do you think the tales of wood wos, Stallo et cera were similar creatures or something else? And what's your take on there being any left in the deep forests. Love the podcast. It's refreshing to hear a concent learned discussion between three people passionate about the subjects. What podcast is this guy listen into?
Speaker 3: With the Scandinavian stuff, to me, the big market difference, and with what I would refer to as the sort of various manifestations of the wild man archetype. The reason that those differ so greatly than the Sasquatch is that if you look at the Sasquatch subject, you have an unbroken timeline going back at least as far into oral tradition as we can look, even further back in things that can be dated, like artistic representations, and then as soon as the written word is brought to North America, we have who knows how many thousands or potentially tens of thousands in various written forms of testimonies of modern encounter or citing claims. And it's not just some folkloric representation, but you could say, at the very least that this person who has a name claimed to see this thing at this place, on this day, at this time, and there's many, many, many thousands of those on record, Versus something like characters in Skandinavian folklore or other traditions like these are representative characters that may or may not have represented something that actually lived in the objective world, in the environment. But there is no history of claims you can't stack up, you know, volumes of testimony. There's no body of physical evidence, whether you know trace evidence or multimedia evidence like vocalization recordings, photograph videos, et cetera. And so it is something that comes up a lot when people say, wow, this is just a manifestation of the wild man archetype, because isn't the sasquats just like the troll, just like you know in Kdu and the epic of Gilgamesh, this that and the other. It's like, well, there are certainly representative characters in folklore that are variants of the wild man, but that's markedly different than saying there's volumes of modern and historical e witness testimony coupled with mountains of trace evidence, some physical evidence like hair, multimedia evidence, and so you know, I don't think there's anything to the Scandinavian or European folklore for that reason, although it might have represented something in the past, I don't think they're still around, if they ever were.
Speaker 5: I've gotten some good reports out of there, out of Sweden and Norway and Finland, and almost all more from military guys on exercises.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I've gotten reports as well, and in fact, I pulled one up really fast as you were talking there, Matt. Yeah, I don't have a lot of reports from Norway in that general, but I do have a couple, and this one here actually came with a little bit of physical evidence. This was submitted to me back in Let's see, what was a date, December third, twenty twenty one. This guy, his name is Stewart. I'm not going to say his last name, doesn't matter. He was outside of a town called Vang, Norway, and he gave me the road and Google map positions and all this sort of stuff, and he basically said that it wasn't really encounter, but he did find some footprints in the snow and he had stopped. He got out to stretch his legs because he'd been the car for like six hours. Took a couple of pictures of the snow tracks and he's no idea what they could be. And you know, they don't look that bad. You know, I've seen way way worse. In fact, a couple of these look like they have toes in them, you know, So what is going on? Out there, and that's not the only report out of Norway I've ever gotten. They are very rare, and I don't you know, and I think a lot of Norway and I've never been there. Of course, I know there's forests there, but I think a lot of Norway is not forested at all. It's just kind of icy planes and stuff. And I could be very wrong about that. But you know what I'll do, Matt is I will go ahead and send you these and you can post more of the membership side. But they don't look that terrible. They might just be misidentifications. And of course I'm just looking at photographs of something in the snow. But you know, not bad.
Speaker 3: Not bad.
Speaker 4: I've seen way worse bigfoot stuff come in, that's for sure, I.
Speaker 5: Mean to be.
Speaker 3: The big demarcation would be if we just use this platform alone and rented a theater, we could fill that theater with people who at least claim to have seen a sasquatch in the last ten years. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, and that's just or probably the last five years, you know it. We would be excluding a lot of people, like if we vetted with our most cynical sense, the people that we believe the most, we would still fill that theater, and we would exclude a lot of things that we're like, I don't know about that one. Whereas you look at these other places where there's just no history, and all the claimants that you can scrape up at least who've offered their story or testimony somewhere publicly might be between half a dozen and a dozen, and a lot of the times it's like, well they're anonymous, and so you can't even connect the name or the place to it. So it gets more and more difficult. Versus in North America, it's it's overwhelming. Nount you know, absolutely gree one hundred percent. But there's stuff, you know, I think that the Stallo and all the that kind of stuff, like the these trolls I guess of Norway. I think that I think that's some sort of cultural echo of these of some sort of relad hominoid being around that area, you know, in the not too distant pass. You know, it could be ten or fifteen thousand years ago, but that's pretty recent as far as you know that kind of thing goes. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised, wouldn't be a bit surprised. Yeah, but interesting stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't see there's any I don't see any reason to totally discount the idea that trolls and stuff are echoes of these sort of things, you know, of some sort of relati hominoid being around in those particular areas. And I think that after the discovery of a couple of these sasquatches or Yetty's or ring Mendex even something, when we start making some inroads into this fact basically that we're not the only you know, we're not the only hominoid left standing, I think that it's going to open a lot of doors and a lot of opportunities for Folklorus, for example, to step out of the shadows and start of applying them, or work in working with anthropologists and trying to get something done on that front. I think i'd be fascinating. Yeah, okay, Bob, do you want to take the next one there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Here we got David p. Has anyone ever used tracking dogs to find or a tree of bigfoot? Bloodhounds and most hunting dogs are able to follow since a day or two after being present. Yeah, I mean John Green had tracking dogs lined up back in the sixties up in the Bluff Creek area, and they used them up in British Columbia. Other people have used tracking dogs, and there's stories of them, you know, getting obliterated, like the Sasquatch just tearing into the pack and killing a bunch of the dogs. Are all the dogs, But the probably more common theme is that the dogs won't they won't, they won't track it for this wine and get all scared, run back to the truck. Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dogs have been used a couple of times. Just this past week. I'm preparing this past week, I was, I was at the shop at the North American Bigfoot Center and I was, I'm preparing a new exhibit on the Bossburg events because it was such a seminal important, you know, find I guess investigation. All the big folks were there, you know, in the big early days, you know, Bob Titmas was there. Ivan Marx was involved in this. Although common misconception is that Ivan Mark found those prints, he did not. Ivan Marx found a second set of prints when he was out with Renee the Hinden cruising around looking. The first set of prints were found in November, I think November twenty fourth, by a guy who was thrown some trash away at the dump. I forget his name, Dan something. If I remember right, I have to look it up in my notes, But I have some pretty interesting archival footage from back in the day at Bossburg, like taken on the scene, probably Ivan Marx, I'm not really sure. It came to me through a number of different corridors. A guy named Jean out on the East Coast gave it give it to me, but he gave me a copy of it to help him identify people in it and what he was like at because he didn't know he had got the footage from Peter Burn and and so going through it, I immediately recognized it as well. Shoot, that's that's the Bossburg events, you know, And there's really interesting things in there. There's there's footage of some of the footprints in the ground. There's a footage of the dump where all that stuff was found, with some footprints there and in the snow. There's even footage of the hand prints that were discovered at the site. And you know, Ivan Marx was involved. So everybody assumes that it was not a real A lot of that stuff was fake because Ivan Marx later went on and apparently faked a piece of footage that Peter Burn basically busted and found out that the footage was not taken at the location that Ivan Marx did, and the creature wasn't as big, and the local some local kids, I guess, knew where they had taken it. So but it buried in this footage. To get back to the question for David, here buried in this footage is Ivan Marx putting tracking dogs on the scent of the tracks, which would be a very weird thing to do if if he hoaxed those I might thinking about it. But yeah, even back in nineteen sixty nine and nineteen seventy, after John Green did that stuff in the nineteen sixties, they were still trying to do it, but to no avail.
Speaker 5: Where we used that dog. In Texas, we had that trained tracking dog.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that. Yeah, yeah, one of our fine Bigfoot episodes. We got a this company out in Texas. I don't remember what they're called, what the name of the company was, but they trained dogs for police and military and all that sort of stuff, and they did kind of a crash course training with their dogs for an episode of Finding bigfoot. Where they trained it on. They got some primate and then undisclosed what kind of primate, but it was a type of monkey, and I think a little bit of the chimpanzee or something like that, which would be illegal to have. So I'm not sure that maybe I'm incorrect about that, because these things are highly protected and all that stuff, and you can't have even hair samples from them. I found that out by asking a zoo for hair samples and they said, we can't do that.
Speaker 5: Here's why Why couldn't they? What was the why?
Speaker 4: All great apes are endangered at this point and you can't have any pieces of endangered animal essentially to simplify it, then there's probably more, you know, intricate details with the law, but that's basically the gist. But they had some access somewhere to something or other. So they trained these dogs to q in on primates. And of course we got hits out in the woods. You know, we heard knocks and these dogs were queuing into something and according to the trainers, they would not have done so dogs don't lie, as they told me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got that killer Ohio, how that that dog went nuts? You almost lost your hand. You remember that.
Speaker 3: Oh, the dog did not like me.
Speaker 5: That's right, holding the walkie talkie had a weapon.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We had these black walkie talkies, you know, and the kind of the standard you know, production walkie talkies that we were using. And I reached for it. The dog thought it was a gun and it flipped out. It flipped out.
Speaker 5: It was not hit lunch you and the guy. The guy just caught it in time, like he pulled the leash back on the other way. He goes, Dude, I mean it got within a foot of your hand. It was just going to tear your hand just right off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would not have been good. I used that hand often.
Speaker 5: That's what she said. Some kid was busting it out today. That's what she said. I was like, like, can you a little my suckle? Like, man, kid, you don't know how hard I have to hold back back every day.
Speaker 3: He'll never stop.
Speaker 5: Now. I didn't tell him that.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, there there you go, David. I hope that answers a question to some degree. So stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages. And now the next one comes from George Eto or Ito. I don't know which one, but both of them, both these guys, both these Georges are asking the question, if you were walking in the woods and you encountered a human or a bigfoot, which would you be more scared of. I would be more scared of another human because you don't know what their intentions are.
Speaker 3: I would say that you equally don't know what the sasquads in are.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was gonna say the same thing as sasquatch, except it's way bigger and more dangerous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, walking in the woods and I've encountered other people on the trail, and I'm not necessarily jumpy scared, you know, but I'm cautious because again, you don't know who these weirdos are out there. I'm one of those weirdos out there, and I'm harmless. Most weirdos are harmless, which is great. But you know, when I take the trash out at night, because I live in the woods, and sometimes those things around here, you know, we all like, wouldn't it be cool if this happened? You know how many times have all three of us on the call and most of our listeners been driving down a road at night, and then thinking what would it look like if a sasquatch ran across the road infurnmans, you know, like I do that all the time. And one of those weird fantasy things I do is when I take the trash out, or if I go outside at night for whatever reason, you know, to take the dog out or whatever. You know, I'm looking across the yard and thinking how scary would it be to see a big man shaped shadow dash across the yard or something off into the woods. That would scare me, then scare me more than just about anything, you know, that man shaped thing, because humans are horrifyingly terrifying and dangerous, and to amplify that by making it eight feet tall, I don't know, it would be more. I'd be more scared of a bigfoot because I have not been walking in the woods and saw a sasquatch do anything. So that'd be a brand new novel experience for my brain to try to wrap around where I have actually run across people in the woods lots and lots of times on hiking trails and stuff, and that's much less frightening, although way off trail that'd be something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say of all the people that I've interviewed and the ones who've had close encounters, no one ever expressed to me that they saw the sasquatch and said like, oh, thank god, boy, am I glad to see you. I thought you might be a person. They're usually quite terrified, and so the vast majority of people that have an encounter on foot, especially if it's close, are terrified, which I just don't think you get that reaction even with scary people. And you know, we've had our own encounters with those, all three of us. There's a whole bonus episode about that, by the way, so if you're not a member, there's an episode with some of those stories. But yeah, I think it would be more frightening to run into a sasquatch at close range than a person.
Speaker 4: Although way off the trail. I imagine my two miles off trail or something like that running across a person out there just like walking along. That'd be a little unnerving, to be sure.
Speaker 3: I've had that happen, but it wasn't super weird or unnerving. But yeah, one time, my wife and I and Jeff Thomas, we were hiking and we walked into this poor guy's camp. He was an archery season had just started, and so I was like, well, you know, we'll be getting out of the woods before like hunting season starts in earnest, and so I'd say, but you know, obviously we don't want to mess with anyone's hunt. It was kind of our last squatching chance of the year. So there was this gnarly roadless trail liss drainage, and I was like, we're going to go way back in here because there's no way there's going to be somebody back there. And sure enough, there was a guy back there. He'd been hammot camping. He was already starting to pack up, so it wasn't like we erupted his hunt. But I had a good chat with him. Super nice guy. But I was like, man, you're you're a hardy dude to hunt all the way back here, because it's a long haul to get back to the vehicle. You know, if he got something, but get all the archery gear and camo and everything, but it is the last place you would have ever expected to see a person. For sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't worry me to see a hunter. Imagine, you know, a guy wearing I don't know, like a like a torn white T shirt. Nothing else. Okay, do we have any more of these matt.
Speaker 3: Yes, for sure, we have one more question. So here is the final question.
Speaker 5: It's all yours, bobs, okay. Sean herm is, Hey, guys, when you go out big footing and you spend the night out, do you keep a fire going to deturb bears or mountain lions? Do you sleep with your boots on if you gotta run out of the campsite? Thanks, love the show. I don't sleep with my boots on or anything like that. Never keep a fire going to the turb bears or mountains, I'll know no one never does for that reason.
Speaker 4: No, I don't care about bears and stuff like that. They can come into camp if they want. I just try to keep it clean camp so they won't want to come in. But no, I don't keep a fire going that night. I just let it die out or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we almost never use a fire unless it's extremely cold, Like we just keep a dark camp and no lights, no fire, nothing like that. And even if it is extremely cold, yeah, we let it go out before we get a bit. I've never slept with boots on, you know, if they want to mess with me while I'm asleep. Hey, that's why I'm here. Yeah, yeah, I don't sleep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would even like put sweatpants on or whatever, like pajamas basically because if I'm tucking in for the night, okay, And if I have to go outside and in my pajamas or my sweatpants or whatever I'm wearing, that's cool. No one's around, who cares, you know, no big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would say if you have to run, either you're running after something, in which case you're not going to catch it. Because if you're running out of a campsite because something interesting has coming to camp and you're trying to catch up with it, that's not going to happen in the woods in the dark. And if you're running away from something, the last thing you want to do is run off into the woods in the dark. You probably wouldn't run your vehicle, so boots might not help too much with the runover to the vehicle. So no, no boots for me.
Speaker 4: Remember Tumbleweed Bubs, Remember that guy? Oh I remember the name, my bud Tumbleweeds. Yeah, he's dead now. Unfortunately, he died like last year and he was one of my best friends for a long long time. He told you, one of the weirdest guys ever, one of the weirdest, like legit, one of the weirdest people I've ever ever met. It would it totally fit in into you know, the island Misfit toys, that is Bobo's like friend circles and humble stuff like he just like one of the weirdest guys. I knew that his name was Mike Johnson, literally the least weird name I've ever heard in my entire life for the most bizarre individual I'd ever met.
Speaker 3: He's fantastic.
Speaker 4: But he told me he would only sleep on couches even though he had a bed, And one of the things he would do is he would always sleep with his shoes on, he told me, in case he needed to get up and go. Just like it's so whenever this question reminds me a lot of tumbleweeds, So hats off to you tumbles wherever you are. Anyway, there we go. That is that the last one for the episode?
Speaker 3: Here, that's the last one for this episode. And then we got a bunch of member questions.
Speaker 4: To get to right on, right on, Well, let's go do that then.
Speaker 5: Okay, folks, thanks so much for sending me your questions. We're gonna kick it over to the Patreon section now, and but for all of you that joined us today or tonight, whatever time you're listening to, thank you very much and keep it squatchy.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond